Speaker 1: This is Let's be clear with Shannon Doherty.
Speaker 2: Hello, let's be clear listeners. My name is Samuel Blair, and you may recognize me maybe from Cruel Intentions or Legally Blonde, Hellboy, or actually a TV series called Zoe Duncan, Jack and Jane that I was on on the WB with Shannon Doherty. Is my WB network mate who is on Charmed at the time. But I am honored, honored, honored to be hosting this episode of Shannon Doherty's podcast. Not only did she leave us, of course, with an incredible body of work and lifelong memories, she is an integral part of my childhood and formation of vulnerability and showing up. And I only knew Shannon peripherally and on the edges of the inside and outside of a reef and care, but she made a big impression on me.
Speaker 3: And I can't believe that we are in a world that Shannon Doherty is not physically here on She was such a such a part of everything for the listeners here of course, our fans, and and even for me. So there is something that she really connected us all too. And so I'm so honored also to have the wonderful Amanda Clutes on today, whom I love very much and and I want to welcome Ms Amanda, who is also a hero and is nominated for an Emmy as co host of The Talk on CBS, and also of course a Broadway star and beauty in my in my knowledge of everything about you, you are a star and a beauty and a healthy living advocate with your online also so of wellness products.
Speaker 2: Yes yet called proper health at Target, which is so exciting to me that you are so so such a star in this space. Because of course, Miss Amanda, we met you know when you were so front and center as like the world's cheerleader in the beginning of COVID, when you know, real tragedy struck your life. But and that was so formative for me of how to behave in a crisis as an option for how to be your best self in kind of the most trying, challenging, heartbreaking times in my opinion. But hello, and welcome to the show. Let's be clear, miss Amanda, how are you doing today? Good morning from California. We're both right here in California, aren't we.
Speaker 4: I know we're only like ten minutes away from each You forgot to mention Dancing with.
Speaker 1: The Stars kid.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, no, see there's too much thank you.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, not for me, for you when you were saying your introduction.
Speaker 5: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Okay, right, well, I've been around like so many years. I could either pad this resume or just make it short, you know, because I've kind of touched on you know so much in this life. But yes, you know what's so amazing is, of course you are an incredible dancer and performer, and you are a huge reason why I actually did something like Dancing with the Stars, and of course Shannon, she also danced, and Shannon was you know, I remember when Shannon was feeling so so ill when she was going through treatment, and I'd still watch videos of her on Instagram where she is, you know, heading to dance class after a chemo and sweating it out and wanting to really feel alive and in her body and feel that joy. And I was like, whoa, I can't even do jumping Jacks. I can't believe that she's showing up for this, And that was really inspiring to me. And then you, of course, just seeing you move and the joy you had and talking to you, and you were actually a huge reason, both of you why I did something so out of my comfort zone of dancing with the stars. And I was so grateful I did because it was such a wonderful example of showing up, like just showing up and having people help me and just show up and put in the work. Yeah, and it really changed my perspective on how I relate to other people, how I relate to fans, dancing fans, people going through things like it was such an important part of my you know, growing up.
Speaker 1: Oh my God, and Selma, what you did on that show.
Speaker 4: I mean the dances you were able to do, and your grace and everything that you showed the world. I mean, it was just amazing. You were amazing on that show.
Speaker 2: I learned it from watching you, Miss Amanda. That means so much, because really, as anyone knows, when you do something that's really kind of uncomfortable for you. Although I always wanted to dance, I don't, you know, I don't. I'm not a dancer, and so to even do ballroom dances and you know, I was still just still recovering, but god, it really moved the needle for me. You know, it gave me a lot of stamina and showed me that I could get through a day and I could get through hard things again, because I think when you're so traumatized or maybe not feeling well, you just don't know how to expand, yeah, or.
Speaker 1: Even get up and move.
Speaker 5: Yeah, how to get up and move?
