Speaker 1: Welcome to two percent. I'm your host, Michael Easter. Today we're going to be talking about these science backed benefits of art, whether that is creating it yourself, experiencing it, or even just taking an artistic mindset to whatever you do. First, we're going to speak to Daisy Fancourt. She's the world's foremost researcher studying the benefits of art. She also wrote a book called Art Cure. Then we're going to bring on Jesse Albrick. He's one of my favorite artists. He does ceramic work that is just mind blowing, beautiful, amazing. He's also a veteran of the Iraq War, so he's going to tell us his story. He's going to talk to us about how the war influences work and why creativity can be an outlet not only for veterans, with everyone else. I'll take a quick break and we'll start with Daisy. Well, Daisy Fancourt, thank you for coming on two percent.
Speaker 2: It's a pleasure. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: Okay, here's where I want to start. John Adams said I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. My sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statutary, tapestry and porcelain, so Adams. In this quote, he seems to be suggesting that art is the highest pursuit. Why is art so important for our lives and our well being?
Speaker 3: Arts engagement is a fundamental human behavior that's arguably one of the pinnacles of our evolution as apecies. And we see very clearly the impact that the arts have, whether it's on us as individuals, on our to societies, ways of challenging and developing our whole way of thinking as humans. But it's funny hearing that, because I think many people would really argue or with we're used in society to thinking about the reverse that actually the arts courses are the ones that are very much not the necessary, the ones that can be cut because we should be focusing all of our attention onto those other subjects instead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you mentioned evolution, So what is the history of they art? How long has art been around in humanity?
Speaker 2: It's a hard thing to figure out.
Speaker 3: So actually some of the earliest tangible evidence of the art comes from sort of forty odd thousand years ago, where we've got things like bones, statues, bone flutes, cave paintings, sort of rhythmic heal patterns that suggest dance in caves. But actually there is some even earlier examples. We think of the arts actually emerging as a way of supporting social bonding, with some even arguing that singing evolved as a way of helping us to connect before language.
Speaker 2: Even came into being.
Speaker 3: And if that's so, then the arts and some form may have been with us for a couple of hundred thousand years and actually playing a really important role in our entire survival from the beginning that they emerged.
Speaker 1: That's amazing because I think when people think of the past and our hunter gatherer ancestors, they assume it was all just drudgery. All you do is walk around looking for food, hunting, and you just hope to survive. But it turns out people were spending time on I think what a lot of us today would consider leisure and this sort of higher thing we can do with our free time.
Speaker 3: But what's interesting here is that when they were engaging in arts, it seems to have had a purpose to it. It was about social bonding or connection or some of those early examples of the art, like the bone statues, were of female figures that people think may have been part of fertility rituals.
Speaker 2: So it suggests that.
Speaker 3: Arts were actually seen as a fundamental part of everyday life rather than just to kind of flippant nice thing to have. They were a necessity rather than luxury.
Speaker 1: I love it all right, coach. So to set the stage, you did a one hundred and forty six page report for the World Health Organization reviewed all the research on how art improves health and well being. You also have a book called Archer How Art Saves Lives, So big picture to set the stage, how does art save lives?
Speaker 3: Arts engagement can have so many effects on our health. One of the things that it can do is help to enhance our well being, giving us a sense of meaning and purpose in our lives, which is arguably what most people are looking for in a good life. But it can also actually impact every system in our body, our brains, our immune system, our cardiovascular system, and actually fundamentally impact our risk of developing illness from mental health problems to physical illness. And if we do develop health challenges, It can also play a really important role in the management and even treatments of psychological and physical symptoms.
Speaker 1: What do you think the mechanism is for mental health benefits and what are those seemed to be You mentioned sort of lightly on them, but what are some of the specific benefits we find and what's happening there.
Speaker 3: Well from day to day engagement in the arts. We actually see that if people are regularly engaged, they have about half the risk of developing depression over the next ten years of their lives, and if they already.
Speaker 2: Have symptoms of depression.
Speaker 3: For example, ARTS engagement an hour a week for twelve weeks tends to reduce symptoms by about thirty to forty percent in people. These are the same effect sizes that we actually see for other kinds of interventions like psychological therapies and medication, and the effects to be quite long lasting even after the end of finishing sort of three months of regular ARTS engagements. And part of the reason for it is that ARTS engagement helps to alter our moods. It can help us to feel happier when we engage, releasing neurotransmitters like dopamine that are involved in pleasure. It can also reduce our stress response systems, so lowering our heart rate, our blood pressure, stress hormones like cortisol. It can also affect inflammation in our immune system, which is actually very much linked in with depressive feelings, so our mood has these correlates within our immune system. When we can see arts engagement influencing both our feelings of moods and also those biological markers, and it can also help to give us a sense of community and a purpose and feel good about ourselves to mastery within it as well, so it can target multiple aspects of our well being.
Speaker 1: And then physically, what are some of the benefits we'll see there.
Speaker 3: Physically, if people engage regularly in the arts, we can see affecting different organ systems, like when we sing, for example, that actually helps to improve the strength of respiratory muscles. If we're regularly engaged in things like dance that have got that physical components, we see improvements in cardiovascular outcomes from blood pressure, cholesterol, triglycerides, which are kind of fatty acids fatty fats.
Speaker 2: In our blood.
Speaker 3: We also see that regular engagement have muscular scaltal benefits. It's literally getting us out and about and keeping us physically active, so that has a lot of benefits as we get older.
Speaker 2: In particular, so people who.
Speaker 3: Engage regularly in the art are less likely to become frail or to develop age related signs of decline.
Speaker 2: We also see.
Speaker 3: Brain effects, so engaging in the art involves so many regions of our brain. It really is a whole brain workout which helps to strengthen connections between different regions of the brain. And in fact we see that people who are regularly engaged in the arts are actually younger biologically and neurologically.
Speaker 1: We're going to take a quick break and then Daisy will explain to physical health benefits that can come from art that don't involved movement like painting. Is there do you get physical benefits from arts that don't have a movement component like do we see? I don't know, for example, benefits and heart health from people who are painting or creating music or anything like that.
Speaker 2: You do often through different pathways.
Speaker 3: So obviously if you're dancing, it is a form of aerobic exercise, so it's in a way it's not surprising you see health physical health benefits, although interestingly, a lot of the trials that compare dance to other aerobic exercise actually see even greater improvements in many health outcomes from the dance because it's not only the physical, it's also bringing in the social and also the psychological benefits of the creativity and the imagination that's involved in those mood benefits too. But we do see benefits from other kinds of non active arts as well. So in fact, my team and I have just finished a study where we've looked at how arts engagement affects patterns of gene expression, and it actually looks at particular patterns that we call epigenetic clocks, which are an indication of where the people aging biologically faster or slower than their chronological age. And we see that even the things that are the more passive arts engagement, like sitting and reading regularly for pleasure, or doing crafts or being involved in other arts groups, these are all linked in with a lower epigenetic age, the slower biological aging. And we think this is because arts engagement has such diverse psychological benefits for things like stress that we know really influence our physical health as well.
