Speaker 1: Still the Place with Laura Layton, Courtney Thorn Smith.
Speaker 2: And Daphne's Aniga and iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 3: We're back for another Repat episode number seventeen.
Speaker 2: Yes, we are a great episode. We're hurdling.
Speaker 1: So much happened in this episode. Times like there were like nine storylines in this episode.
Speaker 2: It was really it.
Speaker 3: Was They were really good. I feel like it's getting really juicy. We're getting really close to Christmas. It's like we're really getting into the meat of it, and we finally have Joe and she's here to stay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this one's called Jake Versus Jake, And it was really a great episode for a grant I.
Speaker 1: Terrific for it was such a good episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this is seventeen and next week will be eighteen, which is our Christmas episode, Melrose's first Christmas episode that'll air on December twenty third.
Speaker 3: And right around then we're also going to have our producer, Chip has is going to be coming, So we've got lots of coming on.
Speaker 1: Coming up that'll be fascinating. Get the behind the scenes.
Speaker 3: Loves to talk about Melrose, so we can't wait to see him.
Speaker 2: He was great. We loved him and before we start. I just want to remind everyone to follow us still the place on Instagram and TikTok and Facebook. All right, here we go. I'm going to start us off and then when I get exhausted, I'm going to hand it over to Laura. She's so good at this, but I want to give it a go. Okay, Jake Versus Jake Season one, episode seventeen. Air date was November twenty fifth, nineteen ninety two. Everyone thinking of what yesterday, nineteen yesterday?
Speaker 3: Well, I will point out one thousand years I that November of nineteen ninety two was an election year.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was, just saying because we start the episode with Rick d.
Speaker 2: Yes, Rick D's Kiss FM, and he is saying as the camera pulls into the courtyard, Rick D's is in the morning says that there was a call in asking about the new leader in the White House, and Rick says, I think she's going to be.
Speaker 3: Fine because they think the reference to Hillary Clinton She's going to be just fine would have been something Rickty's could have just as well, saying that time so still there.
Speaker 1: I believe probably doing his show like that's when your shows like yeah popular used to be read just in Kelly used to be Ready, Kathy Late and the Right, one of the shows that you do every ten years.
Speaker 2: Well, I.
Speaker 3: So Rickty's was a huge morning show DJ.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that would be my guess. Maybe the fans will let us know. We start off on Allison and Billy's apartment in the morning, and Billy is making breakfast, Allison's getting coffee, Billy is talking about taking a job as Santa in a department.
Speaker 1: Store, and Allison is being rude.
Speaker 3: She's very preoccupied with something.
Speaker 2: I feel like he's so exciting.
Speaker 1: She's preoccupied because otherwise she's just a bitch. Hop.
Speaker 2: I think she's preoccupied by He's adorable, wonderful Hawaiian shirt already and red and I just he comes in with such wonderful energy and you're such a buzz Still.
Speaker 3: Give her a break. She's preoccupied.
Speaker 2: And then he notices that Alison's not paying attention.
Speaker 3: Well, he's trying to get her attention, and he feels like he's trying to be upbeat and fun, and when that's not working, he says something a little shocking, and that doesn't work either, and then he knows something's really think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of like now I do that with my husband. I'm like, are you like, He'll just nod and he'll are you listening?
Speaker 3: And then he's like, but he tries to be prerocative, and that didn't even penetrate. So he's like, all right, that's it.
Speaker 2: So what she says, No, I'm thinking about work, and I think she's thinking about something else, but she says work, And Billy asks Allison if she's looking forward to going home and seeing the snow, and she just gets up and leaves for work. So, yeah, you better be be preoccupied or he's going to be your therapist again. And didn't those twelve steps, So getting over him work, Allison? All right. So next we're in Jane and Michael's apartment and Jane and Michael are packing for a trip to San Francisco, and she's all excited about it, making it a romantic weekend for two. She talked her boss k Beacon to being a secret shopper, so she thought she'd get away with Michael and up to the city by the Bay.
Speaker 1: And having that, as we're reading this, you think, oh, good, we're gonna go on vacation with.
Speaker 3: We get to see that. No, we don't and it just.
Speaker 1: Kind of we don't get dandalone.
Speaker 3: No, we get to hear about it. Yeah, yeah, And this conversation is sort of like Michael lamenting, wait a minute, did they give me the time off for this? Because I'm not a good doctor and I don't.
Speaker 1: Actually again maybe into the maybe we're planting seeds for the next episode.
Speaker 3: Why are they giving me this time off at all?
Speaker 2: I think it's reversed. I think it's like she's in the lead, she's in a good mood, her job got them this trip. And he's like, well, well, I don't know, I don't know. Maybe I should stick around for work. And she's like, you know, I'm taking on a romantic weekend. Deal with it. And she goes up suggestively and says take off your pants or.
Speaker 1: Some I think they know.
Speaker 2: At this point, he's like, oh, honey, I don't know.
Speaker 1: He's going to make that dark turn. So now they're making him like super super sweet like person. Then he was maybe he's about to take a turn.
Speaker 3: Well, it's funny because he does have another one of those moments after last episode where he's completely ignoring her like romantic suggestions. You know, She's like, hey, honey, she's kissing him. She says, take off your pants. He's like, oh no, no, no, no, you know, I'm like.
Speaker 1: Our entire casin people who can't read. I can't read the scene, like you're you're pushing You're pushing Grant away the entire last episode. I'm rude to Billy and Michael's like, oh, I couldn't possibly, beautiful.
Speaker 3: Girl, you better not kiss right now.
Speaker 2: Backing for this, I just love to see Michael like, oh no, what are you doing? Anyway, they end up making out on the beds.
Speaker 3: It doesn't it's so she wins him over, but yeah, he's pushing back.
