Speaker 1: On Theme is a production of iHeartRadio and Fairweather Friends Media.
Speaker 2: You are class, Settle down, class.
Speaker 3: We've been learning about civil rights activists this unit. Let's see how much we've been paying attention. Show we which NAACP activists sparked the Montgomery bus boycott by refusing to give up her seat on a segregated bus.
Speaker 1: Rosa Hugs.
Speaker 3: Good job class. Why were Rosa Parks and many other civil rights activists arrested in nineteen fifty six after the boycotts? Raise your hand if you know the answer, me.
Speaker 1: Me because the Alabama government said blaycotts were illegal. That's right. Okay.
Speaker 3: Last question, who was the first woman to lie in honor at the US Capitol? Rosa Pikes? Great class, Now you know all you need to know about Rosa Parks.
Speaker 1: Most of us in the US have been learning about Rosa Parks since elementary school or before.
Speaker 3: Yes, the Rosa Parks, the activists, the mother of the movement. We learned about her act of defiance at least every Black History Month, and it's always a great reminder how history is made by ordinary people deciding that enough is enough.
Speaker 1: For sure, And while we've known the name Rosa Parks and her contribution to the civil rights movement. For a long time, most curricula limit Missus Parks to a few trivia like facts, and sometimes those few facts we hear about Rosa Parks are used as punchlines in movies and songs.
Speaker 3: But thankfully we can learn more about Missus Parks through her own words and the memories of those who were closest to her, her own family. We'll be talking to her seventh niece, Miss Sheila Macaulay Keys.
Speaker 1: I'm Katie and I'm Eves today's episode The Real Life Rosa Parks.
Speaker 3: Do you remember your first impression of Rosa Parks?
Speaker 1: Uh. I don't know if I remember my very first impression, but I'm pretty sure it was sometime around elementary school or pre k or whatever. And I remember getting those same things that so many other young students got, those black and white contour drawings of all the civil rights leaders, and then you would color them man with their crayon are your colored pencils and put them up on the wall. I remember hearing about her and the busboycott and her refusing to give up her seat, and that's pretty much where my early knowledge of Rosa Parks ended. I don't remember watching any films about her. I don't remember talking about her beyond Black History Month. It was pretty contained experience of my knowledge of Rosa Parks at the time.
Speaker 3: I remember thinking that she was like so small and old. But she's like in her forties when she did that, so she really wasn't that old. And I also remember my mind being blown that she was still alive because they make the Civil rights movement seems like so far away, so it's like feels like ancient history to a kid. But I was like, wait, she's still alive. Yeah, she's indeed trite.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh shit.
Speaker 3: And I remember like seeing her in media a lot beyond just the you know, Black History Month PSAs or McDonald's Black three six five or whatever the case may be. Like, I remember seeing her in just like random like pieces of media that I was like, ugh, Like that barbershop movie mm hmm, they're like making fun of Rose of Parks in two thousand and two. Do you remember that?
Speaker 1: Refresh my memory?
Speaker 3: So in the barbershop movie Cedric, the entertainer's character is a loud, opinionated old barber who shares his offensive takes with anyone who will listen, and I see where the cast is participating in typical barbershop talk. Cedric's character takes wife, said Martin Luther King, Jesse Jackson, and Rosa Parks. Exactly, Rosa Parks. He says, he's only the founder of the modern civil rights movement.
Speaker 4: But because she saw on the.
Speaker 1: Book Edie, Yeah, what did folks say in response to that?