Speaker 1: So sort of in totality, I would say, you know, when people think of how do I improve my health? They're often going, Okay, well I need to eat better, probably should sleep better, I should probably exercise it. But you know, go to the gym and do my three sets of ten raps or whatever. But you argue that the arts are a fifth pillar of health. They're just as important of as all of these other things. How string do you think the research on that?
Speaker 4: Is?
Speaker 2: The research is.
Speaker 3: Really accumulating so rapidly now. I think people are often surprise when they hear it's now tens of thousands of scientific studies on the health benefits of the arts, and actually a lot of these are increasingly pitting the arts against other health behaviors that we're much more familiar with. So, for example, the study I just mentioned on epigenetic aging, we actually directly compared arts for epigenetic aging and physical activity.
Speaker 2: They actually had.
Speaker 3: The same sized effect on our raid of epigenetic aging, which I think is just one example of so many studies now that are showing these parallel effect sizes between arts and other health behaviors, really highlighting that we need to take the arts more seriously.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And so from my perspective, sort of going into this and I thought there would be some benefits. I was like, yeah, there's probably some research search on this, and then I came across your massive WHL report and it was kind of one of those your jaw drops and goes, oh my god. I didn't realize there was this much there there. I mean, it's just fascinating.
Speaker 2: It's really exciting.
Speaker 3: And actually, if you look at other health behaviors, though, it's been a similar process of them not being taken seriously at first, Like if you look back in the nineteen eighties, there were still these debates about is exercise good for our health, which.
Speaker 2: Is such a hilarious concept to consider now.
Speaker 3: And another example I talk about in my book as well is seat beltsing cars. Like if you look back before the nineteen nineties, nobody wore a seat belting cars. People thought it was a ridiculous concept, and it took years, decades of scientific research about the impact it has for our health and survival and lobbying and like really public awareness building before suddenly there was this huge sea change in awareness and also in people's behaviors. And I think that we're getting to that similar seatbelt moment or tipping point with art engagement. People are actually increasingly becoming aware of this evidence. It's why I've written this book to really try and galvanize that public awareness. And I'm hoping that we'll have that similar tipping point where suddenly, in a few years everybody will be like, well, of course art is good for our health and.
Speaker 5: We should be doing it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love that question. Do you have to produce art or make art yourself or can you just consume it and get a lot of the benefits we're talking about here.
Speaker 3: So both have benefits for us, and I'd say you can think about it a little bit like thinking about ingredients in a meal, because when we engage in different arts activities, they all have different ingredients. Like some are more social, some are involve more different sensory stimulations. Some are involving our own creativity and imagination.
Speaker 2: Some are more physical. So naturally, the things where we are.
Speaker 3: Producing and having to really get involved ourselves, those can bring additional benefits of their own. They might support our feelings of mastery or self esteem if we're creating things ourselves. But actually they're more sort of so called receptive things like reading books or watching films or going to the theater. These also have lots of benefits, particularly because they tend to expose us to lots of new emotions, new storylines that can challenge our way of thinking. So they might influence us in different ways, but often we actually see quite similar health outcomes, particularly for outcomes that are quite broad like mental health.
Speaker 1: Yeah, speaking of mental health, there's part of your report and your work is looked at behavioral health, especially with kids and teens and arts.
Speaker 4: What have you found there.
Speaker 3: Interestingly, there's a lot of research now growing about the benefits the arts engagement has for supporting children in developing their own behaviors.
Speaker 2: So we see that young people who are.
Speaker 3: Regularly engaged in the arts actually have better levels of self control and self esteem, and they're actually less likely to develop behavioral problems and also to get involved in antisocial or criminalized behaviors. That some of this is probably displacement effects. You know, if you're spending your time doing arts, you might not have as much time to be sort of staying out on the streets or getting into trouble for example. But actually the fact that the artists do nurture those core skills like empathy and helping to put ourselves in other people's shoes, which is known as theory of minds. Those are very very important psychological skills that we build up through and interestingly, when we're looking at narrative, at things that are involving stories, they're particularly important for young people because it means that they are feeding their brains with different scenarios, different emotions, and they're having to practice how to manage those emotions, but also how to imagine how they would respond to all of those different scenarios. And that's what young people's brains are constantly doing, trying to build up their repertswire of how they can respond to really complex situations and be resilient in them as well.
Speaker 2: And by giving us.
Speaker 3: All of those different exposures through art, we're actually building what's called the predictive coding abilities of young people's brains.
Speaker 1: So what do you tell parents? What's the takeaway for parents? Does it just get your kids involved in any art at all, or what's the sort of path in the basket There is there a specific dose the research findes, or what does that look like?
Speaker 3: So I think in young children the sort of main message and I have young kids myself, so I've definitely been learning this on a fly, But the main message is just to embrace creativity across day to day whenever you can. So kids are so naturally good at this, like they're constantly singing or dancing, or acting out bits of stories or wanting to read and doing crafts, and I think really embracing those, even if they're just those micro moments that get scattered across the day, because that's so important for developing their creativity and giving them those exposure to emotions.
Speaker 2: And to storylines.
Speaker 3: As young people get older, I think there are new opportunities that can be added in, like giving them new novel art experiences. So I love taking my kids to watch street musicians buskers in our town because it's such an easy way to be exposed to music. There's no pressure to sit down for an hour or two. You can just have those micro moments. But it's giving them those fresh perspectives and starting to go to other shows or gigs or festivals that can give them that exposure is exciting. And if they can develop a creative hobby that they have that chance to work at and build that sense of self esteem and mastery, that can be really really important in building a strong sense of self and confidence in a strong community as well as they're getting older.
Speaker 1: So social media takes a lot of heat around kids and mental health. At the same time, I think you could argue that social media is a creative outlet. It can be something where you're creating content that took creativity and it's interesting and it's almost a form of art. So what are your thoughts on that, How do you see the balance and so a big question.
Speaker 2: It's true.
Speaker 3: I think social media is sometimes sort of demonized as being a bad thing, but you're right that there can be a creative content component here and they can also I've increasingly seen this trend amongst young people which is doing what's called granny hobbies, so things like textiles, approache, these kinds of things, which is incredibly rude name for them, but it's been really trending of young people actually getting off their phones doing the crafting is a similar small activity with your hands that.
