Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to season two ninety episode for Daley's Eye Guys Today production of My Heart Radio. This is a podcast where we take a deep dive into American share consciousness. And it is Friday, Friday, June night, twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: You know what that is. It's National Earl Day. I think what Earl? Earl? The name Earl, the name of Earl. Is that all the Earls out there? Wait? Who what was DMX's real name. Wasn't DMX's real name Earl Earl? I believe? So yeah, Earl Simmons. Yeah, so that's an Earl shout out, Earl sweatshirt, you know, like all the other Earls out there. And also National Strawberry Rubarb Pie Day, National Donald Duck Day, which is not like when we were talking about our guest Hugo Bosk about just not wearing pants for the character and National Movie Night there we got didn't realize it was a movie night.
Speaker 1: And it is six ' nine, so you know, oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. We're saying this is a new four twenty, like we're past four twenty and we're embracing six ' nine sixty nine nine because we are juvenile at the end of the day. Well, that'll be the last juvenile thing that you hear from us in this Yeah. Absolutely, my name is how's my posture?
Speaker 1: Strong?
Speaker 2: Fantastic? Good?
Speaker 1: My name is Jack O'Brien aka my milkshake brings all the boys to the pit and they're like, this is Grimace's jizz. Damn right, it's Grimace's jizz on your birthday. McDonald's is lit. That is courtesy of Scotty Magoo.
Speaker 2: Oh class personified, Keep them bad.
Speaker 1: Scotty Magoo prefaced the said I need to preface this with a sincere apology. I didn't want to do this, but Jack made us all listen to that. I'm assuming he's referring to any aka I ever sunk oh right and said, so I need to do this to close the karmac circle or something and keep the karmic circle closing.
Speaker 2: Because I appreciate them.
Speaker 1: I'm thrilled to be joined as always by my co host mister Miles.
Speaker 2: Grab Miles Gray k.
Speaker 3: So my life a prateful pizza from you, and now thing God.
Speaker 2: Dad, I can show you my ding dong.
Speaker 1: Oh my love.
Speaker 4: I wanted to flash.
Speaker 1: My dick and I hope bet you feel the same way.
Speaker 2: To Okay, shout out to Jamee Music again talking about Hugo Bosk and the prevalence of pantiless people that come to the door when he delivers pizza and Casey and Jojo, I'm still looking for a cliff. I sang that song on like a Fox variety show in like the whatever. That song came out at Citywalker Universal and I was wilding in and I remember back then there was no tv ow and shit like and I remember at the last minute, like when it was airing, I don't think I was on it, but someone said I may have. Well they cut you out, they may have. I was doing a lot. I was doing a lot. It was like this too much like the History Onics, a little too much for Fox. Let's get this kid out. Wow. Yeah.
Speaker 1: We had on Tuesday's episode our first kind of evergreen off format interview episode. I've heard it referred to as the Daily Zeit Guest, that is the name of the that episode format. We interviewed an astrophysicist who's looking for intelligent extraterrestrial intelligence, and we also interviewed a Domino's delivery driver. And I feel I feel like the Domino's delivery driver broke the most news.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: Way, we are doing new publication schedule. One episode today Friday, one episode on Monday. The Monday episode sort of a long trending episode, catch you up on the stuff you missed over the weekend. Tuesday Mornings episode. We're interviewing experts. We're interviewing you guys, mainly about your jobs.
Speaker 2: So hit us up if.
Speaker 1: You have some an interesting story from your job, if you have a job that's more interesting that people realize, tell us why hit us at daily Zeitgeist on Twitter or dm us in the discord, whatever.
Speaker 2: Work wherever. Just tag us Instagram on whatever wherever.
Speaker 1: Wow, Shakita, Okay, yeah yeah, Shakida, all right, but yeah, we're looking forward to continuing to hear from and talk to you, sick, sick motherfuckers. We are thrilled Miles to be joined in our third seat. Very talented journalist, screenwriter, soon to be director. You're the creator, executive producer and host of the podcast Partition.
Speaker 2: It's nausy.
Speaker 3: Hie, I'm glad to be here.
Speaker 2: How's h town at the moment?
Speaker 1: Oh, Austin, what Miles calls?
Speaker 3: Well, I'll try to. I'll try to get it.
Speaker 2: Uh, we're keeping it all in, but I'm gonna do it again. How is a town that's pretty good?
Speaker 3: It's just getting unseasonably hot, and it's like not unseasonably unseasonably for me, but it was like eighty degrees and I was dying. So we'll see what the next three months.
Speaker 1: Out here illogically irrationally hot, a heat that no person should be expected to live in.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we were.
Speaker 1: We were doing comparing weather reports. Actually, l it's pretty nice today. It's been like gray and.
Speaker 2: A bit. Yeah, but we were.
Speaker 1: We were saying that, like we're going to need to start adding it to weather reports, Like where are we on the apocalyptic scale?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 1: Are you like seven on that?
Speaker 2: What? What? What's it looking like.
Speaker 1: Outside your door? Where are we?
Speaker 3: It's looking it's looking like a two. Like some of the trees are slowly like moving in the breeze. It's getting darker.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh you got a storm coming.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we got a storm coming. There was thunder earlier.
Speaker 1: In Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: We had a couple.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's fun. It is so wild when you hear thunder in Los Angeles, You're like, what the folks that what is not My kids who have never heard it have questions. All right, now, how we're going to get to know you a little bit better in a moment. First, we're going to tell our listeners a couple of the things we're talking about. We are going to talk about how the media is reacting to the fact that, as of yesterday, the sky in New York and much of the Eastern Seaboard was bright orange. So Fox News just kind of pulled out their old playbook and started talking about how, like telling people to wear masks in the middle of a giant smoke storm is a left wing conspiracy. They're just anti masks as a on principle. They don't fuck with masks.
Speaker 2: It was odd when they were with those firefighters and like, why do you guys even wear respirators?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Exactly what.