Speaker 3: Well, the filmmakers in the studio apologize for the line and said that you know, it was one character's opinion and not the opinion shared by the film itself, the filmmakers or MGM Picture. But even though they apologize, Jesse Jackson still told the Associated Press that he would like the producers to cut the offending lines from the home video release, remember physical media. So Jackson said that there are some heroes who are sacred to a people, and these comments poisoned an otherwise funny movie. Referring to doctor King and Missus Parks, he said, he could let the little swipe at him, He could let that fly, but you know, talking about doctor King and Missus Parks was a step too far. And Cedric, the entertainer, the one who said it in the movie, said he wasn't really comfortable with saying the line, but he told USA Today that quote, personally, I had some qualms with saying it, But every situation has an instigator, someone who likes to charge the room and say something controversial. That's what my character does in the movie. So everyone was offended or trying to distance themselves from it. Well not everyone. Ice Cube, who also started in the movie, told USA Today, quote, people are making too much of it. It's a funny movie about a barbershop, and no one is exempt at the barbershop. Just because we talk about people doesn't mean we don't love these people too. End quote.
Speaker 1: So what do you think about it? Or what did you think at the time.
Speaker 3: So at the time, I remember being a kid and being confused why people were mad over a joke. So I asked my mom and she said it was disrespectful, Like she saw the joke as disrespectful too, especially because Rosa Parks was still alive to hear them belitterally what she did. But in the scene, Eddie, the character Cedric is playing, is instantly rebuffed by everyone in the barbershop. And I mean, I don't spend that much time in barbershops, but they are known for being a place where most topics are fair game, even civil rights icons. But I do think the flattening of Rosa Park's story as just the woman who sat down on a buss contributes to these portrayals. It's like, we're all taught a few things about this lady, but everyone is taught those few things, so she's a cultural touchstone who anyone will understand if referenced. Like if I were to make a joke about like Mary Church, Terrelle or Dorothy Hye or Elli Baker, most people wouldn't get it, but that's not the case for Rosa Parks. So I think it makes it easier for people to just like insert her in there, and it's like everyone's gonna get this joke, whether they think it's offensive or not.
Speaker 1: I think the whole barbershops thing is interesting because it's like one of those quote unquote safe spaces or like protected spaces where that I think we generally, like culturally make a lot of excuses for anything in anything goes situation. But I like your point that, like there was pushback in the scene. People did say, you know who Rosa Parks is, stop playing she deserves respect, and so I think it's a worthy conversation to have to say, like, how are we respecting and how are we talking about our elders. Because things that are portrayed in media, like they are disseminated broadly, a lot of people see them. Those are the things that are repeated over and over in different people's minds. So from that perspective of like what are we actually transmitting, then I think it matters. But I do also think that it was a lot more lighthearted and also like treat it with care than a lot of people were making it seem.
Speaker 3: Because I went to YouTube and looked at this scene and the comments on the scene are crazy, Like people are like, yeah, Rosa Parks, they do shit. She was the first one to sit on the bus, that was Claude Kelvin. If they didn't like her because she was duskied, pregnant, team much oh people, the park's bitter fitted for colorism. I'm like yeah, wow, yeah, And so I do think, sure it's a joke, and like I don't think they meant any harm by it, No, But we what twenty two years later and I'm seeing these comments from people on YouTube like kind of bashing Rosa Parks and like in They're Dead Ass series, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's not on the movie though, that's not on the writers of that scene.
Speaker 3: But I do think it's interesting to see, like how you said, like transmitting things like where does it go? Like, yeah, how do How are people reacting to it? They're not taking it as like a joke for real, They're like, yeah, down with ros you.
Speaker 1: Know what that's really about. Though, that's funny. I didn't see those comments. This is really about how people learned about Claude at Covin and they felt like they were right after that. They were like, I learned about Claude at COVID. Oh there was a person before Rosa Parks. Now, even though I learned about this from this article that nine hundred thousand other people read, I am about to spread the word.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I mean absolutely give claud it caving her her props. Yeah, but it's like, you know, i'd be Wells refused to get off of a train plusy versus Ferguson, Like that's what that whole case is about, Like a black guy refusing to like move. So it's like it's okay that more than one person did this thing. It's like we're building on We're building on it. So I do think it's like a weird like pattern of using Rosa Parks as a bunch of but hey, after the break, we'll look at how other media portrays Rose Parks and speak with her niece, Sheila McAuley keys about her auntie Rosa. See you on the other side of this break. Okay, So you know I have a complicated relationship with Tyler Perry.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, I know.