Speaker 2: You can do in a few minutes.
Speaker 3: But then they've been sharing their outputs back on social media. So I think for me, the really important component comes down to, is there the creativity and the imagination involved in this and also, what is it that you're trying to share with this. If it's about sharing those creative products, that's a little bit different from sharing self images. Is this about putting your self esteem into the art that you're involved in as supposed to about your own looks or your own selfies that are sort of coming out of this, And I think that can be a helpful differentiator in what is undoubtedly quite a complex balance and blurred line.
Speaker 1: So one thing that I loved I'll be thinking about this next time I visited a hospital is how you wrote about how having art, different forms of art in hospitals can help patient outcomes.
Speaker 4: What have you found there?
Speaker 3: So we've I used to work in hospitals in the UK, so I actually came out of at LEAs clinical programs and I was constantly really inspired by the impact that these programs have. I got to see firsthand that actually there were scenarios arts could offer things that actually medication couldn't. And I talk about some of these in the book, like the role that arts can play for example, and end of life care and really connecting families and supporting processes like bereavement and grief, which is such a complex topic, but one where we actually instinctively turn to the arts to support us in that time in societies all around the world. But there are also some other really interesting clinical contexts where I actually think we're being less safe and less ethical by not.
Speaker 2: Incorporating the arts and hospitals.
Speaker 3: So one example of that is thinking about surgical settings, where anxiety is naturally a big thing for people if they're going in to have surgeries, and actually if we do something as simple as play recorded music for people before and after their surgeries, we actually see really marked reductions in their own anxiety levels, but also in the amount of sedatives that they need and the amount of opioids that people need as well. And in fact, studies that have directly compared playing music to giving people anti anxiety meds show the music is more effective than the meds at reducing surgical anxiety. And given with talking about big issues like opoid crises and things which often can be triggered by things like having opioids following routine surgeries, using things like the arts as a way of helping people with more organic analgusics in natural analgusics, which is exactly what music provides, is a really powerful cost saving and almoso potentially life saving things to be thinking about.
Speaker 1: So should patients be advocating I want to take in my favorite playlist before my surgery.
Speaker 4: Is that how this plays out?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 3: I think that's a great thing if people can remember to be taking in those playlists. But I also think it's something that we can be providing so easily in hospitals. When I worked at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital in London, we actually worked with Brian Eno, the composer, and he developed this digital artwork that we placed in the booths that patients waited in before their surgeries, and he had his ambient music playing as well, and it was such a lovely thing for the hospital then to be offering that men. Even if people forgot to bring in their own music or what sure what to listen to, they had that really relaxing exposure before their operation.
Speaker 1: That's incredible. You mentioned art in end of life care. How does that actually play out? What does it look like and what have you found?
Speaker 3: So when I worked at Chelsea and Westminster, I remember working on one of the wards, their palliative careward, where there was a man who asked if he could have music for his final hours, and his family were around him, and we had a guitarist in the hospital that day, So the guitarist went into the room and played loads of his favorite music, and all of his family sang along as they said goodbye, and they kept singing for about an hour after he passed away. I felt like that was such a poignant example, an incredible gift that musician was able to give to that family in that in his last moments together. And there are so many examples that we see not just of music, but also of physical artwork being used in similar processes. I'm thinking of things like the HIV quilt, which has become like the largest example of community art in the world and has been such an important focal point for people to be able to grieve.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, with playing music, especially singing wind instruments, you found some beneficial things around lung health.
Speaker 4: Tell us about that.
Speaker 3: This is a really interesting emerging area of evidence because most of us actually don't tend to breathe correctly. We tend to do a lot of focus on the in breath, like deep breaths, but actually not so much on the exhale, and actually the exhale is where we focus all of our attention when we're doing wind instruments or singing. That's how we make the music. So there's been a number of studies saying, well, if we were to use singing or playing instruments, can we actually improve lung function in people? And certainly we see that professional singers and wind instrument players have better. They have stronger long function, they have stronger outbreaths what's called forced expiratory volume. But this is an interesting one in people who have conditions like chronic lung diseases like COPD for example, And actually a number of studies now have suggested that singing can actually helped to improve things like feelings of breathlessness and improve some lung function outcomes. So there are a number of programs that have been integrating singing as part of pulmonary rehabilitation for people with lung diseases.
Speaker 1: We had Andy Gaalpin, who's an American researcher on the podcast recently and he referenced the study that found people who had played the dju do they were experiencing sleep ATNA. Researchers how to play the dj DO and it improved their sleep ATNA outcomes because it sort of taught them to push their breath out. What have you found around cognitive benefits, especially for older adults and arts.
Speaker 3: This is a really interesting area that we've done quite a bit of work, and what we found is that people who are regularly engaged in the arts actually have better preservation of their cognition as they get oldest. They have better memory and executive function as they age. But we've also found that they have a longer time free from dementia, so a longer time until they actually start to show signs of dementia. And this is because arts engagement can help to build what's called cognitive reserve, and this is the resilience of the brain against cognitive decliente. So even if you're starting to develop their plaques and the tangles that are their physiological hallmarks of dementia, if you've got higher levels of cognitive reserve, you can essentially compensate for longer, so you can live with better cognitive functioning before you start to show those symptoms. And actually, increasingly we're starting to understand why and how art engagement builds that cognitive reserve, and one of the things that it does is it helps to build the connectivity between regions of the brain that are vulnerable to aging, so it helps them to talk strong better with each other, and it also helps to build new neural pathways. And in fact, people who are regularly engaged as professionals or as amateurs in the arts actually have younger brain ages to people who aren't engaging.
Speaker 1: That's fascinating. What if you found around in benefits for sleep? This I thought was interesting too, especially around music, because I would think if I need to fall asleep, anything's perfectly silent. But there is some evidence that suggests music and also help us sleep. And I feel like probably everyone listening to this podcast has gone, you know what, I could have more of sleep?
Speaker 4: So how do I find that a lot of.
Speaker 2: This seems to be links to stress?
Speaker 3: So actually, the studies that have looked at music and sleep have often looked at people listening to music earlier in the day, So it's not necessarily about changing a sleep routine, but it's trying to provide ways of reducing stress levels because as many people who have sleep problems will be conscious the biggest barrier to sleep is stress, and so that physiological relaxation that you can get through.
Speaker 2: Art is really fundamental there.
Speaker 3: So we do see that people who listen can actually improve their sleep over several weeks, and if people who are regularly engaged in the arts tend to have better sleep over time anyway, largely because of those reductions in stress.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just this overall reducing stress seems to help nearly everything in the body that we suffer from today.
