Speaker 1: Welcome to the Wired to Hunt Podcast, your guide to the whitetail Woods. Present it by First Light, creating proven versatile hunting apparel for the stand, saddle or blind. First Light, Go Farther, Stay Longer, and now your host, Mark Kenyon.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Wired to Hunt Podcast. I'm your host, Mark Kenyon, and this week on the show, we're diving into the wisdom fill parenting philosophy the Klay Newcomb's leaned down as he's introduced his four children to the hunting lifestyle. All right, welcome to the Wired to Hunt podcast, brought to you by First Light, and this week we are continuing our series on parenting outdoor kids, and specifically today spending a lot of time talking about introducing your children to hunting. And our guest today, as I mentioned at the top, is the one and only Clay Newcomb. If you are not familiar with Clay Newcomb, I don't know. You must have been living under a rock or something. Clay is one of my colleagues here at Meat Eater. He's the host of the Bear Grease podcast, host of the Bear Grease road Show on the Media to YouTube channel, and I think one of our foremost thinkers, speakers, and storytellers within the hunting and outdoor community. He's a just a wise man. He is full of intuitions and insights and ideas and fascinations that I think we all can learn from. And so today that was my hope, is that we could get my friend Clay here to share a little bit of his experience in his journey as a dad and trying to introduce his kids and teach his kids about hunting and using hunting as an opportunity to grow young men and women. And he's had a lot of experience doing it. He has four children, two girls, two boys, and the oldest of which is twenty one. So he's been doing this for twenty one years now. He has seen what has worked, he's seen what hasn't worked as well. He has lived it, he's learned it. He has a lot to share. And man, I just wrapped up this conversation with Clay. I think there are some really really nice little gems here we can take away from this. We're gonna learn some things about his philosophy, and I think that is an important takeaway is that you know there isn't necessarily a one right answer to any of these questions about how to introduce your kids to hunting or fishing or the outdoors. There's no specific correct way to do any of these things. But if you can develop a philosophy, if you can develop a set of values or processes that you go through that will inform how you make these decisions, that will guide you as you go through life with your son or daughter and experience all that the natural world has to throw at you together. Having something to fall back on, a foundation, some set of ideas that help you make decisions throughout life. That's going to be helpful. And Clay shares with us his and I think we can all borrow from it in part, maybe in whole, to help us on our own journeys as mothers, fathers, and as hunters. So that's our conversation today. It is fun, it's insightful, and actionable, I think would be the last way I would describe it. So with that out of the way, I don't think we need to be labor this anymore. I think we should just get to my chat with Clay. It's a good one and I hope you enjoy it all right here with me now on the line, we have the one and only Clay nukembe Clay. Thanks for being here. Hey, Mark, I appreciate it, man, Yeah, I appreciate you making time to do this. You are a busy man with a seemingly endless supply of Bear Grease episodes to record in all sorts of adventures. So thanks for clearing the schedule.
Speaker 3: It's all hype, man, don't tell anybody, but yeah, it's it's it's it's not hard. I just, like you know, roll into work just whenever I want and don't travel much. It's easy, Mark, This is no big deal.
Speaker 2: You know what. You're good at a lot of stuff, Clay, but Lion is not one of them. Hey, what's what's the word on that Country Life? How's stuff going on that so far for Brent and you?
Speaker 4: Oh, man, it's it's I think it's going really well.
Speaker 3: So at the time we're recording, there's three episodes of this Country Life which have come out, which are the host of that show? Is my good friend your friend too, Mark Brent Reeves. Brent's from Arkansas. Brent's kind of been on the Bear Grease cruise since the beginning, not officially, but he's been involved in my podcast for a while and just a longtime friend. And so he now has a podcast. It's short, it's twenty minutes long. It's a monologue, it's kind of funny. It funny folksy teaches you a little bit, and just a real lighthearted, little little narrative about country living man. And it's going good. We're getting a lot of good feedback on it. And it's on the bear Grease feed So it's like part of kind of the bear Grease world, kind of like Foundations is for you and Tony Yep exactly.
Speaker 2: So Brent had an episode talking about the different things in his pocket. Right, has that made you at all any more self conscious about what's in your pocket? Or have you have you started thinking about that a little more now that folks are probably asking you about that, you know what? Brent?
Speaker 3: He sometimes people in media might like exaggerate the stuff that they do. Like for example, they might talk about all the stuff they carry in their pocket, but really on any given day they might not actually have that stuff. Brent, for real, for the last forty years has literally carried all that stuff in his pocket. Anything you do with him, you can be like, hey, Brent, where's that buckeye, and he's got the buckeye, which is shocking to me. He always has his case knife, he always has his pocket. I mean, it's not a joke what he did me Mark Man. Any given day, it's a wild card what I've got in my pocket. I don't have any routine, but I have been influenced by Brent, and I have been carrying a pocket knife, which honestly too much people surprise. Maybe I don't always have a knife on me, and I'm a little ashamed to say that, but it's just the truth.
Speaker 4: But I have been carrying a case case trapper.
Speaker 3: With me nice last month or two because someone gave me one, and I've actually really, I really like it.
Speaker 2: I've been torn on the knife thing. I've always had this little keychain knife. It literally looks like a key, but it has a little tiny knife that folds out of it. So it's very handy to have. You know, I don't open a package or cut a you know, small piece of rope or something in a pinch. But I've debated bringing an actual, nice, bigger folding knife with me, and I'm always off and on about that. I'll carry it around sometimes and it seems like bulky when you don't need it ninety percent of the time, but that ten percent when you do, it's really nice to have that larger, more functional piece. So I don't know, you'll have to tell me what the report is after a few more months, Carrien hears.
Speaker 3: What I've what I've learned about carrying this, this pocket knife I've been carrying is it's it's almost like just having something to do with your hands, like I'm holding it right now, not even I think I was holding it before we even started talking about this, Like I just kind of I just kind of fiddle with it all day, and it's I'm just conscious of it, and it's that's it's almost like you just use it, like not as a functional knife, but it's just like something to to fiddle with.
Speaker 4: That's that's that's bad. Maybe that's maybe this is not a good crutch, but I don't know.
Speaker 2: It could be better than some things I used to. Uh. I used to spin my cell phone as like a fidget thing. I would just spin it in my fingers and that led to me dropping it and having some damage several times. So knife is a better option. Ah On the topic of hand though, other than what's in our pocket, clay. As you know, I'm doing the series about parenting outdoor kids, talking about you know, we spend so much time on this podcast talking about how to hunt deer, how to hunt, how to kill deer, how to how to pattern deer, how to do all this kind of stuff, and we'd like to sess over all that. But I frequently think, why don't we? I shouldn't say that. I don't frequently think this. I think about this sometimes and tell myself I should be thinking about it more often, Which is how come we don't spend as much time debating and discussing how to get our kids and teach our kids about this stuff. Why don't we spend as much time doing that as we do obsessing over where's this big buck going to be tomorrow? Or how old is this buck? Or what pinch point will be the right one. So that's all to say. I wanted to give it some attention because I'm assuming you would say this would be true for you too, that as a parent, once you do become a father or a mother, it totally changes your priorities. It totally changes everything about how you experience the outdoors. But a lot of times we just kind of go along with the flow and we figure stuff out, and we don't actually explicitly talk about this with other people, like how do you do this? Or how do you do it right? Or how do you do it wrong? Or what are some lessons we can learn? And I don't know if that's just because everyone's experiencing it and so we don't feel like we need to talk about it, or if or if maybe it's because there's no real way to claim expertise on the topic. I don't know what it is, but well, I mean tell me this, Clay, would you consider yourself an expert on teaching your kids how to hunt or fish or be outdoors people?
Speaker 4: No? I No, I don't. I don't know that. Yeah, I don't know that.
Speaker 3: It's a it's a it's a categorization that could be labeled expert or not expert.
