Speaker 1: Welcome to this League podcast. I'm your host, Trista Creek. I am here with.
Speaker 2: The esteemed Andy Lou Sam s Ndari.
Speaker 1: We are talking about one thing and one thing only, and it is the demise of the Golden State Warriors.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: There's been very overt.
Speaker 1: Conversations and directives from the three stars in Klay Thompson, Steph Curry and Draymond Green.
Speaker 2: To win right the fuck now, to win right now, move your pieces, we don't want any more young boys. Get rid of these young boys that we can't play with.
Speaker 1: And then Draft night comes and we see Mody Moses and and oh Boy and Jonathan Kaminga. So, to me, my perspective is that the whole wind now thing is out the window and that it's time to send and sound the alarm bells. Because I I'm a pessimistic cynic. So I wanted you two to come on for a very special episode where we just talk about this and you guys give me the real perspective on what the fuck is going on in the bay. Whoever wants to start can get into it, because it feels like to me that since Jerry West left, things have been really going off the rails fast and exposing a lot of incompetence from ownership all the way down.
Speaker 2: Help me help me here.
Speaker 4: Well, So I feel like the Lake of Interview was finally pulling the curtain back at what people have been seeing for like the last decade, which is it's not just Jerry West, it's Travis Schlank, yep, Atlanta GM. A lot of people have left the Warriors, and the owner has taken a more active role in basketball ops.
Speaker 2: Couent evaluation as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just full Al Davis, full Jerry Jones action going on here where it's and in the past, the Warriors would do the thing where it's like, well we have Jerry West, we have Bob Myers, we have Travis Schlank, and we work together as a group and I'm just there to kind of help them to Now it's I have my own big board and this is who we're scouting. So it's like I appreciated that interview just because it was like, we're no longer like pretending the facade of this thing where he's not involved in basketball ops is happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that Joe lacub one on one with the athletic to me was like Okay, everything that we thought was happening with them in terms of where they were heading and what their mindset was, which is like, we're going to try to win sort of now, but we're really planning for the future because we don't think we really can win now, which is actually impossible to accomplish, is to plan for the future and win now. I think that there's never been a team that's been able to do that. And if you can think of one NBA community, please let me know. It does feel to me like Andy, it's just kinda they're not even gonna be close to contending.
Speaker 5: I can't imagine if you're Steph Curry and you're Draymond Green listening to that, that you walked away with a smile on your face and say.
Speaker 6: Yes, I can't wait.
Speaker 5: I cannot wait to be the kindergarten teacher to these nineteen year olds, which I think if you ask Sam and I as Warriors fans, we are excited about the three guys that they've drafted the last two years, wise Men, Moody, and Kamingo, we think are gonna be fantastic basketball players in five years. Like that's that's kind of the thing. If you ask us, we're happy about it, but you know you you want those three guys to be Steph, Draymond and Clay. That's what you want in the best case scenario. You want those three guys to be who the three guys the Warriors have today. So the question becomes, why, why does Joe lacob feel like he has to do that now versus kind of punting to the future.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I think part of it is that he feels like he brought the three championships to the Warriors. He feels like he has a big hand in that, more so than Steph Curry, more so than some of the players. I think that gets his ego or anybody's ego, to a level where he feels like he starts to have these grand illusions about where he wants the franchise to be at. Here's the thing, Joe lacup, as far as I'm concerned, and I tell this to Sam as a joke, but it's not really that jokish anymore. He knows as much basketball as US three right here, because he's never played, he's never coached, he's never been in really any situation where he's had to do this in his life, and now we're sitting here and he's telling us that he thinks Johnathan Kaminga should be the pick at seven.
Speaker 6: Honestly could be right. I think it probably is.
Speaker 5: But what does that tell you that he's a guy that's making that decision?
Speaker 6: Probably not great?
Speaker 1: The funny, the funniest thing to me is that, and I would love to get your perspective on this is like, how delusional are you when you say? No one at all? No one knew what Sam Presty was going to do at six, Like everybody.
Speaker 2: Was wondering what he was going to be up to.
Speaker 1: But I, personally, me, Joe lacub I just had a feeling that they were gonna go get Josh.
Speaker 4: Giddy, didn't it doesn't it sound like a Trump press conference the whole interview.
Speaker 6: Nobody knew except for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we love when he when he said this too.
Speaker 1: We all we the Warriors and how we develop guys and how we look at guys as like we love wingspans as you know. I was like, am I reading Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: Talk about basketball right now?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: What the fuck is going on?
Speaker 4: So I'll provide one counter perspective, And I don't even know if I buy my counter perspective, But what if this is all for show because everyone thinks the Warriors are desperate to make a trade and they're in kind of that situation the Celtics were in, were like everyone knew they wanted to make a trade and everyone was trying to rip them off. And then, as we know, Danny Ainge never made a trade, and you know that kind of went sideways.
