Speaker 1: Those a new startup that says it can cut the cost by letting you choose only the features you want a new cell phone carrier. Plus the holiday shopping cheat sheet you need to save serious money this week. Oh and your tech questions answered? What's going on? I'm Rich Demiro and this is Rich on Tech. This is the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer your questions about technology. I believe that tech should be interesting, useful and fun. All right, let's open up those phone lines at triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one.
Speaker 2: Give me a call.
Speaker 1: If you have a question about technology. Email is also open. Just go to Rich on tech dot TV. Uh, well we are here. We got great guests this week. We got Jeff Jablinski with the startup Slate. He's gonna talk about the bare bones EV that starts in the mid twenties and let's buyers add only the accessories they actually want. Later, we have Eli Singer, author of Offline Dot Now, a practical guide to healthy balance. And Luke Aragoni, founder and CEO of low t Ai is going to talk all about those AI deep fakes we're seeing from places like Sora too, and we're gonna talk about that whole topic. We also have a special guest in the studio today. Bobo is back.
Speaker 2: He is here.
Speaker 1: Welcome back Bobo from a quick baby leave. And my son Tanner is also here. Tanner welcome.
Speaker 3: Hi.
Speaker 2: Oh there you are. So you're gonna be helping me out today.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're gonna look at the calls and look at the call sheet and all that good stuff. Okay, yeah, all right, we are going to start this week. Oh that by the way, Russ in Indianapolis. Thanks for the suggestion, Russ said, longtime listener to your work over the years. I was just thinking, since it's the holidays, family and good cheer season, can you bring your boys back to the podcast for an episode. Loved it when you had them on a few months ago. Very entertaining and always interesting hearing the youngster's perspective. So Tanner is here Russ from Indianapolis, and he'll be giving us some perspectives on what the kids are doing. Six' seven it's six seven, weekend no. Comment all, right let's give you my ultimate holiday. Cheat she it is the slide into the. HOLIDAYS i know you are shopping. Now if you're like, Me i'm doing most of my shopping, Online i'm gonna give, it give you everything. Today i'm not holding anything. Back, okay let's start With. Amazon number one simple way to shop On. Amazon add your stuff that you're kind of thinking about to your, cart save it for. Later amazon highlights anything on sale with a red. Banner that's number. One super easy way to look for things that are on. Sale number. Two you might miss this because it's new And amazon's not really, advertising but when you look at an, item there is now a price history link next to the price, tag so you might miss. It it's so, simple it's so, small it's right. There you tap. It that will bring up their price history chart for the past thirty, days and that's a lot of good information for helping you make a. Purchase if the link is not, there look for the ask rufus or the Rufous ai. Icon tap that and just type in price history and you'll see a thirty to ninety day chart of the price. History, obviously that can help you determine if it's a good deal or. Not, now if you want to see more complete price, history you can go to a website Called Camel Camel, CAMEL i, know silly, Name camelcamelcamel dot, com take An AMAZON, url paste it. In it will give you a whole bunch of information about pricing, history more than you probably. Need but, Again i'm giving you everything THAT i use WHEN i research products to. Buy, now if you want that price history always on Your amazon, pages there is a browser extension you can. Install it's called a K. Eepa you can install that on your web browser and Every amazon page that you, visit there will be a big old chart in the middle of the page that gives you price, history tracking, information, dates, variations so many. Things you will not believe. It it's a NERD's paradise of. Information, again that's called keep. A and then you have that new feature through ROOFUS ai That's AMAZON'S. Ai you can actually Tell AMAZON'S ai on the mobile app to alert you to price, drops or you can even have it purchase the item automatically for you.
Speaker 2: When the price drops to a price that's right for. You price is.
Speaker 1: RIGHT i love it all. Right Now apple. Products apple does not discount its. Products we know that if you go into An apple, store you're gonna pay full price for pretty much any product, there but third party sites do. Discount and the way you find that two. Ways number one the Mac Rumors Buyer's. GUIDE i love this to tell me if it's a good time to buy An apple. Product it gives a rec commending of a recommendation of buy neutral or. Weight Apple Insider Price guides shows the lowest current prices across major. Retailers so IF i go there right, Now Apple Insider Price. Guides, okay let's just Say i'm looking for a new eleven inch iPad AIR m. Three IF i go to The Apple, Store i'm gonna pay five hundred ninety nine. Dollars IF i go to Best, Buy i'm gonna pay five hundred ninety nine. Dollars IF i go To, Amazon i'm gonna pay five hundred. DOLLARS i just save myself ninety nine dollars just by checking this website that's Called Apple Insider Price.
Speaker 2: Guides let's see what.
Speaker 1: Else, oh don't forget About apple tradings that can also get you some money towards your next device.
Speaker 2: Deals When i'm.
Speaker 1: Looking for, deals there are two WEBSITES i check on a regular. Basis one of THEM i check every single day that is Slick deals slickdeals dot. Net you go to that website and it is crowdsourced. Deals so basically anyone in the universe well that has An internet connection can go on this website and, say, HEY i found a deal. Online they post the link to that. Website other people take a look at those deals and they vote up the best. Ones so it's like a discussion of the best shoppers in the world over whether this is a good, product whether that's a good, deal and why it's a good. Deal so if there is a deal on a, product chances are Slick deals has. It right, Now i'm looking at The nintendo switch to console With Mario Kart world four hundred and five dollars typically five. Hundred you're not even gonna know about that unless you went to Slick deals or maybefunt target dot. Com so Slick deals is, great has stuff on you, know, gadgets, clothing whatever you.
Speaker 2: Want Deal news a little bit.
Speaker 1: Different they use editors to find the, savings so it's a slightly different way of doing, things but you, know gets you to the same, place all, right coupon. Codes if you want a promo code for a, WEBSITE i do not search online at all for. Them you will not find good working coupon codes if you just go On google. It maybe you, will but nine times out of ten you're sitting there for an hour trying different. Codes here's the website THAT i go, to simply codes dot. Com that's the only WEBSITE i go to to check for promo. Codes, NOW i will tell you you may go there and not find a code for the. Website, say, rich what are you talking. ABOUT i just went. There there's no codes for my. Website that means that website probably doesn't have a working promo. Code there is so much data on this website it is fantastic simply coodes dot. Com, now if there is no discount on the thing that you want to, buy there is another tactic for getting a, discount and that is to buy a discounted gift card from the retailer that you're purchasing. From because what happens is grandma gives the kid a gift, card the kid, goes, Eh i'd rather have, Cash so that fifty dollars gift card That grandma just gave. Him the kid is willing to sell it to these, websites these retail THESE i guess gift card reseller websites at a discount and then they will resell it to you at a slightly higher. Cost so let's SAY i sell my fifty dollars gift card for forty then the gift card website sells it to me for forty.
Speaker 2: Two they just made two.
Speaker 1: DOLLARS i made fifty, dollars and then the new person has a fifty dollars gift card for forty two, Dollars so everyone wins in that. Scenario the website THAT i, check and this actually came from a listener a while, ago cardbear dot. Com cardbear dot com lists all it's like an aggregator. Website so if you want to target gift card right, now ten percent, off that's a. Rarity and they list all the different retailers that are selling gift cards and how much the discount. Is so it's almost like a comparison shopping site to all these different gift card. Retailers the difference is you have to be. Careful number, one make sure it's. Reliable i've used card, Cash i've had great luck with. Them read the fine. Print some gift cards that you buy only work, online some only work in, store some.
Speaker 2: Work in both.
Speaker 1: Places so be very careful because you're not returning these gift cards once you buy. Them and don't make the MISTAKE i. MADE i bought a gift card THINKING i could buy another gift card with it to sort of hack the. System and oh, no they. Know they, say, uh you can't do. That, Rich, well then address me by, name but basically they didn't let me do. It let's see what? Else what AM i looking for? Here what else DO i want to tell you? About how much longer do we?
Speaker 2: Have we?
Speaker 1: Got let's, see it's, okay we got two, minutes all, Right so let me tell you about two other. Websites if you're a credit card, user you've got AN, amx A, chase A city. Card they have these things called offers that you have to add to your card and you will get a discount at a. Retailer, right, so maybe you're going to Best buy and they're, saying, hey if you spend one hundred dollars the Best, buy we'll give you five dollars on a statement. Credit, well you have to activate each one of those independently. Online it's a, pain and they know most people don't do, it so most people lose out on these. Counts but there are two websites that can help you activate all of these offers. Automatically as soon as you visit your credit card, company you log, In i'll, say, hey do you want us to activate all your offers at.
Speaker 2: Once.
Speaker 1: Yes they are called Card pointers cardpointers dot. Com and the other one is save Wise get savewise dot. Com, NOW i will tell you you have to have a pro or a paid membership to get the auto, activation but the paid membership is not that expensive and you'll probably make back that money if you use a couple of these offers throughout the. Year, now you can use both of these websites for. Free you just don't get the auto. Activation you could still do a lot of stuff with. Them but if you want that auto, activate you have to pay for this. Service So i'm just telling you that out, upfront but it is pretty. Awesome and then when you're out of. Store both of these websites have an app, where let's say you're Inside, macy's you can search in the App. Macy's it will tell you which of your cards not only is the best to use to get the most points and things like, that And i'll play those, games but it will tell you which of your cards has an offer that you can then charge on that card and get that. OFFER i personally, USE i prefer my debit card unless my card is leaving my. Hand just remember, that So i'm not trying to get you into any credit card debt over.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 1: Uh and then, finally if you want to use a virtual, card there's a great website called privacy dot. Com this generates one time use virtual card. Numbers you have to link your your bank. Account but if you're signing up for some sort of free trial or something and you know you're gonna, forget privacy dot com will do it all. RIGHT i will link all of this up on the website rich On tech DOT.
Speaker 2: Tv check it.
Speaker 1: Out it is my ultimate holiday shopping cheat. Sheet your call's coming up. Next this is rich On. Tech welcome back to Rich On. Tech Rich DeMuro here hanging out with. You phone lines are open eight eight eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one full house.
Speaker 2: Here today we Got. Bobo bobo has a new.
Speaker 1: Baby, okay, well you know, what We're bobo still figuring out the board after being gone for a couple of.
Speaker 2: Weeks we'll get To bobo in a.
Speaker 1: Minute let's go To bonnie In, Charleston South, Carolina line. Four, bonnie you're on With. Rich Why?
Speaker 5: Rich you helped me? BEFORE i hope you can help my.
Speaker 2: Husband, Okay, well what does he help?
Speaker 5: With, okay he's going to be eighty. Six he has been handwriting a fantasy adventure. Novel he'd like to finish. It, yeah of, course it's getting a little, difficult and so we're looking for a program that he can use on his iPad where he can dictate and it might do some spell check and a little. Punctuation it doesn't have to be, perfect but something that's a little easier for him to actually dictate into the program and maybe even go back and erase some things and put things back. In is there anything like?
Speaker 1: That, absolutely there are a lot of programs like. That the, one the one That i'm using THAT i love the, most is Called Whisper. Flow and this is going to change his. Life when he tries, this will he will not believe how good this. IS i don't even type on my computer. ANYMORE i do my newsletter with. THIS i do almost every email with. This this is HOW i interact with my computer and my. Phone by the, way so this works on the. iPhone this works on The, android Not android, YET i wish it. Did this works on, iPhone this works On, max and this works On.
Speaker 2: Windows and he.
Speaker 5: Can use it on his, iPad right iPad of? Course, okay, great whisper flow is it very?
Speaker 2: Expensive so that's the.
Speaker 1: Thing so you're gonna get you're going to get a you know you're gonna get LIKE i think it's two thousand words before they want to charge.
Speaker 2: You but it's twelve dollars a.
Speaker 5: Month so, okay, no, hey listen at eighty. Six that pays a lot of.
Speaker 1: Time do you Think And i'm not kidding you will not your, husband you will not. Believe this is HOW i also interact to my. Phone now there's another one you can download as. Well it's Called willow W i l l ow Willow voice dot. Com so whisperflow DOT ai and Willow voice dot com those are the two that you should look at and. See now there's built, in, uh there's built in ways of doing this on the.