Speaker 2: How to expand? I am someone that if I'm left to my own devices in grief or staleness or you know, when I'm when I'm in a rut, I do like to be alone and ruminated on on it for a bit and come up with like my plan for getting through the day or week. But to do a show like that, I found it actually was was amazing. I hadn't been on a set for a long time period because I had been you know, unwell and able to work for so many years, and I forgot how much that camaraderie, how much we need And of course we were in you know, this really kind of a very hard time with people being shut in years ago that we all want to forget about of you know, COVID times and get getting into a new you know, vibe of life and doing a show is is what we do, Like it is the best thing for me. It's like, yes, I can do that. Someone can tell me to show up time no matter what my grief level is, and I will do that. You know, I will show up. I will learn a dance, I will do something. And when someone puts music on and cares for you and holds you to learn dances, it is the most vulnerable and inspiring and caring kind of camaraderie you can have.
Speaker 1: Do you think really therapeutic?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean it was.
Speaker 4: That whole experience was so healing for me and so therapeutic, and it was not what I expected that to be. You know, I expected to love ballroom dancing. I expected to learn how to ballroom dance.
Speaker 1: I couldn't wait for that.
Speaker 4: But the whole healing and therapy for me and that show was a whole different ballgame. So so grateful for that, And I'm so glad you had that experience too, because thank you.
Speaker 2: I loved it so for our listeners at home. Obviously you were going through huge grief and had you already written your book at that time. No, it was still early.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, no, the book was out.
Speaker 2: Yeah not okay, So the book was out and you were on Dancing with the Stars, and then right from Dancing with the Stars, you went straight to working as like a host, do you Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was already doing that as well.
Speaker 2: And oh you are already doing it?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, God, I know.
Speaker 2: And you had your son Elvis, and you had so much now as a single mom who was obviously and you know a lot of huge life change and honoring your love and marriage and moving on with your career. And where are you now, like from that time and now? Also for people who are going through huge grief of life change or upset or you know, taking care of beloved children, anything where you have to show up to kind of be your best self when you might feel like, how do I do this?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You know in a couple however you go through it. How what was the real catalyst of being able to go, Wow, this grief, this grief is okay? Living in me, I mean you always felt like that even from the start for me almost you were very like into your body about what was happening.
Speaker 5: Yeah, every day.
Speaker 2: But to be where you are now with so much going on in the wellness space and so many people looking up to you and being such a light for so many people, and mom and an incredible mom and a sister and all these things. How are you today?
Speaker 4: Gosh, you know, it's so interesting, Selma, because it's like I think in the beginning, I was keeping myself so busy and not even on purpose. It's just like, you know, how this goes, like opportunity comes and and were the type of people that yes, yes, yes, and how much more can I put on my plate? And I think it was a good defense mechanism in the beginning of not running away from my grief because I always confronted it.
Speaker 5: You lived it, You lived your grief.
Speaker 4: Yes, I lived it. I was aware of it. I you know, writing about it helped so much. Talking about it so much helps me. But I really kind of feel, honestly like it did take a good like two to three years for it to sort of sink in. And I'm not even going to joke around. I'm going on July will be five years that Nick will be gone, which is crazy to me. And this past January February was some of my hardest grief months that I've ever experienced.
Speaker 1: That's like four and a half years into grief.
Speaker 2: Did you feel really alone then, like everything kind of you know, stabilized in your life and you're like the grief, Nick is not here.
Speaker 1: I don't know it was, it was.
Speaker 2: It just hurt.
Speaker 4: It hurt like the beginning of days. It hurts so bad that I was on my kitchen floor screaming and crying to Nick. One day. I was like, I couldn't. I couldn't get out of it. And I will say one of the things I have become really good at is that when I'm at a low like that, I'm immediately like, Okay, what am I doing to help myself? Get back into therapy? Let's do some reiki, Let's do some energy work, Let's do some meditating.
Speaker 6: Let's so hard when you don't want, like when you're in grief, it's so hard to get out of the ball, like it's I have. I only have a few good friends, like in this life as seriously, so many of my friends. I realized last night and had had some grief too, because I realized all my closest friends have passed, you know, like really every every one of my closest friends, including you know, my childhood boyfriend or whatever, They've all.
