Speaker 1: Welcome one and all to the Here a Territory podcast. My name is Sean Coleman. Hope, wherever you are and wherever you are listening, it's good to be back with you. Less than twenty four hours since we spoke with the Great Chris Willis about the Braves, you know, struggles over all over the past five weeks. Thankfully we're able to come to you live on Wednesday night after a big victory for the Braves, a needed victory for the Braves, a rare occurrence here recently where the Braves looked lifeless on life support for the first six innings and then all of a sudden came to life and got the job done in the three to zero win over the Pirates, a pretty unique win with how dominant Pirates Jared Jones was but as always with me to break it all down, one the best when it comes to breaking down the Braves. Steven Tolbert, Steven, my friend. Good seeing you again tonight.
Speaker 2: It's a buddy. Yeah, we don't typically do shows like back to back like this, but listen, we gotta take any win we can get, and we need to record after a win because it's no fun recording after losses. The losses have been piling up the last five weeks, and you know, they won the game tonight, and was it pretty no And you know, did it seem pretty dire at times? Yeah, I thought they might have a perfecto thrown against him. You know. I think the one thing that might have saved him from that is the fact that the guy pitching for the Pirates had just come back from uh, the internal brace procedure that Strider had, and they've been very very careful with him and really haven't let him pitch many innings or many you know, throw many pitches in a start yet, So that's probably about the only thing to save the brace tonight. But they got the w and that's all that matters. And we're gonna break it down, of course, but it was just a big Listen, they are limping to the break. Everybody knows that, but everyone you can get between now and the end of the week just helps a ton So it was a big win tonight.
Speaker 1: Especially with the Phillies losing. More on that in just a moment as well. But let's mix it up with some unique names that were there for the Braves in this victory. As we mix it up engineered by fastenal So to your point, Stephen, if Jared Jones had been able to pitch, you know, more than the six innings were either not podcasting tonight or with how name it, both the Braves and Pirates offenses looked. They're probably still playing, you know, that could literally be the case right now. But Jared Jones was removed in six innings. And to tell you how dominant he was opt as stats, a really fun follow on Twitter slash x it mentioned that in the modern era of baseball, tonight Jared Jones, Jared Jones became the only pitcher in baseball history to complete at least sixteen in a start and literally retire every hitter that he faced throughout his outing and yet not get a win. And that goes to show what kind of stands out about the Pirates is that as good as their offense has been, what really, you know, kind of is their favor flaw is their bullpen. And thankfully that was what the Braves were able to get done. This seemed like a Braves victory. You saw, you know, quite a bit in the first few months of the season, even if the offense was not that great as we got further into the game. Again, the Braves had the advantage offensively and with the bullpen, and that showed tonight. But the first focus that I want to give is Grant Holmes, who has been up and down for much of this season, but tonight he was on point. At times struggled, but got the job done and was able to go further into the game than he has here recently.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was watching the game tonights and I felt like a twenty twenty four game. Can you remember the twenty twenty four season. The offense couldn't do anything. The Braves had the best pitching staff in baseball that season, and they just won. It seemed like every game they won they won two to one, two to nothing, three to one, one to nothing. Like if they won games, this is how they won them. And that's what the game tonight reminded me. Like no one could do anything offensively. Jared Jones was just busting them up. I mean he was throwing ninety nine one hundred all night long. You know, it wasn't a ton of strikeouts, but it was enough strikeouts to where you know, it was dominant. And credit to Grant Holmes, man, because the Braves needed. Listen, the zero runs he gave up, of course, are the headliner, but the Braves needed like at least five innings from their starter tonight, even if it was with a couple of runs on the board, Like getting fifteen outs was the most important thing Grant Holmes did tonight. They just couldn't. What they could not have is another like Grant looks great for three innings and then blows up in the fourth and he's out of there, and the bullpen's got to cover six plus innings. Like that's what they could not have. And so yes, of course, you know, giving up zero runs and going pitch for a pitch with with Jared Jones helped a lot. But just getting through five and allowing the Braves to go kind of Fuintes DoD Dylan Lee and Iglesias to close the game just kind of a normal, you know, closed the game. That helped a ton And you know, Grant has settled down a little bit over the last probably a few weeks, him and Ronaldo have kind of calmed the waters. You know, it's not the abject disaster that it was when you know, the it was Elder and Perez and Jr. Richie All in the rotation. It just looked like every single time it's not Chris Saale out there, just looked like a disaster waiting to happen. Lopez and Holmes have at least help calm the waters a bit. Now. I don't believe either of those guys is the long term ancer. I still think Holmes works substantially better than the bullpen. You know, tonight he was He was able to take advantage of an offense that was missing some pieces. You know, the Braves kind of got fortunate they missed Connor Griffin in this series. They also missed India Rodriguez, both guys that got put on the IL right before the series started. So but it was you know, the Pirates have been a really good offense this year, and so Grant going in five innings, fifteen outs, that was everything. And it really allowed Walt to use the bullpen the way he wants instead of how he feels like he needs to if a starter gets knocked out in the third inning. So that was the biggest part of the game for me tonight.
