Speaker 1: Welcome to Wired to Hunt's rutfresh Radio, bringing you the latest reports from the whitetail Woods, presented by First Light, creating proven versatile hunting apparel for the stand, saddle or blind. First Light Go farther, stay longer, and now your hosts Case Smith and Tyler Jones.
Speaker 2: This is rutfresh Radio and I'm your host Tyler Jones. This week we hear from hunters around the country who saw the benefits of a cold front and are working to understand native vegetation versus agriculture, how and when the deer relating to both, and what will happen in the next week.
Speaker 3: This is rutfresh. Let's go.
Speaker 2: This is rutfresh, brought to you by first Light Gear. I'm your host Tyler Jones. Case Smith's in the house with me too, hosting this thing. And we have been working hard the last week in Texas, of all places. Case, why would you work hard in a place that's as hot as Texas in the middle of October.
Speaker 3: Tyler's just sometimes some people work hard and that's just what they do, even whenever it doesn't benefit that much. Yeah, you know what I mean. So maybe we should work less, but in fact, I don't know, man, I just don't think that's how we're wired. And tell you the truth, hard work doesn't always mean success, but it is a better way to find success than to just sit around, so you can get out and find some new stuff out, figure out your own little place in this world sometimes. You know, it's it's pretty conventional thought that the rut in Texas is later than the Midwest. However that's not always the case. Texas is huge, Texas is huge, huge, huge, and uh, you know, they're there's a lot of different ruts in Texas. We've talked about it on our podcast quite a bit over the years, and I mean we've got ruts from what September to you know, mid to late December that that's and that's like that is not just like saying that the deer ruddy, but that's saying like that is the absolute rage of the rut, you know what I mean, that's that is the time that they are chasing the best week of the year. It goes from I mean, there's just a huge range because we've got a big coast, and we've got desert mountains that look like Mexico, and we've got the high planes, carbl mountain white tails. Michael Wadell showed a big one of those one time, did he? Yeah, sure enough. That's when I learned that that existed. Really yep from Michael Wadell. Michael Wadell, what a guy. He knows some stuff. Man, He's been there, seen that.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: I want to target from him. One time.
Speaker 2: They did one of those caption this best caption wins a target and uh, you know that dice block out there, that's the one on that I said white l for President. Anyway, So yeah, what you were saying, though, and I guess probably what you're leading to, is that there are some ruts going on right now, and you and I decided to travel a little ways recently do some different things, and I actually went hunting on some public land and in one night might have had something go my way. We'll talk more about that on our podcast, the Element podcast, later on. But the fact of the matter is this is Rut Fresh Radio and we are talking about a rut going on in Texas right now. We hadn't really been able to talk about ruts anywhere, I don't think, on this podcast yet this year, and there were some ruddy ruddy things happening. And in fact, it was a cold front day, which I alluded to earlier in the intro of this podcast that guys are finding some success on cold fronts. We had a cold front day that coincided with a certain areas maybe beginning of its rut, and the things happened, and we saw the trail cameras light up. We were noticing like raccoons in the middle of the day walking around and just the open and that's how you know, man, the animals were moving, they were feeling frisky. It's like that first day of football practice when there's a little north wind and it's finally not ninety five. Just everybody's in a better mood and everybody wants to run around, you know, on the football field. And that's the way it is in the woods. And that was the day that that happened. It was a it was a pretty fun day. So anyway, you went and did some stuff in a different area where there's a different.
