Speaker 1: Welcome in Tumble Bears Weekly, a Chicago Bears Network production download, the Chicago Bears official at brought to you by Verizon to follow the team on ago. Bears Weekly is brought to you by Advocate Healthcare, Beth Rivers, CD Dolling, Connie's Pizza, and Miller Liked. Here are your hosts, Chef Child aka the May of Bearsville and his psidekick Tom, the Surfmaster.
Speaker 2: Theyer, and a pleasant good to day. Everybody. Welcome in another edition of Bears Weekly. A lot of love out there for the twenty twenty three Bears locally and nationally as they enter week three of the OTA season. A practice up at hallisaw here today and a lot of the attention centered around, of course, the offensive editions and the play of quarterback Justin Field. We'll discuss here todight on ESPN Chicago and the Chicago Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 3: Thanks for joining us, everybody.
Speaker 2: We've got our producers Jordan tread Up and Dan Burrilly helping us out tonight. Kendra Smith and Justin Potton's in the ESPN one thousand studios. Our executive producer of the Bears Radio Network is Eric Ostrowski and coming up at the bottom of the hour will be joined by NFL Network's very own and he is always entertaining a big Bears fan perspective from the lifelong Bears fan Adam Rank from NFL Network And as usual, my partners Tom Fhahir and Jim Aller joining us tonight.
Speaker 3: Fellas, how we doing. First of all, big.
Speaker 4: Jim doing great, my friend. Good to be with you tonight. So let's have a good one, Jeff, Tom always a lot to talk about, rob Elie.
Speaker 3: All right, we'll get Tom on board in a moment.
Speaker 2: But I mentioned Justin Fields out of the gate last week's show, which was on Thursday. Short turnaround. Not much as transpire the last few days. But I'm gonna go back to Justin Fields Jim, because I read Sports Illustrated dot com today. One of the hot takes today was Justin Fields will account for forty touchdowns this year. He scored twenty five total last year, seventeen through the air, eight on the ground in fifteen games. The Bears are better at various spots offensively. So the idea is that yes, that number, What would that mean in terms of wins and losses? If he could get to a number.
Speaker 4: Like that, well, I mean to me, you're when you're throwing forty touchso that those are MVP type numbers, right, Go look at when Lamar Jackson won the MVP for Baltimore, right, he had thirty six touchdown passes and then obviously his rushing touchdowns as well. So I think you're talking MVP and MVP type of season when you're doing stuff a lot or minimum Offensive Player of the Year type of numbers, when you're putting up those type of figures, you know, at the quarterback position, I think is he capable of that? Of course he is, you know, but a lot of things got to come into place, and you know, I think there are easy goals for him. Won the fifty five sacks we all know have to come down. Those are not all on the offensive line. So if he can cut that number in half with the sack totals and then of course his you know, for me, I think a realistic number if he's thrown for a little over three thousand yards, you know, like thirty three hundred yards, thirty four hundred yards averaging like two hundred yards a game, I think that's realistic for him to be able to accomplish that, and then of course his turnovers, you know, those got to come down, you know, whether it's you know that he had sixteen fumbles last year, so minimum can you can you cut that number like it to be cut more than half. And I think those are all realistic goals for Justin Fields to be able to you know, to achieve in twenty twenty three. And if he does all of them, the Bears will win more games. Period, They'll win more games.
Speaker 2: I want to talk about something else I saw on Pro Football focused about Justin and just quarterbacks around the league, the checkdown rates. He had a five point three percent check down rate in twenty twenty two. Obviously, we know he was sacked at a high rate and a throwaway rate of five percent. Okay, we could look at those numbers and compare them, but the third lowest checkdown rate on third down. All the running quarterbacks like Jalen Hurts, Lamar Jackson didn't have any zero out of eighty one throws on checkdowns. But those checkdowns, though, can lead to maybe shorter line the gain on a fourth down, a better field position, or a tackle that breaks for a first down and That's why I want to get into a little bit about using the running backs more in the passing game than was the case last year. Do you think that will be on the plate this year.