Speaker 3: So you know in his movie Homecoming release on Netflix in twenty twenty two. I wasn't rushing to see it, but I watched it one day just to see what Tyler was talking about or whatever.
Speaker 1: Okay, fair enough, And to.
Speaker 3: My surprise, like I didn't see this promoted anywhere, I didn't see people talking about it online. But there was a very superfluous flashback scene where Medea inserts herself in the civil rights movement the day Rosa Parks decides to not move from her seat on the bus.
Speaker 1: Madea inserts herself how.
Speaker 3: Basically, she says, Rosa Parks ran off with her man and was on the bus with him. Give a town.
Speaker 4: She says, you know why Rose didn't get off that bus.
Speaker 1: People think she was trying to have black people, but that is not at all what happened. All the reason Rosa didn't get off that bus, she din won't get our ass whooped because she has stole my man. That's an interesting creative choice, to say the least. So were people up in arms about it like they were about barber shop.
Speaker 3: Not at all. Like I said, I didn't see anything about it. I didn't even know the movie had it in there until I watched it well after it was released, because nobody was talking about it. Tyler Perry told Variety that he actually did this joke in front of Missus Parks during Diary of a Mad Black Woman in Detroit, which was one of his most famous plays, and she said she thought it was funny. Really well, you know, according to Tager Perry.
Speaker 1: Right now, is that a trusted source or is it a bias to her?
Speaker 3: You know, he might have put it a little extra on it, but he said, initially I was nervous. I was like, oh Lord, what's she going to say? Her caregiver was someone who worked with Sicily type and for many years, and they would call me up and tell me how much she enjoyed it, how much it made her laugh.
Speaker 1: It's definitely in the same spirit as the barbershop joke. So I'm curious about why the response is different. What do you think, Well, I do wonder about the reach of the movies, Like movies work a lot different now than they did in barbershops time, Like there were more cultural touch points, and Barbershop was definitely one of those movies, especially for black culture, and especially because it was about a barber shop. Like, Oh, black people love talking about the camaraderie of the barbershop and how it's just for us, and how the conversations that happened there don't happen anywhere else, Like that is a long standing thing that Black people love to talk about. So I wonder if the whole the the culture around movies being cultural touch points, things that people gathered around at a single moment in time that like it was back in that day versus how it is now, Like it's a lot more dispersed. The way we watch films, we don't watch them at the same time, the conversations that happened around it happened in so many different places that I think it's harder to distill it down to a single point, so I think that might have something to do with it. But I also think that I don't know, maybe there's something about context to where the comment that subject the entertainer's character made in barber Shop was more pointed and the language was a lot clearer, like who is Rosa Parks versus what Medea said was more like this created fantastical fantasy set within a part of the movie that was clearly about like a situation that was more fictional versus something that felt like more nonfictional.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can see that. Also, it's interesting that Tyler Perry said that he did the joke in Diary and Mad Black Woman, like the play version, but took it out of Diary of a Mad Black Woman, the movie version, because when the movie came out, I think it might have been a similar time in movies closer to Barbershop. But I think it was like a calculated decision, Like I saw what happened with barber Shop, I'm going to just like avoid all this smoke and like put it in like years and years later and then kind of like preemptively being on on the record saying Missus Parks heard this joke and she thought it was funny, Like you know what I'm saying. Also, it was twenty twenty two, the reckoning, yeah, not even the reckoning like we were going to ask Molly wopped. Oh yeah, ye yeah, you know, COVID.
Speaker 1: Was going on.
Speaker 3: The racial working was slowing down a little bit. But I think people were just like fucking tired.
Speaker 1: We were also grasping at straws for things that we could enjoy. Yeah, and media.
Speaker 3: So it's like, okay, whatever, I think.
