Speaker 1: Welcome to Before Breakfast, a production of iHeartRadio. Good Morning, This is Laura. Welcome to the Before Breakfast podcast. Today's episode will be a longer one part of my series where I interview fascinating people about how they manage their time and how all of us can take our days from great to awesome. So I am so excited to welcome Anna Goldfarm to Before Breakfast today. Anna is the author of the book Modern Friendship, on how to nurture our most valued connections. So Anna, welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me. I'm so excited to be here.
Speaker 1: Well, why don't you tell our listeners a little bit about you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm a journalist and I've reported on friendships, relationships, and pop psychology for nearly a decade. I've really gotten to dig deep with friendship, but mostly for The New York Times. So from my reporting, I wanted something more comprehensive to describe the strange waters that we're swimming in, Like I really wanted to capture in a much deeper way than an article of Guys, here's what's going on. I want to orient everyone like, Okay, this is the game we're playing. It is very different rules than any other time before in history. So here you go. Here's what's up.
Speaker 1: So are I mean, are we imaginating are people feeling more isolated or lonely than in the past, And what's going on? What has changed with friendship to make that happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, we have a lot of sociological factors that do not work in our favor. We live in a society where we're more butterflies. We have unlimited choice on who we can befriend and who we can associate with. But also it's easier to shed those connections because we don't stay in one place for too long. And you know, our grandparents, their social lives were more like an oak tree with deep roots where they stayed put and they knew their communities. They didn't have as much choice of food. Of a friend, they usually had to be someone that look that came from their economic background, looked like them. So it's just pros and cons. It's not saying like it was better back then, and it's you know, and it's not comparing. It's just different, different pros and cons. And I know people sense that things are different. They probably sense that it's so much harder to keep friendships going than when they were younger, and it's not their imagination. They have a collection of friends they've made from different parts of their life, but they only share common history with us, not with each other.
Speaker 1: So it's harder to have sort of a group of friends, yeah, because you sort of are the middle of a spoke of a wheel. You're the hub of the wheel on their spokes. I think I've seen you use analogically, and.
Speaker 2: You know, it's just a lot harder to bring different different people in your life. Two of my best friends didn't even know each other until my book release party. So my advice, release a book, have a party that everyone can finally meet.
Speaker 1: Bring everyone. It's like a wedding or something. Right like the wedding, you realize, like all these people they know you, but they don't know everyone else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's.
Speaker 1: A it's a little strange to think about it that way, but you you know, you focus on sort of the practicalities of how you can build relationships. And as we were talking before, you just mentioned something we always like to talk about routines on this show. And you have now have a morning routine of talking to your sister, which obviously family members can be friends. I wonder if you could talk a little bit about how that routine came to be and how that has been important in your life.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I you know, I don't think my sister will mind me sharing this because I've talked about this before, and also it's true, so it stry to argue with the truth. But my sister and I really had trouble finding common ground for a long time. You know, she got married and then started having children. I got married and decided that I was not going to have children, and we just really had to disconnect over just our lives, like our different roles that were choosing, and if we could find common ground with that. I started reporting on friendships around twenty seventeen for the New York Times, and in the course of my reporting, I met this woman, Shasta Nelson, who's an incredible friendship expert. She's an OG, she's brilliant, the real deal. And what I learned from Shasta's work is that friendships require three things positivity, consistency, and vulnerability. So I started applying that to my relationship with my sister, where you know, it was rocky, and the first thing I did was consistency of she know, she has these small children, So I said, why don't I come over every weekend and I come help with your kids? So I had the consistency I'm coming over every Saturday. Then I worked on positivity of you know, I saw this slip glass. I thought I'd be pretty for you. I thought this would be a good shade for you. Here I bought you like a little some cookies at the market, like just little treats. And that led to vulnerability of what's going on with you? Like, what's really going on with your your you know, what are you struggling with? How can I help? And those three things, paying attention to them completely completely transformed our relationship and part of the I've maintained the consistency every weekend, I still go over, and she started calling me every morning after dropping the kids off to school, when she's driving home, she'll call me. So we've created our own routine means, but you had to lay the I had to lay the groundwork for those routines to stick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because friendship, it turns out, takes work and it takes time, and of course that is something that many people struggle with a lot. And so let's talk about that a little. I mean a lot of people say like I want more friends, or I want a better social life or something like that, but that's kind of a vague hope. I mean, what what are people getting at when they say that.