Speaker 3: Rut and there's no ruddy stuff happening, no ready stuff. So I was and yeah, there's a lot of curves. Man, I'm ready for the spring out there. You'll if you follow what we do is the element. You'll see a lot of videos coming from this particular property that we got access to up in the Panhandle. I went up and did a bunch of prep work there, and it's about eight hundred acres and I saw one rub which was nice to see. But we did see some deer a few doos around. There's a wheat plot planted dirt though there's nothing coming up any yet, so they need a little moisture. I'm out there. But yeah, So it's like the regionality of things was very apparent to me this week because we can be, you know, in the oaks and pines and potentially be seeing some deer doing some snooping, and then you go out there and nah, yeah, so you know, I'm not this is kind of a joke around here. But I'm not a big moon guy, you know. Yeah, I'm not much of a mooner, as they say. But I do think that potentially, I kind of think just like the lunar cycle with specifically according to the light that the moon provides makes a difference. I don't think that the deer, this is my personal opinion. I don't think that the deer feeling the pull of the moon, like a tide on the ocean does or anything like that, and it makes them get out of bed or whatever. But I think that and this kind of goes across all animals that are kind of that crepuscular type. Cruppuscular I think those are early in that it is. But anyways, I think that when you have a full moon, deer can do stuff all night long, and it actually is pretty similar movement to a new moon, which was means no moon. But when you have these half moons, you'll have a lot of moonlight, either early in the evening or early in the morning, you know what I mean, Like either side of the midnight, you'll have more light, and it kind of effects what you're going to see with deer movement for the next morning of the next evening. So I think that this past week we were experiencing some of that where right now you have just a little fingernail, so there's just not a lot difference. But before that, I think that there was a little bit of that whole The moon's hanging in the morning, so you're gonna see some stuff. But anyways, that kind of all goes back to say, where I didn't see a lot of activity out there, because I think there's a lot of deer doing stuff at night because yeah, they don't have a reason to get out because it's no rut. There's no bucks cruising or doing anything. And we didn't even see you know, I drove a good portion of the state yesterday evening in dear time, you know, and I didn't see any bucks on their feet. Yeah, so things are still. The best is yet to come. Still, that's encouraging.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: You talk about this some, but like you get to like November eighteenth or nineteenth, and you can feel real depressed because it's like, oh, the thing has came and went. But that's not the case. And we'll talk more about that as the year progresses. And that's kind of what rutfresh is about, is to give you the up to today information as to what's going on in your neck of the woods right now. So, Tyler, who do we have today on refresh Man.
Speaker 2: We've got the gamut, We've got people in all the different corners of the US as much as possible.
Speaker 3: At least.
Speaker 2: We've got Chris Nickerson. He's up in Maine, which he refers to as a place that's called South Canada. We got Mike Hunsucker from Harlan bow Hunter. He's been hunting in Missouri, had some success there, got some good a good report for US, Tyler Jorden and Georgia out there in Georgia. And then Graham Cronin from Vortex. He is a Wisconsin guy who is you know, a knowledgeable white tail hunter in what potentially is the greatest white tail state that there's ever been.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you look at Boone Crockett right in that wild yep, Buffalo County. It was a question on media or trivia the other day and I got it wrong because I just had the brain block thing. But it's like the top county for Boone Crockett in records. And it's like, I don't think of Wisconsin as in my top five for white tail states, but it is. It's because of your so called propaganda probably it's also it really is a reflection of like my geographic location, you know, like there's and it's because there's a lot of good stuff to drive through to get to wisc. Consin that dude, it is hard. But if you're you know, from you know, Michigan, you might think differently. Yeah, that's right, man, Mark Marcus. All right, anyways, enough of what I got to say. You got some good stuff to say. But let's see what these guys have to say. I've got Chris Nickerson. He's up in Maine right now. Chris, what's going on?
Speaker 6: Hey, man, I'm doing uh actually, just took a quick break here.
Speaker 5: I was doing some scouting this morning.
Speaker 6: Half my morning set, and I am sitting on a nice piece of granted in between two cornfields.
Speaker 3: Right now, man, is that where the bucks are sitting?
Speaker 5: There are zero.
Speaker 3: Bucks here in the state. You know, at least somewhere around there.
Speaker 5: We've got some good bucks in the state. They're just fewer far Petral.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's cool, man. I'd love to go up there, but you know, it's about near, like going to a different country from Texas.
Speaker 6: So I jokingly tell my friends in the south this is They ask where I'm from.
Speaker 5: I say South Canada.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I feel like there's some Canada that south of you there, but I'm not.
Speaker 5: Sure they're actually for sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So what are the deer doing right now? Man?
Speaker 5: I'll be honest, it's pretty tough.
Speaker 6: Right now.
Speaker 5: The deer are doing not a lot of anything.
