Speaker 1: Hey, everyone, welcome back to Bad Your Happy Hour. I'm Joe and I'm Serena, and we are here today with actually one of the hosts of Bachelor Golden Hour, Kathy. Kathy, welcome to the podcast.
Speaker 2: Hey, Joe and Tourna. Thanks for having me. So excited to be here.
Speaker 1: We will. I mean, I think you've been on this I mean we've met in person. I think you've been on this podcast before. But I know it was an issue at the beginning because Serena.
Speaker 2: You know, yes, Serena didn't have too much, too many good things to say about me. But Serena, have we come a long way?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: Are we good? Are we good?
Speaker 3: First of all, that's not actually accurate, but yes, Kathy, we are more than good. I love you, but I never didn't love you.
Speaker 2: You just loved other people more. It's okay, I'm just climbing up the hill here.
Speaker 3: I love it. On one podcast two years ago, I will never live it down to this woman.
Speaker 2: I got my hid from boots on. Let's go.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Kathy, you go on. You know, I kind of figured they were going to ask you. It seemed like a no brainer to me. But were you surprised at all to be asked to go on to Bachelor in Paradise.
Speaker 2: I mean everyone's always surprised. I knew they didn't have as many goldens to choose from as they did young ones, young ands, as I refer to them. So you know, I am known for my banter and my silliness, so I thought there was a chance. But still when you get the call, it's it's exciting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we know that your co host on Bachelor Golden Hour, Susan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's left me in the dirt for a Frenchman. Let's just she least call it out.
Speaker 3: How did she do that? She left you all alone on the beach.
Speaker 2: She did, actually, But you know what, he's a great guy. She's happy, and who could ask for more?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: I love that my friend is happy.
Speaker 3: How did you feel when you got on the boat and you looked around and you saw the other goldens that were going to be going to Paradise with you?
Speaker 2: So I you know, I had made it well known that I wanted to date with c K and I wanted to date with Keith, so I was thrilled to see both of them there. I had a suspicion that they may be there because there was sort of talk going around who was going to be there. But you know, until until you arrive, you don't know.
Speaker 1: What and did anything happen between you and c K?
Speaker 2: So it was really strange. C K and I are really good friends. We talked on the phone a lot, but when he got I think he's camera shy or something. He just shut down. And I was like, I kept saying, come on, ck.
Speaker 1: Talk to me.
Speaker 2: Let's go. So I don't know what happened. I don't know what happened, but you know, he missed the boat literally and figuratively.
Speaker 3: Out of the women there, who were you closest with.
Speaker 2: Oh, for sure, Leslie. And let me just say, Leslie, it was great to see April because you know, we just hadn't really talked in a few years, and we got our love fest going again. Leslie and our roomed together, and so it was a great opportunity to get to know her better.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: Nancy, but nance was there a hot minute.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she was in and out really quick.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You mentioned we'll refer to the to the youngins as the youngins, but the young uns have more options, you know, there's it just seems like there's more options opposed to you, guys, it really seems like options are somewhat limited. Did you feel that way when you were down there?
Speaker 2: I mean a little bit because a little bit because we were hoping that there were going to be more guys there. We were sort of hoping that maybe some of more of Jones cast offs, or maybe more of Jones, the guys that didn't quite make the cut, you know, would show up. But I have to be honest. Going for me, I'm the eternal optimist. I'm always hoping to find love. But I also was so excited about the opportunity to be the first Goldens with the Youngins. And honestly, you know, I'm a mom of three. I thought, you know, I might be able to help them. I might give them some good advice. So I was excited about that too.
Speaker 3: Was there was there anything you were worried about going into it with the mixing of the Goldens and the young Ins.
Speaker 2: I mean, listen, I might have done a body shot on c K for my birthday, but I was not. I have three kids. Every you know, I'm not gonna I'm not going to hook up with a young guy. I'm just not so.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: I wasn't worried at all. I was there for the adventure of the fun, hopefully to fall in love and be sort of the mom to anybody who wanted to talk.
Speaker 1: Who do you think you were the most mom too? When you were down there out of the like who were you? Who was coming to you? A lot.
