Speaker 1: Hey, hey, hey, I thought I'd start off with a little sexy. Hey, it's me tipp Day by Daday's and this is Brown Ambition.
Speaker 2: Hey, Mandra, So you started sexy and how was that ending?
Speaker 1: What were we doing? Ended? Wild and crazy? Because you know, I can't say sexy long?
Speaker 2: How's it going? Happy Brand Ambition Wednesday?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm super excited because next week it's my birthday and I'm turning the big Bote. Isn't that crazy?
Speaker 2: I told you know, I had lunch with our Oh, I sorry, I had breakfast this morning with our buddy, Sharon Epperson from CNEC. You guys got to go back and listen to our episode with Sharon, our interview with her. She a few years ago had a break and aneurysm and bounced back and uh has so much. Has such an interesting story of how her brain aneurysm kind of changed the trajectory of her career at CNBC. Anyway, mentioned to sharing we were talking about you, of course, that you're returning the Big four to zero, and the first thing she said is God, I love Melanin like, because she was like, I would never guess that Tiffany was forty.
Speaker 1: I know, I'm not gonna lie. I would never guess that I'm forty either. It feels so old. But honestly I don't feel so you know, I guess that counts for something. Yeah, yeah, I'm actually excited about would you say forty is the new thirty, right? Yeah, Honestly, I feel I feel good because I I have to reflect on, like my life. I kind of feel like that the things that I sat out to accomplished as far as professionally, and the only things really that I'm like really working on moving forward is I feel like my personal life, like I want to build deeper relationships and I want to be a better person those kind of things like I I mean, of course I've got like world domination through the budget hay stuff, but I feel like that's going to happen either way. But really I really want to work on being a better person and work all that aspect of my life. That's my little reflective turning forty south.
Speaker 2: And just yeah, and don't forget to look. I mean, it's a nice time to reflect on all your accomplishments too. Mm hm, it's not necessarily I mean speaking, I don't know, I'll probably I mean it's probably like a bunch of different emotions mixed into one. Yeah, where you are not sure where you're going blah blah blah. I can only imagine, and it.
Speaker 1: Depends where because I you know, it's so crazy because my thirtieth birthday, when I was turning thirty, that's when I just moved home and I was sleeping in my middle school bed. So it's been a it's been a crazy rod. I'm like, wow, last Big Moments's birthday was quite a different situation to circumstance. I was literally like it was like turning thirty and my dad was like, make sure you're home by midnight. That's to curfew. And I was like, wait, what So we come a long way, baby, I think you no more midnight curfew, grown woman.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: But I'm honestly, I'm really excited because this week this past weekend, I took the Unicorn Squad. That's the name of my team, and we call them Unicorns because I say they make magic happen every day. It was eighteen of us, so myself, my business partner Jabrill, and I. It was really his idea. To give him credit that last year was the first time that we took everyone away on kind of like a family vacation, and this was our second year. Mandy. It was so much fun. You would not think that, like because it's literally Jabrill and seventeen women no drama know nothing. When I tell you fun, and I love that. I mean I don't think I laughed more or danced more. It was like summer camp for grown women, and Jabrill.
Speaker 2: I have just as much Filmo for that as I do for Tyler Perry's Atlanta studio opening.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was.
Speaker 2: It's just really looked like amazing weekends.
Speaker 1: Well because you know, the team looked We work largely remotely, so it's like the question always comes up, like how do you keep you know, like you get to see your team regularly, so like you can build relationships, you know, like these kind of intimate relationships. But it's it can be difficult when it's when everybody works all around the world. Like Natalie Watsi Zaka that's her name, she lives in Israel. Jabrill doesn't live anywhere. He just goes from place to place. Although he doesn't he lives in Opland now, but like it's never there.
Speaker 3: Karen is in at least that he's yes, Yeah, he's just like I mean, he literally lives places for like three months stints and then like uh, Logan lives in DC, Karen lives in Atlanta and lives in Philly.
Speaker 1: So everybody lives all these different places and yeah, and so to get together and to meet people and to hug them, like, well, I have to say, Sylvia lives in Arkansas because she's like no one ever managins Arkansas, and so it's just nice to like hug on them. And we did. We we got a private chef, and we we rented we're air and b Airbnb houses. We had we bought like when I bought, but we rented some cars to take us around. We did the escape room, We had a barbecue. We went to Scott Scott Stales I called Arizona.
Speaker 2: Oh, Arizona, Okay, And it was beautiful.