Speaker 4: We've got a lot.
Speaker 6: I'm having a friend's farm here that I've got access to, you know, between four and five hundred acres.
Speaker 5: We've got cameras and very diverse parts of this.
Speaker 6: Farm, and we're getting absolutely no day like pictures of even dose right now. It's very tough. Yeah, it's very very little movement right now. So I've been on five sits so far on my trip up here and have not had any activity at all. So it's gonna be a tough one for me here.
Speaker 3: So but you're getting some night photos. I guess we are.
Speaker 6: I recently the last night got on a nice scrape line, got a medium sized buck coming out.
Speaker 3: But it's all.
Speaker 6: Between mid nine four a m of everything we're getting right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, it's crazy. But if you travel to hunt medium sized bucks or shooters a lot of times, you know.
Speaker 6: Uh, if this guy shows himself with dinglight, I'm probably gonna have a hard time resisting.
Speaker 5: So yeah, gantee your conditions anyways.
Speaker 2: Yeah, are you so or any of you've got cameras over scrapes? Do you have them over any cornfields or anything like that?
Speaker 6: We do, We've got We've got a few on some cornfield, edges that brown up against in alfalfa field that's split down the middle. We've got you know, deep in the wounds on the fields, some heavy travel paths. You know, we've got a pretty diverse the camera.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, okay, So but you're seeing that pictures, you you're assuming those deer are betting somewhere, but you're having trouble, I guess locating the betting.
Speaker 5: I am.
Speaker 6: And there's a there's such a diverse terrain here and in this part of Man that you've got everything from really swampy, you know, creek beds to higher areas with you know a lot of hardwoods, and locating buckbeds is very tough. I've only found one in the last five days here, so it's it's it's a challenge.
Speaker 2: Are the Do you think any of those hardwoods are creating problems as far as like dropping a bunch of feeder right now?
Speaker 5: That's actually something I've been looking for today.
Speaker 6: I've I've spent a good majority of today walking since I got out of my morning set looking for some some acorns, and I've even had a tough time locating anything like that.
Speaker 5: It seems that most of the deer here are just browsing and.
Speaker 6: Gainings, and everything is chewed off all the top, You're chewed off everywhere to go.
Speaker 5: It's almost like they're just constantly and it's a tough it's.
Speaker 6: Challenged to find a solid food source you.
Speaker 3: Can pattern off.
Speaker 2: I got you, Okay, So I guess you know going forward into the next week, you know, what's the weather going to be like up there? Is there any Is there any hope?
Speaker 6: This weekend it's actually gonna warm up, which is not what you want to see. We've done pretty steadily in the you know, highs of fifty eight to sixty which hasn't been terrible, and it's been very consistent weather, so.
Speaker 5: Nothing's really changing.
Speaker 6: And it's actually gonna warm up just to tad this weekend into probably sixty two sixty three degrees, which is what you want to see, but not a crazy change, but not not exactly the right direction I'd like to see either.
Speaker 2: Is it is it worth looking at water sources when it gets hotter like that?
Speaker 3: This time?
Speaker 6: Up up here, there's so much water that it's really not an issue. And all there's water almost every way you turn around.
Speaker 3: Here, gotcha? Okay?
Speaker 2: So uh, with the with the attempts warming up, I guess, and then maybe you know, you know what what's ideal is like when you get that warmer weather and then if you're able to hunt the cold front on the backside of that thing, especially as we get later in October, you know, that could be really good. You know, what would you be doing in the next seven days or so based off of weather or photo period or whatever.
Speaker 5: For me, I think at this point, I would just continue.
Speaker 6: To do a little bit of what I'm starting to do today is trying to locate a little bit more of a.
Speaker 4: Solid food source.
Speaker 5: Because I think even with the weather change, I think right now food is king. They know winter's coming and preparing for that.
Speaker 6: I think these bigger bucks, like the one, the ones I'm chasing, they've got a food source somewhere that I just haven't gotten onto yet. These ag fields are kind of being picked clean. The corn's kind of on its way out. There's not a lot out here, so they're not really showing themselves in the field. So I think, like you mentioned, you know, getting on some acorns, food sources like that that are a little bit more rich in protein.
