Speaker 1: Any swags, Hi.
Speaker 2: Understanding, deep just center field and it's gone Wow.
Speaker 3: His first big league swing is gonna be a grand slam, a home line swing.
Speaker 1: Good time, walk to the show.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to the Call Up, your go to podcast in the future stars in Major League Baseball.
Speaker 1: You got arm Late and Elijah Evans.
Speaker 4: We are talking big league debuts, some notable promotions, and some notable pro debuts as well. Everything from you know, I'm excited to talk Grady Emerson making his pro debut technically if you don't count the Bridge League, but I've been seeing some good video out there from Emerson in the Bridge League running from the ops or running from the ops. Great job, by the way on him covering the Bridge League out there in like Central Florida. But we also have Joshua Bias his debut. Obviously, we've talked a ton about that, but him getting caught up to the big leagues for the Cardinals. What that's gonna look like, Because we've seen both ends of the spectrum already in the early going here and then plenty in between promotions and the Biloxi Shuckers reloaded looking like one of the best teams in the Minor leagues continuously. We've got Jesus made and louis paying you back together again. So a lot of fun headlines here across the minor leagues.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we got we got a good collection here. We got a couple of a number of big, big debuts that have been pretty fun. Obviously a crazy, historic big league debut to kick it off here, and then many others that have been pretty interesting to keep an eye on. Are just recalls. Some guys coming up. Ricky Tiedeman another one that's funny. I'm excited to get to him later because it's a name that we probably haven't mentioned in a long time, but he's made it parents in Toronto and that was cool to see. We'll kick it off with Joshua Bias because I feel like we have to kick it off there and it's only right to do so, because the three homer big league debut was historic, incredible and really one of those moments that makes you realize how nuts baseball is. And that's what you had mentioned to me after that happened, followed by what has been a rough couple games after that. But by this is such a polarizing prospect and obviously someone that you've been marginally lower on than some others, but super talented. Of course, the raw power is incredible and you saw it immediately the first three of that's of his career, but also going to come with his fair share of coldstreak. So where you at with bias? Like, how was that experience? Just watching that and now like, yeah, that was five games into his big league career.
Speaker 1: That was real.
Speaker 4: I mean it was really it was special to do it at regularly. I mean just just they had like thirty family members there. I mean, there's such an easy guy to root for, given the hurdles that he said professionally, I mean we've talked about it to take himself from a guy that I mean looks like he was trending towards being an ORG guy with the struggles and if you looked at what the swing looked like when he was in the lower level is I mean it was really rough, and he was striking out north of thirty percent of the time against lower level competition. And to rework as Swang and to have the success that he's had over the last two seasons, it's just been so amazing and play his way into being a player that the Cardinals are focused on and saying, hey, we can't call him up before X date because we wanted to be rookie eligible next year. Now do I think over the course of a full season next year he's going to be competing for the Rookie of the Year. I would, I lean know, because I just think the approach and the swing is exploitable. But I do think that this is still a player that can be useful at the big league level, and he's not going to be on our top point hundred update. I'm bracing for impact on that next week. We've had, you know, plenty of pushback consistently. It's just because I think he ultimately lands is you know, more of that short platoon guy.
Speaker 1: We've seen a demolish lefties.
Speaker 4: He did three times against Matthew Board when he can get those arms out there and extended.
Speaker 1: I mean that the power is crazy.
Speaker 4: But I think from the hard throwing righties, especially like two seemers running in just anything kind of that can tie him up and stuff.
Speaker 1: At the top. I saw it so frequently this year already too.
Speaker 4: Can really you can really do him in, but you leave it over the heart of the plate, you leave something that he can time up like it's gonna be gone at a really high you know, I would say a high rate compared to even some of the other you know, solid hitters that there are in the game. Like when it comes hitting mistakes, he can be as good as anybody and you can make.
Speaker 1: A career off that. My other concern is that.
Speaker 4: The glove is not as as good as you may think because of how straight line fast he is for a big dude. So I just think it's gonna be difficult to get to like two plus three war and that's what holds him just outside of the top one hundred. But the debut is just a flash of you know, what you can get with a player like Joshua Bise.
Speaker 1: When he's hot.
Speaker 4: I think it's very similar to what we've seen from like Asmarleian Valdez and and again could be a useful player, But I just think that there's gonna be a lot of turbulence. And I do think that he's the kind of guy that when you execute your game plan as a pitcher, you can set him down a little bit more frequently than the average, you know, big leaguehitter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm true Stale the Cardinals run him out too, because, like I know, they're they're not quite in like the contender bucket, but they're still a competitive team and they're still have a shot to try to make the playoffs right now. So do they give him the run to play every day or does it start to become a little bit more of a platoon type of bat. I'm not sure exactly the direction you're gonna go with him, but at the leary least, like he's he's definitely fun to watch and you know, you see those moments where it's like wow, and the debut obviously was incredible, but I am very interested to see kind of how they utilize him for the rest of the season and then going into next year, Like is he on the if he's on the opening day roster, Like is he is he penciled as one of their starting outfielders or is he penciled as a piece, you know, getting platoon at bats more?
Speaker 4: Right, I think it's gonna be pretty consistent run at least for the rest of this year, because like they want to figure that out, and they also want to I think hope that he can progress.
Speaker 1: In some of these ways.
