Speaker 1: M hmmm.
Speaker 2: I knew that Anna was looking for a way out of her life in LA before coming to the island, just like I've been looking for a way out of my life in New York.
Speaker 3: Mm hmmm mmmm, that's nice.
Speaker 4: Hmmm.
Speaker 5: I didn't ask you, just give me what I need.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, I thought Marcus was the ex that had Anna on the run, but she'd actually been trying to escape Jordan.
Speaker 5: Be serious, after all the business have sent your way. You gotta over like this.
Speaker 6: No, I'm good for it.
Speaker 5: Man, Who do you think you are?
Speaker 3: Hey, what's going on? Everything?
Speaker 5: Use that time with me? You could be so fucking condescending.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I just you just seem upset.
Speaker 5: I upset. But Plug's being an asshole?
Speaker 3: Why do you still owe him?
Speaker 1: Or he's saying he can't get my ship before the weekend apparently supplies a fucked up.
Speaker 3: Oh well, I mean, I guess it's probably best not to risk it.
Speaker 5: Then, right, are you trying to tell me what to do?
Speaker 3: No, I'm saying I think that.
Speaker 5: Your thoughts to yourself.
Speaker 3: Okay, please just back up what.
Speaker 5: You have a friend to leave again, go right ahead. You can't sell your songs without my contacts.
Speaker 3: And without my songs, you'd have funck all to sell. I'm the only thing keeping you in the black Jordan, and we both know it. I'm sorry I shouldn't have.
Speaker 1: What's you just keep when you're mad? Without my songs to fuck all to sell? You should be grateful for you ten percent. No, every producer would be that general said.
Speaker 6: He you know.
Speaker 3: About that?
Speaker 5: This doesn't sound.
Speaker 1: Like the start of conversation I want to have.
Speaker 3: I need to take out some money for what.
Speaker 5: Don't I give you everything you need? Babe?
Speaker 3: Well I heard from some event producers that are putting on a memorial concert for my mom, and I want me to perform. Did you hear a word?
Speaker 5: I just said, hold on, test my backup? What the fuck are you talking about?
Speaker 3: I just need some money to book a flight, or you could let me take it out myself and see.
Speaker 1: This is why it's better that I handle your finances. If I left you to your devices, you'd have blown more vacations.
Speaker 3: This wouldn't be a vacation. It would be a way to honor my mom say goodbye.
Speaker 1: It would be a distraction. You better call those producers and telling you can't make it.
Speaker 3: But I want to do it.
Speaker 5: You're not a performer, honor.
Speaker 1: How many times you have to tell you you're just embarrass yourself.
Speaker 3: I don't think you're worried about me embarrassing myself, Jordan.
Speaker 5: Have you questioned my mercis now?
Speaker 3: I have been for a while. Yeah? Is there even anything between us other than a business arrangement? Was there ever? Or have you always just kept me around to exploit my talents?
Speaker 5: It fol's so terrible for the fuck you're still doing here.
Speaker 3: I really don't know anymore. It sure as hell not for you.
Speaker 5: Get out the fuck us.
Speaker 2: By the time I was a teenager, I had learned that the people I love most were destined to get hurt. But Anna has spent her entire life learning that she was destined to get hurt by the people.
Speaker 4: That she loved most.
Speaker 2: Well, let me tell you, I wouldn't wish either of those curses on anybody.
Speaker 3: That's all Dan, And I'm just here to get my things. Hello Jordan, Hello Jordan, Jordan, what are you? Oh my god?
Speaker 7: Fuck?
Speaker 5: Was it cut?
Speaker 3: What's something I told you not to mess with this? Just hold on, I'll call nine one one?
Speaker 7: What Hello?
Speaker 3: Anyone there?
Speaker 8: Underwater?
Speaker 6: Episode seven.
Speaker 8: The fallout.
Speaker 6: Damn you were not an easy man to get alan.
Speaker 4: Are you mana teo?
Speaker 5: What you doing here?
Speaker 9: You?
Speaker 6: Calm down, Calm down, I just wanna talk.
Speaker 4: You can get back here. You pay off them guards or something.
Speaker 6: You think I'm gonna jump you as you could try. I work here, Nico.
Speaker 4: You a cop? Why you ain't say something?
Speaker 9: Because I haven't gotten second alone with you since you got back. I figured i'd come take advantage of a captive audience, but she wants a word first.
Speaker 4: You're here?
Speaker 3: Where else would I be?
Speaker 4: Honestly thought I was never gonna see you again.
