Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg Tech is live from the heart of Silicon.
Speaker 3: Valley with Ed Ludlow in San Francisco.
Speaker 4: This is Bloomberg Tech, coming off another megabond sale. Alphabet looking to raise as much as twenty five billion dollars from its latest offering, a deal that will test investor appetite for AI related debts, plus a rough day for Western Digital or WD. The storage giant slides after a disappointing outlook despite the broader AI infrastructure boom, and Sequoia's leaders Alfred Lynn and Pat Grady join us on the future of the storied venture capital firm. It is a debt day, That's what we're talking about. Today's big number eighty nine point five billion dollars. That's how much Alphabet debt has been sold globally since twenty twenty five. Looking at shares of Alphabet, the Google parent in the equity market, the stock is flat but had been under some pressure in the last twenty four hours about a wave of departures. Will bring you that story later on. I want to zero in on AI debt and get more in Alphabet with Robert Schiffman Bloomberg Intelligence Senior credit analyst. This is a twenty five billion dollar dollar denominated offering.
Speaker 5: Ten parts, right.
Speaker 4: But it's the latest in a sequence of bond market activity. You write borrowing fears question mark, answer your question mark.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the answer right now is no. I think the second quarter prints that we saw for the biggest hyperscalers actually prove to people that all the money that they're spending is being monetized and the confidence levels improved. You're seeing that with share prices and you're seeing that with bond prices. The demand for this deal, I think is going to be substantial. Heard already was that the books were at sixty five billion. I think they're only going to issue twenty five billion dollars, so not raising its positive. Obviously, their cost of capital is going up a little bit, but after increasing their capex guidance by twenty billion just a week or so ago, there shouldn't be a surprise to anybody. And quite frankly, I think they're actually front running a lot of next year's borrowing and this may actually help technicals going into twenty twenty seven versus hurt them.
Speaker 5: On a US dollar basis.
Speaker 4: You know, alphabet it's forty two point five billion dollars since twenty five Amazon's seventy seven billion dollars. You know, you have done a really good job shift of explaining to the blombog tech audience why it's different in here and now to say that the dot com bubble, the financial crisis, Like, what do the balance sheets of these companies and their top line growth outlooks differ from that period in history.
Speaker 6: Well, these are real businesses that are generating cash, that are just spending more money these days to make more cash down the line. We're starting up with a tremendous amount of balance sheet flexibility. I'll will be trade at double A plus at S and P. They're one notch away from the highest potential rating that you can have. And the raider said this morning they have two hundred billion dollars of net debt capacity within their current ratings. That means just to fall a notch to mid mid double A, they would have to issue another two hundred billion dollars a debt and spend it. So I think the flexibility that you see from we've set a time and time again these amount rushmore of credits enables them to borrow as much as they want. And the concerns that people have been having that they're not going to be able to fund themselves as Capex budgets go up by fifty or one hundred percent next year, it's just not true. They can borrow, they can raise the money. The demand is there, the balance sheet flexibility is there, and people are now getting paid for it versus two or three years ago, when you've got basically no spread to own any of these names.
Speaker 4: Robert Schiffman, Bloomberg Intelligence, senior credit analysts, Thank you very much.
Speaker 5: I mentioned that the news story for Google, which is.
Speaker 4: Google is undergoing its biggest AI leadership shake up in years. Longtime AI executive Jeff Dean is leaving to launch a startup with several senior DeepMind researchers, while DeepMind CEO Demisasabs is stepping back from day to day operations to become chairman of deep Mind but also Alphabet's chief scientists. The changes come as Google faces mounting pressure to keep pace in the airas race, with investors basically questioning whether the company can retain top talent and turn its AI research into commercial success. That was the stock story of yesterday let's stick with Alphabet. Joining us is Natie Gallager, Princeville economist and director at Board. I want to go very briefly back to Alphabet, going back.
Speaker 5: To the bomb market.
Speaker 4: What does that signal about where we are in a capex cycle?
Speaker 1: You know, it really signals that we'reking continuing to mature in the capex cycle.
Speaker 2: We have had the.
Speaker 1: Hyper scalers, you know, largely following a similar playbook that's to utilize internal cash flows, keep leverage low. Right, when you do look at the balance sheets more holistically, solvency really isn't an issue, and so I really see no cause for concern when we talk about Alphabet specifically. They just had their first quarter of negative cash flows since they went to IPO in two thousand and four. So I'm not surprised to.
Speaker 7: See it.
Speaker 4: The economists view of seeing companies of Alphabet scale, and they're not unique in that respect entering negative free cash flow. Does that go into the economic model?
Speaker 2: Ye know it.
Speaker 1: It speaks more holistically to the commitment of spending by these hyper scalers on AI, right, and they're absolutely spending with the belief that future cash flows are really going to validate that level of spending. Now, you know, we've talked about this before, but really the question becomes not, you know, can they continue to do so It's very likely, you know, they're in very strong positions balance sheet wise. The real conversation is around the risk and what capital misallocation looks like if the bet doesn't pay off.
