Speaker 1: At least is the Drive with Dale Lolly and Matt Williamson on your twenty four to seven home of the Black and Gold in Steelers Nation Radio.
Speaker 2: And welcome to the Drive. I am Dale Lolly, he is Ze Matt Williamson, and it is a Friday here in Pittsburgh and there's no game this weekend because Steelers played three games eleven days or ten days or whatever. Somebody point it's ten days. I don't care. It's three games in less than two weeks. Yeah, that's what the reality is here. So Matt, I thought today we go through there are some questions on our YouTube. Okay, you know here Soccer we answer some of these questions on here. I also want to comment on some of the comments that were made on here.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right.
Speaker 2: Now Steelers Nation Australia, which we appreciate, so fellaws, you need to read the positive comments. Also, I do we do read the I do I read. Matt doesn't read it at all.
Speaker 4: So I've been there, but infrequent, say the least. And hey, you guys are all wonderful. I'm looking right in the camera actually, but ten years of writing for ESPN dot com, I stay away from the comments more often than not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I go in les.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I go in and interact because that's just what I do. And sometimes we'll get into it. So, yes, we read the negati or the positive comments, read the negative comments.
Speaker 3: I will rest you swell.
Speaker 2: I will many times reply to the negative comments more because oftentimes, well, A, they're attacking me, and B I'm not going to let somebody put out something their truth when it's not reality. For example, today somebody said in a comment to me, let's not why is it.
Speaker 3: The question?
Speaker 2: Original question? Why does it feel like Andy Reid is playing chess and the Steelers are playing rock paper scissors, to which I replied, Andy Reid wasn't playing as much chess when he didn't have Patrick Mahomes, true, to which somebody then replied, Dale, do not do this. Andy ree was a winning was winning playoff games and playing in championships games before Mahomes, which is not true. He made conference championships in the NFC in his early.
Speaker 3: Day with the Eagles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he then went ten years ten years, his last few seasons with the Eagles and his first six or seven seasons with Kansas City, a ten year period in which he went to and four in the playoffs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I always thought he was during that stretch pre Mahomes, he was at the Harbaugh Tomlin Peyton level in that neighborhood. Now he's up to the Belichick world. You know what's changed since maybe the best quarterback ever and Belichick might have had the other one, which doesn't hurt either.
Speaker 2: That makes it look better. I have all the respect in the I think I have all the respect in world. Friend, you Reid. I think they're both excellent football coaches. But you look a hell of a lot smarter when you got the best quarterback in the league.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean so to Reid's credit, if you look at his history, he took a lot of ty Detmer Kevin Cobb teams to the playoffs and was often criticized, you know.
Speaker 2: Winning any games. Else was taking teams with like Mason or you know, Kenny Picking.
Speaker 4: He got crushed for time management. You know, you always got your nose in your play sheet. You're not dealing with all the head coaching stuff. And then he got McNabb and it got better. They went to Super Bowl, they took away when a step further, I mean it was a Pro Bowl quarterback, very very good player. I mean, yeah, absolutely, They used like the fourth pick in the draft form or whatever. And then he left Philly, which isn't talked about enough, but I think needs to be there. In camp of the season, he left. His son, who worked for the team, passed away. Yeah, I mean during training camp. I don't know how he even coached the rest of the year, you know what I mean. And then he's like, I'm just kidding it. It wasn't like you're fired, you stink. It's like I'm getting out. They didn't have a great year. Yeah, I mean, of course. So he goes to Kansas City and it's successful. I mean, I think he had been successful in Chicago or Seattle or wherever. He's a successful head coach, but kept hitting his head on the ceiling. And people forget this little nugget. They were a playoff team the year they traded up for Mahomes. It wasn't like we're terrible. Alex Smith was good. He was a kind of a Pro Bowl type dude too, borderline. He wasn't a great player.
Speaker 2: First over overall pick in a draft, yes.
Speaker 3: Right, and he was put up. He had his best stint with Reid.
Speaker 2: Oh, by the way, the Steelers beat them in the playoffs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, right, with Reid as the head coach, and then he gets a transcendent player, you know, and the rest is history and there on their way to be in one of the better dynasties of all time.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Who.
Speaker 2: By the way, the Steelers also loved the Homes Yeah, Kevin Colbert was a big Patrick Mahomes guy. They brought him in for a pre draft visit because if you remember, he wasn't even the first quarterback. We're the second quarterback taken in that draft.
Speaker 4: Right, I mean, the Bears traded from two to three to two from what I remember, to get Trubisky. Watson went well ahead of them, and then they traded up to twelve or eleven.
Speaker 3: I think it was eleven to get Mahomes. Yeah, all right, so now they're quite good.
Speaker 2: And again, I have all the respect in the world for Andy Reid, but he looks a hell of a lot smarter with that guy running his offense.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, and and they Tana and Walsh to their to their credit, they didn't rush to play him because they didn't have to.
Speaker 2: They still had it right Smith.
Speaker 4: They had a nice plan. Yeah, because Smith was a high end player who went on and started elsewhere. Then he had bad injuries, and then Mahomes is too good to keep off the field. But they had no plans on playing him his rookie year. Yeah, because he was a wild sallion come out of Texas tack Uh.
Speaker 2: This is another one that I got Dale's cold take of the week telling us how bad the Chiefs tackle are. But tj and indeed don't get Mahomes. Don't get the Mahomes once. Now. I don't want to rewrite history here again. But Matt had the same exact take.
Speaker 3: We both thought their tackles.
Speaker 2: Think, guess what the Chiefs know their tackles aren't very good. Right, Hence Mahomes gets the ball out in two point three four seconds yep, fastest of his career, of his career, right, So I think that needs to be unpacked more because I thought it was brilliant.