Speaker 2: So then we're in the courtyard and Billy locks the apartment and walks across the courtyard and Jake comes out and says, hey, Billy, can I borrow twenty bucks like some of the times? Because twenty bucks. She's like, why, what do you need? And he's like, oh, my own girl, what.
Speaker 1: You can have twenty bucks? I'm taking a lady out to a fantom mounch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my old girlfriend called, and I don't want to seem like a dead beat, So can I have twenty bucks?
Speaker 3: But I'm broke?
Speaker 2: I mean it was somewhere in nineteen ninety two, I.
Speaker 1: Guess, so, I know, But why would he be Brokes motorcycle shop.
Speaker 2: No, he doesn't. He works there. It's not his shop yet. It's not a shop yet, because that's a storyline. Sorry, because Joe remembers, because Joe I have had scenes with him. He gets the shop. It's a whole big deal.
Speaker 3: But Billy has a cash even though he's Santa for the.
Speaker 2: Season, even though he was borrowing anyway, I'm just who has the money? Okay, it doesn't. So then we're at the medical center and Allison is at the doctor who says to Alison she has an enlargement of her.
Speaker 1: Uterus, which is so weird and vague to say, little like a large.
Speaker 3: Further information, tell me more, and.
Speaker 2: She asks, is there any possibility that Allison could be pregnant? You know, we'll run some tests, and I think I think the whole audience goes like, oh my god, not with Keith. Right.
Speaker 3: Well, I think that's what Alison's thinking too. Well, I did just get out of this horrible relationship.
Speaker 1: Well then she said, but we do use protection and I got my period, So I think the odds are going right, but it did.
Speaker 3: Look like Allison was maybe like, could it be you know? And the doctor says, well.
Speaker 1: Maybe she just has an attractively large uterus.
Speaker 3: Well, I think that's what it is. Tell me more about my.
Speaker 2: Popular It is nerve wracking, I would think to hear that.
Speaker 3: And they do.
Speaker 1: Conclude that she needs more tests to know what's going.
Speaker 2: So again they don't know enough. So here we are at the Farmer's Market parking lot day. Matt and Ronda are loading fruit into a van for the halfway house that he got his job back at, and they're missing a flat of strawberries. So Ronda goes into the Farmer's Market to grab the fruit. She's got the strawberries, and some guy comes up and takes the box from Ronda's hands.
Speaker 1: She gets so mad, so fast.
Speaker 3: They get into a tussle over this slat of strawberries. Their minds, their minds of strawberries. Yeah yeah, but he's like, no, these are special order and I paid for these, these are mine. He pulls it back, and she pulls it back on their mind and they're for they're donated for street kids, and no mind.
Speaker 2: She calls them a bully. I just love how protective she is of the kids in the home, you know, and like, who are you know?
Speaker 1: These markets can be dicey, like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, can get into a.
Speaker 2: Man that comes up he's is still a mace. And then Matt comes in and tells Ronda, oh, no, I found the strawberries. Ours were good, never mind, and she's like she gives them back the flat of strawberries to this stranger, but she's still angry.
Speaker 1: Very handsome stranger to that's every answer.
Speaker 3: It's then when he sort of takes a look at her and she she goes to leave and he follows her out and he's like, hmm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he it's Terrence. By the way, this is introducing a character that is going to she's gonna yeah, he have a nice storyline with her. Yeah, so this is the beginning of it, this kind of banter. So he follows her and you know, there's a shot of like him behind her, and she's like, leave me alone. I'm not interested in you. You're a pain in my ass. And he's like, well, I could be interesting too, and I'm kind of shy. Actually, I'm realizing right now we find out Okay, I know why he needed the strawberries. Oh, Penny just dropped. Daphne watched this episode three times.
Speaker 3: But he apologizes, just figured out something right. I didn't touch the fruit connection either when it came, when it comes, But you're right, you know. What he does do is like he notices, Hey, you're actually cute, and I wish I hadn't, you know, come on so strong, and would you be interested in going out? Sometimes in that scene, I apologize for his behavior and ask.
Speaker 2: Any kind of winds are over because she's like, okay, but we're going to leave that little to the doctor's office day and the doctor comes in and tells Alison that she's not pregnant. But the doctor would like to take some blood and do a sonogram figure out what's going on.
Speaker 1: And so here's my question. We haven't been a sonogram yet. How visible is Allison's in large uterus.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of questions here in this scene that are very technical, and I don't think it serves us to really open that door.
Speaker 1: Your skirt's a little tighter, Notice you have a large I don't think we should be asking all.
Speaker 3: The questions right now. Keep going carry on, Carrie, except accept the dialogue. Except circumstances.
Speaker 1: This was written by a man. This is what first, we say, margeaters, then we do a sonogram, and then we're going to do a public.
Speaker 3: Because we're just telling the story, folks.
Speaker 2: He doesn't know what comes first. But Alison is, you know, alarmed rightfully so and says, uh, do you know what's wrong? And she's like, look, I don't know. We just need to do some more tests. Could be any number of things. And by the way, do you have insurance? And she's like, no, by the way, I don't.
Speaker 1: But she says specifically, I don't have hospitalization insurance. So do I have?
Speaker 3: She's talking about being a hospitalizer and like and the operational insurance, like what.
Speaker 1: The procedures sure is different than hospitalization. But anyway, we've been talking about it. Yeah, we've been talking about insurance and we're all up in arms about it. But any insurance would include hospitalization. You might have a high deductible, but you're not going to have insurance.
Speaker 2: For well, I don't know some I mean, some policies might not if you don't want to pay that much or don't have that much because hospitals are so expensive.
Speaker 3: Anyway, I think we're to we get in the weeds if we actually ask these questions, because there's a lot of it that doesn't quite make sense. But I think the point is to say that, like the doctor is insinuating, this could be really serious, and yeah, Alison has zero insurance.
