Speaker 1: Hello, Welcome to a very special be kind Rewind. We've surprised everyone in our be kind Rewind series as we usually bring back a cast member or a crew member to talk about one specific episode of Boy Meets World, someone making a return appearance. Yet this week we have two very talented guests from a totally different rewatch universe. It's a collaboration you definitely did not see coming. Welcome to the podcast, Jenna Fisher and Angela Kinsey of Alpice Lady.
Speaker 2: Hi, you're so excited.
Speaker 3: We are two.
Speaker 2: Are you okay?
Speaker 1: Word?
Speaker 2: It was just going to be us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, We're pretty sure it was going to be the whole time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, my goodness.
Speaker 1: We are thrilled to have you here. So thank you for joining us. Did you guys have any backup names for the podcast before you came up with office ladies?
Speaker 5: Oh? Did you guys? Did you have backup?
Speaker 6: We called it like we had we We also had like boy meets Pod.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Stalt.
Speaker 4: Couch style couch.
Speaker 7: At one point we had saw where it was late night.
Speaker 6: It was like the two o'clock in the morning pitch where it's like, okay, that's obviously not a good one to go with but no, I think we just moved pod around until we hit.
Speaker 7: But I remember we said pod and we were like, wow, that's what There was no other option.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well we call each other lady like when we're talking to be like, lady, we'll not believe what happened to lady. Yeah we do. And then we were like, well we are the office ladies. And then that stuck. We never had a backup.
Speaker 7: One of you guys launch was.
Speaker 3: It was October of twenty nineteen.
Speaker 7: Yeah. Yeah, see that's like we were talking about doing this back in twenty eighteen, twenty nineteen, and you guys really proved that the rewatch thing was a thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, you hear your flowers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because, as a writer mentioned, when we first started talking about doing this, there wasn't a rewatch podcast out yet, and no one knew what it was.
Speaker 2: We were like, how do you do you do it? Do you watch the episode?
Speaker 7: We were like, is it DVD commentary?
Speaker 5: Do we commentary?
Speaker 4: What's going on?
Speaker 7: I watched the show?
Speaker 5: We didn't know what to do.
Speaker 7: So and thank you you were.
Speaker 1: Meeting the way and showed everybody truly what is possible.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 1: And so the amount of times we said, if we can just do a fraction of what the office ladies do, we will have something there.
Speaker 2: So who for being pioneer trail blazers, it does.
Speaker 3: Mean a lot. And you know, I don't know if you've noticed, but now like current television shows have like companion podcasts, yeah, come out like in real time. Yep, that's sort of I think, like a new iteration of the rewatch.
Speaker 1: You're right, And if I may say, I think one of the reasons your podcast and now our podcasts work is because of the space and distance from the show. I think the companion piece, well, it is going to be its own, successful, wonderful thing.
Speaker 2: But one of the things.
Speaker 1: I love about what we do is that there is for us, especially we were children.
Speaker 7: Yeah, looking far back, like for.
Speaker 1: Us it's like watching home movies and reliving like what was going on in our personal lives, and it's that for.
Speaker 5: All of us you can separate from it.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 5: I think the companion podcast with TV shows is sort of taking the place of what DVD commentaries were. Feels a little bit like that.
Speaker 4: It's also another way.
Speaker 6: To screw the actors because now you sign the contract and it's also the podcast is part of the contract. Yes, right, Yeah, it's like, hey, what else can we get from yet?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 5: So kind of true, Yes, very true.
Speaker 4: It's tough.
Speaker 5: Well, thank you for saying that, because Jenna and I worked really hard at trying to figure out what our show was going to sound like. And I mean, how many times do we do our quote our unofficial pilot?
Speaker 3: So yeah, we actually started with Healthcare, which is not the first episode, but we were too afraid to start with the pilot, and we recorded Healthcare probably three three times because we just thought it was Cuddy the first couple of.
Speaker 5: Times, yes, and we just couldn't figure out really like, okay, what's our top of show, what does it look like? And it just took us a beat to find it, and then we found it.
Speaker 3: And we also just like figure out what were our roles, what were our jobs? Yes, and then we kind of figured out like who does what and what.
Speaker 5: Naturally just we both like to tackle. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, but I mean it is not We are not being hyperbolic when we say that all that work you guys put into it.
Speaker 7: We Maria plus, when Ryder and.
Speaker 6: I realized just put the bulk of the work on Danielle.
Speaker 3: Well, I've listened to your podcast as you guys do a great job.
Speaker 5: I think you were.
Speaker 3: Right to put Danielle in charge, and I'm putting her as in charge.
Speaker 2: Yes, she keeps us on structure.
Speaker 5: Yes. Also your scene by scene like retelling is so good. Thank you, Like you can follow the show, you really can, I can imagine it in your head.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you. I do really appreciate that.
Speaker 1: They are honestly, the chemistry the same thing that you guys have, the stuff that you can't you know, when you think about the three times you did the pilot or you did healthcare, it wasn't because your chemistry wasn't there. That's the part you can't fake. That's the part that is the real magic of it. And the rest of it's just kind of figuring out the nuts and bolts and that for us pretty once we figured.