Speaker 1: So we definitely had to go to a beautiful spot. So we found like this five stars, dime five diamond, not even star five diamond spot. It was the best bout any of us I'd ever been to. So honestly, it was such a good time. It was Yeah, it was three nights, four days, and we just really enjoyed, Like my sister got to come for the first time because she's been on the team. We say, people asked how were we able to like afford and so what we did was we saved two percent of our gross income from the companies and we stashed it in the savings account and then that's our budget. And actually we kind of came in under budget. I think I want to say we had like forty something thousand saves, and I think we say we spent thirty nine thousands. So we played for flights, accommodations, even the car, your lift or you're whatever from the house to the airport and back again. Even that we pay for everything. I don't want you to pay for anything. This is just the time to enjoy. And so this is the second year we came on the budget last year. We came on the budget this year, so I was like proud of that that like, yeah, I would say probably cost around forty thousand dollars for about twenty of us. We even got a videographer to kind of like document like our weekend together. So the Unicorn squad, it's like we're all amped up and everybody's extra and rejuvenated and so yeah, I would honestly love to hear from the listeners like, what's something that your employer has done that just made you like super happy and geeked because I'm always trying to be a better leader and a better employer, so that way people are super happy to work with that.
Speaker 2: I think you're on the right track. I wouldn't worry. I don't think anyone out there can talk and all expense, all expenses paid girlfriend's weekend with a spa and a videographer, what private chef? What s got to here? Just looking for ways to improve all the amazingness that's already you know.
Speaker 1: And it's because, first of all, like I forgot, I never really told the team. I know, y'all listen to listen, but her a little snitche behind hey, Adelie, So she she listened to the podcast regularly, and she was telling the team that's what you get all the tea about the company, guys. That's how I found out that Timpany let go the admint after one day. And then she had everyone listen and I'm looking like, really, oh man, I know, and they were like, oh, Timpany, you savage. I'm like, no, I'm not savage, but they were like, you know what, that it was best for the team, and they kind of gave me some feedback up some interactions they had with with the admin, and so, I mean, it's just still we know we made the right choice. But it's just funny that she listens to the podcast for Tea Tea on the business.
Speaker 2: That's just smart. That's a smart that's a smart employee. Right, well, that's amazing. I was just joking about Tyler Perry, but I was, you know, I'm from Atlanta, and it felt like literally everybody I've ever known much invited to this Tyler Perry party, and of course everyone I didn't know the clip showed up. I'm like, the only people who did not show up were the Obamas, is what it felt like. I don't know what they were doing, but it was like every I mean, all of the black power in America was in Atlanta for this studio opening.
Speaker 1: Honestly, it's that amazing what he's been able to do. And did you know that the studio like this, it's bigger than what is it Disney Warner Brothers? Is something all the major studios combined. Isn't that crazy?
Speaker 2: I did not I did not know that. I did watch. I watched Ava Duvernet stories, and they do like a trolley tour of the whole studio. I mean, they legit built the freaking white house, like the front and the back of it, and they have a whole neighborhood on his studio. Like and you know, Tayler Perry gets a lot of crap for the films and the quality of them and what are they really doing for the culture and blah blah blah. But I'm just saying, man, when a man can be that successful, a black man can be as successful as all the mediocre white people producing, Like come on, like, we don't all need to be oscar makers, Like when we have the right to be hella successful, hella rich, have big ass studios, do what we want to do and put out work that's not always going to be like the creme de la creme. That is when I feel like we've made some progress, right, I mean, so let him make his media movies. And you know, obviously his content does appeal to his audience, and he knows his audience as well, so I give him nothing but respect. And it seemed like a really beautiful inspirational, you know weekend. So good for him and good for Atlanta. Like yeah, all that all that money from Hollywood moving into Atlanta. It makes me feel good to know that we've got like this is history. This is the first black owned studio like on this scale in the country and it's in Atlanta. So go shut out to my hometown. Why did you get so cool it?
Speaker 1: I know, well, and that has been cool for a while now, you know, because first of all, Atlanta got a man named gotta gotta mayor named Keisha. There's like a rap song that has that in its what And I love that Because I was watching this documentary that Prudential has Legacy lives on. It's the one that I'm a part of. And they asked Keisha long Bottom, like, what's your favorite what's your favorite line of Atlanta? And she said, besides, Atlanta got a mayor named Keisha, And I just love that, Like Keisha, Okay, I don't know if there's a blacker name and I love it, but yeah, it just it was very I'm so glad that Ever kind of showed like the tour because I was blown away. I was like, that was actually gonna be my brown booth saying thanks man, driving what apps together? Yeah? No, it just yeah, it looked amazing. I was like, wow, you know what, I think the biggest takeaway and actually had me thinking maybe we could talk about this like between us, like what like he said that what he wanted people to take away is that to dream bigger. What is your wildest probably not gonna happen, but you know, wildest dream you get think of. And I was thinking to myself, like, what would that be for me? My wildest, kookiest yeah, right dream?
Speaker 2: You know, are you gonna share?
Speaker 1: I think?
Speaker 2: Are you just neule?
