Speaker 1: Is this a great game or what with the Hall of Famer Tim Kirkchen I'm his son, Jeff Kirkchhon and Dad, We're not gonna go poor me, poor Jeff, poor Popop or anything like that. But this has been by far the hardest organization in order in our company's history in order to get this podcast rolling today. You are in Los Angeles, obviously a three hour time change from where I am in Florida, our final day at disney World. So you're saying, Jeff, you can't sacrifice a day at Disney World for your baby girl McKinley and your wife Emily. But I'm saying, Dad, you can't stay up all day and do a record in the morning. And so we landed on because we're both nuts. I said, I was willing to get up after last night's Dodgers game at two in the morning to record with you, and you said no. So you were four o'clock. I am seven am. You are in your hotel lobby, and I am outside of some unfortunate people's rooms here at a Disney World resort. It's the only way we can make it happen.
Speaker 2: Right, and we're gonna make it happen, Jeff, because Buster only taught me a good rule. When you're doing a podcast, you can't do it from your hotel room because you wake up the entire floor. So we're going to try to be more considerate and do this from the lobby of my hotel. Here in Santa Monica. The Pacific Ocean is like twenty feet away. It's unbelievable where we're staying, just so we can call. Of course, ESPN is doing the Met's Dodgers game and most important Jack Jeff. It's Jackie Robinsonday, and it's April to fifteenth. This is the date of when he broke the color barrier in nineteen forty seven and changed the game. So needless to say, he is the most important player in Major League history. He's one of the greatest players in Major League history. And Wednesday night, it'll be so cool at Dodger Stadium, especially at every player on the field, just like every player on the field in every game will be wearing number forty two. It's just an amazing tribute.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Dad, it's really really special. And obviously we're recording on the fifteenth and we will be doing this show. The show will be released to you on the sixteenth, so you will have seen the presentations at ballparks across the country and how special that is. And I think it's important, and I'm just gonna lay it out there, Dad, I think it's important for two white guys like us, right, who white guys have been playing baseball for one hundreds and hundreds of years at this point. I think it's so amazing to recognize so many players of color who attribute their careers to Jackie Robinson, who grew up and saw Jackie Robinson on a field and said, oh my gosh, I can do that because I see a black man on the field, right, that makes a big difference. I like in that. And this is just a brief aside. Now that I'm a girl, Dad and I have a daughter, you know, I think it's amazing when we have, you know, females in power, or a female doctor or a female astronaut on Artemis too, right. It makes me think, oh my gosh, my daughter's going to grow up watching this thinking I can do anything I want. These players, Dad, were inspired by Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier, right.
Speaker 2: And I'll never forget talking to Hank Aaron in that famous night where he did the game in the booth with us from Atlanta, the greatest night of my professional life. And that's what he talked about. He said, if it weren't for Jackie Robinson, I would have never even thought that I could have a chance to play in the major leagues. And he went on to become, of course, one of the greatest players of all time. But Jeff, it's not just players of color. I talked to Bobashet yesterday of the Mets, and I said, Bo, when did you first hear about? When did you first know who Jackie Robinson was? And he basically said, well, really from the as far back as I can remember, because my dad, Dante bushit really good major leaguer. He told me all about him when I was just a little kid. So we'll get more into it later. So let's just say this is a great, great celebration night and the game that we're doing, the Dodgers and the Mets, both teams were planning to go out and see the Jackie Robinson statue at Dodgers Stadium as teams and Carlos Mendoza, the manager of the Mets, was going to speak and Dave Roberts, the manager of the Dodgers, was going to speak, so the whole team was getting in on what this lesson is today about Jackie Robinson. I love that.
Speaker 1: I love that for Major League Baseball today. I love it for the young players. I love it for the kids. I love that kids are going to go to a baseball game on a Wednesday afternoon in April and learn something in addition to have so much fun, right, And that's what baseball is all.
Speaker 2: So Joe Ostermeier is one of our really good listeners and viewers. What a smart guy. He's an old guy like me, but he knows a lot of stuff. So he listened to the All Disney team last week and thought it was great. Although instead of having Orlando Hernandez as one of our pictures, he thought Orlando Sepaida should have been our first baseman. But Joe's from Saint Louis and that's where Orlando Cipaida was great, among other places. But he told me something about Walt Disney that I didn't know. You know what, Walt Disney. The Walt Disney's middle name is his middle name is Elias E. L Ias, so his oh yeah, he was named after his father. So Walt Disney's middle name is Elias, and we we used the Elias portion of Frank from The Elias all the time. Did you not find this hysterically funny?