Speaker 4: I want to go back a little bit to Federal Reserve Chair WASH's first meeting and press conference because he discussed capex, the Capex boom and paraphrasing, but what he said is that kapex boom is driving up prices of AI infrastructure, right, That was his analysis. Is there an inflationary impact elsewhere in the economy from what's happening in AI?
Speaker 1: You know, there is a broader conversation happening right now. How much of the economic growth we are experiencing is it because of AI? And there's really you know, multiple areas in the economy that this can come out. One is capex by these companies directly. The other is actually an asset price valuations. Right, so, think of all of the gains that have really happened in the stock market right now, very strong argument that that is in fact inflationary because when people have more money, what do they do They spend more money longer term. And Warsh has come out and said this sort of historically, there's a belief system that because AI increases productivity, it's actually disinflationary in the long term, which is why as a Federal Reserve chairman he's very or has shared comfort with having a lower neutral rate in the future.
Speaker 4: Every day was trying to understand the impact of AI on the real economy, Like, if you look at labor productivity where it runs now relative to pre pandemic, is there any tangible evidence in front of you that AI is in some way impacting that data.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a great question because, I mean, you know, when we talk about the overall implication of AI and making it all worth it, right, we have to talk about productivity. When we look at a pre pandemic sort of productivity growth rate, average growth rate, we were at about one point five percent pandemic. We've been closer to two point five to two point seven five percent on like an annualized basis.
Speaker 2: Now on the front.
Speaker 1: That looks really great, right, You get a lot of people that are saying, hey, that's happening contemporaneously. With AI story done right, we have the AI productivity story, But what we actually can do is a lot better. Right, we can look deeper and look at metrics like total factor productivity utilization adjusted, and that helps us really tease out, okay, out of productivity growth, how much of this is really coming from innovation, and that on a four quarter basis is trailing at aboutzero point seven percent, so that's essentially flat quarter one twenty twenty six. The data is of its delayed Quarter one twenty twenty six actually came in negative two point seven six percent. Now there's contemporary contemporaneous impacts with the straight of hormose closure, so we can't perfectly extrapolate. But I share all of this to really say that at this point in time, we don't have the macro evidence that AI is meaningfully impacting productivity.
Speaker 4: I appreciate that because I feel like it connects the dots from the data points that a lot of the software companies gave in earnings on how AI is actually being used. Nacy Gallagher of Board, thank you very much. Indeed, another big story, take a look at shares of SpaceX which are behaving Interestingly, they're up three percent in the session. There was a heavy decline yesterday. Reminder that they there is a lock up expiration on around nine hundred million shares, which was a complicated structure for lock up post IPO from mid June. Right now, the stocks are hire three percent. Will continue to track it coming up. We are still in a thick of earnings, and this time it's all about hardware WDCO earning.
Speaker 5: Tan joins us. Next the s is Splimberg Tech.
Speaker 4: Let's take a look at some of the storage stocks, Sandy, Seagate, Western Digital differing performance Sandist to the downside, Seagate higher on earnings performance. Western Digitals down nine percent at one point in the session, have been down more than twenty percent and on track for its biggest drop since the year two thousand.
Speaker 5: That has turned around somewhat.
Speaker 4: Let's stay with WDWDCEO Irving ten joins US. Now we're getting back to the AI hard disk drive story. Irving, it's great to have you back on the show. You know, like investors still believe in that story AI hard disk Drive. Your stock is under some pressure. Just reflect on the moment that you try to outline in this in this earnings print.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well, first of all, thank you very much for having me back. If you look at the results that we delivered in Q fourth it's called twenty six, they were very strong. We had over forty percent revenue growth, grass margin was above fifty four percent, very strong cash flow generation as well. If anything, probably the expectations were very high in terms of the increased amount of exerbikes that we could supply into the market. But if you take a step back, really the fundamental for ongoing revenue growth, margin, expansion, cash flow generation remain very strong. On the demand side, demand from hyperscalarists, neo clouds, physical remans very robust, and we continue to see over twenty five percent KEIG or demand from a demand perspective over the next five years. Similarly, on the supply side, we have a very robust roadmap that we have put in place that will be able to meet this demand. And so it's pretty much a function of just quarterly transitions that we're going through.
Speaker 4: I think what you're touching on there is, you know, storage is distinct in many ways from what's happening in memory, in some ways highly analogous. Right, there is a pricing story there there is a demand outpacing supply story and your industry facing the balancing act of expanding output manufacturing capacity on a permanent basis or not.
Speaker 5: How are you managing all of that?
Speaker 8: Yeah, So, first of all, thank you for highlighting that it's a clear distinction between memory, which is like nan and d RAM versus storage, right because memory and like computer, is being recycled all the time for different workloads, but the data that's being generated continues to be stored.
Speaker 9: It isn't getting deleted.
Speaker 8: So the amount of data storage requirements is just compounding over time, which puts a lot of more demand on our products on an ongoing basis. And how we're trying to solve for that is really to technology. We're not investing in increasing the number of drive units we're producing. We continue to invest in technology to increase the amount of hits and media that we produce because that's the big driver of capacity in a drive. So we're currently shipping a thirty two terer By hard Drive as on top of the line drive, but starting this quarter will be shipping a forty terrer byke Drive. So that's an ability to drive over thirty percent capacity to customers without adding any unit capacity.