Speaker 4: I hope it is. And I think you know, most quarterbacks when you do, especially in like when you're in a two minute mode, you know nowhere your checkedouts because you want to start off like a two minute drive with a positive play. So to me, like nine out of ten of my when we did two minute drives, most likely I was hitting the check down to get a positive play, just to generate momentum, you know, as the drive goes along. But yeah, stuff like you're saying, if you know you have an elusive back like the Bears do, I don't care who you pick. Khalil Herbert. You know him in space, He's an elusive guy. He's hard to tackle. And when you've got match up again its linebackers, you've got to be thinking those situations going into a game. So you know, like I mentioned that game against Green Bay where he got picked off by Jay R Alexander. That's a first down, first and tent throw that he made when it's just should have Ben Hay, He's not there, let me go to the checkdoun And it's just that, you know, simple of a decision where it keeps the drive alive, doesn't demoralize your team and destroy momentum for your team late in the game. And I think you'll start as a quarterback. The further you get along your career, you're thinking of situations like that. So you're, like you said, you're playing ahead of schedule, so to speak. All right, not there, just taking the checkdown and we'll live with second and say second and five, you know, and knowing it's a positive play at the end. And I think Justin will get there. I definitely think he's aware of it. Just when I listened to him in his postgame interviews. He sees the entire field and this guy did this, and I saw this guy do that, and you know, and I should have did this. And so he is self correcting himself. And I already witnessed him self correcting himself last year. So it'll be better, it'll be faster, and he'll be thinking those situations moving forward, I believe.
Speaker 2: And then Adams set up some deep balls and deep balls you know last year according to Pro Football Focus. Again, I think seven hundred deep passing yards. DJ Moore led Carolina in deep passing yards. He was eighth in the league last year, and we've talked about him last week being a first down to touchdown type of guy. Do you think that's a great pairing now because they're speed here involved and that should open things up if the running game remains the same and getting some deep ball accuracy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I think he's gaining trust in him. They're working their prore and you know, working to get their rapport and I think you know, Dj Moore is a guy that say, if it is double coverage, like the trust I had in Marty Booker, I was going to throw it up there and give Marty a chance.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I had to be accurate where I had to place the ball, but I knew what Marty could and could not do, which was he was great in manipulating his body and you know, arcing his body in certain ways where he's going to make an athletic play and come down with the ball. How many times have we seen it with Aaron Rodgers and DeVante Adams where you have that type of rapport in trust where all of a sudden, those guys are getting like one hundred and eighty targets in a season. I mean that is a lot of targets. And I would think DJ Moore is a guy who can command, you know, minimum, he should get over one hundred and twenty five in terms of his targets, and he'll probably have over one hundred receptions when it's all said and done. But that type of trust, you're going to give those guys more opportunities just because you trust them in double coverage in certain situations that they're going to come down with the ball.
Speaker 2: And next gen stats, this one, I guess shouldn't surprise me. I know the Dolphins are out about speed with Tyreek Kill, but because of justin last year, plays of twenty plus yards won, the offensive ball carrier reached twenty plus miles per hour, Tyreek kal ten justin fields nine the only players at more than six touches reaching twenty plus mile per hour. So the Bears and the Dolphins were the only two teams in the NFL with that number. Do you expect that to remain the same or will it increase with the increase in team speed For the Bears that they brought in on the offensive sound, well, I.
Speaker 4: Think it's going to increase just with the team speed they brought in. And certainly, you know, you just want to be careful with Justin because he even admitted that, you know, again self corrector imagine how many times he was cramping up right the one game he said, well, I just I dehydrate so fast. Now I'm getting ivs every game, So he'll have to monitor that. And again, you don't want to wear him down as he rolls along, So you're probably going to modify the amount of carries, you know, and just based week to week on how his body's feeling and all those type of things where maybe one week he's incorporated more than another week. That's what the Bills do quite a bit with Josh Allen. I think you're going to monitor at with Justin Field throughout the entire year because you certainly don't want him breaking down. You know, another issue that he hurdle he needs to get over is getting banged up right the dings and the where he's missing time here and there due to just some Nixon bruises that come along with the territory.