Speaker 1: It doesn't for any of it. And I think you're right about not pulling you through because as the shows get crazier and crazier, do not.
Speaker 2: Do not The reality police know too early.
Speaker 3: Don't ask wearing that, you don't ask, do not ask why is she wearing a pillbox hat?
Speaker 2: You don't ask? No, just go yeah, going with it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I will try to have an explanation, but I may.
Speaker 2: We start now we're gonna be in trouble.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so anyway, so anyway, now we're in the restaurant.
Speaker 2: Yes, we're in the restaurant, and uh, Jake and his ex girlfriend Colleen, they're having lunch at this nice restaurant and reminiscing about the past. And Jake says, yeah, that was all of five years ago, which today seems like last week, you know, for me at my aide. For someone to say, well that was five years ago, I'm like five years ago went so fast but the point is that this was a long time ago. That relationship's over and gone.
Speaker 1: But and did she you guys, this was Beth Toussaint. She was on Dallas. Do you remember her from Dallas? She looks she was on Dallas and Young and the Restless.
Speaker 3: After after Moros was young in the wrestles.
Speaker 1: Yea, I must have known her from Dallas. She was so familiar to me.
Speaker 2: Well she was great in this Yep, she was great. So she says, by the way, I have a four and a half year old son named David, and you, Jake, are the biological father. And you know this guy Robert to legally be David's dad since he's the only father that the son has known. And Grant is just like gobsmacked, slow the f downady, what I am and just launches us into his story for this episode. So he ends this by saying, no, I'm not signing it off. I'm the father and I'm not going anywhere.
Speaker 1: And she does make She does explain that she put his name on the birth cert to fake. Because I was thinking, why I tell him at all? She said this. They did explain, Laura, they.
Speaker 3: Did we have this information.
Speaker 2: I thought this was so horrible of her. I can't even imagine, Like, I mean, I don't know, but to wait five years and then to go to the guy and you're going to actually bring it up to him and then say, oh, but you can have nothing to do with him. Oh, like he doesn't even have a choice.
Speaker 3: Well, it's also a little bit of a thread to pull, to say, because we're going to learn that he's the one who was leaving for California at the time when she was finding out that she was pregnant, and she chose not to tell him. She tells him that here, so like, yeah, he was leaving for California. She also says, you know, I loved you, but you were leaving and so I couldn't tell you. And now five years have passed, I'm married to a wonderful man who is very successful.
Speaker 2: She mentions for my for me, though she didn't make it clear that they weren't serious enough or they didn't give it a go, right, and so that's too little information for me to go, Okay, well, this is a this is a you know, we have this kid, but it doesn't justify enough how we broke up or you left and you didn't want us to end or anything. Yeah, I still thought it was very it's a little vague shocking that she would come to him and say all this, and so he's shocked.
Speaker 3: He is justifiably also shocked.
Speaker 2: So now we're at Shooters at night and Joe and Jake are both at Shooters having a drink, and Jake is like, I'd like to be left alone. He leaves. She's like, no, wait a second. You know, just because they can't be trusted doesn't mean I'm not a good listener. So she follows him over to the bar and she, you know, she's like, tell me, tell me, and he tells her that his ex girlfriend from Washington showed up and told him that he has a kid bomb and she's wide eyed and we're all like what, And so Joe's white eyed and asks Jake, wait a second, do you know for sure that it's your kid?
Speaker 3: Right? First things first need to know if that's yeah, really right?
Speaker 2: A normal question, And then Jake says, yeah, yeah, Colleen wouldn't lie about this. And then Jake says that Colleen wants Jake out of the picture, which is devastating, Like came all the way here to say, oh, you have this kid you didn't know about, and I don't want you to be the dad. It's a lot. It's I was really shocked and felt for him, and I didn't think it was right of her. But anyway, but then Jake says to Joe, you know, it makes a difference to him now that he knows he has a son and he wants to bring the son home with him. And Joe's like, wait a second, Jake, you might be wrong about this and that they have a family. She's you know, with someone else, and you might blow up a family. And of course, the minute that comes out of my mouth, by the way, I was like, no, no, don't say this.
Speaker 1: Thing.
Speaker 3: Well, because he really objects to that. He's the word family right, that doesn't have.
Speaker 2: In the family.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So he says like, you just don't understand. You don't understand what guys feel. Joe says, yeah, well, I just don't understand guys who feel because they love someone feels like they own them. So that tells a little bit about her past and her you know what, she's exhibited a theme, yeah, that bit of olympus.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: So then he's like, I'm done talking to you.
Speaker 3: I don't want to.
Speaker 2: Basically, you suck, you can't be trusted, and you suck as a listener. Okay, and then anyone, he wants me alone and and so, but she gets up to leave. So they're still trying to figure their stuff out. So we are in Alison and Billy's apartment and Allison is on the phone with her doctor and Billy comes in and here's part of it and is like, hey, what's that all about. She's says, no, nothing, I got I got to take care of it myself. And he's like, no, let me be a friend and I can help you out. And she opens a refrigerator. She's still rebuffing him and says, oh, you drink the last soda. You want to help get some more?
Speaker 1: And she goes to arm.
Speaker 3: All of a sudden, she's so passionate about her soda. She didn't strike me as a soda drinker until now.
Speaker 2: I think it's a sign of like a big uterus or something.
Speaker 3: I think you need soda.
Speaker 2: So she slams the door and he's left going what that hell? And okay. So next we are in the restaurant, so Ronda and the lovely guy from the Farmer's Market. Terrence are out on a date at a very fancy restaurant and they are at the front Majer D's stand and she's.
Speaker 1: Complaining, she's carrying right over from the Farmer's Market. She's fired up again.
