Speaker 1: Look out.
Speaker 2: It's only films do be buried with? Hello, films to be buried with Crewe. This is your producer, Buddy Peace. I am again standing in for your regular host Brett Goldstein, who you're going to be hearing from later on in the episode, of course, but this is the next in a series of Films to be Buried with rewind Classics, where we dip into the voluminous films to be buried with archives and represent repackage, polish up a previous episode. This week, in an episode originally aired on August sixth, twenty twenty, we revisit a classic appearance from Rob Delaney. You probably know Rob from the big and small screen, from films like Mission Impossible, Dead Reckoning Part One to the series Catastrophe where he starts opposite Sharon Horgan, or maybe his infamous Twitter feed which has been infamous for well over a decade now. Anyway, it's a lovely episode right in the glow of the pandemic, and it took a lot of tricky edits to smooth over the many interruptions from Rob's smaller human companions. But the funny is there, of course, alongside the more contemplative moments. Again, just to reiterate, basically, due to the ongoing SAG after a strike, we will be temporarily on pause, and that's sort of why we're doing these rewind classics, and it's also sort of it it kind of times in well with a seasonal break, which we have every sort of ten episodes or so. Also just to say if you are not already up to speed on the Patreon feature of the podcast, Basically on Patreon we do a video version of the podcast and an uncut and extended version of the podcast too, which has extra questions, a secret, lots more shatter and yeah, it's a really fun way of supporting because you get extra stuff and if you enjoy it, then it's a nice way to sort of so appreciation if you feel like that's achievable and if you feel like that's the doable thing for you, it's all incredibly appreciated obviously, and only goes back into the podcast. So yeah, huge things if you if you do decide to do that, If you fancy rating the podcast, that would be awesome too, but don't need a review of the podcast. In this case, we ask you to leave a review of your favorite film or of just a film, and yeah, make it make it funky. So that'd be awesome to hear from you that way too, So enjoy episode two seven to two, which was originally episode one hundred and seven, The Rewind Classic with the wonderful Rob Delaney.
Speaker 3: Hello, and welcome to Films to be Buried Weird. I am joined today by an award winner, an actor, a writer, a stand up.
Speaker 4: The first person to use Twitter for funny and the first person to use Twitter for good, A legend.
Speaker 5: And icon, a national treasure. Why not please welcome to the show, the brilliant Rob, the lady.
Speaker 1: Oh thank you. Wow, that was a lovely intro. I don't know who you were talking about.
Speaker 5: It was you, my friend. Thank you so much doing the show.
Speaker 4: I have to tell the listeners that I've put made pul Rob Waite about twenty minutes to try and sort out Sam Audia. He's been very polite. Chiel didn't tell me a joke. It was excellent, and there we are. Firstly, let me tell you I told you of Mike, and now I'll tell you what Mike. I watched your stand upsal Jackie on Amazon Pride.
Speaker 1: Bannie, Oh, thank you. You're very kind, Bunnie stuff.
Speaker 5: Really enjoyed it. How long were you in the making of that?
Speaker 1: I mean some of those jokes were a few years old, and then some of them were a few weeks old, you know. But yeah, I toured that around England. I can't say the UK because I only toured England because I have little kids, so and I'm not like a road doug, you know. So I go out like Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, every other week. You know, my agents will be like, how about weekends the time when people go to see stand up. I'm like, no, absolutely not. That's the high that's that's the like battle zone of parenting. That's the Parenting Olympics. That happens once a week. So I have to be home for that. But I had a great time touring around England and sleeping in my very own bed in London every night to do it. Yeah, that's pretty.
Speaker 5: Good, touring around the south and southwest of London. Did you did you?
Speaker 4: Speaking of parenting Olympics, how is your lockdown pandemic?
Speaker 1: I mean, well, first, not only did nobody die, nobody even got COVID nineteen, So that's massive. That's so grateful to be able to say that otherwise. You know, my kids are nine, seven, and one, so it's been pretty intense. You know, like the one year old thinks it's the greatest thing that ever happened because we're all home. The nine and the seven year old are like, why are we only with you hairy old people. I'm talking about my wife and myself and this baby. Like kids that age really need to be in school. And so there have been good parts and there have been bad parts, but I don't know, you know, like it's like a lost year academically for kids, but it's not a last year educationally, Like they've learned a lot about grit, how to overcome boredom, you know, solving you know once a century pandemic problems you know that crop up every one hundred years or so. So like trying to look on the bright side. And you know, I can't say anything about it without saying that we're in a vastly more comfortable position than most people. So underline everything I've said with who cares? Who cares? How it's been for me I do?
Speaker 4: And what about you as a as a creative and a performer and all of that are you Are you writing at home?