Speaker 4: I just think ultimately he's such a stiff mover in the box and and even some of the pre string moves that it's gonna be really hard for him to cover stuff hard inside and and even at the at the top as well. And then when that speeds you up, you start chasing more and you start waving at those lighters away. But if he's ever gonna be able to work through that, like, you got to give him the opportunity to and he's gonna get a lot of time to do that now against big league pitching. He can go into the off season a guy that's clearly shown that he can make improvements and adjustments. Go into the off season, see if he can clean some of those things up to you know, maybe push that hit tool and the overall swing decisions a little bit higher going into next season where they'll give him runway out of the gate, and you see how how he performs, you know, against those rights and those harder throwing rities. But some bad batted ball luck in the subsequent games. But still, like overall, you have that three for four, three homers performance and then after that you have like a zero for thirteen with I think six k's. So it's like it's gonna be interesting to watch. I think he's going to struggle a little bit, but hopefully he has some of these home run barrages because he's an easy guy to root for, and I mean it was really special to see and like him talk about his father, his late father, and you know, after the debut and just just like wanting to make it to the bigs for you know, with this connection to him, there's so many amazing wrinkles. And I hope he proves me wrong and launches forty next year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, he's got the power to do it. So it's just about making more consistent strides, right. But let's get over to a pitcher, another very you know, fun story and someone else that we've been I think you know a lot of baseball fans that are keeping the prosper wal have probably been excited for the debut of Matt Tugboat Wilkinson. Yeah, gotta be one of the best nicknames in baseball too. Tugboat is just that's that's just hard to beat. But Tugboat obviously goes over from the Giant or from the Guardians org over to the Giants at the deadline this year and ends up, you know, he makes it. He hasn't made his debut yet, but he was called up what yesterday technically after would have been a really good run in Double A this season, had some struggles in Triple A but also pcls and stowing the Giants Org not putting too much stock behind what he was doing in the PCL. But now he gets into the big leagues and it seems like he's set to make his debut, probably in the next couple of days.
Speaker 4: I think, Yeah, I think it might line up where he makes it against Cleveland, which would be nuts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it looks like I don't think he's scheduled for a start yet technically, or he's not like on the official like scheduled starters profile, but I think it seems like it would be very likely tomorrow. Potentially they have a TVD there for the first Sanrancis against Cleveland, so that'd be kind of cool against his old team.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's great timing there, you know, of course included in that Patrick Bailey deal.
Speaker 1: You know, he's an interesting arm.
Speaker 4: I will endlessly root for this guy because he's just so much fun, and I have some cards that I'll just never sell. But he it's ninety miles an hour, man, but it's kind of this invisible, this upshoot delivery. He gets down the mound like, you know, this is a six to one, two hundred and fifty pound guy, but he's an athlete up there, man.
Speaker 1: Like he drives, he works down the mound.
Speaker 4: He creates a slight crossfire and it's it's a sub five foot release, like it's a four point nine foot release.
Speaker 1: So it's this low release.
Speaker 4: Kind of upshoot run and ride that I think creates some deception. It gets above average extension, which only helps. And it's ninety miles an hour. So here's the thing with the deceptive lefties. And it either works or it doesn't in the big leagues.
Speaker 1: And I know like that it's just is what it is.
Speaker 4: I can't I can't face them one hundred times to tell you if it's gonna work or not.
Speaker 1: We're gonna find out.
Speaker 4: There's been so many guys through the years that you know, I look at the stuff, I see them in the mino. He's like, go, oh man, there's no way that's gonna work in the big leagues.
Speaker 1: And it does.
Speaker 4: And then there's been guys where it's like, I actually like this. I think this could work. You know, he misses enough bats and then he just misses no bats in the big leagus, so it's it's tough. I think the big thing with Tugboat is gonna be the secondaries because even if you have an invisible like if guys know that that fastball is common sixty percent of the time, which is what the usage is for Tugboat right now, they're going to get to it. So it's going to be interesting to see his feel for the secondary is like the change up field just really hasn't been there for him since he's been getting used to the you know, the big league ball on triple A. But the slider and cutter have been effective. Can he have a good enough feel for those pitches. That's gonna be the big thing, because again I think the upshoot weird fastball from from the way he delivers too, like he hides the ball really well.
Speaker 1: I think it's gonna work well enough.
Speaker 4: But is there enough complimenting it to be able to turn lineups over.
Speaker 1: I'm just not sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's you know, it's a fun story. It's definitely, hopefully at the very least if he can be a swing man, maybe there's some value there, Right, there's something there, but it's like, you know, the upside is definitely probably limited. Right, It's not a profile you're looking at and saying, oh, this guy's going to be a rotations, you know, stable guy for ten years to come. Either way, Like he's just the fun pitcher. Is a unique pitcher too, which is interesting, and for San Francisco, like they're out of it, Like, see what you got here and let him get some run hopefully, And whether it's as a starter, it seems like could be like a bulk relief guy or potentially starting fully. So either way, honestly, like there's no reason for the Giants not to give him run here for the next six weeks to see how it goes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he's a good depth arm I think regardless, Like if he's an up and down guy for you, like that's you need those guys through the course of a season. You can go in there and compete and you know, give you four or five innings. But again, if he can find a feel for that change up off of that fastball, then all of a sudden, I think it becomes a little bit more interesting, but yeah, I mean it still looks like good depth and fun, easy player to root for.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a really really good story. We're just all these feel good stories here off the top here today. In terms of big league debuts, Ricky Titamid made his debut, and I feel like we did not hear about it adequately because people like, this was a guy we were talking about as one of the best pitching prospects in baseball only a couple of years ago. Right has dealt with a really brutal injury track record. Obviously, TJ to All twenty twenty five, he went seven hundred over seven hundred days without pitching in a full official game. Between his surgeries the comeback, he threw what, like I think, seventeen no so far, he threw seven innings in the minors this year between the complex, he threw two outings in the complex, two outings in Single A, and then three outings of one inning each in Triple A. And then he comes up to Toronto to make a bullpen spot. He ends up getting optioned right after it. But like I actually thought, titaman in this bullpen roll looked pretty good. He topped over ninety seven and gave the Blue Jays an inning in two thirds of work, and I'm curious to see how if he get when he gets back up, because yeah, at this point it's probably a reliever given the injury history, but he could be a really good reliever for Toronto.
Speaker 4: Yeah, especially because you know that fastball the viilo is still there in short spurts like we saw, like you mentioned it, topping out at ninety eight and sitting ninety six plus. And then from that angle, we've seen that three pitch mix that in his breakout season that made him one of the best pitching prospects in baseball. The fastball, slider, changed combination is really good. And I think what's fun for him is like the fastball slider, like that's gonna make him from that angle, is gonna make him a nightmare left on left matchup. But this is not a guy that, like, you know, when when they counter on the other side with a righty pinch hitter that you're like, oh no, you know now, now it's a disadvantage on our end. Like he's got the change up to equalize that too. And he's always been a guy that's had really steady platoons, but when he's been healthy. It's been a ridiculous history, as you mentioned, like so many different ailments on the way to then having the TJ. And I was a little bit I held out some hope that okay, maybe it was all things trying to put off the TJ. Now he got the TJ, he'll come back healthy. And then since coming back from the TJ, it was like a neck thing and what there's you can't even keep track. And so I really feel for Ricky and I just think the most realistic path is for him to be a reliever guy that they have on the forty. Anyways, like might as well have to make his debut. I think that was awesome and like the American League's wide open still somehow, so he's a guy can help you in the bullpen.