Speaker 4: Could you go into how that works, you know, bring a forty terabyte drive to market, the engineering complexity of it, and how much do the customers have to sort of re architect their infrastructure to accommodate for that new generation of HDD.
Speaker 9: Yeah, well, hard drives.
Speaker 8: Actually, as an engineer, I always use hard drives as a model of engineering. We use tutors or the periodic table in our product, so as we move from capacity point to capacity point, there's a lot of re engineering that goes on into the recipe of our media designs, the recipe of our hit design. So it's quite an engineering feed. Obviously, we have great teams that have years of experience doing that. At the same time, we work very closely with our customers to make sure we go through very robust qualification processes because customers are very sensitive to the quality and reliability of their data storage capability.
Speaker 4: The other sort of highly analogous factor that's in front of you is long term agreements with the memory market. We see long term agreements coming in as well, so you have these in place, like twenty twenty nine, twenty thirty, twenty thirty one, how do you know how to price an agreement today going that far into the future, It's.
Speaker 9: A really good question.
Speaker 8: We do have ltas in place locked in till twenty nine, We have customer demand. Customers are coming us to put ltas in place to support demand from twenty nine, thirty and thirty one. They have really good visibility in terms of the storage requirements that they need because they're looking at their entire AI infrastructure stack, everything.
Speaker 9: From GPUs, CPUs to.
Speaker 8: HBMS to storage, and they realize you have to take a much longer term time horizon in terms of how they plan.
Speaker 9: So we are working very closely with them.
Speaker 8: We're definitely locking in the sort of exerbyte supply that they need, but what we're working through with them is still the commercial construct or how we would price something further out into right.
Speaker 5: So let me look at it another way.
Speaker 4: Somebody comes to you and says, serving I'm a big customer and I want to lock you in till twenty thirty one. Why might you say no.
Speaker 8: Well, what we were saying, ed is if you need six hundred exobytes of storage in twenty thirty one, we will deliver that to you. How we actually price it. We're still in negotiations with them where we might have a base price for a percentage of that volume, and then atop tip pricing structure as we increase the capacity we deliver to them.
Speaker 4: I don't mean to trivialize this in any way, but you know, like it's the hard dis drive moment, you know, make hard dis drive great again. What's that been like for you to put the technology at the forefront of discussion at the moment?
Speaker 9: Well, it's really exciting.
Speaker 8: I mean, people thought that hard drives were a thing of the past, but it's shown to be a fundamental piece of the AI infrastructure. Steck with eighty percent of all storage in the cloud, and AI is continuing to recite and hard drives both today and going forward.
Speaker 9: So it's a very exciting time for us.
Speaker 8: It's a great challenge and I always tell my teams there's a great responsibility that we have to deliver to the industry to enable this once in a lifetime opportunity that AI is creating.
Speaker 5: So go back to the stock again.
Speaker 4: It's down about eight or nine percent right now, was down twenty one percent, its biggest drop on paper since December of two thousand a lot of the analysts are talking about your comparison against Seagate, what Seagate's doing on margin expansion, et cetera. You know, how would you answer those those analyst reports on how you are performing relative to your peer.
Speaker 8: Yeah, as I mentioned in the beginning, there'll always be quarter to quarter variations at you know, we were the first album one out for thirty two terabyte.
Speaker 9: We gain on them.
Speaker 8: They have a new platform coming out, so they're a bit of hit in terms of the exobyte storage they can deliver that drives cross margin expansion. We have the forty terabyte coming out in Q three of our fiscal year and we expect it by that period of time. Sorry, we have a forty terabyte out right now. It's going to cross fifty percent of all the bits with ship by fiscal Q three and that will.
Speaker 9: Give us another driver of exobitte growth.
Speaker 8: So this constant evolution of technology and the transition points that we introduce them will result in some time shifts in terms of results and performance.
Speaker 5: Right w dco eving ten back on Bloomberg Tech, Thank you very much.
Speaker 4: Indeed, Okay, coming up, we're going to stay with earnings and it's Figma, Pigma CEO didn't Field joins us this is Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 10: Time now for talking tech, I'm your hira anand first up. Deep Zeek says it prints a quote significant price hike for its AI products. While the changes weren't specified, the announcement is an unusual shift from the Chinese AI companies that haven't emphasized low cost models. Plus Metta's recently released muse Spark one point one breached an outside firm system and access the intranet drink cybersecurity testing. This comes just days after similar incidents from models by Open Ai and Anthropic, and Pigma CEO decided to forfeit forty six million dollars in company stock awards in an effort to ease investor concerns over AI. Dylan Field made the forfeiture voluntarily and no replacement awards were issued. Looking forward to the interview.
Speaker 5: Ed Yeah, thank you, Hira, Let's stick with Figma.
