Speaker 1: Comedy Up Broadway in Lexington. Welcomes David Cross July twenty fourth and twenty fifth, then catch Jeff Allen July thirtieth through August first, and don't miss Zanab Johnson August seventh and eighth. Comedy Up Broadway opened in downtown Lexington in nineteen eighty seven and they're still bringing the best and stand up comedy to the area thirty nine years later. For tickets called eight five nine two seven to one joke or visit Comedy Up Broadway dot com Comedy Off.
Speaker 2: Welcome everyone. It is Kentucky Sports Radio, Wednesday, July twenty second. I am Shannon the Dude. It's a little weird coming out of my own voice talking in to myself live right there, introducing myself. Matt Jones is on vacation. I am Shannon to the Dude, and you can give us a call on the Clark's Puppis Shop phone line at eight five nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven a vision Glass text machine. I'm gonna have to go to Ryan on this one because I do not remember it.
Speaker 3: Come on.
Speaker 4: Seven, yes, you lost me after.
Speaker 5: That thirty five thirty six.
Speaker 2: Thirty six eighty eighty okay, and this rolls off the time, right, Okay, Yeah, I still don't know what You guys are just going to have to help me with that one.
Speaker 3: And I brought it.
Speaker 6: I've got it two days in a row as text machine.
Speaker 2: You being all responsible. The show is sponsored, as always Bottle Office of TJ. Smith. If you call TJ, he'll make them pay. I got Ryan LeMond, I've got Drew Franklin. I am in the Louisville studio. I cannot see the guys because technology has spelled us. I'm not so sure that our phone lines were even working. We had we had one call on the pre show and uh it didn't work. And I think Billy has some issues on the Leach Report. But we'll get through it. It's all good. And uh it's guys. It's it's mid July, coming up on the end of July. Not a whole lot of sports topics going on, so we'll making an ask anything day. But I was thinking, you know, the last time that I was leading the show, you guys were actually at my house. We did it out there in the by and you know, it's it's it's fun to every now and then be able to be given the reins and sit here and talk about whatever I want to talk about. And today, guys, it's gonna be a lot of random topics. So I hope you're okay with that. Last night I went to a concert.
Speaker 3: And heard you talking about the pre show.
Speaker 2: By the way, Uh, just so everybody will stick around. I know that this is gonna make you excited. But we were giving away Barry Manilo tickets on the show today.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, I have to I write the songs.
Speaker 2: It make the whole world sing.
Speaker 4: Is that a Barry Manilo song?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay. I was gonna say, I'm gonna have to lean on you for the text line and all the Barry Manilow songs because I don't think I really know any Berry Manilo songs.
Speaker 3: You know, you know some jingles? He wrote, Oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we talked about this, didn't What were the jingles that Barry.
Speaker 6: Manilow wrote McDonald's I'm Loving You Deserve a Break today at McDonald's. I am stuck on band aids because aids stuck.
Speaker 2: On Barry Manilow wrote that.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: He also wrote.
Speaker 6: I'm on I'm on the American Bandstand. Bandstand Okay, that's a little bit old for me. I don't remember that one, but I'm stuck on band aid. I definitely know that one. Yes, so is that the most popular Barry manilo song? Stuck on band Aids? Because band Aids stuck on me.
Speaker 5: He also has like a good neighbors State Farmers.
Speaker 3: There there we go, another great one.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 6: I heard in his concerts like he has a little melody where he just plays. He plays like, you know, twenty of them in a row, you know, just little and everybody loves strings them all together.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Now you got me halfway excited to go see Barry Man.
Speaker 3: See, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: It's like a commercial break.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not here to hear whatever Ryan was singing. I want to hear the McDonald's jingle and the band Aid's jingle band Aid.
Speaker 6: Wow, there's there's some more. Maybe maybe we'll ding them out and find some more jingles. He's done a lot of his famous jingles.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: You know, I was just sitting here thinking too.
Speaker 2: Every day we're together for two hours, I probably spend more time either talking to you guys, or at least doing the show with you guys than I do my own family, you know, like we do ten hours a week together. I don't know if I spend ten hours a week speaking to my parents, Actually I know, I don't, So you know, it's just one of those things where you start putting it together and how many hours we've done radio over the years together, and you times that by what fifteen years or something like that. We've done a lot of radio. So I'm happy to have you guys here with us, and we're gonna get into some random stuff. But yeah, speaking of concerts, Bush, last night I went to see Bush Ryan. I'm assuming Drew, you know who Bush is. You probably know who the band Hoopa Stink is.
Speaker 5: Oh, I love some move Steak Ryan.
Speaker 2: Do you know who either one of those bands are.
Speaker 6: I've heard of both of them, but I couldn't tell you a Bush song, but I know they're out there.
Speaker 2: Glycerin Glistens a good one, Yeah, Seren, I know that song.
Speaker 3: Yep, they thought that was Nirvana.
Speaker 2: No, that's a Bush song.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: But I bring this up because I have some observations about going to see a band from the nineties that's basically a nostalgia band at this point.
Speaker 4: First of all, the people that were there are all, you know.
