Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of The Weekly Zeitgeist. These are some of our favorite segments from this week, all edited together into one NonStop infotainment laugh stravaganza. Yeah, so, without further ado, here is the Weekly Zeitgeist.
Speaker 2: Miles.
Speaker 1: We are thrilled to be joined in our third Oh yeah, very funny stand up comedian, writer, asher, producer, creator of poast Rattle Compliment contest Never Seen It podcast where famous comedians rewrite classic movies they've never seen. He hosted the podcast Faking a Murderer, where he talked with eight comedians for eight hours about the show Making a Murderer, but didn't tell his guests that he'd never seen it. I know those are old credits, but they are very funny. Oh you're very funny. Welcome to the show. The hilarious Kyle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we did.
Speaker 4: Some of those are still around. You know, it's hard to make puns out of new true crime shows. Otherwise I would I would be out here pretending to know about those. You know, there's not the the didn't winks, it's hard. The Jinx is even my newest reference. You can tell how much television I watch?
Speaker 2: Winks.
Speaker 3: The Stinks. It's me.
Speaker 4: Did you guys hear about this? Lindberg? Baby, I'm here to tell you about this new true crime things very hot.
Speaker 5: The Stinks is a podcast where you just keep farting with your guests in the room.
Speaker 4: But I'm sad when they bring it out on our fitbit pun discussion earlier.
Speaker 3: That was a good time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I know we were talking. I mean, let's take them back through it. You know, we're talking about Succession finale. Yeah, we were talking about how you know, I think our last sentiment before we went into the weekend was it would be awesome if they somehow pressaged the Orca attacks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and had like.
Speaker 1: All the Succession children get their whole ship bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then they were like swimming around in the ocean at real and they're like, I don't want to get in there, there's too many sharks. And then they got in there.
Speaker 5: Did you start levitating when that happened? Because I almost like a fucking I almost like had the hydrogen atom like burned into my forehead, like fucking doctor Manhattan.
Speaker 3: I'm like, yes, I'm seeing it all. Now, their whole ship shall be bit.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: But the internet is so cruel.
Speaker 4: They could have got eaten by a regular shark and people would have said, you guys weren't even close because you said Orca's right, right. You didn't predict anything.
Speaker 3: You said fucking orcas dumb, dumb.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but upon reiterating, we wanted to see them get their whole ship bit. Kyle, you came up with a brilliant invention.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, to track your bowel movements and the health of your poos. There's the ship bit, yeah, which lets you know how many how many times I would say, the opposite of steps, how many times you your legs fall asleep on the toilet every day?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, Yeah.
Speaker 4: If you don't like the ship bit, you can get the crap a watch. It works with iOS, just kind of depending on what operating with ibs. That's Tim Uncooked Salmon is in charge of the grapple watch.
Speaker 3: I believe.
Speaker 5: Would that be a toilet or a peripheral device you wear. I feel like the toilet is would be the most effective tool.
Speaker 4: It's just all about getting you into their ecosystem. Yeah, their system, theircal system, the biome, the Apple biome. Okay, I'm sorry, it's gonna be funny. It's gonna be the orca to shark closeness in like five years. There's something that's gonna come out they're gonna make you didn't call it the right name, so you didn't predict.
Speaker 5: That, Jackie Sneil, What is something from your short's history that is revealing about who you are?
Speaker 3: What you are interested in? Right now?
Speaker 6: Let me uh, let me talk to the ladies real quick, Let me talk to the Let me off to the ladies in the house. Turn your radios down, turn bunk up. You want to all right, so let me tell you something. You know how it's always surprises me that like men don't know about the female body, like basic ship, you know, and things like that. You want to know how to get a dude to learn just like the most basic ship about things like periods and tell them like you might be pregnant, and that motherfucker is gonna get on the Google search and that nigga gonna learn everything about ovulation, he gonna learn ship about your commuter is lying falling down?
Speaker 7: He gonna learn he gonna learn about your cycle.
Speaker 6: He gonna be like, all right, so is your basal temperature up or down?
Speaker 7: Wow?
Speaker 3: Italian basil temperature.
Speaker 7: Let me what's your what's your basis temperature? Now?
Speaker 6: Now, now when you get the mucus coming out of the cervical mucus, is that thick or you're.
Speaker 7: Gonna let he learns.
Speaker 6: That's how he learns, right, Like Miles and Dan both like, now what the fuck is that?
Speaker 3: Let me tell you, I just had a baby. I'm like, this is new.
Speaker 7: You just had a baby.
Speaker 6: But see it wasn't but it wasn't a pregnancy scared you were ready for the baby.
Speaker 7: You was like, oh the baby coming. Ship.
Speaker 3: I did my job the same way. When you're trying to be like, yo, is this is this? It is this it? You do start being like, okay, what's like did you do the peace stick? You know what? The hormones looking like?
Speaker 6: We gotta we gotta learn this ship, We gotta become We have to know it just as well as our partners, especially if they are women. You know, we gotta know this. So that is what's my god, that's my gloves.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm guessing you didn't have any kind of moment where you thought maybe that your your fortunes had changed in terms of the fatherhood, department.
Speaker 6: Oh you know, listen, I'm not saying all that. I'm just saying you're working on material. I'm just saying, ladies out there, you need you know. I want I want you to know that if you want, if you want your man to know a little bit more, and and you're not like trying to conceive, just be like, who my mood is feeling.
Speaker 7: A little weird. I feel a little strange right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think the like super hetero hip hop man would be like, yo, you mean like Lil Wayne that lnate text.