Speaker 3: I'm not here to see you. I'm here to figure out what the hell just happened at my concert and ego.
Speaker 4: Oh no, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: You need to tell me exactly what's going on with you and my dad. How do you even know him?
Speaker 4: He's my boss.
Speaker 2: I've worked for him ever since I was a kid, and he's.
Speaker 4: The reason why I got off the island.
Speaker 2: Boss.
Speaker 3: Okay, so coming down to the island was part of your job?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: And what was the plan?
Speaker 5: Huh?
Speaker 3: What was my dad paying you to do here? The least you can do is answer me, Niko.
Speaker 4: He wanted me to find you and get you to come back to New York.
Speaker 3: Why did he want me back?
Speaker 8: That?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: So all of this, everything that's happened between us, it's.
Speaker 7: All just been No.
Speaker 3: You just said.
Speaker 2: It started off as a job, I'll admit, but then I got to know you and there was no way I was sending you back.
Speaker 3: How am I supposed to believe anything you say to me?
Speaker 5: Nico?
Speaker 4: You have to trust me.
Speaker 3: You just spent the last three is lying to me at every turn. You manipulated me. You even slept with me to keep me under your.
Speaker 7: That had nothing to do with it.
Speaker 3: You're not the first man who's pulled this shit on me, but you sure as hell will be the last.
Speaker 4: Oh no, I really am sorry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, maybe that's true and it doesn't matter.
Speaker 6: Wow, that was brutal.
Speaker 4: I deserved it.
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, it's better.
Speaker 2: That she doesn't want anything to do with me anyway. The best thing I can do for is to stay as far away as possible.
Speaker 6: What are you talking about?
Speaker 4: I think I'm in love with her. If I want to keep us safe, I need to walk away and never look back.
Speaker 9: And for all the bron you've got, absolutely no brains to you you're talking about.
Speaker 6: You're about to do the exact same thing to her that you did to me.
Speaker 4: What try and save you?
Speaker 6: No abandon her, Maddie.
Speaker 2: After what happened to allives, I had to get myself out of here. If I stayed, I would have just gotten.
Speaker 4: You killed too.
Speaker 6: You didn't get a lion's killed.
Speaker 4: Of course I did. It was my idea to try to hit up those tours, and.
Speaker 9: They're the ones that shot him. Man, I don't blame you for that. What I do blame you for is running off on me. You were the only brother.
Speaker 6: I had left. I was trying to protect you, but by leaving me behind.
Speaker 4: I'm not safe to keep around. You were better off without me?
Speaker 6: Well I beg to different, man, I be honort would too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm not so sure.
Speaker 6: Well then take it from someone who's been in her place before.
Speaker 2: From where Elmstead, it looks like you did just fine without me.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, sure, I survived, made something of myself, but it was a hell of a lot lonelier than it needed to be.
Speaker 6: You're free to go from now.
Speaker 9: FBIS are not pressing charges tonight, but you're still a person of interest, So stay close.
Speaker 6: You understand me?
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, officer, She's got every right to.
Speaker 6: Be mad at you. Man.
Speaker 9: At least you could do is give her a chance to forgive you. Now, if I could, anyone can.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think about it. I'm gonna tell you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, thank you of course.
Speaker 5: Bro mm hmmmh m.
Speaker 3: Ha huh, Lord loads come fear in.
Speaker 5: Every portion, Wetsy. Lord knows.
Speaker 4: On then.
Speaker 2: And I may have already had it out, but there was still somebody that I needed to clear the airwork.
Speaker 4: Hey the Hi, who are you? My name is Nico. I'm looking for Diego. Are you his little sisters?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I'm Mia.
Speaker 3: This is how What was that for?
Speaker 6: You can't just run your mouth to anyone who shows up at the door.
Speaker 10: She's got a point, Diego, somebody named Nico is here to see you and come.
Speaker 8: And hit me.
Speaker 3: You were such a snitch.
Speaker 5: What did I say about hand to hand combat before bed?
Speaker 11: Nico?
Speaker 4: Hey, hey, man, you're all right. I thought you were a gunnery. That makes the two of us.
Speaker 11: Hey, why don't you do go watch TV?
Speaker 7: That you said?
Speaker 5: It is bedtime?
Speaker 11: This is a special occasion. Okay. Me and Nico got a lot to catch up on. Come on.
Speaker 12: I'm sure you could use a drink after the day you've had. I appreciate it, you know it. Look, I'm sorry I got you mixed up with Marcus. If anything happened to you, I don't know what, but it didn't. Okay, I'm still here to take care of me and Carmen, and that's the most important thing.