Speaker 2: Forty plus, and they're all sort of reliving their glory years. And I'm looking around and I'm seeing people in their sixties, probably wearing stuff that they should wear. I'm talking about man and women. The first thing I see when I walk in as a guy that has a big beer belly and the shirt wouldn't even pull down over his belly. The belly's just hanging out and he's just standing there and everybody's walking by going through the line, and I'm like, all right, this is gonna be an interesting show already, Like the people watching is incredible. But as I'm watching all these people in their forties, fifties, and sixties, I just came to the realization of, man, I am old. I am old, Like this is now like the bands that I grew up listening to, this is their their demo. Now it's forty fifty sixty year old people. And I just came to that reminder. I mean, I didn't just realize that I'm old yesterday. I knew that, but it was just another reminder that man, I'm getting old. And these people that are there are all just rocking it out.
Speaker 4: But it's like it's kind of depressing a little bit.
Speaker 2: And I just I wondered, guys, if you like remember the first time that you came to the realization that you're now old, because I could tell you mine. Mine was about ten years old, but ten years ago when I walked into QMF, which is a classic rock station, and they were playing Bush and Nirvana and all these bands that I grew up, and I'm going, what's going on here? Like what these bands are being played on QMF now? And I think it was a Minnetti that looked at me and goes, yeah, dude, that song's twenty five years old. I'm going, oh my god, I am old. So Ryan, do you have like a moment that you just remember, like it came to you that, oh my god, I'm actually old. Now I'm the old guy.
Speaker 3: I can save it with honesty. It happened this morning.
Speaker 2: Do you just realize you're old this morning?
Speaker 5: First time?
Speaker 6: No, not the first time, but for the first time, Oh, the first time.
Speaker 7: I know.
Speaker 3: The first time is easy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I just got the job here in Lexington, so I'm like thirty years old, and my buddy Punk takes me to a place called Two Keys, tavern.
Speaker 3: Uh huh.
Speaker 6: And I walk in there and the high school kid that I just covered in the basketball game before I went to Two Keys Cavern is in Two Keys Tavern and he's in high school.
Speaker 3: I remember, Okay, yeah.
Speaker 6: I I need to get this is not the place for me. That's the first realization, like I am old when high school I see high school kids in the bar.
Speaker 2: I remember Dawson who used to call into the show, or when people will come up to us Drew and go, yeah, I used to listen to you when I was a little kid. And they're now twenty two years old, and I'm going, oh my god, have we really been on the radio that long? Do you have one for you? Drew? Like where you're you go? Man, I'm the old guy now.
Speaker 5: Well the one you just mentioned happened to me twelve hours ago. Last night, I went to an event in Lexington. There was like a little private they had like invited influencers and just kind of people from around likes and there's some music. It's a good time at the Bourbon Hotel. But there was a lot of younger female like social media influencers there and I was like, oh, I already fell out of place, but I was having a good time. And then when I was like, hey, you're Drew. I grew up listening to you and I just just stared at my bourbon. It's like, yeah, nice to meet you. Help me over here in the corner by myself leaning on the wall. So that happened last night, but it happens a lot at UK media events. I don't remember the first time, but it happens a lot, say, interviewing players and you ask them who they grew up watching and they say someone that I feel like was three years ago. They'll be like, oh, I grew up watching Shay and you're like not John Wall, and like now it's before my time and it's like, my goodness, John Wall feels like yesterday. Or just looking around the media room. When I started, it was a lot of the names that have moved on. Bromley colors around a little bit, but you know, he's mostly retired, Tipton, they're all gone, and now I'm one of the veterans and older people in there. So really going to work anything UK related, whether talking to players or just looking at on the room, I definitely feel old.
Speaker 2: Billy said that I'm also old because I posted a concert video. I guess that's an old person thing now. I don't know. I always did it even when I was younger, But is that an old man move posting a concert video? I didn't like post the entire concert because I've noticed you can go on YouTube. There's a great thing about if you're a concert fan and you want to see your favorite band play from last night, there's some people that will film the entire show.
Speaker 4: I don't need that.
Speaker 2: I grab like maybe a minute of my favorite song, and I may post it on like an Instagram story, or maybe I'll post a Twitter or Facebook whatever. But Drew, is that an old man move now to post a concert video if you're at a show.
Speaker 5: I mean, I do it.
Speaker 3: We're all old.
Speaker 2: I guess you know.
Speaker 5: I don't record the whole concert, but there have been times where like an artist will do an acoustic version, or maybe they'll do a cover, or I've recorded it and I've actually gone back and listened to it several times. I've even like put my own videos onto Spotify before because it was such a unique one off thing. And then you know and obviously post that. So I know some people say you put your phone. Buckle up, put your phone down at concerts. But there's been times where I've captured something that I've listened to five years later, and I'm sure I posted it in the moment too.
Speaker 2: Ryan, Do you do that when you go to the shows or are you the course? Are you the guy that's knocked like, Okay, here's the thing You're gonna come to Bourbon and be on later this year?
Speaker 7: Who?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Blowfish is gonna play there?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Are you gonna have your phone out the entire time?
Speaker 6: Does a fat baby fart? Of course, I'm gonna have my phone out the whole time. That's what I want to relive, those memories. And I don't care if I post it. I don't care if you like it or not. That's a good thing. I getting old. We can do whatever we want and then I don't care what you think about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: But my moment this morning when I felt old is when you said Mick Jagger was eighty two years old to Billy, and I realized I'm closer to Mick Jagger's age than I am to Billy's age. Oh my god, it's off realization. It made me feel like, oh my goodness, I am.