Speaker 3: Yes, she's got your complaints.
Speaker 2: She's complaining that the Mayor d is like where they're taking them to the table, and how.
Speaker 1: They're treating looking at them, they're getting ignored.
Speaker 2: Treating them poorly. And he's like, you know, aren't they all like that? And anyway, uh.
Speaker 1: And they do take them to a table right by the swinging doors to the kitchen, so every time you're on her shot, the doors are swinging.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's not wrong's good.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And and so they sit down way back there and he goes, well, that's fine. The food's the same all over the restaurant.
Speaker 1: And try actually says to her, are you implying that this is racial? Or yeah? Because we're not dressed really well, what is it you think?
Speaker 2: What's happening?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And so or do you think yeah? And she's like probably both. Uh So then Ronda suggests that they go, let's just go to Pinks and get some dogs and go to the beach and yeah, famous la stand isn't that on? Uh?
Speaker 3: Lebria, Lebria.
Speaker 2: And then the major d comes over and whispers into Terrence's ear and Ronda says, now what so exasperated and Tara says, well, the chef wants to talk to the owner of the restaurant about the dinner.
Speaker 3: And I'm the owner, by the.
Speaker 1: Way, So she's like why he was testing her though? Seriously, Like is it a test to put her at the bat because obviously he's the owner, he should have the best table in the house. Do you think he was testing her?
Speaker 2: I was thinking maybe he wanted privacy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nobody wants to sit by the swinging door.
Speaker 3: I even noticed the swing door, Like I don't care about this stuff, you know, like, look at me, I'm I'm actually the owner. We're going to find out later. He drives a fancy card, but that he's trying to be like, I have all this stuff, but I don't care about this stuff. Why do you care? What is it that you think is happening here?
Speaker 2: Like that's what he challenged, trying to win her over, and he's got a big hurdle because she doesn't like him. Already from the morning.
Speaker 3: She's a little Yeah, she's just a little annoyed. But he's like, hey, this is all and by the way, I own this place.
Speaker 1: She's a lovely surprise.
Speaker 2: So next we're yeah, next we're at the hotel lobby and I noticed where they This is where Jake. Jake is here in the lobby and he's there in his leather jacket holding a teddy bear.
Speaker 1: Do you think was it shut flows?
Speaker 2: Oh? The low lows down. It was so pretty, so pretty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he looks out of place because he's in his leather jacket.
Speaker 2: With holding a teddy bear holding So he walks through the lobby into the back and there's a pool at the back facing the ocean, and he watches. He watches Colleen and Robert and David the kid playing in the.
Speaker 1: Pool in a tiny speedo, which.
Speaker 3: It was his nineteen ninety two speedo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so anyway, he Colleen sees Jake spying on them and comes over and is like, what are you doing here? Don't mess up my plan and don't be seen here. If you want to talk to me, you call me. Don't be macho, and don't ruin this.
Speaker 1: Which is a good point. By the way, the kid is Miko Hughes, who was in pet Cemetery and also Full House.
Speaker 2: And then a bunch of I looked him up and I saw people saying, I think it was on a podcast how a child actor became a horror star. So he did a bunch of horror films. Yeah, I guess his experience set him on his way, and he was probably like six.
Speaker 1: Here was adorable, right, Yeah, my little young to can act.
Speaker 2: They just pound, Yeah, he was really really good. He was adorable. So the little kid, David looks back at Jake as they walk away.
Speaker 3: He walks away holding his dad's hand and yeah, and Jake just watches. He's holding out ty baron painful, pretty.
Speaker 2: Heart break, pretty heard. And then we all have come to know and love Jake. I mean, yeah, grant Jake. And so it is I think as hard as an audience member to just see because he's such a good guy, is my point, right, We're always pointing that out. So now Ronda is walking down the street in workout gear when Terrence pulls up and a Mercedes convertible.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 2: He's a very wealthy guy, clearly, and he says, hey, Matt told me that you would see you around here. I'd see you here, and Terence says, come to Catalina with me, and she's like, well, I'd love to, but I have errands to run and a Saturday class to teach, and he Terence asks to chauffeur Randa to her class. Ronda notices that it's not the same car Terence drove on date night, and she's like, what you have like all these cars and he's like, yeah, that was for the schlepping around.
Speaker 3: His Toyota is just for schlepping vegetables. And apparently for first dates.
Speaker 1: Maybe it was a test. Yeah, the bad table and everything to sort of read her, and he told everything to make a big deal. So probably the maitreat. He wasn't looking at him because he said, don't make a big deal because he wanted to.
Speaker 2: Yes for him, very good, very good putting all the pots together. But now now I want to get over stuff.
Speaker 3: So now he's got his fancy Mercedes convertible and he says, this one is for town.
Speaker 2: And I want to take you to Catalina. Ronda asked Harence if he wants to go tomorrow night. While he's getting in the car and he says, yes, you bet. Alison and Billy's apartment. Billy walks into the room in full Santa costume where Alison is getting coffee.
Speaker 1: Because he needs to be more adorable. Yeah, let's just up the volume.
Speaker 2: Yes, you're not gonna let me. Actually, you're going to say everything's fine. I'm going to act like everything's fine. I'm going to ignore the passive aggression. So she goes, oh, good, you got the job. Totally less than thrilled. Alison goes into the living room and all of a sudden starts crying on the couch and Billy.
Speaker 3: Like from zero to a thousand, he's goofing around in his in his best Santa voice, and he sits down next to her. She's turned away, and he says, what do you want for Christmas? And she just and that's that was the final She loses.
Speaker 2: It starts to cry. So He's notices that she's upset and takes off the Santa beard and says, hey, what is going on? And she tells them they found a benign tumor in my uterus and that is rapidly growing, and he is absolutely shocked. But that she says she needs an operation to have it removed. It's not cancer, but it could mess up having children.