Speaker 2: I talked to really all of the young ones, I'd say the most was Parisa, Alex and and and Jess and Jess.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, all right, so Keith, you you and Keith are in a platonic relationship.
Speaker 3: Yeah. It seemed to have started as potentially exploring something romantic. We see you guys go to the vip VIP suite for your date night, kind of walk us through how that night went and then how it ended up gearing just more towards friendship.
Speaker 2: You know, for me, it was a no brainer. When I won the secret challenge and made sure I won that challenge, there was it was no question I was going to invite Keith. And we had a great time. We talked, we made jokes. Keith has the most amazing sense of humor and he's such a kind guy all wrapped into one.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I think that's why the Youngins love him. I think that's why the Goldens love him. He's just that guy that can go anywhere and have a conversation with anyone. And so, uh, you know, we sat in the hot tub and had champagne and strawberries, and we had some swimming races and some just laughs, and so I think for both of us it was such a great time. But it was also confirmation that we were just always going to be good.
Speaker 3: Okay, and the Romanda connection just wasn't really there as much as the love was there.
Speaker 2: Exactly, exactly, Yeah, for both of us.
Speaker 1: Two part question, who rubbed you the wrong way? Out of the Golden Cast and out of the young and Cast? If anyone did, they may not.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, I'm this is Kathy always tells the truth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Kim, That's what I'm asking.
Speaker 2: You know. I am who I am, Kim? Why because I am a friendly person. I got to know everybody. I knew some of the I knew some of the Youngins from being on our podcast, Golden Hour podcast. I knew some of the Goldens from meeting them at other events. I'd never met Kim, and my husband was an officer in the Navy. My husband won the Navy Achievement Medal, which is the highest honor you can get as an officer, and so I just let you know we can have some chats about naval officer times. Anyway, I went up to him and I said, you know, Kim, I've talked with everybody, but I really haven't chatted with you much, Like, is there something wrong? Did I say something? I just couldn't figure it out? And he looked at me up and down with his eyeballs and said, there is absolutely nothing about you I find attractive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is a horrible that is really not nice.
Speaker 2: So I think perhaps people can understand. I don't know why. I mean, it's okay, he's not attracted me. I'm not attracted to him, but I would never say something like that. I mean, I think he's a nice enough guy for somebody, but uh.
Speaker 3: You don't have to find someone attractive to want to get to know them.
Speaker 1: Did you say your poem suck? Did you say that too? And you say your fucking poemsuck? That?
Speaker 2: Can I just tell you I may or may not have had a few laughs. First the poem to Leslie, then a poem to Faith. It was like, the guy likes to write poems. He's he's singing in the mansion, and he's writing poems in Paradise.
Speaker 3: He's a creative.
Speaker 1: What was your when he said that to you? What was your response?
Speaker 2: I think, you know, I I tend to take handle difficult situations and sort of make a joke of it. And I think I said something like, well, okay, I guess said no where I stand? Nice walked away.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah.
Speaker 3: So what do you think about Kim and Faith's relationship that? And where do you stand with Faith?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Faith? That I we talk. We're very good friends. I think you know some people, I think I don't know where they are. I suspect their only friends, because that's what you know, was the vibe, but except for the making out part. But we'll just sca, we'll just skim over that. I think that I can't speak to where they are today. But I like Faith a lot, and I think, you know, Faith felt really hard for Gary are Gary from Golden Bachelor, and I think that she wanted to explore getting to know him good for her. I mean, Paradise is about exploring relationships and fallen in love.
Speaker 3: So watching the show, it does appear that they are in a romantic relationship where they're exploring and they're falling for each other maybe a little bit. But I can tell from your interviews that you aren't really buying into that it's more than a friendship. Can you maybe provide us with a little context?
Speaker 2: Uh, I just I just think that I just didn't get the vibe. I did not get the feel. You know, Faith and I had conversations when she came. She chose me to go horseback riding with I mean, I don't I really can't say more than I don't think Faith. She came in there were very limited options, so she was trying to make silk out of a sow's ear.