Speaker 1: No? You well, I think like, I mean, there's a bunch of different things, but one one of them would be to like have like a billion dollar business, and honestly not the one that you would think, not the budget Nesta, but through Molly Moore, my children's book, like I could totally see her, you know, being a TV show, being like a standalone character, being something that like, you know, fifty years from now, when I'm not here anymore, well or I'm ninety, so I am going to be here. But fifty years from now, people like kids are still talking about Molly Moore, the character the way they talk about like I don't know, the smirks or something. That would be my biggest wildest like Kookie is like that, Like I have, I grew Molly Moore and the brand to this billion dollar brand that includes like merchandise and bedspreads and and sneakers and book bags and TV shows and computer programs and all that kind of stuff. You know. Also that would be crazy to me. But yeah, that's probably my biggest dream.
Speaker 2: I mean, she could be the next Doc mcstuffans.
Speaker 1: Yes, I really like I could. I could feel that. Like honestly, I feel like my temple is Dora. You know. You know I did a little digging and research and found that Dora, the worth of Dora the brand is seven billion dollars with a big and I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, she just got a whole new movie, like a whole movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what made So that would be my biggest dream. What about you, what would be your biggest wildist craziest.
Speaker 2: I just don't I don't even know. I've always dreamed about being a Broadway playwright, which sounds like the douchiest thing to ever dream about, but I don't care. I've dreamt about it. That's what I've always wanted to, like write a play, get a play produced, and I in and of itself that feat forget about awards or successful, but just like getting a play and and and like selling tickets and people showing up for it. That is my current fantasy. But I'm sitting here wanting. I'm sitting here like, yeah, you can definitely make molly more a billion dollar business. But in my head, I'm like, Brol, You're never gonna red play like, You're never gonna be like you know how you like you lift up your friends and then you just like crap on you.
Speaker 1: You're such a good writer. I mean, I don't live that's so crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let me tell me it's not crazy because in my head, I'm just it's something that I wanted to do. And then I it's it's honestly that saying that you're afraid to even say out loud because you Yeah, it's just it's a it's a forbidden dream.
Speaker 1: No. At first, I think one is such an old writer too. You've got such discipline. I mean, I remember you came to remember four years ago, you know, you courted me at in New Orleans at thinkn like you want to do a podcast, and now look I'm freaking getting stopped in the street, not about Budgetista, but like love your podcast. I'm like, what, okay, I mean men and women. I'm like, look at the Jamal's out there secretly listening. No, but I just think that, yeah, like you you know, this was a dream that you had. You didn't even know, like like what do we use? What material? Like, how do we edit? How do we look? You figured it out and now we're freaking rocking and rolling, So I don't think.
Speaker 2: It's I know, No, You're right, I mean that, and I am really I'm super proud of the podcast. I'm really proud, but like this is us, you know, to do a play that's all me, and it's just it's like it's scarier because it really is all you on your own, just doing something, and the act of anyone who's a writer or just writing a book or writing fiction. I mean it is. It's just it's tortuous and I don't know why we but it's also so rewarding to just finish a body of work. So I'd be so proud if I could, if I could do that, and I and I you know, I'm not to be corny, but I think about I I feel like there's extra pressure now that I'm having a kid to not let this be it, you know, Like I want and I want several chapters after child. I want to have like a couple of different careers after I have a kid, and keep producing, keep creating, keep reinventing myself, and have interesting things happen in my life, you know, so that my kid will be excited about what's going on in my life, you know what I mean, Like, Yeah, I don't want it to be and she had a kid period. I want there to be multiple chapters after that. And there's no excuse why there shouldn't be. It's just, yeah, it's it's a little daunting to think about, that's all.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, But honestly, you can do it. If anybody could do it, Mandy, you're like a force. Many'd be like, let there be podcast okay, And they were like, and there was podcasts and it was good.
Speaker 2: Oh thank you, I am the god of podcast You're right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, honestly, I would love, honestly to hear from our listeners, like, let's follow in the theme of Tyler Perry, what is your big, audacious, crazy yeah, right, once in a lifetime goal dream Like, I think part of the to be one of the hardest parts is just to say it out loud. So tweet it to us, send it to us on IG, message us in the email, like I would really love and maybe we'll share some of them, because I think there's something powerful in writing the thing and then speaking the thing and someone else is speaking the thing. So let's do that. What's your biggest craziest Like, Yo, if I could do this, this is what it would be. But there's no way, there's no way, but say it and we'll share some of them. How about that?
Speaker 2: That sounds good. You know you're on the right track if you got sweenty like I did when you started talking about it. Oh, maybe it's the horrimone. I don't know.
Speaker 1: These are our questions you guys already. No, I don't know the words. So you can keep your messages to yourself every every podcast without fail. Soone said Tippany, we're gonna learn these learn these lyrics. The answer is never, Just like I'm not gonna never gonna remember all the handles or the email. My brain has already said tap tap, I'm out all.
