Speaker 1: Wow, I want to go out with you so bad. Please date me. I'll pay you to date me. Howard Stern, radio.
Speaker 2: Host, an actress is there for one to make you believe something right?
Speaker 3: That's exactly what Jenna does.
Speaker 4: But she does.
Speaker 3: It's so good that you can't help but believe it's really going on.
Speaker 1: I mean it's real, you know what I mean. T T Boy performer.
Speaker 2: These people are like a family, and I'm treated with incredible respect. I'm doing exactly what i want to do, and I'm making a lot of money.
Speaker 5: Jenna Jamison, Welcome to Jenna World. Welcome back to Jenna World. I'm your host, Molly Lambert. This is episode six, Climaxing.
Speaker 4: I'll never forget the first time I met Jenna sitting in his office and she's like this tiny little thing, and I'm like, this little girl, She's the next.
Speaker 6: Eh.
Speaker 4: Joy King, Wicked Pictures publicist.
Speaker 5: Jenna Jamison's publicist, Joy King has been trying to get Jenna on The Howard Stern Show for months. Stern is a Jewish broadcaster from Queens, New York, A lifelong radio obsessive who worked his way up through local broadcasting jobs to national talk radio fame in the eighties with his brash corney on air persona on The Howard Stern Show. He rails against censorship, does character bits like fart Man, and subjects celebrities and civilians alike to an invasive gauntlet of intimate questioning. He's respected as a legitimately great interviewer and a genius at Huxterism, which relies on stoking public outrage. His controversial statements and bookings only draw more ears he'll do anything to promote himself in the show. He gets fined by the FCC for indecency, then sells cassettes of the band material racist, misogynist, homophobic stuff and and frank jokes, earning him as rep as a shock jock. Howard Stern's been trying to cross over into TV and film for years, but nobody in Hollywood seems to get exactly how to translate what he's been doing in radio to other mediums. He's tapped to host the Late Night Show and films five pilots for the Fox Network, none of which make it to air. Since he can't get in the front door, Stern in vents a backdoor taping his own TV specials starting with nineteen eighty eight s Howard Stern's Neglige and Underpants party and selling them on pay per view, which airs private telecasts of stuff like wrestling, Broadway shows, and softcore porn. By going around the networks, Stern burnishes his renegade image and can show half naked women. In nineteen ninety two, Stern puts out a mill order videotape called butt Bongo Fiesa and makes ten million dollars in independent VHS sales. He positions himself as a disgusting every man horndog whose clout gives him access to out of his league babes. He sells his listeners a fantasy that they could be just like him, which they can't because Sterne's talent is that he's very smart at being stupid. By the early nineties, Howard Stern is the self proclaimed King of All Media, a riff on Michael Jackson being dubbed the King of Pop. In nineteen ninety three, Stern gets a million dollar advanced from Simon and Schuster for his first book, titled Private Parts. After Stern's first title suggestion mind settling Accounts is ruled out. Private Parts is a huge bestseller. Jenna and her publicist Joy King don't listen to Stern, but Wicked Steve Ornstein is a huge fan. All three want to tap into Howard Stern's key demo of straight dudes who watch porn. They just need to get Jenna's huge new tits in the door. Joy reaches out constantly to pitch Jenna to Stern, but never hears back. One day, they're at Wicked Pictures office looking at selects of Jenna showing off sex toys for an Adam and Eve print ad Adam and Eve is a mail order condom and sex toy company started in nineteen seventy by two North Carolina med students to help prevent unwanted pregnancies. It was illegal to sell condoms by mail until nineteen seventy two. They also sell diaphragms, dildos, and personal massagers aka vibrators. Adam and Eve and San Francisco's Good Vibrations demonstrate that adult stores don't have to be scusy jack off booths. They can be nice, clean, overly well lit boutiques that happen to also sell strap ons. By the nineties, Adam and Eve is one of the oldest US sex toy companies and promoting condom use in safe sex has become both mandatory and chic due to the AIDS crisis. Suck my Dick from Hell, Ronald Reagan.
Speaker 3: I think that it is something that's part of human sexuality, and it's part of something that perhaps should be taught. But we've not even taught our children the very basics. And I feel that we have tried ignorance for a very long time, and it's time we try education. Jocelyn Elders, US Surgeon General.
Speaker 5: In nineteen ninety four, Joscelyn Elders, the first black US Surgeon General, is fired from the Bill Clinton administration for suggesting that masturbation be taught in sex ed, which is obviously rich coming from fucking Bill Clinton. During the safe sex nineties, there's a media wave of discussion about what constitutes fun, healthy, good, old all American sexual intercourse. Nineties porn stars like Jenna platform the still taboo idea that women have sexual appetites too, and that porn can be an aid for masturbation, which is a healthy and normal activity. In one Adam and Eve photo, Jenna is in a silly mood, holding a dildo between her boobs, sticking her tongue out, and pointing a finger gun at her head. It's cute and says sex doesn't have to be so serious. It is the goofy pick of Jenna in the giant stack of random press releases he gets sent every week that catches Howard Stern's personal attention and gets her booked on the show, which tapes in New York. It's Jenna's first time ever leaving the Western United States. By nineteen ninety five, the Howard Stern Radio Show has now become a cable TV show, airing on the E Entertainment channel, which, like other cable channel, is willing to show more lascivious content than network TV. Like any filmed podcast, the visual aspect is mostly unnecessary, but you get to watch Stern work and hear co host Robin Quivers laughing at jokes. The appeal for E is that TV provides listeners a chance to see the hot girls and freaks Stern has on the air. Jenna is scared as hell to go on the hottest mic around. Stern has adult starlits on all the time, mainly to giggle gamely and say oh my god Howard when he calls them dumb sluts and asks how big their bras are. Jenna wants to come off smart and funny, but there's a chance she'll revert to being shy, or that Howard will dress her down without any room for her to rebut the dumb slut allegations with the truth that she's smart and it's fine to be a slut.
Speaker 4: Howard Stern was pivotal in my career.
Speaker 5: To hold one's own with Howard Stern, you have to treat talking like a sport. You can't be polite or wait for your turn. Jenna is quick witted when she's comfortable, but she's more nervous about her Stern debut than she was for up and comers. As with porn, she knows the guy might try to humiliate her and she'll need to stand her ground until she earns his respect. To feel relaxed going into the studio, instead of stripper gear, she wears a hot gurl next door outfit, going braliss in a cropped mockneck, white T shirt and high waisted, lightwashed jeans. Her long blonde hair is worn naturally wavy instead of blow dried stick straight. She has a necklace on, and her Jena makeup uniform of a dark smoky eye with a frosted lip. She looks cute. Hot is intimidating. Cute is approachable. It's not just that she's pandering to the audience's desire to imagine they could talk to a girl like Jenna. Dressing casually helps build her case that porn stars are normal people doing an unusual job. Offset they're not on all the time. She's there to promote her wuld pictures titles like nineteen ninety five's Virtual Reality sixty nine, whose German title is Cyber Newton.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm I'm looking at these pictures and her pictures. This girl could be a model. I mean, she doesn't have to be in porno.
Speaker 7: She's certainly pretty.
Speaker 1: Look I mean, she must have had one screwed up childhood. Man, she's probably got a great story in her She had to be molested or something.
Speaker 7: Well, she says she's from Las Vegas, and everybody I've ever known that's been from Las Vegas. It's very strange.
Speaker 1: Look at her, man, she could be a high paid fashion model, very cute. It doesn't look any different than like those Calvin Klein ads or a guess ad or something.
Speaker 5: On October twenty seventh, nineteen ninety five, Jenna guests on The Howard Stern Show for the first time. They put a camera on her as she walks down the generic office hallway into the show studio to tape. She looks right into the camera nervously and puts fingerguns to her head. When Jenna gets in the booth and puts the headphones on to face Howard Stern, all her preparation is tested.
