Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News.
Speaker 2: Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Alexis Christophers.
Speaker 3: Here are the stories we're following today now.
Speaker 2: Like s as we begin with the latest developments in the Middle East, Iran is dismissing US threats of economic pain and isolation. Treasury Secretary Scott Besson says the Trump administration will give details of an initiative on Monday that President Trump describes as an economic d day. We get the very latest from Bloomberg News director Will Kennedy.
Speaker 4: Aren't that many added things the US can do? There are sanctions that have been in place for many, many years. There's this blockade of oil tankers, which is of course having an impact. Iranian oil exports are very close to zero. It would really take an effort to persuade other countries like China not to trade with Iran to make a big further difference. One presumes putting secondary sanctions on China would be a very big step for lots of reasons, given the broader context on the China US relationship, not least because Donald Trump is about to have a meeting with shishimping.
Speaker 2: And Bloombergswill Kennedy says China will provide the biggest test of Washington's determination to follow through. Beijing is the main buyer of Iranian oil and.
Speaker 3: Nathan There may be new tensions in the Asia Pacific. The US, Japan, and South Korea held a three way call to coordinate their response after North Korea fired a barrage of short range ballistic missiles yesterday. The volley came after President Trump stunned South Korea by abruptly canceling decades old joint military exercises, and the North rejected the president's bid to resume dialogue with leader Kim Jong un. North Korea says the two leaders may have an excellent relationship, but America's hostile policies haven't changed still, South Korea's president says he supports President Trump's decision to curtail the drills and reopen diplomacy.
Speaker 2: Well lexis new trade deadlines coming up for the the US and Canada. The two sides have till midnight to reach a broader trade deal after President Trump announced a tentative agreement to avert fifty percent tariffs on billions of dollars in Canadian goods sources tell Bloomberg the current deal with lower tariffs on certain Canadian steel and aluminum exports to twenty five percent and Canadian car duties would fall to fifteen percent. Chris Jiah Freeland is a former Canadian Deputy Prime Minister. She says both sides need a better outcome.
Speaker 5: I think that is a bad outcome for Canada to have permanent tariffs on our steel, aluminum, cars and carport parts. Really harmful for those sectors.
Speaker 6: But I think it's a bad outcome for the United States as well.
Speaker 5: It's really important for people to recognize that you can lose by winning.
Speaker 2: Former Canadian Deputy Prime Minister Christia Freeland, and you can catch more of her remarks on Bloomberg Wall Street Week tonight at six eastern on Bloomberg Radio, Bloomberg Television, and the Bloomberg Business app.
Speaker 3: Well, we have a winner in this week's special runoff in California to serve the rest of former Congressman Eric Swalwell's term. With ninety five percent of votes counted, the Associated Press Projects State Senator Aisha Wahab will beat fellow Democrat Bay Area Rapid Transit Board president Melissa Hernandez fifty three to.
Speaker 7: Forty seven percent.
Speaker 3: Wahab will become the first Afghan American to serve in Congress, and her campaign was backed by the Congressional Progressive Caucus. The result comes as Swalwell remains under investigation for sexual assault allegations. Federal agencized electronic devices from the former congressman at San Francisco Airport over the weekend and later searched his home in Washington, d C.
Speaker 7: Alexis.
Speaker 2: The bid term elections are now less than eighty days away, and Republicans have a huge war chest sitting on the sidelines. The latest federal filings show President Trump's super pac Maga Inc. Has a nearly four hundred four million dollar cash pile. The committee received another three million dollars in donations last month, including from private prison operator Geogroup and sugar producer Florida Crystals. At the same time, Maga Inc. Spent just one hundred and thirty two thousand dollars in July, mostly on operating costs. President Trump has said he plans to use Maga Inc. To support Republicans. So far, though he hasn't signed off on a plan.
Speaker 3: And Treasury Secretary Scott Besson says he's prepared to ramp up buybacks of costly US government debt. That's despite the short lived impact so far on long term borrowing costs. Besson also hinted at a new fiscal plan to address the highest treasury yields in decades.
Speaker 8: Once the market understands that we are focusing on fiscal consolidation and that we are trying to bring the market back into equilibrium in a thinly traded market, I think you know, I'm confident that bonds will continue declining.