Speaker 5: I think that's kind of where it's at.
Speaker 3: Gotcha?
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, in this next week, if you were to make an assumption about buck movement on a scale of one to ten, what would you rate that buck movement as?
Speaker 6: I think I'm gonna be real honest and give it probably, you know, smack in the middle of four and a half of five. I don't think you're too much movement. I think that's been been fair and I do think there's gonna be much changes. So I think a solid four and after five is where it's going to be.
Speaker 2: Hey, well, Chris, I appreciate the report, man, and all the information.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: I like it when you know people people talk fast on here because we can get a lot done in five minutes, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: So I appreciate it. Man, Thanks for everything, and I hope you have a great season anytime.
Speaker 5: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Now on the phone, I've got Michael Hunsucker from Heartland bow Hunter. Michael, what's going on, man?
Speaker 3: Not much?
Speaker 4: Just in the archery shop getting getting some new bows set up.
Speaker 3: Oh really? How about sure? That's cool? You your your current bon won't shoot good enough? True?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I had to just it's just fine. But I'm always tinkering.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, man, you are.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what. I sent you this message on Instagram of the day. But uh, you you know you shot a buck recently and you hit him real good and you usually do. Is that is the archery stuff? Just a three sixty five for you always doing that?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, I mean I live and breathe up for sure, but I mean definitely don't always always hit them exactly where you want to hit them. Actually had a couple experiences last year where you just hit him just a little bit, a little bit off that spot and it can make.
Speaker 4: A world of difference.
Speaker 7: So that's kind of cool about archery hunting though, is you know I'm still learning. I've been doing this a long time and still learning every every day.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a big challenge man. Well, so the cats out of the bag. You shot a deer year in Missouri and he's a nice buck. I saw the I guess like POV footage, but it looked like the deer was coming into food, Is that correct?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 7: What what little food was there? We had a brutal, brutal year for food plots, but yeah, he was coming to a green, green plot.
Speaker 3: Gotcha, so brutal because of drought.
Speaker 7: Yep, brutal because of the drought and just just horrible drought and just really high high late summer temperatures.
Speaker 2: So is that would you say that the green food sources are performing better than like the grain right now?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Absolutely, it seems like acorns and green food sources of the play gotcha.
Speaker 2: So I know it looked like you've been hunt that deer a little bit and had some encounters with him so far. Was it all in the same area or is he doing different things?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 7: He was really tight to an area and really wasn't moving much honestly at all in daylight.
Speaker 5: I mean I knew exactly where he was betted.
Speaker 7: And had a couple of encounters with him. Previous one had an in bow range after dark. Well it was legal light, so I could illegally shot him, but I didn't feel comfortable taking the shot twenty five yards even. And then I had a couple other encounters with him, once where kyote spooked him and he got got away, but he was in bow range, So I had him in bo range twice before I finally killed him. O man, And I did see him a third time off off in the distance, but all three times were within one hundred and fifty two hundred.
Speaker 4: Yards to circle radius.
Speaker 3: Wow, what kind of vegetation is he betting in?
Speaker 7: He's actually bedded in. It's almost like kind of swamp swampy type stuff. It's below a pond and big cottonwoods, but then tons of native grass and really tall grasses, so it's a it's a thick area. It's you know, sometimes deer like the bed up on ridgetops where they have high visibility and they you know, utilize the wind in their favor. This buck was just holding up.
Speaker 3: And he was smart, gotcha.
Speaker 2: So it looked like to me in the video when he came into the field, he kind of was doing some frisky stuff. Was he feeling the right at all, you think, or was it just something different?
Speaker 7: I don't know. I mean that cold snap had him all kind of feeling a little bit frisky. They little bucks were sparring.
Speaker 4: This buck. He jumped a.
Speaker 7: Fence and there was a couple of the deer in the plot, so he was approaching them. But I think more than anything, it was just his just his getting his big body over those logs and jumping the fence. You know, he had his momentum.
Speaker 3: Going yeah, yeah, I did, man, that's cool.
Speaker 7: So I was anticipating him just you know, going to slow down, stop start feeding, but he just kept on trotting, so I'd actually stop him, which I you know, I don't like to do unless you have to.