Speaker 6: What if this is Joe Lacob trying to play possible, yeah, control.
Speaker 4: The narrative, act like a crazy person to the point where we're all sitting here.
Speaker 6: Going like, I think he's serious.
Speaker 4: I think he's okay with Steph leaving as long as he gets to develop his guys so that maybe they don't have to trade four bazillion picks to get ex player who might help them.
Speaker 1: To me, it feels like Jerry Reinsdorf is Joe lacub and Bob Myers is Jerry Krause, and this is now the end of the Chicago Bulls era. They want to run it back, but these guys don't want to run it back, and they're basically saying, leave if you want, because we're starting a new era.
Speaker 2: And it starts right now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think there's a part of it now.
Speaker 5: I think the difference is that if there is a trade on the table in terms of a superstar, the Warriors is gonna do it. If you tell him that Bradley Beal is on the table, they'll do it or ye, honest. The problem is that you can't just those guys don't want to go anywhere.
Speaker 6: Like Bradley Beal apparently loves losing, so he's.
Speaker 5: Just gonna say Washington right like he's not going anywhere.
Speaker 6: Now, the question becomes.
Speaker 5: Then are you willing to trade those picks or Andrew Wiggins for kind of other role players?
Speaker 6: And I don't think the Warriors are trying to do that.
Speaker 5: So when you're a contending team, sometimes you have to take those risks and say, we're going to trade the number fourteen pick for a vet. A vet that's maybe not that great, that's not going to be not an.
Speaker 4: All Star, but it's like notatively going to help you win basketball game.
Speaker 2: So what about Pascal Siakam.
Speaker 1: All I heard was that Pascal Siakam wanted to go to the Bay And if you're trading those picks for Pascal Siakam, and you send Andrew Wiggins back north of the border, Like, why doesn't that help you get closer to a championship?
Speaker 6: See, I mean I think that I agree, Right, I think I agree.
Speaker 5: I think to them, in that scenario, they do Wiggins and like a pick.
Speaker 6: But here's the thing, they wouldn't do it for Wiseman.
Speaker 2: Wha his meniscus is.
Speaker 6: We love Wingspan in the Bay Trista. Yeah, it's all.
Speaker 1: About he's treating these guys like their fucking horses. And it's like, that's not how basketball works. Is not just measurables. Everybody has measurables. Like Andrew Wiseman to me, does not have the mindset right now of an.
Speaker 2: Elite dog that's going to be a star in this league. Why is he so attached to Andrew Wiggins? I mean, James Wiseman.
Speaker 4: Well, you can say for both, to be honest, Yeah, I was gonna say that kind of works for both.
Speaker 6: Actually, I mean.
Speaker 4: I personally agree with you, Like I understand the excitement over a high lottery pick, and like we all know, on Draft night, everyone's comp is like ex Hall of Famer or y hall of Famer, right, Like everyone's going to be the next David Robinson or hikeem or whatever. And then you watch them play and you realize that's there's a reason those guys are Hall of Famers and not everyone is. I don't know, that's like to me, that's the question. They seem so much higher on their assets than anyone else.
Speaker 6: It feels I keep going back to.
Speaker 4: It feels like the Celtics where it was like everyone heard about how they, you know, had all these picks to make all these trades and they were going to be a super team as soon as Daidy Age did it, and like five years passes and they don't do anything because they're super obsessed with their.
Speaker 6: Own picks and everything the whole way down the line.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, that kind of comes back to and we're not spending this time talking about Alan Smiley Gaach.
Speaker 6: Nobody knows who Alan Smiley Gaach is outside the Bay Area.
Speaker 5: But the Warrior spent three years a time, commitment and resources to try to develop a guy that really it took you thirty seconds to watch them and realize he wasn't going to have a plan in the NBA.
Speaker 6: And I'm not saying that's James Wiseman.
Speaker 5: But I think the over evaluation of the of the players that you have comes back to Joe lacub won at Wiseman, you know, the Lakeups, wont It Smiley, And when it comes down to those guys making decisions, they're not just gonna say, hell, oh man, it's got some cost, let's move it, or in the Wiseman case, like I would do Wigan Wiseman in a pick for Pascal Yakam.
Speaker 6: I don't think that the.
Speaker 5: Warriors are ever gonna do that or even come close to doing that, because they value their guys a lot higher than really, I think most players, most teams in the NBA.
Speaker 2: I just don't know what to say about that. That's very concerning to me.
Speaker 1: How can I mean, what is gonna happen with Steph Because at this point he's he's a very smart human being, Like I know, he's kind of caught between.