Speaker 2: All right, when we come back, well here from Khalil Herbert from last week's Ota sessions talk about how he views his off season and getting better. We'll also here from Kyler Gordon to Knight and Dave Borganzi on the Bears new linebackers. We'll talk edge rushers and try to bring Tom Thayer and have some technical difficulties here at the moment. We'll get it straightened out and be back with you here on Bears Weekly with John, Jim Miller, and Tom.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 2: I'm Jeff Joniak here on ESPN one thousand and the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 1: Is Bears Weekly with a Voice of the Bears for twenty three years, Jeff jon on the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 2: The access to every Bears home game, exclusive seding, sadline, credentals and more now available. Get the ultimate vib fan packaged this by visiting Chicago Bears.
Speaker 3: V Guypete dot Com.
Speaker 2: Jeff Jonniyak, Jim Miller, and Tom Payer now on the phone line. Got some gremlins tonight, Big Tom. We're working through it, but we got you.
Speaker 5: You know, Jeff, I'm the worst person to have technical errors with because I'm the most difficult person to try to get him figured out. So I'll contribute in any way I can.
Speaker 2: I know, and that's that's called teamwork. Jim Miller, Right, Yeah, we've all been through it. We've all been through it.
Speaker 4: Tom's a good teammate man. You know, he wasn't gonna miss out on this game. You know that he doesn't miss games.
Speaker 2: Oh no, he does not not miss games. So we touched on Justin in that first segment. And we've talked about this a lot, but I want to talk about the running backs. And this goes back to what you keep talking about too, you know, getting the ball to them. You talk about that David Montgomery played first game of the season, get the ball to him and you know, get things running. You know, last season, just getting the ball to the backs. I envision it better. Montgomery was targeted forty times, thirty four catches through under sixteen yards. Khali Herbert just twelve targets, nine catches fifty seven yards.
Speaker 3: Can this change here in twenty twenty three, Timmy.
Speaker 5: It's got to change it, But it's got to kind of change with a mindset from Justin fields, because I believe Justin has such high belief in his running skills that he's almost disappointed when he has to check it down because he can turn a possible checkdown route into however many yards it's going to get to every time he gets into the second level of the defense, that could turn into a touchdown. So but in all fairness to Justin's safety, Beer talking about the first sack of the year that Justin took last year should have been a simple out route to Dave Montgomery. Instead, he took an awkward hit that resulted in the stack. And you know the analytics of job a drive resulting in a score when there's a sack involved. So I look at it, you know, selfishly for Justin's safety, but I also think that they have a slew of good receivers that are gonna are going to be fighting for time in training camp.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's gonna be fun to spread that ball around. Don't forget the tight end position either, Khalil Herbert. Last year we forget or maybe we don't. Jim he led the NFL five point seven yards of carry at the running back position, just the running back position in twenty twenty two is second season.
Speaker 3: That's good stuff right there.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I don't think it's you know, with the adjustments on their offensive line, you know, I do think their goal is why can't they lead the league in rushing? Again, I think they're better upfront with drafting Darnell Right, moving Cody White here back to center, so minimum that should be their goal. Again, I don't see any drop off that they'll run the ball any worse, But I do think there are opportunities in the past game with those guys out of the backfield, you know, with Herbert, who I think is more than capable of doing it. I think Rashawn Johnson, who they drafted, even though he's a bigger back, I do think Foreman and him still have the ability to do that. And a lot of times when we're talking checkdowns, it doesn't just mean it's the back, you know. It could mean, you know, like when you've got a level principal or x shallow cross principle, you know you can have your third receiver is ultimately going to be your checkdown. That maybe is just you know, crossing the field and sits down at the opposite hash mark where that could be your third checkdown. So there are going to be numerous outlets where he can get to a checkdown that Again, I think guys are capable of doing it can make a guy miss and break a tackle and get a big positive play, and it's all just by you know, throwing not even what is essentially a five yard pass. I mean, let's face it, some of those bubble screens are thrown behind a line of scrimmage and can end up being a plus ten gainer, plus fifteen gainer. We've seen plays like that go to the house on just a short pass play.