Speaker 2: iPad you, know you can use their their, dictation but, uh it's it's just not going to be as.
Speaker 5: Good so, yeah, yeah, yeah and you know he's not real tech. Savvy So, anny good. Help we can get a twelve dollars a. Month that sounds. Great, yeah thank. You you've been a wonderful help you help. Me i'm A i'm a pet portrait artist in h.
Speaker 2: YES i remember. That oh my, GOSH a long time.
Speaker 1: Ago all, Right, Well, BONNIE i HOPE i get a copy of the book when it's, done because, yeah that's That's. Uh you, KNOW i wrote a book a lot long time. Ago and by the, way WHEN i wrote my, book there was no such thing as all these voice to. TEXTS i mean there, was but they were very. Bad so of course you can use the built in. Dictation it's just not going to be as. Good but the beauty OF ai is that there are so many programs that can help you do voice to. Texts at this, point let me just go over a couple more since we have this. Question SO i told you my favorite is whisper. Flow that's going to change your life right. There i've changed so many people's lives with that. Program it is. Unbelievable the second, SORRY i don't know what happened. There the second ONE i mentioned Is Willow, voice and that One i'm testing a little bit. More but here there are so many. Others there's one On iOS called Super whisper Super whisper dot. Com, okay that's another. One and then on The MAC i think this one's Just mac only right, now it is Called monologue M o N o L o g U E monologue dot. Two that one is also. Excellent and by the, Way i've tried all these pretty. MUCH i haven't tried these next Two aqua a q u A Aqua voice dot.
Speaker 2: Com and so that's another. One, uh and then there's another one.
Speaker 1: Called Talk Tastic talktastic dot. Com so those are all very viable programs to. Use now if you're looking to do some sort of like memos and things like, that there are two THAT i really. Like one is called Voice notes Voice notes Dot com and the other is Called Whisper Memos whispermemos dot. Com So i'm gonna link all this. UP i put this in my, newsletter and, uh this is all great information to, know SO i will put that all in. There thanks so much for the call, Today. Bonnie do appreciate, it and, uh thank you for calling in. Today eighty eight rich one on. One hang, ON i gotta adjust my phone. HERE i don't know what's happening. Here there we go eighty eight rich ONE o one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero. One all, right we got so much coming up on the. Show this is episode one fifty. One so if you're looking for notes ANYTHING i just, MENTIONED i, KNOW i just gave you so many different.
Speaker 2: APPS i will put that all on the.
Speaker 1: WEBSITE i take very good notes for the, show so just go to the website rich On tech DOT tv episode one fifty, one, uh AND i will put everything, there including that holiday cheat SHEET i just, mentioned plus all of.
Speaker 2: Those talk To tech. STAPs all, right coming, Up i'm gonna tell.
Speaker 1: You about a NEW ev that starts in the mid, twenties and yes it has rolled down, windows but you can actually afford this, thing And i'll tell you what the catches besides the rolldown. Windows you are listening to rich On. Tech welcome back to rich On. Tech Rich DeMuro here hang out with, You talking. Technology triple eight rich ONE o one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one the website rich on Tech DOT. Tv, okay so we've heard this promise before and AFFORDABLE ev, well a startup Named slate is aiming to make one next, year starting in the mid Twenty and the, secret well it's.
Speaker 2: Not really a. Secret they've talked about. This it's called The Blank.
Speaker 1: Slate that's their FIRST ev and it's basically a blank, slate so it doesn't even have a center console. Screen you buy this car and then you add only the things you, want so only comes in one color. Gray so let's talk To Jeff, jablinski head of communications At, slate to learn more about The SLATE.
Speaker 2: Ev so what Is.
Speaker 6: Slate slate is a New american company building vehicles that people can, afford, personalize and.
Speaker 2: Love and what's your first vehicle going to?
Speaker 6: Be so our first vehicle is The Slate, truck which we debuted back In. April we revealed it for the first time after working on it for about three years in. Stealth Slate truck is more than just a pickup. Truck it can also convert into a five seed suv and we think people are going to love. It we've already taken over one hundred thousand reservations from the truck since we.
Speaker 1: Revealed and what's different about this car than every other car that's coming out these?
Speaker 6: Days so like every every car that's coming out these days is too. Expensive the average price of a new car is like fifty thousand. Dollars for used, car it's about over thirty thousand. Dollars right, now people are underwater and car payments and they're not able to make vehicles the way they want.
Speaker 2: To so it's.
Speaker 6: Slate we, said what if we reimagined, it and what if we instead of adding things to be, different we. Subtracted so the blank slate as we call, it single configuration. Vehicle it's AN. Ev we're making them here In, indiana and we are really excited about the fact that you can personalize it after you buy. It so accessorize it from everything from a full vehicle wrap starting around five hundred dollars instead of multiples of, that to adding accessories from wheel, decals lift, kits.
Speaker 2: You name it and you can do. It is the car safe at that?
Speaker 6: Price, Yeah so one of the things that we said was everybody deserves a safe. Vehicle so we've designed it to BE iihs five star top safety.
Speaker 2: Pick we knew that we couldn't compromise on. That and so did you draw in inspiration from like the?
Speaker 1: iPhone like it seems like you've got the blank, slate like you, said but then you add accessories like almost like a case and a screen.
Speaker 2: Protector is there a software play here as well or?
Speaker 6: No so we took inspiration from the automotive world as well as basically everywhere else because we started, from you, know part of the. Pond we started from a blank slate and from a software, perspective we're actually we're.
Speaker 2: Bringing your own.
Speaker 6: Technology so one of the things you noticed right away inside the vehicle is there's no big. Screen people to say enough like rere tired of having a big. Screen so instead we're decoupled from the consumer electronics life cycle and you bring your own. Technology so the blank slate comes to the phone, holder and then you can have accessories like a tablet if you want, to or bring in everything that you.
Speaker 2: Like and it's all.
Speaker 6: Yours there's no, no there's no motive in the vehicle h and basically it's it's whenever level of technology you. Want is there a dashboard oh, yeah, okay, sashboard, yeah, dashboard review camera but basically that's.
Speaker 2: It and what about a?
Speaker 1: Radio, yeah so no, radio so, nothing no entertainment in the car except your OWN.
Speaker 2: Byo.
Speaker 6: Yeah so we looked at what people were actually doing in their, vehicles and so much of what you use for, technology media streaming is already on your, phone so you bring that. In THERE'S usb power so you can charge. It and we offer blue suit as an. Accessory so, yeah but no no radio as standards and.
Speaker 2: So when are you going to get these cars on?
Speaker 6: Roads, yeah so we'll be building vehicles In indiana starting in twenty twenty. Six our reservations opened back In, april and we can produce up to one hundred and fifty thousand of our factory that we re industrializing In.
Speaker 1: Indiana do you think you can actually do? This can you get these cars? Made because there's been so many issues with you, know affordable evs in the past ten. Years everyone says they want to do, it but we haven't seen.
Speaker 6: It so we're building the affordable vehicle that's been promised but never. Delivered and we did that by not saying how can we do this at the lowest, price but by eliminating costly parts of the automotive process that people aren't asking. For, so for, example there's no. Paint it's molded in to the composite panels in the. Vehicle but from that point you can wrap. It that's a savings in the range of hundreds of millions of. Dollars then we can pass right back on to people and hit that price.
Speaker 1: Point tell me about the electric aspect of, this it's how many miles do you get and how do you charge?
Speaker 6: It, yeah so in the fact that it's an ev is almost the least exciting thing about it because of everything else that a slate can. Do we have a fifty two point seven kill what our battery good for about one hundred and fifty miles of. Range if you want more, range we have an available eighty four kill what our. Battery it's good for about two hundred and forty. Miles you can charge it at A tesla supercharger at about one hundred and twenty.
Speaker 1: Kilowatts and it's been, reported you, Know Jeff bezos is a big investor in this.
Speaker 2: Company is this something that's going to be sold On? Amazon? Know what's the deal with The amazon, Connection.
Speaker 6: So No amazon, connection but you will be able to buy it. Online in, fact that's the only way you're going to be able to buy. It then go to slate Dot. Auto we encourage people at the stage to go to our Sleep maker is our. Configurator we've taken that to another level by, saying here's your blank, slate how do you want to wrap?
Speaker 2: It what accessories do you?
Speaker 6: Want and over ten million configurations have already been made in the Slate.
Speaker 2: Maker so from.
Speaker 6: That, POINT i configure it today and then get ready to place an order in the next few.
Speaker 2: Months what are some of the things you can add to? It you said it's. Configurable what are those ten million? Combinations? Seats?
Speaker 6: What, yeah so everything from the suv kits that we. Offer we have a fastback and we have a squareback suv. Kit those are kind of the largest packages that include everything from the roof seats to make that backseat, possible everything from a sticker kit to a full, wrap to everything from heated seats to audio. Options these are all things that we're going to give as accessories once you buy the, truck and that's what we've been seeing people do and DO i install these. Myself you certainly. Can we like to say THAT diy is and SLATE'S, dna so, yes.
Speaker 2: You can do it.
Speaker 6: Yourself and Through Sleeve university is a series of videos that we're, producing we'll.
Speaker 2: Be able to show you exactly how to do. That and what about?
Speaker 6: Repairs so after, repairs we actually just announced a partnership with Repair, palel which is a network of independent service stations all across THE. Us they have about four thousand shops right, now and we're hoping that sleave owners are going to be able to find repair poll locations in their.
Speaker 1: Neighborhoods and you've gotten a bunch of reservations for these. Cars what are the biggest questions people are asking you about?
Speaker 2: This other than when CAN i get?
Speaker 6: THIS i was going to say that's the first question people ask us is how soon CAN i get this in my? Driveway because they're drawn to what we're. Offering but people are asking about and whether they want THE suv kit or if they want the extended range. Battery we've seen it take. Wrate that's actually not one way or the. Other people are telling us they want. Both, YEAH i think what we've, done our commitments of building things in THE us has helped us. Significantly our factory In indiana was formally a printing, press so they never made. Automobiles but we're taking something that existed in the community and we're revitalizing. IT i use the term, reindustrialized but we're turning that printing press into an automobile factory In, Warsaw. Indiana so with that and we're going to be taking From indiana and bringing it.
Speaker 2: To the rest of THE. Us All.
Speaker 1: Right that Was Jeff chablonski with the Startup. Slate the website Is slate dot auto if you want to check it, out but better, yet go to my instagram at rich On. Tech people have been debating the merits of this. Car it has a very interesting, look that's for, sure because it's gray and it's very.
Speaker 2: Minimalistic so you got to check it.
Speaker 1: Out go To instagram at rich On, tech check out the slate ev tell me what you think if you would put this thing in your. Driveway it's definitely a good. IDEA i, MEAN i think we can all use a cheap car like. This WELL i shouldn't say cheap inexpensive car and you only add the things you. Want BUT i think it's really telling that there's no center console. Screen you use your phone for. Everything that's going to take some getting used to for some, people but for others they, say, hey that's What i'm already. Doing all, right let's take a, Question. Tanner you have a question from an. Emailer, yep a.
Speaker 7: Right robert From rich Christ. California Dear, RICH i love the. Show is there a fax machine that can send hard copies over a cell signal or a device that can make a sell signal look like a landline SO i can plug in a traditional fax?
Speaker 1: Machine, okay great. Question there are so many ways to do. THIS i, mean there's really really a lot of ways to do. THIS i, mean, obviously you know what most people are doing with faxes these days are taking a scan on their phone and using an app to send that to a.
Speaker 2: Fax machine on the other.
Speaker 1: End but there's almost no reason for this except maybe in the medical, field where a lot of people still use fax. Machines but, otherwise you, know an email will be just. Fine and EVEN i find a doctor's, offices they'll take an. Email at this, point you just have to ask them for the email. Address so the two, APPS i think you should check. Out e facts obviously has been around. Forever E fax has been around. FOREVER i believe they have a free. Level let's, see, well five, dollars so you may be able to do let's, see can you do any for free at?