Speaker 5: Are you? Are you missing performing?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, I miss performing desperately. I missed the collaborative. Like I remember when I started writing Catastrophe with Sharon Horgan, I was like, oh my god, this is so much more fun than writing alone, because I'd written a book right before that, which I really hated.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like the revisions, like once the editor read it and was like, hey, what if you did this, or could you elaborate on that? You know, once it was into like their rewrites, you know what you would call it if it were TV show, then I really enjoyed it. But I working alone. I used to think that I'd be like a solo flyer when I was like in my twenties and thought I was cool, But now that I know, I'm not. I like people and I like to work with people. So I really look forward to both doing stand up for a live audience, you know, being on a set, you know, actually taking something that I've written and turning it into something with other people. So yeah, I miss all that desperately. Have got a little bit done, but I vacillate from being like incredibly ashamed of myself for how little I've gotten done, and then whenever I do get anything done, I'm like, look with this hero extruded from his soul. So I at pretty average, I think for the sort of comedian writer type person, you know, vacillating between the two polls, never never at balance, never at peace?
Speaker 5: Could you act it before testify.
Speaker 1: A little bit? But nobody really cared. I had to hire myself as an actor before anybody was like, Oh, he's fine. I guess we'll put him in there thing as well. Yeah, so it acted some, but it was not until I acted with my own words that were like, oh, I guess, yeah, he'll be fine. We can't get Matt Damon. Yeah, call him. We call these three people and then call him.
Speaker 5: He talks about this. But I'm interested. Were you will you intimidate when you started testing?
Speaker 4: You're filming with Sharon and she's a lot more experienced.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Were you nervous in the beginning or was it like that?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah yeah yeah. I felt like my writing chops were you know, I was I'm hemming in holling because I want to say proud, I'll just say it. I looked at the scripts and I was like, I like these, but then I would act and I'd be like, oh God, oh Jesus, he is not good, and then yeah, totally so uh. But then over time I began to grow in confidence and realize, you know, it's it's one of those things where the more you do it, the better you get. Like I think any more born can act, like any moron can become proficient at saying things in a reasonably believable fashion. But it does take time. I don't think anybody really hits the ground running with acting because it is it is one of those things where you have to learn all the rules and then forget them, you know.
Speaker 5: What I mean.
Speaker 1: You've got to so to develop the comfort in that crazy environment of lots of people being around it, being utterly fake, having to do multiple takes to be able to seem like a human being, having you know, relatable emotions in that weird mailstream does take time to develop. So over time I think I have gotten there. But in the beginning I was like, Oh, too bad, I'm the actor.
Speaker 5: Well you're absolutely brilliant in it. Oh shit, Well I forgot shit. I should have told you this up front, but I didn't because I'm an idiot. I'll just have to. I'll just have to. I'll just say it and then.
Speaker 4: Okay, and then we'll say it, and you you've died, your debt, you've died.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I don't know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, how did he die?
Speaker 1: How did I die? My god, I don't know. I hope, I mean like I hope after a nice meal with my whole family, like I'm with with my whole family, and then I leave because I forgot something at home, and then a big industrial air conditioning unit that was on a crane being lifted over a road fell on me. So I died instantly. The corpse is unretrievable. I mean, it's just like hamber It's like a thin red paste because what fell on me was so big. So I had a great time, went home to get I don't know, a newspaper clipping. Why is it it's twenty twenty.
Speaker 5: Why if you were planning a hostage letter?
Speaker 1: Exactly? My family and I kidnapped someone and then so I'm really excited because we've kidnapped this person, and then the thing fell on me and I died. Yeah, that's how I died.
Speaker 4: You'd be amazed to have many people, well, I would like to tell what your last meal was, then.
Speaker 1: I guess nothing, not like it wasn't my favorite because I didn't know I was going to die. So it was just like a nice angel hair pasta with meatballs, and I had nice salad, a nice rocket based salad, a nice spicy rocket.
Speaker 4: How old were you and how old would you like to be when this happens?
Speaker 1: Eighty two is fine?
Speaker 4: Okay, that's pretty nice. I mean annoying for the people waiting for the newspaper clipping be brought.
Speaker 1: Back, but they never. My family's so upset they forget to do the ransom and the person just starves to death in a basement in Croydon.
Speaker 4: There, Now, Rob, do you worry about death? We talk about death a lot on this podcast. Do you worry about it for yourself?
Speaker 1: No, I don't. My family would be sad. Uh, so i'd be. I'd really be worried about them. So just for them, I'd like to stay alive for a very long time. But you may know that one of my sons died a couple of years ago. So my feeling is like I don't necessarily believe that we'll like be reunited in some physical you know, Judeo Christian paradise location where we'll get to like corporeally hang out. I doubt that. In fact, I hope that isn't true, because I think that would be very boring for everyone who's been dead for more than a half an hour, they'd be like, okay, wow, this is a lot like Earth. So but I know that when I die, I would get to experience what he experienced and thus share something with him. So I don't want to die anytime soon. But when I do, let's do it. Baby. I really am not worried about it at all. In fact, I look forward to it. Yet I hope decades into the future.
Speaker 5: Man, that's that's fair. Well, that's fat that.
Speaker 4: Do you have a kind of thought of what the after life is if you don't think it's sort of body's.
