Speaker 1: Hi, get everybody. I'm Dan Hord and thanks for downloading the Bengals Booth Podcast The until You Share Your Secret with Me. Addition, as Dave Lapham joins me for an in depth look at the upcoming NFL draft, culminating with our predictions for who the Bengals are going to pick at number seventeen. Overall, The Bengals Booth Podcast is brought to you by pay Core, proud to be the Bengals official HR software provider, by All to Fiber future proof Fiber Internet designed to elevate your home, business and community to a new level, and by Kettering Health the best care for the best fans. Kettering Health is the official healthcare provider of the Bengals. Now here's a quick reminder that you can have the latest edition of this podcast delivered right to your phone, tablet, or computer by subscribing wherever you get your podcasts. It's the greatest thing since I'm seeing jazz at Cafe Vivace. Cafe Vivace and Walnut Hills is one of Cincinnati's hidden gems. It's a coffee shop by day with pastries and breakfast sandwiches and a jazz lounge at night with cocktails, wine and beer. But the amazing thing about the place is the big name talent it attracts for a very intimate venue, jazz greats like Joshua Redman, Christian McBride and last Saturday Grammy Award winning pianist Sullivan Fortner, who is absolutely spectacular. I promise you don't have to be a jazz lover to enjoy it, So check them out on Instagram or Facebook. It's cafe with two f's Caffe and Vavace is spelled viv Ace. Now time for my final pre draft podcast with Dave Lapham, which is typically one of the most downloaded episodes of the year, since everybody wants to know who lap thinks the Bengals are going to pick. Lap Let's start with the all important need question. What is the number one thing the Bengals must get in this draft?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think when you look at it, Dan, in my mind, it's an interior, offensive and defensive lineman, and I probably have to say offensive lineman more so. You know, you do have a couple of young prospects that you drafted last year in the second and third round at the defensive tactical position.
Speaker 3: You know, that.
Speaker 2: That you're you're you're working with and you're trying to improved from year one to year two. And I thought they were both worthy of being selected, you know where they were Jenkins McKinley in the second and third round, respectively. But rookies are are exactly that. Rookies are young players that need to learn a little bit. And I think they went through that learning process. Uh, Jenkins obviously had the injury that slowed him down. A hand injury to a defensive lineman or an offensive lineman is brutal. When you can't you're allowed to use your hands in the National Football League and when the other guy can't you can you can't.
Speaker 3: It's very tough.
Speaker 2: So, you know, I do think that they will address the interior of the defensive line at some point. I do think though, that the interior of the Bengals offensive line that that definitely needs to be addressed. Uh, you know, you you, uh, you have a situation where it's a it's anybody's anybody's job right now at that at that guard position. And I think that it's going to be a very very big competition. You know, you sign one in free agency and and I think Patrick's a good player, There's no question about that. I think you know he's a He's a guy that that is worthy of being signed. The Bengals do sign him to that contract and unrestricted free agency. Cordell Wolson that put on the bench toward the end of the season last year, so he's going to have to come back hard and compete for a position inside. And Cody Ford has shown that position versatility that's all so important. You know, he played both tackles and both guards last year for of the five positions, and I think you know he'll get a shot at that guard position, one of the guard positions, and rightfully so. But I do think that all things being equal, I'm not saying you necessarily do it at seventeen if there are other things available that might not be as big a priority but would make your football team better, because I do think that staying along the lines of the best available player is the best way to go.
Speaker 3: That's the way you improve your roster.
Speaker 1: I'm with you to me, the number one need is getting a starting guard, but you don't necessarily have to do it in round one. You ticked off the list of guys that they have and Hopefully new offensive line coach Scott Peters works with that group and a solid starter emerges, but they need to. Alex Kapp is gone, Cordel Bowlson his bench. So yeah, I think out of that group that you described, you can reasonably assume that a good starter is going to emerge. I just think hoping for two out of that group would be rolling the dice. So they could still sign Brandon Sheriff, Dalton Reisner, Will Hernandez somebody after the draft if they don't get the type of player they like. But this looks to be a really good draft for guards. You've got Calvin Banks would be converting from tackle to guard in the NFL, Tyler Booker, Gray Zabel, there are Day two guys Donovan Jackson, Jonah Savoy and Nya Marcus bo Tate Ratlich and others. Let's invest the necessary draft capital to get a quality guard. It's going to help protect Joe Burrow for several years to come. This is the year to do it for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And and I think another guy, Tristan Cologne guy out of Arizona, an interior you know, offensive Lineman has been another Like you said, Dan, you rattled off you guys on my list, and uh and and UH, you know, there there are probably others that the Bengals feel confident about.
Speaker 3: So I do.
Speaker 2: I do think that that that position will be addressed, and in my opinion, UH, i'd like to seeing address.
Speaker 3: More than once.
Speaker 2: And the way that they're going to do that is, I think they move back in the draft, uh with that seventeenth pick. If you know, they're right in the middle of the first round, and they've they've always got groupings of players you know, at each at each spot uh in the draft, and the Bengals with that, with that seventeenth selection, as it's as it's coming up, you know, it's like, okay, well we've got a few of our uh guys that we've got in a grouping. But man, if we can back a few and still have you know, two or three of our grouping of five available to us, let's do that. Because they've got pick seventeen, they've got forty nine. They don't pick till forty nine in the second round, and then in the third round they don't pick until eighty one. So if they can get you know, another second round pick or another third round pick and address the offensive black Zech Ruth. I don't necessarily think it's going to be a pick seventeen, but if they could, if they do get an extra pick in the second or third round, I don't necessarily think you have to go offensive lineman back to back, you know, selections. You know, if you have two second round picks, you've got to do two interior alignement with those two second round picks, or two thirds the same going with an interior alignment twice. But I do think that there's it gives you an opportunity to double down, you know, and maybe increase the odds of one of them being the kind of football player that you were hoping. And can you really give you some quality staffs in that in that rookie season, you know, I know, I know Zach and as Prusser you know, said that they're not not looking for rookies to start. They've got starters everywhere. They feel comfortable with that. But in that and that should be you know, that should be his message. I mean, everybody has to compete for a position. But I know there's there's good players out there, and and the guys, the guys that I really like, I like the way he plays, I like his career path. I like the kind of person he seems to be as well as football player Will Campbell out of l s u Uh. You know this guy. We talked about it a lot. Okay, boy, this position versatility. This guy can play guard and tackle. I haven't played you know, all five, all five of the positions I can. In my mind, it was easier to transition physically from tackle to guard to move inside from tackle to guard, but mentally much different situation. The speed of the game is a lot quicker.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: You have to make calls, You have to be quick minded, You have to recognize what the what the defense is trying to do from a structure standpoint. You have to make an appropriate call with blocking patterns take care of that. So there's a lot bigger challenge mentally kicking inside from from tackle to guard. The tackle doesn't really have to worry about a lot of that. Tackle just has to take care of his lane, you know, on that outside the traffic on the interstate. It's a lot busier inside with the between the the guards in the center, with the defensive tackles and the linebackers that can play with you and mess around and bringing safeties up into the box and all that sort of thing. So sometimes guys struggle a little bit with that. Physically not an issue from to slide from tackle to guard, but mentally, you know, can they handle it?
