Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This is Mick shot streaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys at now Here are Bill Jones, Savannah Humoller, Everson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 2: Well, here it is.
Speaker 4: It is. What day is this? I know it's Thursday first, it's the twenty first, not quite Christmas. It's four days before Christmas. I was counting to Christmas. I wasn't counting the game day. I'm counting down the days to Christmas. And so here it is Thursday, and there are football players on a football field. Christmas has come early. We actually can watch players on the field today.
Speaker 5: Unfortunately we don't have a window.
Speaker 6: We can't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the first break, Mickey will be sneaking outside and letting us know, well what players are on that foot.
Speaker 5: There's all you need to know is Zach is doing better, he said, And Tyron they'll see on Saturday.
Speaker 4: That was the alarming thing on the injury report on Wednesday. It's not that Tyron missed practice. He did not participate in practice. Is no big deal because to the side it says veteran rest day, but when it says back next to him, then that's a concern.
Speaker 5: And evidently it happened in the game. So we'll have to wait till Saturday. The game he finished, a game, he finished, and then for Zach Martin, he said he thought he'd do.
Speaker 2: A little bit more today. So we'll see where that one goes.
Speaker 5: But you mentioned they would be on the practice field and it'll be their last padded practice.
Speaker 2: And I can't.
Speaker 5: Remember if they give you extra for the playoffs. The gut rightsume at least one a.
Speaker 4: Week, especially when you get the first round by yeah, so it's a short week next week and then yeah, and that's what he was talking about in the press conference.
Speaker 5: They asked him about you know this time of year, and he goes, well, he said it makes it tough because and his reference was, you've got Christmas coming up after the game, and it's a short week to Saturday. So I think he might be implying that they might have to do something on Monday.
Speaker 4: The coaches are going to be doing something right Monday, and you know maybe that the players, well, you're getting back at after midnight, right, Yeah, so they'll have it around.
Speaker 5: They'll have Monday off, but then you got you got Tuesday.
Speaker 4: Tuesday will be like Wednesday, right Thursday, and so they're like Friday, and then you're playing on Saturday. So just be fortunate. You feel fortunate that Christmas Day happens to fall on Monday this year and you can spend it. The players can spend it with family, but the coaches can spend the first part of Christmas morning if if with their families.
Speaker 5: Well, they'll spend all day Saturday preparing for Detroit. And uh, from a I mean practice standpoint, you know, on Mondays they don't practice, but they come in and they watch film and they do their running and get their lift.
Speaker 4: They got to make up that on Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you want which is.
Speaker 4: Basically and the way they've been handling Wednesdays here recently has been the later practice. That's what they're gonna do.
Speaker 5: I've already seen the schedule, that's what they're going to do. So uh, yeah, you got to work around it. And so it's not ideal that the next game's on a Saturday, and I would imagine the following Monday, so that's.
Speaker 2: New Year's Day.
Speaker 7: They're probably coming in and then it's still right now the flex if it's on the sixth or the seventh correct for the.
Speaker 2: Washington game, it could be.
Speaker 5: I can't imagine that the Cowboy game will be that important.
Speaker 4: It would likely stay where it is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because it has to they have if there's something on the line, they have to play at the same time the.
Speaker 2: Eagles play mm hmm, and the Eagles are.
Speaker 4: Playing the Giants.
Speaker 5: I know that, but I was trying to see on the road time.
Speaker 4: I don't know that.
Speaker 2: They don't have times on the time and day is not set.
Speaker 5: That's not said right, so, but whatever it's said, it'll be at the same time. So so you can't sit there and say, oh, we don't have to.
Speaker 4: Play to both games on the East coast. It's likely to be noon games. Yeah, yeah, what happened with things basically decided maybe not. It's a real good chance it won't be.
Speaker 2: Did you hear Did you hear?
Speaker 5: Mike McDaniel answered that question yesterday. I was trying to print it out so I can read the whole thing, and the printers weren't working.
Speaker 2: Somebody asked them.
Speaker 4: With him, you need you need to hear it. With his delivery is unique.
Speaker 5: I'll paraphrase, and they I asked about this, I was able to write it. So he was asked about the stretch run, and he asked, and the question was, so, what do you think about this stretch run, you know, with so much on the line, you got three games to go.
Speaker 2: And his answer started out with not much. Then he went into this long explanation.