Speaker 1: Wait, let me take a real hard look at you. Wow, I can't believe it. I'm looking at your pictures. You could be a model.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: You're twenty one years old. Yeah, you made your breasts really big.
Speaker 6: Yeah I did.
Speaker 1: You know. Sometimes I look at porno movies. I go, man, that girl is so good looking. How could you be in porno movies? I mean, I can't figure it out, you know what I mean? Right, Like, listen, I have a lot of porno stars in here, but a lot of them I reject because it's like, you know, how many times can you have a porno star? But then I saw your pictures and you were such a piece of ass. I mean, look at this. Is that a modeling ad or what I thought that was? You know, Sports Illustrated. So then I said, she's got to have a really screwed up story because she's so damn beautiful, Like I see beautiful women in these pornos, like go, how the hell do they get them to have like wild monkey sex in these pornos? You have to have a really screwed up childhood? Right?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 1: Actually, oh, come on, something happened. My dad was a cop and he never molested you.
Speaker 4: Maybe it's a rebellious thing. Were they strict with you?
Speaker 2: No, not at all.
Speaker 6: What happened?
Speaker 1: You just ran wild because you had no supervision whatsoever. Not?
Speaker 6: Really, there you go.
Speaker 5: Jenna quickly clocks that Stern is doing a character on the air. He is doing Howard Stern on his show like she is Jenna Jamison in her movies. Stern's radio persona is a caricatureish exaggerated version of his ID. He asks Jenna about her wicked paychecks and early sexual experiences. She tells a story about sexually experimenting with a cheerleading teammate.
Speaker 1: Wow, I want to go out with you so bad. Please date me. I'll pay you, Toda Amy.
Speaker 5: You don't care whether the girl wants you for herself or not.
Speaker 6: You just want the girl.
Speaker 1: I just love to go out with you. I'd like to take you to parties, you know, be seen with you. Have you walk in in tight little dresses you know. Oh, it'd be so much fun. Want to come to Scores?
Speaker 4: Yeah I do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're going there today.
Speaker 4: I've heard about it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, she's not going to be like Savannah in a couple of years.
Speaker 1: Oh no, who cares? I don't.
Speaker 4: I can't.
Speaker 1: What what you mean, Like she's gonna kill herself? Nah? Not if she's with me, she won't. I'm gonna lock her in a box.
Speaker 6: Huh.
Speaker 1: I'd love to tie you to the bed. Oh wow, Do you like that?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I do.
Speaker 1: Do you like sex or are you like burnout on guys?
Speaker 4: I love sex.
Speaker 5: The whole Stern crew acts completely befuddled that a girl as beautiful as Jenna would do corn rather than get into regular modeling or mainstream acting. The interview climaxes with Howard asking Jenna to pull her pants down. She obliges. Post show, Jenna chugs the bottled water in the Stern break room backstage there's a little Halloween banner hung up on the wall of a spooky crow that says happy Haunting. Baba Booey does the post show run down.
Speaker 4: I was in there for two hours, so.
Speaker 7: Why don't you tell me what happened?
Speaker 4: We talked.
Speaker 1: You said you were a big.
Speaker 7: Fan of his, So what'd you think about meeting him?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 4: Oh, he's great, he's a really nice guy.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so it didn't ruin your image of him or anything?
Speaker 4: Oh no, no, he's perfect.
Speaker 7: Was it real flattering that he thought you were really hot and he was telling you should be doing like regular modeling instead.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's always nice to hear.
Speaker 7: So why went to do regular modeling? The stead too shorter?
Speaker 4: Because I like what I'm doing. I like porn.
Speaker 7: So you weren't nervous at all?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I was nervous, you know, But no problem. He's a really nice guy.
Speaker 5: As soon as they're off, Mike Stern drops his on the air act and is respectful to Jenna. He invites her to an after party at the New York strip club Scores. At Scores, Girls Swarm Howard, but he only talks to Jenna. He says he bets she gives a better lap dance than anyone there. Jenna weighs the idea of giving a man she now considers a show business pierre a lap dance. Everyone's champagne drunk, and she decides it's fine. She gives Howard a brief friendly lap dance and says the part of his show persona where he says his dick is tiny, is also fake.
Speaker 10: Hey bubba booye.
Speaker 2: Any hot girl could get on the show and get humiliated. But I had aced it and they loved me.
Speaker 5: The Howard Stern Show wants to book Jenna again asap, and she returns for a second episode in nineteen ninety six with her father Larry Mozzoli as a special guest.
Speaker 1: So your daughter is very beautiful. I mean I actually pleasure myself to her image. So I want to thank you for having her. I've watched the show, Howard. I find her really attractive. If I could find a way from my wife to die of cancer, I would marry Jenna. If you would have me, I'd love to have you as a son in law. At what age do you realize, man, my daughter's a piece of ass. Well I didn't put it quite that way, did you. Have to fight guys off and say, hey, that's my daughter. You better behave yourself. Oh all the time.
Speaker 11: I mean when they came over to pick up Jenna from the house, a lot of the time I'd answered the door in uniform.
Speaker 1: Oh you were a cop. I was a cop. I didn't know that for nineteen years.
Speaker 11: I retired in eighty six, decid to make some money instead, and I came home.
Speaker 1: Alive, and that was good, you know.
Speaker 11: But actually Jenna had a very normal life, except for the fact that I intimidated all of her boyfriends.
Speaker 1: And you are a huge man. Are you well blessed in that area as well? Well? I am Italian. Were you ever attracted to your own daughter in a bizarre way?
Speaker 12: No?
Speaker 4: Oh, god, I knew that was good.
Speaker 11: My philosophy is anyone who wants to have sex with their own children should put a cap in their brain. I mean, when I look at Jenna, I see her when I changed her diapers. You know, I never watched the movies, and I've never seen a dance.
Speaker 5: Jenna's making good on her word to Steve Ornstein that she'd make herself a household name. Now, every horny man who listens to the Howard Stern Show knows who she is. When Jenna World returns, Jenna takes the French Riviera by storm. Oh my God, Welcome back to Jenna World.
Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 2: I'm Jenna Jamison and I'm reporting to you from can France, where the biggest celebrities in the world have gathered to spend a week sunning, partying, and watching movies.
Speaker 5: Twenty one year old Jenna leaves America for the first time to go to France. She's nominated for a Hot Door, an adult awards show that takes place at the same time as the Can Film Festival, much like the AVIN Awards used to happen at the same time in Vegas as the Consumer Electronics Show, so that computer nerds would come spend money on porn. The idea is to mingle adult film stars and horny European film guys with spending money, of which there are a lot. From nineteen ninety two on the Hot Doors are thrown in tandem with can By Hot Video, a French porn trade magazine that's like the European version of Adult Video News. Unlike in America, in Europe, both on film and on the Riviera's beaches, you can famously show tits. The adult stars splay out naked on the riviera's beaches, attracting gawkers and paparazzi, although seaside nudity is normal and desexualized. There the Hot Doors host party to provide more chances for the canned folks to mingle with porn stars. There's a yacht party funded by Sweden's private media group, where adult stars pose on a boat.
Speaker 2: I could get off the plane and be anyone I wanted. I could be an untouchable icon, a slutty party girl, an uptight prude with a dark side, or the living embodiment of the fantasies of every male in the Western world and some of the females too.
Speaker 5: Jenna is in Can with her publicist Joy, her boss Deve Bornstein, and a couple of other wicked girls, former teacher Julie Ashton and Kaylin, Queen of Vaanel Nicole.
Speaker 2: Flash Bulbs went off everywhere. The paparazzi screamed and fought to take pictures of me, even though they had no idea who I was. It was so overwhelming and disorienting being pushed through the admiring crowd toward a waiting limo. I knew for the first time what an actual celebrity must feel like.
