Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: This is the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast. I'm Jonathan Ferrow, along with Lisa Bromwitz and Amerie Hordernt. Join us each day for insight from the best in markets, economics, and geopolitics from our global headquarters in New York City. We are live on Bloomberg Television weekday mornings from six to nine am Eastern. Subscribe to the podcast on Apple, Spotify or anywhere else you listen, and as always on the Bloomberg Terminal and the Bloomberg Business App. Federal Reserve Governor Stephen Maron warning of a possible downturn in the economy if FED policy remains restrictive. Maron taking the most duvish side of a divided FED, casting the loan vote for a fifty basis point raycard at the Fed's October meeting. I'm pleased to say for his first interview broadcast interview since that conversation at the Federal Reserve, the Fed Governor Stephen Maron joins us now for more.
Speaker 3: Governor Maron, good.
Speaker 4: Morning, good morning, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Hey, it's good to see you, as always, sir, So let's spend some time. How did you approach the committee meeting just last week and what was the argument for fifty basis points?
Speaker 5: So I approached it the same way approached the first one, which is that I think that the FED is too restrictive. I think that neutral is quite a ways below where current policy is, and given my rather more seguent outlook on inflation than some of the other members of the committee, I don't see a reason for keeping policy as restrictive for a long period of time as we are. The longer you keep policy restrictive, the more you run the risk that Montaro policy itself causes a downturn in the economy.
Speaker 2: What was interesting about last week, as you know, is that a send cup both ways. We also had this argument from President's Smith of Kansas City FED, who put out a long statement I've cherry picked a quote forgive me. I see the starts of policy as being only modestly restrictive. Financial market conditions appear to be easy across many metrics. When you heard that kind of argument, what was the counterpoint to what he's seeing in markets?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I'd say a couple things.
Speaker 5: First of all, I'd say the financial markets are driven by a lot of things, not just montary policy. They're driven, of course in park by Montori policy, but there's a lot of things that drive financial markets. For example, I think on this program you probably spend a lot of time thinking about AI and new technologies. If you have AI or a new technology, it could push financial markets higher, which would look like an easing and financial conditions, But that doesn't necessarily tell you anything about the stance of monitary policy. Indeed, very often, in response to a supply shock or a positive supply shock, although of course it depends what kind of supply shock, you might think that the appropriate sense of monitary policy would be lower and not tighter all Lse eqal. But of course there's a lot of sort of what ifs and thinking about the type of the supply shock. But I think that it's a mistake to look at financial conditions and sort of conclude something automatically about the stance of monitary policy.
Speaker 4: And I also want to.
Speaker 5: Point out that some of the financial conditions that look the easiest, things like the stock market, things like you know, sort of various parts of credit spreads, you know, those are not necessarily the financial conditions that feed the most into economic activity. Yes, the stock marketing, credit spreads matter, they matter a lot, But then you sort of think about something like housing. I think housing matters a lot more for the cyclical position of the economy. And some of these things don't matter, But is that they're only part of the picture. And if you look at financial conditions that affect housing, I think they're quite You look at financial conditions that are affecting parts of the private credit market, that also looks tighter. And I wonder if what we're seeing now in some of the distresses that you see in private markets means that financial conditions have actually been tighter, but it's been masked by the fact that we don't get marks for those on a regular basis.
Speaker 2: So, Governor, I think I want to give you some time. I think we should give you some time on a central alignment of yours that this year you believe policy is actually passively tightened through twenty twenty five. And don't think that's an argument I've heard many people make you just spend some time fleshing that out.
Speaker 3: What do you mean by that?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 5: So my perspective is that there's been a number of shocks that have hit the economy, driven in large part by economic policy not from the FED, from outside of the FED that pushed neutral rates higher last year and lower this year. And so I think, if you look where my neutral rate is, it's not that I'm out of bounds for where the rest of the committee is unneutral. It's just that I flipped from having one of the highest neutral rates last year to now one.
Speaker 4: Of the lowest neutral rates.