Speaker 1: This smells good to me? Don't you like the smell wood smoke? Even the New York Times, you know, they acknowledge that this is caused by climate change, but when it comes to like who to blame. They had an interesting story on the front page of the New York Times. It was kind of like their big story with the cool pictures and the cool like web design where you clicked on it and it was like giant glowing embers. And they put in the work and they want to blame people who start them, the people who accidentally start for as fires, and they're like they're the problem.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So it's just interesting. I mean, that's definitely like, I'm all for fire safety, but it was just it's just interesting to see that being the main thing that they focus their energy on.
Speaker 2: Well, it's certainly not going to be their own sponsors, right exactly? Can it be the colossal fuel industry?
Speaker 4: Ah?
Speaker 2: No, No, I mean there's climate change, but let's focus on these people.
Speaker 1: But who's to blame for these fires? Who can we actually focus our anger on. Surely none of the executives of the companies that pay us to create sponsored articles for them. So we'll talk about that. We will bid a not so fond adieu to Pat Robertson, human piece of shit, garbage person who passed away, and we'll talk about the upcoming Captain America reboot No longer is it called Captain America New World Order?
Speaker 2: Oh? But yeah, yeah, good, call.
Speaker 1: All that plenty more. But first and now, how we like to ask our guests, what is something from your search history?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 3: So last week I saw a film called Saint Omer that's on Hulu and it was shortlisted for the Best International Future Academy Award from France, and it's it's just really riveting, so I feel like everyone should watch it. But it's about a journalist novelist who is going to a court case to see a woman who is accused of murdering her kids. So it's very sad, but she's like writing a book about it, and she's actually pregnant herself. And that is based on an actual case that the director witnessed that took place in France. So then I was like looking at the real case. But then it was like eleven forty five at night. Then I'm like, I don't need to look at this right now. But that was like one of those like rabbit holes that I went to the last time I was on here was like Anastasia and like Russian politicians, and like now it's this murder case from right that's not funny, but I.
Speaker 2: Left, No, I get it. No, I mean it's it is always intriguing when you watch something and it is there's any kind of real life connection because when I like, if it's half interesting, I do the same thing. Now, yeah, well what about the real actual thing? But so the story is about a pregnant journalist who's covering a case about a woman who killed her child.
Speaker 3: Yes, because she's writing a book, got it that I think or a novel that I think is like a similar So it's like a.
Speaker 1: Research And is this a journalist turned filmmaker?
Speaker 3: This is a documentarian?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So she this is her first narrative feature. Yeah, but she's made documentary for four Yeah.
Speaker 1: And you are at the beginning of that journey, right, Yeah, starting to cast.
Speaker 3: A feature, a short film, maybe a feature in the.
Speaker 1: Future eventually skipped a couple steps, but award winning feature eventually. But yeah, a short film.
Speaker 2: For now yet as a short film darling of the festival circuit obviously, and then you make your way to the top.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's the dream, that's the goal.
Speaker 2: I amazing.
Speaker 1: What is something that you think is overrated?
Speaker 3: I feel like I'm going to upset a lot of people.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, So.
Speaker 3: I saw Top Gun Maverick for the first time on Memorial right, playing so good. Well, I'm about to disappoint on Memorial day because the Alamo Draft House was playing it and I missed it when it came out last year, so I was like, whatever it's playing, I'll watch it, and uh, it's a lot. I just like, I don't know. I think it's just like Tom Cruise being Tom Cruise and then like Miles Teller being like an anti vaxer and then knowing these things and then watching this and then there's so much Like I've only seen Top Gun once in like a film class when I was seventeen, so I haven't seen it, and like, like he was cool. I don't remember his name, but I like.
Speaker 2: Y'all got to see Top Gun. This is serious.
Speaker 3: It was yeah, right after a Citizen Kane, right before I don't.
Speaker 1: Know, right before it was in the context of like this is what American like Cold War anxiety problem, was him just being like this is a sick film.
Speaker 3: Also, again, grew up in Texas, so they're probably like military history, like you know, it's just important. But I think it was just like so like just so much with like your dad would have been proud like all of this stuff, and I'm like, all right, like let's come down to much. But yeah, I mean it's fine. But everyone was just like when this film came out, was like freaking the fuck out. And I think it's because it was delayed for so long, because it's supposed to come out in twenty twenty, and you know, I think Steven Spielberg was like, you're saving film Tom Cruise with your movie. I don't know, it was just it was fine.
Speaker 1: I feel like that was a paid statement.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I like I liked it, so I never like got to the point where I was like, everybody needs to shut the fuck up about this movie. Like everyone's freaking out way too much. And like I saw it with my wife and she like really enjoyed it. So I wasn't gonna, like, you know, tamp any of the enthusiasm down. But like in retrospect, yes, it was like a solid B plus and everyone was like, yo, they really didn't saved the movies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, people were amped. And I'm just like, I.
Speaker 2: Just remember Jack, you were like You're like, yes, it's worth watching. You were kind of like it's fun, and that was your assessmin It was like, it's it's fun. And then I was like, Okay, maybe i'll catch it on streaming. And then I just never got around.
Speaker 1: Oh you never saw it? You never saw it in theaters?
Speaker 2: Oh, Miles, you simply must.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that's why I did that, because I know it's streaming on some network right right right, But I was like, okay, like my TV's thirty inches, you can like see it behind me. I'm like, I'm like, I'm gonna watch this in a theater. I'll at least give it that, like, I'll watch it in that respect.