Speaker 5: Looking back, Jenna can see that she was starting to get addicted to the attention from cameras. In place of seeking one on one sexual validation, she starts to seek public approval. Fame is her new drug, one that goes with being a workaholic who craves constant praise. The more successful she gets, Jenna says, the more self absorbed she starts to become. The girls are herded into a limo that speeds them off to their new digs at the Royal Casino Hotel. Jenna has been in a lot of hotel casinos, but they were all vagus facsimiles of places like this, an upscale European luxury hotel off the picturesque coast of can Her first work obligation is a press conference. She knows the other girls will be wearing skimpy outfits, so Jenna decides to set herself apart, wearing a blue suit from Versace. She's getting better on Mike too. Acing the hot doors press conference outside, folks clamor for her autograph because they mistake her for Pamela Anderson. An official autograph session takes place in a basement. Jenna flips through an official can program guide and sees her own face and an ad for Wicked Pictures. A husband and wife team who are making a can travel show for the E Network interview Jenna. She's gotten so good on camera that they ask her to host their festival coverage and send her to the red carpet trenches to interview any famous people she can find. They film her walking along the beach on the French Riviera, wearing an iridescent pink Halter top in jeans, eating an ice cream bar.
Speaker 4: Perception I quickly learned is reality.
Speaker 5: They shoot a sequence where they pretend to catch Jenna midshower.
Speaker 2: Well right now, as you can see, I'm in the shower and I'm rushing to get to the awards.
Speaker 6: I kind of woke up late.
Speaker 2: I've been sleeping late lately, so I'm rushing and you caught me in a very awkward moment.
Speaker 5: Increasingly, Jenna feels like she's been chosen for stardom by fate. There is tremendous validation for her self concept and being on television, Being on Howard Stern helped her prove to herself and others that she was worth listening to. Being on E helps her prove that she's worth watching outside of porn. She celebrates her latest accomplishments by going clubbing. There's no air conditioning in France, so everyone is sweaty as hell and dancing to house music. People are also having public sex in the club. Jenna and the other porn girls wear bikinis and dance up on the bar. Her confidence is so sky high she picks out a French waiter to bring back to her hotel room. As is her tradition. They do foreplay in the clubs broom, then go back to the hotel to fuck all night. She gets uncomfortable when the waiter tries to cuddle her afterwards because it's too intimate. Then he tells her he's a teenager and Jenna gets totally grossed out. Ye Huck, a mainstream film director invites Jenna to a can film premiere. She goes out and splurges on a four thousand dollars black dress from the local Valentino boutique to wear the same year, Sharon Stone shows up for a can premiere in a mint green long Valentino skirt in hot Pan.
Speaker 2: Someone suddenly screamed Jenna, and the pandemonium began.
Speaker 4: It was a moment I wanted to last forever. It felt like I had arrived.
Speaker 5: Jenna wins Best New Starlet at the Hot Doors. Having achieved one name status at record speed, she instantly sets herself a new horizon, Hollywood.
Speaker 2: It was the first time I'd accomplished anything in my life that didn't involve taking off my clothes. I was completely enamored with the sight of my own image on television.
Speaker 5: Back home in La Jenna watches The e Can Special in bed with her boyfriend, Stephen Saint Croix. She never watches her own porns, but she can't look away from her beautiful reflection on the TV screen. Mainstream success feels inevitable to her because of all the attention she got in Can. Her boyfriend thinks she's starting to get a big head. Jenna won't stand for a man who belittles her achievements, even if she does keep weirdly referring to herself now as a star. She breaks up with Stephen Saint Croix and doesn't look back. Anyone who wants to be with Jenna has to realize that her career will take precedence right now while her stardom shoots up into space. She wins at the X Rated Critics Organization Awards, the Night Moves Award, Words, and the Fans of X Rated Entertainment Awards. She racks up nominations for the thirteenth annual Adult Video News Awards, the Oscars of Porn, which she is also asked to co host. She will return to Las Vegas or the Adult Video News Awards as a conquering hero. Jenna invites her father to be her ABN's date. He's left Redding and is in and out of touch again. Her brother updates her that their grandmother has throat cancer and his wife had a hysterectomy. Jenna's relationship with her family has turned into something more functional but also transactional, exchanging information with her brother and sending money to her dad, who agrees to come to Vegas as her date if she wires him some cash for the trip.
Speaker 2: Despite everything, I wanted my father to see me win. I wanted him to know that I was no longer a little girl who couldn't take care of herself. I wanted him to see that I was successful and respect I did and admired. I've wanted him to be proud of me. I've wanted him to care.
Speaker 5: For the nineteen ninety six Adult Video News Awards, Jenna wears a silver halterneck top and matching miniskirt made of slinky faux chainmail, most likely by Versace. She sports her signature smoky eye, pink frosted lip, and a high ponytail with a breed. The look is a space age sex babe like Barberella. The nineteen ninety six ABMs are at the Aladdin Hotel, which was later imploded and redeveloped into Planet Hollywood, where Britney Spears was kept hostage during her Piece of Me residency. The thirteenth annual ABNS are co hosted by comedian Bobby Slayton. Slayton is the first ever comedian.
Speaker 6: To host the awards show.
Speaker 5: It's also the first time the general public is allowed to attend what has previously been a private event just for those in the porn industry. The slogan of the thirteenth AVIEN Awards is give me Liberty. Free speech is trending with Howard Stern in nineteen ninety six is The People Versus Larry Flint about the censorship battles at Hustler Magazine as part of the effort to promote the porn industry to the general public. For the first time ever, the Adult Video News Awards are taped and broadcast on the pay per view adult channel Spice Network. When I went to the AVNS years ago, they did the smartest thing I've ever seen in an award show, which is to start the show with the in memoriam segment where there's a slide show of people of the industry who passed on that year. It gets everyone quiet and seeded, gets the show's sad emotional low point over with, and then breaks the tension immediately with jokes. Jenna co hosts the thirteenth annual Avian Awards with Bobby Slayton and Julia Ann, a porn star from Glendale who was in a feature dancing duo called Blondage with Jeanine Linda Molder. More on Janine later, Blondage's big finale was set to three dog Nights. Never been to Spain and off of Blondage, Julia Anne and Janine were both scouted into becoming Vivid Girls.
Speaker 13: Jenna Jamison, Wicked One, Wicked Pictures.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Brad Armstrong, Greg Steele, you guys made this happen. They sat with me for weeks and worked with me on this role. It was my baby and this is just topping it all off. Thank you, very very much.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 5: Jenna becomes the first performer to win Best New Starlet and Best Actress the same year. She poses with her Avian Award and pulls up her top to partially expose her left breast. She remembers that when Savannah won, she gave a very antagonistic speech, but Jenna is gracious. Rock gos to Freddie becomes first to male performer of the year two years in a row. Jenna's father remarks that as an adult, Jenna looks just like her mother. Now, Jenna understands that looking at her brings back traumatic memories of Judy Massuli for him. Because of the resemblance. She accepts him as a flawed human and chooses to forgive him for the chaotic aspects of her childhood. Larry Missuli is very proud of his daughter for her accomplishments, as unusual as they may be.
Speaker 2: My life is at a fucking peak. There's nowhere to go from here but down.
Speaker 5: After the AVNS, Jenna is too tired to party after co hosting and winning all night. She's twenty one years old and at the peak of the porn industry, looking out over the illuminated night neon of the Vegas Strip from a penthouse at the very top. Why would Jenna ever look down to see how far she could fall?
Speaker 2: Well, when you are twenty one and have the kind of power I did, you enjoy brandishing it.
Speaker 5: But success is also starting to change her personality in Savannah like ways. She develops a huge ego, thinking anything she does will turn to enormous profits. She starts to lose track of where Jenna Mizzoli ends and Jenna Jamison begins the bad Jenna starts winning out over the good one. She starts behaving like a diva on set, breaking the first rule of filmmaking, never disrespect the crew. As word gets around that Wicked's Golden Girl has become difficult to work with, Steve Ornstein gives her a talking to.
Speaker 6: You.