Speaker 1: Grant going that definitely was good. But it was also good to see the bullpen. You know, do you know, be their dominant sales. Like even without Robert Sworez, who arguably has been their best reliever this year, you can make that argument for probably two or three relievers, but going Dodd then Whintes, then Lee then Iglesias and having confidence and knowing that you know, Pittsburgh never really put up too much of a threat against that, you know, forsome they were. The Braves were able to get the job done through their pitching, and that was really really good to see. Now to that point, there also was the offense in the fact that it was kind of encouraging to be able to see. And we'll get into the specifics of who did it in just a moment, but the thing that stood out to me is that you mentioned it was kind of like twenty twenty four. Tonight also was a reminder that as bad as the Braves have been playing as of late, they still have the ability to turn it on when they need to, even without Acuna, even without Sworez. You know, some guys are missing right now, some guys are struggling right now. They can still get the job done when they know they absolutely have to, and both the bullpen and the offense were able to do that tonight late in the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean when you give up zero runs, winning is very easy. Everything just looks better when you give up zero runs. You know, I thought, I thought Fwintes looked really good tonight after you know, he hasn't been bad lately, but maybe a couple of shaky outings. He was throwing like a hundred pretty easy tonight. I think he threw the fastest pitch he's ever thrown tonight. If I saw that correctly, Dylan Lee, somebody asked me on Twitter. I meant to go back and give him an answer because it was a good question. Somebody asked me on Twitter tonight, is there a single player that is more trustworthy worthy to you on the Braves right now than Dylan Lee? And like Chris Sale is the is the first answer I always think of. But like Dylan Lee has been absurd from day one. Like I think Dylan Lee's had like maybe one bad outing all year.
Speaker 1: And it was it was the reason it was it was it was the night was it against the Mets, not not the now, it was the series before, it was within the past week.
Speaker 2: I think it was against the Cardinals.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, that's correct. Yes, it was. Yeah, so it was last week, so it was in the past. It was within the past week that him and Iglaci has both had a characteristic blow ups.
Speaker 2: And that was that was literally the only time all year dill Lee has been anything except absurdly good, and tonight he was absurdly good. And he's gotten the braves out of a couple of jams here lately where he's been absurdly good. Like, he's just been unbelievably good. You know, Dylan Dodd has had a really good run lately and has very clearly established himself as the second best lefty in that pen. Remember we spent a lot of the year with like Aaron Bummer as the second best lefty in the bullpen, and you know, I remember talking about it then about why isn't Dylan Dodd? Because Dylan Dodd is just clearly better than Aaron Bummer, And I'm happy for him that he's just very clearly established himself as as one of the you know, easily the second best lefty in the pen. You know, gone are the days, or at least should be gone are the days where he gets option back and forth and he's on the triple A bus. He should just be up and part of the bullpen. He's just established himself as a really good left handed reliever, so you know, it was really nice to see the bullpen just lock one down because they pitched a bunch of those innings when it was still zero zero. They didn't have the lead the whole time, and they still you know, they're still nails. So yeah, it was a really good one tonight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it was just you know, it was just good to see again, you know, the West and no names step up and get the job done. So you know, I'm not I joked that it was a complete team victory, but when you think about it, it kind of was when they needed to early in the game. It was the starting pitching. Late in the game, it was the bullpen. In the offense, every aspect of the team stepped up, and you need more of that obviously to be able to win consistently. But there were two key reasons why the offense did well tonight, and it was the bravest current catching current catching tandem moral than in just a moment, after a word from the wonderful folks at fasten All and our.