Speaker 1: Hanging out together, I don't. I hope that it's way, way, way beyond my imagination, you know, like when I think about like, you know, capital g God. Because I grew up I went to a Jewish nursery school. I grew up in a very Jewish community, but my family's Catholic, and then I went to Catholic school, so I had like Judeo Christian god history, folklore, or whatever you want to call it belief. You know that I marinated in through the early part of my life, and the way that that was described didn't really work for me, because I just don't want God to be something that like we can imagine how boring, you know, they say, you know, God created man in his image, and man, being a gentleman, returned to the favor like the idea of imagine a God with like an ego, imagine a God that wanted or didn't want, you know. So I don't believe in a deity, so hopefully we really can't even imagine what it is, you know. But yeah, I hope that it's so beyond us that we can't even imagine. Like if my just anemic, cluttered, horrible, tiny human imagination has any idea what happens next, then it must suck. So I'm just super at peace with not knowing what happens next. But I don't think it's bad because it's going to happen, so it's probably you know, fine, I think that's right.
Speaker 4: I think that is well, what do I know, But I do think that's right. I think it's meant to be beyond our brains, isn't it.
Speaker 5: Anyway. I know everything you've been through and.
Speaker 4: I'm so so sorry for it, and I think I can't imagine, but I also imagine that changes your outlook of the bigger picture in a huge way that it does. Yeah, we're going to but anyway, i'd love for you.
Speaker 5: There is a heaven and it's better than your little brain going to come.
Speaker 1: Up with oh good, because it has a VCR.
Speaker 4: Everyone there's obsessive films, and in this heaven, they're obsessed with films, and all they want to know about is your life through the medium of film. And the first thing they ask you is what is the first film you remember seeing?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And for me that's The Wizard of Oz. No shit, Yeah, that's your first film that I remember seeing. Yeah, and yeah, crazy about it. To this day, I often get angry that whenever people talk about Gone with the Wind, I'm like, do you know that the same director made The Wizard of Oz that same year? I mean, I guess his name, which I can't remember, is like Vincent. I'm surprised I can't remember. I think he took over for Gone with the Wind because back then it wasn't as important who directed it as who produced it, because they had way more power or rather kind of control over the shape of the film. Because Gone with the Wind. I hate Gone with the Wind. I mean I really think it's a mess and long and bad. But Wizard of Oz is amazing. I mean it has everything. It's like scary even if you're an adult, of flying monkeys and melting witches. I mean what it captures in the did you know of like human fear and the elements and the music, and it's just amazing.
Speaker 5: What was the seconds you watch it? Do you remember, like was it at home with family?
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, it would have been on our TV. It would have come on television on a Sunday afternoon or something, so we would have watched it then with commercials.
Speaker 5: Where did you grow up?
Speaker 1: I grew up in a little town outside of Boston, Massachusetts. Okay, yeah, so I mean, yeah, I've watched it with my kids. My little sister watched it. She was five years younger than me, so I watched it and then she watched it. We didn't have VCRs when I was a kid, so it's just what was just what we did by her childhood, so by the time she was old enough to want to watch it, she could watch it again and again and again. I didn't have that luxury. I grew up at a time before petrol and flight and video home video technology. But just the best Wizard of Oz lovely.
Speaker 5: What is the film that scared you the most? And do you like being scared?
Speaker 1: Love being scared?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah? As a kid. For me, it was a film that it came on TV. I think it wasn't a VCR rental. I said, Dad, can I watch this with you? And He's like, it's gonna be scary. I know it's gonna be scary, and I was like, yeah, but I want to please. And he was like all right. And this is a film called The Island with Michael Caine, you know, a mid tier, mid to low tier Michael Caine film. Basically it had some modern pirrating going on. And what happened was a guy like a canoe with like a tarp over it, like bumped into his nice sailboat and he looked over to He's like, hey, what's this And as he leaned over, a guy pulled out the tarp and came and just buried a hatchet deep in this guy's forehead. And I'm super at this point, like maybe six or seven, and I lost my mind and was like, why did you let me watch that? And he's like, I told you to go. I shouldn't have blah blah, you know. And I slept for months afterwards fully in case, like I'd wrap myself up like a burrito on the sides and the top and the feet, like I like sewed myself into a blanket, like so I couldn't breathe. And that was the first film that scared me.
Speaker 5: And you still like these kids?
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh god, I love it. Yeah, I mean like Midsummer My wife and I loved that. We saw that. That was like such a great date for us, just joyously. Yeah, we love horror movies. My wife began to use horror movies like therapeutically when our son was in the hospital, just because nothing that any filmmaker could conceive of would be as terrifying as what was happening to us. So I think it was almost like I would give riddle in to an overactive kid or something like, we would relax with horror movies. So ari Asters, uh, the ari Asser double feature of Hereditary in Midsommer. Midsommer in particular, very very helpful for us. We actually went and saw Midsummer with another friend of ours who had a child die. No, I'm sorry it was hereditary, and the three of us were just sitting there laughing and having a good time while the rest of the I was like, what is wrong with these people? And we were like, quite a bit, quite a bit is wrong with us.