Speaker 1: So what you're saying is we're all very disenchanted. Yeah, we're all cynical at this point. Yeah, we have tie, we don't energy. Eggs are seventeen dollars? Are we really going to fight chickens?
Speaker 3: And also she's no longer alive at this point too, So I think that was a big part of the thing in two thousand and two, is like you talk about this old woman who you should like have like a lot of respect for and be showing some reverence towards. You make a front of her say she ain't do nothing, she can hear you. So I think that that also might play a part into it too. I'm not saying there were no positive depictions of Rosa Parks beyond our textbooks. We've got the two thousand and two biopics Starrying Angela Bassett so came out the same year as Barbershop, and then twenty years later The Rebellious Life of Missus Rosa Parks, which is a documentary that came out in twenty joy two, so that's actually the same year as Homecoming of the Tyler Perry movie.
Speaker 1: She also wrote an autobiography titled Rosa Parks My Story.
Speaker 3: Indeed, there's so much said and written about Roads of Parks, but I was interested in knowing more about her as not the legendary civil rights that she is now, but also as a person, what she did beyond the movement, which I think sometimes gets overlooked. In twenty sixteen, Rosa Parks's nieces and nephews released the book Our Auntie Rosa. The Family of Rosa Parks Remembers her Life and Lessons. It's full of beautiful personal memories they had with their aunt and the lessons they learned from her.
Speaker 4: My name is Sheila McAuley Keys. I am the seventh niece of Rosa McAuley Parks. My father was her brother and the only sibling. I am an author, and Rosa Parks was my aunt and also my mother.
Speaker 1: After the break, we'll speak with Sheila McCauley Keys, Rosa Parks's seventh niece and the author of the book Our Auntie Rosa.
Speaker 3: We saw the book that you and your brothers and sisters and nieces and nephews wrote, and we were really excited to read it and learn more about Rosa Parks from y'all's perspective. And I was wondering, with so many books written about your aunt, why was it important for your family to write a book from a more personal perspective.
Speaker 4: The reason why it was important for us to come from our perspective because we were her brother's children and we wanted the public to know of our experiences with our aunt. She basically raised us. Most of of us were grown already, but my parents, her brother, Sylvester McCauley, died in nineteen seventy seven, her husband died in seventy seven. My grandmother died soon thereafter. That's Rosa Parks's mom, and then my mother died in eighty two. So she was a matriarch. She became the matriarch of our family, and she was the glue that held us all together. Believe it or not, there was thirteen of us, and she was so strong. She went on about giving us away at weddings, showing up to high school graduation. She showed up to my son's middle school graduation. She was everywhere. Anytime there was a picnic, she was there. She arranged family reunions, She was the matriarch. She became the leader of our family, the Macaulay family, after all the other adults had passed on, had transitioned. So we felt it necessary because it was a lot going on in two thousand and five. When she passed, we were left out of a lot of any type of actual arrangements. We weren't taken into consideration the things she told us. This is what I wanted my funeral. I don't want people talking in me, you know. But the funeral was of epic proportions. I would say it was like seven and a half hours long, and every political figure you could imagine was there, and it was you know, it was okay because everyone wanted to pay their respects, you know. So I understood that. But then we decided to write. You know, it helped us to grieve, That's what it did. It was a grieving process. Our young people really need to know her, and so that's what I look at it as they need to know what a treasure she was.
Speaker 3: I was hoping if you could read from page twenty eight, you're talking about when your father died and like Auntie Rosa like stepping into that more parental figure cryay.
Speaker 4: It showed in the manner that she parented us naturally without having experienced parenthood for herself at all. Thinking about it now, we realize that nearly thirty years of bonding with Auntie Rosa after her brother passed was an extension of the bond she had first formed with him during their childhood. Her devotion to all of us grew from one of the most important relationships she had ever had. Oh that was something to read. I forgot about that one. When father died of stomach cancer in nineteen seventy seven, Auntie Rosa said she would always be grateful to our mother because she was by father's side every day. We had never seen Auntie Rosa cry until she spoke at his funeral. Auntie Rosa probably never expected brother to be the first of them to die. Some of us were still teenagers, and she seemed to feel responsible for us even more after he was gone. It showed in so many of the ways that she became a bigger presence in our lives.