Speaker 5: He goes, all I'm concerned about is the next game, and the next game is Sunday against the Dallas Cowboys, right, and he goes, so that's all, and that's a very good team we have to play. So basically I told the players that if anybody asks you about the stretch run and what's coming up and it has nothing to do with the Dallas Cowboys, I give you clearance with all due respect to tell whoever asked you that to f off. Yeah, with all due respect, it was great and you had to and you're right, his delivery is so good. So the last all due respect, he was like, and all due respect.
Speaker 7: So yesterday in the press conference, somebody asked Mike McCarthy if he had seen hard knocks and just if that gives the Cowboys any type of advantage or anything, and Mike McCarthy he said no, And so last night I get home and I went on a little deep dive into Hard Knocks. I watched four and a half episodes.
Speaker 6: No way, I did.
Speaker 7: I binge watched last night, but I just wanted to see their team, how you know they are just this season, and I didn't realize that they had been filming it since their first it was against the Raiders on November nineteenth. That's when they started filming it in season, and it's obviously week by week right now. So it's actually very interesting to watch last night. Their coaching dynamic with Mike McDaniels extremely interesting.
Speaker 6: He has a very, you know, very interesting coaching dynamic with that team.
Speaker 2: So did you learn anything?
Speaker 6: Not that well, the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: It's gonna help the Cowboys out.
Speaker 7: All I know is they said a lot in the show that his goal was to win all of the games in December, and that was based on the fact that they had lost all four games in December last season, and so it was still kind of haunting McDaniel. So his whole thing was, we need to win in December. So they beat the Commanders and so far this year in December, they beat the Commanders.
Speaker 4: They didn't. They've already failed because they lost to Tennessee.
Speaker 7: And then the following week loses to Tennessee at home. Right, then they won beat the Jets, right, and now you have the Cowboys on the line. So they're aiming to win this game because he wants to win in December.
Speaker 5: And on December thirty first they have Baltimore, so that's.
Speaker 6: Still December, right, So five games.
Speaker 4: Five they got. Well, he better win in January too, that wester game. Right, unless he wins it, wins the next two, then the Big clinches the division without having to beat Buffalo.
Speaker 8: But so.
Speaker 5: When you we talked about Zach and Tyron, Yes, so Miami's injury port Yes, if you saw that three fifths of their offensive line did not practice yesterday. So out was there, left tackle Tarren Armstead.
Speaker 2: Out was there.
Speaker 5: Starting right guard Robert Hunt. And also out was there starting right tackle Austin Jackson. So we'll keep an eye on where that.
Speaker 4: Will give you. I can give you an update as of just the last quarter hour ago practiced. Tyreek Hill returned to practice for the first time since ankle injury. All right, Now, as far as the offensive line goes this is you know you're familiar with Barry Jackson, who covers the team in Miami. Only Hunt, Robert Hunt, and Austin Jackson were not at the portion of practice open to the media today. Kendall Lamb, primarily a left tackle in his career, said he's comfortable playing right tackle if needed. On Sunday, he played at right tackle Sunday for a time after Jackson exited with his oblique injury, and then that was ten minutes ago from Barry Jackson and then seven minutes ago Toronto. Armstead might be the only offensive line starter available against Dallas. He's the left tackle. With Williams and win Connor Williams and Isaiah Winn on injured reserve. We already knew that, and Hunt and Jackson not healthy. Cotton, Iikenberg, Robert Jones, and Lamb if Jackson can't play, would likely fill out the starting group. And that's who started last week the interior offensive line for Miami. Last week against the Jets, they had Lester Cotton, who was an undrafted free agent in twenty nineteen Alabama who they picked up off waivers from Las Vegas last year. He was starting at one guard spot. Liam Eikenberg moved over to play at center, as Connor Williams had been their starting center and was basically one of the highest graded centers in the league this year before he went out with an injury and Eikenberg was playing. He had a boot on one of his feet this past week as he spoke with the media, so he's hobbled but playing. And then Robert Jones was the other starter, and he was an undrafted free agent in twenty twenty one by Miami signed by Miami, so they had two college free agents starting at guard and Eikenberg on one foot, and then their right tackle Jackson has not practicing this week with an oblique injury. Left the game against the Jets with an oblique.
Speaker 5: And seeing he it was the one guy on that offensive line that had started every game, and he just.
