Speaker 1: Hi, gain everybody. I'm Dan Hord and thanks for downloading The Bengals Booth Podcast. The Keep On Running addition, as the Bengals look for their second straight win as they faced the Browns in Cleveland. Coming up, Chase Brown discusses his touchdown run that clinched last week's win and the fumble that preceded it. CBS sideline reporter Adde Kinkobwalla shares her thoughts on the Bengals as she gets ready to cover this week's game, and in our No The Faux segment, we'll get an in depth look at the Browns from Zach Jackson, who covers the team for The Athletic. The Bengals Booth Podcast is brought to you by pay Corps, Proud to be the Bengals official HR software provider, by Alta Fiber future proof Fiber Internet designed to elevate your home, business, and community to a new level, and by Kettering Health the best care for the best fans. Kettering Health is the official healthcare provider of the Bengals. Now here's quick reminder that you can have the latest edition of this podcast delivered write to your phone, tablet, or computer by subscribing wherever you get your podcasts. It's the greatest thing since The Wonder of Stevie podcast. I love Stevie Wonder, and if we play the you can only have five albums on a Desert Island game, one of my selections is definitely going to be Stevie's nineteen seventy six masterpiece Songs in the Key of Life. It's also cheating a bit because it's a double album. In any case, I'm currently listening to a podcast series called The Wonder of Stevie that focuses on a five year stretch when Stevie Wonder put out five of his greatest albums. Featured guests include Barack and Michelle Obama, Smokey Robinson, Dion Warwick, and many others. It's very well done. And the title of this podcast, Keep on Running, is a Stevie Wonder song. He sings it slightly better than I do. Now let's get to my first guest. The Cleveland Browns get running back Nick Chubb back this week from the gruesome knee injury he suffered in Week two last year. For his career, Chub averages five point twenty six yards per carry. That's second best in NFL history, behind Jamal Charles at five point three eight. Well, so far this year, Chase Brown has been even better than them. He's averaging five and a half yards per carry. Get I caught up with a twenty four year old this week.
Speaker 2: Chase.
Speaker 1: I interviewed you right after the game on Sunday night. You had just scored the clinching thirty yard touchdown run and you were not happy because you had fumbled on the previous plane it ruled out of bounds. It's been a few days. Have you let it go?
Speaker 2: Let it go?
Speaker 3: My mind's on Cleveland. Just got to be better in those situations. Got to protect the ball regardless of you know, how we finished.
Speaker 1: Was it meaningful to you that they went to you on the very next play? It was.
Speaker 3: It's something that I thought about after the game, just, you know, coach having that trust in me to you know, learn from my mistakes quickly and you know, flush that out and just focus on the next play.
Speaker 4: So it meant a lot.
Speaker 1: There's the Lambeau Leap, There's the jungle jump. I don't know what they call it at MetLife Stadium, but you jumped into the stands after that touchdown. Did you seek out Bengals fans? Did you know that there was a possibility? How did that go?
Speaker 3: I just well, I didn't know what I was gonna do when I first got in, but when I saw the first Bengals fan in the corner, I'm like, screw it, I'm going out. So I jumped up there, had a little bit of fun, and got right back down. But yeah, it was It was definitely a moment. Maybe we can tell it the Giant jump or something like that.
Speaker 1: Coach Taylor said on Monday that in retrospect, he would have asked the team to go down before scoring in order to run out the clock. Is that hard to do as a running back. I'm sure you would have done it, but you spend every waking moment trying to get into the end zone.
Speaker 3: Definitely just got another situation. We'll call that mud situation. So I mean, get the first down and get down. So in the future, definitely learn from that moment so we don't have to send the defense back out there. But yeah, I mean to finish the game on an explosive play. I'm not going to complain about that, but definitely could approach that situation. Smarter.
