Speaker 1: The following.
Speaker 2: He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 3: Cowboys.
Speaker 4: This He's Talking Cowboys Spring Live from the Dallas Cowboys World head Boys.
Speaker 5: At the Star in Frisco.
Speaker 6: Touchdown Seconds, dot ticks Today, Touchdown.
Speaker 2: And Now your hosts Isaiah Standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 6: It's a Christmas Eve edition of Talking Cowboys presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, live from the Star in Frisco, Texas and the s WBC Studios. Welcome in everybody, as we wish you a merry Christmas. We get to talk to some cowboys and we want the gift of your phone call.
Speaker 5: Give us a call right now. Eight eight eight eight five five two nine seven.
Speaker 6: We're gonna take some phone calls like real fast, and we're gonna try and get to twelve today.
Speaker 5: We're gonna break our twenty twenty four season high of twelve phone calls.
Speaker 6: Phone calls, Well, we're gonna go to how We're we gonna make it that how If you give us a call eight eight eight eight five five two two nine seven. Gentlemen, Happy holidays, Merry Christmas, Christmas Eve.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Merry Christmas Eve.
Speaker 1: Queeze moying this.
Speaker 4: Big Christmas for you.
Speaker 5: It is a big Christmas for me.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah.
Speaker 5: First with all three we had like our first guys, both big Christmases. We uh, you've got your first.
Speaker 1: One in the house, first one in the house.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you got your tree up, you got the lights up.
Speaker 1: We do, we do, but we're not doing it at the house. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: You're not hosting this year.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, it's too far.
Speaker 6: We're hosting for the first time. Or we hosted last year because Lorena was pregnant and we were like, look, look it's easier for you guys to just come here, like she's got three babies to carry around.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Now we actually have three babies to carry around. So we're hosting again this year, so we'll congratulations the men. Next year is gonna be crazy for two nuts in every year, it's gonna ramp up because then they're gonna not want like hot wheels or barbies. They're gonna end up wanting like tablets and everything.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 4: Chris beam about, I wasn't even talking about financially. I was talking about just in terms of like being able to because right now they're not mobile. Next year, little Superman on our nephews, your tree is definitely coming down.
Speaker 5: Next They're all three gonna just be climbing one.
Speaker 6: You got three culprits and it looked like Planet of the Apes where they're climbing the towers of New York City.
Speaker 5: They're just gonna be all over the tree.
Speaker 4: Line them up, bro, put them all over there. They just sitting looking at you like I didn't do it.
Speaker 5: Now I'm excited.
Speaker 6: We had our first like family event last night where Nana bottom all gifts and we did it at her her house and we went over there and it was so.
Speaker 5: Fun, Like it was just so fun getting to hang out with everybody. I also brought you guys a little something something some last time.
Speaker 1: I tried to do this on a holiday.
Speaker 6: I was a little late, but I brought some Santa Christmas doughnuts.
Speaker 4: Say this, the Grinch went the Grinch.
Speaker 1: You go ahead and go for it.
Speaker 5: You pick it, you pick it out a little donut action.
Speaker 1: You know, we're talking to cowboys. Grinch. I think it's Isaiah stand Basketball.
Speaker 4: My family calls me Coy, Isaiah.
Speaker 5: Coy wants to steal Christmas. Yeah, dude, Yeah, I'm sure it's probably pretty heavy.
Speaker 8: Oh no, I see a Homer sits in one down there, there's a Homer.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, the pink one. Yeah, the pink sprinkle, pink sprinkles. All right, But merry Christmas, everybody. Hope you're enjoying your holiday season. Get to listen to a little bit of talking cowboys as well. Give us a call eight eight eight eight five five two two nine seven. We're gonna start taking some calls right now, starting with John in Alaska.
Speaker 5: John, whoa, we had you on last week. What's going on?
Speaker 9: Man?
Speaker 1: Thirty days of night? Let's go?
Speaker 5: Yeah, good morning, good morning, Thanks for colling.
Speaker 10: Yeah. First of all, let me wish all of you there in the studio and all of your listeners are very very merry Christmas. And during this holiday season, everybody should try to think about what makes them joyful and what makes them happy and focus on that.
Speaker 5: Love it.
Speaker 4: I agree you, John, love it abolutely Christmas looking like a true Alaskan.
Speaker 6: I hope you're not traveling anywhere today. That's that's my number one concern right now is all the people that are traveling.
Speaker 4: Crystal weather in Alaska.
Speaker 5: Right, yeah, yeah, what's what's the temperature?
Speaker 10: Surprisingly warm. It's at thirty four degrees.
Speaker 5: Right now, super warm.
Speaker 1: Yeah for Alaska.
Speaker 10: That's pretty warm for Alaska, that's very warm.
Speaker 5: Night.
Speaker 6: Yeah, guys, I want to give thanks for the call. John, appreciate you as always. Uh, before we move on to our next collar news and notes. There's no Patrick today, and I'm gonna be completely honest.
Speaker 5: It really wasn't a whole lot from yesterday.
Speaker 1: I'm doing anything around here.
Speaker 5: So Jerry talked this morning on the fan, I believe did he did? He talk?
Speaker 8: He did? He talked about Ceedee Lamb. As far as the injury goes kind only with you up to CD. Obviously he's playing through a lot of things. He's injured that that shoulder is not getting any better. No, obviously with the more playtime, obviously he keeps getting hit the way that he is.
Speaker 6: Sorry, I spot you're fighting through it, just like, yeah, that's.
Speaker 4: Interesting, need another one another?
Speaker 5: I have one, you have one, it's already gone. You take another one if you want.
Speaker 6: Well, But that is a good point because if they are going to leave it up to Cede Lamb, CD is gonna play. I mean, that's just clearly he's proven that already.