Speaker 2: Right, I got you there, I got you there. If you guys would like to submit a question to the podcast, you can hit us up at Brand Ambition Podcast on Instagram, send us the DM, or you can hit us up by email Brand Ambition Podcast at gmail dot com, or check out our website brandambision podcast dot com and click ask us anything and ask us anything. All right, I have dug through. We had so many good questions on the Instagram you guys sent in probably I don't know a few dozen questions over the past week. So I'm going to parse through and pick a couple of month favorites. Let's start with one from listener. Do they want to be anonymous? Okay, we'll just say their name is Olivia. So Olivia wants to know how can she build credit in college without taking out a bunch of credit cards. So here's her question. Hey, y'all, I'm a senior on track to graduate from university in December. My problem is that I have a really low credit score, but I don't know how I can raise it. I've tried to apply for numerous credit cards in the past, student credit cards, secured cards, and otherwise, but I've always been denied. I do have some student loan debt about ten thousand dollars, so I'm guessing that that's why my score is so low. I want to attend law school next fall, and I'd really like to get my score up so I can establish credit and raise my score. But how can I do that if I keep getting it denied? For credit cards? Interesting question?
Speaker 1: So to be clear, is she applying for regular credit card or has she applied for a secured card?
Speaker 2: She said a secured card and a student credit card, and she's been denied every time. Really, isn't that surprising? Shit? I wonder if she's gone to a credit union, because I mean secured cards, even if your credits low, that's what they're made for. I mean, you you literally put money down on the card and then you pay them off over time. But of course you put down the deposit, so there's very little for the bank to lose. That's why they're such good credit bolder tools.
Speaker 1: Well, honestly, I would also look into them forget them. I would look into self well all themselves self now not self lender, So I wonder, wait, what's their website? Then? If it's like not self lender, self lender. So the way well, it was called the company formerly known as self lender. I don't know companies be changed up their names these days. Oh it's self think. I guess that's their website now, yeap, that's what it is, self ink dot com, I n C. So what I like about self lender or self is that you do a full borrow. And so the way it works is that you go to self you say yes, I want to I want to borrow money. And the good thing is they don't lend you money based upon your credit score. They lend you money based upon like your oh what is that thing? Uh? Oh, mandy, Like help me with the word that you know. Like, let's just say you don't pay a bank back or you over you after you don't pay the back, and then they tell on you and they put you on checkbooks though quick checks.
Speaker 2: Oh check systems.
Speaker 1: Check systems, I said, check books quick you know I am legitimately eighty out there. So self lender looks at check systems basically as long as you don't have any outstanding like beef with another bank. And so the way it works is the reason why they used to call themselves self lender. Is them, you don't really get the money. I always suggest to people that you borrow the lowest amount, which is I think five hundred dollars, and they say, hey, what's the name we gave.
Speaker 2: Her, Olivia? Olivia.
Speaker 1: Hey, Olivia, here's your five hundred dollars. Side, we're actually going to keep it and put it in a money market fund for you. But you're going to pay us back every month for a year until you pay out the five hundred dollars and so and the money that five hundred dollars, we're going to put it into an account. It's going to earn a little interest, not much, but whatever. And then you're going to pay every month, which is I think it's like forty something dollars a month, don't quote me on that, but whatever it is a month, you'll pay it. And so they will report to the credit Bureaus Olivia has not only paid a debt monthly on time, she paid it off in full at the end of the year. And then you get your five hundred dollars back, because remember you never got the original five hundred dollars loan. And so that is a great way if you've been locked out of the credits kind of like market. That's why Self came up with that solution. But Self is not the only company that does that. A lot of credit unions they just call a credit builder loan. So you can look at your credit union if you have one, if they have a credit builder loan, or if they don't. I like Self, I've been suggesting them for the last few years and I've never really heard any negative feedback about them. I think they're a great company, so I would start there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good idea. Another idea is to become an authorized user, Like if you if your parents have good credit and they're willing to add you as an authorized user on their credit what of their credit cards. Make sure that the credit card reports your authorized user behavior activity to the credit bureaus. Most of them do, but some of them don't, so double check that. And that's one way that you can also build credit. Again, you want to be sure that you know you're hitching your horse to hitching your I don't know, I'm going to mess up that analogy anyway. Just name sure it's the right move for you first, and that your parents and you are in the same page, and that you have you know boundaries and ground rules for how you use the credit card. And also if you're going to be you know, thinking about law school, you know, when you graduate in those that ten thousand dollars where the student loans come due, as long as you don't miss your first payment. You know, it's easy to miss your first payment because you think, oh, I've got six months, and those six months fly by and you forget about that payment hitting your account, and then you end up, you know, starting off on the wrong foot. Once you start making payments on your student loans, that should also improve your credit moving forward, making those payments each month, and a credit a student loans a type of installment debt, which just means that it's one blump sum and then you pay it off and fixed payments each month, kind of like a