Speaker 4: Because it's such a.
Speaker 3: It's such a it's such a complicated thing because we're always well, let me step back. I think it is good for us to talk about this stuff and for every parent to think about it consciously, because anything we don't think about consciously, don't discuss, don't have some philosophy and even more than a plan, it's a philosophy, and that's different like a plan is like we're gonna A plan is more.
Speaker 4: External, like we're gonna do this, this, and this.
Speaker 3: A philosophy is a is an ideology of why we're doing what we're doing. And so if you don't have a plan and a philosophy, then you you result. You fall back to your default, which every one of us has a default way that we deal with our kids, which is often very flawed. And the thing about parenthood and mark your parent, I'm a parent and we were both parented by parents, is that is that anybody on planet Earth can look back at and see the places where their parents got stuff right, but also the places where their parents got stuff wrong.
Speaker 4: And the idea.
Speaker 3: Is that you would be able to ethically look back to your parents they did and be like, you know what, I'm gonna do something different. They tried hard, you know most of the time, most in general, most parents are trying pretty hard.
Speaker 4: Some aren't.
Speaker 3: But and you can say I'm going to do something different than they did, and then I'm going to take the good things and replicate that. But if you're unconscious of that you just can replicate negative patterns, and so yeah, absolutely, I think I think we got to take this serious. And I think there's some kind of tropes out there about how to introduce kids to the outdoors that are just not that productive, And yeah, I want to we can talk about those things for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we definitely do it. I love that point you make about how you know, I think parenting can be based on a philosophy, not necessarily like a set of steps or a strategy, but a philosophy that you can always fall back on or or I got to believe that that is also informed by like a value system. Right, there's all these things that come down the line that maybe we haven't experienced before, but we have a philosophy or a set of values that we can lean on to guide us, to help us make those new decisions or you know, kind of weather this unfamiliar territory. So yeah, I want to get into what your philosophy is, what some of those negative tropes are. But before that, I want to first get a little more context. I'd like to personally even just better understand a little bit of how your early years built you to who you are and led to the parent that you are now. You mentioned this idea that a lot of us, for some of us, it's the only real training we had in parenting is just looking back on how we were parented, right as you just mentioned, and probably for all of us, we can think of good and we can think of bad. What do you remember about your childhood, Clay, What those early years were like when your dad or other family members or friends were helping introduce you to hunting and the outdoors. What stands out as being those formative experiences or lessons.
Speaker 3: So I can talk pretty freely about this because I've talked very freely about it with my with my dad, who everybody in the Bear Grease world knows because he's on my podcast a lot. He's I have a I have a great relationship with my dad, and and so I would have I was born in seventy nine, so I grew up in the eighties, you know, as a as an adolescent and teenager in the nineties, and the the idea of introducing kids into the outdoors, the philosophy of the age was very different back then, and and the philosophy was there was very little coddling, There was very little actually trying to make an experience pleasant for a kid. It was it was more just like, Hey, if you're gonna go hunting with me, this is where it's gonna go, and this is the way it's gonna be.
Speaker 4: And it wasn't like our dads were jerks.
Speaker 3: It's just that's just I mean, like my dad, he worked a regular job and could only hunt on the weekends and didn't hunt very much on Sunday, so he kind of had like one day a week to hunt. He was a very serious bowhunter for what he had and so man, he wasn't gonna let much get in the way of him doing what he needed to do to kill a deer, you know, during the postseason on public land in Arkansas. And so I had to just kind of get with the program. And both of my brothers didn't really like that program too much. And I think Dad would say, you know, he was probably pretty pretty hard to deal with back in those days. I mean, he just wasn't very accommodating, and honestly, I don't know that either of my brothers would have ever been that interested in it. And I'll kind of get into that a little bit later when I talk about I don't think all of our kids have to be hunters, nor do they want to be hunters.
Speaker 2: Yea.
Speaker 3: And so I'm not sure if he'd have done stuff different, if if the results would have been any different, because I have two brothers that don't hunting is not a big part of their lives. They both have hunted, and one of them is kind of getting back into it. But now, my first memory of bow hunting was the first time my dad actually took me out to hunt and I could.
Speaker 4: I had a bows in the fourth grade.
Speaker 3: It'd been shooting, could pull forty pounds, was legal to hunt. Dad took me out and put me in a tree stand way before daylight, and Mark I got, well, he puts me in the tree stand. It's like, man, I'll be back at ten o'clock and it is black dark.
Speaker 4: And how old he's going.
Speaker 3: I was in the fourth grade, so I would have been I think, nine years old. And he's not like going like one hundred yards on the ridge. He's getting in this truck and driving, you know, miles to some other place. And and I got scared to death and just started crying, I mean straight up crying. And it was a terrible experience, and he ended up taking me down and just kind of like leaving me in the truck while he went and hunted, and uh it it it was very traumatic for me, but I kept hunting with him and he did accommodate me a lot after that, but it was a negative experience. And so anyway, I think a lot of guys my age, your age would would probably have fairly similar experiences of dads that were just pretty hardcore, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So, so I love these stories of your childhood with your with your dad. I like to joke about how me and Gary would have got along real well when it came to deer hunting because we were on the same pronom.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Ye, but you told me when I was down there hunting with you guys a couple of years ago and I was talking with your dad, you had told me some of this, and you talked about kind of your dad's attention to detail and obsessiveness with things like scent control and and really having a detailed deer hunting program, and how his obsessiveness on that side of things actually drove you away from that style of hunting and that seriousness. Can you can you expand on that a little bit, A little bit, how like these experiences you had early on shaped who you then became as a hunter.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, so he my dad, you know, his philosophy, just to sum it up, would be to control the things that you can control to the t.
Speaker 4: And he grew up in the Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and and and actually that's my philosophy too. It's just it's my emphasis is in a different place. Yeah. And and so he grew up. He in the nineties kind of came of age and became a really good deer hunter for hit, for our area and for what he had and and a lot of that revolved around sink control. And so he just was like hyper meticulous about sink control. And he was kind of a gear guy. He loved gear, He loved tweaking on tree stands, he loves I mean, my earliest memories of bow hunting are being out in our.
Speaker 4: Yard at our lighted outdoor.
Speaker 3: Archery range, shooting our bows at like eleven o'clock at night, trying to get dialed in to go hunt the next day. And it's not like we waited till the last minute. It just thirty years ago, bows were just.
Speaker 4: Different than they are now.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, you just had to shoot all the time to stay consistent. And anyway, Dad loved tweaking on gear, and so that made me be ultra simplistic in my gear. Like if you sat down and meet with me and start talking about deer hunting, the last thing I'm interested in is gear. People are like, what kind of setup do you have? And I'm just like, I don't know. I mean, I do know. I mean, I'm very proficient in the woods, so you know, I've got some fundamental understanding of gear, and but but it's not what I get excited about. I don't get excited about tinkering with bows, and I don't get excited about all this kind of in my mind, the man made side of deer hunting than honting. I get very excited about being in the woods, hunting strategy in the woods. And and so I wouldn't say I certainly wouldn't say I'm any less serious. I mean, in some ways I'm more serious than my dad, but my focus was in a different place, and absolutely it came from his obsession with it. And it's funny because my son bar Newcomb, who's become a really good deer hunter, himself. He is, he's kind of gone the other way back towards like he talked to Paul and it's like, man, Grandpa, I think you got this figured out. I think my dad's kind of kind of light on the details when it comes to some of this stuff. So, you know, it's like this pendulum swinging.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: But but no, I think generationally we we learned and there's a whole lot of stuff that I absolutely are fundamental to who I am and how I bowhunt that came from Gary Nukem, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So so to overgeneralize and correct me if I'm overgeneralizing this too much. But if I were to say, what were some of the things that didn't work so well for you? It was maybe, you know, being pushed into your dad's way of doing things too much, to too much of a degree, and maybe sooner than you were ready. Would you say, if you had to kind of really simplify some of the challenges of Gary's approach, that kind of shaped you for better or for worse. On that side, I think that was the challenge, was that was maybe that side of things.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm not entirely sure I can I understand fully what you're saying there, I didn't kind of develop my own world until I was grown. Like, I did everything he asked me to do and wanted me to do.