Speaker 3: Well, had you guys all still been in touch?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I really came out together. We started and we were like, there's so many people that want to meet us and still talk about this show. Is how do we engage that audience?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What was a combination of doing the q and as and hearing the questions the audience would ask of us in a Q and A and then the face to face meet and greets where people would tell you how each episode impacted them or which character they felt the closest and most related to. And it was like one night then after dinner, you know, everyone at these conventions goes to dinner together, and we would sit around and have conversations and we think, how do we get this type of conversation to have the feeling at the Q and A like, how do we translate this to Q and A feeling? And how do we get their individual stories? And that's kind of what started it. What if we turned these conversations into a podcast, But you guys, seriously, we wouldn't have known even what to do to do all without.
Speaker 4: You, yep, so thank you for doing that for us.
Speaker 5: I have to give a shout out to Jenna because Jenna's brain is so like able to see structure immediately, and really the whole top of our show, like the layout of it, was Jenna's idea. And then I sort of would just share, you know, the things that mean something to me, like when I watch an episode, or that things we clue into are very different, like I become obsessed with everyone's wardrobe, that all the plants that cycled through Front reception and who's where are these plants coming from? Pms not taking care of them? Yeah, and then and then jee because.
Speaker 4: Then when Dwight left during the salesman, the planets died.
Speaker 5: The plants died. Yeah, yeah, well also I think when Aaron took over Front reception, you saw a real dip. Yeah, sorry, sorry, Erin. But and then Jenna would be like, well, I want to learn all about the location and like that production side of it. And then we're both just curious people in different ways.
Speaker 3: And we're also still in touch with our crew, and our crew has been such a big part of Office Ladies. Every single one of our production managers they have we have three different guys who had that job throughout the course of the nine years. We're in touch with all three of them, and for all of their seasons. They would give us the behind the scenes tib. It's like they tell me, like, how much did it cost for Dwight to sing Ryan started the fire?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: A lot?
Speaker 3: I remember the time.
Speaker 5: I tell you it's always way more than you think. And then I would say, hey, can you tell me the cat actors that played you know, Bandit and Sprinkle. I would get a whole like resume with photos.
Speaker 3: Did you know that cats have cat actors? They have little headshots?
Speaker 5: Yes, not kidding, Yes, and that's really cute.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I had to cast a bunch of dogs for an episode of Lopez Versus Lopez and we got full dog resumes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the dog resumes. I have to go through and look at the.
Speaker 4: How awesome a job would that?
Speaker 6: Period?
Speaker 5: Pivot?
Speaker 6: Just like sitting like, I don't think you've got a kid cat running away?
Speaker 2: Well, something that's worth getting out of the way.
Speaker 1: At the very beginning, neither of you had seen an episode of Boy Meets World before we decided to do this little mashup, right, this is true.
Speaker 5: Yes, this was not a full episode. I don't think when.
Speaker 3: You guys had this show on the air, I was not in your demo.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I knew.
Speaker 3: Of the show, and I knew of its popularity just in pop culture, but I had not seen it same.
Speaker 6: Okay, do you remember mentioning it on the office? You know you talk about Boys World on the Office.
Speaker 2: What Episodease explain this?
Speaker 6: We do you do so last season or second to last season. Dwight is now in charge of the office and he thinks that Jim and Pam can kind of read each other's minds. And he says, all right, so what are you thinking right now? And Pam says thinking about the opening title sequence to Save by the Bell?
Speaker 4: And you say, ooh, so close is the opening title sequence? A boy met world?
Speaker 7: Yes, you actually met?
Speaker 2: Our show exists in your universe?
Speaker 7: Do I remember watching it?
Speaker 4: Was a huge fan.
Speaker 6: I remember watching like, yeah, we got a shout out.
Speaker 5: Oh that's so great. Yeah, I mean I'm a I'm a smidge older than y'all. So have you seen it?
Speaker 1: Are familiar with IF? Because one of if not your first acting gig, was.
Speaker 2: On Step by Step? Is this correct?
Speaker 5: That's right?
Speaker 2: Okay, what do you remember from that?
Speaker 5: Guess? My goodness. So the lead gal is gonna her parents think she's going to Elope, but she's not. And they show up at this church and there is someone her size. I got cast just because I was her size, and I auditioned for it and it was one line and I auditioned for it, and like three months later it was like a really long time. They're like, oh, you got the part. And then I said oh, and then I said okay. And then I was like, did they give me any notes about it? And they said oh, they said, just do exactly what you did in the audition.
Speaker 2: And I had no idea.
Speaker 5: And my my scene is I'm at the altar and it was oh, Patrick Duffy and Susan Summers and I was like, oh, margol, I mean I watched Dallas, I mean Freeze Company, and they I'm running in this little chapel and Susanne Summers grabs my shoulder and whips me around and goes, you're not Simone. I still remember this is so she goes, she goes, You're not Simone and I go, no, but thanks for ruining the best day of my life. And I did it so big, and the writer came over to me and goes, can you just kind of do it the way you did it? And I was like, oh no, and I was too nervous to say I don't remember. I should have just said that, can you tell me what I did?
Speaker 2: Can you just hit me a lie?
Speaker 5: I will just do it exactly how you tell me to. But then I just was like so then I just kind of started, oh so bad y'all. I started saying it like that, I would like hit a different word, you know, with.
Speaker 7: The punch of different things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh my god.
Speaker 5: Thanks for ruining. Can I say it if it was my life? And I just saw them over like you know how they sidebar and video writers like I saw him go like I was like, oh no, it made it in though it's not good, but it made it in.
Speaker 7: Over the top considering how subtle you guys are on the office, Like that's wrong. That's the greatest strength, right, It's like it was a show that really brought like more realistic acting and like understated performances, and that's what struck me watching it. So it's hysterical that you can it's also kind of.