Speaker 8: We were in the box whenever he landed on that shoulder, and the announcers in the box basically said, you know, Ceedee Lamb is questionable to return.
Speaker 1: Not one play.
Speaker 8: Later, after literally the next play a TV time out, he's back in the in Uh, that's right. In the play gets it down to the one yard line, almost touchdown, shakes off a couple of people, chase off a couple of people with an injured shoulder, puts us back in the game. Granted we didn't see him much in the second half, but amazing that he powered through that he's still playing, and he's obviously going to play in Philly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's no way to keep him out of Philly.
Speaker 6: The only way that he's not on the field is if the training staff deems it best for him not to be on the field, because I know he said, he said, we'll leave it up to Seedee Lamb, We'll leave it up to his pain, discrepancy and tolerance.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I think if he's able, he will be on the field.
Speaker 8: You're not taking him off the field, no way, I agree, no way, No how he also alluded to. Jerry Jones alluded well, he was asked the question, as far as Mike McCarthy goes, do we think he's going to retain him for next season? Jerry Jones was very close to the vest on that one. He didn't necessarily answer the question. He was talking about, Yeah, confidence in him now, you know as we stand here and basically said, you know, full stop, like talking about here and now, so not necessarily looking towards the future. Sure, I'm sure he is, but he's not telling anybody about it yet. And we've talked about it many times here before. How do you if we end up with a running record, or let's say we end up eight to nine, you know, battling through this season, how do you not give.
Speaker 1: To Micha McCarthy.
Speaker 8: That's a question that we will be talking about for a long time to come, obviously when the season ends. So that's where we're at.
Speaker 4: How soon after the season ends, Dallas Cowboy season it is, will can we expect a decision?
Speaker 6: Usually it's within like three or four days, like it'd be really quick. So that I mean, the final game of the year is either the fourth or the fifth of January of course, the NFL has that last week as TBD, and then they slot them all in the place at the end of the time. I would expect something either that Monday or Tuesday the sixth, or the seventh.
Speaker 1: I would assume Saturday, February eighth.
Speaker 5: Do you think it's further than that after the super Bowl or close to the.
Speaker 8: Super Bowl, the day before the Super Bowl, the.
Speaker 5: Day before the Super Bowl.
Speaker 4: To hire a coach or to announcement, to make announce what he's doing.
Speaker 6: Oh, I think it's gonna be way quicker than that. Even I'm just going based off of Jason Garrett. Yeah, same sort of deal. Contract ran out, they did not renew him. You knew within the next two days after the season was over.
Speaker 8: So they don't wait on the coach very long.
Speaker 6: Then then you go on the then you go on the search and you start finding who your next coach is or you extend them, and then all of a sudden you've got that conversation moving forward too. So I don't think it would take very long. I think it'd be literally the day or two after the season comes.
Speaker 4: To a close.
Speaker 8: Husban, could you sign Micah That might be a little further that would be for the further out league. I mean new league year is March fifteenth, Okay, so sometime I got to look at the dates for twenty five. But the free agency and that sort of deal, I mean, I think you can sign him at any point, but I bet you it wouldn't happen until the league years changed.
Speaker 4: Interesting a little about the coaching decision on all the teams, because they have those all Star games, right, all those all the college All Star games in the Senior Bowl, Yeah, all the Senior Bowls and Shrine Bowl. You will want your coach yep to be present there, correct, and you're coaching staff, yes, yeah, from that.
Speaker 5: Perspective a lot.
Speaker 6: And that's that's why I think it will happen quick because the Senior Bowl and the Shrine Bowl are the final week of January. Final week, So that would give you a month of either find a new head coach and hire them or at least know who your new.
Speaker 5: Head coach is going to be.
Speaker 6: Uh, when you get to that point or Mike McCarthy's here, nothing changes, So I think let's keep on rolling. Let's go to Nebby and Silver Spring, Maryland. Nebby, what's going on you're on talking Cowboys man.
Speaker 3: Hi, guys, thank you so much for uh taking my call. Listen. Uh uh. First of all, I want to say uh that I I think so highly of Cooper uh BB that I bought his jersey uh uh uh a few weeks ago. Uh uh. But anyway, um I, I just want to say that I I I I I. Even though uhh we obviously won't be going to the playoffs and therefore, of course uh will not win the Super Bowl this year. Uh uh I, even even when that is no longer a possibility, there's always something to uh uh uh uh I'll play for because winning games uh down the stretch, I can build momentum for next year. So I'm hoping that we win these last two games, I have a winning season uh I and go off seasons strongly. And also before I go, I just want to say that, with all due respect to Mike Zimmer uh uh, I'm hoping that uhl Al Harris will be our defensive coordinator next uh a year next season. I take care, thanks for being patient with me, and have a great week. Bye.
Speaker 6: There we goes. Nevy Nev knows ball, of course always does. Now I agree with him. On one take so far, and I disagree with him on the other time.
Speaker 5: I never do. Really, he knows and it's an opinion. I get it.
Speaker 6: I love Al Harris, I really do. But Mike Zimmer's done enough to be your defensive.
Speaker 1: Coordinator next year.
Speaker 8: It's crazy how much the scripts flipped in regards to Mike Zimmer. Oh yeah, how he's done this year with the injuries at the defense specifically, it's crazy to see him grow and now the players are obviously buying into it.
Speaker 5: They're all bought in.
Speaker 6: It's crazy talking to some of the guys after the game, like you could see it like they it may not have been there initially, and there might have been a learning curve maybe a lot longer, and you could certainly give him criticism for how long it took for these.
Speaker 5: Guys to pick that up. That's fair.
Speaker 6: But the way that they're playing now gives me kind of like the first point where I agree with Nabby.
Speaker 5: I want to win these last two games.