Speaker 10: You have to understand, Jenna, you are in the spotlight. You are the spokesperson for this industry. A lot of people look up to you, so you have to watch what you say. I'm not asking you to change the person that you are, but just think before you talk. Steve Orenstein, Wicked Pictures.
Speaker 5: Not everyone is a fan of Jenna. A lot of men who cover the adult business are gross guys who feel ownership over women they see on screen. They don't like it when girls they've jacked it to mouth off. This is what happens when Jenna meets a writer named al Goldstein.
Speaker 9: I may be making a lot of money, but I really believe I'm doing some good bye demathologizing a lot about sexuality. Al Goldstein Screw Magazine.
Speaker 5: Alvin al Goldstein is a New York Jew and a Capricorn. His first hustles included driving taxis, selling encyclopedias, and running a carnival game. With the nineteen sixty four World's Fair, he wrote for The New York Free Press, the East Coast spinoff of the hip underground newspaper the La Free Press. In nineteen sixty eight, al Goldstein and a partner found Screw Magazine, which publishes pictures as well as reviews of Times Square, peep shows, massage, parlors and escort services.
Speaker 9: Screw grew from a combination of many factories, chief of which was my own dissatisfaction with the sex literature of nineteen sixty eight and my yearning for a publication that reflected my sexual appetites.
Speaker 5: At its peak, Screw sells one hundred and forty thousand copies weekly for twenty five cents a pop. Al Goldstein gets arrested on obscenity charges nineteen times. He's prosecuted in Wichita, Kansas due to venue shopping. The court cases clean out his pockets but create publicity for Al Goldstein, who paints himself as a free speech champion. Goldstein believes he was being punished for running an article about Jay Edgar Hoover's sexuality with a gay slur in the title. When the federal case against him dismissed, he flies the jury out to New York sex club Plato's Retreat to celebrate. Goldstein writes a rave review for Deep Throat that sparks the publicity storm. After the movie dies in its first run in La Deep Throat is brought back to New York's World Theater, where it sets box office records. Goldstein stokes the fire over adult films and censorship that lead to deep throats obscenity trials, and sets the template for the publicity machine around porn.
Speaker 9: I was never so moved by any theatrical performance since stuttering through my own bar mitzvah.
Speaker 5: Al Goldstein's portfolio expands to spin offs like Smut Magazine and Death Magazine, which lasted four issues. He starts a screw studio that produces porn in a local public access TV show called Midnight Blue, which pioneers the format of weird Horny Guy interviews super hot girls that also becomes Howard Stern signature.
Speaker 6: On Midnight Blue, Al.
Speaker 5: Goldstein interviews people like Honeysuckle Divine, a former Novice nun who became a Times Square stripper. Honeysuckle Divine also worked as an s in DC, claiming to have serviced Lyndon B. Johnson's Gigantic Hog.
Speaker 12: After I'd been in Washington a couple of years, I met the President. I'd been screwing one of his aids, and this guy told me about the President, and then I screwed one of his relatives. So the President must have heard about me from these people. Honeysuckle Divine artists.
Speaker 5: Women who fucked presidents. Those are my presidents. Honeysuckle Divine wasn't a very good dancer, so she came up with a gimmick inserting objects like ping pong balls and pickles into her vagina on stage and shooting them out. After the show, she bagged the pickles and sold them to the audience. All let Honeysuckle Divine describe her own routine.
Speaker 12: I started by wheeling out my shopping cart full of surprises. The first thing I did was stick a mop handle in my puss and clean the stage floor. Then I pulled the mop handle my puss and made a lot.
Speaker 6: Of pussy farts.
Speaker 12: The audience always gotta laugh out of that. I made my puss sound like a duck. I'd say I fucked the duck and the ducks still in there. I lit a candle with a match, then extinguished the flame with my puss. Then I'd blow out the flame from three candles all at once. After that, I put three candles in my puss, lit them, and stood on my head. I'd count down and blast off the candles shy out of my puss like a rocket. I'd call that pussy propulsion. After the candles, I smoked a cigarette in my puss and blew smoke rings in time with Glenn Miller's swing music. This is an old time trick for the smoker stag parties. I used to be afraid of cancer because of the smoke. Then I poured Jurgen's lotion into my parts, which I then shoot twenty feet into the air. The guys within shooting range scatter in all directions. I joked that the guys were closed to me are in the combat zone. Then I put talcum powder in my pussy, which I blow out in big white clouds. Then I shoot ping punk balls out. The powder gives me better grip on the balls so I can shoot them fifteen.
Speaker 6: To twenty feet.
Speaker 12: I prepare each ball carefully. I write Honeysuckle, Love your balls on them, and then I wrap the meat jump in a baggie to keep the autograph dry so whoever catches them can keep them as souvenirs.
Speaker 5: Becoming a vaginal prop comedian takes Honeysuckle Divine from Times Square fixture to touring headliner. She is the official mascot of Screw, the countercultural counterpart to the Playboy Bunny. Screw never achieves the financial heights of its successor, Hustler, founded by Goldstein's best friend Larry Flint, But like Larry Flint, Al Goldstein does publicity stunts to further his free speech reputation. In nineteen ninety two, he puts up a billboard announcing he's running for sheriff and Broward County against Nick Navarro, the Florida sheriff who became famous for arresting the Miami based group Two Live Crew on obscenity charges for their nineteen eighty nine smash hit album As Nasty As They Want to Be. He does not follow through with the campaign. Joy King sets up Jenna for a penthouse interview with Al Goldstein, but she instantly finds him creepy. When he suggests Jenna should do a sexual favor to get in the magazine, Jenna walks away mid interview. Goldstein retaliates by publishing an anti Jenna editorial in Screw, calling her a spoiled bitch, attempting to degrade her with his pen. Jenna is appalled. The success she thought would provide her control also means giving up her privacy. When Jenna World returns, Jenna falls in love. Oh my God, Welcome back to Jenna World. While she'd been stunned and enchanted by the blinding flashbulbs of the cameras, it can now that she is in the spotlight. She can see the darkness surrounding her.
Speaker 2: I close myself off, not wanting to let what's in the mirror of my life stare back at me.
Speaker 4: I never take time to.
Speaker 2: Feel the effects of my choices. Sometimes everything seems so surreal.
Speaker 5: Jenna is always on the road, featured dancing. At home, all she does is work. Her corvette gets broken into, making her feel anxious. She feels lonesome. Most men don't even try to flirt with her, either because they're intimidated or because La is so oversaturated with hotties that nobody blinks an eye at ABM's Best News starlet as she walks blondly and boobily down the street. Jenna is down, so she agrees to go out with a guy she's not instantly attracted to because he keeps coming around. His name is Rod Hopkins, a libra from Toronto. He's a porn actor and director whose stage name is Brad Armstrong.
Speaker 2: He never struck me as someone that I would be attracted to, let alone go out with. He chased me for months trying to go out with me.
Speaker 5: Like Jenna, Brad Armstrong started stripping at seventeen. He was brought into porn by a girlfriend to do a six way sex scene for the film Bimbo Bowlers from Boston. Rod is five foot ten with brown, spiky hair, an earring, and a razor thin goateee connecting into a chin strap. He takes her out and the date is a dud. He dead ends her questions and he's quiet, which Jenna takes for a lack of passion. At the end of the night, Jenna gets out of his car as fast as she can.
Speaker 2: He lacked the passion that I needed. I like a man to be straightforward and confident, and he really was a little meek for me.
Speaker 5: It turns out he is just Canadian and nervous about going on a date with Jenna. As they hang out more, he loosens up and laughs at her jokes. He's moved from performing into directing for Wicked. Jenna might not be into him physically at first, but she's very attracted to his ambition. She loves the idea of collaborating with a director who will listen to her ideas. Brad lets Jenna help out with every part of their new movie, Cover to Cover, where she plays a horny librarian who fantasizes herself into the sex scenes from different books she reads. They have a shoestring budget, so Jenna doing every job is more than just her industriousness at work. Pornsets are like an immersive film school. Remember how Jenna got into obsessive crafting when she was on meth. Film production provides similarly kinetic thrills without the drugs.