Speaker 3: Okay, so you feel like, you know, the effort was being put in, but like the romance wasn't really there.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm not dear Abby, but I you know she was. They came and went. She came and went pretty quickly. And you know, if she could fall in love that fast, I want whatever she's smoking, drinking, or eating.
Speaker 3: How is the horseback riding with Faith? You're really really scared of horses? Well?
Speaker 2: I got to say Faith was fabulous. I really was. People think I was joking. Oh no. When she asked me to go hers back writing, I thought, and the reason she asked me back on golden. At Teresa and Gary's wedding, I made a smart alec comment shocker about uh, she could never leave her hometown because she has a dead horse in her backyard. I didn't, I did. I said it, but I didn't realize she had raised this horse from a puppy or you know whatever called folds and this she trained it, and you know, it was like a child to her and she had like twenty something years. Had I known that, I would have never said it. So she came to me and talked, and she knows I'm deadly afraid of horses. So I thought, I owe it to faith to you know, to I wanted to repair our friendship. And I thought, you know what, you can't talk and not do. You can't take risks. Sorry, you cannot not take risks. And so I thought, I've got to prove to people that being golden doesn't mean you're just wrapped up and out in the field somewhere, that you're willing to try things that scare you. So that was the impetus for me saying yes to it, and it was fun, but I was scared to death most of the time. And Faith kept talking to me, telling me what to do, except she was talking into the wind and I literally could say, Faith, I can't hear you because I couldn't hear. But I you know what, I did it. I loved it. I came off feeling like I could ride a horse again. It was a win win, That's amazing.
Speaker 3: I loved that.
Speaker 1: And then out of the youngins, has anyone rubbed you the wrong way?
Speaker 2: Brian and Jeremy. Remember I'm from Boston, so I can I can take it, you know, those guys that Northeastern vibe. They I think it was hard watching Parisa, you know, saying when she goes and talks to him, you know, did I do too much? Am I Am? I not who you're looking for? All that sort of emotional turmoil. And I love Parisa and she is such a lovely person, so I I was I want to take him and flap him upside the head and say, look at this girl, what is wrong with you? And then Jeremy, you know, the whole thing was Susie. I was like, oh, come on, but rubbing me the wrong way? You know, I love them both. They're great guys, But come.
Speaker 1: On, in your opinion down there, who who do you think is the strongest couple? You know, being a mother, being someone who's wise, You've seen a lot like who in your opinion has legs to make it after this show?
Speaker 2: There are two that I jessin Spencer without a doubt. I could see it from the minute I walked into Paradise. And Andrew and Alex I think have a really good shot. I also think, actually, Daleen Kat I do. I think they're both at a Dale and Cat are both at points in their lives where they know what they want. They're both beautiful people, they're both energetic, They both you know, have have a vision for their future, and I think I could well include each other.
Speaker 1: Nice. Okay, so we see the show. The format somewhat switches to a well does switch to a competition show? Five hundred thousand dollars is introduced. Yeah, like, where did you did you know this? Going in? Where's your logic?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: It's a it's a game. You're partnered up with Keith. You guys are friends. You could potentially win money yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, I've said to another podcasts and you're probably not going to believe me. Keith and I, as soon as we knew money was involved, we both looked at each other and said, there is no way we will take money away from young kids. That we would self eliminate, throw the contest, whatever it was, to make sure we didn't win. And I honestly will.
Speaker 1: Tell you why why would you think that I wouldn't believe that.
Speaker 2: I believe well, because I think most people dangle five hundred thousand dollars and who do I have to kill to get it? And I'm not that way. But here's what Here is the truly my truth. I am at a point in my life. I'm in the last great chapter of my life, and I am so much more about connection with people than money. I have enough money to live. You know, would five hundred thousand be great if someone forced it into palms of my end? You bet. But I'm much more interested in people and connections and ships and my children and my grandchildren and that guy that's out there waiting for me. So I want to see the young ones win the money. I want them to get a great start on their life. You know, whether it's find a home or cars or paying off college debt.
Speaker 1: But are you are you interested at all in playing in just competing?