Speaker 4: And that's the only reason I.
Speaker 3: Was successful when I was young was because I just I went with his plan. But then when I started hunting on my own and moved away, I was like, you know, I could do things a little different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let me rephrase that question, Claire, real quick. If you were to look back on your childhood and the way your dad introduced you to these things, if you had to point your finger at what worked and what didn't work, could you point me at a couple of things on each or one on each side of that.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't want to say that what he was doing didn't work. And maybe I'm still understand your question back because his system worked great for him, and it was more just about how we wanted to hunt that was a little different, So I'm still not I mean, like the difference in us today would be primarily the way we handle scent control.
Speaker 4: Is is that kind of what you're leaning towards?
Speaker 2: More so what worked for you as a kid when you were learning to hunt and learning to be an outdoorsman, and your dad was trying to teach you these things, or whoever else you were hanging out with that was teaching about these things and bringing you in. I'm curious that what were the things that seemed to connect with you, like what got you into the outdoors? What were the things that your dad did that made you be like, man, I do want to be a hunter. Man, I love this. This is how I learned some stuff. And then what were some of those things that Gary did or didn't do that made you think like I don't really want to go out and do this or this was traumatic you know, or are the examples of that From a parenting.
Speaker 3: Perspective, Well, I would say the dominating theme of my childhood with my dad was very positive, I mean, very excited about deer hunting. He was he he he portrayed it to me in a very appealing way. The way he talked about it, the way he dealt with it. It was clear to me that this is something that was highly that he highly valued, and so I wanted to highly value it. And and I would say that's probably the uh. Well, and aside from just the excitement of of.
Speaker 4: Killing deer with a bow.
Speaker 3: When I was young in in our area, very few kids were. I mean, for real, I was probably the only kid in my grade that was killing deer with a bow consistently in high school and stuff. And oh there was a lot of accolades that came from that and satisfaction.
Speaker 4: And it was all just because.
Speaker 3: I was I mean, my dad was putting me on deer, you know, and we were easing I mean, we were hunting public land. It wasn't like we're hunting over feet nobody was hunting over feet back.
Speaker 4: And so yeah, he did a.
Speaker 3: Fantastic job of portraying this lifestyle and just the camaraderie he had with his friends. All that was great. And I can't really point to anything he did wrong other than just I mean, for real, I don't know that he did it wrong.
Speaker 4: It just was what he had to deal with.
Speaker 3: I remember one time on Saturdays, if we went with him, we hunted pretty far away from our house, and so if you were committed to go, you had to hunt all day. And I remember one day I wanted to come back to some kind of school get together in the afternoon, and so I went with him that morning and then I was like hey, dad, can I go home? Which meant he would have to go home, and he took me home. I remember it was kind of like, what you want to go home? But he accommodated me on that. I remember that, which would have been hard for him because he got had to skip out.
Speaker 2: So yeah, he.
Speaker 4: Did a lot of stuff, right. I don't know if that answers your question, Mark, No, that does?
Speaker 2: That does? Is there anything now that you're a dad yourself and you've been one for twenty one years? Is there anything that you can point directly back to your dad as as something that you've carried forward with your own kids. So something your dad did with you that when you became a father, you were like, man, I gotta do the same thing with my boys or my daughters when I'm teaching them to hunt or bringing them outside or whatever it is.
Speaker 4: He was.
Speaker 3: He was very intentional with teaching us what was going on, Like he wouldn't. I still see, like competent fathers doing this kind of stuff today is just like taking a kid out and just putting him in a tree and letting him hunt without teaching him.
Speaker 4: I had friends that I went to school with.
Speaker 3: Whose dads did that and they killed deer, you know, with rifles and stuff. And we me and that kid would go out in the woods and they would have no clue really what was going on in deer hunting. And I would be like, man, we got to find some tracks and trails and scrapes and rubs and funnels and pinch points and and and you know, and I would just be like talking a different language because Dad trained me that way. So, so, really, teaching your kid to be a woodsman, and that's what I have really tried to do, and haven't haven't some some kids are going to be very receptive to that and others less receptive. But giving him, you know, he gave me the tools that I needed to be a successful hunter and trained me. I mean he trained me, you know, very intentionally as a young kid. And I've tried to do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Do you do you feel like, maybe you don't know the answer to this, but do you feel like your father took the same approach with your two brothers and it was just that they were just a different personality types, so they weren't receptive or was there something else that led to them just not connecting with this lifestyle the way it has for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think he did. I think he would have had the same approach with them. They just kind of had less interest from the beginning. I feel like they did and he And that kind of goes into one of my points, Mark, is that every kid is different, and so you to give them all a chance, you kind of got to have a different strategy with each of them. And I think he did have the same strategy with all of us, like exactly the same and so and I just had a natural tendency to lean into all this stuff, and my other brothers they just didn't as much. And that's what I've seen with my kids is the way I treat bar Nukem, who he's now seventeen and really is a competent hunter. I mean, you could just turn them out of the truck just about anywhere and say, hey, go kill an elk, go kill a bear, go kill a deer, and I feel like you'd have a pretty good chance. He just understands what's going on, and I'm much harder on him. I'm just very different with him that I am the other kids that are also hunters but just aren't as interested.
Speaker 4: As Bear is.
Speaker 3: And I would be a little more accommodating to them. I would not be as a as aggressive in planning with them, you know. And so that goes to that one of the things that I wanted to bring up is just like every kid's different and you got to treat them different.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: Is it a situation in your experience with your kids where you try to introduce them in the same way and then see how they react to it, and then you say, Okay, these two are on board with this, but these two it's it seems like it's going to be different, So I'm going to have to change my approach or you know, how do you? I guess what I'm getting at here, Clay, is what has been your experience trying to assess each of your children and their interest and how they're ready for the next thing, or how interested or not interested they are, and how much pushing or training or I don't know, what's that been like for you?
Speaker 3: Okay, I think that there's there are eight There are sectors of a child's development up until they're eighteen years old, when the parental influence is different at different times from zero to about eight years old. Mark, I don't I didn't let my kids make very many decisions. I made decisions for them, and I would I would be and this isn't dogmatic. I didn't do this every time, but to generalize, I decided when the kids went hunting with me and when they didn't. So it wasn't like, hey, do you want to wake up and go deer hunting in the morning, you know, ask a seven year old. I didn't get They're not ready to make that choice. I would say, Hey, we're going deer hunting in the morning. I'll wake up, We're have some breakfast, we're gonna we're gonna go out, we're gonna have a good time. We're gonna do this, and I would. I would basically interpret for them what they needed to be doing to give them the exposure that they needed. And then from about eight to fourteen, you start giving them some more choices because their preferences have begun to be formed and you don't want to oppress them. But also they're not fully making choices on their own. But that's when you might be like, hey, we're gonna go fishing over here. Would you like to come or would you like to you know, go do X activity, and you know, you give them a little bit more choice. There are times when you would just be like, hey, we're going hunting in the morning, this is the way it's going to go down, and you just make them do it. And then you know, by the time they're about fourteen, fifteen.
Speaker 4: To eighteen, there's a.
Speaker 3: Lot more choice, a lot more choice with them. Son, do you do you want to go deer hunting in the morning? If you do, you know you need to be up, you need to be ready. And so I think our hunting is a great place to to implement some of these just responsibility.
Speaker 4: Things that the kids are going to have to deal with in life. So I would.