Speaker 4: Impressive to be over the top on tgif that's amazing, I know.
Speaker 5: I mean I was doing sketch comedy though, and I want all my characters. And honestly, I thought I was going to get fired from the office because my very first scene, and Jenna knows this story, all I had to say, you know, someone's going to get fired, And all I had to say was, it'll probably be me. It's probably going to be me. To Kevin and Ken Kappas came over to me and I was like, it's probably going to be me, and he goes less just half of that just and so I was like, it'll probably be me, and he was a little bit less by the time I said the line. I was like, it'll probably be me and he was like, perferfect. So that was my lesson one oh one. Right away.
Speaker 1: I was like, do nothing, give us nothing? Yes, yes, Jenna. What did you watch as a kid?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: Well, I loved Cheers. That was a family favorite. R rewatching it recently and man, the pilot of Cheers is a chef's.
Speaker 1: Kiss, one of the best pilots it's ever on a plane recently, Yeah, and was like, so this is beautiful.
Speaker 4: It really is.
Speaker 3: It's amazing. Shout out to the Breaking Bad Pilot, which I also like one of the greatest.
Speaker 4: Another great one.
Speaker 3: I watched news Radio. That was one that I loved. I also watched Wonder Years, Yes, yeah, Golden Girls, Rachel so that was kind of Those were the shows I watched growing.
Speaker 2: Oh, you had good taste?
Speaker 3: Well there, I don't know, it's what was on.
Speaker 7: There's also good TV.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, So for this episode, we have decided to pick an episode of our respective shows for the other podcast to watch and then.
Speaker 2: We're going to discuss it.
Speaker 1: The only real criteria was that we wanted an episode that was reflective of the show as a whole, So we chose one of our podcast favorite episodes, season four, episode two, which is called hair Today Goon Tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Writer, do you want to maybe break down why we chose this one?
Speaker 7: I think it was. It was a good one. I had a it showed all of our strengths. I think as.
Speaker 2: Characters want to pay.
Speaker 7: There's a lot of times on our show where it will be like one character's arc and everybody else is relegated to I mean, Danielle isn't even in so many of the episodes, and I realize watching back. So this was a good one for you, A good one for Will's story with the story.
Speaker 6: A story, good story, yes, yeah, good bounce and we actually got to talk to each other in this episode was just kind of rare.
Speaker 7: They often sort of it was you know, me and Corey or Corey intopanga, and this one integrated those two. So we just thought it was a good like.
Speaker 6: This could kind of be considered the start of the Shan to Panga friendship where you really see that the characters existed together, not just through Corey.
Speaker 5: They had that sweet moment in the bathrooms where have You Gone?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's really one of the first times we're season four of the show. It's one of the first times you understand that they know each other outside of just being related to Corey in some way.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 6: They really made Daniel feel like she was lucky to be there for like the first two or three seasons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, two or three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I felt pretty much the whole whole time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty much the whole time I was there.
Speaker 1: They were like, well, yikes, we were going to say we're lucky to have you.
Speaker 5: We say too, And she gave you your shoulders.
Speaker 1: So what would you guys say, is the most valuable thing you have learned on your rewatch journey of the office?
Speaker 5: Oh that's a good question. I mean, I mean, just right off the cuff. For me, I would say, I'm just thankful. Yeah, really, I'm just thankful that we got to be part of a show that means something to people, and parents share it with their kids and it's being passed down generations, and I'm thankful that I get to do this job with my best friend who I love being creative with, and I was so worried when the show ended. There was that part of me that had this heartbreak that I would never get to be creative with Jenna again. And so I don't know, I don't know if that's what I learned, but I think I've learned a lot of gratitude. I guess.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: So we've watched every episode now, okay, and I think my biggest takeaway from that experience is that the show is really good the whole time. Yeah, So, like I think as a cast or as like an office family, there's maybe this little belief that earlier seasons were quote unquote better or that, like I don't know, like I have some favorite episodes that are in season eight great and season nine, and even after Steve left after season seven, there is still so much good in the show. And I think, of course, that was our fear when Steve left, was that the show would, you know, never be the same or not be as good or whatever. But in sitting and rewatching it, I just think like there is so much growth in the different characters, And I think the other thing I learned is how fun it is to rewatch it. Yeah, that there are all these little details in it that fans would talk to us about that I didn't remember. And I think getting to watch it with such separation from having done it, getting to watch it like maybe through through a fan's eyes, like now I am a fan. That's what we did. And and so I like to geek out with fans about it because I'm just as excited about little hidden storylines and deep cuts as they are.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you have an appreciation for your other actors that you know, there were a lot of scenes I wasn't in, and and so I wasn't there when they were filmed, and I didn't see how it played out. And then I get to go and watch it and be like, oh my gosh, Phyllis man for every line, She's so like. So we have this appreciation too, I think for other characters.
Speaker 6: And well, I was just going to ask, who do you think is the most underappreciated character on the Office.
Speaker 3: Phyllis is a good choice. She's so solid and she's so funny, but then she'll break your heart.
Speaker 5: Your heart.
Speaker 3: When I was rewatching, I became completely tickled by dj Novak and if he still has some line reads that are just some of my favorite.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have a little bit of a I mean, I also to just I'm so glad to hear it's apparently a universal experience because your two answers are two of the things we have talked about so much, Like one recognizing that for us, especially as teenagers who were in so myopic and like, oh my life and my boyfriend, I've got a really my world should be high school and I'm being taken away from it, Like I can look back on it now and have so much gratitude for the job, the show, the fact that I met my two best friends doing it, that we're still in touch, that we still get to talk about it, like we've talked about that so much. And then exactly like you said, Jenna, we people for years would come up and talk to us about what the show meant to them and how certain episodes were important.