Speaker 2: All right, So, if I'm not mistaken, in your two thousand and one season and the time you spent with the Bears beyond that, the shallow cross was big, right, Yeah, yeah, it certainly was.
Speaker 3: I remember that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we did. We do a lot of X shallow cross because it's a good quarters coverage beater. Like we must have ran the play, like I think we went up to Green Bay and ran the xhall clock cross. It must. We must called it eight to ten times in that game, and Marty Booker or Des White would get it and they'd split. It was perfect because the linebackers are basically vacated because they're taking the second level players and then that X shallow comes wide open and your outside receiver has already driven off that quarters coverage so there becames comes like a little lane where you just it's a five yard pass, but yet Marty Booker would I think minimum, we got like twelve yards after the catch on every single one of those. And so there are just level principles where you're just attacking different levels of the defense and they're very effective and it makes them cover quite a bit of quite a bit of area space that they've got to be prepared for.
Speaker 5: You know, one thing we can't ignore either is, you know, we really aren't gonna get the pass protection revealed to us until the first week of the regular season because they're not going to play enough time to gather during the preseason. You're not going to see it really live and practice, and you're gonna, you know, see a lot of different combinations of those groups. And I think when you talk about the efficiency the effectiveness of where you want to throw the ball, a lot of it is the quarterback is confident in his time of protection. I think that's going to be huge and helping the quarterback too.
Speaker 2: Also, the Khalil Herbert, our guy that was at the podium last week for the OTA availability for the media, I touched down a couple of things about what he's working on. One of them is just pass protection and he builds from there.
Speaker 6: You got to be all the every down back, So that's a big that's a big part of it. And it's something I worked on throughout this offseason. And you know, I don't I don't know what in compared to the other guys, but it's something that I've been working on a fix. So punching, punching bags, boxing. I did boxing this offseason just to work on my punch time and different things like that. You know, everybody's different, but that's what I try to working on and help me. I'm just approaching it a comp you know, every day, got to compete, got to compete, and I come up with the mindset. You know, obviously I want to be the starter. So just coming with the mindset of leading and doing what I gotta do, and you know, doing what I do every day that I've been doing, and you know, I feel like things will work out.
Speaker 5: So, you know, I think this most of one of the most important elements. If you do want to consider yourself have the league consider you a three down back, it's because of your ability to protect against linebackers, blitzers, from the outside or even from the third level, and so I do think that's one of the hindrances of Khalil being that next level back if he can come in there and stand up against his pass protection responsibilities not only on third down, but first and second down. When you get a team that likes to attack a lot, and I think that will be you know, you know, heavily involved in the total evaluation of Khalil.