Speaker 3: Say, and then in each in each sector of that, you're evaluating, you know, does this kid enjoy this? Do you think they're gonna grow up and want to do this? And my two boys are pretty different. Bear is just naturally just like just interested wanting to learn. My second son, he he loves to go. He's less interested in the details. And I think he'll come back to hunting and it'll be a big part of his life someday.
Speaker 4: I really do.
Speaker 3: He's I asked him the day, I said, Shepherd, how many deer have you killed? And he said, he said, he killed eleven deer and he's killed two bears. He's coon hunted with me a lot, but it's not his the driver of his life, you know, And you know you just kind of perceive that. So I'm I treat shepherd different than I do bear.
Speaker 2: What about differences between between your boys and your girls? You've got two of each, have you? Is there any noticeable difference in this approach you've taken between the two genders or is it just like child by child They're all different their own ways, regardless of if they're boys or girls.
Speaker 3: I would say it leans toward the latter of what you just said. My oldest daughter hunted with me when she was young. She liked turkey hunting. She's killed deer and turkey. But she was just from the very beginning, I just knew she wasn't going to probably be a real active hunter. We could just tell that, you know, she just wasn't that interested in it. My second daughter was very interested in it, and until she was about fifteen, I would say she was She was probably the toughest hunter of all the kids. Like if I was going on a difficult hunt, that wasn't going to be much fun, but wanted to take one of the kids.
Speaker 4: I would have taken River.
Speaker 3: And and she's still very interested in hunting. She she moved off to go to college, and so she hadn't hunted much the.
Speaker 4: Last couple of years.
Speaker 3: But I tried to treat them the same for the most part. Unfortunately, as they've gotten older, it is a little different with girls.
Speaker 4: And you know, somebody could get mad at me for saying.
Speaker 2: This, but.
Speaker 3: I'm a little less comfortable with my girls going out on public land. My girl going out on public land by herself doing stuff. I just am It's just the nature of the world we live in. And I've run into that because at times there's been times in the past when Rivers like, hey, I'm going to go out and do this, and I'm like, well, okay, let me think about that River where where I absolutely would let my son do it. And uh, that's just the truth of it, And it's an issue of safety and an issue of context. River at times has wanted to take the dogs out coon hunting at night by yourself on public land, and I've had to just be like, River, you can't if barrow go it.
Speaker 4: Did it y'all can go.
Speaker 3: And and I think that's okay to acknowledge that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is there anything else you found over the years with your two girls? Well, I guess you wouldn't have known until you had boys afterwards. But were there any other things that had to shift with your approach with the girls versus the boys, or when you had when you started going through these experiences with your boys you realized, oh, wow, I can do it totally different now. And that being because your two boys are both younger than your two girls, right, that's.
Speaker 4: Right, two older girls and two younger boys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So were there any other things where you realize, like, this does require fundamentally different touch or or set of you know, ideas, or could you apply the same general philosophy across all four?
Speaker 3: I think they were the same, Mark, I really do. I I didn't treat the girls much different than the boys.
Speaker 4: I really didn't.
Speaker 3: I I just just tried to to to teach them, tried to I did everything about the same.
Speaker 4: I really did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's one thing that I don't regret at all. But I I only I only have boys, so I'll never know what that is like or what differences may or may not be there.
Speaker 3: Come on, Mark, you're not quitting, honest, Sorry, Clay.
Speaker 2: I try not to be a quitter, but this is one phase in life where I am sign sealed and dotted delivered. I'm done.
Speaker 4: Okay, Okay. There can be surprises.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know the details of all the medical procedures, but stuff happens.
Speaker 2: Man. Yeah, we'll be having some stern conversations with the doctor if that ends up being the case. Clay, you hit on something a second ago, though, I want to dive into more because it's one of the big questions that I found myself wrestling with just in these first you know, five years of being a dad, and everyone I've talked to so far on this topic I've brought it up to, and that is this idea that you discussed kind of early on with your children. How you know hunting can be this opportunity to teach important lessons like responsibility and toughness, and so as you describe when your kids were younger, in your mind, you were saying, man, they just need to get out and do this thing. They don't necessarily know why or how, but I'm gonna I'm gonna tell them, Hey, we're going we're gonna be out there at this time, we're doing this thing. So there's that approach, there's putting your kids out there to do these things and developing some toughness, some fortitude, some developing some skills that will be important for them. That's that's one side of the hunting equation that I think hunting brings to the table for kids. There's this other side that a lot of folks talk about, which is, well, you got to keep it fun. You got to make sure they're enjoying the experience. You got to let them have some some choice in the matter, because if they're not enjoying it, then you're gonna push them out of this thing and they're not gonna want to do it anymore. And so it seems like there's this balance between trying to make the experience fun and enjoyable for them so that they develop a passion themselves, versus using hunting as an opportunity to teach important life lessons. How have you thought about that dilemma or that balancing act and how have you tried to approach that yourself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good that's a complex and a good question.
Speaker 4: I think it all.
Speaker 3: Goes back to these age brackets of kids and how parents interact with the kids during these particular seasons of life.
Speaker 4: My kids early on and early on in their life.
Speaker 3: I was not full time in the outdoor industry, so it's not like this was my job, but it was very much a lifestyle that I was. I wanted to live and so and Misty wanted to live. I mean, our life revolved around us eating wild game, you know, every day of the year, and being a family that loved nature and interacted with nature. And so my kids kind of I would like to think that they just woke up one day and gained consciousness that not every kid in the world had to do what they did. It's kind of like it's just like if you live on a farm, you wake up and you do the work, and you do the chores, and this is just my life. You know, a farm kid doesn't have an option to be anything different. That's the way we kind of handled hunting, and not that it was like a job.
Speaker 4: But it's just like, yes, what we do, it's like and I.
Speaker 3: Made a very the one thing that you know, man, when your kids are as old as mine, Mistery and Mark almost I would say weekly, if not three times a week, talk about the way we raised our kids and things we did right and things that we did wrong. And the one thing that we did right was for a decade plus, anywhere I went unless it just absolutely could not, I couldn't take a kid, which there was certainly hunts.
Speaker 4: I didn't take kids on.
Speaker 3: But man, if I went to the grocery store, if I went to bid a landscape job, if I went to scout, if I went to do anything, man, I just was dragging those kids with me everywhere I went, not for fun, just because they just needed to be with me.
Speaker 4: I wanted to talk to them. I wanted to teach him.
Speaker 3: I wanted to just be having be there observing me being a human. And that exposure today spent man that like kids have phones and kids have parents think the trend of the age is to think that kids have all these options and you'll damage them if you don't let them make choices.
Speaker 4: And boy, the biggest mistake that I feel like I.
Speaker 3: See parents doing is reasoning with a five year old or reasoning with a four year old. You don't reason with them, You interpret life for them and let them know how things are gonna go and and uh, and then as they get older and more mature, you begin to introduce choices and responsibility and all these things. I'm not answering your question directly, but basically, hunting. Hunting is just it's just a platform to teach your kids about all kinds of stuff. And am I out there like saying, now, son, this is a life lesson. When the acron falls from the tree, it becomes no, it's just like get out there, and I mean, you know we we we gotta work hard, we gotta we we've got to understand.
Speaker 4: I mean it just life happens, you know.
Speaker 3: Just even hey, we're going hunting, Go get the drinks, put them in the truck, and then come back and get those ratchet straps out of the garage and put them in the truck. I mean, just the exercise of having a plan, doing it, acting on it.
Speaker 4: There's just lessons all over it, you know.