Speaker 4: Right and has been playing well enough that they signed him to a three year, thirty six million dollar contract extension on December seventh. Then he goes and gets hurt.
Speaker 5: Then he gets hurt, and Iikenberg has started three games, four games at soer and two games at three games at right guard, so he's played and they're already without win, which is their left guard that started the season one, two, three, four fights, six seven, seven games.
Speaker 4: And Ikenberg was a second round draft pick two years ago right forty second overall pick out of Notre Dame.
Speaker 5: So he even he started one game at left guard and then a bunch at center, and then three at.
Speaker 4: Right, and he right. He was hurt to start the year, missed the first couple of games.
Speaker 2: So they got injury.
Speaker 4: And so that's another reason too. It gets rid of the football so quickly right by design?
Speaker 5: Did did they give an update on the running backs because both of them did not play yesterday.
Speaker 4: Or did not practice?
Speaker 7: Nor Chan it was a vet restda for Matzer and then.
Speaker 2: Is it devon Chan divine Chan?
Speaker 6: I think it was a rust for Waitee.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it says did not practice. And on this official deal here that I have, they've got monstered knee ankle rest So take your pick.
Speaker 2: Was he resting because he was hurt or did he have a knee in an ankle exactly?
Speaker 5: And Tyreek Kill, I think you said he returned.
Speaker 4: To practice to practice defense. E Manuel Ogba is questionable to play this week. Melvioyn Ingram is on their practice squad, by the way, and he could be elevated this week. So they had Ingram and Jason Pierre Paul on their roster and Ingram still with them and could be elevated this week.
Speaker 2: And they had nine guys listed as limited.
Speaker 4: It's December. It is no one's teams go through this.
Speaker 2: Everybody's got something.
Speaker 4: And there's a reason that you look at the top teams in the league that are ten and four or better, there's one common ingredient in those records. Those are healthy quarterbacks. Basically, Yes, think about San Francisco at eleven and three and they've got a healthy brock Party. Baltimore is eleven and three. They've got a healthy Lamar Jackson. Jalen Hurts for the Eagles is healthy dak here and then you've got two of there in Miami healthy with a ten and four record.
Speaker 5: So and the other game of attrition the others for the Cowboys, Hooker did not practice with the ankle and he did not play last week.
Speaker 4: Who was the other one, Jonathan Hankins.
Speaker 5: Hanks is out, Yeah, so that's a high ankle sprain.
Speaker 2: He's not he won't be. He's lucky.
Speaker 4: Well, as much as this team attacks the sea gap in wider I'm thinking Jonathan and Hankins would not be pursuing to the edge, right.
Speaker 2: That was one thing I want to do.
Speaker 4: Well, you look it up and when we come back here on mix shots, So I cannot wait to find out what Mickey just looked up.
Speaker 9: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they.
Speaker 4: Snapped the press guy who looks right, it's not there. He escaped flapped.
Speaker 2: He'll look for a PERNB style.
Speaker 4: Just like football.
Speaker 9: When it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With Blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands, says twenty eleven. They've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 4: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 9: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 4: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 9: Get started at blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 10: We know that juicy, cheesy, grilled to perfection burger sounds amazing, but it does sound like something missing. Pepsi baby the yin to this Burger's Yang burgers and Pepsi go together like well, like burgers and pepsi. This perfect blending of flavors makes every bite of let us, every sesame seed on the bun, and every sip of that crisp refreshing ice cold kola a.
Speaker 6: Journey to fotopia. Burgers better with pepsi, That's what I like.
Speaker 11: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America.
Speaker 6: It's being built.
Speaker 11: Right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 12: Did you know they're responding to one spam call can lead to more? Or that the IRS would never ask for your Social Security number on the fire beat scammers at their own game By subscribing to aa ARP Fraud Watch Network alerts and texts at AARP dot org slash Beat Scammers TX, you can sign up to receive information that helps you recognize and avoid the latest scams. That's aa ARP dot org, slash beat scammers, TX.
Speaker 7: Demit shots, kpost Roofing and Waterproofing, the official roofer of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Okay, we have breaking news from the practice field here at the Star in Frisco. We have rain. They are out there. Oh boy, in the rain.
Speaker 5: There's rain forecast for Sunday too.