Speaker 2: This is gonna be all about me.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be the Steph Show and the Splash Brothers are back and YadA, YadA YadA, and that's great for the brand. But like if he actually wants to win another title, like he's gotta know that's not going to happen ever again on this on this franchise.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think the curious thing is we've heard nothing from him. You notice none of the Warrior Core players congratulated like Kuminga or no, Like, I don't. I don't know how much you should read into that other than like Steph says to always tends to always like tweet or you know, you know guy right, that type of thing.
Speaker 6: It feels like there's a little bit of a holding pattern. I think.
Speaker 4: Uh, I would assume that those Joe lacub quotes were at best, at best gotten eye roll out of like Steph and Draymond, and at worst got like actual anger. And I don't, I don't know that they're definitely sitting back and waiting. But if you think, like Steph, Draymond and Clay are going to be cool with like them rolling out last year's roster but with like different kids, just the same concept, I think, and then hey, hey shout out Nick Patum though that's a good player.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah it is.
Speaker 1: I just don't think it gets you, like, are they in a group chat like did you see this motherfucker lakeup?
Speaker 2: Like did you see this ugg quotes?
Speaker 6: I mean it is Draymond does Draymond does.
Speaker 5: Subtweet or I guess subpost on on ig story about some of the quotes that Lakeup has had in the past.
Speaker 6: So I can see that happening now.
Speaker 5: I also think part of that kind of conspiracy wise to Sam's point that Steph hasn't said anything, is that maybe they're talking trade right now with those guys that they drafted. Maybe they couldn't get something done on Draft night. Maybe they drafted Kaminga at seven, because that's kind of the guy with the highest subside at seven. If you're a team like I don't know if if you're any team right that that that says.
Speaker 6: We're gonna trade guys.
Speaker 5: But you're looking at a guy who, you know, maybe you're rebuilding and you need a lot of talent. Wouldn't Cominga be the guy that you want to trade for at seven. It wouldn't be Franz Wagner. I don't think. I don't think. So maybe Steph is sitting there and saying, yeah, I'm not gonna say, you know, I'm not gonna congratulate these guys for beyond team. They might not be on the team in two weeks. Maybe the Warriors can still trade those guys. That's rare scenario. But maybe those guys are still going and getting out of there. So I don't know. I don't know, but it's definitely not a good sign.
Speaker 1: Tell me this, is there a scenario we see a Damian Lillard type like discontent, not sure what's going to happen. We see he's got four years left on his deal and he's still not quote unquote committed to my team long term. He's waiting for the moves that they make and has made it perfectly clear this is not good enough. Is there a scenario that Steph, as good of a guy that he is, does the same thing.
Speaker 4: He hasn't signed an extension yet. I know this is the last year of his contract. He's not one to, like, you know, talk publicly on those sort of things. He just kind of plays like the good soldier. But it is curious we've heard nothing from him like this whole time. The only time he spoke was at the golf tournament up in Tahoe, and it was it was a classic Steph non answer where he was just like, yeah, a lot of things, a lot of balls in the air. We're obviously going to make moves in free agency, but basically insinuating that, you know, they need to add more talent to the team.
Speaker 6: So, yeah, I'm curious.
Speaker 5: That is a lot of money that Look, he's probably starning the extension, right, I think the I think everybody kind of on both sides knows he will, but because there's a lot of money he'd have to turn down if he doesn't, it's just I don't even know. Sam, you probably know what the actual amount is. Fifty million, sixty seven. I don't know what it is an incredible amount, but the fact that he's not signed it yet is actually interesting.
Speaker 6: And who's to say it could be a sign trade.
Speaker 5: I mean a good I mean, but you're saying with Lillard is that he signed the contract in a year later He's saying, well, I don't.
Speaker 1: Know, he's about to start that contract now there's four years and it's just beginning, and he's like, I'm not sure.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, that's in which is a fair point if I think Lakeup goes down this route.
Speaker 6: But I am with Sam a little bit. Some of it is his showmanship with with Joe.
Speaker 4: He is always He's always been a braggadocious say salesman, like, that's.
Speaker 2: Just what venture capitalists do.
Speaker 6: Exactly, It's Correctactly.
Speaker 4: Is there nothing more venture capital than trying to sell you on the future when what you're looking at in front of you you're like, I don't know about that, guy, Like that's the most VC thing of all time.
Speaker 6: You want Series D for what you guys aren't even profitable. Actually, so you could still do that, but yes, what remains.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the whole concept of a venture capitalist is like, let me sell you on a potential dream that is nowhere close to coming to fruition yet and most likely will not, so that you can give me more time to gather more assets to manifest.
Speaker 2: This into existence.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a boat's a boat, but the mystery boss could be anything. Sure, we're going here, it.
Speaker 5: Could be another boat. It could be another boat. Like you can warriors fans. I mean, you can sell me on comingo Wiseman and Moody. That's the thing, Like, you can actually sell me on that. But the problem is that you've already had a company that ipo' and has been extremely profitable and now is leak and oil. Like that's the problem is that you still have a top twenty basketball player of all time.