Speaker 2: Died, and and I actually felt bad for myself last night. I was like, oh my god, there's been some. No, it has not been, thank God, the biggest grief that I feel I couldn't endure, like you know, something God forbid happening to my child. The things that I feel like, I don't know what I would do if that happened. You just don't. You just can't fathom that pain. I don't like to touch that, but it is there is as we go through life, even just the regular process of life, not even huge tragedies. You know, if you're lucky to have friends and go on in time, they die before you do, you know, And I don't know. It was just and I just thought of you, and I thought, oh my god, how you could show up for your son and be able to be in the ball on the ground or be able to you know, just have those days where like this hurts. I'm uncomfortable. I'm uncomfortable. It's uncomfortable. And how to you know, do you express that to your son? Because I think there's like my son doesn't seem to be affected by my moods yours. It seems so sensitive and so in touch with you, you know. Of course he I.
Speaker 4: Always said he was an old soul. I'll never forget friend. The day that Nick passed away. I got home from the hospital around like ten thirty in the morning and my girlfriend was watching Elvis and I walked in the door. She gave me a big hug. I grabbed Ovis and I took him into the bedroom I was sleeping in at the time, and I laid down with him. He was one, and I looked at him and I was like, it's you and me, kid, And I swear to God, this little baby at one years old looked at me, and the lookie gave me was like I got it.
Speaker 1: I got it. It's you and me, and we.
Speaker 2: Surely remember that, Like I really remember this whole time. And I held you. We all held you, but I held I personally love you, I just love you and know you. But I I just it touched it touched. It touched me so much and still does. How you are such an incredible mom with your with your love and your sharing of just.
Speaker 5: The saved me.
Speaker 1: Elvis saved me.
Speaker 4: I mean that, you know, I was lucky in a way that he was only one because I didn't have to I got to grieve on my own time. I didn't have to watch him grieve as well. You know, and and I still really haven't.
Speaker 1: I don't. It's like I don't know when his grief will kick in, because he.
Speaker 2: Still is Daddy to bed on the pictures, like, does that still is? It?
Speaker 1: Still does? He does?
Speaker 4: And he talks very like because I've always been very candid with him and honest. You know, he'll say to his friends, my dad died. My dad had holds in his lungs and he died. And he just says it very like frankly and so like it hasn't hit him yet.
Speaker 1: I don't think, and I don't know when it will, because grief is is love that we can't express any longer.
Speaker 2: You and your family have given him so much love and all the you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Allergy is telling you my allergies are?
Speaker 5: You know what?
Speaker 2: I lie sometimes and tell people I have allergies. If I feel like my eyes haven't like woken up for the day, I don't have allergies. I don't allergies. Sometimes if I'm too tired, I'm like, oh, my allergies. Does anyone have a clarison, because I'm like, I got to wake up. I don't think I've ever had allergies.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, are killing me right now.
Speaker 2: Sorry, miss Amanda. That's a thing in your wellness products to help with those allergies.
Speaker 7: I wish they did.
Speaker 1: No I have.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna take my greens though, in my immunity because that's always helpful.
Speaker 2: If there's one thing for someone that does not eat, like eat correctly yet in the morning. I'm really learning these things. What's one thing you'd tell me I should absolutely have in the morning to start my day, because I am that person that has black coffee and water and you know, a Vitamin D a week.
Speaker 1: Yes, I would say I do.
Speaker 5: That's not true.
Speaker 2: I do have my special things, but I want to hear your special Okay.
Speaker 1: I mean I do a couple of things.
Speaker 4: But my first thing is is I blend lembon and ginger and olive oil, and sometimes I put a cucumber in there and I drink.
Speaker 2: That before you go to the bathroom and throw up.
Speaker 1: No, it tastes really good.
Speaker 4: Then I have my immunity from Proper to get all my guidamin seed. Then I have my coffee, and I have my greens from Proper, and then I pee for like five hours straight. And I'm so annoyed by all the liquids I've drink because I just keep going to the bathroom.
Speaker 2: If I have your proper greens, if I have that on an empty stomach, if I don't do this smoothie with the olive oil, yeah, I like an eleven. Sorry, then but I can still have those greens and they'd still be good to me because I'm really looking for a quick way to get in a little.
