Speaker 1: The nick A Gliser Podcast. Nick Glaser, here's NICKI here.
Speaker 2: I am welcome to the show. It's the NICKI Glazer Podcast. Another week of shows, two to be exact. It feels substantial. I'm here in Los Angeles, California, kind of on a ranch. I'm not in rehab by the way, if anyone thinks that it's been sounding like that, but I am. I am on vacation from my touring life on a ranch in Los Angeles, California, and I'm with my boyfriend who's visiting me.
Speaker 1: It's Chris Confy everyone, Hey, guys, welcome back to the podcast.
Speaker 2: And then also here with us as always is Brian Frangie. He is in actual Los Angeles, California.
Speaker 3: Well, actually I'm in Culver City. I'm in Los Angeles County County.
Speaker 1: Yes, in the city. I tried to make it.
Speaker 2: I was like, I don't want people to go find you, and Culver City feels like people would just like walk around screening.
Speaker 3: Culver City is actually the same size as my hometown, Wanta, which is only eighteen thousand people.
Speaker 2: Wh w A N T A U g h incorrect w A N T.
Speaker 4: A U No, No, No, it's W A N T T A g H.
Speaker 5: That's correct. I've warned no you.
Speaker 1: So close wantag. Then Tanya is in uh.
Speaker 2: Kingston, New York, and then Noah is in somewhere in New York as well.
Speaker 4: Monroe Warwick. I'm dy lexic with w's and ms.
Speaker 1: Do you guys have this?
Speaker 4: No, When words starts with a W, I often file it away as an M A word don't that is? If anybody else has that, please reach out.
Speaker 2: I feel really alone in this and that was something, but I can't think of what it is, but I yeah, I do that with certain things where well, I have the thing where if I'm in a country where you're always driving on the opposite side of the car or the or the road, I will get in my head because I'll first go to the car and I'll go to the driver's thing that I'm used to, and so in my head early on in a new country, I'll say opposite, Nikki, opposite, It's always opposite. So then the second and third week, I'm like, I'm nailing it. But then I cement the opposite in my head as the normal, and I go opposite Nikki, and then I'll start going to the other side back to the original, because I have cemented the opposite, not the what the side.
Speaker 1: Is, right? Is that what it's called.
Speaker 2: Sometimes Chris Confey is visiting me here he got in.
Speaker 1: Friday. Did you go there just for Ani? Just for me? Yeah, just for the reason special?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, another reason.
Speaker 7: I wanted to see Oppenheimer in the seventy Like the huge Imax. There's only like I think there's only like twenty of them in the country. In LA has four of them.
Speaker 1: Wow, And it's.
Speaker 7: Impossible to find two seats in a good spot at an imax. I mean they've got they've got showings at uh, you know, eleven am and twelve forty five pm, and still you can't yeah both, Yeah, who.
Speaker 1: Would want to do that?
Speaker 4: It's a three hour movie? I saw it? Did you see it? Can we talk about it?
Speaker 1: I haven't seen it.
Speaker 6: You don't want I haven't seen it. I can't. I can't find this.
Speaker 2: At least I'm not that sad that I don't have to watch a three hour movie. I would go with my boyfriend to anything, but three hours is a lot lot.
Speaker 8: Let me tell you this, this is not a spoiler.
Speaker 4: I did have a near not a conflict, but a discussion, a strong discussion with my sister about this because we were all visiting my parents its last week and Maya really wanted to go to the Imax in San Francisco, an hour from my parents' house or forty minutes to see Oppenheimer. And I'm like, these guys are eighty two years old. Let's just go to the nice big screen in San Jose at whatever mountain view shoreline. They have a huge screen, many huge screens.
Speaker 1: Let's just do that.
Speaker 4: Nope, I want to see the Imax, just like really driving with them for an hour and then it's a three hour anyway, here's what I have to report. It is perfectly fine to see Oppenheimer on the big screen. It is a grand film with grand themes of music and visuals like it's it's plenty big enough to see it on a normal big screen.
Speaker 1: Just don't go to go to the Imax. You don't know, and not.
Speaker 4: To see it, like your your senses will be tingling after just seeing it on like unless you I don't know.
Speaker 1: I just don't think it's that worth it.
Speaker 3: It isn't the I'm trying to justify a like if you have a bad boyfriend. You're like, you can, you can. He's fine even though he's racist or whatever. It's good enough. You know, he takes it, pays for dinner.
Speaker 7: But aren't there those things that you want to see at the like their most at their like peak, the peak way of doing it. Yes, you know, like there's this there's a few things that you're like, I want to see, you know, it would be like seeing Bruce Springsteen at the Stone Pony would be exciting.
Speaker 4: But there's only one scene that that you would want to see it on Imax. The rest is just like dialogue that like you think it's gonna be bomb bomb, bom bomb.
Speaker 2: It's My friend Lizzie Cooperman said that there's one line that really bothers her in it, and it was like something she was like, it's too modern of a line.
Speaker 7: At the end of somebody goes Oppenheimer, You're the bomb that that was the end of the movie.
Speaker 2: It was like it's going to kill a lot of people, no, cap no, it was it was something like like Matt I didn't even know Matt Damon was in it until she told me that he says something like they were like, well, there's gonna be something about zero casualties or something. He says like zero would be good. It was something like some kind of line like that, like where she goes. This sounds too modern? What's going on here?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 8: They were talking like that in the Wendy's I heard that.
Speaker 2: There's music throughout the whole thing, and it's so intense, even in dialogue scenes.
Speaker 1: It's just the music never stops.
Speaker 2: Lizzy did say I saw three movies this weekend and it was Oppenheimer And it's so.
Speaker 1: True, dude, that's what I said.
Speaker 4: I'm like, Act three did not need to be there. It's like Act one and two are plenty.
Speaker 1: I don't think I need to see this movie. Did you? Is it changing your life? Did it change your life? Like? Are you thinking about it a lot? Like Barbie? I've been thinking about it like it was. I was like, you know who made this movie?
Speaker 3: Men?
Speaker 1: People who goes? You know?
Speaker 4: Who really wants to hear me talk and watch what I did for three out? It might have been three plus A man would be like a movie.
Speaker 1: I love movies made by a man.
Speaker 5: They're great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're for you.
Speaker 3: We can't just be watching Barbie every weekend. Sometimes you got a boxer who has an abusive abusive boxer or a Mafia movie. You can't just be watching Greta Gerwig and Francis Hi every weekend.
Speaker 6: I'm not a film.
Speaker 7: I'm not a film like nerd or geek or anything or like or director nerd. But there's something about a Christopher Nolan movie that you're like, I really have to I really want to see this really Yeah, Christopher Nowell, I think he's.
Speaker 4: Hard on soundtrack. Then that bothered me as a like a music person. Also HSP twenty five person.
Speaker 1: She scored a twenty five that's pretty high.
Speaker 4: It's so much, it's like also it's quick cut quick cuts, so you feel like you're watching a movie trailer for three hours. It's like scene with Matt Damon for two seconds.
Speaker 1: Wait, I kind of like EMI and you'll love it.
Speaker 4: It's three hours of that where you're like, you feel like, wait, when are we gonna get to like one scene of dialogue?
Speaker 2: Does Emily Blunt have to be in everything? Honestly? Does she have to be in every movie that men make? Men fucking love her? Like?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like the way she talks with.