Speaker 6: Jenna loves to put on a show.
Speaker 5: For Cover to Cover, she helps with costumes, sets, and the screenplay. She also stars. She and Brad, who aren't dating, have sex together for one scene. He bonks her cervix, which delays filming for hours.
Speaker 8: This movie was called Cover to Cover, where she played a librarian who would pick up these classic books and fantasize herself into each scenario. Lee Garland makeup artist.
Speaker 5: Jenna continues warming up to Brad. She likes how he directs her. In Cover to Cover, Jenna does her first male male female threesome with Brad and a guy named Mark Davis. She finds it harder than she expected to make it look natural. She's also thrown off when a female performer who can squirt breast milk on command starts doing so without warning, squirting it into Jenna's vagina.
Speaker 6: And looking it up.
Speaker 5: Jenna doesn't dig improv after this incident, she makes sure to fully negotiate all sex acts that will occur during filming Before shooting starts. Brad and another porn director named Greg Steel move into a five story house in Studio City that they planned to turn into a porn house. Porn first started shooting in houses because sound stages wouldn't rent to porn companies. They kept doing it because it became a signature stylistic element. Nineties porn houses are the cheaper version of LA's luxury mansion, minimalist and modernist, with pristine all white interiors, glass bricks, and huge windows, but also telltale crappy carpeting and cheap fixtures. Jenna finally hooks up with Brad, but there's a catch. He has virgin wore hangups for Jenna. Raised in the casino cathedrals of Las Vegas, whose gods are sex, money, and pleasure. This does not compute why would you feel bad about having sex?
Speaker 2: As the relationship progressed, it became harder and harder for him to fuck me because he was caught in a double bind. It seemed like in order to get pleasure during sex, he had to humiliate the woman, but it was impossible for him to humiliate the woman he loved.
Speaker 5: Now, some gals are into being verbally humiliated during sex consentually, of course, but Jenna is.
Speaker 6: Not one of them.
Speaker 5: For her, being called a whore is not a fun sex thing. It's a trigger. Brad and Greg Steel's porn house dreams get cabashed by the local homeowners association. Brad downsizes to a valley ranch house with a pool, and Jenna moves in with him despite her reservations.
Speaker 2: I always try to analyze why I fall in love with people, and usually it is for the wrong reasons. So even though I knew something was lacking between us, we were both enjoying riding each other's wave.
Speaker 4: When we moved in together, we made a pact that.
Speaker 2: We were only going to work with each other, he as my director and me as his star.
Speaker 5: Jenna is Wicked's main contract girl and Brad Armstrong is Wicked's first contract director. She likes the idea of being in an industry power couple. She falls in love with the idea. Brad has some pluses too. He's domestically inclined. He sews, making them silken velvet curtains and tailoring Jenna's clothes. He unabashedly loves her. He's not volatile or mean. Jenna, who's always craved stability, knows she should be happy, but is she no? Now that she's in a calm relationship, Jenna acts like a huge bitch. Now she's the impulsive, angry one. She punishes Brad for being vulnerable by mocking his manhood, picking fights and threatening to leave. Whenever I said I was out of there, he would cry. And once a man cries yes it's over, show me any weakness and I'll stomp all over you. I clearly wasn't ready for a relationship.
Speaker 2: I was still living out unresolved conflicts from my past.
Speaker 5: Brad isn't a macho dickhead like Jenna's other boyfriends, but he's passive aggressive. He doesn't tell her to shut up, but he takes subtle digs at her confidence by saying he's only really attracted to Asian women, or that Jenna's ass is going to drop with age. These are cheap tactics, but they work, making her self conscious and needy. When Jenna tells Brad not to call her a whore during sex, he ignores her, which makes her rightfully furious. The needier she gets, the more Brad pulls away. He doesn't go to biker bars or cheat on her, but he retreats inwards, isolating himself to write scripts as an excuse to avoid her. Between working together, living together, and Brad's inability to enjoy sex with a woman, and he also respects things are not great, but they're making good movies, and Jenna's urge to be settled down at twenty two years old is stronger than reality. So instead of breaking up, they double down and get engaged. Jenna thinks it'll make their love stronger, and she really really wants to get married. She buys herself the wedding ring and starts planning a big, lavish wedding.
Speaker 4: I wore a big, beautiful princess gown.
Speaker 2: I wanted it to be a fairy tale.
Speaker 5: Jenna wants a wedding so badly she pushes down her gut feelings about Brad. Twenty two is how old Jenna's mother was when she married her father, and she wants that too. She plans a forty five thousand dollars wedding at the Wilshire Ebel Theater and her family flies into La for it. December twentieth, nineteen ninety. Twenty two year old Jenna Jamison Mary's Brad Armstrong in La at the Wiltshire Ebel Theater with a frosted nude lip, smoky eye off the shoulder princess dressed with a big white veil and headband, white flowers in her hair, and a bouquet of red and white roses. An hour before she ties the knot, she gets a sinking feeling and confesses to her dad that she worries she rushed the relationship into marriage too quickly.
Speaker 8: Honestly, she was having serious doubts and questions on the day of the wedding itself.
Speaker 2: An hour before it was supposed to walk down that aisle. I looked at my father and I said, Dad, I don't want to marry him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just do it.
Speaker 11: It's not like you're going to be nailed to the cross. You're getting cold feet, that's all. You don't like it. You can get out of it easily. Larry Mozzoli, Jenna's father.
Speaker 5: It is Jenna's dream wedding in almost every aspect but one. When she sees Brad standing at the altar, she feels nothing. Her spirit leaves her body the entire ceremony. They get a room at the Beverly Hills Hotel for their first night as newlyweds and pass out without consummating the union. The honeymoon in Hawaii goes just as well. There's a tropical storm and Jenna gets bitten up by mosquito's doing a photoshoot. Because Brad insists on turning the trip into work, he does his disappearing act. Holing up in the hotel to write. Jenna spends most of her honeymoon on the phone talking to joy King. Brad and Jenna go to a sedate New Year's Eve celebration at the resort and fall asleep before the ball drops. On the way back home, she snaps at him.
Speaker 2: Fine, go ahead and write another mother fucking script.
Speaker 4: I couldn't care less. They're bad anyway.
Speaker 5: At first, they fight behind closed doors, but pretty soon they're fighting on set too. Jenna acts like a diva, purposely running late because she knows it fucks up Brad's tightly budgeted schedule. He's behaving badly too, giving other starlet's special treatment and calling Jenna stupid in front of everyone. Brad is prone to going soft on set. Now, look, there's nothing wrong with going soft. Sex is weird and people get nervous, but for male performers, having a boner is the main job requirement. There's viagra now, but back in ye old mid nineties, going soft could hold up shooting. Brad insists Jenna and their co star keep going with the threesome scene they're doing, while he stops participating sexually in Just Films, even though he set up his own cuckolding, Brad holds a gross and expresses it through endless takes, making Jenna insecure about her acting. He also writes himself a scene where he fucks one of her close friends.
Speaker 2: You kind of push your feelings aside a bit and pretty much look at it as business.
Speaker 9: You know a lot of people their husbands or wives are fooling around on them anyway.
Speaker 4: At least here it's kind of a controlled environment. Brad Armstrong director.