Speaker 3: I am old, So.
Speaker 5: Another one for me. I have a little bit of gray hair in the beard, you know, especially in the goatee. And I can't remember the exact concert, but I was at Repperina in the beer line and I was still getting carted. Well after twenty one makes you feel good? And he said, I don't need your idea. I see the coconut and he pointed at my little goates. I was like, ah, so I'm getting called out from a white beard. So that that that made me feel old too.
Speaker 2: See. I take it now as a compliment when I get carted to buy a beer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, to be a hassle.
Speaker 2: You know, right when you turn twenty okay, let me where's my idea? Let me find okay, here it is now, you know, forty three years old to okay?
Speaker 3: You know, see you right, you're begging them please please card me.
Speaker 2: Of course they're carding everybody, but you know, I like to feel special, so I take it as a compliment when they do that.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: The other takeaway that I had though was that I don't know if this is a thing anymore. You mentioned Mick Jagger. You know, Mick Jagger is a rock star, he looked like a rock star. As I'm watching these bands last night, none of them looked like they were even like in a band. They look like just regular Joe's, like they could have been out, you know, in the crowd, or could have been a part of the road crew or something like that.
Speaker 4: I don't know if that's just a a thing that is gone by the way.
Speaker 2: So over the years, the guys that look like they're like actual rock stars on stage. The leads here for who the State comes out and he looks like I didn't know if he was like part of the Roady crew or what, But I was like, all right, I guess that's just not a thing anymore. For some of these bands, they don't they don't put any effort into their look anymore. They're definitely not David Bowie, you know, going out there all glam.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you missed the days of the massive eighties hair and the makeup and the glitzy uniforms and costumes.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So like when we went to see def Leppard and Motley Crue and Joan Jed and Poison at Hershey Park, like those guys, you know, they look like they belonged up there. But these guys, I was like, all right, I guess this is the band. I wasn't sure if the show was starting or not. Anyway, if you got a time that you know the realization of I'm now the old guy or I'm now the old woman eight five nine, twenty two eighty seven, I want to know the moment you came to realize that you were old, because I just got a very good reminder of that last night.
Speaker 4: All right, guys, on tonight TBT, it's Game three.
Speaker 2: We've got Memorial Coliseum hosting it and our very own Mario, which, by the way, maybe we need to bring him in on this is reporting that Archie good One is in Lexington and we'll play. No, I'm not gonna go against Mario. If Mario says it, I believe it. But is there any chance that Archie is in town? But maybe he's just going to a wedding and he's not gonna play tonight because we need Archie tonight.
Speaker 5: It was actually just confirmed up by TBT on Twitter. They put out the roster Archie is active and Marcus Lee is not, and why we bother listing him now? But they have confirmed Archie is active for tonight.
Speaker 2: So Mario at the scoop, take that look at that bang?
Speaker 5: What's up man?
Speaker 4: Welcome to the show, buddy.
Speaker 2: So, uh, we're gonna win tonight, right, we got Archie, We got Archie. Are we still riffing on each other or the guys getting along?
Speaker 9: Yeah, they're getting along, man.
Speaker 3: They know the job.
Speaker 9: The job is to get the w tonight. That's that's what they're planning on doing.
Speaker 4: So so what about Willie.
Speaker 2: I hear that he's he's expected to give it a go after getting injured.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, I don't know anything about Willie, but you know, yeah, they're hopeful that he's gonna play tonight. We're gonna need him. This is one game that we need so well.
Speaker 2: I mean, one thing's for sure. We cannot have the Bill come in here and beat us in Lexington. That can't happen tonight.
Speaker 5: So I don't, I don't.
Speaker 9: I'm hoping that's not gonna happen. But it's gonna be great, man, its gonna be It's gonna be a lot of fun. This is what it's all about. One game, a lot on the line, and you know, we'll see what happens. I'm I'm I'm confident in my guys right.
Speaker 2: I know that the there's been a lot of controversy around the team, but I kind of like it, like this has been the most entertaining part.
Speaker 5: Did you drama?
Speaker 2: Did you guys right? Did you see Andrew? Mario? Did you guys see Aaron Harrison? He retweeted a tweet that said something to the effect of that Andrew is gonna be the only Harrison twin to ever lose to.
Speaker 6: Lobelle talking smack to his own brother.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: That's good stuff.
Speaker 3: But you guys are right, man.
Speaker 6: Nobody wearing red comes and wins at Memorial Costing, not just Memorial Cossium, historic Memorial Cosseum. That's just not going to happen. So I bet there's a big crowd there tonight. I bet it's a great crowd, very vocal, and I'm excited to watch it now.
Speaker 2: I understand it's wild Eggs Wednesday. Mario, are we doing that right out the gate today or do you want to.
Speaker 9: See We can do it. You're you're hosting, so you've picked the tom. Whenever you want me to post it, I'll post it, and we can do it on Instagram.
Speaker 2: We've already kept the scrambled word I do. Okay, all right, we'll go ahead and post it now. I'll post it live, all right.
Speaker 5: We're posting it on Instagram. Chaos on the Show?
Speaker 3: Are the Show Instagram?
Speaker 6: All right, kas are the Show on Instagram. If you know first segment Wild Egg's Wednesday.
Speaker 4: You know, here's the deal.