Speaker 4: It comes as the company reported it's second quarter sales and profits that exceeded analyst expectations. Shares are on track for their biggest drops since September, down seventeen percent or so. A lot of that is the guide for the third court of the current period. Figma CEO Dylan Field is with us. I think, you know, beyond the numbers themselves, Dylan, someone are looking at this and saying, well, there's lots of new Figma products. Is Dylan being conservative in guiding how those new products are showing up in the in the latter part of this year.
Speaker 5: Well, first of all, going to see you again and thanks for having me on.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean, I think that as we look at forecasting in general, our guidance does not always price in potential upside of efforts that have not proven themselves yet, and we tried to make sure that we guide based on what we can observe and what we did observe. This quarter was very strong revenue growth year over year, revenue grew by forty eight percent, and this is our third consecutive quarter of accelerated growth. It's also our first full quarter of IU modernization, and our NDR was about one thirty six percent. So overall, we felt very strong and we are very much investing for what's ahead.
Speaker 4: How are the customers behaving, like, what's the story in the fields that you sell your software into?
Speaker 11: Dylan, Yeah, I would say that customers have been on definitely a journey as they look to figure out how do we integrate AI into the workflow. And some of those customers that journey, they really understood where they're at and what they're doing even end of last year and we're doubling down on Figma. Then others, I think, have those maybe the early adopters, others have been working through that process of figuring it out throughout the last six months, and they're also coming back to double down on Figma fully. And I think that as workflows change, what we're trying to do is meet customers where they are.
Speaker 5: So what we see.
Speaker 11: Our customers sometimes starting with design, sometimes starting in code, and with our MCP, they can pull their work into Figma, or they can read from Figma to go build and more of that will be fully encompassed in the Figma workflow with our agents in the future.
Speaker 4: Dylan, A lot of people today are reading the story Pigma CEO four fits forty six million dollars in stock after share decline.
Speaker 5: What was your thinking on that?
Speaker 11: I did a while back, so it wasn't linked to yesterday, but yeah, I mean, look, dilution is something that I feel just like our shareholders feel and given that this is an investment period right now, that felt like the thing that made sense to do. And yeah, I mean mostly I've just been My entire head is in how do we invest for the future because we have so much we can grow right now?
Speaker 4: Is still trying to bail firms? Yes, we just have thirty seconds, Cinema. What are you most focused on building right now?
Speaker 5: I'm focused on a few things.
Speaker 11: First, our Figma Agent, making it so you can we already have this out, but gain that to monetization, and also making it so that we're able to serve customer needs and workflows better. Also focused on code layers, bringing code into the canvas and making it so that as code becomes more of a commodity. Design is the operating level and layer that you're able to work in in order to find with your team is doing and able to make it. Said, people build a great software from there, and I think that if we can capture that and make us the Figma Agent can support these worflows, then you'll be able to build out from the design layer. And from there, I think there's so much that's possible, and you can really have designers steering.
Speaker 4: Pigma CEO didn't feel back on Bloomberg Tech. Appreciate your time, Thank you very much. Indeed, coming up in the show, Sequoia partners Alfred Lynn and Pat Brady, the firm's latest leaders, the new titles of co stewards, join us. We're going to discuss what's changing at the firm, what the tech companies of tomorrow are, and what the future holds. This is Bloomberg Tech. Welcome back to Bloomberg Tech. Last November, longtime Sequoia partners Alfred Lin and Pac Grady became the firm's co stewards. For more than fifty years, the Silicon Valley firm has back some of the biggest winners in technology, from Apple and Google to Nvidia. Today it manages more than eighty billion dollars, but as detailed in Bloomberg Business Week, it recently raised another ten billion across its growth and expansion funds. Since then, the Sequoia partners have made a risk the franchise investment in Nanthropic, They've returned to investing in chips, and continue to hold onto one of the firm's greatest investments, SpaceX. With us now on Bloomberg Tech Alfred Lin and Pac Grady to discuss what's changing as Sequoia the technology companies of tomorrow. I want to start with our Sequoia. You published what reads to me is like a mission statement. It outlines principles of the firms held for quite a long time, and I think some new ones that you are trying to m for size.
Speaker 5: Alfred, is that fair?
Speaker 2: Well, First of all, thank you for having us.
Speaker 3: It's really fun to be here with my CoA Stewart, and we get to do this together.
Speaker 2: And it's because it's our Sequoia.
Speaker 7: It's not.
Speaker 3: It was never done Sequoia when he named it Sequoia Capital, and it wasn't any fifty four years ago, and so Pat and I wanted to make sure that everybody at Sequoia thought of it as our Sequoia.
Speaker 2: That's principal number one. Principal number two.
Speaker 3: If you take care of the founders, you will they'll do right by our LPs. We do right by LP's, we'll do right by Sequoia. We do right by Sequoia. We can take care of the team and then we can take care of every single person at Sequoia. That is principle. That is a principle that has been at Sequoia for a long, long period of time. And also, we are only as good as our next investment. And that is not a risk your franchise. It is what makes us.
Speaker 5: To quo the smile.
