Speaker 1: I'm Teddy Mellencamp and this is Emily Simpson and you're listening to Popping Off. We are so excited because one of the new shows.
Speaker 2: Wait, why does your voice gets off like that?
Speaker 1: Because my microphone is so loud and we don't know how to fix it, so you have to talk very de mirror. Yeah, so I'm doing ASMR and yeah, so.
Speaker 2: I thought you were trying to be sexy.
Speaker 1: You thought I was trying to get soft swinging Mormons.
Speaker 2: To get to allow you to join. That's your sexy voice.
Speaker 1: Well, before we bring in, we have Macy and michaela from Secret Lives of Mormon Wives And to give you guys just a little bit of a rundown of the show, this is the synopsis. This is the professional synopsis. The Secret Lives of Mormon Wives takes a TikTok sex scandal to the small screen. The upcoming series will follow the aftermath of a group of Mormon influencers whose soft swinging lifestyle upended their community and marriages. While enthralled a huge swave on the Internet. Baith, friendship and reputations are all on the line. A synopsis from Hulu reads in part will hashtag mom talk be able to survive and continue to give the rule book a run for its money, or will this group fall from grace. Do yourselves a favor, y'all and go to hashtag mom talk.
Speaker 2: Okay, I tried that it's too much information.
Speaker 1: Well that's why we are going to you know, first, we're going to bring on these two ladies, and then we're going to watch the show right along with you guys. For those that don't have time to spend endless hours on TikTok like I did.
Speaker 3: Actually, if you go to Reddit, they do like a nice breakdown there. Oh perfect, Yeah, if you want the if you want the cliff notes, there's some nice just you know, like bull points on Reddit where you can just get a brief synopsis so you're ready.
Speaker 2: For the show.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then obviously you have to keep tuning in here. But let's let's bring in Macy and MICHAELA. Macy is a former D one tennis player at Brigham Young University. She's also a founder of a natal nutrition company. Additionally, the twenty year old wife has two kids and a blended family with husband Jacob, and is currently on an IVF journey to expand her family. She has one million TikTok followers, and we've got Mikayla. Former teen mom. Mikayla Matthews twenty four says, the show really gets to the raw things that we are going through. We wanted to show the different sides to the religion. Ads Matthews, who is now married with three kids to husband Jayce. She has two point four million ticure callers.
Speaker 2: Are you on TikTok? I'm not even on TikTok.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna say, I don't even talk about what our TikTok company?
Speaker 3: Well minor zero because I'm not on TikTok. I can't do TikTok. Oh, I have thousand Damn Teddy. They should be interviewing us, not the other way around.
Speaker 1: Thank god we have a lot of listeners on this podcast, because that's really where we thrive. Apparently, I think we may have aged out from the TikTok you know phenomenon. But let's bring the girls in and start grilling.
Speaker 4: Hello.
Speaker 1: I oh, of course we all are together, all right. Well, the first thing we need to go through is can you please tell us how mom Talk got started? And would you give all the credit to Taylor.
Speaker 5: Oh no, I would not give all the credit to Taylor. Yeah. No, So we all had most of us had social followings going into it. I think you had like two million followers on TikTok. I think I had like one point two million. And we kind of found each other through TikTok and social media, so I think we were all mutually following each other. And so then it was like, hey, like let's do some collaborations type thing, and then we all just decided to get together as moms and make videos together, which was really fun. It turned into like mom talk.
Speaker 1: Oh that's interesting. I thought you guys knew each other and then started mom Talk, but now you all found each other as influencers and that you guys also.
Speaker 3: So so are you geographically all close to each other in Utah? I used to live in Utah for five years, so I know the area.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're always in like forty five minutes I would say each other. And we were also friends before mom Talk started, but like through social media. So we met like on social media in twenty twenty and became friends and then like we ended up doing mom talk together.
Speaker 1: And then when did mom talk kind of explode.
Speaker 4: After the soft Swing scandal, I would see.
Speaker 5: I mean I started blowing up beforehand, like giving millions of us because it was just kind of out there and a little controversial.
Speaker 4: And then once the scandal happened, like it was.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like all over.
Speaker 3: Was Taylor the for the scandal to get out there? I don't know a lot of the background. So was she the reason?
Speaker 2: Was it her?
Speaker 5: She? She was, yes, like she was the one who kind of exposed the swinging scandal. But before that, apparently there was rumors going on like all over online so that she was cheating, and she's like, that's actually not true, Like this is what was going on with everyone, Like if you're gonna expose me, I'm gonna expose everything kind of thing.
