Speaker 1: Welcome to the Ravens Press Pass podcast. Today is Wednesday, January twenty fourth, and the Ravens are preparing for the AFC Championship coming up on Sunday against the Kansas City Chiefs. There's a lot of attention on this game and these two teams during this week, and there was a whole bunch of media in the house. Here today is the Ravens had practice and also held some press conferences. Let's kick things off a head coach John Harbaugh.
Speaker 2: Okay, great seeing everybody. Appreciate everybody being here. I started on the week. We our first practice day. We're good meetings, We're off to a good start. We're excited about having a great day today.
Speaker 3: What question do you have.
Speaker 4: When you're going against you know, Pat homes and kind of stands out as far as like your biggest challenge when you know when you addressing kind of concerns more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pretty hard to pick one one of the biggest challenges versus Patrick Mahomes. I think it's the whole package. Everything he does, he's he's a playmaker, he runs that offense. He is the center of the offense in every way, makes all the calls organizes, him, creates, obviously plays, he's he's he's a big challenge.
Speaker 5: Coach.
Speaker 3: I know you and coach you have a long relationship.
Speaker 6: When it comes to this week and you're playing each other and so much on the line, you just cut things off ahead of time or what's it like when you're not playing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean we're both like all coaches, you're kind of wrapped up in your own team, right you're I mean, it's not like we're talking every week or anything like that. So surely not that it's no different in that sense. Just we're playing each other at this point in time with so much on the line.
Speaker 3: I mean, I bet it's I.
Speaker 7: Don't know if it's a dream, but is this something that you're looking forward to? Is it like sort of the mentor Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think it's pretty cool, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean I look back to the those years and you think about all the all the great coaches that run that staff. The staff and Andy assembled and and mentored, as you said, and taught us all so much. We were a close group of guys, and I'm kind of a staff that loved each other, you know. I see a lot of that in this staff too. You know, and you know, idn't give you all the names. I mean, Steve Spagnola is on their staff. Now, he was a big part of that. We became close friends, and Dave Tobe and Tom Melvin, but also all the other guys you know, Ron Rivera and Brad Childress and Leslie Frazier and Pat Shermer. You know, you go down the line so many amazing coaches's.
Speaker 8: Played six straight answer championship games. Has that experience be anything as far going to this name whereasus a new year, new teams, et cetera.
Speaker 3: I'm sure it's very valuable for them.
Speaker 2: I mean they've been in this situation, you know, many times and uh uh they played in this game. So I think they're a very experienced team. You know, they're a hardened team. They've been through a lot and uh and uh, I'm sure that's uh. That experience always is helpful.
Speaker 9: John, do you think the one that you guys have had to go through the number of teams that the winning teams, the playoff teams, do you think that has given you the experience your gee goal in a game like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think all those things forward you as a team and you get to this point, teams are forged. You know, they've been through a lot. You know our story, our journey is our journey, right, and it's unique. It's it's no different than human beings or individuals. You know, everybody's on their own unique path and our path is our path. And we've had you know, a lot of short weeks, a lot of quick turnarounds, a lot of tough teams. We've played a lot of physical ballgames, teams that were playing for a lot. That's been our journey this year. So that's how we've been forged for this for this moment, I'd like to the creation of the internship program back in twenty fourteen that end up bringing them Mike McDonald here and how did that come to be?
Speaker 7: What was the inspiration for that and work out as I guess as well as your hope.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's worked out.
Speaker 2: I mean it's worked out just with those guys obviously that are here on the staff now, but also a number of other guys that in gals that are here on that are still here coaching or that have gone out of places. And coach was a hugely successful idea that we had way back when we kind of came up with it together.
Speaker 3: I would say a.
Speaker 2: Lot of guys like Dan Parsons were involved and I think back to Matt Weiss was involved in that. Other coaches and then Assie and Eric were a big part of that. Scott Cohen's been a big part of that from the beginning and ah to the opportunity to give young people an opportunity, you know, and go out and try to find the very best people, the most deserving.
Speaker 3: Candidates that you could find.
Speaker 2: You know that we could uh that are working in football somewhere, so try to keep it going. We got some great young people right now in that program.
Speaker 10: With with you know, the goal of getting the Super Bowl just one game away. You know you've been in this spot before with teams, But what do you think, what would you say the biggest I guess the thing is this week to keep the mindset and the mentality like it has been all season and not you know, get too high.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the biggest thing is always the biggest thing. It's you want to go play well, you know it's it's one game. It's like the Hoosiers movie, right, I mean you have you seen that movie, Sean?
Speaker 5: You know, you know like, I.
Speaker 2: Gotta say it to our team because most of I'll bet our players haven't seen it. You know, if I gave him that reference, I mean, you know, ten feet high, you know, the free throw line is it's ten feet you know, so it's you know, one hundred yards long and fifty three and the third yards wide. The field doesn't change. The hassmarks are on the same spot. So really, our guys understand that. You know, they've understood that all year. Your focus is always going to be on just playing your best football game and all the details of going to that one play at a time. That's what my mom always says.
Speaker 3: So I'll go with that advice.
Speaker 11: Smith has to not only be like a great player himself, but kind of raise the level of teammates around him. Is that is that a quality that you all saw in him when before he made a trader?
Speaker 3: And what was that quality?
Speaker 5: Part of it?
Speaker 3: What you wanted and what reason why you Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean our scouts do a great job. I think that Joe Hortiz going back and scouting ro Quand back at Georgia. You know those are all in the you know, so you kind of you knew what kind.
Speaker 3: Of a guy you were getting for sure.