Speaker 4: Bad sleep affects heart to use all these different systems, it does.
Speaker 3: And one of the things that music is so good at as a temporal art form is that if you pick music with a slow beat, we tend to synchronize our heart rate and our breathing to that beat.
Speaker 2: It's a process called entrainment.
Speaker 3: So it means that gradually we will calm ourselves down because we will automatically want to synchronize, and that means that music is not just a kind of mood relaxer, but it is also physiological relaxer for us. Another sort of classic example is that people often feel better if they're feeling sad and they listen to really sad music. That can often make you feel better because it means you feel validated emotionally, and it can help you to understand your own emotions.
Speaker 2: But equally, if.
Speaker 3: You keep listening and keep listening to really downbeat or sad things, then that could actually perpetuate negative emotions.
Speaker 2: So there is a balance here.
Speaker 3: I mean, I talk in the book about some of the strategies that people might want to know that might help them with this. So things like if you're listening to that really sad music and it's helping you initially, there's a lovely thing which is called the isoprinciple, where gradually each piece that you listen to, you try and shift it a bit more towards the mood you want to be in. So you're initially indulging that emotion, but you're also gradually trying to shift.
Speaker 2: That mood profile.
Speaker 3: And there are some really great examples like that that can inform people so they don't accidentally make themselves feel worse. But feeling bad or worse is very much the minority outcome compared to all the benefits the arts usually bring.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's interesting.
Speaker 1: We had a lady named Taylor Lorenz on the podcast, and she's sort of an expert in internet culture and algorithms, and she mentioned that one of the most powerful and tuned up algorithms is actually in Spotify. Surprisingly, people think that it's social media. No, it's actually Spotify. And she had a friend that was going through a divorce, you know, So she starts to listen to one sad song, and then it starts feeding her more sad songs and more sad songs, and eventually this lady was like, I think that my Spotify algorithm is actually making me more sad and sort of pushing me down the drain. So it's almost like she had to be all right, I have to consciously start to listen to upbeat stuff so the algorithm will go, okay, well, maybe the divorce is going a little better now, maybe you've got a big sallement or whatever it is.
Speaker 3: Well, I think that's why it's good to be more aware of the science, because you're right, those are algorithms that won't know this science. These are algorithms that just think, oh, you're enjoying this, I can leap you in and get you to.
Speaker 2: Do more of it.
Speaker 3: But I think that's where people need to know how they can they can take control of their engagement.
Speaker 2: And I think that things that are ai led in that way probably the things.
Speaker 3: That are most likely to cause harm because they're not considering the well being of the person at the core of it.
Speaker 1: We're going to take a break and then Daisy is going to explain whether we engage with art more or less today or in the past. Do you think that people engage in arts less often today compared to the past or is it?
Speaker 2: Oh, we know they do way less. We did a study last year.
Speaker 3: In the US looking at adults in the US, and we found that only one in twenty adults will say that they did any arts yesterday. And if you go back a few hundred years, like everybody was singing, dancing, telling stories as part of everyday life. We were looking and juststed it had to be the primary thing you were doing, so you couldn't count plugging in headphones and then multitasking. It had to be the thing you were giving your attention to. But only five percent of adults were doing.
Speaker 4: It, only five percent.
Speaker 3: And for reference, like in high income countries, fifty seven percent will say they ate vegetables yesterday and forty percent will say they did their physical activity. So compared to other health promoting behaviors, arts is really coming out bottom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So we go back to this is almost like we were talking about how the thinking on these things has shifted, where if you looked at say, people exercising, which is moving for the sake of movement.
Speaker 4: Forty years ago, when we.
Speaker 1: Thought maybe exercise is good, maybe not like probably not many people were doing it. And then as we've sort of increased the awareness on night you see a small upartic I will say more people should exercise, but still it kind of suggests that arts is, to your point, one of these things where the research is really growing, it's really strong, yet we haven't quite caught up in the discourse to get everyone on board.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean we can look at things like running as a kind of parallel example. If you look back a few decades compared to now, the average speed that adults ran a five k and a ten k was faster, not because people are getting slower now, but because more and more people are getting into running, even if they didn't think of themselves as a runner before. And that's such a wonderful success story because it's saying that we're actually managing to broaden the appeal of such a simple exercise like running, And I think it would be amazing if we saw a similar thing with the arts. It's not got to be You've not got to be a great artist to be doing arts. It's not about that, it's about participating. So i'd love to see a similar statistic in a couple of decades showing that more and more people have been engaging in the art and it's become much more accessible as a.
Speaker 2: Thing to do.
Speaker 4: What do you think holds people back from trying art?
Speaker 3: Many people don't think they're artistic or creative, and I think this is the biggest barrier people face, and it was sort of perpetuating it because whether you feel artistic will come down to whether you did arts in school and therefore you felt that you were good at it, and arts is getting more like less and less accessible in.
Speaker 2: Schools, so we're creating more and more of this problem.
Speaker 3: But I think there's also another issue, which is it can feel sometimes like something that's a bit inaccessible, like is it expensive or if you do you need an arts venue, is it something that you feel is socially the norm where you live. So I think there were lots of different barriers that we need to break down because at the moment, there is quite a strong social gradient. Yet people who engage in the arts are typically people who are wealthier, or got more education, or come from backgrounds where they did arts themselves as a child.
Speaker 1: Yeah, big question. What counts as art? I think when people hear art, they go, Okay, it's painting, it's probably music, it's sculpting. Opera, yes, opera, Everyone get into opera. But what counts as art?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 3: I define arts engagement as creative activities that people do that have the core artistic ingredients and for me though, are multisensory stimulation, creativity, esthetics, imagination. So yes, that includes things like performing arts, visual arts, literature, going to cultural venues and festivals. But I also think it should include things like horticultural arts like growing and arranging flowers, or culinary arts like baking and decorating cakes.
Speaker 2: Those contain all of those.
Speaker 3: Same ingredients as to things like carpentry and woodwork, which have got exactly those same creative processes. And I think that can also make it a slightly more accessible definition that people actually might realize they already are engaging in these things and they're not giving it their label, or they might find activities that might be less common, but actually ones that really speak to them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wonder if this is sort of akin to exercise, where the best exercise is the one that you enjoy and we'll actually do, and that sort of applies to art. It's just find something that hits those boxes that you just mentioned and then try it up, see what happens, and if you like it, stick to it.
Speaker 2: I think that's exactly right.