Speaker 2: So were you guys? Were you blindsided by that?
Speaker 5: Not really? I had a whole theory, like when we were all friends. It's like I feel like she might be a swinger, like her and a couple of other girls. I'm like, I have like some weird vibes, like I have a phone she might be a swinger. But it's like, don't tell anyone because it's kind of like a big accusation. So it's just a theory, and then when it came out, I was like, oh my gosh, that's right.
Speaker 1: So you guys are not soft swingers.
Speaker 5: No, they'll just have to wait and see.
Speaker 1: Okay, I mean these can you give us before we even continue on? Can we go through a couple of vocabulary wars that I've learned? Well, one, Emily is married to somebody that's LDS.
Speaker 2: But I'm not, she's not.
Speaker 1: But these are some things that I've learned. I want to know if they're true or false in the Mormon community. Okay, soaking and what's the definition?
Speaker 5: Oh? Soaking?
Speaker 1: Ill?
Speaker 5: We talked about this on the show to a whole in depth.
Speaker 6: I feel like there's so much with like the soft swinging, even behind the scenes, that no one knows even though it was all I mean, it was out there on every news article, but.
Speaker 5: There's just so much that even I was shocked to find out soaking is Mormon being from what I know that happened at BYU frequently because it's like there's this honor code and like you can't have sex before marriage, you can't do anything besides kissing before marriage, and like there's other rules obviously there and so I think soaking is a way for people to get around those rules, but in reality, it's not really getting around it. It's kind of like a big joke, but it also apparently it's true.
Speaker 3: But I wait, I need I need more details to a Mormon. But give me, like an example.
Speaker 5: You can give an example, Like, just give me an example.
Speaker 6: I feel like we're the worst people because we actually just have sex and then got Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, okay. Soaking is like where a guy puts it in but doesn't do anything. It just like it.
Speaker 2: Marinates, so there's penetration, but no thrusting.
Speaker 1: So there's no penetration, there's just entrance and then it has to sit there still that just cannot move. Which this brings me to my next vocabulary word, which I could have wrong, but I think it's bed hopping.
Speaker 5: Docking.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, where that somebody jumps on the bed.
Speaker 5: So then then that's shaking the bed.
Speaker 1: Let's get into shaking the bed and then docking.
Speaker 5: Okay, so shaking the bed is for people who are soaking and then they have a friend shake the bed. So the guy's not physically moving, but the bed is so that there's like movement.
Speaker 2: No, you know what I mean, this is crazy. Who comes up with this?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: It's like.
Speaker 3: There's so many people involved in this situation.
Speaker 2: I can't even picture.
Speaker 5: Like how I'm comfortable. I be like, hey, like, can you come over for me? My friend is soak and just like shake the bed.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: But my stepdaughter just graduated from b YU, so I feel like I need to need to ask her.
Speaker 2: I need to ask her some questions.
Speaker 5: There's probably more terms now oft YU. Now I'm out of the loop because I've graduated a while ago, but I bet there's more going on now, more terms, so would be all right?
Speaker 1: Now we need to know what docking is. Clearly, I actually don't know what that is.
Speaker 5: I thought that why did you expose them? I have to explain with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I see, y'all's game now between the two of you, like one of you is kind of playing the more demure like I'm not gonna know.
Speaker 5: I know, I just drop the bombs.
Speaker 1: I'm like, docky, that's so good. I'll shake the bed for you anytime, Emily.
Speaker 2: You just have to wake me up.
Speaker 5: Okay, Docking okay, so oh gosh, So how do I explain this? So docking is like, can't imagine like a hot dog bun and like a hot dog, right she's sitting on the top, but it's not going in. It's just like sitting on the top right there.
Speaker 3: Oh, like like when you dock your cell phone. I guess, so it's called docking.
Speaker 1: I mean, can it not be just called like dry.
Speaker 3: Humping, because that's moving when you move.
Speaker 5: Naked?
Speaker 1: Oh, so you're just resting.
Speaker 5: They're resting on the top kind of thing like inside a little bit, but not like in like not like penetrated. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean this is so do you have to use a condom for this type of.
Speaker 2: Thing or is it?
Speaker 5: I don't think that it's getting near the.
Speaker 1: Any other keywords that we're missing so far.
Speaker 5: Gazing you heard?
Speaker 1: No, what's that?
Speaker 2: It's exciting?
Speaker 5: I wish I was looking into each other eyes. Apparently. Gazing is like you go to a party and like people are all naked and you just like look at each other, but you can't touch, you can't do anything. It's just like you're gazing. That's weird. Yeah, these are all things I heard before BYU, but I never experienced any of these at BAU Thankfully, but I also like was having sex, so I mean like I was going all the way, I wasn't really trying to get around the loophole here.