mortgage or an auto loan. And that can also improve your mix of credit. If you let's say you get a self leunder account or you get added as an authorized user on a credit card, and you also have a positive installment loan payment history, like with your student loan, that will together start building your credit slowly over time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's really good, because you're right, because installment because self lender is going to be an installment loan, so eventually what it will help is I just can't believe you got denied from Uh, yeah, that doesn't happen very I mean, it does happen, it doesn't happen very often. So maybe once you get like one of these credit builder loans into the mix, you can try again to see and usually when you get denied, they're supposed to send you something in the mail for why you got denied. So I definitely would would request wherever you made the request to, I would ask, you know, you know, am I going to receive something to share, like why I was denied? Like, oh, remember update, remember Mandy when I said I tried to get like an increase to my credit card and they denied me. So it turned out they had recently given me an increase, because they sent me a letter in the mail saying, hey, you were denied because you recently had an increase. And I was like, oh, whatever, I guess okay, yeah, so and I kind of remember that, I vaguely remember, Okay, I do remember whatever, so but it was good to know. So usually when you're denied credit, they'll send you something in the mail to say why so that I would be very interested to know.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, thank you Olivia for your question. Let's see, let's do another question from Instagram a user whose name doesn't make any sense, so I'm going to call her Greta. Sorry and ad fancy Greta. All right, she says, hello, ladies, thank you for a beautiful podcast filled with precious jewels. Uh here's my question. What would be the best way to tackle debt? If my husband and I have forty thousand dollars worth of debt from credit cards, student loans, and personal loans, should we consolidate our debt or try using a method like the snowball method for more information. We're both students, we have full time jobs and a mortgage, but we're struggling to save money while trying to pay off debt questions. So, just to recap forty dollars in total that consists of credit cards, student loans, and personal loans. Interesting mass, and they're wondering how to tackle it. And that's collectively, that's collectively together.
Speaker 1: Yep, I'm not gonna lie. That's not that bad. I'm not saying that we could say that.
Speaker 2: What I was thinking like y'all can do this. You got this, Yes, you got this. We'll take each of those three types. We don't know how much it's credit cards, how much is student loans, or we don't know what the interest rates are, so it's a little bit difficult to give specific advice. But where would you where would you say start.
Speaker 1: To Well, I would, I personally like the snowball methods. I'm a little biased, and the snowball method is just kind of when you line up your debt from lowest to the highest as far as balances are concerned, and then you start to tackle the debt with the lowest balance first. So basically the other two debts get their minimum and the debt with the lowest balance gets its minimum plus whatever extra money you could pull from your from your budget. So you should have a budget and say, hey, budget, this is how much my life costs. How much is left over after I pay my expenses? Oh, there's two hundred dollars left over, And then you can might decide one hundred dollars is gonna go to saving, because you should be saving and paying down debts simultaneously, so maybe one hundred dollars goes to savings. And another hundred goes to my debt paydown plan. So now you have your debt paid down plan money. And if you're gonna do the snowball method, it would look like this, Hey, lowest balance debt, You're gonna get your minimum plus this one hundred dollars, and now I'm gonna pay it, pay pay, pay pay and pay pay it. And then when that's paid off, I'm gonna roll over the lowest debts minimum plus that one hundred dollars to the second lowest debt. So the second lowest det is gonna get effectively three payments in one. It's minimum the first lowest debts minimum plus that hundred dollars, and then you're gonna pay pay pay pay pay it pay paid off, and then you're gonna roll it off to the third lowest debt. And so that's the way the snowball method works. Or you can use the add into method, which is when you pay off the debt with the highest interest rate off first. And so the avalance method makes the most sense as far as mathematically, because you're basically paying off the debt that has that's costing you the most amount of money because the interest rate is the highest, and the snowball method makes the most sense emotionally because if you pay off the debt with the lowest balance first, you kind of get a faster return emotional return on your investment, because it might take you ten years to pay off the debt with the highest interest rate, and so you might not feel as good about it. So I like the snowball method, although the obviously that oline method is amazing if you can stick with it. So yeah, I think that I think that that's what I would do. I would line it up like that, Honestly, I.
Speaker 2: Would look at the I feel like I have a feeling. Out of all three of those types of debt that you have, the credit cards probably have the highest interest rates. So I'm a fan, I mean, And that's kind of looking at things with the avalanche method in mind versus a snowball. But if you wanted to quick, you know, especially if you're kind of struggling, and let's say he's got some credit cards, You've got some credit cards, and you want a simple way to just keep track of everything in one place, you could look into consolidating those credit cards with a personal loan, for example, from a credit union. If it means that you could secure a lower interest rate than what you're currently paying on those credit cards, because we know how difficult it can be to pay down credit card debt, and when it's got you know, what is the average APR in credit cards, and thing like seventeen percent that's with like perfect credit today.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I could look at I know it's this crazy.