Speaker 4: And I was just looking up the forecast for Sunday. You say there's rain, and the forecast for Sunday in Miami, doesn't it. I don't know if it happens this time of the year, but there are certain times of the year, like in the summer months where rains day every single day about threel what would be four to twenty five in the afternoon.
Speaker 7: You're talking about in Miami, Miami, and then it gets a little humid, and then the sun peaks out and then it starts raining again and then you sweat exactly.
Speaker 6: It's just the cycle there.
Speaker 4: So you're saying, there's a I thought I saw.
Speaker 2: A chance of rain.
Speaker 7: Okay, Sunday, Miami, Florida, right, seventy seven degrees win, fourteen miles per hour, humidity, sixty four percent.
Speaker 6: Precipitation chance is fourteen percent.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, so you're telling me there's a chance. There's a chat.
Speaker 4: But and we take the Mike McCarthy show right before his press conference and asked him about the weather because he would know, and he's like, well, yeah, there's a chance of rain, and he is. They're monitoring whether they can. They're going to stay out in it for right now, the football players are still on the football field, and it's more of a drizzle right now. More that the The bigger accomplishment is that media is staying out there shooting practice.
Speaker 2: Are they out there?
Speaker 4: It ain't come running the scurry for the.
Speaker 5: Well, they had practice in Buffalo.
Speaker 4: It rained, yep, So it wasn't seventy seven degrees though.
Speaker 2: No, it was miserable.
Speaker 5: It was a miserable day all around, by the way. So anyway, you mentioned Jonathan Hankins missing, So I was just curious on because he's not like an every down player, and so I was looking and so he missed Buffalo Philadelphia, he got hurt. So if we go back to Seattle, he played twenty seven snaps Washington thirty one, Carolina twenty five Giants eighteen.
Speaker 2: Now, he did.
Speaker 5: Play forty two snaps at Philadelphia when they lost, and then twenty four thirty one. The most he's played, He's had a forty two snap game against the Chargers, in a forty snap game against San Francisco.
Speaker 4: So forty two against Philly and then forty against San Francisco. You said Chargers, Chargers had thirty one.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, that's right, forty San Francisco. The most he's played is fifty seven percent against Arizona. How can he played more against teams that were running all.
Speaker 4: Over him because they had leads and their formation dictated that he's going to be on the field when you fall behind. By now, the Philadelphia game, that is not the case.
Speaker 2: Well neither Arizona either.
Speaker 4: There but Arizona, no, they got they got out to a lead and so yeah, and so they're running the football.
Speaker 2: Oh you meant them right.
Speaker 4: The opposition which dictates why Jonathan Hankins is on the field. It's what formation the other team is in. H and if they are running a two tight end formation, then Jonathan Hankins is going to be on the field. The thirty five snaps against Arizona against the Jets. When the Cowboys blew out the Jets here at home, he was on the field for ten snaps because they're not running the football trying to catch up in that game.
Speaker 2: Or the Giants the first game eighteens.
Speaker 4: Huh yeah.
Speaker 5: So anyway, the way these teams are attacking the Cowboys, it's on the edge, not up the middle. So now San Francisco got him a lot up the middle and he ended up playing forty snaps. So anyway, look, I just don't you know, it just seemed like some people were giving him an excuse on the running game because he didn't play. It certainly didn't help that he wasn't there, but I don't think he was the total answer for why the biggest difference gave up to make sixty six yards rushing?
Speaker 4: And what did Dan Quinn indicate The biggest difference.
Speaker 5: Was talked about tackling tackling tackling?
Speaker 4: Was it twelve miss tackles?
Speaker 2: I thought I heard seventeen.
Speaker 4: Okay, it was like a scene, but by the they hadn't finished counting the miss tackles by the time Dad Quid talked.
Speaker 7: To the media on Monday, they were still did you ask how many tackles that we missed against Buffaloes seventeen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, there you go. She got my notes for me.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna I'm just going to send you a copy.
Speaker 2: It's a little bit better than my.
Speaker 4: Memory, right, so that has to improve.
Speaker 5: Yeah, for sure, I would like to go back and just look at what they count as miss tackles because I saw a lot.
Speaker 2: Of guys running free.