Speaker 2: Then you saw him at Chicago and how he conducted himself and how he played. But you never know until guys here exactly how it's gonna fit you, you know, in your chemistry. And it's definitely been right. You know, it's definitely been perfect fit, perfect match. He's just been himself and uh, you know he was he was always a raven. He just didn't know until he got here. I guess to quote the great Steve Smith, you know, so it's been a great fit. I think he does make everybody around them better. To your point, the greatest players tend to do that.
Speaker 12: Right when Isaiah or when Mark got hurt, you know, there were folks questioning, I've never hurt you guys a lot offensive league in the building.
Speaker 13: What were you guys expecting out of Isaiah in terms of replacing what Mark.
Speaker 12: Does for you guys?
Speaker 14: And has he met those expectations as he exceeded them?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean we said it. Then if you go back and look, I think you asked me this question back then, you know, and that's the same answer as I gave you that. You know, we expect Isaiah to step right in and play at a high level. You know, we see him in practice, we knew what he was capable of doing. And then everybody else picks up, you know, and picks up a little more right along the way. But I don't don't believe anybody's surprised by how well Isaiah's played. H And but you're happy when you see it. You know, you want to see it happen and actualize. So to see that happen has been great.
Speaker 15: When you guys drafted Lamar, you have this incredible speed, you know, still does as his body has changed, as his rolling, his offense has changed. What are the other kinds of skills that he has as a runner that have made him still, you know, among the best guys and break guys.
Speaker 13: Better fuel.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, I think anybody could probably answer that question is watch watch him play? You know, so, uh, he's hard to tackle. I mean to me, I guess the greatest compliment would be being hard to tackle. I can think back when I was a kid, I read the Woody Hayes book, and Woody Hayes talked about you could tell what a great running back look like carrying the ball, say, by how many tackles people miss trying to tackle him. I think that's true for wide receivers run after the catch. It's true for you know, quarterbacks on scrambles. I mean, Patrick Mahomes is one of the best that making tacklers missed. So Lamar's unique that way. He's one of the best I've ever seen. Obviously anybody's ever seen. So he's a tough tackle.
Speaker 3: That's your queen.
Speaker 13: And said a couple weeks ago, like some of these teams want to play basketball on grass, We're gonna.
Speaker 4: Hit who you want to hit.
Speaker 5: The emersis being on physical.
Speaker 3: Hamilton's really developed.
Speaker 15: Of a physical player when he was strap out him to talk about his length and to some extent, his physical what's impressed you about the way he plays.
Speaker 2: Physically, Well, I would say just what you're saying, But I mean, he's a physical player. You know, he's a very good tackler. That that tackle on the screen on the left side last week, where he came up and fronted up the ball carrier just squared him right up, kind of chest the chest on most and then drove him back probably epitomizes that he's just he's he's he's he's a hitter. He shows up where he where it's required to show up to make the play, and he does it. You know, he does it, you know, kind of a bad attitude, so to speak. So that's how you want to see guys play. And you know, I think we were hoping to get that. You know, you always hope to get that from all your players. And we got a lot of guys to play like that. Kyle's one of them.
Speaker 8: What's on the second half, you guys started to lean on Lamar and his legs a lot more. He's so efficient in those quarterback design one place. Is it a challenge to to kind of not call those plays maybe more often, to try to, you know, keep him up right and allow him to be more balanced.
Speaker 2: As for that, I think right now everybody's focuses and just putting the best team out there we can, the most explosive offense we can, the best plays we can really by whatever means necessary.
Speaker 3: That's what our thought is on that.
Speaker 5: Flowers was coming out.
Speaker 12: You know, if there was questions about his size, why was that not an issue for.
Speaker 5: You guys when you were a scout.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean everything is an issue. You look at everything, for sure, Jet, But with Zay, you just look at the tape. I mean we always we always believe that tape is the king. You know, if you want to, if you want to evaluate a football player, start with watching him play football. And so you watched a play football. He played. He played really good. You know, he made catches, he made people miss. And then you want to say, okay, is this going to translate? Well, how do you think this is going to translate to the NFL. That's a little more that's a little more of a you know, uh educated kind of a guess that you have to make, so to speak. But we just felt like he had all the other intangibles in terms of mindset and attitude and smart and competitive and hard worker, love football, all those kinds of things that made you feel like that amazing skill set was going to transfer. And that really was what it did.
Speaker 3: It for us.
Speaker 1: That was head coach John Harbaugh. Next up is quarterback Lamar Jackson.
Speaker 9: So, Lamar, you played a lot of football games your whole life.
Speaker 4: This year AFC Championship game, is there a different feeling for you, intreaus.
Speaker 16: Uh nah, not really, no different feeling. You know, it's a it's another game, a higher level atmosphere. Game that's about it. You know, the uh atmosphere, it's gonna be different.
Speaker 8: I know there's obviously more you wanna do, but just with so much craziness to especially this all season, to to get to this point right now where you're a game away from the super Bowl meant just what does it mean to go from maybe the uncertainty in the off season to now, you know, playing for an opportunity to go play for.
Speaker 5: It off Uh.
Speaker 16: To be honest, card that it doesn't mean anything right now. You know we still have still out there on you know, uh, the prize, you know that what we're chasing right now, So it really doesn't change nothing until til we complete the mission.
Speaker 17: May you talked about that atmosphere just just a second to me? Is that that more is you're gonna hear when you run out on?
Speaker 7: So there is that kind of or what you have in mind?
Speaker 17: And I you were drafted when you talked about reading your super Bowl to this city.
Speaker 16: Mom, because the mission isn't complete you know on once that once that mission is complete, then I'm go'a have an answer for you or right.
Speaker 7: That the young mission that's in complete, did you have to sort of balance yourself now put too much pressure on yourself in this situation, or that's the team effort, not just fund your gown.