Speaker 1: That this is spectacular? The only the only thing that could have been better if his name was Walter Johnson Disney, And that would be pretty amazing. Did I ever tell you I went to Quin's Order and High school.
Speaker 2: Walter Frank from the Elias Disney. It was great. So I really got to kick out of that. Our our listeners and our viewers are just sending along stuff every single day that we're using now because this is an interactive show and we just love to hear what others have to say about all of this stuff. So that's great.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, speaking of an interactive show, unfortunately, the Wheel of Kirkhin could not fit on my carry on baggage going to Disney World. It's a pretty big wheel. So I want to ask our listeners to send us suggestions for the Wheel of Kirkchen. So that's a wheel we have back at the studio and we write it could be anything from ground out right, just like a simple base to the seventy three mets right like, you send us and we'll spin the wheel and whatever it lands on, Dad has to riff on it for a couple minutes and we write it down on our board. So we're low on suggestions because I asked like weeks ago. So you can message us great gamer dot com, super easy to do that. And yeah, get on there and send us some suggestions for the Wheel of Kirksham when we started up again next week.
Speaker 3: Kratz the world has a cord problem. Wires everywhere. It's twenty twenty six and it is time to get a ridge wallet.
Speaker 4: Five and one. It's not a wallet, it's a charger. Look at this thing. It sticks to your phone. You push the button, it charges your phone while you can charge two different items at the same time. Oh and don't forget while it's charging. You got a little a little lean to John that'll help it sit right there. Appreciate your ridgewallet.
Speaker 3: This is so nice, which is great for me. If I'm at there, I'm watching a game, I can charge five devices and then I can just watch something on the phone. Of course, they still have the wallets that are money too, and we know the code. It's nice and simple it's foul foul. One thing to pack. Five ways to power. You can find Ridge's Power Bank at best Buy or our listeners can get ten percent off at Ridge dot Com by using code foul at checkout. Head to Ridge dot com use code foul and you're all set. After your purchase, they'll ask you where you heard about him? Please support ft until them we sent you.
Speaker 1: All right, dak Takeaways, What do you have for us?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm here in La and I just can't help but just be amazed watching show hey Otani play, and we've all been amazed by him. So he's reached based now in forty eight consecutive games, which is the most by any Japanese born player in the history of baseball. So even each road never reached in forty eight straight games. And I'm not trying to diminish what he did, but Ted Williams reach base in eighty four straight games forty eight to eighty four. I mean, that's how great Ted Williams was. And show hey, this is remarkable that he hasn't had it oh for four and oh for five forty eight straight games. Ted Williams holds the record at eighty four straight games reaching base safety.
Speaker 1: Wow, And I mean you just think of each ei Ro hit machine, right, Dad, What did you tell us a couple of weeks ago that like in his third game his batting average went above three hundred and for the rest of his career it never sunk below three hundreds.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Well, that's Etroo all right. So Jordan Walker of the Cardinals, they've been waiting and waiting and waiting for him to find it, for the light to go on, and it has. Jordan Walker has eight home runs. By the way, the Giants just hit their ninth homer on Tuesday, so now they have out homer Jordan Walker this year. Giants is not being critical, still don't have anyone with eight RBIs, but Jordan Walker has eight home runs. Just shows you how difficult to start it's been offensively for the Giants. But the point is Jordan Walker, who's so big, so strong and such a great kid, maybe he's maybe he's founded, And that doesn't mean he's going to keep finding it because as we talk about all the time, Jeff, the light goes on and off so quickly in this sport, usually without any sort of explanation, and that's what we love so much. Speaking which, Jose Soriano of the Angels has been arguably the best pitcher in the game so far, zero point three to three ERA through four starts. He's allowed one n run and struck out thirty one. So the Angels are a very interesting team. We'll get to them in a minute. In the Quirk Chins, speaking of you know, comeback pictures, Jeffrey Springs has a one forty seven ERA for the A's. And keep in mind, in twenty twenty two he was so good and then he got hurt. And Pete Fairbanks, who was on the podcast few years ago, told me, he said, I am positive if he hadn't gotten hurt, he would have won the cy Young in twenty twenty three. And Jeffrey Springs throws like ninety two miles an hour, Jeff not ninety nine miles. Now there's a big difference there. He's been really, really good. Speaking of really good, Brandon Lao has been great for the Pirates. Jeffrey, Jeff Suddenly the Pirates are an interesting team. You know, they don't just have they just don't have Connor Griffin and Paul Skeins. They have some other interesting players and they brought Brandon law In just to drive in runs and hit home run. So, Jeff, he knocked in five runs in consecutive games, and I was shocked to hear he's the first Pirate ever to have five RBI games back to back. Do you find that surprising the Pirates.