Speaker 3: And it seems like.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of a lot of guys that have already played both, so they've proven that, and I think, uh, there's a lot of guys that are capable of playing both but haven't been asked to yet. From a mental standpoint, it seems like there's a pretty good group. And that's the thing I think in general about this draft in is the depth. You know, I mean every position group has got some depth to it. I mean, the running back position is ridiculous. You know, there's all there's all kinds of depth there. The wide receiver position has a ton of depth to it as well, And the Bengals aren't necessarily in the market for, you know, for either of those positions, but I mean there's there's so many of them and their quality. You know, when when your pick comes up, whatever it is, what round it is, I mean that may be one of those one of those position groups, maybe the best available athlete on the board, and you pull the trigger on it because you're always looking to improve your football team.
Speaker 3: But I think that bodes well.
Speaker 2: You know, It's like there's there's maybe a little bit of a dip after the first I don't know, somewhere between five and ten picks, a little bit of a depth. Then it goes for and then there's not a fall off the cliff gip. I mean, there's maybe another little dip. But well, I'll tell you, you know, you get into the into the uh you know, second, third, and fourth rounds, even the fifth round. There's good football players there. There's there's no question about it. That's why I think trading back and accumulating another one, you know, makes some sense. The Bengals only have six draft picks. They've traditionally had had more than that in the last few years. I'd like to see it happen again.
Speaker 1: I do think they're going to trade back. I think it's most likely in round two. I was taking a look at Round one, specifically at the team's picking, you know, within a few spots behind them, and trying to take note of who had extra picks, and the one team that could conceivably make sense is Houston. They've got the twenty fifth pick, they've got an extra third rounder, and their GM, Nick Casserly is a wheeler, wheeler and dealer. I think he's averaged five draft trade a year since he's been their GM, so he loves to, you know, move up, move back, move up, move back. So it would have to make sense for somebody that Houston wants. If you look at one of those trade value charts, the value comes close to matching up with the twenty fifth pick for the seventeenth pick plus a third rounder. So you know, from a trade value stand up maybe or standpoint rather maybe. But I really think the more likely scenario is the second round because in recent years that's when the Bengals have done it. They have made a second round draft trade. In five out of the last eight years. They've moved down four times. They've moved up once when they moved up three spots to to get Cam Taylor Britt. So what can they get if they moved down in the second round? And again, look at one of those trade value charts, every spot you go back is worth ten points. So if you go back five spots, it's worth fifty points on the draft chart. If you go back ten it's worth one hundred points on the draft chart, fifty points is a fourth round pick. One hundred points is a low third round pick. So that's the kind of pick they could get by moving back in the second round. And I really think that that makes sense to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I, like we talked about a little bit earlier, the draft is still deep at that point. You know, it's not like, oh man, you move back, you're sacrificing an opportunity to get the better football players.
Speaker 3: There's still a lot of them there. You know.
Speaker 2: If you can move back and stay in the second, third, and fourth round, get an extra third round pick by moving back a little bit in the second round. I do that all day, every day in this particular draft, because the draft is.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: Hall of famer nah, I mean, you can't make any he call on a Hall of famer even before they take a snap in the National Football League, even before you know what what team they're going to does the team's uh way you're doing things fit what that player's talents are, uh physically you know some That's the thing. The draft is such a crapshoot because you're going to match the skill set of the player with the schematic that you're running and is there a fit there? And if there's not, does the player have the physical capabilities of adjusting to your schematic? And there's a lot that goes goes into that, and you're starting to roll the roll the dice a little bit. So I mean you never have slam dunk. Oh yeah, I mean if we can get an extra third round pick, we know this guy is going to be, you know, a potential pro bowler. Dah, you don't. You don't even know if your first round is going to be a potential pro bowler. But the key is increasing your odds of finding you know, that type of player, you know. And and the great Paul Brown, his his whole mindset, uh was, was draft, develop, and retain that That's what that's what he built is his uh, his legend on and it certainly was a very unbelievable legend that he built. And and he was the master and you know, identifying, you know, the first thing you have to do is identify, uh, the player does it does is it a fit like we just talked about, and then you know, draft him accordingly appropriately and then developed that player and then when that first contracts up, retain them you know, don't uh, don't go through the whole process of of uh, the the cost and and the the commitment, the work commitment that that your franchise is doing to develop the player all from the management to the coaches, to teammates to whatever, and let somebody else benefit, you know. On the second contract, the retention part of it was big for Paul.
Speaker 1: Lap on your In the Trenches podcast. You've done some great recent episodes with Mike Potts and Stephen Radissovich from the Bengals personnel department. Based on those conversations and your own research, does the strength of this draft bit the Bengals needs.
Speaker 2: I really believe so, you know, I think that, uh, that it does. I mean, you know, I think the biggest need obviously is the interior of the offensive and defensive line, like we talked about. But uh, if you draft a guy at the tackle position and he proves to be uh, you know, that's that's his best spot. Can never have enough tackles, you know, I mean, uh, if God forbid injury or or or whatever. An offensive tackle is a is a key commodity in the National Football League. Somebody that can can play that spot and uh, if it's going to take a while for him to maybe you know, be a big contributor at the tackle position, or if.
Speaker 3: He can while he's in the weight as such.
Speaker 2: Uh, you know, then then of course if he can kick in the guard and solve that problem, you know, that's huge. So I mean, drafting a guard is a big key. But again, I think if you can find a tackle that has that position flexibility and versatility, I think that's a that's a that's a big deal.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Interior defensive tackle position I think is pretty deep. You know, you have the g men out of Michigan and they're they're slated to go Graham and Grant, they're slated to go maybe a little bit a little bit higher. But you know, I think I think the defensive tackle position is is very very deep. And then the edge rush position, I mean, there's a bunch of good edge rush guys. And in the National Football League, a big thing that you need is somebody to heat up the passer, get after the quarterback and not necessarily you know, running up a huge tab sacks all that, although that would be great, but just pressuring him even uh is viotally important. And uh, you shrinking the pocket on the quarterback, not letting the quarterback just stand there comfortably in the pocket and and pick you apart, or maybe climb the pocket and buy time to pick you apart. And when you push the pocket, you obstruct his vision. So the middle of the football field becomes cloudy for the quarterback. And that's always a big deal.
Speaker 3: You know. He sometimes they're throwing the football.
Speaker 2: And they're hoping and guessing a little bit that it's going to be, you know, where they hope to successfully make a completion.
Speaker 3: So it that I think, I think that's a that's a big deal.
Speaker 2: But I do think there's there's depth that just about every position group in this in this draft, it may not be a draft that has you know, more Hall of famers potential Hall of famers than any other draft in the history of the National Football League.
Speaker 3: Or more Pro Bowl.
Speaker 2: Players in the early stages of their career than any other draft in the history of the National Football League. There's a lot of damn good football players in this draft that can help help you build out a roster and improve your franchise in the National Football League. And I think the Bengals, you know, hopefully take full advantage of it, and again like to see him get another pick in so doing.