Speaker 6: I want to build momentum going into twenty twenty five, because if you win these last two games and you're at nine to eight, you could be considered one of the best, if not the best defense in football in the back half of the season. There's a lot you can go build off of from there, including.
Speaker 5: With your defensive coordinator. M you don't want to win the last two games.
Speaker 4: No, you definitely want to win the last two games. It's just not convinced. Holy Holy you know that that I'm ready to rock with Zimmer yet, And I don't know what it would really take to build.
Speaker 5: What is holding you back?
Speaker 4: What I saw early? Same system? You know, I don't know if it was guys not executing or I mean, I don't know what. You have to go back and look at it. I would have to go back.
Speaker 5: And talking to the guys. That's what they say.
Speaker 6: They say it's it was a lack of execution, not necessarily a lack of scheme or preparation.
Speaker 8: Like you said about chun Zy Golsten when you guys interviewed him for pregame live on dolls cobys dot com. Uh, he was talking about early in the season where when they would make a mistake, It's like, Okay, what would dan Quinn have us do basically in this situation versus buying into the new scheme that they're they What.
Speaker 1: Would Zimmer do.
Speaker 8: What would Zimmer do?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is, it's a.
Speaker 5: Little bit different.
Speaker 4: WWZD what do uh? I yeah, it's I mean, it's obviously he has done a good enough job to at least raise the question. Right before, it was not a question. Absolutely before it was like, oh, ces next. Now you at least have to go back and look at his body of work, and I think he's They have done amazing these last four games whatever, it's been five games since Mike has come back. But again, you have to look at it and say, okay, is that because MIC's back and everybody else is able to do what they do? What if Micah is you know, low and behold, you know, God forbid and Mike is hurt? Do you get the same productivity out of this entire defense?
Speaker 5: Probably?
Speaker 4: Not right, so not good, but you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: But you can say the same thing about any other defense that has a high end talent. If the Cleveland Browns defense without Miles Garrett is completely different, the San Francisco defense without Nick Bosa is completely different, the Chargers defense without Khalil or.
Speaker 4: Difference, Like there's like it's not even close. But so I'm saying, like, how much weight are you putting on that one individual a.
Speaker 5: Lot because he's one of the best, if not the best kids. I mean, you're still second in defensive understanding.
Speaker 4: With the understanding that players get injured and things happen, contracts happen, players leave, you have to still have a system in place that is effective enough to give you give you an opportunity to win ball games. And that system was not it was.
Speaker 1: In place, it was not early.
Speaker 4: Is That's what I'm saying. Because of that, you have to you can't just say, yeah, things are running hot right now. You gotta roll with it, like you have to now go back and look at us and what was different? Was it execution? Was it just that we were just getting tostedos? Right? You have to go and really look at it and say, okay, what was the major difference When you can't, I don't believe that you can feel secure enough with somebody making that decision by saying, oh, yeah, once he's in place, we're good, because that's not the system.
Speaker 6: That is.
Speaker 4: That is one person impacting way too much of the.
Speaker 8: Game and they kind of pick it back of what you're saying. If if that happens, you bring Mike zimmern back and you lose Al Harris, I think you're gonna get that either way. I think you are going to get a step back in play because the secondary has been, at least for me, consistent all the way through the year.
Speaker 1: Sure, and.
Speaker 6: I can't foresee them, so I would love to have Superman and Batman on my team. If it's only Batman, and then there's only so much you can do about it, you know. Yeah, I agree. I think Al Harris leaving would be a step back. But I'm not going to take away any credit from what Mike zimmer has done. Because you're talking about self scouting and going inward and changing some of the problems that happened earlier in the year, and how that's needed.
Speaker 5: I think they've already done.
Speaker 6: That, because yes, Micah returns and that adds a huge element to this defense. Jordan Lewis said it on Sunday after the game. He said, well, yeah, you know, we've been pretty good since Micah got back. I don't know if that was the whole game plan, but he is a monster. You can't He's been an incredible football.
Speaker 4: I'm not disagreeing with them, but when I look at somebody's system. I believe that the system has to be effective regardless if your number one star player is in there or not. As we're talking about the quarterback position, which is a major right, So that's what I'm talking about, especially when we talk about defense. Right, defense, it is a holistic thing. You're not relying on one person to be just your impact guy. You need multiple guys doing their thing. Now, he's had to battle through talking about Zimmer, that is, he's had to deal with a tremendous amount of injuries and that's unfortunate. But again, this defense before Micah, defense after Micah, two completely different defenses. Yeah, that is the system sound enough to work regardless of if Mike is there or not. He's asked Mike question.
Speaker 6: He's the only all pro on that defense that has had that big of an impact when he wasn't around.
Speaker 5: I mean, you just won a game without Trayvon Diggs.
Speaker 6: You've won multiple games without DeMarcus Lawrence, You've won multiple games now without Demarvin Overshown.
Speaker 5: I mean, you have these guys that are all stepping up.
Speaker 6: Mike is the only one that you can circle and say, yeah, when he wasn't there, they weren't very good, but they also were playing the meat of their schedule and some of the top teams in the NFL.
Speaker 8: And it's not like the run defense didn't bounce back in MICHAEH. Parsons's absence. You saw a definite improvement while he was out. Granted there was no path rush to be heard of, it's there, but you did see the run defense improve, which is obviously players but also coaching as well.
Speaker 6: Yeah, all right, let's sneak in a call before our first break, AB in Redondo Beach, California.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what's going on? AB? You're on talking Cowboys?
Speaker 11: I'm good.
Speaker 12: How you doing? Merry Christmas?
Speaker 5: Christmas, my friend, how are you?