Speaker 1: With the long history of great players to go through that organization, right, that does really surprise me.
Speaker 2: Britian Clemente, Willie Start, Joel, Ralph Kiner, Barry Bonds, That's that's pretty amazing. But Jeff, this is why base this is why baseball is so great, is that I checked with Frank from the Elias Disney and I said, who's the last player to drive in five runs in back to back games? And it was Kyle Stowers last year. Now, Kyle Stowers is a really good young player, but I was not expecting him. And before that was the year before Luis Matos. So the last three guys to drive in five runs in back to back games, you know, I have not been Aaron Judge or Shoe Otani. This is why baseball is so beautiful, Jeff, is that guys just emerge and suddenly do stuff that no one's done in a long time, and we love that kind of part. Also, Jeff, we've had our first Carson Kelly moment of the year. Carson Kelly, catcher for the Cubs, had a walk off hit this week, and I want you to explain to our listeners why we bring this up.
Speaker 1: Your oldest grandchild is Carson, and Carson's mom who is your oldest child is Kelly, So Carson Kelly, and Kelly is the mom of Carson.
Speaker 2: It's so perfect right well, as you know, I just.
Speaker 1: Can't believe there's not a McKinley Jeffrey in the league this year.
Speaker 2: That would really be good. I went to Carson Kelly with this last year, and you know, I was a little embarrassed to bring it up to him, but he thought it was pretty cool. So he's one of our guys just because of the names. So that did for the takeaways, Jeff. But obviously, Jeff, the game changer of the week is Jackie Robinson because he didn't just change the game, he helped change the world with what he did. Again nineteen forty seven, the Dodgers took a chance and signed him, played in the minor leagues for a couple of years and then comes to the big leagues, and when's the Rookie of the year nineteen forty seven as a first baseman and later went on to become one of the great second basement ever. But what I was struck by yesterday, this would be Tuesday, when I went to see the Mets and the Dodgers, is just how engaged some of the players are with Jackie Robinson. Day like. I talked to him to Marcus Simeon, who's a very thoughtful guy, played second base now for the Mets, and I said, when was the first time you had heard about Jackie Robbinson. He goes, well, my parents and my grandparents would read me books at night talking about Jackie Robinson when I was seven, eight, nine years old. And I was touched by this, Jeff. And then he said, our kids. He's got two kids, nine, He's got more than two children, but his oldest nine and seven. He reads books to them at night about Jackie Robinson, just so they understand exactly how much of an impact, how much he is a game changer in every way for everyone in the sport. That touched you, Jeff, that this is what you know. I was reading you man in the Rock Monkey on the what was I reading you when you were a kid.
Speaker 1: You were reading me quite a bit. The Series of Unfortunate Events, I remember, but I also remember the Dan Gutman series, which is the baseball card Adventure's. Dad, you might remember these books. I would bring them home from the library. They were like Jackie and Me, Babe and Me. And it's this twelve year old boy who when he holds vintage baseball cards, he travels back in time to meet these players. And I so distinctly remember reading Jackie and Me, and I just googled it. It came out when I was like six years old, so I was in elementary school age during this, and I remember reading it and learning about history through baseball was so so special. And Dad, I think there's a lesson for our kids out there, and our kids need to remember that when you're out there playing Little league, or in school or wherever you might be, and you're faced with adversity, you're faced with I mean, Jackie had fans yelling at him, had teammates who didn't like him, had opponents who definitely didn't like him for multiple reasons. Yet he persevered. He was courageous, and he was strong in adversity to be able to become a Hall of Fame baseball exactly.
Speaker 2: And Frank Robinson told me. I said, Frank, what were the lessons you learned from Jackie Robinson? And he said, the number one lesson that we learned that through all the hate, through all the terrible things we heard, the way we were treated, the only way to win was to beat them on the field. And that's what Jackie Robinson instilled in so many young black players that if you want to win, if you want to beat them, go out and beat him on the field. That'll shut him up faster than anything. And the last little takeaway from the Mets and Dodgers game that I did was I talked to Tommy fam who was very funny and a very thoughtful guy also. So I said, Tommy Whins, when did you first hear about Jackie Robinson. His eyes got big as silver dollars and he said, third grade, he said, we had to do a report on somebody really famous. So he said, we made I made a balloon with his face on it and covered it with paper mache, and that was the famous person that I did was Jackie Robinson. In the third grade, he said, I couldn't think of anybody more famous at the time, And he said, and all these years later, I'm not sure there's anyone more famous than Jackie Robinson for what Tommy fam and others are doing in baseball. So he remembered to the moment he had made this paper mache balloon with Jackie Robinson's likeness on it.