Speaker 6: You know what I mean, sitting there in his prime.
Speaker 5: I mean one of the greatest seasons ever for him, and you can't sell me on a future one's just about the money.
Speaker 2: Is it just about the money?
Speaker 6: I don't know if it's just about the money.
Speaker 4: I think it's the fear factor that Like, Okay, so the dream scenario is there competitive while the young guys develop and they never have to have the we're gonna be garbage and win twenty games four years in a row scenario, right, Like I do understand the allure of that. It's like, even if they're not contending for titles, Chase Enter sold out every night because they want to watch Steph Curry. And then theoretically at some point Kuminga and Wiseman are stars who are lifting you too, right, just the reality of it, which is like, why would Steph Curry sign up for like spending his last years of his prime just like carrying a team to an eight seed while they spend all their resources developing nineteen.
Speaker 6: Year old right right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he said, Joe Lacob said this, I think that we can contend. If we can't, you should look at Joe Lacub speaking in the third person, and Bob Myers and Steph Curry and Klay Thompson Andremond Green and Andrew Wiggins and say you weren't good enough shout out not throwing Steve Kurr under the bus in that accountability circle.
Speaker 2: But that's okay, we're paying all that money you need to be good enough.
Speaker 1: Does Joe Lacub think that there's a one to one correlation between how much you pay someone in the production that they're going to give you.
Speaker 6: I mean, he is a VC guy, I guess, so. I mean, here's here's one thing. I will say.
Speaker 4: They do have the highest payroll in the NBA. The question should be why do they have the highest payroll in the NBA with this roster?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 4: Like, what are you what do we get for this this highest payroll?
Speaker 6: Right? You know, what are we getting with Andrew Wiggins here? What you know?
Speaker 5: It's not a correlation to what's on the court. So to me and Wigans, yeah, that was funny insertion.
Speaker 2: Touch that funny thing.
Speaker 1: To me, it all started when they wanted to get something back for losing Kevin Durant. They didn't want to get nothing back, so they took d LO on a long deal and then it all just kind of spiraled from there. Now you have to try his bad contract for another bad contracts, So you're just playing like like whack a mole with terrible contracts. Is like do everything that you can to get rid of them. Bob Meyer said, this, things are happening. This is pre draft, which we probably should have been concerned about.
Speaker 2: Right then. Things are happening really fast. Right now.
Speaker 1: You used to have a three to four year window we had that. That's not the case anymore. And now we have to think about the future.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 5: I didn't even actually know those culture out there. Oh Sam, we now we got to use those because that is wow.
Speaker 6: That is now.
Speaker 4: It's all about tempering expectations to be I mean this feel they are experts at that.
Speaker 6: Yes. Yeah.
Speaker 4: This to me, it's like you either take them at their face value or you think they're playing some sort of like forty chess.
Speaker 6: Yeah, or they're just trying.
Speaker 4: They're just trying to make everyone believe that that's what they want to do.
Speaker 6: I don't know, I don't know where I land on it. I go back and forth.
Speaker 1: It really very much. I feel like you guys are I don't know. I don't know if diluted is the right word. You're just like so far into the bay. You want to believe that something's happening, but I don't think anything's happening.
Speaker 6: Guys.
Speaker 1: I think this entire next season is going to be us just railing on the Warriors and how they're like, if they are five hundred at the trade deadline, what happens?
Speaker 5: Wow, I was I was just going to say, I will if I were a person that believes in the front office, I would say wait until the trade deadline for something to happen, because you're right, if they are five hundred, Let's look at last season, right, they didn't you who's the the disabled player exception which they had for I believe nine million. They never use that. They never picked up anybody else. They ran with a head and any for twenty for ridiculous. They could have picked up anyone, Austin Rivers, Dwayne Deadman and anybody. Me saying you just to anybody they could have picked up. They never did it. They just went. They just went with eight guys, and that showed you that they were saying, yeah, we kind of don't care. About this season. Yeah, we could make the playoffs, but end of the day, we're not gonna win the championship.
Speaker 6: So we're gonna punt. Now.
Speaker 5: If they do that this season and you see that again at the trade deadline, one, I would be actually shocked, right.
Speaker 6: Two, if I were Steph, I would I mean, like, I think, very very hard.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if they told you again that, yeah, we're kind of a second round team right now, we're not really gonna try to get better with kind of the pieces that we have, I would be, uh, Yeah, you don't just punt because you're you think you're not gonna win a championship. Like we saw Phoenix Suns in the in the in the NBA Finals, the Feeding Suns were not a top three team all season. What about maybe not even a top fourteen?
Speaker 6: Got the Milwaukee Bucks.
Speaker 1: Milwaukee Bucks like going and getting DJ Tucker going and getting.