Speaker 4: When I read out the line, we will get into how that manifests. I mean they it's a close steward title. You regard yourselves as partners as part of a partnership. You are not managing partners. Correct you, As Sean McGuire outlined me in a telephone call, you know, you reject the notion that your boss is you are partners in a partnership, but to lots of people that like, how would that work?
Speaker 7: Well, so we first off on this boss thing.
Speaker 12: We had a funny conversation with one of our partners a couple of years ago. We're here, referred to somebody as a supervisor, Like, you're a supervisor? What are you talking about? He's like, well, here's my boss, he's my supervisor. Like no, no, no, no, no, this is a partnership. The only way that we're going to bring out the best in all of our partners is if it feels like a real partnership. So one of those principles that you mentioned with with our sequoia is this idea that influence should be awarded to expertise and reason and not too tenure in hierarchy. And what that means practically is, in any given conversation, if we're going to make an investment decision, Alfred and I might have less of they say, than our other partners like Sean or Andrew or Sonya or David or kind because they might actually have more expertise on a particular topic than I do. In fact, they have more expertise on most topics than we do. And so this idea that influencer go to the people with the expertise, not that people who happen to have been around for a long time. That's what makes it a partnership and that's what allows us to play at our best.
Speaker 5: There's no tie breaker.
Speaker 4: Essentially that you two get awarded you participate under the same rules as the rest of the partnership.
Speaker 5: Correct, I mean this with full respect.
Speaker 4: What does the term co steward communicate that any other title doesn't?
Speaker 5: You know why?
Speaker 4: I think you both don't want to get bogged down in administrative duties. You want to participate in the partnership.
Speaker 3: That's part of the reason why it gets to do this together, there's no and part of that is we are partners across the board and we get to help lead the organization. In part of leading the organization has to deal with making sure that we have structure and we signed SEC documents. A lot of it is administrative and we get to split that so that both of us can stay on the field.
Speaker 12: I try to make sure that Alfred signs all the SEC documents.
Speaker 2: But literally that this is the part that is really good about this. This is a partnership.
Speaker 3: We want to show the value of partnership and we wanted to be a team effort and not everybody has to do everything.
Speaker 7: And this idea of stewardship.
Speaker 12: If you go back to the original generational transition, which was in Don Valentine and handed the firm off to Dougleyoni and Michael Morritz in the late nineties, the standard at the time was to have the younger partners buy out the departing generation.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 12: Don instead gave it to them for free and said, your only job is to leave it better than you got it. And so that's become a very core part of the sequa continue that tradition, yes, this idea, that stewarding it for the next generation as opposed to there's no concept of ownership at Sequoia. All of the partners own the partnership together. Our job is to make it great.
Speaker 4: We're sitting here talking, but you know you're eight months in essentially as co stewards. But in that time quite a lot of things have happened. I want to get to what you've you've enacted or chained that's different in that eight month period to the history of the firm. And one of the things outlined in the Business Week article is if you are a partner that is interested in an investment, you can propose it anytime through a various meeting mechanism. So traditionally in Silicon Valley venture firms you have your Monday morning meetings. You guys have said basically seven days a week anytime.
Speaker 5: Wellt's talk about it's.
Speaker 2: Talk about like being a customer of SUS.
Speaker 5: We are through your customers exactly.
Speaker 3: It's founders, and so we should work on the founder's time frame. If the founder wants to make a raise of fundraising, they have a timeline we should abide by their timeline, not the other way around, right, And this notion that we get to like have every decision happen on a Monday is kind of a little backwards. Are we the customer to the founders where the founders are customers? And for us, we want to make sure we want to send a clear message that the founders are our customers and work smurts us.
Speaker 12: And there's a second concept here, which is outlier founders want to work with outlier people. And so our partner Rubb has this idea of playing free. You know, everybody should play free. And we don't want Luciano or Andrew or Constantine or Sean or David or Sony. We don't want them to become another Alfred or to become another path.
Speaker 7: We want them to be the best version of themselves.
Speaker 12: And the only way we can do that is if they feel like they can play free, like they have rope to just go at one hundred percent velocity all the time. And then our job is to help enable them not to get in the way.
Speaker 7: And so we.
Speaker 12: Are tight on principles, and we are tight on values. We're very flexible on process.
Speaker 4: So some people that might sound chaotic, just it literally is. How does it work mechanically? Somebody will send a WhatsApp to the rest of the partner saying, guys, got a great up. We have to meet now and talk about it. And what happens.
Speaker 12: A couple of days ago, an email came out recommending an investment, controversial investment. We go into a document. There's a lot of commentary in the document. Here's what's good, here's what's bad. Here's what I like, Here's what I don't like. What are we going to do? We had six people on Red Eyes to New York a couple of nights ago.
Speaker 5: We spend next week. This this a week day, and I'm.
Speaker 12: Back Tuesday night. We had six people on Red Eyes to New York. Randomly were on five different planes. I don't know why we took five different planes to get to New York.
Speaker 5: But he was a spur of the moment decision.