Speaker 3: All?
Speaker 1: No, okay, interesting so five dollars if you're doing a. Lot and then there's one called factx. Plus NOW i believe this one has the free level of service so. Basic, yeah so it looks like the basic is six ninety nine, THERE i think there's. Yeah so they have a free plan that comes with ten free pages in. Total so facts dot plus you can sign up and look at the small print and they'll say do you want the free?
Speaker 2: Plan do.
Speaker 1: That the other one THAT i like used to be Called Hello. Facts now it's Called. Dropbox let's See Hello. Facts you can just go to hellofax dot com AND i think it'll oh, yeah you can go to facts dot dropbox dot com and that will do it as. Well And i've used that for a long. Time that one is one of my. Favorites and free you can do five free fax. Pages so That's hello facts Dot. Sorry their websites all over the, Place facts, Dot dropbox dot Com now if you want, to if you want to connect a traditional fax machine to a phone, line you can just get something like AN. UMA O O M. A get a fax. Machine it's got that plug on the. Back what is it, called like THE rj eleven or something like. That you plug the fax machine into THE uma and you can use that to send a fax like you would back in the eighties or. Nineties so great, Question, Robert thanks for calling or emailing From ridgecrest and listening ON KFI am six. Forty all, right more where that came. FROM i see the phone, lines they are loaded. Up we're gonna get some callers coming up next eight eight eight rich ONE o one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero, one and we have the gadget of the. Week stay. Tuned this is Rich on. T welcome back to Rich On. Tech let's go To pat In Apple Valley line.
Speaker 4: Too, pat you're on with Rich, Hey, rich how are you doing? Today doing?
Speaker 2: Great what CAN i help you?
Speaker 4: With? HEY i sent you a message this last WEEK i think it was Like wednesday or, whatever and you gave me some information about some antennis for my travel. Trailer, okay but all the ones you gave me were. MASKED i had to put them on a, mast you, know to put them up or put him in a. Window AND i once bought one from home depot that.
Speaker 1: Went in a.
Speaker 4: Window it didn't work with the. Hoot SO i was just, wondering what do you think about Wind guard three SIXTY g.
Speaker 1: Five, WELL i don't know the wind guard three SIXTY g. Five let me look at it, Though so let's. See so you want something that goes where on top of YOUR.
Speaker 3: Rv?
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah WHEN i was looking at, that it said that you take the old intenna off and you mount it on to where it goes in there because the wires all come up for the for THE.
Speaker 1: Tv and, so, okay you're gonna do this, YOURSELF i planned on. It, no you're gonna have someone do. It, well WHAT i like about this off the bat is that it's Got Wi fi and FIVE g when you pair it with a, router which is pretty. Cool plus it has the over the air antenna, system so it's got everything all in one two hundred. DOLLARS i would have to look at the, reviews but it seems like it would be a pretty. Good oh, wow it's even starlink, compatible so you can put starlink in. THERE i would say for two hundred. Bucks this thing looks like it's pretty. GOOD i don't have any experience with, this but it so far seems like it has everything that you need for AN. Rv so it's gonna be much more of an integrated. Solution you know you're gonna. Be you're gonna have to pay someone probably to install, this and Then i'm guessing is there a monthly? Fee so you've got to you've got to just get the FIVE g service sold. Separately, okay four g, uh but you do get that over the air antenna as, well so you're getting everything all in.
Speaker 2: One what kind of R v were talking?
Speaker 4: ABOUT i can have a travel trailer at twenty six foot travel, trailer.
Speaker 1: Okay and you're trying to, add what's your main priority? Here is at THE tv or is at the internet?
Speaker 4: Signal, Well i'm going to be, retiring hopefully in a couple of, months and my wife AND i want to, travel but right, now we we when we, travel we'd stay at R rv resort somewhere it has power and water and sewer and. Stuff but WHEN i, Retire i'm not going to have the same kind of, cash so we're gonna have to be spending sometimes in in a state campgrounds and stuff that has nothing like boon. DOCKING i guess you would call. It so, okay you, know When i'm, out you, know just part, in you, know in a regular old. Campground you, Know i'd like to be able to you, know maybe turn MY tv on or my wife can send. Pictures, well here's.
Speaker 2: The, THING i, MEAN i THINK i think that this is.
Speaker 1: FINE i think, that to be, HONEST i think that you, know a lot of people are going with the streaming you, know like streaming internet for everything at this. Point so unless you're looking specifically to get over the air channels wherever you're, going which may or may not be the, case it might be easier to do something like A t mobile FIVE g home internet, box and that will be a lot easier because you can set it up everywhere you. Go it's about you, know starts at thirty five dollars a, month so it's not that expensive and it's not going to cost you a lot like. This you're talking this system that you're installing, here you, know and that's just the, antenna the top part that two hundred. Dollars then you've got to get a, gateway a FOUR g or FIVE g gateway if you want that thing to handle the internet. Connection that's another five three fifty to five hundred. Dollars so now you're up to about see three fifty four five about six hundred dollars just for the. Devices then you have to get it. Installed then you got to pay. Monthly so you're getting to a very expensive solution. Here AND i think it might be easier just to go with one of these Home internet boxes that you can just bring anywhere you plug and. Play it's going to pull in a signal and then you can use that as YOUR WiFi for your WHOLE rv and use STREAMING. Tv and there's a ton of free STREAMING tv you can. Watch you don't really have to worry about. THAT i think that's going to be a better solution for. YOU i would start with one of, those BECAUSE i don't know if these, THINGS i don't think they have a contract.
Speaker 2: NECESSARILY i have to check on.
Speaker 1: That but you know you've Got verizon AND T mobile are the two big companies that are pushing these these home, internet these wireless home internet. Boxes SO i THINK i would start with one of, those see how that works out for, you and then if none of that, works THEN i would go to one of these more you, know built in. Solutions but you're you're talking a lot of money to get started with this. Antenna so good, Question, Pat thanks for the. CALL i hope that helps appreciate. It eight eight Eight rich ONE o one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero. One let's go To let's go To matthew And Marietta line. One matthew, There.
Speaker 9: Hi rich have a, question, sure wondering if you know anything about The Frontier communications nationwide.
Speaker 1: Outage i'm looking online at the nationwide outage for Front. Frontier i'm not seeing anything specific From. Frontier they do have a, okay let's see, here so let me put. In The frontier has a help page where you can put in your address and it can tell you if there is an outage in your.
Speaker 2: Area and So i'm looking and let's. See let's Just i'm gonna search real.
Speaker 1: Quick the thing with outages is that they come and, go and you, know they by the time you talk about, them they're already. Back So I'm i'm not seeing a nationally reported outage From, frontier so it could be a local. Thing there's a couple of ways you can. Check number, one there's two. WEBSITES i go to the first well And frontier has their. Own so if you go to A frontier check for service, outages Like frontier's, website you can type in your your physical address and it will tell you if there is a reported outage in your. Area if there's, not it's probably something that's locally happening with your router or with your. Setup so that's number. One then you can go to a website like downdetector dot. Com, now if you go to down, detector it does report That frontier folks are definitely registering some, issues but to be quite, honest it's not a. Lot you're talking like seventy three issues. Today that's not that many, reports SO i would look, there let's see. Here but people are reporting, it so there's Definitely i'm seeing reports of outages In Los, Angeles, Dallas Saint, Louis, Washington, Tampa. Okay and then the other website is down for everyone or just me dot com and they're, saying we're not detecting any problems With frontier right. Now so WHAT i would do is in the, meantime check out for sure That frontier outage. Website check for service outages at your. Address if it is, Out usually they fix these things pretty. Quickly it should tell you what the problem. Is OTHERWISE i would use the hotspot on your phone in the meantime or find some Free Wi fi to get that going. There thanks for the, Call matthew And. MIRIATT i appreciate. It eight eight eight rich one on One more rich On tech come your way right after.
Speaker 2: This welcome back to rich On. Tech Rich demiro here hanging out with, you talking.
Speaker 1: Technology welcome back to the. Show eight eight eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero. One the website for the show is rich On tech dot. Tv ANYTHING i mentioned is linked up on the. Website this is episode one five. One so if you go to the website you're looking for SOMETHING i, mentioned it might be right at the. Top but you can also just tap that magnifying glass type in one five to one and it should bring you right to the show. Notes let me make, sure yes it. Does just making sure WHEN i tell you, SOMETHING i want to make sure it. Works big news this week out Of samsung kind of dropped a bombshell on us a New GALAXY z trifold. Phone so you've seen a lot of these trifoldable phones over In china from companies Like. Huawei Now samsung, says hold my, Beer i've got one. Too so The samsung trifold will launch In korea On december, twelfth but they're promising it here in THE us first quarter of twenty twenty. Six AND i THINK i can say, this BUT i, oh, Gosh NOW i don't know IF i can say, this BUT i think we're gonna see.
Speaker 2: That see, Yes i'm, Sure i'm sure we.
Speaker 1: Will so this folds twice to reveal a full ten inch, display kind of the size of almost an iPad.
Speaker 2: Size and you can have.
Speaker 1: Three phone Screw it's basically like three phone screens side by side when it's fully.
Speaker 2: Open so this is a.
Speaker 1: Beast it's got a two hundred megapixel. Camera the battery life is. ENDURABILITY i think are gonna be the big questions, Here but are you ready for a trifoldable? Phone most people in THE us don't even have a foldable. PHONE i, mean it's like it's like tiny number of people that have a foldable phone here over In, asia much more, popular and so of course Just samsung is, global appealing to a global. Market so we'll see how this does In korea when it rolls, out and then we'll have it here in THE us in the first, quarter probably about twenty five hundred.
Speaker 2: Dollars that's what we're looking at.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 1: Now we also know That apple is coming out with a foldable phone next, year so we don't know for, sure but that's the big. Rumor so we'll see what happens with foldables in THE. Us still not something for me personally THAT i, want BUT i can see the. APPEAL i know there's a lot of. People any any PERSON i know that has one absolutely loves.
Speaker 2: It so it's just not for me.
Speaker 1: PERSONALLY i still like the standard. Phone but you, know as these things get better and more, durable we'll see what. Happens all, Right let's go to line. Three tanya waiting patiently there In Orange. County, tanya how can we help?
Speaker 5: Hi?
Speaker 10: Rich thank you so much for taking my. CALL i feel, like first of, ALL i feel like my course has been asked an answer b it for AND i do apologize for, that BUT i thought it might be a good ask for the holiday discounts some new. Laptops so WHAT Pc windows laptop would you recommend? Please for my husband who's a casual, user a price range between five to eight, hundred has a tech, screen is lightweight about fifteen, inches has a fast. Consciensor it's, quiet meaning no fan. Noise in, ADDITION i don't know whether to get sixteen or thirty two. Gigabytes he will be using it for, emails in our, browsing writing and shaving, documents and viewing. YouTube and just a little, FOOTNOTE i did Purchase adell sixteen inch touch screen laptop Until core. Seven that didn't work. Out the fan would just not shut, down AND i contacted customer service and they weren't able to troubleshoot. It so they'll be going.
Speaker 1: Back, Okay, well at least your question is not. Specific but so here's the. Deal if you want something that does not have fan, noise you want you want what's called a Snap dragon. Processor, Okay so these are the new generation of processors that are much more efficient Because snapdragon is known for their mobile phone processors and now they're applying that same logic to. Laptops so if you want a laptop that is really nice and, quiet you want to look for something That's.
Speaker 2: Snapdragon and what's he going to be doing on.
Speaker 10: This, computer LIKE i, said Just internet browsing, emails, writing saving, documents and dealing you, too.
Speaker 4: Just a casual.
Speaker 2: Okay So snapdragon is going to be completely fine for.
Speaker 4: That.
Speaker 1: Okay so the website That i'm going to Is qualcomm dot com Slash Snapdragon laptops And, Tablets, okay and they've got a. Bunch now here's the, thing the. Touchscreen the first THING i WOULD i would recommend over any tablet out there is The asus Zen book or any.
Speaker 2: Laptop. RATHER i love this.