Speaker 5: I mean they traded three first for Drew Holiday also though like that, like and then they had injuries too, But the point is or to even get there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean they probably would have lost to Brooklyn if Kyrie doesn't get injured in the middle of that series.
Speaker 6: Based on how it was going at that, but you never know what's going to happen, what happened.
Speaker 4: All you can do is like put yourself in that situation. Warriors have lucked out from it and kind of had bad luck with it. Like in sixteen, we're gonna start getting hurt in the playoffs, Like all you can do is put yourself in a pinission and kind of yeah, exactly when nineteen's a little more tragic. Yeah, all you can do is put yourself in that situation. It's kind of weird that their management's like, ef, we're like a five seed, what's the point, Eh, we're like a seventh seed.
Speaker 6: What's the point?
Speaker 4: You know, if we're not going to have the greatest team on Earth, what's the point even trying to go for it?
Speaker 5: That's not how That's how sports works. All championships count the same. That's that's the crazy part. It's it's like treating It's like not training for anyone outside of Bradley beal Right. It's like we don't want Joe Ingles, Like that's the new rumor. We don't want Joe Ingles. We only want to make a trade of it's Bradley beal Like that's kind of the stuff where you're a little I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, coay. Isn't that very short Isn't that very short sighted?
Speaker 6: Though?
Speaker 1: Given that, you see how important it is to have depth, to have critical role players that fill, you know, roles that other your stars don't feel, to have an actual cohesive team and not just a squad full of stars. I mean, we see Team USA and how fucking garbage they look on the international team and they've got fifteen or nine all stars on that team, right, So like you see the Clippers picking up you know, Mark, Marcus Morris, you Nick Batoom and these guys get big minutes and actually contribute. Tory Craig contribute, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: It doesn't feel like listen, I'm in panic mode for you guys. I just I don't the level of urgency from you, and it's starting to make me concern that I'm crazy.
Speaker 4: Don't worry signing Nicholas Batoum back in the finals. Everything's good, I do.
Speaker 5: I do feel like a lot of there are a lot of people out there that aren't Warriors fans or cover the Warriors that are more stressed out about the Warriors.
Speaker 6: And I think that says a lot.
Speaker 5: That says a lot where there are people outside of Warriors saying, the hell's going on over there?
Speaker 2: It feels very dysfunctional.
Speaker 6: What happened?
Speaker 4: Meanwhile, Yeah, you talk to like average fans in the Bay Area and the vibe of gods.
Speaker 6: Yeah, what he said made sense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we'll do that because they're dealing with so much goodwill because of the run. They went on previously that it isn't obvious to people who are around the Warriors or around the Bay Area that like you might be in for a little bit of a rocky ride and dysfunction the way it is to like you on the other side of the country. Quite frankly, twenty nine other teams. You know, Yeah, it's it's you get get that three title. Good will gets you.
Speaker 5: It probably will get the Warriors until Steph retires in a couple of lean years. We saw this. I'm a I'm a San Francisco Giants fan. Sam isn't, but Sam makes his comparison all the time. They'll get with goodwill until you're that best player retires, that run is over, and then a few years after that and then it'll expire. So maybe six, seven, eight years is there'll probably be no panic.
Speaker 6: And then.
Speaker 5: FISC fans are also different as different than the softy market.
Speaker 6: It's a little different.
Speaker 1: Than Steph demands a trade and then Draymond's gone, and then Clay's gone and you have done everything.
Speaker 6: Well, that is the one wild card.
Speaker 4: If Steph actually takes a public position that's like antagonists, if he does what Aaron Rodgers did last week, right, I would be curious to see how that was received, because as much as the fan base trusts ownership because of all the success they've had, when you have like probably the greatest player of franchise history, if he ever came out and said something like a lot along the lines of what Aaron Rodgers said last week, I'm not so sure that you know, Joe Lacob wouldn't get booed a second time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, well, panic in the bay. Let's move on my boy, Tsunami Poppy. I would be very curious to know your opinion on where he goes, what happens with him, and your reaction to him saying, uh, you know, he can't be put into a box and he thinks.
Speaker 2: He's a perfect fit with Greg Popovic.
Speaker 6: And system.
Speaker 4: He is the best quote in the NBA because he reminds me of Michael Scott, where like he just start sentences and does not know where he's going.
Speaker 6: And it's like half.
Speaker 4: The time he uses words where I'm not sure he knows the definition of the word. Like it's just these quotes are amazing, and yeah, I do love the list.
Speaker 6: Is like, oh, you.
Speaker 4: Thought Steve Kerr was kind of like a difficult coach to play for, So you want to like you want to up the annie you want you want like Spoe or Pop, like that's going to fix it.
Speaker 2: That was so wild to me. Do you think that they do a sign and Trey Warriors.