Speaker 1: I do think that the strength of the draft is the trenches, and that obviously would fit the Bengals needs. And I think it's worth pointing out that while it is good in the trenches this year, it's not necessarily a great offensive tackle draft, unlike last year. If Amarus Mims was in this draft, I think he's one of the top tackles on the board. He might go top ten or top five if he were in this draft. And last year, because there were so many great tackles, he was the fifth tackle taken and the number eighteen player overall. So strength and need lined up really nicely for the Bengals last year. And then looking at it in a different way, it sounds like the relative weakness of this draft is quarterback and wide receiver. Not that there aren't good ones, but there may be aren't great ones. It sounds like the wide receivers in particular, you know a bunch of good ones, a bunch that will play for you, but not necessarily number ones. And who knows about the quarterbacks, they seem like it's kind of a crapshoot year where the quarterbacks are concerned. In this division, the Browns and Steelers need quarterbacks. They'll probably use a high pick on a guy that will be forced to play at some point, and if he turns out to be a bus that could sent two of their rivals back a little bit. So I think it's a year where not only do the strengths fit the Bengals needs, but the weaknesses don't help some of their key rivals.
Speaker 3: I agree, I agree, and I think you know this draft.
Speaker 2: Quarterbacks are always the value of the quarterback is paramount in the National Football League. Obviously, quarterback if it's not the most important position, and it is the most important position in football, if it's not the most important position in all of sports, I don't know what. I don't know what other position is. So everybody's looking for their quarterback. And and for that reason, you know, cam Ward, Shadura, Sanders Jackson, darn those guys. And I hope every one of them. I hope they all go in the top five.
Speaker 3: I hope, I hope.
Speaker 2: They they go up and they're shaking the Commissioner's hand right away, you know, I mean, I hope, I hope that's the h I hope that's the case as many of those guys and as many wide receivers as possible. So when it does get down to seventeen, the Bengals have a plethora. It's like, man, are you kidding me? We're definitely trading back. We've got we've got options at the interior offensive line position, in the interior defensive line position. We have options in multiple, multiple spots. But if for some reason, you know, a player is sliding, it's like because of that, because all the quarterbacks and other people are being taken, you know, early early on in the in the draft. And I don't think the Bengals move up, but they could very well stay at seventeen. They say, man, it might make sense to sit tight here because look at some of the stuff that's falling.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's like, let's let's be patient, let's be prudent.
Speaker 2: And uh, you know, they they they showed that, uh the Joe Burrow Draft. They draft Joe Burrow and they sit tight and there's uh, there's Te Higgins, you know, sitting there at the uh at the with the thirty third pick of the draft, and the and the Bengals, you know, they they had targeted him and he was wanted. When he fell to them, it was incredible that that he was there, and they were very very fortunate and blessed, and lo and behold there's Logan Wilson, you know, in the third round. So they get three guys that they in that draft that they had identified, you know, as as guys that they they held in high regard, and all three of them, you know, fall to them. So sometimes patience is a virtue, uh, not only in life in general, but in the draft as well. And the Bengals have shown that they've shown an ability to trade trade back. So so it'll be interesting to see how how how draft day doesn't pulled and how early some of these quarterbacks go, because they're always going to be picked earlier than I'm not saying that they deserve necessarily, but earlier than anticipated. I mean a lot of a lot of people. And it all depends on your need. I mean, if you need a quarterback, hell, you're going to have them all up there, real high on your on your draft board. If you're like the Bengals with Joe Burrow, they're not. Everybody's draft board is different for those reasons. Based on those needs. That's why everybody has a uh, you know, has an organizational mock draft, and there's thirty two of the of franchises and thirty two drafts mock drafts of those franchises. They're all going to be different because every one of them has has a different need, and maybe the top fifty players that each each team puts on the board could be similar, and there may be just a little bit of movement, you know, and some of those positional rankings because of need, you're always going to factor need in. So the fact that the Bengals don't need a quarterback, I think is anytime you go into a draft not needing the important position to function as a team, you're in pretty good shape.
Speaker 1: Lap the Bengals top thirty visits included Ohio State running backs Trayvon Henderson and Quinn Shawn Judkins. Henderson's projected as a second round pick. Judkins is projected as a second or third round pick. They've got Chase Brown, They're bringing back some JP Ryan. This week, it was announced that they've renegotiated a contract with Zach Moss. So, assuming his neck is okay, it looks like he could be back. What do you make of the Bengals interest in these early round running backs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I think, like we talked about, the running back position is probably the star position in this year's draft in terms of quality player depth, and I think as much as anything doing their due diligence. You know, another guy like is Omarion Hampton out of North Carolina. I think you know, he's got size, he's got uh skills. I mean, there's so many of these running backs that they're not just able to run. They can, obviously, but they're not a one trick pony. It's not Oh, give them the football and they can. They can run the football and that's it.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: These guys they run the football at a high level, but then they can run routes and catch the football at a high level. And most importantly or very importantly in the National Football because we talk about how it being a passing league, and Joe Burrow in the Cincinnati Bengals are very much and not an embarrassed or ashamed to say that we throw the football. So you got to have your running backs to be able to put their nose in right down the middle of people and pick them up and blitz, pick up and that's where Samaji p run I think that's such a big acquisition and as an understood to free agent because man, I mean, he's a big guy under six feet tall, but Wayne two unning thirty pounds, you know, and he has to make you miss to him, and he can run you over as well.
Speaker 3: There's nothing a defender hates more than.
Speaker 2: A back, like, oh, man, do I go in there and anchor hard because he's gonna try to run me over. But if I do that, he's gonna make me miss. And if I go in there soft, he's gonna lower his pads and run me over.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: And Somaji can do that at that type of thing to you in the running game. And then he's always been a really good rout runner and capture the football. And since he's been with the Cincinnati Bengals and now back, he was good at blitz pick up, but he's become outstanding. I mean, he's one of the best blitz pickup guys in all of football. He sticks his nose right down the middle of people and no no matter who they are, if it's a linebacker, that is his responsibility. If he's doesn't have any blitzer, if he has to help an offensive lineman that may have been having some trouble and getting beaten by a defense. He'll stick his nose right in there on that defensive lineman. I mean, he's he's a valuable, valuable asset. So I mean, I think a lot of these running backs give you, you know, that type of thing, and there's there's a good number of them, so I think you do your due diligence, and you can never have enough of those guys either. And so it'll be interesting to see how high a running back does go to the Cincinnati Bengals, because it looks like you know they're going to address that position at some point in time. And as Paul Brown, the Great Paul Brown said as well, you can never have enough players to put points on the board for you.
Speaker 3: The guys will score touchdowns.
Speaker 2: So when there's a guy that can score touchdowns that's available to you in the draft and a spot that you felt there's no way in hell that person was going to be there, you got to pull the trader man.
Speaker 1: I was a little surprised that they brought those Ohio State guys in only because I can't see them using a high pick. This year on a running back, but Chase Brown was a fifth round pick, number one sixty three overall. I think there are a lot of Chase Browns in this draft. I feel like I saw about six of them in the Big twelve. I mean, you see is Corey Kiner as a really good football player. I think he can play in the NFL. I don't think he's going to get drafted this year, just because there are so many good running backs in the Big twelve.
