Speaker 1: Also media. Hey everybody, Robert Evans here, and I wanted to let you know this is a compilation episode. So every episode of the week that just happened is here in one convenient and with somewhat less ads package for you to listen to in a long stretch if you want. If you've been listening to the episodes every day this week, there's going to be nothing new here for you, but you can make your own decisions.
Speaker 2: Recording in progress. Okay, check this out now. I have always been amazed by when I take a second to actually tap into like my actual network of just friends.
Speaker 3: You know, you have friends in categories.
Speaker 4: You have to say it like it's just like this, yeah, you always like you just don't really picture those things colliding or when like your friends like meet each other and turns out they know each other.
Speaker 3: It's the weirdest thing anyway for me and my like.
Speaker 2: Podcast activists, you know activism world, you know a lot of times overlast with the hip hop world because you know, we believe with a lot of same stuff. But like this one like really happened where I was just like in my own network somebody I've known for a while who I'm just now learning your name is Tristan.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, I didn't know your name was Jason. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. That's how wrap works. So introduce yourself however you want to be introduced. Yeah, you know, and then let's let's get into it.
Speaker 6: Hey, everybody, I'm a Tangent Wiggy aka Tristan Hacker. I got a lot of other names too, but I'll keep it to those for now. And I'm from sam Barnardino and I'm an artist in the community with the with propaganda as well as a state employee. I paid disability claims for the state of California. And in my role as a state employee, I am a union rep. And I'm an elected member of my union's executive board. So I represent state employees from Ontario Region, the Sam Bonardino region and in between. And I'm on the bargaining team, so I go up to second MENTO and help prepare for bargaining against Governor newsm of his team as well.
Speaker 3: Words.
Speaker 2: So this is like we're this is frontline energy, okay, which I love about it because it's like like you said, like your your day job is. In some ways it's it's so crazy because it's like as far away as that is from the actual like worker per se like you have just this parasocial, like intimate relationship with everybody that works for the state because like you seeing you know, I'm saying what they're going through and how great it is to think inside of such a hero a bureaucracy, there's somebody there that's like, no, I'm actually like fighting for y'all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I appreciate that word. So first of all, tell them what the union is.
Speaker 5: Which union were talking about?
Speaker 6: Yeah, S isn't sam e is in everybody I is an incredible you as in Union Service Employees International Union, but one thousand, right, So s EIU is one of the biggest international unions in the world. And and everyone out there has probably seen the purple purple SEIU stuff on all kinds of stuff, from nurses to state workers to in home support services workers and home care nurses.
Speaker 5: And there's a.
Speaker 6: Lot of different people that are under SEIU. More broadly, state employees in California are SEIU one thousand, So we're Local one thousand, and that's the broader union that I'm a.
Speaker 3: Part of all of Cali.
Speaker 6: Okay, you know, all all hundred thousands state employees that are represented.
Speaker 7: Damn.
Speaker 6: Okay, and but I am elected to the executive board of DLC seven O four, which is the Inland Empire, well the Ontario Samarrardino part of the Inland Empire's chapter.
Speaker 2: Where Ontario Samarandino. Okay, this is going to be very Cali specific. Like obviously this everybody here who listens ain't from here. So like I've I've cracked many LA and I E jokes and just like you know throughout throughout our time.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I like to say that I have an IE passport stamped like I have my.
Speaker 3: I worked in Pomona. See I didn't, I never lived there.
Speaker 5: Okay, but you mean what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: So my strong connection to Pomona as far as I've seen I've seen you.
Speaker 2: You absolutely That's what I mean. Like I'm a naturalized citizen. I got a green card. I got an I E Green card because like I worked at Pomona. You know, foundation was in Pomona. My condemn Lights was in Pomona. For y'all listeners, these are like the hip hop and poetry spots that I kind of grew up there because since I'm you know, born in South Central, but I'm from the six to six, so you come me coming from La Penteve Linda Pomono was just so much more closer than La Merk Park, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: So yeah, so I.
Speaker 3: Ended up just kind of like spending a lot of time there.
Speaker 2: And then for high school, I got I got busted to the Inland Empire, so I got bussed. I went to school out of district because my parents split up. It's a long story, but anyway.
Speaker 5: It happens a lot. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So that being said, like I have a lot of love for the Inland Empire and spent a lot of time there, you know what I'm saying. So that's what I was like, I got, I got a visa, I got a I E visa.
Speaker 5: Yeah absolutely, yeah.
Speaker 2: But that being said, what would you say, I mean, if it's kind of like I'm kind of springing this one on you, but like what would you say would be something that's like unique, a unique thing that someone from where you guys are at, like a service worker where you guys are at, it might be a unique issue that's specific to them that wouldn't be somewhere else.
Speaker 5: I'll do two because I feel like I need two to kind of to answer it. Well.
Speaker 6: One is that the Inland Empire in Highland, which is a city kind of a little connected city to Sam Maerdino, Highland has patent state hospital which is basically Arkham Asylum. You know, it's basically Arkham Asylum from the Batman comics, which is it's a hospital for the criminally insane. Okay, yeah, you know it's like like in other words, like you've committed crimes, but you have mental health issues. Yeah, so you're not in the regular prison, but you're not in the regular mental hospital. You are in the prison for the mental papers. And it's a massive twenty four hour facility. And I feel like, even though I work for DED doing disability claims, because I'm in a regional chapter with the past in state hospital folks, they get a lot of the attention of what the union organization does because twenty four hour facilities are very, very taxing, and they're very right for abuse and for people to go through really difficult things work. And then the second thing I would say would be the fact that where we are, we have a lot of we service a lot that maybe more of my job, right, we service a lot of undocumented people, Like a lot of the disability claims I pay for the state I paid undocumented folks. So which is one reason that the eye stuff has been hitting so close to home. And also people may now realize that California doesn't regulate about documented status the way that the federal government does. Right, so, as long as you could prove your wages to the State of California in a legit, straight paper work kind of way, we don't care that you're undocumented.
Speaker 5: We're going to pay you because you're a worker and you need our services.
Speaker 2: Facts, And like, I love that you said that, because when they talk about like how the undocumented don't pay taxes, I'm like, yes they.
Speaker 5: Do, Yes, they do, Yes, they do, Yes, they pay a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you can think of just off the head, Like obviously over the years, the negotiations, different things that have come up varied over time. We'll get to the ice raids, because that's obviously where everything got super ratchet up, ratcheted up, But like what was some of the most like I don't like, I don't know how would I phrase this where you were like, this is the most reasonable request we can ask for, Like this is just like I don't this is so I don't understand why this is so hard for y'all. Like this is incredibly I just want to like calibrate because a lot of times people here, they here to wear a union. They got all these pictures about what the things are and what this you know what I'm saying. They got all these pictures. But I'm just like, fam, you ever heard of a five day week work week? That's unions, my gi, you know what I'm saying. So like that seems very reasonable, you know what I mean. So, so if you could think of like some of the things you've had to negotiaate, what was some of the most Like this is, I don't understand why this is so hard for y'all.
Speaker 6: So have you ever heard, you ebably heard the phrase every crisis is an opportunity? Right, Yes, you've heard people say that, right. So, my union and other unions have been pushing for telework. You know, in my entire twenty years with the state, I'll be seventeen years veteran with the state as of December, right, Wow.
Speaker 5: The entire time we wanted telework.
Speaker 6: It took the quarantine crisis of twenty twenty twenty twenty one to actually get the state to agree to mass implement telework, and so that was like, that's a crisis that we made an opportunity.
Speaker 5: That's like, hey, we needed telework.
Speaker 6: So many people are also caring for their kids, are also caring for their elderly people in their home, caring for a new baby, or you know, take you know, just at the house so that contractors could come fixed their plumbing. You know. It's like like tell of work has been something that we thought was very reasonable for a long time, that it took it took until the COVID crisis for us to get telework. And we feel like we're pioneers that in a workforce way, because now there's lots of places that have telework, partly because I think the work that unions like us.
Speaker 5: Have done that's dope, man.
Speaker 2: You know, obviously coming out of the pandemic and recently like a lot of companies are like, hey, you guys can come back to the office and people are like absolutely not, Wow, Like why take it away?
Speaker 5: Are you taking away unless you got it?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, why would we do that.
Speaker 2: I know my own Like my wife, you know, she pre pandemic at the spot she was working. As she was working at a nonprofit. You know, she was like, Okay, I was touring so much, and she was just like, dude, like you want me in this office at a certain time. It's stressed on the whole family to get my daughter to school. It's you know, just breaking her neck to figure stuff out. She's like, I'm done with the stuff that can be done at a desk within an hour. She's like, I'm just I'm just scrolling the internet. Yeah, Like I'm just like like I'm trying to.
Speaker 6: Tell you you're paying for lights, you're paying for.
Speaker 5: You're paying for audi.
Speaker 2: There's no reason, like I don't have to be here, you know.
Speaker 3: And so she pushed.
Speaker 2: She was just like, you know, looked up her own rights, you know, figured it out and you know, without telling her business. She uh, she actually helped the staff unionize there, Like you know what I'm saying. She was like, look, man, it's ridiculous. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 9: You got a real one, Yeah, don't don't don't google it anyway.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so something that you had to you know, you said, you actually go to the state, you you interact with Gavin Newsom, you know, which is the whole thing. Sure we have our opinions on mister Newsom, Sure you know, and like how allied are you as an ally? Like you say, and you know if you were complicated. We can't always agree on the same things, you know what I'm saying, Like, but like that's correct. There's been there have been times where it's been like, hey, you know what, Sue.
Speaker 6: He's doing something dope, and then other times when he's not, yeah.
Speaker 3: Doing something dope. The other times it's like, bro, who are you?
Speaker 5: Yeah, right, like what is happening right now?
Speaker 2: So so obviously you know when you go up there, you're you're not interacting with him, You're interacting with his team, right.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 6: The one time I actually met him, I went to the California Democratic Party convention and shoot some twelve in San Diego, and I just went with a friend, just showed up.
Speaker 5: I was not a delegate. I was a union riff already, but I had no official role.
Speaker 6: I just showed up and walked around the San Diego Hilton, which is also where they founded San Diego Comic Con yeah, and uh.
Speaker 5: And I got to meet a lot of.
Speaker 6: Officials, including some inland ones, including some really famous people like Nancy Pelosi's daughter. But I went up to I went up to at the time Lieutenant governor knew him and basically thanked him because he had just voted against the tuition hype for the Cal States and UC.
Speaker 5: And I was and I went to cal say Samary.
Speaker 6: Know, I have my master's in poetry by MFA and poetry from Cal say Samardino. And so I was still a student at the time, and he had just voted against a tuition increase.
Speaker 5: So there's a picture of me meeting him from that from that time. That's all. That's great.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so that and he had just done something good and he and he said humble things about it when I thanked him for it. So my one personal interaction with him was good. But since then, when in the capacity of the union, I deal with his bargaining team, like my our bargaining team deals with his bargaining team Instacramento.
Speaker 2: Were okay, so give me one something that's been like that were what they were asking for. Yeah, it was like this is completely unreasonable, guys, Like what are you talking.
Speaker 6: So every three years, every three years, our state employee contract goes up, uh huh, right, And so around the two year mark, we start gearing up negotiations, you know, and the state Newsome has the power to summon us for negotiation, and we have the power to summon his.
Speaker 5: Team for negotiation.
Speaker 6: Right, So at that two year mark we start negotiating. So in twenty twenty two, we started negotiating about the twenty twenty three expiring, you know, so that by the end of twenty three we could have a new contract.
Speaker 5: When your state employee, it's difficult.
Speaker 6: It's hard to strike, right, Like, you have to have an extremely high threshold to strike. Like if you're a a a private company in you're union, it's a lot easier to strike. You guys all want to strike, you strike Like episode of the Simpsons, temer became the union. They're just like devil plan, you know, and they started striking right right with the state. Because we provide essential services to Californians in need, it is an extremely high threshold in terms of what it would take for us to legally be allowed to strike, right And Newsome and his team know that, so they could kind of like really slow walk negotiations and stop negotiating in good faith. But as long as there's like you know what, there's signs of life on the hospital tickers the negotiations, then they're stick. We're still obligated to not strike damn right. So in twenty twenty three our contract expired, Newsom was offering us one or two percent raised for the next three years, and meanwhile he was going on TV saying, oh, debate Ron DeSantis, Oh during that time, I want to help the screen Actors Guild finish their contract and the Screenwriters Guild, and I want to So it's like, well, whoa bro, where are your kids?
Speaker 5: Why are you trying to go help their kids?
Speaker 10: Yeah, you know, it.
Speaker 6: Was like, why you're not negotiating with us, but you're on TV talking about I want to help Harrison Ford and I want to help, you know, I want to help the actors get their contract. And it's like, so I had something I made a TikTok recently about how I think my lefty friends, and I'm lefty to help, of course, but like artist friends, anti establishment friends, you know, leftist friends, I think hate democrats in stupid ways, whereas there are smart ways to hate Democrats right, Like, to me, the stupid the stupid way to hate Democrats is to be like, oh, both parties are the same. I'm going to sit out and let Republicans win and hurt us worse. Right, to me, the smart way to hate on Democrats is to realize when they're doing a good thing here, they're distracting you from a bad thing here.
Speaker 5: And then they're doing a bad thing here they're distracting you. You know, it's like a good things right.
Speaker 6: So, like Newsome at times might be capitulating to Trump on something federally, but then he does something good state domestically in the state.
Speaker 5: To kind of keep his rep up. Or the reverse.
Speaker 6: Maybe he's fighting with Trump on something and that's good, but he's doing some wax shit like slow walking our contracts. Yeah, we're not Hollywood actors, right, so when our contract goes up, you didn't get the news about it, like with the Screen Actors Guild, because that's slapping your Hulu, that's stopping your Disney.
Speaker 5: Plus, you know you hear all about that.
Speaker 6: When our contract expires, you don't hear about it unless you're on disability.
Speaker 5: Unless you're on one of our programs and then.
Speaker 6: You can't go to the office because because we're understaffed or because something's going wrong with us. Right, So twenty twenty three was a pissed off time for us because he's offering us peanuts. He is offering to help everybody else. Let me help that actors, let me help the screenwriters. Let me fight Ron DeSantis. Let me go go to Washington and have federal fights. Meanwhile, we're our contract expired. And when our contract expired, there's things we lose. There's stuck things we lose, there's benefits we lose. And he just so he had us, had.
Speaker 5: Us in a bind.
Speaker 6: So I organized a work site picket at my office in San Bernardino one hundred and two degree weather.
Speaker 5: We can't strike, but we can picket.
Speaker 11: Wow.
Speaker 3: Okay, see I didn't know that.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 5: So that's part of being a union rep is like what are my tools?
Speaker 8: You know?
Speaker 5: Like what are my tools?
Speaker 6: Like you know your arsenal, know your weaponry? Right, And so I organized a picket. We had signs me and and I'm just I tear up and I think about this because I had coworkers, but I didn't think we're going to march in the heat with me.
Speaker 5: I thought it might have been me by myself. You know.
Speaker 6: I was one of only one or two union reps in my office at the time. Now we have four because I've been recruiting, you know, and I have good people in my office, you know.
Speaker 5: But at the time, I was one of the only union reps.
Speaker 6: There's people who I knew had legitis get the system about the union. I didn't expect it. But every single lunch, not just my lunch, at every lunch, we had people picketing in front of my office with signs. People were honking in support of us. Within a month or two, we got an eight percent raise on that next negotiation.
Speaker 7: Let's go, you know.
Speaker 6: And so you know, when we fight, we went. When we unite, we win, you know, like you don't. We're not fighting for nothing. And and and that was a duor die moment for me as a union organizer. Because I hadn't had many real fights yet, and I had I couldn't really point to my co workers and say, hey, we did this and got this.
Speaker 5: We did this and got this.
Speaker 6: So the fact that I got my co workers to march in one hundred two degree whether with me instead of just sitting in the air condition having lunch, and that we won that.
Speaker 5: A few weeks later, they said, you're gonna get a eight percent rais.
Speaker 6: Now that's hard, you know, Like I was like, yes, like proof of concept.
Speaker 5: I have proof of concept. I'm not just wasting my co workers time.
Speaker 6: I could tell you there's a tangible result to when we organized together.
Speaker 2: See, that's these are the type of like wins we need to hear. Yes, we've been, we've been taking them mails like yes, sir speaking to l so, y'all's y'all's s CiU one thousand.
Speaker 3: You know David ware though, right, that's his.
Speaker 12: Name, m hm.
Speaker 6: David Wareth is from one of the California s CiU branches. He's tightly connected to our union. But he's not one.
Speaker 5: He's not one thousand, okay where, but he is CiU so he is part of us.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So when Ice, you know, invaded our streets, yes, he was outside, you know, doing what he had to do. I know SCIU set up the thing at Alvera Street. Yeah, they set up a location there for like to educate. It was just such a beautiful thing. But the first thing that got me out. The house was the rally for when he was detained, So like, man, tell me what was going on, and as much as you can behind closed doors. So most of the listeners here know this story because this show is like pretty tapped in.
Speaker 6: But yeah, right, So what I would say is this to me an opportunity to talk about like the cultural differences with Inland and la right, because the Union is very progressive, right, but the Inland is a much more conservative area, right. And compared to Los Angeles, compared to San Francisco, compared to you know, it's not as big of a city.
Speaker 5: It's more impoverished.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, there's a lot of you know, even just the geography of it, right, people grew up in the city, like my mom grew up aroundhere.
Speaker 5: You're trying about day and a monthday.
Speaker 6: I was born in a Monthay, But there was a suburban exodus in the late eighties of like people who wanted to go from that east of late six to six area to raise their kids in the Inland because that was the more conservative suburbs.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 6: So for me, every time something like that happens with something like a David Watar or something in one of the bigger cities happens, and we're fighting with the right wing about things. It's a matter of me educating my inland people about why we care.
Speaker 5: And while we're all come okay, you know, and then there's.
Speaker 6: Always some people and I got to respect us as a union organizer. I really have to be able to talk with my more conservative members because there are people in the union that are not super progressive warriors like me. They're just workers who want to be represented.
Speaker 13: Right.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, that's actually a good point to hammer down because like last year, one of the shows on our network covered a union strike at a I want to say, it was like a metal plant in Alabama, like in the sticks of Alabama.
Speaker 3: These are good old boys from the South.
Speaker 2: But one thing we can agree on me is like pay me what I'm worth, Like YO say, Like, it just.
Speaker 3: Seems pretty simple to me.
Speaker 2: I don't understand how you've got to be a progressive to want to be paid what you worth, you know, So, sir, so, I think that that's a good point to say that, Like, even in a rather conservative place, all of us want to go home and eat, you know, and earn the wages that I that I should be pay me what I'm worth. It just it seemed that simple, exactly.
Speaker 6: And so so that's a tension that happens, right, and this is kind this is probably a discussion that happens among a lot of progressive groups in general. That like, there's people who want you to focus on your on your issue, but there's also people who recognize that we're part of an interconnected society where it's like if the immigrants are being harmed, then the laborers are being harmed, if the artists are being harmed, then the nurses are being harmed, if the teachers, you know.
Speaker 5: So there's always that divide.
Speaker 6: But in the Inland, which is a more conservative area, there's especially that divide between people who are like, I don't want my union fighting about immigration and ice. I don't want my union fighting about the environment. Wow, I don't want the union fighting about LGBT. I just want the union to fight for my rais. I want the union to fight for my telework and that's all I want them to do. Right, So that's a that's a big thing for me, is to kind of exlain to people how no, given where the fighting for immigrant rights is him fighting for you as a worker, okay, you know, because if they came for then they could come for you, you know.
Speaker 5: So that's kind of how I see that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, did you feel like it landed?
Speaker 5: Well, it always does with some and it doesn't with some. You know, I'll be honest with you.
Speaker 6: There are people who just left the union after the Charlie Kirk killing.
Speaker 5: Oh wow.
Speaker 6: In my opinion, they're going to really weird logic jumps when they're like, well, the union endors Kamala, and Kamala has supporters that are happy about Charlie Kirk dines in the union.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm like, uh so you don't want that raise.
Speaker 3: You really ran string in that joint.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: That is definitely the all way sunny in Philadelphia meme of just you like tieing these strings together like brouh.
Speaker 3: I don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 5: Yeah, right, And so, to be honest, there's been some of that.
Speaker 6: You know, I'll say this that Charlie Kirk gave us more of that than that immigration stuff. But there's always those few whispers from a few people who are like they're just not down with the broader cause.
Speaker 5: Those of us who are in the leadership of the union.
Speaker 6: I think we have solidarity, you know, we have solidarity not just with other states workers, but with anyone who's in any SAU Yeah, with Team Stirts, for anyone who's in any union, and with Californians, anyone who is somebody who is in.
Speaker 5: A vulnerable group, you know.
Speaker 6: And so there's just always that difference of opinion. I would say, over let's say sixty percent hits in a good way and in my area, because it's so conservative, let's say forty percent.
Speaker 5: It doesn't, you know in some way you work on. That's interesting.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: My last two questions would be this, like I'll give them both, Like, so, what are y'all currently kind of like pushing for. I'm assuming it has a lot to do with immigration and ice rays and stuff, but also in what ways can we as just a broader community help Well, how.
Speaker 5: Do I put this?
Speaker 6: So I work in downtown samur Dino, Okay, and my disability office is next to the Mexican Consulate.
Speaker 7: Let's go.
Speaker 2: First of all, we need to paint a picture of Sam Bernardino. I really feel like, yeah, for those that don't know California, the nature of what Sam Bernardino is is a part of this story that you might be missing? First of all, like, Okay, all that you pictured, everything that everybody else pictures around what you thought Compton was in the nineties, all the pictures.
Speaker 3: That you think.
Speaker 2: YO said that, you go, oh, it's really Sam Bernardino, Like YO say, yeah, So, I mean, I'm trying to say this in a way that's a descriptive and not derogatory, because obviously, like it's always KLi love for me and you know, I'll of course, but there is a certain there's a certain part of Sam Bernardino that feels like like just a spirit of like we just gave up the walking dead, the walking Deat's exactly it. It feels like a zombie land, like just this dark I remember the Carousel mall, like you walk by that mall.
Speaker 5: It's eerie.
Speaker 2: It just feels like when people talk about the Forgotten Man, the Forgotten America.
Speaker 3: I'm like San Bernardino, like, yes, Winne gave up on.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: It has recently gone from two hundred and thirty thousand people to only two hundred thousand people. But also probably because a lot of people that left were the most impoverised people. Our poverty rate went from let's say, in the post Bush Too recession, like twenty ten, we had a thirty percent poverty rate. We were the most impopulous city in the state. We've gotten down to like seventeen percent poverty, which is still bad. Yeah, you know, that's still almost one one out of five people. What was It's very diverse, I mean, and someone who pays anention in the politics, it has all the problems exactly like you said, all the problems that people talk about when they say the important problems. It's post industrial. There's gun violence, it's diverse, there's poverty. You know, there's environmental issues because it's such a warehouse empire. Yeah, because it's such a you know, area of freight and warehouses.
Speaker 5: It's like the air quality is some of the worst in the state. Yeah, you know, we we have real problems. You know, we got real problems.
Speaker 6: And in downtown downtown smer do you know, is a lot of where the problems are. We want to get it, like downtown Redlands and downtown Riverside and some of the other NICs of downtowns.
Speaker 5: But it's just not there yet.
Speaker 6: And there are people absolutely working on that and like there are a couple of alleyways in the city that sounds so it sounds so humble, But we have a couple of alleyways in the city that got five hundred thousand dollars grants recently to kind of make them an ARC's alleyway to kind of look like something more like the Claremont Village.
Speaker 3: Let's go, you know.
Speaker 5: And so yeah, you know, and so we are always working on it.
Speaker 6: And I will always you know, as somebody who founded co founded the Inland Empire Music Award Show and other platforms that I put on not just my art, but I helped put on other artists in the Inland. I will always tell you about the amazing tacology could get in my city, the amazing small businesses you could support my city, the amazing art community, yeah, put on by by my ogs like Judah one of Pomona, like Noah James of the Inland and Lisa j and many.
Speaker 5: Others you know who helped build a really.
Speaker 6: Beautiful ecosystem like there's there's please come to summer, you know and hit me up and I'll take you to save beautiful sports of it, you know.
Speaker 5: But yes, it's it's rough to your point.
Speaker 3: I know, I want you to get to the next thing.
Speaker 2: But to your point, that was the same as that picture of content to where it's like yes, like in the sense that like we know it's dangerous, we know there's poverty, we know there's that, but there's beauty here, dope stuff you know, and let me come like and again like just the hood rules where it's like, well you and me like, oh, you're good.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying, Like, you know.
Speaker 2: And some of them may yeah, like we can, we can definitely shine lights. Like I said, Like, you know, I've talked about Noah James on this show.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying. I've talked about Judo one.
Speaker 2: You know that I talked about since here C four like the people that like I came, I came up with, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Inland Empire.