Speaker 12: It was a spur of the moment thing. We spent two hours of the company yesterday morning. Yesterday afternoon we signed a term sheet. So gag tackle get everybody in.
Speaker 5: Front of Juicy bound to ask you which company? Oh, I know, I'm sure you would, but yeah, and the answer is I don't comment.
Speaker 12: Company probably a monster, probably one that's going to be huge.
Speaker 5: Was it a big check? As in the stakes? Will hi?
Speaker 2: Come on now?
Speaker 12: Hang on our jobs the smallest possible dollars for the largest possible or there is so much.
Speaker 3: Job is to put small dollars some work and make them large dollars.
Speaker 4: There is some case studies we're going to get to you later in this conversation that would say slightly otherwise, let me ask you this.
Speaker 5: Let me say ask you this.
Speaker 7: We could do the big dollars if we have to.
Speaker 4: Conviction over consensus. So in lots of partnerships, be there aventure firm or law firm. You know you vote, yeah, your structure is very different. Things are not achieved by consensus. How does it work?
Speaker 5: We vote?
Speaker 3: But the point about conviction is that it's unique conviction to be committed for a company for a long period of time. We love building companies and helping founders build companies. We want to be an early believer and compound with them into the future. And that requires real conviction by the person who has the most expertise. And so when we debate, we are trying to get to truth. We are a truth seeking organization, and there's much better conversation where there's a debate than when everybody is oh, yeah, I agree, and then it's it's usually a met investment.
Speaker 12: And let me give you an example on that stage. Twenty nineteen. Okay, twenty nineteen, Shah Maguire joins Sequoia Capital. Yes, he joins the early stage team. Okay, twenty nineteen, Zoom had just gone public. We just got into business with Dylan Field of Figma.
Speaker 7: Who I know, I guess.
Speaker 12: Just on the combined market caps of Tesla and Nvidia were approximately the same as the market cap of Salesforce. So to set the stage in twenty nineteen, the thing on the menu was software. Yes, software was consensus. We love software, every we love software. Sean, a brand new early stage investor, shows up and says, I think we should invest in a rocket company at twenty billion. We thought that was insane, but Sean had conviction. He had done the work. He painted the picture. This is pre star Link, right, This is when it was a launch company and the main customer was the government.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 12: Sean painted the picture of what this thing had a chance to become, and it's become one of the best investments talking about SpaceX, and so that was that was SpaceX. Yeah, so that was that was conviction at work. That was twenty nineteen.
Speaker 4: But what I'm trying to get to is the idea that in any number of voting partners, the majority might say I have a lower conviction, I have a four.
Speaker 5: You guys don't on a scale zerias ten.
Speaker 4: You don't count five, but just two might say we are eight, soor we had nine.
Speaker 2: We love those kinds of investines, and you.
Speaker 5: Do with the investments.
Speaker 12: We've been recording the data since twenty fourteen, so we now have twelve thirteen years of data on this. And we thought that contentious investments would actually be the best investments. And it turns out it actually doesn't matter whether it's contentious or consensus. Yes, all that matters is presence of conviction.
Speaker 4: I want to get to Sean because it's outlined in the BusinessWeek article, and Sean has been on this program and I've spoken to him somewhat regularly.
Speaker 5: Right. The idea is that.
Speaker 4: Sean has made, let's say, in cendiury posts on social media. He has said things that are divisive, but you regard him as being unique, right. He has a unique background and set of interests that you believe put Sequoya into opportunities that you would not otherwise have. I don't want to speak on your behalf, but you know, let's talk about that.
Speaker 3: I think we should just talk about the balance sheet of Sharan like a lots of.
Speaker 2: The balance sheet of Sean, the positives and negatives.
Speaker 3: I see you just about a bunch of negatives, and I just want to make sure that people understand the pauses. The guys was one of the top ten counter strike gamers when he was in high school. He was a day trader in high school. He then went and got a PhD in physics in quantum theory. Much if you took regard physics is hard, quantum theory is one of the hardest. He when he joined Sequoia, he put together a hardware manifesto. He led us into hardware. He led us into SpaceX with a lot of conviction and a lot of courage because there was there was votes by GPS that was a one on scale of ton it was a one, and he.
Speaker 2: Kept pushing and pushing him. He was a ten out of ten.
Speaker 7: And that has to be the zero or attend okay, really binary.
Speaker 3: Very binary person. And so you know, in terms of conviction, he has strong conviction. He's been right a lot. He helped let us into crypto. And I don't want to talk just about the negatives because I think people need to understand the.
Speaker 4: SpaceX is one of the biggest returns that this firm in its history.
Speaker 12: And I also go back to the thing we're talking about earlier. We want everybody to become the best version of themselves. Now again, we are strict on values and principles, and so we need to believe that when people behave they're doing so with the best possible intentions, and they're doing so with a standard of excellence that we expect of all of our partners. If they are doing that, and if we happen to agree or disagree with the output, the agreement of the disagreement doesn't necessarily matter.
Speaker 7: It's the inputs that we tend to focus.