Speaker 3: Do you think any of this stuff is more of like an urban legend or do you actually think it happens?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: I think no, it totally happens, really, Okay.
Speaker 5: Even if you see those people who like interview students at YU and stuff like what's the crazy thing you ever done? Like I shook to bed for someone like something like that, So it definitely still happens. I think it's because kids are horny, like they want to have sex, but they don't want to have like their repercussion, so they think that this is like better, and it's like they're not actually having sex, you know.
Speaker 3: So they're trying to come up with every possible way to actually have sex without having sex.
Speaker 1: Or so this is a disagreement that my husband and I have, like cold really because I don't consider oral sex sex. I'm like, I wouldn't put that in my number count. It's like for me, it's like sex is sex. He considers oral sex sex. What is is oral sex? Off limits? Too? And it okay, it's.
Speaker 5: Like anything past like making out is like, you can't do that?
Speaker 1: Do you guys? Drink?
Speaker 5: No? I mean I used to in college, have not recently. I had a little wild girl face in college, so I have done things, but not anymore.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So are you two? Are you actual members of the Mormon Church? Both of you? I am so, Macy you're not.
Speaker 5: No, So I am. I'm an active member.
Speaker 2: Okay, So but Kayla's not. Okay.
Speaker 6: I haven't been practicing since I was like fifteen and I'm twenty four now.
Speaker 1: So how many girls on the show are active members?
Speaker 5: I think there's only two that aren't. So seven? Oh no, there's eight? Six?
Speaker 2: So what at six are I'm sorry? Six are active members? Six are? Okay?
Speaker 1: And there's eight of you guys on the show. Yeah, how many, allegedly, would you say soft swing?
Speaker 5: Only one? I think out of the eight, right that I know of, I mean less, there's more tea we don't know.
Speaker 1: I feel like I can see something in Mikhayla's eyes that she's not fully opening up about.
Speaker 5: Her assassin, Like she like will remember everything, which like keeps it in and then she's like drop it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah I do that too.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: I call myself a sniper where you just kind of love.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 1: So another big other than the soft swinging. So you guys can easily find this. We talked about it on Reddit or on mom talk or anything, but this group of now we know influencers came friends. They all started hanging out. What I've learned about the soft swinging is it's fine as long as your partner knows it's happening. But once it's crossed the line that your partner doesn't know it's happening, that's where then it becomes the issue. Is that accurate?
Speaker 5: That's good.
Speaker 6: Maybe people have their own rules. I mean, I've never I don't know what the rules are of soft swinging. Yeah, no, I don't know either, I think. But basically what you said is similar to what Taylor told us.
Speaker 5: It was like it was kind of like if you were in agreement with your husband and you were like together, Like you couldn't go right off with the guy and you justuff alone in the room, but they were like all together and whatever that it was fine, but like you couldn't do stuff that your partner didn't know about. From what I understood, so.
Speaker 1: Taylor's gotten a lot of the press stuff, not only from the soft swinging, and then she got the divorce and now she's with the new guy, and then we saw that maybe she was I don't know if she was arrested or something along those lines, because there was some sort of disagreement in the home, some sort of domestic occurrence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think she was arrested.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's on the show.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think social media only taps into a little bit of that, and even like the news articles tap into a little bit of that.
Speaker 5: But then it kind of shows the other.
Speaker 6: Side of her dealing with it, our for our group kind of dealing with it, and yeah, just the more wrong.
Speaker 3: Wait, can I just ask a timeline question. Was she arrested while you were filming or are you just retroactively going back and talking about.
Speaker 5: It before we started filming?
Speaker 3: Okay, so then when you guys get to when you talk about that, you're talking about you're just going back and talking about it, right, Yeah, Okay, so it didn't happen in real time while you were filming.
Speaker 1: No, are you guys friends with her?
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're all friends, I would say, all the well, not everyone in the group is still friends.
Speaker 1: Are you friends with Whitney from Saul Lake.
Speaker 2: Is that what you're asking?
Speaker 1: No, but no, Whitney though she's the one who she had one of her children, was in the nick You, but she put did a TikTok Oh dance video.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would say we're all friends.
Speaker 6: I think some of us are closer than others, and I think the show definitely tested a lot of.
Speaker 4: Our relationships and friendships, so some of that unfolds.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you'll have to wait and see how that one plays out. Because the friendship thing got sticky with all of us.