Speaker 3: And then the rare time when you're actually kill an animal, Yeah, that's when you can be strategic about implementing ideology of why we do this and taking care of the meat and this is our food and this is healthy and sustainable and good and this is a celebration and this is you know, this is a pinnacle moment of our life, you know, at an external level.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, I want to I want to dive into two parts of what you just said there. But first the I want to explore an example of this whole toughness versus experience or fun versus toughness kind of situation. And I want to see how you deal with this. As an example, Let's say you were out there with one of your boys when they were let's say six or seven. This is that first phase of that parenting child relationship you've described. Let's say you're out in the hunt and you're sitting together somewhere and starts raining, and it's cold and it's windy and it's rainy, and you've been out there for a couple hours already and things haven't been going your way. But in your mind, you know, let's say we're turkey hunt maybe, and you know that, man, if we stick it out till nine o'clock or ten o'clock, there'll be that second wave of a gobbler starting to cruise through, and you know it could pick up. So in this situation, your son is cold and he's sick and tired of it, and he says, Dad, I want to go home. This is kind of miserable. In your mind, would you say, all right, he's not having fun anymore. We should get out of here to keep this from becoming a miserable situation. Or would you say, nope, son, this is this is how it goes sometimes, and in your mind you're thinking, man, you're gonna better for it, because you're gonna learn how to deal with being uncomfortable. And we'll see how some perseverance, you know, leads to better things. Maybe if we stick it out. What would you do in that kind of situation.
Speaker 3: It's totally subjective to what's going on in that kid's life. I when Bear Newcomb was he was probably he was probably eight years old. It was open today, Arkansas bear season. I wanted him to be with me in the tree when I hunted, and we went in and set for I think I'm gonna say six hours. It may have been longer than that, and it rained the last three hours of daylight. And he was the kind of kid that.
Speaker 4: Liked that.
Speaker 3: He knew it was hard, and he enjoyed the feeling. Like he was tough, and I was feeding him that. You know, I was like, bear, man, I think if we just set it out, I think we got a chance of the bear. And you know, you know I and he could tell that if he set it out, I was gonna like that and he was going to be tough and validated.
Speaker 4: And he he bought into that.
Speaker 3: And when we sat till dark, and to this day we talk about that because we sat so long in the dark that just waiting for a bear, just like last light that people back at camp came to check on us because they thought, surely they're gonna get down. You know, it's raining. Something's happened. And to the boy bear, the guy's back at camp were just bear.
Speaker 5: You sat there the whole time in the rain, goy, you know, And it became probably a really pinnacle moment for him. Yeah, another kid of mine, I absolutely probably wouldn't have done that.
Speaker 3: It might have ruined him. It might have just made them get back in the truck and be like this guy, my dad is crazy. This is the last thing I want to do. So it's tough, man, it's tough. You got to feed them just the right amount of toughness, and I think a lot of it would have to do with what you agreed upon before and how you communicated. I mean, sometimes it's like, son, we're going to go out today and if you want to come, I want you to come. But if we go, we're going to sit till dark no matter what. You know, if it rains, we're gonna be ready, We're gonna have some snacks. You know, it's just about communication. And if they agree to it and then get out there and want to change the agreement, then you might have the leverage as a parent to be like, son, we're going to sit it out, okay, and you know this is what we planned and we're going.
Speaker 4: To stick with it.
Speaker 3: Or if you just went out and things went really bad really quick, you might just be like, hey, man, let's let's jump in the truck and go home. I mean, your your kid has to trust you that you're not that you're not going to just you know, put them in a really tough situation that they weren't ready for, so that it's such a complex situation mark you understand. And then a lot a lot with even what's going on individually with that kid, you know, Yeah, it's a it's it's it's a lot of contextual things that would make that decision.
Speaker 2: So you're telling me there's no simple step by step handguide I can look at that's gonna give me all the perfect answers for every situation. Cli that is exactly right, Mark, Yeah, that Uh. This is That's why this parenting thing, I think can't be talked about enough because there is no one right answer. There's no clear cut way to do any of this stuff. It all comes down to case by case context. It comes down to your kids and the current moment in reading the situation. And and that's why I think what you said at the beginning is probably so important. Having a philosophy or a set of values for like having a system, right, Like, you're not going to have a rule book. There's not going to be like a ABCD is always going to be the way it goes. Every situation is going to be different. We're going to encounter all these different circumstances. But if we have a basic philosophy that we can lean back on, say, okay, well I've never seen this before, but I do know that A, B and C are really important to how I make these parenting decisions, and I will run this new circumstance through that philosophy, and that will give me the way to approach this thing, right. I mean, I think that's what we have to try to be building, is building what our philosophy is and then learning how to apply that to each new day.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm, Mark, I have I have four things here that I think if I think I can say I'm right now and to make sense in the context of our conversation, I've got kind of some bullet point bullet point statements about introducing kids the outdoors.
Speaker 4: Can I run through those?
Speaker 2: I would love to hear them?
Speaker 3: Okay, Point number one and this would be on a power point if I presented it to a group of people. If you had said, Clay, I need to hear a presentation about how to introduce kids to the outdoors.
Speaker 4: What's important? These four things would be on it. Number one. The parent, the adult has.
Speaker 3: To be a whole safe person who a kid would want to be around.
Speaker 4: In general.
Speaker 3: You know, this is like taking it way back, like we could be talking about sports, like how to intro produce your kids to sports, how to introduce your kids to cooking, how to introduce your kids to horseback riding. And the number one thing is is that you've got to be a person that a kid would would would want to be around and enjoy being around, you know, because if you're if you're a tyrant, if you're if you are dismissive, if you're not engaging with these kids, and then all of a sudden, you want to take them hunting and be super engaging. And I think this might be more of an example for like hunters outside of a direct family that were maybe trying to introduce a kid into hunting, not your own kid. It's just like, I mean, if your kid doesn't want to go with you to the grocery store, they're probably not going to want to go with you hunting either, you know. So that's like a fundamental thing. Part two would just be every kid's difference. So you got to make it right for them, you know, the idea that you got to have be loaded with snacks and make it easy and make it simple and make it fun. And that works for some some it's not the best strategy. It certainly wasn't. The strategy that got me into hunting was making it easy. Some of my kids I've intentionally made it hard for them. I mean, bear nukemb, we were hunting bears over bait for years and years and that's just the way we hunted bears. I intentionally told bar Nukem, because yeah, bear hunting over bait is for sure a higher probability of success than hunting out in national forest. I mean way harder hunting a national forest. And bear could have killed a bear over bait when he was six years old and I told him, I said, son, I think you ought to kill a bear in national forest for your first bear. And so he every year watched his brothers and sisters kill bears and other people, and he could have gone and sat on a bait, and he didn't. And he finally killed when a national forest when he was fifteen. Like, we made it hard on purpose. But my second son, I let him kill a bear over bait when he was like twelve, so make it different.
Speaker 4: And then.
Speaker 3: Basically the philosophy that I would have would be that I want to introduce the kids to the excitement of interacting with nature. That's what we're doing, and that would be teaching them about the woods, teaching them about the the trees, the mushrooms, the grass, the barn owls, the foxes, the coyotes, the river systems, the mountains. You know, having an understanding and interpreting that for them. I mean, a kid drives, drives. You drive past a mountain, and a kid doesn't know that that's cool. I mean drive past the mountain and be like, look at that mountain, man, And that thing was formed by when tectonic plates bumped up against each other so long ago that humans don't even have record of it. And and the top of that mountain there's different animals that live up there then live at the bottom. And on the north side of that mountain there's a whole different set of trees than is on the south side of that mountain.
Speaker 4: That's wild.
Speaker 3: Like just being excited about it, like interpreting for them when you hear barred out, My goodness, did you hear that barred out? And you know, so that's a philosophy. It's like, I want my kids to to see value and interaction nature. And then you know that comes down to actually taking an animal and taking it home and eating it. But the main thing that I would say is that not every kid is going to be a hunter. And so, but what we want to do is leave every kid that we interact with with a positive impression about hunting in the natural world. So like, my oldest daughter's not up, she's probably not gonna be a big hunter, and she may never hunt again the rest of his life. But my goal with her was that when she leaves my house and she goes out into the world, she's proud that her dad is a hunter and that her family ate wild game, and that hunting is this positive thing in American culture. And that's what we can do, I think, with every kid, because they're just not gonna be hunters.