Speaker 2: They'd be like, you know that scene, and no, I don't know.
Speaker 7: I'm sorry, I do what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I don't know, I don't remember that.
Speaker 1: And now we see those little moments and we are fans of the show, and one thing that will has brought up that I think is really is maybe the case for the Office as well. If you can recognize that there are sometimes many shows within the show, depending on what season you're in. It's like Boy Meets World started with a bunch of twelve year olds as the star. If you watch season one and two, you're going to be looking at little kids experiencing junior high and then the beginning of high school. If you're watching in season four and five, you're seeing kids really well established in a high school dealing with real world problems, drinking, breakups, prom all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: And then if you watch six and seven, you.
Speaker 4: Can what the hell am I watching right now?
Speaker 6: Like that's just that from what's going it's really great and it's college.
Speaker 1: And so if you can, if you can eventually get to a place where you let go of like, well what happened to the twelve year olds, well forget about that. This is season six and seven of Boy Meets World. It's kind of a new show within the show. It has its own you take on your own appreciation.
Speaker 7: Well that's what great teav he does.
Speaker 6: And the Office is up there, I think with rarefied television shows mash was like that, where again you get people that are like, the first four seasons best you'll ever get, and people like, no, it's the middle ones know, the later seasons when they got dramatic, are the best.
Speaker 4: The Office is just like that.
Speaker 6: People might have their version of the best version of the show, but you're always going to find other people that love something else about it. So that's what makes great TV. That's what hit last. There's always something for someone. So yes, you guys are up there with very rarefied air with yeah your show.
Speaker 1: This is a bit of a niche podcast question, but I know for us when people come up to us now and they were fans of Boy Meets World, but now they're fans of Pod meets World and they actually have they know the inside jokes of the pod.
Speaker 5: They know the real.
Speaker 1: People behind the characters now because they gotten to know us as individuals through the podcast, that has felt even more meaningful than any of the work we did on the show.
Speaker 2: Do you guys feel the same way? Yes.
Speaker 3: My husband will joke with me that if someone comes up and says, oh my gosh, I love the Office, he's like, you're very polite. You'll take a picture. But if someone comes up and says, oh my gosh, I love Office Ladies, he's like, you make them your new best friends. Yes, up in a way that is you are so proud of the podcast and the connections, but it's also the community. And I know you guys have a similarly, like I don't know what you would call it, loyal community of listeners, and I mean you guys know and Danielle, I mean we have this in common. Like I went through breast cancer and all last year, all the treatment. I mean, I can't tell you how the podcast helped carry me through that. But also our podcast listeners, the cards, the messages, the videos, like it is a community that we've made that is separate from the office. There are office fans and there's an office community, but there is an Office Ladies community. Yes, that means so much to us and we're so proud to be a part.
Speaker 2: Of Yeah, exactly. Couldn't agree with you more.
Speaker 1: The emails, the messages, the outpouring of support. How funny they all are too, like that they get it. The jokes they make when we post a picture of something and one of them makes a comment that's like, damn it.
Speaker 2: How did we not think to say that.
Speaker 1: You know, It's like they just they understand us now in a way we feel seen in a way that you don't normally feel when you're an actor.
Speaker 5: Well, a lot of people now talk to me and aren't afraid of me, so nice. I'm not very chatty and for a long time, like people would be like, oh, I would see someone say oh I saw you, and I wanted to say hi, but I was too afraid. And I'm like, and you know, if you come up and say hi to me, I'm gonna talk your ear off and at some point you're gonna be like I've got to go, and I'm like, no, We're still talking. So I think people now this is true, Like no know the podcast, they know that about me. And so we recently had some fan mail where someone said that her son she introduced her mom to the show and the podcast, and her son, this little kid was like, oh, and Angel's not a bee in real life. And I was like, oh, thank you so much for writing anything that Angela is not a bee in real life.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, all right, let's jump into hair today, goon tomorrow. So I would like to give our listeners a little synopsis before we jump in.
Speaker 2: So Tapanga takes drastic.
Speaker 1: Measures to prove to Corey that looks aren't important. But when Tapega gets a stunning makeover, Corey starts to feel even more self conscious. So what were your overall thoughts on the episode, Jenna, Let's start with you.
Speaker 3: My overall thought was that this was a beautiful episode of television and surprising and touching and funny, and I just I thought it was a pleasure my overall thought. And we did request like give us like a quintessential episode, and I have questions, but that was that was my over.
Speaker 2: You'll lead with that, Okay, great, Angela, what about you?
Speaker 5: I just thought it touched on such real storylines, like real things. I moved around a lot as a kid. I sometimes I wanted people to notice me. Sometimes I wanted to disappear as the new kid. And I just thought all of the things that the characters were going through about their own self image and how they fit in, and the heart to hearts that the characters had, and also, you know, I'm about to have two kids, hopefully in college maybe not so, like what does that look like as a parent? And I also really related to your guest star actors. You had such great characters. Anyway, I just really loved it. I thought it was a great episode.
Speaker 1: We call those drive bys when we get a guest star who comes in, is only there for one episode, has a handful of scenes, handful of lines.
