Speaker 1: From Mahard where Innovation, Money and Power Collie in Silicon Valley NBN.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Technology with Caroline Hyde and Ed Ludlow.
Speaker 1: And Ed Ludlow here in San Francisco. Caroline Hyde is off today. This is Bloomberg Technology coming up. Lordstown files for bankruptcy, shares plunge as the evmakers deal with fox Con unravels. We'll bring you the details on that developing story. Plus, we'll talk AI and regulation with an MIT researcher who recently sat down with President Biden on his trip to San Francisco. Will get her takeaways on how the government plans to tackle the booming technology. Plus, we sit down with famed venture capitalist Gary Town of y Combinator for an exclusive interview talking investing the generative AI and how his firm is investing in building back the Bay Area. When it comes to names in the technology sector, we are thinking about lord Town, the news a Chapter eleven filing. We're down thirty seven percent right now, we are trading. The stock had been halted. The relationship with fox Con, which was the contract manufacturer right that was going to build Lordstown's electric vehicles. That relationship is disintegrating. Let's get the details with Bloomberg Shaun o'caine. He covers everything Evy and auto start up for us at Bloomberg News. Sean, what is the latest when it comes to Lord's Town.
Speaker 3: Well, we've known this fight was coming for a while and now it's here. We have Lordstown Motors basically saying that from a minute that they started inking these contracts and Fox Hunt to build the vehicles that Lordstown has spent the last couple of years trying to build. There, it went south that Fox COHNN started renegging on some of its promises, that it wasn't living up to its funding milestones, that they were basically not showing up to meeting, that the Lordstown CEO went to Taiwan to try to get some information on the vehicles that they wanted to build together and was just basically ghosted at a meeting there. So this is a relationship that's been deteriorating pretty quickly over the last half year or so, and we've started to see signs of that in May when Lordstown really started making some noise about this in regulatory filings. But now it's really out there in full view, you.
Speaker 1: Know, The next question is is this the end for Lord's Town. You know, they've kind of relied on fox Con to build their endurance on their behalf. Do they have other options to move forward?
Speaker 3: They've been saying for months that they need another outside partner, which I always looked at as a pretty big claim, considering that Foxcom was supposed to contract manufacturer these vehicles for them, and for Lordstown to come out a couple months ago and say, hey, we actually still need more help from somebody else, another OEM that it was a pretty big sign that Foxcom was probably not up to snuff. So Bardstown still thinks that it can find a way through. It's still going to try to operate, you know, sort of the core aspects of the business is going to try to keep the lights on while it goes through this Chapter eleven proceeding and uses that restructuring process to give it a bit more of a solid footing to fight fox Con in this lawsuit that it filed.
Speaker 1: Today as well.
Speaker 2: But we'll see.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think the question is have they actually developed anything over the last three four years of value that would either attract a buyer or attract a partner that they've like they've been looking for over the last couple of months. Obviously they haven't found anybody.
Speaker 1: So it's a great point. I mean I started this year at CES in Las Vegas. As you know, I borrowed one of the Endurance pickups. I drove the CEO around for about an hour. There was a truck at least, you know, an early prototype. What's the widest story here. You know, we've always kind of viewed Lord's Town as one of the pile of eb startups that we're kind of not really sure about, like the viability of their business and their technology.
Speaker 3: I mean, the history of the company and the story that they were trying to tell was always just very tangled. I mean you think back to twenty nineteen and the fact that they bought the company from General Motors, or the factory from General Motors that they were supposed to be operating in. It was announced by President Trump in a tweet, and he sort of got it wrong. Without the gate. He said that Workhorse, which is another startup that was going to be buying the factory, and this company was really spun out of Workhorse. There was always this weird relationship between it and Workhorse. It was licensing ip from Workhorse to build this vehicle. It was always this sort of tortured product. And yeah, they were able to get to the point where they were making a few of them with fox gone, but they were never able to get to the point where they were able to get that cost under the MSRP that they were trying to promise, and even the MSRP had gone up over time. They were originally targeting a lower MSRP, and they just got to the point where, yeah, they had a vehicle, but it was really not one that was ever going to scale by their own admission. So that's why they started looking for out i'd help, and they clearly needed that outside help because Foxcom wasn't able or willing to live up to its end of the bargain. So I think now looking forward, aside from what's going to happen with Lordstown, this just really raises a lot of questions about what fox Conn is going to try to do for EVS in the US. It's got big ambitions for that factory in Ohio, but right now we see Lordstown filing for Chapter eleven bankruptcy. One of the other tenants that's supposed to be in there working. Fox Cohn had its back merger dissolved earlier this month, and Fisker has already delayed its second vehicle with fox con in that building. So that's three out of four partners already that are seeing trouble with foxtun in that building.
