Speaker 1: Hey, vacationing the lawyer. Here's my business card. I'm Attorney Howard Anks. You or someone who knows been heard it. Work ankin Law and get the medical bills paid, the lost wages reimbursed in the compensation you deserve. We're one of the largest filers throughout the state of Illinois of workers compensation claims. We're here to help call three one two six million injury law made personal. That's ankin Law.
Speaker 2: From your favorite source for Chicago White Sox talk, delivering news, interviews, analysis and more. This is The Socks Machine Podcast with your hosts Jim Margolis, James Vegan, and Josh Nelson.
Speaker 3: Hello and welcome to you a new episode of The Machine podcast, part of the Foul Territory Network. I'm your host Josh Nelson, and in this episode, we'll be recapping the Chicago White Sox winning another road series, this time against the Texas Rangers. They are eight and five in their last thirteen road games, and we'll be looking at the White Sox offensive heroes in this series and also take a look around the American League centrals. The Chicago White Sox are still in first place and it is a Texas two set for the White Sox. They finish one series in Arlington, they get a day off on Thursday, and now the Chicago White Sox come home to face the Houston Astros. And joining me in this episode to recap everything that happened in Arlington and take a look as the White Sox come home to face the Houston Astros, the Sox Machines beat Reporter James Svegan and managing editor Jim Margolis and hello gents, welcome to the show. And while there's a lot of positivity with the White Sox season high seven games above five hundred, still in first place even past game one hundred, there is some concerning news. And the one game that the White Sox lost was a butt kicking and unfortunately it came with Noah Schultz on the mound and against the Rangers, Noahs Schultz just went three and two thirds innings. He allowed eleven hits, five earned runs. Good news, he didn't walk anyone, he struck out two, but he threw eighty pitches and couldn't get through the fourth inning and was pretty hit able. And in this season now for Noahs Schultz, it's eleven starts, it's fifty six and two thirds innings. He's got a three and seven record. It's twenty nine walks to forty nine strikeouts, but it's an urn run average that's still above six. And as I mentioned, the Chicago White Sox are still in first place.
Speaker 4: But there we've been.
Speaker 3: Talking about, like the White Sox need to add starting pitching to help out with their rotation, and now James, they're trying to balance, Like I understand the beginning part of the season, their game plan in April, let's call up Noahs Schultz because this is a development season. They weren't expecting to be contending. You are contending, and I can see where it's difficult to balance. And the question out there right now is should the White Sox demote Noah's Schultz because it just looks like he's overmatched right now in the major league level. How could you see the White Sox trying to balance one still trying to win the Ales Central, but two not having to give up every fifth start because Noahs Schultz is learning on the job.
Speaker 5: Uh, probably by finding a different fifth starter or at least cycling went in for a moment at least, Like at this point, I mean, it's not hard to say, like who's a solution, like if you added someone to the deadline right now, Like you're obviously being able to piece together effective Eric Fetti starts even while like being really strict with them being two times for the order more easily than you're so you can seeing No Shultz starts because you can't even do like kind of really the lefty opener thing with him as easily and you're not really seeing lineups dramatically flipped to accommodate the fact that he's left, you know some of it, but it's just not the same dynamic, uh, like his slider, Like if we're breaking down like what No. Schultz was from like a scouting perspective, Like there's a lot of things to it, but like you get these like very cut and dry grades on pitches and one of them was like seventy grade slider, eighty grade slider, like best pitch of the miners, like type of reputation, and it was a non factor for him throughout his most recent start, and it's been something that's been inconsistent throughout or there's been stretches where he really only has like the bigger version that can work against lefties, but he hasn't be able to really master like the sharper tider versions against with against righty's, Like there's other issues in play, Like you know, obviously he's had, you know a lot of starts that's been impacted by like poor control and you wonder like what's up there, and you know, his his fastball is definitely like the sinker has been trending to be pretty hittable for a while and if it starts there. He's definitely had spates of being really effective popping in the four seamer sometimes, but it doesn't have like its own independent metrics. So once like teams kind of game plan around it, that's it starts to lose on his steam really quickly. It's more like this effective little accent when the rest of his arsenal's working or just other pitches. But like if I was given like the simplest like two line explanation, like no, Schultz is known for having a great slider. He hasn't had a great slider, so unless you have kind of like this plan for how he's going to get that out, and certainly that was what he's working on during his bullpens right before he went on was rehab stint, in his rehab stint, and it's supposed to be something that's been around the corner, like why would you be sending him out there otherwise? But until like it's in place, then that's kind of like, you know, the big thing with him him it's not like he needs that to be effective on a given start, but as far as like him becoming a guy who's a reliable contributor to do that without having that thing and working order like this big master strength, Like even as he was coming up, like I remember right ups, Eric Longang was doing it like hey, there's a lot of things that are unrefined here, but he has kind of like an unhittable pitch and that kind of carries him through a lot of outings, not having that little safety valve against the hardest hit like the most difficult hitteries he's ever dealt with. Like his contact rate against him is like over eighty percent right now. Like the contact rates for him look like one of your you know, your better hears in majors, it's near ninety percent in zone, it's near eighty percent overall, and it's not too much chase.