Speaker 2: But they kill it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: We're like, that's a perfect drive.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, you just cruise through, drop a comedy bomb and so on.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I'll say it exceeded my expectations because my the only thing I knew was that I was going to watch a show like with teenagers, kind of for teenagers. Yeah, and so it definitely was. I was like, oh, but this is also just a great episode of comedy television. Like it didn't. It didn't feel like a kids show, right that.
Speaker 5: You performances are really solid, really good. You're very grounded.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Nice.
Speaker 7: Can we do this every week?
Speaker 4: We're just other shows come in and tell us we're awesome.
Speaker 1: You have no real point of reference andce you had never seen Boy Means World.
Speaker 2: You had no real point.
Speaker 1: Of reference for the Corey and to Panga relationship. True, what were your first impressions of them as a couple?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: So sweet, so sweet? Okay, Yeah, and I also was like, isold they always like that?
Speaker 5: Well, I was like a red flaggy. My thought was, she's clearly crazy about you. Why are you constantly second guessing yourself? What am I takeaways like, this girl's crazy.
Speaker 2: About clearly loves you.
Speaker 1: By the way, that does continue to maintain that topanga, very clearly love Corey.
Speaker 5: Super hoty guy with the good locker and that he had a card for his locker. Is that brilliant? But yeah, she's like, no, thanks, I'm going out with Corey. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Corey doesn't always recip for.
Speaker 2: Anything about doesn't know anything about it.
Speaker 4: Actually, we're just supposed to be together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he just feels like he has to be with her, but we.
Speaker 3: Were, but doesn't really like her all that month that was that was like nineties like love stories in an essence, you're right, you just tell me that it's true and then so we accept it.
Speaker 1: Correct And Boy Meets World has a lot of that. Yes, just tell me what the world is and I have to buy into it.
Speaker 7: Yes.
Speaker 1: So, growing up, did either of you want to act as a kid? Would you have wanted to be child actors?
Speaker 3: I wanted to not go to college. Okay, Yeah, so I was happy to finish high school. I actually loved my high school. I was in the theater club, never got any lead roles, but I was itching to drive to Los Angeles when I graduated from high school. I knew what I wanted to do for a living, and my parents insisted that I go to college. And I'm really glad that they did because of just the emotional and social development of those four years. I think I would have probably been eaten alive if I had tried to come here. I graduated high school at seventeen, So if I had driven out to LA at seventeen or eighteen, I just I wouldn't have had the I wouldn't have had the life skills because I would have been doing it on my own. I wouldn't have had the benefit of parents or anything. And so.
Speaker 4: That was me.
Speaker 5: That was yeah, I well did.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I moved down for boy met Row when I was sixteen seventeen.
Speaker 5: I'm very by yourself.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but well, I had a.
Speaker 6: Legal guardian who was my oldest brother's fraternity brother who I had met once before.
Speaker 4: We moved into the oak Wood together.
Speaker 5: Okay, and I didn't have those life skills.
Speaker 4: I mean, it was one of those things where again very close to my family.
Speaker 6: They're still around, thank god, and you know, they're great people, but they they're both lawyers, so they knew.
Speaker 4: They're like, if you want to do this, you have to go. And I'm from Connecticut.
Speaker 6: So I moved out here and I would walk by a pile of wash and was by the third time, I go, oh, that's right.
Speaker 4: I I have to do it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, my god.
Speaker 4: So it was, yeah, I had that.
Speaker 6: I was in exactly that position and I didn't have the life skills. And they talk about it today with they're like, it's crazy some of the things that I mean. I started auditioning in New York, and again my parents couldn't take me, so they dropped me off of the bus and I'd take a three hour bus ride down in New York. I'd walk around the city, I do my auditionals twelve and then I'd get back on the bus.
Speaker 4: And I go back to Connecticut.
Speaker 6: So this was it was that exact same thing where I didn't want to go to college. I knew what I wanted to do. I started working at eleven, but I didn't have the I have to cook for my So I was eating fast food every night. It's like the things that aren't healthy because I didn't have the life skills to go with it at the time.
Speaker 3: So yeah, my parents were very supportive as well of me, and they they were like, as soon as I graduated college, they were like, let's pack up your car and you can head out. But also I think they had been saving for my college. My parents are just like very practical, and they were like, we have saved this money.
Speaker 5: We don't want to buy yah, you will now yeah yeah, so yeah, yeah, so funny.
Speaker 2: Have either of you worked with a lot of child actors?
Speaker 5: I mean, well on the show okay, yeah, I mean I worked. I mean we had our babies, and you had a lot of work with the two little girls that played CC.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I also did a movie where I played a mother I had a son. It was called A Little Help. And then I was on a TV show for two years on ABC called Splitting Up Together where I had three children and so two teenagers and then one little guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, and I did a pilot or two and I've done I mean, I play I play Sabrina Carpenter's mom and Avia Michelle's mom and tall girl. That's right, Yeah, of course I was. I'm like more mom of teenagers or older kids.
Speaker 1: So funny a Sabrina Carpenter connection between us, so Corey's big reveal that he looks the exact same, trying at least to convey a message of beauty comes from within. Did you did that message work for you in hair today, goon tomorrow?
Speaker 3: You know what, Danielle, you were so beautiful before you cut your hair. You were so beautiful when your hair was uneven.
Speaker 4: I was like.
Speaker 2: About so beautiful after.
Speaker 7: And we set it all up where like me and Bann are like, look at her when she comes, You're completely It's like, you.
Speaker 2: Know, yes, it was so that part.