Speaker 1: All right, Bloomberg Sean o'caine on the ev beat. One of the top stories on Bloomberg technology this Tuesday. Thank you. The other top story and kind of activity we're seeing is in the crypto space. US based payments and crypto firm Circle closely watching regulatory developments in Hong Kong after the territories new crypto rules went into effect. We sat down with its chairman and CEO to discuss.
Speaker 4: All around the world, every major market, stable coin laws are coming into place, and I think what that signifies is that this kind of digital currency, these fiat linked digital currencies, are about to become a part of the mainstream global financial system.
Speaker 1: Elsewhere, we're seeing activity in bitcoin and bitcoin cash. And guess who's here Bloomberg Shnali Bassk with the crypto beat. Let's start with Bitcoin gap cash, right, it's basically doubled in value over a seven day period. It's the kind of spin off. Why what's happening?
Speaker 5: There are a few things. One, remember bitcoin cash is in fixed supply and it is now being traded on the new exchange that was started by the backing of Citadel Securities and also a fidelity in large players on Wall Street, And so you do seem some activity here and they are trading only really four assets here, it's bitcoin, either lightcoin, and bitcoin cash.
Speaker 6: So oere Bitcoin in.
Speaker 5: The last seven days ed has risen less than thirteen percent. Bitcoin cash has risen almost one hundred and thirteen percent, so a very meaningful rise there. But remember it is not traded as widely as Bitcoin is in particular, so you would see a bigger jump there.
Speaker 1: Then you would see a bitcoin.
Speaker 5: For example, that is a largest cryptocurrency and is trading at more than thirty thousand dollars. And remember that thirty thousand level. We have been there for about a week or so now pretty much since we have seen that kind of black Rock filing for a spot ETF giving a lot more institutional support to some of these crypto assets.
Speaker 1: Well, speaking of the headline, which caught my eye and moved the needle in terms of the energy we saw in bitcoin in Tuesday's US morning session was the block reporting that Fidelity is preparing to submit a spot big Bitcoin ETF filing. What do we know about that?
Speaker 5: Something that's interesting if you take a look at the movement here. You saw a pretty significant rise in Bitcoin after the black Rock ETF filing, which coin basically the custodian of the bitcoin assets as well. But now the block reporting Fidelity gives you another big investing giant behind the weight of crypto and this idea here that there could be support even from US regulators to get this done in fuller form. We have plenty of ETFs when it comes to the future markets of futures markets in the crypto world, but to have this much institutional support behind a spot ETF shows you that perhaps the biggest of Wall Street giants are getting on the bandwagon here when it comes to crypto and the idea of getting regulatory support behind it. We know that there are many many applications in the sidelines here, and the question is at what point do those become reality and how much more money can that really draw.
Speaker 6: Into the system.
Speaker 1: Bloomberg Shnali Basek on the crypto beat here on Bloomberg Technology, Thank you so much. Now coming up, the Biden administration is taking steps to better understand and regulate artificial intelligence. We're going to talk to AI researcher doctor joy Bola Weeni about the panel and get her view on the risks and rewards of using AI. Just really interesting reaction to her conversation with President Briden. As we had to break. We're also watching shares of Snowflake, the software company announcing an AI related partnership with in Nvidia that will enable businesses to create customized generatorve AI apps using their own proprietary data. Having a positive effect to the upside up three percent is we had to break. Here's what RBC's laur Calvacina had to say about the NASDAK earlier today, thinkingvaluations, this is Bloomberg, I would still stick with tech names.