Speaker 4: That's so, I mean, I have to talk about this on the pod as well, but you would be amazed. Look, I've had one hundred comedians on this I redon eight of them say they like scary films most okay, hate most hate.
Speaker 1: You can't get enough.
Speaker 5: Yeah, me too.
Speaker 4: And then I read this whole thing this week. Someone sent me that you were right about science, like genuine psychology, so that it's good for you, that horror is good for you, and that it's a it's a way of dealing with the terrible yeah things that happened, that thoughts you have in the phase of death.
Speaker 1: And one film I found, super Therapeutic was the first Safty Brothers film. Am I saying, I don't know how to say that. Good tie? Yeah me too, because that one's like so tense. It's like Texas Jay'saw massacre level tense. And then at the end I was just like all that stuff. I was just watching it feeling that wasn't happening to me, and then like sleeping like a baby.
Speaker 4: That's funny. What about the film that makes you cry? The nice and now you a big cryer.
Speaker 1: I love when a movie makes me cry. That would be a tie between Broke Back Mountain and The Elephant Man.
Speaker 5: Oh well, a double bar double bear.
Speaker 4: Elephant Man just went my heares. And it is so magical and insane that he made The Elephant Man after making a raise ahead and that Meil Brooks that it was mel Brooks's idea.
Speaker 5: It makes me love mail Brooks even more than I already love it.
Speaker 4: Yes, And I read I just read David Lynch's half autobiography, which is really mad and fascinating, and there's his story of making The Elephant Man's like he you know, he was very young and he'd only made this basically student film, and he went to London and I think Anthony Hopkins was a bit of ad dick to him. I think most of the actors were a bit like, who's this fucking American kid coming here to make it this English story?
Speaker 5: And he said he walked through this street in London.
Speaker 4: He found this street that was like an old Victorian street, and he says, he says in the book, and I felt this wind rush through me and suddenly I understood and could see all of Victorian England. And then you watch the film and you go, yeah, I believe you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think you got it.
Speaker 1: Oh that's amazing.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I remember watching that in a little cubicle I would have been about eighteen at n y U and getting getting it out of the film library and watching it and just weeping in you know, a public library, uh, you know, with like pretty girls around, and I'm like, so beautiful, Okay, so Broke Back Mountain. Just these guys, my god, the pain of this secret that they have to hold is just unbelievable. And it's really weird because like that film is just so brilliantly made in every possible way that I think it just would speak to anyone, you know, like I happen to not be gay, okay, but sometimes I wonder like did it hit me so hard because of like alcoholism, you know, like, because I remember, I'm just trying to think, like, what secrets have I held on to the hurt so much, And I remember like getting sober and finding out that the just horror that I felt inside of myself and like had a name and they might even have a treatment. The unbelievable relief that I felt of feeling like, Okay, now people are gonna know what this is. Like so many people didn't already know, but I was trying to hold onto it so tightly. But I you know, of course that movie resonated with people who are not alcoholics and who also aren't carrying around deep in our secrets, you know.
Speaker 5: But I think you're right. I think everyone has a has a thing.
Speaker 4: They feel shame or they feel darkness in themselves.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I really love that. Really, how old were you when you got sober?
Speaker 1: Twenty five? Okay, and I'm forty three. Now for those people listening who aren't my mom.
Speaker 5: Yeah, tell me this. What is the film?
Speaker 4: People don't like? It's critically not a plant, but you are, like, you guys are dummies. This film's a masterface.
Speaker 1: One film that I don't know why I saw it because I can't imagine I would have rented it. This seems like a dad rental Rising Sun with Sean Connery and Wesley Snipe based on the Michael Crichton book. So that film. First of all, if Wesley Snipes is in it, I watch it. So I don't know that I really need to defend this choice. But the film is just like it's quite boiler plate, and uh, I guess just the interplay. I mean they're an odd couple, Sean Connery and Western Snipes.
Speaker 5: I don't have that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like they don't have that organic free song that Danny Glover and Mel Gibson do in the Leave the Weapon. You know they're not. But hey, if they don't team up take down the Japanese caricatured bat guy, you know, then I don't know what they do. So yeah, there's just sort of darkness. Oh there's a little sexiness. Uh yeah. I just said the movie was fun to me and whenever it came on I never turned it off. Amazingly, that came out the same year as a as a genuine Wesley Snipes masterpiece, Demolition Man with Sylvester Stallone. But like that's not a guilty pleasure, that's just a that's adulterated, pure pleasure. Everybody loves demolition Man and bull How could we forget Sandra Bullock?
Speaker 4: We must, we must never forget. What is the film that you used to love loved him? You've watched it recently.
Speaker 5: And you felt, oh, no, that's not held out for me for whatever reason.
Speaker 1: That might be Spanish Prisoner, Yeah, with Steve Martin and Campbell Scott and David Mammont's wife. Oh, it's crazy, but I think I might have seen that like twice in the cinema when it came out, and then my wife and I watched it recently and just utterly sucks. You know. Yeah, it's really a weird, stilted, halting mess. It would be a good short story because it's just a little gimmick, you know, yeah, I don't remember.