Speaker 3: Treasury Secretary Scott Besson added the expanded buyback could be more than the four billion dollars currently planned for next month.
Speaker 2: There's a warning this morning from former New York Fed Bank President Bill Dudley, the current Bloomberg opinion columnist, says the US equity market is in bubble territory.
Speaker 9: Look at the railroads and the internet, telecom boom. All those things did great things for the comedy. So two things can be true at the same time. The technological innovation can be really transformative, but at the same time you can have an investment boom and bus And in fact, if you look at history, it tells you that that's usually the case. So the question here is really it's just really not whether it's going to be a turn from a boom to a bus. It's really a question of timing and magnitude.
Speaker 2: That's former New York Fed President Bill Dudley. He says the stock market bubble will likely burst before the end of twenty twenty seven. You can hear his full remarks on the Bloomberg Video Hub at Bloomberg dot com and the Bloomberg Business app.
Speaker 3: And Nathan as warnings grow of an artificial intelligence fueled stock market bubble. Word this morning that Anthropic is preparing for a potentially record breaking IPO. Sources say the Claw developer expects to match or beat the record seventy five billion dollars raised in SpaceX is listing. Mandeep saying, is Bloomberg Intelligence is a global head of tech research.
Speaker 7: This kind of.
Speaker 10: Growth through r it is phenomenal at the scale Andthropic is at And that's where when you compare to SpaceX, which kind of pod with about eighteen to nineteen billion dollar revenue run rate growth rate, much slower than entropics, and still manage to get close to that two trillion dollar mark. So from that perspective, clearly Entropic with its growth rate, should be at least over where SpaceX traded initially.
Speaker 3: Bloomberg Intelligence is mandip sings as Anthropic may file publicly for IPO by the end of this month.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, Lexis broadcoms and talks with lenders to raise more than sixty billion dollars in debt for an AI chip financing deal that would benefit Anthropic and other companies. The potential deal would help those firms access chips and other key AI infrastructure. Ryan Gould covers the chip sector for Bloomberg.
Speaker 11: This would be among the largest that we've seen of this type of deal. I want to just throw us back a little bit to June when we saw all Common announced that partnership with black Zone and Apollo, where essentially they were looking to strike an agreements provide sort of twenty kigawats of compute to Glow for AI deployment. I mean, I think you could probably see this as some kind of extension of that agreement. This would essentially see Blackstone and Apollo participate again per our sourcing and reporting.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg's Ryan Gould says Broadcom forecast back in March it would have AI chip sales topping one hundred billion dollars next year, and.
Speaker 3: Bloomberg News has learned in Nvidia is in early discussions with the Korean AI chip designer Rebellions about possible collaborations. Sources say the talks include a technical partnership and investment, or perhaps even an acquisition. Founded during the pandemic in twenty twenty, Rebellions is among a group of semiconductor startups designing and deploying their own chips to rival market leader in video.
Speaker 2: And South Korean chip giant Samsung Electronics plans to return as much as seventy nine billion dollars to its shareholders. Alexis, joining rival s k Heinez and handing investors a chunk of the windfall generated by the AI rush. The world's biggest memory maker is set to hold a board meeting to discuss shareholder returns.
Speaker 3: Five h nine on Wall Street Time Now for a look at some of the other stories making news in New York and around the world. For that, we're joined by a Bloomberg's Michael Barr. Good morning, Michael, Good morning.
Speaker 12: Alexis authority say a woman who had been plotting to bomb the New York State Capitol building in Albany, has been arrested in an FBI sting. Jessica Bowie allegedly believed laws were being passed that were affront to Islam. She is now facing a federal terrorism charge. Authority say Bowie had been under surveillance for more than a month as she communicated with at least one confidential informant posing as isis First Assistant US Attorney John Sarconne.
Speaker 8: The charge against Bowie carries a satutory maximum prison term of twenty years, a fine of up to two hundred and fifty thousand dollars, and a lifetime term of supervised release.
Speaker 12: New York Governor Kathy Okele.
Speaker 2: Political violence has no place in our state, and I've leave this suspect.
Speaker 6: She prosecuted to the fullest extent of.
