Speaker 1: I Am all In.
Speaker 2: Oh, let's you.
Speaker 3: I Am all in with Scott Patterson an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey Everybody, Scott Patterson, I Am all In Podcast one of other productions iHeartRadio, iHeart Media, iHeart Podcast. One on one interview with none other than Cameron Bender and he played the ta in season seven, episode fourteen. Let me tell you something. A little bit about Cameron. He was in one episode of Gilmore Girls. He portrayed the tear tuck Tucker Colbertson, who filled in for Richard's economics class at Yale when Richard was in the hospital. Here's a little something about Cameron. He's an actor. He worked in television for most of his Career's career began in the early two thousands with credits on Buffy the Vampire Slayers Sabrina the Teenager, which popular CSI crime scene investigation. He continued to work on TV, appearing in Ritzolian Isles, American Housewives, That did ten episodes of the ABC show Mistress, and more recently on an episode of Fuller House. In an episode of the sx FX show Min's MC, you were a badass biker? Oh wow, No, no, not at all.
Speaker 2: No, I was an ATF agent.
Speaker 1: Gotcha? Oh yeah, all right, square tell us how you got the role on Gilbour Girls.
Speaker 2: How I got the role on Gilmore Girls. Well, first of.
Speaker 4: All, his name is Tucker Culbertson, and I'm actually shocked that I got this part on Gilmore Girls because obviously the most important thing about the show, well not the most important thing, but one of the great things about the show is everyone speaks very clearly and distinctly, and it's just rapid, rap it, rapid. That's my biggest weakness is speaking clearly. And so I came in and I can't believe I actually got the part because in the in the callback, I said, Tucker Colbertson, who came up with that name? I think I said it kind of like that whoever came up with the name was in the room, because everything got really quiet and cold, and I was like, oh, you know that that moment where you were like I should just leave.
Speaker 1: That was I do know that moment.
Speaker 4: But I did it anyway, and for some reason, they they they hired me.
Speaker 1: So I was fucky, Well, you made an indelible impression on h On Rory, that is for sure. So we meet you at Yale. Yes, you're filling in for Richard's econ class. Yes, the roy is taken by your looks and charm.
Speaker 2: That's about Yeah.
Speaker 1: So what was it like playing the role? Do you enjoy it? Oh?
Speaker 2: I loved it.
Speaker 4: I loved it, But I do have to throw out a little story beforehand, before before filming. Well no, I guess this was actually after filming, but before they aired it. But they took this picture of me, a still of me on set, and it's the one they used on IMDb for the episode. That's a picture of me. It's not a great picture. It's not very flattering. And I wandered onto a message board.
Speaker 2: This is pre Reddit.
Speaker 4: This is pre like a bunch of Internet was the Internet was the Internet, but it wasn't like their Facebook wasn't around yet, and they had that picture up to like promote the episode, and everyone on the on the message board said, this guy is ugly.
Speaker 2: What's happening?
Speaker 4: What like the alien? And I and so I chimed in, I'm like, this is not a great picture. He is pretty ugly in this picture, but to be fair, it's me and I think I film better maybe in motion, Like, please watch the episode it's amazing. Alexis is amazing. It's a really, really, really great episode. So I didn't take it personally because how would they know that. I was like lurking, and I don't get that.
Speaker 1: I felt. I mean, obviously, you're not ugly, you're a You're an attractive young fella.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: Enough enough that Rory was interested. But yeah, yeah, I mean, so.
Speaker 1: What was it like working with Alexis because those scenes were really terrifically played.
Speaker 2: On Oh thank you.
Speaker 4: She was such a delight, Like, I'm sure you've worked on shows where the ones and two's aren't always welcoming, or maybe this was the seventh season the episode that I was, and by that time, sometimes they're just tired of being there.
Speaker 1: It's so true. Yes, it's the exhaustion of.
Speaker 4: It's just kind of like, oh, another new guy to come in. Nice, It's like, okay, yet another person that's not going to be here for a day. I'm not going to expend any energy. She couldn't have been more opposite of that.
Speaker 1: She was so.
Speaker 4: Kind and welcoming and right away wanting to know if I wanted to run it a couple of times, and so that was the first day like when we meet in the classroom.
Speaker 2: The second day, when we meet in the in the.