Speaker 3: And there are plenty of people who would hate the idea of going to a gym, but actually we get massively into really quirky sports or physical activity hobbies and that's brilliant and that's exactly the attitude that we want to have with arts. You've not got to go to the opera. You need to find that creative practice that you really enjoy.
Speaker 1: Given what we've talked about on all these emerging benefits, what is your thoughts on should we have better policies to promote art and what is the role of I guess communities, governments, different groups and getting art to the forefront Because you did mention only five percent of people are actually engaging every day.
Speaker 3: Well, it's actually a United Nations human right that everyone has access to the arts and we know it's one of the only UN human rights that is not monitored, and we know it as far from being achieved. So I think there definitely is a role for governments and thinking well, actually, how can we make arts accessible to try and break down some of those barriers. And actually we're seeing at international levels, like bodies like UNESCO and Weld Health Organization are getting really behind trying to encourage people to recognize arts as a health promoting behavior because actually at national levels we see that investing in the arts is not a nice thing. I mean it is, but it's not just a nice thing. We actually see really strong returns on investments. So in the UK, for example, for every pound that goes in via Arts Council budgets to fund arts in communities, we see around eleven pounds return on investment in terms of the well being benefits, reductions and health and social care utilization and improvements in productivity. And those are just the health benefits. We know there are other ways that the arts producer return on investment too, So I think a lot of this is actually getting governments to realize it's actually an investment putting money.
Speaker 2: Into the arts. But there's also a really important role.
Speaker 3: I think about how we think about the arts in terms of curriculum and educational policies, making sure all the young people have that opportunity to engage, both for their own mental health now and to support future engagements, and also seeing how we can perhaps value artists a bit differently because artists have such precarious working situations often and.
Speaker 2: Like fluctuating pay.
Speaker 3: My parents are both freelance artists, so I very much see this world and I think we could be reconsidering actually how important artists are in communities and how important their work is, and seeing how we can support them more.
Speaker 1: I just want to put a pin in that one pound invested returns eleven pounds in.
Speaker 2: Terms of well being benefits.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So this is work we've carried out in the UK where we've used the government's own Treasury Green Book, which is kind of about economic book to value this. And basically each point improvement in well being that we see is monetized because we know if you have higher well being, you can be more independent, you can contribute more to society, and these are the returns on investment that come out at a population level.
Speaker 1: I believe that investors call anything that gives any more than a ten x return a unicorn, and that's like the best thing you can hope for in investments. That's pretty phenomenal. I thought you were going to say maybe two or three, but eleven.
Speaker 5: Is.
Speaker 3: The challenge is that these values are often recuperated across different government departments.
Speaker 2: So this is where the challenge comes in.
Speaker 3: Because government departments often want something that will produce a direct return to their department, they won't care so much if it goes to a different government department, and that can be a challenge. But there's another really nice example actually recently, which was looking at Ireland and they have been implementing a universal basic income for artists. So they've just been given a salary to artists and they've been saying, well, actually, what happens, And they've found that the artists not only have improvements themselves and mental health well being, but they actually produce more art, they involve more members of the public in their art, and they actually manage to generate more income for themselves and also for society through their art if they have that basic income. So we're seeing these sort of returns coming back in so many different ways. Across different kinds of economic modeling.
Speaker 4: How do you think the US does and all this kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: The US, it's got a convex set up because you've got different policies across states as well as nationally, so it can be I guess harder in that way to see massive change in people's engagement. But I think the US has been really innovative recently in having arts on prescription programs in eighteen different parts of the US, and I've been involved in the evaluation of this program, and it's been really incredible, actually even seeing insurance companies actually putting money into this, recognizing that actually, if people can be given referrals to arts by healthcare professionals, it can support their well being and their functioning and actually mean that they're not necessarily they're needing to draw on health services in the same way. So it can actually produce returns on investment for those insurers too.
Speaker 1: That's really cool. Okay, we're going to start to land the plane. Someone hears this conversation, they're kind of interested. Where would you tell them to start.
Speaker 2: Well, reading my book is definitely a good place to start.
Speaker 1: As I second that as a fellow author, I will say yes, read more books. Final question, So we started this conversation with the John Adams quote about art. The thing is he didn't actually study art, and you do with the foremost researcher in the world on art. So, enclosing, what would your big quote about art be, I'd.
Speaker 3: Say arts are not a luxury in our lives, there in necessity, and I really believe that they are a missing pillar of our health.
Speaker 4: I love it. Well, Daisy, thanks so much for coming on the show.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 4: Thanks to Daisy.
Speaker 1: Now we're going to talk to Jesse Albrech about war and a ceramic work right after the break.
Speaker 4: All right, Jesse, thanks for coming on.
Speaker 5: Man. Yeah, thanks for having me. Stoked to be here.
Speaker 1: So you joined the military when you were studying art in college. You get in How did the military guys take your art background?
Speaker 6: Well, initially as a youngster, there was a little bit of scrap and that had to earn that placeholder for me when I was, you know, an eighteen nineteen year old kid in the field artillery. But yeah, it was all kind of good need shured, hardcore Wisconsin ribbing. And then when I joined the other unit down in Iowa City. I was a little bit older, and I think being the fact that it was a medical unit, there was a little bit more grace given to varying backgrounds.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that makes sense. So you what year did you join?
Speaker 5: Nineteen ninety six.
Speaker 1: I enlisted, Okay, and then eventually nine to eleven happens you went over to Iraq, right, correct?
Speaker 6: So I I just started my third semester of graduate school. I was in my MFA program in the ceramics program at the University of Iowa and Iowa City, and it was February when we got put on active duties. So I withdrew from that semester and we deployed out of Fort McCoy in Wisconsin in February. It was pretty cold. We ended up loading art all of our equipment. We had ambulances and stuff like that. Home vs and and inducing a half trucks on the trains that went down to Florida got loaded on boats. But we went over on a plane. So we landed Kuwait, and you know, I think it was the idea was to have people there and when our equipment got there, you know, it took a while for the boats to get there, so there was an adjustment period sitting in the desert waiting. The actual ground assault ended then and then there was a lot of unknowing, a lot of like I said, a lot of waiting, a lot of rumors, and then we ended up after probably a month or two in Kuwait. We then drove into Iraq and got up to northern Iraq. We were just south of Mosul, and pretty quickly then a buddy of mine and a PA spent about a month on the Turkish border in a town called Zako provide medical.
Speaker 5: Support for.
Speaker 6: The folks that were escorting pro paint tanks tankers coming into.
Speaker 5: Iraq, and then spent most of the time in Mosel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Mosel was a pretty hot area right it started.
