Speaker 1: Warning. This podcast contains spoilers for the first episode of the new Halo series on Paramount Plus. Elden Ring kind of not really Shadow of the Colossus, which is a game that is almost twenty years old now but is well worth your time if you can play it Injustice and possibly more video games. You have been warned.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 1: My name is Jasoncepcio and welcome to x ray Vision, The Crooked Podcast, where we dot d bien to your favorite shows, movies, comics, and pop culture. On today's action packed episode in the Airlock, we will recap the first episode of Paramount Plus's adaptation of the Halo video game series Halo, and discuss which video games we're currently playing. I'm playing only one and it's taken over my life and I need help help me. Continuing our coverage of the Batman, we're joined in the Hive Mind by the legendary comics writer Grant Morrison discuss their iconic career in nerd Out, a audience member tells us about Final Fantasy for Free Enterprise, and in the endgame, we rank our top three video game adaptations to do all of that. Joining us today is writer Comics Encyclopedia, brilliant creator, Rosie Night, Rosie, how are you?
Speaker 3: I'm good?
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm doing well? What's what's going on? What's happening? What's happening with you? What's happening with the Well, let's talk about it. We've been teasing it. Oh, let's talk about it here. We've been teasing it. But let's talk about your comics project, which you can now safely announce. I can now love it if you'd denounce it.
Speaker 3: Okay, So if you've read any of my stuff we've had me on the show, you'll know that I love Godzilla. Godzilla's weell my absolute favorite things. And me and this absolutely brilliant artist called Oliver Ono, who you might actually already follow on Instagram because he's very popular, we are doing a Godzilla comic and it is called Godzilla Rivals two Versus Bachra, which is a very long name, but it's a really cool mash up comic. We're allowed to announce it now. They're finishing up final work on the cover and it is a forty page one shot and it is.
Speaker 4: Really really cool.
Speaker 3: It's set in the British seaside. Because I'm from London, and that was somewhere that Oliver actually spent a lot of time as a kid too, So we're just really excited about it. It's basically like Studio Ghibli meets Godzilla with a lot of Kaiju fighting action.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and not available when.
Speaker 3: Okay, So it looks like if you read comics or you have started a pull list because of us, you will know that comics are listed many months before they come out, so it should be around July, the beginning ish of July, we hope. And as soon as it is really available and we have a link where you can order it and stuff, I'll make sure that we put it in the show notes and people can have a look, and hopefully we'll talk about it more because all of us are is like, so incredible and definitely just go follow him on Instagram Oliver oh No, And it's just so exciting and I'm really happy that this is the first place I've gotten to talk about it, So thank you for asking.
Speaker 1: Well, that is fantastic, and we're gonna have to have y'all on to discuss your work. Now, let us step into and out of the air lock to discuss Halo oh Bomb bumba bumba Halo. Okay, folks, Paramount Plus's adaptation of Halo. It's been long for man. I remember Rosie back in like Halo three days. Halo three had an absolutely incredible promotional campaign that was like these really grounded action vignettes of Master Chief in his apocalyptic war against the Covenant alien races and it was really really cool. And it was around that time that people were like, Oh, Halo movie, It's gonna happen. Who will it be? Will it be Spielberg? Will it be Neil Blong, Camp of District nine? Who will be? And this has been We've been waiting for it, waiting for it, waiting for it. I had forgotten about it. I stopped playing Halo. I started playing Halo again. I stopped again, and then I started again. And now here we are. The year is twenty twenty two, and the Halo television series has now aired on Paramount Plus. We'll have it aired by the time you were listening to this, and we are going to recap now. Episode one of the Halo series, title Contact, written by Stephen Kine and Kyle Killen. The year is twenty five fifty two and first of all, congrats to the human race for making it that far. I didn't think it wasn't I didn't think you were going to get there. To be honest with you, sitting here in twenty twenty two, I'm not one hundred percent convinced that you're going to get there. But in this fictional world, you got there, and I'm kind of proud of you, even though you still be colonizing. But that's okay, okay.
Speaker 3: Human nature. And that's why they call it science fiction. Baby, it's fictional.
Speaker 1: The year is twenty five to fifty two. We are on the planet Magical, which is part of Unified Earth Government territory. It is a colony. Human colonists went out into various far flung planets of the galaxy where they would then mine for resources or what have you, and they would send that back to the central Earth government. And over time the colonists have been like, hey, we're being exploited by you, so Earth Government, and that is the state of affairs today. Magical is a planet rich and exploitable resources, populated by a diverse body of very restive human colonists. The ueg's relationship with its outer colonies is very bad for anyone who read the first Halo novelizations by Eric Nyland, you'll understand where we're coming from with that. When the colonies act up, when they insurrect, when they rebel against the UEG, the UEG sends in the space Marines, the UNSC United Nations Security something something I forgot what it was. Marines end the newly kind of newly created elite force of specially trained and equipped warriors known as the Spartans. They are widely feared throughout the colonies, and they are a subject of much propaganda by the UEG. So Kwan Hall is a colonist. She and her friends are exploring the landscape of Madrigal, where the various plants are rich with heavy hydrogen, which is very useful apparently as an energy source and also for drugs. Quan sees something strange in the woods. She follows it. She sees an alien ship near a cave where there's clearly some sort of mining activity taking place. Quan is like, okay, like, let's return to the outpost. We have to tell everybody what's happening, and her friends are kind of like, oh no, let's not do that, which is crazy, like why would that is there's an alien ship here, I think we need to go back. And then in that moment they are attacked by the Covenant, who are We're going to find this out of the course of the series, So minor spoiler, but this is like available information if you've ever played a Halo game, which is probably likely. The Covenant is an alliance of alien races who have bound together for religious reasons, and they are extremely adept and militaristic, and they have plasma weaponry and you don't want to fuck with them. Quan sends up a flare warns the outposts. The colonists, including Quan's father, swinging into action. They arm themselves with like this was crazy, with like assault weapons like from the twenty first slash twenty seconds, like three hundred year old guns, which I get it. If you're the UEG, you probably don't want your colonists having like really good weapons.
Speaker 3: But the gunned in they unbelievable fashion, unbelievable.
Speaker 1: They just have like antiques out here, So all the guns and all that stuff, it doesn't it doesn't matter because the elites are like seven feet tall, incredibly strong. They have energy shields that just turn back the bullets with ease, and they are armed with plasma weaponry that just melt people. They easily brush the colonials aside, and just as the colonials are being completely wiped out, the unsse and four Spartans Sorein riz Kai and the Master Chief John one one seven arrive and they are bad ass. So they managed to check the attack. Uh, and it's it's another victory for the Spartans, minus the fact that every single colodial has been massacred, except.
Speaker 3: So it's kind of.
Speaker 1: Like it's a it's a you win some, you'll lose some, but listen, the colony has been defended. The Spartans set off to find out where the landing site is. They discover the same cave that Kwan had found, and inside that cave there is some sort of alien artifact that that the covenant we're trying to extract. Chief touches it. The device activates with this green light of sending out these interesting lines and patterns, and suddenly inside Chief's mind something unlocks and these long buried memories start emerging, and he sees like snippets of like some other plant, a dog, like some kind of crashed ship and then Chief snaps out of it. A cloaked Elite sprints out of the cave, knocking down Kwan, who has already been through so much today, and now Quan's knocked unconscious buying fleeing Elite, the elite escapes. Chief is like, hey, take this alien drop ship back to Fleet Command so they can look into it. I am going to go after the Elite to see where he went, and that's what I'm going to do. I'm going to get that artifact back. And that's what we're doing. And the Spartans are like, are you sure, that's kind of like not procedure. He's like, don't worry about it. I'm the Master Chief. I worry you'd do this. On Reach, which is an important United Government world ten and a half light years from Earth, it's the home of UNSC Fleet Command, we meet doctor Catherine Halsey, who is a brilliant super genius behind the Spartan project and the secret programs of which we will soon learn about. And if you have read the Halo novelizations are played a Halo game, you probably can figure out where this is going. She sees something in the way that the artifact reacts to the Master Chief. She's watching like the security footage of this that interests her. Admiral Paragowski arrives at Halsey's lab and she is like the big muckety muck at Fleet Command and she arrives and she's like, listen, Security council might just cut your funding because of this magical debacle, Like it doesn't look great. Yes, the Spartans defeated the Covenant, but like all the colonials did. And Halsey's like, forget about the colonials. We don't care. We literally don't want to talk about them on anymore. Let's talk about this artifact that that we found on Madrigal. And we learn through this conversation that the ug has been fighting a covenant for a long time, but apparently most colonials don't really they think the Covenant is like a myth. And also, after all these years, the UEG has no idea what the Covenant want. They have no idea what they want, so maybe this artifact will tell them what they want. Is the first time they've got any kind of indication that the Covenant wants something, so they know that they have to get this artifact. Halsey tells Paragowsky that listened, the artifact needs to come to my lab. It should not go to the lab of doctor Miranda Keys, a rising figure in the unsc and spoiler alert kind of well not really they say it in the episode, so I'll just tell you doctor Halsey's daughter. On her way out, Paragowsky tells Halsey to get rid of that, and that turns out to be some kind of clone, some kind of clone, probably for the Kortana project, but perhaps like trying to restart the Spartan project. What do you think that could be?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I definitely think And the thing is, it looks like it could be a clone of doctor Halsey. So there's definitely younger Halsey, younger Holesey. So there's come some kind of strange thing here. It could be something more intimate about trying to cure a sickness that's often like a sci fi thing, you need to replace yourself so your work can go on, or I think most likely because of the show and how much they're gonna it seems like they're leaning into the like conflicted nature of master Chief and the kind of realities of the Spartan program. I think it's like gonna be a spin off or a continuation of the Spartan program.
Speaker 1: We then go shockingly, I must say to high Charity. Another location from the video games, somewhere in uncharted space. This is the Covenant High Command megabase. The size of a planet looks like a gigantic jellyfish. A Covenant profit who is profits are part of the Alien Alliance and they are basically the leadership class in the Covenant is discussing with a human woman named Makey. They don't actually say her name in this, but from IMDb this is cheating, but m A k ee, So I'm gonna say Makey. I think that's right.
Speaker 3: This this scene, I just need to say this. We'll talk more about the general show. And like the opening really sets this kind of unexpected tone, but it fits into what kind of what I expected from a Halo show. Lots of action, like really great creature work. But this scene is so prequel Star Wars. It's so Amadala and it's so deep, hard bureaucratic sci fi, and I wasn't really expecting to get that.
Speaker 1: This was the scene that surprised me as well. Yeah, so it apparently Machi. You again, they haven't said her name yet, so I hope that's right. Is a human that apparently was kidnapped by the Covenant and raised in their ways. So Machi apparently predicted where the artifact would be, and she was right about that, but not that the Spartans would arrive and foil the plans to snatch it. So the profit is being very very like snackety with Machi and in fact downright derisive towards her. More interestingly, we know that the Covenant has a nickname for master Chief. They call him a demon. Maki would like to speak to the cloaked Covenant warrior who escaped the cave and witnessed the entire incident and saw that the artifact reacted to master Chief with it, which the Covenant find very interesting.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: The prophet then mock's MACKI for reading apparently like human literature in an attempt to know the mind of humanity on master Chiefs. Condor Kwan wakes up on route to reach she finds the Master Chief staring at the artifact. He's just obsessed with this fucking thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he wants to know about that flashback like he was that conflict, like, wasn't he just always master chief? Who is this dog?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: What where did.