Speaker 1: Laptop i'm using it personally right. HERE i think it's a fantastic. Laptop for some, reason and this may be just the model that they sent me to, review the ONE i. Have for some, reason they ditched the touch screen on The snapdragon, version so that is something to look. For BUT i think that laptop is really really. Good so that's the number, one the a sus Zen BOOK a. Fourteen. Okay the other laptop That i've personally tested THAT i really like is called THE Hp omnibook five and that one also has A snapdragon and it does have a touch. SCREEN i really like that, One so you've got that one as. Well let me just make sure hold, ON i gotta confirm the touch. Screen you got to confirm with These snapdragons that they have the touch. Screen maybe there's something about it that they don't like it as much or it uses too much. Energy the other one is and this became highly recommended from one of our experts on the, Show Dan ackerman Of. Microcenter a couple months. Ago he said he really likes The Lenovo Idea pad, slim so that's another option. There and then if you want to go with kind of like you, know the best of the, best The Microsoft surface laptops or The Surface pro are going to be really good as. Well so those are the LAPTOPS i would recommend if you if you want that, quiet that quiet, laptop you have to go with A snapdragon because it's just not gonna some of these may not even need a, fan but some of them are just not going to fire up the fan as much because they're just not as power hungry as An intel processor or an AM A md. Processor the other place to look for these. DEALS i know you mentioned it's the, holidays everyone's looking for a laptop. Deal you got to go to slick, deals dot net slash laptop dash. Deals that is WHAT i look, for and this will this will give you all the laptops that people are finding that are excellent. Deals and so you can scroll through there and kind of go through and see what people are saying about these. Laptops the price that you, mentioned so if you wanted something that was like under nine hundred, dollars it sounded, like so you can go in there and filter by nine. Hundred AND i don't know why that filter doesn't work that. Well every TIME i put it in, there it doesn't work as. Well But i'm looking. Here you mentioned the thirty two versus sixteen gigabytes OF. RAM i would always go with MORE ram if you, can BECAUSE ram is what keeps your computer working really fast in the. Moment so the hard, DRIVE i would say one terabyte is going to be good for most. People that is where you store your stuff long, term but short, term THE ram really does all.
Speaker 2: Of the heavy.
Speaker 1: Lifting so the more that you can get in THE ram, department the better the computer is going to be at efficiency and staying cool and processing things. Fast so my computer has thirty two AND i think that works pretty. Well oh oh, gosh wait a, second mine only has twenty. Four i'm. SORRY i THOUGHT i got thirty two last, time BUT i GUESS i. Didn't maybe that's why it's slowing. Down so, yeah, anywhere the thirty two is going to probably be the best bet at this. Point but what your husband's doing on there is not completely memory. Intensive if you told me he was editing videos and photos all the, time, Sure but, again look for those Snap dragon.
Speaker 2: COMPUTERS i think those are going to be the.
Speaker 1: Best and just by the, way when you look at Those, snapdragons there are different levels of The snapdragon. Processor so just like they have the levels of processors for The intel and THE, amd there Are snapdragon. Versions so you've got The SNAPDRAGON, x THE x, plus then you have THE X elite and THE x Two. Elite so again the higher you, know you can just tell by the naming, convention The elite is going to be the. Best THE x two ely is going to be even. Better so just keep in mind those different levels of processors are not all the. Same THE x to ele is not available until next, year so at the top of the line right, now that X alee is going to be the high. End you may not need that for your husband's computer, needs but that's gonna be a pretty pretty good. System thanks for the call, Today. Tanya appreciate that good question during the. Holidays here other big news this, Week, Netflix this is just. Wild netflix is Buying Warner brothers eighty two billion dollar. DEAL i guess they. ARE i don't know. WHATEVER i don't understand the financial parts of, this BUT i guess it's like BETWEEN i don't know how to explain, it but it's seventy two billion to eighty two, billion whatever the numbers work. Out i'm not the numbers, guy but it's a lot of. Money So netflix canna Acquire Warner, Brothers Discovery, STUDIOS, hbo AND Hbo. Max they're gonna Keep Warner brothers operations, intact including its theatrical film. Releases that means they're still gonna put movies out in the. Theaters they're gonna get a ton a ton of, franchises INCLUDING, dc all the superhero, Stuff Harry, Potter, Friends, Sopranos game Of.
Speaker 2: Thrones that's all going Into, Netflix so this is going to be. Wild.
Speaker 1: Now netflix says the merger is going to give consumers more choice with deeper film AND tv catalogs plus continued global. Reach, okay that's what they're. Saying what does it really mean for? Consumers your prices are going. Up netflix is going to cost. More so take Whatever Warner brothers is charging for their streaming, SERVICE Hbo max and add that to the price Of. Netflix that's what you're going to be paying if they mix these two things, together which it sounds, like of course they're probably going to want to. Do the company projects two to three billion dollars in cost savings by year three and expects the deal to be profitable by year.
Speaker 2: Two now what does that. Mean that means people are going to get.
Speaker 1: Cut so anyone that's doing a job at both of these studios is probably going to be looking for a new.
Speaker 4: Job you.
Speaker 1: Know theater, owners according To Hollywood, reporter are already sounding the, alarm saying, that you, Know netflix does not like to put things in.
Speaker 2: Movie, theaters so that's a.
Speaker 1: Problem Uh as for regulatory, SCRUTINY i DON'T i don't see it being a.
Speaker 2: Problem this is gonna slide right, through.
Speaker 1: GUARANTEED i just don't see it being a problem because when you think about something Like Warner, brothers it is an old school company doing things in a very old school. Way netflix is a new school company doing things in a very new school. Way the government's gonna, say, yeah these two can use each. Other so we're probably not going to see a big issue.
Speaker 2: There this is. HUGE i, mean this is this is a.
Speaker 1: Company netflix used to be laughed out of meetings with old school studios Like Warner.
Speaker 2: Brothers now they're buying. Them just think about. That let that settle. In this is rich On. Tech welcome back to Rich On. Tech Rich demiro here.
Speaker 1: Hanging out with, you talking technology At TRIPLE a rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero. One Uh, HOWARD i see you. There we're gonna get you in just a. Moment but FIRST i want to tell you about the one plus, fifteen the gadget of the. Week last, WEEK i was In arizona for a bit with the, family having a little, vacation AND i got a lot of time to test out the one plus. Fifteen this just went, well, Okay so it was delayed in the. Us we talked about. That now pre orders have started because it IS fcc, Certified SO i will tell you this is the most Powerful android PHONE i have ever. Tested it is a screaming fast. PHONE i love. That it also has a huge, battery over seven thousand millionamp. Hours most phones top out around five, thousand So i'm not. Kidding you could, Not. Tanner you helped me test, this so you can tell me about. It you love this, phone didn't? You what was your playing games on?
Speaker 4: It?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: OH i can't hear. You oh, Okay bobo has left the room AND i can't Hear. Tanner, Okay so we're gonna have to get your thoughts on it in a little bit. Now if you're keeping track one plus skip the four fourteen and you know that now they're doing the. Fifteen so it's got this Latest Snapdragon Qualcomms snapdragon, processor so it's really. Fast you can video edit on, it you can game on. It The android, software WHICH i kind of poop pooed last, TIME i actually really, like so that grew on. Me it's got a solid, build high water and dust, resistance no wireless. Charge it does have wireless, charging but no. Magnets so if you wanted to get like the magnetic accessories on the, back you would have to get a case that has. Magnets the other thing you need to know about this is that it doesn't have some of these safety features That i've really grown to, love which is satellite messaging and car crash. Detection so those are two things That i've really liked that this does not. Have but, otherwise the biggest downside to this phone is really the. Camera it is excellent when it.
Speaker 2: Works.
Speaker 1: It you, know sometimes the camera is just, amazing but other times it's just hit or. Miss and so that's my only downside to this phone is LIKE i want a phone in my pocket THAT i can trust every single, time and this ONE i JUST i love it for the powerful nature of, it BUT i don't trust the.
Speaker 2: Camera. Tanner, okay, Now bobo's back. Up so you tried. This you played all kinds of games on this, thing, Right.
Speaker 7: Yeah SO i downloaded a lot of games on that phone on the app, store AND i will say it's like a great gaming, Phone like there's no, lag which.
Speaker 2: Is like it's like.
Speaker 11: Good.
Speaker 2: Yeah in the battery, life the battery life.
Speaker 7: Literally in the car when we were on our road trip, THERE i was playing a game for like one hour straight and the battery only went down by like three percent and didn't even have low power mode, on WHICH i thought was like.
Speaker 2: Insane like how what about the what did it get? Hot did it heat up a lot or?
Speaker 7: Not so ACTUALLY i was pretty surprised because in the, CAR i was in direct, sunlight and in the hotel room WHEN i was playing sometimes the battery like or, no it didn't get, hot nothing got. Hot only WHEN i was on it for like a little longer than an hour it would have gone it like did get.
Speaker 2: Hot but the battery life is. Awesome the battery life.
Speaker 1: Is LIKE i don't even get how it, stays like, yeah eight hundred ninety nine dollars for the one plus. Fifteen they're given anyone basically one hundred dollars off if you trade in any phone in any.
Speaker 2: Condition so that's pretty.
Speaker 1: Good but, again if you just want a, phone like if the camera is not your top priority and you want like one of the Best android, devices and you can look past that whole like you, know satellite messaging and the car crash, detection you, know this is a really really nice.
Speaker 2: Phone so one plus. Fifteen there you have.
Speaker 7: It.
Speaker 1: Okay The gadget of the week is sponsored by Shop, back And i've gotten a lot of messages from you about shop. Back raquel wrote, In Hey, RICH i want to let you know how Much i'm Enjoying. Shopback i've only used it On amazon so far And i've already earned more than forty four. Dollars it was really easy to report and the money shows up. Fast thanks again and happy, holidays Said, Hey, RICH i got my money from shopback. Today thanks for the referral code thirty eight. Dollars so if you want to get paid for your holiday, shopping cash back apps are hitting seven billion dollars this. Year seventy six percent of shoppers now prefer mobile, rewards so if you're not using, one you are leaving money on the. Table Shop back is the FIRST us app to Offer, zara and then the only major app that works On, amazon like we just talked. About so download the app or visit the website to see all the current holiday deals running Through. December they boost a lot of their cash back opportunities throughout the, month so whether you're buying tech, gifts, clothes home, goods whatever you can earn cash back, automatically and it's real. CASH i just cashed out some. Myself it goes right To. PayPal it's not, Points so think about. It set it up now before all of this holiday shopping season is. Over it takes two. Minutes you're earning on everything you. Buy new users will get a twenty dollars bonus code with code rich On. Tech so go to shopback dot com S H, O P B a C k dot com or app dot shopback dot com SLASH, usa slash, partner slash rich On. Tech so just basically go to shopback dot com put in that uh that rich On tech code to get your bonus money works at five thousand. Stores takes two minutes to set up that shopback dot. Com all, right what?
Speaker 2: Else? OH i gotta tell you about, This. Howard we're gonna have to get to you after the. Break.
Speaker 1: HERE i gotta tell you about, this THE Ai santa. Photo if you go to My, instagram you will see THAT i have a picture of me With santa that is completely.
Speaker 2: Fake it looks like this picture was taken in.
Speaker 4: You, know my.
Speaker 2: Childhood it was.
Speaker 1: NOT i Used Google's Nano banana to make this. Picture, tanner take a look at this. Picture tell me how real it. Looks you tell me if this picture would fool. You if if you saw that, picture would you Think i'm sitting On santa's?
Speaker 4: Lap?
Speaker 7: Uh, yeah like that looks so. Real but like when you showed me in the, MORNING i literally thought it was. Real but now when he showed me it was. Fake it's just like, Gay it's really.
Speaker 1: Good all, Right go to My instagram at rich On tech AND i give you the exact prompt you need to make your own fake Mall santa photo that will fool.
Speaker 2: Everyone this is rich On. Tech welcome back to rich On.