Speaker 2: That's a film, that's the filmmaker respect right there. You're like, well, I should see it on the big screen as it was intended to be viewed. Y, Yeah, I mean should I see it? Like what kind of shit? It's like an airplane movie? Right, It's like, yeah, if you got a minute, check it out. But like not like yo, man making up this issappointment viewing. Yeah no, I mean I already Yeah, it's a B plus for me. But there's definitely like a lot of people have reacted to it in a way, and it's not always like the people who I you know, it's not just like people who are like big fans of military or you know, I know a lot of people who really like films and like really loved that movie, and I think there's part of us that's are all rooting for movies to not go away. So I think there's some of that like tied into it. But it's yeah, I can't be like, yo, you need to catch this like by it by because I knew some people were like it's awesome, and I just I just don't know if like maybe it was one of those films that was just really entertaining, because I feel a lot of there's a there's like this misconception of like something that's really entertaining and then being like this is high art.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a difference between entertainment and a good film, right, And it's entertaining, sure, right, but there's also you know, masculinity and you know, like we're gonna take this conversation to the sky. I don't know, like vibe of just like well, let like our like skills speak for themselves type of thing.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, like, there's only one way to settle this dispute, exactly, take it.
Speaker 2: To the sky. Take it to this take our dick measuring contest to the sky.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, okay, fine, all right, sure. I personally think the best part is like the very first like sequence or like action sequence where you like see him and he's like testing that like experimental aircraft. Like that part I thought was cool, and everything after that felt like it was almost exactly like what my brain had filled in for a top sequel. Yeah, all right, well put on the list, what's a what's something that you think is underrated?
Speaker 3: So just kind of looking at all the stuff with this new Marvel film. Uh, there was a film that I saw that I think a lot of people haven't seen. Premiered as a Toronto International Film Festival in twenty twenty one, and I programmed it for the Cleveland International Film Festival last year, and it's on Netflix and it's called Fara and it is about it's a Palestinian coming of age story and it takes place during the Nekba in the nineteen forties, and it's just very good and I just I feel like it got a lot of like I'm not gonna say there was controversy. There was controversy if you're a Zionist and you had a problem with this crazy.
Speaker 2: You're trying to humanize these people, Yes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's it's I think a really great film that I think everyone should see because it's just like and it's from a it was Jordan's international pick for best Picture for their International future Oscar, and it's really good. Like so it's on Netflix. It's just very well done.
Speaker 2: How do you spelled the title?
Speaker 3: I think it's f A R A H. There's a couple of variations of how you can spell farah.
Speaker 2: Yeah right right right, yeah, man, Wait, what were you saying about in relation to Marvel? You mentioned some of the marve. We're just saying that Marvel's just taking up the oxygen.
Speaker 3: Well no, I think there was like a like a character that was like like an Israeli copy.
Speaker 2: We're going to get to that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so that's part of the Captain America.
Speaker 3: Oh right, right right, Like seeing that, I was like, okay, wow, let me talk about this, yeah right.
Speaker 2: Rather than a former Massad agent mutant, how about a human being who's living.
Speaker 1: Are you ever former Massade or CIA or are you always just kind of you know, doing doing the work behind the scenes. I feel like that, yeah, former or current, which is pretty wild for mar to be like, it's a massagage. I was Captain Cia, Yeah, partner, Yeah, it's a wild I was with somebody who's like, yeah, my dad was in the CIA and was like all like happy about it.
Speaker 2: And I was kind of like, yo, like doing what He's like, I remember that but like in the eighties, like yeah, like in Latin America and stuff. And I was like, no, why are you smiling? He's like I never saw him, but he was like like, we's got some cool stories. You should talk to him. I'm like, yeah, maybe he should talk to the fucking Hague.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and now there's no alternative to hyper capitalism because he killed people.
Speaker 2: It was so sick man.
Speaker 1: Basically what happened was like instead of like using immunism like as a pressure point, we were using like you know, predatory loans from the World Bank.
Speaker 2: And it was really cool.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 1: Anyway, all right, well let's take a quick break and we'll come back and we'll talk about these these dang wildfires.
Speaker 2: We'll yeah back and we're back.
Speaker 1: And Fox News I think had a bunch of anti mask like chirons like on screen over the shoulder graphics that they didn't get to use during the pandemic somehow, because they are bringing it back. They're doing with wildfire smoke. What they did with COVID and calling public health advice to wear masks, masks and stay inside a left wing conspiracy. What is the conspiracy exactly?
Speaker 2: That's the point. You can't just be like, they want you to take care of yourself. That's a conspiracy. Okay, they're conspiring to do what through this? I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's a great question, because they're Their theory of the case always seemed to be they're making a bigger deal about COVID than it really is to hurt Donald Trump. And it's somehow, even though every other country was making a bigger deal of it than we were, the fact that it was inconvenient for Donald Trump, that it was extra work, right, They're like, he already has so much work. Was all part of a conspiracy, I guess.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: The difference here, obviously is that they don't kill anyone else by not wearing a mask, which is, you know, a nice benefit. But they are you know, talking to a elderly audience, you know, and telling them that masking is part of a conspiracy to contry troll you to nobody really knows what. Stay home and watch more Fox News. I think I think sub subsistence wages are a way to control you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. That's just my theory, because then what's your alternative if you don't do that. Anyway, I don't know anything about coersion, their financial and whatever whatever. Okay, it's the masks. It's the masks. Thank god for Fox News. Yeah, for sure, for sure. So they have like experts on to Yeah, so they invited Steve molloy on to discuss this matter in particular.
Speaker 1: He is a climate scientist. Oh sorry, no, he's a former cigarette and coal lobbyist.
Speaker 2: How they want.
Speaker 1: To to speak specifically on behalf of smoke, big smoke. Okay, a lot of people have been hard on carcinogenic smoke past couple of days. We need to get the other side of this issue, right, right right, he said, of the smoke, this doesn't kill anybody, This doesn't make anybody cough. This is not a health event. Just keep telling them that and maybe that'll be true.
Speaker 2: I just I love it. It's from a guy whose job it was to tell people to not worry about the smoke, Like where even though it's scientifically proven, like whether you're mining coal or you live near a coal fired plant, like the health outcomes and all these being a cigarette smoke and he's like, no, that's not a health event, man, all right, can we move on? All right? Did my check? Okay, great, thank you?