Speaker 2: Hey, Jim, guys coming out of college, you know, very few are ready for past protection. You'll you'll get some scouting reports on guys that are and they've had plenty of experience at it, but typically it takes a year or two to get your your feet under you to really understand what you have to do and deal with those bigger bodies coming at you in the league. I also want to talk about this aspect of things with Khalil because he was asked last week, you know, uh, do you have anything to prove? And he goes, I mean, he kind of chuckled. He said, I don't have anything to prove. I believe in myself and I want to be the starting back and I know there's a lot of competition here and I do think they're gonna spread spread the wealth around, and you know, guys are gonna emerge at different aspects of games like he did last year. You go to the hot hand and they got Roshawn Johnson, and boy is he impressive. He looks impressive. He he is totally driven to be something special. And Dante Foreman from last year terrific end of season, stayed healthy and I had a great, great, great season there in Carolina. So and there's other guys too, there's other guys fighting for time.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, I think for Khalil, I do I think he can be in every down back. I don't think the Bears want to use him in that capacity because, like you mentioned, you got the big guys who are I always call him the meat tender risers. And then you've got the burst of speed by Khalil Herbert. Because one thing that I've noticed about him as a runner, one he's extremely patient. He's got great vision, but he's got that second gear that just that little bit more burst of juice than say David Montgomery, where I thought at the second level, he's got another gear where he can take it, you know, just for more consistent explosive runs at the end of the day. But like you said's if he's a hot hand in the game, that's typically what you're going to go with, you know, and if he's feeling it in one game and you know, offensive cordator Luke Getzi just says, hey, man, let's just stick with Herbert. He's got a great drive going here. There's no sense in pulling them out. And normally that can lead to it just a great game where he gets more opportunities. Maybe that particular week could be Week seven, could be Week ten, could be Week five, team whichever it is, and you'll stick with the hot guy.
Speaker 5: You know. One thing about pass protection now, at the running back, Let's be realistic about it. It's not the requirements of an offensive line what they need to, you know, protect a quarterback for three or three plus seconds. A running back has to come up and you know stop, you know, have a stalemate against a blitzing linebacker, be able to rush at defensive back to the outside and widen the pocket. So you know, in terms of Khalil, he can do everything that's required of him. It's just about making sure that you have the courage to stand in there. And create that stalemate against sometimes, you know, a bigger bodied linebacker.
Speaker 2: At times, I like you threw boxing in there. You know, Jason McKee did that as a player as well. He felt helped. They're not the same footwork, obviously in the two sports brad Bigs outline that this week in the Tribune and a nice story about Khalil by any means necessary, you know, work on whatever to get your your hands and feet married up at any position in the league. And and listen, I don't know, I know you just lifted weights, Tom, I don't know what else you did. I don't know did you Did you run at all in the off season? Did you try all these things?
Speaker 3: Wait? Did you try wait?
Speaker 2: Wait, wait wait, I know you loved the weight room, But did you try other things as you got older in your career to fine tune or just try something different?
Speaker 3: It was it all about the weight room.
Speaker 5: It was all about Clyde Emeric because what Clyde Emerck was able to teach you inside the weight room and the inner the competitiveness in a friendly way amongst everybody on the team, and the way we encouraged each other to be strong. But he also had a variety of running tools that we got we did out in the field, and a lot of them they don't use today, But I think the way Clyde incorporated them, you were more realistic of the requirements of the positions in the way it helped you. So, like what so we had a thing called woes and goes wend the goal line in the three point stance, whatever your stance was, and then you sprinted that next twenty yards. You got back in a stance, so you're up and down, you're out of your stance, you're pushing off with your calves. You're doing things that you do every single day in football in terms of breaking the huddle, getting a line of scrimmage, getting in your stance, and using your stance as a weapon. And then we had these ropes that we used to run through, and we used to have a variety of different ways that whoever was leading that day or who was ever leading that session could do a lot of different a lot of versatility. And you were picking your feet up high off the ground and you know, creating balance and creating strength and creating organized conditioning that was going to help you in the sport. So those are just a couple of things that if you go back and you get the generations that were raised by Clyde over at Hallis Hall, you can see how a beneficial all those things that we did throughout our career.
Speaker 2: And here, Jim I thought Woes and Ghost was ahato of my autobiography coming out after my career. I didn't know that, did you? Did you incorporate new things? Did you seek out quarterback coaches beyond the ones that you are employed by to try to enhance your game as you got older in the career.