Speaker 1: Dad, I think everybody is transported right now to that time in their life when they had to do that same project. You pick somebody famous. I picked Babe Ruth, no joke, seven hundred and fourteen home runs. I remember it like it was yesterday. I almost remember the opening speech, and we had to pretend to be that person. And what I didn't realize was, obviously I was in the second grade at the time, but I would never grow up to be even half the size or strength that paper. To me, pretending to.
Speaker 2: Be paper, that's quite a feat. Yeah, that is. That is quite a feed. So that's our game changer of the week, Jackie Robinson, who changed the game more than anyone in the history of the sport and also changed the country. Because there will people, there will be people who tell you after Martin Luther King, he did more for civil rights than certainly anyone in this country at that time. So God blessed Jackie Robinson and just a it's a great celebratory day in Major League Baseball when everyone is wearing number forty two and.
Speaker 1: The game Changer of the week is presented by Game Changer, the number one youth sports app that helps you coach smarter, connect live and replay the action. You can learn more at GC dot com.
Speaker 2: And again, Jeff, Jackie Robinson isn't just the game changer of this week. He is the game changer in the history of Major League Baseball. There's no way around that.
Speaker 1: All right, Dad, let's jump right in. Quark gins.
Speaker 2: What do you have now? Yeah, the quark gins. I didn't have as many this week, Jeff. But on on Monday, six got There were ten games on Monday and six guys drove in five or more runs in one day. That's a lot of RBIs for one game. It is And it was Brandon Las, Trent Grisham, Mike Trout, Nolan Aernando, Josh Naylor, and Jeremiah Jackson. The last time, only once in the last fifteen years, and we had a day where six players drove in five or more runs on the same day, and that was a twenty twenty and the Giants had three guys knock in six runs in the same game. I remember that game, so it just shows you how rare that was. There were also nine multi homer games that day, so yes, nine guys in one and in total of ten games, nine guys had a multi homer game. So the in the history of baseball, it's only happened five other times where there have been nine or more multi homer games, and only once and that was September tenth, twenty nineteen, which is the year of the Homer, where there are ten multi homer games in one day and we had nine the other day. So just another reminder, Jeff, as much as we talk about how does anyone get a hit anymore? And I firmly believe that when you miss location with today's hitters, they don't just hit a line drive single to the left field, they hit thirty rows up. You see that all the time.
Speaker 1: Agreed that it's unbelievable that the swing and mis rate and I feel like we're seeing guys whiff at pitches because they're swinging for the fences and you're right if you mislocate that. The pitchers are so they must be so nervous because they know if I throw this right, he's not hitting it.
Speaker 2: But if I throw it.
Speaker 1: Wrong, it's upper deck, it's a souvenir.
Speaker 2: It's gone, Jeff. And again that's what we worry about. Too many walks because pictures are sometimes afraid to throw it over the plate or don't know how to throw it over the plate. Too many strikeouts and too many home runs. And of course there's Ernie Clement, one of my favorite new players because he's just so funny and he's just so interesting. His first sixty six at bats this year, Jeff, he has one walk and three strikeouts in sixty six at bats, which is insane. I mean, last week we gave you an entire team tim of guys who struck out four or more times in a game, and through Tuesday, Ernie Clement had one walk and only three strikeouts the whole year. So I remember talking to him in the World Series about like, where does this first pitch swinging come from. Let's put the ball in play, and he goes first pitch of coach, first year of coach pitch. When I was a little kid. You get three pitches, and my dad said, you better go up there swinging. So Ernie Clement is not up there to walk and he's not up there to strike out. He's up there to put it in play. And boy, has he done that really well this year.
Speaker 1: I can't even imagine Dad, when I get old enough to be to have kids in coach pitch? Was it nervous? Is it nerve wrapping for whoever's coach pitching the adult to throw the ball over the plate, because you're right, you only get three pitches. And if you're starting to throw balls and your arm gets tired.