Speaker 4: It's like, so is it a mistackle if you don't touch the player you take the Seriously, I'm serious, you take the wrong and you take the wrong angle, you don't even get close enough to even get a hand on him. But is that still a mistackle from a defensive standpoint? Obviously from offense he sign but from different That's why usually after the coaches grade the film, there are more mistackles than what some neutral observer in the press box says there is because the coach knows what that player was supposed to do on that play, takes it a missed assignment turns into a quote unquote misstackle because you took the wrong route to lot of play or whatever.
Speaker 5: So the guys lined up wrong on the fan brought up the the speed that teams have beat the Cowboys with and they brought up ron Dale Moore.
Speaker 2: In the Arizona game.
Speaker 5: When he go forty two yards, he was untouched, so there were no mistackles because of the speed.
Speaker 4: He was untouched because of his speed.
Speaker 5: Yeah right, yeah, he just ran right by everybody, right, somebody up front didn't do their job.
Speaker 4: Mickey. I'm having this middle picture of Mickey running with the football. It still might have been able to go forty two years.
Speaker 2: I think I think I might have been able to.
Speaker 6: I agree, I'm here for that.
Speaker 2: That's funny, and for sure, we'll put on your pads.
Speaker 5: Nicky, the athletic savvy would have been able to do it too.
Speaker 4: You know, I was watching a little bit of the Dolphins against the Jets last week, and of course that was without Tyreek Hill, and you know, it's struck me. In the first part of that game. They were throwing wide receiver screens, little bubble screens out to the outside too. It was getting the ball out very quickly, and it was almost you could describe their offense early in that game against the Jets. It was a Hawaiian Island offense. You got a quarterback from Hawaii. It was like you got the mainland here where you've got a couple of running backs who can break it at any time. Rahem Mostert or a chan has elite speed, and then you can put Wadle out here on Oahu okay. And then you got Tyreek on Maui over here, and it's like these little islands that you got an island over here, you got an island over here, and you got the big island in the middle. And then Tua just decides, Okay, we're going to operate off of the big island on this handoff to Mostart. But you got to defend Maui and Oahu over here, okay, Kawhi, Well that's a slot. That's Braxton Barrios in the slot, okay. Or you could put a chan in the slot. Okay, you put Moster in the backfield, you put a Chan, and then you put and it's it's very stressful on a defense.
Speaker 2: I think, well it is.
Speaker 5: And what needs to happen is the Cowboys need to stress the Miami defense.
Speaker 2: You know, just because they ran.
Speaker 4: The Cowboys have those same type weapons.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And just because Buffalo ran for two hundred and sixty six yards doesn't mean the Cowboys offense can't get going.
Speaker 7: So I was looking at their defense a little bit, especially after watching a lot of hard knocks last night.
Speaker 6: Ye writing everything down, I want.
Speaker 4: To know you say what you're going to say here, but I also want to know who are the personalities on their team that struck you. But go ahead and say what you were about to say. Bradley Chubb, yes, had three sacks last week against the Jets, says nine and a half on the season.
Speaker 7: And he was the AFC player exactly named AFC Defensive Player of the Week against the Jets. Seven tackles, three sacks, two force fumbles, one fumble recovery.
Speaker 4: And by the way, that was also against a Jets team that featured at quarterback the AFC Offensive Player of the Week from the previous week, Zach Wilson, Sir Zach Wilson, Yeah, did I say that with tongue.
Speaker 6: And cheeks exactly?
Speaker 7: Well, the Jets verse the Jets that Dolphins allowed just one hundred and three yards, which is the second fewest allowed in a game in Dolphin's history. So I was looking a lot at their defense and one of the players that they feature. I haven't gotten to Bradley Chubb if they're talking to him, I think they do it in the next episode. But they did feature a lot with Jalen Ramsey, who was their edition this year. And then they actually went over Jalen Phillips before he was injured and when he was, you know, pretty hurt a few weeks ago within Achilles. But the Personalities two was one of them. They show Tyreek Hill in the first episode. He's unbelievable, but two was a character in the show that's for sure interesting.
Speaker 2: So you think Ramsey's on CD.
Speaker 4: Was on Garrett Wilson last.
Speaker 7: Week, okay, And he has twelve tackles so far, ten solo, three interceptions this season.
Speaker 4: And they've got another cornerback in Xavian Howard who is well paid for his services at A Baylor. Did I see him on but he was he got He did get hurt last week on one playoff saw in particular he got.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: It was a collision in the middle of the field. And what do they say as injury is hip? Yeah, you could tell on that play.