Speaker 4: No, I never did that. I did a lot of the stuff on my own, like for strengthening my shoulder and stuff and things like that. But one thing I did incorporate is similar to what Tom did you know, for any player of the Bears, I would keep every script through, say the OTAs. Why would I do that, because then you'd go home and I'd say, all right, I'm going to go back through this practice and I'm gonna now I'm going to simulate every single play myself. So you're getting an actual physical rep. Like you said, you had call out the play, you act like you're breaking the huddle. You go up to the line of scrimmage, you run out all the mechanics of that play in full speed. And yeah, it could be with the high school kids or wherever I'm at, I tell what to do or whatever, but you're simulating that play and it simulates football because that's how you're going to get into football shape, right, is playing football. And so I would I would go through every single one of those scripts, and you know, whatever the OTAs are. Maybe you get in the thirty forty to fifty plays in a script and just go out there and basically get another practice. But yet you're gearing yourself and conditioning yourself for football, but yet still challenging yourself for all the mental aspects of reading coverages and where to throw the ball and going through your reads and your mechanics and your footwork and all those type of things. And to me, that was just one simple thing that I started to implement in my preparation for training camp leading up towards the end of my career.
Speaker 2: Time for a break coming up next down the other side will be joined by Adam Rank from NFL Network with Tom Behren Jim Miller.
Speaker 3: This is Bears Weekly on the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 1: Is Bear's weekly with a voice of the Bears for twenty three years just on the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 2: Hey you want VP access to every Bears home game, no exclusive.
Speaker 3: Seating, chatback, credectives, and more. Now available.
Speaker 2: Get the ultimate VIP fan package this season by Vision in Chicago Bears v iv dot Com from Serious x MNFL Radios.
Speaker 3: Moving the Chains.
Speaker 2: Former Bears quarterback Jim Miller and my Super Bowl Guard broadcast partner Tom Thayer A fellas Tremaine Edmunds a guy we're gonna be talking a lot about t J Edwards as well at the linebacker position. Last week, dipped into a conversation with the media with linebackers coach Dave Borgonzi.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, look at linebackers, you're involved in the run in the past, so you know, whether we're blitzing or we're in coverage or we're playing against the run. I think it all kind of works hand in hand. But there's definitely, you know, ways we can use him. He's a unique you know, Tremain's he's big, he's athletic, he's physical, and he's really smart. So you know, it's it's gonna be fun to use him in different ways. His sizes that allow you to do anything differently in the middle of the field. No, not really. I mean we're gonna We're gonna do what we do. And uh, they've had a pretty big linebacker here before. I heard who were number fifty four and he's sixty four and change, and so yeah, I mean, look, when you play a lot of his own defense and you're six four and a half, you could take up a lot of space and fill up windows and zone coverages. So it definitely helps the coverage part of it because he is such a big person.
Speaker 2: Would you describe how those edwards also just they've jumped out and hey, this is our defense now.
Speaker 7: I mean yeah, So, like both of those guys have played a lot of football. TJ came out in twenty seventeen, Turmain came out in twenty eighteen, and so they've seen a lot. This is a different system, but there's a lot of similarities to where they were at before. So I think there was a lot of carryover. And I think they were able to come in and understand it right away and play fast, and they're both really smart and they both take their job really serious. So I think it's it's been really good at the linebacker room, but also just for the defense to see how those guys approach it. Evins is really young for his age, so he sourn. He just turned twenty five. He came to the league when he was nineteen, so you know this is gonna be his sixth season. So he just turned twenty five in May. I believe he was May. He just turned twenty five. I think it was May. Anyways. Yeah, so he's young, and he's played a lot of football, and he's he's been really durable. I think he's only missed seven games in five years, so he still you know, has a lot of good football in front of him.
Speaker 2: And you throw at Jack Sambourne in there too, and the competition from the young guys Jim.
Speaker 3: Just the presence of Edmunds over the middle.