Speaker 4: Oh no, they're really good and they don't taste greeny. They taste like a bright green apple. It's really refreshing.
Speaker 2: Actually, oh really, did you come up with flavor? Like all you were like, I need I need this.
Speaker 4: To taste We were very very adamant about it tasting good and it not costing a million dollars because I wanted it to be accessible, affordable and taste really good. Because I really was like, I I look at this as like a product that I want my mom and dad to drink. My mom and dad are not the healthiest eaters. My dad has orioles for breakfast. Yeah seriously, And the fact that my dad drinks my greens powder. I'm like, I did it. I did right, I did it.
Speaker 5: You did right?
Speaker 2: I know, like you're like, if I've done anything right in my life, I finally by doing this product, I've gotten Dad to have.
Speaker 4: He drinks it and he's like, this is actually good, and I'm like, I know, Dad.
Speaker 5: I am really proud of you.
Speaker 2: I mean, it so makes sense you it's You're the perfect person for this. How many products do you have, because I'm just starting doing collaborations now that I'm you know, feeling so much better and I'm back in the workspace. How many products do you have?
Speaker 4: Improper We have five different super food powders, and then now we have like the sticks of them so that you could travel easily. Yeah, and then we have two more coming out very soon, and then we've got It's so exciting. It's so fun because you know, I love wellness.
Speaker 2: Thank God, there's someone out there that does to help me.
Speaker 1: I mean, my thing is we have one body.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know this, Yeah, that's exactly I joke because that's always kind of been my stick. But it is the most important thing now, I mean, this is this is this is all we have. And now even from Dancing with the Stars, you know, and seeing how Shannon would dance and you dance, and all these I'm not dancing in I saw I saw Sasha the other day and now that you know his girl's out of town for a while, he's like, you want to learn to dance, you know, and I watch them and I'm like yeah, and I'm like, I'm going to get in such good shape again. You know. It's like, why don't I just do that on my own? Oh, because I don't to dance. Well, like it's you got to get someone getting the energy. And I'm one person in the house with my kid who is now thirteen fourteen, so he's wanting to be like off, you know, it's not it's not so much mom time. And it's really kind of hard to generate. I'm not a self generator, like I'm a reader. I'm a self I love being alone, but I like to read or kind of goofy dance by myself. Nothing i'd want to like share with the world. And you know, make very simple recipes. You know. I like food, cooking, like baking. Nothing that's like good for me. Love baking because that's little recipes, but it is it is a little you know, it's tough to like self generate and get up on the morning and do these things, and so I don't know this, This wellness space is always inspiring because now I have to. I just like even watching those videos on Instagram are like, Okay, in the morning, do this for twenty you know, twenty times and you will not feel sick. Do this and you will have no inflammation. I'm like, okay, I can do those.
Speaker 4: Isn't there like Descline or something where you're like, they're all these singing.
Speaker 2: Ones and they're all the ones you see of the old people in the park doing and you're like, god, I guess when you get old there and do this if you're do this. But I'm old now I have to start doing this now, so you know. And I also I partnered, which I'm so excited about with a skincare skincare line that I love because I had gone through such a crisis with my skin and not taking care of myself and being unwell and all these things happening and not knowing what to do. And as soon as that had even cleared up, like I felt so much better, you know, like a lot this was years ago, and so now that I'm doing better and you know, kind of shouting out the things that have helped me and working on my life, but you know, of sharing that, but typically my whole life, I was very I didn't pay attention to that, and I really was really comfortable kind of being the negative kind of dark loving girl, not like negative ooh, but that was just my comfort zone. And now all I want to do is feel better and look better. And I hope it's not too late. Is it too late for me? No?
Speaker 4: And I think, honestly, we are very lucky to live in Los Angeles because I even noticed when I go to New York. Los Angeles is I think way above the trends for wellness and longevity, right.
Speaker 2: I know, I've lived here so long that I think the first ten years I lived here, I kind of tried everything, and as I was also trying to feel better so many years ago, like Santa Monica, it's like all the healers went as far as you can west, you know, get to Oh I get to Santa Monica. They're like, we've gone as far as we can in the world with our new teachings, searching for the best ways to live our life. And I've done I did so many great modalities and you know, yogas and ire Veda and meeting so many great people, and then I've kind of stepped back from all that and just now seeing what people are up to again.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, there's so many things.
