Speaker 1: Welcome into the game plan Commanders family. Your commanders are on the role for prime time. It's some one of that football matchup against the Cincinnati Bengals and Logan and I talks tickets to a win over Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: All that more starts now.
Speaker 1: Welcome back into the game plan, Commanders family, Welcome in our freeless leader head coach Dan Quinn. First things first, congratulations on.
Speaker 2: The first way Yeah.
Speaker 1: The Commander's head coach first home game as well. Man, how great was that environment and getting that win at home?
Speaker 2: Yeah? It was really cool. Man. I really wanted that for the players, you know, and then to also have it be a division win at home and have that first experience with them as a division win. It was awesome. Man. It was really cool to have the locker room and be in that. It was awesome.
Speaker 3: Coach, you know, obviously, like momentum is the thing they talk about at the lower levels of football. Do you I mean you've coached football for a long time. Do you find that's also something that happens with NFL teams kind of getting a win and then you can kind of parlay it into another one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know if it's momentum I may use, but sometimes a team that's new and building together, there's probably a confidence element that goes into that because you have to keep improving and keep working and so the you know, progress doesn't happen like in these big that happens to these big bursts, So like another jump will happen, another jump will happen, and so we just got to keep working that. But I do think there's some momentum. I do think there's some confidence that does get when you get the wins, and you have to make sure you're continuing to improve upon those and coach moving forward.
Speaker 1: Primetime Monday Night Football will be taking on the Cincinnati Bengals out in Cincinnati. Now they've also a slow start, but they showed signs of their old steff against Kansas City. How do you slow down this high powered offense, particularly Jamar Chase.
Speaker 2: Yeah, both he They've got a really explosive offense. They have a unique combination you know talking about with Joe. Not only is he accurate and can process quickly and put it to the right spot, he's also tough as nails, and so you've got to rush, You've got to be able to affect a quarterback like him, So you can't you know, have those decisions you know, as quickly and as easily to go. But we know it to be a fight, but we'll be ready for that as well.
Speaker 3: Coach, you talked about, you know, kind of the rush plan to kind of you know, with Joe Burrow, you probably got to do a million things.
Speaker 2: You probably got to change.
Speaker 3: Coverage structure, You've got to probably rush well, Like, is there something specifically with him? You're like, man, we got we just got to kind of pull everything on the on the table for him because he's such a talented football player.
Speaker 2: I think you have to make sure one we have to do what we do well. You know, if you go into a game plan and doing things you're not accustomed to or not ready to do, that could backfire on you as well. So number one, having disguises that is part of what we do and how we play, showing one thing, playing another, and then having the ability you know, to win on third down. I think that logan is gonna be one of the real factors in this game. You know, to give the ball back to our offense to get into that space, because if they're able to continue to convert on some third downs. That's a hard place to keep going in that way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And you know, I was talking to some fans recently. They're like, oh, Jean Jamar Chase is so good one, it's just bracket them the whole time. And you know, you try to explain it, but I'm not a super intelligent defensive guy. But can you explain to a fan sure why it might not be a good idea to bracket Jamar Chase every play.
Speaker 2: So if you bracket somebody in and out. In other words, let's say you know we were going to bracket you, that's afer.
Speaker 3: You wouldn't do that in real life, but you would.
Speaker 2: For this exercise, we will. That's what you'd call like an in and out and so where you could be vulnerable on that straight through and so now you go take a vertical shot and you're expecting them to go in and out. And so a bracket's really good for like the low red zone, where you have, you know, the twelfth defender who is the goal line behind you. That's a good thing. When you're out in the middle of the field, you can't quite do it in that same fashion. So sometimes a double team in that one might be a high low and so can you rip somebody across? So it's not just as easy as you know, hey, put a double team on them. And sometimes when a player's outside, you can play zone, but get your hands on somebody. So it's it's more of the disruptive thought. And oftentimes logan a double or a bracket or you know, the things you're referring to can also force a throw, you know, to go to another player, and you've got to stand up strongly against them as well.
Speaker 1: And coach, I've got to imagine the interior pass rus is a huge part of success for us against the Cincinnati Bengals. How do you scheme to get Dron Payne and Jonathan Allen goling in this game?
Speaker 2: I think you have to create some passing opportunities also, you know, because if you're on first and second down, there's some runs and play passes are a lot like run. So like, for instance, you're selling a hard run play action fake, there's four sets of hands on Doran and John and so that's different. You know, that's a hard you know you're getting double team essentially, but when you are in longer passing and more obvious passing scenarios. Now you can get vertical and find some one on ones and some matchups. So that's why I think it's going to be important to create some passing scenarios. That way, these guys can get vertical and do their thing. But if it's in the smaller neighborhoods, you know, they do their scouting too. You know, they don't let these players ruin the game, and so we've got to also win around them.