Speaker 4: But it was like Greg inventions. It's derived because of you know, meat taste terrible. We gonna vent catch up, you know whatever it is, you know, Yeah, I mean like it's because this isn't working. His mind is so sharp as a quarterback, he's to the point now I always talk about the axis, you know, like the game has slowed down to he's at his peak, meant to lead it. But he hasn't declined at all physically right, which makes me wonder if he's even his peak as a player period.
Speaker 3: But anyway, he has it.
Speaker 4: All, and I felt like we should have been on this more. Actually is okay. Their tackles stink. What are they gonna do? They're gonna get it out quick? Well, what do you do to combat that? It'd be nice if you could play man coverage and bang people with the line of scrimmage, but you're only good man coverage corners injured.
Speaker 3: So all of a sudden, it's like you're hoping.
Speaker 4: Mahomes screws up and he didn't, you know, enough, not enough right, So if he gets it out what two point three six which is insanely quick, As.
Speaker 2: I said, you saying Bolt's not getting there two point three four seconds.
Speaker 4: That means there's a lot of snaps that are to two point one because you know he extended.
Speaker 3: They schemed three up.
Speaker 2: And oh, by the way, when they did scheme it up, that's when Juwan Taylor had two holding penalties like yeah.
Speaker 4: And he's gonna extend stuff and he's gonna run around. Now, I think on those plays, if you go two four or less, it's almost impossible to.
Speaker 3: Get through the pressures. Right, you're not getting right, I mean, because someone's going to get in your way.
Speaker 4: But there were probably I'm guessing six to eight pass dropbacks that were two seven or longer. Okay, you could get better pressure, like I'm sure the Steelers aren't thrilled with the pressure they got. No, but he also maneuvers extremely well in the extremely well in the pocket. They kept talking about the b gaps. He kept hitting this, there's a be gap would open up. Boom, he's gone, you know. I mean, he's one of the most difficult guys to sack in the league. Yeah, and if they're gonna do that, he's gonna be almost ball.
Speaker 2: You're not gonna get him right at all. Right, it's just not gonna happen. You know. The week before that against Houston, which also has good head rushers, I think he was sacked once in that game and he'd gotten rid of the ball. I think the average time to throw was like two point five four seconds. Really, it was a little bit I know, it was very low. It was a little slower than that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I then got to ask, well, if that's the case, why didn't the Steelers do that. Well, they thought their guys were going.
Speaker 4: To hold up hm And Wilson's a deep ball thrower. He's never a low target time to throw guy. He's gotten them. It's lower here than any point in his career, and he's had some games that are low.
Speaker 2: You know it was it was two point seven seconds, right.
Speaker 3: Near the top of the league the worst. That's highest.
Speaker 2: In fact, if you looked at and I looked this up on the day of the after the game, the time to pass for the three quarterbacks that played on on Christmas Day, let me find this here? Whoops, the four quarterbacks, the four quarterbacks who played that day, it was let me find it. This is good radio, Okay. So Stroud was at three point one seconds on Christmas Day on Christmas the four teams that played day, not season to day. No, Stroud was at three point one seconds. Lamar Ja action was at three point sixty seven.
Speaker 3: Sometimes he's incredibly high. Yes, I mean he'll run around there. His players.
Speaker 2: You watched them play last night where Caleb Williams late in the game, scrambled around and finally hit the pass on was a fourth down pass, fourth and ten. Yeah to DJ Moore, it's like six seconds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, so that's skew things quite a bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, right, but I think so Russe officially he was at two point eight five seconds of that game. Actually for the Sill that's that's under three.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like if you're under three, if you're under two point nine, you're about average.
Speaker 4: And it's not even like it's a good and bad thing, you know, Like I love Ben Roethlisberger as much as the next guy, but back in his heyday, nobody was timing time to throw, right. I bet he was late. I mean I bet he was long. Yeah, I mean, no doubt about it. At the end he was insanely quick.
Speaker 3: But it wasn't good.
Speaker 2: It wasn't there, and everybody complained about it.
Speaker 3: It wasn't a good thing.
Speaker 2: Everybody complained about it. So that's what you want to see, that's what you want. You want the Steelers.
Speaker 4: Dumpt a Nagie dumpt Anagi slanted deontay deontay. I mean that that's all they did, you know, because they don't have their receivers to do that.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, right, their receivers.
Speaker 2: Are built for this offense, and they don't have an immediate man beater on this roster. I think it was supposed to be Roman Wilson. Yeah, yeah, yeah, he's not available. Calvin Austin's not that kind of player. No, No, I mean Pickens can do it. Pickens can do it, but he gets all the attention, and so.
Speaker 4: I mean it's not necessarily a good or bad thing in terms of time to throw.
Speaker 3: It's just a stylistic thing.
Speaker 2: It's a stylistic thing.
Speaker 3: And Lamar is always gonna be high, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean they got a guy in Xavier Worthy that if you put the ball, and they finally kind of figured out, I think the last couple of weeks how to properly use Xavier.
Speaker 3: Worthy, no question.
Speaker 4: And one thing we said leading in that definitely held up was their receiving corps is kind of at its peak right now. I mean, they were really struggling to find these things out, especially after Racie Rice got hurt because he was there middle of the field kind of Kelsey replay placeman in a way, and that was a crippling blow and they lost that. Now Brown's back and has his feet under him worthy starting to figure it out, and they're starting to figure him out.
Speaker 2: And he's fast, and he's fast, I mean, but you can get the ball in his hands and he might not run somebody.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but his stuff is peeped lately. And the other guys are fine, you know, to get Hopkins and settled in all those guys. But I also think you got the Chiefs on their best day. I mean, they played really, really well.
Speaker 2: Another comment that I got no way, And again I wasn't comparing when I brought up the five teams recently at six, going back to the two thousand and five team that had had a three game losing streak at some point in their season, including the Ravens in twenty twelve, which to me is they lost four of their last five three game losing streak, won one, and then lost their last game going into the playoffs, and then got hot and won the Super Bowl. Wasn't saying that's what's going to happen with his Steelers.