Speaker 4: Like, you know, you take.
Speaker 3: Ten kids, it's probably about the national percentage of people that our hunters are gonna be hunters.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know you do.
Speaker 3: And I don't know what that would be. Two or three of them at most would end up having some connection to hunting. Seven of them aren't. But those seven that aren't can at least be like, yeah, my uncle was a hunter.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's really cool. He was a pleasant human to be around.
Speaker 3: They they were they they dealt with this thing in a competent, intelligent way, and they wouldn't describe it like that.
Speaker 4: But you understand.
Speaker 3: So the goal is I just want my kids to have positive impressions of this lifestyle. And that's really meaningful in our broader society, as most people aren't gonna be hunters.
Speaker 4: We don't need them to.
Speaker 3: Be hunters, but we need and want people to view hunting for what it is, and it's this great platform for conservating wild places and wild animals, and it's not just this barbaric thing that is is dead and dying, you.
Speaker 4: Know, yea. So those are those are my four things.
Speaker 2: Those are great, Clay. I'm curious how you what your take is on how to handle that last point you brought up, that being the fact that not every child grew up to be a hunter, and you mentioned your oldest daughter is an example of that. I imagine this being a challenge as a parent trying to read that situation, trying to decide or understand, Man, is my kid just not that into it? And should I keep pushing it? Should I keep introducing it? Should I keep offering it? Should I keep trying to move the needle there? Or do I just need to accept this situation and recognize, Okay, Bill or Jenny or whatever she's she or he just is not. This isn't going to be their thing, and I just need to stop pounding it because that's just making it worse. What has either been your personal experience dealing with that with your daughter, or what would your advice be to someone else who might be trying to wrestle with that themselves right now? How do you understand that and deal with it?
Speaker 3: I think a simple answer to a complex question, as it goes back to those age brackets of parental influence inside of a kid's life. Your five year old is not capable really of deciding whether they're going to be a lifelong hunter or not. A sixteen year old has a much more robust understanding of whether this is something that's going to be a part of their life or not. Not totally, but they've got a much better understanding than of five year old. So you know, if your five year old doesn't want to go hunting and that's a big part of your life, I would say absolutely, don't give them a choice. Make them go with you, make it fun, Do make it fun, to accommodate them.
Speaker 4: But.
Speaker 3: Build it in is just this is well, and I think parents just give kids too much choice. Your kid was put in your family for a reason, and you and your wife get to decide the culture of your family. That's the design of the universe, and you have the right to say this is who we are. And then as they graduate out of that, they get to make choices. So what I'm saying is there's there's a time period when you do push it pretty hard, and then there's a time period when you let go. So I think just as the kid gets older, you see this is not a major thing for them, you can you can back off a little bit.
Speaker 2: You know. This brings me to another one of my current questions of the topic that I'm thinking a lot about right now with my oldest son, who is just seems to be really really into all this stuff, like he's just eating it up. He's obsessed. He wants to hunt all the time, he wants to fish all the time, he wants to go with me on every hunt, he wants to see it all, do it all. He's really eaten up with it. So I am wondering about and wrestling with and thinking about the appropriate way to foster that excitement and that fund that he has right now his love for the thing. How do I balance that with also the necessary teaching of the seriousness of this and the sacredness of life and taking a life and teaching respect for this kind of stuff. And you know, an example this would be, you know, a lot of young kids get a BB gun at some point. And I don't know if your childhood was like this, Clay, but I got a BB gun at one point, and I was just like a little kid that wanted to go on a tear and I wanted to hunt every little bird I saw and every little chipmunk. And that was probably part of what, you know, helped my progression as a hunter, and just having those experiences as a little kid and learning to do the thing myself. On the flip side, how do you introduce, you know, concepts of not taking more than you need or not killing something flippantly. And I'm wondering now, as my son has a BB gun and I'm trying to think, like, man, how do I make sure he's still enjoying himself? But also when do I introduce these concepts? How do I introduce these concepts without it being over his head or without it smashing the fun out of it? Because I'm like, no, you have to this this. Did you experience any of that yourself, Clay, what are your thoughts on that balancing act?
Speaker 4: You know, I think I think it is.
Speaker 3: It should just be kind of intuitive how you it was, it was you would scale down your philosophy to the knowledge level of the child, just like you would with anything. Like when you're driving in a car and your four year olds in the back seat and he says, Dad, why do you why are you driving like that? Why do you drive on this side of the road or why did you stop there? And you're like, well, Sun, when you drive and the red light's on, you have to stop. When it's green, you go. You know, you just dumb down driving, or you know there's a speed limit, there's this, and and I think it's the exact same way. Like you, as an adult have this pretty complex, pretty robust system of ethics and values that dictate that Yep, I will shoot a deer out of a tree stand in October, November, and December, but I won't shoot one with a rifle out of season in June. It's like, you know, uh, that's really clear, and and so you just translate it down so when your son brings home a bird that he's shot.
Speaker 4: You be like, wow, son, good shot. How did it happen? Where were we at?
Speaker 3: And you'd be like, man, this is a beautiful bird. Look at these wings. Can you believe this? This is incredible? And you know, when you're dealing with birds and baby guns, that's a little gray area there, but I think we all did that. And then you say, man, this this bird. You know, we gotta we gotta find a way to a bird's wrong. Example, let's let's use a game they kill a quail and you're like, and it's in season, you'd be like, oh, man, this is beautiful, incredible shot.
Speaker 4: Good job. Well we gotta we're gonna eat this, We're gonna use it.
Speaker 3: Just bringing it down and yeah, and when the sacredness of law that I think is instilled in a kid very early, and it's totally done by parent describing that, you know, at their level and and and understand that we don't take an animal's life flippantly, but also that it's very normal, you know, to eat stuff has to die.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's uh, I think what you're saying resonates with me. It's it's all about reading your child and where they're at speaking at their their language, at their level, and balancing the the joy of the moment with the seriousness of it. But man, it's it's It does also sometimes seem or at least maybe this isn't for everyone. But I constantly find myself looking back and saying, did I do that right? Am I doing this the right way? Am I? Am I screwing up my kid? Or am I setting him up for success? Was he too young to see me? Got that deer? Is he old enough to understand this? And should I have him out with me when I'm doing this? Is this? Is this too soon? Is this too much?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 2: I'm constantly wrestling with those kinds of things as I'm navigating these waters for the first time, doing the best I can. But there's no report card that you get at the end of the day that says, well, you did this right. You got an A here, you got to be here, and a C there. You know, I don't have that report card. So it's one of those things that you never quite know and you just hope that you're doing it the right way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you just got to expose them to it.
Speaker 4: I've had somebody ask.
Speaker 3: Me that before, like would you let your kids watch you get here, and oh gosh, absolutely. From the very beginning, it's just like kind of a I like, just a common sense approach to parenting. It's that if this is something that's permissible for me to be doing, then it's okay for my kid to be introduced to it at some level, you know. So it's like, absolutely, let them watch you get a deer. Talk to them about the sanctity of life while you're doing it, and talk to them about food on the table, talk to them about the life of this end, you know, at the level that they can understand.
Speaker 4: But the other extreme is that we just bombard them.
Speaker 3: With with all this philosophy that they're not ready for.
Speaker 4: I mean, sometimes you just gotta let them shoot the bird, you.