Speaker 1: But I think when.
Speaker 4: You can see what you've got this year and go in to next year and say, well, hey, we've got like a leverage lefty, and maybe down the line you revisit, you know, if he can prove that he can stay healthy and stay on the field for a whole year, maybe you can revisit stretching him back out. But I think priority here is just fill a big league role, and he's shown us that he can.
Speaker 3: The craziest part is that he just turned twenty four, Like today actually happened with Arika Tineman Today's twenty fourth birthday. I mean, that's the great Like you talk about a guy that had so much of this hype. He was a nineteen year old with a two to one ar that made it to double A. I mean, this was the talent was like it was up here. It wasn't just the guy we were looking at. It's like he could be good. We were looking at this guy as one of the best pitching prospects in all of made the due baseball, and then he goes through all these different ailments. He still just turned twenty four and made his big league debut at twenty three years old. So yes, he is a reliever for right now, and he probably is a reliever for the rest of his career. Maybe you revisit a couple of years like you mentioned, but in the time being, like, this is an extremely talented guy who could be a high leverage lefty at the very least right now in terms of what he's doing. And like, I mean, it was a forty four percent strikeout rate as a twenty year old in twenty twenty three, before the before more the injury started to set in, and then the last three years have just been a mess. But like forty four percent strikeout rate at twenty years old in double it, I mean, come.
Speaker 1: On, I really I agree. I just I really hope he stays healthy.
Speaker 4: And yeah, this Blue Jays team, like they've got some some fun pieces and yeah, he's yet another one that again when you can go into the next season just just knowing you've got another young, you know, nasty lefty to add to the fold. There he's another player than man. Like, I'm just I'm rooting for it because you don't want to there's nothing worse than the what could have been with these pitching prospects.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's sneaky. The Blue Jays are a team that I still I still kind of think they might make the playoffs. Honestly, I don't know. Maybe that's a little too bullish, I mean, but like, no, there's no, there's no say the American League books and like considering they're a World Series, I mean, American Leagu's a mess obviously and giving out good this team was last year, Like I mean if literally, just if, like if Laddie turns the corner, that team could easily be a playoff wildcard, Like I could see it happening, Like I don't even think it's that crazy.
Speaker 4: Like none of them, none of them want to make the playoffs in the American League anyway. So like you, there's no two bullish on any of these teams. For me, I think I'll believe anything. One other note too, though, like just just it makes this interesting, Like they've used Mason flu Hardy Aton and like Stinky, he's only twenty five, but with the struggles from Bred and little like, they don't really have a lefty reliever. So not only can he help this year, can help? Yeah, it'd be a big piece for them next year team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no doubt. Let's take a quick break and then we'll get back into a couple more big league call ups and then some minor league call ups promotion. Jumping right back in here, we've got big league call ups, minor league promotions here on this episode of the call Up. Next one up is Zach Vine and this is a recall, not a debut, but it still qualifies for the sake of this because Zach Vine was lighting the ball on firing triple A and it was just like we've just been saying, like when when is he gonna get back to Colorado. So obviously the Rockies are not a contending team, and he struggled a lot in his brief big league stint last year, but really hasn't gotten significant big league run at twenty four years old. Now Zach Vine is getting a chance. He's five games in, He's got a pretty fun first few games here with a pair of homers so far, and he looks like he's gonna get you know, I ever ready reps down the stretcher for Colorado.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, a lot was made of like the physical transformation and obviously mental and I think that's been the biggest part for Zach Viene. But you know, I think some people didn't know what to make like And there's some kind of funny numbers thrown around when Vian showed up, you know, about how much like strength he added or whatever it may be.
Speaker 1: But I think what's abundantly clear is that this guy's added.
Speaker 4: He's hitting the ball harder, and I think just getting into better shape, getting healthier in general has allowed him to do that. Whether you believe he put on X amount of muscle or whatever it may have been. He's just healthier and he's he's impacting the baseball where he's more explosive. He's more like that athlete that we saw drafted in twenty twenty and taking better care of his body and all those things translate to better evs. But I mean, this was a guy that I think, even when you saw the really impressive minoigue season, that made him one of the you know, better prospects out young outfield prospects in baseball before things started to kind of derail a little bit. You go, you would go beneath the hood and the evs weren't quite what you thought.
Speaker 1: And that was a little bit surprising to me.
Speaker 4: I remember even at the time because you see the long levers, he looks like a guy that's hitting the ball harder than you think. And it wasn't really until this season where we started to see zach Vien pop the one ten pluses more consistently, and I think that really helps the profile because he's not going to be a.
Speaker 1: Guy that is going to hit for a ton of average.
Speaker 4: I think he's done a good job of improving you know, the plate discipline and walking a little bit more. But he's never really historically been you know, an OBP machine either.
Speaker 1: So when when you look at just the ability to.
Speaker 4: Add this raw impact and you know that he can he can elevate pretty consistently with the way his swing is is kind of geared, I think it's it's exciting and it makes it a lot more easy to envision you know, a potential big league bulk platoon piece here for you know, I think what is another really good story with the adversity that he's had to overcome, like how candid he was about you know, some of the substance issues he had and all the different things to be up there in the big leagues now and I mean putting balls in McCovey cove Like, Yeah, I think it's gonna be hard for him to accumulate war relatives to some other guys because he's not the best defender in the world. But I do think he's improved even in that regard and he's gonna with But this could be a solid bulk platoon bat that now is really getting into some power.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Rockets League, there's some guys there that are worth watching, at least the offensive side, Like there's a there's some decent pieces in place, and you know, we're not too far away from I think Charlie Condon is well joining potentially with Zach Vien. So I think it means a bulk platoon guy in Coors and the added power plays up and he's able to give you, like, you know, fifteen homer type fifteen to twenty homer production as a bulk platoon guy cours. You feel pretty good about that. And you've seen the power his first two games he went deep and then he's had a couple. He's got hits in four of his five so far since getting up there, and I think he's gonna stick him. And he seems like he plays a solid corner outfield as well, in which case you're good there. You know he's a piece, He's at least a piece in Colorado and deserves the chance to play the rest of this season and going into next year.