Speaker 2: You you got that soft grunt, stop down, man, you gotta yeah, you got to stop them with the softest grunt you can get them with usually, because if you don't, they're gonna get real tense, real quick, you know.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, I feel like that every situation is a little different with that. You know that one worked with the soft grunt. Last year, I had one of those crunching through leaves and you could have yelled at the begining to stop. So it's just you never you never know.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep, that's right man. Well, So in the next week or so, do you expect to still be able to shoot deer on green food sources or are things going to change?
Speaker 3: You think?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I think so.
Speaker 7: I mean I think if you have good green food sources and they're not and they're not like just locked in on some a orange dropping, I think that they're usually the key Clover, Nebraska's turn ups that type of stuff. But it really just kind of depends. And you know this this next week coming up, we've had some nice little cold snaps here and there. It looks like we got one coming up on Thursday. It's kind of cool off a little bit, but after that gets back up into the warm, warmer temperatures mid seventies, and so that's going to really slow things back down.
Speaker 2: M hm. So if you were looking forward to say the next seven days or so, if you had to predict what Buck movement would be on a scale of one to ten based off those variables you talked about, what would you what would you put it at.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna say I'm gonna put it probably like a six, six or seven. It's not not looking great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's a if we can get a front though after that and that timing will work out really well. I feel like where that you know, last part of October and first part of November is going to really be on fire. So that's it's exciting that that's the that's the potential in the next couple of weeks, you know.
Speaker 7: Yeah, absolutely, I mean, very vary into in the weather is key. I mean, you can't just if it was just cool, you know, for weeks on end, you know, it wouldn't be as powerful as when it's warm in the boom it drops out and then just just really triggers them.
Speaker 2: Absolutely well. I appreciate it, Mike. I look forward to seeing the full video on that deer at some point, and I hope you guys have a great rest of your season.
Speaker 5: Thanks buddying you too.
Speaker 2: All right, on the phone, I've got Tyler Jordy from Real Tree. Tyler, it's crazy. We just got on the phone with each other for the first time, never met, and we're best friends.
Speaker 8: I know, we're best friends, and you're coming to an old mess game next weekend.
Speaker 4: But that's how good are friends. We just became.
Speaker 2: I feel at a lot of peer pressure right now. Man, Well man, what's been going on. I know you've been hunting a little bit. Has it been pretty good?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, it's been pretty good.
Speaker 8: You know, the last four or five days I would say, have been definitely better, probably the best it's been, you know, up to this point in the you know, in the season. And you know, my little brother shot a buck last Sunday, and you know, for Youth Weekend with a rifle, So really excited about that, and you know, just trying to take advantage of that first cold front. You know, that's really kind of my favorite time to hunt is when you have those first you know, two or three days and it gets you know, cooler weather.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 8: So it was happy for for Colton that we were able to get a good solid eight pointer on the ground and you know, have another big deer that we're trying to hunt. But uh, you know, unfortunately, I think the weather's really going to warm up later this week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you you and Colton shot this deer. What was he doing?
Speaker 4: He actually came into a food plot.
Speaker 8: You know, we were we were hunting this food plot where this deer we've seen him in several times. You know, he's been on camera and I will say he has not really been daylight at all. Uh, but you know, we just kind of went in there thinking, man, you know, take advantage of this cooler weather. And then the first thing he did when he entered the food plot, he came in and checked the scrape and we got all that on camera and hopefully we'll put that up here, you know, sometime soon on on our you know, road trip show. But came in there checked the scrape, and you know he was kind of, you know, bumping doze just a little bit. You know, they were feeling a little bit frisky with his cooler weather. But yeah, that's kind of what he was doing when he came in.
Speaker 2: Man, that's cool. So this is a green food source, I'm guessing right, yes, bid Cloverfield. Okay, And was this a mock scrape or had this been put up set up by the deer.
Speaker 4: No, this has been set up by the deer.
Speaker 2: Oh cool man. So as far as you know other food sources, have you seen deer hitting any acrons or anything like that, any oak trees or Yeah.