Speaker 6: So like with it's looking that way.
Speaker 5: It's not like, oh, I'm looking at the most recent David Sandlin's start and he's for sure going to be you know, jump in and be more reliable. Maybe like it certainly looks closer visually to what his full arsenal is supposed to look like. Do Shane Smith get consistent and unlocked that in?
Speaker 6: Maybe?
Speaker 5: I don't know, do you do you find someone in the deadline given out of this catching need that we have spent so much time talking about. I don't know how this episode is getting paced together. But obviously Kyle Teel's hurt. That's another thing too. It becomes a question like how many how much resources you have to have this big starter upgrade? And if you do, is it about like are you trying to turn over the back to slots of irrotation or just address this the media and he with Schultz? I think you'd rather have Schultz obviously mature into what you hope is going to be one of the better starters in a rotation. But like right now, the big thing that makes him so exceptional, like we can point to that and see that's not working. Order there's other things that obviously can tighten up and get better. But like until that's kind of resolved, I don't know where you go from here. So you know, Jim can probably finish out my point hopefully.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 7: Is yeah, thinking about Schultz in the way you're describing, I'm kind of going between fastballs and not having his best defining breaking pitch working for him is a fair comp or at least a comp to think about. Is he a left handed Jonathan right now?
Speaker 5: I guess like in the sense of like when it's not working, But you could also ask, like the cannon never like have the outpitch that it seemed more like, you know, he's gonna have this the seam shift to change up to certain or the toe lefties, he's gonna have the sweeper, going to to varieties, and he's going to uh, you know, work to different fastball shapes and so like, I guess it's a little similar in terms of like them floundering looks a little bit because it's a lot of like different shapes that aren't enough distinct enough to like get swings and misses or you know, uh, conclude at bats easily in a way where it's just like too many opportunities for you know, like Tuesday night just being dinked and dunk to death because you can't end these at bats that get really deep when you're not getting early weak contact. So similar, but obviously you want the slider to become this overwhelming thing in the way that like Cannon was always going to be like this stitch of like different methods, different attacks that make it work, whereas Schultz is supposed to have that, but it's also supposed to have the one right tool that you know was always correct. And until that's in working order, you're not going to have the high ceiling guy that you're aspiring to. So where does that occur? Does that occur in working triple A? Does that occur in majors? Does that rely on, you know, more health and trust in the knee? Is that something that's successful this year remains to be safe.
Speaker 3: It's a very popular topic right now on social media, Jim regarding Noah Schultz many and I guess you could put me in this boat right now until I saw on the minor keys on how David Sandlin threw This does become a repeatable question and topic regarding the White Sox. If you demote Noah Schultz. Who are you replacing him with? Maybe it is David Sandlin, But should the White Sox after this start against the Texas Rangers, and looking ahead, next projected start for Schultz is the New York Yankees doesn't get any easier, should the White Sox send Schultz back to Charlotte?