Speaker 2: Well, studies show that people think they'd be happier with more friends, But what actually makes us happier is being considered someone's best friend. And that's because that's a when someone identifies us and it says, oh my gosh, she's my best friend, it reinforces our you know, that someone judges our good character and our sees our integrity and sees our inner beauty, and that gives us the self esteem and confidence that we think having more friends would give us. Yes, I mean our phones are full of names of people that we love, but it doesn't feel that amazing, like as amazing as you think it would feel. You know, our social media. You open it up, Oh, here's all my friends, and it doesn't really feel like anything. It kind of just feel, if anything, it feels negative of well, look what they're doing and I'm not included. Why wasn't I included? All they're all on a trip. I haven't been on the trip. It's just like it's none of it makes feel that good. So what a better strategy is to be a dynamic teammate, a dynamite team meat to three to five people, Like, go back to basics. Really, you know, when you think about when you were happiest with your friendships, it might have been high school or college where you just had a few friends and you just focused on them and that was enough. You know, you weren't trying to keep all these plates in the air of every old coworker and old roommate and childhood best friend. Like you weren't trying to keep all these plates spinning. So go back to basics. Pick a few people and be wonderful to them. Excellent.
Speaker 1: Well, we're going to take a short break and then be back with Anna Goldfarb talking more things friendship. Well, I am back. This is one of the longer episodes of Before Breakfast. I am talking with Anna Goldfarb, who is a friendship expert author of the book Modern Friendship. So, Anna, one of the things you've said that I've found so interesting is you know, you're like, I want more friends, but what you actually want is more people to do X with. Like that friendship start out at least based on shared activities. Can you talk a little bit about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a huge misconception about friendship that it should just go on forever because because there's affection there, people should just make time in their schedule because you've known each other so long, there's such great affection for one another. But that's not actually how humans work. Humans work, And I learned this theory something called choice theory, developed by doctor William Glasser in the nineteen sixties, and choice theory says that we all have five inherent genetic needs and their survival, power, love and belonging, freedom, which is like self expression, and fun. Those are the reasons we do everything. So when you think about your friendships, and if it's not particular, if it's not helping your survival, you know, in a real way, if it's not helping your power in a real way, if there's not really love and belonging, you're not in any groups together. You know, you're married, you get love from other people more primarily more freedom. If you don't really do anything creative or you feel like you're yourself, that could be attending a pride parade, It could be really any kind of self expression and five fun. If it's not fun, not going to be time to do it. So when you look at friendships through that lens, it can help explain why you pull away from friendships but gravitate towards others because friendships that help us with those needs were more likely to make time for.
Speaker 1: And so maybe you're looking for a friend to run with or a friend to go to the movies with, and so you kind of need to filter through the people that are in your life with a focus on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or power is your job. Like a lot of friends. If you're not in the same industry, that can be challenging. It's like, well, what else do we have that you can help me with? As I get older, I've been creating. I've been creating more friendships and seeking out more friendships with other journalists and authors because they get the challenges of the industry and then we can it's easier to form a friendship with peopleeople who care about the things that you care about. And with meeting you know, we have our spouse, that's a lot of our love and belonging in time, so friends just take on a different sheet, like it's an own brain. They can I go like one shade to the other. As you become more things, the more people friends just just have to have to transform.
Speaker 1: Well, let's talk about issuing invitations that are more likely to get a yes because you have some guidelines. I think a lot of people are just like, let's get together sometime, and that's that's a terrible invitation. So what mistakes are people making and how can we do this invitation these invitations better.