Speaker 5: And that's driven by things like population growth, right, It's driven by things like fiscal deficits, and if you think about popularation growth, right, that's normally considered to be one of the biggest drivers of neutral rates, and it's part of the reason why people think that neutral usually moves very very slowly, because population growth changes only very very slowly as new technologies and cultural trends drive people to have fewer kids over time. But we experienced the last few years, thirty years worth of population growth change in only three years.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 5: When you look at the rate of population growth, it changed more in the last three years than it did in the previous thirty years in both directions. It round tripped completely. And so if the drivers, if the drivers have changes, the neutral rate accelerate over time, it would only make sense to me that the neutral rate itself would change more rapidly over time as well, And so that's pushed neutral higher last year and lower this year, which means that policy is passively tightened. Because what matters for the stance of policy is where you are relative to the neutral rate, And if neutral is here and policies up here, you're very tight. If neutral's here and policies down here, you're very loose. But if you stay where you are and then neutral goes down, you've passively tightened because the neutral rate has shifted, and so policy has grown tighter over the course of the U year. Now, it's not the case that you would expect to see a significant downturn in the economy immediately as a result of that, because Montero policy works with lags. It hits the economy with long and variable lags, as we all know. But if you maintain that very restrictive stance of policy for a long period of time, you really increase the chances that those lags come to manifest In that Monterey policy, then itself induces a downturn in the economy.
Speaker 4: Why wasn't your decent bigger.
Speaker 6: You were talking about a fifty basis point cut that you would have preferred to see in the September meeting. Why didn't you go for a seventy five basis basis point cut descent last month?
Speaker 4: Of course?
Speaker 5: So look, you know, I think that we're I think that we're a fair way from neutral, and I think that we could get there a bit faster. I could imagine getting there in a series of fifty clips. I don't think it's the case that we need to get there and more than that, because I don't think that I don't think the economy is dysfunctional right now, I don't think that financial markers are dysfunctional right now. I don't think we need to move even faster than that for those for those reasons. If I did, then you know, I would have no problem voting for voting for your cuts. But I think sort of getting there in fifties instead of twenty five's is fine.
Speaker 6: So you would be open to dissenting again for a fifty basis point cut if the rest of the committee wasn't around for that next month or in December rather.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I don't want to commit to that because a lot can happen between now and the next meeting. We're getting a lot of data, I hope, between now and then, and only data about the near term, but data about the recent past as well that we don't have.
Speaker 4: So things could change.
Speaker 5: But if things play out according to my forecast, then yes I would Governor Do you think.
Speaker 7: Your advocacy for a fifty bait cut is hardening the opposition to cuts it all?
Speaker 4: I don't think so. I think everybody is.
Speaker 5: Everybody is doing their own analysis of the economy and inflation in the labor market and financial markets too, and coming to a conclusion. And you know, I don't think anybody is necessarily changing their mind sort of to not support a cut because I just because I want to cut more.
Speaker 7: Is there a lot of discussion at the FED about the fact that you're all doing your own analysis, but what data are you all using if we're in the miss still in the middle of a government shutdown thirty four days today.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so there's a lot of talk about that. Let me say a couple things about that. First of all, you know, it's my perspective that being excessively data dependent makes you backward looking, because the data are always backward looking, and because of collection lags, because the amount of time that you're doing comparisons over right, and given mantary policy takes lags to hit the economy, you want to be forward looking. So you want to make policy based on your forecast. Now, there are times when you might not have a lot of confidence in your forecast, and so you need to be data dependent. But you should be data dependent only to the extent that you don't have confidence in your forecast. My perspective is that we know the size of the shocks that have hit the economy this year, things like population growth. That's a known quantity. We know what it does to the economy, we know what it does to neutral we know the size of that. It's not a mystery. So therefore I have a lot of confidence in my forecast. And therefore, to the extent that we would get data that would make me change my forecast, I would then change my policy. I look, so the question is that am I missing data because of the government shutdown that would lead me to change my forecast. And given so much of my forecast for inflation depends on the housing market, and depends on the housing market, I would assume that I would see that in the reporting that Bloomberg and others do, even if I'm not getting data in the short term. Now, something like that lasts a couple of months, right, make Can I continue to sort of have this degree of confidence if we go six months with that data?
Speaker 4: Absolutely not so.
Speaker 5: I do think this is something people are attentive to. And there's also alternative data. As you guys are aware, I find the alternative data on inflation to be not super useful. I do find it to be more useful on the labor market. And when you sort of look at alternative data on the labor market, you see data that's consistent with continual ebbing of demand, which again is a signal that policy is too tight. If the decline in hiring was a result of negative supply shocks from immigration, you would see higher wages, and you would see and you would see firms and people giving answering surveys in a way that indicated that jobs were plentiful or it was difficult to find workers.