Speaker 7: Not yet? I mean I could see that if they did, I would understand why. But I think, you know, his start against the Athletics was fine, so he hasn't had two bad starts in a row to where you're saying like this doesn't work, Like it didn't work against Texas, but you know there were a couple of poorly hit balls that landed four key hits, to where like if they find gloves, maybe can get through five. It's a different conversation even if it's like an unoppressive five, but with one start left until the deadline, basically for him, without anybody currently crushing in Charlotte's Like, Sandlin's been fine, but you know, I think he has his weaknesses right now to where it feel like you're replacing Schultz with kind of a similar type pitcher. Mason Adams has been throwing mostly well, although he's a kitchen sink, righty, who doesn't have necessarily one out pitch, so you might be throwing him to the same kind of debate after a couple starts, they have a couple guys they can go to. But I think he's probably earn enough Leo Way to have one more starts, see what the trade deadline offers, and see if that, you know, displaces him from the rotation. And then after that, if like say, the trade deadline comes and goes and they haven't displaced him, or another injury pops up to where like they still might need Schultz of the rotation or somebody in that spot, then maybe have the discussion about him or Sandlin or Mason Adams or whoever. But yeah, it's frustrating to watch, and certainly, you know, with the amount of hype that he had, Yeah, I think there is a little bit of fatigue or disenchantment setting in of just like, maybe this guy's that good, but the options behind him aren't all that compelling right now to where like I'll give Shultzen more turn and then see what happens.
Speaker 3: It is funny and how this season has played out and where very positive big surprises the position player side, but Noah schultzen Hagen Smith and I guess we could throw Tanner McDougal with how excited we were and how well he was throwing in spring training. This season just hasn't panned out for those three pitchers. I don't want to say, oh my gosh, the entire pitching development program for the White Sox is in disarray. I'm not saying that at all. It's just kind of funny to me the yin and yang of this season for the White Sox where man, it would have been great if Noah schultzen Hagen Smith performed like the frontline starters that we hope they can still be. On a promotional side, as James teed it up for me, you could watch our episode regarding Kyle Teel's impact on our YouTube channel at YouTube dot com slash Socks Machine. We spent quite a bit of time talking about that specific injury and the impact. Even had our friend Eric Kratz over from foul Territory join us and give us his insight as a backup catcher and being a catcher in the major leagues and the situation for both Kyle Teal and the Chicago White Sox if you haven't got a chance to watch or listen to that episode, we dedicated an entire podcast on the injury for Kyle Teal. So we'll see what the White Sox do and we'll see if they still have Noa's Schultz start against the New York Yankees. But I guess quickly, as far as a roundtable, if the White Sox do make a trade in the upcoming days and the starting rotation, it's not so much of trying to find someone better than Eric Fetti and an opener. It's now thinking how can we buy time to send Noahs Schultz to Charlotte?
Speaker 4: Is that what we're thinking, Jim.
Speaker 7: Yeah, probably just because of options, just because Fetti is fine. I only think you want to Fetti's in the rotation. As we kind of saw with now Fetti going four and then Schultz not getting to four, then Anthony k going five, it's a lot of short starts in a row. So I think you can only have one of those opener two times through type pictures before things start getting hairy. So I think the hope is the White Sox finds somebody who can handle his own start day without meeting assistance and just yeah, pushes everybody down to where yeah, maybe even like k would be fourth and Fetti would be fifth and Schultz would be down in Charlotte's would probably be like the ideal outcome based on where you think the White Sox are shopping.
Speaker 8: If you're watching us, you already know we're wearing mack Weldon right now as we talk about a great brand that makes things so comfortable and easy to wear. But if you're listening to the show, let me tell you a little bit more about mack Weldon with my friend Aer Kratz.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's comfortable, it's light, it's summertime right now. For me, though, they cater to what I need tall clothes. Normally, when I buy tall clothes it's like something that's cumbersome and boxy. It still fits incredibly well, super light, perfect for the summer time. They got me all covered.
Speaker 8: Comfortable performance material can be yours. Mack Weldon is the spot. Don't sweat the heat this summer. Feel as effortlessly cool as you look with Mack Weldon. Go to Mackweldon dot com and get twenty percent off your first order of one hundred and twenty five bucks or more. With promo code foul. That's m ACKW E L d O N dot com code f o U L.
Speaker 9: Howard.
Speaker 1: They're over eight million drivers in the state of Illinois. With that many people on the road, accidents are bound to occur. I'm Attorney Howard Ankin, and if you or someone you care about has been involved in an auto rideshare trucking accident, I'm here to help you. Call my office for a free consultation at three one two six million. I'm Heroin. You need me injury law made personal, that's ink In Law.