Speaker 7: I do think that NASDAK is getting a little bit overbought. If you look at the CFTC data, we're hitting new highs on NASDAK mini positioning that Beings said, I don't think you have to sort of throw all the growth stocks out at this point. A sector like communication services where a lot of the Internet names are those earnings revisions are starting to weaken. They're actually staying stronger in tech property.
Speaker 1: Oars official intelligence startups stability AI has lost at least two top executives in recent weeks. That includes its head of research and chief operating officer. The departure has come the same month that an article Informs criticize the startups. Stability joined us to discuss more is the person that broke that story, Bloomberg's Rachel met Rachel.
Speaker 2: What do we know?
Speaker 8: Well, we know that David ha who is stability AI's head of research, left recently, and we also know that Reren Itto, who had been the company's chief operating officer, also left.
Speaker 1: Stability told me that David had left. Sources had told me.
Speaker 8: That David had left on his own, as he had resigned. Stability CEO Emad Mustak told me that Wren actually had been, in his words, leg.
Speaker 1: Interesting. You very recently spoke with an ad at the Bloomberg Technology Summit. I give our audience a sense of what's going on with this company. They're kind of seen as a leader in the field. But you know, despite the name stability AI, there are some issues that investors as well are concerned about. Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 8: The name has inspired unfortunately a few jokes on Twitter in the last twenty four hours. Is it stable or it's not so stable as some people are saying. I mean, the fact is that some people have had really short tenures at the company, and you could see how that might concern people on the outside. I'm aren't sure what's happening. On the other hand, it is true that I'm often with a fast growing, early stage company, which this is. You might have some executive turnover for a bunch of different reasons, right Perhaps you want to bring in more experienced leadership or different leadership, and sometimes things just work out. So right now, you know, we're looking into, well, what really happened here and what's going.
Speaker 6: To happen going forward?
Speaker 1: All right, Bloomberg's Rachel Met the latest reporting there from Bloomberg Technology and what's happening in the AI space. Let's stick with AI and talk about regulation. Doctor Joy boll And Weeny is the founder of the Algorithmic Justice League and an AI researcher at MIT. Just last week, she sat with President Biden to discuss artificial intelligence and joins US now from New York. We'll get to that conversation with President Biden in a moment. You listen there to what Rachel had to say. How do you see the pace of innovation right now in AI startups? And does it trouble you how quickly some of these companies are moving and then changing direction.
Speaker 9: Yes, I am extremely troubled with how quickly we are releasing generative AI systems without the transparency to know where the data is coming from. And also we continue to see data being taking without consent, without compensation, and you're going to continue to see increasing lawsuits against companies that are built on what some would say is stolen data. You had Meta Facebook settle six hundred and fifty million dollars when it came to violating the bip UP Biometric Information Privacy Act of Illinois. So I think it's extremely risky for companies to be building on unstable foundations.
Speaker 1: Doctor Joy, What were the specifics of your discussion with President Biden? Yes, artificial intelligence, but what did he want to know?
Speaker 8: So?
Speaker 9: I was very encouraged by how engaged President Biden was at the roundtable, and we started off discussing the possibilities of AI for healthcare for education, but quickly focused on real world harms of AI, and so I focused on racial bias, gender bias, and known false matches that have led to false arrests, such as the case of Robert Williams, who was arrested in front of his two young daughters and his wife due to faulty AI system. So that was certainly a top of mine. I also think there's an opportunity for the US to lead on biometric rights, but right now we're going in the opposite direction. Last week we had EU lawmakers push forward the EUAI Act, which has a provision that bans the use of live facial recognition in public places. While this is happening here in the US, we have the TSA rolling out domestic facial recognition, and most people don't even know that they can opt out. So that's why we're doing the TSA scorecard fly dot AJL dot org to actually hear from travelers. Was their notice, was their consent, was their signage? Happened if you try to opt out? Could you actually opt out without consequences? So we certainly discussed where the US could lead when it comes to biometrics rights.
Speaker 1: Dr Joy It's interesting the comparison between the European Union and what we see in the United States. Did President Biden give you any sort of indicational pledge that the US will kind of be more active in regulating or at least acting on a framework in terms of god rails for artificial intelligence technology.