Speaker 2: If I don't get to it now, I'm going to forget about it and it won't get done. So we're gonna knock it out right now. I need to do it. I'm gonna okay, I'll take listen it right now, post it now. I'll jump on during the break here and I'll see if I can figure it out, and we'll come right back. We'll take your calls. Eight five nine two twenty two eighty seven. I got Drew, I got Ryan, I got Mario. Shannon. Billy's not here. He's abandoned us, so we'll get with him. I guess whenever he gets back for the pre show. Mario, you're gonna be on with me tomorrow on the pre show, right I am.
Speaker 5: I'm excited.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, Well, we had a lot to talk about, especially if they lose tonight.
Speaker 5: I've got a lot of your so so negative.
Speaker 4: Well, right back, it is co Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, it is Kentucky Sports Radio eight five nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven. Pat tweetered is a ticket stub from a Barry Manilo show from October twenty first, nineteen eighty going to what that ticket costs? Speaking of which another person writes and it says one, uh says let's see. Oh yeah, it says, I don't go to a concert anymore because it literally cost you an arm and a leg. I don't know if it literally cost you an arm and a leg, but concert ticket prices have just gone like through the roof, Like trying to go to a show and you go on Ticketmaster and you get to that last page where it says put in your credit card information, and the ticket that said fifty bucks jumped up to like one hundred and twenty, Like, what what is this? But it is not cheap, Ryan, I know a lot of us here are at the station. You know, it's a good perk of working at a radio station. You get free concert tickets. But if you've tried to buy a ticket anytime recently, you know it is not cheap.
Speaker 6: No, and that's why I would prefer just to have somebody else record it and watch it on YouTube.
Speaker 3: Like you said, you want the bootleg versions, put the version.
Speaker 6: Well the we talked about this this week, but the prices for like the World Cup, just not just concert, any event tickets are just getting ridiculous. That's why it was kind of crazy that UK actually lowered their ticket.
Speaker 3: Prices for football this year.
Speaker 6: I was really impressed that they did that when everybody else is skyrocketing.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's yeah, it's one thing that you don't normally see really anywhere in life. His prices going back down, right, you know, if anything, they're going to hike the prices up. So I mean they're doing it on beer, food, ticket prices. I think we're moving in the right direction. So I think that that's just going to add to the excitement. Let's talk a little bit about football. I mean, because of me, I think we need to put that on a shirt, print them up. Will Stein gave us that quote from SEC Media Day. Then yesterday we got another quote that was I don't have it right here in front of me, but basically said I'm a psychotic.
Speaker 4: Member of BBN.
Speaker 2: You know, we talked about Mark Pope and how he won the offseason in his first year before the season started here at Kentucky, Drew, I feel like will Stein is saying all the right things. He's getting the recruits, he's doing everything the right way. Before we even played the first game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, he has to win on the field, but since his first press conference in January, he's just been winning left and right. His recruiting class is awesome, built for the future. Social media is back. We mentioned that a little bit yesterday, how they're doing such a good job with that. The old regime went pretty quiet. I think most interviews with Mark Stoops he would say, I don't want to make a headline. I don't want to make a headline. He was saying the bare minimum just to kind of get through it. You wouldn't get much out of him. Will Stein is a walking headline right now and he's loving it.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 5: We'll see in the fall how he year one goes. But to this point, I mean he gets an A plus on what he's doing in fan engagement, bringing players in, bringing excitement to the building. They got a young coaching staff that he even set himself. You know, at the end of the day, they'll have a beer with you. You know, get the work done and go out and Lexton and enjoy the town, enjoy the community to a certain extent. Nothing too crazy, but they're just a fun group of guys that are excited to be in Lexington and coach football.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 2: I think we could all agree that when you take over as a coach, you kind of get the first year free. You know, you get that honeymoon period. But life is all about expectations. So like, what would you define as success for the team this year?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 2: Is it a certain amount of wins? Is it how close we play teams? If I said to you Ryan, and I'm coming to you next, Drew, what is success for this season for will Stein in the first year? How would you answer that?
Speaker 6: See, that's such a great question because even like we talked about a little bit yesterday, they could be much better and the record not reflected. But even though they're better to be for success to me going into the fourth quarter, you know, in it with Alabama and LSU and Florida and all these tech at Texas A and m be in the game, maybe you got a chance to win it. At the end of the game, you know, and and even if they'd lose it, I think at the end of the year, if I can look back and say, we didn't get embarrassed, we didn't get blown out, we're competitive in every single game, I would give him an A for that honeymoon year because of just how tough all the opponents are.
Speaker 4: So you say, just be competitive.
Speaker 2: If we win three games but we're close, that's going to be success for you.
Speaker 5: No, I would need more than three.
Speaker 6: Okay, Well, what if the over unders four and a half, I mean a half, they can get to five. I mean I think that's a that's a success this season.
Speaker 4: Okay, so five wins you're saying this is a success.
Speaker 3: Drew, sounds awful, But well, I.
Speaker 2: Mean no, that's that's you get to set the expectator expectations wherever you want.
Speaker 4: So you say five, Uh, what about for you, Drew?