Speaker 12: The law, according to a criminal complaint. After her arrest, Bowie told FBI agents that she expected to go to prison, saying there's no helping meet. You guys know enough. In Massachusetts, Representative Seth Moulton and Senator Ed Markey held their final Democratic Senate primary debate. At one point, the argument for generational change came up on artificial intelligence.
Speaker 8: I don't know what companies of my iPad might be using.
Speaker 13: If you don't even know what you're using on your phone your iPad, like this is why we need a new generation of leaders.
Speaker 12: Audio courtesy of WCVB. Both candidates brought up affordability issues while linking domestic prices to the war in Iran. The primary is set for September first in New York. Two tornadoes touchdown in Queens and on Long Island last evening. Officials say both started as water spouts and then made landfall. No one was heard. Democratic Congresswoman Joyce Beatty accused the Trump administration of violating a federal court order barring the Kennedy Center's board from renaming the performing arts venue for President Donald Trump. Attorneys for Beattie said the representative means it was a new, breathtaking act of defiance of Congress and of this court. Global news twenty four hours a day and whenever you want it. We're the Bloomberg News. Now now Michael Barr, and this is Bloomberg Alexis.
Speaker 2: Thanks Michael, time now for our Bloomberg Sports update, and for that we bring in Dan Schwartzman Baseball Scoreboard.
Speaker 14: The Yankees finish off a sweep of the Orioles six to one. The Rays fall to the Blue Jays five to one. Well, the Braves one hit the White Sox in a two nothing win. Elsewhere, Jacob de Grom becomes the second fastest pitcher in baseball history to reach two thousand strikeouts as a Rangers. Ace does it in the fewest innings pitched outside of Chris sale to Gram and Texas at the Nationals to nothing. NFL preseason Week two began Thursday night as a Raiders gone past the Texans twenty two to twenty, but number one overall draft pick Heisman Trophy winner Fernando Mendoza struggled, completing just eight of fifteen passes for eight eighty six yards and an interception, while the forty nine Ers dominated the Chargers forty one to seventeen.
Speaker 7: That's your Bloomberg Sports update.
Speaker 2: Stay with us more from Bloomberg Daybreak coming up after this.
Speaker 1: Coast to coast on Bloomberg Radio, nationwide on Sirius XM, and around the world on Bloomberg dot Com and the Bloomberg Business app.
Speaker 6: This is Bloomberg daybreak.
Speaker 7: Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 2: Treasury Secretary Scott Besson says he is prepared to go even further to bring down yields on long day to debt. He's teasing a new fiscal initiative after this week's announcement from the Treasury of expanded bond buybacks. Besson says, any initial moves in the market ahead of all this are just noise.
Speaker 8: Our announcement is for economics action, and I think that the economic action will mean that oil prices will come down sooner.
Speaker 2: That was Treasury Secretary Scott Besson at the White House and for more. We're joined by Bloomberg News FX and rates reporter Alice Gledhill.
Speaker 7: Good to have you back with us. Alice.
Speaker 2: Of course we saw the big purchase after the initial announcement, but the reversal, of course on yesterday's session should Beston be concerned that this is more than just noise.
Speaker 13: Good morning, Good morning, Thanks for having me back. Yeah. I mean, best might say he's not concerned, but I think he is concerned, and I think he probably should be concerned. I think, you know, coming into this job, he had a KPI Key Performance Indicator and that was get yields down sustainably, and it just doesn't seem like he's succeeding at that so far.
Speaker 6: You know, the problem is well known.
Speaker 13: The US has too much debt, it's growing, It has this almost two trillion dollar budget deficit, and crucially, you know, the debt is growing at a time when interest rates a high, So borrowing costs a high. Your debt service and costs a high, and that's money that you can't spend on other things. And of course, you know, high US Treasury eels also push up things like interest bills and mortgages other loans, and that's unpalatable I think from a political perspective, certainly ahead of the midterms. So yeah, I think there's a wides bread viewer market that the US can't keep on, can't sort of keep going on like this. It's not sustainable, you know, and does it all end with some sort of crisis? And I think that's what the US administration is trying to avoid.