Speaker 4: From the firm perspective, you're not.
Speaker 2: Seeing developments in private credit as as well as evidence that we're restrictive. Perhaps it was the fault of our pairs that this didn't come up much of the news conference. I was somewhat surprised did it come up much in the meeting the two day meeting last week.
Speaker 5: Well, I mentioned it at the meeting as a reason why it was potentially a mistake to make to make very confident inferences from the stance of equity markets to the stance of monetary policy. But other than that, I think that sort of folks were focused on private credit as a financial stability risk and sort of thinking about how much do we care about this, what are the risks?
Speaker 4: You know, you know, what are the risks? Where could this go?
Speaker 5: Just sort of analyzing it from a financial stability perspective, Whereas I was making the point as well that there's a chance that because we don't get marks on these things very frequently, that distresses are actually greater than we thought they were, especially when you think about the share of credit that has been created in private markets in the last few years. You know, so it's slowed down recently, but over the last years it's been a greater share of credit that's been sent into the economy.
Speaker 4: So it could be that we're just not seeing it.
Speaker 2: Do you think we're missing something here because somebody guests come on the program and say it's idiosyncratic, just signs if isolated fraud, not a big deal, not systemic, not broad enough.
Speaker 3: Do you share that for.
Speaker 5: You so you know, look, I think that probably at the end of the day, that's what it is. However, I do want to make the point that when you get series of seemingly uncorrelated, non systematic problem sorry, non systematic issues like that, it can be an indication that montary policy is restrictive. We've seen this in the past, when you have a series of seemingly uncorrelated, uncorrelated credit problems that had been masked for a while and then suddenly come to light. Yeah, it tells you something about the stance of montary policy.
Speaker 2: Stay with us more Bloomberg surveillance coming up after this self senching Kaya to kick off a new month of trading. Mike Wilson of Mark and Stanley Rights in the following We expect the uptrend in earnings revision's breadth to resume into year end twenty six. Third quarter earning season provides a strong stop picking environment. Mike John Just now for more, Mike, good morning, sir Morty, John, I want to pick up on a think a core view of yours for twenty twenty five going into twenty twenty six, recessions behind us. I think that's somewhat unique to you and a team at Morgan Stanley just built that out for us.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, you know, we try to work six months in the future. I think you know, a year ago, I think remember we had this conversation after the election. You were saying, make you sound more optimistic than I've heard you in a while, and it was kind of we were thinking six months in advance. We thought the first half would be tough as they transition from the kind of growth negative policies to these growth positive policies. All this campex you're talking about is right in line with the big beautiful bill. I mean, they're trying to basically reduce consumption increase investment. Okay, it's a totally different economy. And what that is, it's a higher velocity economy. For all the companies that haven't been doing well for the last I would say three years, we've been sort of in a recession. I would argue strong, We've done the work on this, and you know, we've done it now with respect to the rolling recession that has been in place for I would say three years, most of the privatey, economy kind of suffering, government kind of carrying the water, and then we basically saw all of that come to fruition at the end in April. April capitulation day as I call it, was basically the government recession that was the final piece of the rolling recession. And if you actually look at the Challenger job cuts and you look at the revision data now on the on the NFL, on the payroll data, it clearly looks to me like a rate of change low okay in payrolls and a rate of change high in Challenger job cuts came in April. So the market's figured all this out. That's why revision breath has gone straight up.
Speaker 3: So roll in recovery. Where aren't we that s So.
Speaker 8: We deemed at the rolling recovery in April, and we're now seeing that, like these areas of the marketer, not everything's going to recover at once, because it's a it's an unorthodox recession. It's not like everything flushed at once and everything recovers at once.
Speaker 1: So it is going to be staged, and we've seen it in the market.
Speaker 8: We're still narrow quite frankly, AI campex is still is kind of one of early recoveries here, semiconductors being an early cycle group. But we're not seeing the other quote unquote early cycle groups recover the way they typically do in a new economic cycle. Why because the FED is behind a curve. The FED is way behind a curve on rates. They need rates much lower if you really want to get the private economy moving, rates are too high.
Speaker 6: Much lower? How much lower do you think that really is required to get that broadening out.