Speaker 3: R J.
Speaker 1: Harvey from UCF, DJ Geddons from Kansas State, Cam Skataboo, who is awesome for Arizona State, TOAJ Brooks from Texas Tech, Devin Neil from Kansas. It seemed like every team had an NFL caliber running back and they're probably all Day three guys. Maybe one of the guys I mentioned sneaks into the third round, like Skataboo, but I think most of those guys that I mentioned will either be Day three or maybe even undrafted free agents. So if you're looking to add depth at running back, you don't have to do it high this year.
Speaker 2: No question, no question about it. And you know the combine. I got a copy of the players that showed up at the combine. And that doesn't mean you know that there's a player out there that's going to get drafted that that you know wasn't at the combine, or wasn't it wasn't at the combine.
Speaker 3: But you know, the.
Speaker 2: Combine is a pretty good example of what NFL teams think about about players. And for example, they're there are from an offensive lineman standpoint twenty five caliber center guard, interior offensive line candidates went to the combine. I'm looking at I don't know, maybe a half a dozen that the Bengals would have significant interest in same thing. You know, for the tackle position, twenty five of those and there's you know, maybe half a dozen.
Speaker 3: The running back position they had the most.
Speaker 2: I mean, they had so many people to combine and they might have had a dozen guys that I think, Man, you know what, you got to take a second look at this guy. You're gonna maybe take a third look at this guy. And even even if you're set at the running back position, the the the odds of an injury, unfortunately at the running back position a hell of a lot more than they are at the at the tackle position or the guards position or whatever else. So you can never have enough of those of those type of players, So I do. I do believe there's gonna be a lot of running backs drafted in this draft, for sure, And then they don't. They'll they'll come as as college free agents and have a legitimate chance of making a football team or a practice squader, or where the case may be.
Speaker 1: The Bengals first third round pick last year was Jermaine Burton. He's still on the roster, so the Bengals have not given up on him, but will last year's experience where they took him despite some red flags, have any impact on what they do in this year's draft.
Speaker 2: You always learn lessons, you know, and and if if it doesn't work out, and you're you know, you're you're getting close to that fire and you got it. You know you're you're out and it's a cold evening, you want to get your body warm. You get close to that fire, and close to that fire, then all of a sudden you get so close and it burns you so and uh and in that situation you make a call and uh and and you roll the dice and and might get burned a little bit. I think every case is an individual study. I heard Zach Taylor talk about that that phraseology in his press and I thought that was a that was a good good way to put it. Every player is an individual case study. So but but part of of what you experienced there, you learn from it and you put it in the memory bank and you put it in the files that you can reference back to from an organizational standpoint, So I do think that there was.
Speaker 3: A learning uh.
Speaker 2: Uh, a lesson learned, I think in the drafting of Burton. And I do think that Burton was a highly regarded I mean, you know, mid first round caliber type player, and they got him in the third you know, and so they probably thought, you know, a third round pick is still a valuable pick, and ain't the middle of the first round. So maybe we maybe we take a little bit of a chance here and and uh and see what happens. And that's not to say that that Burton doesn't grow from his mistakes. You know that he made last year from a behavior standpoint, But the the the alarming thing is that the pattern continued, you know, I mean, you hope that now that he's a pro and he's making money and has an opportunity to make money, that would would take care of his family for multiple generations, potentially might give him a little inkling to change some of his ways, and the fact that it necessarily didn't can be alarming. So yeah, there's a lot to be learned there for sure. But again, as Zach said, every player is an individual case study.
Speaker 1: The Bengals had three extra draft picks last year. They've got one fewer than they should have this year. One of those extra picks last year was in the third round, So they took a calculated risk on Jermaine Burton because, as you mentioned, he had first round talent, and at least so far, it hasn't worked out very well. I don't think it was a bad gamble every team. Yeah, every team takes calculated risks in the draft. Sometimes we know about it, sometimes we don't. They often work. Randy Moss and Warren Warren Sap had red flags during the Hall of Fame. Jalen Carter had major red flags a couple of years ago. He just helped Eagles win the Super Bowl. You do your best on those individual case studies to evaluate the person and decide if he's worth the risk. I don't see the Bengals taking big risks this year because they only have six picks, not because they are scared off from what happened with Jermaine last year.
Speaker 3: I agree one hundred thousand percent with that. Dan.
Speaker 2: And you know, it's it's funny when you're talking about although it's not quite the same these days with college football because you have multi millionaires playing the college football transfer a portal, money and all that kind of thing, and money to keep players out of the transfer for a portal. I mean, it's it's it's a crazy uh, it's a crazy deal now in college football. But I remember back in the day, one concern that organizations had was how will money change a guy? You know, it's like, here's a guy that through high school and college, maybe even earlier than that, his way out of a tough way of life with sports and and you know, realized that he had to, uh, somebody let them down the proper path of Okay, make sure you keep track of academics, where uh the fact that you might be progressing with your athletic career, your academic career doesn't allow you to advance, you know you're going to be in trouble. So you know, you get guys that some guys fell off the off the wagon after their high school careers because they didn't take advice about the academics. Guys that took advice about academics go to the collegiate ranks and and and you know, continue to develop and build their careers. And then they go to the National Football League and make money. And boy, I'll tell you, I saw I saw cases of it. You know, guys would get that uh that signing bonus and and be different guys. I mean, the the the irresponsibility portion of their of their personality came out, you know, full force.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: I mean it was crazy. And they couldn't get the money in the bank positive quickly enough to cover the fact they were buying them as erati or whatever. I mean, it's like, oh, man, are you kidding me? Uh so, yeah, It's it's interesting. It's you don't know how things are going to affect players and maybe change them a little bit. And every every single draft pick I shouldn't say every single but a high percentage of the draft picks, or if there's there's some risk involved, you know, there's some you don't know exactly what you're gonna get, Like like when the Bengals selected Kenny Anderson, and he panned out like he did. You know, they felt like they knew what they were going to get and they got it. Joe Burrow, they felt like they knew where they were going to get and they got it. Boomer Sisen. They felt like they knew where they were going to get and they got it. And that you know, that's just the most important position of the quarterback position. But there have been a ton around the league where it hasn't panned out that way, and for the Bengals as well at the quarterback position, UH in other positions. So the draft is it's referred to as a crapshoot for reason, and a good reason.
Speaker 1: Really, did you get a Maserati with your signing bonus?
Speaker 3: No, I was.
Speaker 2: I was already married when and I get married right before UH training camp started my rookie year, and so I responsibly purchased a a Chevrolet Monte Carlo.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 2: But that was the first car I ever owned, man, I mean I didn't have I didn't have two Nichols in that regard, and it was I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 3: It's like wow, but yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: It wasn't what I guess you'd consider the family car as such. But I didn't go crazy, but I you know, I kind of wanted a little bit of Hey did Monty Carlo? Yeah, cruise around Wakefield mask will be Hey what up?
Speaker 3: Boys? Yeah? Remember me? Yeah.