Speaker 1: Third times, Like it's not like he can't be wrong about smoke being a risk to people's health. Okay, three times in a row. He's like, all right, I was wrong about the cigarettes, y'all got me there. And I was wrong about the coal. Yeah, yeah, that's not me, that's not me, but the wildfires. But yeah, it does like raise it. I mean, yeah, there's nobody specifically funding the wildfires. Like he's not speaking on half a big wildfire. I guess it's just all part of an attempt to tamp down as we'll see any finger pointing specifically at fossil fuel companies.
Speaker 2: But sure, so.
Speaker 1: Just you know, to in case you you were believing the coal and cigarette lobbyist. A twenty twenty one study found that thirty three thousand people a year die from pollution caused by wildfire smoke, Like, not just pollution in general, that number is astronomically high.
Speaker 2: Just wildfire smoke.
Speaker 1: Thirty three thousand people a year die from that.
Speaker 2: Wow, Okay, Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then part of the reason why wearing a mask is being suggested and not mandated, by the way, is because the health risks are long term ones. They're they're not a thing that will show up necessarily like right away.
Speaker 2: Which that's gold for Fox News, you know what I mean. If it doesn't affect you right this minute, then they can be like, it doesn't even matter, dude. Watch, I'm holding this your like plutonium rod. Look, I'm rubbing on my face. It it's not doing anything to me. See maybe in like maybe three weeks from now and be fucked, but right now, all good, all good. You see you don't wear a mask. Jesus.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a history of people doing like really harmful things with like somebody with like leaded gas. They were like, I'll wash my hands in this leaded gas and I'll be fine, and then they got like incredibly sick, like right after doing that. But yeah, multiple Fox News hosts have claimed that the smoke is totally fine because they went for a walk and don't feel a thing. So that's the level of scientific rigor that they're bringing to it.
Speaker 2: Oh beautiful, I know. Even like Laura Ingram on her show had like another just creature of the coal industry on and like it's funny. She even conceded that the smoke was fucking her up. But then she's like, but it's not an issue, right. It was like a very odd here, I'll play this moment because it's weird to see. Like even on Fox she was even coppy into the I mean, yeah, it kind of fucking me up, but it's all good, right.
Speaker 7: Ah there it is going back to the beginning of the show, right, the inevitable intersection of climate and race. If you don't agree with Bill, at some point, they are going to call you a white supremacist. Joining me now, Steve malloy, Senior legal fellow at the Energy and Environment Legal Institute and Trump Era Transition Team member, Steve No one's denying it is unpleasant. My eyes are pretty itchy and watery yesterday and a little bit today, and it might go on for a couple more days. But is this wholly out of the ordinary?
Speaker 2: I just like that. She starts off being like, yeah, man, that's fucking my eyes up pretty bad. You know, obviously maybe for the next couple of days, but this is fine, right, And the guy's like, yeah, yeah, yeah, like he basically like it's totally normal. All right, thanks, Laura, I'm off, but yeah, it's uh, they got to do everything they can to just they have to be so nonchalant about the air quality in order to obscure the impacts of climate change because they can't cop They cannot There's no way they can acknowledge that the smoke is bad, because that would be an indirect way of saying this shit is actually bad that we're experiencing on the planet, like the situation around us is bad. They cannot ever ever admit that, so it has to always be oh man, they wearing masks as AOC's the snow. Whatever the fuck it is, right, They're just putting so much energy into this shit. It's like, lor are you even though?
Speaker 1: But okay whatever, and her to her question, this is this really out of the ordinary? New York City recorded its worst ever air quality Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Ever when like this month, no, no, no, yeah, yeah, usually ever just means this month.
Speaker 1: In the history of New York, a city that like we look at the pictures of New York in the past, it's just like, you know, but it's very hazy with air pollution, and you know, covered in horseshit and not not the cleanest looking place in the world, like like you know, the little kids who are working the factories all have like black lung and this beat all that ship you know.
Speaker 2: Right, who are so noha? Who are you gonna blame in this in the smoke? Is it climate change? Or is it Canada? Because we're also seeing that, Oh yeah, blame Oh.
Speaker 3: But weren't they caused by like lightning?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, arrest the lightning. Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know, there's so many things I'm gonna I think I want to go with a climate change because that's what makes sense.
Speaker 8: And actually the truth alarmist alarmist is like, what's what's the big sort of like the closest thing that happens like in Austin or in your community that you're like, oh, that's climate change, and then other people like, no, that's this other thing.
Speaker 3: Oh God, I don't know. I feel like the well, I guess like all the crazy snowstorms we've had so which I saw is part of the paint with Barby and yeah, like we gets snowed, I think again in February and I lost my electricity for four days and then it's just yeah, like for four days. It wasn't as bad as like that twenty twenty one storm. But I mean, like it always snows here. I mean it's not like a pretty like you know, like New England snow. But yeah, it shouldn't. Yeah, we shouldn't be like freaking out just because of like there's ice on the road and then like everything like goes to hell. But it's also because of our grid that is connected to the rest of the country, which I did not know until that massive snow snow from twenty twenty one.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, and how like terribly privatized it basically is.
Speaker 3: It's like, yeah, to avoid paying taxes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, both problems caused by deregulate the energy industry, which has worked beautifully. Over at Newsmax, we finally get a voice of reason on the right.
Speaker 2: The hosts are weirdly.
Speaker 1: Kind of horny for the smoke and also like no big deal, MBD think it kind of smells good.
Speaker 9: Yeah, arn smug here in New York City. Have you heard many cities on the East Coast primarily have this big blanket of ron smug right over the top of it. Our woke friends to the north in Canada there forest fires got out of hand, and well, this is what we're dealing with. It's complicating some people's lives, but it's manageable. I'll tell you. It actually smells like wood smoke. It's not an unpleasant odor, to be honest. It's kind of weird when it seeps into the building. But outdoors, I can deal with it. Folks with respiratory issues though, that's a real thing, a real complication. The White House is trying to, I like to deploit this saying it's all.