Speaker 2: A lot of the stuff that the nation attributes to LA is really ie.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying, Yes, sir, And we know, like we know because they're not lying about it.
Speaker 2: We know that matter of fact, nobody has pride about I he got pride boy.
Speaker 5: Like they're like no, no, no, no, we are to Inland.
Speaker 3: And I love that about y'all.
Speaker 5: Anyway, I'm wearing my Jaden Daniels check it out.
Speaker 3: Yup, yup, yop yup.
Speaker 5: You know, yeah, because the I he got a hide, I gotta hides.
Speaker 2: So yeah, okay, So anyway, so your office is next to the Mexican Consulate.
Speaker 6: Mexican Consulate, right, and so I've actually spent my you know, I've been at this office in Samuray, you know, since twenty fourteen, and five years before that I worked in the Riverside office.
Speaker 5: But I've been in my office in Chemuary No.
Speaker 6: Twenty fourteen, and I have gone to so many I've infiltrated so many right wing protests that are in front of the Mexican Consulate.
Speaker 5: Yes, and like and like, so I'll go hang out with them. They're like, oh, what do you guys, what are you guys doing?
Speaker 6: And then I'll like take their markers, I'll take their posters and I'll just kind.
Speaker 5: Of be like, oh, yeah, maybe you have a point there.
Speaker 6: And then I'm like I'm in my office and then my secretary is, you know, the secretary of my office.
Speaker 5: Is like, oh, where did you get these markers? Loot.
Speaker 6: I got you some mark because it's you know, and so I'll infiltrate right wing protests. But but on the flip side, lately, you know, Ice knows they could come to my corner. And my corner in downtown has the Chase Bank, the Wells Fargo Bank, the Mexican Consulate, the Disability Office, the old city Hall building, like it's like the hub. It's one of the downtown hubs of the city. And Ice has been coming in snatching people up in front.
Speaker 5: Of my office. It happened.
Speaker 6: It's happened twice at least in the last month. And one of the days that it happened, I was in the office. I called my congressman, I called the mayor. I got all the local authorities involved. By the end of the day, the horse mounted unit of my city's police was like patrolling to make sure Ice wasn't messing with us. And tell you, homie, what a weird place this is. I've never been so happy to see the regular cops right right right.
Speaker 12: You know what is this?
Speaker 14: What is this?
Speaker 7: Timeline?
Speaker 12: Are you doing to me? What are you doing to me?
Speaker 6: We're like, I'm I'm in seven eleven six in the morning, getting my getting my coffee, and I see regular cops. I'm like, thank you sir for at least showing a warrant. Yeah, yeah, exact, rest me, yeah exactly, you know, because Ice is doing none of that. None of that. They're not doing warrants to do it. They took I want to cry.
Speaker 5: They did.
Speaker 6: They pushed a wife out of the way. She's like, what are you doing. They took the husband, tossed him in the band and drove off. It all happened so fast that no one was able to film it. Damn you No, in this era, no one was able to film it.
Speaker 5: And they know that. How that they're doing it that fast.
Speaker 3: That's the trick. Yeah, that's the trick. That's what we've been telling.
Speaker 2: Like a lot of people have asked me, just friends from out of town, like dude, has it has it toned down? And I was like, no, it just went underground. It's like they just they're a lot more sneaky now, Like it's not this big.
Speaker 3: Display of power.
Speaker 2: It's more the sniper guerrilla warfare to where like you said, you just getting your gas, I usally how your pumping gas? And then somebody just and it's so fast I can't film it, you know what I'm saying. Yes, And the hard part for me is like is to your point to where it's like since you know, identifying yourself, like you might not even be an ice agent.
Speaker 5: And that's a thing that happened.
Speaker 6: That's the thing that there are people who impersonate law enforcement officers and go harassed people just on a racist basis. Yeah, you know, and and and it's arguable that the Trump administration is empowering people like that.
Speaker 5: M man. Yeah, so so yeah, it absolutely is happening.
Speaker 6: To be honest, my union, Uh, we're going to always support the actions that are fighting back against it. But the but the only things that we really have jurisdiction to actually fight.
Speaker 5: H is the labor related word, you know.
Speaker 6: And so you know, we we actually just got telework extended in exchange for delaying our rais you know, because the states really broke right now for a lot of reasons. Yeah, we delayed for two years a raise that we were about to get in July, so there were already a couple of months past not having that raise. But in exchange, we got our telework agreement extended for two years. So what I would tell people who want to get involved is like, if you are in a workplace that has a union, get involved, you know, or if you had someone in your life like me who does union stuff outside of work, next time they invite you to a phone bank, or next time they invite you to an event, go support because we're absolutely we were at the No Kings protest, we were at the anti Ice protest like like like, we're in the unofficial capacity, we're we're gonna do all those kind of things to.
Speaker 5: Support the broader community. And even though it's my union.
Speaker 6: For example, on Wednesdays we have a lot of our meetings, we're doing a phone banking for Prop fifty right, which is the whole redistrict, which gives us the power to take some seats away from the Republicans. I know there's a lot of there's a debate to be had there, but ultimately it's us trying to take keep some power away from the right wing. And you don't have to be in my union to go to those phone banks if you want a phone bank to help Prop fifty pass so we could take some Republican seats away from the federal House representatives.
Speaker 5: Hit me up.
Speaker 6: Hit up anybody you know in the Inland Empire chapter of SEIU, and we can bring you to a phone bank in Ontario and we'll get pizza or barbecue or whatever, and we.
Speaker 5: Could phone bank against these dang Republicans. Yeah, man, Man Tangent, I appreciate this, man, I appreciate you.
Speaker 14: Man.
Speaker 6: I've wanted to have wanted you to have me on I. I love your show and I love you man. I think you're such a cool dude.
Speaker 5: I think wise.
Speaker 6: I think that you're engaging in the community in a cool way. You're an artists I respect a lot, and not just me. I mean people friends like Sincere, like explain to me why you're significant to them and why you're an influence and.
Speaker 5: Stuff like that. So I appreciate even being on your radar. Brother, Man, stop it, stop it some more.
Speaker 3: I'm just kidding. My wife says that, okay, so perfect.
Speaker 2: Well, then tell us how people need to hear your music, how they can get in touch with you, how they can follow you.
Speaker 3: Give me all the links.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, yeah yeah, So T A n J I n T is Tangent.
Speaker 6: You know you can find me on everything on Twitter, Instagram, you know Facebook, what was it The Inland Empire Music Award show that I'm a co director and co founder of. Is that it's only Empire dot com. That's its only Empire dot com. And also I want to encourage Inland Empire artists. You know, you still have from now to the end of September to submit to the award show.
Speaker 5: And we've been doing it for three years. We partner with nonprofits and businesses.
Speaker 6: We throw a dope ass it's pretty gala, you know, award show at a little art center in downtown sammer Deane with the Garcia Center for the Arts. Or We give away real trophies and real awards and we have red carpet media and performances. It's like it's like the Grammys for the Inland Empire. So you know, please get involved in It's only Empire dot com. That's only Empire now. Famli Likely is my group with Diesel. We got a new album out that's like scam likely on your phone, but fam Likely because it's likely that your family's hitting you up.
Speaker 5: Fam Likely. West Coast Avengers is.
Speaker 6: My first group, the more nerd core Inland Empire stuff, and we got an album that came out just under a year ago.
Speaker 5: Now the Harvest. So I'm everywhere. You can catch everything all over the place. Yeah, yeah, tangent.
Speaker 2: Wiggle, thank you so much, my brother, Hey, thank you man much love.
Speaker 12: Welcome in to that and here a podcast about why everything feels absolutely awful and also deeply unhinged. I'm your host Vi A long and oh boy, thing feel bad. I don't know. This is my bost This is my most Robert a while with me to talk about why everything sort of feels like this and the disconnect between the fact that like everyone actually hates Trump and the way that's being not covered and reflected in everything that you interact with. Is Vicky Ostrowell, who is a writer and editor at the collective journal Call You were of many things agitated.
Speaker 15: I'm very busy, I.
Speaker 12: Think it says bricklayer.
Speaker 15: That's right.
Speaker 12: Yeah, who also has a new book called The Extended Universe out April fourteenth next year that is about the way that Disney sort of took over the world through the deployment, expansion and usage of the violence of the copyright regime, a thing that is suddenly very relevant again in our weird Jimmy Kimmel hours, So we'll be talking some more about that and about Disney's long history of fascist bullshit towards the end.
Speaker 15: Of the Yeah.
Speaker 16: Yeah, well it's it's it's a pleasure to be hearing me at thanks, and yeah, we are all Jimmy's Kimmel, you know, in this moment, I think, oh.
Speaker 12: God, oh no, Jimmy's Kimble.
Speaker 15: Oh that's that.
Speaker 12: Okay. So I think that the place I wanted to start is with this like question of like, why does it feel like this? Yeah, And I think part of the reason it feels like that is that Trump's approval rating is really low, Like people don't actually like him. It's like forty one's reading is forty one percent. It's down like a point in September, even with all the Charlie Kirk stuff, it's still down. His most popular policy is immigration policy, which is terrifying, But his most popular policy is pulling at forty two percent, So no one actually likes him or anything that he does, right, and like forty one percent is still like a lot of people, but it's not the majority of the country, notably, like biol math works.
Speaker 15: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 12: Yeah, There's been a few things I think are interesting about this. There there are signs that this is actually really really there's something substantive happening here. One of them was a special election that I think people have paid attention to for about two days and then forgot about, which was a special election in Iowa which prevented the GOP from getting a two third supermajority in the state legislature. And the Democrats somehow, miraculously, even though the Democrats are hideously unpopular, they won a special election in a district in western Iowa that was plus eleven for Trump this year. And this is not like a like this is a district that is like just Sioux City or something, or like you know, this is a this is a jerrymandered ass district that is like a little bit of Sioux City and then stretched out all the way into a bunch of rural areas like tofuse the vote. They won this district by eleven like last year, they lost this election by eleven points in Western Iowa.
Speaker 15: Yeah, unhinged.
Speaker 12: They're doing like all elections like this like that. It's it's being ridiculous. Like again this this is like this is again like voting for people who are like not popular, but it's like literally any alternative people are like, holy shit. Western Iowa is like nah fuck this, this fucking sucks ass.
Speaker 15: Like it's yeah.
Speaker 16: A thing that you know, I've been following a bit is that farmers are freaking out. Yeah, soybean soybean crops and corn crops are gonna be rotting in the fields. You know, I think soybeans, so soy in particular, something like fifty percent of the US soy crop is traditionally export. And by traditionally I mean every year exported to China. This year China is not buying any American soybeans yep. So literally half of the market is going to die. And I don't know, you know, people sometimes these numbers don't don't really do justice. If half of an economy collapses, that's the whole economy collapsing. That's not that's not like oh yeah, they just like took you know, a haircut, Like that's massive.
Speaker 12: Yeah. American farmers are like the most bailed out class of people who are not like major corporations in the entire world, and it's not working. Like they keep being like, oh it's okay, we'll just like give you a bunch of money, and it's not enough because China has decided not to buy any of this, so I mean crop. But it's like okay, yeah, And this is something we talked about like at the beginning of the administration, which is that like this administration has been going through and systematically alienating every single part of the coalition. Yeah, they're pissing off like the farmers, they're pissing off like the major pharmaceutical companies, they're pissing off the military. They're pissing off a whole bunch of the parts of government bureaucracy. Like they've kind of stripped the FBI to the bones over like comey stuff that they're still mad about. And then the guy they put in charge of it is just like completely incompetence, and it's like, Okay, there's only so long you can sort of go like systematically alienating every party of your coalition, just like basically attempting to drop a bomb on the economy every single week, and sometimes it drops and sometimes it doesn't.
Speaker 15: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 16: I think there's actually an interesting sort of parallel here with tech stocks and with like the economy in general that has been sort of you know, on the ground for most of us has felt like it's been in recession since twenty twenty. Yeah, right, you know of different sizes and localities, but it's felt bad for a while.
Speaker 15: Now it's really bad.
Speaker 16: No one can get a job, yep, right, Like things are really like, prices are going.
Speaker 15: Up, up up.
Speaker 16: Everyone feels bad, and yet the stock market is still achieving highs. And I think there's sort of a generalized equivalent strategy of like make it look like things are normal and good, and like that will actually just support things materially, and like, yep, I mean maybe it will forever.
Speaker 15: Maybe the bottom will never fall out. I don't know. I don't think that's I think that's not bad bad, but like, okay.
Speaker 12: Yeah, well but and I think the interesting part of this too is if you look at what's going on with the economy, and it's also word noting, right, Like, the economy nominally in sort of econometric terms, looks fine. They're not fine, but it looks sort of okay, right, the stock market is still growing. There's technically like economic growth. But comma, we both saw this chart a couple of weeks ago. That is the most unhinged thing I've ever seen in my entire life, which is there is a GDP chart by a JP Morgan analyst which shows that tech in the last year roughly and like in the last sort of like short and window, it's been thirty five to forty five percent of all US GDP growth. Yeah, and what I say tech, by the way, like to be clear about this, it is technically a composite of like all sector, right, but like it's basically just the like the top like the five big tech companies, right, yep, it's like Apple, its Microsoft, but pasifically. And this is the one that's like unhinged right now, is that like the most valuable company in the world is in video, a company that makes graphics cards yep, yep. And this is all because this is all of his GDP growth quote unquote is AI boom stuff? Right, it's like massive fix capital investments. Sure, it's like, yeah, there's like incredible fixed appal investments, but the fixed capital investments are just We're building a diesel powered AI data center somewhere in Tennessee that is going to poison the entire population for no benefit. Yeah, And it's like all of these companies like have gone just completely totally all in on AI A think that doesn't make anybody, can't make anybody instructurally will not make any money. And this is like a third like the growth of the economy.
Speaker 16: We are actually living through the famous old tweet the drill Is it drill about the candles? Someone out fixed my economy living in the candles street. The whole economy is candles.
Speaker 15: Yeah.
Speaker 12: Yeah, And this is thing that our colleague at this run argues that there's just there is not enough money in the world to just continuously bail these companies out. Yeah, Like there just isn't right the cash flow of these companies. It's like they've managed to achieve a cash flow rate that like can't be replaced by government contracts, which is just unbelievable. And I think this is one of the disconnect things, right because like it's interesting You're starting to see a little bit of stuff crop up from like local level politicians where offy once in a while you get them to be like, oh yeah, no, it is like a recession economy, like on the ground in like Wisconsin. But I feel like in the media and this is one of the things that I think makes everything insane. It's not being treated that way.
Speaker 16: Yeah no, and I think you know you you went exactly where you know, hitked about going, but we're gonna go. Which is that like part of what is so crazy making about this current moment is precisely that disconnect between sort of the on the ground experience that everyone's been having for years now. But it is like especially intense and like the fact that like AI is very obviously not interesting or good and no one likes it, and like even that people who sort of are I think mostly in good faith like trying to take it seriously, and who are like, yeah, it's going to change everything, Like you know, like normally people in work stuff, like they don't really use it very much, or if they do use it, like it's not effective. There wasn't a campaign to force everyone to buy smartphones when the iPhone happened, everyone wanted one because it was like obvious what it did for you. Now you know, they're obviously whatever's this is not a defense of the smartphone, but like there is this broad recognition that that is nonsense, right, that like the AI economy is nonsense, that like the economy that everyone says is doing fine, feels bad. And this has been going on since you know, Biden campaigned on you know, oh it's just a vibe session. The you know, the economy is fine, and like the economy wasn't fine.
Speaker 17: No.
Speaker 16: One of the charts I really am obsessed with is a chart from like Bloomberg, which is like a small business owner confidence from like twenty ten to twenty twenty five, and like if you look like from twenty sixteen to twenty twenty, which is the first Trump term, it goes up like five hundred percent, right.
Speaker 12: She's just goes up.
Speaker 15: It just just as huge.
Speaker 16: It's the highest that's been by huge margin, and it just drops again in twenty twenty. So it finally made me understand why so many Libs were like so committed to the vibe session analysis, because there was a massive vibe inflation under the first Trump administration. So the reason people felt like the economy was good was because small business owners. And this is the classic analysis of fascists, right, the petty bergs, Wow, the small business Yeah, they were like, these are the best times you've ever lived through, based on no evidence. And if you work for a business and your boss is like things are booming, We're doing great.
Speaker 15: You know, if you don't run the numbers, you're likely to believe it.
Speaker 16: You know, like if if everyone around you is saying that, like, there's no reason to doubt it, unless I mean, you know, you don't you don't really believe your boss at the time, but you know what I'm saying, Like it just has it has an effect of making everyone feel.
Speaker 15: Like things are better.
Speaker 16: That chart started to creep up again after Trump's election November twenty twenty four, before Liberation Day, but on the announcement of the Liberation Day, traffs tanks.
Speaker 15: So that's gone.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's gone. Yeah. And I think that's a really vital sort of component of what's happening. Is like, you know, we talk a lot about how so there's sort of these like self contained like reality tunnels that people are gone down. But it's also really diffused by class. Yes, yes, And this ties back to the AI stuff for example, where it's like, if you are in the tech sector, AI is kind of useful because the one thing you can sort of kind of do decently well is programmed, right, and you're and if you are in this sort of like world which is again, enormous portions of all of the economic growth right that is happening is coming out of these places, and it's like, oh, this really does look like like the future is here. If you've you suddenly have this machine that can do your job for you. And it's like, well, maybe coding, which wasn't that hard to begin with, maybe, but like you know, like guys, I say this as someone who learned to code and hated it, but like, you know, but like it creates these sort of like self reinforced like reality tunnels. But every the thing about the reality tunnels is like every once in a while, like the actual world comes in like a giant fucking arrow and punctures it. And that's what happened to those all business people was they were like, oh shit, what do you mean they got rid of the deminimist sicccession? What do you mean they're putting all these tariffs up? What do you mean They're like just straight up taking a sledgehammer to the entire logistic system that have been Like that's the basis of like most America's all businesses are like are shipping businesses right like or they're either either directly shipping businesses or they rely on on cheap imports from a whole bunch of different countries. This even goes into like the grift economy, right, Like massive portions of the grift economy are just like yeah, like drop shifting.
Speaker 16: Grift bulls, supplements, stacks, Yeah exactly, Yeah, Like you know, it's another reality Tonnel mea.
Speaker 12: Oh these products and services, dammit, that was a better one than I was. I was gonna do. You know what else is a scam, But these products and services that support this podcast. We are so back. We have never been more back. I want to kind of also talk about what's been happening structurally with the media as this has been going on, which is that Trump and his party has staged a pretty successful takeover of a lot of it. You know, you had, I mean Elon Musk obviously buying X but like they're in the process of taking over CBS basically by using the fact that quote unquote free media is actually capitalist media, and you can just buy them out and bully them by threatening them with losing money. You can, in fact just completely get them to fall in line or have your own which backers just buy it. And I think this is refueling the disconnect right where there was also this this post twenty twenty, all of like this. The senior management level of all of the newspapers kind of lost their minds in twenty twenty because their staff was like, no, we don't want to print Tom Cotton calling for the US Army to be deployed against protesters, and these people were like, Okay, fuck it, We're we're like, you know, you see as like the Washington Post, they were like, yeah, we will literally rather burn the Post than have that happened again. And the Post obviously is like under the control of Jeff Bezos. She was a style war Trump ally, and I think this has been contributing to it because like they've been able to take over social media platforms, and they've been able to take over the sort of corporate like bourgeois media, and it's created this incredible unreality of this image that he is like this like staggeringly popular leader and that the things he do are popular, and that there's been like a giant cultural shift towards his stuff, and it's like, well, I mean, they're kind of has been a cultural shift in terms of like you know, elite liberals are allowed to be racist again, Like all of the people who always wanted to be eugenicists are like, you know, on that shit now.
Speaker 16: And they you know, they cracked their knuckles and warmed up under COVID, right like this this is also contiguous in a way, and yeah, yeah, no, I think that that's exactly right. And I think part of what we saw in the last week, I mean, I know we're going to talk about this a bit that like the last week when we're recording this, which was the week of the Charlie Kirk memorializing when everyone pretended that ventilating a Nazi was like the greatest tragedy that had the fallen American heroes. And I saw a lot of people who had been up until then relatively level headed suddenly really start to panic that week and feel like things were really And I think part of that was because with a man as absolutely risless and as obviously malicious and uninteresting as Charlie Kirk getting that treatment like he was, you know, Robert Redford or whatever he was about it, I think that happening in Unison across all the media, I think people finally realized, like, oh, everything is totally captured, and the people who hadn't really thought that felt like that there was sort of this unanimity, the unanimity you're talking about, because they're able to project this unanimity through this one sort of media voice, and like the fact that that was punctured by Jimmy Kimmel getting fired, and they're being like a genuine upswell of popular attention about the man show guy, like like who hasn't been funny, like probably since he was fourteen or whatever. I think a lot of people have focused on that as being extremely embarrassing in cringe, which like, yeah, accurate, But I think like also like they couldn't even hold it together for a week, right, Like they couldn't even hold this full court press together for a week.
Speaker 15: They had that Charlie Kirk documentary.
Speaker 16: They were like, we're gonna film it on you know, on Sinclair, all the places where we would be showing Jimmy Kimmel.
Speaker 15: They just canceled it. They put it on YouTube.
Speaker 12: Yeah, twenty six thousand views. This means I am very very proud of this. More people listen to me complaining about the way that everything everywhere, all at once, was spreading the porschwise patriarchal ideology of the family. More people listen to me talk about that on this show that watched the stupid fucking Charlie gud worry.
Speaker 15: Sorry to that man, but people do not care, Like people.
Speaker 16: Don't care about that guy and and it didn't And also as you said the opening, his poles have gone down. People are like shut up about this, like they don't care. It doesn't work like this, like poles aren't everything. But like I think this disconnect. It's so hard is that if you are mostly getting your information from a media environment, which all of us do, Like that's how most of us get all of our information. That's this is not a judgment. It feels like everyone is like, you know, is at like half mast, you know, for their for their beautiful their beautiful boy. Look what they did to my beautiful boy with his tiny little face and his huge neck that like apparently was made of steel and caught bullets. Like a Fox News article said that he was like particularly strong bodied and he kept saved other people.
Speaker 12: Okay, I didn't talk about this for a second because this is so fucking un hite. What Okay, so his like surgeon or whatever was like, oh yeah he was. He started his surgeon wrote a thing about like this bone that doesn't exist, yeah that he was like, oh yeah, he had this really thick bone there that stopped the bullet. And this got like picked up by like Fox News, who's that running a story about this magical iron bone in Charlie Kirk's neck that like God put there or something to save I just.
Speaker 15: It's it's so I can read the headline for you. Hang on, I've got it here.
Speaker 16: Oh god, this is Fox News on x There's a picture of Charlie Kirk that says surgeon says, Charlie Kirk's body stopped bullet in quote absolute miracle that saved others, TPUSA says, and then quote man of steel, Charlie Kirk's body stopped a bullet that would typically quote just go through everything and it was quote an absolute miracle. Nobody else was killed his surgeon. Tod's turning point, us, So that's weird behavior that people don't like.
Speaker 15: That's not yeah.
Speaker 16: No, So I think like basically they have this capacity to do this like really really intense, unified message across the entire spectrum of the media, and we're seeing it again right now with like NPR publishing basically does tile it all actually cause autism, so the science.
Speaker 15: Isn't out yet, you know, or whatever like as their headline, you know.
Speaker 16: Yeah, So like obviously, like that's scary if you're used to a reality which is shaped largely by the media, and and Trump has gotten into office twice based on a media reality shaping effect.
Speaker 15: The media has been the.
Speaker 16: Main tool, both social and mainstream, for putting him into power. So it's understandable to take it seriously because it does need to be taken seriously.
Speaker 15: But there's other stuff going on.
Speaker 12: Well, And like the funniest version of this was just how fast Disney caved on bringing Jimmy Kimmel back, yes, which was like sub one week.
Speaker 15: Yeah, no, it was sub one week.
Speaker 16: And you know, to me, that says that actually the boycott spread real fast and real far. Like there was a Disney adult on TikTok right who was sort of like giving people instructions on how to cancel their Disney World vacations and was like canceling his Disney World wedding, you know, and like this was like all happening really really fast. People were really mad. And you know, yeah, it's again it's goofy that it's over Jimmy Kimmel. But it's not really about Jimmy Kimmel, right, it's because everyone hates this man.
Speaker 15: They hate this.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and people don't actually want this in dipshit to just literally and you know, and he's trying to do this again, right, he's apparently trying to sue Disney, like they don't want the fucking orange guy to be able to just straight up say what is legal to say on TV. Yeah, which is the thing that he is attempting to do right now.
Speaker 16: And the other thing about it that I think is really important and relevant is that a better dictatorship doesn't go to the press and fire this man. They pull strings behind this. They get him to retract like on his show in a way that causes no attention, and the people who follow Kimmel see it enough to understand that power has been pulled behind the strings, but they probably don't really think much about it.