Speaker 1: Let's just start with the two year treasury yield.
Speaker 8: Okay, so my barometer is always the FED is behind the curve. If they Fed funds is above two year treasure yields, and in order to stimulate the private economy, I would say they need to be well below that. So that's fifty basis points just to get the neutral and maybe another one hundred plus to get to something that's more stimulative for the average company and the average consumer.
Speaker 6: Are you right now betting on that broadening out and expecting maybe AI to underperform going forward as they invest more in some of these debt sales and the infrastructure side and the rest of the economy plays catch up.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, think about the trickle down effect of this capital spending. I mean, it's not just going to be semidunter companies. There's there's a lot of infrat rushers, a lot of job creation. There's a lot of velocity in a real economy, and the lending channel starts getting going, perhaps for small medium businesses that job creation.
Speaker 1: Deregulation is another part of that story.
Speaker 8: Okay, so absolutely that's what should happen if things play out the way they could.
Speaker 1: Now, there's risk to that.
Speaker 8: Let's say that FED continues to say, hey, you know, we still think there's inflation risk. We don't like the inflation rate of three percent.
Speaker 1: We're not going to.
Speaker 8: Raise our targets there, and then we just kind of drag their feet.
Speaker 1: It's going to stay narrow.
Speaker 8: Then it's going to stay up the quality curve, and that's where we are right now. He says that people basically are trying to choose between those two outcomes, and I would say right now, most institutional community is still huddled into the high quality stocks. They haven't really made the transition yet. Well, we have in some of our guidance.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, in order.
Speaker 7: For that transition to work, the FED has to cut though. That's what it's contingent on.
Speaker 8: It's one of the main things now. Drag is a big part of that. Okay, the capital.
Speaker 1: Spending is a part of that.
Speaker 8: Those can happen without the FED cutting significantly, but it would really, it would really.
Speaker 1: Solidify it for me.
Speaker 8: And if you go back and look at all these different economic cycles, small caps and you know, lower quality stocks typically don't outperform until the FED gets.
Speaker 1: Below two year treasury deals.
Speaker 8: We've documented this, so, by the way, doesn't mean these stocks can't work in absolute terms, it just means that relative outperformers you typically get in that early cycle rotation needs FED funds to be much lower.
Speaker 7: If you look at the FED next year, are you just expecting a federal reserve that's markedly different than it was today than it is today.
Speaker 8: Well, I think they're just I think they're being patient here, they're doing their job. I'm not wanting to sit here and criticize the Fed left and right. What I see is just a very weird economic cycle. And I think we've kind of we've sold the puzzle a little bit on this, and that's why I feel fairly confident that our narrative we laid out this year is played out.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 8: I'm getting evidence in the marketplace, and I feel more confident in that narrative.
Speaker 1: And that's sort of the difference.
Speaker 8: I just think they're not there yet, you know, they're They're not where I am in my head. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty confident about that outcome.
Speaker 3: Can we finish on big tech?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 2: These companies are changing way used to companies that weren't investing tons ultimately that we giving it back to shareholders. We're seeen a subtle twist, I think from the likes of say Meta, who was spending tons and tons and tons and then coming to the debt market to fund it. That's not what we're used to with these names typically the asset like capital return heavy. You noticeing the same change? And how should we treat those companies differently, if at all?
Speaker 3: Because of that?
Speaker 1: So let's talk about the risks for the bullmarket.
Speaker 8: We think a bull market started in April new economic earning cycle.
Speaker 1: Okay, there are two risks.
Speaker 8: One is it the Fed drags their feet Liquidity streped funding market stresses kind of pop up. The second one is what you just talked about, is that the market starts to push back on the fact that free cash flow growth is actually decelerating for some of these businesses and the asset light story is being called into question.
Speaker 1: We haven't seen it yeto.
Speaker 8: The last week was the first sign we saw pretty diversion performance between some of these And that's a risk because if all of a sudden, the market starts to become a governing factor on those stocks. I can guarantee you that the management teams are going to say, well, maybe we weren't going to spend quite as much, just like we saw in the fall of twenty twenty four as we talked about the deceleration in campex, and also we saw that with you know, other times when these companies spend much money, the market is a governing factor. The management change their view how they're guiding.
Speaker 1: On the campex.