Speaker 3: Well, let's talk about something positive for the Chicago White Sox other than Noah Schultz, which that was a butt whoop being lost. But again the White Sox ended up winning the series against the Texas Rangers. They won two out of three in this road trip, going to Toronto and Texas after the All Star break. For a very young team, there was some concern and how they would do, especially after they swept the Athletics and there was some time off, and they responded very well. If you take a look at the last four road series for the White Sox, they are three zero and one, that one being the four game split in Cleveland, but they are eight and five in their last thirteen road games. And what really helped for the Chicago White Sox offensively are the offensive heroes for this series. Miguel Vargus went four for fourteen. He had three doubles this series and drove in two RBIs. Andrew ben Attendee three for ten, but the Vet had five RBIs in this series. And give it up for Chase my Draw. Chase my Draft had a four hit game in Wednesday's victory and he also drove in two RBIs for the Chicago White Sox. And on the offensive front for the White Sox, James, let's start with Chase my Draft and his success.
Speaker 4: On Wednesday night.
Speaker 3: I know that I pointed out as far as his struggles with runners in scoring position. He had two hits on Wednesday with runners in scoring position. We're gonna have an upcoming podcast episode with White Sox Diructor of hitting Ryan Fuller, and again, it's all about decisions, contact, and damage for the Chicago White Sox. Those are the three pillars of their hitting program. And I know the White Sox want their hitters to focus on creating as much damage as possible, but I do wonder with runners in scoring position, is it okay have Chase my draft takes a lesses more and focuses on better contact in those situations to help out the White Sox offense.
Speaker 5: James Well to further spoil our episode when we asked Ryan Fuller about what he feels about two strike approach that I think kind of plays into the same thing you're talking about with runners and scoring position situations where you know a single will do it, is that they're.
Speaker 6: Less opposed to.
Speaker 5: Having a contact or you know, shoot the ball the other way type of approach. It's more than they don't want these physical sacrifices in your swing of like let's tampen your impact for the sake of contact in its own right. They don't like, they don't believe in just touch it as a way of like being successful. And that's really like with the way defenses are, like, that's not necessarily a run scoring plan to just put the ball in play if it's not if it's two outs, or if it's a runner on second like or even just like certain runners on the contact play. We've certainly seen that blow up sometimes. So I don't think one like with Chase my draft, Like, obviously we've seen him be this you know, contact version of himself where he's very dedicated to you know, slapping the ball the other way or kind of hitting low line drives. This is not like new to him in some way where that's not already in his bag. And I think like his contact rates been kind of trending up this month already in a way that like he's already kind of referenced like the level of swing and miss spiking his game this season. He wanted to do more damage, but he's been talking about trying to see it deeper and you know, not being as obsessed with catching the ball up front. So certainly in those situations where he has opportunity to drive and runs while doing it, I think he's already pretty geared to.
Speaker 6: Do that in some way.
Speaker 5: But also like the White Sox methodology is not like swing, while there's certainly probably more you know, damage oriented, and certainly past iterations and what they preach and what they want to see other offense as.
Speaker 6: A whole, they.
Speaker 5: They are very much like we want to see some hitability, want we want to see you like be able to adjust your approach or you know, adjust what prior to the field you're like coming for or show some adjustability in your swing, not necessarily in like h let's spread super out and like take your leg out of it, but let's like maybe say see some different shapes or impact levels. Are you know, more of a slower, you know, back control type swing than you know, your best bat speed for a meatball on the zone, which was like you know the other side of what they preach, and you know it was sometimes it's more obvious than other times when I'm stalling my answer to look up something on Fangrass, but like, yes, my drafts of like his contact rates are like all trending way up from the year over the course of July. He was like eighty eight percent overall in July going into Wednesday night, where I'm thinking he probably boosted it further from that, whereas he was at eighty two for like the entire year, and you're seeing like a lot more or he was like under ninety under ninety percent zone contact for the year and now he's back up over near ninety two and probably over it now you've been seeing him kind of like get back to a little bit more of the contact oriented style. Of his last year, just just kind of a response to the way you're struggling even more than situationally for a while. And this game was definitely emblematic of like why it's good to have offensive diversification. It's very hard to hit a home run in that like massive space prison they built out there. Having that ability to win these type of games on offense is useful, and you know there are going to be series where like Mooney doesn't hit a home run in every game, like because they're playing in Sacramento, and you know, they showed the ability of turning the guys who can win those type of games.
Speaker 3: But to Murakami his credit, he is getting on base.