Speaker 15: Right.
Speaker 16: That is how like real, really smooth smooth repression of a free press into a bot press involves a lot of strings being pulled behind the scenes, and in fact, it has been happening for twenty years in America. There has been a lot of that going on. Part of what's so obscene about this whole situation in a certain way is that Trump just needs to do less. Things have been set up for fascism for a while.
Speaker 15: He just needs to do less. And he can't help himself. They can't help themselves because they're you know, because they need it to be in this sort of public mode. And also he's lost his you know, his juice.
Speaker 12: But yeah, yeah, well and it's also just like, I mean, this is so partially Trump is just like pathologically obsessed with late night comedy, right because he's a TV guy and so he's just mad on Red and maden nude online. Except like the previous version of it were like you were just like throwing shit at your television set in like nineteen fifty five, which is a real really terrified thing to have in the presidency. But you know, speaking of speaking of having things in the presidency, these products and services, look, if they've painted more, you get better transitions.
Speaker 18: Yeah, but they don't, so vote for them.
Speaker 12: We are back, So you know, I think it's worth noting that, Like yeah, no, like like the immediate financial pressure of you know, just just the collision of weight hold on like the people who buy things, which is most people admittedly, like Disney adults are a very narrow subset of people, but like the speed and rapidity of which reality, which is people don't like this guy hit the like sort of you know, just just like just like sort of smashed through this like tunnel of the Charlie Kirk stuff was just unbelievable, you know, and like part of this this is something that Marissa Cabas from uh the Handbasket reported, which is that part of what was going on with Disney was about to roll out a price increase. Yeah, and so they had to bring it back so they could do their price increase, which well, brother, just delay the price increase if we're trying to do authoritaries whatever. Okay, you know, I am happy these people suck at doing this. It's great, we like it. We like that they're bad at it, right, Yeah, you know, like Disney is being pressured here, but I think it's worth talking about something that you have been spending a ungodly amount of time in the minds of, yeah, which is Disney and fascist Oh boy.
Speaker 16: Hey, yeah, I mean, part of what's been so funny about this week for me personally, and that's what really matters obviously, is that is that is that, like you know, when we went into this administration and we started seeing what they were doing, I was like, I can't believe I'm writing a book about free trade and law fair right, like warfare by law, like you know, like sort of this massive corporate legal apparatus that has been supported by global trade regimes because they're ripping it apart right like that, Like the pharma tariffs is like a huge blow to the IP regime. Sorry, the intellectual property regime. The IP regime is what I analyze in the book I've just written and is coming out in April, and it's about how Disney really was like a sort of pioneer in understanding the value of intellectual property and manipulating it and how you can see that through the entire corporate and artistic history of Disney Studios. So it's about like Disney movies and how they're all connected. They actually all sort of tell stories about IP in certain ways, and how we sort of miss that angle on them very often, very frequently, and misunderstand how much IP functions in the broader society because, for example, fast fashion companies, Now I know you said talk about Disney, I'm.
Speaker 15: Talking about something else.
Speaker 16: Say fast fashion companies, they actually own very very read little materially, so their offices are leased. Mostly their factories are contracted. You know, everyone who makes the sewing is contracted. They might own their stores, but they probably lease their stores. Right, They like have very few direct employees other than like store level if they don't franchise, but they might even franchise. They might not even employ the store level people, but they probably do store level people corporate employees. And then they own their IP and maybe they own a headquarters building somewhere right like that's a fancy building, and everything else is quote unquote owned by them, controlling the designs, the logos, the images, and they can guarantee that they can make almost infinite money off of that. Because the global trade regime enforces copyright law in a way that would make people who would like to see any human rights thing enacted blush with shame, and it is incredibly effective. It is the one thing that international law does quite well is enforced copyright YEP and trademark and patent. So when you have stuff like the you know, you can no longer ship under eight hundred dollars without tariffs. Like those companies are entirely reliant on being able to move these products as cheaply and as quickly as possible because they don't own ships, they don't own factories, they don't even really own the you know, they they own the shirts only when they arrive on American shores.
Speaker 12: Really, this has always been the dream of reproduction of capital, which is to have a company with no assets that makes money exactly, and they're so close, they're so cleanly.
Speaker 15: Close, and all this stuff is destroying it.
Speaker 16: So I was like, well, great, now I've written this whole book about how Disney you know, is actually really like a state actor, and like they have they have like a sovereign territory in Florida that people talk about a little bit called the Reedy Creek Improvement District you may or may not know about.
Speaker 15: People talked about Celebration Florida a bit.
Speaker 16: When that happened in the two thousands, which is like a weird creepy company town that they run. They actually own a huge section of It's like two counties it's larger than the size of Manhattan in central Florida. Jesus Christ, what the conflict with the Santis over that don't say gay bill, which people you know, interpreted largely through the lens of the you know, horrifyingly reactionary politics.
Speaker 15: Who's pushing, which is understandable.
Speaker 16: Is also a conflict over sovereignty in Florida because they don't pay taxes in the same way, they make their own laws, they have their own police force.
Speaker 15: So basically, Jesus Christ.
Speaker 12: Is they made the first networks.
Speaker 16: They did it, they did it, and they've been doing it for thirty years. That probably sixty sixty nine is when they get the deal for READI creat They've had it for a long a long time. People don't love to talk about this for some reason. I think it's really interesting, terrifying, but really interesting. But the reason that that's all really really connected to intellectual property is because one of the things that Disney did, despite you know, having literally their own statelet in the middle of Florida, is maintaining themselves as the magic kingdom. They are associated with childhood nostalgia magic. Even as they've grown and grown and grown. This behemoth. Like they've managed to largely stay connected to this sort of image of American innocence and childhood. And there have been moments in the nineties they overreached a bit. There's been like you know, there have been problems, and you can read all about that. But basically they did image management on all these different levels. So they managed Mickey Mouse, They managed the law around copyright, like copyright extensions famously were largely driven by Disney lobbying in nineteen seventy six and then again in nineteen ninety eight. Anyway, so all of these things, I'm trying to reduce a very big argument to a very small package here, But basically, Disney designed and the and the other IP businesses that work around it have figured out that if you can control the way your product appears in the market, and you can control the images and the feelings people have about them and the sort of thoughts and stuff, you can really do whatever you want materially behind the scenes, right like that, Like controlling an image is so powerful. And part of why like what's happening with Disney, weh it's falling apart so fast, is because if they give in to Trump at all it requires shattering that image that has been a century in the making, right, Like, like part of what was so brutal about the thing with Jimmy Kimmel was like, it's just obvious that Disney did that, that the corporate people did that, and they did it because Trump did it publicly. Trump is humiliating these these corporations publicly. Right, He's humiliating them. He's forcing them to come to heal. It's not working popularly, He's not capturing anti corporate sentiment.
Speaker 15: Really, people are.
Speaker 16: Like, why are you doing that over Jimmy Kimmel, Like that's weird, You're a creepy Yeah. But then also he's also destroying legitimacy of everyone. It's pulling everything down around him. It's a family annihilation, right, He's so angry about twenty twenty and like being tried that he's just going to rip everything down around him.
Speaker 12: Wow.
Speaker 16: I just said a lot of different things, but all of which is to say, like, what's so interesting about like the Trump regime in some ways and the relationship to Disney is that Disney has for so long built this image of America that has managed to persist like across and against you know, a century of increasingly violent, ineffective and visible imperialism like in Korea and Vietnam and then Iraq and Afghanistan. It was so crucial to the image of what American capitalism was. And then Trump, a man who is just as built by images as the Disney Corporation, comes and is just like just is ripping it all down because he's sort of you know, one gaping narcisstic wound right like and running a country.
Speaker 15: Right yeah. So if you look at the history of.
Speaker 16: Like Disney in general, Hollywood, and intellectual property management in general, what you can see is the way that we have that this this media apparatus has been built. When I say media apparatus, I think people tend to think, you know, when you talk about images or the spectacle or whatever, they just think about.
Speaker 15: Stuff on TV.
Speaker 16: But like, no, it's also all the products that circulate through society. And it's like the way that you get paid for your job with you know, like the idea of clout is like actually part of that, Like it does function as a form of payment, right, Like it's not like people make fun of that, like oh good, but like then everyone acts as though it's real, right, and when everyone acts though.
Speaker 15: It's real, it's real. It's a social relation.
Speaker 16: So the entire spectacular economy, which is built entirely on images that rely only on being forced through a sort of massive group thing from the top of the economy and the political class, was built by these corporations, but it was built explicitly to you know, reap as much wealth as possible for their shareholders.
Speaker 12: Yeah, yeah, have to make money. Yeah.
Speaker 16: Trump is too perfect a product of that, and this regime is too perfect a product of that. And now it's all it's all you know, it is its own grave digger.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 12: Yeah. The port has a line about like the way that the spectacle sort of like intrudes into and like becomes reality. And like if Disney is sort of like the stage manager of this, right, Like Trump just is the thing like come to life and powering through it, and she doesn't because he is the image and not the thing that creates the image. He has different interests, yes, than the people who create the image. Who are you know, trying to make money. Trump is trying to like satisfy all of his like vindictive sort of versissistic rage.
Speaker 15: Exactly.
Speaker 16: It's worth remembering that, you know, although the damage he's doing is extremely real. Yeah, he genuinely is fighting over the election and over like Komi, Like he is like he really believes these things. This is a regime that believes the things that for example, Carl Rove would teach people to say to get away with doing what they wanted to do. Right, these are these are as you said, they are the image itself, they are true believers in the spectacle, and as such break the fourth wall, right if we're going to use a theater metaphor here as such, they end up they end up like just destroying it. And I think Trump's power was that he could puncture the spectacle, right, and then there were all the people you as you describe, and the people who make the spectacle, maintain the image, make the image.
Speaker 15: They were around him.
Speaker 16: So they would just they would just close up the puncture, they would close up the susture. They'd work really really hard, right. So what I mean by that is like Trump would say something absolutely unhinged, and the New York Times would be like the controversial statement from President Trump, right, which like completely normalizes it, and like everyone would sort of pretend that he hadn't just said the most unhinged lunatication. And this is the first administration I'm talking about, right, Like people would just pretend that it was normal.
Speaker 12: Yeah, that he was speaking of four seasons total landscage.
Speaker 16: Yeah, right, like just like shit would happen exactly and everyone would sort of try it would normalize it. And that normalization repaired the fabric of the spectacle. And it made Trump's fans really happy because you get to watch August institutions such as the Washington Post going over backwards to make an obvious, obscene lie seem like a reasonable claim. Right, So they were humiliated in fixing the spectacle behind him as he punctured it. Right, But he he has actually too successfully gotten rid of everyone who did that repair. He actually thought they were his enemies, the Rhinos, right, the Republicans who kept him in line, the Democrats, the media.
Speaker 15: They have been purged.
Speaker 16: They have all been purged and controlled, and now they all just repeat what he says. And what ends up happening is that the spectacle just remains torn and people see through it like it's just not working anymore. And I think what's scary is that it still feels like they're repairing the spectacle around his claims because the entire media is speaking as one, and the Democrats are speaking as one, and the Republicans are speaking as one, and they're all agreeing. You know, we imagine someone else, John Q Public sitting there and seeing that and going, oh, okay, it's all pretty normal, Like, oh, Charlie Kirk was a good guy. You know, we sort of project that that person is there. But actually more and more people who would have been like that in the first regime are like, well, I don't believe any of this shit.
Speaker 12: Yeah, yeah, And I think it's also we're saying, like the way that we're talking about this in terms of his and popularity and reality, and you know, in terms of why it feels like this, it doesn't mean that there's not horrible shit happening constantly, right, And that's the other part of his ability to sort of eliminate that, the legitimization part of the spectacle was that like that it was to some extent restraining him, right, Like, that's the reason why there wasn't just like there were a bunch of deportations in their Trump There are a bunch of deportations under Biden. The thing that's happening now is not the thing that was happening before, right, Yeah, the Secretary of the Interior wasn't showing up at like five thirty in the morning in a suburb of Chicago to blow up someone's door and drag a bunch of American citizens out of their house. Like that was like not happening yeah before, And that's off. It's just you know, it's unbelievably horrifying. And it's also not popular, like even those approval rating numbers, right, Like, you know, like his immigration policy in theory is the most popular thing he's doing. And also ICE can't do mass, large scale raids because if they stay in one place for too long, so many people will show up. They can't do it. And you know, and the lightning raids that they've been doing have been really brutal and really effective, but like those are not the tactics a stormtrooper force that broadly has the has popular consents. Yeah, right, they don't move like that. And you know, I talked about this. I guess it'll be like two weeks ago on executive's order. But like people are like stopping these raids in like Wheton. Like Wheton used to be literally the center of the base of power of like the Bush administration moral majority shit. For like forty years, this was like the center of the Christian Right. And they have lost Wheton. It's been like electing democrats, and it's not just leatin democrats, like the speed of which has moved from electing democrats to like a bunch of people showed up and are stopping like lightning ice raids, which is really impressive, genuinely, very very impressive organizing. It's very hard to do. Most times it doesn't work because you can't get there fast enough. And somehow again like the place that used to be the capital of the moral majority, it's like Jerry Well's fucking like home domain, right, like the epicenter of like of the Christian Right is in doing the anti ice raid shit like what like and this is the thing as we're going on for like you know, probably like four or five years, but like them do it like really serious, very good direct action. The entire terrain of the world is shifting beneath us, while all of these people constantly try to like paint over this like little tiny scaffolding they've set up to be like no, no, the ground's still there. There's all these holes in the middle of it, but like, you know, we're gonna put us some tarp that like looks like the sky beneath it. It's like, wait, why is the sky down? Yeah, don't ask questions to keep walking exactly.
Speaker 16: And I think that's like, I think that's really important and a thing that I think happens sometimes when I sort of make this analysis with my friends. I think they think that I'm saying that like fascism isn't here, or that like this isn't a fascist regime, or that like they don't want to like.
Speaker 15: Do Nazism like they very clearly do.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 15: My analysis has been like since February.
Speaker 16: I mean part of what's happened is in February, when the dose stuff was going on, I was like, well, the American Republic is over, like we'll never be able to go back, Like now what do we do? So I think like a lot of the disjuncture and the confusion and the craziness feeling that people are having is because people are coming to those realizations on separate timelines. Because it's really hard to accept it's a hard and complicated thing to feel and to recognize that actually, like this is dying, Like this is a dying regime and a dying empire, and like that does not mean it's less dangerous. In fact, historically it's often more dangerous and it's death throws. And it does not mean when you and I talk about him being ineffective, it does not mean that the stuff he's doing isn't terrifying. We're both trans women who organize with other trans women, Like we know about it, okay, y'all, Like we are dealing with the fallout all the time. But like the situations that we could be going through, the situations that they could be achieving that with the public that they were handed by the Biden administration that had broken solidarity around COVID, that had created an effective red scare around Gaza, that had like you know, basically perpetuated two genocides and gotten liberals to like say that that was normal and good, right, Like that was a very very scary public yea to hand to Nazis two now with nukes, right, And like I think, you know, we do ourselves a disservice when the only fascist regimes, we think about are Nazism and we think that like it's inevitably like going to be just like the Nazis, or even if we just say, well, it could be more like Italy. Like there are dozens of different dictatorships. Yeah, across the history. I don't expect everyone to study all of them, but like, but like it's worth understanding.
Speaker 12: Learn a third one, pick one, literally pick one, fucking anyone that's got the maid too. There are so many like you have you are.
Speaker 5: Spoiled for exactly.
Speaker 15: Yeah, yeah, you can do. You could do if you know, pick a decade.
Speaker 16: You know, you like the seventies, go for swat though in Indonesia, you like the eighties Brazilian military dictatorship, no problem, Like, or you could do Korea in the eighties. You've got lots of choices. Oh, the fifties, go for Greece, no problem, don't.
Speaker 15: Worry about it.
Speaker 16: The reason that I bring all that up is just to say that, like, things are really bad and if we don't, you know, throw down, this will successfully build an authoritarian fascist state eventually, just by the sheer inertia of the power that they have available on the time that they can wait. But as you're saying, and as I've been sort of seeing, also, there's tremendous amounts of resistance. It is completely uncovered. It is not being seen. But because they live in the spectacle that they themselves have made, they also don't see and understand their level of resistance. Like they've just organized the FBI, right they fired about like was it like a fifth of FBI agents like headed agents, and then like a bunch more are now doing like street crime and are like being put into ice raids.
Speaker 15: And people talk about that as being terrifying, and it is terrifying.
Speaker 16: The desire they have to do really brutal ice raids and to use every resource available in them is scary. But also if they don't have the FBI's eyes on the ball.
Speaker 15: Which they clearly don't anymore.
Speaker 16: They have redirected the FBI, they are not nearly as cognizant of what's going on in terms of distance as they were even six months ago.
Speaker 12: No, like if you look at the guy who shot Charlie Kirk, right, this is like Carly Kirk is like their guy. Right that the FBI is so stripped down right now that with a full court press, the only reason they caught that guy was because he didn't understand that discord wasn't private, and he like dropped his gun and didn't pick it.
Speaker 15: Up again, and his dad recognized it.
Speaker 12: Right, And if he had done those two things, they wouldn't have found him, Like they didn't catch him. He turned himself in, right, And that's again someone assassinated like their guy and they couldn't find him. Like this repressive apparatus it is really really scary and very good at doing the thing that it's focused on doing right now, which is like dragging immigrant families from their homes at like five in the morning by blowing their fucking doors down and like dragging them away to a prison. Right, It's not good at anything else. And the thing, right that is a very very good way to create an engine of you know, like immense human misery that who's spectacle they can sell, But it's not actually a good way to hold together an authoritarian dictatorship. We have seen very very successful sort of dictatorships in the last like twenty thirty years, right, yeah, And you know, like they take a bunch of forms. I think, like the most classically like nineteen thirties Nazi Party one is Modi in India, yep, and Modi India has done the thing in the sense of like has really really successfully transformed the consciousness of people in India to this sort of like unbelievably unhinged right wing fascist version of like Hindu supremacy that hasn't happened here.
Speaker 16: Right, you know, it's worth knowing that the RSS, which is his brown shirts, like has four.
Speaker 15: Million people in it.
Speaker 12: Yeah, yeah, right, Like, I mean you know it has million.
Speaker 16: They have millions of brown Shirts, right, Like Ice is having trouble hiring twelve thousand extra agents in a continent of four hundred million people. Again, this doesn't mean it everything's fine, but yeah, like if you look at that, if you look at Ernolan and Turkey, or you look at Putin and Russia, or even Orbon to a different degree, in Hungary, like they slow rolled it, right, They went through a few elections that were like slightly sketchy but basically normal, like they like, and they just slowly built power, and it took them a decade to get to the point where they were openly doing the authoritarian stuff that Trump was trying to do. And like, again there's no rules, it might work what Trump is doing. But like compared to Milay in Argentina, right, who they all loved so much, who came into power similarly to Trump started throwing truth bombs everywhere, you know, because like ripped apart and has now had to come hat in hand begging for a bailout to the United States yep, because his whole thing, his regime, fell apart within twenty four months.
Speaker 12: Yep.
Speaker 16: There is ultimately a material limit to what you can do. You can't just speak reality into existence for that long.
Speaker 12: Yeah, And that's the thing, right, if it was possible, did you speak reality into existence, we would all be living on a neo conservatism, right, there would be like a pure, well functioning oil extracting American client state in a rock right now. And I don't know what the fuck they would have done with a guinnessent, but like if, if, if you could just do the thing. And I talked about this on the show. I talked about this on the show all the time, right, the thing the neo conservatives thought they could do with evidence based reality thing, right, where like they they thought that what they could do was just instead of observing reality and creating your positions, from it. They thought they could just purely influence and manipulate reality to become whatever they wanted it to be, and they couldn't. Right, like where is George Bush right now? Right like where is Dick Cheney? Like the Trump administration somehow staggeringly has managed to like they finally found a war crime so bad that John wu the art like the guy who wrote the torture manuals, was like, wait, hold on, you can't just blow up random like boats of people in Venezuela, Like what what? Like I literally had not even occurred to me that it was possible for you to commit a war crime so bad that the guy who off the torture memos was like, hold on, hold on, hold on, Well, I ain't set up for this shit.
Speaker 16: Like it's yeah, they're absolutely like unhinged. They're horrible and thank god they are so unpopular and so bad at this. Yeah, because if they were just a little bit better at this, I think it's very clear what they want.
Speaker 12: We're different. We're screwed. Yeah, like we go we go under like four months, but that hasn't happened because they're not good at this and they're tearing apart the very institutional apparattus like Disney, like they're tearing apart the very institutional apparattus is that were designed to like propagate them. Like Trump could have just made peace with Disney, right, Like Trump could have just used you know, like like basically like the way that every other being, like like the way literally the Nazis did right like until like literally until they were forced to break it off dream like World War two, right, which is like used Disney as a propaganda apparat is for you.
Speaker 16: And Disney was gun shy because of the fight with the fight with Santas didn't go that well for them, Yeah, surprisingly, you know, like they had some trouble with that, and so they were gun shy, like going into the administration, like they were very quiet, like they were not rocking the boat.
Speaker 15: They were making lots of statements about how like, you know, we.
Speaker 16: Support it, Like he didn't have to goad them into taking a position in the culture war, Like they were just very glad that they weren't fighting off Da Santis anymore, and that they weren't fighting off you know the Daily Wire, you know, claiming that they were you know, whatever the woke mind virus or whatever the hell, you know. Yeah, Like they were just they were just putting their keeping their heads down, trying to rebuild after the disaster of the pandemic, right, like trying to like get their cruise line back up and like as profitable as it could be. You know, Like they were they were working on like they were just doing their thing, and they were like, no reason Trump should stop that.
Speaker 15: There's no reason trum should spped that. They is what they thought.
Speaker 12: No, It's like they were implementing like a lot of the culture wars they wanted in terms of like Okay, we're going back to white people. We're never having another non white character again, like eat shit.
Speaker 16: Like they canceled they they're canceling TV shows with just like quick your character is Like they're just they're just doing stuff like that. They're they're doing everything that the regime wants. But as you mentioned, he's just sitting there watching TV and like like throwing his remote around and like unfortunately his remote like dictates US policy.
Speaker 12: M I think that's an important note to close on because like his remote dictates US policy to the extent that everyone pretends that it does. And one of the things that can start happening in the in the end stages of these kind of regimes, is that like the levers of power become unglued from the mechanisms of the state.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 12: Right, So he just like declared that antifas like a domestic terrorist organization. Right, We're gonna be talking about that later this week, possibly earlier this week. Got to know when this episode's coming out. But that doesn't do anything in and of itself. He's just like waving a magic wander round. But if he doesn't have the repressive apparatus to make that matter, then okay, then then him throwing the remote around isn't like gesturally controlling the arm of like one of the most sophisticated, what's supposed to be one of the most fiscated pressed apparatuses ever. Right, And they rely on both the compliance of the state bureaucracy, which they've been decently good at pulling in line, but also they rely at our compliance for this, and you don't have to comply with them. That's the fun thing about about existence is that they can't just they can't just make it real unless you help them.
Speaker 16: And as we saw, as you're already talking about the Charlie Kirk Special doesn't go up, right, they say like the yeah, the COVID vaccines are like, we're going to restrict them. And most of the pharmacies are just like just check a box saying you need it, like you know, like not in every state. But again, like these massive institutions, they can't really get them in line, So why are you letting them get you in line?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 12: And remember, you know, like they had better control of their institutional apparatuses in twenty twenty and the outcome of that was there was a giant uprising and they put the president in a bunker or a thing that he's still mad about to this day. Right, even when it looks like they have total control, they don't. And I don't know if he's gonna like end up in a Hitler bunker. But look, as of right now, as it stands, the record of Trump administration's ending with Trump hiding in a bunker is one hundred percent. So you know, if if if the past is to be a prediction of the future, we could see it again when all of this ship goes to hell and the economy collapses and everyone's like, oh, this was all lie. The whole time. Wow, damn, hey look like you know, and oh god, but I don't know if we can. Uh, we're just gonna, we're just gonna, we're just gonna put a really long leaf over that entire sentence and we're gonna, we're we're gonna leave that sentence as an exercise to the reader, completing the sentence, just figuring out what it was saying, not doing the thing. Okay that this this, this has been. It could happen here, Vicky. Where can people you order your book?
Speaker 16: Oh, you can go to Haymarket and that's who's putting it out and they have a list of links. You can also go to my blue Sky account vickyacab dot b Sky dot social and you can find a link there.
Speaker 12: Yeah, And where can people find you in your work?
Speaker 16: Car Shiny things dot com. It's the Collective Anarchist Writers or any other acronym you like.
Speaker 15: C AW. That's where I'm working the most regularly.
Speaker 12: Now, good crowth, heming. That's great, that's great.
Speaker 15: It's Corvid based.
Speaker 12: Yeah, we love a Corvid based economy.