Speaker 1: My mom called this my Stella Dallas speech because Stella Dallas is like a soap person in the fifty there's always something and it was like of a benign tumor. It's rapidly growing. It's an operations up my kids of having children. Oh be sure, there's another thing. I get there.
Speaker 3: It was just like single, I have to tell you all the things that's hilarious.
Speaker 1: Ye peel him out of it.
Speaker 2: Did your mom watch us with you?
Speaker 1: Not with me? But she talked to me after she did.
Speaker 2: She watched it was is one more thing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, also, and then the worst part.
Speaker 3: Is and the thing is you have to do as the actor. You have to do that a million times. You have to keep saying these lines and after a while you're like, okay, yeah, it's hard.
Speaker 2: You must have been like, you know, like, oh, I gotta do this again from the side and.
Speaker 1: I remember listening to tory Amos like I found a really sad song. I remember again prepping for this, and then I think by the time we did it, I just couldn't stop crying, Like I have a prepared I want you going built. But I didn't build it. I just just whatever I was like, Yeah, whatever I was working on just completely took over because as a yeah, Alison is crying and crying, faying, well this like maybe wait and start crying on I can't have children, but I start crying, I haven't benign tumor.
Speaker 3: I well, it's a long scene and there's a lot she has to get out, and you sustained.
Speaker 2: It for the whole scene and it was great.
Speaker 1: I was very sweet, but it didn't start but you had a like you can tell like I was off camera listening and I'm like go, I'm read go.
Speaker 2: Just like.
Speaker 3: You had a lot of information to tell Billy too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and upset about all of it was my parents can't afford.
Speaker 3: You Santa suit.
Speaker 2: And then he goes, you'll it'll be okay, and he leans over in that Santa suit gives you a big hug.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he says, and that that's what that's when she also reveals that she doesn't have health insurance and that's the real thing.
Speaker 1: She's And is this when he said because this line killed me, but maybe it was when he goes, I'm going to do everything I can to help you everything, so get used to it was that this Because he said that, I was like, ever, isn't that sweet? No, I think that that's coming up.
Speaker 3: He also says we'll find a way, We'll find a way to make this work, and then she's like she smiles through. It's like, you know, somehow sitting there looking at you as Santa. I believe if Santa says it, I actually believe it's very sweet. And that's when he hugs her in his big risks again. You know, we've always noticed that she cries.
Speaker 2: We've always noticed the drama versus the humor. I mean, you know, the stuff that these writers. This isn't just a straight drama. This is a very out there show. And I just love how the writers like have it you pouring all this out and he's in a big Santa alfad, I'm going to take care of you, And there's always that lightness in that humor.
Speaker 3: We're in the courtyard where Joe is knocking on Jake's door with a bag of groceries she's carrying him. When Jake answers the door, Joe says she came to apologize for last night at Shooters. She asks if Jake will accept the peace offerings she has brought, including the baggette that's sticking out of the bag, and she says they don't have to talk about anything, and so he agrees to let her in, and then inside the apartment, she's pouring wine while Jake tells her that he's thinking about seeing a lawyer and getting some form of custody for his son, saying he's angry that Colleen lied to him. Joe notices the teddy Bear. Jake then tells Joe about trying to go to meet David and that things didn't go well. Jake says he thinks he could be a really good dad. It's another scene of him just going I think I could do this, but he doesn't want to be like his own recent visit from his own mom. He doesn't want David to think that he's pathetic, and Joe says that's a completely different situation. Jake says he doesn't feel good enough at anything adult and he really wants to take care of his kid, and she asks him, well, have you thought about what it would be like to have a kid in your life and what life would be like for the kid, including the expense she points out, and this just kisses Jake off. He gets angry, walks out of the room, saying, thanks for the wine, Joe, And you just don't understand me anything. You don't understand this or me.
Speaker 1: He's not super good at difficult conversation.
Speaker 3: He didn't want to be told that there was another point of view on this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I feel like Jake has again this is getting to the story of his self worth. I also forgot to mention that this was directed by Victoria Hawkberg, and Victoria was really good, Yeah at bringing out the emotional story, bringing that to the forefront. So she uses the camera, she directs the actors in a way that isn't sort of like cookie cutter or expected. So the blocking this scene ends with this wonderful I'm in the foreground, you know. He comes to Joe and says, you don't understand and you don't understand me, and turns and walks back to the kitchen. And then the last shot of this is me turning towards camera going oh, and then he's in the background turn the other way.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And so there tells a story and that is the difference, and that's what I really liked about Victoria. I really loved working with her because she really worked with you and your emotion.
Speaker 1: I remember that long. I do remember her. The hours were long, but she really cared. Yes.
Speaker 2: And then this is a very emotional, you know, high stakes, and I think it really came across. Yeah, so that's that's the director as well. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So then we're back at the hospital with Alison and Billy. He's gone with her and they're in the intake office where a hospital administrator is telling them that Allison cannot be admitted without insurance.
Speaker 1: And did you notice the body language I have Billy and Allison, like if you were in couple's therapey, like that's a happy couple. We were leaned in. I don't know if she directed us because of the shot, like we were leaned intoward each other, like subtle body language you're basically touching each other.
Speaker 2: Was like to me, it looked like two kids trying to play grown up, Like they're in a you know what I mean, Like this is big life stuff and health stuff and they're in a hospital, and it seemed like two not kids, but two a young couple, you know, trying to figure this out in this big ominous place, and.
Speaker 1: His leministrator was great.
Speaker 3: He was super sweeby, but like also very condescending to these idiot children who didn't.
Speaker 2: Know that they very high insurance. Yeah, yeah, isn't this where Billy says, I want you know, my dad still pays his bills in person, and we got to make them know that you're a person. Well, that one overwhelmed.