Speaker 3: Where did he come from?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: And that's that's obviously going to be the major seed. And I kind of think that the nod about MACKI reading like human literature hints that there's going to be some kind of conflict there that's relative of this idea of the Covenant and the humans and some kind of.
Speaker 1: Romance.
Speaker 3: How smell a romance across these two people who might know where they come from have been adopted in strange classes.
Speaker 1: I know, I love it. Miranda Keys holograms into talk to Kwan and Ken. She's like, hey, listen, I'm really really sorry that your dad and everyone you ever knew has been massacred by the Covenant.
Speaker 4: In front of your eyes brutally.
Speaker 1: That was really tough. But but but but if you were to like get on the twenty sixth century TikTok and be like, hey, hey, y'all, you know what was really cool the Spartans. They came and defended us, and yes, I'm the only survivor, but they did a great job and they are here to protect us. If you would go on, you know, do a media tour and just help us sell how what a great job the Spartans are doing for the colonials. That would really be a help. And Kwan's like, no, I'm not gonna do that. I'm not gonna sell out like that. She says that if she were to record such a video, she would just say, hey, you know what, the Spartans slaughtered everybody. What about that? That's what they did. And if you don't want me to do that, here are my demands free magic goal from UEG control and Miranda Keys is like, well that went badly and hangs up. We go back to Reach where Halsey is a studying Master Chiefs vitals. Everything here's you know, how your iPhone or your device gives you now hopefully gives you the option to like opt out of all your information being like sold to various places them onlier Armor does not have that. You can't turn of everything. Everything gets sent to unsc fleet Command and Halsey is studying Master Chiefs vitals and she notices that whoa, this artifact really did something to the Chief, like his biology is different somehow, And she notices that curiously Master she is not mentioned that he's feeling weird or anything. So that's a note of concern. She speaks with him, asks him about it. He says, listen, I touched the object and I saw stuff I saw visions of, like maybe my childhood. I saw a dog. And it's clear that Master Chief is very troubled by this. On Reach, doctor Keys talks with her dad, Captain Jacob Keys. I'm just gonna call Captain Jacob about Miranda's unsuccessful attempt at diplomacy, at diplomacy with.
Speaker 3: Qualms like it was not good, badly timed. It was like, hey, sorry, your friends died, but could you just like do some cool propaganda for us, even though we've been messing up your lives.
Speaker 1: Just like go straight to camera, Just like if you could do just a video, something vertical and just go straight to.
Speaker 3: Camera content about this massacre.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, while her dad is talking to her about this, they're like dissecting covenant bodies around her, which is like not the setting to have this converse station anyway. Keys is frustrated at Halsey is stymying her career at every term, and here we learn that, to make things even weirder, that's her mom. So okay, that's an issues shocking. And then at the end of this conversation, Captain Jacob her dad again just very casually drops the news that hey, we're gonna disappear Kwan.
Speaker 2: What.
Speaker 1: Yeah, We're gonna liquidate her. What Yeah, We're gonna assassinate her. What Yeah, We're gonna exit. We're gonna fucking kill her because the story, whatever story she has, we don't want that to get out. It's just much easier if all the colonists for Magical Die and Doctor Keys is absolutely fucking shocked at this. It's like, honey, how long you've been working at the UNSC is what we do?
Speaker 3: You know what? It's Uh, it's the moment when you realize that they're not going to shy away from the reality, which is they are the bad guys like they which I love.
Speaker 1: I that's the thing. I the books go there as well, because the colonials are restive as well, they have certain demands. The UNSC acts completely ruthlessly towards them. The Spartan program was in fact created and deployed against human beings if more often they're not. And I'm glad that they went there. Yeah, it's cool that they went there with.
Speaker 3: I think it's really interesting and we'll get to kind of the tone and the vibe. But like, I think it's really interesting to take what to a lot of people who haven't necessarily deeply played the games, or who haven't read the books, which I'm so gonna have to do now, like I'm gonna need it. I think I read the first one, but I think I need to go back and read them because I feel like this must be taking so much inspiration because there's so much depth to this first episode. But I think it's really cool that they essentially took something that a lot of people just know as kind of like a shoot them up, kind of like fast Pass sure, and I like, here's like a Star Trek level in depth exploration of this world that you've never seen. And let's talk about what it means to be colonists, and let's talk about what these government aids just sees will do to survive.
Speaker 1: I really love and am fascinated by the fact that they took a military shooter and made a show that is very critical of militarism.
Speaker 3: So that is very interesting and.
Speaker 1: That's when it's gonna keep me watching at this point. So on the back on Master chief Ship, Kwan is eating his Master chief sits there like a weirdo watching. He attempts a little humor and she's like, do you want somebody eat? He's like, yeah, I eat nuts and waltz and stuff, which is very funny. She's like, you ever take off your helmet, you know, Mandalorian style and he says like the Mandalorian. No, that's that is the way. Yes, that's a different show. But still it's got all my you know UI and all the interface stuff in.
Speaker 3: The Mandalorian is.
Speaker 4: Well, that's so much Wars in this show.
Speaker 1: But yeah, she's and then Kwan is like, hey, we met you remember that? And he's like no, and she was like, so a bunch of colonists had got together to talk about like what the UEG was doing and how oppressive they were being, and someone called in a bomb threat and then the UNSC Marine Marine Force plus the Spartans responded and they wiped everybody out, including my mom. What do you think about that? And Master she was like, oh, I remember that. Yeah, the orders were to kill the leader, but then in the middle of it, the orders changed and it was to kill everyone who is there. And by the way, that is, I might be remembering this wrong. It's been a number of years since I read Reached, the first book in the Halo series, but that is like the opening actions of Eric Nyland's Halo Reach, if I recall correctly. Anyway, master Chief and the rest of the Spartans to paraphrase him, were basically just following orders.
Speaker 3: And we all know where that's happened before and how I write.
Speaker 1: And just as he is getting done telling her this, an order comes across his visor that says liquidate Qwan Oh, and he's like, hey, what was.
Speaker 3: Your name again?
Speaker 1: Yes, doub He like, doesn't He does it like a quick double check, and he's like you're Kuwan right, and she's like yep. He's like okay. On Reach. Alarm is growing because it's clear that Master Chief is acting super weird. Rather than kill Kwan immediately, he has killed the video feed from his ship, which is again quite alarming to UNSC headquarters. Halsey tells Paragowski and Captain Jacob that she thinks that Master Chief is accessing old memories, which Paragowsky is like, oh shit, like do we want our ultimate weapons suddenly being going off script and being like, hey, where did I come from? What have you done?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: We don't want that, And Halsey's like, this is exactly why we need the Quartana system to help keep them under control. And Paragrassy's like, here you go again, pitching the Quartana system in the middle of emergency. Stop cloning and I'm talking about Quortana, And she orders Halsey to get Master Chief under control. The UNSC cuts the oxygen level on Master chief ship, which is on autopilots. So the idea is they just fall asleep and the ship lands and then we can figure it out. The ship arrives in Reach space. But Chief is tough and he can somehow just like brute force himself through oxygen deficiency, and he like wakes up and tweaks the atmosphere controls in the ship and now everybody's able to breathe. Paragowsky orders a full military response to meet the Chief when he lands, but Halsey very very very very mischievously superses the order directly to the Spartan squad. She tells the Spartans, Hey, new orders for you guys, protect Master Chief no matter what whoever's trying to harm him, doesn't matter. You protect Chief and they're like does that mean like UNSC marines And Halsey's like figure it out, genius, and they're like okay, yeah, what do you think? Back on the ship, pulls a battle rifle on Chief, my favorite weapon from the Halo video game series, as I'm sure I'm not alone in that, and Chief is like, listen, I like the I like the Moxie, but that thing's not even going to scratch me. I'm like under an energy shield. Under that is like multiple layers of titanium. Under that is some other fucking futuristic shit. There's no way you can even hurt me with that, so stop it. Then he takes off his helmet and he's like, this is my face. You may have recognized me from season two of The Wire on the Docks.
Speaker 3: With Terrifying Moment.
Speaker 1: My name is Pablo Streamer. You've seen me and other stuff. Here's the right, here's the America Gods. Also, here's the deal. The UNSC wants to kill you and I'm trying to protect you. Now, do you want to put that three burst into my face? Or do you want to live? And Kwan's like, I want to live. Okay, So first things first, we need to disconnect disconnect the the AI control of the ship, and Kwan does that by shooting it. So master Chief then takes off, but then the uns cannons knock the Condor out of the sky. The ship is surrounded by marines and spartans. They're about to break into the ship. But then Master Chief here he goes again. He's just obsessed with his artifact. He can't stop thinking about it. He looks at it on the ground and he touches it, and more memories come to the four. Now he sees people's faces, different things, snippets of rooms, and more stuff, and the artifact releases a pulse and Fleet Command loses power. But interestingly, the Condor gets powered up and master Chief snaps out of it. He says, buckle up, we're out of here, folks, and they fly away and we're off into episode two. So, Rosie, your thoughts on episode one of Halo.
Speaker 3: It was very different than I thought it was gonna be same, And the more I think of it, I actually think that's like a good thing. I think it's really had to adapt something that is so much about the player's experience which is, you know the problem with every video game, but specifically a game like this where you are in the space and world and mind. And also like how much of the narrative people know of Halo is to do with how much they commit to it, so for some people that they don't. And I actually thought that it was really interesting and weird and slow Bernie, and also as well, like the production value was really great.
Speaker 1: I agree this.
Speaker 3: It looks so good.
Speaker 1: So I'm watching We're watching it on screeners. Okay, so episode one of the screener we get to give us the first two. I've only seen the first one. Yeah, is it's clear that the vfx are are not quite all the way polished, but it still looks incredible. Yeah, like the the practical effects, explosions, the battle scenes, the elites themselves, Like there's just some like minor textural stuff that it's clear that we're going to fill in, but like Reach looks incredible. Yeah, High Charity looks incredible. Like all the stuff looks amazing.
Speaker 3: Something that I think is really cool that I enjoyed a lot about this, I think was something I didn't really get from the trailers. I think a lot of stuff that came out Halo. You know a lot of the movies, a lot of this stuff that came out in this era was very like Orange. It had that color grading of you know, war and sand and barren and the green of master Chief and stuff. But this, there's so many we get that classic opening, Like the opening is kind of very Star Wars Star Treki where you really get the feeling of the colonists before you see them being massacred sadly. But I just thought they actually did such a good job of showing all these different worlds and spaces and they all looked so different and were so visually easy to follow that even though when you're describing it, it's like then they're there, then they're there, but you know, from the cinematography, from the production design, you immediately know where you are once you've been there one time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I completely agree. And I and again like I'm a big fan of Starship Troopers me too. They love it as a like a satire of millistriism that and fascism that is so finely tuned that I think probably the majority of people who watch that movie or just when this is a great just action.
Speaker 3: When it came out.
Speaker 1: I think nothing deeper of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I have a name. I have a nameplate necklace like people get of their names, and mine says Viehoven because I love Paul Verehoven so much. And when that movie came out, people hated it. People were like it this is military fascist propaganda, which is what the book it's based on was. But actually it's such a searing, fucking brilliant, brutal satire and every time you watch it it still feels absolutely relevant. And I definitely, I definitely like that this. This is not as funny Starship Troopers is, like Hilario, Yes, but I love that this has that same intention of examining the idea of like a militarized action show and what it means to be a militarized force. I think it's it's a really interesting and unexpected Yeah.