Speaker 2: Her teeth, kind of her lips kind of covering her teeth and she just looks. And then there's the one movie where she doesn't talk at all that they probably like the most, the quiet place or whatever. Like she's in everything? Isn't she in everything? And everyone loves her? And I'm sure she's great and she seems like a wonderful person. And I'm captivated every time I see her on reels and I watch anything because her face is beautiful. But isn't she in a lot of things? And isn't she the only action woman that even works anymore?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Like what happened Tomila Jove? Can we put her in some of these?
Speaker 1: For it's digastic? Some of them too. She's also over forty.
Speaker 5: Used to do Who's the New One? And to armis? I guess?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And sheild aged too.
Speaker 4: There's the Bond films.
Speaker 8: Yeah, she has quams.
Speaker 1: Oh she does? Oh big? You got a googlery?
Speaker 2: Well, yesterday we did something. I went with Brian and Chris and Brian's wife Ali.
Speaker 1: We all met up to go to Auschwitz. That's right. I don't think he went to Auschwitz. Well, they brought Aschwitz to us.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you that we went there in our minds and our hearts and our souls.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've been wanting to go to this Auschwitz Museum exhibit for quite some time, and it's you know, there is it. It's at the Ronald Reagan Librarian Museum, which is in Simi Valley, California. Very interesting grounds and also extremely crowded and popular, which I had no idea people cared about this point Christ.
Speaker 2: They packed us in there like something that's a reference. It gave the full experience that was it was hard to get close to a plaque to read it.
Speaker 1: There were so many people there. It was sold out.
Speaker 6: Supposed to be.
Speaker 3: It was supposed to be the final day of Auschwitz, but then they expanded it to January, so we got tickets to the last day that it was supposed to be.
Speaker 5: That's why I think it was so incredibly crowded.
Speaker 2: I think so it was they should have sold less tickets because that made it for not a great experience. It just you were constantly like maneuvering around someone who was spending too much time there to prove to you that they're sadder than you are. I just saw a lot of people just I think it's a now vitual reaction obviously, but I think there is some kind of performative thing going on in there or who are like who's the most bummed by it? All?
Speaker 1: Wins? Yeah, like who takes the most time? Who?
Speaker 4: Who?
Speaker 1: There's a lot of people. I was just because I would.
Speaker 2: I would kind of zip through it a section that you know, there's too many plaques, too much reading, and you also have headphones. That's and you type in a number and it tells you it like speaks to you, so you can't read and also listen at the same time. So I would stand off to the side and just watch, and everyone does this thing.
Speaker 1: Of looking and then going.
Speaker 2: Shaking there and just shaking their head and looking up like God, and it's it. I understand because I caught myself doing it a couple times too, and it is so horrific that you do that at times. But I think it was performative at some points because people knew how crowded it was and there's everyone around. I wonder if people would go through by themselves, if we would have as much head shake it.
Speaker 1: You know what I think it is. I think think it's body language.
Speaker 9: It's like you communicating with the people around you without having to say anything.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 2: And I'm not here for any other reason than to be horrified. And I'm not here for morbid curiosity, which most Peomale are. I'm here to honor it and and yeah, which you know is a part of it. But I think most of the reason you go to the Auschwitz Museum is out of morbid curiosity.
Speaker 4: I would think you'd go to learn, or at least, did you guys learn anything you didn't learning?
Speaker 2: But like would you learn about something boring? I mean, this is there's nothing boring about you know what I'm saying, Like, well.
Speaker 6: It's learning.
Speaker 7: But I also think it's like I think it's like a responsibility that we all have to go and pay our respects to these these people and like so many of them were forgotten. But like by being there, it feels like, Okay, we're doing we're doing something for.
Speaker 2: Those looking at a shoe, I really did feel like a looking at a woman's shoe who's nameless, who will never know, but looking at her shoe, looking at the stitching on it, looking at the way like her bunyan kind of made the side of the leather poke out, like seeing the form of her foot made me feel very connected to that person and like, wow, if this, if I had this happen to me, I would wish someone would stare at my shoe and take their afternoon to like read about it.
Speaker 1: And that's the least you can do. And so it did feel that way.
Speaker 3: Aside from the people, there's a societal responsibility to understand the profundity of it all and just remember that it has happened and it's possible to happen, and it could happen again. And if we forget that it happened, then it could, you know, we could go down that road and not recognize the steps towards the Holocaust.
Speaker 1: And not and then it could happen again.
Speaker 7: That's like being reminded of those being reminded of those steps, you know, like the little indignities that led to like monstrous atrocities.
Speaker 6: Was it's shocking.
Speaker 7: It was just like the step by step by step until it was an absolute disaster.
Speaker 3: A lot of people have the question that like, well, how could you let this happen? Or why didn't you flee? Why didn't the people revolt? Stuff like that, and it's like you have to remember that back in the forties, the Holocaust hadn't happened yet. The idea that somebody would be taking millions of people to gas chambers to mask murder all of them was not even the concept that people had in their brains yet. So nowadays we know that that's something that's possible, that that could happen. And so if it could, if it happens again, or someone talks about it again, not in China, where it's happening currently, then we'll stop it from happening, or we'll at least have more knowledge to prevent the atrocities happening in China. There's genocides happening all over the world and they're just going on and there's nothing anybody can do about it, and it's horrible.
Speaker 9: There's a group of the Muslims who are being oh right, I love it.
Speaker 1: It's just like going, oh, yes, yes, that's like all I look up now, look up, look up, yes you shake your.
Speaker 7: Sorry, but did you guys read that one? Like Polish guy who's like, all right, I'm going to prove to people that this is a thing. He got captured for something. He went in there, he went into Auschwitz, he figured out a bunch of stuff, then escaped, then like wrote a book about it, then told, you know, told his government, told governments in London, and everybody's like, all right, fine, you know cool.
Speaker 6: I guess people didn't really believe it.
Speaker 1: And then he got Yeah, he did get hung. Yeah.
Speaker 3: There's a couple of observations I have about the Auschwitz exhibit that were interesting. One is, when you go to the Ronald Reagan Museum. The round Reagan Museum has like Air Force one and it's a bunch of other things. The Auschwitz thing is just an exhibit. So in order to mark you as someone going to Auschwitz, they give you a sticker that you have to wear on your shirt.
Speaker 1: Is it a yellow star, It's a purple circle.
Speaker 3: It's a purple presence. Bisexual, yes, yeah, purple. No, there's no iron, just like, oh, you're going.
Speaker 1: To house stripe jumps suit, you're going to Auschwitz.
Speaker 3: Put on this sticker and that'll mark you as someone who And then and then you walk up to uh, you walk up to the entrance to the museum and there's a guard there, and the guard looks at your sticker and says, you go to the left Auschwitz, and the people who don't have stickers go to the right, which is the Air Force one plane.
Speaker 5: It's insane.
Speaker 1: Oh my crazy.
Speaker 3: Second place is there's guards in the Auschwitz exhibit, just sitting there, full uniform guards, like there's security guards, museum guards like Paul Blart, Mall Coop or whatever. And we were there at the last timed entry points, so the museum was closing at six. When it got into the five o'clock hour, the guard would stand up every ten minutes and say, all right, move it along.
Speaker 1: People like I.
Speaker 3: Would be literally like a game in the train car exhibit, and she'd be like, all right, let's go, come on, you gotta keep moving. You're not gonna be able to get through Auschwitz in time. It's like, do you not see then?
Speaker 1: Yes, I felt that same way. I didn't connect it.