Speaker 1: Much more with Lap to Gum, including our first round predictions. But first, here's a quick reminder that the Bengals Booth podcast is brought to you by pay Corps, proud to be the Bengals Official HR software provider, by Alta Fiber future proof fiber Internet designed to elevate your home, business and community to a new level, and by Kettering Health the best care for the best fans. Kettering Health is the official healthcare provider of the Bengals. All right, we are going to get to our predictions in just a bit, But first, do you have a few Day two or Day three guys that you like?
Speaker 2: Donovan Jackson out of Ohio State, Uh, I'd like I like looking at uh at him a little bit as as an offensive lineman. I'm not sure where Luke Candor out of you see, you know all about him Dan Elder High School went to Louisville. You know, I think I think he's uh, he's a guy that, uh that has some potential. Charles Grant out of William and mary as A as an interior offensive lineman, I think, uh, you know, has has some uh.
Speaker 3: Some potential appeal.
Speaker 2: Kate Ratlic, you know, I think I don't think he's necessarily a first rounder, but you know, second or third round I jump all over all over that.
Speaker 3: I think Josh.
Speaker 2: Simmons, I think uh uh seven eah, like you mentioned out of Arizona. I think those guys will probably be gone. Jared Wilson out of Georgia. He's a center, but could he play guard? I mean, you know, you think maybe maybe that would be the case. I know long teams have grays abel as A as a first rounder, maybe a late first rounder. I'm not sure. I'm not sure he'd be there, you know, in the second round. I think the Bengals would have to maybe you know, move up to get him. But he might be there, you know, in the late second round. And a guy like that, potentially uh Jordan Phillips out of Maryland, big defensive lineman, they might be able to even get him in the fourth or fifth round. I think I think that guy is one, that one that might hold some some merit in that regard.
Speaker 3: Dion Walker out of Kentucky, Big old beast.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure he goes in the first round, but would he be there in the second potentially? I mean, the three and forty five pounds space eater man. He's a he's a he's a powerful human being.
Speaker 3: TYLERK. Williams out of Ohio State. Second round.
Speaker 2: You know, maybe there's there's there's quite a few really and then of course, I mean I'm just looking at the at the defensive defensive line scenario here. Jack Sawyer interesting candidate. People have him he's not a first rounder. Other people, oh yeah, he's a definite first rounder. A lot of people have in the second round. Would he would he go as low as the second round as the Bengals are. I'm not sure that that would be the case, but you know, he's an interesting guy. Shamar Stewart out of Texas A and m if he's there in the in the in the second round.
Speaker 3: Uh. Jehad Campbell out of out of Alabama. I like that guy.
Speaker 2: I think he's another I like the Campbell boys. I think you know, he's another one that if he's there in the second round, you'd have to you'd have to jump on him. Jack Kaiser out of Notre Dame as a as a linebacker. Al Golden knows all about that kid. You know if he if he's there in that uh in that portion of the draft, you uh do you make the make the move there?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: Jaylen Walker out of Georgia, you know. I mean he's got a lot of versatility. He can play off the ball as well as rush the passer. He's physically athletically gifted. So yeah, I mean the list is and then again another Notre Dame uh potential at the at the corner position, Benjamin Moore. I'm not sure that he's there in the second round. I think Al Golden would definitely give us some serious consideration. Then his running mate Xavier Watts at safety on a Notre Dame. I mean, he's he's one that would probably be there in those third fourth round kind of guy potentially. So there's a good number. I mean, like we talked about this, this is a keep draft, and I think you know the fact that players of that caliber would be there when we're when we're talking about that, that possibility confirms that, all.
Speaker 1: Right, you mentioned several of my favorite Day two or Day three guys, I'll give you at least one other name that I've got, and he is a guy from our alma mater, running back Laquint Allen. I think would be a great fit for what the Bengals do on offense because he is a real dual threat. He ran for more than a thousand yards. But he also set the Syracuse record for catches by a running back last year. He had sixty four catches out of the backfield. He's only twenty years old. Because of this really deep pool of running backs, I think he'll be there on Day three. So if they go for a running back I like laquin Allen, I'll mention a Day two edge rusher. I think he'll be Day two Ashton Gilotti from Louisville. He is a guy that our mutual friend Joe Goodberry really likes. Tremendous athletic testing, good production at Louisville, and he seems to be a little bit under the radars. So not sure if he'll be there at pick number forty nine, but maybe he is, and if so, I think he'd be a good fit. I like a Day three pass rusher Kyle Connard from South Carolina, the SEC Defensive Player of the Year last year. He won the Bronco on a Gerski Award. Probably a situational pass rusher projected to go on Day three, but hey, the Bengals could use a guy that fits that description. You mentioned a couple of the Notre Dame defensive guys that I really like. Xavier Watts, the safety would be tremendous if he's there in Round two. Thirteen interceptions over the last two years, so it would probably take pick number forty nine to get him. Jake Kaiser another guy you mentioned. He played in seventy games at Notre Dame, a captain last year. Little bit undersized, a good, not great athlete, but Al Golden would certainly know exactly what he can and cannot do and would know how to use him. And then I also want to get back to Luke Candra out of UC and Elder High School. If they were to double down on interior offensive lineman, he would be a great candidate. His dream is to stay home and play for the Bengals to be the next you know, Kevin Huber High School, college and pro in Cincinnati. Two time All American, two time All Big twelve, Great Pro Football Focus grades, a captain, a leader. He's going to be there on Day three. He might even be available after the draft. I hope for his sake that's not the case. But I would really love to see him wind up in a Cincinnati Bengals uniform.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'd love to see that as well.
Speaker 2: You know a guy that Elder High School Louisville now with the Cincinnati Bengals. I mean, that'd be a storybook scenario to his career. I think Scott Peters, the offensive line coach, could could take a guy like that and really work with him. And and you know the fact that the Bengals, we mentioned Al Golden on the defensive side of the football, and there are other multiple defensive coaches that are new to the staff on his side of things, and Al Golden he knows what he's looking at in terms of these players. And the thing about Al when you think about it, is, Shoot, he was at the collegiate level. I mean, he coached Notre Dame all the way to the National championship. So he looked at just reams and rings of tape of players as he was prepping uh for the Notre Dame fighting Iris's schedule, and they play a very good schedule and again they go all the way to the National championship game.
Speaker 3: So he what an asset.
Speaker 2: He is in the draft room right now talking to the organization and the scouts and everybody else about his opinion. And I know Duke Tobin uh wants in Mike Brown, it starts with him. Wants everybody in the organization to have a voice and have an opinion. And Al Golden is going to have a very strong voice and a lot of opinions on not only the Notre Dame players that we talk about, that the defensive players that he coached, that he knows intimately as in terms of football players and human beings. That's that's invaluable information. And guys that man, I'll tell you about when we were game planning against this dude.
Speaker 3: What a beast.
Speaker 2: I mean this guy, shoot, I think he grated one hundred percent pass protection watching him and tape all year long, I mean this this guy is an animal.
Speaker 3: Nobody beats this kid.
Speaker 2: And this running back, Oh my gosh, man, we having round two or three guys and need jucas.
Speaker 3: And off he goes and.