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you're one first time head coach doing a rebuild in the SEC. It's hard to put too much pressure on actual wins. Like if he goes to a bowl game, my goodness, we're going crazy. Six wins as I think even went winless in the SEC, that would be disappointed. But if you're competitive and if you can knock off one of the big dogs, maybe you get Tennessee, maybe you get that Alabama game, get a good signature win. I think fans will be engaged excited about the future because it is a tough turnaround from what they've had recently. Brand new faces out there. We've got a few returners, but brand new everything. And it's his first time coaching. He's handing over play calling duties, everything's new in lection, and so he gets a pretty long leash in year one. I'd say, like I said, if he goes bowling, that's that's nuts. But five wins I'd still be pretty happy with. When we had five wins last year and four wins the year before with a veteran coach who had this thing built true, So it doesn't take a whole lot to turn it around. But that schedule is brutal.
Speaker 6: Win an SEC home game, that'd be nice for our fan base.
Speaker 5: Yeah, w a long time without those.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know you look at you know, part of the Stoops era here. I mean he did things that I never thought we would see. The ten win seasons. I never really thought I would see that in my lifetime. Happened twice, so I mean, I don't it's it's tough to put a win total on it, but I think if I had to, I'm kind of with you Ryan and saying, Okay, if they get the five, but they can't get blown out the other games, you know what I mean. They can't go five and seven and get blown out in all all seven losses. As long as you can get the five and you're competitive in the other ones that you lose, I would say for year one that success.
Speaker 5: Let's not forget this is the first year with the non sec game schedule. Speven has one more harder Gametop said, you only get two of the so called cupcakes then Louisville. Then you got a gauntlet in.
Speaker 2: The convent louis Wille. Embarrass you exactly that happened, all right, we gotta get to a break eight five, nine, two, eight, twenty two, eighty seven. Will take your ask anything phone calls coming up next here on KSR, Welcome back. It is Kentucky's Sport Radio. Shannon the Dude, Ryan Lemon, Drew Franklin here with you, got Rick Ryder in here too with us. We're bringing in all the stars fricks over there on the ones and twos. Some people riding in with the best moments of realizing that they were old. When person says they reached down to pick up a spoon and throw out their back. Yeah, that's a good that'll do it.
Speaker 4: That'll do it.
Speaker 3: That'll do it.
Speaker 2: Another person that rode in and said, when I caught myself getting into the routine of going to bed at nine o'clock, you know what, I'm with them on that, Like if somebody that's got to get up normally at five o'clock in the morning. Ryan. I used to laugh at my grandparents because every night nine o'clock they'd be like, oh, it's time for bed. I'm like nine o'clock. When I was younger, I wouldn't even go out to the bars until eleven o'clock at night, wouldn't even leave the house, and they'd be going to bed at nine o'clock. And I'm going, what and now here I am Ryan doing the same thing.
Speaker 4: Nine o'clock. I am ready to go to bed.
Speaker 6: The eleven o'clock news was such a big part of my life for like twenty years. I can't tell you the last time I stayed up to watch the eleven o'clock news. I'm in bed.
Speaker 4: Didn't you used to be on the late news though.
Speaker 6: Yes, that's what I'm saying. It was such a big part of my life for so long. Now I never never mad. I can drive across town, like from my house on the west side to Hamburg and the east side and get out of my car like, oh my goodness, I just ran a marathon. Jeez, it hits you quick, it does.
Speaker 2: And and then one more person says that whenever they had to start having their hairdress or cover up their grays, some some moments that you realized you were the old person.
Speaker 4: All right, we got phone lines full eight, five.
Speaker 2: Nine, eighty seven. Maybe we'll give away the Berry Manilo tickets. Just my best moment I was I realized I was old.
Speaker 4: Call that we get today.
Speaker 2: So idea And if you don't want to do it, if you don't want the Berry Manilo tickets, you don't have to do that. It's ask anything today. So whatever you want to talk about, we're here for it. Let's go to Matthew first on the phones. What's up, Matthew?
Speaker 3: I yeah, I'm pumped up for you know, UK football, and.
Speaker 2: This is the year to beat Alabama. You know that seems to be a popular pick. Nick Rausch was he on Fine Bomb the other day saying that, guys, I think I saw that somewhere that Ralsh was on Fine Bomb.
Speaker 5: He did. Ralsh is the SEC media day star every year. We're just lucky he wasn't wearing a big foam cowboy half this time, but he rattled the Fine Bomb phone line cages by going on there and predicting a Kentucky win over Alabama. I'm sure Fine Bomb will be hearing about that one for a few more days.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thanks for the call, Matthew. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Ryan. Do you think that Kentucky gets it done? It seems to be a popular pick. I don't honestly. Ralsh is the first person that I said that I heard say that they would beat Alabama this year. I guess he bases that off of Alabama recently sort of struggling early in the year, that game being the second one on the schedule. Are you going to jump in there and say that Kentucky beats Alabama with Ralsh?
Speaker 6: I gotta give Drew props. Drew said this in the spring when the schedule came out.
Speaker 2: It was Drew first. Okay, Okay, well then I'll give the credit to Drew then. So you're all about it and you think it's gonna happen. If you were the first person to say it, I guess Ralsh jumped on your bandwagon.
Speaker 3: Yeah we can share it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a shared belief with the KSR website crew. Part of it is, you know, they're not sold on Calen to board Alabama. He has big shoes to fill. But even though he's been fine, he hadn't been up to their standards. They have a new quarterback who will be traveling for his first SEC road game against the defense that has shown nothing this spring in this summer, so it'll be a mystery what even they're going against. Hopefully UK is able to hide their cards in Week one against Youngstown, and Alabama's taken early season losses since Debor has been there, so the opportunity is there for Kentucky to pull off the upset in what will be a rowdy environment. It's just everything is aligning perfectly. They just have to go do it.