Speaker 2: Partners, fasten All Industrial supplies, innovative solutions. Want to learn more? Is it fasten all dot com?
Speaker 4: Hey for the families out there looking for a different path to help your child succeed at home, looking to K twelve powed Schools. K twelve offers tuition free, accredited online public education for students in K through twelve on a setting that works for your family. Todd, Father, you've done the homeschooling thing in the past.
Speaker 1: I know you liked it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did. I liked it a lot. All my kids have done it before. It's an opportunity for them to stay at home and enjoy school just as much. They learn a lot. And this is an opportunity for families that are on the go too as well. They have to understand, Listen, can't be at a regular school at all times. I need my child to be doing this, whether it's an athletic career, whatever stature they are at. And we loved every second of it, and I think it is an easy opportunity for some children.
Speaker 4: See how K twelve powed Schools can help unlock your child's full potential. Enroll today at K twelve dot com. Slash foul. That's the letter K. The number twelve dot com slash foul k twelve dot com slash foul.
Speaker 1: Welcome back again to the Hammer Territory podcast engineered by Fast and All, and let's get into what engineered offense when it was needed tonight for the Braves, and that was their current catching tandem of both Joey Bart as well as Drake Baldwin. And it was good to see the production from both of them for various reasons. But let's start with Joey Bart. You know, basically, Joey Bart was acquired from the Pirates. It's a bit ironic that he gets the big home run in the home ballpark of his former team. But the reason why it was good to see is because Bart, I'm not going to say, is going to be any significant part of this Braves offense at any point this year. His time with the Braves probably is going to be here will be up once Sean Murphy comes back. But I will say that this is the second time that Joey Bart has gotten a big home run in a game where runs bred a premium, in a game where it was low scoring. Go back a couple of weeks ago when he hit the two run homer in a loss to the Padres. One thing that stands out is that Bart did it twice in tonight's game. He hit it to the edge of the wall, you know, when it's first at bat, and then in that seventh inning I believe it was the seventh inning. Yeah, he hit the two run home run to get the job done. And while Bart's overall profile doesn't look that great, one thing that stands out is bat speed. And even though tonight he didn't hit a high velocity ball out of the ballparker to the warning track, he still was able to show his bat speed can make a difference again in the game where runs read at premium and right now, the brains needed all of that that they can get.
Speaker 2: Yeah, listen, he's been you know, he was a former top prospect. He's actually a Georgia tech guy. So a lot of obviously Brays fans know him and still love him.
Speaker 1: And number two draft, right, yeah, three to three.
Speaker 2: Number two, number three, I can't remember, but very high pick. And you know, I definitely thought he would be a starting caliber player. I don't know if that's in his future still. I think he's like twenty nine or thirty. I think he's just kind of established himself as a really good backup catcher. He's kind of a perfect backup catcher, especially when you have a left handed starter the way the Braves do to have a right handed backup. And listen, when Sean Murphy comes back, of course, you know they're gonna have to you know, I was thinking about this today. I actually think the Braves should probably just start running three catchers even when Murphy is healthy, because Murphy has such a long injury history at this point that what you don't want to have happened. And this is kind of what happened to them when they got rid of Jonaheim, is they got rid of Jonaheim when Murphy came back, and then Murphy got hurt again, and then him was already with another team, and then they just went into catcher hell for like a month, and you know, that last bench spot gets used so little. I actually do think the Braves should just start running through catcher, like, even when Murphy comes back, just keep Bart and he's a perfect backup and he can pop a homer. You know, he's dangerous against left He's he's got some real pop in his bat. You know, I don't know what they think of him. Defensively, that would be the question. But they you know, they they traded for him, so they clearly have a decent opinion of him. You know. I've seen him and Chris Saale like having really long conversations in the dugout, like I think they I think they feel okay with him back there. And if you feel okay with him back there, and listen, he's not a great bat, but he's not gonna just He's not gonna be He's not gonna embarrass you. I think he's just a really, really good catcher to keep around. And even if you have to run three catchers, you know, on the off chance that you actually have Baldwin and Murphy healthy at the same time, which feels like it never happens anymore, then that's what you do. Run three catchers and just use that last bench spot as a third catcher. But I what I think the Braves. I think the Braves paid for it when they let Jonaheim go and Murphy got hurt again, and so I'm curious to see if maybe they adjust that strategy knowing that Murphy and Baldlein both have dealt with injuries, and you really do need a really good third one around, And I don't know if Bart's gonna be willing to go down to like triple A. It might just be best to keep him on the roster and just you know, if something happens, you got to you got to back up right there.