Speaker 15: Thanks so much for having me Amiya, Yeah, thanks for coming on.
Speaker 13: Hello and welcome to the podcast. It's me James today, and I'm very lucky to be joined by a couple of people who I am about to introduce to discuss the very important topic of does Tyler and O'll give your baby autism? I think we probably already know the answer, but nonetheless we have half an hour to talk about it. So you were here doctor Carve Hodeth laughing, that's uh me, that's cave. Yeah. Many of you will know him, but he's a medical doctor and host of the House of Pod podcast. And I'm also joined by Tyler Black, who's a psychologist in British Columbia. Welcome Tyler, chiatrist, psychiatrist.
Speaker 7: Fucked it up? Them fighting words, James, them fighting.
Speaker 13: Yeah, no, I know, yeah, this is yes. Like when people call me a sociologists, I understand, or even worse, an anthropologist.
Speaker 7: It's a pleasure to be here and no worries. Tyler is Canadian, so to see him correct somebody on something makes me happy. I'm very sorry, yeah, but that's why we get him on.
Speaker 14: He's very sorry, he's very sorry about that. I love Tyler very much. He comes on my show not infrequently. And one really pleasant thing that's happened, one little bright spot in the last I don't know five years of terror that have been happening medically is seeing Tyler gradually over time become grumpier and more willing to fight.
Speaker 7: That's the only bright spot I've had. Thank you Tyler for that.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I imagine that's the side effect of your consumption of a seat to metaphana may Yeah.
Speaker 7: Got a cut back, bro got cut back? Yeah?
Speaker 13: All right. For those not familiar, where are we talking about?
Speaker 7: Thailan All?
Speaker 13: Might be the name you're familiar if you, especially of your American people, like to use brand names a little more. I still find that very confusing, and I've lived here for a better part of two decades. But why are we talking about tail and all?
Speaker 12: Tyler?
Speaker 7: Do you want to introduce this concept? Sure so, Yeah. Talent All goes by Paracenamol in UK and other places in the world. It's a ceta minifin here, so it really is not talking about talent although the shorthand that the political people who've been talking about it have specifically called out the brand Talentol, which is bizarre. But this stems from both a mission that RFK Junior when he took over as the HHS sort of had, which was to find the cause of autism, which is his political quest to find some environmental cause. I mean, he started as an environmental lawyer. I don't think he's doing this disingenuously. I think he truly believes there was an environmental cause to autism. But of course RFK wheeled science probably driven by the brain worm, and so he has this way of having a conclusion that and finding the science to support it. And it was very clear that he was going to point towards vaccine vaccine schedule, and at some point this is definitely coming. I think this might be a roundabout way to do it through fevers and talinol. But the talent link is something that has been a question mark. So a really quick aside will be that when drugs are regulated, the drug companies have very little natural interest to study it and pregnant people it only brings the risk. There's no reason to do it. You are required to submit what studies you have on animal toxicity in utero and these types of things, but not really that much for humans, and so the drug companies usually put their hands up and go talk to your doctor about using this, and then the rest of us in medicine have to take that information that's been generated about this medication and try and interpret it on pregnant people. And it creates this system where we create the evidence over the next twenty years in what we call pharmacal vigilids or post marketing studies, where we basically has there been a problem, did we find any birth effects?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 7: And we kind of do it backwards. It kind of makes sense because you couldn't really do an RCAT on pregnant women to start with if you didn't know any reason for the for the drug. So it's one of those sort of loopholes. And so this natural conversation has resulted in science that points in a number of directions. Does the seed of Menifhite cause autism? Can't be answered by the current science because it's all cohort data, it's looking backward, it's looking at populations. It's confounded. How are The best study was published in twenty twenty four, which makes the timing of this announcement really awkward. There was two point five million people. It was a believe it's a Danish study, Swedish study, okay, And in that study there was a small link found, But because they had two point five million people, they could check that link by looking at sibling pairs within that two point five million. So in that group they had sixteen thousand sibling pairs both exposed to and not exposed to acetaminifin, and lo and behold, they found that there was no relationship there. So this really is one of the more definitive correlational studies that says pretty much, any effect we're seeing is probably confounded. It probably isn't due to the assineminifin. Though there are some animal studies that might hint at it, it appears to be minor and Caves are about to say something, Yeah, first of all, that's exactly right.
Speaker 14: I think that there are a lot of things that Maha and RFK Junior talk about there are just insane and you can dismiss out of hand. This is a topic that is not complete rubbish. It is something that has a little bit of nuance and we can talk about as Tyler was just mentioning, there is some evidence that there might be a small relationship, but the real key is determining if it's a causal relationship or just correlative. Are they just related for some reason or another, or are they caused by each other? And that study that he talked about, that Swedish study looked at about one hundred and eighty thousand infants that had parents that were exposed to sudemenafin. What's really elegant about that is that it looked at the siblings. That's why it's such an important study. And that's what I say, it closes the door on the matter. No, I agree with Tyler. I think the preponderance of evidence now is that there is no connection between town law and autism. But I don't know if this study totally closes the door. It is really well done though. So they showed that if you look at siblings, if you look at a family, there's no connection. You take out some of the variables, you take out some of the confounders there that can obfuscate or confuse an issue. You take those out of the picture, and you see that there's no relationship between town and menaphin. What's interesting in that same study that we just study, if they then put those back in, if they didn't account for the siblings, then yeah, showed that there is a little bit of evidence, a small basic relationship between you knowcedomenaphin and developing autism. But once you start accounting for some of these these really tough to account for variables, then you start to see that that falls apart, and that implies that most of these other studies are not causal but correlative relationships.
Speaker 7: The sort of twenty twenty five update is and I think this might have I think, as that we learn more about it, this might have been something that was either solicited or developed in tandem with RFK and his goals. But there was a publication in twenty twenty five by I think the Harvard Dean of Medicine, who has been a plaintiff's witness for attorneys battling talentol in developing autism. So there is a bit of a financial conflict of interest there.
Speaker 13: Right, Yeah.
Speaker 7: Baccarelli, Yeah, doctor Buccarelli, who published a study called a Navigation Review, and it's basically a science y version of let me tell a story, and here's the evidence that supports it. Basically, what they did is they took the number of studies, they counted the number that pointed towards talinol as a factor, and they counted against it, and they found about twenty something in total. The majority of them found a link to talent al and autism, and then a minority found no link. But of course that's not really how we do science in twenty twenty five. If we had two studies and you can actually look at his studies, and some of these studies are two hundred people, three hundred people, five hundred people, and then you have this other study that's two point five million people in the real world, that larger study would dwarf the significance of the other ones. But in the way that this navigation study was set up, they're all equal. In fact, he treats the non confounded sample that Cave was mentioning as its own study, and then he treats the controlled sample with siblings as its own studies. So the same study from Sweden was cited twice, one four and one against. You can see how you could shape a narrative, which is what a narrative review is. It's when you shape a narrative. It's not a very sciencey way to do things. We like to do systematic reviews, and this did provide a bit of cover because now everyone in AHHS can point towards this study by the Harvard Deed of Medicine published in BMC Environmental Studies, Peer reviewed, showing that a navigational study shows that there could be a link, but it really if you read the study, any scientists reading it like, yeah, there could be a link, but the largest study in that group suggests there is no link.
Speaker 13: Right, yeah, in terms of someone's playing games with evidence when they've already decided what the completion would it be. Yeah, let's talk about this fascination with autism that exists in the MAHA. Right, make America healthy again. For those who are not familiar what's happening here, people are probably diagnosed with autism at a higher rate now than they were when these people were young. Right, that is not however, well, I will let you guys explain that. Explain how that doesn't mean that we're giving children autism if that, if my understanding is correct.
Speaker 7: Sure, I mean I'll jump in first. So there's a number of ways to test whether or not the rate is truly increasing. So the first thing to say is, over the world, we've seen a gradual increase in the global population that has autism from about zero point eight percent of the population to about two percent of the population. That's what's happened over the past twenty five years of studies across the world. Now, that's not exactly the exponential rise that you are and hear about in the United States. The United States has a lot of unique features though. You have a ton of people working in this area, you have a ton of researchers, lots of people have access to healthcare. There's many reasons why global numbers might not look like American numbers, but the general idea behind this increased rate of autism. Most of that increases due to our change in diagnostics and the way that we label things. So when RFK was a kid, there were kids that were excluded from school because they were literally called retarded. They were not allowed to come to school. They were known as spass and goofs, and they were the ones that were made fun of and they struggled throughout life. Now that were they called autistic? No, did they have the same symptoms that the kids today that are being diagnosed with autism have probably, And the way that we can control for that are there's some really elegant studies. One is we take diagnostic criteria from children and then we ask adults currently living today to go through a structured interview looking for those things, and yuess what, we find the same rate in adults that we see in kids. Okay, this idea that it's an exponential right now, I think the rate is also increasing, but I think it's increasing gradually, and this is because the extreme of ages are having kids more often, especially at the older end. And we do know that older age is related to autism, especially older age of the father. And we also know that premature babies and babies with significant developmental disabilities are surviving their postnatal period as soon as they're born. Instead of instantly dying or dying during childbirth or not being able to be resuscitated, they're kept alive and survive and this is good. But this does mean that there's more neurodiversity in the world because of course these children have encountered significant harm. Yeah, I agree with that.
Speaker 14: I do think that the diagnostic criteria has expanded and that's part of why we see more.
Speaker 7: But yeah, I think the.
Speaker 14: Two things we know that are related are some genetic predisposition if there's people in the family that have it, and the older age of patients as we get older, I'm an older father myself. You know, you see more with older patients, and that's more common now than it's ever been before.
Speaker 7: So these are all a part of it.
Speaker 14: Once you take a look, for example, going back to that Swedish study in twenty twenty four that was so good, that sibling study looks at the genetics of it, and once you count for the genetics of it, you start to be able to say, Okay, maybe this's other stuff like tile mall isn't important?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 13: Yeah, is there a gender element to this as well?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 13: I may have misremembered here. My understanding is that women FEN people tended to be diagnosed at a lower rate until relatively recently.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so not only is there a gender component, but I do think that the biological sex of the child has an impact on the genetic expression, because it seems like the transmission to males is higher than the transmission to females. So there might be something buffering about that extra X chromosome. You know, we have this shrimpy little Y chromosome that makes us all degenerates. You only have one Y chromosome? Sorry, are you a superman?
Speaker 13: I have two whys caves y why you know, Harry, my ears are so.
Speaker 7: There are a number of disorders that the extra X chromosome is protective for, and I do wonder if that's the case for autism. But what's also true is we have stereotypes about what girls should be and what boys should be, and that leads to boys being diagnosed with autism more frequently than girls. So the girl that's quiet and awkward and anxious is labeled as an anxious kid a lot more quickly than when you see that in a boy that the parents think autism or the clinician thinks autism. So there could be some social reasons for that discrepancy as well. And then the last thing I really wanted to say is that the really tragic thing about all of this is profound autism, which autism is the spectrum. Profound autism is extremely disabling for people around the person. Generally, autistic people enjoy their lives, especially if the world is set up in a way so that they can live safely without impediment. Autistic people are perfectly content to be autistic. And this whole idea of autism being this travesty, this epidemic, this blight on society, is really doing a disservice to the wide variety of people that we're now calling autistic, because when our criteria expanded, we created a whole space of autistic people who are very what we would call non profound autism. These are people that have difficulties in social communication or do the same thing over and over despite you know, it being at an abnormal level, but it's what they need to soothe themselves. You know, that will be called autism. Now, Now, would a parent want a child who's in a home constantly rocking back and forth and just soothing themselves by licking their fingers or whatever, you know, some very severe autistic behavior. No, that probably wouldn't be the parent's ideal. But I've worked with so much autism in my life. I'm a child in nodicston in psychiatrist. I've seen so many autistic kids live happy, happy, happy lives artistic. So I'm not a fan of the blight sort of messaging of it either.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I'm really glad you mentioned that, because that's one of the worst things about In a sense, one of the most damaging things about is where people who are living happy, healthy and fulfilled lives are being like slandered or pathologized to rided by the government of this country and that's fucked. Yeah, and I'm sure will have an impact on those people, because it would have an impact on anyone to see this condition that, as you said, right, like maybe difficult for people who are not familiar with it to navigate, but it doesn't mean that you can't have a fulfilling and happy and very pleasant life. Suddenly suggested it some kind of massively disabling and terrible travesty and that the person who gave birth to you is to blame for this, right right.
Speaker 14: That's what really bothers me, is like we're always trying to find ways to blame mothers. This is yeah, this is a mantle and I apologize for that. Listener, Please don't at me for that. Yeah, but part of what this is like control over women. And while that Swedish study of mention may not completely close the issue, I think it's pretty clear that the evidence pretty strong against there being a connection between tel nal and to make a whole sale governmental recommendation that as a country, for us to move this way, to make such strong claims, to have a president come out and just say grit your teeth and bear it. To women in regards to the one medicine that we've told them they can use during a pregnancy is insane to me. So there's the autism issue in the insult essentially to that community, but also to women in general. It's insane to me that this is happening right now. Again, there is a bit of nuance to this issue. As I mentioned, it's not like totally insane to ask about and question it, but to make a wholesale directional change in how we recommend managing patients with our pregnant is is nuts?
Speaker 7: Is just nuts? Yeah, And to piggyback on that, you know, like it's really normal. It was normal advice in twenty twenty four for us to say, yeah, you can use talent all, but try to use it sparingly. We're not really sure use it when you need it though, because we do know that pain and fever and these types of things are bad for the baby, right, you know, So this this kind of way in which it's now been massaged. So I saw a letter from doctor Marty Mackeriy, who's another grifter who's now in the American political system. There has written a letter basically saying at the bottom, use it judiciously, and it is the only one that's approved. So but that's exactly where we were before. There was no need for a past conference. Every doctor was saying, use talent all sparingly, but you can use it. James Tayley, what's driving me crazy about this? Yeah?
Speaker 13: Please?
Speaker 14: This administration has done something. Trump in general has done something that has blown my mind, which is somehow, time and time again, I find myself the FAI people and things that I would never want to defend. Like, first of on watching Jimmy Kimmel, I don't know how that happened. Yes, I blame Trump for that. Second, like, tylanol is a dangerous medication. I'm a liver doc. Yes, I feel like talanyl overdose is causing acute liver injury and acute liver failure is a massive, real issue across the world, and it is it's it's a real thing. So there are reasons that we should be watchful of talanol, but this is not one of them.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Personally, I'm a champion of all talanol should be like the UK, it should be in individually wrapped pieces because there is evidence that that reduces the rate of intentional overdose and even ic overdoses that cause liver failure. So yeah, take away freedoms and right this is the medical freedom crowd. It's amazing.
Speaker 13: Yeah, we should take an advertising break and then come back. So we'll do that.
Speaker 14: Oh god, that would be fantastic if I could take it now advertising. I could use an ad right now.
Speaker 12: So bad.
Speaker 13: It's going to be for fucking lemon pepper water, which is the only pain treatment you.
Speaker 7: Should be taking. Bark to put between your teeth.
Speaker 10: For sure.
Speaker 13: Go get some leaves and fucking eat them. What can get wrong? All right, we're back. Thank you for that message from Leaf Pain Relief.
Speaker 7: Hit the spot.
Speaker 13: It's good. Don't eat leaves. I saw someone posing with a they were taking their graduation pictures. Very nice setting. I'm not going to say the flower, I guess just in case, you can call it quite remarkable hallucinations and it is not a good idea to be like half in it. It's a nice looking flower. If you didn't know, you might have.
Speaker 7: Well, now I want to know what the hell you're talking about. You're going to tell me later.
Speaker 13: I'm assuming lived in California. Your whole life.
Speaker 12: How do you not know this?
Speaker 13: Yeah, I'll text you afterwards.
Speaker 7: The dandelions?
Speaker 5: Is it d I've been told not to.
Speaker 7: It reminds me though there was a TikTok video of there's been a few of women proudly being pregnant and ingesting talanol. And to be clear, that's an insane response to this problem, like please don't take talanol. As a point, as k was saying before the break, right, helenol does deplete the glutathione in your body, and it is toxic to your liver. If you're a deliver, doesn't have the glue to thion necessary, it directly injures the liver. And this is what happens when you take an overdose, is it overwhelms the amount of gluteothion that your liver has and it causes liver damage.
Speaker 14: And most pregnant women who want to keep the baby are very judicious to begin with, not just like downing shit willy nilly, you know what I mean, Like they're like, oh God, this is really bad, I bear take something. It talan all, by the way, sucks, you know, as a pain medicine. You know it's not gonna it's like the thing you take when they won't give you anything else is not a great one. So to take it from them without a good reason, without a proposed mechanism. If you're going to make extraordinary claims, you have to have, if not extraordinary evidence or ponderance of it. So this is really bothering me, as you can tell, because it does not exist.
Speaker 13: Yeah. I think something you mentioned earlier, like when like you said, you're back to to a corner where you're defending like a big farmer and tynel specifically, is the one thing that they've tried to do is like inhabit nuance and then disingenuously use it absolutely.
Speaker 7: Yes, yes, that's the entire anti vaccines.
Speaker 13: Yeah, yeah, right, and then it leads to people responding in a way that it raises nuance entirely. I understand where we get that response, but like it's it's not the correct response, right, Yeah. People want you to be like this is one hundred percent safe. Right. They want you to say this is actually the perfect medication and it's fine and you should have it for breakfast.
Speaker 7: And the HHS tweeted out statement that Talanold did in twenty seventeen basically saying we don't recommend talent All and pregnancy. But no drug maker recommends any medication. They all say, specifically, talk to your doctor about this medication. They're not allowed to recommend the medication. Only doctors can't. So when they're using that language and then HHS tweets it out, HHS is tweeting it out specifically to give the illusion that we don't want pregnant people to be taking this medication. They specifically said we don't recommend it, and that's a nuance and that's how they use it. And it just sucks.
Speaker 13: Right, that's exactly right. And tile Mall, the makers of it.
Speaker 14: By the way, I am curious about the fact that Johnson Johnson spun Off can view. I wonder if they knew this was coming and that's why they did it the same way that DuPont spun Off.
Speaker 7: It was only three years ago that they did that, but you didn't know.
Speaker 14: Like DuPont spun Off, the company in charge of all their pfasts they're Forever chemicals, because they knew it was coming down the pipeline.
Speaker 7: I wonder if that was the same reason here. Tal Mall did this. Well, they put band Aid and nutrigena in the same group, so I think it was more just to consolidate home stuff. Interesting.
Speaker 13: Yeah, got a press conference coming next week about banding.
Speaker 7: It's can sick cause anxiety.
Speaker 14: Anyways, It's very interesting to me that this is happening at all. Really, I mean, what I thought was interesting about the press conference, and I wonder if you guys picked up on this too, was you know, I was wondering, why is this pivot happening? How can RFK Junior be happy about this? He can't be happy about leaving his crusade against vaccines. The MOHA community behind him clearly doesn't love that aspect, and I wonder why they were pivoting to that, and I wonder what you guys think about that. I did feel that during that press conference, Trump really went out of his way to sort of give lip service that we should we should talk about this too, about vaccines. He talked about vaccines a lot, even though there's no new evidence about vaccines causing problems. And Trump gave this terrible advice about breaking up the vaccines, which we know is a terrible idea because that's going to lead to decrease uptake overall. The more visits you have to go back to us like you're going to do it. Yeah, so the more likely you're not going to be vaccinated. But but it made me wonder why this is happening now, why they decided to make this pivot, and I wonder what you both think about that.
Speaker 7: My theory is the link with fevers. If I'm being really conspiratorial, I would say that they're going to try and link vaccine induced fever to autism, and they're going to say, oh, we thought it was the title and all, but it turns out to be the vaccines. It's the fever, and the fever is caused by the vaccinees. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 13: My theory is gender. I think that telling pregnant people to suck it up is when you've got you know, your dude's all standing on the podium there right, Like the majority're pregnant people are going to be women. It's something that men have been doing to women for millennia, Like it's a safer bet then yeah, your kid might die, but you know, you never know.
Speaker 14: Yeah, yeah, which actually is you know that brings up another thing I think we should talk about, which is what Trump kept saying. Trump kept saying don't take it, but what's the worst that happens? Nothing bad will come of it, So it invokes this precautionary principle, which is like, you know, why not avoid the talent all, what's the worst that can happen? And that doesn't work here, No, because we know that people are taking this for a fever. Talme law is not good for inflammation, doesn't work on inflammation the way advilabbiprofen does it, but it can work on a fever. And we know that fever can have some risk at least as much, if not more than tilnol in harm to the baby and harm to the pregnancy. So to me, the precautionary principle just doesn't apply here. And to hear the president, I never heard a president give medical advice before like that. It blew my mind. I felt like I was disassociating while I was watching this. I'm like, this cannot be realized. He said it so unequivocally, don't take talentol, just sec it up. And I tweeted something that I read from doctor Glockenplocken, who's one of my favorite medical comedians. But he said this will kill people, and I do agree. I think people were very incredulous when I said this will kill people, and they were like, what do you mean people dying of a fever. I'm like, yeah, kind of like fevers can be really bad for you, and if you're not going to hospital and the only thing you have is talentol, it's a really good idea to take the talentel. And there's some people that don't go to hospital for lots of reasons, and fevers can kill you.
Speaker 7: They just can't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So I.
Speaker 7: Disapprove of the Canadian and englishmen referring to the hospital as hospital. They need you guys to refer to it as of the hospital.
Speaker 13: I've forgotten about that. Yeah, always for the definite article.
Speaker 7: Yeah, taking it to a hospital, Thank you guys.
Speaker 13: But yeah, I think you're right, Like there is no like no harm option here, right, Like that is a damage is done when people don't take this, right.
Speaker 7: I just imagine this poor mom you know at home, you know, doesn't have great healthcare but does have a bottle of talentol and is battling a sorry I'll americanize this, like one hundred and four degree fever. Thank you don't make me do mad? Yeah, you're going to make me do mad, you know, And and you know it's it's around that one hundred and three hundred and four mark where we actually get really worried about the person's brain. We get really worried about their health and what's going to happen, and what would happen to that person in hospital? They would absolutely get talent al right away, prescribed by a doctor right that moment. And so I worry about this. I worry about this mom presenting a hospital with her fever, she's pregnant, and the doctors say, okay, we're going to give you talanol and she says, noah, right, what because I don't want I don't want my child to have autism?
Speaker 14: Because people are listening to this guy. First of all, again the hospital. Second, they're going to listen to this guy.
Speaker 12: It's insane.
Speaker 7: People are really going to take this advice. And I could see, you know, especially the more Trump following people saying you will never give me talinl not in this hospital, right And so so it does sound silly that not taking talanol could kill you. But if you're so scared of talinal because it causes autism, that you don't take it when it's recommended to you by where it's prescribed to you by dark you could die. And I won't be surprised when there are more fever induced deaths in twenty twenty five and twenty twenty six in the United States. I already have the CDC Wonder Data search ready to go because I study mortality all the time, and I am absolutely sure we're going to see a few more fever induced deaths than we would have previously.
Speaker 13: Geez, yeah, maybe like we can finish up by explaining to people, like, you know, if you're talking to someone in your family, right, someone who maybe isn't a listener sadly to either of our podcasts. I know this isn't directly the area either of you specialized in, but from what I understand, pregnant people like the way that drugs are categorized, as we spoke about earlier on. That's not like, yeah, go ahead and take all of these right, there's like probably fine if you have to, probably a bad idea unless you really need to, like maybe some straight up don't. Yeah, can you explain that for people?
Speaker 7: Sure? So there's a classification system and it's technical, but it's exactly like that. There are very few medications that are like totally fine. These are medications that are given during pregnancy that have been well studied in pregnancy. But for the most part, pretty much everything else in my world of psychiatry, you know, SSRIs and antipsychotics and benzodazepines and whatnot, they all have the same classification, which is basically contraindicated. Don't take it unless your doctor persuades it for you. Now, we still get pregnant people with depression and psychosis and who need all these medications, and so we do have to interpret it based off of the data that we have, and the data that we have always comes late, so if we find a problem, it's found too late, and generally it's precautionary. So typically I don't know cave if there's a similar thing in GI work, But like for me, I'll get a call all the time. Well, we have this woman, she's thirty two, she's really worried. She normally takes antidepressants, but she's thinking about stopping them because she's really worried about passing into her baby or whatever. And I'm like, how bad is the depression? Well, it was really bad. She was hospitalized three times and nearly died. I was like, probably want to keep antidepressant treatment going and just let her know that there could be some harm to the fetus. But depression is way worse. And if we just go with God, you know, do your best.
Speaker 14: There are certain medications where we are going to say you, absolutetion, take these during pregnancy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you should.
Speaker 7: Discuss that with your obstrician. You to talk that over with your.