Speaker 7: Yes, but I think that's I think that's it always baffles me.
Speaker 6: And when I like I said, it does baffle me that, like we have not been expected to just know more.
Speaker 3: I mean, baby, that's just patriarchy, you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: Like, you know, you grow up in a fucking existence where it's like yeah, and there's you and then there's the other people, and then as long as you're as long as you're ship working, don't worry about it.
Speaker 2: Women will handle.
Speaker 5: It like and then you realize you're like, oh, that is not equitable at all or any kind of world I want to live in.
Speaker 6: And there you learn, and then you learn shit like I shouldn't say this because this is a joke everybody. But then you learn shit like if you ain't opulating, then you can bust wrong.
Speaker 5: You mean the old fucking yeah, terrible terrible man logic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, old head logic.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: I had a family member like that, one of my younger cousins who was living like that, and I was like, bro, you like, that's not science.
Speaker 3: And he's like, well, he's like, but hey, man, if you worry about that stuff, then it'll happen.
Speaker 6: And I'm like, yeah, I'm like, are you man, my sperm guy worry in it, then it's go find it.
Speaker 5: You cannot manifest contraception. Okay, but okay, do whatever you gotta do. What is something you think is overrated?
Speaker 3: Well I was.
Speaker 8: I was racking my brains on this and and uh and actually myles you'll come in about wearing shoes really resonated with me. I actually hate wearing shoes, you know. I was reminded being in this last bowl. So it works of a are you to work for a branding and strategy agency? And I we had a meeting that I thought went quite well, and then my boss called me into a one on one huddle afterwards, which I wasn't sure what the message was going to be, but he was like, we all saw you, including the lines, carrying your shoes around outside the meeting room. Please please at work, always take your shoes on. I was like, you know what, very embarrassing but probably fair enough. Wait, so were you going like sockless, like full on socks? I had red socks, which is a terrible British habit, and just just thinking I was, you know, wandering shoes and the other which I.
Speaker 5: Feel like, like, I guess sometimes when you'll take my shoes off, I've been in that place.
Speaker 3: I'm like, we get these fucking shoes off.
Speaker 5: And then like I'll walk to like the office kitchen and like my socks and I but the only time I remember getting in because I've been in the same situation for like, you're not wearing shoes, I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, you lok, like I'm in bare feet? Well yeah, yeah, it's different. It's different.
Speaker 5: I'm at least respecting, like I'm having some kind of foot covering on. I just don't like the structure of my shoe and it's more comfortable, So please leave me alone and I'll go back into my office and look at Reddit.
Speaker 8: That's one of the always that were articles every summer, which is like, what's the correct etiquette on the airplane based on the frontline experience of the cabin attendant or host or hostess, And the advice is always you are to set your shoes off, but not your socks, but you have to take your shoes back on before you go to the bathroom, which I'm I'm off to.
Speaker 5: Yeah, team to do. Yeah, you don't want to wear towels on your feet to go into a bathroom. That's what I look, that's what a sock becomes at that point. But yeah, I'm I'm like looking, there's a fly flying around.
Speaker 3: Here, and I thought there was a bird in the mouth.
Speaker 5: No, I'm about to Clyde Fraser, this motherfucker like I might catch.
Speaker 1: Around in your hand than release just release it.
Speaker 3: Back in the room and let it start all over again.
Speaker 1: But no, I am big shoes on energy just for everyone that I have ugly feet.
Speaker 3: That's smell bad. Okay.
Speaker 1: I've always kept my shoes on, and I've always looked upon people who just sit down on an airplane and take their shoes off with wonder.
Speaker 5: And well, my shit smell good, so I don't. That's I'm never uncasing some stinky feet. I'll keep the socks on because it's cold on the airplane, like people who go bare feet in the fucking plane.
Speaker 3: No, that's a violation. I will say that that is a violation, an FAA violation. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I cleared out an entire dorm floor in basketball camp when I was like twelve years old with like my my socks. Oh no, like that happened to it, like the other wing of the dorm. They're like so much. What is that shit?
Speaker 5: That happened to me? In fifth grade? Not me, but a kid in my school. We went to this like camp and like we were in these dorms and his shoes smelled so fucking bad. Like everyone lost their minds and it kind of turned into like a low key bullying thing. Yeah yeah, like yoaz And it was like he cried as ship and I'm like, a damn, I'm glad my feet don't smell because how they get you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was definitely formative, and that's why I wear boots to bed when I sleep, I keep my boots on.
Speaker 3: I know. That's I remember when we were on tour.
Speaker 5: Once you're like, hey, do you have a like some garbage bags and duct tape?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 1: I yeah, I will frequently, even if you're in a hotel with like the little the windows that only open a crack, I will hang my socks out the window.
Speaker 3: I lost get the foot spray because I.
Speaker 1: And they're actually not that bad anymore. It's just but I I'm pretty self conscious about it, right, But the pains are the trauma has already there.
Speaker 3: The pain is. What's something you think is underrated?
Speaker 9: I just watched Nanny, directed by nik Yatu Juicsu, and I don't know if you've heard of its phenomenal. I I feel like it's not getting enough love. Not I've hardly seen anybody talking about it. It's so beautifully shot. It's like a psychological horror movie about a nanny who works for this wealthy white family and she is black. And it is so good and it is chilling and beautiful and heartbreaking and just a really incredible film. So yeah, and I haven't seen hard It seemed like hardly anybody talking about it, So yeah, I love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It came out in twenty twenty two, and I remember when it came out, like the reviews were so positive and I was like, I've got to see this, and then it just disappeared from yeah, like the conversation.