Speaker 16: Not at all, you know, just for us to be in this situation. I I wasn't putting pressure on myself. You know, I'm going into every game the same way, same mindset. Uh, just going one player at the time, you know, you know, you know the saying one player at the time, one game at a time, and that's pretty much been that.
Speaker 3: I I don't put pressure on myself at all. Or you gonn transferred for rek On?
Speaker 11: What did he break through this team in this franchise?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 16: He run uh the Ray Ray Lewis juice back, you know, for for our generation, the grit, you know, the the everything, you know, the leadership, his poors, his aggression. You know, we we needed that from out from my linebacker, from both of 'em. You know him and Patrick be doing a wonderful job. But but Row, He's just unbelievable. You know, we we needed that, and I'm glad we got him every day. The great job.
Speaker 10: Why in either first playoff matchup fifteen quarterbacks.
Speaker 7: Under th years older or before we're at a vast.
Speaker 12: I know you're playing.
Speaker 18: Against the Chiefs defense, but everybody's gonna talk about you and pat the house.
Speaker 3: What is it.
Speaker 7: About that kind of matchup that you really like?
Speaker 10: What is it about competing.
Speaker 3: Against him that you really like?
Speaker 16: I don't like competing against him at all? Yeah, uh but yeah, I mean he's a great quarterback. Definitely hall of famer. Uh it's not even a it's a new brander. He's definitely a Hall of Famer. But I it's just I believe it's just two to two greats up and coming grades, just going toe to toe, you know, like a heavyweight fight, heavyweight matchup.
Speaker 3: That's that's just what I see a few years since you played the Chiefs.
Speaker 13: But that that last game, obviously big comeback in fourth quarter. What was the feeling like in betwe like when you were on the field. Does it add more pressure when you know that offense is gonna get the ball back and you know you gotta keep the ball away, so to speak, and keep him.
Speaker 3: From getting a chance.
Speaker 16: No, like I like I told like I told him, you know, there's no pressure at all on my shoulders or on my mind. The defense just gotta do what they've been doing all season, and we gotta do what we supposed to do. You know, put points on the board and we would have nothing to word about. You know, just everyone do their job. It's a great team, no doubt about it. You know all phases special teams, offense, defense. But if you score on points and you you stop an opposing team, we'll have a fair chance to win.
Speaker 3: And that's just what we need to do.
Speaker 8: You see this defense every day they they given every offense fits to this point.
Speaker 16: What what makes them so great is your open I believe every each and every got on our defense just hungry. You know, they got they own chip on their shoulder from whatever they've been through.
Speaker 3: You know, we don't know everyone's.
Speaker 16: Story, but I I believe our defense just we got different guys with different mindsets, but the same goal and and and that's showing out there on the field.
Speaker 3: You know how they're.
Speaker 16: Just just running over people and hitting people, you know, making creating turnos and stuff like that. Uh man, I defense just unique in their own ways.
Speaker 15: Talks about how you know a lot about the South Florida guy, he's coming out.
Speaker 4: And you trust you you kind of talked about all of those guys, when did you first hear about Jay Flowers? And why did you think he would beat such a good fit.
Speaker 16: For this off that you're I heard about Jay Flowers and youth football growing up.
Speaker 3: You know, they was always talking about the little kid number four U uh.
Speaker 5: You know, No.
Speaker 3: Seven or something like that.
Speaker 16: I always heard about Jay and you know, high school college, he was still that same guy. And when, uh, when I was like watching you know, watching him on tape and stuff like that, I'm like, man, he even though his team wasn't you know, they did they wasn't all that.
Speaker 3: I don't wanna say it like that, but it wasn't.
Speaker 16: But uh, but they made the most of it, you know, and most was his opportunities and he just showed it. You He was the same guy from you football all the way up frontil now.
Speaker 3: So I just put a bug in every was like, man, we need to go get him, you know, and he just did the rest.
Speaker 10: Mark how Mark Andrews could go on Sunday? What would it mean to you?
Speaker 3: And you mean a lot?
Speaker 16: You know, that's my like I said, bread and butter, you know, big bro, but and it it'll definitely mean a lot.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 16: We already got guys who stepped up, like likely you know, bait O, b Nelly, got Charlie, got all these guys that stepped up.
Speaker 3: But what what with.
Speaker 16: Mark and the type of guy he is, the type of you know, uh, kind of a player he is, and what he brings to the table for us, It'll definitely mean a lot for us.
Speaker 5: You know which one you know?
Speaker 3: You didn't Mark? Do you feel like he's one.
Speaker 5: To play between?
Speaker 16: That's up the Mark and coach Harball. Hopefully he will be up though, hopefully.
Speaker 10: If Andrews can go Pards likely what kind of men does that give you guys, to those guys.
Speaker 16: I don't know what dimension it brings us, you know what, what would it give us? But what those guys on the field, we'll see, h we'll see what all the time that we have around those guys as well, we'll definitely see.
Speaker 3: You know, you talk, you talk a lot this year about being locked in. Yeah, what what specify?
Speaker 12: When?
Speaker 3: What the ways have you been? Is how I think you catting.
Speaker 13: Into this season's specify that.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 16: I'll just say like small details, uh, things that I probably probably would like overshadow back, you know, years in the past, but now I'm tryna, I'm tryna think about all the small details what would help us in in every situation.
Speaker 3: That's pretty much what I mean by staying locked in and focused.
Speaker 19: Us about playing a one game where as locked as you are and.
Speaker 14: You're allowed you thought to say about that's right.