Speaker 1: Tech Rich DeMuro here hanging out with, you talking. Technology the phone lines are open eight eight eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero. One we will get to more calls after. This the website is also an. Option you can submit your question. There just go to rich On tech dot tv hit. Contact you can send your message that. Way, yes it will reach my. Inbox joining me, Now Eli, singer author Of offline Dot, now a practical guide to healthy digital. Balance, Eli welcome to the, Show.
Speaker 9: Happy to be, Here thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: So first, off tell me what offline dot now is all.
Speaker 9: About, Right so we're the first platform on the web here to help people find digital balance in their, lives find, it maintain, it improve their relationships with the screens in their.
Speaker 2: Lives do you think people have a good relationship with?
Speaker 9: Screens you, KNOW i think that most people fifty percent Of americans will say that they are addicted to their, screens but only seven percent are. Clinical SO i think people are motivated to make some changes in their.
Speaker 1: Lives what's the difference between saying you're addicted and clinical?
Speaker 2: Addiction you, know.
Speaker 9: Everyone in their life has what they're doing with their, time what they want to be spending, doing and you know how they are actually spending their. Time and so people might say them myself Like i'm using my phone too much When i'm with my, partner When i'm at the dinner, table When i'm with my. Kids MAYBE i might want to make a change. There so you, know whether it's addiction or, not it's just if you perceive that you should be using your time, differently you want to make a, Change we want to help you get.
Speaker 1: There so what you've got this three minute self? Assessment what's that all? About, sure it's just asking people two really simple. Questions how motivated are you to make that change on a scale of one to, six and how self confident are you and your ability to make that change when you want? To and that could be putting the phone down when you're doom scrolling and you want to go to, bed or you, know focusing on your studing whatever that. Is but that drops you into one of four types, overwhelmed, stuck, ready or. Unconcerned and each one of those types gives you a starting place for changing your phone. Habits so it kind of when changing habits is, hard starting in the right place is. Key and that's what we help people. Do can you give us one sort of like one morning habit that WILL i, mean doom scrolling is pretty common with, everyone you, know whatever it, is whether It's, TikTok whether it's you, know used to Be twitter all the time now IT'S.
Speaker 2: X i, mean Even, instagram you can do the same.
Speaker 1: THING i, MEAN i think doom scroll just in general means like to, me it means you're just scrolling all the, time, aimlessly not, necessarily you're just stuck.
Speaker 9: In it could be a dating, app it could Be, amazon it could be, shopping it doesn't. Matter it could be digital goods for a game you love to. Play it's just getting stuck in that. Loop and so what can you give me a habit that can help us stop?
Speaker 4: That you? KNOW i mean you said in the.
Speaker 9: Morning the morning is, critical right because it sets the tone for the whole. Day and if you're getting up and using your phone within the first fifteen minutes of getting, up you're training your brain to be in emergency. Mode you're giving it a dopamine hit first thing in the, morning before it even is a wake and that sets kind of the tone that you're going to spend your day running and setting out.
Speaker 2: Fire so if you can get, up have a glass of, water get some fresh.
Speaker 9: Air if it could be really, hard maybe maybe wait five, minutes best to wait fifteen if you. Can but you'll notice that your day is different if you can give yourself a little bit of a break before you get.
Speaker 1: STARTED i, mean that is really, tough because it's just one of those things where it's it's. Habit people literally wake, up And i'll be, HONEST i do the same. Thing you wake, up you literally roll over and you pick up your.
Speaker 2: Phone that's what you. Do that is WHAT i would.
Speaker 1: Say Now i'd be curious to Maybe i'll do a poll on My instagram to see what people. Say but, LIKE i feel like that's what the reality is for a lot Of, americans where you just get up and you look at your.
Speaker 2: Phone, YEAH i, meant get let's get real about.
Speaker 9: THIS i, mean it's not habit. Change like habit change is hard to begin with starting to go to the, gym quitting, smoking for, sure but then you've got this intimate relationship with your. Phone you sleep with, it use it in the, bathroom it's all over your commute every. Minute you're used to taking out hundreds of times a, day and people are having intimate conversations WITH ai with like so it's really, personal and changing an intimate relationship like that is even. Harder which is why you, know using rule based approaches or you, know like giving yourselves, ultimatums it's not necessarily setting yourself up for.
Speaker 1: Success this really resonates with me. Now some people will, say you, KNOW i need to be. On i'm a high, Performer i'm, working my job depends on. IT i need to be on twenty four to. Seven i've started to see some of these little emails THAT i get from people that, says, hey our work hours may be, different don't expect to reply for me at these times at those. Times so maybe they've already read your. Book but what do you think about? Boundaries will they actually work for people that feel like they need to be on twenty four to?
Speaker 2: Seven you, know people that are.
Speaker 9: High performers know that delivering that, product whatever it, is requires time and brain power and, attention and sometimes high performers have a real challenge carving out the time to get focused and do what they need to. Do boundaries are, important you, Know boundaries on your, phone boundaries on your work on you know your co, workers are about time for. Yourself so maybe maybe your phone needs to have office. Hours you, know and your phone likes to tell you everything is, important. Right it's always going to tell you pick me up right. Now and the apps also want tons of, attention so you need to manage that phone otherwise it's going to manage. You and you, KNOW i just want to jump. In this is not about being anti. Tech this is not saying break up with your, phone you shouldn't be using. It it's about being conscious about the relationships with your device in your, life and if you don't manage, it it will manage.
Speaker 1: You, yeah AND i do think we are going to Have you, know when when technology came, out everyone was a, cheerleader, right, like including all the journalists and all the people that were promoting. Technology it was we were excited because it did things that we've never seen.
Speaker 2: Before.
Speaker 1: Right it starts the whole internet for anything you want in, seconds, information, music it's all. VIDEO i, mean it's all kind of come down this. Pipe but now we're getting to the point where people are starting to, Realize, wait hold, on who's in charge? Here AM i still in? Charge or is this little device that vibrates on my wrist every ten? Seconds like you, said everything's? IMPORTANT i just got a, DoorDash, like, Hey, rich it's been a while since you open the, app, Right, like that's not. Important that should not be ringing my wrist in the middle of a conversation on a national radio.
Speaker 9: Show the early days of the, web when we fell in love AND i had an early social media, agency, like it was about, community bringing people, together doing things that could never have been done, before democratizing, media you, know connecting communities and people with similar interests across the. World but then it shifted from community building to attention, harvesting and the business model became monetizing that, attention and so training you and these apps train you to give them your. Attention and SO i think people are now becoming consciously aware of. That and there's behavioral research that's longitudinally about the damage. There so you, know people can make these changes in their. Lives they have, agency it just takes time and. Effort tell me about The, sundays the reset. DAY i think that you're saying that that's a good day for a. RESET i like to think Of sundays as LIKE i try not to be on my computer or phone as.
Speaker 2: Much how can that help?
Speaker 1: Us?
Speaker 9: Right, so we've been taking this assessment the offline Now matrix on our. Site hundreds of people have given it to, us so we know their, motivation, confidence time of, day day of. Week sunday is the highest day FOR. Ready sunday is the day where people believe they can make all those changes in their lives that they want to. Make and on the highest times for ready are weekdays from like five to nine pm and a little bit in the. Morning So, sunday sit down with, yourself your, partner your. Kids think about what kind of experiments you want to try during the week to change. Things kind, experiments think about ones that you can do between five to eight, pm and then give it a. Shot see how you. Do and it's not about success or. Failure what did you learn from those. Experiments but my advice start with stuff that's really small that you can guarantee you're going to be successful up because at the, beginning it's not about changing that. Relationship it's about building your confidence that you can do it, right bit by.
Speaker 1: Bit AND i love you know you mentioned also low tech, swaps you, know LIKE i really AND i know kindle is still high, tech BUT i love reading on My kindle because it's not an iPad and it's not my, phone which have the same type of.
Speaker 2: Screen The kindle to me is like a.
Speaker 1: Book AND i REALLY i find that WHEN i do stuff like, that WHEN i kind of disconnect and just read it, all it's just it's so weird how in today's day and, age that feels like you're doing something so good for, yourself, right something as simple as just reading a.
Speaker 2: Book i'm totally with.
Speaker 9: You you, Know i'm a high tech.
Speaker 2: GUY i love.
Speaker 9: MUSIC i GOT. Adhd some music is like what gets my brain fired. Up SO i bought myself a high resolution music. PLAYER i get up in the morning AND i can crank up the tunes without having to use my phone to give me my, music which will give which will take me in a whole other. Direction so that's one thing you can. Do but the trick is to figure out what gets you. Excited what is that skill you want to, learn that habit you want to, learn that thing you love to do that you want to bring. Back are you doom scrolling.
Speaker 2: In the couch and you love to.
Speaker 9: Sketch make sure that there's a sketchbook with a bunch of pencils on the on the, countertop and you, know maybe just put the phone down for one minute and do a tiny doodle and then pick that phone back, up, like don't make it. Existential but after two weeks you might have like thirty forty drawings and you're, like, Oh i'm good at, this and it's not a one minute break. Anymore it's like a twenty five minute.
Speaker 2: Thing like that's. Cool, yeah put that puzzle on the counter, too or on the table and start doing.
Speaker 4: That the.
Speaker 1: Book the website is offline dot, now so offline dot. Now the book is offline dot, now A Practical guide To Healthy Digital. Balance you can find it On. Amazon Eli, singer thanks so much for joining me. Today really interesting insights. Here fabulous to be.
Speaker 4: Here thank you so. Much you take.
Speaker 1: Care all, right let's check check it. Out it's offline dot now is the. Website if you want to take the, quiz put the link on my. Website Rich On tech DOT. Tv all, right we do have phone lines. Open eighty eight rich ONE o one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero. One you got a tech, question you need help with a, gift give me a. Call we'll get to you next right here on Rich On.
Speaker 2: Tech welcome back to Rich On.
Speaker 1: Tech all, right uh eighty eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero.
Speaker 2: One howard In fullerton has been waiting. Patiently. Howard you are on with rich all, right Rich see.
Speaker 3: Years, ago PROBABLY i don't, know thirteen years, AGO i was at a yard sale AND i bought probably four different sets of nineteen Nineties vienticha stereo.
Speaker 2: Equipment Then Harment carton you, know the.
Speaker 3: Equalizer tape, DECKS cd, players, receivers all, That AND i have A windows seven laptop THAT i DON'T i don't use it on the internet, anymore BUT i have about fifteen, hundred fourteen hundred songs THAT i had downloaded back in the nineties from a. WEBSITE i won't.
Speaker 2: Mention is it rhyme with?
Speaker 12: Trapster you got?
Speaker 4: It?
Speaker 11: Okay, ANYWAY i don't think they're going to come after you at this, point but, okay, well never, know never, know that's true, anyways you, know with, all with all PLUS.
Speaker 3: I, have you, know like a couple hundred cassette tapes and a couple hundred. CDs i downloaded all the music onto.
Speaker 10: A usb drive just to be on the safe.
Speaker 4: Side BUT.
Speaker 3: I had been playing the music off the laptop onto some nice stereo, speakers you, know the small ones with little bass and and all.
Speaker 4: That but you, know it's not real.
Speaker 3: Great BUT i wanted to see IF i could connect my laptop to my old school. Stereos And i've looked on the internet And i've seen a few different you, know things you can, do but it doesn't really say which one gives.
Speaker 4: You the best.
Speaker 3: Quality the best, sound AND i was wondering if you'd give me some insight on.
Speaker 1: That, okay, well there's a lot of ways you can do, this, obviously there's so. MANY i, mean there's you, know you can Connect sonos to these. Things you can do you, know there's a new thing that just came out out Of. Sweden let's see. Here it is the MY i haven't gotten it, yet but they just they're sending one to me to test. Out it's The atonamo Stream. Player and this is sort of a little box that connects your, products like you're talking. About so it's like an audio streaming device that you can pair and you, know connect speakers. Wirelessly you can plug in via cable to your speaker and then connect it to your home.
Speaker 2: Network but that that one is more Like.