Speaker 6: Like you try to? I think, yeah, right, I think the Warriors will try to.
Speaker 5: But it's kind of also up to Kelly Ubra to kind of say I kind of want to help the Warriors out, which to you solid, Yeah, if you're if you're an Uber and you kind of worked through, Let's let's think about what Uber dealt with through the season. Right, he he came in through the season, he slumped. I think he shot about two percent from three. There was asked to play out a position, was asked to play out a position then was moved to the bench.
Speaker 4: We've kerr twice like publicly kind of was yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it kind of yeah. I mean, he's not a starter, but we'd love to have him back.
Speaker 5: It's like he's a twenty five year old kid that has an immense amount of talent, and honestly, Steve's right, he's not a start. He's better off the bench, right, But if he's a better six man, you want to keep the guy.
Speaker 6: You got to at least want to say the right stuff.
Speaker 5: So if you're Kelly Ubray, who I mean, funny guy, but uh, if I were him, I would say, give me twenty million with san Antonio, move on.
Speaker 4: And you could you could sense it with him all year, like the contract your stress. Like you'd see it with him when he'd miss a few shots in a row. You'd get that vibe like you could just see in his mind he's thinking, will I not get the contract I want if I can't hit a shot type of thing, Like it's kind of stressful. But I do hope he goes to San Antonio because I would love to see uh Ubra and Pop together.
Speaker 1: That might make Pop retire mid season. That move I could see. All right, Becky, it's your turn. You you want the challenges here? It is fucking tsunami Poppy.
Speaker 6: Teach him how to pass, please Jesus Christ.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's so wild. And it's not like the Warriors can't lie. They're very good at lying. So I don't know why Steve Kerr didn't just lie and say, oh, I love Kelly.
Speaker 2: He's great, he's a he's a good starter. We're just trying to figure out our rotation right now.
Speaker 6: Steve's not gonna lieing.
Speaker 4: That's the problem, you like, publicly, Hey, we're not chasing wins.
Speaker 6: That one, No I do. Yeah, why would you say that?
Speaker 4: Why?
Speaker 6: Why would that be a public statement you make?
Speaker 2: So Clay, let's talk about him. When's he going to be.
Speaker 6: Back, asked doctor Andy.
Speaker 2: Nobody is. Nobody's saying anything about him.
Speaker 1: I know I got an update when he was I think he was jumping or running or something they got there was like a breaking news about it.
Speaker 6: Bob Myers.
Speaker 4: Bob Myers did kind of say he doesn't think he'll be ready for the start of the season. So that's like the only thing we're really going off of. Like I wouldn't expect him in uniform on opening night.
Speaker 5: No, and that's not I don't think that's a setback, and I don't think that's a bad thing. It's just it's a long recovery process from two ligament injuries. And I think even when he comes back, he's playing probably fifteen minutes a game until February, and he'll probably be at about, you would hope, eighty percent or so by the time the playoffs come around. But even then, he's not playing thirty six minutes a game like he usually does in the postseason, right, Which is why when you look at the quotes from Joe Lakeup and Bob Myers and Steve Courr that say, you know, a lot of this hinges on Klay Thompson. It's not fair to Klay Thompson. You think he wanted to rupture his achilles and tear his acl like, it's not fair to say that this guy, you know, hinge if this guy's healthy, like, he's not gonna be healthy, he's not going to be one.
Speaker 6: Hundred percent, Like it's gonna take him another year to get there.
Speaker 5: So I think that's where the quotes it just doesn't make sense to Warriors fans, or at least to Sam and I, because it's you can't expect Clay Thompson to be twenty nineteen Klay Thompson, which was an awesome best player that he's ever been in his career.
Speaker 6: You can't guy's gone.
Speaker 2: And doesn't that pressure sort of put.
Speaker 1: How would I put this him in an uncomfortable vulnerable spot from a physical standpoint where he could possibly get injured by being put into spots or being rushed back or.
Speaker 4: I mean that's basically what happened was his achilles right, Like he injured it playing pickup and it wasn't team sanction pick up.
Speaker 6: I'll put it that way.
Speaker 4: So I mean, that's that's also clear. That's how he tore his acl He's he's the kind of guy who's like, it's not hurt that bad, I'll keep playing hard like It's why he's as good a player as he is and why fans adore him, Like he plays through everything. So I think they're trying to figure out how they can like effectively get him to you know, both play while not ignoring the way his body feels and doing like normal maintenance stuff so he doesn't reaggravate anything.
Speaker 1: Prediction time eighty two games next season? How many Warriors wins?
Speaker 4: You got to ask me after free agency? This is unfair, Like right now I'm looking at right now, I'm looking.
Speaker 2: At like Nicko bait, you get Nick Batum.
Speaker 6: That was eighty eighty and two. Now I'm going forty eight.