Speaker 14: Gynecologist and your primary care doctor. You should talk it over with your medical team. That's great, but every medication has some small amount of risk, some larger than others. But it's really about the risk versus the benefit. And this has been well studied by the experts, and what you've heard, what those people have heard from Trump and RFK Junior is well outside of the normal recommendations right from the experts like the ACOG, the American College of Obstetricians and kind ofcologists, the people who have been keeping our pregnant patients alive and relatively well for many, many years. This is well outside of those recommendations. And while it's an interesting topic and I think maybe you know, sure, i'd like to see more studies on it. I'm never going to say don't study this more. I would say that the preponderance of evidence and scientific belief and medical belief in this one goes against what they're saying, and I would say, at least talk it over with your doctor. If you have a question, talk it over with your doctor. And that's you mentioned it before. Town Law has sort of like, you know, try to hedge its bets by saying talk it over with your doctor. But the reason they do that is they know most doctors are going to be reasonable about this and follow the scientific evidence that's there. So I would say if they really have a question, they shoul talk about with their doctor.
Speaker 7: Because Trump, whether or not they love.
Speaker 14: Him or not, this is well out of his range of understanding, and he is getting It's like a game of telephone. He's getting a version of the medical information transmit to him by RFK Junior, who is getting a weird version of it from his belief system. And it's being supported by people who are there solely just just there to do the back and call of Trump at this point, and that's super dangerous. And so if they can keep an open mind about it, talking over with their doctor, continue to do what their parents did. I think they're going to be okay.
Speaker 13: Yeah, real quick, because like for reasons that if you related to the way that we do healthcare in the United States, people sometimes are retident to talk to their doctor, unable to talk to a doctor, reliable sources of medical information. That is the shit that you find on Google. Give us a a five minute primer.
Speaker 7: Yeah. So you know, in almost every jurisdiction there is an official health agency that you can go to their website and get good health data. So in BC we have Health Length BC and there's a number that you can call to speak to a nurse. In America, you have great I would say it used to be great. Like Cleveland Clinic used to be really great, but they got a little hokey. I would still say, you know, there are some really good American places that you can go. Male Clinic has a lot of public facing information that has pretty good general descriptions. But just make sure it's from a place that is official, because there is a whole space now that's going to be opened up because the second part of this presentation that RFK gave was about a generic medication that might help some people with a very specific form of autism. And I promise you the amount of huckstering that's going to happen based on that. The alternatives. You know, we made a joke about lemon water before the ad break, but there are to be people who are going to be selling the alternative titalinol that is autism free, and that's really worrisome.
Speaker 14: Yeah, Be wary of anyone that has something in their Instagram there to talk their wellness post that uses the words detox. Be wary about ancient remedies. Be wary about anyone that is selling something like doctor Oz, who, by the way, sells a version of the full linic acid or the lukovorin that they're talking about here, So be wary about that.
Speaker 7: We don't sell shit.
Speaker 14: Be wary about people like doctor Baccarelli, the dean of Harvard Epidemiology, who, by the way, I've heard is a good doctor from the friends I have in Harvard, they say he's not a bad guy. But be wary about the fact anytime you see someone's making one hundred and fifty thousand dollars off of court trial to sue tailanol and has a vested interest in these things, so you should be wary about those things. That's definitely something to look for in if you're looking for trusted source. Speaking of hucksters, you could listen to my podcast The House of Pod anywhere you find podcasts where we're going to talk about medical stuff just like this, and I will bring you trusted sources.
Speaker 13: Beautiful. That was all a long play to get to listen to Kave's podcast, But.
Speaker 7: I'm in it for the long con. I'm in it for the long con, buddy.
Speaker 13: Yeah, thank you for helping us clear that up a bit. I think it's a real rough time for healthcare in general, and especially people with autism, like like well nero divergent people. It really fucking sucks to see the entire federal government bad mouthing people. So, yeah, we are thinking of you.
Speaker 7: Very similar to the issue with trans kids. Like I'm a Canadian, you know, and we have right next door to my province, Alberta, which is very much taking the route of Florida and other things with respect to trans policies, and it's just got to suck to be a trans kid in Florida right now. It's got to suck to be a trans kid anywhere in America right now, knowing what's coming down the pipeline, and it'll be the same for people with autism and families with autistic kids.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yep.
Speaker 14: I could conservatively complain about this for another three hours.
Speaker 13: Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 14: We didn't even talk about hepatitis B. By the way, we didn't talk about hepatities people. We can talk about this on the point. There's just so much. There's so much, and it's so terrible, and you're absolutely right, it's really like for that community right now.
Speaker 7: By the way, I wanted to debunk something because it's been said multiple times.
Speaker 13: Yeah, yeah, I get it.
Speaker 7: RFK and a whole bunch of people have said, I didn't know anybody autistic when I was you know, when I was a kid or whatever. I've never met someone autistic my age. Donald Triplett was the very first person diagnosed with autism in nineteen forty three, I believe nineteen forty three. He just died last year. I think he was something like eighty ninety years old. Okay, autistic people are old too. This idea that there aren't old autio fistic people is so asked backwards. It was just not diagnosed. Yes, and and and it's it's such a shame because when when when Donald Tripplett passed, you know, like people in psychiatry notes, that's not the type of thing that people in the world noticed. But he was the very first autistic person. He lived a full life, he was an engineer. He had autism, it was diagnosed. He was the first ever case diagnosed. And he also lived a life. And and so for for RFK to just erase him completely and say I've never known an old person to have autism, it's just ridiculous.
Speaker 13: Yeah. And if you conduct yourself as Rskade does, but being a piece of shit to neurodivergent people, then even people who who have been diagnosed, I'm just going to be like, hey man, yeah, I wanted to talk to you about more because you're being a turd to them, and like you're being unkind. Yeah, Like what do you expect?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean yeah, Tyler grand In is like how old is she now, like in her seventies. I mean, it's it's absurd to think that this is a totally new thing.
Speaker 14: I mean it it also tells me that he was probably a bit sheltered and it probably didn't meet enough people.
Speaker 7: Wow, Kennedy sheltered.
Speaker 8: Wow.
Speaker 13: Yeah. Yeah, he's had a different experience of life than any of us. It's fair to say.
Speaker 7: I got through the whole podcast without making a Tyler and All pun. I'm very proud of that. I usually do pretty much every time, and it kisses my wife off so much. I'm really proud of you, man. I showed a lot of growth.
Speaker 13: Yeah, yeah, that's great. I was gonna make one, but I thought I didn't want to want to offend. Yeah, thank you very much. Where can people find both of you on the internet if they'd like to, oh, you know, in person?
Speaker 14: Don't find that as You can listen to my podcast, The House of Pod. Anywhere you listen to podcasts, you'll hear people like James, you'll hear people like Tyler. Last time Tyler was on was actually for episode two eighty four. We did an episode on Adult ADHD with author Rex King. She's Brad so that's a good episode to listen to. And you can find me on Blue Sky at CAVEMD. I still have a Twitter account and Instagram account, but I don't really use those that much, so find me on Blue Sky, Blue Sky by the way, as a shout out, as a plug. I think it's good for science if you're interested in science based stuff. It may not be that much fun for everything else, but at least in terms of like if you want to follow doctors scientists, that's a good place to go. That's where a lot of us have gone. So I'll be there at Blue Sky.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and I'm I am still on Twitter Tyler Black thirty two. I'm slugging it out. It is a lot of hate and a lot of death threats now, especially as I've I've been on a few trans podcasts, I've been on quite a few medical anti vacs and vaccine podcasts, So you know, I'll pop up from time to time on a podcast or something. But I'm not really have anything to plug anymore. I'm just really hoping that we can continue to fight this sort of It's a really disgusting reality in this decade that misinformation has won the day and literally misinformers are the political leaders now, and misinformation has just eroded science to the point where I don't know if America is ever going to get it back.
Speaker 14: Yeah, if we do. This has set us back many years. This has set us back many many years.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it's pretty bleak.
Speaker 7: Well that was fun.
Speaker 13: Let's send on that hopeful note. Yeah, all right, hey everyone, it's James here. We promised that we would get you something on the changes or lack thereof after Donald Trump's series of executive orders targeting certain groups, and we reached out to a lawyer, Moe, who is a fantastic lawyer, and we asked he into you them. They said they had just done an interview with Final Store Radio, which is an excellent show, and they suggested that I take listen to that. I took a listen to that, and I think it's a fantastic interview and I don't think as much as that we can add to it. So we're going to re air that interview in full. The one thing I would add to it is that there have been a number of cases recently where grand juries have not returned an indictment. That's relatively rare, but we are seeing that more frequently, and that just enforces everything that most says here, which is that at this time we still have separation of powers, and at this time the executive cannot simply make law. One still has to be prosecuted according to a statute by a district attorney or a USA attorney. Right, they President cannot just make law in this instance pertaining to the First Amendment by executive order. That doesn't mean that they will not be harassment. And as you're here here, there's two distinct things, and I think MO gives an excellent outline on how we should think about and conceive this moment in American history. So, without any more of me taking your time, this is an excellent interview that bursted with MO. I hope you enjoy it, and if you would like to check out Final Store Radio, you can do so using the link that I will put below this episode.
Speaker 19: Could you please introduce yourself for the audience with any name, pronouns, location, or other contexts that would help us understand who you are.
Speaker 10: Good morning. I'm Moura Meltzer Cohen. Everybody calls me MO. My pronouns are they are MO. I'm an abolitionist, an educator, and an attorney in New York. Primarily I represent people who are arrested in the course of justice struggles and do advocacy for incarcerated people and movements.
Speaker 19: So we're here to talk about the recent White House statements following the assass I mean, I mean following the reelection of Trump, but more recently the assassination of Charles Kirk that Antifa is domestic terrorist organization.
Speaker 7: Can you talk about what.
Speaker 19: Legally changed with the executive order of September twenty second of this year or yesterday ism when we're recording this National Presidential Security Memo number seven titled countering Domestic Terrorism and Organized Political Violence. Again, it came out on September twenty fifth, What changed with those?
Speaker 10: Well, Before I answer that question, the first thing I want to say is nothing that I say on this program is legal advice. This is information. If you want legal advice, I vigorously encourage you to have a privileged conversation with a human attorney who is admitted to practice in your jurisdiction. As to your overall question, what changed legally is essentially nothing. I think the top level takeaway here is that these exists executive orders are frightening. They are a frightening contribution to an already dangerous political discourse, and they may very well end up being quite disruptive to left movements, including I think primarily centrist liberal movements. But nothing that was legal last week is illegal this week. Certainly not because of those statements. And the state cannot prosecute you for things that were legal when you did them. So yeah, I mean, I can't see the future, but as of right now, the law and the constitution have not changed. So if this administration wants to in any meaningful legal way designate anyone, any group as domestic terrorists, they can change the law, which is not going to be quick or easy, or they can dispense with the law. But under the current legal regime, there is no mechanism that would make it illegal to be and to whatever that means, or to hold anti fascist values, or to assemble or to petition the government. And you know, to be clear, not that doing any of those things or being any of those things are necessarily effective at creating social change right now, but my point really is they're not illegal.
Speaker 19: Just to sort of throw this back your way, So there was when you were responding to that, it made me think of there's a veteran who lost a bunch of his property during the Helene hurricane that is, you know, about a year ago hit this region. He was recorded like he went pretty viral calling out and shouting down a state politician who had a like public meeting here in the area, just saying there's been like total like lack of support after the storm and hear all the needs and you're just a lying politicans and this sort of thing. The same man, right after the executive order that Trump made about burning US flags, went out and burned one across from the White House and then he got arrested for it. Like I thought that there was a Supreme Court decision back in the eighties that said it's not actually illegal to burn a flag. So does that make his executive orders now law?
Speaker 5: No, there is.
Speaker 10: A Supreme Court decision. It's called Texas v. Johnson, and it is still law. And in fact, after Texas v. Johnson, Congress actually tried to make a federal statute criminalizing burning the American flag and it was found on constitutional It is astonishing and illuminating that that man was arrested for burning an American flag, which is absolutely constitutionally protected conduct. I will say, I'm not sure what he was at actually.
Speaker 20: Charged with, right if he was charged with, you know, creating a fire hazard, I suppose that apart from the fact that it's clearly First Amendment retaliation.
Speaker 10: I suppose that you could be criminally charged with creating a fire hazard in a public place or something like that, but no flag burning remains protected regardless of what the President or Congress says about it. It would take either an amendment to the Constitution or a very serious change in Supreme Court jurisprudence to make flag burning illegal.
Speaker 19: Okay, Yeah, so this is the distinction I'd love for us to get back to in a moment between like legality versus what, you know, the sort of like box that that powers decide to put a thing into. Like I know, I've I've definitely been totained, not for being an annoyance to the cops, but within my legal rights. But they'll say, ah, but your shoes untied on a Tuesday whatever, and then waste my time.
Speaker 10: Let's talk about that. And because I do want to talk with more specificity about these specific executive orders and statements, and also about what legal mechanisms do exist that are and can be and have long been used to surveil and disrupt and target the left. But actually, before we do that, why don't we talk about sort of some of the categories that are played in playing here and be really clear about definitions, or at least understand that there are differences between these categories, right, because there is a difference between the law and political discourse, and there is a difference importantly between law and power. And there's certainly, at least on daylight, between the legal constraints on state power and the state's power to ignore those constraints. And then I think what will be significant to this discussion is there is a significant difference between antifa, which is a set of practices or beliefs that are not necessarily even all that well defined, and what this administration refers to when it uses or deploys the word antifa. And there is yet more difference between the booking man that is being invoked by that word and the individuals and organizations that the administration actually intends to target. There's a difference between political targeting, surveillance, disruption, and prosecution, right, those things are all different, And there's a difference between prosecution and conviction. And there is an important difference between someone's political belief and associations which are and remain protected by the First Amendment and politically motivated conduct that is illegal. So you know, executive orders and these kinds of statements on national security are policy statements. They don't in and of themselves make things happen. They don't in and of themselves change the law. And an executive order that is inconsistent with the constitution or existing law at least ought to be unenforceable.
Speaker 19: Okay, but yeah, but recognizing that that distinction, you know, cops are going to cop, investigators are going to investigate, and those processes are disruptive for people whose lives they're affecting. They can affect your job prospects, they can affect your housing stability. They can affect whether or not some unhinged person decides to attack you because they've heard some conspiracy theory about you. But so that distinction of like, well, you might get exonerated by a court after you've been held in pre trial for a year, I guess that is an important distinction, right, because it means you're not spending you know, an extra thirty years or twenty years or whatever behind bars.
Speaker 7: With the terrorism enhancement, well.
Speaker 10: I mean that is also called comfort. I'm really not trying to be dismissive. I think it's important to recognize what these distinctions are and the primarily because I want people to understand what exactly we need to be prepared for and what we need to be worried about, and what tools we have and what tools are effective at resisting what's coming down the pike. And in order to do that, we need to know what's coming down the pipe. We need to know who actually has power in this situation. The fact that an executive order doesn't change the law does not mean an executive order will not result in a lot more state repression, or that it won't disrupt movements or even ruin lives. It doesn't mean that Trump is not going to a comp the thing that I think he's actually trying to accomplish here in the immediate short term, which is broadcasting to his base that non state action against people identified as or perceived to be part of the despised group you know is desirable by this administration will be condoned by this administration. I think that is important to recognize. Saying that it doesn't change a law does not mean it is dangerous. I just want to be very precise about I think the ways in which it is likely to be dangerous, and some of the ways that it might not might not be. And again I'm not trying to be dismissive, but state repression exists all the time. State repression against leftists and anarchism in particular has been ongoing the whole time. This is not a Trump thing, And in fact, I think it's important to note that the executive who's probably most responsible for having laid this groundwork is Biden, who set forth a policy strategy that focused on funding the federal targeting of what at that point he was calling political extremists, which was a label that was being applied to groups on the left as well as neo Nazis and all right groups. So this administration has already been engaged, and not just this administration, right, we have centuries at this point of targeted disruption of left movements. The way that it's currently being rationalized is a little bit different. The way that it's being broadcast normalized is a little bit different, but it's I will say, I don't think this is actually anything all that new or different, And the difference in how dangerous it is is one of scale maybe rather than it's a difference in scope, Rather than nature.
Speaker 19: I think, yeah, I think that's an important distinction. I think that like sometimes people in the center and even sometimes people on the left will look in particular things that Trump administrations do because they are obfuscatory, they're like confusing, and they're bombastic, and there's a part of us that we'll say like, no, but that's that's not what's actually happening, that's not what actually was the motivation for that person, or like that person voted you know, Republican in the last election. Whatever. And so I think that that distinction that you're making of you know this, this may not this may be like an approach to motivate the base, it may prove not to be legally like standing, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't have an impact on people. And what we should be looking for out of this is a projection of not only like all call to action or red meat for the base or whatever, but also like a clear proposition of that's meant to chill us and chill some society, that these are the intentions moving forward. This is the narrative, and this is the story that they're going to be going.
Speaker 10: With right absolutely, And I think it is important to point out. Right now, we're seeing a lot of people pointing out the hypocrisy and the sort of the fact that these rationales are really untethered from factual reality. And I suppose that's true and important to note, but pointing out the hypocrisy is not going to be particularly useful. I mean, I think it's part of the point, right Manipulating the facts, making narrative claims that are totally unsupportable, and muddying the waters in this really fundamental way is part of the project.
Speaker 19: There was a German jurist I guess who became the highest jurist during the Nazi regime in Germany, but continued writing theory like was writing it before as a member of the Conservative Revolution that they called it, and then afterwards he survived the war and continued living in Germany writing Carl Schmidt, who talked a lot about like the limits of liberal approaches towards legality and liberal governance, with a belief that like it makes sense to push it to its limits and beyond break it and recognize that governance is about the imposition of power and the sheltering of those who are under the controller or in the protected community of the state with a consideration of war through the state's power against internal enemies as well as external enemies. And this is the devil's bargain that we make. It's like Hobbs on steroids. And it feels like a lot of the stuff that the Heritage Foundation and Project twenty twenty five has been pushing is that they have this. I know that there are some theocrats in that movement. There's the unitary executive theory that a lot of them have been pushing, and they'll play with this idea like the Trump administration will play with this identity of the King King Trump or whatever the on as it were, like making these executive decisions and being unbeholden to anything else. And they've actually been like, you know, saying to courts, you can't stop us from deporting these peoples who with unsafe third country whatever, stop us. I wonder if, like I wonder if you have any comments on this, if I'm coming out of left field or what.
Speaker 10: Well, look, I'll say this for Carl Schmidt as opposed to the Heritage Foundation, he was at least intellectually honest.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think that we are in this moment where they're trying to normalize what we Schmidt would have called like a state of exception, where they're sort of unbridled executive power and the sort of suspension of any constraints on state power.
Speaker 10: Right. And it's funny because I've been in conversations over the last months where I'm talking with a bunch of my friends, none of whom are particularly enamored of the current legal regime, and we're talking about how dangerous it is that the administration is dispensing with the rule of law, you know, And it's sort of amusing for a bunch of anarchists to be like, oh, no, the rule of laws collapsing. But when I'm talking about the rule of law in this way, I'm really talking about constraints on state power, and those are what's collapsing. And that's exactly what Schmidt envisioned and argued for. Frankly, and I do think we're seeing that. I think one of the things that I noticed in some of these eos, especially the couple of statements from the last few days, is he keeps talking about things like love of God and Christian anti Christian sentiment, which is I mean, you know, this is entirely incompatible with the First Amendment, which provides no state shall establish your religion, right. I mean, we really are outside the contours of recognized you know, legal norms, constitutional norms, and I think a lot of this stuff is functioning and is meant to normalize this kind of discourse and to inject it not only into the exercise of government power, but to normalize it in terms of what people understand to be legitimate legal discourse.
Speaker 19: Kind of shifting a bit like let's get into some of the implications of this. So if it hasn't changed law, but we recognize that practices and culture are being shifted. I've heard of a bunch of people getting fired and getting docsing attention. There's a website now I think called like who Killed Charlie Kirk? Are the people who killed Charlie Kirk or something like that, and maybe an app. It's kind of like the post Charlie Kirk assassination version of Canary emission. Does this mean that police are coming after people for sharing memes? Is that happening? Is that what's happening in these cases?
Speaker 10: I mean police have always been coming after people for sharing memes. I would say, I get calls at least every month from people who have been visited by federal agents because they said something on the Internet that was upsetting to somebody else and then they reported it, and the FBI is just following up on a tip. But that said, this doesn't vitiate the First Amendment. Let me say that in human.
Speaker 12: Language, thank you.
Speaker 10: This does not undermine the First Amendment. The First Amendment still exists, and all of the legal framework around having the right to say things as long as those things are not true threats, that still exists. So it is not unusual for people to be targeted or monitored or visited by law enforcement, but typically that stuff doesn't actually really go anywhere. I am concerned about people being subject to doxing and having negative social content sequences and fallout from this kind of stuff, and it certainly is you know, can be life ruining. Again, I don't mean to trivialize the effects of this kind of retaliation social retaliate, but it is not the same thing as a criminal prosecution or a criminal conviction. It's a different set of mechanisms. Now, one thing that I do think is interesting is that these eos and the statement that came out on the twenty second and yesterday particularly identify certain modes of that kind of social conduct that you're talking about, like dotsing swatting, right, which is making a false report of like an ongoing violent crime so that a swat team shows up and raids somebody's.
Speaker 12: Home, which could be deadly right, This is.
Speaker 10: Very dangerous and interestingly to me anyway, there are these specific behaviors that are identified and condemned in those statements, and those specific behaviors are largely tool of the right. People on the left are not notably interested in sending law enforcement to someone's house. So there is a perverse way in which this may end up being sort of protective, I suppose, because I think it would be very difficult for the government to go after the people who are exposing ICE agents, which again is not illegal right now. Even if it were to become illegal, it isn't right now, and it would be very hard for them to go after those folks and not also go after the folks who are running that silly website about people who say something mean about Charlie Kirk.
Speaker 19: Yeah, I mean, I guess to me, And this is the speculation outside of like legal advice or any not that we're giving legal advice, but outside of like the legal.
Speaker 10: Framework, definitely not giving legal advice.
Speaker 19: I mean it kind of points to a thing that already this hypocrisy or this difference between what it's called when one party does it versus what it's called when another party does it, like outside of the fact that the government gets to do what it was wants to until the government stops itself from doing a thing. I mean, it feels like it's a part of the creation of a differentiated subjectivity. Like there's the subject of the state that falls under the values that are being attacked Christianity, whiteness, heteronormativity, these like patriotism in these certain ways versus the people that are doing these same things but are corrupt, are dirty, are outside our internal enemies, are Soros funded. However we want to like that. But yeah, I guess that's not I mean, that's this is nothing new. It's just an amplification of that same right.
Speaker 10: Yeah, very much. And you know what is changing a little bit, although all of these threads have been present, is that this administration is rationalizing this particular kind of targeting with respect to in particular Palestine, solidarity movements, gender and unconforming people, and what they're calling anti buzz. So, you know, we're seeing we've been seeing congressional investigations, the allocation of funds to federal law enforcement, purging not just individuals, but whole agencies that the administration feels are insufficiently aligned with its priority replacing federal law enforcement that and I mean ranging from FBI agents on the ground to doj with people who will enthusiastically and blindly pursue these priorities, and using a lot of resources to target the nonprofit text status and funding of groups identified as being aligned with any of the disfavored movements. And one of the things that they're doing is kind of it's this real spaghetti, you know, throwing everything at it, and it's very overwhelming. It's overwhelming for movement infrastructure, it's overwhelming for legal for people on the ground, and it's all happening at once, and I think it's all being it's mutually compounding, it's mutually reinforcing, it's demoralizing, and in particular, the stuff that's happening with immigration is so devastating, and because immigration is so wholly under the control of the executive. That is an area where he's able to sort of make a policy and make it so and have it be carried out by FIAT. And he has made his own private army with ice. And I think one of the effects that I in just in my observation, that that has had is that people see that happening and assume that he has that level of control over everything else. And I do want to point out, like, again, it's absolutely devastating to see what's happening in the immigration space, but in fact he does not have that level of control over the ret of government and over non immigration laws, and I think that's really important to remember.
Speaker 19: Yeah, it seems about pushing boundaries and experimenting. There's a lot of people that have talked and not to get too far down the road with this, but like with the like attempt to normalize sending national guard or sending active military to different states, or federalizing national guards to be present from different states in these places, almost like if it's constant and like overlapping enough, then eventually just military being on the streets generally rousing houseless folks is going to be a normalized thing.
Speaker 10: Man, I'm in New York. There's military people in all price like that got very normalized post nine to eleven in certain places. And so you know, again this is not to say that it's okay, but it isn't new.
Speaker 19: So to get back to antifa, Sure, Antifa, Antifa. How is the administration identifying Antifa and the left and what are they actually dismantling and attacking. I'm thinking like he loves talking about bilfunds or like lgbt QIA, youth advocacy organizations, secularist groups, like yeah, what's going on?