Speaker 6: It started very chill, and then pretty quickly it got it got exciting, and then it got much more exciting as time went on. So, uh, there was there was like a brief lull where it was kind of like hey, oh, you know, everything's great, and then pretty quickly things were not great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what was the So we were effectively trying to take Mosl and obviously facing a lot of resistance.
Speaker 6: No, so in a sense like it was like, hey, you know, we won the war. It was kind of like the initial thing. So the battle for Mosel wasn't happening when I was there. It was it was like, you know, things were in a sense chill, and then things started, you know, the the insurgency started picking up steam with IED's rocket mortar attacks, you know, grenades and and those type of attacks in the city while while we were there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you were on the medical unit.
Speaker 5: Correct.
Speaker 6: We were an area support medical battalion, and so the advantage of that is we had ambulances and so we could ground evac and then quickly that turned into uh just evaking to metavacts once, you know, very very quickly it became unsafe to drive around town very much.
Speaker 5: And uh yeah.
Speaker 6: And then also like there was one time where I did one uh we were at the Palace, which is in the northern part, and then the there was a hospital that was at the airfield, and you know, I drove one time with there was just two of us in an ambulance across Mosel to do an evacuation of a of a of a routine patient and I was just like, this is bananas. And that was the last time we did that. I mean, nothing happened, but like you know, two kids with pistols could have killed us easily.
Speaker 1: You know, like there was just so much risk and threat that even just moving from point to a point bre just like out and felt like out in the open, like anything could happen.
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, I mean it's yes and no, Like you know, I think there was enough where pretty quickly, you know, there was there was a there was a pretty uh pretty legit attack with some grenades right outside of the of the gate of where we were at, and so we saw those combat h casualties right away, treated them. And then you know, the hundred and first Airborne is who we got attached to, and they have a lot of helicopters, and so the chief medical officer that was that was there made the decision quickly like hey, we have all these helicopters, we're going to air evac you know, casualties.
Speaker 5: And so that's what we did.
Speaker 6: Now within that, we did so part of what we did is we ran an aid station. We had a medical professional with us, which was a huge asset, and so we ran the aid station with sick call, so all your medical stuff and then also all your emergency stuff for this base that we were at, and then we also provided security for the Division surgeon and the Division chaplain for the one hundred and first Airborne, So those are the top officers that oversee all those kind of operations, and so we quickly became their security detachment with only M sixteen's and we weren't issued the ceramic plates that would stop bullets until right before redeployed. So these soft skin humbies quickly became mad Max with sandbags and everything else.
Speaker 5: Ratchet strapped on and things were exciting, and it was quickly.
Speaker 6: I was just terrified because we were trained as medics, and I think the mentality was kind of like, well, you know, it's going to be okay with some folks, and I didn't have that feeling. I was like, well, we need to do stuff, and by we that quickly meant okay, I'm going.
Speaker 5: To go figure out I'm going to.
Speaker 6: Go talk to folks that are their job is to have that aggressive posture and to not take the fight to the enemy, and we need to have that mentality when we go out.
Speaker 5: We need to figure out our radios, we need to figure out.
Speaker 6: Our maps, we need to have a plan if you know, things go bad, and so, you know, it was it was quickly like hey, look around, is this happening. No, it's like okay, well, this is what I'm going to do. And so it was through just being terrified that I kind of looked around and said, hey, this this just is not right. There's a lot more we could and should be doing. And so it took that initiative and you got to do everything you can, even when you don't have a lot.
Speaker 1: Now when you got back, you've told me that military sort of sighte you down in the room and plage you VHS tape like, Karen, now you watched this VHS tape. Now you'll leave this experience, fine, tell us about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So you know it was.
Speaker 6: It was April in two thousand and four when we redeployed, and I mean you could look around and just know things were not going good and you're like, I'm stoked to be out of here and to redeploy again through Fort McCoy and which was a base that was mainly World War Two. The National Guard uses it a lot, and so we were still in the first wave of really people getting redeployed from that.
Speaker 5: It was in this room with a chaplain.
Speaker 6: A VHS tape was played of a horse whisper, like a documentary kind of that was it was an abstract concept, right of like they used to break horses with violence. Now they learned how to use communication to better understand this animal and not use violence. You just spent a year using violence to stay alive and to solve your problems. Now is not the time to use that violence anymore. Now you should use communication in these other cues, and you're breathing to solve your problems. Well, none of those dots were connected. It was play the tape, you know, horse whisper. The joke was that's good looking and chewing was like one of the repetitious things that he kept saying in the video with horse training, which I don't know anything about. And so a bunch of you know, twenty year olds that are just jacked and stoked to be not in Iraq anymore, we're left loose in the world, and kind of that was it like, hey, good luck, you know. So it was a pretty much you're kind of reintroduced into your original environment with a much different You're not the same person, and so it was it was definitely left a lot to be desired, and I think everybody figured it out kind of the hard way of like we need to be more thoughtful and take a lot more approaches to better integrate, and it's still really hard better integrate soldiers and people coming back from war zones.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what do you feel most helped you reintegrate? I know you mentioned that you found some guys in the art world who were also Vats.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it took a while for me to find those folks.
Speaker 6: It was pre internet and so up until so I was able to luckily have the infrastructure of ceramics and that community in my corner, having gone to undergrad for it and was in graduate school and a friend of mine was going to fire this woodkiln in Arizona, and so so having that has something to go into as just because I was I just felt so uncomfortable being back and doing anything besides being in Iraq. Felt comically silly in terms of like life and death decisions every day, you know, gave you meaning and and a really pointed daily activity.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So coming back and just being totally like, hey, figure it out now, I was like, I mean, that's what happens, right, And so it was like all my friends were graduating, and so yeah, thankfully I had that opportunity with Straam because to kind of get me an opportunity as like you know, like the cops put the safety strips out as I'm going one hundred miles an hour, I hit those and the safety strips were ceramics.
Speaker 1: What kind of conversations you have with other vets who are in the art space, specifically ceramics and some of the guys you've worked under and with.
Speaker 6: Like back in that that time, So like the conversations I have now versus the conversations and you know, this is like two thousand and four is when I got back. Yeah, I was so so the conversations in two thousand and four. I didn't even know you just kind of think everything is fine, And I was trying to go on pretending that like kind of nothing happened, even though it was so like I didn't know how much I changed at that time. Yeah, and so that's where I was going from that mindset of like, oh yeah, I'm still in my mind, Okay, now I'm back to that old person that was, you know, in the National Guard.
Speaker 5: But also was.
Speaker 6: An artist and going through my my my ceramics program as a graduate student. So the conversations at that time were they were kind of like I think it was apparent to everybody that knew me before, and also people seeing me like this, this guy's really changed a lot, but I still couldn't see it because I was in it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel like that's probably pretty common.