Speaker 5: I think they went forty eight if I because I do think Nikmatum actually signs with the Warriors. I do think Andre Goodola does come back, and I do think there is a move that they do end up making for a veteran. Look, I'm I'm I'm beating the I siven Joe, series D, series Z. Whatever he wants, whatever he wants, I'm giving it to him. I think they would forty.
Speaker 2: Eight six first round exit.
Speaker 4: I think, and eighties really just like you know, just completely fillaying him and then at the end of it, like all right, here's here's the check.
Speaker 6: Here's what Joe giving me two thousand dollars this morning. Here's here's what I'm going with.
Speaker 5: No, I think that they end up being a kind of because if you look at the Western Conference, who's in front.
Speaker 6: Of the Warriors, Oh my god, I mean like six seven team space, No but but they're a mess.
Speaker 5: Like I'm assuming kind of like best case scenario for the Warriors here, right, I'm assuming Clay comes back and he's ready to play twenty minutes at some point here at the end of the seasons on the team, they get a couple other vet guys. Here we go, Here we go, here we go. Here's my final part. Here's my final part. Kawhi is out for the season. Jamal Murray's out for half the season. He's out for the whole year. Yea even worse a whole year. Right, So those are two top top team. The Phoenix Suns, I think they're kind of a fluke.
Speaker 6: And then you got the Lakers Russell Westbrook, What are we doing there? Guys?
Speaker 5: Come on, what are we doing there? They need I could be I could be the best mass They're solid. Also, not a real post other than Luky.
Speaker 2: I mean, you're not a real postseason team either.
Speaker 6: At this moment, three teams in the West. The Blazers might be gone. They might be gone from that team. Yeah.
Speaker 4: My short answer before we see the end of free agency is they're in that mix where Portland and Dallas is where you're not sure if they're contenders or not, they're just you know, somewhere between forty two and fifty two wins, somewhere in that in that range, which is like probably you know better than anyone else. It's infuriating to watch one great player drag you to kind of not being contender but also not bottoming out.
Speaker 6: Ever, Yeah, that's kind of where they're sitting.
Speaker 1: That's thirty years of being a Portland Trailblazer fans never really fully committing to the destruction and a lottery pick. So, I mean, good, lastly, before I let you run, tell me what it's like to see Kevin Durant publicly destroy you on Twitter. Andy, please like, give me through the run of the emotions of that.
Speaker 6: I did before I sent the tweet. I did.
Speaker 1: Can I read the tweet really fast? I'm gonna read the tweet because people want to know. Someone says, dudes from the Bay, it'll be slightly than kd treatment.
Speaker 2: That was in reference to Dame, right, yes, correct, all right?
Speaker 1: So I think people were wanting to know how Dame would be treated if he went to the Warriors, and Andy quote tweeted that and said, question mark, the treatment is not from Warriors fans, Lol, it's from the media.
Speaker 2: KD is a different story. He had it in his head. Golden State fans.
Speaker 1: Had it out for him still.
Speaker 2: To this day smh.
Speaker 1: And then KD quickly responded to that tweet and said, you made this upfam dot dot dot, like out of thin air. And then you responded to that tweet by saying, very funny, my bad. Steve Kerr took my phone exclamation mark, exclamation mark, run me through the emotions of that.
Speaker 5: I didn't actually want to send the tweet out because I knew the response that it would get, not thinking it would actually be from Katie. So I sent to Sam and say, I don't know, should I send this out. Sam didn't respond, probably actually working, so I said, I screw it. I'm in a good mood. It's a Friday afternoon, so I shoot it out. Katie responds, and I go God. I wasn't mad that he responded. I just was annoyed that my mentions were going to be in hell for twenty four hours. That was my concern. The funny part of it is Kati Kad just says stuff off the record on the record via DMS on podcasts. He would just say stuff and then two days later he will just totally contradict himself. And I think that's the best part of Kevin Durant these last few years is that I think Katy just doesn't care what people think anymore. Katy wasn't mad at me. I think Katy just saw my tweet and he just said, yeah, I'm just gonna say this guy's making stuff up because this tweet just doesn't make any sense to me. The crazy part is he spends so much time ever since he's not been a warrior, whining about how he was treated as a warrior, and Steph that it's ironic that he's mad at me for that tweet, So.
Speaker 6: I think it's funny.
Speaker 5: I think KD is the best social media person that we've got in the NBA, and then he spends three hours time on Twitter spaces arguing with people with thirty followers.
Speaker 6: There is no other person like Kevin Durant.
Speaker 5: And my range of emotions is that I was slightly annoyed, and then I became very happy knowing that.
Speaker 6: Kevin Durant he's just like us. Three he is just like us. He is the best. He's just online.
Speaker 1: If it was me my heart because I go through this at work all the time, where you know, you get through into controversy and you're like, oh man, what's this about to be? And you just feel that tightness in your chest. You didn't feel any of that. No.