Speaker 12: I'm doing well. I'm kind of conflicted though, because on one hand, I'm happy that the Cowboys are winning, but on the other hand, I hope it's not gonna save McCarthy as far as coach. Oh, I'm just I'm not sold on him winning. I mean, his offense and stuff. Long term, I'm not sold on it. And you know, I get that everybody's playing hard, but you have to ask, you know, are they playing hard because they're trying to get another paycheck or are they really playing hard just for him? I mean, I guess it's a combination of both. And then, you know, the thing that I don't think anybody thinks about is how many super Bowl co which is of one with the second team.
Speaker 5: I believe only one or two.
Speaker 12: I think it's very few, exactly. Yeah, And we tried it with ourselves, we try it with him, and it has worked out. You know, I think they need to go something fresh, something new, something more innovative than what he's bringing out right now.
Speaker 5: I appreciate the call. You are not wrong in your opinion. You can't be wrong in your opinion.
Speaker 6: Uh. And you're also not alone there. Either there's a lot of Cowboys fans that are split because of this, or I think we're starting to see more of a fifty to fifty split. I don't know if it's there yet, but.
Speaker 5: Five weeks ago it was not very fifty to fifty.
Speaker 8: No, So what was going to happen with the coach moving forward? Very clarified weeks ago?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what were you gonna have there?
Speaker 7: Not so much.
Speaker 4: I just I think people have been spoiled. I truly think people have been spoiled by twelve in seasons. That's just the truth.
Speaker 1: You got three of them in a row. That's just a lot of winning.
Speaker 4: People are spoiled by twelve wins and people feel they feel as if you're supposed to just show up and that happens. Now, you just show up and we win twelve games. That's how That's not how the work Listen League works. And this year obviously is an anomaly because of injuries, and you still might be nine to eight, you know, by the end of the year. And if you go nine and eight with this year, it's absolutely insane. But the fact that McCarthy, what he's done over his stint here is it's not given enough respect at all, No at all, because everybody wants change, but everybody's not willing to run the risk that change brings.
Speaker 1: And change takes a long time.
Speaker 4: Change takes a long time. Change takes personnel changes, change takes scheme changes, change takes the the empathy and the willingness to allow for a losing seasons while they figure things seas seasons. Yes, okay, so everybody wants change until change happens and you have to go through the mess to come out. Yeah, the grand pace, so be careful, be careful what you wish for people. I understand your your sentiments, I respect your sentiments, but you don't just wake up and win twelve games. Look around the league, lick around the league, and you will understand that if you're going to go another direction with the coach, understand this. You're either going to get a coach who has failed somewhere else, or you're going to get a brand new coach who's never done it before.
Speaker 6: Yes, and I would like to add on the second side of that, the second side if you and I wish I would have asked ab who his replacement would be? Who would you hire in that case, because of course we can't say names up here as well. But when when you're looking at it and you're saying, oh, the new guy that's out there, all these names that have been thrown out there in terms of replacements, when's the last time the Cowboy or not the Cowboys, But a team has won a Super Bowl with a head coach that's.
Speaker 5: New, probably Sean McVay.
Speaker 1: And that's it.
Speaker 5: I mean, look at this different. You've got Andy Reid.
Speaker 8: We're talking about Kyle Shannonday, exact same things.
Speaker 6: It still hasn't won one. Here are the super Bowl winning head coaches. I'm just going to start reading, and you're going to see a trend here. Andy Reid, of course, he's won a couple of them. Sean McVay, we just mentioned him, Bruce Arians, Bill Belichick, Doug Peterson, Gary Kubiak, Pete Carroll, John Harball, Tom Coughlin.
Speaker 5: Harball would be considered a new coach back in that time.
Speaker 6: That was back in twenty thirteen, Tom Coughlin, Mike McCarthy was a new coach back in twenty ten, twenty eleven. He was still in his fifth year with that organization at that time. Sean Palin or Sean Payton, Mike Tomlin, Tom Coughlin, Tony Dungee, Bill Cower.
Speaker 5: You get the point. You get the point. It doesn't just pop it over here.
Speaker 4: Coaches.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And these are all guys that have either won Super Bowls or had multiple Super Bowls, or had Hall of Fame caliber quarterbacks. And I don't know, I just I don't think you can look at what Mike McCarthy has done here and just.
Speaker 1: Show it away, of course, for nothing.
Speaker 8: And that's kind of what people want to do, and that was a big reason why they heard him in the first place. You wanted someone that's been there before, someone that that can come in and act like they've been there before.
Speaker 4: Obviously, what's his overall record here?
Speaker 1: That's a great question, pretty pretty wild.
Speaker 4: I just want to pink that picture.
Speaker 6: I mean, twelve and five, twelve and five, twelve and five. He was what seven and nine in the first year, it was crazy, and then yeah, that was this COVID year.
Speaker 1: And then he's one game under five hundred here, he's out of one ten overall. Yeah, in Dallas, in Dallas, right.
Speaker 4: So yeah, plus fifteen.
Speaker 6: Let's take a break and we'll get it on the other side of the break. We're talking cowboys right after this. If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag box or can you purchase help support that mission, Head to your local grocery store and roast.
Speaker 13: Yourself some black Rifle coffee. Today, Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G.
Speaker 11: Fast, reliable, secure.
Speaker 14: Five G requires compatable plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 6: It's the official min's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans could get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare at and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy LIPBAM make a play for the playmaker at Getjack black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 15: If you shout how about them cowboys? You have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better yet, Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 1: The wins will be even tastier. It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 5: To Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 6: Welcome back to Talking Cowboys, Presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company. This portion of the show is brought to you by Quaker Oats, the official oatmeals pont of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 5: Quaker Oats trusted since eighteen seventy seven.
Speaker 8: The record was the record was oh his record is forty nine to thirty three the winningest Cowboys head coach since won Barry Switzer in ninety seven.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 5: Yeah, in terms of win percentage, you're talking about.
Speaker 8: Percentage in terms of win percent that's m McCarthy, baby coach McCarthy.
Speaker 5: That is no.