Speaker 4: The hyperbaric chamber, Okay, okay, do you really do that because you actually breathe all the time because you exercise.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 4: But I think that oxygen, like that intense oxygen really is amazing.
Speaker 1: I love hyperberic chambers.
Speaker 4: I love saunas I know Sasha is a big sauna person.
Speaker 1: And cold plunge.
Speaker 5: I like the cold.
Speaker 2: I love the cold plunch. I won't do a technical one because I haven't bought one, but I have a pool that I don't eat. Yeah, just a couple of ice cubes in there in the winter. You're like, it is, like.
Speaker 5: I bet it's cold. It's cold.
Speaker 2: I don't know how lot cold A real cold plunch as to be. I think my pool's like fifty that's good. Yeah, that's not cold enough. Your cold plunge is probably like thirty eight.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, for women don't need it as cold as men. Men can handle it. I've just learned this and listening to a podcast that apparently women should stay in like the forty five to fifty degree water, and men can go down to like the thirty eight to forty three, but it's not necessarily great.
Speaker 1: For women apparently to go that cold.
Speaker 2: Okay, I remember I knew Carral Lagerfeld humble brag, but he used to. Yeah, he lost this massive weight, you know, but he was much heavier back in the day and used as fan because he was fitzing because he wanted to cover his double chin for pictures. So like you learn all these things. You just see me now as I'm getting older, like walking carrying a fan all the time, so all the like unsightly parts that I feel are covered. But anyhow, what he lost all this weight so he could fit into a Eddie's lamine suit. You know, it was like going fashion went really tiny, and as the great car lager felt was so inspired by all things vanity and style and fun, he lost a huge amount of weight naturally to look amazing, and he did, but he would only swim, you know, his pool. He kept very warm because even if it was like a little bit under, he felt that it built like an adipose tissue that was unsightly. Oh interesting, So when I jump in my cold pool. All I think is like, oh no, am I like growing my like whale fat to protect me? Oh like the you know what I mean? That's he was so sensitive about it. When he was doing laps, He's like, I can't be in a cold pool.
Speaker 1: But that's so funny. I've never heard of it.
Speaker 2: I don't want to developed like an adipose tissue.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that is hilarious.
Speaker 2: I think my mother would have been like my mother was one of those people that was like, nothing looks as good as being thin feels, you know, like nothing tastes as good as being bad. The things you can't say now because we're in two and twenty whatever we're in and people don't talk like that. But when I was growing up, yes, you were allowed to say things like that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I mean I was a dancer, professional dancer.
Speaker 2: Right of course.
Speaker 5: You heard her full life.
Speaker 2: Oh that's so refreshed.
Speaker 5: It's really comfortable for me for.
Speaker 2: People to like be like, hey, hey, get yourself together.
Speaker 4: Yeah no, I mean my my whole sixteen years on Broadway was about how you know, I mean, every diet and every weird thing I try. I mean, I remember for a while I was eating celery for dinner as my dinner.
Speaker 5: How'd that do?
Speaker 2: How'd that go? Have energy for shows and stuff? Like? Did it matter?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 1: Ironically, Well it was celery and peanut butter. So maybe it was the peanut butter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's and that's like a healthy big meal day if I'm accelerate peanut butter. Arthur's like, oh my god, I can't believe you could.
Speaker 4: I mean, you just look back at these things. You're like, what was I doing? But you know, when you're you have that dancer mentality and and you know, like you said, I guess we could do.