Speaker 2: The biggest mistake I see is that people spend zero thought on how their invitation lands in someone else's phone or inbox. They just rattle off low effort like hey we should hang out, Hey I miss you, I want to see you. But that creates a lot of work on the part of the recipient of well, when what are we doing? Where are we getting together? And then it's like oh, then the grooms come out. It's like, oh, no, I got you drop this bomb on my lap of you want to see me. I don't know why you want to see me, you know, I got to figure out the details. It just creates a lot of work, a lot of mental work that you that you may not have intended for the recipient to do. It was more just hey, we should get together, and it's like, what do you mean get together? Why? So what we can do is frontloader invitations with the why so the other person can better determine if this is a good use of their time, and what that looks like is you know, I'll take an example from my own life. I recently reached out to a woman who works in media in my neighborhood and I was like, oh my gosh, you live in Philly. I live in Philly. We're both in media. Let's get together. That was the why of this is what I want to see you. We have the same industry. And we got together for a happy hour and I asked her what are some of her pain points living in Philly and she said, well, most of my friends have moved away and it's been really hard the past year. Like my best friend moved, they all moved over the world. And I was like, you know what, I think you'd really like my two other friends. So I went to my two other friends and said, hey, I met this great woman. Let's all have a happy hour. I want you all to meet. I think you guys would really hit it off. I'm giving reasons as I'm telling the story, I'm peppering reasons for everything I'm doing. So the new friend, I invited her these women I think you'd hit it off with there in media would be a cool hang and that reason was enough for her to say yes. And then to my two friends, they're like, oh, she sounds cool, I'd love to meet her. So we all went out for a happy hour and it was amazing. We had a great time, and we're like, let's do this regularly. Let's start it monthly hangout. So every step along the way we had a reason, a reason for the initial meeting, a reason to expand the circle so she could meet more friends in the neighborhood. And it was a success. So you know, anyone can do this. I'm not some savant like of savant. I just give meaningful reasons that people responded to to make them say yes, to have them not flake or bail. And usually if people flake or bail, it's because the reason wasn't clear, or the reason wasn't compelling to get together.
Speaker 1: So's and I've even seen you mention giving specific times and locations, like if you were inviting someone for coffee. You're not just like I want to talk with you about X related to our industry, which again might be a good why, but you say, you know I could do these three times. There's a cute place here. Does any of that work for you?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Like to make it as easy as possible for people to say yes, yes, And.
Speaker 2: Also it shows that you understand that this new friend has a whole other life and other commitments, and it's a sign of respect. It's a subtle sign of respect of I respect your time. Here's what I'm asking, here's the container it's in, and it will make it easier for people to say yes, especially if they have children or spouses, like they need to know what's the time coming when you're asking, I need to plan around it. So it's like a subtle way. And I really think I try to be the friend that I would love to have. I would find it very respectful if someone did that for me, so I just try to return the favor. Well.
Speaker 1: I like that last point because there's definitely an element there of being of service. And when you talked earlier about choosing to be a wonderful friend to the three to five people, I mean part of that is being helpful and you ask this new friend about her pain points in Philly. I think a lot of people don't do that naturally, So maybe you can talk about what that looks like.
Speaker 2: Well, it can really be like what you know. I in a clunky way, it's saying like how can I help you? But in a more subtle way, it's just listening to how how do you find living here? Like? Are what are some like anything you've been struggling with. I wouldn't be that overt or explicit, but I would just listen and feel like, tell me what's going on, how's your job? How has your social life been? And just listen for those bids of well I'm struggling at this area like I'm I'm really having a tough time here and being like, oh, here's how I can help. I would love to help. Does this sound interesting to you? And it's really about being an excellent team And it's very careful not to dominate and not to say well here's what you should do. You should meet my friends, They're going to be great, come over Thursday. Well it's like that's dominie. It's a better strategy to say, hey, I really think I can help here. Would you want to get together with some friends, I can see if they're open to it and have them involved in the process. I think that's a miscalculation people make is to show their love. They're like, I'll do it, I'll solve it, i'll take it on, I'll fix it. And people don't want that from their friends. It's a pure relationship of equals. So to be really mindful of the power dynamics.
Speaker 1: I love that image of being a teammate. I mean, we all want teammates in life. But one last thing about invitations. Obviously sometimes people don't respond. You talk a little bit about making silence meaningful. What does that mean?
Speaker 2: This is a trick. This is a trick I learned from my freelancing for all these top tier outlets, because they don't always get back to you right away, and I need to preserve my sanity so I'm not held hostage by these silences. And we can apply this to our friendships too. And the way it works is if you have friends that are exceptionally busy or they're a little bit harder to pin down, they don't always get back to you. You can say, hey, i'd love to see you. Do you want to go to the forty showing of Nightmare before Christmas, which is something my friend just went to. And if I don't hear from you by noon, all of a sudden, you can't go by saying how you'll interpret the silence. You you're taking power and you're giving a kindness to the other person. Of I understand you may not have time to get back to me. Here's how I'll interpret your non answer, because a non answer is an answer, so you're just being you know, saying it out loud. Of I will interpret your non answer this in this way, and then you can say I'll be in touch later next week to find lunch plans like you can. It's not going to be weird. The goal is to reduce resentment and reduce these pain points and with certain friends where they can't get back to you right away, so keep it moving, be flexible, and take control. If I don't hear from you, I'll assume this.