Speaker 4: It's all twist twist, twist, twist. Isn't it all that fun?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah. I mean it would be a fun, oh Henry adjacent type short story. But in David Mammott's hands, it wasn't a good film. And I you know what's interesting is I think David Mammott theoretically he wrote one of his students wrote one of the only good books on acting, which is called Practical Handbook for the Actor by the Atlantic Theater Company. That's a good, simple book because a book. You can't learn how to act from a book. You just have to do it again and again and again and again. But this book is the thin, thin volume that is worth a shit.
Speaker 5: You know, what's your takeaway from that?
Speaker 1: But oh, like, what would this mean for me? How do I get what I want? You know? What am I trying to do here? You know? That's all? Yeah, that's it. That's acting. You know, if you want to put on a funny nose or learn how to go cobble literally like Daniel da Lewis in Italy before you make I think you did that before the Crucible. You can do that too that it won't hurt your performance. But uh, you know, I mean like Tom Cruise is really one of my favorite actors because he doesn't really chameleonize too much in between roles. But since by all accounts he's insane, that's really great for acting, you know, or like Nicholas Cage because they utterly believe what they're doing and as a result, so to you, you don't want you might not want to have lunch with Tom Cruise. But god damn it, I bet you want to watch this movie and jump up and clap when it's over.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so brilliant.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Robb the lady comedian actor. Right, what is the film that means the vice to you? Not necessarily because the film itself is any good, but because of the experience you had around seeing the film that will always make it special to you.
Speaker 1: Right, So I came up with a negative one for this. I hope that's okay. I bet a lot of people are like, you know, well, I first met Lucy and we held hands. No, for me, there's a film called Instinct with Anthony Hopkins and I think you were getting Junior and it's real, really hot garbage. And I happened to be I lived like in downtown New York in the late nineties, and I had some meeting up in Harlem. I don't even remember what for and I got up there quite early or like, I don't know, I had two meetings in Harlem or something. So there's a two hour window that I've got, right, and it's raining, So I'm like, okay, I gotta go to a movie, you know, and hear my little angel bells. So I've got two hours to kill. It's raining, I'm in a neighborhood I don't know, well, so I don't I'm not able to duck in just anywhere, and I can't explore the lovely neighborhood because it's raining. So I got duck in an instinct Anthony Hopkins Academy Award winning Titan Anthony Hopkins and Cuba Ganting Junior, who he might have also won an Academy Award at that point, so you know you're thinking, all right, we got pedigree. Anyway, the movie was so bad that I walked out, even having paid for it. And at this point I have no money, like whatever, the seven dollars it cost me by the ticket like was an important seven dollars, and I was like nope, I just left and I just stood in the rain for like the last like seventy minutes. So I was like, I'd just rather get rained on. And then I went to my second meeting wet because that movie was such unbelievable trash. Oh second runner up meet Joe Black by Martin Breast with again Anthony Hopkins, who of course I love like anybody. Yeah, but he's done some turkeys mit. Joe Black was so bad that I actually saw of a screening at NYU and Martin Brest was at it, and I had to like run out of there because I couldn't be in the presence of Martin Brest, because I would have he would have been like any questions. I would have been like that sucked, and it would have been like not a question, Please leave any questions?
Speaker 5: Why why O a bit?
Speaker 4: Can you explain the thing I never understood about me? Jap Bet maybe have said this before, but I haven't. What do I understand about me? Tay Bet is basically the message which okay, meetjob blat. She meets a guy, she pulls. He then gets hit by twenty five cars that takes about seven minutes.
Speaker 5: He's dead.
Speaker 4: Death comes to visit dressed as looking like the guys she fell in love with, but it's not the guy she fell in love with.
Speaker 5: It's Death. She then falls in love with.
Speaker 4: Death right, but Death then has to go back home to being death, so Death then leaves, but as a tree, sends back Brad Pitt, the original guy, and.
Speaker 5: They get together.
Speaker 4: But the guy she's full in love with is not this guy it was death, but he just looks the same and it doesn't matter. And at first I was like, what's the fucking message this? And then I was like, oh, the message is if you look like Brad Pitt, anyone will love you regardless.
Speaker 1: Of your person that it doesn't matter, it doesn't matter what's inside.
Speaker 4: And then I thought that's the perfect that makes sense is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean that's very valid in this world.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that retracts everything that says in Masterpiece. Yeah, what is the film you're most relating, Rob de Lady.
Speaker 1: I know that they're like big famous movies, you know, but the fact is is Trainspotting and Requiem for a Dream they're not my favorite movies. Yes they're good, but that's really what alcoholism and addiction felt like for me. Like I watch those movies and I just like like really felt that I just remembered this as well. Even more than those was The Two Towers, the second one where Gollam splits in two and there's a good one and a bad one and they're like battling each other. That is actually better than Trainspotting and recom for a Dream at capturing what it felt like for me to be in the throes of alcoholism and addiction. I should also say I don't really like the Lord of the Rings movies. I'm not saying they're not good. I'm just saying they don't really speak to me personally. Those massive tent pole event, you know, billion dollar budget movies rarely tickle me on the inside. It's not a value judgment. It's just me, my genetic makeup. However, when Gonald Splitsten two, I was like, I feel that yeah, so yeah, and then another one and it's just so embarrassing. A chorus line the movie is a billion jillion percent what it feels like to get started in entertainment because the odds are so against you. You have to put out like the purest essence of who you are and just have it spit on and slapped around. So, if you want to know what it's like to have to like make your bones in the entertainment, a chorus line is stop one. If you can't handle that, then definitely don't take the ride. Were you we.