Speaker 4: Bookshop, she was even more Like I felt even more a part of the family. That was the number one thing that I felt coming down to this set. And like I said, being on other sets where I'm just a day player, you know, it's it's just one day on there and there. There's one in particular, and I'm not naming any names, but the one. I had a scene with both one and two, and the one was awesome, and when we were doing light checks or moving the camera, they were talking to me about Pixar movies and we were just like making small talk and she made me.
Speaker 2: Feel really comfortable.
Speaker 4: But the one, I'm sorry, but the two didn't want me talking in between takes. They had a different process. It's there, it's their show. But this was probably seven or eight on their number season of them, and they didn't want they didn't you know, they didn't welcome me there. So I just shut up and kind of did my job. But with Alexus, totally different. She was just a delight. It was really really fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's different on different shows. I know what you mean. I've been through that too. Yeah where you know where, especially on a big hit show if you're just guesting. Yeah, And you know, I've had similar experiences. Some have been great, some have been like, oh, I have too much energy, I am too excited to be here and it's tiring them out. So calm down, Scott, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: You know, I got I tried the one time I tried. I didn't know one time to be less Tom Cruise because I was like, you're really smiling. I'm so happy to be there. They're like, yeah, you just need to that's not what the scene is.
Speaker 1: Right right, act like you've been there both.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I know it's hard to do. It's hard to do when you get.
Speaker 2: It's so fun.
Speaker 1: It's fun. It's fun. Yeah. You know. I remember going into those uh sitcom uh stages and rehearsing and just having so much fun. And you know, I wasn't jaded yet, and I was like, it's oh, it's just a job. And you know, I've got all this money, and I've got this house, and I've got you know, all these responsibilities and I want to get back to my life and I don't want to be here and you know, this kind of attitude that that inevitably creeps in for a lot of people, but it's just yeah, for us, it's just fresh and exciting and you want to do great work, so we do. You know. It's it's like and you're nervous. There's a nervousness part about it, like am I going to be able to pull this off? Right? You know? Right? Because I remember going on Seinfeld it was like I was terrified. I was excited. I knew I could do it, but it was like, wow, once once we started getting into the filming part of it on the friday, it was like, this is serious business.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you don't want to be the one to mess it up because.
Speaker 1: Oh no, yeah, I know, I know how that is. Man, that's that's all right. So so this is season seven. Did you know the series before you auditioned?
Speaker 2: I didn't. I watched a bunch before before filming.
Speaker 1: Hey look, man, I'm not gonna take it personally. It was really nice talking we're gonna end this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, absolutely absolutely, you know, it's it's it was.
Speaker 1: It was always the kind of an obscure show, right.
Speaker 3: It's such a loyal following, right, But but if it's not your cup of tea, it's not your cup of tea.
Speaker 4: Well, I fell in love with the show, and did I did become uh started watching it avidly, and.
Speaker 1: I just.
Speaker 4: It's such it was such a touchstone type of show, like for the people that discovered it, it was so special and I think maybe there this kind of ownership of like not everybody knows this, but the people that do that, the people that get it, like just get it. And there's there's this whole new generation that's discovering Gilmore Girls. I've talked to so many friends with daughters with sons that who are twelve thirteen watching it on Netflix and they love.
Speaker 2: It, like it it's.
Speaker 4: Universal, but it really is like it's the connection obviously between the two of them, but like just the family atmosphere, and it.
Speaker 2: Really speaks to everyone.
Speaker 4: There's just that connection and those relationships and it's a really lovely There's so many shows that are kind of.
Speaker 2: Challenging or rough or.
Speaker 4: Edgy, dark edgy, You're dark, and this didn't need that to really connect with people, and it's it was great just to be an even small part of that.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, amazing, what a delightful harmless, h hysterically funny show with heart will do you know? Yeah, it's not rocket science. You know, it's like, you know, give the people what they want, and this is what they need and they want, you know, revisited Golden Age. Yeah, so you're from Michigan. I am what what part of Michigan?
Speaker 2: I see a hat back there? Is that Missouri or is that a Michigan.
Speaker 1: That's a Michigan hat. I did a convention in uh Nova, Michigan outside. Yeah, I know, the people are so fantastic and they gave lots and hats and you know, I've watched plenty of Michigan football and TV. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Well, I went to the other school. I went to Michigan State.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's okay, you're spartan, but for me, I was I was sparty.