Speaker 3: No, No.
Speaker 2: I brought that up to show that even when things look bad, it doesn't mean that you can't regain some momentum going and happened.
Speaker 3: Yeah, doesn't mean it will.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying at all.
Speaker 4: So somebody said, I mean, by that standard, it'd be like, well, I hope next year they go in a three game losing streak.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's not what I was saying. All right, right, k love five seven, six, five s. There's no way you can compare this to the five team. Ben didn't play those three games, lost two. The defense was better, three, the offense was better. Okay, Ben played in that three game stretch. They lost to the Ravens sixteen to thirteen down in Baltimore. Tommy Maddox started that game. They then Ben came back and they went to Indianapolis and lost twenty six to seven. With the great defense. It got torched in that game.
Speaker 3: I remember Manning ripped them up. Yeah.
Speaker 2: They then came home and lost thirty eight to thirty one to the Bengals with that great defense that you're talking about. Ben started that game too. Ben started two of those three games, and the great defense in the two of those losses gave twenty six and thirty eight. Now, I'm not saying that the Steelers two thousand and five. Defense wasn't great, sure, but great defenses sometimes have bad games.
Speaker 3: One.
Speaker 4: And I don't think you said this team's better than the two thousand nothing of the sort, right right, right, nothing. I like the two thousand and five teams chances of winning the Super Bowl better in this one.
Speaker 2: That team was coming off a fifteen in one year. Yeah, they had a lot of talent. But I was also there covering that team in two thousand and five, and I know the things that were being said five when they failed to seven and five and were out of the playoffs. Yeah, yeah, it was not pretty.
Speaker 3: I'm sure the sky was falling. Fire everybody, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Again, if you turn it tuning into this show to hear us say fire everybody, you're listening to the wrong damn show. That's all I'm gonna say. Because we're not going to look at things that way because it's not going to happen. You gotta look at things a little more realistically. And what's going to happen here? And there's still season left. They're still gonna play a game next weekend. At some point, they're gonna play two, right, right, But they're gonna line up next weekend for a regular season football game, and it's the job of not just the coaches on this team, but the players to figure this stuff out so they can win that football game.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, it's funny.
Speaker 4: I do a one weekly hit on the Lockdown NFL channel, the National Show, and the host asked me, because it's he knows I'm Steeler oriented, but if I wasn't, we were gonna go down this road.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: He's like, what on earth are people complaining about Tom and for this guy covers the Jags. He's like, I would kill for that guy, you know, I mean, over and over and over. And he's like, Okay, I've been watching the Steeler team closely. They've been on National TV. I've watched almost every snap over the three game stretch. And he's a good now analyst and and he basically said, okay, so they're not quite as good as the best teams in the league, but most teams would be zero to.
Speaker 3: Three in the stretch. Why is this late breaking news? I hear you.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'll I don't think they're as good as the Ravens, Eagles and Chiefs on their best days, you know, and I think most of the league would probably be zero and three during that stretch, you know, in those buildings in that amount of time. Okay, I mean that doesn't mean you stink. I mean it means that right now, you're not an elite team. And I don't think that that's arguable right now.
Speaker 2: Well, that was one of the other comments that I wanted to touch on, is that the the Ravens and Chiefs had the same exact schedule as the Steelers, and yet they came through that three and zero. Well, they didn't have the same exact schedule, no, no, no, right, they didn't open with Philadelphia on the road, then go to Baltimore and then come home to play the defending two time world champions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Giants were a nice stretch.
Speaker 2: The Giants were a nice start to that. The Browns, for the on the Kansas City side of that, we're a nice start to that stretch, right.
Speaker 4: Right right, Yeah, starting with the Eagles is awful hando. By the way, in that Eagles game, you were on the field for like forty some minutes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was an awful.
Speaker 2: Way to start that stretch.
Speaker 4: That's the hardest opening round. It's like fighting Tyson.
Speaker 3: In his prime.
Speaker 2: Houston got Miami at home. You know, they weren't the same level of competition, so it wasn't the same exact no situation.
Speaker 4: And the workload asked of that defense in that Eagles game was as extreme as you'll ever see. You know, I also think there's some good and bad to this. That Houston and Baltimore getting the Week fourteen by is really helpful before three, before eleven, yeah, you know, no doubt about it. And frankly, I think the NFL screwed up and should have given all four that should have the last by Now, the first thirteen weeks aren't easy. If you do that, it's sure nice to have a you know, in week seven. No one's complained about a bye or week ten or whatever.
Speaker 2: But you did have some mini buys in there that were alleviated some of those issues.
Speaker 4: Well, and not to mention the Ravens rest stuff is bonkers this year in their favor, which needs to be examined to Yeah, but you.
Speaker 2: Know now that situation won't have the Ravens.
Speaker 3: The Chiefs are playing great, yeah yea yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Good for them. They've the deal with Netflix is for three seasons, okay, so they're going to play these these Christmas Day games like that only Christmas Day the next two seasons as well. The difference is that year it's going to be on a Thursday. In twenty twenty six, it's going to be on a Friday, So you're not going to have a situation where you need to have these teams play three games in eleven days.
Speaker 4: It's the worst day of the week for Christmas to land Wednesday, right, Well, you know if it had been on Tuesday, what were they going to do?
Speaker 2: Yeahs a bunch of the Monday night games back. I don't know Tuesday right right right, because it just doesn't happen. You just don't play games on that day. But isn't good, bad or anything, but it is ugly.
Speaker 3: I mean it win a lot, yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, you know, and you know you're missing guys, You're it is what it is. Again, I'm not making excuses. I'm giving you reasons why these things happened. And oh, by the way, they played three very good football teams.