Speaker 2: Really did He was like, hey, man, but if you got a respiratory issue, man, that might you Well.
Speaker 1: That must suck anyways, moving along.
Speaker 3: Seeping into the buildings, But that's fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's a little weird when you can like, it smells like wood smoke, yeah, because it's from a fucking forest fire. It's it's a millions of wood smoke. Motherfucker. What are you talking.
Speaker 1: And he also goes on in that clip to say that it's pretty and beautiful. I think, yeah, so he's yeah, which, by the way, like he's next two images that look like they are like after a horrible like bombing in a in a war zone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but this is the beautiful aura. Like I think it's great that he used the word aura.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is like calm aura over the city. I really like it. It's just made this is wild that like if you're going, like how far are we from? When they're like, oh, this house that like this terrible fire that burned up half a city that was beautiful, that was great, you know what I mean, like to like ex use away these things that are so obvious in front of you, like it like oh god, the yeah, you do get the mental gymnastics.
Speaker 1: It's like, yeah, where we're headed with this shit, the glimpse of where we're headed, but also like of the the type of brain that like turns into an on air anchor, like because remember like that Brian Williams clip where it is like the beautiful majesty of our weapons like this, oh, watching like missiles being launched right anyways, At the New York Times, I mean, they're obviously overall like they're not trying to claim the fires have nothing to do with climate change. The articles always mentioned that human induced climate change is the cause, but the biggest article on the front page of their website at a time when everybody like this is the main question on I think a lot of Americans minds, specifically like people in New York's minds. Is this like op ed from somebody who's like in charge of fighting forest fires, and they're just like, we need to stop putting up with these dufices who start these fires. And then they're like, well, not these fires. Actually these fires were caused by lightning strikes, but a lot of the ones other fires are caused by people being careless. And so she talks about like how like when I look at like the devastation of these forest fires and these wildfires, I get so angry and then like really just goes in on.
Speaker 2: A dirt bikers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, dirt bikers who like don't have the sparkrect spark yeah, spark suppression on their vehicles or whatever, and it's it's just like, yeah, get mad, like get mad at the system and the companies that you know, we're aware of this, didn't like paid for did research into this before the rest of the world knew it was going to be a problem. In the eighties, we're like at the forefront of the research and then we're like, uh, we're going to actually pretend it's not a thing, and let you guys find out about it on your own. And you know, like that would be a great place to look to four consequences instead of the people who are doing the same things they were doing in the eighties and now it is causing Hey, they.
Speaker 2: Weren't doing gender reveals like this Jack in the Ages. That's true.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: So you know what, man, that's that's on them. I just love this shit that we're they're going the plastic straws route on climate change with these people. Yeah, it's on y'all. Y'all need to stop this ship. You knock this shit off because it ain't the fucking massive place. So it's not that it's y'all, okay, these damn dirt bikes has nothing to do with my friends at Excellent Moobile. Nothing.
Speaker 1: It's kind of smart because the main focus is like behave like these actions by people who are clearly not New York Times readers, Like New York Times readers aren't going out and like riding dirt bikes through the wilderness with sumptuous sparks shooting after them, or like one of the people who started one of the forest fires in La or in Californa was like a father and son who like went out shooting in the woods. Right, So it's like stuff that like obviously, I'm like, yeah, that'd be real easy to stop. And you know, it's really easy for everyone to look down upon who like isn't born to that culture obviously, but uh it's and yeah, don't don't do that shit. I'm all for fire safety, but it does feel like a strategic effort to be to like put a singular individual out in front instead of you know, companies and decisions made a long time ago by these companies who are trying hard, as will show you in this paid sponsored news Blend article that we're about to publish and link off too at the end of this you know, yeah.
Speaker 2: It's it's so, it's so yeah whatever, I mean it. This is what they have to do because it's like the people know, people ingest the writings and the posts of the New York Times, and so if you read that, then someone is more likely to go and have a conversation about that, which is like I read this thing in the New York Times that they actually said that like there's a lot of this could be prevented if people didn't have you know, gender reveal parties in the woods or put spark suppressors on their dirt bikes, rather than if it was constantly saying it's these fucking companies. Yeah, they are the ones who are fucking murdering everybody. But because it's a quote company and we're treating this like amorphous thing because it generates capital, that we can't somehow hold it responsible. So let's avoid that conversation and just move to the finger pointing to the dumb dums who like to shoot their guns off in the forest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, The New York Times is part of the that side of you know, they are a mouthpiece for the whole like democratic and like corporate entities and the enemy of like their readers are hillbillies, so like you know, in their reader's mind there, so let's blame hillbillies. Let's find a way to make this about, you know, hating mega people.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it's urban versus grarian all over again. Yes, exactly. Yeah, tale's oldest time.
Speaker 1: Tale, as old as time. I think that's how the rest of that song went.
Speaker 2: Urban versa grarian.
Speaker 1: I mean, Belle was very urbane. She wasn't urban, but she was like I read books and you guys are idiots and you do the same shit over and over every day, and I'm fucking.
Speaker 2: Tired of it. So meet my dog man boyfriend, and I'm into this guy.
Speaker 3: And I also got with my kidnapper and.
Speaker 2: Not kidnapping, like hey, but he gave me a nice dress.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That so I can't say the treatments that bad being kidnapped by this man. But it's wild too, like because along with that, like there's this sort of there's like this republican or conservative sort of worldview. Right, it's like so fatalistic about everything, that's where there's no point in trying to do anything about. It's like they're like, who cares about unhoused? Who cares about people being fucking slaughtered or living in an apartheid state or child I'm going to heaven.
Speaker 1: I've been saved.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So on Fox and Friends earlier this week, host Rachel campost Duffy aka to elder millennials, Rachel from the Real World, San Francisco. Okay, that season with Pedro and Puck, if you remember that very I can't believe this. Oh yeah, Rachel Camp. She was because she was the conservative on that real world San Francisco crowd because she was from Arizona and she was always like being like, what the fuck am I doing in San Francisco?