Speaker 3: It's I'm really got you said that, because like fans don't always understand that, you know, like down and like you have to earn the opportunity to rush the passer right right, If we're not good on first and second down, it's second and three, like, they can do whatever they want. But if it's third and ten, third and ten or second and ten, like, the opportunity is there for us to pin hers back and go get that.
Speaker 2: That's right, and so how quickly does the ball get out? All those things are a big factor. But by and large, we've got to find some spots to put them and see if we can create some matchups. But that's why I thought the third down is such a big factor in this game because those are some chances where we can get those guys up the field and get really rocking.
Speaker 1: And a big part of slowing down this offense is playing complimentary football and controlling the ball offensively ourselves. How to be Robin Austin Eckler helping.
Speaker 2: That, well, they help a lot because it's not just in the run game, but it's in the passing game as well. And so when you're at the end of the game, you'd like to be a b of fifty in runs and completions. And so in the last game we were, I think we were at fifty eight. And so if you get to that spot, you're now controlling some time of possessions because of the runs, because of the completion. So for if you were defending us and you played a really light box and you were going to defend all the receivers, you may lean on the runs more. So the runs might be higher. If somebody was really hell bent on, you know, down in for the run, there might be some opportunities for some quick game and completions to move the ball down the field. So having a balance is really the most effective way to control the time of possession, because if you're just one way only you know, all drop back pass or all run game. You know, those can be stopped. But when you have the element of both, that's when if you find that sweet spot, that's the secret sauce. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. And the other thing it's I find interesting is like when you look at Kansas City the area. We're on the ball pretty effectively against Cincinnati, but it's NFL football, you know what I'm saying, Like they're going to come in with a plan, like how do you keep those how do you anticipate what they're going to do, you know, and not kind of overreach yourself and kind of get out of what you want to do well.
Speaker 2: Number one logan, you always have to be ready to adjust, and so if you have balance, then you can. They're playing a certain way, like nobody waits till halftime to you know, make halftime adjustments like those. If you're waiting until then, you're going to get your ass kicked. You know, you have to be able to adjust quickly. Hey, they want to play a certain way. There's more blitz this game. There's less splitz, there's loading the box. Those are the things that you want to keep track of, especially early on and sometimes just by the uniqueness of your play you may force you know, somebody to adjust differently. And so that's a little bit of the you know, the coaching that goes on each week in the NFL. Just because what you did one week doesn't mean it's going to be as effective. You have to be able to adjust. And so having balance in the run game, the play pass, you know, those are really big factors.
Speaker 1: And to get that run game going, of course, coach, you've got to get first downs. Jayden Daniels is a big part of that talk about his growth in which you want to see from him in week three.
Speaker 2: Well, one, I love his demeanor on the sideline. If you could have been down there right when he's about to take the field, you know, for our last drive that ended up being the kick for a game winner. Man like one about wanting to get on the field and go for it and in this poise that he has. And so that's a great feeling to know that your quarterback in that moment is in jederary, what's the call or what? Man? He was like absolutely ready to go rock. So we all have a lot of confidence in him because of all the work that he's put in. So yeah, it's a really big deal. Have you seen anything like that before? The older the younger player with that kind of maturity is really rare, And he just has a great poise about him in these moments. He enjoys the competing. He's a really relentless competitor, which I love. But he also has the joy of that of playing and competing and doing it. And so he's going to continue and improve. This has only been a second game, and so sometimes outside the pocket, is he going to want to take a shot down the field? Now? He can, but you do have to be in those experiences to learn him. And it's excellent that he is continuing to improve as we're going.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you said he's a competitor and it's fun to watch him every week because like the way he runs, the way he plays a game, it's evident he wears on his sleeve. But I think he's got an interesting challenge, competitive challenge with Lou and Roumo this week. He's a guy that when I watch him, he seems to kind of try to take away what you do well, Like how do you get Jayden ready for some of these unscoted looks at Cincinnati's probably going to present. I know he studies hard, and I know that's a big part of.
Speaker 2: It, and they are I've got a lot of respect for lou and how they play. He's been just really consistently good. Yes, And like that's that's underrated. Yeah, it is, because you know this team's gonna play tough. They're going to be excellent in the passing game. Who's got a long background as a defensive coach, especially in the secondary. He's always been rock solid in the passing game. So knowing the uniqueness of their coverage, of how they play, where they deploy the people, that's a big piece of this. But very rarely are they at a position. And now it comes down to matchups and you can win him and how do you go about him and attacking somebody's leverage to do that. Jaden's playing our position well, not just throwing it, so he knows when to check in and out of runs, when to get to certain plays and that doesn't show up on the stat sheet, but it's a really important factor in our winning.
Speaker 1: And as a head coach, it has to be super beneficial to have a leader like zach Ertz hoping not only this offense, but a guy like Jaden Daniels come along. What have you seen from him as a leader and how has he helped Jayden grow quicker?