Speaker 2: I mean those those kind of personal experiences, I think are are big. So I think uh, I think Al Golden and uh and guys, you know, they came from other organizations, you know, like the the other coaches, other organizations in the National Football League. When you get that kind of experience in your game planning against other teams, and then like the normand Patriots, New Orleans Faints where these coaches come from. And in the division teams that that these teams play, uh, the the in the a C and the NFC respectively, in their in their divisions, and and every team in the NFL crosses over and plays you know, everybody every four years, you know. I mean, so there's a lot of uh, there's a lot of new new voices and new opinions in that draft room as they're getting ready for the draft. And I think that's good. I think I think it's gonna be Uh. They're they're going to be armed, well armed, and prepare for every every conceivable opportunity that might crop up in the draft and in free agency as well. You know, you're talking about guys unrestricted free agents. Now, I'm not sure they're going to be spending a whole lot more money on unrestricted free agency. It will be more the secondary market probably after the draft. Like we talked about, uh, there there may be another another push. But you know, men, you've you've prepped for all these guys. We talked about al at the collegiate level, at the professional level. All these guys have done the same thing, broken the takedown and talked about you know, these opponents and uh and how good they are and what we considered to be their strengths and weaknesses from an organizational standpoint when we were playing against them and taking that that information is valuable and bring it to Cincinnati. It might be the same, but there might be some new input that's extremely valuable. So I think that the new coaching staff is going to be very very significant in terms of what the Bengals decide to do with respect to a round by round basis in the draft. And I'm sure they've already had him put in unrestricted free agency as well.
Speaker 1: We have just about arrived at prediction time. But before we get to putting you on the spot and putting myself on the spot, who do you have in the mix your final candidates to be the seventeenth overall pick.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, there's there's all all kinds of all kinds of candidates out there. I will say that, Uh, you know, mel kiper I looked at I looked at his his top you know, I guess twenty just recently came out and it's a lot different, you know than a lot of other other people's top twenty. But there there are there's a multiple list of candidates. So honestly, I think, uh, you know, Will cam is probably my my number one guy. I think if I had to, if I had to make a pick, uh, and you know, it's just you know, you're gonna be locked in a room you can't make you can't be unlocked out of that room until you decide who you're who you're taking. You know, at seventeen, I think Will Campbell gives gives a tremendous amount of tremendous amount of value there, So it I probably you know, lean toward that, But I mean, there'd be so many guys potentially there. If Jaylon Walker is there, Uh, you know, this guy can play outside linebacker, inside linebacker, slot corner, you know, Mike Green out of out of Marshall, if he if he's there, you have to you have to consider, you know, a guy like that, and I mean, uh a Buka at Buka out of a house state at why receiver, I mean he falls into that that kind of that kind of category. Will Johnson potentially cornerback out of Michigan. I mean, there are there are so many guys that that you look at Jihad Campbell, the other Campbell, I mean looking at him, linebacker out of Alabama, like you know, like that guy potentially Gray's Abel out of uh North Dakota State, a smaller school.
Speaker 3: But man, he dominated. He dominated at North Dakota State.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's He's a guy that could be right there in the middle of the first round for the Cincinnati Bengals take would that be a little rich?
Speaker 3: You know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: He's unbelievable pass protector. I think is he the one man that might have been a wide receiver or a running back before he converted.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he converted.
Speaker 2: To uh uh in the office of I know, I know he's very athletic and but and he's he's a little bit undersized. Uh, he's really good pass protector. Thh man, He's got movement skills. He's very athletic. My concern I guess on him would be, you know, handling these big, huge, two gaping defensive tackles. That's not necessarily you know, his big strength is is moving moving guys like that Derek Harmon, a defensive tackle lot of Oregon. There's medical concerns I guess with him now, but he's a heck of an interior pass rush guy. Uh Matt Gold and another receiver out of Texas. I mean, this guy runs a four two nine. If he slides all the way down to there, you know it's is he Is he worth looking at? And you know, hell yeah. Amaron Hampton the running back that I that I like. I mean, there's I could go. I could go on and on. You know, there's gonna be a quarterback obviously in that air, but not not interested in any of that noise. And that's for sure. But it's it's gonna be it's gonna be interesting. There's there's a a good number of guys. But I think if I had to, if I had to pick, because I I think Will Campbell not only from a you know, a football player standpoint, I think he played tackle or I think he could do either and do either he's gets drafted. You know, you've got a pair of book ends, Orlando Brown and our big boy men's like you talk about Dan who has got what that's just the bookends are huge, humongous. I mean big ath what the guys that tackle position? So do you draft another tackle? Well, yeah, well he play right away. Maybe kick him inside the guard. I mean I think he'd be I think he'd make that transition very easily because he's got tremendous football IQ. You know, he's got leadership qualities. They rave about him as a person, and that's what the uh, that's what Zach Taylor has done in the Bengals organization has done. Has has made the culture that they've you know developed here in Cincinnati, I think is second to none. And it's become a destination.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Every that the Bengal was probably interviewed in terms of unrestricted free agency and the draft, would you have answers in coming to Cincinnati?
Speaker 3: Son? Hell, yeah, man, you got Joe Burrow, you got this, you got that.
Speaker 2: I mean, the the Cincinnati Bengals have developed at pretty good roster, good good culture. It's a destination, man, and there's nothing better when your organization has become a destination and you're living in high cotton.
Speaker 1: I have seven guys in the mix for me as the seventeenth overall pick two defensive tackles. You mentioned Derek Harmon from Oregon, He's one. Walter Nolan from Ole Miss is the other. I've got Mike Green from Marshall is my one edge in my final seven guys. I've got two safeties, Malachi Starks and Nick Evan Wory.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I've got two offensive linemen, Tyler Booker and Kelvin Banks. Harmon is six' five athletic interior pass, rusher number one by far according TO pff for interior pressures last year in college. Football The bengals could obviously use. That nolan is six,' four tremendous quickness of very disruptive interior linement in the running and. Passing game there are some character concerns there That the bengals would have to be. Okay with green is my favorite among the. Edge guys, he's twitchy. He's violent he was number one in the country in sacks last year. With seventeen does have assault charges in, his past but his Coaches at virginia And then marshall rave. ABOUT him i think he Looks Like trey hendrickson two point zero to ME when i watch his Footage From Marshall, malachi starks the safety Out of georgia is about as close as sure thing as you. Can get, to me three year starter quarterback of Those great, georgia defenses never missed. A game. Team leader the last Time the bengals were really good, on defense They Had. Jesse bates this guy has a Lot Of jesse bates, to him. To me and then There's Nick, emon warri arguably the best athlete in the draft on a defense that lacks big. Play guys he could Be it pick six's fumbles forced from. Jarring hits he's like a More Athletic kyle hamilton. Creating havoc and then you have the, Two Guards tyler Booker And, kelvin banks who would be a. CONVERTED tackle i Interviewed former Alabama Quarterback tyler, watts recently who's the analyst on the. Radio broadcasts he put it, this way every quarterback in the world would Want Five tyler bookers in front. Of them, physically imposing elite pass protector with, a big magnetic Personality Like Orlando. Brown Junior, like orlando not necessarily a, great athlete that's the knock, on HIM but i do think he's going to be successful IN. The nfl And Then kelvin banks left Tackle, at texas so there's always a bit of a gamble and you move him to guard IN. The nfl but he's a much better Athlete, than BOOKER and i think he could eventually become your starting left Tackle After Orlando, Brown junior so some potential extra. Value there so those are my Seven guys i've identified as The ones i'm really focusing on at pick.