Speaker 2: Right, Jeff, You know, I'm not boastful about anything, but when I was in high school, I threw VP exceptionally well. I could throw strikes all day long, and when I had to throw to the kids, there's a method to doing that. And you don't throw from the top of the rubber. You move closer, you throw it at a speed that they might be able to handle it. Yes, coach pitch is an acquired taste. Fortunately, thanks to my father and my two brothers, we threw so much as kids to each other that we were able to throw strikes none of that matters today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I've reached space safely in a coach pitch game three times, hit by pitch. Unbelievable. He was wild on that mount.
Speaker 2: All right. Jeff Bill Chuck, our good friend from Billy Ball who just comes up with so many great things he is. He alerted me early on in the season, and I've been following this that the Angels this year were two and two, they were three and three, they were five and five, six and six, seven and seven, eight and eight, nine and nine, So this is every time they play. So they're gonna lose game number nineteen, they're gonna go to or win. They're gonna be ten and nine, but after twenty games they're gonna be ten and ten because that's the way the Angels have played this year. So thank you Bill Chuck for alerting me to this, because you know how much I love stuff like that. We also had a Zach Gallon against Zach Pop starting rotation, and we had those two starting pitchers in the same game, Zach Pop and Zach Gallon. So I think I might have a gallon of pop this morning, since I woke up at three in order to do this. By the way, Jeff, what did what did we call it when we had a soft drink when we were when you were a kid? What did I Because I know what I used to call it. I mean, this is just this is semantics. It doesn't really matter. Some people call it a soda, right, yeah.
Speaker 1: Some people call it a soda. Call it some people call it a coke.
Speaker 2: I called it when I was a kid. I would say, could we have a coke? Even though it wasn't a coke. It might have been a sprite or a ginger ale, we always it was a generic coke. And is that what you called it growing up? No?
Speaker 1: And you really ruined me because remember when we would do any trip that was longer than like twenty minutes, twenty minutes, we would go to a gas station and we would get a dwink, a dwink. So now with my daughter, if I'm going anywhere farther than twenty minutes, I want to go get a dwink at the gas station. You would say all the time, you want to get a dwink, and we would get a drink right at the gas station. So I thought, that's what you say. And I remember meeting my wife and I would. We went on a long trip and we were together long enough to be comfortable with each other. And said, I'm going to go inside and get a drink and she said, oh what, all right?
Speaker 2: Last quirks and Jeff and I love this. And I'll share credit here with Sarah Langs, the great Sarah Langs, who sees and notices stuff that very few others do. Mike Trout, who we know, loves the weather. He is he should be a weatherman after he retires from baseball meteorology, loves all of it. Hit a homer off of David Webb, off of Ryan Weathers the other night, Like how great is that? As soon does it happen? I went, oh my gosh, look at this, and then Sarah put it out on the internet. It was just fabulous. So Mike Trout hit a homer off of Ryan Weathers when he just loves the weather.
Speaker 1: Do we think Mike Trout loves the weather more than he likes pitbull?
Speaker 2: Don't ask me to tell that story again. I'm just going to tell you one more time, Jeff. When Mike Trout in twenty sixteen recognized that I met Pitt Poll, he was absolutely fascinated like, tell me what it was like? How tall was he woke and he was so amazed that I got to meet Pitt Pull and I didn't even know who Pittpull was.
Speaker 1: So well, Donnie, let's go on to our next segment.
Speaker 2: Okay, chesstage baseball history Jeff April the sixteenth, nineteen forty. Bob Feller did what on opening Day?
Speaker 1: Through a no hitter?
Speaker 2: Right? Is he the only one no hitter on opening Day? And remember the discussion we had. I never brought this up with you about you know, everyone in the lineup had the same average after the game, zero zero zero as he did before the game. Now it's a debate. Maybe you shouldn't even have an average if you don't get in at bad it should just be three little hyphens like he hasn't bad it yet. And then you said, well, you know you can't. I mean, anything divided by zero is zero. And then did you notice that we got a letter from got an email.
Speaker 1: A slam and that, And then I realized that probably my grandfather, the mathematics PhD. Is turning over in his grave because anything divided by zero is it's like no, it's like nothing. It's not even a number. It's not.
Speaker 2: You's embarrassing that the son of a grand the grandson of a of a PhD and Mit from MIT undergrad and the son didn't. We just forgot all about you can't divide by zero, So sorry about that. Right.