Speaker 6: Yep, yeah, and so and so in like, you know, to the to the question of it was like two thousand and six when I first kind of heard of some other people that were more recent veterans. There was one of my professors, Bunny McBride, was in the Army. He's definitely an older gentleman at that time. And you know, I had my other professor, Chuck Hines, wasn't in the service, but you know, those that generation kind of those.
Speaker 5: You know, the numbers of how old those folks would be today.
Speaker 6: Would be in their eighties, you know, or nineties, but they had seen, you know, so Chuck was great about having friends that came back from Vietnam, and so a lot of that generation of those professors had seen, you know, had friends that had served and came back and knew how to kind.
Speaker 5: Of just say, hey, we're here for you.
Speaker 6: I don't know what you went through, but we're going to do what we can to take care of you here. And that was huge, you know. It actually took until two thousand maybe fourteen, the first time I had a chance to really have a ceramics residency with other other veterans. And backing up, I was also able to kind of connect with some other veteran artists, but again after I was done with school and and the conversations really were about I think how kind of messed up it was in that first era of OIF one of what it was in Iraq and how it was like so you know, like you're kind of trying to like you're really figuring it out what's happening as things are changing drastically by the day. And and and also that was the time I think where one thing.
Speaker 5: Was said that got us there.
Speaker 6: We quickly could see I could see like what was said at what got us here? And and everybody I talked to was like, yeah, no, this isn't there's no WMTS there, And so there was a huge disillusionment in terms of the integrity of the whole mission kind of felt in question. So that's what a lot of the conversations that I had early on with folks was.
Speaker 5: Just this deep feeling of betrayal of the ideas that I had.
Speaker 6: Of being like a fourth generation or sixth generation, depending how accurate the numbers are, combat veteran.
Speaker 5: And I had this idea in my mind of like, hey, I'm a good guy. We're here to get the bad guys.
Speaker 6: It's black and white, cut and dry, and so the they're trying to reconcile this idea I had in my head and the reality was really really hard.
Speaker 5: That took me a long time to kind of come to terms with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how did that come out in your art? And I know you've told me your artist kind of shifted in the last tenful of years, but how did that initially kind of manifest itself in the work you're doing.
Speaker 6: Initially it was, you know, I mentioned I'm like a fourth fourth generation combat veteran, so Vietnam, Pearl Harbor, Terowa, New Guinea, and then the First.
Speaker 5: World War were folks that I knew in my family.
Speaker 6: Is that I was trying to express the human what I was, the human experience of being a soldier in combat, and then also the conversations that I wish I would have had with my grandfather died when right before I came back home. He was a medic and actually an ambulance driver, so the same kind of job title I actually had. He was a medic and an ambulance driver in New Guinea and the Second World War. So it was like really violent, angry, dark was the work that I was making. The Abu Gree pictures of the torture images came out right kind of as we were getting home, and those were really a I mean, it was heartbreaking and just so kind of disgusting to see at that that that was done under you know, by by our soldiers. And but but it also for me became a really powerful image of like this is this is what war does to people, and it opens this door for the most horrible things that people do to each other. And so I got stuck on that track of trying to and this is such a kind of a naive and it makes me a naive thought of like, well maybe if I just make work that shows people, then they'll know and then there won't be any more war, you know.
Speaker 5: Like that's that was like truly where I was coming from.
Speaker 6: And it makes me Yeah, I mean it's I think it's a noble thing and I think it's worth doing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, But I also it sucked me in, you know.
Speaker 1: And then your work you said your work shifted was like five years ago and kind of took on. I don't know if you use the word a more positive bent or what, but like tell us about that. How did the work change, and then also what prompted that change?
Speaker 5: So my work changed in twenty two.
Speaker 6: In a huge way because I got to a place where I spent two months in the VA Hospital in Montana in the Trauma Recovery program, which is an impatient PTSD program, And that really saved me for a lot of reasons in a lot of ways. And so I went from only being able to focus on the negative and that so that started in like two thousand and four of really focusing and examining and thinking about my actions, my family's actions in these in these wars, and I conducted myself with honor and integrity. Did I make some mistakes, absolutely, but nothing in a really horrific way.
Speaker 5: But that overall.
Speaker 6: Feeling of being a part of something that wasn't didn't have integrity to start pulled me in and then I just it became a just such a negative spiral. That's all I focused on. And that's what I became is more and more negative by focusing on that. So in twenty twenty I got into this program. Despite my best efforts, you know, my life became unmanageable. And that was in the terms of war and PTSD. And I was able to, through a lot of hard work and help from a lot of other people along the way, and all of this, be able to come to a place where, I mean the real point was in a you know, through prayer and in a sweat lodge Fort Harrison that's contracted through the Helena Indian Alliance, you know, with about twenty five percent of the folks I was in the program with were Native Americans. And through the combination of that of like that spiritual powerful experience in addition to doing under the kind of Western eggheads sitting in fluorescent lights with tile in a institution of you know, these cognitive behavioral therapy worksheets. Okay, what you know to see all my corrupt thought patterns and see how I just distorted my distorted thinking and the negative patterns that I have. I was able through that break that experience apart, and it was truly like being reborn to be able to come out and watch the sun come up and the sun set. And it's like I remember thinking and just being overwhelmed with emotion of like how beautiful this place is, but I wasn't able to see it, feel it, or experience it because I was so I'd become so in just choked off in this negativity that I did to myself.
Speaker 5: And so my work.
Speaker 6: Then after that, like it's before that, it was just one note of like dark, horrible, people are bad, everything's terrible, and it had that aesthetic and it was aggressive and violent and really dark. So then after the fact, so the other note that that is in this is like my daughter is probably six years old or no, she was five, I think at this time, and I realized it wasn't for myself. It was for my daughter that I decided I needed I needed more help, Like I.
Speaker 5: Could see my you know, my.
Speaker 6: Experiences and who I'd become because of my service and inability to recover from it was having a negative impact on her. And I was able to you know to through some things that you know, find my way into this program. That really saved me and and the work shifted and I was able to I made a body of work that was focused on recovery and also could have aspects of beauty in it.
Speaker 5: And so so that was huge.
Speaker 4: That's a super powerful story.
Speaker 1: Like you go in this place one way and like through these experiences with other people, Yes you've got the science, but then you've also have like the actual experience and just totally shift and then that changes things moving forward. So we had we talked to this researcher whose name is Daisy Fancoork and she said that art is healing. And I know when we had a conversation you were somewhat skeptical of that. So and and based on what you just told us, what's your take on that opinion?