Speaker 8: Right now, they're getting rewarded for more campex the market.
Speaker 2: Is it welcome news that they're leaning on the debt market a little bit more, just as it s equity market starts to push back.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that, I mean I think it's a natural evolution.
Speaker 8: And just to be clear, in all these buildouts, whether it's railroads, electricity, uh, the internet itself.
Speaker 1: Okay, we got to we're now to the debt part.
Speaker 8: Okay, so now they just raised a ton of capital, Well, they're not going to send They're going to spend it. So like that's another reason to be excited on one hand, because we know that money is going to get spent, not going to sit there and collect dust. So so you know, typically it could last a year, two three, I don't know. I mean, but it's hard for me to believe that the spending cycles over when they just raised gobs and gobs of dollars.
Speaker 2: Do you think it japanizes comforitive return programs as these companies take on more leverage.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's competing for the for the free cash flow. So whether it's camp and by the way, campex now is a percentage of free cash flow is pretty high for these businesses. But once again, I want to go back, this is this is by design. Okay. The tax bill is basically incenting these companies to do it. Now, I mean, the government administration is really encouraging businesses of all types to start investing for the first time in fifteen years. We've underinvested in so many things, not just you know, AI, but like infrastructure and factories and you know, automating production and robotics and things like that. I mean, this bill is designed to get that engine of growth moving.
Speaker 3: And it's happening. It's just putting all these pieces together.
Speaker 2: This was a core theme, I think, a core pillar for being long US equities for a long long time, and now it's changed. Is it still good? I think that's what I'm trying to get out here. Is this still an argument to buy US equities?
Speaker 8: I think that the valuation, you know, is telling you that the growth is going to be better than we think. My view is that earnings is going to be better next year than people expect.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 8: On the other side of that, I do think we're in a different environment where we have these hotter but shorter cycles. Okay, so we're not in these ten year economic expansions anymore, and so it's two years on, one year off, two years on. When that's what we've had since COVID right twenty twenty, twenty twenty one, good, twenty two, bad, twenty three, twenty four good twenty four.
Speaker 1: To twenty five, and that's so good. Now we're into a new two year cycle.
Speaker 8: So you just have to understand that because inflation is right under the surface and now you have a higher velocity economy. That means you're going to have to treat it a little bit more. But right now I think it's you know, we're in a pretty good position.
Speaker 3: Stay with us. More Bloomberg Surveillance coming up after this.
Speaker 2: Turning to tech, Alphabet returning to Europe's debt market for the second time this year, looking to sell three billion in europe denominated bonds to fund this AI expansion. The announcement coming after Meta sold thirty billion dollars of corporate bonds just last week. Amount of line up a black Rock joined us Now for more, Amanda.
Speaker 3: Good morning morning. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: The amount of debt that's coming to market from tech. Yes, this is a big development. We need to track how are you going to see track and things?
Speaker 9: So thank you for having me. It is I would say it's a pretty big paradigm shift. If you look at data from deal Logic USIG tech issuance has already surpassed all of the full years on record so far in twenty twenty five, so this is something that is actually gaining further momentum. We think there's more room to run. There are a couple things that I would note. One, in USIG, we look at gross issuance and net issuance, and we also look at gross leverage and net debt. The reason I mentioned that is that a lot of these companies, not all of them, but some of the largest companies are actually still in a net cash position, so they're issuing debt, but they actually still have more cash on their balance sheet relative to debt. Now, the historical precedent for that was, prior to the twenty seventeen tax reform, a lot of that cash was trapped overseas, So USIG companies used to allow their cash to build overseas and then they would have to pay taxes on if it were repatriated. Now that's a different backdrop. I say that because there's a lot of focus on kind of the releveraging of the tech sector. But our view is that there is a very long way to run, because not only is gross leverage really modest in the sector, net leverage is actually negative because again they're still in a net cash position. So what that means is a lot of this capex will be funded by a combination of public debt markets US Europe, private credit, maybe some fiscal plans as well, but there's a lot of room to run. I think the binding constraint will be one, is there over the next few years a disruptive technology that kind of derails that, or is there ongoing true demand under the surface that kind of builds that productivity and that economic value added, and then the binding constraint will be the rating agencies. This actually reminds me a lot of the pharma industry back in two thousand and nine, there was a paradigm shift of a lot of mergers between pharma and biotech. A lot of companies actually took active downgrades to their debt ratings purposefully, and it actually, on a smaller scale, reminds me a lot of that.