Speaker 4: He is drawing the walks again for the White Sox.
Speaker 3: And giving Miguel Vargas and Coles Montgomery and the rest of the lineup somebody on base to have some bats with. So the White Sox offensively not a great Tuesday at all, but Monday was fantastic. It was very fun, and of course they're able to hold off the Texas Rangers on Wednesday, and in that Wednesday victory, Jim Andrew Bennett Undy had the other two RBIs and as I mentioned, he had five RBIs in this series, and I don't think, no matter how this season ends, maybe unless Andrew Bennettendi hits a walk off home run in the World Series to help win a game for the White Sox Gym, that he's going to be able to redeem what the first few years of his tenure with the White Sox and how that went. But is he, I guess, starting to inge closer to being in the good graces of White Sox fans with how he's been performing in the role that the White Sox have kind of carved for him, being this veteran dh platuny with Randall Gridchik, I think.
Speaker 7: You're seeing professionalism went out. I think when it comes to Ben and Tende, I think in multiple regards, like in terms of he's got three fifty seven average with the runners in scoring position. I mean part of that is padded or boosted by a very aggressive pinch hitting strategy for him and having Randall Gritchick coming in as the right handed component, so he's not in unfavorable matchups a lot of the time when he has runners in scoring position, but he's cashing in a lot of those opportunities when he gets them. You have the you know, his kind of willingness to handle d H most of the time and play very little outfield and kind of accept that the metrics, the feeling, you know, whether you're using the eye test or whether you're using stat cast, like, wasn't good out there in left field, and so the White Sox have mitigated that by having other guys stand out there. And he's accepted that. He's accepted being a platoon guy, even though you know he probably has based on the interviews that we've had, you know that James has talked to him about when it comes to his general displeasure with how he's played as a White Sox. He's not trying to salvage it himself or say like I can dig myself out of this hole, or just if I get all the advats that I did this contract has me deserve, then I should be able to play myself out of it. Like he's He's handling everything gracefully, and I think he's producing well enough. I think it's funny watching Vargas and my Drath and benin Tende like it was a win for the hit Tools. I think this series and with my Drath in benin Tendi. It's a win for the guys that, like White Sox fans seem to want to replace as quickly as possible, even though like nothing is shoving them out of their current roles. Like Ben and Tendi could theoretically be not very useful as a DH. You know, if Kyle Teel wealthy, if Edgar Carroll were producing, if Pereira and Hayes and Gritchik we're all productive at the same time, and you know, Murakami and everything like that, but like they haven't been. And he's been hitting well enough the whole time. He's been an average bat with an ability to shape his swing when situations demanded. He is producing well enough to earn his keep, and so like, yeah, you can't just, you know, just dismiss him for nothing, discard him because he's producing. Maybe after the season you look around the league and say, like, well, does any team want to take on part of the salary make better use of him? But right now that is not that season, and he's doing well enough. So yeah, if this team gets the postseason and Ben and Tendi is being an average bat who is favorably deployed to make the best use of it and has somebody whether it's Skritchick or Austin Hayes if he comes back, or Pearro whoever, helping to share the playing time there, and he handles it well, like I don't see any reason why fans should hold the contract against him. Yeah, I kind of write that off is a problem with the previous administration and just you know, the kind of decisions that they painted themselves into a corner with in terms of you know, how you know what kind of player they wanted, what they were willing to spend, and how they couldn't trade themselves out of the roster that they'd built, and then Ben and Tendi was the guy that they could afford and just didn't work out. But I think this is a different enough stage, a distinct enough situation to where if you treat him as like a Gritchick, as like a veteran outfielder who is a left hand bet that needs right hand to help, but we can give it to him, and you set aside what they paid or you had the obligation, then he's doing his job well enough, and you know, he's part of the reason why the White Sox offense is among the league's better.
Speaker 3: Ones and really came through again for the White Sox on Wednesday, some big RBIs he and Chase my draft. I have a feeling before this season is over that Andrew Bennett tende is going to have one big moment in September that helps the White Sox make it to the postseason and then everyone will just kind of look at each other and be like, you know what, it was worth it, The contract was worth it to have this moment. Like I'm kind of rooting for that for Andrew Bennettendy.