Speaker 5: I think it. I think it can be for a lot of people.
Speaker 6: I think the reason that I kind of, I guess get a little tight in my chest is that I've seen it in a couple of ways that like, again one hundred percent, absolutely it can be for a lot of people. I've seen it use in a kind of a way to be dismissive and as a pejorative in the art world to say, well, that's just that therapy art, that's just you know, as in like a really really kind of negative way interesting. That is so disgusting to me that it just dismisses it completely. And again I'm able to see now that that's not about me, that's about whatever that person and the people that make those comments. That has to do with issues that they're that they're dealing with. I've never actually done our therapy, it's the other thing. It's like I've done you know, therapy, therapy, individual group, you know. And so in terms of like the other thing is that I through what I focused on and was trying to communicate through my art, I actually think at a certain point, well, I know, I made myself sicker because because I became we become what we focus on, and I was focusing on the negative at trying to communicate the negative aspects of myself and the experience in war overlaid with my family history and then you know, going back and forth in that regard, that's how I focused on and that that was such a terrifying thing to be able to look back and see I did this to myself by what I focused on, and I was focusing on that to put it in my art.
Speaker 5: So it's it's like it's a really in it. I've thought about.
Speaker 6: It, like it's hard to know at what point it became a great way to kind of have a catharsis and to express myself and to find a voice and have that.
Speaker 5: So then it became that's what was pulling me in. You know.
Speaker 6: I say, like I looked into the void, will the void pulled me back into it and it is terrifying. It was like terrifying.
Speaker 1: So it's almost like to a certain point it potentially helped you initially and then sucked you in and you needed to point it in a more positive direction for that art to actually have enhance your life.
Speaker 6: Absolutely absolutely, And it was just me. I mean, this is like the silliest thing. It was me not understanding how powerful what my focus is or was. But the thing too, going back with that is to say, you know, again through all this, I have amazing friends, and that most of them that are artists. You know, the two friend groups are veterans and artists or people in the military, and the artists friends like unbelievably like I can't say enough of how grateful I am for them, but would say, you know, like, hey, maybe sometime you could try making something beautiful, And I would almost get angry in not allowing myself to feel like I felt like I had to try to express this experience about war so deeply and powerfully that to try to focus on anything beautiful felt like it was that like self punishment thing in a way, like I just couldn't give myself permission to do that.
Speaker 1: Well, take a break, and then Jesse is going to explain how you can start making art even if you feel as lost as I do with that whole world. So if someone's listening to this, they're interested in art.
Speaker 4: But it's also like how do you start? What do you tell people?
Speaker 1: Like where do you start for inchance, whether it's pottery, weather, whatever, Like what the hell should people do? I find myself in that where I'm like, pottery sounds awesome, but I'm like, how the hell do you start pottery?
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, so you start by starting, And I think the biggest thing is to just say, you know, learning to throw in the wheel is it's it takes a long time. So but working with clay, you can build stuff quicker faster, you can you know, within I just did a workshop in Great Falls with veterans and in a couple of hours you can build a pretty big piece that you can then decorate, but not on the wheel. And so I would say if find you in your local community, community center museum, definitely with ceramics, you're gonna need some infrastructure at kiln now if and then drawing and painting and.
Speaker 5: Stuff like that.
Speaker 6: There's a ton of stuff right that you can find online as resources. But I think one of the great things is to sit around with a couple of friends and to draw and laugh and then have your friend draw on it, because then it takes the pressure off that you have to make something and then you can try to make something funny. That collaborative thing can be a way to do it. That is amazing. The other thing is like going back to my days as a teacher. It's kind of like interval training. Uh, blind contour drawing. If you want to work on your observational drawing skills, look up blind contour drawing.
Speaker 5: It's like where you you.
Speaker 6: So the biggest thing if you want to learn how to observationally draw is that you have to change the way you see because when you look at something, your brain, you know, you can't take in all the information. So your brain takes this quick snapshot and says fuck it, you know, bowl TV. So that's why the initial drawing is like, wow, why does this look so simple? It's like because that's what your brain is telling you. It looks like because you would not just be overwhelmed. So it's really blind conto or drawing shows you how to see the relationship of parts of things because you just look at the piece and you don't move your pencil or your pen and so you're you're having you're building a connection between your hand and your eye moves and your hand moves. You know, you're trying to trace it with your hand as your eye moves around it. So blind contrue or drawing is that kind of got sucked into that.
Speaker 4: That's great, it's a good tip.
Speaker 1: So with when we interviewed that woman I mentioned earlier, the researcher, our final question was what would your one big quote about art be? So now we're throwing that one to you. What is your one big quote about art? If you had to end on one.
Speaker 6: I think I know art is a human need. It's it's a fundamental aspect of who we are now, whether it's dance, whether it's you know, drawing, painting, sculpture, you know, cooking can be you know, decoration, adornment like so, so I think I know that that's a fundamental aspect of who we are. And so when people you know, so back to kind of that art.
Speaker 5: Is healing thing.
Speaker 6: I've known since I've been a little kid that that's the one thing that kind of I can soothe myself with or also destroy myself with. But back to the the soothing myself with by making stuff, by drawing, and I think it's a it's a universal Okay, here's the quote. I think, you know, art is a universal, fundamental aspect art that makes us human. And so every every single person, like I know that you know in your heart something that really fires you up and go for that live music, it can be you know, those things, and that's.
Speaker 5: That's a place where where just the static.
Speaker 6: And the anxiety and the depression and the divisiveness falls away. And that's that's where you kind we get connected to who we are in our environments and other people in and what I believe is a core thing like art is that thread that connects us, you know, to ourselves, to our our environment, to other people. It's just it's the thing that when I came back and when when I was just so angry at our country and the people that sent us to war, the thing that I I had to come up with, why did what?
Speaker 5: Why did I do that?
Speaker 6: It was for the freedom to make our like And that's that's the power of where I stand with it in my heart of like I know to be true.
Speaker 1: That's a wonderful answer, Jesse. I appreciate you coming on. Man, this is really cool with the chat, dude, this is this is great.
Speaker 5: Keep up the good work man.
Speaker 1: Thanks for checking out the show, and thanks to Daisy and Jesse for jumping on. Daisy's book is Art Cure, and you can find Jesse's work on Instagram.
Speaker 4: It's absolutely amazing. Check it out.
Speaker 1: As always, do not forget to hit subscribe and leave us a review. That definitely helps the show and that'll help you get those updates. It's right when the episodes drop. Check out the iHeart video app if you want to watch it on that and as always, half on, don't die and make some art Glas