Speaker 1: Google it has all the different things built in Like, Spotify Title, Connect Google Cast, airplay which you could then use from your laptop to the device and the device would connect to your. Speaker so that's one way of going. About But i've not tested, it SO i can't tell you how good it. Is but that's about one hundred. Dollars the thing THAT i think is probably going to be the best for what you need is called the whim wiim and this is a device that is basically meant to do what you're talking. About so they have so many if you go to their website whim home Wiim, home they have so many little devices here that will do pretty much what you. Need and it's kind of like that that RECEIVER i just, mentioned but it's got a lot of inputs on the, back so you can connect your computer if you want your. Laptop but again it Does, Spotify, Airplay alexa, Cast, Title Google, cast and some. Others so once you connect these to your, system you, know you would basically connect your, system set it up however you, want your old school, system and then you would connect one of these little devices to, it and then your computer would connect to this device in any. Way you can connect to hard, cable or you can connect via all these different. Services the whim if you look on the back of it has all the different sort of inputs and outputs that you.
Speaker 2: Need i'm looking at the streamcast. ONE i got to.
Speaker 1: See let me see if that one says what kind of. Connections it HAS USB c power. Input it's got analog, output so as long as you could use that analog output to your your.
Speaker 2: Stereos you'd be able to use one of.
Speaker 1: These this one's ninety nine. Dollars that one's brand new just is coming. Out the Whim i'm looking at is one hundred and fifty. Dollars so AND i have had PEOPLE i haven't personally used, this But i've had other people that have told me that they, have and they wrote in on the show and they said they love. It so the other option is A. Sonos they used to make a device that would allow you to connect old school, systems AND i don't know if they do that. Anymore let's see if they still make those. Components let's. See, okay they. Do so they've got what's called THE poor which is The Network Audio, streamer and so that's a similar product to WHAT i was just talking about From, sonos and that will connect your stereo system into The sonos. System and so the difference there is that this is more for someone who wants to Use sono speakers instead of you, know the system that you're talking. About SO i probably recommend that that's five hundred, dollars but it's just another. Option it, says bring The sono's experience to your existing stereo or receiver and enjoy endless possibilities for multi room. Listening so you connect this port to your you, know traditional audio, equipment and then you stream all that stuff to Your sono. Speaker so that's if you're going to go The sonos. Route but, again as you can See, howard there are so many ways to do, this BUT i think what you want to do is probably check out the whim, first see if that's going to do. It if, not if you want to take a chance on this new thing From, sweden you can then check out this, uh you, know this stream player and see if that does what you. Need i'm trying to look and see what the connections are on the back and let's see IF i can see this. Thing, yeah SINCE i haven't really tested it just, YET i can't give you all the, details but it looks like just off the top of my head here the whim has much more connection, options whereas the stream player has just that three point five millimeter analog and it says.
Speaker 2: Output so there you, go. Easy. Easy the other thing you can, do by the, way you can.
Speaker 1: UPLOAD i don't know why nobody knows, this but you can literally go to music dot YouTube dot. Com ANY mp three's or music that you, have you can just drag onto that page and it will put them into a cloud. Library AND i don't, think as far AS i, Know google makes any judgments on where these files came. From but once you have them in that music dot YouTube dot, com you can download the YouTube music app on your phone and now you can play all your music from the.
Speaker 2: Cloud it's so.
Speaker 1: Easy coming, Up i'll tell you how to thank Your amazon driver with five bucks at no cost to.
Speaker 2: You this is rich On.
Speaker 1: Tech welcome back to another hour Of rich On. Tech my name is Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you talking. Technology triple eight rich ONE o one eight eight eight seven four to two four one one zero. One coming up this, hour we've got the founder AND ceo of Low tai to talk all about deep fake. Technology, yeah you've probably seen those videos online From. Sora it is getting really tough to figure out what's real and what's. Not amazon's thank My driver is. Back if you want to tip your driver five, dollars all you have to do is Say, alexa thank my, driver WHICH i probably just did for your, speaker so thank, me or you can type in on The amazon app or website thank my, driver and look for the link up at the. Top amazon is going to give your driver a five dollars payment at no cost to.
Speaker 2: You this does not cost you.
Speaker 1: Anything the promo runs until two million thank yous are, sent which this just started a couple of days.
Speaker 2: AGO i would imagine it does not take very long for this to get. Through two.
Speaker 1: Million program runs Through december thirty. First even after those two, million they shift to a daily one hundred dollars. Award so you should still thank your driver because the drivers that get the most thanks get put in a little raffle for one hundred bucks and then you, know so it still. Helps the feature first launched in twenty twenty. Two it is logged more than forty six million thank. YOUS i did test it on My alexa and here's what happens when you, Say, alexa thank my, Driver glad you enjoyed your most recent delivery since you shared your.
Speaker 6: Appreciation with your driver as a special thanks, though was even extra five dollars at no cost to.
Speaker 4: You this promotion is for a limited time.
Speaker 1: Only there you go pretty. COOL i MEAN i do it every year if you want to see that. Information it's on My instagram at rich On. Tech all, right we've got a caller. Here let's go To john And. Nevada, john you're on with Rich Oh, John, sorry, OKAY i gotta, say, Okay. Nevada thank. You. OKAY i know we had we just had this conversation the other day about the whole pronunciation Of nevada Versus. Nevada do you do people in your state believe.
Speaker 2: That to be like an?
Speaker 12: Issue, well it depends if you're A california. Transplant, no if you're a fourth Generation nevada.
Speaker 2: And like, me, yes, okay, OKAY i thought.
Speaker 1: So so you've got this influx of people coming in from all, over Mostly, california and they're all.
Speaker 2: Pronouncing it wrong. Basically. Yeah, interesting all.
Speaker 1: Right Well i'll try To i'll try to fix, that but, UH i will be honest for my whole. LIFE i Said, nevada and NOW i need to Say. Nevada, No. NEVADA i got it. Backwards nevada is the right, pronunciation?
Speaker 12: Correct, okay got?
Speaker 3: It all?
Speaker 1: Right, well says we can't figure that. Out let's get to your. Question maybe we could figure that.
Speaker 12: Out, well it's it's a quick question for. You the best ADVICE i got from your predecessor was AFTER i, RETIRED i didn't need a computer, anymore a desktop or a, laptop and he pointed me towards get A. Chromebook and it has been absolutely done EVERYTHING i needed it to. DO i, MEAN i didn't have to do any high powered spreadsheets or presentations or anything like. That my question is is there a lifespan on The. CHROMEBOOK i seem to recall somebody saying something.
Speaker 1: About that there, is and you can check so on Your. Yeah So google actually extended The chromebook. Updates so the way they do this is they support it with, updates, right and you already know that The chromebook in, general you, know they're not as high powered as you know your typical laptops out. There but what they do is they're very secure and they stay safe because there's really no. Virus there's ACTUALLY i don't think there's Any you can't get a virus on A. Chromebook and the software updates are. Automatic they're in the, background so there's no lengthy software updates like. This Whole windows, ten you log On windows eleven and it's, like, hey can you do you mind restarting your. Computer now they tell you how many minutes it's gonna, take which is, nice but you, know it used to be, like, OH i don't really want to restart my computer BECAUSE i have no idea how long it's going to take for this computer to come back to. Life and the other, day by the, WAY i restarted a computer at. Work it just, died like straight up died while it was. Restarting AND i was, like wait. This i'm like looking around for the hidden. Camera i'm, like did this really just happen to? Me and sure ENOUGH i had to call the, engineers which is embarrassing for a tech, guy, Right and that was, like, wait AM i right in? This like, yeah this thing literally died while it was. Restarting so, ANYWAY i tell you all that because there are a couple things to. Know Number, one chromebooks are good for ten years of automatic. Updates, okay so when you get A, chromebook it will last for ten, years, safety security, wise all that kind of. Stuff, NOW i can't say that the physical chromebook is going to last for ten years if you knock it around or. Whatever and also the speed of The, chromebook you, KNOW i can't guarantee it's gonna be perfect after ten, years but they do support them for ten years. Now if you've got a device prior to twenty twenty, one they will still get extended, updates but not every feature will be. Supported So google is really pushing a lot of THESE ai features. Lately if you have an Older, chromebook it may still get all the security, updates it may not get all of the LATEST ai. Updates so just understand that whatever you, buy when you get your Your, chromebook it gets ten years of automatic. Updates And i'm guessing that is from the time that The chromebook is, made not when you buy. It, right if you buy A chromebook that's three years, old you're not going to still get ten.
Speaker 2: Years so here's how you.
Speaker 4: Check.
Speaker 2: John this is where you go on Your chromebook near the. Time you will see.
Speaker 1: Settings, okay so you go to settings and then About CHROME os and then once you go, there you Tap Additional details and in the update schedule section you will see when Your chromebook will receive its last. Update its kind of its final resting, update so it tells you the end. Date it's kind of, sad tells you when This chromebook will. Die so it's not going to die on that, day it's just not going to get any more updates after that. Time so, again settings About Chrome os additional details in the update schedule. Section look at when you'll see Your chromebook will get its final. Update so if you have A, chromebook that's probably something good to check because that will help you plan for a New. Chromebook that, way you're not you, know struggling or scrambling to get a New chromebook right off the bat as soon as you need. It, Okay so that's a great, Question. JOHN i know you said it was a simple, question but that was a good. Question thanks for the call today From let's see IF i can get it Right. Nevada DID i get it?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: Tanner? YES i.
Speaker 1: Did, okay this is a big. Story if you're like me back in the, day you always bought. Memory if you're a computer you know extra. Well, micron one of the companies that makes a lot of, it is shutting. Down it's crucial consumer. Business after nearly thirty, years you've probably bought crucial ram if you are building a computer or. Whatever they are exiting the consumer side of. Business they're going to continue shipping stuff through the end Of february twenty twenty, six they will still honor their warranty for existing, products and they're still going to sell stuff to enterprise. Customers they, SAY ai is just is just too. Much they can't deal with the demand for their enterprise, customers so they got to cut off the, standard you, know regular. Consumer So crucial has been around for twenty nine. YEARS i think that anyone who's ever built a computer or upgraded their hard their system has looked At. Crucial AND i think the other big player is let's see, Here Crucial. MEMORY i think it's PM, y, right unless there's one That i'm Forgetting, Kingston, Okay kingston's, Big so, YEAH i mean it's that's a that's the end of an.
Speaker 4: Error all.
Speaker 1: Right let's go To tanner with a. Question let me let me see what you got. There you've got, yeah go, ahead let's hear, it all.
Speaker 7: Right So kim From, Bridgewater New, jersey he's, uh she's on the Latest. iOS but WHEN i tap the plus one in My apple, WALLET i don't see any option to add a. Passport is this only available on newer?
Speaker 1: PHONES a good, Question. Kim your phone has to be RUNNING iOS twenty six or. Later so if you want to add this new DIGITAL id That apple has pretty much invented with THE us government to identify, you and it does work THROUGH tsa, checkpoints you can use your passport.
Speaker 2: To create what's called a DIGITAL.
Speaker 1: Id we heard the news that THE tsa is going to start charging folks without a REAL id something like forty five dollars to go through a. Checkpoint so if you have a, passport, yes you can use that as YOUR id to go through all these airports in THE. Us but if if you have an, iPhone you can convert that passport into what's called a DIGITAL id for free and use that AT tsa. Checkpoints now IF i was IF i were, YOU i would not just rely on, that LIKE i would bring your passport as, well just because you never. Know but, yes your phone has to be RUNNING iOS twenty. Six open up the wallet. App, OKAY i can do this right now on my. iPhone i've not created this, yet but if you open up your wallet, app up in the upper right hand, corner it says plus. Sign you tap, that and it says driver's license AND id. Cards you tap, that and right at the top it Says United States DIGITAL. Id and if you live in one of these growing number of, states you can add your driver's license as. Well So, Arizona, California, Colorado, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Maryland, Montana New, Mexico North, Dakota, Ohio Puerto, Rico West, virginia And. Japan you can add your number. CARD i didn't even know what that, was BUT i guess it's kind of like there's so security number or. Something but, Anyway, kim you have to have. That all, right we have time for one more. Quickie, nope we do not okay you?