Speaker 7: He's been and I'm hoping we can. I'm hoping we can snip this quote just because like I was watching your GM Sports appearance and they like reusing your best case scenario of the White Sox being over five hundred and looking to add at the deadline, and so yeah, I think keep laying down this optimism in a way that we can snip and replay after he does something big in September, Like I like what you're doing here.
Speaker 3: When you lose enough steak dinner bats Jem, at some point your luck has to swing back in your favor.
Speaker 5: I'm personally just looking forward to like this big cathardict Homra and everyone like is gushing on social media and in person and then getting post game and Andrew Benettanti, He's like, yeah, looking for a good pitch to hit, put a good swing on a good moment, good run for the boys, got to keep.
Speaker 6: It going and.
Speaker 7: Nothing no nutritional value.
Speaker 5: Well, I wonder World Series before nice game already kind of on his way out of its and is as egos and process it ballplayer mode and like it's basically forgotten about it the next day.
Speaker 6: It's just it'll be fun to watch a circle of life.
Speaker 8: Todd father, are you hitting some games this summer?
Speaker 9: What's the deal?
Speaker 1: Of course?
Speaker 7: And it's real simple, Scottie Braun.
Speaker 10: You know how it is. You go to seat Geek and you can find any deal you want in any section you want, even if the game sold out. Go to seat Geek and you'll find something that you love, affordable for your family, that you can enjoy anywhere, anytime, at any ballpark and stadium you want enjoy it.
Speaker 6: It's the best opportunity to go see a beautiful game of.
Speaker 8: Baseball, and that's the thing that you can be so last minute. Sea Geek is the official ticket marketplace of Major League Baseball. They have you covered for all of your baseball ticket needs the entire summer. They also have over seventy thousand events on sea Geek that includes concerts, festivals, all kinds of sporting events. So go check it out right now. FTFAM the code is Territory ten for ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at sea Geek. That's ten percent off with promo code Territory one zero. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app, and then the code automatically is added to your account so you can use it later.
Speaker 3: For the White Sox, they now start a kind of a tricky seven game home stand here. They've been playing very well at home, with the first three games this weekend are going to be against the Houston Astros. As the Astros this year forty nine and fifty four, the White Sox did a solid for them as the Astros won their series against the Marlins. They've won their last two games and with the White Sox winning their series against the Rangers, the Houston Astros are just two games back in the America League West. They are three and a half games back of the American League Wildcard, so they're not out of it yet. They're four and six in the last ten games. They are twenty four and twenty seven this season. Away from Houston. You're bitching probles for this series. Friday night six forty pm Central Time, started by Spencer Aarraghetti for the Houston Astros against Davis Martin for the Chicago White Sox. In Game two of this series. On Saturday night six to ten pm Central Time, it'll be Hunter Brown for the Astros against Sean Burke. Will see if Sean Burke continues his heater that he's been on in the last couple of months. And then the final game on Sunday afternoon. This is a wee ten pm Central Time start. It's Ronelle Blanco for the Astros who just returned, and it'll be Eric Fetty. We'll see if the White Sox decide to go with an opener for Eric Fetti as Jim Road an excellent feature about the opener situation, how the White Sox have been handling and been performing using an opener this season. Highly recommend reading that. And I bring this up, James because Jordon Alvarez, so instead of asking you for a key of the series, I'm going to give you one. The White Sox have to figure out how to limit the impact that Jordon Alvarez has on this series as Jordon leads the majors and home runs in RBA, He's got thirty four home runs and seventy seven RBIs. Now, what's the best way for the White Sox to deal with your on Alvarez in this series?
Speaker 5: James, I was cycling through, you know, kind of some prior examples from the episode of Homer at the Bat and like ways that superstars have been felled by off the field means, I think the Steve Sachs route is most realistic for a modern age, you know, getting him pinned for like a series of unsolved murders upon his arrivals of the city. Failing that, he is, you know inclase entering Wednesday night only a one thirty five WRC plus against lefties as opposed to over two hundred against Righty's so pretty cool that Anthony k and No Schultz wan face him and all that wouldn't.
Speaker 6: Have helped either one.