Speaker 13: I know.
Speaker 12: You wouldn't have put me in that situation on purpose. You've got too good of a.
Speaker 4: Heart for that. Yeah.
Speaker 12: Some people keep telling me, Well, you don't believe them, I mean, would you? So what happens now?
Speaker 2: I should just get on the plane, blow off the fast, leave Marcus to fit inf his goddamn self, even if it means I'll spend the rest of my life looking.
Speaker 4: Over my shoulder.
Speaker 11: What about Honor.
Speaker 4: I wish I could make things right, but I know it's better to just let her go.
Speaker 11: Better for who.
Speaker 12: I know you feel it's for the best cutting her loose. But I think you're gonna regret it.
Speaker 4: I got plenty of regrets. What's one more? Mind? If I lay down somewhere fucking beat.
Speaker 11: Of course, there's a hammock out in the backyard. Go take a load off.
Speaker 4: Thanks, man.
Speaker 2: For better or worse. Diggo decided to go roll. As soon as I was out of sight, he called the hotel.
Speaker 5: Hello, I'm miss Thompson.
Speaker 3: I mean anna, Diego. How did you get my number?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 14: I called the resort and asked to be connected to your room.
Speaker 4: I just really have to talk to.
Speaker 5: You, please.
Speaker 3: What's going on? Are you okay?
Speaker 4: I'm fine?
Speaker 14: Yeah, but Nikos.
Speaker 3: I really don't want to hear about him.
Speaker 14: Look, I know you're mad, but he's at my place. If you came and talked it out, I know you could fix this. And you know what they always say, the course of true love never did run.
Speaker 3: Smooth, Diego. He made me believe he cared about me so he could turn me over to my estranged asshole of a father. That sounds like true love to you.
Speaker 13: I know what he did.
Speaker 5: It was fucked, but I just don't think he was making it up.
Speaker 6: I can't believe that he was ever going to truly double cross you.
Speaker 3: I wish I could believe that. Good Night, Diego.
Speaker 5: Wait, I just wanted to.
Speaker 3: We could leave together the second my concert is over tonight. We could just get on a place.
Speaker 4: It's gonna work.
Speaker 7: We can't why not?
Speaker 8: Why not?
Speaker 3: There's nothing for me back in LA. I mean maybe I could come back to New York with you.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, wherever you go from here, don't let it be New York.
Speaker 4: Don't let it be please.
Speaker 5: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: I was just about to drift off at Diego's when she showed up. For a second, I wasn't sure if I was awake of dreaming, what are you doing here?
Speaker 3: I had to see you?
Speaker 4: How'd you find me?
Speaker 3: Diego called? Yeah, it's quite the loyal wing man you've got. Yeah, he is a real You really weren't going to bring me back to New York, were you?
Speaker 4: No? I wasn't.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry I doubted you.
Speaker 4: You don't have anything to be sorry about. I wouldn't trust me either.
Speaker 3: It's my dad. I don't trust, well, not exactly on the best terms.
Speaker 2: If you couldn't tell, Yeah, there's a lot of bad blood for two people who are actually blood.
Speaker 4: Can I ask what happened?
Speaker 3: How long have you got?
Speaker 4: As long as it takes?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I hardly ever saw the guy, but he still managed to control my life, Sanderin. He was the reason we moved to New York. My mom gave up everything she had here on the island so I could have a relationship with my dad.
Speaker 7: Good to see you, kiddo, and I get you one of these.
Speaker 3: You do know I'm still nineteen, right, and he still couldn't be bothered.
Speaker 15: I didn't realize raised such a stickler for the rules. You didn't shooting the killer.
Speaker 3: Uh, just talking it like it is. It's not like my mom and I ever wanted anything from him. She had her own money. We were doing fine.
Speaker 15: So what are you doing down here? Other than busting my boss?
Speaker 3: I wanted to give you something. There's only one thing I ever asked of him when I was younger.
Speaker 8: Oh did you.
Speaker 7: Make me a mixed CV kinda?
Speaker 3: It's a demo. It's my demo, honor.
Speaker 7: I thought I made myself clear.
Speaker 3: Well, if you'd listen to my demo.
Speaker 7: If you want to ruin your life by going after a music career, you can do it on your own. I'm not gonna have that on my conscience.
Speaker 3: Now, you grow a conscience just in time to completely take my career.
Speaker 7: You don't have a career. You're nineteen.
Speaker 3: I could have a career if you'd lift a finger to help me. Plenty of singer songwriters have the first albums out before there my age.