Speaker 3: That's to me is the bottom line. Those three teams are really really good and I think.
Speaker 4: Are probably playing the best they have all year. I mean, I think Kansas City's really figuring things out. I think the buy and the defensive changes. Baltimore is really paid dividends. Eagle's been pretty strong for a while, but you didn't get the pick at Eagles, you know, right, I mean, the Eagles are strong.
Speaker 2: You know that's of course, people on here call me a homer. I'm such a homer that the first two games of that stretch I picked them to lose. But yeah, okay, I get it. I'm a homer. Whatever, call me whatever you want. You know, that's the thing. And again, I appreciate the good comments on here, the people who listen to the show. And hey, the people who are ripping me or ripping mad or ripping the show. Guess what, you're listening as well, and we appreciate that. And hopefully we're making this entertaining enough and we're getting in depth enough that you want to continue to listen, leave your leave your comments and all that stuff. That's fine.
Speaker 4: I mean, personally, my goal not to entertain. It's the inform. Inform that's what we're put some different spins on.
Speaker 2: We're not going to sing songs, we're not going to you know, jump around, and you.
Speaker 4: Know, compare to the other thirty one teams and what they're going through, and I think that's what we bring.
Speaker 3: To the table.
Speaker 2: That's what we try to do here. Just bring you information and you can make your own decisions about what you believe in what you don't believe And if you don't want to listen to to what what we feel about this, and you know that's that's your prerogative. Well that's the great thing about America. Well, and I love fandom.
Speaker 4: I mean, I love fandom, and I understand a lot of you guys listening aren't happy with how things have gone in the last three days.
Speaker 3: People don't. Facility aren't either.
Speaker 2: They're even less.
Speaker 4: I haven't been there since, but I'm not psyched to go.
Speaker 2: To be honest, they're even less happy about this than you are, because this is what they do.
Speaker 3: They're not singing jingle bells down there is.
Speaker 2: They can't turn the TV off and get away from this, right, they're living this.
Speaker 3: They have to figure out how to get it right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So anyways, I'm down off my soapbox.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 2: But we did answer some questions on here that yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: I'm five with that too.
Speaker 4: If you guys ever just want to ask questions in general, like a mailbag type of thing.
Speaker 3: Throw it out. Oh.
Speaker 2: One last question I did want to get to here is I was asked if any chance that Troy Filotano is activated in January. I don't see that happening. He's at the facility, he's been working out, but he's not practiced at all him.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's obviously making progress.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, he's walking around. There's no the same thing with Cameron Johnston. Cameron Johnson's now out of the apparatus, the apparatus that he had on his knee. As said, you know, Fileatana, they're both you know, probably I don't know, well, probably not with Johnston. But you know, if Filotano had to come back and play, could he perhaps, But would it be fair to him to say, Okay, you haven't played football since September as a rookie and we're going to bring it back out and threw you right into the lineup. Probably not.
Speaker 4: I mean, I hope he gets to this point. But it's not Mike Webster's eighth year in the league, you know, or Joe Green's coming back and I'm putting them in the line up no matter what.
Speaker 3: You know, I mean, right, I mean.
Speaker 4: It's just you don't know. Yeah, I mean, how could you possibly bench any tackle?
Speaker 3: Really? I mean, like where would you put him? I don't even know at the moment. You know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe he's better than both those guys. I hope he is, but.
Speaker 2: You've only had one game to show it, right, And that's the unfair part of it. But anyways, let's get through a break. He is Matt Williamson. I am Dale Lollie. You're listening to the Drive here on the Steelers Audio Network. When we return, we'll be joined by Steelers Sideline reporter Missy Matthews right after this.
Speaker 1: He's the Drive with Dale Lolly and Matt williamsonsha on your twenty four to seven home of the Black and Gold Steelers Nation Radio.
Speaker 2: And we are back. I'm Dale Lolli. He is the Matt Williamson and this is the Drive on the Steelers Audio Network. And we're joined now on the Justin Miller hot Line. Bye, Steelers Sideline reporter Missy Matthews. Missy is also the bringer of the Cake. Missy brought class cake to Actually I believe that Rob but King tweeted out a photo of said cake before it was demolished in the in the radio booth, they got the nice little Santa Claus cake. It didn't look like Santa Claus by the time I got to it.
Speaker 4: But you say demolished, you mean eating like crazy? Yeah, okay, yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: I had no idea, Missy. I had no idea that thing was a Santa Claus cake when I got there, because it was just a pile of cake at that point. I saw the picture from Rob and like, oh, it was Santa Claus. But it was delicious, Yeah it was.
Speaker 5: It was a Steeler Santa. He even had EyeBlack on. But he did not last very long, and it was weird as people started eating you know, eyes and parts of his mouth and whatnot.
Speaker 2: He probably lasted longer than the Steelers did in that game.
Speaker 5: That was no doubt. There was still part, like maybe a slice or two depending on you know, who is cutting it left after the game, which I was actually impressed that that was left. I thought it would have been completely gone.
Speaker 2: It was sitting there in front of west Euler the entire game, so I'm sure he was nibbling as the game went on.
Speaker 5: They definitely some at half time.
Speaker 4: I know that it Yeah, well that was very kind of you spreading.
Speaker 2: Missy.
Speaker 5: I cried.
Speaker 2: We saw at the game on Wednesday, sounds strange to say it does. Once again, a lot of defensive miscommunications and you saw some frustrations boil over into the locker room after the game with guys talking about that. And I know fans look at this and go, how is this happening in week sixteen and seventeen, And Deshaun Elliott said the same thing. This is a week one and two problem, not a week not you know, not something that should be happening at this time.
Speaker 3: Of the season.
Speaker 2: H Take take us through what you see on the sideline, like a general, the defense comes off the field, whether they give up a touchdown, whether they had a good stop. What what then happens?