Speaker 2: Number seventeen, You Know walter nolan you talk About the green led the country in sacks. With Seventeen walter nolan led the nation in twelve tackles, for loss that LED. The fbs so he's one of those guys that is, a disruptor, you know hit a. Gap penetrate, so yeah it's gonna it's gonna. BE interesting, I Mean, al golden do these guys fit WHAT who i? Should say who fits best to what he wants to do or he has so much in his in his repertoire that he Can say i'm going to take this guy and just MODIFY what i do to fit this. Guy's STRENGTHS and i think that's the definition of a Great. COACHING uh i think that That's What paul, brown again uh and his coaching staff they were so, good at. IS adapting i mean they had they had a uh a structure in mind what they wanted to. Do schematically BUT if i might Read From penn state, with that, you know unbelievable quickness and burst and first step quickness and all of that, is available take them and if you, have to, you know modify and adjust a, little bit uh to basically align align yourself with this.
Speaker 3: Skill set so.
Speaker 2: Be it, you know when you when you have a when you have a guy that could be that type of a, disruptive force, you know you you. Proceed accordingly, so yeah it's it's going to, be interesting uh interesting to see exactly what uh, you know what What the bengals decide, to do how they decide to. Do it they're all as. WE'VE shown i think there are a lot of very very good football players. Out there and it's not just a position. OR two i think it's a lot. Of positions in, this draft there is position death and, You know THAT'S why i think That. THE bengals i think they're going to make a lot of hay in, the, second, third fourth.
Speaker 3: FIFTH round i.
Speaker 2: Really do even if they stayed, the inn they stayed right where they are with, THEIR picks i think they're gonna make a lot. Of hay and then You Mentioned. TREY henderson i guess that that's obviously. Big priority get that bad, boy done get. HIM signed, i mean, they said go out and see what kind of the kind of trade market there. Would be there's multiple teams out there that would Trade For. Trey henderson but they're not going to pay thirty million dollars a year to compensate them and the first round pick to have the the right to compensate them another thirdy you know that. Thirty million so you Know, the bengals you know they're not going to take a third, round pick or, you know even a second, round pick unless it's, real high whatever the case. May be both both it takes two. To tango both have to be satisfied with the with the. TRADE arrangement i don't think there's going to be A trade i think there's a trade market, out there there's, trade value there's a lot of teams see the Value In, tredy henderson but so Do, the bengals And the bengals have them, under contract and they in order to keep, Them happy i'd give them.
Speaker 3: Fifteen million i'd give them a. Signing bonus.
Speaker 2: Fifteen million he's at fifteen, point eight sixteen, point two somewhere in. That range get them up over. Thirty Million, say trey You're a. Bengal man we. Love you, you know we. Understand You, les cincinnati you love, your teammates you love, it here we love.
Speaker 3: You too, thirty.
Speaker 2: Million and then the next year bonus money, goes down the. Salaries arrives keep them around that thirty million dollars thirty to thirty low thirties compensation for. Multiple years keep one of the best, heads rushers if not, the best In The national football Here. IN cincinnati, i mean you can't let seventeen sacks, walk Because Like paul, brown said, you know they didn't, draft them but they got him in the trade and they've been instrumental in. His development he'll he'll verbalize that retain this.
Speaker 3: Dude man.
Speaker 2: Retain them and that's What the bengals have done a good job of with what they did in resigning some of these. Younger players dan they, identified them they, drafted them they developed them and.
Speaker 3: Retained Them, Joe Burrow JAMAR. Chase. T higgins YOU know gasicki a.
Speaker 2: Big contract, you know he came from, another team but they they developed him and. Retain him SAYING. With, Pj, HILL so i mean retaining people is the biggest is the. BIGGEST thing, i mean don't let a player go unless his playing abilities. Have diminished you know that then players cut themselves and that in. That scenario but don't don't don't let a player go because you've, been there responsible and how you've handled your, salary cap, you know and you have so much money in the last year or two of the contract that it's like it's inconceivable that you're able to fulfill.
Speaker 3: The obligation and the player.
Speaker 2: KNOWS too, i mean there are players out there now that one of the reasons they're, out there but one is age and the OTHER is i mean they are sorry. Cap Casualties the bengals aren't. About That the bengals are all About What paul brown used to reference as a. Square deal if we, sign you we expect to. Fulfill it we expect you to fulfill your endo the bargain, as well and that's a. Square DEAL and I think bengal has done a pretty good job. OF that, i mean you got teams out there, sixty million sixty, six million, you know in, cap Jail the bengals, six million one of the least amounts In The National. Football league so they've done a pretty Good Job katie Blackburn and troy, And Everybody Paul, brown junior, you know managing the salary cap and not having. Ego contracts, irresponsible contracts you know that get a lot of publicity when they're, initially signed but in the end you. Get problems and those problems don't. Go away there's a hangover and. The hangover, you know when, you're drinking you get. A hangover eventually it. Goes away when you're irresponsible to these, ego contracts the hangover.
Speaker 3: Gets, worse man it doesn't. Go away it's a nightmare.
Speaker 1: All right time FOR the espn chime and My Best roger goodell imitation to get this officially on.
Speaker 3: The record.
Speaker 1: With the seventeenth pick in the twenty TWENTY Five, nfl Draft The cincinnati, Bengals select i'm.
Speaker 2: Gonna, you know you make a great argument for a lot of a lot, of Players but I'm Still i'm i'm gonna go with. MY man, I mean i know it's the former offense of lineman, in Me and i'll fully, admit It but i've grown to Love Will. Campbell Man but i'd be happy all the players that we threw. Out, there shoot every single one of them can help this. Football TEAM but i would like to see the big Boy. From, Elision, HONESTLY dan i don't think he's going to. BE there I think i think he'll. Be GONE but i think that's maybe one of the reasons that if he for some reason were to, be THERE would i would jump up and you'd have to put a harness on me to bring me back to. MY seat i jump up and run to that table to uh to make. That selection?
Speaker 1: All right my Pick Is. Derek harmon and this, is truly, for me the best player, available scenario because they've already devoted free agency dollars in draft capital on. Defensive tackles they RE Signed, bj hill THEY. Signed, tj slayton They drafted Jenkins and jackson. Last year do you want all of those guys to play, this year but none of them is a high level. Pass Rusher derek harmon gives you the best hope of Having Your chris Jones Or, cam hayward who really creates havoc in the middle of the. Defensive line how much better would this defense be with a guy shrinking, the pocket, getting sacks, getting pressures batting. Down passes he's, Six' five he's, got long. Arms good athleticism if you want To Copy the Super, bowl champion eagles then build a. Dominant defensive line harmon would be a. Great first step he's my. GUY at seventeen i really Wanted To. TAKE malacky Starks I think al golden would love having that quarterback in the back. Of his secondary and even though you know he didn't run a great time, at the combine he ran a four. Five point forty he was really good in all of the other football drills in in terms, OF his Athleticism I think melachi starks is going, To Be great but i'm Settling In on derek harmon is my pick, at Number seventeen.