Speaker 3: It's a really beautiful tribute, and reading it, I was like, Wow, everyone should do this for their family member because it's such a rich text. It's a document that would be very hard to get otherwise. It's really touching seeing you and Rhea write that about Missus Parks and her stepping up to be that figure for y'all when your father died, and it was nice to hear about y'all living in the house together and just be a really tight knit community and tight knit family. Did you discover anything new about her while you were writing this book.
Speaker 4: The only thing I discovered was what deep love she had for her husband and the love letters that they had written back and forth to each other. I discovered that, and I said, while she was a human, you know, because I always saw she walked on water and she floated through the room, and she was Auntie Rosa. The thing that I learned more about her personal side with her own husband uncle Parks was a great guy. He's a great, great person. He was a sweet man. So that when I learned that about how they really did love each other. They wrote those love letters back and forth, I was like, whoa they they were really married. I'm so silly. I was just a kid, and I didn't really know they had she she really had a life with this man. And I did see her her voice wavered when she called my mother and said Park said died. She told called my mother and said Parks pasted the day, and her voice shook. I was like, oh, my goodness, you know, and I found that she had feelings, and I thought, you know, she was rough and tough. She rosa Parks. She got the powerful fists up and stuff. She was a beautiful lady. That's what she was, beautiful lady of faith. So I just found out more on the personal side, she was just like everybody else. I really wish I think I would have treated her differently. I treated her like Auntie Rosa. I think I would have tried to have more open conversations with her. But my aunt was like this. I wasn't her contemporary, I wasn't her age, so she was never going to speak to me the way that she would speak to my father, for instance. So my mother, they were her contemporaries, not me. I was a little girl. I would never be on that level for her to speak to me about any thing that was going on with her, you know, anything personal. I wasn't the one, so I don't think any of her nieces and nephews were. And this is how Auntie Rosa was. If you had wanted to ask her a question, you could ask her the question. But if you never asked her, she was volunteering no information. She was not messy boots.
Speaker 3: I think it's funny already say like she wouldn't speak to her nieces and nephews like in that gossip you way, and in the book you and your brothers and sisters kind of talk about how she didn't really like speaking about the incident on the bus. Do you wish she would have spoken about her role in the civil rights movement more? And could you give us your recollection of that bus incident? How she did tell y'all about it.
Speaker 4: She told my sister Shirley about it because my Shirley was writing a paper. My sister Shirley, she was writing a paper at school and she asked her about it. I never asked her, Hey, what happened on that bus. But when she told my sister what happened, it was different from what the media was portraying. And my sister asked, well, why didn't you ever say anything. She said, well, I knew what happened. I just ran with that narrative, and that was what they wanted to portray, that the bus was crowded, and it wasn't you know. It was a lot of things, a lot of tensions and in the South. But she had said that it's this bus driver. He knew she worked for the NAACP, and he was just a meano, nasty bus driver and he would have all the color people they called him. At the time. We were colored, we would go to the front, pay your fare, and then get off and go to the back to get on. When Auntie Rosa would do that, he would just pull off and leave. So he had an attitude towards her anyway. He didn't like nobody that was colored. He just hated them. And he told her to move when she really didn't have to get up and move, and the other colored people on the bus did get up. I think two other people did, and she just said, no, it's plenty of spase, I'm not doing that. And uh, he said, well, I'm gonna call the police. She said, okay, oh yeah, what what the heck? But she had been training for this day. This day was gonna come. It came from many other people before, and some of them they took away and you never saw him again. I think Claude Covin. They took her away and she lived. I think she was a teenager when they took her away. She wouldn't move. There were other people that did the same thing Auntie Rosa did, but they were NAACP was looking for somebody that will be I think acceptable by the country, and Auntie Rosa, though had been training for this, she just didn't say, hey, I'm not moving today. She had actually trained to do what she did, and she just said I'm not doing it because she had had enough. So people didn't know back in those days or even now, that could get you your head blown off, and so the amount of courage it took for her to say no, I'm not doing it, it took a lot because he could have just drew his gun and shot her, and that would have been the end of her. They want you to comply, comply, do what I say, do what I say, like get out here. You're a human just like me, how to do what you say? I was glad that she did that because it changed our world. It changed the world we live in and the whole planet. It changed everything the way people believe they ought not be treated and they stand up. And that's what we need more of today. We need people to stand up and say no, We're not taking this anymore.