Speaker 1: Yes, I was like his objective was nice, like it he has good advice.
Speaker 2: Don't work with this guy though.
Speaker 3: Like, I'm sure if we appeal to them in person, they'll just let us to schedule you for surgery pinched glasses.
Speaker 1: It's fifteen thousand dollars prepaid, which you know, I can do my in today's dollars.
Speaker 3: That kind of money she'd be she would have gone insurance exactly. So fifteen thousand dollars in today's dollars is very much money. And they realized they're going to go try other hospitals. And he says, well, good luck with that.
Speaker 1: It's thirty four thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: All right, no way, and she's going to come up with that for the surgery. So they try all these other hospitals there now were cut to the parking lot where they're coming out in the rain out of one more hospital. They're clearly exhausted. They've been to all of them, and Allison says, maybe she just won't have the surgery at all. Maybe the fibroids would just go away.
Speaker 1: And it's like real rain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was real rain. Nobody got in the rain. They got a hut shoe. We have to get our day, ye, And.
Speaker 1: Do you remember when they'd have to cover the cameras, like you had to put plastic over all the times when it rained. Yeah, it's a very big deal.
Speaker 3: But here is where Billy says, well, listen, if you can't come up with the money by tomorrow and figure this out, I'm going to ask my parents for the money. And Allison says, you're a great friend, but this is my problem. And this is where Billy says to Alison that you're my best end. That's super sweet. So she kisses him on the cheek and she says, I still will not borrow the money from your parents. So then we're into the courtyard at night where Matt is with Jane and Michael opening a box of Christmas decorations and he drapes a tinsel garland around his neck as Jane says it's her first Christmas with palm trees, and she and Michael tell Matt about the decorations that were beautiful on Gary Street in San Francisco.
Speaker 1: You guys should have seen it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeahs I wish we could have brought cameras and.
Speaker 2: Gary Street and Union Square was so beautiful and so funny. Chris Smith, remember Union Square and the tree and the caroling. Gorgeous.
Speaker 3: And then Alison Billy walk into the courtyard and Billy makes a snide comment to Michael about like, ah, yeah, right when you were up there hobnobbing with your medical thieves and you guys are all greedy. Yeah, he says, he's SICA doctors their rules and regulations. Michael's like, well, Michael's like, whoa what Trana to take that personally, And Jane says Jane sort of defends them and says, you know, the people at the conference were very concerned about improving healthcare. But Billy just scoffs and goes into his apartment. So then Ronda and Terrence all of a sudden enter the scene, coming walking down the stairs from her apartment. They're very dressed up.
Speaker 1: They look so gorgeous. She has on this silver dress and I took a picture of it to send and.
Speaker 3: He's in a like full black tie event.
Speaker 1: Gorgeous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she looks lovely. And Ronda introduces Terrence to all of the friends and they head out, and Michael follows. Allison says, what's going on with Billy. Allison says he's just trying to help her, and he says, well, listen, if what you're needing help with is medical problem, maybe I can help.
Speaker 1: And this is another good shot you're talking about Victoria where it's me in the foreground and Billy just be furious in the back.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love at when you.
Speaker 2: Both get to be actually yes, and you're moving yeah, natural movement.
Speaker 3: So yeah, So Michael is in Allison and Billy's apartment listening about Allison's situations.
Speaker 1: Again, this lovely version of Michael.
Speaker 2: He could not be like, maybe I can like take it now, we'll last.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just like he said, must be about to turn. They're making him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's like, let me help.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but right now he's mister nice guy. So he offers to help. Maybe he can get her in for surgery, and when he leaves, Allison goes to the fridge and is touched to see that Billy has stocked it with soda uh huh for her uterus.
Speaker 2: But she did it, she said to fix this and he's like.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, And this is where Billy tells Allison that he's going to stick by her and see her through this, and he kind of goes in for a hug, maybe right in front of the fridge here, and she she kind of deflects, did you notice that I had to go? I can watch a couple of times he kind of goes in for hug and she kind of goes, you don't have to do that, like you just got me. You kind of go you have to do that. I was like, what is happening in this moment because then she says it's kind of coy. I don't know, maybe maybe I'm just imagining it, but this is what I saw. And then she tells him there's a silver lining to all this and that I got a real best friend. And I was like, is she trying to sort of like tease him about.
Speaker 2: That maybe happening?
Speaker 3: Because she's like, because you kind of like you kind of go to your room and he's left there smiling thinking about that.
Speaker 1: Well, the other thing is, is there something more more the best for her to accept help. It's hard for her to accept he's being so great, she does need him, and he's showing up for her. I think that's terrifying.
Speaker 3: I also just think it's one of these examples where what we're seeing is Courtney and Andrew underneath the Billy and Alison of it all. So like there's some other little colors here, and or maybe I'm just reading into it because I know anyway, So we got to the motorcycle service shop where Jake is working at night. He opens the door to find Colleen has knocked on the door. Jake tells her he's busy. She says, maybe I can help. She walks into the shop and they start talking a little bit. We see here that like they do have some things in common. She does know a thing or two about motorcycles.
Speaker 2: How to help them with the motorcycle, and.
Speaker 3: She says in this moment it she's sorry that they didn't get to settle down together, that she thinks she maybe would have been happy in a trailer. So at sort of a glimpse into their younger selves, I think. And then Jake says, you know that was over four years ago. This is now, and Colleen again asks him to do what's best for David and sign the yeah, and it's.