Speaker 5: I guess like you do have four relievers in your your bullpen for a reason. So opening for Eric Fetti or just like if someone has a shorter start to give way the Chris Murphy because Jordan and Alvarez is coming up. You know, that would be a crazy way to attack it. Looking at the breakdown versus pitch type, he's only you know, slugging four seventy nine against off speed or change ups, only a three ten XPBA, which you know sounds horrific, but also all his numbers against fastballs and breaking balls are so much better than that. So David Martin wants to flash a few kick changes, certainly seems like the time for it. Sean Burke wants to dust that thing off. I know he's mostly curveball against lefties and it's served him very well. But you know, showing him a change surely can't hurt Eric Fetti. What in his arsenal, Like the splitter hasn't been something he's turned to a lot, don't I don't, maybe don't get too crazy there in terms of doesn't have a pitch you barely used all season in this situation, and.
Speaker 6: Yeah, don't have someone on dase.
Speaker 5: I think that's gonna be the big thing that was, you know, Sean Burk's big thing about like facing the athletics lineup when they were banged up into dev Nick Kurtz is, like, my main strategy was just having the bases empty for Soda Shrum and Langlears when they got up, and.
Speaker 6: After that, I'd probably be okay.
Speaker 5: Astros, you know, certainly have some other bats that are worth worrying about in terms of pretus.
Speaker 6: And the Christian.
Speaker 5: Teermy Penny is healthy, but yeah, Christian Walker. But I think Alvarez is such a tear above everybody that like really like whatever you can do to just like really drill down on like not having people in front of them whenever possible, Like, I think that's probably gonna be something that every starters harbue on in postgame interviews, even if that's like the analysis version of pitch Good. In terms of advice, it's there's nothing, he's a hitter, you're really without major flaws. It's it's gonna be hard. I remember, like was it twenty twenty one, uh Gara Crash got like walked off on him on like a sweeper that he put like aloan away and you're Alvarez like ripped it for a walk off doubling. He's like, yeah, that really sat my confidence for a little while. It was like, Garrett, I think you gotta shrug that one off. I don't think it's about you, buddy. I think he was able to with time, but he's kind of a hitter who really just confounds any game plan.
Speaker 3: Well, I think that's excellent analysis for Yard on Alvarez and uh, I know Jim will always appreciate he Simpson's reference on the show We'll see the White size.
Speaker 7: I was thinking Josh could set his house on fire maybe and see if Alvarez sees the smoke from the park and runs over to help out. I think one for the team Josh the different.
Speaker 5: Camera that's still in the house that he has to row and go back in for oh.
Speaker 6: Man car.
Speaker 3: In so making sure nobody's on bass, what y'ord on Alvarez is batting. That's a solid strategy, Gym and maybe the White Sox do you use multiple openers in this series? But what is a key for the White Sox in this series other than having to navigate the you're on Alvarez situations in order for the White Sox to pick up another series win.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Alvarez is the first place to start, and given that he's leading all triple Crown categories and know that triple crown is kind of you know, it doesn't maybe mean what it used to, but it's still a nice tidy way to say a hitter is doing a lot of damage and important situations. I'm all for, like him having a highlight at the park hopefully, you know, in terms of fan anguish, it's not when that makes their breaks the game, but just something cool that happens, like if he threatens where the goose used to be. That would be fun, just because it's nice to go to a ballpark and see a great player do a great thing. But setting that aside, I think this off day certainly helps. But then after that, I think you with seven straight games Astros and the Yankees and then the Rays after that, I think it's incumbent on the front end of the rotation to start delivering some length and starts, because after going four, three and third and five for the series, like you can go to Grant Taylor for a couple of innings and go for Sean Newcomb for a couple of innings, Like you can do that and steal a game here or there. But I think if you're trying to win games against credible teams to very good teams in the case of the Yankees and Rays being the two best teams in the American League, it does require I think a little bit more rest for the bullpen, or at least a little bit more novelty to where they're not throwing three innings in a series and that's the only way you can get by. So I think having Martin, having Burke come in and deliver some length, you know, six innings hopefully would be I think a way to get the bullpen to be rested in a sense where wil Venable has enough options to go after Alvarez the best that he can in late game situations that present themselves, or at the Yankees and Ben Rice, et cetera as they go on. That's I think probably the biggest case because I think if Burke and Martin, you know, work shorter starts, then you have Fetti and you have Schultz. Maybe then it kind of gets in the situation of like this is, you're kind of going through that Charlotte carousel of just need a fresh arm who's available.