Speaker 3: I would say, do you think it's gonna get even stickier after the episode's air? Like, I don't know the format, but obviously with Housewives, we get to see things later that were filmed that we're not aware of. So you know, you you come out of filming Housewives and you're like, oh, we're all friends, and then you watch the episodes and you end up all hating each other. So is that kind of the premise of this.
Speaker 6: I think maybe we might have worked things out, and then maybe watching it again it'll kind of spark those same feelings. So I think we're all gonna go through it again for sure.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because I think you're seeing people in their personal interviews. Right, we'll see people in their personal interviews. Yeah, maybe you're gonna be like, wait, that's not what you said to me. I think that's where we might have some issues. Nice assume that there will be some issues once it comes out.
Speaker 6: I think it's hard to get eight women together not have a little bit of I mean when we had a lot of our overnights and birthday trips, I feel like I felt like I was with my sisters and I was arguing with my sisters again.
Speaker 5: And our periods were all sinking too, were like hungry together seeking period. It is going to be drama.
Speaker 1: It's like me and Emily, we go through perimenopause together. Also, something that happens on Housewives is you think like you're like, Wow, I'm really nailing it like this, people are going to love I never think that, but some people do.
Speaker 2: Some people do. Yes, I agree, people really.
Speaker 1: Think like, gosh, this is my season blah blah. If you were going to tell us who, like the crowd favorite is going to be from this season and who we're going to have the hardest time with, who would you say?
Speaker 5: I don't know if we can say.
Speaker 6: I think there's just something for everybody, and so I think it'll differ depending on the person. I think each person in the cash shared something super vulnerable, and so I think whoever is going to resonate with that, they're gonna resonate with that one person.
Speaker 4: I think all of us think we're the main character always.
Speaker 5: I think I think it's gonna be what she said, like whoever you're gonna relate to the most, because me all are going to be different, but we're also all very vulnerable and open. So I think like there's gonna probably be a villain, there's gonna be like someone who says whatever comes to their mind. It's gonna be a peacemaker. There's gonna be all of it. So I think it depends on what meshes the best with your personality to your like the best.
Speaker 1: And now I also need to know, like, are you guys already media trained or is this like just because you're part of LDS, like that you know how to answer all the questions without actually giving us the tea.
Speaker 5: I know you're dodging.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I feel like I and then why don't.
Speaker 5: I want to put any assumption because I like, we haven't seen it yet. I'm like, I don't know who'd be the favorite.
Speaker 6: I mean, like, of course we think we already have our own personal opinions, but we're just gonna hold on to them because I'm I was.
Speaker 3: Going to ask you that. So you haven't seen any of the episodes yet.
Speaker 2: They haven't.
Speaker 6: No, we've seen like bits and pieces of it, but not like full Okay, it's the plan to give you the episode before it airs so that you can see it, or.
Speaker 5: You don't know.
Speaker 4: I think we're just gonna watch it with the rest of the world and never.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, what do you think that there is some type of reunion that they'll film like they do with housewives, because obviously there's gonna be a bunch out there and you guys are all going to have what you're gonna want to, you know, have a rebuttal or explain something more So, are there any plans to bring you all back together and do that?
Speaker 5: I don't know. I think that would be fun, though I think it depends too on like if the viewers really want it, and you're like, hey, we want to rely want it, then we'll do it. I don't but it's not up to us. I think it's just kind of like how the show does. And like if there's if there's unanswered questions, maybe then they'll want to do one. But we don't know yet.
Speaker 1: If right, and everybody is currently married on the show, and you guys are all and everybody has kids.
Speaker 5: No, so Layla is not married and then anymore, she got divorced and then Taylor is dating Dakotas they're not like married yet, but they seem like they're married.
Speaker 6: But everyone has kids. Everyone has kids. There's blended families. There's people that have been married, got divorced and now they're married again and have step sibling or yeah, kids, there's actually a lot of that.
Speaker 5: I think, Yeah, are.
Speaker 1: We gonna like Dakota because it's been a little rough going on social media?
Speaker 4: You know you'll have to wait, Allen for sure.
Speaker 2: Wait, but you should ask that. Do you like Dakota?
Speaker 6: I like Tens on the day. I think it depends on the day for anyone. If I'm like me and him definitely have conflict on this show. I don't want to give anything away, but like, I think he's a nice person for sure. But yeah, we've definitely had our issues and you'll see that all are out.
Speaker 4: I think it.
Speaker 6: Really tests every relationship that you think it wouldn't when you're put in these situations.
Speaker 5: And so I think even if.
Speaker 4: You want in being like, oh yeah, I'm good at this person, it really just tests.