Speaker 6: Know, yeah, and uh and and and then at a later time it's like, hey, done, we're probably we probably ought to only shoot birds that you know, that we need or that we specific kind of targeting or or you know, not you know, introducing some level of responsibility into the thing, you know, in stewardship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, uh, what about time away from your kids? You mentioned this a little bit how early on when they were young, you were taking them everywhere with you, but you know, except for certain hunts where they couldn't join you. And so this is the thing I've thought a lot about, which is, you know, when I when I hear about my dad's childhood or when I look at my childhood, I can hardly think of any hunts he was doing that I wasn't with him, you know, once I was you know, old enough to tag along, and he always talks about man he was with his dad all the time. I am at a situation in you too where I want to take my kids with me on on lots and lots and lots of these experiences, but I also, you know, I also want to still do my own thing. I also want to be able to go on these hunts or have to go on these different experiences where it just wouldn't be safe for possible to bring my boys along for some of these things. And so I find myself sitting out there on day seven of a you know, rut hunt where I haven't seen my kids in seven days, or where you're in Alaska on a moose hunt or something you haven't seen your kids for fourteen days or whatever. How have you thought about over your twenty one years as a father, Clay thought about this balancing act of balancing our own personal obsession or passion for hunting and the time and we spend out there by ourselves, and knowing that every time we're out there by ourselves doing this thing, we are not spending time with our kids. How have you thought about that, How have you tried to approach that balance of balancing your own personal interest in time doing this with the time with your kids.
Speaker 3: Well, I think you've used the key word there, and that is balance. And because there's got to be a balance, Like there's absolutely times when you're gonna go hunting and your kids can't come, and that's okay. That is so introduces boundaries to your kids that are going to be in every other part of their life.
Speaker 4: So I think it's okay.
Speaker 3: I think it also goes back to family architecture, which family architecture would just be like, what is the design of your family that you are using to live life successfully? And if you're if you're a hunter and your serious deer hunter, and you you and your wife feel like this is an important part of your life and what you're supposed to be doing, then then absolutely I mean, there's gonna be You're gonna you're gonna go to Iowa and hunt for seven days once a year and it's just okay.
Speaker 4: And you know, my dad did.
Speaker 3: That, and I remember some of my most exciting times of hunting was when he was gone, and I could not wait to hear how it went.
Speaker 4: That was a big part.
Speaker 3: And I don't know if my dad, I don't know how that happened, but I vividly remember once Dad went to South Texas deer hunting, and the whole week I was just I mean, I was talking to the kids at school, Man, my dad's down in Texas. He might kill the world record down there, I told. I remember thinking that, I mean, because it's like it's possible. Yeah, I mean he's in Texas and uh and so yeah, it's it's balanced and and you and.
Speaker 4: I both know it.
Speaker 3: There the seasons of life when things are permissible and when they're not. When my kids were young, I was not in the outdoor industry, and it would not have been permissible for me to devote, you know, just an incredible amount of time to being gone, like financially and Leaven Misty with the kids, like there was just a time when that wasn't quite as.
Speaker 4: Normal as it would be today.
Speaker 3: And now their kids are older, and so I think the balance of life and with your spouse is trying to find what's the correct architecture for our family, you know, because you don't Yeah, I mean, hunting is not is not really that important in the big scheme of things. It's it's you've got to you've got to find a way to balance life.
Speaker 4: And it's going to be different for everybody.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, we go to you know, I'm really involved in our church and involved a lot of other men's lives, and it's like I hu more than any of them, and it's because architecture of our family.
Speaker 4: It's like it's my job.
Speaker 3: And even if it wasn't my job, it was, it's just it's just I built my life this way on purpose. And uh, there's other guys that maybe just hunt one or two weekends a year and that's kind of the architecture of their life. So it's like what's correct for you, what works? And a lot of that's determined by you and your spouse and how you decide you want to live your life, you know, and if and if it's right, it'll be great for your kids, you know it'll be it'll be good for your wife, it'll be good for your kids. And if it's detrimental to them, then you know, that's where you start making adjustments. And it might just be a seasonal adjustment of you know what, I probably can't go on a ten day hunt. I could go on a six day hunt during this period of time.
Speaker 4: I understand.
Speaker 3: I can't go on three big hunts every year, you know what, I'm just gonna go on too. And I think that's the maturity that we got to have as parents, is knowing when those times are and and and when they're not, and just kind of being okay with it. And it's kind of a bummer and it's just life. But you know, you're really fired up when you're in your twenties, and then by the time you're in your thirties, you're you're you're competent, you have a little more money, you may have a little more time, and but oftentimes in our thirties is when our kids are kind of in the heat of their development, and so it feels like parenting overlaps in conflicting ways. Sometimes our natural desire to want to go and do stuff, and it just you just got to find the balance, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so true. And I think a lot of it is just trial and error too, Like we to all of the stuff, right, we don't know, We're not necessarily going to know the right answer to every one of these situations. So you try something, you try the best you can figure and then you got to read it and assess, Okay, you know, how did this last year go? Did I have the balance right? Or was that trip with my boy? Did I push it too far? Did I not push it enough? And then try again a little bit different next time, and just keep on learning. I mean, it's the same thing as becoming a better deer hunter, right, It's you try something, you assess how it went, and then you adjust. You try something, you assess, you adjust. I think as long as you keep trying to learn and keep trying to adjust, you're going to move in the right direction. But that's a process, and it takes it takes thoughtfulness and a sense of purpose, Like you're going into it knowing that this is a process and knowing that you're trying to learn versus just blindly doing stuff and not thinking about it at all. There's something there, a little of a hard pivot, Clay. But one thing I was curious about before I let you go is this, If I were to look at Clay Newcombe and your connection to hunting, it seems like hunting for you has been something as connected you to the past uniquely. Like that's something that I feel like you talk about a lot. You have seemed to allow that to inform much of who you are as a hunter and otherwise. And I'm just curious if that's something that came to you by way of your family. Was that Was that something your dad was talking to you about when you were a kid. Was he talking about, well, well, we're doing this and this is the kind of thing that our ancestors did, or that Daniel Boone did, or that so and so did and or does that? Was that something that's naturally developed for you? And uh, you sought it out yourself. That's that. That's part one of my questions. Part two is then how I'll get lost?
Speaker 4: Get lost? Because I think I've got a good answer.
Speaker 3: I think that I saw, No, my dad would not have been interested in history. I would not have been that interested in history.
Speaker 4: Growing up. But I think that I came out of.
Speaker 3: I kind of came into adulthood and recognized that I came out of a very cultured place. And by cultured, I mean things were done on purpose, things were this is the way that people thought about this, this is the way people handled that, this is the this is what people valued like And I'm talking about in the hunting space.
Speaker 4: And I became curious as.
Speaker 3: To why we were the way we were, And I think I just kind of bumped into looking back at some of these guys and being like, oh, Gary nukeom is that way because of this thing way back in American history or the.
Speaker 4: History of the South.
Speaker 3: And it was really interesting to me because I think we're influenced by a whole bunch of stuff that we're unconscious of. And so you know, just and you've heard me say it, Mark, but a great example is that, you know, Daniel Boone introduced to the world old really the idea of loving and cherishing wilderness and solitude. Before that, in the general, the general philosophy of the world was that the wilderness is where you went to die. The wilderness. You know, we were we had been trying to get away from wilderness for a gazillion years, and we came into civilization, and then this American boon went to Kentucky and someone wrote a book, and how much of it he did I was on purpose, I don't know. But he talked about solitude and loving wilderness, and all of a sudden, Americans were like, Yeah, we don't have big cities and beautiful thousand year old architecture. What we have is wilderness, and and that became a part of the American identity, was love of wilderness and solitude. And it's like, that's why we love bow hunting, that's why we have all this public land that you know, was like, hey, let's let's save some of this. That's why we have federal wilderness. Is that the ideology of somebody way back. Leopold and a bunch of these guys were like, man, let's save some of this, just as it was for people to go and find solitude. And I think it's interesting to just see where that connects.
Speaker 4: To the past.
Speaker 5: Mm hm.