Speaker 2: Anything when we're young, Like our body is like holding all the reserves of our energy and vitamins and like we have such a store to draw from. But I feel, as I age and I'm quite a bit older than you, I really do need the wellness and the advice and that because for someone that didn't train themselves young, and it wasn't on team sports and didn't have I did do sports and things, but I really didn't have that mindset of you know, keep going with a smile type of vibe. I keep going, but I'm going to let you know that I don't want to be here, you know what I mean, Like I, as my friend says, you know, like I've needed to like take a lap and like adjust my attitude. And now I do feel like in my life I've taken a few laps and I'll take many more gladly. Like I'm not claiming to be Susie's sunshine, but I've changed so vastly. Yeah, in the past, like probably six years has been my growing up years. And I'm so impressed by you. What an early bloomer you are. You're such a young one and I look at you and I'm like, yeah, I got here now, you know, I have a whole different life. I've lived in a whole different sphere of things in school and Midwest and whatever. But it is pretty it is pretty incredible to at least kind of feel a little bit like I'm on the Amanda Clues vision of life.
Speaker 1: I just feel like.
Speaker 4: We kind of I feel like we keep evolving and changing, and I think there's eras of life, and you know, I mean I'm in a new not I'm not in a new era, but I would say like since twenty twenty, yeah, there's just been a lot of growth for me, especially just you know, being in this world alone now raising Elvis as a single mom.
Speaker 1: You know, that's like a whole new growing era for me.
Speaker 4: And it's been very very informative, hard, fun, awesome.
Speaker 2: Do you have your work friends? Like, do you have work friends? Do you make your la group of friends? It's such a hard place here I find it. I'm happy, but I am I'm an isolator because it's such a commitment to get in a car and do something. We live close. I couldn't adore you more. We haven't seen each other in a while. I go to text you, I'm like, oh my gosh, I didn't respond to this from nine years ago.
Speaker 4: I love you.
Speaker 1: It's okay.
Speaker 4: I know we do live like literally five minutes five to ten minutes away from each other.
Speaker 1: That's absurd.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you ever go hiking, will you please? Like I have to have someone just knock on my door. That's the good thing about being near Sasha.
Speaker 5: Yes, Like, if he knows.
Speaker 2: That I'm isolating too long, he'll knock on the doors. Like sounds sounds like coffee. I don't. That's a terrible accent.
Speaker 1: No, that was actually pretty good.
Speaker 7: That was pretty good.
Speaker 2: Okay, they'll know each other a happy thing, though I jump all around just because I can't help it. I haven't talked to you in so long that I'm like, I don't know where to start today, ask anything real, but you know that one of one of our favorite things is going places that are gorgeous, like hotels. I really love it so much. Do you still get out, Like are you a hotel snob or just your good attitude carry you through the worst of hotels?
Speaker 1: Oh I'm gonna admit that I'm a hotel snob.
Speaker 2: Oh good because you were off to sometimes like on Broadway or traveling, if you did dance stuff, troops or this or that, and we can go along for anything paid like I've done horse shows and whatever. Like I can go to a Best Western, no problem. I mean like I have Motel six, no problem, Like thrilled find you know what you're getting. But if you're going, you know, like great, wonderful, clean, happy, but for a vacation, like to really get away like no.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I always say, if I'm leaving my house that I love so much, in my bed that I love so much, and everything's so comfortable and comforting, I need to like we have to we.
Speaker 2: Have to exceed that. We have to exceed my house is it beach, beach or mountain.
Speaker 1: I'm a pisces. I have to love the water. I love the beach. Yeah, it's healing for me. I love the mountains too.
Speaker 4: But like I if I can wake up and go to sleep on the beach, I'm so happy, Like it just is what I need in life.
Speaker 1: It's my favorite thing in the entire world.
Speaker 2: I feel the same way. We're gonna have to get a house by the beach.
Speaker 1: One yes, yes, you know.
Speaker 4: I I luckily with my fitness brand, I get to travel a lot and teach.
Speaker 1: And I was just in.
Speaker 4: Cabo teaching, Oh my gosh, and it was lovely. And I was in Hawaii last month teaching. So it's really a fun you know. I worked so hard to build that company, and now it's the reward of being able to travel and teach all over the world and stay gorgeous hotels and meet people from all over the world and inspire, you know, hopefully inspire and motivate them to get move in and move their body.
Speaker 2: Are there so many people? Do people come up to you, do they look at you for the movement and dance and wellness, or there's still so many people that come up to you for you know, how you help them get through their own hard times.