Speaker 3: I was a little bit like it was part of that thing where it's like, Okay, tell me what I have to buy into and I'll just go.
Speaker 5: Very stressed out. Because when you cut your hair off, I thought, oh no, the next scene is she's gonna really like be like.
Speaker 2: Well, then here's this right thought it was going to go.
Speaker 5: I thought I thought you were about to really really cut, like a buzz cut or something.
Speaker 4: Right, didn't you have to negotiate even to cut that much off.
Speaker 1: So the haircut, you know, I really did cut my hair. It was it was not a wig.
Speaker 3: It was seemed clear.
Speaker 2: It was definitely my hair. And you had your artist bag.
Speaker 1: I had my artist bag. So very clever, That's what I said.
Speaker 4: Justify the scissors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a director move. So smart, Jeff McCracken.
Speaker 5: It's a nice heartbag.
Speaker 2: Uh huh. So that in the day.
Speaker 1: You know, I had asked to cut my hair during the hiatus? Can I cut my hair?
Speaker 3: So this was my question, like, how did this come about? I was I'm sure you talked about this on your original breakdown, but I have krry you in. Yes, I didn't want to listen to it. I wanted to come into this.
Speaker 5: It looked like it was so nice that you asked them because there sometimes you've used the stories like Felicity remember like she cut her.
Speaker 3: Hair situation where that was the storyline.
Speaker 5: I heard, uh, oh hot goth, I heard she cut her hair over the summer.
Speaker 2: No, yes, they.
Speaker 5: Were mad and they were like, oh my god, and they were freaking out. I have no nothing to back this up other than I don't know that she.
Speaker 6: Was leased n on Boy Meets World in my first on screen kiss with all the big hair.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 7: So I think the deep background that you guys should probably know before Danielle tells us about this, our show had a hair up session.
Speaker 1: Completession, that's part of the reason episode.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think that part of the reason we were all cast was for our hair at that time. The real like breakout episode of Boy Meets World was the fifth episode that we of the first season where we introduced the character of to Panga, was about Corey straightening his hair and it goes disastrously wrong. And that was based on our executive producer's child that he had actually done that as a kid because he had Corey's hair in real life, and so he cast a bunch of you know, people with big hair. And hair was always a big topic of conversation backstage, how we and whether whether we were allowed to cut our hair. Big conversation, so that.
Speaker 6: Being a kid too want to show you just want to please the adults. So everything we did we asked, Yeah, can we cut our hair? Can I get a tattoo?
Speaker 4: Can I do this? Can I do it right?
Speaker 1: We never thought there was a possibility we could get away with not asking right, right, right, So we I had really wanted to cut my hair. I had only had one haircut in my entire life, and it was when I was two. I had hair down to my butt from the time I was two, and my hair at the end had little ring lit curls, and my mom at one point decided I needed a trim, and they just cut off those ring lit curls and then we never had I never had another haircut until that time. I cut my hair on teat.
Speaker 5: Oh, you must have been so excited.
Speaker 2: I was so excited.
Speaker 1: I was really ready to get rid of it. I felt like I was going to be you know, I wanted to feel like an adult. It was going to be my first adult haircut. And I asked and Michael said, at first, no, absolutely not, no, no, no, and I continued. I persisted, and then he said, okay, at least let me write an episode about it. And I thought, okay, And of course I was a little bummed because here I'm asking in like June, and we don't go back to production until August, so all right, I have to wait, and who knows when in the season it'll be. But then we get pretty early on in the in the season, we get this this haircutting episode.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: And that day, right before I cut, Michael, our executive producer, said to me, show me where, show me where you're planning on cutting, and I was like, here, nope, look longer.
Speaker 2: It needs to be longer.
Speaker 1: And it was an actual negotiation, and there was a lot of stress about whether or not I was going to listen because he knew I had all the power with the scissors in my hands.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, you could just accidentally accidentally.
Speaker 2: Do whatever I want.
Speaker 4: I never crossed your mind though I.
Speaker 7: Was such a rule follower I was now time.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I was like no, and I think I aired on the side of I think. Also, my hairdresser had said to me, if you leave it longer, I can do more with the layers. You know, I need some room to play. So yes, we definitely took it a little a little safe.
Speaker 3: What was the audience reaction to you cutting your hair?
Speaker 2: Big gasp?
Speaker 1: Also, you'll be surprised to know we gave out pieces of my hair.
Speaker 7: Audience.
Speaker 5: No, I'm sorry, Is this the thing that would you give thanks to the audience?
Speaker 1: Yeah, all the time signed scripts, chunks of hair, sure props and.
Speaker 4: Would throw a shirt into the crowd, like you.
Speaker 6: Take would do his dance later and the guys would do a Backstreet Boys dance in front of the crowd for the later seasons, and Ben would always take his shirt off and throw it. It was like a big mocked Backstreet Boys.
Speaker 5: So there was a show behind the show that was like your interactions with the audience.
Speaker 4: We had audience members.
Speaker 6: We had one family we lovingly to their face called the Stalkers, the Sheer family, who came to every episode.
Speaker 7: For sixty six seasons, to the point where.
Speaker 4: We every episode.
Speaker 6: There was one episode where like their grandmother had died and they're like, she wanted us to be here, so they did this one to the point where went to Pangan Kory get married there in the audience of.
Speaker 4: When they get married. Yeah.
Speaker 6: But the other reason we never would have said anything about where we can cut, where we can do is we were had a notorious executive producer.