Speaker 5: I love that.
Speaker 1: I love that too, And it's kind of got this iron giant feel to it of we've lost control of our weapon. Yeah, you know, our our We've made this ultimate weapon, high tech. It is our last hope to like turn back the tide of whatever, whatever whatever, And yes, we are suspending space civil liberties and oppressing our colonies. We have to, but we have to do it, but then to lose control of the weapon because the weapon is like is this is this the right way to be doing?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 2: Is?
Speaker 1: I love stories to it? And so I'm on the hook.
Speaker 3: I also think that you some one of the moments that you said that's like, I think is actually really smart in retrospect, is like how master Chief can weigh cup when they turned down the oxygen levels. It's like, don't be surprised. You literally built him to be like immortal infallible, like, and now what happens when that thing that you created to destroy other people? To destroy? This a you know how many you know, we're talking about video games, like what about you know, I'm not saying this is the route that this is going to go, but I love the implication of like that kind of Did you ever play at PlayStation one game Shadow of the Colossus? Oh? My right, so the whole time, Yes, of course I knew A.
Speaker 1: Shadow of the Colossus for those of you who don't know, is a game by one of the great art tours of video games for Meido Uta, and it is about a person who rides around this beautiful like fantastical landscape and is uh, that person's mission is to like kill these massive, very gentle beast.
Speaker 3: You know, you're meant to think because it's a monster, because you're playing a video game, right, it's a monster, and you are the person you've got to kill them, and you realize at the end that that you are the bad guy. You are not the.
Speaker 1: Killing these these gentle giants that are just like chilling in feelings.
Speaker 3: You're like part of the natural order of things. They're these beautiful and that is like one of the most visceral versions of that story that I think of so often, And I definitely feel like there's something interesting in what they're seeding here where it's like master Chief recontextualizing the people that he's meant to be killing and realizing that there's a humanity to everyone. And that's really I mean, obviously Pablo Schreiber, he's he's doing the master Chief thing. It looks incredible. The suit is like.
Speaker 1: Absolutely perfect perfect.
Speaker 3: But yeah, in har who plays Kwanha, I think that's the that's the human heart of the show. And I think even though you know, her whole family got fridged and her whole community I think that it's very smart to do that kind of man. It's like, you know, it's the body, it's the body, unexpected team up. It's the revolutionary and the military man. It's it's a little bit mandalorian ish, but you know, there's no child. It's just like it's hidden fortress. It's the two people who team up. It's a hero's journey. And and Yarinha is so good, like when she was she's great doing this great Quanha did this, like when she does the the speech to the doctor and she's saying, she's like, you know what, I'm just going to tell them that you did it, and she's so unhinged and angry, and You're just like, yeah, I wouldn't even blame you. Like they have their propaganda and you have yours. So I think that this added an unexpectedly kind of human element that I wasn't. I don't think that that would have been the story that got told if this show.
Speaker 1: Got was not expecting them to take this angle on it. And so that is the thing that will keep me watching because I'm really fascinated. But I'm glad you brought up shadow of the classus. Let's talk about some of our favorite video games. I just want to say about Shadow of the Classus. One of the reasons why I think Uita is brilliant and that game in particular is brilliant is that. So one of the mechanics of that game is you have to climb these massive closs i right, and then kill them. And killing them involves like following this like pattern of button prompts like uh, circle, ye, yeah, it'll be like circle, triangle, triangle, circle trial, try, and it'll be that these these strings of patterns for minutes and minutes and minutes, and you're like, why am I doing this? Why is this so hard? Like why is this boss fight like this? The reason it's like that is the game is making you complicit in the murder of these.
Speaker 3: Constantly and for a long time. Like even as you're there and you're thinking, why does it take so long? Why do I have to press all these buttons? You don't stop doing it. You just do it because what the game is telling you to do. It's what you were ordered to do. You. Oh, it's a monster, I have to kill it. That's the nature of video game.
Speaker 1: And that creates this really really like unique emotional feeling of It's one of the saddest games I've ever played in my.
Speaker 3: Life when you have the realization of what is happening. Yeah, that's the power. I think of those video games rather than film and TV. And obviously we love film and TV so much, and you know, I had nothing better than sitting in a cinema and feeling like you're immersed in that world. But in video games, you become complicit. You take the actions, and you make the choices. It's the ultimate pick your own ending story.
Speaker 1: What are you are you playing anything right now?
Speaker 3: Okay, so I I do have like a next gen system that I do intend to get eldem ring on, but this can't wait for you to Yeah, I'm so excited for it, and I know it's going to be really hard, like any any mission based game, but that allows you to kind of roam and do your own thing. I am the roaming and doing my own thing person.
Speaker 1: I literally good news. There's so I will never finish the game.
Speaker 3: I still haven't fully completed Breath of the Wild simply because all I do is go and cook. I just I'm very far and I could finish it if I want, but I just play it, and every time, I'm like, well, I could do this last boss, or I could just like I could just go and cook some food and like, you know, ride a deer. And I love that notion of it, but I have not yet done it. For two reasons that I love my Switch. I'm like the number one Nintendo.
Speaker 1: Switch big switch fan as well.
Speaker 3: I love it. And there are two games. There's a game called Ollie Ollie World, which is a skateboarding platformer that is just so addictive and the art style is really beautiful. It's absolutely inspired by Pendleton Ward and Adventure Time, and it has the most incredible You could just spend like three hours just modeling your character because it's got so many different unbelievable options. You can have all different kinds of looks and skin tones and hairstyles and tattoos. And then it's basically like a really simple but really really tricky game where you can play it kind of like Tony Hawk, where you can get a number of points, but you've always got to finish the course. So that and then I was like, okay, well I've played that a lot, and I love indie games. I'll always go back to it. And I was like, I'll get Elderly and then if you have the Switch Online expansion pack, which obviously I got for Animal Crossing because I love Animal Crossing. I'm a big They just uploaded I think, like, well, they uploaded two new sets of Mario Kart courses that have absolutely new for Mario Kart eight, which is eight new track. So that's it. That's just my life. I absolutely love it. I love Merica, and I was like, why weren't they make a new Mario Cup. But now I'm like, oh, because they can just keep making new tracks for this, and I will happily take.
Speaker 6: Those new tracks, those free new tracks. I know for you it's only about one game, so tell me.
Speaker 1: Well, right now I'm playing so much elder Yeah, I've not been a big Demon Souls Bloodborn person, which is the from Soft, the publisher. Those are their previous games and the kind of games that were created under the stewardship and direction of Hitataka Miyazaki, who's also directed of the Solo series. So this game is like in the lineage of those games. But veteran Souls Born players will tell you that this is the easiest version. I don't know about that. It is still like early game is so hard. It's so hard, Rosie. It's like everything can fucking kill you. Little animals are beating your ends. And here's the thing so that this game is it's extremely popular and it's great. What do I love?
Speaker 3: Love?
Speaker 1: What do I love about it? I love that it's like Breath of the Wild. There is a feeling of the thrill of exploration, of just finding new dungeons, new corners of the map, new places, beautiful places, and really that's how to progress in the game, because the very first thing that happens in the game is you come out of the tutorial like catacombs, and you're presented with this huge night on a steed that you can't beat. You can't beat them. Maybe if you're a veteran Souls Born player, maybe you can beat them, but like one hundred percent, you can't fight this thing, and so your only option is to go off and explore, and through that exploration you can level up and eventually be able to fight these various bosses. So it's that kind of feeling of what else is there to explore. I'm like, I don't know how many hours I'm into this game, but there has I'm there's still a whole section of the map that I haven't online.
Speaker 3: You were saying in Austin you were on like level seventy seven or something and it was still so hard, Like you have lost the hard pot.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you.
Speaker 1: Right now, I'm level of right now ninety eight and I'm still getting my ass.
Speaker 2: Kid.
Speaker 1: It's it's interesting because there's this whole discourse has come up around this game. Part of what makes these games so difficult is there is there can how to play them is very opaque. There's all these features and tips and tricks that you really rely on the community to tell you. There's all these secret buffs and secret d buffs that you can get by like hugging in PCs and different things in different ways to like make your stuff your your your like weaponry and your and your power set like work better. But that's not explained to you. And so this is a real feature of these kind of games. And also like players can leave little messages for you and here there's like a secret passage here, and sometimes those are fakes. So what's been interesting is there is this whole discourse. Some publishers, some of the people the devs that worked on another game that got released it is also very good that I'm not going to talk about. But they're in America. We're like, uh, you know, why do people like this? Why is this? It's so weird like taking shots at this game kind of like at a not directly, but at a weird angle, being like, oh, it's this huge landscape, but it's so empty, and like the UI is not good, like you don't it doesn't tell you all the stuff on the screen. And I agree with that to an extent. But the thing this game does, and this is a hallmark of the kind of not to like not to bundle all Japanese game devs together, okay, but like similar to Shadow of the Classes, there's a thing that elden Ring does that is kind of like this, uh, where they use the mechanics to kind of like enhance a philosophy. And the philosophy is, from my perspective, ask the other people playing how to play, yes, and so that's what the philosophy is. Don't ask us, ask the other players, create this community and through that you will discover how to play and I And whereas the more western style is here's everything you need right, and also like, if you need more stuff, you need to be better at it. Here's what you can might do micro chans. Oh yeah, you can pay, you can pay. They give you this Eldering gives you everything you need.
Speaker 3: You just need to know you need.
Speaker 1: To ask other people. And I think and there's something really uh it sounds hokey, but there's something I think really cool about that I watch. Let me, I want to I want to shout out this creator. Hold on a second, because I forgot what his name is, Like, I've been watching videos by I'm not I'm not going to pronounce this right, but I'm just going to say. The creator's name on YouTube is Vati Vidya, So it's Vaa t I v I d Ya. And this person like has a ton of content like dealing with bloodborn with demon souls and now elden Ring, and this person creates truly beautiful content that like really enhances the mythology and the wonderful like magic feeling of exploring the game. And the fact that that elden Ring the creator, velden Rings the from software, the publisher and Bandynamco like the fact that like they are empowering other creators to create this stuff around it. They are saying, hey, go and seek out these people because they will help you play the game. I think is really cool and it's part of what I find so magical about this game.
Speaker 3: I also think like it actually takes from people might not remember this because we're both kind of old and like gaming has changed a lot, but like it's like the odd is like we had, like we had to communicate with each other to get cheat codes to get extra lives. You had to have the friend who knew what the cheat code was for the specific really weird nichee again, and you always had that one friend or you know, you would you would have the one friend, or you'd all chip in to buy the Giant Game Guide, you know, and then you know all the difference she had exact place, And I kind of love that. Yeah, I didn't really know that was such an active part of Triple A games until Death Stranding, where they were literally allowing people to build new objects, and I just I love It's like what we talk about with comics all the time. I love the conversation between creators and fans and fans and fans, and that's actually what keeps this stuff alive so to me that just I love that that's an aspect of the game, because I actually think that's the joy of it is.
Speaker 4: That's why we do this podcast. That's why we love the.
Speaker 3: People who listen to it. That's why the people want to listen to it is because it's just people talking about stuff they love and if you can and it's even better if that is a reward based Like you if you're like I'm talking to you about this and guess what now, you can you know, not die for ten minutes longer because because I learned something, what do you know? And you can like share that. I actually think that's really cool. I love the aspect and.