Speaker 4: One hundred percent, I think, just to contextualize how much harder he's hitting the ball now too, since twenty twenty four. The start of the twenty twenty four season, Vean's twelve hardest exit velocities or twelve highest exivelocities are.
Speaker 1: All from this season.
Speaker 4: Not only does he have his MAX this year, he has his twelve maxes this year, And so that's that's a transformed, you know, hitter physically, and I just included twenty twenty three as well. That ain't helping his case is to be expected. So you can go all the way back, I'd say probably from his pro career. This is his entire pro career. His twelve highest evs are all this season. He's physically different, and I think that's a great sign for Van who you know again, could it's always always gonna be power over hit, so might as well add more power.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, Speaking of teams in the American League that kind of want to win but maybe don't, the Astros are scrapping together pitching, They're they're doing what they can. They've had a couple guys coming up. Ethan Peko is set to make his debut tomorrow on Wednesday the nineteenth, as we speak here and then Miguel Yolo is an interesting one who's transitioned from starting into primarily relieving now got recalled. He's made a couple like spot appearances for them this year, but both those guys now joining Houston down the stretcher as they continue to just kind of put in different arms than stockpile as they can and make it work. And they're winning a division right now somehow, which is crazy because it didn't seem like earlier in the year they had any shot too. But they're they're in the lead in the aos and they're they're making a good run at it, and they add two young pitchers to the mix. Not sure how much these guys factor in, but I am curious what you think about if these two can at least be a piece to making the pitching war in Houston.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean all hands on deck, right, and I think at least in this instance, like these are a couple of guys that do have the goods to help them. Peco Is is really progressed nicely. The Astros, like their system is always towards the bottom, at least over the last handful of years, but they have had some some intriguing arms, especially the last year or so.
Speaker 1: We talked about Meyer as well, what he's been able to do.
Speaker 4: But you know, you throw the surface of era kind of out the window when we're talking about the pcl and that's where Peco has been thrown. But he's a guy that does a good feel to pitch and it's a pretty deceptive delivery. It's kind of a flat approach angle, below average release height, and he.
Speaker 1: Gets pretty far out there horizontally.
Speaker 4: So I am interested to see, like if that, even though he's not a huge strikeout guy, if that kind of correlates to him.
Speaker 1: Being a barrel misser.
Speaker 4: There's also a lot of different pitches that he will go to, Like he's got from that kind of more horizontal release, the four seamer, a sink or a change up, a cut or a slider, and a curveball, and so he could just kind of change his looks. He's got a pretty good feel for all these pitches, and I could see Pecko being a decent swingman and potentially a back end the rotation starter that can kind of spot start for you. Again, the swing and miss hasn't totally been there as he's just for whatever reason this season, but I still think he's been effective enough. And you know, where the Astros can kind of take whatever endings they can get.
Speaker 1: I think he can give them decent innings. The really interesting one.
Speaker 4: Is MIGUELI Yola, because I mean it's one of my favorite it's been one of my favorite fastballs. He just sprays it, though, but it's crazy run and ride. He really stays behind the baseball. And it's one where like when he's commanding it, he can throw the fastball seventy percent of the time and you'll be in trouble just because of the life that it features. I mean, it's like twenty inches avert from a below average release side.
Speaker 1: He's getting an elite, elite carry and he works down the mound really well.
Speaker 4: It's just it's really hard for him to uh to consistently land and I said run and ride, it's more of like just just threw ride behind the baseball.
Speaker 1: But that's the one where, like I think he has a leverage stuff Withola.
Speaker 4: It's just he's got to throw strikes and I just don't know if he he will consistently enough. But again, the life that his fastball has gives him a really strong foundation, and then he's got a cutter, slider, curveball off of that.
Speaker 1: It's just he doesn't go to those with a ton of confidence.
Speaker 4: And the walk rate seems to always kind of creep up there for him, though it's been a little bit better this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm trying to figure out what the usage exactly will be for Uston down the stretch, and like how they're going to deploy things. It looks like, I mean, if Pecko's sliding into the rotation, obviously Hunter Brown, Christian Javier Peter Lambert hate him, was nesky, and then Peco right now is in that five spot, and then the pen I mean, Tsuyama is still question mark, right, I think it seems a little unclear what's gonna happen with his plan going forward. And then you've got a Yola like other than Josh Ader and obviously Brian Brado, I know he hasn't in the best year, but still, like, well, Yola seems like a guy who could, again if he threw strikes, could quickly rise into a pretty decent leverage situation. He's not closing games for them, but like it seems like someone who could make his way into some pretty big spots for them in September and potentially October.
Speaker 1: Even if he's hot.
Speaker 4: Like yeah, I mean, the fastball has a thirty three percent with rate, the slider has a forty five percent with rate, and and you know, just it's really hard to separate the two out of his hand. And then even even the cutter as a bridge is effective, so he could overwhelm hitters. I mean, the average EGX velocity against his fastball's eighty four moss per hour with a seventeen percent hard hit rate. So when you're a verty fastball guy that no one's even ever barrowing, really that bodes really well. It's just can you can you throw enough strikes? And they've kind of used a Yola in this swingman role, so you wonder like if it's single ending relief and maybe he'll be a little bit more you.
Speaker 1: Know, within the zone.
Speaker 4: But this is a ride the hot hand thing, and if he's throwing more strikes and it has a stretch of throwing a lot of strikes, he could be very useful for this Astros bullpen.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, and two of his outings, like he had these two like two outing spurts where he was really good, and then his last outing in the bigs in July he struggled more. But like I do think they'll let him let it rip potentially and then see how it fits into that pen mix and then you go from there and Pecko, like like you said, if he can just be a decent back end guy who can stick around and give you innings like that, that's more than they've gotten from some of their other pitchers this year. So I think you feel great about that if he can even just hold down the five spot the rest of the season potentially well.
Speaker 4: And Peter Lambert he's a better version of it, obviously, but no one knew that coming in. Peter Lambert's kind of a similar archetype to Peco or it's just nothing jumps off the page, but it's you know, a ton of different offerings that you know, move in different directions, and he when he's executing like he's really tough.