Speaker 1: But his postseason record one three.
Speaker 5: That's where I find criticism to be.
Speaker 6: Okay, you brought him in to win championships, to get you to an NFC title game, to elevate dak in what he could do.
Speaker 5: He's done. That's that's done. Check that box. But you haven't gone to an NFC championship game. That's where the criticism comes.
Speaker 6: Well, but I just find it hard to believe when you look outside and say, oh, this name, this name, this name, are gonna do what he's doing right now with this football team and are going to galvanize this team enough to where they're saying, oh, we're out of playoff contention, and we're still winning four out of five games and we're making things happen. You're one play away from making the playoffs.
Speaker 5: With Cooper Rush as your starting quarterback.
Speaker 1: I find it hard to believe. It's hard to believe.
Speaker 8: And we say all this and we give him all the we give him the praise here that he is deserved of.
Speaker 1: Right, Yes, but but you look at that Green Bay game.
Speaker 5: It was bad.
Speaker 6: I mean, and I think a lot of that blame falls on the guy that's now the head coach in Washington, by the way, I do. Yeah, dan Quinn completely kerfuffled that entire game plan because he was trying to hide Steph on Gilmour playing and simple Stephan Gilmour was hurt options and they said, you know what, we were a one armed Stephan Gilmour to play in zone coverage instead of man like they had played eighty percent of the time last year. They decided to go zone against a team that does nothing but run the ball effectively and then throw the ball over the middle of the field with Jordan Love. No, that was a stupid game plan, and that's what happened in Green Bay. I don't I don't put all that on my mara. I put a lot of that on the role in the beginning.
Speaker 5: It wasn't good either.
Speaker 6: I'm not putting it all on McCart I'm putting a lot of it on dan Quinn too. It's a solid fifty to fifty team effort. Said, yeah, team effort. We're gonna go get our butts kicked in the wild.
Speaker 1: That's what happened. Is It's plain and simple.
Speaker 8: It's just to me, that game was such a I think you've said it before, something about that game broke this team and we're still reeling from the effects of that.
Speaker 1: I still am to this day. I mean, I when I think of it, I chudder, you know what I mean. It's just not it doesn't feel good, guys.
Speaker 8: So I think some of the stink of that game is upsetting a lot of Cowboys fans, and obviously the way that this year's gone. I totally understand where they're coming from as far as like, what.
Speaker 5: Are we doing here?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 8: But if you've been following the team, like I know you have because you are all Cowboy fans and you're listening to talking Cowboys, you have to respect what he has done with the cards he's been dealt this season.
Speaker 4: Listen, Winning seasons just don't I just want people to take a step back. You don't just stumble upon winning seasons, especially twelve. Just don't stumble upon twelve win seasons. And you don't get a chance at the playoffs unless you have those winning seasons. I just want to remind everybody of that this league is hard. This league is hard, and to get a winning season is hard, especially in this division, and to and to be in position to go to the playoffs. Once you get to the playoffs, it's hard. Playoffs are hard. Name. Just just pick another coach, Pick another coach out there for this is going to call in. Tell us a coach that does really well in the playoffs that is going to be available for the Dallas Cowboys that's been a head coach.
Speaker 5: Good question. I'm going to play a little exercise here.
Speaker 6: Name the three teams right now that have the best chance to win the Super Bowl out of the NFC.
Speaker 4: Go right, the NFC, right man, I'm going with the you gotta go Eagles. You don't, Yeah, you have to really good, solid Eagles. The way Green Bays play, I can't hate to say that. That's I don't want to say NFC, NFC, NFC the team and blew up.
Speaker 8: Yeah Lions than Lions.
Speaker 4: Yeah they got to overcome a lot, but yeah, yeah they're in there.
Speaker 6: So let me just phrase it this way. The first team you named there was the Eagles. How many wins do they have right now, twelve twelve. They have twelve wins, so they're gonna they're gonna win the NFC East, right, hm uh, and they're probably gonna end up as the two seed in the NFC. That's pretty that's a crazy, well run organization that continues to do things all the way through. You're going to see him this week. Pretty damn good football team, right. Yes, what did the Dallas Cowboys do last year? Yes, I know they laid an egg, but they had all of those things working in favor going into the playoffs.
Speaker 5: You don't just stumble upon that. And that's kind of my point there is you don't just.
Speaker 4: I'm telling people are spoilt. You can't people like that. But you're spoiled. You're spoiled. You're spoiled. That's okay, now word, it just means you just ow it. You're spoiled. You used to you're used to coach McCarthy winning you twelve games a year, and you're talking about like, oh, that's just gonna happen. We're gonna be in the play Yeah, it's a given. It's not how this game works.
Speaker 6: If this team was healthy going into the playoffs and had a chance to do something special and then laid an egg again. Then we can have the conversation because you're one and four in the playoffs and it just hasn't worked out. However, this isn't a normal season. You weren't given, like you said, the cards that were dealt with differently. And I know a lot of people are probably already tuning us out because they're like, oh, they're just offending Mike McCarthy. They're on the Cowboys away. This is what football is, and that's just plain and simple what it is. We've been very critical of Mike McCarthy in the past, sometimes to a fault.
Speaker 4: We've we've had our own individual conversation. Man, everybody can get it. Okay, well keep it one hundred were analyst.
Speaker 5: This is this is not one of those situations.
Speaker 6: Let's go to tyrone in Pennsylvania, tyrone on the line in enemy country.
Speaker 7: What's going on, gentlemen, Marry Christmas.
Speaker 1: Mary, Christmas Iron.
Speaker 4: That's right, that's right, Eric, Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Hey, that's everything. I'm thirty eight years old, and anyone that's my age group are a little older. They sing that song the minute they hear me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm not I'm not going to sing that song to you, but I will acknowledge it.