Speaker 3: The white socks, at least on paper, in my opinion, have a deeper light up than the Houston Astros. These are potentially tough fridys the White Sox are facing this weekend. They'd be greater these left handed batters continue to produce for the White Sox.
Speaker 4: We've seen a wide range of outcomes.
Speaker 3: We know they have the potential to put up double digit runs, and we know that they can come up with some key hits, but we've seen some clunkers in the middle of the games where the offense just simply doesn't show up. So hopefully a little bit more consistency for the White Sox in this series against the Houston Astros. And I know we're all waiting for Munataka Murakami to finally hit a home run, but I do see some good signs from him as far as he at bats, still finding ways to draw walks, still being able to hit doubles, and being.
Speaker 4: Productive for the White Sox.
Speaker 3: I just I've got a feeling that a home run is coming soon from Murrakami and they'll get him on a hot streak.
Speaker 4: So if you.
Speaker 3: Can go toe to toe and match up with jord On Oliverarez with home runs this weekend, that'd be great.
Speaker 5: Like if you cover like home games, like if you're there long enough, you'll see like the visiting team, like they'll walk across the field and through like that gate that's in center field. That's like where they have to go through to like exit for wherever, like their buses. Like that area like right beyond the fence where it's just like a tunnel through. There's plenty of room to put like a mystery spot or like kind of an endless falling pit for someone. Obviously he still gets to play like the first game of the series, if that happens. I was looking at the numbers, like Fetti's a splitter change, and it's been getting like more whiffs than I probably gave it credit for. He's been used against lefties, so that's a tool he could use. But at the same time, he grew up in Vegas, so he's probably seen like a hypnosis act at some point. If he could get going on to like start clucking like a chicken, because based on like some things he's seen, why not you know, throw kitchen sink at him like he use the split change, but also the hypnosis at the same time, you know, guys still try to strike the chicken out, you know, even if you do get that, So I think there are a lot of ideas to mine from that episode in general.
Speaker 3: Well, it's very educational, not only entertaining, but great ideas from James at the White Sox implement and trying to shut down jord On Albarez.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Josh, I think Arson is the simplest.
Speaker 4: Arson is the simplest. Ye, I'll just set my house.
Speaker 5: Are they are they flying in a day ahead of time, they have time to go, go out, get into a history debate at the bar that you know turns violent.
Speaker 7: Sure that will do it.
Speaker 3: For this episode of the Sox Machine podcast. If you guys have any other suggestions from the TV show The Simpsons and how the White Sox can handle your on Elverz this weekend, please let us know in the comments section. Either on our YouTube channel at YouTube dot com slash sock Machine or on sox machine dot com. You can subscribe to the Sox Machine podcast the audio version wherever you listen to podcasts such as Spotify and Apple Music. And of course this is now a video podcast, so you can watch the show at YouTube dot com slash sox Machine. Please subscribe to our YouTube channel. We just passed three thousand subscribers. So thank you so much to everybody that recently subscribed to our channel. We greatly appreciate you. Follow us on social media. James will be at the stadium this weekend, so if we're all White Sox News, follow him at j Rfigan can follow us at sox Machine on all the platforms.
Speaker 4: You can follow me at socks Machine.
Speaker 3: Josh As we'll be having videos coming from the ballpark this weekend. We'll be uploading those on our YouTube channel as far as player interviews, manager interviews as well pre and post game, and we'll see if Chris Getz talks to the media before this homestand you could also help support sox Machine by sign up to be a sox Machine subscriber at soxmachine dot com Slash Products. Monthly plans typically start at five dollars, but we continue to run our sales. The Chicago White Sox are still a winning team. Your first month is just fifty three cents, so sign up at soxsmachine dot com. Slash Products take advantage of that sale and unlocks the comments section for you and also the ad free version of the website. We have additional tiers of support to give you additional benefits, including some spots still remaining in our Veterans Committee, that you can be part of the group, chat and have direct access to us and bester us with questions, especially with the trade deadline coming up. So if you're interested and want to help out, Soxmachine got to soxsmachine dot com, slash products and sign up today. The Sox Machine Podcast is a production of Soxmachine dot com.
Speaker 4: Here for all of the things Chicago White Sox Baseball.
Speaker 3: I'm part of the Foul Territory Network alongside James Vegan and Jim Margolis.
Speaker 4: I'm Josh Nelson. Thanks for listening and watching.