Speaker 1: That sounds good. All right, Well, we're going to take one more quick ad break and we'll be back with a little bit more of Anna's personal time management tips. Well, I am back talking with Anna Goldfarb about modern friendships and ways that busy people can make space in their life for friends and do it so efficiently, you know, make things work without a whole lot of terrible back and forth, which can cause many plans to die. But let's talk a little bit about your own life. What are some of the things that you are doing now to make yourself more efficient or productive.
Speaker 2: Well, the main thing is, and my book can help walk people through this, is picking your elite tier of people. I cannot be the same level a friend to everyone I've ever met in my life. It really is picking a handful of people. I call it your Jacuzi tier, your Dacuzi friends, and commit to prioritizing these people, being in contact with these people and seeing them regularly a few times a month, and from there, once I knew sort of who's on the shopping list, to put it in a sort of crude way, it makes things so much easier. Like other connections are a bonus and they're and I know how to regard them. But it's not as overwhelming of how am I going to juggle all of my responsibilities and obligations. It's like I have a plan, I have a strategy. These are the people and I've told them you're my Jacuzi friend. Here's what this means. It means if you text me or call me, I will do everything I can to reply or write back as soon as I can. It means we can celebrate birthdays together. Means we can celebrate the holidays together. Means we can have our own rituals. And that's simplified things because I know where to put my efforts. I highly encourage everyone to really sit down and make a list or if you need a little help, my book can help you of who are these people to you? And are these good choices? That's something you don't hear a lot when it comes to friendship, like, am I making good choices? Am I picking good people? So my book can help you evaluate, evaluate the kinds of people you're picking and making sure that they're appropriate for that level.
Speaker 1: Excellent? And what's something you have done recently to take a day from great to awesome?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, Well I have this actually, me and one of my best friends. We call it a Terrific Lady Day. And that's sort of where you can steal away for a few hours and buy a new random lipstick, get like that kale lemonade from a hip city of veg and just live a great life and kind of you know, bop around. I need a terrific lady bees. And it doesn't even need to be like this flashy thing, just a few little old treat a little I'm just on my own. I'm not gonna, you know, worry about anyone else, and it's gonna keep my eyes on my own paper and just do what I want to do and listen terrific lady ds. Embrace it. When you're having like a crummy week, just be like, you know, I need a terrific lady day. I need to go, you know, get my nails done and then I'll get a little coffee, like whatever you need these small moments. Also, I want to say we it feels so good to help others, but we can help people in a way that makes sense for us. So it really makes me. It turns a great a good day into a great day when I realize I'm suited to help a friend with something that they need, Like my new friend who wanted to make more friends, I'm like, I can help, I can do this, and that really boosts our self esteem. This is where those good feelings from friends come from is when you realize you have skills, you have a network, and you can help others. It's a cheap hit. It's dopamine, but now it's like a cheap bit of dopamine. But hey, we're all here for a good time.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't think helping others is a cheap hit of dopamine. I mean, you know, there are much cheaper hits one could imagine. So, yes, helping helping others is always good and something most of us should focus more time on in general. So, and where can our listeners find you? Where are you out in the world that we can locate your work and get to know you more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can find me at Anna Goldfarb on Instagram. I've sort of a band on Twitter. I feel thank everyone, all right, all sort of And I forget that threads exist often, so listen Instagram still here, I'm on it, And I have a newsletter on substack called Friendship Explained. That's Anna Goldfarb dot sa substack dot com and I have a lot of fun over there. So please join me if you want to just just want some some cool discussion and analysis about my friendships are a dumpster fire, but yours don't have to be. Friendships in general are, but yours are going to be magnificent.
Speaker 1: Yours are going to be amazing. So we're in the jacuzzie, not in the dumpster fire. Get our metaphors right here, all right, awesome? Well Anna, thank you so much for joining us, and thank you to everyone for listening. I welcome feedback on these longer episodes. Ideas you have or you'd like to see me discuss people you would like me to bring on. As always, you can reach me at Laura at Laura vandercam dot com. In the meantime, this is Laura. Thanks for listening, and here's to making the most of our time. Thanks for listening to Before Breakfast. If you've got questions, ideas, or feedback, you can reach me at Laura at Laura vandercam dot com. Before Breakfast is a production of iHeartMedia. For more podcasts from iHeartMedia, please visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.