Speaker 2: The last thing that I did connect with, like it's so this is so exactly what we're going through. Is when you have to give up your headset at the end and you throw it. There's a guy sorting all of the headsets and you just got done looking at people had to go through all the Holocaust victim's personal belongings and all the silverware and all the things they brought with them, just whatever they could grab, and they tried to burn it all, and all these things are mangled together because they tried, the Nazis trying to burn it all to get rid of the evidence. So there's like these spoons and like it looks like these art projects, just all this mangled metal. And then at the end you have to your fucking headset and he goes just throw it on the pile, and there's this like sad man sorting through all this stuff and it's literally three steps away from the mangled like shoes and all the things that people have to sort through and the bodies that they're sorting through and pulling them out, and like just the the headset cords being tangled. It was very visually like just what you had just seen. Kind of was there another one that you had, Brian before we go to the break.
Speaker 3: The third observation I had was it didn't seem like there are very many Jews in the Auschwitz exhibit. Like I'm looking around, I mean I didn't I didn't see anybody that looked Jewish. I saw a lot of people that probably aren't Jewish. Interesting, Yeah, I just want to care I'm Jewish. I was looking around and I was like, I don't see any Jews here, huh. And you're thinking it'd be all Jews, right, Yeah.
Speaker 7: I think there's something really positive about that at a Ronald Reagan museum, that there's a lot of people that are like paying their respects and honoring what took place. One thing I found, like, you know, kind of amazing is how much the the the people, because you know, you got to listen to interviews and you would read about people that were like people everybody needs to know history needs to know about what happened here, like that that like resist that woman who scattered teeth that were removed from people's mouths, like all over the yard so that they couldn't hide that. And then all these all these people that wanted, you know, their story to be told.
Speaker 2: I thought that was And then the whole thing empties out into the Ronald Reagan National Library gift shop, where the only people shopping in that thing voted for Trump. And so those people, I hope went to the exhibit because there who is buying anything.
Speaker 1: They have a purple sticker.
Speaker 2: They have no Trump stuff in that place, by the way, and you could tell people are kind of like, where's the Trump stuff, because there's If you love Ronald Reagan, you probably and so it was like, of all people that need to know about this, it was nice that that was what it was.
Speaker 1: There to get back. Okay, wait, wait, what you know a cliffhanger?
Speaker 3: You know what Ronald Reagan's campaign slogan was right in nineteen.
Speaker 2: Eight We'll find out when we get back right after this. All right, we're back, Okay, Brian, what what was Ronald Reagan's campaign slogan back.
Speaker 1: In nineteen eighty four?
Speaker 4: You can guess there's no such thing as aids. Didn't he a one time completely deny?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 5: What was his slogan?
Speaker 6: Was it making America great?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 5: It was make America great? Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 2: So do they know that? Did they know when they said make America great again? They were doing? That was just coincidence. I don't see them ever having any kind of foresight like that.
Speaker 1: Reagan.
Speaker 6: Yeah, of course they knew.
Speaker 1: They knew.
Speaker 7: Oh my god, yeah, I mean they've they were. Whoever did that was yeah new, whoever helped him do this understood the history of American politics.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean yeah, it's just probably too close to uh, you know, make America grade, Make America grade again.
Speaker 1: There's a it's probably too close. I do want to say that.
Speaker 2: Uh, yesterday, before we went to the museum, I was looking through my closet to pick out something to wear because I'm kind of running low on stuff because laundry doesn't get done that often for me here, and I said, I was looking through my closet and I just kind of laughed to myself, and then I said, Chris, do you think I should wear this today to the museum?
Speaker 1: Are you ready? This is a YouTube exclusive? Are you ready, Chriss? Should I wear this to the Holocaust Mudium? No? Can you believe I even own this?
Speaker 2: And this is an option in my fucking wardrobe for everyone at home. It is a blue and white striped long ways vertically striped.
Speaker 1: Summer dress.
Speaker 2: But it looks it's like the top two it's I mean, is the exact if I would have been wearing this in there, and I I almost I would have worn.
Speaker 1: This had I know such a curb your enthusiasm moment. Oh my god, I can't wear that ever again. Now after the girl in the stripe again, pajamas were you aware.
Speaker 3: Again, were you aware that that's what the prisoners wore in the Holocaust or were you just not thinking, like, oh, could I wear this?
Speaker 1: No, I was doing it as a joke to him because I knew that.
Speaker 2: The only reason I thought of it was because I was talking about going to the Auschwitz Museum with my two Jewish friends who I'm with a bunch here, and they were like, yeah, make sure you wear your striped pajamas, and they made some joke like that, and I go, oh my god, I have to show you guys what I have that would be fucking so obtusive me to wear. But I'm so clod they made that joke because I might have worn that, and we might have not thought like, would you have caught it?
Speaker 1: You think you would? Thank God, I didn't even know.
Speaker 3: It.
Speaker 2: Was like when I went to the wishing Well Wall and was wearing short shorts just like.
Speaker 1: The Whaling Wall Western.
Speaker 2: Western Wall, sorry, the Western Wall, and I was wearing like booty shorts and felt so horrible about how disrespectful I was being, and they gave me a skirt. It would have been that same thing, but so much worse. Strips aware, Yeah, they can you forget me about this.
Speaker 1: Happened for me too. Yeah.
Speaker 9: I wore a mini skirt and like some gypsy lady ran and tied a scarf around me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's stole your wallet.
Speaker 2: I was. There's a part of me that was like, fuck this. I'm a woman, I can wear what I want. But more than anything, I just felt like I don't want to shame. I don't want to be embarrassing. I want to respect what's going on here. And I felt like embarrassed more than I was like they shouldn't cover up my woman legs. I can drive and vote. And I just felt more like I'm sorry than I was being a woman here.
Speaker 4: So you guys go to the Berlin Terror of or what is it terror? Yeah, yeah, Museum of Terrors. How did the Auschwitz Museum compare so much?
Speaker 1: How do you say better?
Speaker 7: Well, it was the audio you got, like a great audio tour, which I'm sure you could have gotten at the Tower of Terror.
Speaker 1: But yeah, but we we had a sound check to.
Speaker 2: Get to.
Speaker 3: The exhibit was one of the best museum exhibits I've ever been to, and I've been to a few. I've been to dogs, I've been to the Titanic. I've been to Uh, I've been to a lot of museums, but I've been.
Speaker 6: To Bodies is good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, body is pretty good, But that's bodies is not really an exhibit. To me, Bodies is like a whole thing. It's like going to circ to Solet. But to me as an exhibit, Auschwitz was like up there with with some of the some of the greats and museum exhibit history, like, uh, elephants.
Speaker 1: Do you guys remember elephants?
Speaker 2: I felt bad because I was cruising through it faster than anyone. I got to a place where I like ended this one part, like it was probably a fourth of the way through, and then you have to go downstairs. So I go, oh, i'll wait for everyone because I'm done. I'll just sit on this bench nearby and wait. And then I was waiting there for fifteen minutes and they still weren't and I go, I must have missed them. They must have gone downstairs, and I was looking at my phone or something, and then I went back and they were.
Speaker 1: Still like ten minutes away from me. Just being at the park. I was, so I was thirty minutes ahead of you, guys.
Speaker 7: I may go back today because I'm going to go see the Air Force one and yeah, with the Reagan Library, I may go back into.
Speaker 2: I want to just take a quiz about it and see what the fuck I missed that you guys didn't.
Speaker 1: Oh, I still score a perfect score.