Speaker 6: There's this discussion that's increasingly nuanced, which is there's not a fear that Meta is going to go bankrupt in the near term. There's not a fear that Amazon or Alphabet is going to really run into financial problems. There is, however, a feeling that they're an increasing number of related companies that are levering up in order to build out data centers or build out other types of infrastructure that are going to run into problems. I mean, how much are you worried about that leverage that is also building in tandem with the behemoths.
Speaker 9: Well, I think, again going back to the point, these are companies that are generating a significant amount of cash. They have a lot of liquidity on their balance sheet, and I think they're making a calculus that they have to invest in this paradigm shift, and they really don't have an option not to. So there may be winners and losers of this. Perhaps the folks that are investing, they may not be the biggest beneficiaries of the technology right. There may be other parts of the value chain that benefit more. But I think the fact of the matter is the market is comfortable.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 9: It reminds me a lot of pharma and biotech. A lot of times, management teams are making bets on drug discoveries that haven't happened yet. They're issuing thirty or forty year bonds after patent cliffs expire.
Speaker 3: These are just.
Speaker 9: Bets on management teams that they will see through the new regime and have to navigate through it. But I think there's a lot of financial cushion in this sector and I don't think we're anywhere near the point where investors are thinking of stopping funding it because you can see the demand.
Speaker 3: From the new issues.
Speaker 6: Stephen Myron was just on FED Governor talking about how financial conditions don't necessarily tell the whole story and that they can mask a lot of pain that you're seeing elsewhere, and he pointed to the private credit space and he said that that has been the biggest growth area, and that is an area where you don't see visibility into the marks that you have currently. You could have some potential pitfalls, and we are seeing anecdotes to that degree. Not saying are there cockroaches that are going to undermine the whole system, but do you think that's a valid argument that hial bond spreads aren't going to be the canary in the coal mine. It's in the private credit sphere and it's not very visible.
Speaker 9: So I agree with this point that aggregate financial conditions are not representative of everything that is going on in the economy. I don't think it's limited to private credit. However, if you look at, for example, triple c's and high yield median interest coverage is already below one times, right, So that is a really non existent financial cushion in aggregate for a sector to navigate a higher cost of debt. You see it in commercial real estate. Parts of commercial real estate Class C office haven't kept up. You see it in consumer credit ages twenty to twenty nine cohorts with student loans. They're not homeowners, they're not equity owners. They're really struggling. So I think the point is is that, yes, financial conditions in aggregate using an input of five measures, have eased since the April peak. But under the surface, whether you look at leverage, loan borrow, wher's, high yield, private credit, commercial real estate, consumer credit, there are pockets that haven't kept pace.
Speaker 3: Again, it speaks to.
Speaker 9: The bifurcated and dispersed economy that we have. So I would agree that actually financial conditions in aggregate don't tell the whole story. I don't think it's isolated however, to private credit. I also think what he was pointing to is that private credit has changed the transmission of monetary policy through the economy. Private credit has stepped in historically when other traditional parts of lending have pulled back, bank C and I lending the debt capital markets, and our view, that's not a bad thing, right because private credit has filled a void. There are forty four thousand private companies across the US, the UK, and Europe, and so it's a significant economic opportunity to fund those companies.
Speaker 3: The counterargument's aord of v promo.
Speaker 2: If you really think about it, is it the boom in private credit cam in a rising interest rate environment? So can you really draw a link between FED policy and the direction of private credit Because it didn't work one way, what does it work the other?
Speaker 3: This is the issue.
Speaker 6: Right At a certain point, you could argue if they're feeling weakness, that's not a bad thing because you're still seeing it to play. I mean, Apollo in areas reported to earnings today and the earnings are doing great, so it's not as though they're about to struggle. You have to wonder that counter factual that you're just talking about, is it a positive in terms of the resilience of the economy.