Speaker 7: So I'm going to actually piggyback off of what y'all just were talking about with Mike McCarthy. So Neil I think his name is Neil O'donnald Vikings head coach. That's a new coach. Nick Sirianni, that's a new head coach. Dan Campbell that's the new head coach. Sure right, So all three of those coaches were coordinators that the team hired and moved on from, you know, other coaches that weren't getting it done.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: My take with Mike McCarthy is he's Tony Dungee. He's the two thousand Tony Dungee. So he has an amazing one side of the ball that's going to be our offense. Tony Duneys was the defense, and for whatever reason, as great as Tony Dungee was and he eventually won a Super Bowl, he could not get that Buck team over the hump. And it took them going outside and say what you want about the man. We're not going to talk about the man, but the coach, John Ruden was able to fix the other side of the ball that prevented them from getting over the hump and eventually got you know, well not eventually got them the super Bowl that they were looking for. So that's my take on Mike McCarthy. I think as we may be spoiled with ten win seasons, but ten win we need now, we need the next step, right like that. That's what it is the Cowboys over the last twenty five years. Go look at the records. This isn't new. The Cowboys have been one of the most winningest teams sure over the last twenty five years. And Mike McCarthy is the best head coach we've had since Jimmy Johnson. I will put Mike McCarthy over Bill Parselves, I really will.
Speaker 5: He's had more success, Yeah.
Speaker 7: He's had more success, longevity, everything, but he's just not getting it done in the issue for me has always been his unwillingness to ad just sooner. That has been my biggest gripe. You have a thousand yard back fa ric odawbeles he's probably gonna hit a thousand yards, which that's not that big of a deal with seventeen games, but he's gonna hit a thousand yards. Probably he probably would have hit twelve thirteen if they would have ran the ball earlier. But this whole game plan with Cooper Rush, why can't we do this game plan with Dak Prescott.
Speaker 5: I've got and we do that.
Speaker 6: I've got two follow up questions for you. You named the Lions, the Eagles, and the Vikings head coaches. I mean, I know, and you can, yeah, throw the Commanders in there too.
Speaker 5: How many how many of those coaches do you feel like would be available for the Cowboys to go and plug this year?
Speaker 7: I would actually look at either Robert Sala or Mike Rabel.
Speaker 6: Okay, so two guys that have failed in different spots, one in the Tennessee Titans and one at the New York Jets.
Speaker 7: Right, Well, I wouldn't call Mike Graybolt failing because he took Ryan Tannehill to an AFC title game.
Speaker 6: Fair.
Speaker 7: I would not say that the sale because for me, that would be a successful someone that got a Super Bowl. I'm just looking for someone who has taken the next step more recently than Mike McCarthy and Ryan Tannehill to me, taking Ryan Tannehill on the Titan to an ANFC title game where we haven't snipped the NFC Title game, and you know, I was like eight years old that that that's a big deal for me, right, Like, that's something that I would like to see, you know, before I'm forty, and.
Speaker 6: I'm I'm glad that you're you're bringing that up, because you're right, you're not looking at coaches that have Super Bowls because all six coaches that you named don't have a Super Bowl currently. But I do want to ask you this. You said you brought up Tony Dungee and the transition to John Gruden. I get that as a comparison. I actually liked that comparison a lot. Tony Dungee was a great head coach in his own right, so was John Gruden. However, do you feel like when you look at this roster right now, do you feel like this roster is good enough in order to take the next step moving forward? Because a lot of the gripe this year has been this roster is not good enough. They did not do enough in the offseason, they did not do enough here. The cap space is garbage at this point, and you're going to have some more cap space garbage to deal with in twenty twenty five. Do you feel like a coach, one guy, one leader that can come in out of the street and immediately fix what's going on with this Cowboys organization is out there and available right now, because I don't see my point.
Speaker 7: My thing is with that is I think this is every king deals with that cap space issue, every single team deals with it. If you have top end talent at different times, yes, so you're gonna deal with that. But what the good coaches do. They squeeze as much juice out of that lemon as they can.
Speaker 6: Like winning four games in five game if five games with Cooper Rush at quarterback, Oh hey.
Speaker 7: He again, what he has done over this five game span has been impressive. I will give him that. However, it's just I can't forget what has happened leading up to it. I can't forget that.
Speaker 5: I just I'm just we're just playing devil's advocations.
Speaker 7: That's what I am.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 4: I respect your opinion, I respect your inside. I'm just are you forgetting about the three twelve one seasons?
Speaker 7: No, not at all.
Speaker 4: Are you taking Are you taking those for granted?
Speaker 7: No, I'm not taking them for granted. But at the same time, the you know, Jason Garrett had a couple of those Waite Phillips had, you.
Speaker 5: Know, but none of it.
Speaker 4: But none of them had a winning percentage like coach McCarthy. No, no, no matter what name you bring up, unless you go all the way back to to Swisser, nobody's gonna have a better regular season winning record than coach McCarthy. And without a regular season record like that, you don't get to the playoffs.
Speaker 7: At the same time, though, don't we want to get past that that that wall.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, but you have to get there. So I'm saying, are we taking are we taking the getting their portion for granted?
Speaker 7: No, no, but sometimes you you know, sometimes you can't be scared of change. You know, what it sounds like is complacency. To me, that's what it sounds like. It's like, oh, this is the first step. Cool, the first step is there? I think we have we have the talent to always do that. We always have the talent to win nine, ten to eleven games minimum. I always see that people want to play in Dallas, they draft well. Will McClay is probably, in my opinion, the best non.
Speaker 5: GM in in you know, the I'll agree with you there, Yeah, And we.
Speaker 7: Will always draft well and we will always find little diamonds and gems in the rough. You know, that will that will be able to pay little but get top end productions or not top end, but you know like that production.