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm a competitor. I so that was the struggle for me, Like, oh, I wanted to win when Keith could not get the keys in the treasure chest. You heard what I said, why send a you know, why send a man to do a woman's job. It's like, I want to win, but I don't want to win at the expense of the younguns. No way.
Speaker 3: Okay, So you liked the competition element and competing, but when it came down to it, you weren't motivated by the money. You were more motivated by winning these challenges.
Speaker 1: One it seemed like Sean went pretty like full throttle on playing the game and the like, playing the game and getting caught up in the game, and it ended up being his demise that week. But what was your take on it? Did you have an issue with him doing that?
Speaker 2: I actually did. I took him aside well to the extent that he did it. It's you know, again, I've said it a million times. Love money. Sometimes they're like well and vinegar don't mix. I think that Sean took it too far. He was strategizing to the nines about who should we get rid of, and you know, and and when he sat down with Keith and me and said, you know, we need to get rid of this one or that one, and and Alicia and I have the strongest relationship here, I was like, no, you don't. And that to me has nothing to do with winning the money. When you bring money into it, it's it. It may or may not change your relationship. And I think that's that the issue. Are you here for love or money? Jonathan came out and said it he didn't find love, but I'm not going home. I want the money. I was like, what, And Brian had said it he wanted the money. Jeremy said he wanted it. But I do think the young'ins believed Keith and may because we both said to them, where guys, we're not We're not doing that. I don't I don't know if that's you know.
Speaker 3: Do you think that that may have saved you this past week from going home where you know, Jonathan and Leah got sent home as people knew that they were competing for the money, whereas you and Keith were not.
Speaker 1: And I will say, I will say before you answer that Dale did come on this podcast and say that he kept you guys, not for the competitive reason, but because he valued your relationship and your advice.
Speaker 2: Oh, I love you Dale, honestly. That that's what I think. I think many of them they came to us, both of us, in separate moments, and said, we love having you here, we love being able to talk to you and ask you questions. And they did. But I also think they really knew we weren't a threat. I think it's twofold. They knew that we were not going to take the money, but they also appreciated the care and concern that we both gave the young uns.
Speaker 3: There seems to be a unspoken or maybe it's spoken, understanding amongst the group that the strongest romantic relationships should be the ones to make it to the end, and one of those couples should be the ones to win the money. Do you agree with that mentality? No?
Speaker 1: I agree. I think that's why making it a competition show changes the whole game, because those people should be picked off.
Speaker 2: Who should be picked off?
Speaker 1: The strong competitors, the strong couples get them out.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I see it.
Speaker 1: Why do you know it's from a competitive from a super comp like if you were in a.
Speaker 2: Minute, if you're, if you're I define a strong couple by being a couple in love. You can be in love and guess the wrong numbers, can't find the keys in the sand, you know what? Are so so for me? And I said this, the the strong couples, if they're that strong, they're going to go home and they're going to pursue love and pursue their relationship.
Speaker 1: Definitely.
Speaker 2: The people who are good competitors and and can win games are going to go home with a lot of money and the two don't necessarily have anything to do with each other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, I agree with that. Yeah, I agree. I take back what I said. I agree with that.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of people are saying, like, oh, for example, Justin Spencer should stay because they're, you know, really in a serious relationship. But if you think about it, Justin Spencer are winning competitions. They're the most likely at this point probably to win the five hundred thousand dollars. If you send them home right now, they're going to keep dating that that's not going to be make or breaks in their relationships. Right, but you have to remember to see the mentality of the ground.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you have to remember the young ands are all very close with each other, and oh, I can't send this one home because we're good friends and we're so and I literally one of the pieces of advice I gave is, listen, guys, you're going to be friends after this. This is not You've got to understand. If you're here for love, you're here for love. If you're here for the money, you're here for the money. So if you want to get if you want to win the money, get rid of the people that are winning the challenges. I mean, it's just to me, it's just logical thinking.
Speaker 1: During during the glamping challenge, you and Keith have Yeah, such.
Speaker 3: A glamping is a strong word.
Speaker 2: I loved it.
Speaker 1: You and Keith have like a really sweet conversation. Was there any part of you that I thought, maybe like this could turn romantically with Keith during that moment.