Speaker 10: Yeah, well this is this is where things get really fun. Most of the groups that are actually being targeted are not remotely related to antifa. George Soros is not antifa, the various legal defense funds are not Antifa. Antifa is the rationale, but not the reality. So one of the interesting issues here is that a significant group of the people who really need to be very worried are people who work in the nonprofit sector, in extremely normal and liberal community advocacy organizations and NGOs. And these are people who have nothing whatsoever to do with Antifa by any stretch of the imagination, who are being attacked, whose funding is being attacked who are primarily I would say at risk, not because they have engaged in anything approaching unlawful conduct, and frankly, I think the biggest risk for many of those people is the anticipatory compliance of their funders. We have seen a really similar thing happen with universities, where universities have been targeted by the state, by the federal government and have been accused in particular of anti Semitism, and frankly, I think it would be the work of an afternoon for general counsel at any of these universities to point out that, in fact, there is a legally established difference between anti Semitism and anti Zionism, that criticism of the nation state of Israel is in fact entirely legally distinct from criticism of or threats against Jewish people. And if any of these universities actually bothered to challenge these allegations, I think that they would win in court on the law.
Speaker 5: And what we're.
Speaker 10: Seeing instead is the universities declining to challenge these allegations, settling out of court, paying large amounts of money to the allegedly aggrieved parties, and capitulating in ways that are unnecessary unwarranted, not legally justified, irrational, and seed more ground, not just more ground than is legally called for, but more ground than is even being asked for in these cases. And so you know, this is to me one of the great dangers of normalizing these discourses is that these large institutions are engaged in acts of self preservation that actually undermine civil society, when even a small amount of courage would go a very long way to preserving it.
Speaker 19: I think we also sort of saw this in the early days of the administration with legal firms that had brought challenges to the administration in the past backing down or refusing to offering their fealty or whatever to the administration. And we're seeing it now also with some of these large media corporations silencing some of their pundits or whatever, or in some cases, I mean it's clearly quid pro quo because they've got, you know, a merger that's being discussed by the FCC at the moment.
Speaker 10: Well, what we've seen, though, we have seen a lot of that sort of craven capitulation. But what we've also seen is when we fight, we win. Now, I'm not trying to be a Pollyanna about this. What I'm trying to say is the demands that are being made by this particular administration are actually so far beyond the pale that based on our legal regime as it currently is, when we fight, we win, and so I think it is very worth reminding people that, however imperfect the law is, the current state of the law forbids much of what this administration is doing, and it is actually worth standing up to it. There are other groups of people similarly who are not related to Antifa, and one of those groups is toasters, like including boomers, who are on Facebook and Twitter making jokes about how the right it's so hypocritical, and those people are getting targeted, and I would just gently remind everyone that the First Amendment does still exist and that the solution to repression is not self censorship but courage. And also, as I have said many times, including to you on this program, discretion is the better part of valor, and not everything needs to be said on the internet, so maybe think about it before you post something that you would not like to hear read back to you by a humorless prosecutor. Then we have these other groups that are engaged in exposing law enforcement, which I referred to a minute ago. And I think the groups that are exposing ICE are definitely going to be targeted have already been targeted for that activity, but it sort of remains to be seen how that can happen while also protecting Canary mission. Right then, we have groups that are being perceived as or identified as Antifa, who are the people who are like doing food not bombs and community gardening and cooperative bookstores and prisoner letter writing, all of which are extremely First Amendment protected activities and all of which are not only likely to be highly surveiled, are already highly surveiled. And this is the group of people who I think are actually probably most used to this and best prepared for it, and also might be really hard to prosecute effectively because they're not doing crimes. And you know, like the NGOs that we were talking about, the biggest point of exposure for all of these groups is likely to be financial. We can certainly anticipate that the state is highly interested in looking at all of our bank records, to the extent that our bank records exist.
Speaker 5: With all the.
Speaker 10: Money we have, right like, we're all handing around the same staff of twenty singles to each other. But hey, you know wirefraud. What I can say is that you know, something like a bail fund, and you know, community support funds do need to be very cautious. That has already always been the case, And this is a really good time to hire a CPA to go over your books and to make sure that you have kept really meticulous records, to make sure that if you have raised money for something, you have only used it for the thing that you said it was going to be used for. And this is once again something that largely is a feature of far right organizing.
Speaker 20: Right.
Speaker 10: I don't know if you remember, but Steve Bannon was actually prosecuted for wire fraud because he was raising money to do something.
Speaker 5: Build the wall.
Speaker 12: Build the wall.
Speaker 10: He was raising money to build the wall, but not using it for that purpose, which is wire fraud.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 10: So if you run a bail fund, presumably you already know that you have to be very careful about how you raise that money and how you monitor and track and use that money. So most of the people, I would say, the overwhelming majority of people who are sort of going to be subject to this kind of monitoring A have already been subject to it, and b haven't actually done anything unlawful. And you know that doesn't mean this won't be disrupted. It just means, Look, I'm not naive enough to say that your innocence will protect you, but it's a good start. And then we have folks who maybe actually do engage in unlawful conduct or revolutionary action, or people about whom that claim could somewhat credibly be made. And that's actually just a different a different group, right, And those things were illegal last week and they're illegal now, and they're not more illegal because they're politically motivated. Right, Although you know there are terrorism enhancements and sentencing enhancements and things like that. The fact is, like, you know, it can't be more illegal to spray paint Free Gaza on the side of a building than it is to spray paint I Love Trump on the side of a building. Right.
Speaker 19: I mean, what whether or not this like pans out in the courts, right is one thing. But I know that like, say, for the library case that happened here where people were arrested because some people were filming in this like Palestine related workshop in a public library and they were asked to stop filming, and then a scuffle broke out and a phone got knocked to the ground and people got apparently dragged outside. Again, I was not there for this, but like now the people are facing like people who were in the crowd, who are not the people who were filming or facing charges of ethnic intimidation. That's a very specific case in a different jurisdiction from where you are practicing law. But it's not just about like what's being charged against them isn't about assaults per se. It's this enhanced politically driven statement based on the rhetoric that's you know, based on the politics.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 10: Absolutely, And I'm glad you pointed that out, because I certainly do not want to suggest that politically motivated prosecutions don't happen. They absolutely happen. These reset statements don't change the way in which they happen, right, And there are ways of targeting people for prosecution based on their politics, and those have those are again not new. I think the point that I'm trying to make is that I don't think this has changed substantively. Yeah, like the fact that the President said at a domestic terrorist organization just doesn't really change the legal landscape. This has been the targeted surveillance of the left, whether you call it anti FA, whether it's the Green Scare, whether it's the Black Liberation Army. This has been a priority for decades of administrations. More and more legislation has been developed to criminalize garden variety protest conduct. We saw that a lot around Standing Rock and BLM. More and more resources are allocated to testing creative strategies for monitoring and criminalizing political activities. You know, again, state repression and the tools that are used in the service of state repression are just not new. And the fact that you put out these statements is maybe a good reminder that we should be circumspect and aware of repression and prepared to bear up under it.
Speaker 19: So is the RICO sixty one Atlanta case a model for what we see moving forward at a federal level in relation to these domestic terrorism charges, conspiracy, racketeering, the focus on bail funds, and other abolitionist infrastructure, civil liberties organizations like Section H of that September twenty fifth statement refers to the Attorney General pursuing quote, politically motivated terrorist acts such as organizing docs and campaigns, swatting, rioting, looting, trespass, assault, destruction of property, threats of violence, and civil disorder. Like, I know those are all things that you know, they've already got charges attached to them. It's just these are now being framed within the framework of being terrorist acts. But you know, you said, like these practices of attacking adjacent like supportive movement and civil society organs is. It's not in and of itself new, but it seems like the framing, especially with the Atlanta case where the process Cuters brought up at the beginning Eric like they gave a Merriam Webster Dictionary definition of anarchism and then said, all these people fall under this umbrella because they all have this ideology, therefore they are a conspiracy. Is that what the administration is trying to do? And is that different from what they've already done at a federal level.
Speaker 10: So, first of all, I do think that that's very likely that they will try. I think this is signaling a real interest in that. I don't think that's particularly new, but I think that it's clearly being prioritized. So let's talk about Rico Rigo. Let's talk about Rigo Briefly, RICO is the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act, and it was enacted in I think nineteen seventy to go after the mob. Right, it was to go after crime families. But it's been used against so called gangs and other politically motivated prosecutions for a long time, and so RICO has really used to kind of criminalize whole communities. But it requires that an actual crime has happened. Right, Association or ideology in itself is not sufficient, So it requires an actual crime has happened. And it also requires an quote an enterprise, like a coordinated enterprise. And because the First Amendment protects association and a large diffuse group of people sharing values is not an enterprise. You know, I'm not sure. It's not a straightforward path to say we want to use REGO in a politically motiv motivated way and to actually be able to capture this group under a net. Right. That's like, you know, saying we want to go after Antifa is like saying we want to go after people who like cats. Right, there are people who like cats, but they certainly aren't coordinating together. I suppose that there are actually people who would say, like, yes, I identify strongly with this set of values, but it's not a membership organization, and it would, I think, be very difficult to mount a prosecution, or to mount a successful prosecution on the basis of what are clearly First Amendment protected beliefs and associations. And there's pretty good law on this point, actually, and it comes from an effort to prosecute a bunch of anti abortion protesters under RICO and the court said you can't do that. The fact that there's a large group of people who happen to believe the same things does not mean that they are an enterprise. So look, don't get me wrong again, this would be hugely disruptive, but it would be very difficult to sustain an effective prosecution or obtain a conviction if there was one competent investigator, prosecutor judge or jury member anywhere along the way. But yes, hugely disruptive if they managed to do it. I would like to know something about the Stoff cups city Rico. That's important. So first of all, yay, all those all those charges, those Ricos were dismissed for legal reasons of being utter bolts. And I know that. You know, there's some concern that that will be appealed, but I think it is worth noting and celebrating that when we fight, we win.
Speaker 5: But sort of more to.
Speaker 10: The point in this context, I do want to note that Georgia's RICO statute is different from the federal RICO statute, and it's actually even worse than the federal RICO statute, and it still couldn't be effectively used in this way. And also federal RICO has often failed. Right, Efforts to use federal RICO in a politically motivated way have also failed. So if you look up like the Ohio seven, which was a fairly early effort to bring a politically motivated RICO that did not go great for the government. So yeah, I think that's important to note about RICO.
Speaker 19: So you mentioned this like FBI designation earlier, it had been for a while, I think under I thought this came up under Obama, but maybe it came up under Biden for the prosecution of January sixth, But anti government extremists, which included militia movements and also anarchists, it's been shifted to far left extremists. In the verbiage of the boj and who they're pursuing. Anti law enforcement and anti conservative attacks have been framed as you know of considered effort by far left extremists in the media and also like by these institutions as they're you know, moving forward before they actually make any arrests or whatever, and through their prosecution, sometimes using terms like you know, antifa or trantifa or whatever sort of motivations they're giving. I also wonder if you could say a thing specifically about this sort of framing that is being given again, that is, like, like I was thinking about this before more recent mass shooting events that have happened, or before the hullabaloo around Charlie Kirk's assassination and the shooter, the alleged shooter's relationships to other people, that there seems to be this considered effort around clinically framing and politically flaming, framing transness as a mental health issue but also as a political extension of woke gender ideology that's coming for your children. And it's like, it's it's interesting because like, in order for people in a lot of cases in the US to be able to gain access to medical care that they desire or need around maybe gender dysorio or some other experience. They often have to use these like clinical terms for what they are experiencing and why they need medication for it, and not faulting people for making that approach, because you need the medicine that you need.
Speaker 12: But now this is.
Speaker 19: Being turned around and reframed as therefore, if people need this stuff and they're making this argument, therefore they have some sort of mental deficiency or some sort of issue which is being used in order to challenge people's right to keep in bear arms under the Second Amendments, or saying that people are like because of their transnits being motivated towards this attacks like I don't know if you have anything to again, not exactly like not exactly a legal issue, but I don't know if you have any observations.
Speaker 10: Well, I mean, I guess when it comes down to it. Just to be very clear, the DSM makes it very clear that for that being trans is not a mental illness, that gender dysph you is distress caused by discrepancy between the assigned gender and your actual gender, which would exist if any CIS person were being treated as a gender that they didn't identify with right, that would be a distress that would arise for any person. I think that there are real problems with the sort of clinicsization or medicalization of gender affirming care. But I do want to be very clear that that does not have to and does not formally or officially include pathologizing trans identity. That's something that's being imputed and being imposed, but it has no basis in clinical practice. Not that that necessarily matters to the government, but I do think it's important to point that out. I think, given that previous efforts to restrict gun ownership on the basis of previously diagnosed mental illness have not been super successful, I don't know that this one will be either. But again, this is an issue of power and less an issue of law or logical coherent legal philosophy.
Speaker 19: So this term has been coming up a lot of you know, with Trump or the administration talking about domestic terrorists, there's been a lot of pushback back from the legal community or from civil libertarians saying, what the hell are you talking about? Can you talk about, like what it means to be called domestic terrorists? What changes that makes in like how the law approaches he or how you can be convicted.
Speaker 10: Yeah, gladly. So at this point, what it means to be called a domestic terrorist is actually nothing. There is no legal procedure for designating a domestic terrorist group or for designating a domestic group a terrorist organization. And given the current law on the matter, even with this Supreme Court, I think it would be very, very difficult to change the law in the way it would have to be changed in order to make that designation. There are ways to freeze the assets of a domestic group. There are ways to posit or show a connection between a domestic group and a designated foreign terrorist organization, which is a real thing that has legal effect. There is a way to financially designate a group or an individual, as you know, having this kind of relationship to a foreign terrorist organization or an FTO.
Speaker 5: So, but there's no legal.
Speaker 10: Mechanism for designating a domestic terrorist group. That's not a thing. So this is a place where the government could simply dispense with the law. But I do not think this is a place where the government can use the law to create a category of domestic terrorist organizations. And just to like explain FTOS a little bit, there is a category of organization that are designated by the State Department as quote, foreign terrorist organizations ftos are designated by the State Department, and they are listed on the State Department website. Right, it's not a secret who they are. You're not going to suddenly find out that, you know, you gain money that to I don't know the Greek equivalent of the ACLU, and now it's you know, it turns out it's an FTO. There are certainly cases where the government has successfully claimed that a connection between a domestic group and an FDO exists, even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. And if you have a connection to an FDO, you can be prosecuted for what's called material support for terrorism. And it's a very serious charge. It's a very frightening charge, and it does criminalize a lot of things that most people understand to be protected by the First Amendment right. It criminalizes providing things like medical care to certain groups. It criminalizes providing education or legal support to certain groups that are designated foreign terrorist organizations. And frankly, this is the idea that on pens material support for terrorism charges is offensive to many people because it does feel very much incompatible with constitutional norms under the First Amendment. It's an important thing to be aware of, but it would be very surprising to me if the government were able to successfully make broad claims connecting quote Antifa to foreign terrorist organizations.
Speaker 19: I was when you were saying that that had me thinking a little bit about the Holy Land five case. I was trying to remember that example. I guess like to be labor this. Can we talk about the distinction between domestic terrorist organization, which is a classification that doesn't exist, versus the charge of committing terrorism because people who get terrorism enhancements at least like the Marus Mason one example that comes to my mind, right, who is a member of cell that was associated with the Earth Liberation Front, like so that that person got over two decades in prison based on being convicted of crimes that existed and then getting enhancements based on the definition that those were terrorists, amplifying the amount of time.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 10: The difference is the difference between criminalizing conduct or defining conduct as being terroristic, and criminalizing a group. The First Amendment protects freedom of belief, association, and expression, and that means that however much we might be targeted for our beliefs, associations, and expression. We cannot be prosecuted criminally for anything besides our conduct, our actions, And so there can be terrorist offenses and enhancements for sentencing on the basis of conduct that you are convicted of. If you engage in se illegal acts and a judge determines that those acts were motivated by desire to do terrorism, that the penalty for engaging in those acts can be enhanced. But you cannot designate a group, a belief, or an expression as being a crime in itself unless there is conduct associated with it. Because we don't criminalize people's identities. I mean, we do criminalize people's identities, but it's we don't say the impermissible to prosecute people for having those identities.
Speaker 19: I guess I have note as I understand the terrorism enhancements that the prosecutors are pursuing in the Luis gim Angioni case have been dropped. Is a thing that I heard, yes, which I mean at the same time, this is referenced in one of those documents that came from the White House as being a terroristic act.
Speaker 13: So yes, what are.
Speaker 12: The courts know?
Speaker 7: Okay, thank you? For making that distinction more clear.
Speaker 19: All right, So, how might those of us on the left or in justice movements, as you stated it, conceive of the state's view of us. How do we rally support for our identities and positions? What are some good practices understanding, like, having had this conversation, the terrain on which we're operating.
Speaker 10: Absolutely so, I guess what I would say about best practices is understand whether you are at risk, even if you're somebody who has not traditionally been at risk, even if you're someone who has lived your whole life believing that the system works and that this particular administration is like an aberration. I would say, Look, this administration is preoccupied with the funding streams for very mainstream liberal causes, and the fact that it's sort of lumping everything under the banner of antifa, you know, is probably a big surprise for some of these groups, like you know, suburban white moms against guns or whatever. But they are very focused on things like wirefraud and money laundering and stripping nonprofits of their tax status. If there's even a whisper of the possibility that those nonprofits are pursuing goals that are in any way antagonistic to state interests. So if you are in a group that has a bank account or raises money, the best practices here haven't changed. Keep very precise track of your funds. If you raise money, use it for that theyk you said you were going to use it for. Have an accountant, you know, be very very careful about your money. And again the best practices for the rest of us also haven't changed. This is political discourse that reaffirms what we already know about targeted surveillance, and we have for a long time known how to deal with this. If you are approached by law enforcement, remember that the Fifth Amendment protect you're right not to speak to them. You have no obligation to speak to law enforcement. It is a crime to light of federal agents, and that means that it is safest not to say anything. Besides, I'm represented by counsel. Please leave your name a number, and my lawyer will call you. There is truly never a compelling reason to speak to federal agents before consulting with an attorney. The Energy Anti Repression Hotline can be reached at two one two six seven nine two eight one one. You can call to have a free privileged conversation about your rights, risks and responsibilities, and to be connected with appropriate legal resources in your area. And at the end of the day, we keep ourselves safe by refusing to submit to this fear, refusing to comply in advance, refusing to second guess whether we actually have rights, and more importantly, we persist by being confident in the fact that, no matter what, our communities are going to rally around and care for each other.
Speaker 19: I think that would be a great place to tie up. Thank you so much for having this conversation and for the insights that you've shared, and for the work that you do.
Speaker 10: Mo. You're very welcome. It's always a pleasure.
Speaker 17: Happy g October everybody.
Speaker 13: Oh, shut the fuck up, we can't.
Speaker 12: This is that could happen here?
Speaker 17: Executive Disorder our weekly newscast covering what's happening in the White House, the crumbling world, and what it means for you. I'm garouson Davis Today, joint by me along Jamestown and Robert Evans. This episode recovering the week of September twenty first to October first, and what a week it was. Yeah, it does not feel like it should be October but who cares. I guess the government's shut down right now, So all of the dozens of anarchists around the country are rejoicing, uh huh, as the Senate has failed to pass a short term funding bill.
Speaker 1: That's right, everyone, we did it. We defeated the state using the power of the state.
Speaker 5: State.
Speaker 17: Yeah. In many such cases, as the government shut down, Trump is threatening mass layoffs, and Republicans are framing this whole shut down as being caused by Democrats who are trying to defend healthcare for quote unquote illegals, which isn't real. Undocumented immigrants do not get federal health care. That's not even what the Democrats are fighting for. Would be cool if they were, would be cool if the theory of this country you could just get health care, that sounds nice. Wouldn't that be a cool, almost utopian place to live. But that's not what's happening. And the rights confronted with this, but they just do not care. Here's a Mike Johnson, Speaker of the House, on CNN, having a little debate about this.
Speaker 21: If that counterproposal was enacted, is illegal aliens would be paid for American taxpayers hard earned dollars would be paying for benefits for illegal aliens.
Speaker 1: Again, we're not doing that, but it's.
Speaker 5: Against federal law for people who are here illegally.
Speaker 8: To get yes.
Speaker 21: And that's why our reforms are so important to enforce all that. What the important thing to remember is what's.
Speaker 10: Happened the Democratic proposal that people who are here illegally.
Speaker 21: Again, because they don't have the level of specification that we had in our bill, it will unwind that and all those things that the CBO just verified will be reversed.
Speaker 3: We can't afford to do that.
Speaker 21: But that you're making right, No, that is a red herring in this in this debate.
Speaker 17: So what the Democrats are actually doing right now is they're trying to extend the current currently enacted federal subsidies for the Affordable Care Act, which keeps millions of people able to access healthcare. And Democrats are also trying to reverse some of the federal health care cuts, including to Medicaid, which happened under the One Big, Beautiful Bill earlier this year. That is what they are actually fighting for. The White House is retruthing and retweeting proposals from the Democrats that include a health care for aliens. But that's legal aliens, that's like legal documented residents, And they're framing this as health care for quote unquote illegals.
Speaker 13: It's a bad faith representation, as it always is. Like people can go all the way back to the episode that I made with Robert Sophie last year about what Trump might do to learn more about the public charge rule and how that pertains to people who are not US citizens. I don't think we really have the time noise as the place to go over that here. But there is not, and there has never been a massive federal free health care plan for undocumented people. In fact, people who are undocumented are not going to see the doctor right now because of the persistent and untrue rumor that ICE are taking people from hospitals. That is not something I'm aware of ever happening. ICE do take people who are already in their custody to hospitals, and they will wait for those people while those people are treated. That it's not the same as entering the hospital and grabbing peace people based on the immigration status. And I'm aware of several cases where people whose life was genuinely in danger were afraid to go and seek medical attention. Because they were afraid that they would be targeted for their immigration status.
Speaker 17: So we'll see how long this government shut down last. The last one started on twenty eighteen, lasted thirty five days. If this shutdown is still happening next week, I'm sure we will include some details about government services being affected. But this could resolve in a few days, a few hours, or in a few weeks.
Speaker 7: We do not know.
Speaker 17: But luckily, not all is depressing and dark in this country. There still is a ray of hope. And that ray of hope is named Jimmy Kimball, who was thankfully back on the air. I know we've all been watching. We've all been watching this certainly, and next our En Sinclair have ceased preempting his show. That's back on air across the country. Free speech is hashtag. So back in America, provert, Do you want to talk about the Disney plus Voika?
Speaker 1: Yes, So we've gotten some data finally on the damaged on to Disney's result of the boycott. After they fired Monsieur.
Speaker 12: Kimmel suspended, suspended, Monsieur kim.
Speaker 1: Il suspended, suspended, they were definitely going to fire They wanted to fire his They definitely wanted to fire him, and you know, there was a lot of posting online about there was a lot of posting, a lot of posting about people canceling their accounts and people being like wow, and it's I always it's always very frustrated to me because like people get very excited and it's impossible to tell with the moment, is this actually anything?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 5: Yees?
Speaker 1: Sixteen thousand people shared this thing about how the website for Disney was down, but that doesn't mean anything other than like someone saw the website down and a bunch of people shared and posted it. So it was very difficult to tell, like, is there actually any follow through on this is Disney's bottom line being hurt? And thankfully, I'm very happy to say that it does look like Disney suffered a substantial financial setback as a result of the boycott campaign. Something like one point seven million paid subscribers canceled, and this was immediately before Disney was looking to announce a price increase, So like, this is this is like a serious I'm not surprised they reversed. Course, this is like damaging to them. We're not talking about the amount of money that a company like Disney would just ignore.
Speaker 12: Yeah, And I think the most important thing here for all of us, and this is the thing I talked about. We did an episode about this. This is actually before kim Old I've reinstated by Sinclair. But one of the really important things here is that everyone fucking hates this government. They are hideously unpopular. All of the all of their sort of legitimization stuff, all of the sort of media complicity they've bought has bought them about four percent of proof of rating bump from where they were this time of the administration the first time, so he said about forty one percent of poof of rating. Everything that he's doing is hideously underwater. Like his most popular thing is is immigration policy, which is horrible, but it's again like forty two percent. Everyone hates these people, yeah, you know. And it's it's very easy, because of their controlled and media spear, to believe that they have this sort of total hegemonic power over everyone in the US until the exact moment where it gets challenged and everyone's like, wait, hold on, no, it turns out most of the country hates this. Does not what Jimmy Kimmel acts from Disney.
Speaker 17: Like comrade Kimmel has joined the fight.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 12: Yeah, there are more of us than there are of them, and there always have been, and.
Speaker 17: By more of us, Mia is referring to herself and Jimmy Kimmel as a coherent political class.
Speaker 12: Just for the record, there no.
Speaker 1: The only two members of the coherent political class.
Speaker 5: But that's good news.
Speaker 12: Just the state which holds me up to Kimmel and.