Speaker 4: I'm sure you were one of those people in high school that just was able to skim through stuff and ace things. I have to like reread a chapter seventeen times before I can retain anything.
Speaker 2: I did kind of have a thing where I was like, Okay, I know this person is starting this plaque at the same time, let me see if I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, if they're a.
Speaker 2: Slower reader, or if they're just like And then I did beat everyone that I read placks and I wasn't trying to speed read. I was like, no, don't try to show off right now. It's your own little test that you're doing. And I do read faster. And then there's lots of German names that I skip and if they're like I was wondering if you read a thing, okay, Brian Chris, if you're reading a plaque.
Speaker 1: And there were many plaques.
Speaker 2: That said this this prisoner, and then they would say the prison number, write their number afterwards, Prisoner s two five, six, eight seven.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, would you.
Speaker 2: Read the whole number or do you skip it because you know it's a number and who cares no offense to? I mean, like, do you do you go five six, two eight nine or do you just go that's a number. I'm just gonna move my eyes.
Speaker 3: I read the entire number and then I write it down and I.
Speaker 1: Put it on No. No, this is a real question.
Speaker 3: On a bench and think about it. I reflect for five minutes.
Speaker 2: I take the lottery and also I do this for German names or any names I just get me.
Speaker 1: I would read everything. I'm just, I am just. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I have like a condition where I I need to know everything about every I need to know all of the information.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: And it comes and it comes from childhood. I think, because I say this all the time, that when my parents were divorced, that information was kind of hidden from me because I was too young to really understand it. So Ever, since then, I have been a guy who needs all of the information. And if there's ever any information that's been kept for.
Speaker 2: You, never going to a divorce museum, You'll never get you out of there.
Speaker 1: I'll read every plan.
Speaker 3: So I'm reading all the things, and I have to say I was the last person in the I was the last person to leave.
Speaker 5: Yeahshkis thing, Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, did you guys wait for Brian and Ali?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Oh, you were like peace out?
Speaker 2: Well I told Chris I found him at the you know, I found him when I after I waited, I go, hey, what's going on? Like, are you guys? Are you reading every little thing? Are you reading every word on the maps and stuff like? And he was really nice about it. He was like yeah, I think oh, and he goes, because you know the audio thing, we know what number we're on, and he goes, we're on like twenty two. At that point, I think is in the thing and and I go, I want to be out of here in an hour and fifteen minutes. And he goes, what, how does how many numbers are there? I go fifty five and he goes, oh shit, okay. So then he starts zipping along and then he keeps up with me. Alan and Bryan are way and there's they're still at fifteen or something, twelve or fifteen and we are out of the music. When I sent you that text, did you get that we were leaving and not going to wait for you.
Speaker 1: Did you what what number were you at?
Speaker 6: Do you think?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think I was around I think I was around thirty eight or something. Okay, okay, expected that text. I was checking for that text like every ten minutes or so, being like when are they going to leave?
Speaker 5: Because there's just no way.
Speaker 3: It's like, uh, it's like if I go to a restaurant with you, you you eat faster than I do. I eat like, uh glacially slow, and so like if you finish your meal, you have to sit there with me the whole time.
Speaker 1: He's eating around the pandemic.
Speaker 2: Ryan eats cookie. I'm not joking you and kit cats, this is not a joke. Everyone gear If you have been tuning out of the podcast until now, now's the time to listen.
Speaker 1: Brian will listen.
Speaker 2: Brian will take a kit cat, a big cat and a big cat okay, and suck on it. He will lick it like a lollipop, like one of those giant jawbreakers. That's how long a giant job or a complete cookie, you know, the big ones from Lenny and David or whatever. Let Larry.
Speaker 1: He will nibble and suck on a cookie hour.
Speaker 6: You don't suck on a cookie.
Speaker 3: He does.
Speaker 1: He sucks on a kit cat and a cookie.
Speaker 6: He's stuck a cookie. You suck on a cookie kit cat.
Speaker 9: I get because you're probably trying to melt the chocolate around the wafers, like trying to.
Speaker 2: Take because he wants to enjoy it. It's like a weird eating disorder that's acceptable.
Speaker 4: For Ardashian only eats kitkats in this weird way.
Speaker 2: I've seen. It doesn't take her four hours to eat a kit cat. Brian will be twenty minute and then he does wafer Nikky does everything quickly.
Speaker 1: Though, But sucking on a kick cat is so funny.
Speaker 6: It is funny.
Speaker 5: It's just that I've been around.
Speaker 4: Put it in your mouth and you're like fucking like deep throwning is.
Speaker 1: I don't like.
Speaker 3: It takes me a long time. It takes me a long but I'm savoring it. I've found that if it doesn't matter if you take a molecule of a food or you take a huge chunk of a food, you can still extract an equal amount of flavor from it. You get satisfaction from a molecule and flavor from a molecule the same amount as you do from a huge chunk.
Speaker 1: So I was.
Speaker 2: Thinking about you in that Holocaust exhibit because they were like, we would have to make a piece of bread last four days, and I go, the only person I know that could do that is eighteen plaques behind me.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's right, but no, it makes a big cat. I have a cake cat.
Speaker 3: I make an afternoon of it.
Speaker 2: It's amazing self control. But you yeah, you go, you're slow, you go at a slower pace, and you have a comp like you're a completionist, like you.
Speaker 1: Got, yeah something, you got to end it.
Speaker 3: It took me a really long time to do to learn that thing about books, like if you don't like a book, just put it down and don't read it. But for this the longest time, I was like, I've got to read this entire history of eighteen fifties France or else I'm going to miss out on the one thing. You know what book I read that I just hated the entire time. The sound and the fury just like an.
Speaker 7: Because everybody, everybody talks about how great it is.
Speaker 6: And it's so cool, so you know.
Speaker 3: This is rambling nonsense. I hate this whole thing. It's a bunch.
Speaker 1: It's a stream of consciousness, drug addled horseshit.
Speaker 4: He is oddly esoteric, and I don't understand what he's saying.
Speaker 1: People would read.
Speaker 2: Faukner for any other reason than you have to for a class. This is the same with James Joyce. Like people who are like pretend to like this stuff, I think they're much better people than me. I automatically go, this is a genius, because there is no way I could ever glean any enjoyment from this stuff that I'm talking about. Having to read a paragraph over and over and over. It's there's nothing. It's just I never understood it. As an English major. It just seemed like torture to read those things. If you do read that stuff for enjoyment, you're better than me.
Speaker 3: There's only one time that that I forced myself to finish a book. I had to reread paragraphs over and over again. It was excruciating to get through. And it was a Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking, which I read that when I was in high school. It took me like an entire year to get through it, and I feel like that helped me have a better understanding of like the universe or whatever.
Speaker 5: It was worth getting through.
Speaker 1: It is the point.
Speaker 3: Okay, the only book though that that's ever happened with that. I was like, this is excruciating. I hate reading this. This is so boring, but it was worth it in the end.
Speaker 4: Some good songwriting advice too that I got was just finish a song, no matter how bad you think it is, even if it's short. Just give it a verse, give it a chorus, try to write a bridge and wrap it up. But don't leave song ideas just sitting around because you're never going to get back to them, which I've found to be true.
Speaker 1: I couldn't.
Speaker 2: I think it is healthy to abandon things that aren't working or you don't like, and I think that that both are true. It's like one of these kind of advice life advice things that I find so annoying because the both the opposite and the and it are true. Of like if someone is in your life, like there's always just these things that I find are just paradoxical and you're like, Okay, well.