Speaker 5: He did not practice.
Speaker 4: In fact, looking to see if I charted their play No, I did not last week, but uh, And then you know Holland the safety was a really good player. They know Vic Fangio, and maybe we let's talk about their defense in depth here when we come back here. And uh, of course Fangio and McCarthy have matched wits a number of times in their coaching careers, and so we'll talk Dolphins defense with mixed shots continues in a moment.
Speaker 11: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 5: Cowboys Football and Miller Lite.
Speaker 4: What a pairing can.
Speaker 8: Crack's a kickoff tailgates going way past postgame Sunday night overtimes, followed by Monday mornings Swag Brisky and the Smoker, Miller Lte and the Cook America's team playing America's greatest spool Mille the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys football tastes like Miller Time Celebrate Responsibly twenty twenty three, Miliberal Company for Worth, Texas.
Speaker 12: Did you know that responding to one spam call can lead to more? Or that the IRS would never ask for your Social Security number on the phone? Beat scammers at their own game. By subscribing to AARP fraud Watch Network alerts and texts. At AARP dot org slash Beat Scammers TX, you can sign up to receive information that helps you recognize and avoid the latest scams. That's AARP dot org slash Beat Scammers TX.
Speaker 10: You know that sound anywhere. It's the crisp crunch, that first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio sitting atop a layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection. That's what we're looking for at a delicious, refreshing pepsi, and we've achieved absolute nacho nirvana because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory topping, there's no topping of cool petsy finish nachos better with pepsi.
Speaker 6: That's what I like.
Speaker 7: Shots the twenty twenty four NFL Pro Bowl Games are taking over Orlando, and the roster is up to you. Cast ballot for the twenty twenty four Pro Bowl Games. Vote and send your favorite Cowboys players to compete in the Ultimate AFC First NFC Showdown this February. Vote now at Dallas Cowboys dot com slash vote.
Speaker 4: Do you have a deadline on that that little read there sometime next week? Isn't it?
Speaker 6: Players go onto voting next week?
Speaker 4: Okay, players vote next week. And we've got an update from the practice field, breaking news from the Star. And there's our breaking news sounder. There are no longer football players the outdoor football field here at the Star and Frisco. The rain has intensified. It's beyond a drizzle. It's now what it was a little bit beyond a drizzle.
Speaker 2: A shower.
Speaker 4: Okay, we have a shower outside and there's nobody on that practice field. The media has deserted, the players deserted. I ran into a couple of media members as I walked outside, and they went indoors about five minutes ago. Yes, they were drink.
Speaker 6: Yes, I was going to.
Speaker 5: Sign Basically when they got to the team portion of practice. They went indoors so they didn't spoil the team offense and defense and spoil the final padded practice of the regular season, by the way, so.
Speaker 2: That makes sense. And tear up a brand new yeah, and the.
Speaker 5: Grass that they just laid down the other day, right.
Speaker 9: I I've never seen someone stair up a practice fill on a month day and have it done by Wednesday.
Speaker 5: It's crazy that quickly it was done yesterday.
Speaker 2: They were out there yesterday.
Speaker 4: It was Wednesday.
Speaker 5: They were rolling it on Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were.
Speaker 5: They had a roller on it yesterday patting it that bag. Well, they were doing it by hand before that. They had these big, uh kind of square metal things and they have a long stick on it and they were pounding the side.
Speaker 4: It was so tell me, George Tooma, is this a the difficult time of the year to plant new sod?
Speaker 5: I guess they did.
Speaker 4: Is it? Ideal?
Speaker 5: In the middle was dying, so you just once again, this is the second time they've done that this season.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so this is this is budgeted.
Speaker 5: I mean they replanted the whole thing when we were at training camp, yep, I remember, or just before we left, because I saw him rolling out all that side, and I'm going I.
Speaker 4: Could use that up.
Speaker 2: What are they going to do with it?
Speaker 4: Was that a product of the incredibly hot summer that we had.
Speaker 2: I'm going to let you say it.
Speaker 6: We were in California.
Speaker 5: It was an incredibly hot summer that we had here, and the sun shines off with doctor pepper tube.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, right, it's even hotter out there. That's exactly right. So we've got that in the budget now every year that we're going to grass.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right, exactly the grass budget.