Speaker 8: So that's been the primary, you know, food source, I would say over the last probably two weeks, Tyler is you know, I feel like that's what a lot of these deer are doing. They've been a little bit just more reclusive. You know, there's just plenty of cover and food. I mean, I walked around today, you know, trying to pick up this bigger bug that I've been trying to hunt since really the beginning of the season. And I mean everywhere you walk, I don't think I've ever seen an acron drop like this. I mean, we just got a bunch of red and white oaks kind of falling everywhere, and which makes it, you know a little bit difficult, especially with the weather you know warming up right now. Is you know, just kind of really honing in on exactly what to do. So, you know, we found an acorn flat today and I put a camera up and you know, we'll see kind of what happens. But it definitely seems like hardwoods and timber is really where you want to be right now.
Speaker 2: Sure, So how important is the cold weather to that success you had this week?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I would say it's kind of everything.
Speaker 8: You know, I'm probably like I've even kind of contemplated as much as I do want to go in there and hunt these these hardwoods. Over the next you know, three or five days, it's going to be in the upper seventies, and I just don't know if I want to do more harm than good. So, you know, I really think we're going to need that colder weather, and I don't really know if we're going to get that. You know, it looks like the twenty ninth and thirtieth I kind of have circled right now.
Speaker 4: You know, the weather is going to be in the.
Speaker 8: Lower sixties, you know for highs, and you know, for us, that's pretty cool weather, you know, because I I think tomorrow next day, you know, it's going to be seventy seven, seventy eight, and you know, just my experience, after that first kind of cold front, the weather goes back that warm. You know, that's that's kind of what I refer to a little bit as that October lowll kind of dead period.
Speaker 3: Sure, so in your region of Georgia, when is the rut in your opinion.
Speaker 8: You know, I would say, like somewhere like November eighth to like the fourteenth, I would say, that's probably when it's you know, really starting to pop off.
Speaker 3: Gotcha.
Speaker 2: So even even with that cold weather at the end of the month here that you don't expect it to be just a ten out of ten going until maybe two weeks later.
Speaker 4: Or so, I would say.
Speaker 8: So, I mean, and that's kind of what I'm banking on, at least for this particular buck that we're hunting, and you know, for a couple of other ones we have targeted. You know, I'm I'm probably more looking forward to the first of November. You know that that's just kind of where like my head, my head is right now unless something just drastically changes, you know, I mean.
Speaker 4: Not this say, I don't have any hope at all.
Speaker 8: Obviously going to go in there and try to maximize whatever opportunity we can, but you know, kind of looking forward to the rut.
Speaker 2: So you know, if things, if things cool back down after we get this warm, kind of stagnant stretch here, would you change anything about what you're like the way you're hunting, So as far as you know you guys killed near a scrape on a green field, would you would you change anything if we were closer to the end of the month when the weather came in.
Speaker 8: Uh, you know, I mean I would probably look at maybe getting a little bit closer to some of the bedding, you know, at least at least in my situation where I think this buck is like he's not really getting to any of these green fields or any of the have like some standing corn fields, and we've cut a portion of it. And like I said on it last night, and you know, didn't see but one deer the whole night, and I could see a long ways. I think you know, if we had that cold front come in again, I would just try to in the distance a little bit more. And that's something I may not try, you know, two, three, four days in a row. I may just try it once or twice and if it works, it works. But you know, what I'm what I would like to do is to get a lot closer to their to their bedding area. Up to this point, I feel like I've been, you know, real.
Speaker 4: Protective of that.
Speaker 8: But if I feel like if I have a good wind, good weather, you know, that's something I'll probably try to do different than I haven't done yet.
Speaker 2: Sure, so in the next week or so, what do you think the buck movement is going to be? Based on a scale of one to ten? What number would you get it? Give it?
Speaker 8: You know that this probably is going to sound a little bit low, but I you know, i'd.
Speaker 4: Probably say even four.
Speaker 3: Yeap, good. You know That's that which is kind of where I'm at.