Speaker 1: Which one am I going to do?
Speaker 2: And that one is finish the song, but also like, don't waste your time doing something be able to aband. I think it's healthy to be able to abandon things that aren't serving you and to stop this like little thing that you have in your ego of like I must do it all, or like superstition that I think people have. I think it can be ocd sometimes to be like I must finish and everything, and it's a huge time waste and it takes you from doing other things that are actually beneficial to you. But I will say that Brian is extremely smart, and it's probably from all of this stuff that you've gleaned.
Speaker 4: I agree with that abandoning books and things. But if you start, if you're creating.
Speaker 1: Even burning books.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I've talked about it here, but I want you to know on your list.
Speaker 4: I want to keep that to myself. You have a lot of beliefs and ideologies you guys might disagree with.
Speaker 1: I'm just kidding.
Speaker 4: No, I think just with like it something you're working on, there's something healthy about.
Speaker 1: But I don't know.
Speaker 4: I'm I could change my mind too. I think there's something healthy. I look at it like abandoning it. I can abandon this thing, just finish it. It doesn't have to be great it's more like just I don't know for my song group, like I'll turn in a shitty song, and that to me means it's done, rather than being like I'm gonna I'm going to a polish this turd and turn it in Sunday.
Speaker 8: I'm never gonna do that. Just turn it in.
Speaker 1: It sucks. Who gives a shit?
Speaker 5: That's how I feel about kids.
Speaker 3: Like, if you get halfway through a kid and they're boring you, you should just abandon them.
Speaker 5: I think six seven years.
Speaker 1: Old dog, Yeah, the kid thing.
Speaker 2: Well, many, many, many besties wrote me about why they want to have kids or why they think people want to have kids.
Speaker 1: I got many responses.
Speaker 2: I got a great one today that I really loved that I think is spots on, and I went.
Speaker 3: Can you rephrase the question so I remember exactly how you asked it.
Speaker 1: I just was saying, like, why do you think people? What is what?
Speaker 2: What's your reason for having kids? Because I'm working on a bit where I want to cover every single reason possibly that someone could have kids, and I want to address every little aspect of it, and I don't because I hate what I'm watching a joke and someone's like covering all the angles and they don't cover my angle that I'm like, well, actually I do that because I.
Speaker 1: Have a really good point that you didn't cover.
Speaker 2: And you're acting like you've proven this thing that I like wrong, but you didn't even consider my angle. And if I want to prove it wrong, which is not, I don't want to prove it wrong. I just want to address every angle. And this said said, ever since I was little, I've always wanted to be a mom. I thought it was just this maternal instinct. Now that I'm in my thirties and haven't had children, I think I felt that way to heal something within me. No, my parents should have never had kids. Lots of childhood trauma over here. Even though I recognize it could stem from some unhealed place, I still want kids. However, I want to adopt, which admittedly probably comes from trauma. I don't feel the need to pass on my jeans. But there are kids that didn't ask to be born, and I know they could give them the love they deserved. I thought that was interesting that because I'm trying to figure out what is the instinct, Because as animals, we don't have the instinct to want kids. Kids just show up. We just like, all of a sudden, we're pregnant because we had sex. We didn't connect sex with having kids, so there was no like we until we became intellectual enough to like actually go, oh, this thing that I do when I get commed in makes a kid. We just we just had sex and then all of a sudden, nine months later we were like, I had a kid, and you go, and they're so cute. That's why babies are cute. You have this thing that's suddenly a burden, but it's so cute. You raise it and you and you need, you know, help around the fucking village and stuff. So the the wanting a kid for any other reason than like labor and having your I don't know, just like, yeah, other than labor, cheap labor, free, labor continue.
Speaker 1: I don't understand genetic line but that's an it's an instinct.
Speaker 2: But people people don't say that I want to have kids because I just want to continue my lineage. People say it because I just want to be a mother, and you go, well, that's not it.
Speaker 4: What wasps do? Like rich wealthy white.
Speaker 1: People, they really meant the animal loss.
Speaker 4: I think a lot like people want to continue their name, their line, their jeanette. Maybe they don't talk about it as much, right, Okay, I want to have kids to take care of them.
Speaker 2: I hear that sometimes when they're older. Right, Well, that's that's the one I've that touched on. You don't want to die alone. You want someone to put up with your disgusting body and old age, like the way you are when you're old. No one really wants gives a fuck about old people because they're supposed to be dead and they live too long now, and so you need younger people to take care of you. Yeah, so you want that, right, That's the problems run hardware stores.
Speaker 1: They want someone to sign people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I want, like, you know, their son to run the hardware store.
Speaker 2: Also, I got a message that said I'm watching episode three forty four of the podcast you Anya and Chris in London.
Speaker 1: I'm a heterosexual man.
Speaker 2: First of all, I just wanted to point out that I think Chris is looking directly into the When he looks directly into the camera, he resembles Vincent Vega with a good haircut. And that's John Travolton pulp fiction. I don't know, I don't set.
Speaker 1: That's a good one. Also, you do.
Speaker 4: This, I think he's like looking in the camera. Can you guys tell the difference between this where I'm just staring at Nikky and Chris and now I'm looking into the camera like hi guys, hi audience, there's no you can't.
Speaker 1: Tell it all.
Speaker 6: I'm looking at who's talking?
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, isn't that a John Volt?
Speaker 2: But then they said at the end, like this party goes, Chris seems like a great guy. Because I didn't see I didn't once see a hint of an eye roll during the entire pot Okay, thank you. Yeah, that is telling me, sir, you were tired of my uh antics and you but that that is true. I don't get an eye rolls from my boy even last night. What was I doing last night that was just so annoyed? I interactionently interrupted you, and then I kept interrupting you to like make it even because I could tell it. It was like a little annoying the way I interrupted you, and so I go, oh, I'm going to get out of this.
Speaker 1: By keep doing it right a bit that you were Yeah, and it kind of did. It made it a little fun.
Speaker 2: We were like laughing a thing that we've been sharing this weekend that I'm obsessed with is the new show that I didn't even know happened.
Speaker 1: It just popped up on Netflix.
Speaker 2: There was no warning because Netflix doesn't really advertise things before they're out.
Speaker 1: And it's called Down for Love.
Speaker 2: Down for Love to be called Downs for Love, but that would be too hard because it's about people with Down syndrome looking for love. It is by the producers I would imagine. I don't have this confirmed, but it's shot in the same way and it's in New Zealand, and it's why the same people who made Love on the Spectrum, which is one of my favorite shows of all time, great show, and it's downs under people looking for love.
Speaker 6: Such a good shit, it's amazing.
Speaker 1: And this is just as good like it's.
Speaker 7: I prefer Love on the Spectrum, but there's something that is even more uplifting about this one because Love on the Spectrum there's a lot of misses. You know, there's a lot of people that don't connect and and you know, don't have like a big spark in on this It's like everybody is sparking. There's some sparks. It's all sparks, and it makes people. People fall in love within seven words with I'm not kidding you.
Speaker 2: They start saying I love you within ten minutes of meeting each other.
Speaker 6: It's amazing. So there's beautiful things about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I go, you know, maybe this is happening because they have an intellectual disability. I mean, what downs them is they are going to be less intelligent than most people. And sometimes I think, wow, we all, we all could just love each other the first person you going to date with. We all could love each other that much if we weren't, if our intellect didn't get in the way. It's almost like they are better off in that way of having They can just love so much easier, more easily.