Speaker 2: You could look at consolidating those credit cards just so you have one fixed monthly payment, which is what you get with a personal loan, and then you can both tackle that payment together. And of course when you're applying for a personal loan, they're going to take into account how much you can afford to pay, so your monthly payment shouldn't be more shouldn't end up being more than what you guys can comfortably afford with your student loans. If you're both still still in school, then maybe they aren't quite due yet, so they're not an immediate concern, but you definitely want to. I would focus on getting rid of that other types of debt, the credit card, the personal loans before you guys graduate, so that when you graduate, you can just throw everything you got at those student loans. If the student loans are an issue now. You know, if they're federal, there's things you can do, income based repayment, for bearers, deferment while you focus on your higher interest debt like credit cards or personal loans to buy yourself some time. But eventually you got to tackle them right and even if you defer them, interest is going to still be accruing, So you want to aggressively as fast as you can get rid of the other debt and then hop on those student loans. If they're private, you can look into well, if you've got them, you know, pretty high interest rate in your student loans and you think you're interested in looking at refinancing. That's also an option. If you guys have strong credit scores. There's lots of companies out there that will refinance your student loan debt today, which will help you secure a lower interest rate and maybe reduce your payments and help you pay it off faster. But just keep in mind, if you have federal student loans and you're refinancing them, you're essentially turning them into a private loan, which means those flexible options I mentioned earlier, like income based repayment or forbearance are probably no longer available to you, so it has to be worth that trade off for you to refinance them and turn them into private loans.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and to me, it rarely is worth it, so you know. So, I mean there's companies like so far that I that are great companies for refinancing for private loans, but I always tell people, if you can keep them federal, it typically is worth it, just because if you ever fall on hard times, private loans don't care, but loans, but federal loans, there are things in place that you know that you can use to protect yourself if you fall on hard times, and it's much easier to default on a private loan, like a veteral loan is harder to default. And so yeah, so I mean it's except for like maybe rare instances, it's almost always best to stay federal if you can.
Speaker 2: That's true. But like we both said, forty k between the two of you, guys, if you've got you know, you're working. You said, you have full time jobs, you're wanting to pay it off. You just need a good strategy that works for both of you. So if it sounds like you need what Tiffany said, the snowball method, which snowball method is excellent. I mean a study actually showed that people were more likely to keep up their good debt payoff habits with the snowball method, even though technically it's not the most mathematically logical method between avalanche, because with avalanche, you're paying off the highest cost debt first, so you save money over time. But the snowball method with people would stick with it longer because it builds that momentum. It's so exciting when you pay off that twenty five dollars ballance, in the one hundred dollars ballance, in the two hundred dollars balance, and you start you start embedding those habits that bring you success later with those early wins and building momentum. And that's why people are so obsessed. And the snowball method continues to be, you know, one of the most popular debt payoff methods out there.
Speaker 1: Well, now it's time to boost their break with the Brown Ambish family. Will you boost? Will you break? What will you do? Many? I wish you could see me like you. Literally, I have my arms out and I'm like just I'm feeling it. I'm bibing. I'm good. I love how the song always makes me go first. It's fine, although Tiffany would also rhyme.
Speaker 2: May yeah, you know what, I never.
Speaker 1: Realized that it does make you go.
Speaker 2: I'm ready. I'm always ready, though, always ready.
Speaker 1: And I'm ready. I'm ready, I'm Do you want me to go first?
Speaker 2: I can go for no, no, no, I got it. I just I'm struggling because I don't know whether it's a boost or a break. You guys can help me decide. But I read this article about if do you use Reddit, Tiffany or your redditor?
Speaker 1: No, not much. I mean I've heard of it.
Speaker 2: But my husband's a huge redditor. He gets tons of advice on Like there's a subreddit. So it's basically like if you have a passion or a hobby or interest, there is a Reddit group for you. There's a personal finance reddit, there's you know, all just just dozens hundreds probably of different forms where you can ask questions and you get comments. People can vote up or down your comment, and it's kind of like you collect clout on Reddit that way. But it's this whole just people, It's just it's this whole movement and my husband loves it for home improvement questions and all kinds of stuff. But there's there's this there's this general kind of of course trend with Reddit where most of the users, they don't do like a census of their user base, but most of the users it does feel very white, very male on Reddit. But there are subreddits that target or not target, but are meant to be like groups where people of color can talk about whatever they're interested in. So there's one group called Black People Twitter and it's basically meant to be a safe space for black Reddit users to talk about whatever's happening in the news. Whatever people are ranting about on Twitter, but you know, what's happening in the news, the biggest trends, whatever. But the moderators of this forum have realized that a lot of white people apparently, and it's hard for them to tell, but they suspected that a lot of white users were posing as black users and commenting on various topics on the black Twitter on the black Twitter People subreddit forum. So imagine if this was like a Facebook group for people of color and you had white people contributing commentary. Okay, not really the intention of the group. So these moderators, you know, it's an anonymous forum, people don't put their faces as their profiles. It's not like Facebook. You're meant to be anonymous. That's that's part of the appeal of Reddit. So what they decided to do is ask their users to submit a photo of their forearm with their Reddit with their Reddit name written on their forearm, with a timestamp to verify that it was taken recently. To verify their blackness.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, not everybody even that's not even how we like. I know plenty of light skin black folks that you would not know that black is not just color.