Speaker 1: And Lambert's turned into a phenomenal season.
Speaker 4: So maybe kind of following a similar blueprint and Pecko can maybe outperform maybe some of the surface level expectations.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: One last big league call up to discuss here, and that is Brett Callahan of the Detroit Tigers organization. I can't say I know much about Brett Callahan. I don't because thirteenth round pick I had a Saint Joseph's back in twenty twenty three by the Tigers. I just watched him come through with a clutchet against the White Sox this weekend and then followed it with a nice RBI knock against the Pirates as well, two games in. It seems like he couldn't be a little bit of just a you know, versatile outfielder added to the mix in Detroit. I don't know how much run he's gonna get. Honestly, we'll see if he's you know, a everyday player for them. With the Riley Green injury, with other things they've been going through on that roster. Seems like he's there to fill a role and had two nice starts to his career. So curious to see how much Brett Callahan continues to factor into the mix for Detroit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, this is the one thing that you got to give Scott Harris and just kind of the Tigers. It's like even the lesser prospects that you're not very aware of like end up either just popping up and helping you or like serving a forty man role.
Speaker 1: And like we'll see if if Callahan ultimately does that.
Speaker 4: But it's a guy that was not really being paid attention to a ton going into this year. Put up a pretty good year as a twenty three year old, and Hi a last year was banged up and then just puts up a great season in Double A, plays his way up to Triple A and he was only up there for thirty six games, but you know, held his own and they had a new heat, and Callahan comes up and has.
Speaker 1: Filled in with some comfort. You think about Valencia in order.
Speaker 4: Valencia like that was a guy that I kind of was confused as to why he was added to the Tigers forty man and protected from the rule five when he was, and he's been a huge, you know, contributor for them of late. So these guys that they you know, and you wonder what Max Anderson's ultimately en end up being and probably a nice little.
Speaker 1: Role player for them and how you lean whatever it may be.
Speaker 4: So there just seems to be a lot of those kind of afterthought prospects, some more than others that end up coming up and filling a role and developing nicely. And Callahan's got giving you speed uptick in power this year. I don't know where he ultimately, you know, lands he might be more of like a second division regular type or or or more depth. But the fact that he has a chance to be that is a guy that wasn't really in you know, the top prospect list or anything like that this year is exciting and ultimately, you know, you look at the left handed swing, it's kind of fun and easy to get excited about. I think is that he controls his zone really well, like eighty eight percent zone contact right this season, and you know, he could be a fine piece for them with decent bat speed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not sure that Tigers fans were expecting a starting outfield of Brett Callahan, Next Clark and Zach McKinstry at this time of year, but you know, you roll with what you've got. It's been an interesting year and they're they're still in the mix. Speaking of Ale teams, like, I know, the White Sox swept them this weekend, but even then, I even as a White Sox person who follows it carefully, I'm not counting the Tigers out by any means. I do the This team is still has the talent and if they really got in a role they would they could.
Speaker 1: Still have a shot.
Speaker 3: And Callahan sometimes you need a little infusion of some life and see what this guy gives you. And he's doing a fine job. And I think he's going to keep getting some reps out there, at least with the current roster construction to have.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I mean he's always shown too like you can compete. So when you have healthy guys back healthy whatever, and just if guys go back down again, like you've got an updown guy that can you know, go out there and fill a role.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's get into some minor league guys, and we'll start it off with Ethan Salas Ethan Sallas. They were a little bit delayed on this one. We didn't get to this one whenever he actually did get promoted to Triple A, which was I think two weeks ago. Maybe he was right in there on the deadline that probably caught our attention primarily, But Ethan Sallas gets promoted from double to triple and in his first fourteen games at the Triple A level as a twenty year old catcher, by the way, one sixty nine WRC plus. He's hitting three seventy seven since getting promoted to the Triple A level, three homers, the walk grates higher in the strikeout rate. He has taken his you know, pretty solid season in Double A and is looking even better in Triple A. And there's a chance we see a twenty year old catcher debut in the big leagues this year, which would be were he crazy.
Speaker 4: Nothing would surprise me at this point, especially with just the way Prowler is and you know, especially if someone goes down, I think it.
Speaker 1: Becomes a no brainer at that point.
Speaker 4: But I am interested to see how they navigate the catching position because you know, camp Pisano has been amazing offensively for me and is you know, I guess does a decent job defensively and bring some other things to the table. But yeah, you never know, especially if one of them goes down, because I do think, like, you know, Salas is going to defend. You know, he's way ahead of his years in terms of the way he goes about his business. And like, if you haven't listened to the interview that we had with him, you know during the Futures game, go check that out. There's a reason why the padres on top of a J. Preller being the most impatient executive in baseball. The bigger reason why that they've pushed Salas like this because he's built to be able to do it mentally, and now you're seeing you know, physically, he's got a ninety percent zone contact rate this year and eighty six percent overall contact rate.
Speaker 1: So, like, the big thing with with Salas has.
Speaker 4: Been the uptick and power and what we've seen this season, and maybe if he gets up, you know, to the big leagues at the end of this year, like the early next year, that power may not shine through immediately, but he's going to defend. He's not going to chase much, and he's going to put bad on ball. And so if you've got a guy that's giving you good abs, whether that turns into super high level production or you know, just competitive abs that I think give him a floor of at least slightly below average production and the defense that he brings to the table. There is a player that even if the final stages of his development are being had and in the big leagues, I still think he's going to be a net positive player behind the dish. So that's where I get really excited about Salas. His floor is as high as anybody's in the minor leagues, especially now that he's running a freaking eighty six percent contact rate as a nineteen slash twenty year old at the upper levels this year and now you throw him in the PCL, like the numbers are just going to continue to be ridiculous. He's he's at the point now where it's just like the final checkpoints just going to be the big leaks and maybe getting into the power slightly more consistently. But we've seen the raw power increase its on, we've seen the home run output increase this year, and and you know it's it's easy to buy into the potential that he has.
Speaker 1: Impact wise, Yeah, and.
Speaker 3: Look, I get it. Luis Ko Pisano has been solid and good, not even solid, he's been very very solid, very good for the last two months. When's the lesson the Padres had like a starting catcher that like got you really excited.