Speaker 2: This is the point, Amanda, that Lisa has been really hitting the drama repeatedly. The use case of luring interest rates. What's it addressing? What's the channel?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 9: Well, actually, I think it's a great point if you look at saying going back to the leverage loan market, leverage loan defaults peaked in November of twenty twenty four at seven point seven percent. That's a really high number. That's on pace with the pandemic, and that's issuer weighted moodies right. But the point is is that we've already had some incremental funding relief for floating rate barwers thanks to the one hundred and fIF basis points that the FED has already delivered. I do think there are pockets of the market that would welcome that. If you're a younger consumer, you have floating right credit cards, you have student loans. Yes, of course every incremental cut helps. But in general, I think we feel comfortable that we're kind of past peak interest rate headwinds, we're probably past peak trade policy uncertainty, and we think we're probably on scope for a reacceleration of growth, and that leads us comfortable with credit risk.
Speaker 6: Do you think that if the FED were to cut rates it would force you to take risk you're uncomfortable taking in order to get the same kind of yields.
Speaker 9: I do think there is a delicate trade off between the yield on off or in a wide range of corporate credit markets and investor demands. So, for example, USIG yields are now below five percent, high yield yields are now below seven percent in aggregate. I do think in a structurally higher yield environment there is a bit more demand for spread based product. But in terms of lenders kind of throwing caution to the wind because rates are falling, you have to keep in mind that, especially in the private credit market, these loans are made and are staying on those lenders balance sheets for the life of the loan, very different than say in the Financial crisis when they were syndicated out.
Speaker 3: So the risk calculus to me.
Speaker 9: Isn't going to be buffeted by an incremental twenty five or fifty bass points.
Speaker 3: Very coops stay with us.
Speaker 2: More Bloomberg surveillance coming up after this A week full of data. Don't get the usual suspects. No payroll stata this week, but you will get the MS ADP and job openings. Let's stick with the alternative data. Nancy is out of Piper Sander, writing look past the scary AI job destroying headlines, keep an eye on claims, n FIB, jobs, S and PPMI employment all showing incremental improvements in the labor market. Nancy joins us now for more. Nancy goodmrnic good morning. He's the worst of it behind us.
Speaker 3: Then I think so.
Speaker 10: I think we are at a positive inflection point in the economy. No question here in four Q with the government shutdown, you're gonna have a little bump in the road, but it's important to look at the trend and you're getting plenty of green shoots from all those indicators that you mentioned. Even on the job side, although Amazon is laying off people, claims are incrementally low. Amazon probably over hired during the COVID COVID crisis. They're just renormalizing. And importantly, the big guys don't create jobs.
Speaker 4: It really is.
Speaker 10: Eighty percent of jobs are created in companies with less than five hundred employees, and so that's why the increase in the NFIB index is so important. There's also the S and PPMI that comes out today. We already have a preliminary October reading for that. That employment component is positive. Conference Boards Jobs data we're a little bit more positive regional FED employment data, and it's important we're also positive, and it's important it's manufacturing. Manufacturing has a much bigger multiplier than the service sector, and so I'm actually excited that it's starting with the manufacturing space.
Speaker 3: Can I pick up on claims?
Speaker 2: Yeah, how instructive our jobless claims when they've been pretty stable through the year as payrolls have decelerates it quite aggressively since it' stand of twenty five.
Speaker 10: So first on payrolls, it's a misleading indicator. It should be reported mainly maybe once a coreter until they have a better sample sample size. They're trying to capture over twenty million companies in two hundred and fifty industry groups. That was just revised down nine hundred thousand after being revised down pretty consistently in each of the past four years on a monthly on a monthly basis, So lousy data. I would much rather look at the survey data that we've been focusing on, and claims. Claims obviously capture firings. What continuing claims show you our hirings, and so we've had limited firings, which is what claims show you. But companies are reluctant to hire as of now, given that they're trying to protect their profits, a lot of economic uncertainty. But we would look for as we go into twenty twenty six for continuing claims. That's going to be the key metric to watch as far as our company is getting ready to start to hire as of now. No, but with Blagg effect of the Fed easing cycle the Feds eased over one hundred basis points one hundred and fifty basis points over the past year, we would argue there already are plenty accommodative and that's improving corporate profits and that will get you re hired as we move into twenty six.
Speaker 6: I want to pick up on something that you noted, which is that there's a transformation underway in the economy where it's going from some of these white collar jobs where you are seeing layoffs and you're expecting to see hiring pickup in.
Speaker 3: The manufacturing sector.
Speaker 6: Is this a big transformation that you can really put your finger on and say, this is what's going to happen, this is the future.