Speaker 1: It's a beautiful game. Like if you like the rest of the wild, then you will enjoy this game. Uh, just when you get frustrated, just explore. That would be my one little hint. Yeah, okay, now people a lot. Now for the slightly bummer part of this conversation, which people people have been asking, Hey, you're gonna play Hogwarts Legacy? Are you gonna play it? What do you think about it? How does it look? And listen, I've watched all the videos I have watched. The videos include some more recent ones of the more finished build. It looks great. It looks triple A. The magic system looks really cool. That said, Yeah, Rosie, I don't know how you feel. I'll say how I feel. I because of Jk's history of transphobia, semi recent, you can't even get history doing this. She's been doing this for now, for several years now. I just I can't give her any more money. That's a. That's it's really that simple. Like I've given her a lot of money. I've i have been part of a community of fans that loves these stories. But I just can't, in good conscience give her any more money. And I've got like a lot of games that I could do that I could easily play. Whatever other people want to do, that is their business, but I don't. I just feel like I can't.
Speaker 4: I know, I totally agree with you.
Speaker 3: It's it's a it's a it's a huge disappointment, I think for lots of people. Yeah, Like it's it's one of those things that we are both people who not only have we like loved Harry Potter, have been part of amazing communities, but like that's part of why we get to do this because yeah, Jason's won my one's back there, Like this is part of why we get to do this for our job, which is amazing, is because that was something that we spoke about or we talked about or we kind of shared with people, you know. But I'm the same. I can't. I don't get any now, not only ethically do I not want to support, but I don't get any love out of it. I can't ignore it. I can't separate it really hard.
Speaker 1: I can't. I couldn't.
Speaker 3: It's active, it's it's harmful, especially in the wake of the kind of transphobic laws and anti LGBTQ IA plus laws that are going across that is having a massive platform and spreading that kind of hatred.
Speaker 1: It just the violence that that community faces, and it creates more virulce violent death. Like it's just it's actually not in any way. No, I couldn't. I couldn't. You give her more money.
Speaker 3: And there is plenty of like you said, there's magical, amazing games. Especially I think like the Switch for me really changed my life. And I've never really been a PC game mat so, so the Switch has changed my life because now there's all these incredible indie games made by queer creators, made by transcreators, and you can just access them on the Switch. The Switch has incredible sales, like I got Spiritfarer, which is easily one of my favorite games of all time.
Speaker 1: Game unbelievable.
Speaker 3: I got it in a Switch sale. It's a beautiful game about death and grieving and it's kind of this incredible platformer and it has the most unbelievable explorations of love and different kinds of love and different kinds of people, and it is just so wonderful. And to me, I'm like, I love Triple A gaming and it's so exciting. And I've got a much better I have terrible hand to my coordination, and I sucked at video games.
Speaker 1: When I was a kid, but I've lost my son.
Speaker 3: Now you know I'm doing better. So you know what, I'm lucky.
Speaker 4: I'm an adult.
Speaker 3: I get to make my own decisions. That's not something either of us are going to decide to support.
Speaker 1: Before we move on, Have you played Celeste?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: I actually yeah, I uh yeah, Celeste. I almost got to write something very cool about that game, a project that never happened. But that's another a brilliant game about mental health depression.
Speaker 1: One of the I think one of the most profound statements about mental health in a popular format ever. Believe the video games Celeste, which is in a an extremely hard but rewarding in its hardness platformer with I think one of the one of the great like original soundtracks in a video game ever. It's really cool like electro indie. Uh, soundtrack by Lena Rain if you have a switch, and I think it's available actually in the in the in the game stores of most major consoles. Celest. Great story, beautifully told, wonderful art, great music. Try it out. Uh, next up, let's talk. What do you say we talked to the great, the legendary Grant Morrison.
Speaker 3: I mean, is there anything bad?
Speaker 1: No, is not. Let's do it. Welcome to the Hive Mind, where we explore topic in greater depth. Was a helpful an expert guest today, folks, let's get right to it. The legendary, the legendary, the iconic, incredibly influential Grant Morrison.
Speaker 3: Grant, it's so good to see you, and thank you so much for coming.
Speaker 1: It's just yes, so wonderful.
Speaker 2: Oh, you're welcome. I see I see this, I see this camera movement.
Speaker 3: It's a it's a free wheeling conversation.
Speaker 2: So important, spinning hitchcocky.
Speaker 3: It's our fourth guest. I mean it's our second guest, or four of us. But yeah, something we talk about a lot on here because we like love comics, like I make comics.
Speaker 4: Jason's a writer.
Speaker 3: We we love reading them. What was kind of your comic book origin. What was the thing that made you love comics.
Speaker 2: I just I was a little kid in the sixties and comics were always about and I was lucky enough that my mother was into science fiction, so she was a huge fan of sort of science fiction paperbacks and all those you know, kind of fifties, sixties, all the really cool stuff, so I had that around the house. I was very into the imagery, though I didn't particularly like the books, but comics were there as well. And it was my uncle Billy particularly. He was the same guy who got me into the occult later. But he had this huge family and cats and dogs and rabbits and stuff, and they had comic books about all the all the time, So it was it was the Flash was the one that always remember, I mean, the first the first comic I remember from when I was like three years old. Was actually a marvel Man, a British thing, you know, that the one that Alan now eventually did that became Miracle Man, But it was the very early stuff with Mcanngelo marvel Man, and I remember that was it was marvel Man beats Baron Minchausen and it was just this mad no, it was this mad story. I love that it's got like, you know, there's he ties his donkey to this kind of hitching post and then in the morning all the snows melted and the donkey's hanging off the spider the local steeple, and it was just it was all these weird, these weird Barren moonshous and stories, but with marvel Man involved in it, so that that was the one that stuck in my mind. And that idea of the costume the Superman, you know, seemed kind of intriguing, but it was the it was the Flash for me really. I found these ones when I was starting to get a bit more, you know, a bit older as a kid, like six or seven, and the Flash comics just really fascinated me. They were just so wild and psychedelic and colorful, and I just loved the idea that you could move at super speed, and of course if you moved at super speed, you would wear that costume, you know, and it's like the best, just the best costume and comics, the best boots ever invented, you know. So I kind of esthetically I loved the Flash. I loved the rounded buttocks of the Flash and the runners muscles, you know, and just this the sleekness of the whole thing. And so that that was it. And from there it was kind of I remember things like leading the superheroes and stuff. But it wasn't until I was twelve years old and I was in hospital for an appendix operation and my aunt Aina, who was Billy's wife, brought me in a big ton of comics and that was it. I became hooked for at that minute. And they just they kind of got me through that whole hospital experience and I was just so into it. I remember it was Action comics, Superboy and Flash for the three that really did it for me. So that was my kind of origin. Then I became just a classic fan boy, you know. I visited every store in Glasgow meet and my friends would sort of get together and we'd just do these like super like like forty mile walks, you know, to find every comic store and they be sinning because we didn't have dedicated stores back then, so you would have to go to every local news agent or you know whatever, a drug store or whatever you'd call it, and they all had different comics. Because the distribution was so spotty, we just we just kind of got whatever came in on the ships, so you would find all kinds of different versions of that month's comic books, and it was really it was kind of exciting. You know, you walk for miles and come home with this call, and sometimes it would be really boring, and sometimes you just get some of the best comics ever. So that was it for me, you know. Once I was a teas I got really into the whole collecting and fan boyish kind of aspect of it, and then just came about the notion of I always wanted to write. I love drawing, so wouldn't it be great to do comic books. I'm kind of trying to pursue that. Unfortunately, I was young at the time the British invasion happened, and the American editors were coming here to kind of find people to do their work. So I was in the right place at the right time to do something I love to do.
Speaker 1: When I think about the comics that you write, there's often a self referential quality. Equality of these are created by a comics reader who who understands the character and is in some way commenting on the image of the character through the story. Was that always something you were going for that just kind of happened organically as you were embarking on your writing career.
Speaker 2: I guess it happened as I got into it. But for me, it's honestly it's a literalism that will eventually be revealed as something that weird adhd or something. But you know, it was just a super literal approach to it, which I thought was was was useful to me was to just think, what's the actual artifact, what is the what is the exchange going on between me and the writer of account. It's very different from books or from cinema. You know, on television or cinema, you can kind of the director tells you what to do. You know, you're taking through the two hour movie. It's it's a fifty minute drama and you kind of have to stay with it, you know, it's possible to stop and start, but not in the way with a comic. It's super integrated. You know, the experience that the writers and the artists bring to it's tactile. You're holding it, you turn the pages, you can go backwards and forwards. You can if you've stuck in a bit of the store, you can go back and really stare at an image in a way that you don't do with any other format. So for me, that became the interesting thing is the actual the physicality, and they did the actual reality of what is Superman. Superman is that collection of thousands of thousands of pages that, when assembled, creates this concept of a character. And even though that character's personalities changed radically, and in the eighties of so years he's been around, I think everyone still agrees there's something about it that we all understand to be Superman. It's not just the sign, it's not just the costume of the colors. There's an essential character that is somehow I created over all that time. So I became fascinated by that. That not in the way that you know, I think some of my peers would be interested in telling stories, but what if it was real? You know, what if the Marvel universe actually existed, but it's six one six, you know, it's over there somewhere, whereas to me, it was never over there. It was right here. You could hold it. You could collect all those books and have the entire Marvel Us in a room if you wanted. And that was the real Marvel universe. It was physical, it was touchable, it's tangible, and it developed through decades, and it took like hundreds or ye potentially be now thousands of people who would give up their time and their creativity to sustain this hyper object. So for me, that honestly became the fascinating thing, and it was to take it super literally and to then think, what is what am I doing here? I'm not necessarily telling stories. Although I am telling stories, the stories also have to take into account the fact that the characters exist as these bizarre thought forms that have outlived me and will outlive you know, Scott Snyder, and will outlive you know, Frank Miller. It's like they're bigger than us, and in port way are they bigger than us? So the stories also then had to kind of address that, and I think what you see in my work that people call meta fiction. Baly, you think it's meta fiction is a much more concrete, tized attempt to grapple with the object and the way the characters expressed themselves through these specific objects, and how we relate to that. You know, It's a lot going on that we took for granted just just reading comics, you know, and the exchange of information and the way we allow people into heads who may have very different politics or ideas, but we just let them straight in there. So as you can see, that became a huge field of interesting of exploration. For me, was just that relationship, and it meant that they were real because I couldn't deal with them. I didn't want to just write fantasy stories of what would it be like if you lived in the New York Spider Man was there. That's meaning it's meaningless because I'm never going to go to New York Spider Man's there. It's utterly meaningless as a concept that we have created internally inside our universe, a simulation with Spider Man who's played out this immense over decades, and he's adapted his continuity in order to constantly seem fresh and going, what the hell is that? What is that organism? And then that was that was it? So I mean long answer, like sorry, convolated, but that's how I came at it was trying to actually have a relationship with it that was very real, and that they treated the characters as real, as treated the ideas and it as having a longevity that was beyond human And so what did that make them? You know, put them almost in the realm of gods or of ideas that have outlasted generations and going on for hundreds of thousands of years. And that was That's always been my kind of point of contact and what I wanted to explore.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I remember I once did like a comics writing class with Mike Kerrey and he talked about The X Men in that way where he basically said, this is if somebody found every single issue of the X Men, they would think this was like the Iliad. I would think this was this huge human story that had been going on for So what was it like for you as a fan and a cartoonist and a writer when you started, when you had that realization that you were adding to that mythology and you were kind of part of that ongoing puzzle.
Speaker 4: How did that feel.