Speaker 4: Always doing what you're doing, like from the university onwards.
Speaker 1: So I that's what I went to college for. I went I studied musical theater, at university.
Speaker 5: Why aren't you.
Speaker 1: I'm actually in talks right now. I mean the most serious talks yet about doing a West End musical. I won't say any more than that, but the right thing may have come along and we're talking about it. Yeah, dude, I'd be pretty thrilled. Oh I can't say what it was, but I actually pre this wasn't because of coronavirus. It was because Disney bought twentieth Century Fox. But I had gotten a huge role in a huge musical and then Disney bought twentieth Century Fox and was like, just put it on the shelf. So I'm trying to get into musicals, so I'll keep you posted. But yeah, no, So I did that, and then my final year of university, I went and saw some comedy and I was like, oh, screw musicals.
Speaker 5: I wanted to do comedy.
Speaker 1: And then I had a detour because of drinking and in being in America where I needed to get. You have to do sometimes you just have to shoot a dream behind the barn and kill it because you have to get a job that has benefits so that you can get health insurance, because that's how America works. So I had i thought for a few years in my twenties like, oh, I guess it's just not going to happen because I have to work at this shit factory to get health insurance so that I can afford things like surgery should I need it, which I did after the car accident that I was in when I was twenty five. So then when I was thirty, is that right? I was like, I'm doing it. Screw it, and I just said, yeah, I'm a comedian, and the rest of the world was like, no, you're not, or at the very least, yeah, we're not interested in what you're peddling. And I was like, I'll show you, and uh, you know. Then some years of hand the mouth and then over time it has worked out. Thank goodness.
Speaker 5: Here we go. This is probably what everyone's been waiting for. Delay. What's the sexiest film you've ever seen?
Speaker 1: So I have two answers here. Sexiest ever? I think it was like seventeen when the film Sirens came out, and uh so the perfect age and you've got Elle mcpheerson, Tara Fitzgerald, all these women. I remember, like Elle mcpheerson talking and interviews how she like gained weight for it, which like hello, like and and just so yeah. I mean, for those who haven't seen it, it's basically it's like a fun It's a good movie with a tremendous amount of nudity where Hugh Grant as a minister and his wife Tyr Fitzgeralder sent to deepest Australia to start a church or something, and then they have to tame this wild artist who likes the paint naked women and son of a gun if they don't wind up getting tamed. But I mean, it's a bright, airy, lovely like women like it. It's not you know, it's not exploitative or anything. But yeah, the thread count is low, you know what I'm saying. And so I remember seeing that at age seventeen and being like, I really want to spend some time in Australia and this is a special time for me seeing this film, I imagine a future where I'll be renting it not infrequently, And so I would say that was the one for me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what was your second?
Speaker 1: Oh this isn't the sexiest, but it is the recent sexinest where I watch and I'm like, come on, man, and that's missus. Credibles but in the incredible okay, you know, and especially whenever she like like complains about the suit being tight or whatever, I'm like, yeah, that it is. It is, Yeah, it is tight. This is incredible, you know, And I'm like, give me. I mean, it's just the that butt. Come on, man, you know, I'm trying to watch a move with my family and you're just parading this butt around, you know, this weapons grade.
Speaker 4: But well, the sub category to this question is traveling by and is worrying whider filmy father rising? You went sure you should? Is your answer incredible? So do you have a different answer?
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm sorry? That was it? Yeah right, that was it the incredible? Yeah, I'm sorry, that's okay. That's I mean, I don't I don't believe in like shaming people for their desires or whatnot. So I'm not actually embarrassed about that. But I am guessing the animators weren't like, yeah, let's make this forty three year old be like growl at the screen while he's watching a family with its one year old wife and kids.
Speaker 4: You know, boy, Rob Delaney, why is objectively, objectively the greatest film of.
Speaker 1: Aute I think again, I think that for me the greatest in that evoking the widest range of emotions from the most amount of people. The greatest objectively, I think is The Wizard of Oz. Yeah, because it's scary, it's funny, it's musical, it's archetypal, you know what I mean. Like it's so it's a very special film and you don't really look at it and you're like, oh, you know, there's no parts that are like threadbare. Like you can look at aspects of Star Wars, you know, a New Hope and be like, well, all right, okay, and then you know, but you can't really do that with Wizard of Oz.
Speaker 4: Profound the Thing of the Wizard, Bhindicut and The Little Manicut.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that holds up. What is the film you can or have watched the most over.