Speaker 5: But Jenna has other stuff to focus on. Because she did so well on Howard Stern's radio show, she gets called into audition for his movie Private Parts, a semi autobiographical comedy based on his best selling book of the same name. She's auditioning for the role of the lesbian for producer Ivan Wrightman, who directed Ghostbusters, a movie that people think of as being for kids, even though it has Dan Aykroyd getting a blowjob from a ghost. Ivan Wrightman has crossed the streams between Hollywood and porno before, when he produced A Cronenberg's Rabid starring seventies porn star Marylynd Chambers. Porn and horror are parallel lanes, low budget genres with obsessive fans whose main hook is the promise of seeing the human body do something crazy. This is Jenna's first audition for a mainstream movie. She's put in a lineup with a bunch of other big breasted, blonde babes and bombs the audition from nerves, but she gets called back for a different part, a girl who gets naked on Stearn's radio show, Jenna gets flown first class to New York to audition for Ivan Reitman and Private Parts director Betty Thomas.
Speaker 2: I actually had to do a cold reading with Howard. I cannot tell you how scared I was. I mean, that's a lot of pressure for a girl who was twenty two at the time. And I nailed it. And Howard looked at me and he goes, you got it, girl, and I was like, yes. It was my first major role in a big screen movie.
Speaker 5: Jenna is going to be in a mainstream film for the first time in her life, and a big budget won at that. Howard Stern's book publisher Simon and Schuster is sister companies with Paramount Films, who had a nineteen ninety two comedy blockbuster with Wayne's World, directed by Penelope Speirras. In the nineties, there's a brief surge of female directors in comedy, both because the nineties are supposed to fix the misogyny of eighties Hollywood and because comedies are considered fairly low risk. The insane success of Wayne's World shows that a woman can direct a hit one about dudes, no less. In nineteen ninety five, Betty Thomas directs the Brady Bunch movie. Tamra Davis, a music video director who directed the rap comedy See Before, then directs nineteen ninety five's Billy Madison, also a huge hit. Howard Stern wants Ivan Reitman to direct Private Parts, but Ivan Wrightman hires Betty Thomas, who just made a TV movie about the behind the scenes network wars for Letterman and Leno called The Late Show. The Brady Bunch movie quadrupled its twelve million dollar budget in profit. Betty Thomas wasn't sure about working with Howard Stern because of his persona, but he convinces her.
Speaker 14: After a while. Howard came out. When he took my hand, he was shaking. He was so vulnerable and scared. I couldn't believe it. I saw something in his eyes that I loved. Right then, I wanted to do the movie. Betty Thomas director.
Speaker 5: It's still a big gamble. It's unclear if a Howard Stern movie will have appeal beyond his diehard fans. Private Part structure is based off Bob Fosse's Lenny Bruce biopick. Lenny Stern is still doing his radio show five days a week while they film. Stern has won the chance to play himself in his own bio pick over the studios pick of Jeff Goldbloom Philipsymour. Hoffmann loses the role of Kenny Pig Vomit Russian to Paul Giamatti. Jenna replaces JJ North, a buxhum five foot two blonde scream queen. JJ North has done toplessness on screen, but when she finds out they want full nudity, she resigns. They offer the role to Jenna, who is willing to do full nudity.
Speaker 4: Not me, Jenna Jamison, I'm never naked.
Speaker 5: The Private Part set is a huge machine, with a million moving parts and enormous crew, unlike anything Jenna has experienced in the low budget world of porn filmmaking. While porn filmmakers blitz through shooting for budgetary reasons, sometimes making entire movies in a day, the Private Parts production has the luxuries of time and money. Jenna even has a stand in for the first time. She's asked to do twenty four takes of her one brief scene, which she finds wildly extravagant compared to a running gun porn shoot. When Jenna World returns Jenna takes Hollywood. Oh My, Welcome back to Jenna worlds. Called upon to level up to Hollywood standards of professionalism, Jenna's diva behavior vanishes. She wants to prove herself. One day, Howard Stern calls her into his trailer. She's not sure if he's going to ask for a sexual favor or how she'll respond if he does. She feels sexually attracted to Stern, but also values having a male mentor in show business who treats her like a human being. He makes small talk instead of a move on her, and she's relieved.
Speaker 1: Jenna, I really believe in you. I really think that you are a good girl and a good person, and I'm going to do anything in my power to help you get to where you need to be because you deserve it.
Speaker 2: Watch out for Jenna Jamison, I'm taking over.
Speaker 5: Jenna takes Joy King as her date instead of her husband Brad to the New York red carpet premiere of Private Parts. It's even more glamorous than can. Jenna wears a bright yellow collared shirt zipped halfway down with a black pushup bra showing underneath. She sports frosted purple eyeshadow paired with a brown frosted lip, with shimmery purply blue nails and a high I dream of Genie type ponytail and swooping bayang. At the premiere, Jenna is starstruck by John bon Jovi and Joey Ramone. She meets the titgeous alternative rockstar and tells him that she strips to his music. He escorts her around the fancy cocktail party and they sit next to each other during the screening. She notices almost immediately that he is a weird loser, but whatever. He invites her to another party and they share a limo with Billy Corgan. The rock star takes some pills and does some coke, and despite Jenna still being married to Brad, they make out. At the party. They also run into Prince.
Speaker 1: Hi Prince Musician.
Speaker 5: Jenna and the mystery rocker go back to a hotel and have sex. When he asks her to stay and cuddle, she gets the ick and bails back to her own hotel room, where her husband is. The rocker starts calling her all the time. She has a sexual affair with him, but the more they hang out, the less she likes him. He's weird in a weird way, not a fun way. He talks about outrageous stuff like wanting to see women fuckesthetic limbs. She wouldn't want him as a potential boyfriend, even if she wasn't already technically still totally married. She denies the affair on Stern after photos go public, but then the rocker sells her out in his own Stern interview. Private Parts is not a smash hit. It makes its budget back, but with eleven million dollars spent on marketing, it basically breaks even. With a forty million dollar gross. It's pushed out to theaters and swiftly rolled back, reflecting a new film trend, first week box office as sole determiner of success. No longer can movies grow an audience through word of mouth. Having stormed the motion picture castle and failed to demonstrate innate bankability, Howard Stern retreats back to radio.
Speaker 2: Do a Little Dance, Make a Little Love, Get down Tonight.
Speaker 5: The E Channel calls Jenna to do wild on their show that explores beautiful travel destinations with a sexy woman hosting. They want her to cover the red carpet openings of two new locations of the Planet Hollywood restaurant franchise in Bangkok and Singapore. They film Jenna jumping off a boat in a buttercup yellow bikini and matching yellow scuba goggles. Even with her can experience, Jenna is nervous about interviewing Hollywood stars, but they don't even know she's a porn star. They just see her microphone with a big white E Entertainment Network logo and an opportunity for press. She gets FaceTime with Jackie Chan, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Bruce Willis, and Sylvester Stallone. Jenna claims a supermodel whose name rhymes with Bindi Brawford makes a pass at her, allegedly, also allegedly making passes at Jenna in Bangkok, Wesley snipes Sylvester Stallone doesn't hit on her, which intrigues her. She flirts with Bruce Willis.
Speaker 2: He looked fine instantly, I felt my chest flush and tingle, even though he was wearing a creepy pair of shorts.
Speaker 4: I was still attracted.
Speaker 5: Allegedly, Bruce Willis kisses her in the middle of the crowd. After the party, his bodyguard tells her mister Willis is waiting for her in his limo. Jenna tells the bodyguard to let Bruce Willis marinate and goes back to her Bankcock Hotel room alone. E is thrilled with her hosting skills and wants to sign her up to do more red carpet interviewing. She flies back home to la and to Brad.
Speaker 8: Immediately after their wedding, he began to direct some of her movies, and Rod is one of the most difficult taskmasters there is to work for.
Speaker 5: Jenna and Brad decide the best way to work on their marriage is to have sex with other people on screen. Brad uses his clout to cast the Asian American women. He has a professed racial fetish for US as co stars, and Jenna uses her star power to work with other directors. It hurts Jenna's feelings that Brad easily gets a boner for his new costar Asia careerra. Jenna takes it out on the crew, which, as we've established by now, is the number one thing not to do.
Speaker 4: My husband's pretty.
Speaker 5: Rad At home, Jenna tries to reconnect with her husband.