Speaker 1: And do you think thats not talking to y'all until you specifically asked her questions about things, do you think that that was part of her personality or do you think any part of that came from her doing movement work and knowing that certain things had to stay close to the chest.
Speaker 4: She was very stealthy, I'll tell you that. And because they would have these secret meetings and she would not tell people anything. And my parents they did the same thing, and I'm like, what are they doing. I think that the adults in our family did not include us kids and a lot of that business, and I think it was a form of protecting us. And also I think Auntie Rosa she did a lot of investigative work about some of the women down in Montgomery that were raped attacked, and she would you get all this information, and she knew who to talk to and who not to talk to you about what she found out. And I think that helped her to stay alive, you know, because if you told them wrong person and they went running back, it's just, you know, too much chatter. So she I think learned by habit doing that, not volunteering any information it wasn't necessary.
Speaker 3: I heard that Auntie Rosa was a great cook, and I was wondering, what your favorite recipe she made it.
Speaker 4: I just did a interview with somebody about It was some kind of pancakes, the peanut butter featherlight pancakes. It was a recipe she had written down on the bag. And the lady called me because she made those pancakes and they were so good. Those weren't good pancakes, the peanut butter feather lights, and you had to cook them really slow or they would burn. And Auntie Rosa would take notes, like when she was writing up her little recipe, she would take notes if you turned the heat up too high and she would write that down. It will burn. Don't we turned it up? So she tell you, but a pinch of salt, a little dash of sugar, whatever, it's Southern way of cookie. They knew what a pinch was. I still don't know. Offer the whole box of salt and be making a miss. But she said a pitch. She meant the pitch to season. And those pancakes are good.
Speaker 1: Those are the kinds of things that people would never know or never think about when they think about your auntie Rosa. It's like we have this really a lot of the times, we have so many misconceptions and all this misinformation about people who become larger than life in people's minds who didn't know Rosa Parks. And this happens with so many civil rights leaders that live in so many people's minds, as these figures that we see on television all the time and we hear their quotes, but we don't fully know the real them. So it's really nice to hear those parts of them that really bring more of their humanity in. But I do think because we don't know their full selves, there are so many times when we used their names in ways that for instance, in media and in storytelling, there are so many times that Rosa Parks's name has been used where they co opt her legacy to tell their stories. So I was wondering if you or your family ever think about or have ever thought about the ways that people used their auntie's name and film in ways that have to do with the ways that they think about your auntie's legacy.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, and also in real life, movies are make believe. On heard many times where I think it was something in barbershop Rose Parts ain't doing nothing, you know, just ran off. And then I've worked with people that even said to me it didn't know I was related to Rose parents. Oh, Rosea pars ain't doing nothing. She didn't do nothing. I was like, well, the thing that she did, whatever, her nothing, is allowing you to sit exactly where you are. And I don't see a white's only sign, you know, in any restaurant now, So what do you mean she didn't do nothing? She affected a change that you didn't or nobody that you know did. So when people say that, it doesn't offend me because I know movies are make believe. Even Tyler Perry when he used Auntie Bros's name, it was comedy comedy. It was funny, and I laughed at it because it was funny. I don't take offense, you know, I don't take offense to these scenes because I know a movie is made to affect some type of emotion in you, and basically Tyler Perry just made me laugh. But I think the Barbershop movie, a few people got mad about that, but it's okay, it's a movie. What the heck. They don't know her, They didn't know her. They you know, everything she did was for them, everything for the people making the movie, everything she did, and they know that. In real life, I think she did something that moved the whole world.