Speaker 9: So yeah, yeah, I think people were a little like just in a horror movie, you know, because.
Speaker 1: It's sure, it's real, it's different and it's.
Speaker 9: Real and it's really interesting and they take it in like incredible directions. So I think kind of horror fans were some horror fans were a little like I had to think during that. Yeah, so they didn't like it, But I loved it. I thought it was absolutely stunning.
Speaker 1: And you can watch that.
Speaker 3: It would appear on Max the one to watch dot com.
Speaker 1: I just said, Nanny, where to watch because I speak to Google like I'm just learning the English language, and.
Speaker 5: Mine says you have to throw your your pennies at your your tuppens at Jeff Bezos for this one.
Speaker 9: Oh really Yeah, I watched it on Amazon Prime, but I think it's up around.
Speaker 3: Okay, hey, look pick your poison. You know it can be Miles.
Speaker 1: Miles has a professional relationship with Bezos and I have one with zas Love so our listeners.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we're always doing the work.
Speaker 3: We gotta we gotta chat throughad bald bros.
Speaker 1: All right, let's take a quick break and we'll come back and talk about some dystopian ship. And we're back, and let's talk about Taylor Swift. Her concerts are sweeping the nation. Everybody's excited on social media, and they're so excited they're apparently suffering from mass amnesia, because some Taylor Swift fans are reportedly attending Taylor Swift concerts and then have no memory of the event afterwards. It's called by people on social media, not by the medical community. It's they're calling a post concert amnesia.
Speaker 3: And so what are people saying that They're just like they're like, are they true? Like, I don't know what happened.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: One person claimed that if it hadn't been for a video of her at the show, she would have told everyone that it didn't happen. Another person said she had spent so long dreaming about what it would be like to see the singer in person. She later claimed she couldn't grasp what was reality. It's hard to put together what you actually witness. So I don't know she like has Taylor Swift. I've seen the like, so there was a tweet that was like one of my tweets of the day that was like comparing the like stage design to the really complicated shirts from season two.
Speaker 3: I think you should leave Dan flashes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Dan flashes really super complicated shirt pattern.
Speaker 3: Yeah they're more expensive, Yeah.
Speaker 1: More expensive because the patterns are so complicated, and like her stage design looks pretty complicated, So I don't know if she's like done something that has Like I've never heard someone say it's hard to put together what you actually witness right before.
Speaker 6: Is it?
Speaker 5: Because like part of me is thinking like one version is like hyperbole from fans to talk about how amazing it was that You're like, literally, I don't even know what happened. It was so magical, but like are there actual people, Like no, I'm actually worried, like I don't know what happened to me more like on that level, or is more like it was such a dream, Like I don't know if I was just out of body or whatever, or I guess, or they're saying like it's hard for me to specifically even call back something from the concert. I know I was there, but that's about it. After that, I just went into an absolute dream state.
Speaker 1: If the CIA were to align itself with an artist, I feel like that would probably be the corrector.
Speaker 3: Like that would be the choice. Oh yeah, yeah right, Oh yeah, I think so.
Speaker 8: But it's a little I mean, if the idea is that it's such a transporting and extremely magical experience that you're literally not able to perform memories, it makes a little disappointing that I've suddenly never I didn't have ever experience that. I've definitely been drunk enough, I don't remember what happened in college. But the idea that has such a transcendent experience that you can't remember it kind of makes you wonder, like what am I I'm missing out on the on the in life by not being a big tailor.
Speaker 5: Stand Now, I'm getting like fomo, because like I've seen artists that I've absolutely obsessed over, yeah and been like I'm there, I'm gonna be front row, and I remember that shit like, yeah, I fucking it was magical. Like I was like, I'm here, I'm experiencing it exactly how I want to. But yeah, to your point, I was, I'm like, so is there like another level.
Speaker 1: Strike these people just getting really drunk for the first time, Like it was crazy, like had seven to twelve drinks and now I get no. So, according to one psychology professor, this is something that can happen when someone is in a highly emotional state. Due to exciting or distressing factors. The neurons associated with memories start firing indiscriminately, which makes forming new memories difficult, which is the opposite of what like I had always heard, when you're in like a heightened emotional state, you are more likely to like have a like flash bold memory, you know, like that's that's when you have those memories that really stick because you're like have this heightened state of arousal.
Speaker 5: Don't tell that to Ronda Santis who's denying people from Guantanimo recognized him, right, How are they going to remember that? It's like, I don't know, man, people remember shit in those moments. That's yeah, what I know.
Speaker 1: Some people claim not to remember parts of their own wedding is the example that they're giving. So it's like, and so I've noticed this, like with being a dad, Like I will look at a video that I've taken up my kids and it's like just there. I'm like, I don't remember that at all. I don't remember saying those words at all. I don't remember kids looking like that because because I'm so like that has to do with just like I see them every day, so like what they look like is just what they've always looked like in my brain. But you know, I think there's something there that's like missing from my understanding of memory. Because the only thing that I had, the only interaction between memory and emotional state that I've really had room for, and like the thing that I built in when I was like a teenager based on like accepted knowledge was that like scared or excited you, your memory like works better. So but and then really drunk your memory doesn't work. Those were the two things that I knew of that could affect your memory.
Speaker 3: That's my psych degree.
Speaker 2: And then like there there's also the.