Speaker 2: Ryan, can you imagine? I mean, let's just assume we're gonna win the first game of the Year Game two national television. Will Steine taken on Alabama in the second game of his career at Kentucky and beats Kentucky. Can you imagine like the atmosphere and the excitement of this fan base if that were to happen.
Speaker 6: This state is so overdue to feel good about our UK team and to celebrate, especially in football. You know, our diehard football fans suffer through those one in ten seasons back in the day and two and nine, when there was just eleven games, they would go.
Speaker 3: This state would go crazy.
Speaker 6: If they start the season two and oh, which includes a home win over Alabama and Willstein's second game.
Speaker 2: I mean yeah, if you could somehow just pull off that win, I mean yeah, it matters what happens the rest of the season, But you're talking about building up some good will and some excitement. You beat Alabama, you've definitely got it. You've definitely do it. Absolutely all right, let's go to uh, who's next. Let's go to Bob Hey, Bob.
Speaker 7: Yes, TLAs. My question is we all know how tough the SAC is on quarterbacks, and we know who are expected starter it's going to be, But what do we know? I know we got a recruit from Moler, but what do we know about the backups? QB two, QB three. Thanks for listening or thanks for letting me listen. Man, I'll talk to you later.
Speaker 4: I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Drew. I kind of lean on you as our football expert here. I mean, both of you guys know more about football and the roster than I do. I'll grant you that Panatowski is he uh? I mean, is he gonna get any playing time at all? Or is he just gonna set the bench and be a project long term here at Kentucky Or what about the backup situation?
Speaker 5: They have a deep room there. You got a guy from Canada. Uh got Brendan Ward who's been on the team a little bit. I still think Panaitowski, even though he's getting a late start, just joining the team at the end of the summer, he'll be here in time for training camp, but wasn't there in the spring. I still think he's so talented and we'll be competing for the keys after Kenny Minshew that he'll be first one off the bench if you get to that point. Hopefully Minshi stays healthy throughout the season. But who when's the last time that's happened where quarterbacks played the whole year. So if I were setting the odds right now, I'd say Panaitoski, even though he's a true freshman, is ahead of the rest of the guys. But they have several bodies back there in case someone wants to emerge and stand out behind Minschian in fall camp.
Speaker 6: That's the thing, and we've said this before. In the SEC your quarterback is going to get hit and more than likely he's going to miss some time. So Ponatowski, I think, is going to get a chance to get on the field a little bit prove what he's capable of.
Speaker 2: I think Ponatowski just sees the riding on the wall being drafted by the Cincinnati Reds. Ryan He's like, you know what, the Reds are so pitiful. I know they're like his home team and everything, but it just goes to show you he would rather go to Kentucky make some nil money then he would go play for the Cincinnati Reds right now.
Speaker 6: Well, and I think he saw what happened to Tyler Bell. Tyler Bell was drafted in sixty six, came played one year at Kentucky. He was drafted top ten. Ponatowski is such a good baseball player. He's p every thinking I can improve my eighteenth round status by playing one year in the SEC and maybe be a top top, top round pick.
Speaker 2: And you know, like the Billy and I talked about this on the pre show the day after the draft. These guys that go around and play minor league baseball. You think they're making good money, but we looked it up and the salary of like even a triple A baseball player is around fifty thousand dollars if you go to a Lobel Bats baseball game. Ryan, sometimes I'll sneak into the players parking lot here and whenever I go to a game and I'm like, yeah, yeah, I heard them. I'm working here. And you could see in the players parking lot the guys that have been up to the majors and the guys that are just coming up. Based on the car like there's a you know, one hundred thousand dollars car park wreck right next to a beater, you know.
Speaker 4: One that's you know, maybe a couple grand.
Speaker 2: You could definitely tell the guys who have had the big contracts and the ones that haven't.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the bonus babies that make the gazillion dollars and may get sitting down to CINCINNTI for a rehab assignment.
Speaker 3: It's obvious what they drive.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: For Pototowski though, I think it makes sense. I mean obviously long term, well.
Speaker 6: He can make more money in IL money here next year, probably can get football in AL money and baseball in IL money.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: He'd be better off here just just making the Anile money than he would traveling around in a minor league system. And long term, he's gonna end up being a baseball player. I think he said several times in interviews that's his first love. But uh, you know, not a bad gig when you can do both. But I think long term, would you rather go out there and get beat up as a football player, Ryan, or be a pitcher and throw every five or six days, you know, throw basically once a week. And some of these baseball contracts are absurd too. Once you finally get to the majors.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, pitchers are not really athletes. They play one every five You got to be an every day player.
Speaker 4: How are you going to say that you.
Speaker 3: Got to be an everyday player. Pitchers, you got sit in a bullpen most.
Speaker 2: Of No, no, no, no.
Speaker 5: Don't they travel with their golf clubs.
Speaker 3: They do.
Speaker 6: They play golf on their off day, sit down in the bullpen on their non pitching days. Maybe they'll long toss and then call it a day.
Speaker 2: Come on, man, Well, I'm gonna tell you when I was playing at Bellerman while you guys, you position players are up there doing your batting practice, is the pictures pictures were running their butts off.
