Speaker 1: All right, O, mar thanks very much for being with us. First question, Yeah, first question for you. Team starts ten and three. Obviously we saw what happened down the stretch. How do you kind of evaluate the season overall?
Speaker 2: You know, I'd say, you know, we were ten and three, we felt good about where we were, but the reality is we lost five fraight games and that's unacceptable and it's not good enough, and you know, so it's disappointing how it ended, and it can't happen again. Where you know, we have to be self aware and review everything that we've done and how we do it, and we're in the process of doing that and make sure that doesn't happen again.
Speaker 1: I think the argument can be made and has been made, that the quarterback position is the most important position in all of sports. Art Rooney said after the year, Look, you got good production from Justin Field, good production from Buston Wilson at times both of them that he wants to make a decision at the quarterback position. Where does that stand as we sit here today?
Speaker 2: Reality is right now, you know, three guys we had last year on the roster are not on the contract, So you know, our preferences to be able to have one or a combination of those guys as part of our roster in twenty twenty five. Right now, all options are on the table until that happens. But that's that's where it's handed.
Speaker 1: You've had two very well regarded drafts. How do you feel about the process leading up to the draft with you and your scouts and your team.
Speaker 2: I feel really good about a process. You know, we always do review it every year to see, hey, how can we get better? You know, what can we do differently that's gonna maybe help us out. But you know, the group that I have a great group of people that work that I work with. But yeah, overall, I feel good about the process. You know, I love being here in Indianapolis. I've been coming here since I think nineteen ninety seven, since I was when I was an intern with the Saints, and you know, I just love it. It's a great process, it's fun, and this is the opportunity for us to acquire players that are going to help us win our championship.
Speaker 1: I did want to get back to the Combines in a moment, but first, you know, looking back at last year's class, four of your seven guys basically didn't play, but they did have a chance to go through the offseason workouts, to go through some of the camp, to sit into meetings, that sort of thing. So how do you evaluate those players?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's almost like a red shirt year for those guys, right, you know, you hate that that happened, that these guys were injured because we felt like all all, all of those guys gotta helped us last year. You know, guys get hurt and unfortunately, you know that we had some draft picks, but you know, I'm glad we have them going into twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: So fans get to see the sprints and the cone drills and the workouts. Is there a single most valuable part of the combines for you and your staff?
Speaker 2: So I'll say what I get, what I enjoy the most, or I think it's it's for me, it's important. It's really the interviews, you know, the opportunity to spend time with these guys on the formal interviews at night. When we get those guys, it's so important, you know. We we take full advantage of that time getting to know the player, identifying if he's a Steeler, if he's the right type of player for us and the guy that can help us win. You know, we want guys that are that are winners and you know that love football and winning is important to them. So the interviews for me are a big part of this.
Speaker 1: What else are you and your staff trying to accomplish here in Indianapolis?
Speaker 2: You mentioned getting to know those guys, but then also you know, the field works important, so you know, you know, we'll see how many guys actually participate out there, but you know, the field work, it's it's an opportunity for us to reaffirm what the scouts saw on tape, so you know, and we have some meeting schedule here with our our the agents, some of our players, and you know there's a business to be done here too.
Speaker 1: As you look at the draft, are there strengths and weaknesses of this year's draft? And what would you classify as the strengths and weaknesses?
Speaker 2: It's a solid draft, you know, it's been well documented. The running back prospects are pretty pretty good this year. There's there's a ton of guys and that we would feel good about. And I think the d line has a good core group, the edge rushers there's a good group corps of edge rushers out there, you know. I think there's some playmakers out there, guys that get you know, you can get in the early round, not only in the early rounds, but in the later rounds. You know. I'm really excited about it, you know. And the process continues, and there's still a lot of time between now and April.
Speaker 1: So see, you have quite a bit of cap space available, and you've been aggressive in free agency since you you've been in the gentleman aged. You've gotten starters, and you've spent good money in free agency, and you've been aggressive. Do you expect that to continue this year?
Speaker 2: I'd say we will be consistent with the way things have gone in the last couple of years.
Speaker 1: So I think this is a fascinating question about team building. Right, So you have the draft, you also have free agency. So does one inform the other? I mean, can you look at free agency and say, well, we think player position X running back is great, so maybe we don't pursue that as much.
Speaker 2: In free absolutely, you know, you kind of evaluate that. But the reality is sometimes a player might at a position of need, might might still be sitting there in free agency. That might make sense for you, or something might come your way that maybe you didn't think was going to come your way at the beginning. You know, there's a lot of moving parts with this, and but you know, you look at it all. One obviously affects the other, but you have to balance how how that works.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're trying to maximize like your roster right by these two processes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, we're always trying to add good players at every position group, so you just try to get better.
Speaker 1: So for all the fans out there, what happens now next after these combines wrap up, what is sort of the next phase for you and your staff?
Speaker 2: Sure, we head back, you know to Pittsburgh after this weekend. We go back and kind of reassess some things that we saw here, and then the guys just really start hitting the pro days. That's the next phase of this. You know, Coach and I will attend to several pro days. We're we're trying to figure out where we need to go we'll make the most sense. But scouts will all be out there. We know some of the assistant coaches, we might be strategic as to where we send them. And then you know, the guys. Come back in April. We have our next next phase of draft meetings, and then you know, the draft. Draft be here before we know it.
Speaker 1: It can't wait. Omar, thanks very much your time.
Speaker 2: I appreciate having me on. It was a pleasure.