Speaker 1: Entirety of the fourth Estate. But I don't know, there's a little bit of good news for you. A bunch of people got really pissed at something blatantly anti First Amendment, anti democratic, massive overreach of the state, thought crime, nonsense, and the company suffered such dramatic within like literally in the space of a week. That's three hundred and thirty million or so million dollars a year that Disney lost that even Disney can't ignore that kind of money.
Speaker 12: Oh looks like regular people.
Speaker 13: Yeah, yeah, like people who subscribe to Disney bluss.
Speaker 17: Yeah, an army of ordinary liberals, the actual like silent majority in this country. Yeah said no Disney, Like.
Speaker 1: Well, that's gross and scary. I'm not paying Disney anymore. Yeah, and it's good that they did that.
Speaker 17: Currently, the rights trying to manufacture a counter boycott against Netflix for having children's shows with non binary characters, mostly using clips the children's shows that are like two or three years old, clips that Limbs of Talk Talk has already posted years ago. Now try to write check and others are recirculating these clips to be like, yeah, look a look at how Netflix has gone too far as pushing woke nonsense down the throats of your children by using like ancient clips from like the Jurassic Park TV show Like okay, guys, good luck with that.
Speaker 7: Have fun.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 17: In other news, the Department of War. This actually happened last month. On September fifth, Trump signed an executive order approving the name the Department of War as a secondary title for the Department of Defense to use an official correspondence, public communications, ceremonial contexts, and non statutory documents within the Executive Branch, while the administration also works on changing the name officially through Congress. Hag Seth nearly immediately switched all of his accounts and his office name plate to read Secretary of War.
Speaker 13: Yeah, you know, he pushed hard for this one.
Speaker 17: Defense dot gov now redirects to War dot gov and they're just referring to this in all public appearances as the War Department, something that we've talked about on the show before of them wanting to do and they're going to continue to push this and using this kind of war framing for domestic operations.
Speaker 12: Yeah, not just international deployments.
Speaker 13: This was its historical name right like way way before it was a DoD Yeah. Yeah, it was, so just to be clear for people, that doesn't mean that it's like a good reason to change it back.
Speaker 17: Trump truthed last week quote at the request of the Secretary of Homeland Security, Christ you know, I'm directing Secretary of War Pete Hagsath to provide all necessary troops to protect war ravaged Portland and any of our ice facilities under siege from attack by Antifa and other domestic terrorists. I'm also authorizing full force if necessary. Thank you for your attention in this matter. War ravaged Portland. How's it hanging out there for our Portland correspondence.
Speaker 1: It's fine. It's kind of rainy. I had a nice tapas dinner on Sunday. It was pretty good.
Speaker 12: The crows are really nice.
Speaker 17: What it does, does someone want to mention, like the nature of the anti ICE protests happening in like one square block in like the south water front of downtown Portland.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's in the South water front McAdam is what people here call it, the neighborhood where the ICE auxiliary facility is. And there have been protests off and on pretty much since Trump took office. Usually on like a good night you get maybe one hundred and fifty two hundred people. There were some nights kind of around where things blew up in LA that there were more like five or six hundred people out for a couple of days. There really hasn't been any of the like what we were seeing in twenty twenty in terms of like the mass mass gatherings. And you know, there has not really been much in the way of like people getting arrested. Generally getting arrested for crossing a line that separates federal property from like state property so to speak, and like step over it and then a bunch of guys run out and grab them, right. That's that's mostly what the arrests are for a lot of people have had charges dropped. I mean, people get fucked up charges when they get charged, but a lot of them are not really sticking because they're not very strong, like because it's just not much going on.
Speaker 17: Right, Yeah, we'll talk more about why Trump thinks there's this apocalypse now scenario happening in Portland. But yeah, so far the protests have been relatively mild.
Speaker 12: Yes, Yeah, the vibe is very much like the classic Portland thing of people with like holding doughnuts on fishing lines out in front of the cops. Right, it's like that, not like molotovs.
Speaker 1: The response has been crazy, Like there's a video going around that's a bunch of federal agents. I think they're fps rolling in up from a van from outside of the ice facility and arresting somebody who again probably crossed a line or through something generally is why people have been getting arrested. So that the response has been nonsense. That that video is from recently, and I'm seeing it attributed to Trump's declaration of war. But like I saw stuff like that three months ago, four months ago, Like it's been happening every day, like they do roll up in their vans when they because they periodically throughout the day will have Feds come in to go grab a couple of people. And that this is a thing they've been doing, so they've been so far at least, I have not seen either an escalation on the ground really in terms of like what protests, what the protests are doing, and the numbers of protest since Trump's declaration. And I also really haven't seen an escalation in what's being deployed on the ground.
Speaker 17: We have not seen the Oregon National Guard presence that is being promised now this has just been DHS officers.
Speaker 1: I can confirm, just based on some information that's come my way, that there do seem to be an increased number of DHS Blackhawks flying with their transponders off. Yes, there's a couple of reasons they can do that. Some of them is for if they are transporting like high value quote unquote deportees, right, people who are being deported for some sort of serious crime. Some of it is if they are feel like they are under threat and are doing like emergency personnel transfers. They're not generally supposed to fly without their transponders, although again, you can't really trust anything to work the way it's supposed to work. But there is some evidence that they have been ramping up and they have been flying more MQ nine's over the city reaper drones for surveillance purposes, so that I can say to it does seem to have been a degree of escalation, but in terms of we're not seeing troops marching through the city yet, and I honestly can't, it doesn't seem to me, as of the moment that we're recording this, that there has been an escalation and the level of force used on the ground right now. That said, the level of force use on the ground before Trump declared his war on Portland or whatever, it was still pretty extreme. That has continued. I just it doesn't seem like what's happening right now is a massive increase over where we were two weeks ago, you know. That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 12: And I think the place where that has happened is Chicago, and we will get to that later.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah. Well.
Speaker 17: Trump has continued to talk about deploying quote unquote troops to US cities, including at a meeting of top brass on Tuesday, September thirtieth, where Pete hag Seth basically ranted to top of generals and admirals about no more wokeness in the military, but Trump also spoke telling top military officials to prepare to deploy military to liberal run city, calling it a quote war from within. Let's play the clip.
Speaker 8: But it seems that the ones that are run by the radical left Democrats, what they've done to San Francisco, Chicago, New York, Los Angeles, they're very unsafe places, and we're going to straighten them out. It will be a major part for some of the people in this room. That's a war too, It's a war from within. Controlling the physical territory of our border is essential to national security. We can't let these people.
Speaker 13: In the two separate issues they have that he conflated, right, protests in cities and people crossing the border.
Speaker 17: Yeah, and that's the way Trump's been talking about this for a while. I mean, same thing with like DC right, combining this like crime issue with undocumented immigration, and also with protests against ICE operations targeting undocumented immigrants, all kind of bundled together into this into this war from within.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 13: I mean the ration issue, right, is one that gives him a much broaderly way and the powers the constitutionally available to him as the executive than policing with the military, which is on the facefoot of thing that shouldn't happen in the United States. It makes sense from a tactical perspective for them to conflate those two things together, I will say, even if it's not particularly real.
Speaker 17: During this televised meeting, Trump told military leaders quote, last month, I signing an executive order to provide training for a quick reaction force that can help quell civil disturbances. This is going to be a big thing for the people in this room talking to the generals, because it's the enemy from within, and we will have to handle it before it gets out of control. It won't get out of control once you're involved.
Speaker 7: Unquote.
Speaker 17: They're directly addressing admirals and generals about them having to help form a quick reaction for us to quell civil disturbance, which won't get out of control once they're involved, calling it again the enemy from within, align that Trump used a lot during the tail end of his presidential campaign in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 12: Yeah, which is just it's every single element.
Speaker 17: If it is just fascist, it's it's pretty it's pretty blanket authoritarian stuff. Like there's no like sugarcoating it here. Oh yeah, Yeah, they don't need to use coded phrases, right, they just say this stuff.
Speaker 12: Yeah, No, they're just yeah, they're just this is this is just fascist, Like they're just trying to do it.
Speaker 13: Yeah, they're just saying the thing.
Speaker 17: In the meeting, he explicitly labeled these dangerous cities as a training ground for our military National Guard.
Speaker 8: But I want to salute every service member who has helped us carry out this critical mission. It's really a very important mission. And I told Pete we should use some of these dangerous cities as training grounds for our military National Guard. But military because we're going into Chicago version. That's a big city with an incompetent governor. Stupid governor stupid.
Speaker 12: And I think it's worth noting both the mayor of Chicago and the governor Prits have been very unhappy about this. Like as much as Pritzker has kind of not been doing anything about like CPD aiding ice in raids, he is absolutely not budging at all about not putting National Guard troops in. So if they're very serious about following this through, we're going to see some kind of large scale confrontation.
Speaker 7: Yep.
Speaker 12: And Pritzker is not the kind of like knock needs Uh, Gavin Newsom type governor.
Speaker 13: Yeah, he's not Gavin Newson.
Speaker 12: He's not simply just going to let Trump do this. And yeah, that's going to be a major source of confrontation assuming this, assuming this specific like we're going to send the National Guard in the Chicago stuff like happens soon.
Speaker 17: Trump also talked about talking with Tina Kotec, governor of Oregon, about deploying Oregon National Gardener, and her pushing back against that, but ostensibly acquiescing in some way because there's been an announcement from the organ National Guard that they will be deploying and people in Oregon probably aren't gonna be happy about it, they won't understand the mission. But during this meeting, Trump did talk about his phone calls with the Oregon governor.
Speaker 8: Portland, Oregon, where it looks like a war zone, and I get a call from the liberal governor, sir, please don't come in. We don't need you. I said, well, unless they're playing false tapes, this looked like World War two. Your place is burning down. I mean, you must be kidding, sir. We have it under control. I said, you don't have it under control, Governor. But I'll check it and I'll call you back. I called it back. I said, this place is a nightmare. Probably it's certainly not the biggest, but it's one of the worst. Is brew They go after our ice people, who are great patriots and tough job too, but they love it. They love it because they're cleaning up our country.
Speaker 13: And I think because there's a fifty thousand dollars sign up.
Speaker 17: Well, unless they're play false tapes, so the tapes aren't necessarily false. But if you're watching Fox News twenty four to seven, what Fox News is doing is they're playing a lot of clips not from the Year of Our Lord twenty twenty five, but in fact from twenty twenty when Trump's last federal invasion of Portland happened, where he deployed Bortac, which looked much more like a war scene. Do you know why, because of the massive amounts of chemical munitions that Bortac like caked downtown Portland in which made it look very similar to a war scene. So, yeah, those are the clips that are playing NonStop on TV. I've been watching Fox News clips. They're just playing clips of Portland twenty twenty to make this look like a different situation than what the current on the ground situation is, which may have some intense moments, but not nearly the intensity of five years ago, which again was stoked by Trump's own military police force, which was deployed to the city.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, there's information that Trump got corrected. Internally, I don't know that I think that that's going to mean anything, but yeah, six year old footage, five year old footage being used to justify military deployments about you'd expect.
Speaker 17: Really literally, yesterday I saw footage circulating on x the Everything app of someone throwing a Molotov cocktail into a street.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember that Molotov. I remember that molo, that malotav getting thrown half a decade ago.
Speaker 17: It only hit another protester whose feet got very badly burned. Yes, And that's the type of footage circulating that makes it look like, you know, once again, Portland's burning down, Portland's always burning down, using like one or two select clips from yeah, half a decade ago.
Speaker 1: Again, no buildings actually burnt down.
Speaker 13: Yeah, they've created a reality around what happened important in twenty twenty that you will never change with facts or evidence. Right, Like to people who watch Fox News. Portland was burned to the ground in twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: And on the worst nights in Portland, we could go three blocks and get food from a food cart.
Speaker 12: Yeah, we got a lot of great Chinese food.
Speaker 5: That stuff.
Speaker 1: We've got great Chinese food, schwarma, you know in La.
Speaker 13: When the city was whatever under siege. I went to Buffalo Wild Wings and pretty pretty normal Buffalo Wild Wings at two am on a Wednesday scene.
Speaker 1: That's a war zone. That's a war zone.
Speaker 13: I had my plague carrier on. I was ready to go.
Speaker 12: Here's some ads.
Speaker 17: We'll be back to talk about Chicago. But enjoy these possibly Buffalo Wild Wings sponsored ads.
Speaker 13: I doubt it. No vegan food. All right, we are back, sweet, and it's good to be back. I want to talk very briefly about Pete egsass sec war as he is calling himself now right in the little speech he gave Pete Pegs he's he's working on his physical fitness for sure, his bod that he put a big emphasis on physical fitness in his speech, along with grooming standards and other shit.
Speaker 17: Male standards.
Speaker 13: Yes, everybody has to attain the male standard for the various role of their combat roles that if they want to do that, right, So that would mean, you know, the Army Physical Fitness test, right, whatever the male standard quote unquote was would be everyone's standard. I don't want to go deep into hegseth career that would be that would be another episode, possibly of another show. But I do want to talk about the stuff. Did you notice he said no more. He listed number of generals, but one of them was Milli, Right, he said no more Millis Chiarelli, and I forget who the other one was, But I thought that was interesting given what we saw Trump say about a QRF. Right, Milli had a long career in the military. Right, he saw plenty of combat and all that stuff. But I think he's most well known to most people for his cooling effect on the use of the US military against protests in twenty twenty ls. I think that is what that was referring to, Right that Hegcess was talking about removing that kind of person from command.
Speaker 1: And Milly also said no to Trump when he wanted to deploy for and he was also working behind the scenes. He's admitted now with Pelosi being like, we need to have a plan if he tries to use the nukes after the election.
Speaker 13: Yeah, Milly was doing everything he could to mitigate what he saw as a massive danger of Trump responding in a completely disproportionate.
Speaker 17: Way, a legitimate national security and danger.
Speaker 13: Yeah, yes, yeah, like, yeah, someone whose job is protecting the United States like that, that's some reasonable concern. Was a reasonable concern at that time. Obviously, the Trump administration does not want people like that in command anymore, and that was something that hegxcess spoke about at length. The rest of his speech focused on shit like fitness standards, shit like grooming visible tattoos, a bunch of stuff that you would expect from a mid career infantry officer who hasn't had a particularly distinguished career, right, Like, that's the shit that mid career infantry officers do.
Speaker 17: I think you mean war fighters, James, which is Haig Seth's preferred term for soldiers.
Speaker 13: Yes, fuck me. Yeah, Well, because it's gender neutrals start that.
Speaker 1: They've been doing that for a while.
Speaker 13: But yeah, it's on the MRIs, it's been on the Emeris for a while. But yes, Haig Seth does like the phrase war fighters. His stuff was, like I said, not something you would expect from someone who I think he was an O four in the national card, right. I don't think any of that is particularly new. He issued a number of directives. One thing I did want to talk about was this change in grooming standards. So the War Department has issued a new directive on shaving profiles. What this does in practice is we can see from their announcement, which features prominently a black soldier shaving, is it takes away long term shaving profiles for soldiers with medical conditions such as pseudopholic gulitis or exma, or other soldiers who experienced skin irritation by shaving.
Speaker 14: Right.
Speaker 13: Previously, those soldiers may have had a like a waiver which they could show to their officers, and their officer said, hey, soldier, why haven't you shaved? Soldier, sailor, emon, Space Force guardian, whatever, why haven't you shaved? They could say, well, I'm on the shaving profile because of this condition that I have. Now you will only have a year and then you will have to somehow rectify that condition. They talk about treatments a little bit in this, So now it's on which you can read if you want, not going to read them out for you, but this will very clearly target black service people the most, and I don't think that's a coincidence. And as we see from the picture of the black soldiers shaving in the in the release that they sent out there, this is happening at the same time as arrested his stuff, right, and at the same time as we've seen trans folks removed from the military. As heg Theft, seems to be going pretty hard on removing women from combat roles. He's previously been more out right in that this time he's in his speech he was talking about how women, if they could meet the same standards as men, would be welcoming combat roles, but they wouldn't quote unquote lower the standards. The whole thing was pretty remarkable to see, heg Theft lecturing, you know, people who have spent collectively maybe hundreds of years in combat.
Speaker 17: Right, people have spent decades losing wars. Yeah yeah, decades of period of time.
Speaker 13: Yeah yeah, I mean centuries between them, right, But explaining how warfare works to people who have vastly more experience in it than him, yes, and basically telling them it's not a myth that we haven't seen from fascist states before. Right, the soldiers were fine, but they were betrayed by the politicians in the generals. Yeah, yeah, yeah, this is nothing new. Yeah, but it was still kind of remarkable to see Heigfast delivering it to the generals.
Speaker 17: And specifically, both he and Trump made statements about if the generals and animals do not like what Trump and Heksa were saying, they should just resign, they should just leave.
Speaker 22: I've never walked into a room so silent before. This is very don't laugh, don't life if you're not allowed to do that, you know what, Just have a good time, and if you want to applaud, you applaud. And if you want to do anything you want, you can do anything you want. And if you don't like what I'm saying, you can leave the room. Of course, there goes your rank, there goes your future. But you just feel nice and loose, okay, because we're all on the same team.
Speaker 17: Part of this is because Trump just wants more loyalists in the upper grass of the military, like that's part of this process. That's why he doesn't want millies. He doesn't want people that will deny him. He wants just a complete loyalist government, and that includes the military.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 17: And if that means that we're going to have a whole bunch of generals and animals resigned because of hig Seth and Trump's anti woke granting, then that's a desirable outcome for the administration at this point.
Speaker 15: Yeah.
Speaker 17: Speaking of war Chicago, Yeah.
Speaker 12: I mean the scenes that I have seen the most frequently described as war or looking like a war this week, have come out of Chicago, where on Tuesday the thirtieth, there was one of the most brutal raids that we've seen from the FEDS yet in any city. This took place in South Shore, which is a ninety percent black neighborhood on the south side of Chicago, where a whole bunch of immigrants who I don't know if people remember when Texas and a bunch of other states in the South started busting immigrants up to cities in the north. Chicago is one of the ones where that happened. A lot a lot of these people ended up in South Shore, and there was a massive rate on an apartment complex in the South Shore. Agents showed up in a combination of moving vans, sort of unmarked vans and armored vehicles it's still unclear exactly how many people were taken. We so don't know. Estimates at the time suggested about forty. It's very unclear. What we do know about the raid was that it was absolutely brutal. A bunch of a bunch of the initial reports thought that they had been shooting, but there hadn't been shooting. What there had been was that they blew into this apartment complex with flash bank grenades.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pretty common for people to mistake those two.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and these are just you know, these are just regular people who suddenly at one in the morning, a bunch of explosions start going off. There's a whole bunch of pictures that you can see in various articles about this of doors torn off their hinges. The agents did a I think this is a classic Chicago police tactic, but you know, they just went through and just started grabbing everyone's stuff and tearing through it and throwing it onto the ground. There were black Hawk kilicops optors like constantly circling this just random apartment complex. There was a massive FBI presence alongside border patrol and ice.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 12: It's also worth mentioning that Independent book Club Chicago, which is one of the very sort of prominent independent local media outlets. There obtained a picture from a neighbor who was like next to the raid that show Chicago Police Department on the scene, which they are there expressly forbidden like by state law from assisting in immigration enforcement. It is worth reading this article in order to see this quote quote. We did not participate in or assist with any immigration enforcement, spokesperson Maggie he Un said in a statement, followed immediately by pictures that clearly show a CPD car on the scene of this raid. Yeah, this raid is a really significant escalation of force in a cy that has I mean, I've already seen ice literally shoot someone and kill them. But yeah, I'm going to quote this from Tribe, which is another independent news outlet in collaboration with unraffled Press. Veronica Castro off the Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights, at a press conference said quote, this looked like hundreds of masked agents knocking down doors and dragging families out in the middle of the night, holding babies that were unclothed. Castro added, so they are dragging people from their homes in the middle of the night, holding naked babies because people haven't had time, Like they're not giving people time to like even put clothes on something. You see a lot in the accounts of this. I'm going to read some more from an account from ABC. As I got to my unit to stick my key in the door, I was grabbed by an officer and I said, what's going on? What's going on? He never actually told me. He said I was being detained, said Alicia Books. Neighbors like Ebony Watson, say they ducked for covers, they heard several flashbangs. They was terrified. The kids was crying. People was screaming. They looked very distraught. I was out there when I seen the little girl coming out around the corner because they was bringing the kids down too, had them zip tied to each other. Watson said, that's all. I kept asking, what is the morality? Where is the human One of them literally laughed he was standing right there, he said, fucking kids. So that is what these raids are looking like now. It is again also worth noting that like this is this is a very significant escalation of force. They are zip tying children to each other as they dragged them from their homes at one in the morning and saying fucking kids. Yeah, and this also marks what seems to be a pretty large pivot away from the areas they've been targeting before, which had to be the suburbs in the outlying areas, and into very very majority, the majority black parts of Chicago. And we're gonna talk more about this next week with journalists who's been on the ground. Yeah. I mean, for example, a couple of hours before we recorded this episode. So there are sparse details, but there is a video that shows the fat just two hands on neck choking a black man in East Garfield Park. It's deeply unclear why this is happening, but they are just doing this now, and what we have so far, we don't know why they were doing this. But this is also one thing I think is very alarming. This is also reported by Tribe. There is a video from the scene where an agent is recorded saying, just so you guys know, this is not an immigration enforcement action. The agent goes on to say they were responding to a robbery in progress. All we know about is there was a car crash and they just started choking this guy. It's unclear exactly what's going on with this. There probably will be more details by the time this episode is going out, But the Feds are just doing this stuff every day in Chicago, I mean, just randomly choking black people on the street. And this massive, hideous raid and sashore are pretty significant escalations in places that haven't been targeting before or and it's and it's hard to see this ending anytime soon or there you know, things getting any better from here, especially with the sort of you know, as you were mentioning earlier, there hasn't been really any sign of like an intensification in federal violence in Portland, but in Chicago there absolutely has been. And yeah, it's horrible.
Speaker 13: Yeah, So talking of intensification of federal activity, I guess according to a notice posted in the Federal Register, DHS is going to use the Cultural, Environmental and Historical Protection Waiver that we reported about that came out this spring to fall through wall construction in the San Diego sector. I am guessing that in part we will see this used to wave one of the one of the acts that is where it's the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act. And I'm guessing in part that this will be used to waive that right because Kumei ancestors are in these areas and in at the end tail end of the previous Trump administration. I reported on this for Sierra, which is a magazine of the Sierra Club. Kumii people were using ceremony. So they were participating in ceremony every day at construction sites in order to slow down the clock, and they also filed a lawsuit. Right, But they were trying to basically run out the clock on the Trump administration. In twenty twenty, they successfully in some areas prevented some construction, but with the waiver of nagpray, it's hard to see how they will be able to do that. They also wave a bunch of other acts that Eagle Protection Act, Environmental microturt Bird Treatise, a bunch of other acts.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 13: This comes on the same week as Secretary of War headthst restored medals of honor to soldiers at Wounded Knee. If people are not familiar, this is the episode where I do a history of things sort of happened at Wounded Ney Creek. But this was the largest mass shooting in US history.
Speaker 12: This was just a slaughter.
Speaker 13: Yeah, hundreds of unarmed Lacachas. Civilians were murdered by the United States military in the battle.
Speaker 12: This was just a massacre.
Speaker 13: There were significant casualties for the US military, most of them were caused by the US military, a friendly fire and a completely disorganized slaughter of civilians. There was a standoff at Wounded Ney later in the nineteen seventies in which two Indigenous people died one went missing. You can read Mary brave Bird's book about that if you want a first hand of cautfet. It's very good book. But yeah, Hegseth is doing this, I think because Lloyd Austin had previously ordered a review of those medals because they weren't fighting, they were just killing people. Therefore, it makes sense, you know, that led to to strip these these medals of honor, in that there was very little honor in what they did. Hegseth has restored those very amusingly. He said, this is final, like another sec def couldn't just order review like in four years and change it again. CBP has also issued a request for comments here in San Diego about its plans to build seven point six miles of wall west of Dakat, as well as one point three miles of wall east of Dakat, more secondary barrier east of O tim Mesa, and install or maintain fifty one miles of quote barrier system attributes, which may include fiber uptic cables, lighting poles, artificial lights, power cables, surveillance cameras, access and patrol roads, and utility shelters. What this would do. I think most people who haven't spent time at the border in not aware that there are vast gaps in the border wall right, and this would close some of those. There are still gaps east of this area. When a lot of people were entering in twenty twenty three, they were coming east of here in a more mountainous area. But this will close existing gaps in the wall around Takata, around Marin Valley. I imagine that after that they will continue to move east the areas where there are gaps. Some of the areas where their gaps, for the rest aren't that hard to access. Some of them would be very hard to access with construction machinery, and therefore they'd have to spend a long time building a road before they could even begin building the wall. Reuters has conducted a review of more than two million court records and concluded that federal prosecution of drug cases, especially those of high profile traffickers, have dropped to the lowest level in decades. Fell forward again a Ward, Yeah, yeah, I mean normally you would see things like racketeering, money laundering, conspiracy charges, right, but these are down twenty four percent compared to last year. Even ongoing investigations have stalled as a federal law enforcement apparatus is focusing the vast majority of its people on deporting people who have not been accused of any crime.