Speaker 1: Well, and I also noticed tonight, correct me if I'm wrong, Stephen, it was a right hander that was on the mound.
Speaker 2: And who was not in the Santana?
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, well, no, Jared Jones was on the mound. So they started Bart at catcher I believe they did. Did they start.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they wanted Battle in at DH tonight.
Speaker 1: So who wasn't at DH? Who wasn't Smith?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Tom Smith was not at DH against the right handed hitter, and Dom Smith is is kind of falling off quite a bit, and it stands out that he wouldn't because he was one of the best bats against high velocity that the Braves had put out there. So the point I'm hitting at is is that I know Dom Smith, I know Jorge Mateo, you know Eli White. Some of these you know, binge pieces on one year deals have had their moments this year. But Bart going forward, could be more valuable than some of those guys. Hassan Kilm as well. Hory Matteo's really struggled. He struggled tonight as well. But the point that I had is that not only can you keep that third catcher, but Bart also could be an option to DH against left handers because he's hit left handers pretty good before in his career. So again I'm not expecting. I think the most likely outcome is Bart probably you know, may part ways may stay once Sean Murphy comes back, but I do think that he's a decent mind. And the Braves have had in recent years good success with finding these type of hitters, some you know, post type prospects in their late twenties who haven't really been able to really catch on in their career, and they've been able to find success. So Joey Bart could be someone that could stick around for a little bit and could have more big moments for this team. Another thing that stood out for me was Drake Baldwin, who is heating up a bit here recently. You know, you think that Grand Slam, you know against the Mets, and in that game where the Braves tried to come back some good at bats, a little bit more walking, a little bit more you know, solid contact. But what stood out to me tonight was, yes, he struggled against the HIH velocity, just like all the other Braves did. But even despite the fact that he struck out his first three times, he got a big hit to add insurance late in the game. He looked more like Drake Baldwin and that was awesome to see for this Braves team that needs Drake Baldwin to be his normal self as soon as possible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're still waiting on Drake a little bit. We still haven't seen the guy that we had before the injury. And you know, he's had moments. He had that Grand Slam the other night, He's had a couple of games, we had two hits. You know. The strikeouts have really gone up in this kind of second stint after the injury versus what they were before. I think he's running like a I think he's running like an over a thirty percent strikeout rate since he came back, and a very low walk He's only he's only walked like four times since he'd been back, and it's almost a month worth of a bats. So I think he definitely is rusty, and I I don't know another word for it. He was lot, he was so locked in before he got hurt, and when he's come back, he's just looked very rusty, like he's he's unsure of what win to swing, when not to swing, and those were decisions that he was making at such a high level before. So but it was good. You know that that RBI single I think in the ninth made it went from a two to zero game to a three yer game. Listen, you know Glaciers has had some bumps in the road in the ninth inning the last couple of outings. That extra run was not a small deal to get a three run lead there. You know, I'm not saying it's the reason, uh Glaciers had a nice, easy ninth inning, but I guarantee you as a closer, especially when you've had a couple of outings that didn't go exactly the way you want, that extra run means everything. And you know, I was happy to see it. So, yeah, it was good. You know, it was good, a good time to kind of break out of the slump. He obviously was over three with three strikeouts coming into that plate. Appearance. But yeah, we're still waiting on Drake to kind of come all the way back around. He's had you know, July's been better. June was a bit of a disaster for him. When he came back, July has been better, and we're just kind of waiting on that next level where he goes back to being, you know, one of the best hitters in the lineup, you know, one of the top two or three hitters in the lineup the way he was the first six weeks of the season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, he was so good at being able to