Speaker 5: The boundaries and test the water. So I think the show in general is almost like a social experiment because we all, most of us were friends going into it, and like we all had our trials to get like, even we who were like we're very very close, like had moments where we're like, what's going on, like even in our friendship, And I think a reality show kind of tests that because it's just crazy. It's emotionally draining too. It's a lot.
Speaker 1: And what are your thoughts on the book Bad Mormon.
Speaker 5: I haven't read it, so I don't know. I might have to add that to my list. I've never read it before. But I am a big book girl, an audible girl. I don't like to read. I'd like to listen, so might have to tex I haven't heard of that.
Speaker 3: Have you gotten any feedback as far as the church? Because I lived in Utah for five years, my husband is Mormon. I'm not but I do know that culturally the church is huge. I mean, it's just I felt when I lived there, I felt like I didn't really fit in because I was never LDS, so you know, I always felt a little displaced there. So my question would be, with these episodes coming out and the religion being such so central to all of this, do you guys worry about what the church thinks and church and it's import the show?
Speaker 5: And yeah, I think for sure.
Speaker 4: I think even just dropping the name.
Speaker 6: It was like a huge backlash already just having the word Mormon in there. And I think it's hard where we are if we go anywhere else, like Utah has such a strong community of Mormons. So I think it's just the community and the culture in Utah that's hard to navigate. And I feel like it's such a small bubble in Utah too, like everyone knows somebody, even.
Speaker 5: Driving home from her house.
Speaker 6: The other day, I was in an uber and the guy was like, oh, so what do you do? And I talked about being on a reality show. He's like, oh, it's not the new Secret Lives, warmon Lives and I was like, oh, actually it is.
Speaker 4: And so it's like and he just had so many questions to ask.
Speaker 5: I think it's just fascinating.
Speaker 4: But I definitely think people in Utah a little bit more offended by it. Maybe Yeah, I'm.
Speaker 5: Originally California too, and I would say the culture in each ove is a lot different than it is in California, And I do think I don't think the church will really do much.
Speaker 4: And I think as long as you know who you are and like what you're betraying, then there's nothing to worry about.
Speaker 5: Like I'm not worried about it as an active member because like I didn't do anything that I'm like worried about or like that.
Speaker 1: What do you have your undergarments on right now?
Speaker 5: Not right now?
Speaker 6: Uh oh we're business up here, but casual.
Speaker 5: It's too hot in my house right now to where I'm no, But I know I talked about that on my social medium, like why are we asking people like what underwear are we wearing? Like why do you care if I'm like wearing that? Like I think it's when it's personal for each member, but also like for some reason, it's like a culture thing where people are like, well, you're not doing this, you're not doing this, You're not doing this you're not Mormon, but like that's not true. So I'm really hoping the show can shed light on the fact that, like there we're all on different journeys with the Mormon Church, and we don't need to judge based on where they are, but anything, we should be accepting people because we're all sinners. That's why we go to church, right, is to you know, feel that community and get altered to Christ. Right, So why are we turning people away and saying we don't claim these people? So that's why I hope the show shit's like hones like you can still be Mormon, like you could come to church, you could do this, like you don't have to be perfect. And so that's kind of like what I'm hoping comes out of it.
Speaker 4: And I think a big bash backlash that we've gotten to.
Speaker 6: Is saying, oh, well, they don't look like typical Mormon wives, and I'm like, well, what does a typical Mormon wife look.
Speaker 3: I don't think that's true because I lived in Utah for five years and I was like, damn, all these women are attractive. I think I can I can spot a Mormon wife woman, and they all are attractive.
Speaker 2: They really are.
Speaker 1: Well put together, I guess, and.
Speaker 3: I read once that there's more like plastic surgery in Utah than than California, the second biggest. Like the women in Utah look good and they take care of themselves, So I think you all do look like Mormon wife.
Speaker 5: So you can spot a Mormon wife, like when I go back to California, like, oh that girls Mormon, tell I don't know what to die.
Speaker 2: I can't do.
Speaker 6: Mormons, but I think there's I think that's what was so fascinating about the show is just Utah women in general.
Speaker 5: People are so fascinated with because they're like, what do they look like this where are always put together and they're drinking soda at nine am?
Speaker 1: Like you know what, I like that drive through where you can only get sodas and you add a little splash. What's it called.
Speaker 2: Swag?
Speaker 1: I love my gosh. Well, thank you guys so much. We are so excited to watch and recap and then hopefully we can have you guys back on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, thank you guys. I appreciate it. Thank you so much. Okay, bye,