Speaker 15: Yeah, and do they seem like healthy, well adjusted people to you?
Speaker 3: Mom put her first album out when she was younger than I am, so I risked my case. Don't talk about her like that. You don't have any right to judge her.
Speaker 7: Don't jump down my throat.
Speaker 4: Jesus, I really do take it after her.
Speaker 15: Your mom knows what getting started too young in this business can do to a person, and I've seen it enough to back that up. If you come to your senses and pursue a career that isn't going to chew you up and spit you out, I promise you my full support.
Speaker 3: Oh, because you're so great at keeping your promises.
Speaker 15: Right, I gotta tell you, I'm getting a little tired of this attitude.
Speaker 3: If you call me young lady, I swear.
Speaker 7: What exactly do you want from me? Here?
Speaker 15: You get pissed at me for try and act like your dad, and pissed at me when I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't want you to act like my dad. I want you to beat my dad.
Speaker 7: I don't know what that means.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no shit, Marcus, Yeah, just forget it. I don't know why I even bothered coming down here.
Speaker 7: If you want to stop acting like a child, we can talk about this.
Speaker 3: I have nothing to say to you. And that was the last time we saw each other before tonight.
Speaker 4: That is, I'm sorry. I so fucked up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I shouldn't complain knowing what happened to your parents.
Speaker 4: Don't do that. Pain is pain.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it certainly is. I wasn't going to give up that easy, though. I started sending my songs to every producer in LA, praying that someone would bite. That's how I met my ex Jordan.
Speaker 4: He's who you're running from.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I should have known he was bad news when he offered to fly me out to LA just after hearing my demo. But I was a kid. I didn't know any better, and once I was out there with him, I just I never left. Before I knew it, I was living with him, writing songs for him, letting him control my career, my money, my whole life.
Speaker 4: I thought you were letting him do any of that shit.
Speaker 3: No, I suppose not. But Jordan never wanted me to be a performer. He just wanted me to keep writing songs he could sell.
Speaker 4: Wait, he was taking your money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was generous enough to give me a ten percent cut. Of course, he kept it in an account I wasn't allowed to access without his permission. He wouldn't even tell me which bank he'd opened the account at. He was that paranoid about giving me control over my own goddamn money. What's that look?
Speaker 2: Sorry, this is hard for me to wrap my head around you being in that situation.
Speaker 4: You're strong as hell.
Speaker 3: Plenty of strong people have ended up in situations like that, Nico, more than you'd ever imagine. It didn't happen overnight. In the beginning. I love Jordan. I mean I practically grew up with him. I trusted him with my life, which is why he knew exactly how to take it away from me. And when I finally realized how bad things had gotten, I tailed him to the bank to figure out where he was keeping my money, and I emptied that whole account to come down here. That's how I've been footing the bill here at Dustino.
Speaker 4: So why did he change his tone?
Speaker 3: He didn't. Just before I left, I came home to our apartment after a fight, and I found him ode.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was about to call for help, but instead I just left him there. I'm sure you must think that makes me a monster.
Speaker 4: Hey, he's the only monster in this story. He did what you had to do.
Speaker 3: I don't think you'd see it that way. But I can't go back, not after tonight, being up there in front of the crowd, actually sharing my music. Now that I've had it, I'm not giving that up for anything.
Speaker 4: No, You're born to be up there. He can't keep you from that. You deserve everything that you want.
Speaker 3: There's only one thing I want right now, Nico.
Speaker 4: You don't want the shit that comes with being with me.
Speaker 3: That's for me to say.
Speaker 4: Please, I'm still trying to protect you from what from me. Everybody that I've ever cared about it gets hurt.
Speaker 3: So you do care about me.
Speaker 4: Of course I care about you.
Speaker 3: And look at that I'm still here. That's the thing about curses, They're made to be broken.
Speaker 4: I need you to know that I do anything to keep you safe. Promise, I promise.
Speaker 3: God did we fall asleep by Niko Nko?
Speaker 7: You have one you.
Speaker 4: Good morning, beautiful. By the time you get this, I'll already be gone.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 4: No, thank you for coming to see me last night.
Speaker 15: You know.
Speaker 6: It met everything.
Speaker 4: Having those last moments with you.
Speaker 2: But I promise you that I do anything to keep you safe, even if it's the last thing in the world that I want to do. Right now, that means walking away from you. Now, you gotta promise me that you'll let me go. And maybe you're right, Maybe the curse is all in my head. Maybe you could have been the one to finally break you. But I can't risk that now. I can't risk you for what it's worth. I do love you. I hope one day you understand. That's why I have to do this. Take care of yourself.