Speaker 1: Stuff about you know, repressed memories of abuse or traumatic experiences. But like I had always kind of because a lot of that stuff ended up being recovered through hypnosis and like led to it involved in a lot of the satanic panic stuff. But it does seem like there's a little more here where like there are forms of heightened memories or like excitement or you know, like with my kids, it's like the love is so strong, like my brain can't look directly, Like it's like trying to look directly at the sun or something. Your brain just like isn't big enough to take it all in. Is like kind of how it feels. So maybe that's what they're experiencing with Taylor Swift concerts.
Speaker 8: Maybe there's a new merch opportunity like the spinning coin and inception that could be sold to Taylor Swift fans before the concept so they neither.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exact because she's a master of like repackaging things. They are they have and be like what about this version?
Speaker 5: Will a buildble for twenty four hours and it has half a song on it that you haven't heard about that by that? But yeah, maybe she does still like start selling like reality totems, so you.
Speaker 3: Keep spinning you know what's going on.
Speaker 5: Which is funny because when you say that, Jack, the first thing I was like, well, this has happened at Beyonce concerts because that's the only other group of people who I feel like I get the Swifty connection. Like these people the parasocial relationships that they have with Taylor Swift is to the next level, So like I can tell that they're already like operating in like a psychological space that might be different than other fandoms. But it's interesting because the only thing I was, like, I just searched Beyonce post concert anisia and an article just came out ten hours ago that way, Oh, Beyonce fans also getting post concert amnesia at Renaissance.
Speaker 3: So I'm like, is this a marketing thing?
Speaker 1: Like what the fuck is this could just be a few people on Twitter reported not being able to remember something and everybody jumped on it. But right, like, I mean, there are psychology professors in like this Psychology Today article claiming that like we folk, this Psychology Today article totally does not vibe with like how I feel like my memory works. They're like, you focus on experiencing the world, not remembering it. So if people are truly living in the moment and enjoying the concert, they're not necessarily doing the work of trying to make new memories. It's like, I don't intentionally ever make memories. I'm not like, oh, I'm remembering this.
Speaker 10: So fucking hag right now, Jack, you remember in memor right now, dude, this is good remembering.
Speaker 3: But yeah, so I don't know, but I'm again.
Speaker 5: All I take from this is I'm actually I have fomo that I've never blacked out at a concert like that wasn't induced.
Speaker 1: A concert for understandable reason.
Speaker 2: That was chemically induced.
Speaker 5: Yeah okay, and that wasn't me abusing xanax or something like I'm talking of aut like I'm fucking levitating because I love the artists so much.
Speaker 3: Now, what is the Swifties again?
Speaker 5: I'm part of me like the joke, the jokey side of me is like, I think they just want to forget that she's with Maddy.
Speaker 3: Healy and all that right now? R Yeah, anyway, but is the concert?
Speaker 1: Like, I guess it's hard to ask this question because you you can't really, but like it are people saying it's like a really great concert who aren't like inherently huge Taylor Swift stands?
Speaker 3: Oh, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I mean the people who I know who are Taylor Swift fans who have gone. I feel like everything's been so pot like no one is saying a bad word about it. Yeah, obviously because the tickets were so fucking expensive and hard to get. I think that's the other part of it, too, is like you're probably so stressed because you spend like a fucking mortgage payment and a half trying to get a ticket to the show. Yeah, but yeah, I mean the other thing is too they're wearing people are wearing adult diapers to the shows.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, yeah, they because they don't want to miss a thing.
Speaker 5: Like there's a bunch of TikTok clips of like people helping their homegirls like get into some diapers. Another person was like, was like taking a selfie videos like I'm at the show and nobody knows I have diapers on.
Speaker 10: You when we moved back, and they're clearly wearings like under their skinny chicks Like yo, actually.
Speaker 5: Yo, something going on with your yoga pants. I'm seeing a thin blue line appear in the front like a baby's diaper. But yeah, like again, I I get that part. Like I think I've told this story. I peed myself at the front row of jay Z at Coachella a few like ten years ago because I did not I didn't want to miss anything, and I when I saw how far I would have to travel to go to the restroom and then fight through a fucking gigantic pit to get to where I was.
Speaker 3: I was like, no, we're doing this right here.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So and also you like, like we already mentioned everything about you smell your peace smells fantastic.
Speaker 3: So it didn't.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, yeah, I'm very well hydrated, you know what I mean. You're not gonna get that like that sort of terrible like ureic acid.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, no, no, no, no, no, all right.
Speaker 1: America is rethinking the whole parking spot thing. So there's there's a new book by a guy named Henry Graber that's pointing out like specifically New York City could repurpose some of its three million curb side parking lots, which would then provide but like the amount of space that's taken up by parking in just New York City, to put things in perspective, is the area equivalent to fifty two Central Parks. That's like how how is that physically possible? Because every street in the city is lined on both sides.
Speaker 4: With park everything is and there's no alleys in New York. Yeah, they don't have a could.
Speaker 3: You make fifty two?
Speaker 5: Like what's like, what is the proportion of Central Park to Man, I'm sorry, I'm getting like real nerdy here, I'm like, could you've.
Speaker 4: Said about one fifty two of the amount of parking that there is if you need to visualize.
Speaker 2: It, that's it really helpful. Now I can picture it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it wouldn't like you wouldn't be able to move the buildings around and create fifty two central parks obviously.
Speaker 3: Like the equivalent square footage is what they're say, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Equivalent square footage.
Speaker 4: You know how your intestines are like seven thousand miles long or whatever they are, That's what parking is like a New York City. You look at them above, You're like, there's no way that my crapp a watch could fit and do all that. And now unwinds there's and then that makes the sidewalks where the trash goes right exactly.