Speaker 4: Maybe go to tech school.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking of my kids and.
Speaker 6: Get yourself you know some kind of degree in more of the manufacturing sector than anything else.
Speaker 10: One thousand percent. Pallunteer was in the news last week. They're hiring high school kids. Great idea, get a job, then see if you want to go go to college or if you need to go to if you need to go to college. Yes, I think this is transformational. It's actually been unfolding for about fifteen years. It started last cycle when capital spending started to come back to the United States. China just wasn't a hot, great place to do business anymore like it had been, and so we started to get on shoring. We started to get goods producing jobs increase through twenty nineteen. That's important because it's a huge multiplier. When you create factories, you need a support system around it. Other smaller factories, distribution centers, and then other services eventually eventually unfold. So I do think this is transformational, is healthy for the economy. Not everybody needs to go to college wants to go to college, and there should be other job opportunities. And yes, I think it is transformational.
Speaker 6: This is one fear that people have if there's a huge skills gap right now, whether it's AI and some of the technology that's coming to the fore that's making companies more efficient, or whether it's some of these more technical fields where people just don't have the training or expertise. Is there something that's going to be friction in this transformation that you see as a problem that's needing more easing from the FED, that's needing a little bit extra oomph to give it that support.
Speaker 10: No, I would say, no more oomph from the fat al. It is creating bubbles versus creating a healthy economic backdrop for Middle America. Those big easing cycles create great environment. I think one of your guests said that this morning for Wall Street, let's focus on let's focus on Main Street, where you can have maybe slow inflation, relatively low interest rates, and a solid job cycle.
Speaker 3: So train them.
Speaker 10: I visited a prison about six years ago where they were training inmates as they got parole in skills, and they would train them and they go out, they get on parole and they would get a job. So you can train people to work in factories. I grew up in a factory town. I saw it myself, and it's train them. That's not a big deal. Penny Pritzker was really focused on that early early last decade, community college system companies working with community colleges. No, I'm excited about it, rather than people depending upon the government where they can actually go out and get a healthy, good job.
Speaker 7: Do you think there's been fresh impetus on this because of the Trump administration trying to get manufacturing back into United States by using a Karen and stick approach with tariffs.
Speaker 10: Yeah, certainly that's reinforcing it. But I really want to emphasize the private sector first started to do it back in twenty ten. I listened to company and companies we're complaining about the difficulties in doing business stealing technology AI heavy hand from the government. And so this has been going on for ten years. And to be sure, I like your description the carrot and the sticks. Ap app absolutely and the thing on the carrot.
Speaker 3: It takes time.
Speaker 10: Same with a stick. It takes time to build these factories. And so we've seen a lot of announcements about forty forty five announcements this year of major companies announcing construction of new facilities. But to plan those facilities than to execute it. And that's what I like about it. It's slow, it's not fast, and it can create a sustained cycle, potentially even another one of those long business cycles that we saw in twenty ten through twenty nineteen if.
Speaker 1: We do get some layoffs.
Speaker 7: The Financial Times had a story about this, how companies are just going.
Speaker 3: To say it's AI.
Speaker 4: Do you think it really is down to AI?
Speaker 7: That is just politically easier and more beneficial than to blame something that they're going to have to deal with in a few years, So maybe not they're dealing with right now.
Speaker 3: It is probably a little bit of both.
Speaker 10: First, every business cycle upturn is led by technology. If you go back to ninety one, two thousand and one, two thousand tech, if you look at GDP tech capital spending has always led because it gives you productivity, profitability, and then you can get jobs. Classically, these upturns, you do have a slow job market because, yes, companies are trying to protect their profit margins.
Speaker 4: So maybe it's a little bit of excuse.
Speaker 10: But the capex were seen being spent on AI is leading the economy and it will give you old economy capex as you go through the year, So maybe it's an excuse. But at the end of the day, it's not unusual to have a sluggish upturn in employment going into a reacceleration.
Speaker 2: This is the Bloomberg Sevendics podcast, bringing you the best in markets, economics, antient politics. You can watch the show live on Bloomberg TV weekday mornings from six am to nine am Eastern. Subscribe to the podcast on Apple, Spotify, or anywhere else. You listen a ways on the Bloomberg Terminal and the Bloomberg Business
Speaker 3: Out Mm hmm.