Speaker 1: About yeah, and on like both sides of the ball, on.
Speaker 3: Both sides of the ball, like an overall, like the Padres have a good starting catcher. It's been it's been a bit. It's been a bit. So That's where I'm like, with solid, like it's easy to get excited and I obviously you hope they don't rush him, and you hope it's not like too early. At the same time, though, like he is no doubt going to be the most exciting Padres starting catcher in quite some time, which gives reason to like, if they're making a playoff postion, they look like they're gonna be in the postseason, Like it really wouldn't shock me as much as it sounds crazy in theory. It'd be like, oh, he's twenty thirty games into his triple A career and he's going to be on a playoff team starting behind the plane at twenty years old. Like it's a little crazy, but like he's very he's a mature guy, as you mentioned earlier, Like he was very clear when you were talking to him in the futures game, like the guy is above is ahead of his years mentally and physically. Of course obviously physically, but also just from the mental side of the game and understanding catching, being able to work with pitchers, Like I do think there's a real shot that he gets up and either way though he's on a crash course for being a big league you know, regular next season and as a twenty one year old.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's and he's even said like he feels like he could be better in the catch and throat apartment, Like he could be more accurate this season, and he's thrown out twenty four percent of base dealers.
Speaker 1: So like.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be in fun to see how they handle him.
Speaker 4: And the fact, I mean, the PCL is just going to be a cakewalk, I think with how much contact he already makes and the fact he's walking more than he strikes out through fourteen games and hitting three seventy seven backs.
Speaker 2: That up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's take one more quick break and then we'll get into our last few promotions. We got a few more promotions here to talk about on the call up. We'll start with a pair of brewers. You mentioned it off the top of the BLOXI Shuckers, just to keep on replenishing that team. Whenever someone goes up to Triple A, they get more talent coming up the system. Two big time guys now heading to Double A in the Lease Pena and Brailing Pain. Both these guys have had really impressive seasons at the high level. They've been mashing dark the year. Paanya obviously has dealt with some physical stuff, some health issues this season, so hasn't had a full Seasonly about fifty games so far from Pena, whereas pain has really started to put together his power upside as twenty three homers so far at the high level this year. Both these guys heading to Double A. Now Paine is still nineteen years old, Pain is just turned twenty years old, So basically a pair of teenagers now for the Brewers heading up to that Double A team joining Hays, Suspinet and other guys up there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is fun.
Speaker 4: I mean Painia and and just back together is so much fun. But I think the challenge for both of these players because Pinia look back to ball wise, he's got it right and we've seen the contact skills, but you know he's aggressive. I want to see him slug a little bit more too, because he's got the bat speed, but he gets a little armsy with his swing and I think it can make it hard sometimes to airpole and he can kind of catch stuff deeper and it's a lot of more more hard ground balls and shooting stuff the other way.
Speaker 1: So that's something I do want to see get better.
Speaker 4: But I think for Pania, like this is a challenge in the respect that like, hey, he chases like thirty five percent of the time that could exploit it a little bit more in double A.
Speaker 1: Which is a good thing.
Speaker 4: The Brewers want their prospects, like especially guys like this, to struggle a little bit so that they can, you know, make the adjustments going into next season. And I do think that both of these guys, yeah, I look, I would never I wouldn't be surprised if they keep rolling. But if I had to guess, I think both of them are going to struggle a little bit in double A. That's a good thing, and then they'll be ready to go for next season. You mentioned how young both are. Painia probably more likely to just keep swinging it. It wouldn't surprise me Pain. It's just other worldly tools and upside and the fact that this guy's you know, hit the ball as hard as he has this year, with the speed that he.
Speaker 1: Brings to the table.
Speaker 4: I mean, we've seen homers north of one fifteen from Brayln Pain, but it's kind of a swatty swing and he tends to step in the bucket and pull off and I think it really affects him left on left, and I think this is something that the Brewers are aware will probably need to be like cleaned up and rectified.
Speaker 1: But how do you do that before he struggles?
Speaker 4: Like, how do you tell Brayln Pain to some a justice swing when he's popping one fifteen's pool side and he's a nine to thirty two ops with twenty three bombs, Like, it's.
Speaker 1: Going to be hard to do that. And I will say, like, it's off to a good starting double A.
Speaker 4: He's played two games so far and he's already tripled and you know, so maybe he doesn't hit that adversity this year, who knows.
Speaker 1: At the end of this year.
Speaker 4: I think ultimately he's gonna need to, you know, kind of improve his direction a little bit more. But the fact that he's already taken the big step Pain has this year and using the ground better, like using his base overall better, I think the next tweak will probably come in the spring and in the offseason, and that's where you'll start to see. Yeah, I think just a little bit more contact because with Pain, that's kind of the final piece here to sixty five percent contact, right, like that's gonna be it's a little bit too low obviously, even for a player with his power. So just kind of finding a little bit more barrel depth, being able to I think have just a cleaner path and also not leave the ball with the front side will help. And then ending with painia, there's just some simple things to not simple, but some small things to clean up as well. And I think you feel like double A is typically the test for that, when you have some mechanical inefficiencies, that's usually where they'll get exposed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for both these guys, it feels like a scenario where like they're going to be there the year. They'll probably start there right again next year, but they'll they'll see kind of what this looks like over the next month, right, you get this final month of the season in double and then you can kind of identify the areas that they'll need to go in the off season. Working on go off of their pain is just fascinating because, like you said, there's there's clearly some things you've noted with like his just his swing is operation maximizing, but like the pure raw speed and raw power combo is like is up there with like almost any prospect in baseball really. I mean, you look at a guy with he's over twenty homers and twenty bags this year, it's probably you know, you could argue it's sixty grade plus of both raw and and speed as well, like I think it's it might be higher than that.
Speaker 4: Honestly, it might be dual seventies man's fifteen.
Speaker 3: So that's where it just gets enticing. And that's the type of guy that I'm willing to like get a little fired up about it and get excited about because I just I think there's still there's when you can point like this is an area where like he needs to get better with overall contact and the efficiency of a swing, but he's already popping one fifteens and running the way he runs, and also playing like a primary he's playing primary center field right as well, so it's like he's playing centerfield every day. Hasn't played a single game right in anywhere other than center this year. So that that all of those tools and ingredients gets you another really high upside prospect. I know, he's like kind of on the border your top one hundred, I think when you're working through this list right now, which will be interesting, but he's still from an upside standpoint, is pretty enticing, even though he's buried behind some other guys in that system.