Speaker 4: Who would fire people a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So the first season of the show, we had their actors just getting dinged.
Speaker 5: Is this the hair guy?
Speaker 4: This is this the hair guy?
Speaker 6: And so we never really felt like we had job security.
Speaker 1: I mean, I was a replacement for someone who had gotten fired that was originally booked from some you know, had a job someone else was.
Speaker 4: The only original one. The rest of us replaced an actor.
Speaker 6: So the idea of like, no, we're going to do something without permission.
Speaker 7: It was always supposed to be Corey and his two best friends. So we had a revolving We called it the death Chair in the Cafeteria because.
Speaker 4: So one day they just literally got same episode.
Speaker 6: They just gave all of the best friends lines to ride her and then they went, Yeah, it was a little crazy, terrifying.
Speaker 1: Another reason we chose this episode is because we have an incredible b story with our friend willcare.
Speaker 2: A good looking detective. Good looking guy.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: One big thing we have learned while rewatching is how you can give Will anything in a script and he's going to make it better than what was ever.
Speaker 2: Whatever was on the page just turned.
Speaker 1: He could turn any simple line into a catchphrase, any simple line into a memorable thing, any scene into something that meeting you know, mildly funny and it's massively funny.
Speaker 2: Do you have people?
Speaker 1: Are you those people from the office who are the cast members that whatever was on the script, you could just guarantee they're going to make it better.
Speaker 3: Oh well, Steve, okay, rain.
Speaker 5: I would say, I think everybody honestly, like I felt like the whole ensemble could like take a line and just like absolutely tear it up right, and there would be table reads where their creed would just destroy all of us. That's true or whoever had that storyline, and you would just be like, oh man, And there was such a creative sort of celebration of those other characters in those moments, and especially as I was number eight on the call sheet, and when you saw your whole like cast, like just take in your moment, and for you it meant so much because you know, you held onto those storylines when you weren't in the a story as much. But but yeah, we had a good we had a deep bench.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, that's a.
Speaker 3: That's a basketball, and we didn't thank you. So we tended over our nine seasons to do the opposite, which was we never fired anyone. We just kept adding people, Like by season nine we had like twenty two cast members.
Speaker 5: We had so many. I always felt so bad for our set pa because she was just like constantly running like where is everyone? We were a lot of a lot of people to keep trying of.
Speaker 1: So, never having seen the show before, you watched this one episode. A lot of fans give us a lot of praise for the show being a good mix of comedy and heart. How do you two feel? Would you ever watch another episode? How did like, did.
Speaker 2: You want to watch more?
Speaker 5: I would?
Speaker 3: I really appreciated this episode and its message. But the scene that got me that is like, just just is your scene with the towny Oh yeah, yeah, I did not know where that was going. And please don't make fun of her, Please don't make fun of her, Please don't make fun of her. And because I'm like, this is a comedy.
Speaker 2: It's a coom where are we going with easy joke?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: And it was so beautiful, like it was just really great and it wasn't It was also your reaction. It was the way your eyes like had this moment of realization where you were like had this compassion and kindness and yet also like, oh boy, like this is I'm sitting across the table from the real world and I'm realizing what I have and oh yeah it was. It was really powerful. I loved it.
Speaker 2: I also loved it and saying her praises when wet.
Speaker 4: It's just like she came in and she did that all week.
Speaker 6: She just kept finding these little moments and by the end we were like, I mean, she you had her whole life right there in.
Speaker 4: That that way.
Speaker 5: And she broke my heart when she was like you your parents help you or she said, and I was like, where is her family?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a great scene.
Speaker 2: Well, one of the things we thought would be fun is to play a little game.
Speaker 5: Oh gosh, okay, since this is your first Boy.
Speaker 1: Meets World episode ever, you know nothing about our characters, pasts or future. So what we're going to do is list our three characters and for each we will give you some multiple choice options and you have to decide which is true as something that does happen to our characters at some point. So does sean A steal Corey's dad's watch to buy tickets to Accounting Crow's concert, only to learn that lying isn't worth it. Straight from lead singer Adam Durvitz's.
Speaker 5: Mouth, I mean, I feel like that's a yes.
Speaker 3: I feels like that yes to me?
Speaker 1: You think that or is it be he joins a cult looking for unconditional acceptance and a sense of purpose. A cult joins a cult, possibly, of course does He sign up for the school's student exchange program and is sent to Denmar, where he meets a new girl and contemplates staying forever.
Speaker 3: So now all three of these actually happened. But I just have to Oh.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 6: Isue, So where do where do I end up?
Speaker 3: So two of these are fake story?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is two truths and a lot or two.
Speaker 5: And wrote them did a really good job.
Speaker 6: I know exactly who wrote them. He does them all the time, and it's his favorite thing in the world. That'd be producer gents and over there this stuff.
Speaker 3: Okay, I think now, I think a is a trick. Okay, I think you're tricking me.
Speaker 5: I also don't know when counting crows was popular.
Speaker 7: It was.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm gonna I'm.
Speaker 2: Going with the cult you're going with?
Speaker 3: Is that too big of a swing?
Speaker 5: I think that's too dark for t g if Okay, cult, really, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think we we want to make colts funny and t g if I can see it.
Speaker 5: I also like the foreign exchange student.
Speaker 3: That's a good one.
Speaker 2: That's a new girl contemplates staying there forever.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but then did they have to build a set for that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm going with c c is the one is the Coral is the I'm so sorry be the cult. I'm going to.