Speaker 6: It feels like there's like a purity to the whole exper Yeah, and.
Speaker 1: It doesn't make me.
Speaker 2: There's a part of me that goes, well, they're just kind of stupider, so of course they're going to fall in love like, oh man, they don't even know what else is out there.
Speaker 1: They can find something better.
Speaker 2: But then I go, I can't imagine Carlos with someone better than Eleanor even though at.
Speaker 7: First I go, norlay, Yeah, I wanted him with Libby.
Speaker 2: I was like, Libby and Carlos would be the best match you because you meet people on the show spoilers, you're there's nothing spoiled because every person they go out with they fall in love with. There's no chance they won't end up together. Yeah, Lebby, Actually Libby's the one because there is a spec there's a spectrum of people in the with Down syndrome where it's like there are some that are more highly functioning than others, and Libby is a very highly functioning woman with Down syndrome, and she's a little bit more selective. So you see the more. And then sometimes they are so have it so much. I don't know how, it's like it's different or whatever, but sometimes they just they're not capable of really connecting.
Speaker 1: Like the one guy, her brother that she brought on the date with her.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah that girl's brother, and he like couldn't really even talk to his date. But you just want them to match up intellectually. You want them to be on the So you start to learn all these people with Down syndroom and go, oh, he'd be great with her. Oh they're this, they're they both like they both have the same you know.
Speaker 1: They're on the same level.
Speaker 7: It's great to just abandon cynicism for like a half hour and just.
Speaker 1: That's such a good points.
Speaker 7: In the beauty of people that are like excited about each other.
Speaker 2: I hate to say this, but when I watch something if I we were talking about it last week with Lucy, if I'm watching or listening to enough Louie, I start talking like Louie. I start thinking like Louie and I have been a little bit more like I love that, like a little bit happier, a little bit more like have the I have like the disposition or I want to have the disposition of people with down syndrome because they are so cuddly, they're so happy. This morning, Chris was cuddling me in bed, and I go, is someone getting a little downs? Because it was like it was so because they love cuddling, They love cuddling and kissing. It just shows one side of them. We can't say that all of them are you know, no, we don't want to.
Speaker 1: Do it, but it is. But I have.
Speaker 2: I looked it up on it and it was really it is a It is a thing they that most of them and not all of them, of course, not all of them.
Speaker 1: We all are struggling.
Speaker 2: They have struggles they but there is no question that they are happier than the most human beings.
Speaker 1: There's no fucking question.
Speaker 2: And maybe to me if you have experience and educate me about And I know they're aware that they get made fun of they're where, they have a disability. They are aware that life might not be as easy for them and they don't get certain things and they're bummed out about that. But I am obsessed with people with Down syndrome. I again, like the way I felt after I watched Love on the Spectrum.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I want to be around this more.
Speaker 2: I want to be around these people more because they are so pure and so joyful about the things that they do love and they're so cuddly. They're so like I know, being a parent to someone with Down syndrome must be just a fucking really hard road and all the things that go with it, but much life Love on the Spectrum the parents see are blessed that they have a Down syndrome child. Yeah, and maybe that's how they spun it in their head, But I don't feel that way.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 6: I love the parents on the show.
Speaker 7: They are so like I mean, you know, it's probably like they chose people with good families and stuff to be on there, but those the parents that are on these shows are amazing, with some of my favorite pace on any shows ever.
Speaker 2: And I'm telling you, if you want a baby, if you want a child that never grows up and is always going to be cuddly and like you're you know how moms go. God, when he was six, I was all he wanted to do was cuddle. And now my baby doesn't even want to touch me, and he's throwing things and he's slamming doors and locking me out. They are so cut, Like you know, imagine a kid going on his first date when he's twenty or whatever, which is not that late or whatever, and this mom being like, you look so handsome. You go out there and imagine that son, a twenty year old son that doesn't have an extra chromosome.
Speaker 1: Do you think he'd.
Speaker 2: Go, Mommy, I love you, think mommy, and kiss mommy and give mommy all the love that she wants in that moment. Because her son's growing up, you're not gonna get any that you're gonna get. Mom, shut up, leave me alone. And these kids are like one of them just goes. She goes, I'm so proud of you. You look so handsome, and he goes ooop and she goes hell boop to you, and then he snuggles in her neck and I'm just like, oh my fucking god. It's so goddamn sweet. I can't I. I love this show so much. We're taking our time getting through it because Chris keeps he's he's sweepy at night, and I go, what's going on over there?
Speaker 1: And I talked to him like a baby when he.
Speaker 2: Gets sleepy because I don't have kids, so I make Chris my baby sometimes and I go, ohways, your little head of baby, and I hold it like a baby and I go to baby, and I just want.
Speaker 1: To keep watching.
Speaker 3: Down for Love has no producer in common with Love on the Spectrum, No way, totally different people.
Speaker 1: We gotta go righting my mind because it shot the exact same way. I would have a million dollars on that. Yeah, I want a million dollars.
Speaker 2: I probably would have bet something extraordinary because there's just it's done the same way, and it's in New Zealand, Australia.
Speaker 1: They had one season in New Zealand.
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 3: It's the producers are from Australia. The other ones are from the Love Down for Love people are from New Zealand. The Love on the Spectrum company is from Australia.
Speaker 1: Well, Brian's going to read the complete IMDb before we get back to.
Speaker 2: The break and have all the information for us when we get back after this.
Speaker 1: So we're back.
Speaker 2: What did you any other any highlights from your All's Lives weekends?
Speaker 3: Well, I just want to say thank you to the besties who have shared with me all of their mattress purchases over the last couple of days. I have hundreds of people telling me what kind of mattress they have.
Speaker 1: I have still not decided.
Speaker 3: It's almost making it more difficult because everyone is saying a different mattress is the best one.
Speaker 7: The whole mattress buying experience it's all a scam. The whole thing is just one big giant scam, and we got scammed hard this weekend.
Speaker 1: Oh what happened?
Speaker 2: What We're about to make a purchase on our mattress. That's so weird you brought that up. I kind of forgot I wanted to talk about it. I asked about your weekends, and it's back to mine.
Speaker 1: But wait, so Brian, let me just.
Speaker 2: You are going to return the temp Repedic you have and get the other temp Repedi because that what you've concluded.
Speaker 3: This is actually interesting my current plan, I believe it or not. This extension of the mattress saga, which is the most boring possible thing to talk about, is interesting. So I am going to return this mattress. That's my plan, and not exchange it. I'm just gonna return it and then I'm going to buy Restar temper Repedic. So I go to the Temper Pediic store a few days ago. I go in and I am, I am all business.
Speaker 1: I go to my.
Speaker 3: Guy, who I bought the mattress from, what's his name? Kingsley, and I don't even like let him respond. I just say I don't say hi either. I don't even say hi. I walk in the store, I open the door. Don I am returning my mattress. I don't like it. I feel like it's a terrible mattress. I get it that it's not broken in yet I don't need to break it in anymore. It's too firm. I don't think it's ever gonna get firm. I tried the mattress at another store and it was too firm. I don't want to try. Please just let me return this mattress. I'll pay the restocking fee. I'd like to get another temper pedic mattress. If I have to do it from another store, that's fine, but I just want to return this one and get a refund. I'll pay the risktocking fee. And then he responds by going, we've been attacked. We've been attacked and all the systems are down and I can't I can't do anything because there's an attack. And I go, what are you talking about? What we've been attacked? I was like, how long have you been attacked for it? He's like, we've been attacked for two weeks. The systems have been down. There's no way to do anything. There's nothing we can do. And I go, oh, okay, Well, is it going to be attacked for longer than my ninety day return period? And he's like, no, no, no, no, the attack will be over before then. So he said he was gonna call me and let me know when the attack was fixed and so I can return my mattress. He said by Monday. It is now Monday and I have not received a call yet.