Speaker 1: What year was this?
Speaker 6: This was ninety e one is like the second season. Yeah, this is like yeah, this was this was a round but I was one. Okay, okay, credit to you, credit to you. Well then you should have been watching.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think.
Speaker 3: We had a TV in Pakistan at that time.
Speaker 2: Okay, well they have it now now, huh so uh anyway, and also her last name is Duffy because she married a dude from Road Rules. Okay, that's like her anyway. And then she became this like maga conservative on TV. She wasn't talking directly about the fires earlier this week, but her words definitely again they portray this like fatalistic worldview that comes along with being like one of these Christian nationalists, the idea that you know, I don't give a fuck about Earth because Heaven.
Speaker 5: Sometimes, you know, we look at how hard on the left they play, They really play for keeps, they play in a way that's very you know a lot of times conservatives look at and go, why don't we play as hardness nound well for them where we live right now, this place earth is it?
Speaker 3: So everything on the line here for them, they think, as you said, they can perfect this earth. Those of us who have faith don't believe that.
Speaker 4: And we believe how we act here determine where we go after and so we had to behave and so even in politics we don't you know, we act within those moral limits and you know, the ends justify the means is sort of the rules for radicals.
Speaker 2: Right, I'm so lost the way, like it was such a contradiction upon like strong man arguments't too much there.
Speaker 1: So so that's why they're so kind in right, because because we believe what we do on earth terms where fuck earth, But what we do here determines it.
Speaker 2: That's why we want to pollute it to shit. We want to completely harass other people and villainize them, you know, not be kind or caring. I don't know what the golden rule is because I have not actually read the Bible, but I do like to use like I like to evoke the Bible for my own lack of morals, I guess. But yeah, that's where they are these It's like the same way, like this is kind of the worldview like in the Cold War, right, like people were like, well, the Soviets aren't gonna blow the world up because they believe this is it. There's no afterlife, like we believe or whatever, you know what I mean. Like it's just a very weird thing. Like the enemy has no God. That's why they are here wanting to perfect the earth. And I'm sorry, that's a bad thing. We're trying to be good custodians of this fucking little planet that we're on for a brief fucking moment, and i'd most of us are not. I'd hope most of us would rather not be contributing to like some fucking system of oppression or pollution or degradation whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's I mean, it's acknowledging. Like it's actually a pretty interesting point because she's she's basically saying, like we believe in evil and like are just like can't beat evil, so you just gotta like kill it away, put it in prison, you know, like do all that stuff, because there's no fixing these people, right, and that that is a like it's kind of a good window into how their minds work and how their worldview works.
Speaker 2: And why they are really dangerous. The wild thing is the end of that quote where she said where said the ends justify the means is sort of the rules for radicals. That it got cut off. She continues by saying, that's not how Christians act. Oh really the whole Wow, how do we get here anyway? Don't worry about it? What's colonization at all? And whatever? Fine? Do you think do you think Rachel Campbell's stuff? Well, we'd go to break.
Speaker 1: But we we do have to transition from that statement that you know, Christians are are kind and don't believe in ends justify the means to the passing of a man who embodied the opposite of that, Pat Robertson just one of the worst people, garbage. The only people who seem to be upset about his passing are people who mistakenly thought that Robert Pattinson had died No, which yeah, are there were there people who were like, I can't believe it, or they're like they that's a joke.
Speaker 2: He didn't die.
Speaker 1: It was trending on Twitter. It is like the exact opposite Pat Robertson. Robert Pattinson.
Speaker 3: That's actually really funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hadn't connected them. But yeah, Robin Shadowcaster seventy eight said, my dyslexic ass thought this, said Robert Pattinson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no, it's Patterson the Bad Ones. It's I mean Rob roberts Robertson.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now you're doing it all right. So just a quick greatest hits of this piece of shit. So just one thing that makes him like he was still being followed by a lot of people up until the end, or like watched by a lot of people, sent money by a lot of people. He was constantly predicting apocalypses that never came, just throughout his life, Like in nineteen seventy six, he said the world was going to end in nineteen eighty two, so he thought the rapture was going to come before Return of the Jedi.
Speaker 2: Ever came out.
Speaker 1: Nineteen ninety he wrote a book claiming the world was going to end in two thousand and seven. Just kept predicting the end of the world right up until twenty twenty, when he said that Trump was going to win the election oops, and an asteroid was going to destroy us all. So again, just a I don't know, interesting insight into how the minds of the people who who follow him operate, which is I guess very forgiving.
Speaker 2: Well, if the world's going to end, then you know, all good. Yeah, that motivates you to be like, that's why I'm in this corner because the world about to end. Are you saved? Yeah? Oh wait, what happens? It just it's just silence after you pass away.
Speaker 1: And then he blamed horrific tragedies on things he just didn't like. So one week after nine eleven, he and Jerky fall Well got together to say that God had allowed the terrorists to succeed because the United States had become a nation of abortion, homosexuality, secular schools and courts, and the American Civil Liberties Union. So the ACLU was to blame for nine to eleven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Now, I mean he's always blamed. It's like women or gay people, or Muslims or anybody who is not cis white Christian. Like from there, it's like, oh yeah, the Haitians. You know why they had that earthquake. It is because they made a deal with the devil back when they fucking liberated themselves from slavery from the French. This man really said that shit. He said they got an earthquake because they made a deal with the devil to liberate themselves from slavery.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 2: And we've only seen We've talked about this time and again about how the Western world has just fucking like landed knockout blow after knockout blow on hate as like a response to them being like you are the you were going to be the first and last group of like subjugated people that will liberate themselves from colonizers, and we're gonna make a fucking example out of you for centuries. Is that it's not they made a deal with the devil. That's that's why. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: He repeatedly attacked Muslims, Islam, and the prophet Muhammad throughout the years and called the religion a monumental scam. And then I just want to compare that with his charity work supporting Rwandan refugees in Ziere was actually a front for his blood diamond mining operation. Like there's there's a documentary.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, what that couldn't be the You couldn't script something more fucking evil than that.