Speaker 3: We were. Scotty wing An was your coach.
Speaker 4: Scotty Wigan.
Speaker 2: He was out there making his new bear Cross talking about a drill sergeant of a coach man. But he had us whipped into shape. We couldn't beat anybody, but we could outrun anybody in the across country.
Speaker 6: Meet Breakoutah, let's get one more before the break.
Speaker 2: Let's go to Brendan. Hey, Brendan, Brendan, can't you hear us?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: No, Brendan Rick, Let's try. Let's go over to Cody. Hey, Cody, Hey, are you good? What's up? Cody?
Speaker 7: Hey?
Speaker 8: I've got a question, uh for sins? Chance that any of these things happened within the next five years. Okay, and I've got four got four things, all right, let's go through them. The UK hoops makes the final four. That's Kenny Kenny Brooks team makes the final four in the next five years.
Speaker 2: You want to see that.
Speaker 4: You want to go one at a time?
Speaker 2: Here, Okay, percentage chance that you said, Kenny Brooks makes the final four? Yes, in the next how many years?
Speaker 8: Five?
Speaker 2: Five years? You guys want to jump in there.
Speaker 3: First, I'd say it's gonna do it.
Speaker 6: I would say the percentage is high, like, I'll go with like eighty five.
Speaker 2: Eighty five, Wow, Okay, I wasn't gonna go that high, Drew.
Speaker 5: I'm confident eighty five is a little high. I'll say seventy Okay, maybe even this upcoming year.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's just so tough to get there.
Speaker 5: And man, he's already been to one at Virginia Tech. This is a step up.
Speaker 2: I'll go. I'll go sixty percent chance, all right, what's your next one?
Speaker 8: Okay, same thing? Five years. UK flipball beat the top five team. UK football beats the top five team.
Speaker 4: Okay, top five pole ranked team.
Speaker 6: All right, twenty it's not a bad guess I was thinking twenty five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Drue, uh, you know.
Speaker 5: You'll probably have a couple every year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, depends on how many opportunities you get to.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean top five is pretty high up there.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I could see him getting like a Texas or Georgia in the next five years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and get him.
Speaker 5: I mean Texas wasn't top five last year. But I mean so how close they played him? Yeah, under stoops played Georgia close pretty consistently. Now, if Stein takes that next leap like they think you will, I think they can knock off the top five team.
Speaker 2: All right, what's your next one?
Speaker 8: U can't basketball makes the Final fours and makes five years.
Speaker 2: See. Now this is an interesting question because it all depends on what happens with this season. Like, if things go well this season, Mark Pope might be here for another five years. If it does, if it goes south quick that, I don't know that he's our coach the season after this one. So I mean at that point, who knows who the coach is. So I'm just gonna go to sound really pessimistic saying this. I'm going to go ten percent.
Speaker 3: Well that's fair.
Speaker 6: I mean, we've been only three final fours in the last what twenty five years?
Speaker 5: Been over a decade that we've been to one.
Speaker 3: So I was going to say, like maybe fifteen percent true.
Speaker 5: I'm joining you, Shannon. Yeah, I wish I were more optimistic, but I don't feel great about it in the next five since it's been so long. Yeah, the urgency is starting to kick in with some success. Even Cala Perry's title that they turned into the floor of the locker room is starting to get some dust on. It been a while on that twenty twelve bend are also, Yeah.
Speaker 2: So where you going? Okay, matching chain, all right, what's your last one?
Speaker 8: Last last one? Now? Secure us? Often typle will agree to that. The odds Matthew Harper Jillns gets married within the next five.
Speaker 2: Years zero, I'm going zero.
Speaker 3: Thanks for the negative zero zero point zero zero in honor.
Speaker 2: Of Matt Jones.
Speaker 4: I appreciate the call, Drew. Any chance Matt gets married.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think he's open to it, but since he currently doesn't have a girlfriend, it's hard to predict them to happen. If he were, you know, had someone he was dating. Seriously, I'd go a little higher. Yeah, I don't think it's like impossible, but I don't see it as things stand now.
Speaker 2: See, Matt always talks about me being mysterious, but I think Matt's mysterious in his personal life too, because I don't really know a whole lot about what Matt does when he goes home. He always says that about me, Ryan, I don't know. Like I know, you guys probably see him more because you live in Lexington and that's where he's at now all the time.
Speaker 4: But I don't never really hear what Matt does when he's.
Speaker 2: Not on the radio.
Speaker 6: Ryan, Well, he does protect his personal life and we all respect that. Sure, sure he'll he'll tell us what he wants us to know, and doesn't tell us most of the stuff.
Speaker 5: I catch up with him at ten o'clock with everyone else. I heard about the Reds games and what's going on at the house.
Speaker 2: See that's the thing, Like people think that we do all this show prep, but we don't. We don't. I mean, I don't ever talk to you guys at all reallyunless it's a group text, which I probably won't see until eight hours later, because I don't really do group text, as we've talked about. But Yeah, we don't talk about really anything before the show. We just turn on the mics and go. And sometimes that's obvious depending on today, but yeah, I'm going. I think we're all going zero percent on that. We'll take care.