Speaker 2: Well, let's be clear, we were drinking wine, and you.
Speaker 1: Know what, sometimes that's all it takes. That's right.
Speaker 2: It certainly can create loose lips. We did. We Keith is you know he was advertised on Jones season as girl dad. And he is a lovely man who is very sensitive. And you know, he complimented me and and you know, telling me I was beautiful and kind and all that. And I think he thinks that. But you know, I can't speak for why Keith isn't smart enough to know that I'm a catch. You'd have to ask him that. But we did have a great time and and we love the camping. It was fun. Keith loves to camp. Uh and he you know, to him, this was old Home Week.
Speaker 3: Do you think Keith would be a good Golden Bachelor?
Speaker 2: I have never thought about that. Yeah, he probably he could. He's got the personal I think he could pull it off if if, if they bring him, though, I'm coming, I'm gonna be one of the contestants, just to just to rile him up.
Speaker 1: Gary, Gary, who is a hot commodity down there for a minute, makes it just like a massive mistake in the game, Like such a bad mistake. Why do you think he like? Why do you think he did that?
Speaker 2: Can I just give you a little backstreet humor here? Keith and I are sitting there because we're in the bottom. We are we're in jeopardy of going home. Or being in the being voted off. And so Keith is looking at me. He's giving the guy should be a sports announcer. He's giving me a play by play of you know, he needs to just bet this. And and so we're watching Gary flipping. We are watching him flip the chips chip thank you, and he's talking with with Jesse and he's chit chatting about this and Keith and are look at you, going, dude, put one chip up there. You're you're at the top of the ladder here. You're not going to win because you know somebody else had already doubled their their chips. You're not going to win, but you're here, here for the child. So when he started flipping the chips and ever put out nine chips, I looked at Keith and he looked at me. And when I went and I think Keith looked at me and said we're going to be safe. And I was stunned. And I thought, and I will tell you Gary, after that, his he wasn't quite so loud and in charge. And you know, out there, I think he really felt badly about doing that to Leslie. I really because you know, Leslie had said to him uh. I think she had said something like, you know, don't bet you had to bet one chip, and and she had said if you don't know the answer, And clearly he didn't know the answer, and so I was stunned. But thank you Gary, because it saved me.
Speaker 3: It really did. His mistake actually potentially changed your entire paradise past.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, going back to the camping date, you guys all return from camping and they revealed that a therapist has been watching all of your interactions. Yes, did her observations about any of the couples surprise you?
Speaker 2: Not one. I sat there. I actually went up to her and said, you know, I'm not sure if you're a fortune teller or I mean she hit everybody on the on the on the hail on the head. And in fact, I love what she said about Keith and May She said, you too clearly have no romantic connection, but such a deep and caring friendship. And I looked at Keith and I went, wow, I mean she just watched a few you know, she had watched all the couples at the camp to have gleaned that much from such a short view of what we were all doing. But yeah, she hit everybody. Uh, I thought.
Speaker 1: Perfectly, even Andrew and Alex, because she did. Andrew and Alex don't have sexual chemistry. And know if I read.
Speaker 2: That that was funny. You said that that was the only thing, and I told her that after. I said, yeah, I don't think so. I think you missed on that one. But other than that, you're absolutely right. I think she missed on that. I think there was I saw them. Andrew and Alex were so cute together and laughing a lot. You could just see the connection with them.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think if there's anywhere that's going to kill sexual chemistry, it's camping in Kostriga with like a bajillion boby.
Speaker 1: And it's also just cameras. You know, some people don't some people just don't want to give that type of energy on camera.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. I loved it. I just it was I honestly, when they said we're going for the night, Keith and I were so disappointed that we didn't get to spend the night.
Speaker 3: Were you surprised that Dale and Kat won the competition?
Speaker 2: No, I did not know until we were there that how dreadfully afraid of bugs, cat Is and she I was happy that they won. He was so kind to her and she was really flipping out but giving it her best shot. You know, I loved it. They were near as I could kind of see what was going on, and no, I think that was well deserved.