Speaker 2: I felt very interesting to see the least, you know, that was amazing. But you know I was young. I was twenty seven I think when I started an Animal Man, and that was my first attempt to explore that. That's when I really get into you can see those first few issues of me trying to do what was a traditional kind of superhero. Yeah, deconstruction of the day, you know, a Frank Alan, the kind of what if it was real, you know, it would be a bit like this, And I lost all interested in that very quickly. So no, and it's not I mean, I'm not trying to be rude about anyone. And people have explored that.
Speaker 1: No, no, it's just your own taste, very clear from them, run you know, absolutely, but people have explored, you know, what would it be like to.
Speaker 2: Be what psychologically what would be like? And honestly, my one feeling is like that seems like dilla tantish of relevant questions because the only formly exist is here, So what do they do? What's the function here? What? You know? So that so I was kind of with with Animal Man. I began to explore that and it was quite primitive then, you know, I sent in a little drawing of myself, and you know, the artists didn't quite understand the clothes I was wearing. I look like I'm wearing these cossack clothes and I'm doing this. The first page you see me, I'm on my chair doing this kind of Cossack Russian dance. It's amazing. So but this was, this was this little thing I sent in there, and it was what a later came to call a fiction suit, and it was the idea, well, okay, these characters exist, but I can create a representation of myself and actually talk to them, actually going to have dialogue. And even though it's like their responder, obviously i'm writing animal's words, but I'm trying to give it that as much autonomy. In my head, I'm thinking, Okay, if this guy is real, I've spent twenty five issues establishing a personality. He's got a family, is into this kind of music, he likes this kind of food. What would his answer to this question be? So trying to give him as much autonomy as a character of thinking, Okay, I'll just accept if Buddy's mad at me, then I'm going to deal with That's if he questions what I've got to say I'll deal with that, and again trying to always give the characters the dignity of outlasting me. You know, I was twenty seven where I did it. I was younger than him. Now now I'm a Rumbly's age and he like, give me the bastard. It's like, are you danswer my grave? So what am I talking to there? What is the scale of the creature of the entity express through the pages? So again I keep bringing it back to the esoteric. But that's what I was going with, and I know man was quite a simplistic way of doing that. It was like sending a little drawing of yourself and talk to the characters and make him understand that you're aware of your spatial, geometrical dimensional relationship to them, but that you're not necessarily privileged privileging yourself in relation to them. And see what happens, you know, see what happens, and then have animal I can see you, And I think that moment is still powerful, Yeah, because it's real. It's a real moment. I wrote him to really see out of that comic book, so that actually happened to that character and he had that moment, and that that's what makes him who he is.
Speaker 1: You started with Animal Man in eighty eight, so this is post Crisis on Infinite Earth's kind of a reset for DC. And and it was, in retrospect, a pretty audacious choice at a character who I think everybody would agree with, you know, kind of like a minor character in the firmament of DC. And then you do this really original, kind of mind bending reflection on a character that not a lot of people had thought about. What was it that made you decide, Okay, animal Man, That's that's the character I want to explore right now at this stage of my career.
Speaker 2: No, I mean, I honestly, it was the obscurity I think of Animal Man was the number one thing. And as I say, the vogue at the time was to pick up characters who weren't necessarily DC's a list, and they were kind of throwing them at British writers, you know, to Alan Moohood had very big success like making swamp thing work in a completely new way. And so the know, Neil Gaming came in and he took what had been Jack Kirby's sand Man does sand Man? You know, they were kind of realizing that we knew what we were talking about. So but as I said, the vogue goes very much to can you take a character from our catalog that just hasn't worked for maybe twenty or thirty years in d see any potential in that? So I knew that was I knew that's the way they were coming to it. And I always had this fascination with animal man. I just am I love animals, the big thing about animals since I was a kid. And here was this actor who could do this, and it seemed a very unique power that a lot of other characters didn't have. It was really specific, it was easy to understand, but he hadn't really made a big splash. And I also loved it because he started as a my greatest adventure story, so it wasn't even a superhero story, just so just this dude who goes out one day and gets animal powers. So I kind of loved that as well. Mate, it grounded them a lot more. Maybe you can you could imagine the movie that one. You know, I only just put on a costume, So going into it was just, yeah, I've got an idea about that, And I don't think you know Karen Berger or Ditchio Danna or Jeanette Canibell have even heard the name of animal Man in the last twenty years. You know. It's like when Neil Neil walked in with Black Black Orchid and they said who Black hartckead? So they I think in a lot of ways they didn't know what kind of characters they had and as long as they heard their interesting pitch. Then at the time, the desire for novelty was such that weigh down really good opportunity to do these things. So yeah, I just I pitched them on that, and I didn't have the so called meter fictional aspect at that time, but also the secondary thing that I loved with the animal rights thing. And again but again it was part of the old thinking because Swamp Thing was very much an eco comic and I love that aspect of it. So I thought, well, let's do this specifically because you know, I'm an animal liberation frunt supporter back in the days before it was illegal and all that, you know, Hunt Sabatur stuff, the whole thing. So I thought, he's my chance to do what Alan's doing with swamp Thing, you know, the ecal thing, but I'll talk specifically about animal rights and all this stuff I'm kind of involved in. So that was the secondary big thing with Animal Man. And as I say, it was only when I got tissue five and I thought, I just don't want to do this eco swamp thing kind of poetic caption stuff, So what can I do? And that became like, let's just do it. And I thought, people, people will hate this. If you put yourself in the comic, they're going to hate it. They're going to just you'll spoil the magic. I just knew that was that's what I wanted to talk about it. And I thought, what I'm talking about is the actual reality of this yeah DC universe. And I think ultimately that people will find that interesting, and.
Speaker 3: I mean they did, and that's become the the the author and in the books, the death of the author, sometimes physically on the page has become such a comic book trope. Now, So you really and obviously like I love that Animal Man kind of these pictures gave everyone this freedom to do this wild kind of esoteric stuff. But then like a year later, you you were like doing Batman with Arkhamisira, So like, what was it like to go from this one of the you talk about the kind of godly nature, the immortals of comics, these kind of new mythology. What was it like from basically getting to introduce a generation of people to Animal Man to taking on someone who's one of these three kind of icons of of DC comics and comics in general.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, they they came at the same time because when I went down to visit DC, when I got the invite to come and pitch some stuff on the day that they kind of signed everyone. So I went down and it was Animal Man was the one. I'd kind of come up with that on the train because I thought I'd come up with Animal Man was very swiftly created out of just here's what I'm into, Here's what I'd love to just write about. But Archiemasilam had been in my head for years and it been plotted out, and I had talked over with with a good friend of mine in Glasgow who was just obsessively into psychology and symbolism. So we went through this whole kind of process long before that. I've hold you do with Batman? How would hope would be a Batman story? And Lenn Wayne, who's probably my biggest influence in comics, had done a Who's Who in DC entry about Archem Asylum and he just had to invent this stuff from whole clause. So he talks about, you know, I'm as Arkham was the founder. The guy committed suicide, or I didn't commit suicide. He kills one of his patients after the stock market collapse. But there's just a line that says, after finding his wife and child, murthered and he commits suicide because of the stock market collaps And I said, well, well, let's back track. He's surely finding your wife and child. Bud might have tiggered the suicidal response. So but that one line was just like, Okay, let's tell that guy's story. That seems interesting. And I think I've read Arkham quite recently and I'm going to write a big piece about it again because I think it's been very misunderstood over these But I think that whole story of Ammade's arkm is really interesting, and that's what gives it the real Gothic Underton.
Speaker 1: Why do you think people have misunderstood.
Speaker 2: I think they misunderstood that from the very beginning. They didn't understand that what we were trying to do was like a European like one of those like Jan Schwankmeyer puppet movies. One was animated, something really cranky, like wood cut, like you know, like like Nosferatu, like what's his name? Like that, you know, the vampire guy, like I'm forgetting the names. But it was not not Branstoe. Yeah right more now. So that's what we were looking at and German expressionism. And we thought because I was, I was going to the cinema a lot to see kind of weird like you know, with my adrends messures of the afternoon and a lot of John Cocktails stuff which we loved as well, and fed into Batman, and we thought, can we do a Batman? It's like a Tarot card, that's like an exploded Tarot card. So then we took the idea of that the Moon Tarot, which was trumpeteen and it's a it's about trial and initiation, it's about illusion and intoxication and madness. So we took that. So what if we do it's almost like a Taro card folded out with Batman going on their journey through all the symbolism that Tarot club and plugging the villains in and so what I think people people after things like Killing Joke and after Dark Night. They were looking for another big, cinematic kind of American Batman, and we did. We did this euro Batman and himself. But it was also it was like that because they said to me like, well, the new Batman is he doubts his missions. This is the new way we're looking at him. This is the grounded, gritty way. So I thought, let's let's talk about that. But for me, it was always this was this was a dream that Bruce Wayne would have every week maybe and he would wake up from this. It was Alice in Wonderland, and it's structured like Alice in Wonderland. It's got Alice, it's got Carol coats at either end. So the whole idea was to do something was much more kind of left brainy or you know, poetic or is it left being a right brain remember, but you know what I mean. It was like we wanted to do this euro puppet, thea to Crag Silouettes kinder version of Batman, and I think it was constantly compared to things that were much more cinematic, much more Hollywood, much more blockbuster versions of Batman, which in themselves would not love these books, but it wasn't what we were doing. And I've rarely seen it critiqued, and in that, you know, I've never seen it critiqued as what's it like the cocktail, what's it like? What are they taking from Yan Schrankmeyer here? What is it? You know, it's like it's always critiqued in the ways that it's not like killing Joke a Dark Knight.
Speaker 4: The cast of releasing a book.
Speaker 2: Massive, but people, it's weird because it's the biggest selling graphic novel ever. I mean, I still get massive royalties from that one book, which were published thirty years ago. But there was always, even in dcar reluctance to admit to its success has really talked about in those terms, which are kind of fine, fascinating. So again, you know, it's an interesting one to me. I think it's it should be looked at from a different angle, maybe because I bling it's new did a lot of great criticism over the year.
Speaker 1: It's interesting that that story has a lot of elements obviously a lot of deep symbolic elements, multi layered elements, is kind of like psychological gothic horror feel to it. How was that received at the time, and just to piggyback off what you were saying, it's interesting that you felt like, oh, this story was out of step with the kind of like cinematic intent at the time, and yet a lot of that stuff has now found its way into cinema, into Batman movies, into The Dark Knight, into the latest Batman movie. A lot of that kind of tone and molic referential nature.
Speaker 2: Yeh, I think definitely, And a lot of those filmmakers grew up with that book. I mean, and I think, I mean honestly, initially I imagined it as a very super like focused thing I've talked about before us and I imagine someone not not necessarily Brian Bolland, but Gary Leech or someone in that you know, who would super draw every detail like Dave Gibbons. Yeah, I kind of imagine that this hyper sensitive, like super every every bit of dirt is in your face. When it came out, and people, people were very you know, the reaction was that was was quite negative, I think from generally from within the comic book community and not so much from outside. But I mean, honestly, what Dave mc keen did, I mean, looking back, is that that's exactly the way the book should be. And that is why that's why filmmakers still love that book because of what Dave did. It's like he just took it to a level that I think, you know, anyone who's in the Batman comes in and that's one that's beyond all the others. That's the weird one. That's what all of you read after we got to that one, you know. And I think, honestly, all that Dave, and it says why I've gone back and I've been studying. I'm kind of loving it again because I was so anti that the negative reaction was so strong. I really was like, oh no, honestly, nothing to do with me, folks. You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when I worked in a comic bookshop in London and that was one of our perennial you've got to read this, and then it was horror comics people, and it was film people and it was super.