Speaker 4: All right, all right. This Dolphins defense, you've mentioned a couple of names. They have forty eight sacks on the season, and Jalen Phillips was injured tour's achilles a couple of weeks ago, out for the year. However, they got other guys, including Bradley Chubb, who has not only last week against the Jets, but throughout the season has been a top performer for them. It was a former number five overall pick of the Broncos about five years ago, and Vic Fangio familiar with him from his time when he was the head coach of the Broncos too.
Speaker 7: And then you have two of the top five defensive tackles in sacks Wilkins with Christian Wilkins eight sacks and Zach Siller.
Speaker 4: YEP Zach Seiler seven and a half sacks. Wilkins Wilkins first round draft pick in twenty nineteen, number thirteen overall out of Clemson, and he has established himself as one of the top interior defensive linemen in the entire league in his career, and he's a great team guy. Has he been featured on your binge watching of.
Speaker 7: Hard Knocks, They have not been totally featured yet, but they those two just they'll show some little cameo shots of them, and they're just specially practice.
Speaker 4: They combined last week early in the game, Wilkins sacked. Wilson is on end of the field. I think it was Siler who who recover the fumble at the one yard line that led to the Dolphins first touchdown of the game. But I mean, you combine, even disregarding Phillips who is a first round pick, with Chubb, Wilkins, Siler and Ogba who is a second round pick. It's going on nearly ten years ago now, there's thirty of their forty eight sacks right there on those four players.
Speaker 5: They've got what five five guys with one, two, three, four at least five sacks, with Chubb as you mentioned, leading with nine and a half, Wilkins with eight, Siler seven and a half, and Phillips six and a half and Agba five. So they've been pretty good getting pressure on opposing quarterback.
Speaker 4: I like going back and just researching when coaches match up against other coaches in their career that may not maybe it's definitely under the radar when you go back in time. But ten years ago when Fangio was a defensive coordinator with the forty nine ers, and well it's twelve years ago. Twenty eleven, the Packers went fifteen and one and they did not face San Francisco that year. That's the year they got knocked out of the playoffs by the Giants in the first round or divisional playoff round, after having the best record in the league coming off their Super Bowl year.
Speaker 5: Is that the year they won like thirteen straight.
Speaker 4: It may have been they went fifteen and one in the regular year twenty eleven, So twenty ten is when they won the Super Bowl. In twenty eleven they went fifteen and one. Twenty twelve, it was an eleven and five season, and they lost to San Francisco and the Opener I believe that year, and then lost to them in a wild playoff game forty five thirty one. So if and get this, San Francisco in that game in twenty twelve, eleven years ago in the playoffs against the Packers, they won forty five thirty one. They had three hundred and twenty three yards rushing in two sixty three passing. You know why they had three hundred twenty three rushing in that game because they had a quarterback named Colin Kaepernick who went for one hundred and eighty one yards in that game. Frank Gore went for one nineteen. So anyway, my point on this is when Fangio had the better players, he had McCarthy's number, but flip it to win. He was at Chicago and went up against McCarthy twice a year. McCarthy went six and one against him. So when McCarthy has the better players, he wins. When when Fangio has the better players, he wins. And of course they did meet though here a couple of years ago, was at Denver.
Speaker 2: Did Denver have the better I'm not sure.
Speaker 4: About that yeah, but on that day they seem to they.
Speaker 2: Did, so.
Speaker 4: I lost my train of thought.
Speaker 5: Oh you were talking about so check this out, Wilkins. He has not missed a game this year. Siler every start. Uh, their linebacker Baker miss out. Now he's out now, but he missed the last two games.
Speaker 2: Linebacker Long.
Speaker 5: Every start, Chubb, every start.
Speaker 4: You haven't got to van Ginkel. I was about to bring him up Andrew van Ginkel.
Speaker 5: Oh, he's only started one, two, three, four five that he's six seven, eight, the.
Speaker 2: Last three in a row.
Speaker 7: And he was featured in Hard Knocks because of the Jalen Phillips injury. He got his day against the Commanders to really try and step into those shoes, yep, and he had a pick and ran it in for a touchdown, so that he had a really good game and they showed.
Speaker 6: That on Hard Knocks.
Speaker 7: But I'm not sure what he has essentially done against the Titans and then the Jets.