Speaker 3: How?
Speaker 2: How does a breakdown happen? Which which group goes where?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 2: You know, do they you know, just Taro Austin come over and talk to the group? Does it just a position coaches? How does that all work?
Speaker 5: Well? They all offense and defense have very specific places where they sit when they come off the bench. You know, It's always funny when like Chris Boswell and them are sitting at the end that's usually where like the dbs are. They're allowed down there, but you're not going to find like a Cam Heyward over there sitting on that part of the bench. It's very regimented, and it usually is the position coaches talking to them first, but TA typically always ends up talking to the secondary guys. I feel like they're furthest on the bench, they're closest to probably you know where he's coming from. Has a conversation with them. But then it is, you know, there there was a time where Pa brought the whole defense together at one point, like Tomlin has done it multiple times during this three game stretch, trying to regroup, refocus and figure it out because as you said, I thought, you know, Deshaun Elliott was very blunt. He was very emotional and heated, and I get it. It was right after the game and that was not a fun locker room to be in. Many guys didn't even want to talk. But he's right, like, these are not problems that should be happening now. It would be one thing if it was you know, weeks one through four and you're like, all right, they really need there's new pieces they need to work through it. It does just feel like because it has gotten worse with each of the three losses, and just the open guys. You just think of Travis Kelsey's touchdown, even the tight ends in Baltimore where you're like how and why? You know you can say injuries. Max starkstucked a lot about just the fatigue and the battle that these guys have to go through to play those three games in eleven days, being that you were playing Philly, Baltimore and the rating Super Bowl champs. You know, it wasn't like you were taking a train to or to play the Giants after your bye week and getting to stay home and host a team and then going to play a team that's you know, in the playoffs but not doing very well. Yeah it's their own shade, but yeah.
Speaker 3: We did last a little bit too.
Speaker 5: But it's true. I mean, when you just look that stretch was brutal. It didn't matter if this was weeks three, four, and five. Playing those three teams in eleven days is not ideal, and I think especially because they were dealing with the injuries on the defense, especially because you did not have George Pickens and everyone, you know, the Browns game when he didn't play. Oh they're good. Look we don't even need George Pickens. They won, they won without them. And then you go play a real team and you're like, oh, oh yeah, we we kind of like when four teams in the lineup, you know, and then it was how how soon can we get them back? Take deal? So yeah, I think the only bright spot is that they have ample and that time to regroup. There's still one regular season game left, work out your kinks, figure it out, because you're only guaranteed one playoff game, and we all know that that is being one and done is not going to go over well in this town, in this organization. For these players are coaches, so they need to figure it out and figure it out very quickly.
Speaker 3: So you sort of touched on it.
Speaker 4: But over this three game losing streak, I mean, has the level of angst on the sidelines increased? I mean, was this definitely the one that was most noticeable and or that of all three been similar.
Speaker 5: I feel like Philly was kind of like you were hoping it was, you know, just like going to be a one off, and it felt like they were not. I don't want to say finger pointing, but I really feel like that is what it kind of turned into where Baltimore you could really see that people were starting to lose it and didn't feel like everybody was doing their job and didn't feel like, you know, everybody was on the same page. And then, of course, I think, you know, Christmas Day, you're excited, you want to go back home and be with your family, celebrate, and you knew you needed to win that game to make it easier on yourself to win the AFC North, and that just seemed to be I think. I think the lack of complimentary football and just the fact that the offense and defense both need fixed. I think that's where you really start to see the overpouring of the emotions and frustrations, which makes sense. You know. Coach Sutlon sat down at his press conference and little literally started it with, well, that sucked. And I'm sure he could have used other choice words, probably just you know, wouldn't have been used on air afterwards, but that that pretty much summed it up.
Speaker 2: I'm sure he did use more choice words with the team in the locker room before he came over, and that was the work. You know, he had actually had some a little bit of time to calm down and was still perturbed by how things had gone in that game. And I think largely, Missy, to me it was because of how this particular game unfolded. In those previous two games, the Steelers had gotten behind but then had fought back in the third quarter going into the fourth quarter to make a game of things this one against You know, the only thing that would have changed perhaps the outcome or kind of the trajectory of this game is if George Pickens hadn't been whistled dead early at the end of the first half on that play where he broke free and ran down the sidelines and they hadn't whistled the play dead. If they score there, it makes it fourteen thirteen Steelers at the half, and you know, this kind of changes the trajectory of the ball game. As it was. They got the sixteen to ten in the third quarter and then Kansas City just pulled away.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I think, you know, even go back to the Jalen Warren touchdown that was called back to the holding call on Darnell. If, like you said, even if one of those went the Steeler's way, imagine if both went the Steelers way. I just think they knew coming in that Patrick Mahomes is Patrick Mahomes, does not matter if it's a high ankle sprain, how severe whatever, He's dealt with them before, he knows what he's doing. But just how quickly he was able to get the ball out. He was not going to give their pass rush time to get to them and to throw them off, and they just they executed. And like you said, once the second quarter or the second half, excuse me, got going, that's where you kind of just you felt the letdown really start to happen. And then you're like, oh crap, now this is this is three in a row. This isn't just this game, it's it's three in a row. We were ten and three and now here we sit at ten and six.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was a very buttoned up, clean performance by the Chiefs when they didn't screw things up hardly at all. And I thought Mahomes probably played his best game of the year. Regardless of who the defense is. I mean a lot of it's just how well of what level he plays at was it pretty impressive just to watch him in action at game level, you know, to be where your seat is and watch an all time great player.
Speaker 5: No doubt, And you know I've gotten to see him a few times over the years in different circumstances of you know, games and whatnot. But like you said, I just think it was the level of execution. Just it's really remarkable to watch how quickly he gets the ball out, goes exactly where it's going, just even how his receiving core and running backs know what is happening and it's happening that quickly, and they're just able to get the chunks and keep moving and to just gash the Steelers defense.