Speaker 9: Well, something that I was encouraged to see last year from the Biden Harris administration was the release of a blueprint from an AI Bill of Rights. And I think that's exactly the way the US should approach regulating AI right, which is a rights based framework, and so here you would have protection. You would have specific protections against algorithmic discrimination. There would be notice and explanation, there would be privacy when it comes today, and consent, and these systems would have to be shown to be safe and effective. In the case of Robert Williams being falsely arrested, the system wasn't even effective. But even if we had more effective biometric systems, this then can lead to mass state surveillance, which is not the society we want to have here in the United States.
Speaker 1: At MIT, tell me about your research. What are you focused on. So my research.
Speaker 9: Looks into bias in various types of AI systems, So probably most known for the gender Shades paper, which showed racial bias and gender bias in commercially sold projects products from IBM, Microsoft. Later on we also did Amazon as well. Right now, with the Algorithmic Justice League, we're focused on real world harms. How are people experiencing AI systems being used for access to government services? So, for example, we know that the IRS put on board id ME as a way of accessing basic tax information. But we launched a campaign and we heard from many people saying that they were having so many different issues, not just from the technical side, but also from a privacy side. And when you have a company that says to use our system, you waive your right to sue, but there's no other way to access that government service. We are moving in the wrong direction, but it's not too late to course.
Speaker 1: Correct, doctor Joy. The core of your research and your role is looking at the societal risks of AI. But how do you yourself use artificial intelligence tools? Would you say that you are pro AI is as a tool to advance mankind?
Speaker 9: I am optimistic about using ethnical AI systems, and what I try to do is say are the AI systems that I would like to see use built on an ethical pipeline, and if not, are there ways we can shift that. I'm very excited. For example, with what we're seeing with AI and healthcare. There's a startup called bloomer Tech where they've identified a major health gap which is about one in three women die of cardiovascular disease, but less than a quarter of research participants are women when it comes to actually studying the disease, so we have a very male centric model of heart disease, and this does mean that women have worse outcomes. So they've developed this innovation of smart fabrics that can give you digital biomarkers, and they are also addressing this data gap because there's such a lack of data when it comes to women's heart health. So those sorts of areas, I'm very excited about the possibilities where AI isn't taking away livelihoods but improving a life outcomes.
Speaker 1: Doctor Joy BOLLAMWENI reflect on that meeting with President Biden here in San Francisco last week. Thank you so much for your time that in New York. All right, time for talking tech. First up, India's buy dju is talking with prospective new shareholders for a one billion dollar fundraising round, seeking delay investors who want to clip its founder's control. The education tech firm is offering sweeteners to win over newbackers, including preferential treatment in the case of liquidation. Plus. Baidu's chat GBT style service called Ernie has outperformed open ai seminal product on several measures in China. That's according to a statement from China's search leader, who implies the latest dis seration of Baidu's foundation model won't have to compete with open Ai directly in China. A Meta has quadrupled the number of companies using it's WhatsApp business tool in the past three years. The app now has more than two hundred million customers, up from fifty million in the middle of twenty twenty, making headway in a push to generate more money from the popular messaging service. Right coming up, we're going to continue our conversation and all things artificial intelligence and speak to one entrepreneur in the space, Joseph Miller. He's a former Bridgewater hedge Fund employee. He joins us next to discuss the launch of his new app, Quiver, which uses AI and the blockchain for digital identity loads. More to come here on Bloomberg Technology. From here in San Francisco, focus NAI and don't forget Gary Tan's coming up. Why Combinator That is one you don't want to miss. A gloomy day in San Francisco, but a beautiful show. This is Bloomberg Technology. Welcome back to Bloomberg Technology. I'm Ed Ludlow in San Francisco. Let's check in on the markets, and it is the technology sector that is powering this rebound. We're seeing inequities and as that one hundred up by more than a percentage point follows Friday and Monday session that gave us the biggest two day drop on the NAS that one hundred going back to March, even as Bonyield's kind of pushing higher up three basis points on the US tenure yield three point seventy five percent. In crypto, the story has been about bitcoin cash, this spin off from twenty seventeen. It was at a time where you know, software engineers were banking on