Speaker 5: He's had He had eight starts and Phillips had six starts, so they basically shared that position. But they haven't had many injuries on defense.
Speaker 4: So it's going to be very interesting when you got the two top scoring teams in the league, matched up against each other, and yet you have question marks on the offensive line due to injuries both for both teams.
Speaker 5: Right, what do you think they're talking about? Like, what are they worried about with the Cowboys?
Speaker 6: It's a great question.
Speaker 7: I tried to tune into one of their podcasts and was kind of looking up some of their stuff, and they were actually doing an evaluation of just the Cowboys roster as a whole. So they were talking about DeMarcus Lawrence and Osa and a bunch of people. But I didn't get into the end of it what their concerns are. So I'll come back tomorrow with that INFIRA A.
Speaker 4: Right work assignment there. Tasing ahead, I tried, as I am prone to do, I tried to go ahead and listen to go behind enemy lines and listen to sports talk radio in that town. And I listened about an hour ago, and to the sports talk station. I'm probably the most popular one there. I don't know. They were playing some sort of Wheel of Fortune game and I wasn't niel to get much out of that. Why I don't listen to this. Rather, you you're going the right route. Go with the podcast and you'll get better from the team. Right.
Speaker 5: I'm always curious about that because you know, we sit here going on and on and on about what the Cowboys have to worry about, and I'm going, well, they probably see the Cowboys are ten and.
Speaker 4: You know they're running, they're looking at it, they're going, Okay, I talked about the Hawaiian Island offense, right, and they're sitting there doing some Mississippi or Louisiana analogy of dak Prescott.
Speaker 2: And who's gonna run with Brandy Cooks?
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly where you got Brandy Cook's here. Oh my goodness, How in the world are we going to stop these guys.
Speaker 5: With all these injuries? Who's gonna block Michael Parsons? H Yeah, it's it's pretty funny.
Speaker 2: But that's I mean, we know that part.
Speaker 4: But in a what have you done for me lately? Yeah? League culture walk for the Dolphins. Yeah, they're gonna run all over this Dallas defense. I mean they had James some guy, as Mickey would put it, some guy named James Cook who went for one hundred and seventy nine. I guess, so imagine what Raheem will do in eight chan. This will be Denver all over again, seventy points, that's what they're saying. Okay, just tell you that's what they say. Well, they'd scored seventy against Denver eight Chan went for like two hundred and something yards rushing in that game.
Speaker 7: No, I mean, this is the first time and that the team has been ten and four the Dolphins since two thousand and they.
Speaker 5: Haven't it's two thousand all two.
Speaker 7: They haven't in those ten games beaten a team with a winning record.
Speaker 5: So it's the first time they've won. They've had a winning season in three was it three or four consecutive years since Bob Greasy, Jimmy Johnson and Dave Wanstadt were the head coaches for seven years and they had seven straight winning seasons.
Speaker 4: Wow, how about that?
Speaker 5: Ninety seven through two thousand and four, so that's eight seasons. So yeah, that was one of the things they pointed out in there.
Speaker 2: In their notes here.
Speaker 5: I think I circled it, make sure I got it accurate. Right, Well, you better hurry if you're I'm hurrying it up.
Speaker 4: I'm hurrying halftime here, and I've got to go tape a segment of the Mike McCarthy Show here, all right, So you Vickey's.
Speaker 5: Got winning seasons last last four years, ten and six in twenty twenty ninety eight, ninety and eight, and ten and four, four straight winning seasons since nineteen ninety seven through two thousand and three. So Jimmy had three of them and wants Dad had four.
Speaker 4: And how did Jimmy do when he matched up against the Cowboys? And that that was nineteen ninety six, wouldn't it. I think that was the first game, Yeah, ninety six.
Speaker 2: And the Cowboys I.
Speaker 4: Was in Miami all week leading up to that game, won that game.
Speaker 2: Cowboys won the game twenty nine.
Speaker 4: You know why the Cowboys won that game? Tell me because they had better players topense. All Right, that does it for this edition of mix Shots, and we will shout at you again tomorrow on a fabulous football not a Missouri fight song Friday that's coming.
Speaker 6: Go Cowboys, Next, Go Cowboys.
Speaker 4: That'll be next Friday. Right.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club Show.
Speaker 4: H