Speaker 1: Well, that is one of the things people are pointing out is like it would make it possible for there to be proper trash storage so that you could actually, you know, put trash in New York City in containers no, which it does not currently happen. And it's why New York is synonymous with like having a horrible swarming rat problem.
Speaker 4: Not only does it not happen, When you type that sentence out in the dock, a red squiggly line goes underneath it. That's like how little New York has for trash cleanup.
Speaker 1: But like just living in New York there are like these massive snow banks of trash on the sidewalk. Sometimes it's it's truly wild.
Speaker 5: I remember as a kid we put like we pushed our friend into it when we're walking because they're like, dude, when he gets next, we just fucking launched him in and he disappeared.
Speaker 3: We haven't seen him since I just shouldered him.
Speaker 4: If you don't do it down that opportunity, you can do it nine feet later at the slightly larger Yeah, I think that. I don't think this was an efficient way for cities to rebuild. But New York Is has never quite fully burned down like like San Francisco and Chicago like to do, and what happened when San Francisco and Chicago burned down those parts of the city have nice alleyways for storing trash. That's right, I'm not saying that's I think maybe this parking things a better idea than purpose fire, but not a city planner.
Speaker 1: Precision arson is your solution Kyle to every problem that we raised.
Speaker 2: It really really is recording.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, everything from like yeah, like protecting our democracy.
Speaker 4: Like ceiling, yeah, precision firing. Now it's the debt sky that's right, which.
Speaker 3: This thing out?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I think, Yeah, New York just got nine to eleven and we got a police state.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Lower Manhattan has tons of places to store trash. Yeah, you have to rebuild a lot to make these alleys and.
Speaker 5: Yeah, really and really cool camera rays just jetting up from everywhere to.
Speaker 2: Be like what is this, Like we're looking at you, We're looking at you mother.
Speaker 4: No, it's it's made everything safe forever.
Speaker 1: But so our writer Jam kind of looked back at some some past examples. We've talked about Paris, we've talked about some cities in the Netherlands. A Zurich back in nineteen ninety six flat out stated there would be no more parking in the city, Like if the developer wanted to create new parking spaces, they would be required to remove that many parking spaces from the city streets.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 4: That's like a nightclub. It's like one in, one out, Yeah, exactly, Like yeah, there Marshals there with the clicker.
Speaker 5: Hey, sorry, I'm sorry, you need a few more outwel holding a clicker.
Speaker 1: Paris has been removing street parking, replacing it with underground facilities, and last year they passed a law requiring parking lots big enough to hold around fifty American sized cars.
Speaker 2: I love the we stand for something in the global community, the.
Speaker 4: American sized cars. It is the hot dog car from I think you should leave.
Speaker 2: Right right.
Speaker 1: If it can hold fifty American sized cars. They're required to build raised solar panel canopies covering at least half of the surface of the parking lot, which would be the equivalent of ten nuclear power plants.
Speaker 2: So I don't know, that's cool. It seems seems like.
Speaker 5: These are all positive ideas for Hey, just with that, you'd have nice clear streets and the power of ten nuclear power plants.
Speaker 3: Like would seem like the.
Speaker 4: Meekest superhero origin story, right, Solar Man he could be called like the Paris Accord because he was providing his his Honda and accidentally got electrocuted by the solar panel and now he's just pretty attuned to traffic flow.
Speaker 1: And then Berlin One neighborhood experiment with getting rid of parking spots altogether and are like allowing bikes and scooters to occupy spaces that used to be exclusive to cars. So this is all like these are great. When you look at pictures of these places, it's like, here's what it used to look like, and it's like an American city and now here's what it looks looks like. And there's just like all these amazing creative things that they're doing with all the sidewalk space, and you know, like they have things called bike highways in Paris that are just what used to be streets that are now you know, parks with bike lanes going through them.
Speaker 2: Essentially.
Speaker 1: In the US, so there are around two billion parking spaces in the country, which amounts to nearly seven parking spaces for every car, which seems like two Any.
Speaker 3: Guns in parking are any American problem?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's got a level out if you just like get rid of Houston, right, Yeah, maybe like a statistics.
Speaker 1: Like there was just a move at the like when cars first became a thing, Like they encoded all these laws, these like zoning codes that mandated minimum parking requirements for real estate projects that basically said that when a new building goes up, there's a minimum number of parking spaces that need to be provided or like the city will fall over else and like everyone has been like that, turns out that's not the case, Jackson, Wyoming. A study found that there were twenty seven spaces for every home.
Speaker 4: So there's just wait, you're telling me there's fifty four parking spaces and Jackson, Wyomo.
Speaker 1: That's right, But it was actually like inverted at this time, Like when these zoning restrictions went into place, the cool thing was like among young people, like was driving like that was and like public transportation was like what the old people were into and used. But like driving was seen as like individualistic and like you controlled your own destiny and like that's the book.
Speaker 2: On the road is like the bible for this shit.
Speaker 1: But I don't know, it feels like now we have an opportunity with a generation coming up that like doesn't even get their license at the same rate as ever before, right, and that think cars are shit, So it seems like there should be an opportunity here to roll some of the shit back. But it's just a matter of you know, getting out from under this massive system that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's one thing I've found, it's that Americans are generally receptive to wide sweeping change. So I think if this is presented on a local and a national level, and they hear it from anyone they don't care for, they'll be in. This is something they'll jump on board for.