Speaker 1: I think both a lot of people. I think both a lot of people are very grateful to have the motivation.
Speaker 4: And then a lot of people have come up to me in the grief community, and I'll say, it's like, that's something that's super unexpected. You know, when I lost Nick, I didn't know anything about grief. I had lost a gram, I had lost grandparents.
Speaker 2: Right, I was going to ask, had you touched a real tragedy before that? Although very Oh, if you think touch losing your young husband when you're a young single mom, it's just not when you're away from your family, you moved to a new state, start a new life, and everything you're blindsided on a you know, Sunday evening or I can't remember what you know, but blindsided in your life is irrevocably changed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, it's a side, it's a it's a level of grief that I'd never experienced. And so I will say what has helped me so much is connecting with other people in the grief community, especially other widows and widowers, and I never would have thought that, but it is so comforting. I was teaching a fitness class in New York the last time I was there, and this woman came up to me afterwards, and she said, I'm a fellow widow and I just like my heart and I just we gave you to the huge hug. And she's like, I have three kids and I lost my husband three years ago, and.
Speaker 1: We just like I instantly did with her, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because we don't. I don't always go through my day with big connection, even though you know you might want to or whatever. But it's when there is a woman that comes up to me, well not just women, but it usually is women. I think that I probably had affected in my own life, but people come up to me and have gone through something similar like lost a parent from a chronic illness or you know, neural you know, neural degenerative issues and some things you know that you know in my own health experiences that might have touched them, or my attitude or wanting to move forward. It is it's like an it's it does so much for me, you know, it grounds me in that day and gives me so much gratitude for being where I am now, and I want so much now for other people to know that they can that they can have hope, because if my attitude can even change, and and that's really what getting a diagnosis for me really helped me love myself more because it gave me the affirmation that I hadn't been feeling well for so long. And I think someone when you when you don't feel well for so long, other people, you know, when you're you just think there's nothing you can do. It really affects people obviously out in the world who are in that same boat, and of course you with it, going through unparalleled grief, and then they find themselves in a similar boat. You know, there's real touchstones that people have in you and and maybe even in my story, and I do find that kind of such a gift. And like Shannon obviously back to Shannon as we're on her podcast, but her vulnerability, her strength, and you know, she was of course always lovingly known as the bad girl, and I had met her in the you know, after the bad girl era that she joke about, you know, what does the bad girl doing? And she turned out to be such a good girl in her vulnerability and her strength in that in sharing it with what was sometimes a really unkind media world to her in some ways like early in her life, you know, being in the spotlight for her in your life since thetle House on the prairie or whatever. And that was just an incredible impact that Shannon had and that I found too, and that I'm that I know that you find and now have like that, that gratitude for that touchstone and knowing that you've affected people and how that human connection means so much.
Speaker 1: It means so much. It's everything. We don't go through things better alone. We just don't. It's like, right, you need people around.
Speaker 2: You want to and I do. I want to crawl, and I mean at the time you want to, like how do you find the energy? But I did feel very blessed that people knew who I was, so some people. I got a lot of love to get through things, you know, from strangers, the kindness of strangers, and more so even earlier, even before my diagnosis, when I had had my own issues with sobriety or gone through something humiliating and you think the world is going to be so unkind and how do I get through this? And it really was strangers and you're looking to that don't have judgment on you, that can hear your own for going through things or going through an embarrassment or or fear of that. And I don't know, there's just so much to be said for being open and honest if you can in your life. It's not for everyone to, you know, to share things. But I did feel kind of lucky. I don't know what I would have done. Well, I guess I wouldn't have been in the spotlight if I hadn't been known, and it wouldn't have happened that you haven't been you know, public grieving or humiliation or joy or care. So it's just it's a really it's a really interesting, interesting life to be on. And I'm so grateful there's people like you. I mean, really, I do. I think. I think my angels and things for the people who've given me messages and you have even your sister. How's your sister doing? Is she's still in France?
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's still great. She's in pair, she wrote that.
Speaker 2: I mean, she you guys inspire me so much. She went after a dream and found love. And so I'm moving to Paris tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's doing so well.