Speaker 2: See, You're going to see all right? Jenna's right, he joins a cult.
Speaker 7: First met girls, and then you know, I find life's purpose. And then my teacher gets into a motorcycle accident and I have a godolog and cry come back into the you know.
Speaker 2: What it is too?
Speaker 3: I knowing you. I think you'd be very funny, and I.
Speaker 6: Think it's very very very dramatic drama drama.
Speaker 7: It is breaking down. It is what season?
Speaker 6: This season right for cult fiction. It's one of our more famous mind cult fiction.
Speaker 5: That's a good title.
Speaker 1: All right does to panga A join a rebellious rock band after feeling too boxed in by her perfect reputation, b find out the great grandmother she believed was a civil rights activist was actually very problematic. Or c get called out for gaining weight after her boyfriend sees the extra pounds and suspects she might be pregnant.
Speaker 5: Good lord with the show, I know what.
Speaker 3: It is, I know what it is. You do it's see. I think it's see.
Speaker 5: Oh that's so sad. I don't like any of my choices. Yeah, I'll go with Jah.
Speaker 2: You're correct.
Speaker 7: Yes, it was.
Speaker 4: Both of us.
Speaker 6: We both put on weight, and the producers called us to the office and said, we're writing an episode how you both got fat.
Speaker 7: We went, okay, that'd be great.
Speaker 5: Believe how little were you at that time?
Speaker 4: I was twenty.
Speaker 2: Sixteen or seventeen?
Speaker 5: Oh good night, it's really funny though.
Speaker 1: Okay, three does eric A believe he's developed psychic abilities after hitting his head and predicting the future like sneezing out? Lotterinumse B become a very popular life coach after motivating Corey's mom to take her real estate test or See open a pizza shop in Philadelphia called Crust the Process.
Speaker 3: This is too Definitely, this is the hardest one.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is the hardest, the hardest one.
Speaker 3: I could see you doing all of them.
Speaker 5: You're my favorite. One of my favorite lines of yours in this episode is which you were like, I'm gonna go out get a job at night in a row.
Speaker 3: At night.
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, what is the.
Speaker 3: You know what?
Speaker 5: I what's the name of the Pizza place again.
Speaker 2: Crust the process, my man, I'm going I'm going a.
Speaker 1: You're going a believe he's developed psychic abilities after hitting his head and predicting the future like sneezing out lottery.
Speaker 3: I think the sneezing out lottery numbers happened.
Speaker 5: Okay, if that sounds so messy, I'm gonna go. I'm gonna go Crust, the Crust Place, the process, the process.
Speaker 2: Jenna is and you know this show.
Speaker 3: I feel like I got I have my finger on the poll.
Speaker 5: I have no idea, I am all the place.
Speaker 2: Well, before we.
Speaker 1: Wrap up our little rewind episode, do you have any other questions for us about the episode?
Speaker 5: We do? Okay, all right, where do you want to bring up?
Speaker 3: Here?
Speaker 5: Lady?
Speaker 3: I have a really silly question. We've sort of gone past this moment, but I wanted to know how long did the audience have to wait while you got your hair even out?
Speaker 2: So they didn't have to wait? Pre shot such a practical question.
Speaker 1: We pre shot on Wednesday, so our tape days we started our week started on Fridays and then we had the live studio audience on Thursday. So Wednesday we pre taped my haircut episode, the haircut scene, I had to go.
Speaker 7: Home because remember we had a weddy audience.
Speaker 2: We did audience.
Speaker 7: For Wednesday for big moments to all audience.
Speaker 1: So we could have the audible gasp and all that, so we couldn't have an audience there, and then that audience got let go.
Speaker 2: I went home that night.
Speaker 1: I remember going to Ruby's diner with my family with my mismatched haircut, and then Thursday came in. Got my haircut Thursday morning, and there was some stuff we had to do with me with the uneven hair first. Then in between the pre tape of Thursday and the audience show, I got my full haircut.
Speaker 5: Nice.
Speaker 6: I didn't hear anything after Rubies. How good were those burgers?
Speaker 2: So good? Milkshakes?
Speaker 5: Well, I have two things. One, I worked with Don Marrera, so I thought that was so great. The minute he came on the screen.
Speaker 7: I was like, Oh my gosh, isn't he the best?
Speaker 5: He's the best. He directed a sketch comedy show I did called Hot Towel. Oh I love that. And then I have to tell you my favorite line of the whole episode. Yes please this outfit with this hair he hello, bye bye. I am so at them all. I want to like say, I want like my daughter, and I just start saying that now because it's so good.
Speaker 1: People will love you for it. They'll know what it's from. It's a it's a famous line.
Speaker 5: It's a famous line. And then I just love the little touches Jenna and I always love a background catch, and I love what they wrote under your pictures in the yearbook. Then wait, wait, there's enough for everybody.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, this was so incredibly fun. If you've enjoyed part one of the collaboration you never saw coming between Office Ladies and Pod Meets World, then you will definitely enjoy part two. In part one, we talked about boy meets World. In part two we talk about the office. So if you want to listen to part two, you're gonna have to head over to Office Ladies feed and listen to that on June eleventh. Pod Meets World is an iHeart podcast produced and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfridell and Ryder Strong. Executive producers Jensen Carp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, Producer and editor Tara sudbachsch producer, Maddy Moore, engineer and Boy Meets World super fan Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon. Follow us on Instagram at Pod Meets World Show or email us at Podmeets Worldshow at gmail dot com