Speaker 1: So, according to Jesse Potts, who served as operations manager for a organization that was helping people after the genocide. In nineteen ninety four, the charity stopped sending medical teams to like one of the camps where refugees were being held several weeks into the operation. And then the film that put all this together alleges that these resources, the donations, the cargo planes, et cetera, were used for the for profit African Development Company Limited, a diamond mining operation that was headquartered in Kinshasa, while the mining site itself was located in a remote village nearby. Robertson was the sole shareholder and president of African Development Company Ltd.
Speaker 2: So rest piss you fucking loser. Yeah, fucking unbelievable. Yeah, and I mean like just like I remember he said something about how like or Florida was gonna get hurricanes because Disneyland had like a gay like Pride night in the nineties. Yeah, and it's like hurricanes hit fucking full Okay, yeah, go ahead, it's that too. It's that too, or like eight like that. People that with HIV or aids like HIV's they were they were transmitting it to straight people as like have a conspiracy. That's all this all these like the people like that, you know, this is I'm done. I'm done.
Speaker 1: In a twenty thirteen segment on The seven hundred Club that he said that gay people have a secret ring that transmits HIV to unsuspecting people they shake hands with. His co host was like really, and he said, really really, it is that kind of vicious stuff, which would be the equivalent of murder. And then the following year he warned warned that tals in Kenya could transmit eights. So he just oh, constantly just churning complete.
Speaker 2: And yeah, anti blackness, anti type like just homophobia, whatever he needs to do. One time he said, you shouldn't even adopt kids. Yeah, like that was he was like, had to take like that. He said, quote, you just never know what's been done to a child before you get that child. Yeah. Well man, okay, so you're so anyway, it's just anyway, thank God if you're out there for taking him or I'm saying, Satan, thank you for reclaiming him and taking him down with you. I appreciate you, Satan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, let's take a quick break and we'll come back and talk about Captain America. We'll be right right, and we're back, and Captain America is back as well. The new Captain America movie. I mean it's it's in the works. I guess it's a reboot I checked out from the Marvel universe. But I think they had what happened to Chris, I don't know. I don't know if he was one of the ones that didn't make it out of it.
Speaker 2: I have no ideabout any other yeah either, I'm like, oh cool, like we got black Captain in America, all right, Okay, I don't want to need to ask about the last one.
Speaker 1: So the new film was supposed to be titled Captain America New World Order, which that's a famous New World Order is a famous right wing belief about a powerful, usually Jewish, global cabal. And they were like, it has nothing to do with that stuff. It's simply about the new Captain America, Sam Wilson and how the world has changed around him and he's a changed man. So they've changed the title to Captain America, Where we go one, we go all?
Speaker 3: But how is like, how did they come up with something worse?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 2: I just made that up.
Speaker 1: They just went for an even more explicit that happen like right, I was like, wow, yeah, sense they want to say symbolize something about Avenger sticking together. So you know where we go one we go all just felt like the right one A phrase they just came up with. No, I forget what they changed it to. It's I think, uh like Brave New World Act Brave New World. Yeah, that's right, it is. And there it's an Alvis Huxley.
Speaker 2: That's also about conspiracies but okay, or like you know, the gateway to it.
Speaker 1: And then Marvel also decided to like balance out name checking an anti Semitic conspiracy with including a Zionist superhero, Sabra, a mutant Israeli police officer turned Massad agent.
Speaker 2: That is the most horrifying concept of character right now.
Speaker 3: All of this sounds like things that are like spoofed in a TV show that.
Speaker 1: Like can't be right.
Speaker 2: It sounds like a character in The Boys, right, you know what I mean? Like there's like and then there's yeah, who's like a mutant like Massad agent, and you're like, oh, no, what do they do? What they get the status core? Are they holding up?
Speaker 1: How do they they have this character and not talk about like the fascism of like Masad and like the right in Israel, like how does that How do you even think that that's a possibility. Well, the name itself is a major problem. Sabra is a reference to the Sabra cactus, which became a symbol of loss and steadfastness to Palestinians following the bush's resilience during the Knockbahn in nineteen forty eight and making it extra insensitive. In nineteen eighty two, two years after the introduction of the Sabra character in Marvel Comics, the Israeli's massacred hundreds of people in two Palestinian refugee camps in Lebanon, one of which was named Sabra. So people were like, yeah, maybe we don't.
Speaker 2: Do What do you want to do with that? What do you want to do with that? Yeah? How are they like? They're like, don't worry, She's not gonna mention Palestine in the movie, So just get over it. That's how we're going to excuse it.
Speaker 1: They tried to defend the backlash by claiming that the character of Sabra would be freshly imagined for the screen and today's audience, with the filmmakers taking a new approach. So, oh, I don't know, maybe she'll just be the heiress to the Sobra Hummus Empire or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would work. Yeah, it feels like they're like, oh, yeah, no, no, nothing like that. That's just her name because her family's in the hummus business. That's all. That's all. Yeah. Like the first the intro to the character is also just so grim too, Like it's like that like when they created the characters, like they know better or like they understand the geopolitical situation but also quite don't want to like wade into it fully. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Her first introductions in an Incredible Hulk comic and like has Hulk screaming at her for not giving a shit about a literal dead Palestinian child. Like in the frame with her as she's being introduced.
Speaker 2: It's this, boy died because boys people and yours both want to own land. Boy died because you wouldn't share, and like the Hulk is in tears and boy died because of two old books that say his people and yours must fight and kill for land. And I don't know, yeah, but I guess that did somewhat. I'll like, I don't know get through to the character. But again they don't even actually you know, they never actually refer to the child as like being Palestinian. Yeah, just arab assassins or terrorists. That's like Jesus really didn't the child dies in a fight with arab assassins. In the context of the book, you almost you almost did it, Kulk, you almost. With the writers of that one, you almost got there, You almost got there. Yeah, then you fell back on the old habits. Huh.