anything with bitcoin in the name being a success. But it has become an old coin that's become popular. A one hundred percent gain in a sort of seven to nine day span, and we continue to push higher one point eight percent, trading at the highest level since May of twenty twenty two. More headlines this morning giving energy to the crypto space as well in terms of single name movers, that there's no huge focus on any one theme. We are looking at palabalto Networks hit a fresh record high three point five percent, gain two hundred and fifty two dollars a share in the AI space and now to the downside, but we've kind of clawed black some of the declines as Alphabet parent of Google Burnstein out with a note saying this was a stock that was like a warm hug, but it's time to sit on the sidelines because there are some risks about the shift from generator to generative AI that could impact its ad streams in the near term. Sit on the sidelines, but hoping to come back to it. I thought that was an interesting note, but it has impacted the shares had been much lower, now off by two tenths of one percent. Now sticking with generative AI. Zoo is rolling out access to Microsoft's Azure Open AI service this week, allowing forty five thousand employees to test out the product in its core lending unis. The firm is seeking ideas from workers in Japan on how to best use the technology. All right, let's stick with the conversation in AI. Joining us now is Joseph Miller, the co founder and chief data science scientist for Quiver, venture backed consumer app for validating and monetizing digital identity prior to Quiver. Joseph, you're a manager. You're at Bridgewater Associates, who focused on building AI decision making systems for senior management, and you also co founded viven, the world's first aipower platform for aligning sales and products in tech companies. You know, Bridgewater just a giant hedge fund, right, Ray Dalio is where my mind goes. But when you hear that story about Mazoo, another sort of financial institution on a global scale, rolling out a generative AI tool to its employees, what do you think you've been in this domain? You know how difficult it is?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 10: I think that it's a good question. So I think that generative AI does a lot of.
Speaker 2: Things for startups.
Speaker 10: Like you know, I'm a serial entrepreneur doing these things building products. I think that it does has enabled us to do things that we otherwise weren't able to do at scale, but also brand new technologies. So like we're you know, Quivers, a series seed company, Like we're a small group who are just starting up, and you know, to be able to do the sort of generative AI, the natural language processing at scale that you're able to do now with a simple API key is pretty unbelievable, and it's allowing us to do things that are was otherwise prohibited before.
Speaker 1: We will get into Quiver in just a moment and talk about the specific use case that you're trying to crack. But when you left Bridgewater, did you consider developing an AI product or platform that could be used in the world of financial markets and financial institutions.
Speaker 10: Yes, actually so when I left, I also started working on trading algorithms of my own, mostly based in causal inference.
Speaker 2: And the biggest use case.
Speaker 10: For generative AI or really LLLM models is actually the synthesis of the amount of data that you have to crunch in order to try to understand the market right and being able to do that again, like I said, being able to do that at scale is a thing that has really only become available and possible and say the last few years.
Speaker 1: So Quiver, let's get into it. The primary artificial intelligence use case is to protect the badging process. Well, what is the badging process?
Speaker 10: That's right, so Quivers, we're trying to do something a little different with digital identity. I think that people tend to think about digital identity as like a KYC know your customer, you know, what's social security number, what's your driver's license, where do you live? This kind of stuff, And instead, what we wanted to do is focus on the more human aspects of our identity and create a platform where people can aggregate all of these different facets they have on different platforms. Right now, you know, your music preferences might sit on Spotify, maybe your lifestyle preferences are sitting in somewhere in some collection of Instagram photos and Twitter tweets and things like this, and we wanted to create a space where you could bring all of that together and represent yourself more holistically. And of course not you know, the things that make us most interesting are often not online at all, and so the question is how do you bring that online and how do you.
Speaker 2: Get that validated?
Speaker 10: And so we have this social protocol that allows people to create video and sumbod evidence that gets voted on by the community and you get validated for that way too. So for example, if you're a dog lover, like there's probably not you know, that's a silly thing, but it's a big aspect of our humanity, right, So when you put that next to say your accolades, and you know you worked at Bridgewater, but you're also a dog lover, it makes you more human.