Speaker 12: Okay, Hey, love birds, I've got some coffee going if you want.
Speaker 11: Where's Nico?
Speaker 3: He's gone and it's over.
Speaker 6: Do you go?
Speaker 12: What is it, Honor?
Speaker 3: Can you take me home?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, of course.
Speaker 10: You're better off alone. You're better off alone. I don't want to live without your baby.
Speaker 6: Ms Thompson.
Speaker 7: I heard your concert yesterday was quite the triumph.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you, Sebastian. It was something, all.
Speaker 6: Right, Well, enjoy the rest of your day, You've earned it.
Speaker 3: I will, but I think this will be my last night here.
Speaker 6: Oh you're checking out?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's time, of course.
Speaker 6: But we'll be sad.
Speaker 3: To see you go here?
Speaker 13: Well, come see me tomorrow and I'll get you all squared away till then.
Speaker 1: Hi Anna, miss me Jordan, how'd you like to walk down here when no one else is around?
Speaker 2: You?
Speaker 11: Mind?
Speaker 5: If I join you?
Speaker 10: You better off alone? You're better off better. You'd probably thank you fucking crazy, but you better off the better off.
Speaker 13: Underwater is an Interval Presents original production with Temple Hill Entertainment and Clamor, starring Jason Derulo and Alexandra Shipp. Written by Katrina Day, directed by Pat Kelly and Chris Kelly. Executive producer Jason Derulo, executive producers from Interval Presents, Alan Coy and Jay Kleinberg executive producers from Temple Hill Entertainment, Marty Bowen, Wick Godfrey and Alex Addison executive producers from Clamor. Rich Statter, Aaron Hilliard, Adam Reynolds and Alison Cheno. Executive produced by Katerina Day. Executive producer from Future History Frank Harris. Special thanks to Henry de Sources Marketing Lead Samara Still, Business development Lead Cheffy Ellen Sweg Meggie, and Operations lead Serriu. Post production audio services by Kelly and Kelly sound design and mixed by Paul Teteskini. Dialogue edited by Max Collins. Original music by Genevieve Vincent. Songs arranged by Genevieve Vincent. The cast includes Jason Derulo as Nico, Alexandra Ship as Anna, Carrie Alexander as bank teller and additional voices, Bo Bridgeland as Jordan, Michael Darry as credit reader and additional voices, Anisia Dubois Dahlia and Young Dahlia, Andrew Frankel as stranger in additional voices, Walter Gray the Fourth as male tourist and additional voices, Melissa Greenspan as female tourist and additional voices, Alice Hunter as Elena, Jeremy Jordan as Gabriel, Josh Keaton as Matteo, Taara Langela as female guest and additional voices, Jonathan Leon as Young Matteo, Donnis Leonard Junior as Elias Parker, James Logi as young boy, Emily Martinez as Carman, Michael McLoone as Marcus, Carlo Renata as bartender, John Carlos Sabagal as Diego, David Shatraw as male guest and additional voices Andre Siglutzo as Sebastian, Cameron, Jay Wright as Young Nico, and Hannah.
Speaker 4: Zamora as Mia.
Speaker 13: Produced by Lillian Holman, post produced by Justin Schoe and Lauren Berkovich. Associate producer Erica Lowe. Music supervision by Melanie Mitchell. Music clearances by Deborah Mannis Gardner DMG Clearances Incorporated. Audio engineered by Ian Fogerty and Ed mcintye at Gold Diggers, Brett Tuban at the Relic Room and Jordan Sweet at Chalice Recording Studio. Assistant engineered by Derek mcgroene and Amperorzerdi. Vocal coaching by Bianca Blush Atterbury. Casting by Marlice Gussenhauer, Sibby Kersch and Brentegata. Additional casting by Melissa Berger, Brennan, Salem Everett and Scott Forbes at CESD. Talent Script supervisor Tamara Black, Production supervisor Lizzie Sam Production coordinators Ethan Aronson and Sean Green, Productioniststince, Chelsea Perry, and Samara Malik. Additional special thanks to Riley Fulsom and Maxim Carlick. Underwater was recorded at Gold Diggers in Los Angeles.
Speaker 4: California.
Speaker 6: Chellis Recording Studio.
Speaker 13: In Los Angeles, California, in the Relic Room in New York, New York. Make sure to follow Underwater and listen on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Amazon Music, Sirius XM, or wherever you get your podcasts.