Speaker 1: But I think that'll also be part of what your book helps with it being a teaching tool, like you said, of people being able to see a fuller version of who she actually was and what her character was.
Speaker 4: Like this book, you know, I could give this to my grandkids. What happened when my children got a chance to know her because my mother and my father had passed, So my two sons, they held her hand, they sat with her, they got a chance to know her. But then my grandkids didn't. So then my sons tell his son's stories about her, and all I offer is the book. We can always open that and we can go to you know, certain sections to see what she would do if this or that came up. There's an answer or you know, some type of remedy that she would give us.
Speaker 1: How do you think your Auntie Rosa would have felt about the book if she read it?
Speaker 4: Well, what's not to like? I think she would like it because it was well thought out, it was a heartfelt, so I think she would like it. School children could even read it and take from it write a report if they want, and I think she would have liked that idea of it being an educational tool. If need me.
Speaker 3: Now it's time for roll credits, the segment where we give credit to a person, place, or thing that we encountered during the week, and we have our guests, Miss Sheila joining us. But first, Eves, who are what would you like to give credit to?
Speaker 1: I like to give credit to Misch Sheila and all of your family members that wrote this book and that we're willing to share their memories of Rosa Parks because without y'all, we wouldn't know any of this, and I think it's just incredibly enlightening to have this information. It helps me understand people and history that are very important to us, that pave the way for us to literally exist in this country. To know those things about them is a blessing, It's a privileg and I would just like to give credit to y'all because I'm thankful for that.
Speaker 3: How about you, Miss Sheila, Who or what would you like to give credit to?
Speaker 4: I would like to give credit to young man for bringing the descendants together in Washington, DC. His name is Joshua Jordanson, and he came up with this idea back in twenty eighteen to bring all the descendants together because without the descendants, without the ancestors, rather, we just wouldn't be here without Harriet Tubman. For sure, a lot of us wouldn't be here without my Auntie Rosa. You know, a lot of us wouldn't be here. So I'm giving credit to him this week for pulling together Frederick Douglas, Ida b Wells, Martin, Luther King, Malcolm X. A lot of the descendants came together and met, shook hands and hug and fellowship. And I thought that was really a cool thing because now we can forge something out of that. We're going to push forward for our communities, and that brought about some ideas for our heads. So I thought that was the coolest thing. So I'm thankful for that person for coming up with that idea.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's very powerful. I'm I'm super excited to see what comes out of it, and I'm looking forward to y'all for y'all to have that experience every year. Because he said y'all are thinking about doing it and laid out I think that would be really cool. I would like to give credit to breaking the rules, and obviously that's inspired by Rosa Parks. But as Michila said, we should take some of the lessons that we learned from our ancestors like Rosa Parks and apply them today. And today we're seeing a lot of strange things going on and a lot of rules that just don't make sense. And we know they don't make sense. They are insulting to our common sense. Yet a lot of times, just because it is a rule, we decide to follow it. So I want to encourage people, if it is a stupid rule, do not follow it and make it known that you're not about that. You're not going to just go with whatever someone says especially when they mean you know good, I'm gonna give credit to breaking the rules. Thanks so much, Mischila for joining us. You will and we will see y'all next week.
Speaker 1: Bye on Theme is a production of iHeartRadio and Fairweather Friends Media. This episode was written by Eves, Jeffco and Katie Mitchell. It was edited and produced by Tari Harrison. Follow us on Instagram at on Theme Show. You can also send us an email at hello at on Theme dot show. Head to on Themet Show to check out the show notes for episodes. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.