Speaker 4: I respect that opinion. But the game's changed. From a player standpoint, the game has changed. Cats are not going to places because of what's on the helmet anymore. Cats are going to places because I got to get my money. Right now, I'm just telling you from the player's perspective, it has changed. You bring up Will McLay. Will McLay is not a sure thing to be back here next year. That's another thing. That's another conversation that has to be had going into this offseason. Right, there's things that have changed in that regard. So you can't rest your head on this. Yeah, we're gonna draft, Well, that's not a sure thing going forward. Well, and then you talk about the cap space. You don't have top three players at three different positions in every team in the league, right, You don't have that, So that's not a fair comparison either. So these are all things that you have to take into consideration. And are you, as a fan, willing if you know, if you feel comfortable and confident. And we've been spoiled, from Mike McCarthy's standpoint for the last three years to get twelve wins seasons, and this year you might even still find a way to get a winning season. Are you willing to take one, two, maybe three years of losing for another coach to come in here and establish his system.
Speaker 6: Yeah, That's where I'm at with it, Tyrone. Great call, by the way, Thank you for calling. Appreciate all the insight.
Speaker 1: I love it because he's asking really real love, he really is.
Speaker 5: And and his opinion is valid.
Speaker 6: Yes, there's lack of consistency in the playoffs, playing and simple you're one and three in the playoffs.
Speaker 5: I get it.
Speaker 6: But if you what he's asking for as a coach to come in and immediately take you to the promised lands.
Speaker 4: That's what everybody wants.
Speaker 6: But like the best chance for you to get to the promised land is currently in that head coach's office across the way.
Speaker 4: If so, look at it from this perspective, I know we gotta get out here, listen, get to the playoffs. So you, if you have the confidence that your team is going to be in position to go to the playoffs, with a coach McCarthy right aside from this year where you had a gazillion injuries. Would you rather have a coach that you just want him to focus have to work on one aspect of his coaching, which is getting through the playoffs, or would you rather get another coach that has to worry about getting to the playoffs and then getting through the playoffs as well. That's what you're looking at. So you can call that complacent if you want to, or you can look at it and say, okay, this one, this person needs to work on this one aspect and if they if they, if they nail that, if they nail that, then guess what we're We're having a whole different conversation. Or are you ready to the dice and get somebody else in here and be like, oh crap, you know what. We thought that was a good idea, but oh we just don't know.
Speaker 1: Is it complacency or consistency?
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly exactly.
Speaker 6: Let's take a break. When we come back, we'll wrap this one up and send you off to Christmas. Here on Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 11: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah.
Speaker 16: Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew.
Speaker 11: At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure.
Speaker 14: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your areas. See add dot com slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 17: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agen Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere tractors, COMBA residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official lagonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 4: Hey, y'all.
Speaker 9: Matt Pittman of Meat Church here with football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer handcramp and cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yetie Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on Yetti dot com. Check it out today. YETI Official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys, and we're going to overtime.
Speaker 11: Erica, how much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 18: For questions about their money? Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial assistant in the Bank of America mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankfamerica dot com com slash Erica by your side. Bank of America, Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica responses may very digital tools featured required downloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the Englis language. Your chap maybe recorded and monitored for quality assurance. Message data rates and additional terms may apply. Bank of America and a number FDIC.
Speaker 5: To Talking Cowboys, Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 6: This portion of the show is brought to you by in Visil Line, the official Smile of the Dallas Cowboys with Josh Rodriguez, Isaiah stand back high, I'm Kyle Yeomen's Chris Beam in the back.
Speaker 5: We've also got Josh in Chicago on the line with job.
Speaker 19: Hey, guys, how you doing great?
Speaker 4: Hello?
Speaker 19: Good, Hey. I just wanted to tell you, Josh, this one's for you more than anybody but Carl lass And said it's Clober and time out there, man.
Speaker 8: Colo in Philadelphia this Sunday.
Speaker 4: I love.
Speaker 19: It's hopefully yeah, hopefully on Sunday too. No, so I really quickly. I just wanted to say I got two under two that I'm at home with right now, and your whole production crew. Everybody, Merry Christmas, and thank you guys for being here today because you know, I know you all are probably stressing about some personal stuff too, right that you got to get done. So it's awesome that you guys are still put on our show today and I appreciate that.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Thanks Josh, appreciate it. Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas to year two, and I hope Santa brings them everything that they ask.
Speaker 19: Oh, yes, sir, yes, sir.
Speaker 1: No, thanks to Patrick who's not here.
Speaker 19: Yeah, he's out there on a RP island right now, right, I.
Speaker 6: Love it, Josh, appreciate your call as always, Merry Christmas and say hello to the little ones for us.
Speaker 5: Appreciate you as always, right, Yeah.
Speaker 19: Oh sorry, I just got to make one quick point on if I can. Yeah, So, on the Mike McCarthy contract, I called last week, I said, you know, two years, and I think like you got to keep them on a short least, maybe get a different play caller in there. But at the consistency of twelve and five straight seasons, you can't just let that go and go unnoticed. The playoffs are what the playoffs are, right man. Playoffs are a different game, as Isaiah will probably say. But I do have a question for Isaiah more than anybody, I think, looking at McCarthy, it's been almost like the culture has been the culture of winning the last three seasons, and I kind of wonder is that actually a culture because you look around the league at some of these other teams like Detroit, that's more of a culture of like grit and fighting. But is winning itself a culture? And that's kind of what I wanted to ask, is more than anybody, But thanks, guys, have a great day, Merry Christmas.