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot. I thought in this last game, I thought that was a vintage Zach performance. He really was in a very classic way. He had a ball where it could have been intercepted or his to go, and he just aggressively went forward down to the ground and came up with the catch. Plays like that are not typical, but he's been in so many good, additive moments that when it showed up for him, he was ready for it. And he's been an excellent leader for Jaden, an excellent teammate excuse me, to make sure he's getting all the support that he needs as well. And that's one of the good things about being a part of this team. They don't really have to worry about themselves because the support they have from everybody else is really really strong, and they can just look after one another in that way, and so that connection will continue to get stronger, stronger, not just with Jaden and Zach, but with other players as well.
Speaker 3: Did you say other players like obviously Zach's one that comes to mind, but is there anybody else, You're like, man, this guy's really helped bring Jade along.
Speaker 2: I would say defensively. I love the connection that he and Wags have and so just seeing them communicate, talk what are they seeing? Sometimes it could be as easy as a process, you know, getting ready for a game and so what does that look like to go? Marcus has been a really big support of Jaden's as well, and so he's got some great teammates here and they trust him. He trusts them as well, and so when those relationships build and grow, that's a big deal. But our quarterback room, the coaches, the other quarterbacks, Jaden, it's very unique and they really are pulling for one another in the very best of ways. So it's really from just watching it as a coach. It makes you happy because they're finding the extra details, they're looking for things they you know, always nice to have somebody have your back, and he's got a whole team that does. Coach.
Speaker 1: We appreciate you, man, it's always fun talking to you again. Congratulations on that win. We cannot wait to see you and our Burgundy and Gold hit out there for prime toon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we can't wait either, man.
Speaker 1: Sir Commands family, We know you are enjoying the game plan. However, if you want to see coach and logan Paul said break down plays in the film room, you could check that out on the Commander's YouTube page.
Speaker 2: Welcome back Command his family. Now this is ticket to a win.
Speaker 1: It's all about matchups.
Speaker 2: Some matchups.
Speaker 1: I'll let me know what you're thinking. Okay, First one, Joe Witt Jr. Slowing down wide receiver Jamar Chase.
Speaker 3: I'm glad that we picked Joe Witt Junior because he's the he's the orchestrator, the master of this defense, right and with a player of Jamar Chase's ability, you need everybody, all eleven guys on defense to account for this guy. So what's the plan do we How do we rush the pass or how do we make Joe Burrow uncomfortable?
Speaker 2: What kind of coverage cont do we play?
Speaker 3: Do we bracket a guy like this because he's that good, that's how That's what we need to do to kind of take him off the table. And I think Joe Whitt is definitely gonna be.
Speaker 1: Up to the challenge.
Speaker 2: A lot easier said than done.
Speaker 1: Our next match up, Jonathan Allen Dran Payne getting after mister Blonde Joe Burrow.
Speaker 3: I love this one, man, because these guys everyone's talking about, Okay, they rust the passion. I want to look at the Bengals offensive line. I think the guards specifically struggle in pass protection and they're not going to do the max protection, max the max protection that the Giants did. They're going to kind of put those five guys on an old say when they're when you're one on ones, and I think these guys can win one on ones and Joe Burrow, while being a special talent, quarterbacks cannot throw under pressure and they I think these guys get done this week.
Speaker 1: Get in Joe Burrow dirty the next one of Jad and Daniels going against their single caller, they have middle lineback.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think this is a really good one because like he's a guy with a skill set. Obviously he can run, he can throw, and what can they do defensively to kind of upset them? And I think that all starts with Logan here, and what I mean by that is, can you get the guys lined up? Can they get the defense called?
Speaker 2: It's gonna be a really.
Speaker 3: Interesting chess match between these two guys, because if you watch the New York game. They put a lot on Jane Datis in terms of checking plays versus coverage structure.
Speaker 2: So I can't wait to watch these two go to war Man.
Speaker 1: What tests these first three weeks have had for Jayden Daniels then, Oh my god, because we've seen a world station yeah.
Speaker 2: Going against their pass rush. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So Trey Hendrickson is an absolute monster. He's got a thirty three percent win rate. And just to give you some context, when Deron Paid had eleven sacks, his was nine. So he is winning a lot of one on one in pass protection. Cornelius Lucas has done a great job, Brandon Coleman's been excellent in the run game. But this is a whole new challenge for them. So I do think Cliff Kingsbury is going to need to help these guys out Chipeut play pass screen game. We gotta get this guy off his game because he is a game wrecker for sure, and that is your ticket to win no more matches. It's gonna beat up my fun matchup. Their command is family, Enjoy the command is game.
Speaker 2: Commander is family.
Speaker 1: You can catch us every Sunday on ws A nine Sunday Mornings before your games. This is game planning with Brian Cooper, Junior Logan Paulson, he coach Dan Quinn until next Sunday.
Speaker 2: Command is family yet? Mm hmm