Speaker 4: I would say for the record that you know Sean told me that he would not work anywhere else, and you know he believes in the principles that you outlined. Also that you know his belief is that his intentions were never to have a net harmful effect on the.
Speaker 3: First His intentions are always pure, and that's another thing I was going to mention. But he also has great courage.
Speaker 2: There's conviction.
Speaker 3: There's people with conviction and they don't have courage, and yeah, you can talk all day long and then you don't sort of make the investment when you push.
Speaker 4: The discourage look like, what's the action that you're looking for the partners to take.
Speaker 3: If you have a GP and you're not a GP and there's a vote of a one by a GP, but you still keep pushing forward, that is courage. You're willing to get fired for something that you believe is going to be a great investment and that turns out to be one of the best investments that's in Sequiah history.
Speaker 12: We have a list that we keep of all the different failure modes that we can run into on investments, and there are forty or fifty of them, one of which is called wimpy sponsor. Wimpy sponsor is you say you love something and then you get a know and you just go away.
Speaker 7: You just won't.
Speaker 12: You probably didn't love it. If you got one no and you went away. If you actually love it. You're going to keep pushing and keep pushing, and keep pushing and keep pushing and keep pushing.
Speaker 7: And that's what courage looks like.
Speaker 4: I want to get some of the investments you have made. So what we're going to do is take a quick break. We'll be right back with Scoy Partners, Alfred Lyne and Pat Brady, and we'll talk about the big one, which was anthropic.
Speaker 5: This is blon bag Tech.
Speaker 4: We're back with Sequoiet Partners and CoA Stewards Alfred Lynn and Pat Grady. I'd like to talk about the anthropic investment. It's detailed in the BusinessWeek article, but essentially it was something a bit new. It was an example of risk or franchise risk or risking the franchise. Where should we start with what happened? I mean, you were, along with Sonya right at the sponsor on that opportunity.
Speaker 3: So there have been multiple sponsors of this. We work as a team. There are no multiple sponsors on the company. Ravi had sponsored it for a period one round, Sonya had sponsored it with him for another round, and then we kept passing. Part of it was because we wanted to sort of be We were early investors in open Ai, and we thought, well, we can invest in both, and for a period of time that was our mode until we checked with all of our founders and they were using both companies.
Speaker 5: And they were using the technologies of both.
Speaker 7: Both for different things exactly.
Speaker 3: And so obviously open Ai started with the consumer app and finding information and Anthropic had cloud code and it was much much more focused on coding.
Speaker 2: And so over time we got greater and greater conviction.
Speaker 3: Our own our own engineering team was telling us how good the.
Speaker 2: Clock co product was working.
Speaker 3: So we gained more and more conviction over time that we should make an investment in Anthropic on this billion dollar round, this last round that we made an investment. It came together because we had just been following the company, and three months before we had made an investment in the company.
Speaker 5: That was January of this year, yes, yeah.
Speaker 3: It was actually November and then it was closing, yeah, And so we've been following the company. The revenue ramp continues to grow up, and we decided that we're going to make a fairly large investment in this round.
Speaker 5: Investment initially was a billion but.
Speaker 3: That ideagional recommendation by Sonya and I that we invest a billion, and we were like, where we're going to get the money, Well, we have plenty of places we can invest from, right, And I was pleasantly surprised, first with a call from Sean and then a call from Pat, and then in the in the room, we started with a number that I thought was like, huh, interesting, where we're going to get that number from?
Speaker 9: Right?
Speaker 2: And the number started at five billion.
Speaker 4: And then you work backwards, then, yes, to come in and explain your takeout on the events that transpired.
Speaker 12: Well, I mean the simple, the simple explanation for the investment is, this is the tectonic shift of our lifetime. In a perfect world, we would have backed the Tropic many years ago. We didn't, and so the best thing we can do now is to come in at the most scale that we can muster. And so five billion was kind of a theoretical number mentioned to be provocative. We ended up in two and a half because we can't really do a five billion across all of our different funds, and so two and a half is kind of the most we can do.
Speaker 4: And that's sort of how is it fair to go as far as to say, like how much money can we deploy without putting the firm at risk.
Speaker 12: That was part of the conversation. Two and a half or five would be comfortable numbers as far as that goes. But one thing we've never done SPVs. We're not in this SPV business where you speak for something I think we have.
Speaker 5: Not time today to talk about it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so we don't do that stuff.
Speaker 12: And so two and a half billion was what we could do out of the core funds committed capital.
Speaker 4: Let me ask you this or give some background growth early stage. Since twenty seventeen, you've led the growth co led, you've co led early stage, but you SaaS consumer. But there's a lot of overlap, right, you have made significant growth stage investments and join boards. You've made early stage investments, particularly in AI. Just talk a little bit about how the two of you see that progressing, you know, forward looking.
Speaker 3: I think it's very very simple, which is like, if you in this business long period of time, you know what a good early stage investment looks like. You know what a good growth investment looks like. So Pat has been traditionally a growth investor. He made the early investment in Harvey. I've I've seen how early stage companies grow and advocated for growth investments in Airbnb and DoorDash when.