Speaker 17: Really, and even just like the regular FBI investigative capacity, it has been shifted massive large extents towards just immigration enforcement. So they're not they're actually just not going after as much like actual crime.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 13: I think some agencies, like the Bureau of Alcohol to Back of Firearms and Explosive for example, I think have the majority of their agents tasked to immigration raids right now. The FBI one agent described what he had been tasked with as quote photo op bullshit, which was taking photos of their teams on and before raids for use by the ADF and the White House in social media posts. So they do appear to have I've lost the support of even some federal law enforcement. Talking of federal law enforcement, we have also learned this week about an FBI operation during the Biden administration during which Tom Homan allegedly accepted fifty thousand dollars in cash. What you didn't hear about the Tom Homan back? What a joy to be able to share this with You tell me going to get better? Just just keep it, keep sim adown a Simma down, Sima down, Sima down. So Tom Homan, for those who are not familiar, is Trump's borders are and a longtime border security official dating back to the biad administration. Let's find out about how they got on to Tom Homan.
Speaker 12: Said that there was fifty do dollars in cash, but.
Speaker 13: For what Just wait, wait, wait, wait wait another Obama era I stuffer. Julian Calderas, who agents undercover agents had contacted as part of a separate investigation, repeatedly suggested to the agents that they may wish to bribe Homan in order to obtain government contracts. Cayl Deris repeatedly suggested this to the undercover agents, so much so that they diverted their investigation and set up this investigation. They gave home and the money, but waited to see what he would do in office in order to see I guess they felt would have a stronger case if he came back to them and said, you know, I have these five federal contracts, which one would you like? The Trump DOJ took no further steps to investigate and has closed the investigation. According to NBC, the Trump administration is claiming this was a set up by the FBI. But of course the investigation occurred in September of twenty four, so before the election. Again, it was not an investigation that they started on. It branched off because Carderus repeatedly suggested that they should continue to they should try and bribe home. The agents who did this operation were posing as businessman trying to get government contracts. Right, This might explain so Homan was a big time Trump affiliate, right, big time Trump supporting people were suggesting that he might be made Secretary of Homeland Security. This might be why we will never know official right, This might explain why he's been given a slightly less formal role which I don't believe he has to pass through Congress, which is quite unquote border CZA.
Speaker 17: This is like the level of normalized corruption which exists in every level of this administration is like remember when they just could not stop talking about Hunter hide In. It's like every all the time. And meanwhile you have like, like you know, like all of like Jared Kushner's dealings with like Saudi. Is the Tomhoman getting fifty thousand dollars in cash, Yeah, like undercover and he's just posing us businessman to help obtain like government contracts. It's like an absurd comical cartoon world.
Speaker 13: So it's Keystone cop shit. We don't know if he's given the cash back.
Speaker 12: Oh that cash is oh god, so much cocaine. Like I could either confirm her today it was spent on cocaine. Yeah, a wild instance of corruption. Oh God.
Speaker 13: Finally, I want to talk about Venezuela. In Venezuela, it seems that Stephen Miller has been taking the lead on strikes on a leged drug smugglers. According to a Guardian piece, the strikes have been authorized by the Homeland Security count. Sure, that's a body that Miller leaves, which has massively grown and influence since the Trump administration. It seems like most people in the administration were pretty much kept in the dark about this until very shortly before the strike took place. They were just fined under the Article two Powers, which give the president authority to use force in limited self defense engagements. But it seems like Miller is pardoned the pun driving the ship on this increased violence that we're seeing against Venezuela.
Speaker 17: All right, br back for our final story this episode, We're going to talk about the National Security Presidential Memorandums number seven, titled Countering Domestic Terrorism and Organized Political Violence, which was signed by President Donald Trump on Thursday, September twenty fifth. This relates in many ways to the Antifa Domestic Terrorism Executive Order from last week, but this memo is a lot more clear in outlining actual policy changes that will affect law enforcement investigations. So let's go over the four sections of this very, very long memo. I've tried to condense it down as much as possible, but there is some good information in here too.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 17: Section one asserts that there's been an increase in political violence in recent years, with assassinations and quote unquote riots in Los Angeles and Portland, which have resulted into more than one thousand percent increase in attacks against ice officers since Trump's inauguration two point zero. The memo states that riots and violence aren't organic events or isolated incidents, but in fact, quote a culmination of a sophisticated organized campaigns of targeted intimidation, radical threats and violence design to silence of posting speech, limit political activity, change or direct policy outcomes, and prevent the functioning of a democratic society.
Speaker 12: Quote.
Speaker 13: We've spoken about the statistic about attacks and ice officers before and how that's very misleading.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I mean an ICE officer is attacked when of ice officer's fist encounters the face of a child, Right, that's.
Speaker 13: Yeah, Latino grandmother, Yes, uh, Latina grandmother in that case.
Speaker 17: Well, and a lot of this talking about, you know, riots is not organized events or us at an incidents. What they describe here is this like a culmination of the sophisticated campaign. This is just describing like the process of like what protesting is, right, trying to direct or change policy outcomes, which comes up a lot in these like domestic terrorism laws, which when over applied to just nonviolent acts of speech, just start infringing upon very standard First Amendment activity.
Speaker 13: It's one of the five fundamental freedoms of the First Amendment. Right like the right to assemble the it was several of them, actually, the right to assemble, the right to speak, the right to petition the government like these are fundamental.
Speaker 17: The right to twitch stream at a riot as a free member of the press.
Speaker 13: Yeah, definitely, that's not a right that I choose to exercise, but I guess it is one that exists. But you and I have you were important and I was in Los Angeles. Like the idea that these cities were fundamentally like damaged by these protests, it's just not true.
Speaker 17: Well, and they're not just talking about damage from riots, they're also talking about, you know, effects on individual citizens. This memo describes how these you know, organized campaigns start by quote isolating and dehumanizing specific targets to justify murder or other violent action unquote, claiming that this process happens across quote anonymous chat forums, in person meetings, the social media, and even educational institutions. These campaigns then escalate to organized docsing with the explicit intent of encouraging others to harass, intimidate, or violently assault targets en quote.
Speaker 13: I mean, this is what the Right has done to like exp especially migrants and trand people right for for a very long time. Anonymous chat forums And do they mean a Reddit credits telegram maybe, yeah, I know, I know that some subreddits have been closed since the issuing of this memorandum, which I'm wondering if it is related.
Speaker 17: Not explicitly, but like I think this memos would be in this section like referring to things I can't to ice watch, Okay, yeah, yeah, that makes a lot of sense as well as you know standard like you know, anti fasted action against like legitimate neo Nazis, which yeah, the Right is not against a doxing as a practice, as we have seen a few weeks with the state sponsored organized doxing harassment campaigns against people for their comments about the death of Charlie Kirk.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 17: The memo goes on to list a collection of quote common recurrent motivations and indica or indicators that unite this pattern of violence and terroristic activities under the umbrella of self described anti fascism. These movements portray foundational American principles support for law enforcement and border control as fascist to justify and encourage acts of a violent revolution common threads animating this violent conduct include anti Americanism, anti capitalism, anti Christianity, support for the overthrow of the United States government, extremism on migration, race and gender, and hostility towards those who hold traditional American views on family, religion, and morality. So in so far as this memo has been reported, it's mostly been on this specific section here, listing the indicators that could be driving terroristic acts under the umbrella of anti fascism, including all of these beliefs that people are allowed to hold in the United States due to the rights granted to us and the Bill of Rights in the Constitution.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I mean that the hypocrisy is the point, and it's sometimes not worth it. It's not a point, but it's not particularly you know, it doesn't change anything I'm pointing out, But I will just point out that like the idea that border control is a foundational American principle is not true. That it was not until the Chinese Exclusion Act that the United States began to exclude anyone from coming here, and that was in the nineteenth century. History understanders will have noticed that the United States began at some point before the nineteenth century.
Speaker 17: One thing I will say regarding like this section, some reporting around this memo is framing things like you know, anti capitalism or anti Christianity is now that is going to be used as evidence that you are a terrorist. That is not the explicit way is written about in this memo. These are indicators which if some investigator sees on a Twitter account or a blue Sky account, could then cause them to investigate further into this person or group. But it's not like just expressing these things will itself deem you terrorist and be putting you in jail.
Speaker 12: And this does rely on action.
Speaker 17: Now, the memo does go on to talk about trying to prevent crime before it happens. I think this would be more in the way of how the FBI tries to set up like sting operations or catch people who are planning a violent act before they actually do it, as we've even seen the past few weeks with people being arrested for planning retaliation attacks following the death of Charlie Kirk.
Speaker 12: This has happened now.
Speaker 17: The memo calls for a new national law enforcement strategy to quote investigate all participants in these criminal and terroristic conspiracies and disrupt networks, entities and organizations that foment political violence, so that law enforcement can intervene in criminal conspiracies before they result in violent political acts unquote. So that is the pre crime aspect of this order, which they could use some of these beliefs like extremism on migration or race or gender, or anti americanism as justification to start investigating groups, which then arrests could follow prior to imminent violent act as deemed by federal law enforcement.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 13: I mean, in theory, the role of the effectially federal law enforcement has always been to investigate people who were planning violent or terroristic acts. The difference here is that this is being specifically framed around a certain group, and this probably will lead to more attempts by their more surveillance on people within exactly groups.
Speaker 17: Right now, this is very worrying in terms of like surveillance, suppressing speech, chilling speech, because what they're qualifying as violent or terroristic acts is just ordinary protest activity first, mental protest activity, non government organizations that support progressive causes or values. That's the real concern here.
Speaker 13: It's worth stating here that in Los Angeles, for example, a number of grandeuries did not return indictment of people who were accused of quite serious crimes that the grand jury did not think it was reasonable to indict them for right. This is unusual. Most federal prosecutions do result ultimately in a guilty plea right because they bring very strong cases when they bring them that It's worth noting that the specifically, like the US Attorney's Office in Los Angeles, has not struck the landing on all of its attempts to indict people for things that they did during that time of protest in June.
Speaker 17: In terms of like implementation, the memo says, quote, law enforcement will disband and uproot networks, entities and organizations that promote organized violence, violent intimidation, conspiracies against rights, and other efforts to disrupt the functioning of a democratic society unquote networks, entities organizations. These refer to like established organizations like actual like formed groups that have political activity.
Speaker 14: Now.
Speaker 17: Section two lines how the National Joint Terrorism Task Force will quote unquote coordinate and supervise a new comprehensive national strategy and orders the local Joint Terrorism Task Force around the country to quote investigate potential federal crimes relating to acts of recruiting or radicalizing persons for the purpose of political violence, terrorism, conspiracy against rights, or the violent deprivation of any citizens' rights unquote. The GDTFS Joint Terrorism Task Force will also investigate institutional and individual funders, including employees of organizations which are quote responsible for sponsor or otherwise the AID and EVET the principal actors engaging in the criminal conduct as previously described. That's a broadet, right, There's a lot of this stuff, Like the Anti for Order also alluded to this. Trump's statements made in the Oval Office have alluded to this going after funders, foreign funders, whether that's the groups like the ACLU or like bail funds. They mentioned George sorows very often. Yeah, the Open Society Foundation, right, Yeah.
Speaker 13: I think the right has had a fascination with sorrows for a long time. Right, They've been looking for a reason to either exclude sorrows from participation in US politics and just to be like obviously I think most people realize this, but that that fascination is rooted deeply in antisemitism. George Soros is a Holocaust survivor, and there has been like an attempt to find reasons to exclude sorrows from from US political activity for some time. I think it's reasonable to see this in that trend.
Speaker 17: This sort of like big organizations foreign organizations is also mentioned in this memo and saying the investigation will include NGOs and American citizens with foreign ties that could be in violation of the Foreign Agents Registration Act or quote money laundering by funding, creating, or supporting entities that engage in activities that support or courage domestic terrorism unquote. The memo states that the Attorney General shall issue guidance which ensures that domestic terrorism priorities include quote politically motivated terrorist acts such as organized doxing campaigns, swatting, rioting, looting, trespass, assault, damage of property, threats of violence, and civil disorder. The guides shall also include an identification of any behaviors, fact patterns, recurrent motivations, or other indica common to organizations and entities that coordinate these acts, in order to direct efforts to identify and prevent potential violent activity.
Speaker 7: Unquote.
Speaker 17: This is a worrying list of things that are not domestic terrorism that they're going to try to claim our domestic terrorism trespass. Yeah, like trespassing is now domestic terrorism. That's not a great thing for the Attorney General to be issuing guidance on. Yeah, civil disorder is a very broad and somewhat nebulous term, right, Like, are they gonna call the organized doxing campaigns that the right is doing right now domestic terrorism? No, of course not right, These things are just taking form for explicit like political prosecution, for the political ends of Trump administration.
Speaker 13: I think the goal here, like some of these are reason even a statue, right, Like, I'm not aware of a broad federal doxing statute aside from certain specific instances where it might be a crime to reveal someone's address.
Speaker 17: Violent intimidation of probably like federal law enforcement would be one thing that they go after.
Speaker 13: Yeah, federal law enforcement people with protective orders, that kind of thing, right, And yeah, there are probably ways of doing that, But I think a lot of this is intended to have a chilling effect on speech and organizing.
Speaker 17: Absolutely, the Treasury Secretary will work with ETERN in general to quote identify and disrupt financial networks that funded domestic terrorism and political activity, and shall deploy investigative tools examine financial flows and coordinate with partner agencies to trace illicit funding streams unquote. Again very obsessed with this idea that there's tons of money that is funding ANTIFA, which if you know anyone under the antifam umbrella, you know that they are extremely bro Yeah, yeah, this is left wing protesters are not the most financially stable budget. Yeah, there's there's not this illicit funding streams. This is a huge, a huge idea that the right has like latched on.
Speaker 13: Ironically, this is something that the right shares with the authoritarian left. Actually, the idea that people can't act independently unless there is a large, well funded actor motivating them to act is something that because the authoritarian right and the authoritarian left agree on some things, and one of them is that like people can't take the initiative to act right, that there has to be some kind of vanguard in the case of the authoritarian left, or nefarious funder in the case of the authoritarian right. And so this this lines up with the way that they understand the world.
Speaker 17: I mean yeah, and I was talking specifically here in terms of like regular people on the ground attending protests. There's like big, big groups like you know often like you know, communist line groups that may be receiving funding possibly from foreign sources. Yeah, yeah, yeah for real, But I do not believe that is what this order is, at least this section is actually wanting to go after. That might be what they in the end actually end up targeting, end up sweeping up because it's the only thing that actually has like you know, foreign funding. But like you know, capital a Antifa teenagers with like umbrellas showing up in front of an ice building are not receiving money from like Iran, China or Russia.
Speaker 13: Like, yeah, as you say, it might be large as some policy law center, the ACLU, Open Society Foundation, build.
Speaker 12: Gate Network for Strong Community.
Speaker 13: Yes, like some of these organizations might be what they're trying to drag a net over here.
Speaker 12: Or nonprofits.
Speaker 17: The next section instructs the IRS to quote take action to ensure that no tax exempt entities are directly or indirectly financing political violence or domestic terrorism unquote, and calls for the IRS to refer suspect organizations and their employees to the Department of Justice for investigation and possible prosecution.
Speaker 13: It's probably worth the context here that there was this is after a twenty ten congressional investigation that found out that the IRS had gone after some tea party groups. Right, do you remember the Tea Party? Garrison? You or seven at that time?
Speaker 12: I remember the Tea Party?
Speaker 13: Yeah, yeah, So the feeling here Biden, if you remember, Garrison also hired a number of new IRS agents. There was a conspiracy theory that these were to provide some kind of armed, massive, armed element to the IRS that was going around in the Biden administration. I'm sure the IRS had an armed element, right. There is not a federal investigative agency that doesn't, like the Postal Service has cops and probably a swat team. But there was a feeling on the right that Biden mobilized the IRS against right wing individuals, and I could see this being the old panting I'm swinging back in the other direction a little bit.
Speaker 17: One of the more interesting sections that I've highlighted of the memo instructs investigators to quote question individuals engaged in political violence or lawlessness regarding the entity or individual organizing such actions and any related financial sponsorship prior to perfect communication or initiation of a plea agreement unquote. That's directing like the interrogations of people arrested at protests, like specifically go after who's funding them to be a protest. I'm sure some very fruitful information will come out of referring back to our discussion of like, you know, the common motivators are Indica, including things you know, like anti capitalism, anti Americanism, and how those beliefs in and of themselves I do not think will be sufficient for declaring someone a terrorist and like locking them up. Is because later in this memo, the memo directs investigations to quote prioritize crimes such as the following assaulting federal officers or employees, conspiracy against rights, conspiracy to commit offense, solicitation to commit a crime of violent money laundering, funding of terrorist acts or otherwise facilitating terrorism, areson violations of the u Rico Act, and major fraud.
Speaker 12: Against the United States?
Speaker 17: Quote So could the government use these indicators to then find groups to target, to stick some of these crimes onto groups or organizations. Absolutely, that's probably what they're gonna do. But these these are the things to like be aware of, and they're gonna try to, you know, slap these on people who are just arrested at protests, people who work for NGOs, people who work for legal support networks, maybe migrant assistance networks like that's that's gonna be the target for a lot of these things. And we've seen some of these, like conspiracy charges in San Diego with their with their Antifa prosecution case. We've seen similar stuff in Atlanta with Stop cop City. Right, there is precedent for this. We've seen the state try to and to a degree of success and failure, actually push these charges forward.
Speaker 13: Yeah, the panic that those two cases created. I think we were still pre trial in the Atlantic case.
Speaker 12: Right, the trials in progress.
Speaker 13: Yeah, yeah, sorry pre uh, I guess the conclusion of that trial.
Speaker 17: But the current indication is that most of these record chargers are not going to stick.
Speaker 13: Yes, and most of the conspiracy charges in San Diego did not, right, and most of those people ended up not being convicted of all the things they were accused of. I do see the major fraud against the United States, and I think that's probably going to use against NGOs. I do also wonder they have spoken before about the Payroll Protection Plan and looking at PPP fraud.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I mean financial crimes are always are always really scary, right, like.
Speaker 13: Yeah, yeah, like a lot of nonprofits, you know, like people undoubtedly given a scaled of the PPP people abused it. I think nonprofits would be a lot more buttoned up than almost anyone else in that regard, you know, these aspectly these big liberal nonprofits. But that is an area which I'm sure that the trumpires will be looking at.
Speaker 17: Yeah, and they might even try to slap these on people making jokes or quote unquote threats online right solicitation to commit a crime of violence.
Speaker 13: Yeah, yeah, Yeah, people shouldn't be saying stupid chill on social media.
Speaker 17: Right now, which which is absolutely like a chilling speech, right that is, that's excting speech.
Speaker 12: That is a bad thing.
Speaker 17: But you don't want to give these people extra ammunition to use against yourself right now.
Speaker 13: Fighting words are not always like First Amendment speech right now now, Like I'm no expect in where that starts and where that ends. But yeah, yeah, like in terms of not doing stupid things, like this is not a time to do stupid things on your posting websit of choice.
Speaker 17: Section two closes by calling for investigators in federal police to quote adopt strategies similar to those used to address a violent crime and organized crime to disrupt and dismantle entire networks of criminal activity unquote. So yeah, especially with all this financial stuff, money laundering, rico, conspiracy charges, they're basically using or they want to use like tactics to take down like organized crime rings. Just targeting their political enemies, targeting political organizations and people who attend protests like that is that is the real gist of this memo. Section three instructs the Eterney General to designate qualifying groups or entities under investigation as domestic terrorist organizations per the definition of domestic terrorism in eighteen USC two three three one five, and to submit a list of such groups to the President of the United States. And Section four instructs the Attorney General and Secretary of Homeland Security to designate domestic terrorism a national priority area and provide extra funding for law enforcement to quote, detect, prevent, and protect against threats arising from this area. That is the bulk of the National Security Potential Memorandum number seven, promising to chill speech and go after political opponents and organizations, entities, and individuals and employees of organizations. Yeah, very very undemocratic, very very on its face authoritarian. Yeah, you don't even need like like allegations of political targeting. Like they're writing down how they want to do political targeting, they're bragging about it.
Speaker 13: It's really what briefly want to raise the example of the flag burning. Right, So Donald Trump signed an executive order ordering the Justice Department to investigate flag burning earlier this year. I can't quite remember when. Subsequently, someone called jan Carey of North Carolina was arrested after they burned a flag, an American flag. Just to be clear outside the White House, I guess the flag burning executive order doesn't apply to like you're you know, like anime flag or whatever, specifically about the flag of the United States, something which I think Johnson versus Texas is a Supreme Court case, right, but there is a considerable amount of legal precedent that is First Amendment speech. Kerry was arrested. What is being missed in the discussion is that Kerry was charged with two misdemeanor crimes. One was for lighting a fire not in a designated area and receptacle. The other was for lighting a fire in a manner that threatened to cause damage to a resulted in the burning of property, real property and park resources. These are both offensives that you can be incarcerated or fined for. I want people to know that, right, Like, he was not arrested because of the executive order, although the executive order may very much influenced the climate which led to his arrest in charge with these other things, but he wasn't charged with violating the executive order because that is not how it works.
Speaker 17: They can't change the law with executive orders or presidential memorandums. What they can do is direct how the law will be in four or policy guidelines, right, and that's what this is affecting right now. All of these branches like the DHS, Justice Department, Federal Police are going to be following the policy guidelines and outlines established in this memo to then try to enforce the laws that we have and some of which they will probably find ways to do it and sometimes they won't.
Speaker 13: Yeah, we have a very broad range of statutes criminalizing a very large range of things, and someone will find some way in there to criminalize someone for something that might seem on the face of it to be not nefarious. But that doesn't mean that we have executive legiative fusion. We don't write yourself too prior to the government, and that is important to remember too.
Speaker 17: No, no laws have been changed criminalizing anti americanism, right, Yeah, that is that it is an important thing to keep in mind. That does not mean that this order is not going to chill speech, suppress free speech, or be.
Speaker 12: Used to criminally target people.
Speaker 17: Yeah, criminal prosecutions can ruin the lives of people for years and years, regardless of the actual outcome, right, even if they get off on the charges. And totally we want to be clear that we're not like minimizing the effects of this, but we do want to actually break down what like the threat model is specifically for like NGO's legal organizations that help protesters or migrants, LGBTQ organizations, Right, these are probably going to be the first targets of a lot of like the conspiracy fraud sections of disorder. Besides, you know, protesters that get rounded up and get put into into this like political war game that they're playing, similar to how regular protesters in Atlanta then found themselves suddenly admitst like a three year long reco domestic terrorism case despite not participating in any kind of large organized aspect of stop Coop City. They were just regular attendees. So there'll be stuff similar to that that happens throughout the next few months to years, and I think that is where we should keep our attention focused on mitigating the harms of government overreach.
Speaker 13: Yeah, so for the fun raise this week, something slightly different. I wanted to read of this go fundme for the emergency Circus. They are traveling south of the US border. I believe they're going to migrant shelters in Tijuana to hold circus acts circus performances for kids. I have obviously, obviously, but I've spent a decent amount of my life in refugee camps and migrant shelters and they can be pretty hard places for kids, and it's something that I think about almost every day. And so people bringing joy to their children is something that I think is wonderful and very important. People, you know, get the impression that like legal funds are important and the kids having a laugh is not important, But like children have a right to be children, and that's taken away from them by the immigration system. And so I would like if you supported this. The website is ww dot gofundb dot com slash f slash ec hyphen o f f hyphen ic. It will also be in a show. If you would like to email us, you can do so at our encrypted email address, which is cool Zone Tips at proton dot me. Your email will only be end to end encrypted if you send it from an encrypted email address. Proton mail is an example of an encrypted email address.
Speaker 17: Before we close the episode, I will tease an episode for next week. There was a shooting at a Mormon church on Sunday, which the right briefly tried to turn into like this culture war narrative on attacks on Christianity, and then once information about the shooter became more clear, they quickly dropped the subject. So on Wednesday, I'll be doing an episode talking about this shooting and a few others, and how various outlets on the right end left are only reporting on these big shootings insofar as they can turn them into political weapons against the opposition party.
Speaker 12: We reported the news, We reported the news.
Speaker 1: Hey, We'll be back Monday with more episodes every week from now until the heat death of the universe.
Speaker 7: It could happen.
Speaker 17: Here is a production of cool Zone Media.
Speaker 12: For more podcasts from cool Zone Media.
Speaker 10: Visit our website coolzonmedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you.
Speaker 17: Listen to podcasts can now find sources where it could happen here listed directly in episode descriptions.
Speaker 12: Thanks for listening.