Speaker 3: But it's that.
Speaker 4: Precise, but it's almost indefensible. But it's that precise timing, right, correct.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like that slants Hollywood Brown. I was just like, whoa, you know, you just have one of those like, Wow, they're wheeling and dealing, and hey, I give them credit. They had to come to Pittsburgh on a short week. That's not fun. We've all lived through the Thursday night games. I know this was Wednesday, but playing on Saturday makes it like a Thursday schedule. And then also the fact that they're playing for the one seat.
Speaker 3: Now they know.
Speaker 5: The playoffs can run through Arrowhead and they have a first round by and for everybody who's hurt, they're able to heal up. I mean, imagine if Chris Jones played that game. You just think about the five stacks that Russell Wilson took that, you know, I mean everyone on the offense gave up, and you just think, like, man, it could have been worse potentially, which is a scary thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, But Missy won't take up any more of your time. On day off, you get to spend some time with you boys and do all that fun stuff. Kind of wallowing a pit losh yesterday.
Speaker 3: Wow, I took kick it at all.
Speaker 2: It took seven days long to complete, seemingly, but you know, it is what it is. Just not a good couple of days here in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 3: Was there a bunch of safeties at the end of the game or something weird?
Speaker 2: You go for two every time?
Speaker 5: Okay, you go when you go for two? Yeah, yeah, I say. It took years off my life. It literally took hours off my life. I was not as productive as I anticipated being when my boys went to hockey practice last night because the game was still on when they got help.
Speaker 2: That there you go. Our guest has been Missy. Matthew Steelers sideline reporter Missy. We appreciate you dropping by. Of course Missy does so every Friday. Here on the drive, he is Matt Williamson. I'm Dale Lollie. We'll be back with more right after this.
Speaker 1: This he's the Drive with Dale Lolly and Matt Williamson on your twenty four to seven home of the Black and Gold Steelers Nation Radio.
Speaker 2: And we are back. I'm Dale Lolly. He is the Matt Williamson and this is the Drive on the Steelers Audio Network. And of course you can hear the Drive every Monday through Friday from four to six pm on these very airwaves where you can download the Steelers mobile app and get it that way, or watch on YouTube and pavis your comments and maybe sometimes we'll answer your questions in the comments.
Speaker 3: Matt.
Speaker 2: For this next segment, I wanted to look at the preseason over under totals. Okay, see who's gotten there and who hasn't to this with one game or two games left, so leading things off their I'm looking here at Pro Football Reference. They break everything that they did this nicely. They have the win loss over under in one column and then their actual record. Now I don't have to go back and forth.
Speaker 3: That's perfect.
Speaker 2: So the Arizona Cardinals, they're over under to start the season was seven.
Speaker 4: I remember that thinking that was quite high considering their defense.
Speaker 2: Now they're seven and eight.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they they all kicked them on the eye coverage with them over with two games left, they pretty quick. They could get there. They could get over they could get over right. I don't love their chances, but could.
Speaker 2: The Atlanta Falcons over under was nine and a half. They're eight and seven.
Speaker 4: A lot of that was based on a super easy schedule preseason, you know, and that doesn't always play out, but I like their chances.
Speaker 2: The Baltimore Ravens over under was ten and five. They're now eleven and five with one game remaining, so they've hit their over it. Yeah yeah. Buffalo Bills over under was ten and they croshed it twelve and three right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: A lot of people, myself included, thought this would be a slight step back year.
Speaker 3: You traded digs, you know, get your books in order. But they've been really good.
Speaker 2: The Carolina Panthers over under five and a half. They're four and eleven right now. They had three or four they got a shot to get there.
Speaker 3: They do.
Speaker 2: Now they need to win their final two games to do so. But they've been very competitive over the last year. I know they have five or six weeks, they have Tampa.
Speaker 4: Bay Tampa and then they have another it's either Saints or Falcons have a division game of course to finish it. Maybe maybe maybe, I mean, considering how bad things were at early deseason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Chicago Bears, they're definitely under. They're over. Under was eight and a half. They're four and twelve.
Speaker 3: Yeah, last night didn't do me.
Speaker 2: Last night was a disaster. Actually, they're four and thirteen.
Speaker 3: After No. Four and twelve, there are four and twelve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that includes them.
Speaker 3: Last night's disaster really bad.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't see a how not the handle clock management at the end of the half. That's twice now this year. It cost you the last it costs Naggy as jaw or not Naggy flu Eberflus job when he butchered that one against the Lions, Well they butchered again us or horrendous horrendous Eberflus doesn't have any excuse. This guy was a position goes five or six weeks ago. I mean he got promoted and promoted in promoted twice A yeah, but that was insane. So they're four and twelve. They're well under.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The Cincinnati Bengals, well under ten and a half was the over under. They're seven and eight.
Speaker 3: Not getting there.
Speaker 2: No, the Cleveland Browns, well, they were over under was eight and a half, higher than the Steelers, I might add, they're three and twelve.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not even close.
Speaker 2: The Dallas Cowboys under but sort of explainable. They're over under was ten. They're seven and eight.
Speaker 4: And maybe they'll win another or whatever. They're obviously they're not going to.
Speaker 2: Be awfully difficult now that cd.
Speaker 4: Lamb GOTA shut down and right they're in Philly this week or against Philly this week.
Speaker 2: The Denver Broncos over under was five and a half. I know they're nine and six. He knows how to he knows how to win games. I mean, he has a winning record as a Denver head coach. And they're not loaded with talent. You know, they've had quarterback changes and give them credit. The Detroit Lions beat the Bengals, by the way, I think they are too and we'll get to that later in the show. The Detroit Lions over under was ten and a half. They're thirteen and two. They crushing it, Yeah, crushing it. Green Bay Packers over under was ten. They're eleven and four. Blue right by it, and they got two tough games coming up.