hit those balls, to drive those balls that were just below the strike zone, kind of in the middle of the plate before the injury. Looks like he's struggled in those swing approaches since he's been back. If he's getting that confidence back, well watch out now that when I'm talking about, you know, the Braves potentially having one of the better hitting trios in baseball when you've got Akunya back, you've got Baldwin going plus Olsen. This is what I'm meaning. And if we're starting to see Drake kind of refined his form, it couldn't come at a better time, which means that it could benefit you, and yes, that is absolutely correct. You actually could be benefited from Drake Baldwin finding his form, because we're actually going to talk about Drake Baldwin when it comes to discussing our fan duel Daily Dingers, so we talk about it, Stephen. You know, Drake Baldwin being back to his normal self, He's not there yet. It's been good to see that he's maybe rounding in the form, but we're waiting for the power. We've seen plenty of power from Matt Olsen. We've seen the power continue for Michael Harris. But tomorrow, with Mitch Keller on the mound, who's not been that great this year, I'm looking for Drake Baldwin to stand out. He seems like the perfect guy to have a multi homer game in at park like Pittsburgh where you don't see as many splashdowns as you do at Oracle Park in San Francisco. But why not Drake Baldman do a splashdown tomorrow? I think he's a lock for a home run on Thursday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you definitely. It's a kind of a left hander's park. We saw tonight Joey bart could have easily had two homers tonight, but he hit it to left center field, and he actually hit on both the left center field and to hit a ball out as a right hander as a whole different bag of beans in this stadium than a left hander. And you know, you especially with Keller on the mound, I got a right handed pitcher on the mound.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: That's kind of the thing we're waiting on with Baldwin is for the power to come back. The strikeouts have been you know, high as well, a little more contact, but definitely more power. We have seen the offense get back to more of their power hitting ways in July. June was such a disaster. I think they hit like in two games in July, they hit like half as many homers as they hit in all of June. It was just shocking how little power they hit for in the month of June. July has been better, and tonight, you know, there are only two runs of the game came on a homer. So we've you and I have talked about this for years and I've said it. I've lost on how many time I say it. Homers are so incredibly important to long term consistent success, and especially when you get to the postseason because it's very, very hard, with the quality of pitching in Major League Baseball now, to string together four or five hits in an any It doesn't happen very often. Sometimes it does, and it's great, But it is so much easier to have somebody take a four pitch walk or a five pitch walk and then somebody hit a homer. I mean, it's just a very easy way to score two runs. It's the most consistent way to score in the playoffs because the pitching is so good, and this team when they write their best they hit a bunch of homers, and so yes, sign me up for Drake Balder when getting back, you know, a really good opportunity right handed pitcher, a park that is more conducive to left hand home runs, give me a splashdown. I'll take a splash down if he wants to hit it over the bleachers that are out there in the right field. But yeah, that's that is the key for the Braves offensively, is we got to get back to hitting the ball with the fence.
Speaker 1: Yeah. When runs are at a premium, power prevails as a priority. You're welcome the literation, But the point that I'm getting anty is ye welcome, and I segue there. The point that I'm getting at is is that you want to see Baldwin go deep. And it's not just because it benefits the Braves. What if it can benefit you? And that's what we're here to tell you. You can actually do it through Fandle. It's a very simple concept. You basically take a free opportunity to pick the brave you'd think will go deep in that game tomorrow night. We're thinking Drake Baldwin and you could benefit and it's are you Basically, it's just a quick answering the question, are you ready to play your game? Head over to fandel dot com slash podcast to get started. That's Fandel dot com slash podcast to get started and opt into Daily Dingers and make your free pick on who is hitting in Homer Choose Drake, choose Wack Michael, playball and swinger the Fences on Fando, an official partner of Major League Baseball.