Speaker 16: Yeah, that's that's why I have to folk focused on the LC Championship and not the super Bowl, cause I did think about it, but we can't overshadow what's in front of us right now, not at all. You know, those guys are the former former super Bowl champions, and to be a champion, you gotta go through a champion.
Speaker 3: You know, so that that's pretty much the mindset.
Speaker 13: Who sort of game a lot of people before.
Speaker 14: To see you like private leagues last week on uh real flow you game or so maysic go what does it mean for you guys in the group closest support all over the world?
Speaker 3: Wand that's crazy, that's crazy, man, That's that's great to see.
Speaker 16: You know, our game is, you know, just spreading across the world like that, you know, and f have fans from the UK and that's tremendous.
Speaker 5: Hit.
Speaker 16: I would never think we'll have fans you know, uh from UK traveling and see see this game that's great.
Speaker 19: As oh NFL, cause you've ever played for Yeah, someone else who got played with man ask you what's it like playing rond What would you say if you have any theories on why he's play able to be so successful.
Speaker 16: So just donna come here, but you not tryna win if you don't wanna work. You know, that's the coach with like a military mindset. You know, he's he wants the best out of us.
Speaker 3: He wants to win. I like to win, so you know I'm gonna do whatever it's haste to win. That's what you getting out your coach.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 15: A couple of years ago, you can't train, can have have gone some muscle. Uh why is that important to you? And how do you think that has kind off? That's just the way that you can't play this game.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 16: I I just felt, uh, well, you know the years in the past, our guys, our officer line went down and stuff like that. So I I felt like I was gonna take uh more hits. I just thought at the time. So I just thought it was best for me to just put on some more weight. But Oline is doing so good. I didn't need all the weight.
Speaker 15: Either want more for if you all to be lost in the meaning you feel like you lost any speed when you can put on that that muscle.
Speaker 16: Nah, I I don't think I lost any speed. I I'll probably say I got tired a little faster.
Speaker 3: That's about it.
Speaker 12: Wow.
Speaker 13: What about your relationship with Likely has enabled to trust to build so quickly? W was it when he just came in last year's a rookie or or what's it allowed that relationship to build.
Speaker 3: Just just from seeing him working practice?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 3: It it started last year.
Speaker 16: But seeing him borking practice and seeing what he's doing versus our guys on defense. You know, we got great guys on defense all across the board. But when he making plays against guys like Kyle, like competing against Kyle Iron Schoppins Iron.
Speaker 3: You know Kyle's a great, great safety, but Iron Shoppins.
Speaker 16: Iron, and I'm saying I'm competing, you know, going back and forth, he'll win one, He'll win one. Like he's just he's just playing great football. I'm like, we got a dog Unlikely and he's showing up on film, it's showing up game day.
Speaker 1: That was quarterback Lamar Jackson. Now let's hear from a linebacker rookwand Smith rookwan.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 4: This season, you guys have played the best against the best.
Speaker 5: Why the record, right?
Speaker 4: Why do you feel this team has done this?
Speaker 20: I think we just do we're signed up to do, and that's play for each other at the end of the day, give everything we got and try to send a message play in and play out, and hey, no bigger station do that than the game coming up this week.
Speaker 14: This will be the first time you've played against Patrick for Holmes.
Speaker 3: We know how good he is, but what is studying him?
Speaker 4: What is what makes him that good?
Speaker 7: What makes him that difficult to be as the rest of the NFL's experience of last five years.
Speaker 20: Yeah, absolutely, we all know he's an elite quarterback. Does everything well I think personally, just as his ability to be able to read coverages as well as it stim plays, it stim plays with his legs and then you know, if you're not plastering being able to throw it down the fielding can hurt you that way. So he's a great quarterback.
Speaker 5: We all know that.
Speaker 3: But so are we on defense. So let's see how much how much.
Speaker 4: We're difficult with that name or gott.
Speaker 3: I think it just goes back to doing your job.
Speaker 20: And I have the aulmost respect for each and every guy to go to war Worth on the field, and I know, play in and play out, we want to dictate the game our way at the end of the day. So you know, hats off of him for everything that he does, But at the end of the day, it's about us, always and forever.
Speaker 6: Can we self scout a little bit what makes this defense so great throughout this whole season.
Speaker 20: And then playing the high I think it just goes back to excuse me, guys not being complacent, guys being consistent day in and day out, and I think it starts with the preparation throughout the week. Each and every guy look themselves in the mirror, like I try to tell each and every guy every day, and if you give everything that you got, it's not many people that can do what we can do. And I know this defense is really good and we're gonna, you know, do everything in our power to make sure we show that to the world all those lines.
Speaker 12: You know, your lads defense in the guys wins championships.
Speaker 1: The you guys is who that plays for such a high level d hey prime trying through that in today's game, that just watching an offense.
Speaker 3: Aways a passing game.
Speaker 20: Yeah, you definitely hear a lot of things about the offense and defense wins championships.
Speaker 3: And you know, each and every guy we know. You know, it's a team game at the end of the day.
Speaker 20: But if we dictate things on all terms and keep getting the ball back to lamar Hey, it's gonna be a long day for whichever other defense is out there in the field. But I have the utmost faith in every single guy, and we're gonna do everything it takes to make sure we get the job done by any means necessary.
Speaker 5: You know, you guys have.
Speaker 13: Really been known this year for really taking a part quarterbacks and the other two quarterbacks still in the playoffs beating him already does it playing against Mahomes. You also elect the graduate level course.
Speaker 20: And what you guys have done all year. No, I don't think it's a graduate level course. I think it's a It's a course that has to be done, and we're gonna get it done. That's that's the message. It's not about of this. He puts his pants on just like any any other quarterback. Yes, he's an elite quarterback, but at the end of they were an elite defense. And that's that's our job to stop the up posting offense. And that's what that's our job playing and play out and that's what we gotta.