Speaker 2: What does that mean to a quarterback, especially those eyes on the shorter side when you see that big, angular body with long arms in the middle of the field.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he's been a green dot guy since he arrived in the NFL. I remember when he arrived in Buffalo and even Sean McDermott said he picked up everything very quickly. You know, this guy was their green dot. He called all their plays reacts quickly. He's played a lot of football, Like you said, he's matured quite a bit as well, and he was already a mature kid then when he came to the league, which is hard to believe, it was as young as what he was. And so I think both him and Edwards have that experience. They'll pick up this defense quickly. They are fast, reactive players that I think fit in nicely with the Bear scheme and what they want to do defensively, and I think they'll be They'll be counted on, you know, that is a strong part of the defense, I think is the secondary and the linebacker group, and I think we're still waiting to see where the pass rush will be, but they'll be counted on to be good, really good players.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, Jim, you said it is you know, what is their a relationship and how is it going to develop with the defensive line, because if you think of the defensive lines and the teams that they just came from, and how deep and experience, how good of productive defensive lines they were, if the Bears can kind of formulate a plan to get a rotation of fresh bodies guys that have different types of traits during the reps that they get to play. That's going to be the best thing that linebackers can have is that quality defensive line in front of them, that the offensive line is more concerned about the initial line of scrimmage than they are the linebackers and can give those guys a little bit more freedom. So I think throughout training camp, you know a lot of the individual drills that they do, and the teamwork drills they do, and the mechanic works they work they do. It's going to be interesting to pay attention because the linebackers, as great as their careers have been up into this point, they'll be as good as their defensive line plays.
Speaker 2: Also, quick check of the day's news and a trip around the league coming up in our next segment with jimmar and Tom Thayer. This is Jeff Joniyak and this is Bears Weekly on AM one thousand and the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Bear's Weekly with a voice of the Bears for twenty three years, Jeff Jony the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 2: This segment of Bears Weekly is brought to you buys cv W people to get it. A couple of minutes to go, So our quick whip around, I'll start with Tom Thayer news on Leonard Floyd, the ex Beair now at Buffalo bill one year deal.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, he's had nice acts for more in each of the last three years. They need an opposite book end of von Miller, depending upon how he'll return from the injury. I think it's a good sign for Buffalo and.
Speaker 3: A sixty eight million dollar extension for ed Oliver. Jim Miller.
Speaker 4: Yeah, talked to their defensive line coach and said, hey, if he just learns to be more reactive from the neck up, you know, and just think about more situational play. This is an explosive guy who can get upfield. And again he's always had a good defensive line rotation around him, but you know, not up there with the guys like Doron Payne. You know, we'll get the the ninety million dollar deals, but certainly at Oliver was rewarded handsomely.
Speaker 3: Jim quickly.
Speaker 2: I think this was the NFL Next Gen stats turnovers forced by pressure by players Number one since twenty seventeen is Miles Garrett with twenty four, but Yunikin Gockway second with nineteen.
Speaker 3: Should the Bears be.
Speaker 4: Interested, Absolutely, they should be talking to him. He sounds like he wants to play for a contender. Don't know if the Bears would be on his radar screen, but hey, it never hurts to play a phone call because he's a good football.
Speaker 2: Player and dirt has been dug for the new stadium in Buffalo.
Speaker 3: Tommy Today, you know.
Speaker 5: That's a landmark move by a historic franchise. I don't know how they're gonna take it. Better be it better be a grand palace.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it looks like it will be. That's gonna do it, Fellas. We'll talk to you next week.
Speaker 4: Thanks, Jimmy, sounds good, my friend.
Speaker 3: That's Tom Fahyer. I'm Jeff Jonnyeck.
Speaker 2: Thanks to Adam Rank from NFL Network, Eric Ostrowski, our executive producer of the Bears Radio Network, Hendra Smith, and Justin Potten juring the ESPN one thousand studios for Dan Brilliant.
Speaker 3: Jordan Treadup as well. We'll talk to you next week. Stay tuned. Jeff Miller, Taller, Rocky Next, have a good night, everybody.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to the Chicago Bears Network presentation of Bears Weekly, hosted by the Mayra, Bearsville, Jeff Juniac and Surfmaster Tom Thayer. Podcasts are available on the Chicago Bears Official aand brought to you by Verizon and Apple Podcasts. Bears Weekly has been brought to you by Ben Rivers and Miller Life