Speaker 5: No purchase necessary, opt in required, bonus issue does non withdrawable profit boost Tokens restrictions apply, including anty tooken expiration and max wagerer amount. See terms at sportsbook dot Fandel dot com gambling problem caller tax one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 1: So Stephen again, seeing Drake Baldwin round in the form would be awesome for this Braves offense. And you know, I talked about it last night. You know, one thing that stands out about this Braves offense that has made it so hard for them consistently to produce the level that they need to for us to win frequently is how much they struggled with runners in scoring position, again being among the league's worst with runners in scoring position, both in terms of creating them and converting them. But one other thing that stood out, and it really really was magnified tonight, spotlighted tonight, was the fact that the Braves have really fallen off when it comes to their ability to produce against high velocity. Grew May thirty first of this year. If you go according to Baseball Savon, the Braves had the twelfth best WXOBA that's kind of their overall expected offensive production. They had the twelfth best WXOBA against pitches ninety six miles per hour or higher among Major League Baseball teams. That's Drew May thirty first, and that typically correlates well with Winny. But since June first, they've fallen off and they're now twenty ninth in the majors against high velocity pitches, both in terms of WXOBA but also in terms of expected slugging. They're not they're not hitting high velocity pitches for power, and you saw that tonight with so many at bats look non competitive. So when we talk about how this Braves offense can improve, obviously Ronald A. Coonney Junior is a really good way to improve against high velocity pitches, But we talk about when it comes to maybe adding the hitter at the deadline, you know, do we want a right handed hitter, do we want a left handed hitter? I think a right handed hitter still sticks out, but someone who could produce against high velocity pitches would also really benefit this team. Dom Smith has done that, but he's struggled elsewhere. But I think that if the Braves are looking to add a hitter, it's someone that can produce against high velocity pitches, and that typically means someone who could swing the bat pretty hard.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So you know, we've talked a lot about the Braves adding pitching, and we've also talked a lot about the Braves adding a bat, and I've I mean, I remember talking about this in spring training, how I thought the Braves were one right handed bat short, especially after the Profar news, and I didn't love the idea of platooning Eli White with the Yas because Eli Whit just never really hit left handed pitching all that well in his career. And so all year long, I mean literally since spring training, I've been just kind of watching all of the potential right handed bats that could be available. You never know who's actually gonna sell, but you know the obvious guys, the guys who maybe don't have as much team control left, you know who's play on bad teams, who very easily could be available. And I tweeted about him tonight. The guy that I've just I've watched a ton and it feels like is the most logical as Joe Adell. And you know, he's got two years of team control left twenty six and twenty seven. I guess year and a half now we're halfway through twenty six, but he's got another year of team control after this year. So he's not a rental, so he's gonna cost something, so that matters. The cost matters. The Angels are weird Art Moreno is one of the weirdest owners, maybe the weirdest owner out there. Honestly, no one knows what the hell they're gonna do. No one in the building knows what they're gonna do. They just fired their GM, they hired Saint Louis's old GM. What they should do is tear everything down and sell and start over and rebuild, because that franchise has been a dumpster fire, not even a it's been the juice at the bottom of a dumpster for like the last five, six seven. Pretty much all of Mike Trout's career is how bad the Angels have been. So they should sell Joe Adel and if they do, the Braves need to be at the front of the line because one of the top bat speeds in all of baseball. He I think his average bat speed is like any seven miles an hour, which is crazy fast. I think it's ninety eight percentile in baseball. But he destroys left handed pitching. He's got he's got two more home runs tonight. Actually, as we're recording this, both against left handed pitching. His WRC plus against left handed pitching is like one thirty five this year it's not as good against righty's. He's probably better as a platoon, but he's not he's not gonna kill you against rightys, but he's definitely a lefty masher. And you know, I think this is something that Braves need. And you know, games like tonight where the offense doesn't look great, and let's be honest, the offense has not looked great for I mean, even before the big losing skid they've been on. Like the offense, even going back to like middle or middle of May start, you started seeing signs of the offense slowing down a lot, and then you factor in last year and the year before with the offense all the issues. Like I just I think they need another bat. And I wouldn't I wouldn't had two more bats, to be honest with you, but I think they especially need one, and a guy like Jodell makes a lot of sense to me. And I'm we don't know what the Angels are gonna do, no one knows, but if they sell or at least if they sell Jodell, the Braves need to be at the front of the line.
Speaker 1: You know, I used to talk about it, you know when when when I was you know, doing the uh the daily hammer, you know, over battery power. I used to call it around the trade deadline. We were talking about past years talking to trade deadlines with Chris Willis last night. I used to call it the Frank Wren Special, the ability to go not necessarily take care of all your needs. But if you remember Frank Grinn, you know, towards the latter part of the of the two thousands and early part of the twenty ten's, he would make these combo trades that that again added more depth and really feeling needs. But you know, you remember kind of like the I believe it Zomar and Fonte and and will Owmen from the Cubs and you know, made some agains, smaller deals, but deals that made sense at the time that that really helped the break, you know, address a couple of areas.