Speaker 2: Just listen to reason on this one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we have like these dumb fucking zoning laws and like the worshiping of parking spaces, and we're I think we've talked about the past how cars are getting too big for fucking parking spaces because every car manufacturer is like, people will buy bigger cars for more money, so just make them fucking gigantic to the point you can't even park them in the old parking spaces. And a lot of that has to do with the National Automobile Dealers Association because they're just like a massive lobbying group and they you know, they got all the dealers on one page, and like they definitely helped push through a lot of that kind of stuff too that.
Speaker 4: I don't have like a massively informed knowledge on this, but I do know that tire companies like Firestone were very big on sabotaging transit in Los Angeles. Oh, Los Angeles used to have like a huge amount of ra rail systems right like above ground, like San Francisco style rail cars, and then they just pushed. They were invested in by a company that was essentially funded by Firestone and General Motors that just was like, we should get rid of all these and make it impossible to get around this because LA used to have so many more stops transit system.
Speaker 3: Look at the old layout of that old system. Your your eyes would water.
Speaker 5: And I mentioned this on a past episode like growing up, like you'd you'd you'd like trip over the old infrastructure like in the street and you're like, what the fuck is this?
Speaker 4: It's like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's like the like the asphalt is like revealing a little bit of the track. And then some older person's like.
Speaker 5: That's when the trolley used to come through here, and you're like, no fucking way, get away.
Speaker 3: Get in my mind.
Speaker 4: Uh, it was like it would be from like Long Beach, Santa Monica. This is just super specific to LA, but like massive and sprawling all the way out through the valley and everything. Yeah, just completely replaced because for some reason, a tire company wanted more cars yeah, and even buses instead of the transit, which are a lot less efficient and harder to track and things like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it was that, and also just that it was like seen as cool, like it really seen as cool. I mean they still are early freedom.
Speaker 4: You know, you're sixteen, you can get out of your house and go somewhere on your own, and yeah, go small.
Speaker 3: That work out of the.
Speaker 2: Right sausage actually made him seem really cool.
Speaker 4: I just saw a statue of him up at the observatory.
Speaker 7: There.
Speaker 1: There are some US cities getting rid of the minimum parking requirements, at least there's been fifteen and twenty twenty two alone, which it also has an impact on the housing crisis, because when you like are building something that requires you to build a bunch of like find a bunch of parking spots for it, it just like changes how you approach the thing. It makes it way more expensive, and then those costs get folded into the costs to the builder. Oh wait no, sorry, folded into the rent or the price always regardless of whether or not.
Speaker 4: You love to pass those savings onto you. Yeah, that's right, just get you.
Speaker 5: You guys want in on this too, we're thinking about going in on some parking you guys wanted, all right, why not.
Speaker 4: We havent that's right.
Speaker 1: Also, apparently we have a big problem with people murdering each other over parking spaces, which I wasn't aware of.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's an annual, multi dozen occurrence. Apparently it was weird.
Speaker 4: I mean I took a guy's parking spot that he really wanted. He was really angry, and then I tried saying no, no, there's seven of these for every car in America.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he wasn't listening to reasons.
Speaker 4: That didn't calm him down.
Speaker 7: And you should have.
Speaker 5: You should have an abundance mentality, sir, not a scarcity mentality.
Speaker 4: I went to a car. I drove up to Griffith Observatory with my dog and we're hanging out up there, and there was so little parking that people are like almost fighting each other to pay ten dollars an hour.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I had that same experience and just turned around. I was like, well, this has been a nice.
Speaker 4: Ride off at the edge of the cliff.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was like, it just drove into the ocean.
Speaker 4: That's the o'doyle family. No parking, It just went right off the you.
Speaker 3: Know what, it's how about we go to the ocean and get our whole shit bit instead.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: I'd rather do that than this crap.
Speaker 5: But yeah, it's like it really does bring the weirdest shit out of people, because I feel like on the internet you always see videos of like people who like stand in a fucking parking space, like with their hands on their hips and they're like.
Speaker 10: No, go around, go around's coming with the car coming minutes away.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my husband's almost born, and.
Speaker 5: It kind of and I get so like fucking incensed by seeing those videos, and I'm like, I like, for what and I you can tell when you know how shit can go left in those situations because people are so fucking protective or exercises bizarre, fucked up sense of ownership.
Speaker 4: I think Chicago has like wild unwritten rules about chairing off snow spaces that you've dug out, like if your car was if it snows around your car, you're allowed to put a folding chair and keep that spot for the day if you've done the work, if you've done the work or something like that. And you know, you know the thing about those unwritten rules is everyone loves them. Yeah, someone just throws that chair forty feet and parked there. You are allowed to key their car and take a shit.
Speaker 5: On the.
Speaker 3: Yeah that gang. Let us know, what are the weird parking laws?
Speaker 2: There has to be.
Speaker 4: I feel like there's a lot of this weird unwritten stuff that exists. Can you cover the sidewalk? Does a chair take a spot where?
Speaker 10: You know?
Speaker 4: I mean, there's got to it feels like city to city and town to town is a different.
Speaker 5: I was always blown away, like when I was in Seattle recently, how people just park on the wrong side of the road too, Like just they're like, yep, I don't know, fuck it, park on whatever side I want to to park this car. And like as in like La Person where we have just such fucking draconian like parking enforcement rules.
Speaker 10: I'm like, is that is that's allowed here in this moonsical town? All right, let's take a quick break. We'll talk some shit about Seattle off mic and then no, I'll come back. No, I'm just kidding, what the fuck they park the opposite way?
Speaker 1: What's wrong with them?
Speaker 4: And how'd that work out for Kirk?