Speaker 4: Thanks. Now that's a really good question. And yes, winning is a culture. It's an expectation of It is an expectation of a certain level of excellence.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: So certain things are not tolerated, and you can say those things aren't tolerated in most places. But here in Dallas you've you've always seen that they've found a way to win ball games or at least always competitive in a position to win ball games. You can't say that about every organization. And when you come into certain programs, right, there's an understanding of how to go about your business there just is when I when I was here in Dallas, there is a way to go about your business. When I went to New England, it was a hello, it was totally different, right, And those are cultural changes based upon the leadership that's in the building, and in Dallas there is they have their own unique way. But when you step on that field, there's never a time in past years where you felt like Dallas is about to get blown out. I think there's only one team really earlier.
Speaker 5: This year was the only time I felt that way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But I mean I go back to, you know, there's only one team in recent years when you play them, you're like, oh, this is probably not going to go well. And that was the forty nine ers. Yeah, and the forty nine you just felt like the forty nine ers just had Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 1: They had their numbers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they had their number So, I mean, and that was a physicality thing, that was a mentality, but outside of that, you always felt like you were going to be competitive. So, yes, winning is a culture, but it takes time and it takes a foundation to establish that. And so when we're talking to people and getting these opinions in regards to bringing to somebody else, understand that you're an etching sketch and you're you're just shaking it up, right, and you have a blank slate, and now you want that person to come in, and you're asking that person to not only come in and supersede what the twelve and five coach did, but supersede that and then go past the where he went in the playoffs. That's just that's wishful thinking. Yeah, it's wishful thinking.
Speaker 6: And it may happen. It may happen, but may is like hope, and we know hope's not a strategy. It's the same thing on the opposite. And you could hire or you could extend Mike McCarthy in to go south. That may happen, but that's why you play the game, absolutely.
Speaker 5: Why it happens.
Speaker 6: And I think you got to look at it from a pure I don't want to say analytical because that's not true.
Speaker 5: It's more more so a feel.
Speaker 6: It's more so you got to look inward and say, who's game is going to give us the best shot to do what we want to do, which is get to an NFC title game, and that's win a Super Bowl.
Speaker 5: Who's going to give you the best shot to do it?
Speaker 6: If you sit there, as Jerry Jones in your your office upstairs and you say, Mike Vrabel's that guy, Sure go ahead, get it done. If you can sit there and you say Mike McCarthy's that guy, I think I would agree with you say there's a shot there too.
Speaker 5: You've got to make that decision. This front office has got to make that decision.
Speaker 6: We heard the great call from Tyrone, which I'm going to say it again, that's a phenomenal call. He brought up a lot of great points, and I think it's a lot of what the fans are thinking about right now.
Speaker 5: And I get it, I really do.
Speaker 6: There's a frustration with the way that they played in the playoffs, but he said, you got to squeeze all of what you can out of the roster.
Speaker 5: You're seeing that right now.
Speaker 6: We've got a guy in Josh's Chicago mentioning Carl Lawson and what he said after the game, who the heck is Karl Lawson?
Speaker 7: For this season?
Speaker 6: Nobody would have known who the heck Carl Lawson was. Now you do, and he's one of the top guys on the in this pass rush. A lot of that has to do with the culture of winning and squeezing the rest out of that limon like they're doing right now.
Speaker 5: And I get it.
Speaker 6: It's a draft and develop organization, and you get a lot of these guys, plain and simple. They've whiffed on two drafts so far, back to back, and that's part of why you're having some problems.
Speaker 8: That's tough to say true, but it's true Whift completely.
Speaker 1: I think it's tough.
Speaker 6: We the one guy that we are I would say two guys and they're both linebackers, de Marvin Overshown, who we won't see until twenty twenty six. And the other guy you feel pretty good about it is Mary Sleafu Yeah, and Cooper b B.
Speaker 1: I guess Cooper BB up front.
Speaker 6: So maybe not Whift, but let's say they like fouled one off a couple of times and they they may have hit a seeing ice single up the middle.
Speaker 8: I would say the last two drafts have not been perfect, but I don't know who has had a perfect draft.
Speaker 1: I mean it's other than the Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Like this game of football, it's really this game of football. Top is not a sure thing, No, like, it's just not. Man, it's hard. It's hard. And I know from fan standpoint, people get behind their brand and they rock with them and they have a level of expectation, but crap's a hard. Man is really difficult, and it changes every year.
Speaker 8: And I guarantee you if just case in point, the Lions they make it to of course they're going to the playoffs. They don't get to the Super Bowl. They don't win the Super Bowl, they take a step back next year. Are the fans gonna be upset? Are the fans going to be like.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, and there's going to because they're gonna have a lot of change. They're probably gonna lose both of their coordinators probably.
Speaker 8: So you'd expect the fans then to Are they going to be positive about it, like all right, guys, we'll get back or are they going to expect because they've been spoiled from this year, like well, we got to go right back to the super Bowl, right, No, we're gonna go right back to it.
Speaker 5: They're happy to be there.
Speaker 4: They are most likely going to lose both of their coordinators. There's gonna be a ton of change there, just like there's change because.
Speaker 1: They're gonna be highly sought up.
Speaker 4: They're gonna be highly sought out for. They stay. Both of their coordinators stayed last year, they're not staying again.
Speaker 5: Didn't Philly lose both of their coordinators last year? Yeah, they're still winning the games. Anyways, let's continue, So we'll talk again on Thursday. Merry Christmas.
Speaker 6: Everybody have some fun over the next couple of days. Happy Holidays for all those who celebrate as well.
Speaker 5: We love you all.
Speaker 6: Thank you for calling in, Thank you for all the support throughout the season. Here on Talking Cowboys, and we will talk to you again Thursday. We're gonna do a show and tell with with Josh's Oculus and his brand new Yes give him Santa.
Speaker 4: Everybody meet at Josh's house all right for Josh Ryder.
Speaker 6: You guys, Isaiah stand back, Chris Beam in the Back'm Kyle Yeoman saying so long.
Speaker 5: We'll see you on Thursday. Merry Christmas, Cowboys Nation.
Speaker 2: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.