Speaker 2: I was the mascot.
Speaker 1: Is that right?
Speaker 2: Yes? So I kind of lead green and white and yeah, that was really really fun.
Speaker 4: So Michigan and I are for enemies, but it's fine, Like I I appreciate how great that school is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and where where's Michigan State located?
Speaker 4: Michigan State's right in the middle in East Lansing. So Lansing is the capital. Of course, if you're from Michigan, show on your hand on a podcast, no one can see that.
Speaker 2: But I'm from a small town called Midland.
Speaker 4: Which is about it's right in the middle, right, it's right there in the name Midland.
Speaker 1: So so when did you know you wanted to be an actor?
Speaker 4: By the way, I always did school plays, let's say, always loved to be the lead all the way through junior high and through high school. And I actually went to State on a journalism scholarship because I was like, I like sports journalism. I really like sports. I want to get into sport journalism and then to be to be totally honest, I watched a few good Men and I watched Tom Cruise, and I was like, I could do that. Not in not in a backhanded compliment, I was like, I want to do that.
Speaker 2: I watched him do that. I was I, Yes, that's it, that's.
Speaker 4: What I want to do. And I took like one class in journalism. I was like, I don't want to do this, So I just went all in on on film and acting.
Speaker 1: And did that take you to New York? Did it take you to la to study?
Speaker 2: Actually we made some films at Michigan State.
Speaker 4: And then the people that I made the films with moved out to LA and so I moved in with one of them, but started making connections. We had like a little community already out here, and they've all gone on and one of them ran DC for a while, and they've all done amazing things all over the place.
Speaker 1: But one of them ran d C Studios.
Speaker 2: Or like d oh oh d C, like the like the d CU. They are you for the while?
Speaker 1: Okay, So what are you working on these days?
Speaker 2: What am I working on these days?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 4: I wanted first of all, I wanted to thank you for inviting me to this. I wanted to thank you for inviting me to this because it made me, uh tick stock.
Speaker 2: What am I working on right now? What am I working on these days? What? What's my why right now? Being here?
Speaker 4: Because it's tough, Like you know, it's not easy after the pandemic and after the strike, this town is really really difficult. But I found my gratitude thinking about this. So you, your invitation brought me to a place of I'm so lucky. We are so lucky. Even though this is tough, the tough has all been worth it because, like we were saying, it's fun. But last week I had an audition in person, and it's the second one that I've had since the pandemic started. And I had to change into a suit in the car, and back when I was a younger actor, I would do that five times a day. I don't know if you remember those days. And I didn't appreciate it. Then I thought, this is kind of a burden, this is kind of but it took me back there and I was so excited and energized and I was having and I had so much fun in this audition and I walked out not worrying about whether I booked.
Speaker 1: It or not. Can you say what it was for?
Speaker 4: It's for Kathy Bates, is Matt Locke? Okay, they were amazing. It was just I was so I was trying not to like vibrate in the room. I was just trying to be centered and present and it was just really, really fun. And it took me back to again to be grateful for these opportunities that we have out here. And what I'm working on right now is I'm currently in an acting class that I'm helping coordinate with this amazing coach that I love, and I've done it since COVID, since the pandemic, and we had this core of amazing actors, and we're starting to take take the scenes and characters that we've come up with and starting to film them because I found that creating stuff with people that I love is like my happy place. It's always been that way, and that's kind of bringing back to Gilmore Girls. That's how I felt when I came onto the set. I could tell everybody there was a family, and there was a shorthand and and everyone really loved each other and watching all of you create something together was a beautiful thing, and just to being a part of that was a wonderful thing. So what I'm working on right now is trying to create content with my friends just for us, even if it never gets shown anywhere, but just that that action of creating things, filming things, writing and editing and just the entire process. I'm just in love with all of it. And that's kind of what I'm up to. I mean, I'm auditioning. I'm auditioning, but I'm not putting. I'm having as much fun as I can with that. But trying to create things just to like keep the fires burning right now. That's that's where I'm at.
Speaker 1: That sounds terrific. Good luck with all of that. We're going to play rapid fire right now. You're ready.
Speaker 2: I'm ready.