Speaker 2: So then part two. My question then is have you tried to help your children make those connections, make those connections during their childhood when you were raising bears, A Hunter, were you bringing these stories up and talking about these things? If so, you know, I'd love to hear more about that.
Speaker 3: Or if not, you know, the answer to this mark all day every day brother man. Living with me is like it's like Misty Misty and the kids. They would tell you it's like NonStop Beargrease podcast.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: I talk at them all the time, and I'm joking and kind of making fun of myself because they make fun of me. They kind of roll their eyes sometimes, but I know they're just joking. I think so much of parenthood. I I talked at my kids for years, like if we're riding in the truck and they're not talking and they're eight years old and we traveled a lot, just all the time. Yeah, and I would just talk to him, I mean, just tell him stuff that was way over their head, but just just thinking this is gonna be it's gonna be more developmental for them to hear their dad just talking than than to just sit there or to listen to dumb country music, you know.
Speaker 4: And and that really was the philosophy that I had. I mean, I and I think Gary Nucom did that to me. Uh, he really did.
Speaker 3: Dad loved just he just would talk to me and and and.
Speaker 4: Not ask much from me at times.
Speaker 3: And I've done that with my kids, and so yeah, they they know about all this.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 3: I think we've got to interpret for our kids and show our kids what we're passionate about, and we don't have to amend that for them. Like I don't really care if my kids think Daniel Boone is cool. I do, and I'm gonna talk to him about it, and I'm gonna tell them all this stuff.
Speaker 4: And and I think that they.
Speaker 3: May not care about Boone, but it teaches them how to to be passionate and informed, and they'll take that template for their life and go out and be passionate about something, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So so I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't tell them what I think they want or need to hear. I just I'm trying to just be who I am and and and and show that to him.
Speaker 2: You know. Yeah. That resonates with That resonates with me a lot. And I'm gonna use you next time. My wife rolls her eyes at me, and you know, bemoans the fact that I'm a constant. She calls me a tour guide whenever we go anywhere with kids or even with other people. I'm like, well, this is this moan and this thing happened here, and two hundred years ago, this thing happened and did you know that, A, B, and C and so, Yeah, they feel the same way about me as it sounds like your family does about you. So I'm going to tell my wife next time, like Clay said, this was a good thing to do and that she should appreciate it, and I will say the same thing to my boys and we'll.
Speaker 4: See that absolutely their ears off.
Speaker 2: Man, I'm going to keep on keeping on. So I got one last question for he then, Given your fascination, I think would be fair to say of the history of hunting and the American wilderness and rural America and these different things that you've you've dove into over the course of the years of the Bear Grease podcast and much of our other work, I'm curious if you can point to any one lesson that you have tried to share with your own children that came to you from someone in history, someone like Daniel Boone or the ancient American hunting cultures, or or Warner Glenn or any of these folks that you've studied over the years, can you point to one lesson from one of them that has been important for you to pass on to your children.
Speaker 3: Hmm, Man, that is a really specific question. Mark if I.
Speaker 4: You know, a lot of my.
Speaker 3: Deep dive study of history, to be honest with you, has come in more recent years.
Speaker 4: I think that's a tough question.
Speaker 3: It's a fair question, because I think I would talk to him about that kind of stuff all the time. I don't know that I've got a real I can't say, like, well, Boone went into Kentucky and did this and did this, and so this is why we're doing this, Like it's not quite that direct, you know, sure.
Speaker 4: I think I think maybe in general Boone.
Speaker 3: Probably reading Robert Morgan's book Boone ten or twelve years ago, one of the most fascinating things to me was how so much of Boone, who's this American icon was influenced by Native Americans. Boone was Boone because of his interaction and adopting and being taught the ways that Native Americans interacted with the landscape here, and so you know so much of and so I think that brought back into me a deep appreciation for Native American cultures, which I've translated.
Speaker 4: That to my kids.
Speaker 3: I feel like just when we you know, with all the stone points we find and us just talking about it. So I don't because my original fascination wasn't necessarily with Native Americans. It would have been more with you know, people like Boone or Crockett or whoever.
Speaker 2: So may not be exactly what you're looking for, Mark, but Clay, I'm never looking for anything other than the thing that's on the tip of your tongue. That's true to you, and you always you never disappoint You've You've shared a lot of really interesting ideas here, Clay that have helped me personally. I think there's some things here that can help me in my thinking and my practice as a as a father. So I thank you for that, Clay.
Speaker 3: Right, Well, you're a great You're I said it the first time you I was on one of your podcasts, Mark, is that you're you're a fantastic interviewer. You asked a lot of really insightful questions and that's meaningful.
Speaker 2: So well, thanks, I got one last question for you then on that Oh you've you've said you had one last question like four times. I know that's one of my interviewer tricks to keep dragging you along. Clay, you write that down and try it out next time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I love it.
Speaker 2: Oh. My last question is simply, what is there anything folks should be looking forward to? Can you preview anything that's coming down the line on the Bear Grease podcast or Brent's podcast, anything that folks need to know about the work that you're doing that they can look forward to and that they should come and check out in the coming weeks or months. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't ever do this. I would never do this.
Speaker 3: On a Bear Grease feed, like tell people what I'm working on, but I'll tell you and your people, Mark, all right, when does this come out?
Speaker 2: This will come out on May? So this is next week, So May.
Speaker 4: Eighteenth, Okay, no problem, we are.
Speaker 3: I'm working on a robust series on Davy Krockt, which is it kind of it's funny. It's funny that you brought up what you did. We don't always do these kind of big time iconic folk Key Rose.
Speaker 4: You know, one of the main our big historical series that we've done. We did what on Daniel Boone, which was.
Speaker 3: Maybe one of our most popular ones we ever did a lot A lot of them are are are lesser known people like Hult Collier, who was African American guy that guided Teddy Roosevelt for the bear that would influence the Teddy Bear. That was one of the most fascinating series we ever did. Hulk Collier was born a slave and ended up guiding the president on two bear hunts.
Speaker 4: Uh, Hult Collier.
Speaker 3: We did a series on Cumpsa, which was the Shawnee leader who was just lived an incredible life, incredible story. And then, uh, we're now doing this Crockett series. And we don't do always historic stuff. I mean, I know a lot of your people probably aren't. Maybe they're not listening to Bear Grease, but we do. We do stuff on living people. We do basically anything is on the table that is of interest too well to me.
Speaker 2: I'm excited about that Crockett series. My son Everett loved your Boone series. And just this morning we had a request. We just got to our place out in Idaho. So we're sitting at the breakfast table and we're looking out over the mountains and my son says, hey, Dad, can we listen to the Davy Crockett song? And so we put on the Ballad of Davy Crockett by Fest Parker, and then and then after that we listened to the Daniel Boone song by fest Parker, so it's fresh on my mind too.
Speaker 4: Wow, that's awesome, man.
Speaker 3: That's funny that we're going to talk a lot about that song and the Walt Disney stuff that that made that famous Crockett.
Speaker 4: Crockett's life is pretty fascinating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll be looking forward to that one, and I'm sure my boys will too. So keep up the great work, Clay. You are doing world class stuff. And I know I'm not the only one who appreciates it, but for everyone out there, I will just say one more time, thank you.
Speaker 4: All right, appreciate it, Mark, Thanks for the kind words, all.
Speaker 2: Right, and that's a wrap. Thank you for listening, Thanks for being here, Thanks for continuing on this journey as we discuss our role as parents and how we can introduce our children to this incredible wild world that we get to enjoy. As I mentioned already, make sure you're checking out everything over in the Bear Grease World, the Bear Grease road Show, the Bear Grease Podcast, this country life. All that is great. Clay has a lot to offer and we're thankful and fortunate that he's putting it out of there into the world. So check it out, subscribe to his podcast, watch the YouTube videos, and until next time, my friends, thanks for being here, and stay wired to