Speaker 2: And I think a big part that.
Speaker 10: Is missing in the Internet is that aspect of our humanity. And so that's what we're trying to do. And then of course our AI use case there is this is obviously very delicate, right, we need we need a lot of trust in this space. And so again going back to like things like agent models in AI, it allows us to do to protect that authenticity and that validation process at scale in a way that was completely impossible even six months ago.
Speaker 1: Jersey, if I'm almost certain that a big portion of the Bunomberg technology audience dog glovers, It's okay, it's not silly. It's built on graph AI algorithms explain the underlying technology to me, what is the point of difference there on a graph AI algorithm.
Speaker 10: Yeah, So what we have is a sort of graph that connects all of the users and their interests and their likes, and then what we can do in that is do community detection.
Speaker 2: We can look at fraud detection.
Speaker 10: We can look at if there are bad actors in the community, if there's a group of people that are sort of taking over some sort of some some you know niche of the of.
Speaker 2: The of the badge like library, if you will.
Speaker 10: If there's things like prejudice, if there's things like you know, people trying to you know, discriminate in systematic ways. The graph allows us to suss that out and see and detect these bad actors.
Speaker 1: Joseph Miller of Quiver formerly Bridgewater, thank you so much for your time.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: It's time for VC Spotlight, and today we're going to talk about why Combinator YC hosts two three month programs a year to help a select group of startups and founders in an accelerated program. One program runs from January through March and the other from June through August. The summer twenty twenty three batch has officially started, and for the first time since the pandemic YC is hosting the group in person and all in the Bay Area. Of the four thousand startups yc's funded since two thousand and five, many have become household names, including Airbnb and Stripe. Joining us to discuss Gary Tan, the CEO of y Combinator, Welcome to Bloomberg Technology. It's great to have you here in person. Thank you so much for having me in San Francisco, indeed in the epicenter of tech. And we will get to that. And that is your message to this class of Summer twenty three. Why so insistent that this group be here in person?
Speaker 6: Absolutely so.
Speaker 11: As you know, hy Combinator funds people at the earliest possible stage, sometimes when it's literally just an idea and a couple co founders, and so really in order to go from zero to one, to create something that has never existed before. There's nothing like having the energy of people in person, not just right next to each other, writing the code and shipping it to users. You know that you could do from any living room or any bedroom in the world. There's something special about hundreds of founders coming together and actually helping each other. And that's really why YC has been so successful over the number of years.
Speaker 1: Really we're the same Bay area, but really the message from you is San Francisco.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think San Francisco in particular, what the AI boom is really about Cerebral Valley, which we call Hayes Valley, right down the street. There's something very special happening here where literally the foundational models, the open source, the smartest people in the world are sitting in those cafes. You're having discussions not just about starting their companies, but also what is the cutting edge of what these AI models can do.
Speaker 1: Let's go through the mechanics of it. You know, the initial investment pledge is five hundred thousand US dollars to each of the startups and then a three month program, you know, going through the operational side of things. But what happens in that time.
Speaker 11: Absolutely, I think the most important thing that's crazy to me is the people who start these companies. They are the most eminent of all of the people who could be starting companies at that moment. So we had more than twenty four thousand applications for about two hundred and forty spots.
Speaker 1: Twenty four thousand was a record, that's right.
Speaker 11: So our acceptance rate was just under one percent, which it's never been as selective as today.
Speaker 6: But that means that those.
Speaker 11: People in that room, they actually go on to become the most eminent people in startup them.
Speaker 1: Sorry to interrupt, but what does that day to represent If you had the most applications on record and you're accepting the fewest on record, what does that tell you about the big picture of this economy?
Speaker 11: Well, I think at the end of the day, we're trying to set these founders up for success, and so you know, if there is ongoing high interest rates, one of the things that we're really trying to focus on is how do we make sure the founders we do fund are the people who are most likely to go on and succeed. And so in a time of cheap capital, that means that maybe we can fund more people. In a time of more distress like right now, we have to be much more mindful of what are those businesses and can we see really great revenue, great gross margin. And that's one of the big reasons why today we launched our Top Companies list that's on our website.