Speaker 3: Do us and just sort of picking up his game drops.
Speaker 20: Yeah, utmost respect for Ray and you know, everything he's done for this organization and for the linebacker in general in his game and so I think the greatest ever to do it.
Speaker 3: And just being able to pick his mind mindset.
Speaker 20: And I just remember even as as a kid, well before I knew I was gonna ever play for the Ravens, being able to just watch his hype videos, watch his speeches and things like that, and it always inspired me since a little one. And you know, to be able to just have those personal conversation that takes me back in a sense. But you know, we all have a job and all the knowledge he's given me, definitely try to share it amongst the guys.
Speaker 11: When you're your teams coach, we're talking about how you're kind of me everyone around you play a little bit better.
Speaker 5: Is that for.
Speaker 3: It's natural than you.
Speaker 11: It's a leader conscious of it. What is your approach to that part of it?
Speaker 20: Honestly, I just go out and give everything that I got, lead first and foremost by example and knowing that each and every guy that wants to be great at the end of the day is not It's a resume that you have at the end of the day. And I constantly remind guys, whatever you put out there on film is gonna live forever. So if you want your kids to see you doing something years from now, hey hats off to you. But I know one day when I have kids, I want them to know that I was that guy that you know, knock your face off, and you know, do everything that it takes, play in and play out and make sure my guy's in the best place as well as I'm in the best place.
Speaker 3: And I feel like if you do that, everything else will work out for itself. I'm talking about history here.
Speaker 5: I mean in this building, you know you're talking.
Speaker 13: About red is now give the pictures of the great defensive players who were here and the big playoff games they played in. There a special buzz or feeling that you get in a week like this, again, in a big playoff game, when you just kind of consider the legacy that this team is a part of.
Speaker 20: Yeah, no, there's definitely a lot of history here for the short years that the Ravens been a part of the league since ninety six, a lot of history. But just being able to bring a championship game back to Baltimore, that's definitely huge.
Speaker 3: Don't take that lightly. Definitely with the fans.
Speaker 20: Man, the fans come in live, especially last week, so it's going to be definitely huge for those guys this week. And at the end of the day, it just goes back to each and every guy doing what we do, and that's just playing our style of ball, punishing every cat and let letting everyone know after they, you know, get hit by us, like you got hit by the Ravens and you know, send a message to hey, I don't want to play that team again.
Speaker 5: That's how we are.
Speaker 3: That's how we are, and we just want to pose our will play in and play out.
Speaker 5: We'll just drive.
Speaker 4: Check out the way he runs and the idea you post.
Speaker 9: You to have a ferocity to get together a couple of times this week.
Speaker 20: Yeah, I'm excited for the I'm excited for the matchup. Hats off to you know, I took my hat off to anybody that runs the ball hard and you bring it every single game, every single play. I love that because at the end of the day, one is gonna have to break, and I don't plan to be on the breaking in your lockers.
Speaker 4: Pretty close to Lamar, how would you use him characterized kind of his his demeanor, his attitudes since the playoffs began.
Speaker 20: Yeah, man, talking with Jack day in and day out, I just know his mindset, how excited he is about to show the world exactly who he is playing and play out, and just the way he's leading the offense and the things he's able to do with the football. And like I've always said since I've been here, I'm just grateful that I'm playing with him and not against him, because it's definitely a handful and he can beat you in so many different ways. So I'm just happy to be a part of it and happy that he's on my team.
Speaker 14: Is there a different edge you're going against.
Speaker 20: I don't think there's a different edge. I think it's an edge of defending your turf. Any any man that has a chance, you know someone's trying to come in and take something for you that you've worked your entire life for and if you need any more added substance to that, than what are you playing the game for? In my opinion, So it's about I know, mon, know this man across from me, what are you going to do to make sure we advance? And that's what I think it boils down to at the end of the day. And if you need any more hype or anything like that, like I said, you're planning for the wrong reason. Hey, I know I'm planning for the right reason. I'm trying to punish your cat every chance I get allowed. You guys, I think Mike McDonald allows us to just be ourselves at the end of the day, gives us such a unique plan, dissect offenses like it's no other like he's a mad scientist in a sense, and then you know, give it to us in a way that we understand it. And that's hats off to the entire defensive stuff from top to bottom, everybody that's on the defensive side of the ball. And I love it and being able to just hit you from any different angle. And when you have it like that, man, it's hard to complain. And everybody get there one on one. So it's about winning your one on one once you get it. That's what I think it is in a nutshell fun, when.
Speaker 10: You're one step away from the goal that you've been working your whole average, you getting superhole.
Speaker 12: How different is this from the.
Speaker 10: Keeping the element?
Speaker 3: I mean, I know one look ahead, but how different is Yeah?
Speaker 20: I think it just goes back to something is in your way, trying to before trying to stop you from getting where you want to go, and what are you gonna do about it?
Speaker 3: As a human being?
Speaker 20: Like, if something is in your way and you've been dreaming for something your entire life, busting your tail day in and day out for something, and are you gonna allow something to stop you? You're gonna give everything and your human power to make sure that that's not the case. And that's how we look at it, and I know we're gonna play that way every given place. So tune in Sunday, get your popcorn ready.
Speaker 10: For getting these animated speeches in prekat for games?
Speaker 12: Do you plan that ahead of time?
Speaker 8: What's your message to be?