Speaker 2: They grew up, and over time.
Speaker 3: I think if you've been in this business long enough, you'll make both early investments and growth in that. Since we have Constantine that champion Citadel Securities and Waymo, we have, we talked about Sean, we have, we have David that is invested in a neo lab that's relatively early. We have Sonya who's recently sort of flew with me to uh to London to advocate for the investment in Flable. So these are this Our team is much more fluid, and we don't just going back to like most of our partners don't like being.
Speaker 2: Put in a box. We don't want none of us want to be.
Speaker 4: You also regard the partner's sorry, Pats to interrupt you to say that these partners, if you stack them up against any venture firm in the world, they would be in the top ten of the list of partners all the time.
Speaker 12: I genuinely believe that we have the best partners in the world. If Alfroma got hit by a bus and we'd be fine. If whoever came next got hit by a bus, we'd still be fine, right, But this idea of being able to go beyond early in the growth growth in an early consumer in the enterprise, enterprise and a consumer. I think one of the things you realize over time is that there are two core primitives in our business. It's people on markets. And if you develop a good understanding of what outlier potential looks like in a person, and if you develop a good understanding of where a market has a chance to go, over time, those two ingredients kind of transcend the stage at which you happen to intersect that company. And so that's what we see out of the folks on our at Sequoia. You know, as they progress, they can kind of go across stages.
Speaker 5: I have to ask you both.
Speaker 4: Bloomberg reported this week that Sequoia was one of the firms approached by Situational NS as they tried in the reporting to offload some private stakes. You know, we've seen what's happened in public markets. An opportunity to comment on that and how you see the situation, it.
Speaker 12: Would be delighted to comment on that. We were aware of that situation, and it has been reported that we were talking with them about the anthropic stake. You know, King Griffin showed up with what was a better solution for Leopold at that moment in time, then he went with the better solution. I think that our observation is that there is this game on the field over the last couple of years investing the AI supply chain, Leopold is one of the first people to recognize that that was the game on the field, and on balance, he played it pretty darn well. And so our suspicion is that he's going to be a fixture in Silicon Valley for a long time to come.
Speaker 4: I wanted to get to the ballot case study we've so it's been about short on ahead.
Speaker 2: On situation awareness.
Speaker 3: He did just wire four hundred million dollars to a company that we invested in, so.
Speaker 4: Oh could you we actually report did on the four hundred minion, but I haven't got clue the company.
Speaker 2: Is Yeah, no comment on that.
Speaker 7: But he's not a good one.
Speaker 2: He's not. He's going to be. He's really good. He's going to be around.
Speaker 4: We just have sadly two and a half minutes. I found what happened with valo Atonics really interesting. Again, we're going over history, but which you just kind of explain how that happened. Sean was the sponsor, he made a really big proposal.
Speaker 12: Then what happened, Well, we have a partner named Liam Corgan who joined us just six months or so ago. Liam physics undergrad at Harvard, happens to be an Olympic gold medalist, but he actually came from the nuclear industry before joining Sequoia. And so we have this person in Liam, who understands the market to a great degree of detail. And then we have this partner in Sean Physics PhD. As Alfred mentioned, who deeply, deeply, deeply understands the technology. So the two of them together were working on this investment. And generally speaking, things that have multiple layers of technical risk remaining with a business model that is many years in the future, those are scary investments, right, and so we're happy to take risk, but usually we do so with smaller check sizes. And so when the recommendation came out for a three hundred million dollars investment, you know, some eyes popped out of some skulls and I said, boy, that seems like a lot of money for a company with this much risk in it. But Shawn and Liam made the case. We decided to get on a plane.
Speaker 4: We went to you go on a plane Outfred, you were in New York, right security coordinating.
Speaker 12: Yeah, a few of us got on a plane. We went to visit them. We spent the whole day with them. We got to know Isaiah and his team. Isaiah is truly a one of one force of nature, exceptional founder who are now delighted to be in business with. I think we started to appreciate exactly how many of the different pieces they've put together, how novel their approaches, and how well they're executing. And at the end of the day, like Shawn and Liam, we think they are right and we rode with their conviction.
Speaker 4: We have that she thirty seconds and I'm sorry to do this to you, but let's end it with your White Swan memo.
Speaker 5: What the tides would be a p to west one.
Speaker 3: I just think that there is a lot of negativity around AI and it's really just misplaced. So if we have a teconic shift in AI, we have a technic shift in hardware, tectonicish shifts and sammis, we have a tectonic shift and industrialization of America the future is very bright, and if I had to write a memo today, it would be a white Swan memo, not a Black Swan memo.
Speaker 4: Sequoia Partners, Alfred Lynn, Pat Grady, thank you both very much. Thank you for sending conversation. That's it for this edition of Bloomberg Tech. One last look at shares of Google Alphabet drew about one hundred and fifteen billion dollars of orders for a twenty five billion dollar debt offering. There's also the background of those departures we covered twenty four hours ago. Recap all of that on the podcast You know where to find it, Beautiful day here in San Francisco.
Speaker 5: This is Wimberg Tech