Speaker 1: Doesn't mean you have to be rapid.
Speaker 2: I'll try to be thoughtful a little bit.
Speaker 1: All right, here we go. How do you like your coffee? These are very difficult questions. By the way, you have to have a Snoop dogg level I Q to even deal with this. You're ready? How do you like your coffee?
Speaker 4: I've met Snoop Dog. He actually is pretty bright. I love Coldrew And uh.
Speaker 1: That's it. You answered? That's great? All right? Sorry, no explanation. Are you team Logan, Team Jess or team Dean?
Speaker 2: I'm team Tucker.
Speaker 1: Who was your favorite Gilmore Girls couple? Luke and Laurels are Emily.
Speaker 2: And Richard, Luke and Laura?
Speaker 1: I thank you very much. Would you rather work with Michelle or Kirk?
Speaker 2: Kirk?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 2: I don't know, do you?
Speaker 1: You don't have to have a reason.
Speaker 2: I don't have to I don't know, just a feeling.
Speaker 1: Would you what would you order at Luke Steiner?
Speaker 4: Whenever I go into any restaurant I always ask what they recommend. So what would Luke recommend? Do you think not to put you on the spot? Okay, burger fries, animalted milkshake.
Speaker 1: There you go. Who would you rather hang out with Paris or Lane?
Speaker 2: I guess Paris? I guess Paris. Yeah, because because.
Speaker 1: The wonderful thing she does, the wonderful thing she does? Yes, Harvard or Yale? Or would you drop out and live in the poolhouse? Oh?
Speaker 2: Poolhouse?
Speaker 1: For sure? You go for the poolhouse.
Speaker 2: Sorry, Tucker, I'd live in the pause.
Speaker 1: Would you rather attend to da r event with Emily or a town meeting with Taylor? Dude?
Speaker 2: Tell me anyone Taylor?
Speaker 1: Okay, uh, you must like the sweat those were very sweaty days. Gilmore Girl's characters that you would want as.
Speaker 2: A roommate, Well, I really do believe that.
Speaker 4: I mean, I would really want to just want right, who would I want to be?
Speaker 2: I would want to be?
Speaker 1: Come on, really truly come on.
Speaker 2: My second My second.
Speaker 4: Answer is I did think about this is bo Belleville played by Nick Offerman, because I know Nick and his character is hilarious. He is amazing and I got to work in his wood shop right as I know he's got a who he's hilarious, but his his character.
Speaker 2: I just rewatched.
Speaker 4: His his scenes there, his episodes of Only Kyle Bo's.
Speaker 2: He seems like a classy dude.
Speaker 1: So you're so you're tossing me off and you're.
Speaker 4: No, no, maybe that's what you said the three of us, that's what you said. I said, you said definitely Luke.
Speaker 1: If and then you brought up ball so Luke.
Speaker 4: Kicked me out. I'm just saying, I don't want to know it is Luke. I want to live with Luke.
Speaker 1: Something in your life you are all in on.
Speaker 3: Something or someone something, well you could it could be you know, something in your life you are all in on that could include It would be my wife.
Speaker 2: Okay, my wife, she's amazing.
Speaker 1: Cameron, thank you for your time, good luck with everything. It's been a pleasure.
Speaker 2: And I ask you a question, Yes, what have.
Speaker 4: You learned from watching all of the watching the shows? Like, what what have you taken from from watching this?