Speaker 20: Honestly, I've gotten I questioned a couple of times, and I never really plan any speeches. I just go from what's on the heart, what's on the mind and what I feel like, you know, my going out through pregame, coming to the stadium, and like whatever I'm feeling mentally, and I just like express that. I don't try to make things up to like make guys feel the this way. I feel that way because at the end of the day, it's fake. I'm myself. All I know is to be myself and deliver what's on my heart instead of trying to create things that are nonsense in a sense. So I think that's why a lot of people go wrong get in this world trying to be something they're not.
Speaker 3: And I just expressed what's on my heart at the end of the day.
Speaker 1: That was linebacker rookwand Smith and next up is All Pro safety Kyle Hamilton, which.
Speaker 4: You know, you know the atmosphere it was for the division game. This is the first time the raiding is supposed to the Amcon champiship team. What do you expect the atmosphere to be like the long one side.
Speaker 18: Yeah, I think I've said it before, but at this level you can take for granted sometimes the fans and the atmosphere. You know, it's not the same around the league and come from the South, come from the SEC atmosphere, you kind of get used to that. But the Ravens atmosphere is no different from that, I'd say, And I feel like it's been turned up the whole season, but it's going to be even more loud, even more chaotic on Sunday, and I'm excited to see it.
Speaker 14: You've taken the most snaps this season in the slot. Travis Kelce has maken the most snaps this season in the slot as well. What can you say about that potential matchup between you two and and what do you see as the challenges of his game to contain?
Speaker 18: Yeah, I mean, he's a great player in our league, and he's been a great player for as long as I can remember, as long as I've been watching him at this level, and he's ere in every ounce of respect that he's gone to this point, and it's gonna be a challenge. I'm part of the plan to hopefully take him away, but it's a team effort at the same time. You know, we got to guys up front rushing the quarterback, make it unclear on my homes and then in the back end, you know it's not gonna be man.
Speaker 5: Man the whole game.
Speaker 18: We gotta have guys in the right spots, guys attached to him, that kind of stuff.
Speaker 13: I just want to go off of what Lamar was just saying, work off of Isaiah, you guys going ahead and practice what makes Isaiah likely such a tough effort?
Speaker 18: Yeah, First, his hands are just different than a lot of other guys. You know, he catches everything that's thrown to him, and he runs his route so precisely. He's very fast, honestly once he gets to where he needs to go, and he's deceptive and playing with your leverage and stuff like that. He's super smart. Obviously, we got great coaches. We got Mark in there telling him certain kind of nuances stuff like that. So I think it's only scratch the surface of what he can be in this league. And it's kind of funny. He's technically a backup, but I feel like he's top whatever you want to say, tight end our league.
Speaker 8: You guys obviously go against Lamar every day. How to go, you know, seeing him on a daily basis prepare you for the challenge of seeing the guy like Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 18: I think in terms of those two it's just about creativity and keeping a play alive at the end of the day. You know, there's guys up front who are going to do their job and do it so well that they get to you. It's just about who you have back there to keep the player alive. And you know, we got eight who's the best at in the world. And obviously Mahomes has been doing it for a long time as one brings off of it. So I think seeing that look in practice, you know, getting the plaster of our dbs when the quarterback gets out the pocket, stuff like that is really helpful for us and going to be able to apply it this week.
Speaker 7: People, last year, we're in this tuision.
Speaker 3: Chantons go through with you, champion.
Speaker 13: Is this a challenge you guys.
Speaker 5: Team situation, Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 18: I mean this is the the position we wanted to be in, and everything that we've wanted up to date is all at our control. You know, we're a game away from being where we want to be, two games away from completing the mission. But at the same time, we have to be focused on Wednesday practice, going out there having a good practice and following that up with a week of good practice. But you know, going against team like the Chiefs who's been a juggering out in the league for a while. It's it's a privilege and it's added pressure. But you know, pressure either makes diamonds or pressure bus pipes. So we're hopefully going to make diamonds out of it, right, What about.
Speaker 12: Really residently for why do you think you a kind of flying.
Speaker 18: It's a challenging scheme one, and it takes a little while to get all the kinks out of it, you know, going through OTAs, going through camp, all that stuff. There's going to be certain times where we may mess something up. But going into the season, I feel like we got all that ironed out and now we're kind of clicking on all cylinders we have so for the whole year, I think, and at the end of the day as well. It's I was just joking with one of the coaches the other day, I said, it's about Jimmy's and Joe's, not X's and O's. So obviously the plan helps us a lot going out there, but at the same time, we have a bunch of guys on our side of the ball who can go out there and make plays, and if a play breaks down, just going out there making a football player, not being.
Speaker 5: A robot at your way. I like the different just the duality of it.
Speaker 18: You know, there's, first off, we have guys up front who allows to do a bunch of stuff on the back end in terms of doing their job career. But I think the moving around everybody's doing different things. It's it doesn't make us one dimensional.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 18: We have a bunch of guys who can do a lot of different stuff and makes it hard on the offense not to know who's gonna be doing one on each snap. And I feel like everybody's doing a good job buying into.
Speaker 5: That y you talked.
Speaker 17: You talked about growing up in set country, you played at nor Dam, you know, where you get a lot of attention. But this kind of game where you know, for you, fifty million people are going to be watching, where the whole city is locked into it all week, is this sort of the kind of being the kind of skins you have in mind as a young player when you're growing up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 18: And uh it's if in anything that you do, you want to do at the highest level, and this is the highest level, and you know there's only four teams left, so it's the best of the best, and it's about what you're gonna do when the popcorns popping. So I feel like I've grown up my whole life with that Monstra. Just in the biggest moments, you gotta be your best self. And you know, big time players, big time plays, big time games, and this is the opportunity to do so.
Speaker 13: A queen had said a couple of weeks ago that you know, other keep want to play basketball on arractions.
Speaker 3: We just want to hit you. How has the kind of emphasis on being physical?