Speaker 2: Just like, you know, I saw this as one more scene of another woman telling Jake how to feel and what to do about this hugely profound situation he's in, right Like, Joe's like, well, I don't think you should, you know, you know, be careful about taking him on as your son and watch out. And then well then she comes back and with her bag at and says, oh, I'm gonna here to make peace, but also she has this opinion no one's listening to him. And then Colleen comes back and she's like, oh, we had so much in common and stuff, but she really just wants him to like are you going to sign the page? The papers? And I just felt for Jake. I just felt like Jesus, no one has any empathy for this guy, pissed and her. Of course he's pissed by that, and he says that I'm pissed at you. You got what you want and I didn't get what I wanted. Yeah, it's very rightfully pissed.
Speaker 3: And he said, I think he makes a good point, he says, and.
Speaker 2: Then he says, well hold on, but then he says, don't push me, Colleen, I'm trying. Just give me a day. And then she leaves, right, but he's like, back off because he's just I just thought it was really well written and I felt for him.
Speaker 3: So then the next morning, jam in the shop. He's wearing the same T shirt. Did he spend the whole night working? I wonder? But he uses a payphone on the wall in the shop and he calls Colleen. He's been thinking about it all night, and apparently David Ann's is the phone because we hear Jake say Hi. He's like, Hi, you just see him go?
Speaker 2: Can I talk to your mom?
Speaker 3: Hi?
Speaker 2: Let's work something out.
Speaker 3: And then he gets Calleen on the phone and says he wants to work something out. He says he doesn't need her to tell David that Jake is his father, but he does want.
Speaker 2: To hang out with in person. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So then we cut to a really cute scene where Jake is getting ready in the mirror. He's getting ready to meet David. He's combing his hair and he's changing.
Speaker 2: His such a cute little montage, right, it's like getting ready for like a rom com. Yeah, they do those quick cuts.
Speaker 1: In the mirror, is Victoria's idea?
Speaker 3: Yes, totally, really super up.
Speaker 2: So he puts the jacket on and a button down. Oh the tie, Nope, too much, takes it off. Yeah no that's good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's all nervous, super cute and he's excited. I love the tone of that scene. So then we see him walking out in the courtyard. He passes Joe on his way out, and he's definitely like hopeful and enthusiastic as he's going, and he tells her he's on his way to meet David, and Joe tells Jake have a good time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, have fun, and then she turns and then the camera hangs on me. He leaves the courtyard, and then Joe like she's happy for him, like some Oh no, I know what she's clocking. She's going to maybe follow them, follow.
Speaker 3: Him, right, because he says very intention I.
Speaker 2: Saw that moment, like why would she turn and smile? But this is a moment that's telling of what's to come.
Speaker 3: She's thinking she's something because she's.
Speaker 2: Got her equipment with her because she's a photographer. I never heard that.
Speaker 3: So then we go to the restaurant where Colleen, David, and Jake are having lunch together outside a nice restaurant and Jake is watching David and smiling. David is asking Jake, hey, were you and my mom yelling at each other yesterday? And he says, yeah, but you know that didn't mean anything. And Jake and David then get into their own little, lighthearted, little disagreement about superheroes, and David said, well, you know, it's okay that we're arguing because you're my mom's friend, and that's sort of a bittersweet thing for Jake to hear, is like, yeah, friends friend, but yeah.
Speaker 2: And then at one point the little kid says, hey, mom is dad? Where's dad? Is he is? Where's my dad? Is he joining us for lunch? And she has to look at Jake and go, no, he's not.
Speaker 3: And it was just like for Jake, it was right after the moment where he sees his kid like having the same habit as him, is he's And he's very deliberately he wants to know to Colleen, is that something that you guys do or Robert do or and She's like, no, that's just David. So it's like, oh my gosh, my kid has the same biological thing whatever. He has this like happy feeling on his face and he's so proud and just chiling.
Speaker 2: On the poignancy and the connection, aren't they?
Speaker 3: And then the reality about calling Robert Dad was like that's when he says, all right, give me the papers to sign. Super bittersweet. So then at d and D al And is working at her desk. Michael comes in and tells her that he's arranged to have her admitted to the hospital as a teaching patient and there will be no charge. Alison is super grateful. Michael gives her the consent forms to sign, and she asks him a little nervously if he knows what they're going to do to her, and he says, you're in great hands and your surgery scheduled for next week. I mean nice, like boom got her and he made it work. And so then we're out at the hotel Valet. Colleen and David are going to be leaving, so they're saying goodbye. Jake's bike is there and they're saying goodbye to Jake. Colleen says she always knew Jake was a terrific guy.
Speaker 2: He says, by motorcycle man, did you guys tear up? I totally was like, I mean, I was just like lost it for this guy. Got to build up his inner conflict, like this is my boy. I just but he doesn't. He doesn't, he doesn't say anything, and he picks the boy up, you know, and they touch foeheads and you're just like.
Speaker 3: A, yeah, they have the sweetest girl.
Speaker 2: And then there's that wonderful freeze and it turns to black and white.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, because as they're saying goodbye and they do that sweet little bi motorcycle man moment, we hear a camera click and you cut away and you see Joe is out there hidden and she's snapped a photo of this very moment and she's captured this moment of Jake and David.
Speaker 2: It's beautiful.
Speaker 3: So then in her apartment, Joe is developing the photos in her dark room. She hangs one up to dry and looks at it smiling. And then at Jake's apartment, he's standing in his kitchen counter eating a piece of pizza, having a beer when Joe knocks on the door and she hands him an envelope and he opens it to find the photo that she took of him with David, and he's absolutely speechless and asks Joe how she got this lovely photo. Joe admits that she followed him, and he thanks her, saying he owes her big time. Joe says, I'll collect later.
Speaker 2: She smiles at him, and she very suggestively. I don't know how to say, but you know, I'll collect later.
Speaker 3: But she doesn't stick around. She like lets him have this moment. Yeah, he goes back, and so he puts the photo on his fridge and he steps back to look at it, and the episode ends with him looking at this photo and saying, you're gonna be okay kid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, were you guys thinking get a nice frame?