Speaker 4: But okay, there's a lot of over so far, but we're only at the gs. I think some of it's there's so many three win teams that are so far under, and.
Speaker 2: Some of the unders are the unders are real. The Browns und the Bears, Bears were way under their total. The Houston Texans over runner nine and a half. They're nine and seven.
Speaker 3: Not positive they'll get there.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: They got one more.
Speaker 2: Right they made They have nothing to play for it last year?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I say, why would they even bother?
Speaker 2: Indianapolis Colts over under eight and a half. They're seven and eight, okay, and in their favorite against the Giants, and then I should favor in their last two games. Yeah, I know they played a division game play either the Titans or the Jaguars, one of the two.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure if Richardson's even playing this week, but they'll still beat the Giants.
Speaker 2: Jacksonville's over under eight and a half.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they were considered a playoff fringe type.
Speaker 2: Three and twelve.
Speaker 3: Yeah, three and twelve, brutal.
Speaker 2: Kansas City's over under eleven and a half. They're fifteen and one. The Raiders over under six and a half.
Speaker 3: There's three and twelve, not getting there.
Speaker 2: The Chargers over under was nine. They're nine and six.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was big on the over on or the under on that team.
Speaker 2: The Rams over under eight and a half nine and six, say they're over right, Yeah. The Dolphins over under was ten seven and eight.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Minnesota's over under six and a half by more than that, thirteen and two, the only one in the city's pretty high. Kansas City's only three and a half games over, they're over under them. Minnesota's five. Yeah, six and a half over.
Speaker 3: They could lose either two or they could win either too.
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter that they're six and a half over their win total. The Patriots over under was four and a half. They're three and twelve.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right now, they had the second pick in the draft.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The Saints over under was seven and a half, not getting they're five and ten. The Giants over under was six and a half. Two and thirteen.
Speaker 3: Brutal. Yeah, some of these bad teams are far off.
Speaker 2: The Jets over under nine and a half. They're four and eleven. Right, The Eagles over under was ten and a half, they're twelve and three.
Speaker 3: Beat it.
Speaker 2: The Steelers over under eight ten and six.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: San Francisco's over under eleven and a half. They're six and nine. One of the more disappointing ones for sure. Seattle's over under was seven and a half. They're nine and seven.
Speaker 4: Really successful year for them. I mean last night wasn't a pillar, it wasn't a Beau duty. But now you got the win, you know, so alive.
Speaker 2: Tampa Bay's over under was seven and a half. Over they're eight and seven. Tennessee's over under six and a half they're three and twelve.
Speaker 3: Not getting there.
Speaker 2: And the Commander's over under, oh they had to be a big one was six and a half. They're get ten and five.
Speaker 4: I was guessing they were even lower than that preseason. They end up being gonna be somewhere between a ten and twelve win.
Speaker 2: Team given everything. So you got one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight eight teams this year with four or fewer wins. Yeah, Yeah, there wasn't an over under in the league this year.
Speaker 3: I think four is a very four and a half.
Speaker 2: Was the was the Patriots was the lowest. Yeah, and we're gonna have eight teams go under the under.
Speaker 4: I mean when you see ten or five, right, I mean there's a little bit of the play but they'll be six.
Speaker 2: Do we see that get adjusted next year?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean it was a really bad year for the number of bad teams, you know. I mean even like Browns and Jags, they were considered playoff fringe teams, you know, expectations wise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, let's just look through that. Who are the biggest disappointments this year? I think San Francisco, the AFC's loaded with them. Yeah, I mean, Jets, Cincinnati.
Speaker 4: Right, Yags, Miami. They all looked like, ooh, can the Steelers beat them out for a wild card? You know, like that was the narrative going into uh and Denver stepped up. But those other teams, there were five of them that were good expectations did nothing.
Speaker 2: No, No, you're right. I mean if you looked at it at the beginning of the season, and we talked about this preseason, the Steelers, when the Steelers over under opened it was seven and a half and it went up to eight because everybody look thinking, you know, I'm surprised you didn't go to eight and a half. Maybe it did in some places, because usually don't get eight.
Speaker 3: It's almost always a half.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you always get the half out there. And I don't know how Pro Football Reference does this to the average amount. I'm sure one book eight and a half or or seven and a half, the other ones at eight and so they just took the average. But when you look at it in that fashion, the Steelers have won two more games than they were expected to win. According to Las Vegas, they're ten and six. There are some other teams on here, Minnesota being chief among them, that have outkicked theeah But you can't look at this season and say, well this season, what disappointment? No, no, you know, now, I get it. You can be disappointed by what's happened of late, yes, but nobody in their right minds you and I both picked them to lose in Philadelphia and in Baltimore.
Speaker 4: I can't remember if I picked them to make the playoffs or not. If I did, it was as a wild card. Yeah, it's like the rush or seventh seed. You know, yeah, I didn't think all those teams in the AFC would, namely Cincinnati, of all of them would just fall off a cliff like I took the Bengals to win division.
Speaker 2: So did I?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I had I had Baltimore and Pittsburgh going in as wild cards.
Speaker 4: I think I did too. I can't remember who was two and three for me. You're talking about bigges disappointments. I would say Dallas and the Niners were the two biggest NFC disappointments.
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially the Niners in particular. Yeah, six and you go six and nine right now, Yeah, you're over. Under was eleven and a half, which.
Speaker 3: Was and they got hit hard by injuries.
Speaker 2: Eleven and a half was tied for the most year of the the highest in league. If you looked at the odds to go to the Super Bowl prior to this season, they were in the top three.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, because the NFC looked like it easier path too. Yeah, I mean they may have been number one, right, they didn't because Kansas City looked like they had a tougher path. AFC looked a lot harder when the season started.