Speaker 3: And i'd be. Thrilled with that that would not.
Speaker 2: BOTHER me, WHATSOEVER i mean i do think that He's like the philadelphia eagleshould talk about they were too deep across the board in.
Speaker 3: Terms of waves.
Speaker 2: Of defensive linemen they throw in there and keep them fresh and just rush the hell out. Of the Quarterback and And derek harmon is is the best interior pass rusher in the draft, in my opinion because he's got the length like, you talk about plus he's he's, got a big big. TOOLBOX of, moves i mean he's not just a one trick pony In terms of i'm gonna. Bull, rush it okay, that's this week and then, The next week i'm going to just speed rush you on the edge of your shoulder.
Speaker 1: As a guard and.
Speaker 2: THE three, technique i mean he's he's got a myriad of things that he can he can go TO and AND i think i, think he, would he would he'd be a heck. Of a, pick and again like, we talked, ABOUT you KNOW i guess i can with four tongue a Little bit, because, i'm saying well they committed so many dollars offensively an, unrestricted free agency let's take care. Of the DEFENSE what am i doing as a, Former offensive lineman i've taken an interior offensive lineman BECAUSE that's where i.
Speaker 3: WOULD put him i, would draft him put him In a guard and my.
Speaker 2: Reasoning number nine you know he uh he got hit a lot last year. And he's courageous you'll hold the football as long as any Quarterback In The national football league in order to uh make sure that, that you know. Everything plays out he he is the master at finding something late uh And uh and i'm sure he drives. Defensive backs crazy and then you obviously he's got the athleticism to climb the pocket and get out of the pocket and uh roll to his right and left like. We talked, about, but, uh IF if if I Do take will campbell the final piece to solidify that that offense because like like we, were talking about the guard. POSITION needs help i do think that that's probably the biggest need on. The football, team and, unfortunately you know, For the defense i'm gonna take that guy to, fill that Need and then i've probably used every other pick. On the defense i'm gonna use a lot of the picks. On the defense there's no. Question about, THAT but. HONESTLY i.
Speaker 3: Would i Would.
Speaker 2: There's and i'm Not Saying it's will campbell, or A bust, but i'm saying at some, point in time you know that that is the area that that needs. To be Fulfilled if the bengals, Have You, Know Will, campbell malachi, starks, You Know uh derek harmon and a couple of other guys in that, Grouping of five i'd be good with any. Of Those guys and i'm sure they. WOULD Be too U and, Like i said I'm. Not sure Will If if will campbell would, Would be there i'd be. Right all back i'd like to light the cigar man THAT right after.
Speaker 1: I picked him we agree that number one thing they've got to come away with as. As Starting guard but i've been overdosing on mock draft SIMULATORS and what i found lap IS that when i went defense in round one and a guard, IN round two i still. Had GREAT options when i took a guard in round one and then looked for a defense difference maker in, THE second round i wasn't quite as happy. With The outcome so I'm going with harmon, In round one starks, if he's gone and THEN hoping That I, Get Donovan jackson Jonas avoy And Aya or tate ratledge as my guard.
Speaker 3: In, round Two.
Speaker 2: Yeah and i'd be very happy with. THAT as well i do think that the two rookie interior defensive linemen that they took in the second and third, ROUND last Year i think. Jenkins being healthy, i'm telling you trying to rush the pastor with a big old cast on your. HAND is, impossible i mean your hand used to just done using, the one hand and they're using. Two against you it's it's not. A FAIR fight SO i Think, i, think jenkins uh he didn't really, show his. ARSENAL you know i think he's a significant. Pass rusher inside but, with that said you can never have. Enough of them you want as many as you. Can Possibly get McKinley jackson more of, a run, stuffer you know to gapper, kind of guy and you can never have enough. Of those either so we we've talked for, a while here but coming all, the way, around circling back what are? We talking about interior offensive. And defensive lineman just the way we, started the podcast we, Came, full circle dan and here we are coming right, back to that to that point of Importance For, the cincinnati bengals and. They've addressed, it you know in free agency they signed an interior lineman. Offensively and defensively they got to address it in the, draft AS well, and i think uh THEY should and i think they will address.
Speaker 3: It multiple times. Like we're describing we.
Speaker 1: Will Be together On Thursday At pai corpse stadium for a draft party for. SEASON ticket members i know you have something fun in store the Following, night on friday along With the first star logistics for the second and third rounds. Of the draft tell me a little bit about what's.
Speaker 2: Going, on there yeah this will be the third annual Draft Party For. First start logistics we're gonna be At a. Great, american ballpark Uh In the red stadium obviously is.
Speaker 3: Where.
Speaker 2: We'll be uh we're Going To Have andre yosi vash will be a special, guest FOR us and uh, he'll, be Interviewing. Uh interviewing andre we've got other other guests as. Well, lined Up Uh. There's eric all we'll be there to talk about what's going on with him and one unfortunate thing that he's not going to be able to play the upcoming, season as well that that's. Just been determined, but a man, you talk about a guy that h was on, a career path his trajector is going straight up and. That's the thing the biggest Variable In The national football league's injury you have no, control over whatsoever and that is. The biggest Variable so hopefully eric all is uh is going to be able to rehab well and and come back and perform for the level that he had, been performing, at because man he was a factor not only in, the passing game but they were doing things with him in the running, game as well and they were creating formations to. UTILIZE his, talents, i Mean uh he's, he's an impressive impressive young. Man for sure so we're gonna have other other special, guests as well, and and uh it'll be. A good time i mean it's from, seven to eleven uh down There a, great American Ballpark and joe goodbury will be, There As well brad JOHANSSON. Will be mc we're gonna uh and and other people That work with joe on his on the work that he does with respect to the draft and free, agency and everything we'll be there. On the, panel so yeah it's going to be a full night of football for Sure on.
Speaker 3: That friday night sounds.
Speaker 1: Like good stuff i've taken a bunch. OF your time i. Really appreciate it you are spending time. With your family have a safe Trip, back TO cincinnati and i will see You at Pay. CORPS on thursday i.
Speaker 3: Look, forward, to it sir have the best day.
Speaker 1: You ever, had once, Again this year i'll be posting podcasts after each day, of the draft so when you get up, the next morning you'll hear from the players moments. After they're picked you'll hear what the coaches are, saying about them and you'll Get analysis. From lapping me that's Next On The, bengals booth podcast brought to You. By pay corps proud To be THE bengals official, hr Software Provider, by alta fiber Future proof fiber internet designed to, elevate your home business and community to, a new Level And by kettering health the best care for. The Best fans kettering health is the official healthcare Provider. Of the bengals if you haven't, done so already please subscribe to this podcast and if you, have a minute give it a rating or share a comment That helps more bengals. Fans Find Us i'm dan horde and thanks for Listening To The bengals booth podcast