Speaker 5: And with everything we've all gone through recently, with Ryan having his health thing, me having the baby we did, we haven't even gotten together outside of work in a long time. We do do it, uh, but here recently, the days have been few and far between that we've even gotten together outside of what people here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all these bachelor parties coming up, and you know what, I'm not gonna be there. I'm gonna be gonna be out, So you know what.
Speaker 5: We'll teke notes for you.
Speaker 2: There you go. You guys can you guys can talk about me while I'm not there eight five nine twenty two eighty seven. We'll take more of your asking anything calls coming up next. It is Kentucky Sports Radio. Welcome back. It is Kentucky Sports Radio. You get Shannon, you get Ryan Drew here with you. Will take more of your phone calls. Eight five nine two eight twenty two eighty seven. A couple of other people riding in with moments they realized they were old. Uh. When I told a college student to sign a form, they printed their name because they had no idea what cursive is.
Speaker 4: Do they not tesch cursive anymore?
Speaker 3: They don't.
Speaker 6: They went through an arrow where they do not teach cursive. So like my boys now try to write their name, like on a check or whatever, they they have to struggle because they do not teach cursive.
Speaker 2: So I'm confused. So how do they sign their name? They just print their name, Like if you have to sign a four you know, you don't just scribble something down, you.
Speaker 3: Like print your name, but just connect the letters.
Speaker 5: That's what they do. Underscores the like Drew.
Speaker 2: That was a big thing when we were in school, Like everybody had to learn how to do your like your lower case cursive and you had to connect the letters together, and then after you went through that, you had to do your your upper case. I mean I could still write every single letter of the alphabet an upper and lower case. I had no did you know? That was a thing Drew that people. I guess younger people don't know how to do cursive.
Speaker 5: I mean I could pass a test if if you put a paper front me and said write in cursive, but I probably haven't actually done it in twenty something years. Even when I write a check, I don't use cursive. I write my name, but I've just moved on from it.
Speaker 2: You don't even do like a little like scribble, because you know, when I sign my name in cursive, it's not like I spelt every single letter of the you know. I kind of do an S and an H and then like a sort of an A and then a little swoop and g it and maybe another G and maybe a Y, and you can fill in the rest.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 4: That's kind of the.
Speaker 2: Way I do it.
Speaker 5: My f is even a made up F that they didn't teach in cursive, So I guess I can't even count my signature. It's kind of my own little thing, but I couldn't remember the last time I've actually done it.
Speaker 2: Well, you want to worry about anybody forging your signature, then you know somebody else. Yeah, you can come up with.
Speaker 5: It made up letters.
Speaker 2: There you go. H One more person says on here. When I started taking pride in my yard being the nicest in the neighborhood, we don't worry about Billy doing that.
Speaker 4: We can get billy to mow his own lawn.
Speaker 2: But is that a thing though that it's sort of become a thing for me, trying to make the line look good when you go out and not only are you mowing the lawn, but you're like putting stuff on there that killed the dandelions. And you're yes, I think we talked about this with you, Drew. You said you had something called what was it that stuff you put on your well?
Speaker 5: I have Grandpa's weader tool. It's the greatest thing ever. Shout out to everyone that went and bought it. I get no commission on that, but Grandpa has a great product. Can't recommend it enough?
Speaker 2: There you go, But.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I tell you, I try to take good care of my yard.
Speaker 7: Here.
Speaker 5: Lately, the weeds have got a little at controlled. They're not like they're not visible, but you know they're if you got right up on my yard you could see them. So that's frustrating me. It's not perfect, but I try to keep up.
Speaker 4: You say your neighbor is mowing part of your property.
Speaker 5: Hey, hey did it again this week?
Speaker 2: Oh so okay, So what's the point to where you go?
Speaker 4: Enough's enough?
Speaker 2: I got to go over here and knock on this guy's door and go, look, man, this is my property. This is the link that I like my lawn.
Speaker 5: It's coming up. It just mows. It's so tight. I mean, it's like putting green and I keep mine tall. Also another issue. This isn't a big deal, but it's it's driving me crazy. I might have you a knock on the or happened again yesterday yesterday was trash day. Instead of putting his bins on the sidewalk in front of his house, which is about the same link to the sidewalk in front of my house, yes, he puts them in front of mine. So I have four bins in front of my house and there's zero in front of his. I have no idea why. Like, they're almost identical curbs, nothing blocking either one of them, but he rolls them over to my side. Should should I be bothered by that? It's just a small annoyance, but I want to be like, why aren't they in front of your house?
Speaker 2: I'm kind of with you on that.
Speaker 4: So you don't really know this guy personally.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'll wave, I'm friendly when they're outside. Couldn't tell you his name. We've not probably not had more than how you're doing conversation.
Speaker 3: They don't. They don't park a car in that spot.
Speaker 5: That you know, it just rolls them over to my side.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: See it's a small thing.
Speaker 5: But every time he does it, I'm like, what are you doing?
Speaker 2: I get him. I think you've got a legit argument there. I think you got You need to go knock on the door. You need to go air out your grievances. You know, I'm not saying you need to go fight the guy or anything.
Speaker 5: I'm not gonna find me as an older man. You'll get along fine with our waves, but just a couple couple of small annoyances.
Speaker 2: All right, we gotta take a break our one in the book. So I got a lot more random topics and all your calls coming up next eight five to nine two eight oho twenty two eighty seven.
Speaker 4: It is Kentucky Sports Radio.