Speaker 2: So what kind of fiscal initiative could the Treasury Secretary announce here they could really take a bite out of these rising dead costs. We heard the secretary talk about going after fraud I mean, would that be enough.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I think that's the key question for investors, certainly heading into the weekend. I mean, obviously we had Best and comeback on screens yesterday and talk a little bit more about the measures that he's announced this week. So he sort of talked up the size of these potential buybacks and the longer dated bonds that had a very small impact on yields, but it was pretty fleeting, to be honest, and then he sort of flags this upcoming fiscal initiative. But yeah, I mean details are pretty unclear. I think, yeah, you mentioned the potential sort of fraud task force there, but I mean, I'm not sure the market is really buying this all that much at the moment. I think these are kind of seen as sort of stopgap measures and the issue, you know, the things we were just talking about, the enormous deficite and so on, that's the big problem and that's what needs to be tackled. And I'm not quite sure that sort of Best in the kind of dancing around these issues this week, with these sort of kind of piecemeal ideals ideas, is really sort of convincing anyone in the market to that point.
Speaker 2: I mean, we heard strategistic JP Morgan Chase come right out and say that expanded bond buybacks could test the Treasury's credibility. I mean, what's the risk that this could all back for you're on the department.
Speaker 6: I think that absolutely is the risk.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I agree with JP Morgan, and I think you know, if you come out and say, you know, we've got this tool, it's you know, it's going to help liquidity in a part of the market where I think some people doubt there is actually a liquidity problem. I think, yeah, it just feels like the treasure is maybe flailing a little bit here and that you know, I think that's damaging to its credibility, and that's sort of why you saw the decline in yields earlier this week reverse pretty quickly. I had an interesting conversation actually with one big investor here in Europe yesterday who was saying, there's not much that Beston can do kind of right now, Like what the long end really needs is a hike actually from the Fed, and that will sort of sure up its inflation inflation fighting credentials, and that's going to help sort of restore confidence at the long end of the curve.
Speaker 6: So yeah, an interesting response from him.
Speaker 13: He was, you know, he said, besn't kind of need sort of signal kind of so much, but you know that the FED needs to be involved here as well.
Speaker 2: An interesting point considering we just tarned from San Francisco FED President Mary Daily on Bloomberg just yesterday saying that she's more focused on the short end of the curve as opposed to the long end.
Speaker 7: But I mean, we've also seen throughout all this.
Speaker 2: AI companies coming out with massive debt offerings as well. I mean, is that the kind of thing that can have an impact on what we're seeing in the government bond space.
Speaker 6: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 13: I mean I think it's very hard to quantify the extent to which that mega issuance in the AI in tech space particularly is impacting government bonds. But you know, Betten himself sort of mentioned this as being a factor in the rise in US BONN yields in his comments yesterday. I think, I guess the point is that you have a lot of this corporate issuance is long dated, a lot of it is highly rated, so you got because it's a credit, you got a bit more pick up in yield over the comparable US treasury. So you know, if you're an investor hunting for yield, a court like, why wouldn't you buy that stuff? And of course, you know, it's not just the US government that's issuing an enormous amount of debt. It's governments everywhere, whether that's while certainly in Europe, it's the UK, it's Germany, it's France, it's you know, Japan has increasing issues.
Speaker 6: So there's just more debt everywhere.
Speaker 13: And I think that's another deep structural forces that's driving up eels on treasuries and other sovereign debt everywhere.
Speaker 2: Sort of last minute alice from the people that you're speaking with, what are they telling you when it comes to what they would like to hear from the Treasury Department in terms of a credible move to bring these borrowing costs down.
Speaker 13: So I think it's it's kind of back to that point about tackling the underlying issue on a sort of serious fundamental level, and that's kind of I suppose a significant fiscal program that starts to bring down that deficit significantly, but I think from a political point of view that you know, that's not easy, and I think that's why the market is going to keep on testing the US administration.
Speaker 3: Here this is Bloomberg Day, your morning podcast on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 2: Look for us on your podcast feed by six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, or anywhere else you listen.
Speaker 3: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street Time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg ninety two nine in Boston, and nationwide on Sirius XM Channel one twenty one.
Speaker 2: Plus listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app now with Apple CarPlay and Android Atuto interfaces.
Speaker 3: And don't forget to subscribe to Bloomberg News Now. It's the latest news whenever you want it in five minutes or less. Search Bloomberg News Now on your favorite podcast platform to stay informed all day long. I'm Alexis Christophoris.
Speaker 7: And I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 2: Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Day.
Speaker 9: Ran