Speaker 2: I know I was beautiful picture.
Speaker 3: I also just thought it was such like a dad thing to do to put the photo on the fridge.
Speaker 2: It was such a thing to take a little magnet and put it right there in center. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so he has a photo on the fridge, and.
Speaker 1: You remember, does the kid come back? Is this a recurring storyline?
Speaker 2: He looked from well, yeah, okay, So I was a little confused because don't you remember I thought Colleen was played by another actress.
Speaker 3: Later we will have to find out. We're so lucky we get to watch these episodes and find all these things that.
Speaker 2: I do believe we see this or another kid to play David.
Speaker 3: I think it's I mean, I think it's talked about. I'm not sure if he actually makes We will have to find out, ladies, We will have to find out.
Speaker 1: Joe printed jeans and half like photographs.
Speaker 2: Of yeah printed yeah, yeah printed Verry artsy down and they were black for Joe to be wearing black. And I love the little I've always loved the black long sleep with the little cutouts that she wore.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was out. But when you showed up at the door with your shoulders showing, huh, all cute. And the other sign of the times is, of course the payphone on the wall. It's at his workplace and he has to like stick a corder in to make a call.
Speaker 1: Have you guys talked about another shop for a second? Have you watched The Americans? So it's a spy that takes place in the eighties, and they're like being chased by bad guys with guns and they have to find a pay Oh god, Yeah, bones love it.
Speaker 2: Remember they went from a dime to a quarter?
Speaker 3: Yeah too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, we also had some fan comments recently. One of the one of our fans commented on our socials that she loves the Newest Recap episode and that she was born in nineteen ninety one, so getting context about what was going on in the world is extremely interesting. She said she also loves hearing Courtney share her opinions on Allison's wardrobe.
Speaker 1: How did you like your wardrobe this one, Courtney, I was not a huge fan, but I think with the enlarged uterus.
Speaker 3: I think I think the wardrobe was really based around the uterus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought that for this laser in the opening with the it was like the nice embroidery and it was kind of a purple thing with the shoulder pads.
Speaker 3: You make it sound like shoulder pads, and it was nice in the day.
Speaker 1: No, that was that was a designer that Denise Wingate found that we wore a lot of oka beautiful blazers. Who else wore them? Juliuis Dreyfus wore a lot of them. Okay, I felt, yes, we have to find out the designer, but like that, if I mentioned that in the nineties that looked like.
Speaker 3: Something that she would wear. Elaine would wear it anyway.
Speaker 2: I thought that was I thought that you looked perfectly lovely. I thought Billy looked like Billy. But no, no pink pants with the tucked in with the belt t shirt. He's starting to look up.
Speaker 1: He was dressed as Santa. He was so insanely adorable, amantic leading and I'll take care of things, let me, I'll be there for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I went home together.
Speaker 1: Alison did soften a bit, thank god, because if she kept up her Yeah, she.
Speaker 3: Had a lot going on. She had a lot on her mind, a lot of pressure, a lot of stress.
Speaker 1: I don't know. If I mentioned she had a tumor, it was benign, but it would have to be a moving I did notice her enlarged insurance I don't know.
Speaker 2: And the parents were struggling and didn't have extra money.
Speaker 1: And my dad lost his job.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they're living off their savings.
Speaker 1: They really covered all the bases why I had no option.
Speaker 3: There's a lot. We had another comment from a listener and on Reddit, actually someone noticed and observed maybe Jane's back into referencing the Jane's baby storeline. Maybe Jane's baby is a metaphor for Melrose one point zero, and when the baby dies, so too does that version of the show. So right when that transition is happening, the show is transitioned. I thought, what a very profoundation.
Speaker 1: Although this one felt like the original episodes better, like more happened, like we're getting but it hasn't gone Yeah, these are gone off, like there's one about insurance and healthcare problems and one about Jake's child like these are. And then a date, a lovely date of romantic date. So it's still sort of standard.
Speaker 2: Starting to change, yeah, the process, but I like that point too. I love that people are, you know, thinking about it and pulling out because as we're doing for the first time undiscovering, like yeah, you know, it's like archaeology daycare, like remember this, remember that. I love that the fans are doing that with us.
Speaker 1: So do you remember, Laura, when you came on, was it still sort of sweet? And then when you came back is when it started to get crazy.
Speaker 3: I mean I didn't really have a sense of it being of like the before times or whatever. So just me coming on, my little bubble of storyline was I was already there to like mix it up a little bit, you know, so you did too.
Speaker 1: How long were you gone?
Speaker 3: I'm going to be gone for the rest of season one and then just going to come in for these thirsion two.
Speaker 1: Were you hired as a series regular?
Speaker 3: I can't. I don't think I was a series regular by title, but I was there for every episode.
Speaker 1: So you started off recurring and then they did a contract.
Speaker 3: They yes, I think so, and again, let's like await or you could.
Speaker 2: Keep recurring the whole five years, right.
Speaker 3: And it's like also you're credited for being a regular. That also just sort of means a different pay scale too, you know exactly, that's right. So yeah, so I think I came back as like I don't remember, but I think I came back as a guest by title. But I was there for kind of every episode for season two and beyond.
Speaker 2: Again, eighteen is our Christmas Christmas December twenty third, and then you'll when we come back in January, yep, we'll be watching you yep, so you won't have to feel left out anymore.
Speaker 1: So we're looking forward to our next weekend. For a minute, you're going to be a part of her min it and then you get booted out.
Speaker 2: Well too, you do too, right, I just do.
Speaker 3: And then it's Laurele, I'm gonna go back to narrating.
Speaker 2: Well, basically, you come in and then this this. By the time you come back, the show is just like what Yeah, see you guys next. Ye bye.