Speaker 6: How does that manifest himself from Harball might in the meeting rooms?
Speaker 4: How does that interest something physical manifest yourself tame day.
Speaker 18: Yeah, it's one thing to talk about it, and it's another thing to actually do it. And you can't just turn that switch on and off. It's got to be something that you've done throughout the whole year, throughout the whole organization. You know, it starts at the top. Like you said, we coach Harball just everything that he preaches, just physicality on both sides of the ball, special teams.
Speaker 5: It's just the way that we operate.
Speaker 18: And you know, it's like I said, it's one thing to say it, but I feel like we go out there and prove it every day and practice where it starts at, and then transitions to the game. It just gets that more intense when you know we're not going against each other and going against people who we don't see all the time and people who can actually hit. So it's I feel like they do a good job here of just drafting people who have that mindset, signing people who have that mindset, and even if you may not coming in, you kind of adapt it once you get here.
Speaker 5: There's really no choice.
Speaker 4: You see, you see Lamar in that locker room every day. How much you describe kind of his his demeanor, his mindset.
Speaker 18: Since the playoffs, I think just in the the whole year as a whole, he's I mean, I've only been here two years, but you know, I feel like there's a little something different there this year. You know, he's a big leader for us, where everybody on this team looks to him for just energy and just good vibes, and he brings out every single day and you know, no matter what's going on in the building, no matter what's going on in the game, he's gonna be the same Lamar. And I feel like He's just carried that even further into the playoffs. You know, it's it's not necessarily about being a a butthole for while you're in the playoffs and just being more mean once you get the playoffs. It's just more consistent with what you've been doing. I feel like guys respect that a lot more than I feel like that's something that he's done.
Speaker 3: Alamar. You know, players talking about when they made the jump from college.
Speaker 5: To the NFL.
Speaker 3: Just the speed of the game changes.
Speaker 15: If you kind of remember any any memories of you, you know, slot and see if you're just trying to square up the mar field on like a scramble or a design and run.
Speaker 18: Just kind of how different as Yeah, without giving him too much credit, I feel like, uh, you know, he's different. You guys see it every single game, and I see it every day in practice. And that goes back to somebody else's questions. Just getting prepared for the game. You know, we're not gonna see a lot of guys who are running out us downhill who are as shifty as him. So setting up our angles and stuff like that is helping us a lot going against the more. But there's definitely a growing growing period there coming into camp and Ota is all that stuff going against some more in the open field, but kind of get to learn his tendencies this and that. It's easier for me to say because I see it every day. It's and I see why it's hard for other guys taggling on other teams.
Speaker 17: Last You've come a long way in a short period of time from your rookie year too, being in a Pro Bowl, all pro guy.
Speaker 3: What is that quicker progression done.
Speaker 17: For your confidence in your sense of belonging among the best in the NFL.
Speaker 18: Yeah, I don't think it's really changed my confidence per se. I think it's just more reassurance, you know, because I always felt that I've had the ability to succeed at a high level no matter what level I'm at, and I try to stay the same person every single day, no matter what's going on around me. And I feel like just all these accolades and stuff are cool and going to be cool to tell the grandkids one day. But at the same time, you know, we have a bigger goal in mine and for me, like I said, it's just more reassurance and at the same time, it's just more respect for my peers, and I think that's very important as well. You know, no offense, but I could really care less what media has to say about me, what other people have to say about me outside of my family and the ones who are close to me in the building. And I feel like all that stuff, you know, it comes with a certain level of respect that the guys have for me, So I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: In the locker room today, we also heard from several players, So let's go to wide receiver or shot Bateman went into the APS Championship.
Speaker 21: Uh, you know, same as every week, just you know, continue to stay locked in and locked in on our details and you know, treated like every other week. But you know, obviously there's you know, more at stake at this game, so we just gotta go out and play a little more.
Speaker 1: Talk about how to how to beat the champions. You guys, you got to beat the champions obviously, this is a situation where the Chiefs have been previously. How does that mindset kind of drive you guys at all during this week?
Speaker 21: I mean, we all know what they're capable of, but I think at this point we know what we're capable of as well.
Speaker 5: I feel like it's more so you know about what we do, not much about what they do.
Speaker 21: We just go out and play our game like we have been and you know, hopefully we see what's the end resort after that.
Speaker 1: Does the performance the second half last week kind of give confidence a second carry over from week to week?
Speaker 21: Yeah, I think we started out slow, but you know, I think we uh picked up our pace. Uh, I mean the second half. Uh, that's how we capable. Love Lamar did a a good job of leading us in the right direction a half time. So, uh, you know, we just gotta come out and play fast, you know, accelllraating the middle in Phenishrouns.
Speaker 13: A couple of challenges Kansas City's defense present for your for your particular tiss Uh.
Speaker 21: I mean I got a good secondary. I think it's probably one of the best, uh that we face.
Speaker 5: All all season.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 21: You know it's a real, a real challenge. You know, they played physical type coverage, so you know, we gotta go out and make plays.
Speaker 10: From an offensive standpoint the way that Kansas City can put up points and you know they're always uh dangerous and you know dropped with dime mahomes.
Speaker 5: Can you know that offense can.
Speaker 3: Turn it around from an offensive standpoint from you.
Speaker 10: For you guys, I mean, how critical is it to to be on your a game and and be able to to produce like you did in that second half gainst Texas.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think we can put up points as well.
Speaker 21: They're not the only power for offense that's going to work Sunday, So I guess we'll.
Speaker 5: See what could you describe this whole environment, the story game? What do you expect from the fans this Sunday?
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 21: It's my it's my first time experience and something like this as long as I don't play this year or you know, in general, so I know the bank will be rocking like it always is, So you know, I'm excited to play in it.