Speaker 2: So folks, we're not We're not going through that here in Pittsburgh. No, no, no, no, Like people are complaining about this and that, and I get it again. Nobody go over or under. They're right on the number. They actually they're right under the number. Their number was an another win. They're over under was nine and a half.
Speaker 4: Kind of like, that's a disappointing year to me, despite your nine to seven, because they had so much momentum five.
Speaker 2: And one to start to see.
Speaker 4: Yeah, say that's a little bit different situation. That's a second year head coach, second year quarterback. They got this, you know, they've got this whole NFL thing figured out. They're steamrolling through. They added Diggs, they added you know, Daniel Hunter. They were ready to take a step with the big boys, and they didn't. I mean, they're gonna win their division, but and may even you may even win your bet on the over, but you're holding on by the skin of your teeth.
Speaker 2: To me, the two AFC biggest disappointments are both in this division.
Speaker 3: I did the Ohio teams.
Speaker 2: Cleveland's over under was eight and a half. Now I didn't think that was right.
Speaker 3: No, I took the under. Yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Didn't, you know, because that was counting on Deshaun Watson to be not who he had been the previous three seasons. There're three and twelve.
Speaker 4: But you could have made the argument they had the best defense in the league last year or one of and it's not.
Speaker 2: It's not been there right running game.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: Similarly, Cincinnati's over under was ten and a half.
Speaker 3: Now I took the over on that one. I was on board with Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: There's seven and eight right now, and they can't blame a bunch of injuries.
Speaker 3: No, no, you can't.
Speaker 2: It's the defense.
Speaker 3: It's a defense. It's very simple. What the problem is. I mean, it's one side of the ball is an actor.
Speaker 2: And that was supposed to be well, you know, I mean two years ago, lou An Orumo is he's you know, why is this guy head coach? He's been illegal? Look, well he's going with the Cincinnati defense. Yep, that's not gonna be the case this offseason.
Speaker 4: And the other thing, too, is I don't like or either like. I'd much rather be in Houston shoes or Miami's or even the Colts for the most part of now what do I do? I mean Cleveland's and they're a novel spot. I mean, at least they have Burrow. I mean that's great, but they have a lot of things they have to figure out too to get back to being a I don't know, you know, eleven twelve win team in the preseason.
Speaker 3: Of you know where you're gonna be.
Speaker 2: And the problem for Cleveland this year is that they've there's so many other bad teams out there. They're not going to be in position to draft a quarterback this year, probably not. And it's only I don't even know if you want to this year, right, you know. That's the other thing. Yeah, but it's bad.
Speaker 3: It is bad.
Speaker 4: So coincidentally, I got this thing from Sports Info Solutions today talking about who's been hit hardest by injuries and they break it down offense, defense, and a couple of the teams that just just wanted to like, who are the extremes, Packers, Bills, Commanders, Falcons, Broncos got hit the least, you know, and that adds up all those teams have had pretty darn good years. Teams hit the most, the Lions, and it's like all on defense. They have this chart, you know, and they're still managing. Browns were next. They have got hit pretty hard, but don't tell me Watson. Watson getting hurt was It's not the same as your starting quarterbacks, the.
Speaker 2: Starting quarterback right now, if he hadn't gotten.
Speaker 3: Hurt, right, Cowboys were next. That adds up.
Speaker 4: I mean they have three studs and Lamb just went on I or the other two missed massive portions. Giants, Niners, you know, those are the teams that that adds up. I mean, that's kind of what it looks like. We're the Steelers falling that the right in the middle. They are dead middle with a much more so offense getting hurt than defense.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I just wonder if they considered Russell Wilson the starter to start the season.
Speaker 3: I was curious how they.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I mean, if you have a first round pick, you would he's going to be a starter, and they never got that opportunity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he started one game and got hurt.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I actually need to click on it and read further. But there's just a charge here.
Speaker 2: It's kind of interesting because they have had i mean the offensive line injuries early in the season where.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, there was a lot of it. Yeah, I mean even pickings for a couple of games. I mean, that's a starter you know, yeah, so, yeah, they're right in the middle there. I think Firemouth missed a game or two, right, Uh no, no, has he been for all?
Speaker 3: I think so.
Speaker 2: I think he's played them. But the Steelers' injuries have kind of been clustered at the beginning of the season O line with the O line, yeah, and now late in the season with the defensive.
Speaker 3: Backs, right, which is a tough way to live.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, it'd be better if you could spread them out. That's obviously not how the world works.
Speaker 2: Now, we'll see about Joey Porter junior. Maybe they get him back here, and you know, they're they're somewhat healthy again going into the playoffs.
Speaker 3: You've dealt with a nice long break, You've dealt.
Speaker 2: With the offensive line stuff. But you I mean, at this point you'd love to have James Daniels and Folotano available.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I mean even Herbig was her big, it would have been useful there for a while. Or you know, no question, and you know your top three picks, you only got one out of them, and he's been a good one. Reman Wilson hasn't helped either. I mean, that's that's we talked about that earlier in the week. I mean, we're talking about rookie classes and things. They's got hit pretty hard by injury. Yeah, but McCormick looks like a keeper, and Fraser looks like a keeper, you know, Wilson looks like a keeper.
Speaker 3: Peyton.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's the situation. But I thought it'd be interesting to look at those over unders.
Speaker 4: Next year's camp will be kind of fun from that regard is you're gonna have a whole rookie class and those two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, by the.
Speaker 4: Way, right right right, I mean we kind of dealt with that with Trice, but he was a seventh round pick.
Speaker 3: He was the first round pick, yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, you weren't necessarily counting on him to become something. Anyways, let's get to a break that's going to do it for our number one of the drive here on the Steelers Audio Network, Matt and I'll be back with our number two right after this.