Speaker 2: Right, So it's such a But on the other hand, it's like I was reading it, and that's why I feel conflicted, Like I think the way they went about it is problematic for the reason you just mentioned. I mean, I'm mixed, right, So if my forearm is I don't know, I'm pretty pale, it's like my summer tan is gone. I've already part where they catch you, right, I've already had to change my foundation by two shades. I had my winter foundation my summer foundation. So what was happening is some of the users were like, well, screw it, I don't want to be anonymous. I'm going to take a picture with all my family so you can see I have a black dad or a black cousin, dark skinned cousin, dark skinned dad, whatever, And even though I'm light skin, here's my family. And it's like, it's just it's created this. It's I think they meant well, but the way they executed it is super problematic. On the other hand, I see the challenge like and and you know, knowing Reddit and knowing what the Reddit world is, like, I feel like there's there needs to be a safe space for black Reddit users to talk about what they want to talk about and to comment and this, you know, but to feel like people are posing as black people and contributing, and they're contributing comments that are proliferating stereotypes, you know, saying things like well do we really need affirmative action like things like that, you know, come on controls, you know. But it's just like it's the challenge with Reddit because they let they let excuse me, they let users of these forums moderate them, and there's not really a system to to to control who can join. It's meant to be so open when you're trying to have a private discussion what can you do? So I just thought it was a very interesting story. I don't really know how to feel about it, but that's what I wanted to share.
Speaker 1: Wow, yeah, I that's it is hard because how one it's it's almost like this one drop buol, like what does black even mean? Now? We have to you have to figure that out. Yeah.
Speaker 2: One of one of the leaders or one of the users was like, well, I took a DNA test and I'm my my mom is zero point five percent Ghanian. So does that mean I can join? Like every white person has a little bit of black in them and persactly you know what I mean. So that's what they're saying. So you're right, it is it's what is that? What is that line?
Speaker 1: So we had that problem a little bit with a DreamCatcher group on Facebook because dream Catchers are largely African American women and we don't but we don't turn anyone away, so we you know, we we started to get like white women come in and for honestly, for the most part, no problem. They were respectful, and you know, sometimes they were come in and realize like, oh okay, there's a lot of black women in here. Am I allowed? And I'm like, yeah, as long as you don't act up a child, you could stay, and so and so. But then we started getting started to get white men and so so we were getting First it started with black men, and you know, it was okay because you know, men could be a lot, so you're like, all right, don't act to up, you can stay. And then we start to get white women, and honestly, like, we have less trouble with white women that we have with black men. So and then white men came. And when I tell you the trouble if I see what more Trump posted, we had to make a role, which sounds so crazy, no white men because they were coming and stirring the pot, saying outrageous and egregious things, and no other no one else was doing that. Like, yes, you definitely would get like some folks, like you know, I would say, as far as a large majority, So of course you get people who sometimes can be mean or nasty or whatever. But when I tell you, we would add a white man unfortunately, and and it was like without fail, it would take off. Well, maybe if you get off welfare, you're like, why are you here? You know, like not white men in general, but just like you in particular, sir, why are you here if you're gonna spew nastiness? You know, this is not a You're not required to be a dream catcher. And so we had to make a rule because it started to feel unsafe, and I was trying to be fair, and I was trying to be like, well, you know, we don't turn anyone away. Well, no, we turn away, we turn away. It sounds so terrible, and I don't care because I started dream Catchers in the budget needs to create a safe space for women, especially women of color. And you are welcome to come unless you bring the bullshit, then you are not welcome to come. And so that is like one group that we don't allow them in the dream Catcher for anymore, because it was too hard to keep up with the handful that maybe weren't causing trouble. And I'm like, you know what, every space in the world is safe for you, every space. It's your space. This is one of the few spaces that we get to have. And everyone else respects this space. The black men respect the pace, space, white women respect the space. Everybody else was respecting the space, but except for that subgroup. So yeah, so we made we had to make that defitit of ruin. I'm sure that's going to come back to bite me in the butt. Okay, be mad, Todd. I don't care because it's hard enough out here to like post you know that you're struggling financially and you're trying to figure out, like what to do with your kids without someone coming along saying maybe you stop having so many kids. You're like, are you kidding me? Yeah, that's the exactly what was.