Speaker 1: Today we can discuss the Top Companies list. I think I want to go back to the mechanics, because what surprises so many people, whether you cool why combinator, an accelerator, or an incubator, it's just a three month program. How can you get anything done in that time?
Speaker 11: Well, I think the cool thing that I get to do is I get to work with twelve of some of my closest friends who are known as group partners. And the big thing that's different now is actually as CEO, I am actually also a group partner, So we actually have thirteen people working with the companies.
Speaker 6: And so these are some.
Speaker 11: Of the people who literally work with these top revenue and top valuation companies from the zero to one stage, literally a few people just starting out. For me, I got the privilege of working with Apor Vimetta from Instacart, or Brian Armstrong from Coinbase, or Kyle Vote from Cruz Automation. These are all companies that have gone on to sort of change both their industry but also tech broadly. But I can't tell you how crazy it is to meet people when it's literally a YC application on the web. And that's really I think one of the great innovations of our time that Paul Graham, the founder of YC came up with here's this website where you go to y combinator, dot com slash apply and anyone with an idea anywhere in the world on the internet can apply and someone will go and read it, and our community will figure out, hey, should this person be a part of our community.
Speaker 1: Of the twenty four thousand that applied and then the two hundred and forty that were accepted, I guess the question goes to, like, what do they have in common? Or paradoxically, are any of them not AI companies?
Speaker 11: Oh yeah, so actually only thirty five percent of the companies in this batch are specifically AI focused. I'd say maybe half of them have some AI component. YC has always been generalists, you know. That's how YC was able to fund coinbase, really even years before anyone he'd even heard of bitcoin. And I think the key message here is that the best people in the world to sort of create these startups are actually the technologists, the builders, who are just a few people writing lines of code.
Speaker 6: It's a very fringe thing, and what YC does is take people who otherwise would.
Speaker 11: Be on the fringe, but they're some of the most technically and engineering wise brilliant people in the world, and you know, we sort of teach them how the pieces move. You know, we teach them chess the part of, you know, building a business that frankly is the easier part to being highly technical and being on the cutting edge of what's happening in technology.
Speaker 1: Gary, how do you ensure you've got the funds to deploy every year for two programs? Is there's still LP interest in backing you? Absolutely?
Speaker 11: I Mean one of the amazing things about YC is if you look at every single top venture capital firm in the world, pretty much all of them have a YC company that is either on their homepage or often multiple of them that have become fund returners for those VC funds.
Speaker 1: So to me, states becoming LPs in themselves. I mean, where are you getting the funds from?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 11: And really speaking, all the same kind of limited partners that you would expect in venture capital.
Speaker 6: And that makes sense because YC to me is actually.
Speaker 11: The fountain of prosperity for this type of activity in the world.
Speaker 1: Two pieces of news. So we've got through the class of summer twenty twenty three. You're also publishing this list of the top net revenue generating companies you backed in twenty twenty two, private or otherwise. Why, I mean, those are two different scales, ends of the scale.
Speaker 10: Ye.
Speaker 11: The reality is, and this is no news to anyone. Twenty twenty one was such an extreme sort of time and one of the things that we became very concerned about because we actually want to be a bellweather of trying to teach the next generation what they should focus on. There was this over reliance on thinking about what's my next round. The fast money meant that you were going to chase top line growth at all costs, and of course now we're on the other side of a very deep hangover about that, and so we thought, how do we as a community put forward the things that founders and people who are sort of creating this technology, what should they.
Speaker 6: Be thinking about? And right now you know, now more than ever, it's about gross margin.
Speaker 11: It's actually about net revenue sort of one of the things I'm calling it is literally edible revenue. And one of the wild things now just can you pay people? Can you pay salaries? Can you actually run your operations on this revenue? And what's funny is looking at the different financial and accounting sort of shenanigans that people pull often it's about sort of hiding this number. So I think maybe we should make this an industry standard, like should you know whether or not it's a marketplace or you know, there are lots of different specific accounting rules for specific comps.
Speaker 6: But why is that.
Speaker 11: Shouldn't we just use one metric that actually will allow founders to make the right decision, which is to build great sustainable companies and know that they can grow over the long term.