Speaker 4: Well, you know what's funny is, you know, you look at you list all of those things out with Brown Pain strengths, weaknesses, you know what he ultimately like could look like. And they've got basically that at the big league level. Like the template's there Garrett Mitchell, and he's got a lot a lot of time to you know, be better than Garrett Mitchell, right, Like, and he already airpoles better than Garrett Mitchell. But Garrett Mitchell's kind of the archetype there, right, I mean, like he's gonna whif as much as anybody in the game, but he absolutely flies. We're talking about ninety eight percent house sprint speed and he hits the shit out of the ball like it's it's ninety two point five mile per hour average ECX of all and average batspeed in the ninety eighth percentile. So it's a very similar archetype and a guy that can go get it defensively, which I think Pain is going to continue to develop to be a good center fielder. So it's interesting, like I think you have that archetype up there at the big league level with more time to try to squeeze out a higher ceiling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's an exciting guy for sure. Talk about another exciting guy from an upside standpoint. Justin Gonzales of the Red Sox organization is heading up to Double A. We just heard about this, I think yesterday or two days ago. He hasn't debuted yet in double but I think he should be debuting there as we're recording your Tuesday afternoon. It should be tonight his Double A debut. Gonzalez has had a great season at the high level. Is still a nineteen year old who I know is also set to be a top one hunder guy I believe in the Boston organ someone who they you know, they bought at the deadline, but they didn't move Gonzales and he's sticking around and now he's getting a Double A at nineteen years old.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is another one where I'm really excited for the test because you know, he hits the living crap out of the baseball big kid six, five to ten. But when you look at Justin Gonzalez's swing, you would assume that the strikeout rate would be.
Speaker 1: Higher, and it's not.
Speaker 4: And I think that's a testament to his feel for the barrel and you know, just simple moves overall.
Speaker 1: In the box. But I do wonder.
Speaker 4: If that could get exploited a little bit more against stronger competition, And similar to the conversation with like with Joshua Bayaz, where I think you could you can kind of tie him up inside. I'm just interested to see because I think, you know, double A pitchers will start to do that a little bit more frequently and then can that set stuff up away. But Gonzalez says, again, a pretty good feel for the barrel for a guy as big as he is, and he absolutely pulverizes baseball. So we've seen him hip post one sixteen at nineteen years old, so I think there's like some simple changes for him too, Like I think just getting the barrel more vertically, more vertical for him and his hands not maybe so far away from his body could kind of help him be a bit more efficient and turn things around on the inner part of the plate. But again, another player that hasn't really seen a ton of adversity, and probably he's not going to make a major change until he does. The biggest thing I can't escape when I watch him, though, is it looks like you can really tie him up. So if that's something that he can you know fend off that's obviously going to help his case aton because there's no questioning the raw power, and for a guy with his raw power, there seems to be a pretty good overall field to make contact.
Speaker 3: Yeah, do you what are some of the things, like do you have tangible things? Because I think that is it's not an uncommon thing for especially powerful young guys to get tied up inside, right. Is there is there one or two things you mentioned the barrel? Obviously? Is there other things you think that he could do like him just players in general tous and kind of counteract that little like getting stuck in the inside pitches.
Speaker 4: It's it's funny, I think I think it's case by case. I think in Gonzales's case it still just is a pretty armsy swing. And I think the armsier you get, like, the harder it is to be able to turn that pitch around on the inner half. And you know, these longer levered guys to just naturally it's gonna be a challenge. He's six' five with he might be taller than that. NOW i think he's closer to six seven with.
Speaker 1: With long long.
Speaker 4: Limbs if you're not super super efficient and your arms are a lot more.
Speaker 1: Involved like think about Like Aaron.
Speaker 4: Judge he's so tight to his body and and really just turns the barrow so efficiently and effectively that allows him to just kind of crush stuff. Inside when you're a little bit more armsy or even just like kind of handsy, too with.
Speaker 1: That long of, levers, uh it.
Speaker 4: Might help you make a little bit more, contact you, know and stuff away and be a little bit more. Adjustable but AND i think he's able to kind of fence some stuff off, inside BUT i think it's hard for him to to avoid being tied up in, there and So i'm interested to see it might just be a challenge he has to to deal. With BUT i always get worried about those guys getting sped up a little bit.
Speaker 1: More And gonzalez has been a guy that tended to tend tends to chase a little bit.
Speaker 4: More but when he gets his his arms out there and when he's able to catch the ball further out, front he destroys, them like absolutely destroys. Them so you, know there may be a little bit of needing to catch it out, front being a little bit more, aggressive and that may result in a little bit more With but if that allows him to get into his power, consistently that could. Work he may also just have to lay off of your hard stuff, inside and if that's located, consistently that's how you beat him. AGAIN i Just i'm excited to see how he responds to that in DOUBLE, a because it just it just does seem like that would be the thing that could limit. Him but stuff, away, man like he can crush, it and stuff that you know is hanging or that he's able to still just catch further out, front it's getting hit.
Speaker 3: Hard, yeah that makes a lot of. SENSE i think it'll be one. Monitor but, again like he's so young and has so much time on his side already getting to double a'll finish the year there at nineteen and go into next year as a young twenty year old in DOUBLE a probably so a guy that'll be very cool to. Watch And, yeah like we've talked about a million, Times DOUBLE a is kind of that that point where these, guys like the guys who get through minors and they rake their way through the lower, levels they get to DOUBLE a and they usually got to adjust some things and challenge and that'll be what this offseason looks like For.
Speaker 4: Gonzales, yeah, absolutely AND i think it's just like one other, Note like it's not bad numbers AGAINST, vlo but like the quality of, contact like average ex velosity of eighty six miles per hour against ninety four, Plus like that's what you're going to see mostly the big.
Speaker 1: Globle it's a seven eighty eight.
Speaker 4: Ohps but you know when that ninety four plus now is located a little bit, More, yeah how do?
Speaker 1: You how do you handle?