Speaker 2: But do you think visually, I think it really brings in. The Directors always love it, like you.
Speaker 3: Know, all the time, it's like storyboard, Yeah, but it's not.
Speaker 2: It's because it's so internalized. It's like inside that man said, it's not like well, what if he was real? You know, yeah it wasn't real. Yeah, but it wasn't What if this was Bruce Wayne's dream and all you had to do was have them going to sleep at one end and waking up that and it's like you're not allowed to really tell that story. Oh it was all a dream. But here's the story that is a stage play. It would work. It's like that is and that's why I think it draws, like you know, it draws filmmakers, particularly directors. You always hear them that's the favorite, but that's honestly, that's Dave and it's Dave's staging. He was just like, that was like getting the best director I could have hoped for because my vision for it was too small.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and something that's kind of I guess something that if I'm really interesting about that, I think I would. I'm so excited that you want to write about it more because now we have an accessibility to stuff like Spank Mayer. You know, the Jabbawaki's just on Yeah, it's just on YouTube, and a lot of people, I think they haven't seen that stuff. They haven't read Bandedestinae before. They hadn't.
Speaker 2: But also it's stuff they would love. I mean, I think all that all that stuff is like, you know, people who are into the genre movies, they're going to love the spank wild stuff. It's just it was avant garde in the eighties or the nineties, but right now, I think it's like people's imagine have been broadened by all kinds of television shows and films. Everyone's been walking up to science fiction and fantasy and horror. So I think things like that that once we're completely outsider kind of stuff would easily fit it. Like it's show these you know, spank mass Alice and all the early stuff. It's it's amazing. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Also, I mean you can watch if you have a library card, you can watch Cabinet of Doctor Caligary for free, you know, on the on the streaming services and stuff. So I think it would be really cool to I mean that book, like you said, it's like the most successful like graphic novel ever, so people can read it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Crazy, And I feel weird because I've always been defensive about it and I've stopped. I've decided no, I'm out, and that was a great thing. You know, I'm not going to be defensive anymore.
Speaker 3: I'd love to see people get to recontextualize it with that knowledge and those kind of touch points.
Speaker 2: I mean, who knows if they will, but I think they should look at it that way. It's like theater. It's like, it's not comics, it's not it's like after all, it's like, you know, it's those influences, aware of what made Afterhan Asylum, And I've never seen it kind of studied in those terms. I've always seen it compared to films, something else that was not influenced.
Speaker 1: By About a year ago, Tim Silly, the artist Tim Silly, shared a panel from your run on Batman. I think it's Batman six six six, and it's Damien, and around Damien are these text bubbles that are the television news like that he is listening. Yeah, and it's like temperatures. Temperatures rose for a record breaking one hundred and twenty third day. Quarantine receptions remain, but yeah, China epidemics which claim more than eight ten million lives will soon be under control, say Chinese health authorities. And this is two thousand and seven. And it's interesting because when people talk about your work, they often talk about this kind of far flung almost predictive quality. And at the same time, I think if you look back, you're just drawing very logical, rational lines from things that were happening at the time. How do you feel about that stuff? Now?
Speaker 2: It's just weather. It's just like seeing how the weather works, you know. Yeah, you know, as I've always said one when I talk about magic, you know, one part of magic. Back in the days of the Pharaohs, you would be considered magic if you'd worked out how the nile works, and what's how the season's work, and sometimes that fertilizes the valley and sometimes it's dry. To the pharaoh, your knowledge is magic because he's not thought on these scales. He's not studied those particular patterns. So it's just onnest. It's just a case of here's the pattern, here's what it's obviously going to play out, here's how it's played out before in history, and here's how it's likely to play it again. Because these things tend to fractal in the same ways, and this is what it's likely to be like in ten years time. So it's not hard. But like I said, magic sometimes looks like magic to people in the same way the weather looks. Weather looks like, well, how do they know what the weather's going to be in LA And yet they can tell you to the minute. They tell you the clouds will pass at twelve eight. Oh wow, the clouds just passed. So it's it's just it's just observation, you know, and seeing where the strands are going to play. And that's that's why I'm very concerned that I live four miles from NATO's number one nuclear target. Yeah, I'm in I'm in the red zone, the actual red bit wherever thing is obliterated. So yeah, think about that.
Speaker 1: It's fun.
Speaker 4: It's fun.
Speaker 3: Kind of I guess, like in the in the something that I feel like kind of combines that predictive nature and that kind of that more esoteric, but also links into like talking about how you originally imagined Arkham as this super detailed, hyper detailed thing. Let's talk about X Men, because New x Men, you know Frank's work on there. That is a book that I feel like it ended up predicting a lot, It ended up shaping how the X Men existed for decades on screen in comics. What was it like for you? You take your DC Batman like that you've done that pillar. What was it like for you to take on the X Men, who have this again, that is a mythological amount of space to play with and stories to add to. What was your kind of approach there and how did new X Men come to be?
Speaker 2: Well, it was the jok aside called off and they said, do you want to do a Spider Man at the X Men? Like spiderbout? I just have no conation, never had any canation that kind of feel nothing about Spider Man, not like the movies. But I had nothing for Spider Man. But I like team books, I like ensemble books, and I like, you know, different characters kind of clashing with one another. So I said, I'll do X Men, And then thinking about it was just like what can we do with XHn? I hate the kind of the persecuted thing, you know. I thought it was time and it seemed like time again. It's like the nostalgia, the poignancy of the past. In about two thousand, you know, everyone thought we're really doing it. Here's been ten years since the follow the Berlin Oh wow, globalization is a good one, not a bad one. You know. There was this sense like there was a potentially the twenty first century it come and then everything really changed and it's got just more and more of Bussett. But The X Men was kind of coming after the Invisibles, and the Invisibles had been very topian, and I began to see the different strands that would the utopian vision might not be you know, that might be a bit sixties, a bit you know, you were taking a lot of extacy. Of course, everything looked wonderfu so there was that sense of where where's it going to go next? And but what I did want to do, like I say, was I really saw the eyes of Greek culture so that there was going to be superhero films. Now there's going to be a retreat into almost infantilism, where culture would back off from the future because the future was suddenly scary. It was we don't want to go there anymore. It's like, oh no, it's it's dystopia. They used to be Star Trek. Now it's it's the Walking Dead. And even though there was Walking Dead, wasn't around that time. But that's that's my man. These are my two polarities, you know. And at that time, it was like, oh, let's let's not face the future. Let's let's talk about the past. So you get in music recycled. Everything was recycled, and children's comics from the sixties were being turned into blockbusters. So it was about that and I thought, well, that's the it's the idea of the Greek culture. And they had culture, the underground culture. Goss all of us who were alternative suddenly get exposed to the light, you know, and said of Clayboy bunnies, suddenly it's suicide girls. It was like the alternative was sexed up and sold and so that was annoyingly but I thought, I have to kind of reflect the fact. And in a way that means wy we poisoned them, we colonized them. So but we never knew what to do with what we've done. But yeah, they you know, it's true our food, they watch our movies, they love our characters. So we we won, but we kind of they were creepier and weird doing us, so they kind of messed up. But X Men was about, well what if they won? Because I was fed up with the persecution, the effort. I thought, what if humanity finds out tomorrow that we have an extinction gene. It's done it's like, you guys are like a cancer. It's been nature just shut you down. And the reason Homo superior exists is in order to carry this forward in the same way that you carried it for from Neanderthals, whatever your story you tell yourself is. And it became I thought, the others this potential there, because then you can create the idea of mutant culture and notion like because the idea of humans fighting mutants, I thought, it seems a bit like punching down if the mutants are just a persecuted minority. But I thought, what if they become like they're coming for you. They are your children, they are the future, and all the things you believed are abit to be overturned by these beautiful young freaks. And so it was kind of like I said, it was me talking about what was happening at the time, but it was like, so what if they suddenly you found out you are it's over? And it was because to me, that's the reality of growing older. It's like there's other people coming, move on. And so rather than the next men being like, oh, they're under the thumb, and it's the sentence, it's more they're winning that would really make the war intensify, and I thought that what gives it more drama. You know, It's like humans are now reacting to potential extinction, but we can imagine that the nice mutants will probably figure a way to save so you have this great drama. And that that was it. So I thought, I always my favorite X mem was just the whole Chris Claremont John Burns thing when I was a kid, so you know, that was the one. It was just like he was hitting every note and it was very progressive for the time. So I was looking back at that and I thought, and in the way that the Justice League was the kind of mythology it was like folk tales of larger than life figures. The X Men is is soap opera. You know, it's always about soap opera. So I thought, it's got to have evil twins. It's got to have. It's got to have the Joan Collins bitch. It's got to have, you know. It was just all I had built it like dynasty, you know, like dynasty, and that was where I thought, So it's got to be Soper was good, constantly falling out affairs and like screaming matches so yeah, so that that was where it came from, and I just built tied that. And then the weirdness of kind of almost predicting what in ninety eleven that we had that issue that is not like but you can feel it. You can feel it like I see the weather, you can feel it coming. So there was that, and then it was kind of became this post ninety eleven, you know, here is the future. How you deal with it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very interesting. I want to unpack something you said, because I find it fascinating. I think most many creators, many storytellers, would think, okay, let's start our characters at this at at a kind of low level, and then you know, in fits and starts, let's get them to finish somewhere higher. And you said something very interesting, tapping into the kind of feeling at the time, late nineties, early two thousand's, pre nine to eleven, the idea that Western capitalism is won, we won, Russians are done, Communism is done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the end of history Francis VII.
Speaker 1: The end of history, right, And so you plug into all of that and say, okay, the mutants have won. They're actually like gods that walk the earth. The celebrities, they look beautiful, they're extremely powerful, they're incredibly rich. They won, and.
Speaker 2: Then you.
Speaker 1: And then you found the drama through this and what comes after the victory was was that? How did you pitch that to Marvel or was it just and and what was their reaction to that when you said, I want to do it where they win, where you know, Joe, I want to do it where they win.
Speaker 2: No, even everyone was fine with it because they just wanted to shake the thing up. And there was you know, I had, I had the whole proposal I sent and from beginning to end, and that they changed a little bit, but not much. And the whole Zone review is right there. You know, you can read it. It's it's there. But they were fine with it. It was only afterwards. But suddenly, let's make them the League of Minority again. I just thought, well, you know, and then that scarlet, which wonder, my wife, this is the vision you're talking to this plastic monstrosity as the vision. No so, and then she just like waits Morow again, which was a weird, but it's what you can do. And that's what happens if you're living in a fictional universe you never reality and or someone could just say no more mutants and all that story potential disappears as.
Speaker 3: A creator, because I mean, I like how you're like you you accept that that's how it is. Perhaps you have such a great philosophical, kind of esoteric way of looking at these stories.
Speaker 4: But how does it feel.
Speaker 3: To you when you see that kind of thing happen? Like is it part and parcel? Is it two sides of the sword of you being able to create something incredible as someone else can take it away? But how does it feel for you, as the person who birthed those ideas along with your artistic collaborators, to kind of see them changed or erased?