Speaker 1: We should talk about San Francisco and where to build for the long term. I mean, your position on this city is well known, but as of today, where is your head at?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, you know.
Speaker 11: The great thing about San Francisco to me is that it gave me everything I have. I learned a code in the city, taking bart into Petrero Hill in Web one point zero, I learned how to make database backed websites. And what I realize is San Francisco and the Bay Area is the place that is a magnet for all of the most technical people in the world. And when you have those type of agglomeration effects, when you have all the smartest, most brilliant, most driven people in the world coming here, of course they're going to create wealth.
Speaker 1: But we have problems as well, and you've been very vocal acknowledging them absolutely. And I guess where my question goes is how much more deeply you would be involved in political cycles, putting money into initiatives and candidates, yourself being involved in politics.
Speaker 11: Well, some of my friends started an organization called growsf which is one of the most important things. How do we take really some of the smartest people who have created this wealth, and how do we have an impact that's positive on our local economy. We want that wealth to actually be shared with everyone. I think a lot of people criticize tech and tech people broadly as sort of ann Randian libertarians, and speaking for myself and my friends, you know we're not Randians where Gene Roddenberry type of Gene Roddenberry is sort of.
Speaker 6: Our spiritual future.
Speaker 11: You know, what we believe is Starfly The Academy was in San Francisco for a reason, and we can actually build San Francisco into San Francoccio if we actually have the right policies and the right politicians in place. And in November of twenty twenty four, I think.
Speaker 6: If you follow grows up. You'll see our plan to make that happen.
Speaker 1: This is the first opportunity I've had speech to you since the collapse of Silicon Valley Bank, and the commonality with y Combinator is that SVB was often the first institution to write a check. Bloomberg reported last week that the FDIC had mistakenly released this document to our news organization that revealed the backstop on all depositors with balances exceeding two hundred and fifty thousand was also inclusive of Sequoia and many large tech startups that didn't need it. Frankly, and you were an advocate for that initiative in the first place, on the smallert side of things. What's your kind of thoughts on that and reaction?
Speaker 6: Absolutely, you know, I.
Speaker 11: Think the hard part about SVB is that it really did hit the little guy. You know what I realized for us, you know, YCS fun over four thousand companies, and of course the top one hundred, top two hundred are some of the biggest names that you could think of. But what the backstop was really about was saving the tens of thousands of small and medium sized businesses that literally would not be able to make payroll. And I think this fact coming out doesn't change any of that. We would have set back technology perhaps five years, perhaps a decade if you just suddenly killed at a very early stage of company. And so you know, I hear that argument, but the truth remains that there were hundreds of thousands of jobs that were saved.
Speaker 6: In that moment.
Speaker 11: And I think the FED and the FDIC and the people in charge they did the right thing.
Speaker 1: Gary. When I think of you, I think have also about initialized and you returned to YC in January. You were the key man alongside Alexisanian and you've kind of come back to y see quickly. How did that conversation go with LPs of analized? And is it now just all alexis initialized?
Speaker 11: Oh so alexis left to start his own fund called seven Semi six a number of years ago.
Speaker 6: The new managing partners are Brett Gibson and Jen Wolf. They've done an incredible job.
Speaker 11: I mean, the number one thing I love is that in venture, the best and highest to me is not to elevate a single person, but to really create an institution that lasts well beyond anyone who sort of started the business. And you know, I looked at Paul Graham and Jessica Livingston who created YC for us. They're still there, but they made space for what is now an institution, and I am merely the steward of that institution going forward.
Speaker 1: Why you comminated to see you, Gary Town was so grateful for your time here in San Francisco. This is going viral. Taylor Swift's Eras Tool is on track to become the biggest in concert history. It could potentially gross over a billion dollars that milestone or break the record for global concert tours currently held by Elton John followed by Ed Sheeran. Swift will play one hundred and six contexts by next summer, including fifty four shows over seats. There does it, guys, for this edition of Bloomberg Technology, so much to recap. Don't forget the podcast. Wherever you get yours, Apple, Spotify, iHeart, and of course Bloomberg from San Francisco. This is Bloomberg Technology.