Speaker 5: I also, I spent a lot of time covering Katie, and we were in the locker room together a little bit.
Speaker 6: We weren't friends. You want, like, hey, handy, Wan's say want dapping me up?
Speaker 5: Obviously, but he obviously but uh, but I think, uh, I used to be a lot more professional back in the day, So I think he kind of looked at my tweets and wash it's Andy again. No, I wasn't. I wasn't too I wasn't too concerned because I don't think there's any OO that Katie has for for anyone. I think what's interesting is I think sometimes you see the stuff that Dame says and it feels like, oh, he seems like he's taking that kind of personal when he's on social media. To me, Katie, I think is trolling. He's trolling as much as I'm trolling. That's how it ended. He's trolling as much as I'm trolling. And I think as a person that trolls. I gotta appreciate that. I gotta give it up to him. It makes me happy.
Speaker 6: You got beat at your own game. Beat you got.
Speaker 4: You gotta respect it. It's like respect it. It's like how Katie out Super Team Lebron. You just gotta respect it.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you gotta tip your cat, which Lebron has to do at some point here.
Speaker 1: But my prediction is thirty thirty eight wins for the Warriors.
Speaker 2: Come on, you'll decide to punt at the deadline. Nothing will happen. We will be back though.
Speaker 1: We will definitely have talks again, because I promise you right now it is what August second, yep, free agency day, and nothing I think of note will happen for the Warriors in the near future. So it's gonna be panic mode in my opinion, for the rest of the season and probably into the next season.
Speaker 2: After that.
Speaker 1: You might be a lottery team again, fuck it, who knows, but we will.
Speaker 6: Define super team of nineteen year olds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, got just a bunch of guys with wingspans. We love them, as you know, so I'm gonna have you guys back. We'll be talking about the Warriors all season I appreciate you guys finding the time early scorely on a Monday morning on the West Coast.
Speaker 2: That's all the time that we have for this league.
Speaker 1: Podcast interview with Andy Lou showhy O Tani stand account, Sam s F and d R e uh you can you can find and they also are the hosts of the light Years podcast on Spotify, on Blue Wire Pods, on Apple podcasts.
Speaker 2: They also have a TikTok account, so.
Speaker 6: They're there this morning.
Speaker 1: They're literally just getting into the young kid game. So follow them on that. Thank you guys for joining me. We'll talk more on the DMS.
Speaker 3: So if youre a column holiday fall, it's sound of risk it all. Say hello to the big dog, say goodbye to all the falls. Keep it a hounted, keep it on and keep it a down certain people so that we don't allowd no no, no, no no no.
Speaker 4: Bow pole.
Speaker 3: You a slow pole all black? Oh you'll stay WHOA I'm the best, I'm the best case clothes rock kill.
Speaker 6: Rock, I ain't no joke. Let me that give me that you mean that, give me that, give me that, give me that. I want this and now what you mean I can't have that?
Speaker 3: Stand your lane, Lowis Lana skirt skirred on him. Stang your lame penny lander skirt skirred on him. Big big, big big dog, big doll, big dog.
Speaker 7: Walk in, big dog, walk in with the dog. I'm a risk it all. I'm a risk it all. I'm a whisk it all.
Speaker 3: Lie big big big big dog, wig dog, big dog, walk in, big dog, walking with the dog.
Speaker 4: All.
Speaker 7: I'm a risk it all. I'm a risk it all. I'm a whisk it all.
Speaker 6: Lie.
Speaker 3: Ooh, you gotta risk it just to get a biscuit.
Speaker 2: Biscuit?
Speaker 3: How many licks does it take?
Speaker 6: The She wanted to elect.
Speaker 3: A trapper, but she all ready to elect the rapper.
Speaker 6: Oh mine, oh mine, so.
Speaker 3: Fly fly say I stay fly, I stay fly wild. That's to get by. I want it all out a piece of the pie. Everybody eats everybody, and we keep all of the receipts.
Speaker 6: Swing good.
Speaker 7: We live in good.
Speaker 3: We could have made it up about the hood.
Speaker 6: Give me that, give me that, give me that, give me that, give me that, give me that to me that I want this?
Speaker 2: And now what you mean I can't have that?
Speaker 3: Stay your lane, Lois Lana skirt skirt on him, stang your lame Penny Lana skirt skirt on him. Big big, big big dog, big doll, big dog walk in, big dog, walk in with the doll.
Speaker 7: I'm a risk it all.
Speaker 6: I'm a risk it all. I'm a whisk it all all.
Speaker 3: Big big, big big dog, big dog, big dog walk in, big dog, walking with the dog.
Speaker 7: I'm a risk it all. I'm a risk it all. I'm a risk it all.
Speaker 1: Hm.