Speaker 2: Going on in this in this reddit. So that's a perfect example. So you're dealing with it too. But at least you can see the faces you know, generally with your users. With Reddit, it's just so difficult because the whole point of it is that people don't share their their identities. They're anonymous, they have weird names and weird photos. But and I'm glad it's it's a really interesting conversation to have. And you're right, it's so hard to say it in the right way, but you just have to say it. The space is really not meant for certain people. It's meant to be a safe space for a marginalized group, and it's and and when so of course your first loyalty is to your audience, the people you made the group for, and you need to make you need to continue to make it a safe space for them and buy And we can call it discriminating or whatever or keeping out certain people, You're doing it with the right intention. It's not to it's not to deny people their right to for free speech. It is to make it a safe space and the people that you intended the group for in the first place. And I think that's what these people are doing as well. But it's just super problematic. Yeah, it's hard taking it.
Speaker 1: And it's hard because even saying it, I'm like, oh, because somebody can make the argument for keeping black folks out, well, this is a safe space for us, you know, And so yeah, so I mean, so I'm dynomians who I think I had the perfect solution, but I do know so many women came to me and like message me, They're like, honestly, I don't feel safe here. I don't feel like I can share like I used to. And I was like, that's not We're not doing that, and so like I just you know, I was like, we're gonna make an execute decision whatever, and make that choice and honestly, it's been so much better as a result, because for the most part, everyone else polices themselves. Like I said, we have a few playerups here and there, but for the most part, everyone is kind to everyone in there. And yeah, so my well, my boost was gonna be Tyler Perry, but instead I'm going to boost my new obsession. Have you ever heard of the Terrell Show on YouTube?
Speaker 2: Manadra, no, I have doc Are you gonna educate me?
Speaker 1: I am so. Torell is a young African American man who does this show where it's oh, what do they call it? I guess it's like a song association where he sits behind this like really bright, beautiful blue screen and he loves music and so he gets like these music artists that some of you know, some of them you don't know as well. He has broken kind of like a lot of new artists too, where he'll say a word and then they have to sing sing a song that has a word in the title or in the song itself. And honestly, it is delightful. It is funny. I mean, there are some people who just can sing down They're like wow. I mean there are people now who am following on Spotify as a result. And so if you need a little joy in your life, you know Terrell. It's literally just t E R R e LLL on on YouTube. And there's a there's a gentleman named Sammot or Samo that now I'm like in love with his voice because I saw him on The Terrell Show. Cynthia or Rebo, my girl who plays Harriet in the new Harriet movie, was just recently a guest on the show. So, like I said, he's had, like, you know, some well known folks, and he's had some folks that you might know, like Amber Riley from Gale. Oh my goodness, her voice is the voice of an angel, and so just happy times. So yeah, I think that people would enjoy enjoy his show. You know, they're typically about twenty twenty to thirty minutes long, the videos, but you just really get to hear people's voice. And if you really love music, I think you'll love the Terrell Show.
Speaker 2: That seems like a fun thing to watch. I'm gon check it out. I love you know, I love me some Cynthia Orribo. I can't wait for Harriet tell my movie.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I'm trying to think out what I'm going to do special, like if I should do like a DreamCatcher mob through because I really feel like we all need to go watch it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, buy out a theater in Newark or something. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I know, I wonder how much that would cross. I'm like, I don't know, no, because honestly, it just I just feel like it would just I just cannot wait. It looks so good and empowering. And because sometimes you you know, you watch some of those movies like Twelve Years of Slave left me so broken, like I I can't do this.
Speaker 2: My movie broke a lot of people, you know, my friends and I. After that movie came out, we're like, we cannot see any more slave Moviesation never saw it either. But this one feels different because yes, we know she's gonna make it.
Speaker 1: And it feels empowering. It seems like she can't hear very much like that, like she is not a victim of her circumstance. She is she's heroic. She is powerful, and she owns that power. And that's why I'm excited to see it. Because you're right, so many of the slave and not and not to say that they're bad because that's the reality. That's what it was like. So I'm glad I watched Twelve Years of Slave, but it was I mean, I was sobbing weeping in the movie there. I was like, wow, it was it was traumatic and I was like, okay, I don't I don't want to hate people. So I'm just not gonna watch these movies anymore because it just makes you look around and you're like, why are you like this? So yeah, so yeah, So definitely the Harry movie. I cannot wait to see it. Yeah, because she's just so dope and I just got to hang out with her a little bit at Love's wedding and she's just even dopeer. She's sang that saying love you down the aisle, so she was the one who likes Yeah.
Speaker 2: It was beautiful, beautiful yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just such great energy. And Superman was like can I get a picture? And she's like, oh sure. He's like, I'm all my friends. I was like, you know what. He took a picture with her and and eyvon Og Molly from Insecure. He was so geek to be able to tell his friends he meant to famous people.
Speaker 2: I don't blame him. I've been like, yeah, this is and of course you're probably playing it cool, but you get to geek out when you're Tiffany ellye Chase, mister budget stick. Can I get a picture please,