Speaker 2: Sure, Okay bobo, said we can go all, right quick quick, Quick tan or come.
Speaker 7: On ellison From Los, Angeles, Hi rich love the. Show My Apple watch is about two years old and it still tries to connect to my old. iPhone i just got a new iPhone and it still won't. Pair it doesn't even show up In. Bluetooth any.
Speaker 1: Advice, yes you have to unpair it from your old. Phone you can do that from the, phone the old, phone but you may not have that. Anymore you can do it from the. Watch you cannot pair An Apple watch with Just. Bluetooth you have to go into their. Settings so go into settings on The Apple. Watch you're gonna lose everything unless it was backed. Up go Into, settings go Into, general and then scroll all the way down to where it says. Reset you tap, reset erase all content and. Settings that will get The Apple watch back to. Factory then your new, phone we'll see That Apple watch and you'll be able to repair. It so hopefully you had it backed, up but there's not Real there's not a real lot of data on The Apple watch, anyway so you should be.
Speaker 2: Fine there you.
Speaker 1: Go eighty eight rich one o one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero.
Speaker 2: One coming, up they'll tell you how you can now circle to spot a text message. Scam i'll explain coming up right here on rich On. Tech welcome back to rich On.
Speaker 1: Tech Rich DeMuro here hanging out with, you talking. Technology triple eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero. ONE i don't know about your, workplace but everyone in the newsroom was going nuts over this New spotify wrapped listening.
Speaker 2: Age have you heard about?
Speaker 1: This, Basically spotify at the end of the year they look at all your listening habits on their app and they tell you you know which artists you listen to, most how many minutes you, streamed how many podcasts you listened. To if my podcast showed up on your, wrap thank you for listening to appreciate. That but they added this new thing this year called listening, age and it kind of shows which era you gravitate towards with your songs that you listen. TO i got, twenty SO i am very young with my music. Taste and the funny thing IS i my music taste spans a long like a large. Swath SO i listened to new, STUFF i listen to old. STUFF i listen to, COUNTRY i listen to you, know, rock. Whatever But i'm always looking for like new songs that are really. Good and so that's probably why mine was twenty, anyway so that was. It spotify's top artist this year Was Bad. Bunny top Song died with A. Smile Apple music also had, theirs they call It Apple Music. Replay their top song was apt By rose And Bruno.
Speaker 2: Mars you know a dip but dip then of course you have.
Speaker 1: YouTube they launched their first, recap so that shows your top channels you're, in your viewing, habitet, habits and your personality type based on what you. Watched and, then of, course if you're journaling the App, reflection they gave users a one year recap of their personal themes and. Moments that could be, interesting right if you're journaling all year and it's, like some pretty interesting.
Speaker 2: Moments you had throughout the year, here.
Speaker 1: Honey but the big trend across all these apps is that people love these shareable. Summaries iHeart also has one as. Well you can open up The iHeart. App they've got their. Own and by the, WAY i want to just mix this. In it's not just BECAUSE i work With, iHeart BUT i will tell you The iHeart Christmas station is the best holiday music station That i've ever.
Speaker 2: Used i've tried them. All every YEAR i come back to.
Speaker 1: The iHeart Christmas. STATION i don't know who programs, it but you do a fantastic. Job it's, old it's, new it's just so. Good put it on AND i guarantee you it'll get you right into the holiday. Spirit let's go To margie In fuller, Ten line.
Speaker 2: One, margie you're on With Rich, Yes Hi, Rick, Hi.
Speaker 8: YEAH i had a question. RECENTLY i had somebody asked me to send my email THAT i was talking to online to their, email AND i, did AND i was a little. Reluctant but WHAT i wanted to know IS i did it on my track. PHONE i sent my email to. THEM i, MEAN i responded to their. Email can they tack into my computer on any?
Speaker 1: LEVEL i mean the short answer is, No but the long answer, is of, course anything is. Possible what do you mean you sent it through your track? Phone do you send it as a text? Message and who are you sending us? To if you don't mind me?
Speaker 8: Asking, no it was it was somebody THAT i had just been talking to online and they said they asked me to send a response to you, know a certain email there's and SO i did. Reluctantly supposedly the it was a private, figure so one me to respond to their management.
Speaker 1: Company, OKAY i would be very careful, HERE i would be very, Careful, So, margie these these types of scams are are very, prevalent and a lot of them involve, celebrities notable. People they reach out and they, say, hey let's get in, touch and if they're ever wanting to take a conversation sort of offline to a different venue like, email it's just it's an easier way to not hack. You you're not going to get hacked per, se but it's an easier way to trick you because now they can have that back and forth with, you and it's, unfiltered it is un, vetted and it's something that's less you, Know it's just it's just a lot easier for them to get a hold of you that.
Speaker 2: Way SO i would say proceed with.
Speaker 1: Caution from what you've told, me it sounds like they are going to eventually try to get you to either hand over information that could give them access to one of your accounts or some sort of financial you, know money or something like. That so did you feel that this was the direction it was.
Speaker 2: Headed, no not.
Speaker 8: Yet it's just that because it's the. Unusual you, know this person was a public figure and they wanted me to go through their management company to connect with.
Speaker 2: Them and why they want you to Connect who is this?
Speaker 8: Person it was just SOMEBODY i met?
Speaker 4: Online, No BUT i mean.
Speaker 2: Who's the who's the famous? Person SHOULD i say the?
Speaker 4: Name?
Speaker 3: Yeah why?
Speaker 2: NOT i mean if are THEY i, mean do we know?
Speaker 4: Them?
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 8: SUPPOSEDLY i don't know IF i should say?
Speaker 1: It, yeah go, ahead they're? Famous they're in the public. Spotlight Jasey Maggell, OKAY i don't know who that.
Speaker 2: Is WHAT i looked.
Speaker 8: Online, nah she's quite, prevalent and what.
Speaker 2: Does she Don okay do.
Speaker 1: You, Okay, MARGIE i really doubt this country. Western so what do they want from?
Speaker 4: You to be?
Speaker 2: Friends?
Speaker 8: Yeah just conversations with? Friends.
Speaker 1: OKAY i will tell. YOU i would delete this, message block the. Sender it is a. Scam do not pass GO i, WOULD i. WOULD i would get rid of this message. Immediately this is not going to lead somewhere good for. You this person does not need to be friends with with. You nothing against, You. Margie you're an amazing, person but this figure is not looking to make friends with. Strangers bottom, line delete the, message don't. Engage this is rich On. Tech welcome back to rich On. Tech Rich DeMuro here hanging out with, you talking. Technology the website for the show is rich On tech dot. Tv this is episode one fifty. One you can find all of the show notes right. There it's occurred to me AS i did the math that we've been doing the show for three years.
Speaker 3: Now she is just.
Speaker 1: Wild next year will be the start of the fourth year of this. Show just how did it go so? Fast how did this year go so? Fast it's already gonna be twenty twenty. SIX i don't want to rush it. Though we still have a lot of holidays to get. Through Luke aragoni is a founder AND ceo Of Low. Tai here to talk about a very popular, topic all these deep fakes you're. SEEING i mean when That sora app came, out it was like game, over game, over you can't believe your eyes. Anymore, luke thanks for joining me.
Speaker 13: Be, Here thanks for having.
Speaker 2: Me so tell me what does LO t? Do number?
Speaker 13: One so we try to find you everywhere online and try to remove all the stuff where you don't. Belong that includes things like deep fakes or for a lot of our public figure, clients things like impersonators or false.
Speaker 4: Endorsements oh.
Speaker 1: Interesting so when people, okay CAUSE i get these emails from people they, say, Hey George clooney is endorsing this new you know cryptos, App like SHOULD i do?
Speaker 2: That And i'm, like, wait why Would George?
Speaker 1: CLOONEY i, mean, now crazier things have, happened you, know celebrities have endorsed these kind of, Things AND i GUESS i guess that's what they're praying, upon is, that like we don't know what these celebrities are doing most of the, time, Right like you just see them and you're, like, okay, Cool, no that's.
Speaker 13: It and then we talk to those celebrity teams and they tell us what they are and aren't. Doing so when we see something pop up like that And George clooney is supporting some kind of new bitcoin scheme and it's not something they're actually, supporting and we'll go ahead and issue takedowns across the web on.
Speaker 1: It and who's behind these? Things like who where does this money? Go like where do who is behind that? Ad because like how do they even get a fake ad Onto facebook Or instagram or.
Speaker 2: Whatever so that's kind of the interesting, part.
Speaker 13: Right it's the scams that are run or like industrialized now those entire team of people dedicated to making. Them so where they're at it is very scattered, geographically but how they make them is really. Concentrated with one new favorite, tool which IS. Ai it's with tools Like sora and, others it's much easier to create realistic, looking like high fidelity recreations of people looking and sounding like these people endorsing, products which.
Speaker 1: Is wild because When sora, too which is owned by Open, ai makers of Chat, ebt when that came, out the wild thing to me is that you are basically giving your own image to make a deep fake of. Yourself like it's, like, hey can we scan your face and also say a couple words on camera and now we've captured your likeness and now you can make fun videos of yourself doing whatever you know within. Reason what did you think when you saw?
Speaker 13: THAT i thought there is going to be a lot more misuse on the way that things were set. UP i was so easy to tend to be someone that you weren't on their first version that came, out and even today there's a lot of holes in. It and so largely WHEN i saw, IT i was, like, oh there's going to be another kind of round of deep fakes that, appear and you, know no doubt that's exactly what has.
Speaker 1: HAPPENED i, mean, so what do you think about people putting in their information to this This sora number? One like, there you, know if you're not a, celebrity, right LIKE i, mean if you're just like a regular, Person you're, Like, okay what DO i have to, lose Like i'll JUST i want to see myself on a roller. COASTER i want to see myself meeting you, know the president of. Whatever you, know, like is there a problem there or is it just the celebrities have to be.
Speaker 13: Concerned, well what we do when we talk to you, know open ay team and, others we really promote a third party as someone that can monitor and have control over it so you can revoke it at any. Time but right, now the way it's set, up it's even if you're just you, know the average show like me or you and we're going, on we just want to put it into the system to have some funny video made of. Us you're turning over a lot of biometric data that is going to be very, hard maybe even impossible to ever get. Back so you, know we we of course have this really strong narrative around someone else should be the one that monitors it so you can put it in and pull it out of the market whenever you. Want and then then you bring that thing that kind of connect your third party to an OPEN ai type. Platform but the whole thing that we want is just more control over. It SO i would caution, everyone you know it doesn't matter if you're going to get famous or. Not, maybe you, know giving all of your what you sound like and look, like your likeness to a startup may not be the most ideal scenario to begin.
Speaker 2: With oh too late for, ME.
Speaker 13: I will, say it's not the end of the, world and there's not a ton of harm if that's not as big of a. Deal but for for some, people you, know you know that are very mindful of, it it is a pretty onerous type, System like you're giving up a lot of rights for.
Speaker 2: It, well and that's the other.
Speaker 1: Thing so if you are a, celebrity you know you have a lot to lose because of you, know it's seeing them doing something or saying something or endorsing. Something you, know there's money at, stake there's reputation at. Stake so you mostly work with public figures on your. Website how do you go about like finding what is being posted about? Them like how do you scan like the web to see if there's like likeness of.
Speaker 12: Them we have a.
Speaker 13: Superpower we can download the internet every night and then we run through things like face recognition and voice recognition to find our clients and all of. It so we spend like a million dollars a month ON. GPUs an enormous amount of resources are spent to try and figure out how we find everyone. Everywhere but the main part of it is using these kinds of, identifiers these biometric identifiers say, oh that's my, client and whether you're famous or not, famous we have clients of all walks of. Life we still can say they don't belong in this, spot and so we issue the takedown from.
Speaker 1: There oh, Wait i'm looking here on your. Website low uh low t L o t ai wait L o t i ai dot. Com and this says likeness protection for. All this says the everyone, Plans so tell me about.
Speaker 2: That that's for like.