Speaker 7: He's a liar. There's this whole mattric thing, mattress. There is an underbelly somebody needs, as John Oliver, somebody needs to attack.
Speaker 5: Is everything from I wrote an episode.
Speaker 3: There is an episode about of Adam Ruins, everything about mattress mattresses, and I wrote it. I wrote it, and I still didn't I still got sucked over it.
Speaker 1: Wait, what did you learn in that? What did we learn again from that?
Speaker 3: There is no the in satisfaction. There is no difference once you cross a threshold of price, which is around five hundred to eight hundred dollars. Once you get over that, there is no difference in satisfaction between a one thousand dollars mattress and a fifty thousand dollars mattress. You will be satisfied no matter what amount of money you spend. There is that every mattress is. Every mattress uses like the same three companies to produce their coils and their foam and their padding. So it's like the same materials are being used in all of them. Shit, And then they talk about how the stores scam you by changing the names and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Saying we're going to be attacked. I think the attack is bake. I yes, I googled it one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: I googled a temper pedic attack and it turns out they have been attacked.
Speaker 1: But I don't know if that's just some by themselves.
Speaker 6: Yeah, by themselves.
Speaker 2: So they had too many returns and they decided to do an attack.
Speaker 7: No, I think it's just something that they say to people. It's just the first line of defense. Somebody comes and tries to return a mattress and they say, hey, we can we can't do it right now, our systems are down or just whatever. The first line of defense is to get that gut to go away, because there is a ten percent chance that Brian will just give up and not do it and they won't have to deal with They don't they know, they know Americans, they know me. You don't know Brian, Brian did your mattress? Did your mattress takedown? Discuss like the CD underbelly of like mattress salesman's and tactics and that stuff, or was it just about prices?
Speaker 3: No, we talked about mattress salesman tactics and stuff like that. But it wasn't quite as in depth and expose as you would see in like sixty minutes or something like that.
Speaker 1: But John Oliver or John Oliver, but it was.
Speaker 3: Better than John Oliver. But I think that I should have known. You know, I bought the most expensive temper pedic there is, and that was the mistake right there.
Speaker 1: You knew that the enjoyment does not go up.
Speaker 2: It's also like the happiness scale of like if you make more than one hundred and fifteen thousand dollars, you're happening all the way up to billions. Your happiness does not change any at all. And people don't care. No, they don't care. And you didn't care, even knowing that. I didn't care because final thought, I am going to buy a mattress, I think today, But now I'm scared because I have it all wrung up.
Speaker 1: Did we get scammed this weekend?
Speaker 5: Do you believe we tell me?
Speaker 2: But what you just said, it's all a scam. Did you feel we were to like do you think there was any kind of scamming happening when we went?
Speaker 1: Not me? Okay, you bought a mattress this weekend.
Speaker 2: Well I'm gonna see is why you just said that it's all a scam and that now I didn't get scammed.
Speaker 1: Well the whole like have you have you tried to buy a mattress at like a mattress store. Oh well yeah, this was a horror mattress store.
Speaker 7: But just like like a they have like a bunch of different brands and oh oh yeah, yeah, yeah it is a no have you done that before?
Speaker 1: First of the mattresses.
Speaker 7: We've got our mattress and what I mean did they give you all types of weird stats and like oh this is today.
Speaker 6: Or oh and then you like want another one?
Speaker 9: That at my jeans As I was like walking out of the door, you know, they they just want to keep you there until they make that sale.
Speaker 7: They're even worse car sales because the mattresses they come in. I bet they're like one hundred bucks to make in some like poor country. And then basically it's a game for them to see how much they can make people pay.
Speaker 4: God, I took our mattress like bag off one day to watch to see if I could wash it. And I'm like, oh, this expensive temper pedic mattress I was sleeping on is just.
Speaker 8: A huge block of phone. All it is just to.
Speaker 1: Pluck a foam someone cut and a bag.
Speaker 7: They would be like, this is all NASA technology. I remember twenty years ago, this is NASA technology. I'm like, I gotta get one of those fat.
Speaker 2: You think us going to Avocado? We saved that kind of rigamarole. There's got to be a huge I bought.
Speaker 4: A quilt from Avocado and they were highly recommended by my friend that's really into eco friendly stuff.
Speaker 1: I have a duvet from there.
Speaker 4: Three of the bamboo buttons have come off in the WASHERT three.
Speaker 8: That is not normal.
Speaker 9: I have a different opinion on Avocado mattresses. My brother and sister will have two of them, and I've slept on both those mattresses and they're great.
Speaker 1: Yes, we went this weekend.
Speaker 7: I think with Avocado you are paying for some sort of understanding of where it came from and it's it's it operates now Avocado.
Speaker 3: Ye, so you went to the avocado store in Santa Monica or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we were out there for eating and then we went to go to lunch and we go we're just gonna walk down the strip so we walked down the strip. We went to Nest first, which is cheap, and we laid on the owl mattress. There was very comfy and we liked it a lot, and we go, okay, this, you got to beat the owl. And so then we went over to Avocado and they beat the owl man. They I did the plushest one because there's something about too plush of a mattress makes you feel like this is too luxurious, like I can.
Speaker 1: Don't want to have this every day.
Speaker 6: But then Chris was like, pepsi challenge.
Speaker 1: Why not?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, pepsi challenge because the pepsi the pepsi challenge.
Speaker 1: Will you tell people what the pepsi challenge?
Speaker 6: The pepsi challenge.
Speaker 7: I don't know if it was eighties or early nineties or what, but basically you do the pepsi challenge and you would take a sip of pepsi and a sip of coke and it was just a sip. So most people said, well, I like the pepsi. You know, people that weren't kind of stores who don't know the exact difference say I like the taste of the pepsi better. And so everybody's like, oh, well, pepsi must be better because everybody the pepsi challenge works, like everybody likes pepsi better. However, they went back and did another study. If you're drinking a full can of soda, people preferred the coke over the pepsi, So in a one sip off, pepsi is better, but coke is better over a longer period of time.
Speaker 2: So we laid on the pepsi and we thought, this is great. It's the it's taking. They started us out on the hybrid of like it's like not too firm, not too soft, and that was awesome, and then.
Speaker 1: I go, I think I kind of like soft.
Speaker 2: I just I don't know why I want to try it like it's I've always said I don't like soft because it's too luxurious, it feels too good.
Speaker 5: What it'll hurt.
Speaker 1: Why would you not like something that feels too good. I don't have back issues.
Speaker 2: I think back issues are all in your head, so I don't subscribe to that, so I don't. I'm not worried about my back on these beds. I think I could just read a book and have it go away. And I know people are rolling their eyes right now.
Speaker 6: Thrones I go back downway first.
Speaker 1: Man, but.
Speaker 2: I laid on this plush one and Chris, I'm so sweet. He's like, I'll just do whatever you do. Like he was like, I like them both. You're like, you're not totally like I hate this, I'm gonna let you, but you were like I like it. Yeah, I was, And then we I was like, I think I like the most plush one. I think I like the luxurious one. I saw the how they cut it, you know, they showed like a cross section of it, and it's not just a foam block and has lots going on and there are many different layers.