Speaker 1: We also think that four plus three equals two thanks to our friends and baseball is but that's when you turn a double play. And nobody, and I mean nobody would have liked that joke more than Pop right, more than your dad because he's a mathematics guy, but he was a base ball guy, and nobody would have liked that more than him, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I wore that six four three two shirt to bed last night and then I took it off to three o'clock in the morning. Come do the podcast, all right, no worries. I also Jeff this date in nineteen seventy two, Bird Hooton pitched a no hitter. It was in his fourth major league game he threw a no hitter. I covered Bird Hooton for the Texas Rangers nineteen eighty two. Big big guy from Texas. Loved him. He was great to be around. And also on this date in nineteen seventy eight, Bob Forsche pitched a no hitter, and a year later, his brother Ken Forche pitched a no hitter, so they became the first brothers ever to throw no hitters in a Major League game. That you find that interesting?
Speaker 1: How many siblings are there? Are there only two? Or are there? Forsche?
Speaker 2: May? The four should be with you, Jeff? Pretty good? Okay? Better? That was better. Happy birthday to Bruce Bochi born on this date in nineteen five fifty five, and both Bruce Bochi is a Hall of Fame will be a Hall of Fame manager won over two hundred games, two thousand games, sorry, and three World Championships with the Giants and one with the Rangers. I'm not sure I ever met anybody who ran a bullpen better than Bruce Bochie, which is maybe the most important thing that a manager does. So we also know, and I'm going to tell this story for the tenth time. Also, Bruce Boach is the only player to hit a walk off homer against Nolan Ryan. And Bruce Bochie also had the biggest head in baseball, over an eight. It's like an eight and a quarter, as he told me, he said when he got traded twice he had to bring his helmet with him so the new team could spray pay at their colors because no one had a helbot that could fit him and its giant head. So after he hits the home run off of Nolan Ryan, the Padres want to run a red carpet from the beginning of the clubhouse right to Boachi's locker, and in his locker they have a six pack of beer with ice in Bochie's helmet as a celebration. So Terry Kennedy, who was the primary catcher on that team, told me, said, you know, you can get a six pack of beer in a lot of guys helmets, but only in Bochie's helmet can you get a six pack of beer with ice. And when I had lunch with Nolan Ryan, I talked, I told him that story, and instead of being upset that he gave up a homer to Bruce Bochie, he remembered it well, and so does Bruce Bochie. So happy birthday to Boach, one of the best guys the game has ever seen. And last one, Jeff, for the third week in a row that we have a birthday. Today it's Antonio Alfonseka. So three weeks in a row. We have mentioned him, and I told you he's he's the guy with six fingers and six toes on both hands and both feet. And you know what his nickname is. I don't think I've used this, but you look on Baseball Reference for his nickname, He's called the Octopus. So goodt What are the chanits? Though? In twenty twenty six that Antonio Alfonseeka makes it into three straight weeks on the same podcast, Jeff, this is just another reminder for good or bad, we are doing a different podcast than everyone else to get that guy in three weeks in a row. But it's he was he was a good pitcher, and he was a good guy. And today's birthdays born in nineteen seventy two.
Speaker 1: You know, Dad, we joined the Foul Territory Network. Those guys are so fantastic. They've got a ton of podcasts from local shows to like meaning like local teams and then obviously Foul Territory, and those guys are great. They cover the game so differently than we do. Then there's Ken Rosenthal with Fair Territory covering the game differently than we do. But yeah, he's not coming up in either of those shows.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and just like Steve Russian conversation that's not happening on anybody else's podcast, right, yeah, we love that.
Speaker 1: If you miss that. By the way, that was our most recent episode, our most recent interview. So go back. If you're listening right now, go back. Take the time. You're gonna laugh. You might cry from the laughter. It's so fun. Follow and subscribe wherever you're listening, right, make.
Speaker 2: Sure you stay till the end. When Steve Russian describes the back of lou Brock's baseball card and what that means to him fifty years later, it's just hilarious.
Speaker 1: Okay, Jeff, all right, Dad, next week, have alpha alphabet.