Speaker 4: And she was just here visiting me and yeah, she's doing great. I mean, yeah, talk about somebody again who like went through you know, tragedy at a divorce and then just picked up and restarted her life and and made something completely new for herself.
Speaker 1: You know. I think it's like again, it's that reinvention and.
Speaker 2: Reinvention of writing your story, and I like, really writing the story you want. Yeah, but last night I was listening to someone and someone said, no, you need to write down three things you want to achieve. It has to be at least three things, and if you can't think it, you can't do it. And I was like, God, I don't really ever think of anything, huh. I just really do live in the present, you know, and sometimes that definitely gets you in trouble. You have to have a plan, But what are three? Like, I'm almost afraid to think of three because I'm want to think of great things, like I want to do, you know, I want great things.
Speaker 5: And yeah, you're like.
Speaker 2: I don't want anyone to like, I don't want anyone to know. Like it's kind of like that tradition of like, oh, you know, don't have your shine so big, you know, because my mother is always like that, like don't ever any let anyone see you coming, and someone's always willing to take you down a peg and no, you know, moth to a flame. If you're too light, the moth comes. And I've had all these like brain programming of you know, stay small, stay small, you know, and over there and safe and and you and Shannon, also you're a testament that you do not have to stay small, like you can shine big and less is not always more. And I want to take that every day with me to create my own wellness and my own light like you and I love you, and you know we say that a lot in this town. But I've loved you since, you know, I first laid eyes on you. It was love at first sight. And I'm so happy that you're in my life. And maybe one day I'll actually see you like I love you. I know, number.
Speaker 1: I do. I'm gonna come knocking new dorm. We're gonna go on a hike.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Maybe I could teach us a sexy dance because I was watching you like really like it's it's you have a lot of mobility, and I'm really proud of you like watch on your like move.
Speaker 1: I just I love it. It's healing for me.
Speaker 4: Moving is movement dance, and it has always been such a mental health thing for me, Like.
Speaker 1: It just makes me feel better. So it's it's a part of my day. You know.
Speaker 4: We gotta you got to recognize those things. If there's something you know that makes you feel better, then that's your go to.
Speaker 1: You know, that's my go to movement.
Speaker 2: Yep, movement and do it now and keeping Oh my, I love you.
Speaker 5: I love you too.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, Amanda for being on here on Shannon A. Doherty. Let's be clear, and let's be clear. I am so happy to have been here today and just to connect with you and for everyone out there who loves Shannon. Hey, you never met Shannon, did you, Amanda?
Speaker 1: No? I mean I grew up watching Illo two.
Speaker 4: I know though, so I mean like I grew up with her, But no, I never got to meet her.
Speaker 2: I wish you could have met we were we I just know like that you I mean not look, I'm like you just would have loved No. But she I just I can see you know, not not that I knew her so much, but I really I want to thank you, and I'm so excited for your line. And while I'm on here, I'm so excited for the line that I've also joined ESK evidence based skincare, which I love so excited about as that was a huge way feeling better in my world, to heal a lot of a lot of things in my skin and keep finding the best of me. And and also I have a club with a with A. There's so many things that you inspire me, like you can have your hands and a lot of things that you love. That's what I'm trying to do. So I also am you know, involved in also a kind of lifestyle luxury brand called Mercy that I'm going to do a collab with, So I'm so excited about that. And so you inspired me a lot for for getting out and actually doing things that i'd love.
Speaker 1: You inspire me. You inspire so many.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: It's so good to see your face.
Speaker 2: Yay, it's so good to see your face too. Thank you so much, miss Amanda. I can't wait to see you. And beautiful Elvis. Can we please get him together with Arthur? Yes, Arthur, how to be a sweet sweet boy and Arthur.
Speaker 1: You'll be obsessed with he loves that age.
Speaker 2: Arthur is super fun and punky and awesome and a teenager. I love him so much.
Speaker 1: Love you.
Speaker 2: This has been a wonderful conversation with you. Thank you Amanda for being on this episode of Let's Be Clear, and thank you to everyone listening. Stay well, stay positive, and until next time, nah bye bye