Speaker 5: And over again?
Speaker 1: I think that those that would be out of sight I love Yeah, and Lost Highway my absolute favorite. Now let's start with Lost Highway. I don't think it's the best David Lynch film. It's just the one that I watched the most. I feel like you can dip in and out of it, maybe a little better than certain films of his, because there's episodic aspects, you know, And in terms of his sort of dualistic I think trilogy because the films where you've got this guy is the side of that guy or they're both is blue Velvet, Lost Highway muholland drive right, Like, there's an argument to be made. He made this. He told the same story three times, three different ways. Great, more people should do that if they're as brilliant as him. But with Lost Highway, I think since it's actually literally a different actor playing them, and just all the different vignettes with like the cowboy at the ranch, Oh no, that's that's time, I'm sorry, on the phone yeah yeah, and you know the house that explodes and the saxophone and pullman and uh and crazy uh what's his face?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 1: Getty. If you haven't read any interviews, like recent interviews of him, you really have to. He is so out to lunch, yeah, in a terrible way where like multiple generations of billionaire money have just made it impossible to be a real person. But he did fine in this one film, So just crazy crazy about that movie and then out of sight, I would submit is pretty much like a Rosetta stone for understanding the language of film. Not that Soderberg didn't break a whole lot of new ground with that film and the films he did leading up to it, but it's a wonderful sort of way to begin to understand film the way that he made that. Plus you can feel the kinetic energy of it and the camera work, and if you want to, you don't have to, because it's a totally wonderful, propulsive experience that pulls you right along. But if you want to think about how it was made, you can kind of see how the sausage was made. Like you can feel the camera, you can feel the quickness, you could feel it's like assemblage, you know what I mean. And the way that it plays with time, so it almost like shows its work in a way that rewards repeated viewings.
Speaker 4: Oh, so Outside is one of the sexiest films of all times.
Speaker 1: Oh it's just tremendous, tremendous.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love lest time with so much. And yeah, it's quite hard to get hold of it. It's one of his films. It's sort of got lost of base, brilliant Last Highway.
Speaker 1: I love it so much.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Okay, what's the worst film?
Speaker 1: Okay, so I mentioned Meet Joe Black earlier because I couldn't wait to talk about it. That was terrible. And of course there's like worse low budget films and student films, but with that kind of money, your film has to be good. So that's why I think, you know, higher stakes sometimes higher failures, And it could be this could be an example of how like I thought Spanish Prisoner was good in the cinema when I was young, and I saw recently as sucked. Maybe this film is good, but in the theater, I was like, are you kidding me? Was the End of Violence by Vim Venders? I just remember being Gabriel Byrne, Bill Pullman, Andy McDowell and Vim Venders, right, I mean, and I just remember being like, what, this is such a mess, and it had all this like philosophical voice over, and I just remember thinking, I think I've just seen the worst movie I've ever seen. I think I actually saw it in France. I lived in Paris in nineteen ninety seven and nineteen ninety eight, and yeah, I saw it in Paris. Paris is the best movie city in the world because they have all these repertory movies, so you can be like, oh, it'd be great if I could see Lost Highway at two fifty pm, you know, three miles across the city from me, and you probably can, and so yeah, but I remember seeing so many great movies and then just seeing that turd ball and being really turned off, and as such as a result, never investigating the world of m vendors after that. Who people love probably reason He's probably great, but that film is so bad that I was like, no, just shut the door.
Speaker 4: He's Anthony Hopkins. He's done, and at bad. You're in comedy. You're very good to hit. What's the film that makes you laughed the US?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so comedy, I don't know. There are lots of the good ones. But what made me laugh a lot recently is the Eurovision Song Contest Really Yeah, which has been not getting good reviews. I don't care. But what I liked about that movie was that, yes, it starred Will Ferrell, but in fact he has a lot less screen time than you'd think from a film build as a which he all also wrote, so I think he was quite generous with all the supporting performers. Rachel McAdams is amazing in it, and then Dan Stevens' performance is one for the ages. I could not get enough. Have you seen it yet? Okay? Yeah, So Dan Stevens as the Russian entrant into the Eurovision that they're following is truly out of this world. And it's funny because the only thing else that I've seen him in is Downton Abbey, and the first season of Downton Abbey, my wife and I snorted up like cocaine, couldn't possibly get enough of that glorified soap opera, really crazy about it, and then it sort of dropped off for me. Again, not a value judgment. If I don't like something, that doesn't mean it wasn't good. It just means it didn't speak to me personally. So he was like good in that as the romantic lead guy that one of the sisters fell in. You know, he's just like handsome and five, you know, But then in this he has comic chops that are deadly. All I can say is you and I would do well to spend a lot of time in the comedy gym before we prepared to meet him in a dark alley. I mean, I've seen stuff as funny, but not really. I don't think I've seen a funnier comedy performance. I mean, it's out of this world shit. And the film does move at a different pace than a lot of comedies, So I understand that it might cause consternation with some stupid reviewers, But.