Speaker 2: Right, So, what we're doing this year is we're taking every letter of the alphabet and we are picking my choice, not the right choice, not the correct choice, the best players of all time, best picture, and the best hitter of all time for each letter at D SO, I think this was relatively easy. Joe DiMaggio is the greatest d ever, So, Jeff. He won three MVPs, finished second twice and third once. He played thirteen years. He made the All Star team every year and received votes for the MVP, not first place votes. Necessarily, but he received votes from the MVP in twelve of his thirteen seasons. I mean, he never really had a bad season. Three twenty five lifetime, nine seventy seven ops career. And let's see how well you remember Jeff three hundred and sixty one homers and how many strikeouts career for Joe Demaggio. Oh gosh, I've done this. Three hundred and sixty one homers, three hundred and sixty nine strikeout, Jeff, you have a three to one ratio. If you hit fifty homers today and only strike out one hundred and fifty times, you are considered amazing. He almost had a one to one home run to strike out ratio. And during of course, his fifty six game Hitting Street, he struck out five times in the entire Hitting Street, and no times Jeff in the final thirty two games of that street. So and during the forty one season when he hit in fifty six straight games, he struck out a total of thirteen times. So he hit thirty homers, wow, and struck out thirteen times. So I wrote this in one of my columns, I mean, forty five years ago for the Dallas Morning News. I used that note, and somebody got it. A broadcaster, I'm not sure who it was, got a little bit confused, and he said, I just saw a great note the other day in the Dallas Morning News. The year that Babe Ruth hit sixty home runs, he only struck out ten times, which was he got the sixty homers and fifty six straight games. A little bit mixed up. So again, Jeff, a different time, different era. But if people don't appreciate how great Joe Demagio was, just go back and look at the numbers and look how many times he won nine rings? Jeff, I mean, go, you won ted, but Joe Demaggio won nine times. I mean you grew up to stories of him from pop and from me.
Speaker 1: Right, Joe DiMaggio a fierce competitor thirteen seasons. I mean, just a Hall of Famer through and through. It's crazy. He's the perfect choice for d And there's no debate.
Speaker 2: Right, And Jeff, we used to go when we used to go to Williamsport together, they have a little hamburger stand there called DiMaggio's Grill, and we stopped there once just to say we ate at Demaggio's.
Speaker 1: At Demaggio's grill.
Speaker 2: Okay, so our greatest dep I was gonna thought about Dizzy Dean, but I ended up with Don Drysdale because there's a double D there and he's a Dodger pitcher, and we're doing this from LA to Don Drysdale also the greatest number fifty three of all time, won two hundred and nine games, had a two point nine to five era, He won a cy Young, he won three World Series. He threw forty nine shutouts. Jeff, I just think about this for a second, forty nine shutouts and he I don't want to say he only won two hundred and nine games, but almost one out of every four shutout at four wins he had was a shutout. Was showing you then in those days, Jeff, guys went out there. When they started something, they finished it. And of course he held the record for years for most consecutive scoreless innings at fifty eight and two thirds, and it was broken by another Dodger, oral Herscheiser, and oral To told me the story that that Don Drivesdale was one of the broadcasters with the Dodgers in nineteen eighty eight when Orl Hirsheiser broke Don Durysdale's record and Don Drivesdale interviewed Oral Hirsheiser on the field after Oral Hirsheiser, Wow, Don Drysdale's record. I mean, do you find that really cool? Because I do. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Could you imagine, hey, guys, it's Babe Ruth here on the field with Hank Aaron Hank. How did you feel out there when you hit that ball? Totally different world. But by the way, Dad, you brought up something that I think is interesting real fast. Is you know earlier the note about Nolan Ryan and Bruce Bochie, right, and you said Nolan Ryan gave up a walk off home run. We aren't going to hear that. We don't hear that about a starting pitcher giving up a walk off home run. I mean pitchers today, Dad, will go their whole career without ever giving a walk off, giving up a walk off hit or home run. Right, It'll be a zero, and it'll seem impressive. It'll seem impressive, but it won't be because they never made it to even the seventh inn.
Speaker 2: And to that end, Jeff, next Tuesday, we are going to have Max Scherzer on the air. Max Schurzer is a future Hall of famer, and I've talked to him many times about how we've lost the value of the starting pitcher, and Max Scherzer has some ways to fix that, to get the starting pitcher back into being a more important person in the game. So I can't I know what he's going to say, but I want everyone to hear it because Max schus is a very smart guy.
Speaker 1: Well, let's wrap up today's show. You did pack in your carry on a little bit more manageable than a wheel. Three cars, three cars, you've got.