Speaker 4: It, also that chase rate creeps to almost forty percent against ninety four, Plus so it's another. Player i'm Just i'm really excited for the DOUBLE a challenge and then see how he can maybe come back next year.
Speaker 3: Too last guy up on this Call ups And promotions check in episode Of Grady, emerson man number two overall, pick will make his minor league, debut Not Bridge, league but its official minor league debut this. Week The raider are sending him To SINGLE. A, obviously no games to talk about are From, grady but, like as you're doing your your prep for the top one hund you're working through, it what are some things you're just like looking forward to seeing for you, Know it's only gonna be a couple of weeks of games here For, grady but still will be cool to see him make his.
Speaker 4: Debut, YEAH i think just just seeing him in that game setting, consistently because it's just such a, fun well rounded game that you, KNOW i don't think one little clip or highlight is going to be the best way to Appreciate Grady. Emerson so just being able to see him play day and day, out even if it's just for a few weeks TO i want.
Speaker 1: TO i really want to see the defensive side of.
Speaker 4: Things SO i think he doesn't get enough credit for his athleticism there because he's really just a smooth. Mover BUT i think he's a little bit more athletic than he gets credit. FOR i think seeing how he controls his abs because it's such a good feel to. Hit it's such a good feel for the zone for where he's at, Already LIKE i JUST i want to see twenty thirty forty at bats so WHERE i can really enjoy it Because i've watched all the amateur abs and, whatever but like seeing it against professional stuff is going to be. Great LIKE i already know really like the swing and where it's at for his, age really like the. Projectability think the glove looks solid at, shortstop but you, know just against professional, arms you, know how does it. Look i'm excited to see BECAUSE i think across the, board it's all these it's above average across the, board and you feel a lot more confident in that assessment on an amateur when you get a chance to those well rounded types to see, them you know in a professional.
Speaker 3: Setting, Yeah, NO i think it's gonna be cool to. See obviously we've started to see you, know we've Seen rock, Debut we've Seen Von lackey. Debut So grandy'll be the next one, up which will be. Cool i'm looking forward to just get more of these. Guys the draft guys are always fun and at the end of the, day LIKE i think we've talked about this a little, bit like the the end of, season especially with the draft BEING midgeli now the guys like there's not really like you're not making big adjustments in this like last two months of the. SEASON a lot of it's just getting these guys run and LIKE i think with guys like grading with guys even you, know we talked about it With rock and swing changes that are probably coming from The White sox toward like these high end draft, Picks like if they were debuting after their draft, year they're not really doing much other than just the experience of, it getting their feet, wet seeing how they feel in, games getting real live, looks and keeping them. Fresh all the, adjustments some of the changes we're going to see from these players realistically will be in the.
Speaker 4: Offices it's tough, too Because i've talked to some people with teams AND i always get the feedback of, like, yeah don't take too much from you, know these these pro, Debuts like you, know it's not a big, Deal like WE'RE i, try we try not, to you, know make any, crazy.
Speaker 1: DON'T i almost don't put much talk at it at.
Speaker 4: All but it's also our first chance to see some of these guys in a pro setting that it becomes difficult to, uh to not take something from. It Like Drew, burris he's popping one to seventeens with metal and you, know we have like twenty something bad at balls and he's yet to exceed one oh. Five and the whole question with him was like how is he going to do with with?
Speaker 1: Wood because he struggled.
Speaker 4: On The, cape and it's like you don't want to you don't want to overthink, it you don't want to get ahead of.
Speaker 1: Yourself but it's like you don't want to fully ignore it, Too so it's.
Speaker 4: Interesting Andrew fisher also had quality of contact concerns in his brief pro debut last, year AND i don't think he's got those. Now so ultimately it's to be taken with a grain of. Salt BUT i think especially for these high school, guys just to see the way they go about their, business see the way they move out, there see how comfortable they, ARE i do think is more.
Speaker 1: Revealing some of these college guys are.
Speaker 4: GASSED i was thinking The goove is a lot of fun to, watch like to See Rock, scholaski you, know with the game speeding up a little bit more, professionally how he looks, defensively those things are always fun to it's a monitor.
Speaker 3: Too on that, NOTE i do think he looks pretty good. DEFENSIVELY i will say the bats haven't been all, great but there's some places he's made it short be very impressive to me so, far which we. Expected but it's been cool to.
Speaker 4: See, yeah, exactly and it's just the comfort there because it is a faster, game and it is just the ball is coming off a little bit, different and these guys are generally moving up the line, quicker and so all all those things you, know can can speed up a shortstop making their pro.
Speaker 1: Debut SO i think that's all we got for this one.
Speaker 4: Again top one hundred update on the way On, monday so keep an eye out for. That we'll be doing some other fun check ins later this, week probably good for another heat sheet, soon some other fun stuff in the pipeline as, well card related THAT i think you'll be excited about.
Speaker 1: Up so very much looking forward to.
Speaker 3: That it's gonna be, cool. Man i'm really excited to get more card content. Going we Will we'll leave the full announcement for a little bit later this, week but actually later this week we'll be doing some more specific card related stuff as it relates to. Prospects i'm really excited to be working with some great people on that. Stuff so fired up about what all that's going to, incentivize because you, know the, prospects the, cards it all ties in and if you're a card person listening to us for prospect, stuff make sure hopping On whatnot At Just Baseball. Rips we're breaking five nights a week usually right. Now it's been super. Fun we got some really cool products as as we're recording here On. Tuesday we Got tier one And Tops finest both this, week which are some really unique. Products i'm excited to. Repose i've never ripped any sort Of, finest So i'm Actually i'm really looking forward to probably grabbing a spot on The Finest bricks myself.
Speaker 4: Too, yeah, Yeah i'm. Excited i'll be in there FOR i think The tier. ONE i want That miggy patch they had so oh, see unlikely with my lug. OUT i don't know if we never, know you never, know ever, know but you know that's ONE i really. Wanted and there's some other fun you, Know Tops Chrome rookie Chases i'm in, on so looking forward to. That so, yeah use that twenty five dollars free credit with the link in the episode description if you're new To whatnot and, regardless Like i'm gonna try to be in there and talking ball and would love to see somebody out, there so come hang out with.
Speaker 1: Us so, always thank you for. Listening What tough prospects with you with this week, okay