Speaker 2: I definitely remember the Omar and Fonte will Owmen.
Speaker 1: Combo trade from the Cups.
Speaker 2: I remember, yeah, like it was yesterday. It was. It was a Sentil day in my life. So yeah, I hope that's good. That's a good call.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the next swig of Milo's that you tried to make, I hope you spell it all over yourself regardless of that.
Speaker 2: Hold on what year. I just want to know what year was.
Speaker 1: That twenty eleven. I did not just look that up on my phone. But the point that I'm getting at is is that if I'm the Brade, I'm talking with the Angels about read Detmers or Jse Soriano with Joeandelle, why not like like like, why not do that? I know that it's going to cost. Like I talked, you know, with the with the radio station out of upstate South Carolina today forgive me, and it's called a fan in upstate South Carolina. Great guys who who I talked to on a decently regular basis. But I talked with them, you know, about what's there in our farm system now what I would be willing to send out. And I think that my two untouchables right now are Eric Cartman and Ditty er fuint Is. The only person that I would send those out for would be your Malvaretz, and that's not happening obviously. But the point that I'm getting at is is that this Brave's farm system is now well equipped enough for you to go make two notable to significant moves and still have pretty decent intriguing farm depth that again you're just gonna add to through the draft. So if I'm the Braves, why not go offer either at cam Caminidio or a takes out that scene as the headliner for that deal, add three or more intriguing prospects and see if you can go get a combo like a Read Detmers in a Joe Adelle. I don't think it's gonna happen, but at least have that conversation because that type of move allows for you to have made in one opportunity, it allows for you to take care of two needs. Now again, you rarely see this because the selling team typically will get more by each individual part separately to get the biggest deal. But why not talk about it? But I agree with you, the Angels are at the top of the list as a team to talk to. Even though Perry and Ia said may seem like he's a detriment to a deal with the Braves. John Moselac may be more willing to trade the notable names. But I would be talking to the Angels and yes, Joe Adell because I think he's the type of profile that the Braves could also unlocked to be more consistent. Not only could he help this year, but he could potentially help in years to come as that secondary outfielder primary DH most days that you're kind of struggling with now that Dom Smith is kind of falling off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it just may It makes a lot of sense. You know, you said it. The combo deal stuff is just tough because teams know anytime you can bind players in the same deal, their values get kind of meshed together and you always get a little bit less than you would if you just split them up and traded them individually. Doesn't mean combo deals don't happen. I would be surprised because well, I mean, let me rephrase, nothing the Angels do would surprise me because the Angels do some of the weirdest things I've ever seen. But if you're trying to maximize the return, the best thing to do is to trade him separately. But yeah, Delle just makes a ton of sense to me, and he's He's made a ton of system me. He made a ton of sys to me in the off season. I think we brought him up multiple times in the off season too. So some guy like Taylor Ward, Yes, if Baltimore, but I think Baltimore lost again tonight. They're about I think there are four or five games out of the wild Card now Baltimore could sell. And then you know a guy like Taylor Ward, who I think is a just a full on rental if I remember correctly, also a former Angel, funny enough, but you know, guys like that. I'm just kind of keeping an eye on. Right handed can play the outfield a little bit at least, can really mash left handed pitching. And you know, I don't think the Braves are necessarily tied to have to get a right hander. To be honest with you, I would love to get a right hander and a left hander. I think the Braves, you know, they don't really have a DH at the moment, to be honest. You know, Dom Smith has been the DH most of the year. You know, they could really use a right handed outfielder and a DH. So you could go get a right handed hitter and a left handed hitter, you know, and we can go. We'll probably do one of the shows we'll do around probably in the next week or so. We'll probably run through a bunch of options, you know, a bunch of potential names. It's tough to do that right now because we don't know who the sellers are gonna be. But as we get onto the other side of the All Star Break, that will become much clearer because you're gonna start hearing reports, especially after we get, excuse me, past the draft, everybody is gonna be focused on trade season and you're gonna start hearing a ton of rumors, a ton of reports. This team has decided to sell, this team has decided to buy, This team is standing pat like. We're gonna get a ton of more information, probably be the first week outside of the Ulster break, and we'll go, we'll do We'll probably do a few shows based on some different names, but jo Adell is a name that has been in my head for a couple of years now, and I think we would make a lot of sense for the Braves.