Speaker 2: Everybody's got, you know, get got these optimistic you know, expectations, and I'm I'm I try to be an optimist too, but you know, sometimes you just got to be real with yourself and say, Okay, these are work days. These aren't hunting days, you know what I mean. Yeah, so, and that's just previous experience. And that's not to say it's not going to be really good for anybody else. Obviously, nobody hold me to that rating in Georgia when they send me a picture of a john, because I hope it happens for everybody. You know, after that first kind of cold snap, it just that October lowll at least for us.
Speaker 4: I mean, it seems to hit.
Speaker 8: And you know, not to say you don't get a couple of really good days in there, of some good weather you can take advantage of and hunt, but you know, with the weather warming up, I'm just not overly optimistic.
Speaker 4: But again, you never know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: Well, Tyler, I appreciate what what you've done, you and your dad have done for the hunting community man, and I appreciate you taking my call, and I hope that that big buck you're hunting gives you a chance here in the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 4: I appreciate it, Tyler, to look forward to doing it again.
Speaker 2: On the phone, I've got Graham cronin from Vortex. He's up in Wisconsin. Graham, what's the weather like up there right.
Speaker 9: Now, Hey, Tyler, thanks for having me. Man, sure pretty consistent. You know, the past couple of days here just kind of kind of lingering between that like mid fifties to low sixties. It looks like it's going to be that way for a couple of days here now.
Speaker 2: So that's that's what a lot of people are seeing right now. I think across the country we kind of have this like it's not a terrible weather, but it's a stagnant weather pattern, and you know, it's kind of made for a lot of tough hunting conditions. Is are you seeing the same thing or do you're moving pretty good around you?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I would say for the most part seeing the same thing. Kind of that real stigment weather. It just really doesn't have them doing too much where we've kind of looked out. In the past week, we had a couple of rain spells where it lasted for about two to three days, and then hunting that break. I know a lot of people that have had success and like people seeing their cameras blow up with bucks hitting scraps. So even though it is that stagnant, whether you know, trying to find those different opportunities that are going to get a move and so whether it's wind switches, you know, looking for those rain conditions, I think you can still beretty sucessful this time of year with.
Speaker 2: That, even Yeah, what what would you focus on if you had a rain shower one day? What would you when you go out to hunt? What are you going to look at hunting?
Speaker 9: Oh, man, I would be this time of year. I'm looking at oak flats and I am trying to find scrapes. Yeah, if I can find a scrape that looks like it's been worked, you know, in the past year or two, you know, depending on what that rain looked like, find one that looks like it's pretty fresh, because as soon as that rain stops, I would expect the buck to probably be freshen them that up.
Speaker 3: So white oaks, red oaks, what are you looking at?
Speaker 4: A lot of whites bund me this year. So I've been hunting those primarily, gotcha.
Speaker 2: So this is this is the kind of million dollar question here for a lot of people who are talking about white oaks. But have you found any way to really focus in on this is why this oak tree is the place to be as opposed to all the other Maybe hundreds of oak trees in the woods, which maybe it's not that way, but a lot of places that have white oaks, you know, there's a bunch of them, So how do you focus on one?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean really it's for me.
Speaker 9: I haven't found a specific reason of, you know, why this tree is doing better.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm sure there's a reason out there.
Speaker 9: I'm not a tree guy, yeah, so I don't have that answer, but I am a deer guy. So I'm just looking for the deer sign around those trees. So it's just trying to figure out, you know, where those deer are, kind of where they're coming from, where they're going to.
Speaker 2: And then going off of that, would you say what percentage of the acorns have fallen off of those of those trees generally speaking right now?
Speaker 4: Ooh, that'd be tough. I'd say probably majority of them.
Speaker 9: There's still a lot lingering on, but I would say probably in that sixty to seventy percent range.
Speaker 2: So in the next week, would you change what you're gonna do or would you still stay with you know, scrapes on oak flats?
Speaker 4: I would probably stick.
Speaker 9: You know, it's in the next seven days, it's probably it looks pretty much the same, you know, that kind of fifties sixties degree temps, but just outside.
Speaker 4: Of that range.