Speaker 2: The first one is Max Freed, of course, who's one of the better pitchers in the game. And you know how much I love anagrams, Jeff, So Max Freed. The anagram for mac x Freed is dream fix, and I think he's been kind of a dream fix for that Yankees rotation because all sorts of pictures have been hurt in the last couple of years. And when they get Garrett coleback and they get Carlos Rodon back, they're going to have a really nice rotation. I found this interesting, Jeff, since we're in southern California, that Max Freed grew up like hearing stories of Sandy Kofax and I'm quoting here. He said, Well, anyone would love Sandy Kofax as a Jewish guy with a great curveball, and that's who Max Freed is. So but he said, but Sandy's too old for me, of course, So my guy growing up was really Clayton Kershaw. So only I would think of something as stupid. So Max Fried wears number fifty four. So that's a combination of Sandy Kofax's thirty two and Clayton Kershaw's twenty two. Thirty two plus twenty two equals fifty four. So I present this to Max f Reid. Is that why you wear number fifty four? He's a really smart guy. He just looked at me like I never even thought about that, Like, only I would think about something stupid like that, because it is stupid and it's not the way that people think. But unfortunately, or fortunately it's.
Speaker 1: I feel like that happens to you a lot, Dad, where you ask a player or something that you have recognized and they look at you like, do you have any other free time or do you just think about this stuff?
Speaker 2: Well, I'll never forget. When John Cruck came to work for us at ESPN, we had a guy named jud Birch who used to work at ESPN, one of my favorite people ever. Great producer, great guy, great baseball man, and knows everything about the Phillies. It's just scary how much he knows. So John Cruck meets John John Cruck meets jud Birch for the first time, and jud Birch just like reels off all of these things about John Cruck's career that John Cruck doesn't even remember. So Krucky looks at jedd Burg and goes, you're not married, are you? No? No, I'm not. At his point was if you were married, you would have other things to think about in the world other than my arcade statistics. So we loved we loved jud Birch, We loved John Crux, so that was great. So second guy up is Placido Polonko, which would, of course is a great Scott van pel Plasiday Polonko I can't do that very well, but he was a really good infielder. Played second base and third base and played what they played them equally well. Not many guys played second base and third base equally well. Ernie Clement can do that, but Placido Planco did but he told me once that he never wore a cup when he played second base because he felt like like the protective cup like cut down on his range when he's trying to make a double play. He can't have anything affecting his range or anything else. But when he played third base, he wore a cup for obvious reasons. He looked at me and just smiled. But you gotta wear a cup at third. But let's see if you can remember Jeff the Hall of Fame third baseman who never wore a cup. He just went in recently, Dominican Adrian.
Speaker 1: Oh Adrian Beltray never wore a cup.
Speaker 2: Never wore a cup, right, And I asked him, Adrian, you played third base, how could you never wear a cup? And then he showed me his hands and he goes, that's what these are for. I'm thinking you got great hands, man, but I'm not sure playing third base without a cup on the major league level is a great idea. And our last one is Jared Washburn, former Angels pitcher. Really funny guy and he grew up on like a dairy farmer something in Wisconsin. So years ago when Mike Soosha in spring training would do these little things in spring training to get to know everybody, your teammates a little bit better. So you have to get up in front of the team and show them something. You get assigned a task like they used to have a picture named Chris boots Check, one of my favorite names ever. Chris Bootcheck was a golfer and he knew how to build a golf club. So he came into spring training but you know, before the workout started and showed the whole team how to build a golf club. And this was Mike Soshia's way. Joe Madden was there for all this too, of getting everybody kind of more acclimated to their team. So Mike Sosha sent Jared Washburn, grew up on a dairy farm, to bring something back from the county fair in like in the Arizona area. So the next morning, Jared Washburn an ostrich into the clubhouse, like a real Ostriche into the clubhouse because he was comfortable handling animals and everything else. So as I heard soon after that this was you know, four thirty five years ago, Ramon Ortez, one of the relievers, was so petrified that there was an ostrich. He leaped into his locker and like covered himself up and said in Spanish, get that big chicken away from me, because to him, an Ostrich looked like a giant chicken. So yeah, so that was our three cards in the bathroom, Max Free, the Dream Fixed Placid, Old Planco, the Coupless Wonder and mister Ostrich himself Jared.
Speaker 1: Washburn absolutely incredible. Well, Dad, we did it from Disney World to Los Angeles, across the country podcasting. We made it happen and you mentioned it. Max sures Er next week on the podcast Cannot Wait. If you have any questions you want us to ask him? Great game or what dot com? Message us on our website And Dad, are you going back to bed?
Speaker 2: What's your plan on I'm going back to bed. That's okay. I got up extra early. I have the gift of sleep occasionally, so I'm drinking a dia amount do it four in the morning did not help things. But I will go back to bed. And I just want everyone to remember never forget Jackie Robinson day and the impact that he had on the game and on our country.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for listening, and as always, thanks for being a part of our family.