Speaker 1: So The Brave New World obviously a reference to Aldus Huxley's classic dystopian novel, which maybe not coincidentally, may have helped to inspire the New World Order conspiracy theory. So they're like, we're not gonna like not touch it. We're just gonna not explicitly like say that that's what we're doing here.
Speaker 2: But I wonder who is like actually cast Oh it's gonna be Israeli actress to Shira Haas. Okay, interesting.
Speaker 1: I hope she was a former Massade agent in order to kind of keep it like authentic.
Speaker 2: But we'll see, we shall see. It's just I mean, it's it's just so funny when like like comics like sometimes they can have like a really good message, Like when you know the writers are like trying to make a point, but it's so wild that frame where it's like, oh my god, you'll talk about the fuck you know is the occupation? Please go off money And then you're like, but then they were terrorists, you like, you wrote this, fucking wrote this. Then I say the CIA.
Speaker 1: Vaguely Arab assassins, which has something in common with top Gun Maverick, which is just like, it's not really yeah country, so to speak. It's more a collection of people who are trying to enrich plutonium, right right. We won't say anyone's name.
Speaker 2: But you guys get it. You know, maybe we had a deal with them.
Speaker 1: No mountainous region. I don't know if you're faking up taking down here.
Speaker 10: Oh wait, turn on the radio and I ran, I ran so farway Okay, you guys get it all right?
Speaker 1: Well naha, such a pleasure having you as always. Where can people find you? Follow you all that good stuff?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So people can find me on Instagram at Nahousie's and Twitter at Neyhouze's thirteen. You can find my podcast at nineteen forty seven pot on Twitter and Partition Podcast on Instagram. And the podcast is about the nineteen forty seven Partition of India and the formation of Podkistan, which celebrated it's seventy fifth anniversary last year. Well I don't think celebrating is the right word, but it was. It took place only five years ago from last year, and you know, I talked to my relatives. I was born in Pakistan, so it was just like a really interesting thing to delve into. And then you can find my film which we are making at the end of July, possibly early August. So that happened film on Instagram and we are still crowdfunding, so we miraculously got funded in three days. We got fifteen thousand dollars, which is amazing. But now we're trying to spread our goal to twenty k because like fifteen k was like the bare minimum we could make this movie along with another grant that I got, and it's still going for two more weeks. So you can find all that information. So that happened film on Instagram.
Speaker 2: And also yeah, check web the link also for you in the footnotes, so you know click, yeah, yeah, get in on.
Speaker 1: Tradition so good, everybody should go check it out. Yeah, And is there a work of media that you've been enjoying?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I actually use this film as like a reference for my film. It's called Past Lives. It is so good, so beautiful. I saw it at Sundance. I saw it again last week because one of the film festivals I worked for in Austin, we did a advance screening with a twenty four at our local art house. And it's out in New York, it's out in California, and I think it is playing in Austin some other places. But it's kind of like a slow rollout. But it's written and directed by Selene's song she's playwright. And it's just kind of about like the things that I loved about relationships changing over time, kind of like where you are in your current life versus like what could happen in the future, and like things in the past, like if you just like stayed in a certain place, like what world your life be like? And it's just so beautiful and and like the writing is so amazing, and I suggest, like everyone watch it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think it's just now opening wide, like yeah, and the I think it has the highest Metacritics score of like any movies.
Speaker 3: I don't doubt that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's got a ninety two metacritics, crazy, amazing, Miles. Where can people find you? Is there a workimedia you've been enjoying? Uh?
Speaker 2: Twitter, Instagram at Miles of Gray Basketball Talk. That's Miles and Jack Got Mad. Boosty is our other podcast. And then if you want to hear me talk about ninety Day Fiance the other way or no before the ninety Days which just aired, check me out on four to twenty Day Fiance with Sophia Alexandra. I don't really have a work on media again. I've I just I finished that show Siren because all the episodes all came out this week and I had to watch it to its conclusion. So I'm just kidding on that. Another work of Korean media. Actually, there you go.
Speaker 1: You can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore O'Brien a tweet I've been enjoying at fans since O nine tweeted, I don't I don't know why Tar can't be in the next Fast and Furious movie. Just have them go to our Long Island childhood home and she's like, well, well, well, Dominic Toretto and it turns out she's been holding a super car for him and hurt garage.
Speaker 2: I think it's a good idea.
Speaker 1: It makes sense to me. You can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore O Brian. You can find us on Twitter at daily Zeitgeist. We're at v daily Zeikeeist on Instagram. We have a Facebook fanpage and a website Daily zekeist dot com, where we post our episodes and our footnote or link off to the information that we talked about in today's episode, as well as a song that we think you might enjoy. Miles, what's the song do you think people might enjoy?
Speaker 2: We're gonna go out on some French rap. This is Prince Wally okay, w a l y and the track is called Balotelli, like Mario Balotelli is a soccer player and it's Dope's just I don't know, Like whenever I hear a French rap, I don't know what they're saying, but it sounds cool. So let me know if if you've a francophone and you're like, oh no, you don't want to be you don't want to be singing this song, but anyway, the beat is cool, So check out Baloatelli by Prince Wally. Mario not to be confused with Mario Batali, No no, Mario Balatelli, who is a ganane Italian soccer player, much cooler than much after. He's actually kind of a like he was a wild he was a wild figure like Dana was one of those players who was like had a lot going for him and then his personality just led him to self destruct his own career.
Speaker 4: There you go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but anyway, we've seen it all before. All right, Well, The Daily Zeike is a production of iHeart Radio.
Speaker 1: For more podcast from my Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio ap Apple podcast or wherever you listen your favorite shows. That is going to do it for us this week. We are back on Monday early ish in the afternoon to tell you what's trending, what you missed over the weekend, and we will talk to you all then fight bye.