Speaker 1: Well, I've never seen them before, so this is my first experience seeing them. Just like when they get it right in the writer's room, which is a lot of the time, it's a remarkably high percentage of sort of perfect great episodes. It just knocks me out how clever and how witty and how dramatic and how funny and engaging this show really is. But it really is. You know, this is really such a writer's medium. I mean, they are giving us these great this great dialogue and these great situations that like I have been on several shows, whether as a guest star or as a series regular, where you're just thrilled by being in the situations that you're being put in. You can't wait to get to the set and like I get to act this, and the better the situation you're in, the less you have to act at all. And it's just the real joy of it. And I've found that most of the episodes that I have seen and we've done, you know, we're almost done season seven. We're more than halfway through season seven. We're almost finished our first round. We're gonna probably do a second round. But just how many of the actors must have felt the same way that I did, that you get to come in and be in these situations which are so wacky and zany and dramatically relevant and comedic and just wonderful stuff. And I get it now. I get why the fan base is so dedicated. I get why they're so loyal. I get why people I mean, I do conventions and they they all say to a person, I have it on twenty four to seven. I have it on when I'm going to sleep. I have it all when I wake up. I have it all when I come home. More I have it on at the office when I'm cleaning it and I can't even hear it, but I just want to know it's there. Yeah, it's like, you know, the characters in that show. The writing is so good, and the characters on that show have become parts of people's families, and that's how they view us and see us and treat us. And it's a wonderful experience meeting these fans because they invite you into their heart. I mean they literally just grab on and hug you and thank you. And it's a wonderful experience. And the older I get, the better the experiences are because there's more and more people, and like you said, they're younger and younger. I get seven year old boys and girls coming up and they're dressed as Luke and they and they have all of these comments and compliments and just you know, the teenage girls start to tremble and they start to cry and they get overwhelmed. It's it's just an amazing experience. This show has been such an incredible gift. And thank you for asking me the question, because I've I've had some really good experiences because I was involved in other shows, but nothing comes close to this. Nothing comes close to this. This show means so much to so many people around the world, and everywhere I am in the world, I get recognized and people come up and they and they whatever language they're speaking, and they're really trying to speak English. I understand exactly what they're saying, and I actually say the words for them and they go yes, yes, yes, yeah, and amazing. It's just an amazing healing show for the world. And you know, it's like Netflix is out there churning out these episodes and making them available. It's like medicine to the to the masses, you know, and it's it's having a very positive effect on people.
Speaker 2: And I think we need more Gilmore girls.
Speaker 1: And I think we do. I think it's a crazy world out there. It's getting crazier all the time all the time, and you know, one of the antidotes is sit and watch a couple episodes of Gilmore Girls, You're gonna feel better. So it's just kind of I knew the show would be I knew the show would be a hit. I didn't know how big a hit, but I thought, this is going to run five years. I remember talking to Lauren Amy Sheir and Palladina through a wonderful Christmas party every year at her house, and we were lucky enough to be included in that. And she had, you know, people from previous shows she'd done and friends, and it was just a wonderful mix of people, very eclectic mix of people, wonderful people. And I remember Lauren and I in the backyard talking about the show, and you know, we were predict how long it would go, and I remember saying five years. I was wrong. It was seven, and it probably could have been seventeen. Yeah, you know, it could have still been going. But the fact that it's grown into this sort of culturally significant, you know show, and the characters in the show, and the town and the you know, the ecosystem that the show has has provided woven into the fabric of American culture, and it's just a really nice feeling. It's a nice feeling to have been, you know, a guy who was sleeping in his car, you know, hoping to meet people, and you know, had a theater resume, and I think I can do this. And then one day, you know, walking down the street, you know, a bunch of years later and people getting all, uh, you know, hot under the collar, and can I have your autograph? And can we take a selfie with you? And it's and they share these experiences that they've had and and you know, very personal and deep experiences that they've had because they consider you the family members, right, trust, trusted people, right, but watching the show just just how great it is, and uh, sometimes they you know, it's not perfect. And I think when it goes off the rails, it really goes off the rails because the bar is so high. Yeah, you know what I mean. And it's like that hasn't happened very often, but it happened once once or twice, and that was shocking to see. But but it's just it's the reality of network television and the demands put on a writing staff to churn out. At that time, it was twenty four to twenty two episodes. A year of our long television. That's a lot of content, and it's nine months of this and it's just so hard to do, and nobody really does it anymore. Do the ten episodes and you're out, and it's still a grueling schedule, but it's not like a nine month schedule where you literally have to take a month off and just sleep and you can't really even think about going on a vacation until you've slept for a month. And then you feel like a person again. Right, You get out of that actor's head and that actor's body, and then if you're doing it, if you're lucky enough to have a film on your hiatus, then you're just like, you know, you're no downtime, there's no downtime. Yeah. So I just blown away by how clever the show is and how well done it is and how they did it with dialogue. Anyway, listen, thanks for your time, really appreciated. Good luck with everything, okay, and hope to me at you one day.
Speaker 5: All right, me too, alright, man, all right, take care, all right, take care bye bye
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, and don't forget Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In Podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.