Speaker 9: You know, we're looking you know that eighth day, we're going to get another ring spell for a couple of days. So I think it'd still be hitting that in the strategy of you know, getting in there, finding those screeps and hunting them because you know, even on cameras, you're starting to see bucks freshening those up more and more frequently.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you think that there is a definite increase in testosterone happening right now the deer is starting to to check and really get ready and ramp up towards that rut. Or is it still a lot of night movement or is that day is going to be some day movement in there.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean you're starting to just get on the fringe of that day movement. I mean, you know, looking at my small sample size of the cameras that I got out, like within the past four or five days, you're starting to see a lot of those two and a.
Speaker 4: Half three and a half year old bucks start hitting those screeps.
Speaker 9: I mean I've had some that are definitely been in legal light but still kind of like right on the fringe.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I would.
Speaker 9: Say it's probably not too long from now where you see those big boys getting up and start moving a lot more.
Speaker 3: Too, gotcha.
Speaker 2: So in the next week, in the next seven days or maybe even eight, we'll cheat a little bit here, are you I mean, are you thinking that the deer movement or I guess let's just say, is the buck movement going to increase or is it going to be about the same?
Speaker 9: I would say in the in the near future, it's gonna be about the same, but kind of like hitting that seven day mark, I'm going to see a big increase just with the time of year. You know, we're going into late October here, we're getting that ring spell and you know they're starting to think about things.
Speaker 4: So I would say it's definitely trending up.
Speaker 2: So let's HiPE people up a little bit on the seventh or eighth day. From this point on, on scale of one to ten, what do you think the buck movement is going to be like on that seventh or eighth day, I'm.
Speaker 9: Gonna put it at a strong just even from what we saw with this last ring movement and just knowing that you know, we're obviously getting closer to November. I'm gonna put it like a six and a half seven. I think you're gonna on a good movement.
Speaker 3: Man, that's awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So that's exciting, you know, and things just get better from this point on for a while. So, uh, it's a good time to be in the woods. I appreciate the information and the report, Graham from Wisconsin, and hopefully thanks paying out for you. Like last year where you said when you were on retfresh last year, I think the day it dropped, you shot a buck, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I'm really hoping that this happens again for me.
Speaker 3: All Right.
Speaker 2: We'll try to make it work for you. So just let me know and I'll release this thing whenever the weather's right for you.
Speaker 4: Perfect. Yeah, if you can just plan accordingly, that'd.
Speaker 3: Be creating perfect all right, Graham. I appreciate it, man.
Speaker 5: He appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Ty to take care.
Speaker 3: I hope that you've found all of that encouraging or at least informative so that you can make the best decisions this fall chasing big giant whitetail bucks and if you want to get more detail about how to chase big giant whitetail bucks, or the stories behind some of the big giant whitetail bucks that say Tyler Jones may or may not have encountered an arrowed. You should go check out the Element podcast. It's the landing place for all of our stories and experiences. We don't like to count ourselves as experts, but we're guys a lot of experience and pursue that experience. We try to get out in the woods as much as we can. I get tired of answering emails. I'm here to hunt, guys, So go listen to the Element Podcast. If you haven't, there'll be a link for that down in the description below. Also the entire Buck Truck saga, the what would you call seven things grouped together? It's not a trilogy, it's not. I don't know. I only know up to six. I think I think seven is like the prefix sex. Isn't it like six six sixonomy? That might be kind of I don't know. Don't google that, but anyways, the entire buck Truck series of seven has released on the Element YouTube channel. If you want to find all that in one location, you go watch it there. We appreciate it. It helps us out a lot if you go view there. And also we had a lot of fun in Nebraska this year and Tyler and I both had some success there. And Tyler's hunt shall release on the Element YouTube channel soon. We're not sure what day, so go subscribe and hit the notifications button so you can be known whenever that goes out as well.
Speaker 2: Also, Tony Peterson, you guys are familiar. He read an article about hunting scrapes during the October OWLD. Might be handy for some of you guys who are trying to get it done right now. And Season twelve of Meat Eater is releasing on YouTube currently, so.
Speaker 3: Lots of stuff to look at. Guys.
Speaker 2: We appreciate you listening this week and going over to the Element and listen to that podcast as well. Remember keep it fresh. This is Reugh Fresh.