Speaker 1: Were you surprised when Dale saved you and Keith over Jonathan and Leah?
Speaker 2: Not really. I think that Jonathan had made it very clear he was there for the money, so in that sense he was a threat. But also, you know, I spent a lot of time talking with Dale. In fact, there's you saw a couple of scenes where he puts his arm around me when we're sitting talking to Jesse and my my. I was teasing him, saying, listen, if things don't work out with you and Kat you're interested in an older woman, I'm available. I just think he is a great guy, and I think he appreciated our input and our thoughts about what was going on. I think he genuinely likes Keith and me.
Speaker 1: What do you guys have? Do you and Keith have a plan because you both you both know, but you both don't want to take the money from the young uns. And I do believe I do believe you when you say that, but like, do you have a plan if you end up? Like, because you don't know how this is all going to play out, Like what if you guys do win, Like what are you gonna do? Well, you may win the money, Like what if you accidentally win the money?
Speaker 2: Well, you but you can't accidentally win anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but like let's say, let's just say if if it's you and another couple at the end, you know it is a TV show, You're not gonna be able to back out of the last competition, Like that would.
Speaker 2: Be I mean they could, It's called a bank transfer.
Speaker 1: Pretty sure they see that.
Speaker 3: We are creeping up on the finale of Bachelor in Paradise. Looking back on this season, what were what was your favorite moment or a few of your favorite moments.
Speaker 2: Honestly, the camping was one of my favorite moments. I can't just say one. Spending time with Keith, spending time with the youngins, having food and alcohol at my You know I had to say, was drink plays, spending seeing wells again Jesse, I honestly I can't. Hannah, I loved her it truly for me. You didn't ask, but I will tell you batchlor In Paradise was so much more fun for me, and I felt like I came out of it with so many great friends and relationships and much more fun than Bachelor was Golden Bachelor.
Speaker 3: I love that. I'm so glad that you got the chance to go on Paradise, and I feel like it allowed the audience to see like just new sides of you that they didn't get to see on on the Battle.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that. I honestly always say this and I mean it. If people get to I'm not I'm not everyone's cup of tea, and I know.
Speaker 1: That well, like even Serena, you weren't her cup of tea, and yeah, ser.
Speaker 2: Like, let me just say, Serena, you would be a perfect example. Once you get to know me, you typically like me.
Speaker 3: I do like you, Kathy.
Speaker 2: I remember, you know what I'm gonna I'm gonna get someone to pull up that that old tape.
Speaker 3: Of youth, Kathy, and you're gonna realize it wasn't as bad as what you think.
Speaker 2: And you know what I'm gonna do. I'm just gonna make it in a loop. I'm gonna send it to you and Joe's gonna play it for you. Before you go to bed, You're gonna hear me saying every night, I.
Speaker 3: Can't wait, I can't wait. I'm gonna make it my alarm. I'll just all wake up to your voice every morning, Kathy, or my own voice. That's actually way worse. I don't want to do that.
Speaker 1: Well, Kathy, honestly, it was lovely talking to you again. This was a lot of fun. Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day and hanging out with us.
Speaker 2: Thanks thanks for having me. It's just always great to see you guys. I hope I'll get to see you in California at some point soon or come to Austin.
Speaker 1: Definitely, definitely, we are. Definitely. I'm definitely gonna go back to Barton Omney Creek and golf.
Speaker 2: Oh. I'll go golfing with you. Your your handicap is about mine. Will be a good team together, perfect. I do cheat though.
Speaker 1: You use the foot weedge, I'll use the hand wedge. I'll drink in the cart, uh, Kathy, anything you want to say.
Speaker 2: Well, love you both. But I also have to say, if you haven't tuned in to Bachelor Happy Hours Golden Hour my podcast with Susan, you need to because we have great guests and we have great conversations about everything. Nothing is off the table with us.
Speaker 1: Love that, and to our listeners, Thank you guys so much for tuning in the Batcheler Happy Hour and make sure you download and subscribe to the podcast.
Speaker 3: We have new and exclusive interviews every single week. Thanks for listening.
Speaker 2: Bye,