Speaker 3: Thank you and Jimi Hendrix.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: That's right, all right, we'll be right back, and we're back, we're back, and that a Republican read some medical research and not the do your own research no medical research, but like actual medical papers, and that news.
Speaker 5: Listen to like every you know, professional medical association and pediatric care group. So my mind is still bon Louisiana State Senator Fred Mills is a Republican, okay, And just to just so you know what kind of Republican he has, like a flawless record as an anti abortion sikoh, like he's got one of those perfect ratings from those anti abortion groups. But he just used his position to make his state the first in the South that has voted down a ban on gender affirming care for minors.
Speaker 3: And you're like, huh what.
Speaker 5: As the chair of the Health and Welfare Committee, he blocked ad a gender affirming care band bill from reaching a floor vote. And you're probably thinking, is this one of those moves where they vote down like the super vile, extreme fucked up version to make it seem like, Okay, we're not that bad, and then just replace it with one that's just like a couple degrees less like fucked up. No, it's that he read medical reports and analysis. He read the report from his own state, the State of Louisiana's Department of Health, that said what basically all medical professionals have been saying about gender affirming care. No, it's not mutilation. It absolutely saves kids' lives. It's not something people come to regret, like at some kind of ridiculous thirty percent rate or whatever, like those weird talking points that Republicans have. Most kids getting this kind of care are around fifteen and seventeen, not four years old. Also, no minor child has ever received any kind of fucking surgery, despite all the lies you hear about like these doctors who will like mutilate your child, this, that, and the other. So when he voted to kill the bill, he basically said, I read the reports and the stats, and I was convinced that this is something that should be left between a patient and a doctor, because ultimately I trust doctors and that they're not like groomer pedo demons like my colleagues have been saying.
Speaker 3: I just I don't know. I just read the thing.
Speaker 5: And again, it's it's important to note that while there's this report from the Department of Health and of Department of Health in Louisiana. There was a similar report from Florida last year that a lot of Republicans have been waving around to be like, look at this report on gender affirming care from Florida. Okay, this is this is why, this is what we're fighting for. This is the report, as you can imagine, coming from Ronda Santis, Florida, was devoid of any kind of real medical research or anything. This is what This is how a Yale professor categorized this quote unquote medical report from Florida quote. The report makes false statements and contains glaring errors regarding science, statistical methods, and medicine, ignoring established science and longstanding authoritative clinical guidance. The report instead relies on biased and discredited sources, including purported quote expert reports that carry no scientific weight due to lack of expertise and bias. So repeated and fundamental. So repeated and fundamental are the errors in the June second report that it seems clear that the report is not a serious scientific analysis, but rather a document crafted to serve.
Speaker 3: A political agenda. And you're like, wow, how did this happen?
Speaker 5: Anyway, the whack jobs and his party already calling for the bill to be bypassed and sent to the floor for a full vote. The governor in Louisiana is a Democrat, and you would most likely veto it. But again, it's a fully read state house, so they could override the veto, so it could be an interesting merry go around. But for now, this is a great moment for anybody who is who gives a shit about gender affirming care and rights for trans people and just a reef. It's just like this weird moment where a guy that looks like a cartoon version of Republican like actually read the facts and I'm still I'm still shaken to my core, and yeah, now he's being harassed, like the national right wing apparatus is like this guy's a groomer and already coming after him. And when he was asked by the local paper if he cared about all the people focused on him, he said, quote, why should I didn't run to serve them? They don't live in District twenty two. They don't even have a three three seven area code. So I'm like, wow, interesting, think for yourself sometimes, yeah, it pays off. It's just yeah, the similar thing happened. I feel like in Utah where they had like a super hardline bill and there was like well when pasted.
Speaker 9: In Idaho. Up here, the Session HB seventy one passed the House. It bans all gender firming care for minors. The governor signed it becomes law January first up here, and we're all ready between that and our extremely draconian anti abortion laws. We're actually a ton of medical professionals leave the state. We're losing a ton of doctors. Because I talked to a doctor on my podcast or our podcast, I guess, but he said that, like you know, you go to school for ten to fifteen years, you can't risk a felony charge. You can lose your medical license for a felony charge. And all it takes is somebody to say that you provided gender affirming care to a minor. You don't even have to be fully indicted and everything like that and be found guilty, because what will happen is just the charge itself will make it so that you lose your malpractice insurance and you can never get it back once you've lost it. It's very difficult. So he's they were like losing tons and tons of doctors from the state right now, because they're like, I'm not going to fuck with that. I'm not going to risk losing my malpractice insurance. And I kind of feel like in a way that Idaho, you know, Idaho, Utah, Florida, these places were like test cases for these really horrible, horrible laws, and what you're seeing is places like Louisiana say, oh, actually, maybe this is a terrible fucking idea. Also, sadly, I watched all the hearings for HB seventy one, and it was very, very heartbreaking to see how many of the Republican senators and House members said, I read the research, this every all the research goes against this bill. I have trans family members that this will affect you know, minors, I think this bill is terrible. Still voted for it. They all still voted for it. And it was like a ton of people who were like, I'm morally opposed to this, and then still voted for it because they didn't want to deal with the fallout. They didn't want to deal with the national right wing you know, fascist machine coming after them, so they just voted for it.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's it's like it's so the way this guy looks. I gotta show you this guy, doctor Fred Mills. He like if I just showed you based off just a vibe check like this Republican. Now you think he's a where do you think he lies there like a like an all a white Sears sucker suit, Like he looks like fog Horn Leghorn as a doctor or some shit. But yeah, it is like again, and I I think this is only to do with the fact that his background as a pharmacist probably led him to have half a fucking brain when it comes to like medical research to know, Yeah, there's shit I don't know. Yeah, and if all of these professionals who like I know are not like like you know, gooney whack jobs, are saying this is actually beneficial for these like young people who the fuck a m I have like pushed back against that.