Speaker 1: That was wide receiver Rashad Bateman. We also heard from cornerback Brandon Stevens.
Speaker 5: No, I mean it feels good man.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 22: You know a lot of teams which they could be in this position right now, so we definitely aren't taking it for granted. But yeah, we're just focused on this game, focused on one day at a time, you know, preparing for this game.
Speaker 10: How hard is it to stay in the present mentally. You know, even Lamar said he's thought about the super Bowl, but he's got us stay locked in on the championship game, right. I mean it's human nature to look ahead a little bit, and it's the super Bowl. How tough is it to stay in the president?
Speaker 22: Yeah obviously, Uh, you know it's hard not to to look ahead and see like, you know, what we're striving for, you know what I mean. But you just gotta you know, bring it back t you know, to reality and you know and understand that you know, this is the most important game right now, and and you know, just preparing for this game, you know, and taking taking it like I said, one day at a time, you know, f focusing up in the meetings, practice. But yeah, just just coming back to reality.
Speaker 13: We're gonna challenge you play it against Patrick Mahomes or what's what's the match up?
Speaker 3: Like, what's what feels different about kind.
Speaker 5: Of going hip, going under center and and being prepared for what he could?
Speaker 14: Uh.
Speaker 22: I mean he's a great quarterback, you know, uh, regardless if he's under center and in the gun. But you know, we like like I like I said, we just you know, come stick to the game plan. Continue to you know, watch film, prepare for these guys and you know, just just go out there on some Sunday and play our you know, play our defense when.
Speaker 5: You watch 'em on film?
Speaker 9: Though?
Speaker 5: What makes him so different than the other quarterbacks? Yeah, I mean, shoot, he he seen it all.
Speaker 22: He's in He's gonna seen every you know this guys, there is every covers, there is uh you know, can I and I think he's just he you know, you know the guys around him, you know, they they know you know what to do, uh, you know, to get open And yeah, I think I think they just uh play on one.
Speaker 15: Acort Brendon, What about like McDonald's defense to resonates with you, you can do like your concert?
Speaker 22: Yeah, I think I mean, uh couse, Mike, he you know, he puts us in the graated position every week. You know, his his game plan is you know, second to none.
Speaker 5: And uh.
Speaker 22: But yeah, we we trust him, man. Uh, you know he's gotten us this far. You know, he puts all his trust in us, and we put our uh you know, our trust in him and uh allows us to go go play on uh on Sundays.
Speaker 1: Got to touch challenge and up Kennedy. Is it going up against this Chiefs offense.
Speaker 22: Yeah, I mean, they, like I said, they they're they're a great offense. You know, they got you know, guys that can make plays on their offense. But you know, at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter what they do. It's all on you know, what we do. We you know, we just got to stick to our game plan, stick to what you know, uh, what we have to do going into the game, and you know, really just just play Ravens Ravens defense.
Speaker 10: What's it mean to get Marlon Humphrey back on the practice field?
Speaker 5: Yeah, shoo.
Speaker 22: Yeah, I mean anytime you get you know, a star player, you know, it's always a plus, you know, you know, it just adds more depth. But yeah, he's been working real hard to get back from his injury. Uh and shoot, if you know, hopefully he can go out there and you know, help us, help us on Sunday.
Speaker 10: But yeah, to be able to practice all year against the mobile quarterback like Lamar, how does that help this week against a guy like Mahomes Right, Yeah.
Speaker 22: Uh, you know, my homes he's you know, he makes his hay off of you know, uh, making a play out of no play you know and so uh, you know, just going against you know Lamar or uh or snoop. You know, it's uh, you know, just just plaster and receivers, you know what I mean, not not giving a a quarterback an easy throw with a guy just wide open.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 22: So you know, going against you know, our quarterbacks in practice, you know, through our training camp, uh mini camp.
Speaker 5: You know, it's uh, we're we're we're really just used to it.
Speaker 10: You know, were any when you figure guys losses this season, you've been vocal about it and kind of self inflected.
Speaker 3: Wounds in those games you can have.
Speaker 1: Is it in that a confidence whouster up?
Speaker 22: Really?
Speaker 19: No team has truly just come out and guys kind of an a combination with things happening the feed girlses.
Speaker 22: Like you pay Yeah, Uh, I mean honestly, we those losses don't mean anything right now, you know. Uh yeah, we're not even thinking about that, you know, but we know, you know, we know where we've given up big plays or whatnot. And I I mean the key to every every week, uh, every week every victory is you know, limit explosive and big plays. So U yeah, we eliminate that, you know, we'll be in good shape.
Speaker 3: John was very complimentary of big coverage last game.
Speaker 13: Obviously didn't let Houston inside twenty five.
Speaker 3: What the confidences that get you going into a week like this?
Speaker 5: You know, I think honestly, we're we're a confident group.
Speaker 22: Uh, you know, no matter what we did the previous week, you know, it was it was good to get back from you know, an off week, a bye week, and uh, you know, just see that we're still on the same page, still playing you know, the ball that we know how to play, and so we just need to carry down into this week, you know.
Speaker 5: Uh, you know, nothing changes, you know, we just gotta, you know, do what we do.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Ravens Press Pass podcast. We'll hear more from the players and the coaches on Thursday. On Thursday and we'll get a chance to hear from the coordinators. To stay tuned for that, make sure you head ever to the Lounge podcast feed. We do a breakdown of everything that we heard and saw at practice today and also we're going to chance to sit down with Kyle Hamilton coming up later this week. Leave a rating in a review here on this feed as well as the Lounge feed as well. Thank you for listening. We'll talk with you again tomorrow