Speaker 13: Anyone, yeah so anyone could sign up and there's a free tier so you just you, know kind of see what's out there of you and you can do five takedowns a month and it's free. Forever on. That we're trying to basically deliver this privacy type tool as a, freemium trying to set the standard of The internet of you should be able to find. Yourself you should be able to like load to yourself anywhere on the, web pull back the stuff and if it's bad things that shouldn't be out. There you should be able to click the delete button a few times every month to make sure things are.
Speaker 1: Gone so this is almost, like oh my, gosh all those services that take your private information off the, web you, know they scan all those people finder sites and things like. That this is almost THE ai equivalent of, that for like your actual you, know physical.
Speaker 13: Likeness, yeah so it makes a deep fake of, you or someone uploads a picture of you from high school and they don't know how to tag. You some ancient thing is out. There your dentist has a picture of you on this. Website it's been twenty years since you've been. There whatever it might. Be it could be anything from curiosity to you, know some kind of malignant use of your. Likeness but in either, way, well we'll find all of them and take them, down including things that are more nefarious like hidden cameras and things like. That we can remove that content as.
Speaker 2: Well, wow that's.
Speaker 1: Incredible so tell me about the legality of all, this you, know are? There you, know people have been talking about rules and regulations FOR.
Speaker 2: Ai is any of that? Happening is it in the? Works like where do we stand with?
Speaker 4: That?
Speaker 13: Yeah, Well we had a really big win for the privacy sector with The Take It Down act during probably the first quarter the start of the second quarter this, year which was if there's any kind of explicit material of you, ONLINE i have a lot more tools AS lowdi to be able to go and delete. Them so that was a huge. One and then we have no fakes coming out next. Year likely it's going to pass the next couple of, months and that allows me to, say if there's a deep fake of you of any, kind whether it be you, know, nefarious explicit or, otherwise if it's not, authorized If rich did, it say this is, okay Then i'm allowed to go and delete that as. Well so there's a couple of really great laws that are coming down that are helping us do that delete. Portion, Uh i'm very excited.
Speaker 1: About and you said you work with some of these companies like the open A eyes of The. World you got to talk to them and your you, know in your course of, business how are they about all this stuff because they want to move this forward AND i don't think that they're evil at these, places like they just want to use technology and new and different and fun, ways and you, know some of it of, course can be used in bad. Ways so where do they stand on all this? Stuff like do they want to have THESE i, MEAN i know they don't want to necessarily have all the regulations in, place but they do want to have guardrails and. Guidelines i'm guessing.
Speaker 13: Right, Yeah, well this is where there's a real good meeting of the, minds which is, Myself OPEN. Ai you, Know hollywood in. General everyone is excited about the potential THAT ai brings to. Us it's a new kind of, paintbrush, Right it's we don't want it to be the. Artist we don't want to tell the whole story because they're all typically very. Lame if you HAVE ai do all the real creative. Work but it's a new way to tell a very big story in a more effective. Way and so with that, lens when we talk to OPEN ai and, others we all share a common goal of what's the easiest way to get what's the easiest and safest way to get talent INTO. Ai and while you, know we we go back and forth over what those strategies might, BE i think everyone is really aligned on one common, goal which is this is a new, tool and there's people that want to tell new stories with. It let's figure out the, safest easiest.
Speaker 10: Way to get that.
Speaker 2: Done what about THAT ai actress Like tilly or. Something would would you think would sell?
Speaker 13: That nor WOULD i think it was the name of?
Speaker 4: It?
Speaker 13: Right that presents a completely different problem because it's it's and basically you have this competitive entrant into a, market and that is something that we actually have to talk about something totally, different which is the apprenticeship program in The United.
Speaker 2: States it's think about it this.
Speaker 13: Way when you started off and you're interviewing people and starting out in your career in journalism and radio AND, tv you probably were not the. Best you have to get.
Speaker 2: Good at, it, right sucked at that.
Speaker 13: POINT i Mean i'm sure you were always, great, right but at some point you had to like learn and it would have sucked at that point if you had to compete with like AN ai version that was one hundred times cheaper than.
Speaker 4: You oh.
Speaker 13: Right you need to have some kind of like protective layer where people can be bad to start so they can get, good because the good humans are much better THAN. Ai but if we necap the ability to let the people get good by saying there's These tilly norwoods that'll compete with starting.
Speaker 10: You, know actors or.
Speaker 13: Actresses we do have a real compelling problem we have to think, about which, is how does anyone find their way to mastery if early on they have to compete with free ish.
Speaker 1: Ai oh my, gosh that is such a good. Thought we're gonna leave it. There Luke, aragoni founder AND ceo of load e. Ai check it out low T A i L o t i ai dot. Com really fascinating. Conversation thanks so much for joining me. Today thanks for having Me rich all, Right i'll put a link on the website rich On tech dot. Tv coming, up we're going to open up the. Feedbag got a lot to read you. Guys you'd like you exploded my inbox this, week so we will get to as many emails as possible right here on rich On. Tech welcome back to rich On. Tech Rich jimiro, here getting right into. It since we've got a lot of, FEEDBAG i did want to tell. You google added before we get to, feedback a new way to spot scams on your. Phone so you can now if you have a text message on your phone that you're wondering if it's a, scam just circle to search, it and it will now tell you if it is.
Speaker 2: Suspicious so really.
Speaker 1: Easy just long press the home, button circle the suspicious, text and circle the search will analyze. It you can also do this On iOS by taking a screenshot and feeding it Into Google.
Speaker 2: Lens same.
Speaker 1: Thing it will check, everything the language patterns and web signals to figure out if it's a. Scam this works really. Well tell your family members that are less tech savvy about.
Speaker 2: This just show them how to do.
Speaker 11: That.
Speaker 1: Please And Consumer reports released it's twenty twenty six auto brand. Scorecard guess. What tesla made the top ten for the first. Time So tesla cracked. It and let's see number One. Subaru this of, course is based on all kinds of road, tests safety, scores, reliability owner. Satisfaction let's see which brand drop the. Most let's SEE.
Speaker 2: I Can't i've saw it on, here BUT i can't remember which one it.
Speaker 1: Was, anyway average new car price now tops fifty thousand, dollars which is just. Wild Fifty, Oh mazda dropped to fourteenth due to problems with Its SUVs man, anyway if you want to see. THAT i always love What Consumer reports, says love how they test. Stuff all, right.
Speaker 2: Let's get to the.
Speaker 1: Feedback these are the, comments the, questions the emails that you send to. Me if you'd like to submit, yours you can go To rich on tech dot tv and hit. Contact uh, so let's. Go, Uh tan you want to read one? First my Son tanner is.
Speaker 7: Here, sure go, Ahead, Okay mike from any one on To New. York, Hi, rich great newsletter from the, recipes from the recipes to the tips on deals and. Savings absolutely brilliant.
Speaker 2: Content that's. It, yeah, okay, Cool well thank? You what was his, Name?
Speaker 4: Mike?
Speaker 1: Mike, okay, well thank, You. Mike, yes the newsletter is. UH i spend a lot of. TIME i send it out every. Weekend you can sign up for Free rich on tech dot. Tv it's kind of like a version of this radio, show but in text, format and it's it's, Got it's packed with all kinds of great. Stuff hugh, Says, Hey, RICH i called you a few saturdays ago about it strange home screen. ISSUE i remember this. Call it was like double vision on his home. Screen turns out it was my. WALLPAPER i was using a screenshot of my home screen and the time and the tools Showing verizon figured it out an under thirty. Seconds sometimes the fix is so simple it bedevils the. Brain thanks for helping and doing such a, help doing such a great. SHOW i would have never figured that.
Speaker 2: Out on this. Show he took a screenshot of his home screen and was using that as his home. Screen wait, WHAT i don't even know what that. Means that's so? Crazy all, Right, tanner go.
Speaker 7: Ahead alex From, COLORADO i HOPE i haven't missed, this but would be great to have a picture Of bobo in your newsletter to put.
Speaker 2: A face to the. Voice oh, no you have not missed.
Speaker 1: It bobo has not been in the, newsletter but maybe we can get him in one so you can See bobo in all his. Glory very good looking, guy always has a smile on his, face and now he's got a baby on his hip because he's a new. Dad don In, Hey, Rich Google home didn't update In october and it's still. Stupid when's it Getting? Gemini it's useless, now DON i am so happy to report that My google yesterday afternoon sent me a notification and said would you Like?
Speaker 2: Gemini AND i immediately.
Speaker 1: Said absolutely yes Because i've been waiting a year for this to come to My google homes and all of them got it at the same. Time by the, way it wasn't just, One so every Single google home in my home Got gemini this. Week so don What i'm saying is there's a chance there's hope for, you Don. Uh and it is so much, Better, tanner you were playing with it, Right it's so the questions and answer so.
Speaker 7: Cool like, also you were talking about it for like.
Speaker 2: EVER i was every.
Speaker 1: DAY i would just come home And i'd, Say, google are you smart? Yet and it was just, like hold, on let me check the web for that. Answer i'm, like, no, no, no you got.
Speaker 2: One uh.
Speaker 7: Yeah pamela From San, Demos, California San, Dimas San, Demi, California RICH i so appreciate your. Newsletter you test out everything so we don't have. To you give us great information about developments in the tech industry so that we don't have.
Speaker 2: To thank you, well thank.
Speaker 1: YOU i love hearing. That and, again, yes the News i'm telling you it all goes back to the. Newsletter this show is like an audio version of my. Newsletter the newsletter is like a text version of this. Show they go hand in hand and if you're not on the, list just go ahead Subscribe rich on tech dot. Tv phil And, Orange california SAYS i remember you mentioned that you worked at Office. DEPOT i did, too part time In orange from twenty twenty, three two thousand and three to two thousand and. Five they called my role a customer service. Technician it was my favorite part time. JOB i got to meet new, people talk, tech help local business. OWNERS i didn't like Selling nextel phones and pushing, warranties but people bought. Them my favorite part was getting free stuff From intel AND. Hp Now i'm still a, nerd but a cool nerd listening to. You thanks for keeping the tech spirit. Alive do not forget to share your favorite apps of twenty twenty. FIVE i look forward to that every. Year Happy, Holidays. Phil one of my fondest memories was working At Office. DEPOT i will never. FORGET i was working at the store next. Door i'm dating. MYSELF i was making six dollars an hour and they said the home The Office depot was opening up next. DOORE i walked, over met with the manager and he, SAID i can give you six fifteen an. HOUR i said, done and for a PLACE i want to. WORK i was working at a clothing store before. THAT i, said this is like a dream job to, Me LIKE i am such a. NERD i sold cell phones. There they weren't even, smartphones they were flip. Phones we also had the Business machines, area, which by the, way back in the, day there were so many places where you would go to buy electronics and computer. Parts not Necessarily amazon or A Best. Buy you would go to like a lot of different stores like they had local. Stores, anyway such a fun. Time do you have one more?
Speaker 2: Tanner? Yep actually?
Speaker 4: ONE? A? Yeah all?
Speaker 7: Right sue From, Yorba, Linda. CALIFORNIA i love and listen to you almost Every, saturday and ALTHOUGH i am low, TECH i always learn so much from.
Speaker 2: You oh thank. YOU i love.
Speaker 1: That joni In, Carmel california, says, Hey, Rich happy holidays to you and your. FAMILY i first heard of bake bot on your show a year, ago and it's been such an awesome use OF.
Speaker 2: Ai i'm an avid home. CHEF i rely on it for more than recipes For.
Speaker 1: THANKSGIVING i used it to create a full schedule for my one of and including when to put in the, turkey when don't we be done and when to add side. Dishes it worked. Great please mention this again for anyone who may have missed. It bakebot Dot, Ai bakebot Dot, Ai i'm glad it's helping you. Out thanks so much for. Listening that's going to do it for this. Show there are so many ways you can spend your. TIME i do appreciate you spending it right here with. Me thanks to everyone who makes this show. Possible Bobo tanner in saygabye.
Speaker 2: Bye my name is Rich. Darmiro i'll talk to you real.
Speaker 4: Soon