Speaker 2: So honestly, it's disappointing, as you might imagine and or buy this same time, it's it's part of the parcel of the compact that has made ye where there's tons of us making this quilt, you know, and something, so it's slightly differently and I can't and it's it's not you know, I'll just look at things that I've done of other people do versions of them, and it's, oh, you don't get it. I don't get it. I'm sure they feel exactly the same because it's all it's all interpretation, So you have to remember that it's just it's like a role like I had Batman, you know, with with Dick Grayson was says, it's just a role you've got to play, you know. Being the X Men, you take on that role for a few years and you hope that your version of your portrayal of that is remembered fondly. But there will be other portrayals that seem to to you know, to kind of contradict that, like the difference between Jaquin Phoenix's Joker and you know, the other boy what's his name, I've forgotten Jardtime as well. They're all very different, and I think you just have to in long running superhero universes and continuities, you have to understand that everyone's got to take in some of the teakes. You'll go, you don't, don't we all get it. You haven't read that book. You don't understand that that game meant that when he said that, what she meant that when she was writing. So you kind of just have to. I tend not to read them afterwards because it is a bit like, you know, it's like you know, it's just seen someone else getting out of your yes, your love you go he okay, I'm wish you guys all the best.
Speaker 3: But you kind of actually lean into something that we've been talking about a lot there, which is like, we are living in an unprecedented time as people who grew up with this stuff who it wasn't or it was on the fringe, it was radical, it was subversive, and now we're living in a world where all these corporations are talking about multi verses, different versions of the same characters. Yeah, you know what, what how does that feel to you to be living in this space where people can imagine the things that you've been saying and the way that you understood it as these different characters living alongside each other. And it's kind of like, what's it like to see that become real in this kind of modern day space.
Speaker 2: Well, it's not so much it's become real as I think what you're what you're saying is it's become commodified in a way that before it was seen as as non commodifiable. But we made the multiverse commodifiable to everyone wants one, you know. But but you kind of think that through and I've always talked to the multiverse. It's like, well, corporations would love this because it's like, you know, it's like orange kit cat, coffee kit cat, k cat, it's like coking up kit cat. They love to take a basic idea and then just smear it out across a spectrum of possibilities that is quite limited, and so they love the notion of the multiverse. It's seen as I'm sure, quite a limited potential, but you can have you know, here's your red Supman's, your blue Man's, here's your here's your original cocapila, Here's They love versions of things to sell you the same rubbish over and over again. So I think the multiverse definitely appeals, but higher in a higher sense then that. I like the idea that the notion of the multiverse is becoming accepted because I always think when a concept starts to become accepted, the walls of reality becomes thin, and that concept maybe actually starts breaking through the possibilities for it being real, maybe start to be noticed. The next thing I think we'll hear is, you know, our telescopes have discovered a weird dark matter fluctuation that suggests the close by universe and that's all we can hope for. I think the fact that people are getting into it is something coming as a notion of this, this absolute fragmenting into all possibilities, which I think could be you know that my might break down a few categories when we expanded every possibility.
Speaker 1: I wanted to link back to something you mentioned earlier in the interview. You use the word hyper object to describe this kind of vast catalog of comics stories, both metaphysical and physical. Hyper Object is the word that was invented by the environmental philosopher Tim Morton to kind of describe plastic Yeah, the process speak is.
Speaker 2: A hyper object. Where there is a hyper object, is a hyper object. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I want to if you could just unpack the idea of the hyper object and what what it means to you, uh visa e comics.
Speaker 2: The hyper object is it's it's an object of physical object that's so widely distributed it's hard to see it in its entirety. So we don't necessarily recognize the fact that it's a singular thing, right, you know, so I can actually the entirety of the of the history of life is that, you know, but we're talking In the terms of comics, the DC universe is a high probject is distributed across decades. It's been added to by multiple voices and multiple generations, but it still holds its same basic shape. It's like a coral that keeps the same because there's only so much you can push it before it's the Marvel Universe or before it's it's Archie, you know. So it's a higher p object basically in that sense that I first described it as. It's distributed so widely that it's hard to see it as a singular thing.
Speaker 3: I could just talk about this kind of conceptual stuff all day. I'm like, okay, so how I just wonder how you feel like?
Speaker 4: I love the way that you.
Speaker 3: Talk about like interacting with comics and that comes through with your work in this kind of fictional space. How do you feel like, do you feel like that power of those conversations and the reality of comics still exists in the space where we have all these different movies and and there's sort of that expands the idea of them as hyper objects, Like do you feel like even if there's a commodification and there's a there's a very corporate aspect to it. Do you feel like there's a way that it's actually expanding people's understanding or people's access to these kind of stories and thoughts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, I think, And that's that's what we were saying earlier, you know, the sense that if you can sit to Avengers endgame, then you've been asked to consider like beings from another world and the center if all, you've been asked to consider the potential like crystals could somehow can you know, contain energy of a scale and substance that could all to the universe. People have been asked to accept really weird things, you know that rob but then the junior could actually survive the impact, And that's you know, it's so Yeah, as I say, I think the boundaries of imagination have been pushed much wider, and not just by by Marvel movies, but by by everything that people are consuming right across Netflix shows. And they know it's vampires, it's it's God, it's demons, monsters. It's that there's more demand for that. I mean, there's there's way less of anything, though there is a niche for it, it's way less event It's like say seventies oh two cinema. But there's a lot of stuff that was once the province of comics and of geeks and of of you know, of people arounto. Genre material is is way wider now, it's much more mainstream. So I do think that people's imaginative envelopes have been stretched, you know, but they're still there, are still fed at a limited diet of particular things. But it's it's way more than back in the day when people would have thought, what's it's a show but aliens, no way, I'm not watching it's about magic. It's about that's the people would't even have those conversations there. They would just watch it if it was cool, and it was you know, you could binge it.
Speaker 1: So much of the texture of your work and the way people respond to it is that kind of referential, predictive almost, this feeling of prophecy within the story of a world, you know, drawing these lines to a world that seems like it could exist sometime in the future, and oftentimes that seems dark or or somewhat twisted, or or almost dystopian.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: And then I think of your work of All Star Superman, which is so optimistic. What what do you what is Grant Morrison optimistic about in twenty twenty? Grant, we need something right now.
Speaker 2: That's the one optimistic, not just honestly, you see people in the inhale, you know, almost TV are still still fighting, are still standing up for whatever they are standing up for. It's like some some power within is to resist tyranny and monstrosity. But that you know, it's it's it's hard to be optimistic. And the more optimisticy are, the more people throw things in your face to prove that you shouldn't be optimistic. So I'm very guarded about it. Honestly, I've always been optimistic, even living four miles from number one target should world go free break out? I just I don't. I don't know. It's like maybe it's just me. I don't know about what about what I don't know about the best in us triumphing, about the fact that we keep writing this story because we know it's true, And when are we going to just like play it out? Why we're writing what? We don't need to write that story? You and I know there's lots of other stories, but fundamentally, the other story is doning serve us very well moving forward. So was the forward momentum and the fact that so to me think that's the kind of duty of fiction. And it's where I kind of depart from people who think that fiction should show what life is like. You know, it's like it's kind of shit. You'll kind of be end up disillusioned. You know, comics will break your heart, kid, and all of that's true, But that's not the truth because even within that, I notice that we always, we always look for something to keep going, you know, we always, we always favor magic. Nihilism is beat out by magic because at the bottom we always find meaning. We even find meaning and nothingness. So our desire to find meaning continues to make it positive, if that makes sense. And we always no matter what you do to people, what you bring them down, and they'll look for meaning, They'll keep finding a reason to tell a story, they'll keep finding something in it. And I think that ultimately is like if we could just if we can just expand that, if we could hold onto that little flame that Promethean moment and expand that, like we can make meaning with us. Magic is just making meaning. It's just like why is it not other than why you know, why can't you do that? Why you try it out with it? Why they way that person five and kill them? You know anim will live? Why don't you? And it's that's all. I'll go off and the line you know, I'm just an, I'm just a person just thinking about it.
Speaker 1: Well, hopefully that's enough. Grant Morrison, thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 2: No, thanks, that was gay as I enjoyed the conversation.
Speaker 1: That was wonderful. Thank you so much, thanks for joining us. Grant up next nerd Out and this week's nerd Out, a recurring segment where you tell us what you love and why. Sean pictures us on Final Fantasy for Free Enterprise.
Speaker 5: My name is Sean from Phoenix. My nerd out is an open world randomizer of a thirty year old video game, Final Fantasy for Free Enterprise. The original Final Fantasy four, released as Final Fantasy III on the Supernintendo in the US, was my introduction to JRPG's I was fascinated with the game as a kid, A high fantasy story of a dark knight trying to save the world and discover the hero within himself. The original game story was wild and emotional, but it's pretty linear. Members come and go it's at times, and he bounce from one mission to another. The story is about as straightforward as you can get when your story involves a giant robot and flying a whale to the moon. That's where Final Fantasy Iour Free Enterprise comes in. You start with the Airship Enterprise, which opens up the entire world. Bosses, key items, treasures, and quests are randomized, allowing for millions of options. You can hunt for the crystal you need to defeat the final boss Aromas, or you can set yourself to earn it through completing objectives. Along the way, you get to revisit the characters that made the game so compelling in the first place. The dark knight Cecil who knows that he must save himself to save the world, the spoony Barred Edward, the Twin Magic users, palam and Porum, and so many more. Free Enterprise makes quality of life improvements like the ability to toggle random encounters, but the charming sprites and art, the Spirit and Heart, and the Killer Yuimatsu's soundtrack remain. I came from the nostalgia, but I stay for the endless customization and replayability. Anytime is a great time to roll yourself a seed and give it a try. But now as a perfect time to join the community. The spring speed racing tournament, the adam And Cup, runs from early March through May. Races are broadcast on Twitch dot tv slash free Enterprise. All the information needed to get started and to join one of the most inclusive communities on the Internet is at f F four f E dot com. Thanks Jason, Thanks x ray Vision, and remember wish everyone.
Speaker 1: Thanks for submitting Sean. If you want to be featured, send your nerd out pitch to x ray at crooked dot com instructions or in the show notes up next to the Endgame. Folks were in the end Game. Now and today we are ranking our top three video game adaptations and why we love them. Rosie, are you ready?
Speaker 4: I'm definitely ready.
Speaker 1: Okay, you want to go first?
Speaker 3: Yes? My first pick is ye. Most people have probably never seen this movie, but you should go and watch it streaming on every free streaming service. It is Double Dragon.
Speaker 1: I love Dragon video game. I loved Double dragonar movie.
Speaker 3: Yes, oky but fun, one of the best, most fun and accessible video games that also spawned like every great video game like that, Like there are so many brilliant walk along, beat them Ups, and I love them. But yeah, the movie is so good. It stars Mark Dekaskos, who I love and will literally watch in any movie. He's also in the incredible Crying Freeman adaptation, which is a great manga adaptation. Alyssa Milano is in it. Scott Wolf is the is the brother of in hilarious fashion, and it's like it's one of the funnest things because now it's twenty twenty two, but the movie's from the nineties and it's set in two thousand and seven when.
Speaker 7: Like an earthquake has destroyed Los Angeles and everyone's like a post apocalyptic punk and Alisa Milano has the sickest look she's maybe ever had in her whole.