Speaker 6: She wants him to show.
Speaker 5: Some sign that he really loves her, that he still wants to fuck her, but he just avoids her, pulling away from her, avoiding sex and holding up in his office to write scripts. She tells him, if he's not going to fuck her anymore, she'll find someone else who will. He says, go ahead, and so Jenna leaves Brad ten weeks after their wedding.
Speaker 4: I knew that it wasn't going to work.
Speaker 5: Jenna feels like the more she seeks peace, the more tumultuous things become. She seeks the comfort from others that she can't find in herself. She's getting burned out on doing porn, and people in the industry are burned out on her bad attitude and how unreliable she's become. But the industry is booming, and so is Jenna's stardom. Porn budgets are still skyrocketing up to six figures. As much as she once wanted to combine her creative life with a partner, she now sees the value in full autonomy.
Speaker 6: At the peak of.
Speaker 5: Her career, when she should be earning as much as she possibly can, she can't let her personal life get in the way, and so Jenna decides to run away from all her responsibilities to Miami. She gets a hotel and makes it a work trip by booking features at a club called Miami Gold in Florida. She gets back in touch with her, laying out to get tan before heading to the strip club.
Speaker 2: Each night in the evenings, I danced at Miami Gold, breaking in thousands upon thousands of dollars. It was easy, mindless work, just splay and smile.
Speaker 5: Jenna picks up a stranger for sex, a random hot guy who sees her dancing at Miami Gold.
Speaker 2: He wasn't loud or obnoxious. He didn't feel a need to brag or prove himself, and he was unaware of how good looking he was.
Speaker 4: He had no game.
Speaker 2: And because of that, I felt comfortable, like I could let my guard down and be myself without worrying he wanted anything.
Speaker 6: From me instead of hooking up.
Speaker 5: They talk all night. When they do start to hook up, he can't get hard, but she's not upset. She finds it flattering that she makes him so nervous. Jenna likes spending time with a hot guy who isn't trying to control her. She likes it so much she decides to quit porn and move to Miami. She tells Joy King, who is not stoked. Joy reminds Jenna she's still under contract to Wicked for at least two more films. Why would she sabotage her white Hawk career, But Jenna learned from her father, when things get tough, you can always just hit the road. To avoid dealing with the unraveling of her marriage to Brad and mounting career responsibilities, Jenna takes an endless vacation where she is accountable to no one.
Speaker 2: Away from La, life seem much more simple. I realized that my whole adult life, I had been in control. I had the power to make my life easy or difficult. I had just been giving that power away to other people. Taking it back was just as easy and as hard as stepping back and making a decisive change.
Speaker 5: Jenna returns to La to file for divorce. Brad is regretful and begs for her back, but it's too late.
Speaker 2: He didn't feel that he deserved me, and now it had become a self fulfilling prophecy.
Speaker 5: Jenna's hosting deal with E goes up and smoke due to a corporate merger with Comcast. While E was libertine, Comcast is conservative and they no longer want ease, horny or content. Jenna is at a crossroads. She knows she needs to keep grinding while she's a hot commodity, but she doesn't want to. She's tired of working hard, and so it's back to Miami Bitch. Jordan gets a huge back tattoo of Jenna. She gets an ankle tattoo that says Jordan's crazy girl. He still lives with his parents, who are working class Colombian immigrants. They accept Jenna, who they've been told is a bikini model. Jenna is staying at the Fountain Blue Hotel in Miami Beach, but she wants something more permanent, so she decides to build a place in Florida, Jenna's dream House. To rack up cash, she books a national feature dancing tour. Her contract girl status gets her top filling and rates up to three thousand dollars a show. Four shows a night, plus another thousand dollars each show in cash tips, for a total of thirteen thousand dollars a night. Jenna devises her own show with segments themed after Alice in Wonderland and a terminator parody called the Feminator Burnt Out on collaborative film sets. She has become a stripping mercenary.
Speaker 2: I was a different person now, fearless and terrifying.
Speaker 4: I wasn't sure if that was necessarily a good thing.
Speaker 5: The customers don't care about her props or movie parodies. They just want to see her body. Some of the clubs turn out to be bikini bars where she can't even show the goods, and several don't allow lap dances, where dancers make the most cash.
Speaker 10: Many of the.
Speaker 5: Strip clubs are shitty dives where the club owners insist on taking a cut of her polaroid signings. Another way, she makes quick bank. But Jenna can't pull her diva stuff on tour. She can't walk out on her boss if she's her own boss. She has committed to this entirely of her own will and has no one to blame but herself. If it's a bus, she has to fall back on her basic stripper training from the Crazy Horse too. No bells, no whistles, no terminator costume, just Jenna. When she gets back to Miami after a month on the road, she finds that Jordan is now angry and possessive. In one short month, he is morphed into a guy like all her other exes. He wants to come on the road to keep an eye on her, even though they met while.
Speaker 6: She was stripping.
Speaker 5: He suddenly objects to stuff she does for work, like sitting in laps for photo ops.
Speaker 6: Joy King keep.
Speaker 5: Sending Jenna offers that come in for her to do mainstream talking head interviews, but she starts turning down work because of Jordan.
Speaker 6: Uh Oh.
Speaker 2: I think that girls often experiment by dating different types of guys to see what will work for them. A dominant, possessive guy who wanted me to be barefoot and pregnant didn't jibe with my unhealthy sense of ambition.
Speaker 5: Jenna knows she's once again compromising her independence for a man, but she gets swept up in what feels like true romance. Brad was so passive aggressive that she's drawn into what an agro dick Jordan has become. Although Jenna is no strict follower of gender roles, she likes when men act macho, she hates when they're sensitive or cry, and she hates cuddling because she despises what she sees as feminine vulnerability. Even in herself. Jenna sees the attention Jordan gives her as a sign that he cares, but he's a controlling psycho. He goads her to wear less makeup, tells her to stop using tampon so his dick will be the only thing inside her, and gets furious if he thinks she's looking at other men even in passing. He says she belongs to him, and she starts to believe him. Jenna realizes she has stepped on the same rake again that she always does. She keeps getting in situation she knows in her heart aren't right for her. She just really wants to be in love. She knows she can't end up with Jordan, who wants to turn her into a tradwife. Jenna's anger about trapping herself in another bad relationship comes out at work. She starts raging out on strip club customers, spilling her drinks on them. If she thinks they're not paying her enough attention, she walks off stage if she doesn't like the crowd. One guy throws change at her and she jabs him in the throat with her high heel. And yet the angrier she gets on stage, the more positively the crowd responds, and the more money they spend.
Speaker 4: Oddly.
Speaker 2: The more I acted out, the more guys liked it.
Speaker 4: It riled up the crowd. When I was a fucker.
Speaker 2: I never dared to act like that at the Crazy Horse, but I had never been that angry there.
Speaker 4: I didn't know it was an option.
Speaker 5: At one club, she meets a fan who roadies for the band Tool. When the club owner sifts Jenna on tips, the tool roady keys his car for her. She hires him on the spot to be her own tour roadie. Tool Guy helps her draw up a dressing room writer with demands like prohibiting other strippers from dancing to Jenna's signature songs. Most strippers don't talk on stage because it's easier to project private fantasies onto a blank slate, but Jenna comes up with a bit where she says it's her birthday. Every night on tour she says tonight is her birthday, and she's dancing on her birthday because she cares so much. The birthday bit makes her tips.
Speaker 6: Go way up.