Speaker 1: There is wool in it, and I go oh.
Speaker 2: And then they have a vegan mattress that's just a block of cheat like you know, cheese and cheese.
Speaker 8: This is like a block of toe foody and extra firm.
Speaker 2: I was like, and I already have that mattress and I had to do a foam topper for it, and so I was. But then they go Peta has actually approved of our mattresses that are sourced from alpaca and the wool. Because we only share the sheeps twice a year. We actually are always on back order because we don't share them more than they should be. And I'm like, I'm gonna have to check on this because I do not believe that Peta would ever first support any animal being even you can't look at an animal with a grimace without Peter being like, how dare you make that animal feel?
Speaker 1: PETERA is crazy man. They're like, let me just google this quick. They're like, we've been attacked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I got to look into that. I just don't there's no way that Peter is approving of this mattress. So I haven't bought it yet because I do want confirmation of that, because I don't like to be lied to. But we have and we're not only getting a mattress, a king size, amazing mattress. We're getting an adjustable bed that goes.
Speaker 1: Zero. Not separate No.
Speaker 5: Which Alvocado version?
Speaker 1: Did you get the plushiest one? Wait? Why wouldn't you do this? Separate?
Speaker 3: Can?
Speaker 1: Look is?
Speaker 4: What if Chris wants to sleep and you want to be on your phone sitting up?
Speaker 2: I think we can always agree pretty we're pretty yeah, yeah, I wouldn't think that we.
Speaker 9: Well, let me chime in on that, because Aviy and I got the zero gravity platform, and he prefers having our legs up, and I prefer having our torsos up.
Speaker 1: So Okaya up to something.
Speaker 2: Unury of organic snattress, king Plush, Eco adjustable base, organic cotton mattress, pad protector, and avocado green pillow. It all comes to a whopping eighty six hundred dollars and eighty dollars eighty six eight zero point five to one. And now I hear that, and I go, man, I could just get a two thousand dollars mattress and be just as happy.
Speaker 3: Sure, Sure, I mean, I'm going to go to the avocado store in the thin and try out these mattresses I had.
Speaker 4: We walked Amazon for my parents. It was less than three hundred dollars. I slept on it all week. It was amazing. I don't know, I forgot the brand. It was so firm though, and I love a firm bed, but man, it was great, great.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well I just have to say.
Speaker 2: Then we went we were on our way back to the car and there was another mattress store called Hastens S.
Speaker 1: A S T E. N S.
Speaker 6: And they got good looking beds that I've been loving for a while.
Speaker 2: Like this buffalo plaid print on all the They just like look cool. It's blue and white like plaid for the mattresses all in the store.
Speaker 1: And I've seen this place for a while. Walk by there.
Speaker 2: We used to live near there when we were staying in Santa Monica. Do you know about Hastens Brian before you look them up?
Speaker 1: Don't look them up? Okay.
Speaker 2: We walk in Hastins and the whole thing is like it's horse hair. Horse hair is hollow so it wicks away moisture and it's really, uh, just absorbent, and it's all horse hair tails from the horses that are like, yeah, you can take.
Speaker 1: My ponytail and what. Okay? We go in.
Speaker 2: We lay on this bed and this guy goes, welcome to the best mattress you'll ever lay on. It is the best mattress in the world. No better mattress than this one. And we go okay, was going to ask what's rushing? So he might have been Russian, he was something because they eat horse meat.
Speaker 1: Maybe he was liddlely.
Speaker 6: Haystens is a Swedish company.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah he was, but he was not Swedish. So we lay on this mattress and it feels pretty good. I start going, oh my god, we just kind of signed off on avocado. She made a whole print up of the thing. All I have to do is press pay and we're done. Like I was kind of a done deal, and I go, I'm liking this hastens. This feels really good. He's telling me it's the best mattress in the world's He goes, we haven't changed it in two hundred years. We have perfected it. There's nothing. You will have this mattress for life. There is no reason to ever get another mattress again. This will last you one hundred years.
Speaker 7: I said, We've never gotten a return. We don't have return.
Speaker 1: He don't like.
Speaker 2: I don't even know if they allow returns. So then I go, okay, great, and I'm thinking, man, I think I like this mattress a lot. I go, how much is this king size one of this version? He goes seventeen thousand dollars seventeen thousand dollars and he goes, no, seventy thousand dollars.
Speaker 6: Why space what I said?
Speaker 1: Seven zero?
Speaker 2: And then all of a sudden, I'm like, uh, get off this mattress if you like. I almost piss my pants because of the price, and I'm like, we're ruin this thing, and I go seventy and then he, I mean obviously knew there was not a sale happening. I was like, maybe in the future when I'm Sebastian man scowc money or something. But Jesus Christ, and I go, I go, well, let me lay on this one over here. I go, this is like, Beyonce sleeps on this thing. There's no question but Beyonce. And he goes, what did you just say? And I go, Beyonce jay Z they're sleeping a bed like this, and he goes, they are a client of ours, very good. They have custom made beds. We make all them as they're building a new house right now. They just contacted us recently. We make in beds for them. And I'm like, of course they are Taylor Swift sleeps on this bed seventy thousand dollars. Mattress doesn't get better. And they're just a little store in Santa Monica. I felt so I instantly you just go, what am I doing in here? You kind of feel like pretty woman like where they're just kind of like But he was very nice. At no point did he get up on us, and I thought, you know what this guy thinks, I'm gonna make it.
Speaker 1: He knows that I'm going.
Speaker 4: This is so Emperor's new clothes. Like what bullshit could we stuff into a bag and sell to people for How about horse hair?
Speaker 2: Yeah, horse is the only hair of an animal that is hollow, so it absorbs moisture. And I don't know, like the hot like if you put it on your microscope, it'd be hollow.
Speaker 1: It's like a little tube.
Speaker 4: As the horses get any kickback for this, they're just taking all.
Speaker 2: These kickback because they're cutting someone's cutting their tail and they kick them.
Speaker 1: They're making money off horses backs.
Speaker 2: Literally, isn't everyone making money off horses backs? Yeah, so that's the So I might buy that because I went to bed waiting for me when I get back in town.
Speaker 4: Has not signed off on this, There's no way.
Speaker 2: No, not the Hastens, Peter, and I'm not going to get this thing until I am very very rich Hastens.
Speaker 1: But I do have to.
Speaker 2: Check Avocado if Pete signed off, because I think that was just a talking point.
Speaker 1: And the girl was a very good saleswoman.
Speaker 6: Yeah, she was good.
Speaker 2: I forget her name, but when I told her my name, she goes I thought it was you, and I left that I did like that. Okay, guys, we gotta go. Chris will be here tomorrow too from California. I hope you enjoyed the podcast.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Keep writing to me about why you want kids. It's very interesting reads. Please write to us about anything that you heard on the show today. Check out the Down for Love show and tell me your thoughts on that. If you know down syndrome people, let me know your experience with that. If I got anything wrong, please educate me. I love you so much. Thank you for listening to the show. And then don'bika oh in tour. Go see me on tour. It's coming up September fifteenth at the Chicago Theater and then so many dates.
Speaker 1: You can see them all on my Instagram.
Speaker 2: Brian help me shoot a very funny Instagram reel the other day with all of my dates. I forgot to do San Francisco, so don't forget about that date.
Speaker 1: There's so many coming up.
Speaker 2: NICKI plays dot com for tickets, uh and dompica and never forget m