Speaker 3: Career, and it is just like it's so hokey, but I this nineties era of video games, I actually love. It's so much fun. They weren't afraid to do weird stuff. This has like, this has cool. This, this does what the Street Fighter movie doesn't, which is this actually like leans into the supernatural of it all, which I think is really really fun. And yeah, this is just this is like a great movie. Also, apparently the story was by Paul Deani, which is just why I know, like unexpected Paul Dany Batman Animated series creator like one of our favors. We talked about him a lot. So yeah, it's just it's this is a bunch of fun. This is like one of those things where I'm like, just go and watch it and you will have fun. If you think it sucks and it's badly made, you will still have fun watching it, but you might find it's like a it's like a solid B movie.
Speaker 1: Gem M I like it. My first pick will be Injustice, the comic series and the animated comic movie streaming now in HBO Max, which is an adaptation of the hit video game of the same name, YEP, which is a beat him up, fight him up video game based around the idea that Superman just flips out because he's been spoiler alert tricked into killing Slain and he goes nuts and the heroes of Earth kind of like split along certain lines and they have to stop them. It's for a comic adapted from a video game.
Speaker 3: Unbelievably good. Like everyone, it's good.
Speaker 1: It's like it shouldn't be good, but that ran.
Speaker 3: Like shout out to Tom Taylor, who was the writer who has given that unenviable task and suddenly made that one of the biggest comics in the world. Like the depth that the adaptation the video game is great. I love Nether Realm. I love Mortal Kombat, so I love the the fighting styles that they use to Injustice, and I love the evil characters. But like to then turn that into a legitimately engaging, deep story and not just adapt it to comics, but also adapt it to a movie, an animated movie.
Speaker 4: That's just that's powerful.
Speaker 1: What is your next?
Speaker 3: Okay, So my next one I actually so I'm going to stick all I'm going to go all nineties just for it, because otherwise it's hard for me because I actually like a lot of a lot of video game adaptations, even though I would argue there hasn't been like a truly magnificent like five Star. I agree with you, but I actually love a lot of them. So my next one is going to be Street Fighter. I This one goes above Double Dragon, only slightly. Also nineteen ninety four, directed by Stephen Desuza. I really love this movie. I rewatch it all the time. It's so funny, it's really silly. It doesn't lean enough into the supernatural. I think there's a it's you know, Jean claud van Dam for some the they always do this with this, the characters they choose to be the main characters. You're like, why would you do this? Like Kenna Layu first of all, the guy they cast as Ken, that is like one of my most annoying I'm still annoyed about that casting, you know, twenty years later. But like Ken and Ryu are comedy, they're comedy relief. In this movie, it makes no sense, like why would Nothing about it makes any sense, but it is like so fun raw. Julia plays m Bison and he is just unbelievable, and he he choose up all the scenery and he did the movie because people were like, why would you do this movie? It was so trash, and he did it because his kids loved Street Fighter and he wanted to do something his kids would love. And he has this like on real line where she says to him like it's him and Chanley and and she says she's asking him if he remembers when he killed her family, and he's like, you know, God, the day I graced your village was you know that was the most important day of your life. But to me it was just a Thursday or something. Jesus, it's so good and it's so fun, and you know Kylie Minoga's in it. Also there's like a there's a yeah, Kylie Minoga's in it, as Cammie I think.
Speaker 1: So it is like, what was It's been such a long time as I've seen the when I forgot what was the excuse for this split? The John Claude van dam split in this When when did he do the split?
Speaker 3: Oh? I mean it happens more than once. And also there's there's like a really famous and hilarious interview that's been doing the rounds recently with Oh yeah, and mengnaw Wehm plays Chanli, which is like unbelievable casting. Oh yeah, it's Damian Chapa who plays Ken, Like why did they do that? But Byron Man plays He's wonderful. But there's a really famous interview that's going around at the moment virally again with Stephen Desusa, the director, where he talks about how like Jean Claude was just like coke out of his mind the whole time, and when you watch the movie, like you can see it and one of my favorites. This movie is not in my top three, right the Street Fighter is, but Street Fighter Legend of chan Lee is not. But I will say that movie has an unbelievable bathroom fight scene and a very famous cocaine fueled performance by Chris Klein, so it continues the legend. But yeah, Street Fighter nineteen ninety four another movie that you'll have a lot of.
Speaker 1: I love it. I am going to pick for my second pick a recent release Arcane, Netflix's Arcane, which is the adaptation of Lore from Legal Legend. Now, this is very interesting in the sense that I've never played Legal Legends. Yep, I don't know the law at all. I don't usually like the move in a video game adaptation, right is they always give you that scene that is a wink at like the way the game is. So for instance, in the episode one of Halo, when Master Chief touches down on Madrigal and starts slogging away against the Covenant, there's a moment where like you go into his visor and you see the first person view of him aimings gun the whole thing, And if that happens in Arcane, I have no idea. I don't know. I just know that it was great and I really enjoyed it. I thought the art was amazing, the characters were really great. I just really really liked it. It looked almost too real at times like that.
Speaker 3: That's a show that I think, not only is it like a stunning show, I've never played League of Legends either, and it's but it's like the rare adaptation. This is probably actually one of those five star if we're talking about a video game adaptation, like it not only pushes the boundaries of what a video game adaptation can be, but also the format of animation. Like you said, like when you're watching it, you spend so much of the time going how did they do that? Is it rod to scope? Is it two D? Is it CG? They use so many formats, it feels like it feels a bit like the first time you see spider Us.
Speaker 1: Completely agree, it's like that there's like this hard almost like hard edged like cell shading kind.
Speaker 3: Of look different line weights, and yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: Like it's just really really cool. I love it. What's your next pick?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm absolutely really happy that you went for like legit quality ones because I'm really going for that this is the triple bill of nineties classics. So my first one and I do legitimately love this movie is Mortal Kombat, which came out in nineteen ninety five, directed by Paul Anderson, who would obviously go on to do Paul W. S. Anderson would obviously go on to do like a lot of video game adaptations, but this is my favorite. I love this Mortal Kombat movie. It's campy as hell.
Speaker 1: It's so gay.
Speaker 3: It is like so enjoyable, and I think that like Robin Show as Lou Kang is like one of the all time best castings see and the martial arts are actually really good. It doesn't it doesn't do well. It's a PG, you know, PG thirteen, Isn't that always the way? So you don't get that brutal bloodiness of the video games, which Mortal Kombat is probably my favorite video game of all time. So, but there's just something about this movie that I love. This soundtrack is full of unbelievable bangers, Like it's so good, and it has every great character you know, it has oh yeah, carry hiroy Key Togawa as a shangsung and that's such popular casting that they actually bought him back for one of the video games recently because it was like so iconic Annah. And I also, I would say I also did enjoy I think this is this was on Netflix, but I think it's on HBO Max now. And I did enjoy the new Mortal Kombat if you want a more R rated one. Also another great lu Can casting there. And yeah, I just I love Mortal Kombat. And this movie is like probably one of my most rewatched movies because it's just so much fun.
Speaker 4: What's your number one?
Speaker 1: Oh god, So this is a cheat and I don't care. I'm gonna do it. And with a caveat of this movie came out in nineteen eighty four, so it might be problematic now, and I haven't seen it since I was for a long time. I've seen it since I was a kid. But as a kid, I loved it. So if it's problematic now, apologies, all apologies. The Last Starfighter from nineteen eighty four. Now here's the thing about The Last Starfighter. It's not really a video game adaptation. It's a it's a story about a kid. It's a story about an alien, a genocidal alien war where the very very very hail Mary last option of this dying up against the wall alien civilization that's about to be wiped out is to create a video game and send it to I guess like all the inhabited planets of the galaxy, but in particular Earth, and that video game will like search for talented fighter pilots and if they are good enough, if they beat the game, that means they are skilled enough, and they will then be picked up by a Starfighter like this unique, very very last high tech, super top secret Starfighter the last hope of this alien civilization to defeat the enemies. And it was it was like it's super fun, like you know, as a kid, it was like any kind of story that was like actually, like if you get good enough at video games, it's actually really good, Like it's actually beneficial.
Speaker 4: For your life.
Speaker 1: How about if you save not even just your world, but the galaxy other planets. I was like, I'm all the way in, so the Last Starfighter, I'm I'm I thought about The Last Starfighter like a couple of weeks ago because it seemed like one of those properties that I'm like, oh, they haven't rebooted this yet, Like they haven't figured out a way to make this ten episodes of a TV show, or they haven't figured out how to just like make the movie again and release it on Disney Plus. Wow, I'm really surprised at that. So the Last Starfighter, I don't know if it's problematic again, it came out in nineteen eighty four. It might be, and I'm sorry, but the Last Starfighter that's gonna be it because I just loved it.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm gonna do I. I want to do a special mention then, because my other one, if we were doing it like movies, it would be Tron. That's like, I love the original Tron. That was such a revolutionary movie for me. So shout out to Tron. Love that weird old movie.
Speaker 1: That's it for the Endgame. Let us know what you think and use hashtag xrvia Endgame to give us your pick. Huge thanks to Grant Morrison, Rosie, thanks again for joining us. It's been a delight anything to plug plug it again, plug the comic book again.
Speaker 6: Yes, I am writing a Godzilla comic with Oliver oh No, the incredible artist who is doing the inks and the colors and the pencils and everything. I'm sure the letter will also be amazing and I will shout them out when I find out their name.
Speaker 3: That is my plug. You can find me Rosie Marks on Instagram. Also on letterbox where you can see all the bad movies that I I watched a lot of bad movies in.
Speaker 4: The hotel at Austin. So that was, Oh my god.
Speaker 3: They wish they showed die Hard or No Live Free or die Hard. They showed it like five times into and that was actually quite fun. And justin Long and Mary Elizabeth Winstead, who I love, who's also in another great video game, non video game movie, Scott Pilgrim. I also watched that Peter.
Speaker 6: Jackson King Kong movie on the morning when I was packing, and that is a wild movie.
Speaker 3: That's very problematic, and it's from.
Speaker 1: Like the Zai opening. Let me just say the opening of that movie. You're like, can we do this?
Speaker 3: Like is this okay? It happens a lot in that movie. I was like, wow, I'm I'm like, I'm surprised they haven't edited this show yet, but.
Speaker 1: Like, is this okay?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's that is wild, But Adrian Brody give him some more romantic leads. The other thing I will plug. It's not me, but it is our co host, superstar Cody Ziggler. He has a new comic coming out, Spider Punk Number by Cody Zikla. It's out April six. That's amazing. He teams up with this brilliant es called Justin Mason, this unbelievable colorist Jim Chara Lampitas who is just adds so much vibrancy, and Travis Lanham is the latter and those las like that's probably the best use of lettering I've seen in a comaic for a long time. So just good, good stuff. That's gonna be a big one.
Speaker 1: Well, folks. If you want to learn more about what we explore in each episode, check out our listeners guide to all things x Revision in the show notes or on our website. Catch the next episode not this is Legit No April Fools on April first, and again send your nerd out submissions to x ray atcrookad dot com. Also check out our videos on the own Cultured YouTube channel. Last week, Rosie did a really, really unbelievable and incredible and well worth your time video on the impact of Glynn Barley and Richmond Lewis to women that helped create a unique visual style of Batman in the Dark Knight Returns and Batman You're One and Don't Forget Star ratings wherever you get your podcast, rate us with the five star ratings on Apple Podcasts on wherever it is. X ray Vision is a Crooked Media production. The show is produced by Chris Lord and Saul Rubin. It is executive produced by myself and Sandy Gerard. Caroline Ruston and Carlton Gillespie are our consulting producers, and our editing and sound design is by Vasili's Photopoulos. Thank you to Brian Basquez for our theme music. See you next time.