Speaker 5: The diva behavior starts creeping in again. On tour, she makes more and more outrageous demands on strip club owners, demanding limos for travel and making them move her hotel reservations. If she doesn't like the room service menu where she's booked, she blows into town, makes as much money as she can, and then blows out. But word travels and she starts getting a bad reputation all around the country. Jenna may well be the best, but she's also become so difficult to work and deal with that people don't care if she's the best. She's a huge pain in the ass. There's one other person she's willing to let cash in on her fame, her father, Larry Mizzoli. Her uncle wants to open a strip club in Anaheim, California, with Jenna's name involved. Her father and brother open Jenna Jamison's Scamps, Anaheim's premier gentleman's club. The city of Anaheim is known for a few things. Orange Groves, the Angels major League baseball team, briefly electing members of the ku Klux Klan do It City Council in the nineteen twenties, and the Skopunk band No Doubt, And of course, everyone's favorite physical manifestation of a dead guy's false idealized memories of childhood, Disneyland. Anaheim is basically a mob town run by the Disney Mafia, and one thing you must never do is go against the mouse. Anaheim's main industry is tourism, driven by Disneyland, family vacationers, and Orange County skews conservative. Some people were not happy to see Jenna in Anaheim. The city of Anaheim makes Scamps remove a large sexy poster of Jenna, and on opening day there are protests against a strip club named for a porn star opening in family friendly Anaheim. Some fans show up to support Jenna, who is set to make regular feature dancing appearances at Scamps, but Jenna finds that working with her family is fraught. Her uncle, who set up the strip club deal, is a scammer, her dad is dating one of the dancers at scamps, and to her absolute horror, is smoking math. Jenna recalls why she wanted to leave stripping for porn in the first place. With Jenna taking an indefinite, unplanned hiatus from shooting porn to do her endless strip club tourse, Steve Bornstein hires another Wicked Pictures contract girl. Serenity, whose birth name is Sonia Elizabeth Lane, is a former ballet dancer and waitress from Missouri. Serenity is as hard working as Jenna. Has become flaky after working as a makeup artist on porn movies like Tits A Wonderful Life. Jenna's old roommate, Nikki Tyler, has become a vivid girl. Her marriage to the newstand guy has collapse, in part because he didn't get why she acts so differently off screen compared to how she seems in her movies.
Speaker 13: Why can't in the movies you do all these crazy positions? And I was like, that's for the camera. I don't really want to do all these positions. Nicki Tyler performer.
Speaker 5: And technically, Jenna is still under contract to Wicked, So when Steve Ornstein calls and asks if she wants to come back and do one of the two movies she owes him, she has no choice but to say yes. She's also getting tired of touring. Her boyfriend Jordan, goes ballistic.
Speaker 2: I couldn't continue to do movies without hurting Jordan. Yet, to leave the industry for Jordan would mean to throw away everything I had worked so hard for.
Speaker 5: When she is getting ready to leave Miami, Jordan tells her she's a good for nothing slut who is throwing her life away. He has ruined her confidence and now she's off to get it back. Her comeback film is called Dangerous Tides, directed by her ex husband Brad, who is still the main contract director for Wicked. They shoot it on a boat off the coast of Catalina Island, a small island off the coast of la that was a nineteen thirties party island for showbiz folks and is now a fun place to do snorkeling, check out a haunted Art deco ballroom and see wild Bison. Jordan has gotten so into Jenna's head that she feels guilty for leaving him to do her job that she's been contracted to do. She's depressed and nauseous. While her co stars Asia Carrera and Jill Kelly party and have fun on the boat, Jenna is crying constantly, and to make things worse, her left breast implant is fucked up. Scar tissue is growing around the implant. After the shoot, she goes to a plastic surgeon named doctor Garth and gets the scar tissue removed and new implants put in. She recovers from the surgery at Jill Kelly's house. Jenna first met Jill Kelly at a valley strip club called Bob's Classy Lady Quote, home of the original Shower Show. Jill Kelly starred in adult films like Hollywood Hills, Sex Party, Rock Groupies, and Heat and Butt Sisters Do Philadelphia. She was married to a male performer named Cal Jammer, who committed suicide in front of her house, forcing her to be the first person to discover his body. After cal Jammer's death, Kelly becomes romantically involved with a female performer who goes by the name PJ Sparks. Jill and PJ performed together at strip clubs as a feature duo under the act named Fire and Ice. When Jenna finishes postop, she's happy with how the results look, although she's starting to regret getting such big implants.
Speaker 2: I had big boobs to begin with, but in this industry, a girl has to be larger than life. The problem is that big implants are a magnet for creeps and a hindrance to most physical activity.
Speaker 5: Jenna brings Jordan out on tour and he loses his shit, immediately calling her a whore and telling her she has to stop dancing. Forever, even though that's how they met in the first place. Jill Kelly watches this all go down and gives Jenna a look that says she is appalled by Jordan's treatment of her, and Jenna knows she's right.
Speaker 2: I was done done with him once again. I'd allow a guy to control me and in the process lost my entire sense of self.
Speaker 5: The fantasy Jenna had about Jordan, about being a normal housewife in Miami is over now. She goes to a tattoo parlor and covers up the Jordan's portion of her Jordan's crazy Girl ankle tattoo so that it just reads crazy girl. She tells him she's going to a trade show and flees to the airport, never to return. A few months later, Jordan shows up in La not to harass Jenna, but looking for work in the porn industry as a security guard. Because La is a small town and the valley is even smaller, Jordan ends up working as Jill Kelly's bodyguard.
Speaker 2: To be in this industry, you need to have strong grounding because you are questioned by everyone, even yourself, on a daily basis, and if you fall into the trap and start hating who you are, then you are going to start taking it out on yourself and everyone around you.
Speaker 5: Back in the LA area, without a place of her own to stay, Jenna goes to Irvine to stay with her old friend Nicki Tyler, and Nicky's new boyfriend Lyle Danger. When she gets there, Nicky and Lyle are doing lots of drugs and fighting NonStop. Jenna feels like she's reliving her years with Jack. One night, Jenna hears Lyle abusing Nicki and runs into the other room to fight him off. He bolts from the house and never comes back. Jenna convinces Nikki they should get a new place together, a place of their own with no bad boyfriends to ruin it.
Speaker 2: We can start our lives all over again, just you and me, and this time we can make all the right choices and we can make them together, no guys.
Speaker 5: Jenna and Niki find a two bedroom in LA and rekindle their friendship. Nicky's on prozac for her mental health, but then Nicky starts self medicating with little bits of vicot in take in with straight vodka. Because she's there too, Jenna takes the little swig of vodka sometimes then she starts to pop vikeo in. Occasionally, Jenna convinces herself this kind of drug taking is okay. It's prescribed by a doctor. A doctor wouldn't just give out powerful opioids for no reason, right.
Speaker 2: I had always thought that it was men who were bad for me, But the problem with guys ultimately was one of control, who had it and how they got to use it.
Speaker 5: So Jenna restarts her life and her porn career yet again, but in the apartment with Nikki, she also rediscovers her love for partying. She knows drug use interferes with her work, and she knows she needs to get back to work and really put her nose to the grindstone again to get her life and porn star career back on track before it totally collapses.
Speaker 6: What do you think will happen next time?
Speaker 5: On General World Episode seven, Cybersex The Adult Business US Moves to the Internet. Jenna World is an iHeartRadio production executive produced by Anna Hosnier and Becca Ramos, supervising, produced by Bei Wang, produced by Victor Wright, script editing by Jonathan Mills, engineered by Graham Gibson, and edited by Rory Gagan. Today's episode of Jenna World featured James Austin Johnson as Howard Stern, John Levenstein as Al Goldstein, Elizabeth Larsen as Joy King, Sarah Hogey as Jocelyn Elders, Eloy Lugo as Baba Booie, Joel Monique as Robin Quivers, Lillie Simonson as Chasey Lane Jean as Corina, Julie Klausner as Honeysuckle Divine, Albertina Rizzo as Betty, Thomas Carvel Wallace as Prince, Cameron Farmer as te t Boy, Paul Sheer as Larry ms Slowly, Alex Gouter as Steve Ornstein, Sam Taggart as Lee Garland, Carry O'Neill as Nikky, Tyler Stavros Halkias as Brad Armstrong, and Lauren ser Video as Jenna Jamison.
Speaker 9: Oh my God, honey,