Speaker 3: And yeah, and a lot of people suspect, you know, his terms coming up and this.
Speaker 5: Is maybe like his last act to do something like normal before like you know, exiting politics. But my god, yeah, he clearly wasn't fazed by like people like Matt Walsh coming after him, because we're seeing constantly, like you know, like we talked about last week the target stuff. How many how easily you're seeing people cave to this kind of outrage in a time that like, you know, this the attacks on like gay and transgender people in America's just it's like there there have been a hundred bills I think that have been anti LGBTQ bills that have signed the last five years, and fifty of them have come this year. Jesus Christ, Like, that's the that's like the rate at which the shit is ramping up. And yeah, we're in a time more than ever where we need to be able to like demonstrate like that we stand with these communities. But again, if you have enough people who want to go live on Instagram and tear down your fucking store displays in a target and then yeah, it's it's causing a real back and forth, but it's unfortunately just leading to more discord and violence.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and again, I like it really is not the majority of people. Like this is an extremist group that is taking control of like politics, and it's like carefully coordinated and they're using insurgency tactics to like and dark money and the fact that they have a lot of money behind them to do these things. But I mean, like, there there's this recent report that like eleven people are primarily responsible for the majority of book ban requests, like the right, like that we're seeing that happen in so many places across the country, and it's just like a handful of extremist people. Again, it reminds me of like the Westboro Baptist Church where for a decade they were like at all these events and you were like, man, people in America are so dumb, and then that you find out it's like a single family that is doing this shit, and like, I just think there is sometimes a level of like hopelessness that might take hold because the way the media covers it is that it's like, well, that's half the country and the there are reasonable people in the other half, and it's like not, it doesn't seem to actually be the case.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I've seen it a lot with like you know, like in states like Montana other places that have had like drag bands where people come out and they counter protest the fucking ignorant people who want to go and be hateful and they're fucking outnumbered every fucking time. I've not seen one time where there are more like hateful bigots, you know out there in mass than a group of people who are there for acceptance or equality. And they're like, yeah, man, there's just more people here. And yet I think it is it is a little it is dangerous to like kind of keep focusing on a way because it does give this impression. But just like we talked about with like Moms for Liberty, there were enough parents who saw Moms for Liberty groups pop up in their areas and they were just like talking to other parents like this is bullshit, right, and they're like yeah, and like do you even know these people? Are like no, I never fucking heard of these people. They don't even have kids in our school district.
Speaker 9: Yeah, let's they're well funded, and they're yeah, exactly what really well organized. Like when HP seventy one, like when it was the anti trans bill went to the governor's desk here, you know, everybody, all of us were like, call, call, call the governor's email and in the end he got thousands and thousands of calls and emails in support of trans people and against the horrible bill. But the group funding it, the Idaho Family Policy Center, which is funded by outside money, people not even from Idaho. They robocalled, They set up robo calls to the governor, and they were able to make it look like they had more more calls like on paper. But then it turned out that they had spent like five thousand dollars to get these these calls. They were just robo calls. They were fucking fake. So like, yeah, I think it's easy to think, oh, oh, we're outnumbered by these bigots, but even here in Idaho, which is probably one of the hardest places to be trans like Florida and Idaho maybe are the hardest places, but even here, I really think that the average person does not give a shit. And it's really these outside actors who are the same people who are burning masks, are the same, like you know, they just they were able to take this group of people, get them very fired up, these QAnon people, get them fired up about masks, get them fired up about tyranny, and then now they can just laser beam them to anything they want essentially, And it's it's not that many people, like you said, it's like eleven people with a lot of time on their hands, right, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I like the I think this is distinct from Trump supporters. I think Trump does have a lot of supporters who show up at the ballotbot like Unfortunately, like that doesn't seem to carry over it like the stuff that focuses on like trans people and you know, gender affirming care and you know, a lot of the school book bands. Like I think most people, even if even if they're Trump supporters, are like, I don't want my children to like not be able to read books. But like the Trump the Trump supporter and the QAnon thing is like it maybe not QAnon, but the Trump supporter base is always like surprises me in the other direction, like how big it actually turns out to be.
Speaker 5: Unfortunately, Yeah, well, I mean there's there's a white grievance politics and then they're yeah, totally off the walls, like we basically want neuromber claws, yes, you know, for gay people. And that's I think, you know, that's like the one historical parallel that we have to be able to be Like there's like we're seeing this momentum building against a group that is on the margins of our society, and this is I.
Speaker 3: Don't know my history, my history lessons. I'm like, okay, what we got an election? Coming up.
Speaker 5: And I've read all these stories about how Trump's next by to the Apple is like going to be if he gets into office. It's all about radically expanding the powers of the president's office. Yeah, and it all, I don't know, seems seems really bad just as a historical pattern, which is why like.
Speaker 9: Yes, let's get you a Winnie the Pooh book, and I think that would be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think that would be really nice and soothing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe that's what we need. That's what it sicks.
Speaker 1: All right, that's gonna do it for this week's weekly Zeitgeist. Please like and review the show if you like. The show means the world of Miles. He he needs your validation, folks. I hope you're having a great weekend and I will talk to him Monday.
Speaker 2: Bye.