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. I don't necessarily know if they have it in him to add multiple starters plus multiple hitters. They need to do one to the other. Add multiple starters, add multiple hitters, and I think that would do quite a bit of good. You know what else would do quite a bit of good is a bounce back performance from Bryce Elder, who will be on the mound tomorrow. It has been a bit of an extended time from Bryce Elver as in recent starts, you know, we talk about how you know much his ability to miss bats has regressed and how much that's you know, really hurt him in terms of overall production. But the thing that stands out about Bryce Elder is that the Braves need for him to probably go five or six innings tomorrow. You hope he can bounce back. It seems like that the Pirates offense in the current state that it's in is a nice test for him, one that he could find success against. But the one thing that the Braves really can't afford is for a big inning early on like they had on Tuesday. But Braves, as much as it made anger some people to hear, they still need Bryce Elder. It would be great to get Bryce Elder going once again because the one thing he can do is eat innings, give you five to six innings every single night. So it'd be good to see a bounce back performance from him and win a series, going into a really big series against Saint Louis this weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Bryce has a pitch since the twenty seventh, so about ten days ago, so they gave him an extended break and they den'ty l him. They left him on the roster. The Brads have basically been pitching a guy down for the last ten days in order to keep Bryce Elder on the roster so we can make this start, which is not something I'd necessarily agree with, but it is what it is. But yeah, Bryce has been I mean he's given up in his last thirty innings, which spans like seven starts. His last thirty innings, Bryce Elder has given up thirty earned runs, which is is you know, you don't have to be a math major to know that's an er around nine, So you it's been bad. And the number that has stuck out to me the most is in his first fifty four innings of the season, Bryce Elder struck out fifty three hitters. So the first fifty four innings of the season, Bryce Elder struck out fifty three hitters, almost a strikeout per inning, and his last forty five innings he struck out thirty hitters. So the strikeouts have just come way down, kind of back to like where Bryce Eld was before this year, and that's why we were so encouraged about Bryce Elder early in the season, because it wasn't just smoking mirrors with bad at ball data. It wasn't just bad at ball luck. Like he was getting swinging, legitimate swing and miss consistently, and it changed his profile and it changed how real everything seemed. And something happened, you know, a month and a half ago, but the strikeouts just went away, and he's got to get back to missing bats. They desboy need innings. Grant did am a solid by going five tonight. They needed again tomorrow because they don't have any off days until the break, and already they're in a situation where Hersa and Wader was probably gonna have to pitch another game before they get to the All Star break. The bullpen's been used a lot, obviously. They still had to cover four innings tonight, so they can't have like a three inning blow up from Bryce tomorrow. It would also be nice just to win a damn series. I don't remember less. I mean I think was Milwaukee. Was that game against those two games against Mizowski and Harris. That was the last time they won a series, right, So yeah, I just win a series. It'd be lovely to come out tomorrow and score like twelve runs and really not have to worry about what Bryce lever gives you. But yeah, it would be nice to see Bryce at least, I mean, at least just keep it on the tracks for three or four innings and not just get completely, you know, blown off the mound by the third innings. So it's a big game tomorrow and it'd be lovely to win a series for the first time in a while. Here muted, I've made it all the way to the.
Speaker 1: End, man, Man, I just like but the point I'm getting at is is they've done a bit better job despite tonight of scoring early in games. You know, that was another thing from June that stood out. They just never scored early in games. So give me Bryce. An early lead has to help that confidence. It can certainly help get the job done. But hey, we're gonna be here with you through it all. Can't thank you enough for joining us here on this episode of the Day or the Hammer Territory podcast. Uh. Steven Tolbert at b Underscore Outliers. I'm just here from nostalgia after we talked with Chris last night. Steven Tolbert to be Underscore Outliers on Twitter slash x. My name is Sean Comin at Stats sac Hammer Territory across all forms of social media, part of the foul Territory family of podcasts. Till next time listen. Plenty of exciting stuff coming up. Chance to win a series tomorrow, big series against a consistent rival in Saint Louis at Saint Louis, and of course the MLB draft and we'll hear it. We will be here to have it all covered for you until next time. Go braves, We'll talk to you again soon. Here on the Hammorate Territory Park is