Speaker 4: I love, always hate comedies. Comedies almost universally shipped on by critics. I think critics never get comedies. Yeah, I get it, and.
Speaker 1: It's always fun to see because some some serious actors have a hard time with comedy, you know, and I'll tell you this, Rachel McAdams and Dan Stevens have an easy time with it. So super impressed by them. Of Course, Will Ferrell's funny, that's no surprise, you know, we're used to him being amazing, but these guys hold their own, and that's just incredibly impressed. I don't know. I don't know Dancy Eves. I've never met him, but I actually wrote him a message and was like, good God, you were amazing, like the way like an old man might do an old Hollywood thrown off a note. I dictated a mash note to my gal Friday, and you stole the show in Deadpool tea correct how much?
Speaker 5: Thank you?
Speaker 3: How?
Speaker 4: I mean, you really stole the show? Dep Two and it's really impressive as well, because.
Speaker 5: You're really not in it much. I mean, what are you in it for? But you're the thing that everyone remembers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sort of a like a vignette. Yeah, that was incredible fun, and I was shocked for such a big movie how nimble they were as a product. So, you know, Ryan Reynolds is the is the driving force behind those films, you know, he co writes them with Rhet Reese and Paul Wernick, and then David Leech directed it. Even the studio twentieth Century Fox, he made it. Everybody there was just really like, hey, let's try this fun thing, you know. And so I was amazed how much it felt like being on the set of Catastrophe, like hey, let's give this a shot, you know, because some bigger films don't feel that way. You know, you're kind of slotting into something that they reverse engineered to include all these different set piece action scenes and whatever. But this was just great. They were like, yeah, let's have some fun. Yeah, what do you think it might be funny here? You know, And it's so collaborative and fun. I can't say enough positive stuff about everybody who made that movie. So yeah, just we had a lot of fun.
Speaker 5: Right, You've been amazing, and.
Speaker 1: Oh thanks, this has been great.
Speaker 4: Now. The thing is when you were having dinner with your family, you were eighty two years old, you were all there, You had a lovely tonight. You had the hostage in the basement. You were like, oh, you said to the family. Hate by the way, you just had an angel pasta and like Marina and nothing, nothing special. You were like, I need to get newspaper clipping so that we can cut out hostage. Known for the thing you walked outside, walked into the road, industrial size air conditioner on a cry and just being moved from one house to another, dropped, just dropped backs, then splattered, you pancaked. No one even knew you were that flat into the road. But I had a hunch because I remembered the podcast, and I went along and I was like, oh, and they moved the air conditioning and I was like, look at.
Speaker 5: The fucking statement. Basically, you were a road.
Speaker 4: So I then had to get a digger dig out the road around you. You were filled. You were half tarmac half man. So I had to chop up all the bits, stuffed it all in the coffin. But The thing is I brought a coffin that was your size. I hadn't brought a coffin that was you plus tarma, so yeah it was. You know, it was absolutely packed packed in there. There's really only enough room in this coffee for me to slip one DVD down the side for you to take to the other side. And on the other side, every night's movie night, and one night it's your movie night. What film are you taken to show everyone on the other side?
Speaker 1: I think before midnight. I'm sorry that I just said that. It's okay, but yeah, yeah, I mean some of the films I've mentioned before Midnight, Strong Candidate, Out of Sight, Strong Candidate, you.
Speaker 5: Can take before midnight.
Speaker 4: No one's taking it and it's brilliant, Okay, Rose Lane, Is there any you would like to tell anyone to watch of yours to look out for to listen to before we say goodbye?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: I mean everything that of mine that will be released has been, you know, paused because of coronavirus. So the most recent thing would be my stand up special that you could watch on Amazon Prime in the UK and the US and everywhere.
Speaker 4: Rob Laney, I think I speak on behalf of everyone when I say this has been brilliant and thank you, and I really hope that everything works out with the pandemic and everything so that we get to see you in a musical.
Speaker 1: Oh thanks man, God, I do too. That would be great.
Speaker 5: That'd be so great. Thank you for your tal going to stop the other side. Thank you.
Speaker 2: So that was episode two seven to two of Films to Be Buried starring Rob Delaney. Thanks to him for appearing on the show for a Rewhine classic. Please visit Brett's Patreon page at patreon dot com slash Brett Goldstein where you get the uncut and extended episode of the podcast and there is a video option too, which is always awesome and ye're really really nice to get a visual on the episodes. There's a huge archive there. It started a little way into the podcast, but there's so much stuff on this it's awesome. So yeah, you will not be just pointed. Thanks to Scrubiu's PIP and then Distraction Pieces Network. Thanks to me for editing and production, which I'm getting used to saying as a sentence at the end of the podcast. Thanks to iHeartMedia and Will Ferrell's Big Money Players Network for hosting the podcast. Thank you to Adam Richardson for the artwork and to Lisa Lyden for the photography. Join us next week for another fabulous, of course, episode of Films to be Buried with. But until then, that is it. For now, have a lovely week, and please, now more than ever, be excellent to each other
Speaker 5: Outcush backs, bass back, bass backs, across back, back backs, pass back,