Speaker 1: We're visiting with Chase Brown. Through six games, your sixth in the NFL and yards per carry five point five yards per carry, nearly twenty percent of your runs have gone for ten or more yards. What do you think you've done well? What do you think you need to do better?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that's a huge shout out to the line. I mean they're crushing it up front, opening up these run lanes and I'm just taking advantage of what I'm seeing. So we just got to keep that rolling. Something that I could do better. We can just be more efficient, eliminate the negative runs and turn those into more efficient and positive games. So that's that's my thought process at this point.
Speaker 1: In season from the broadcast booth. Every time you get the ball, it feels like there's a chance you might go the distance. Is that how it feels on.
Speaker 3: The field, Definitely. I mean with with with the way that the tight ends and the on line seats are blocking, I mean, anything's possible on any run play. So for myself, I mean, I'm trying to put that put that ball in the paint every single time if I can. But I think the best is yet to come. Playing it more explosives in big place.
Speaker 1: You were miked up for sound in the Baltimore game. What's it like when you watch one of those segments back.
Speaker 3: I'm just having fun out there. There's so much build up, so much preparation that goes into every single week, and you know there's I just put a ton of focus and a ton of energy into that so when game day comes around, I can just go have fun like I was. When I watch it back, I'm like, yeah, I'm just having fun out there and enjoying my time.
Speaker 1: You kind a touchdown passing that game. We heard you excitedly say you wanted the ball because it was your first Joe Burrow touchdown ball. Did you get it?
Speaker 3: I do, I did my coach. I actually gave it to my coach and then he gave it back to me and said, give this to your son. So that's my plan with the ball. It's sitting in my apartment right now.
Speaker 1: What game balls or memorabilia have you saved over the years.
Speaker 3: Well, obviously that that reception and then my first touchdown from last year against the Colts. I've got framed with the jersey and the gloves, I think, but yeah, I have that and something that can hold on to forever.
Speaker 1: We're chatting to Chase Brown. You face the Cleveland Browns this week. I heard a couple of your teammates say earlier in the week that they think it's going to be the most physical game of the year. Is that the team's mindset?
Speaker 3: I agree? I mean it's a divisional game. Every divisional game is more physical than any other game. A side of that, they have a all the defense all round. I mean there's they don't really have a weakness. They have a crazy athlete at number six and then obviously Miles Garrett. So I mean taking care of those two guys and making taking advantage of our shots and just winning a man coverage. That's going to be the main thing going this week, and we just gotta go with there nexecute.
Speaker 1: They'll also have Nick Chubb back, one of the best to do it at your position. What do you admire and respect about Nick Chubb?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean just his his mindset. He came back from one hell of an injury, right, so just I know, his whole approach, in his whole mindset going into you know, everything between getting that injury and then coming back from an injury. I know there's a lot of work that goes into that, just talking with my brother and learning from him and seeing what he went through, so I know that he's probably hungry to be back and get on the field.
Speaker 1: Speaking of your brother, the Bengals host the Eagles next week. How exciting is that for the two of you.
Speaker 2: It'll be cool.
Speaker 3: Never really got to compete against them throughout my football career, but this will be the first time I see him in a different jersey, so it'll be crazy. I mean, we're just doing our jobs in the day, but the fact that I get to compete against my brother at the highest level is just gonna make it that much cooler.
Speaker 1: And hopefully you will go in with a two game winning streak after beating the Browns on Sunday. Best of luck, Thank you for the time.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Chase's twin brother, Sidney, is a safety who was drafted in the third round by Philly last year. He tore his ACL in the regular season finale in January, but it sounds like Sydney could be back in action this Sunday. As you probably know, the Bengals have not fared well against the Cleveland Browns, in recent years. Sure, they beat him in the regular season finale last year, but the Browns rested their starters in that game to get ready for the playoffs. Over the last Cleveland is nine and three in the Battle of Ohio, and the Browns have won six straight at home. Furthermore, Joe Burrow is one in five against Cleveland and only managed to put up three points against the Browns defense last year. They have been Joe's kryptonite. For more on Sunday's matchup, I spoke to a member of this week's TV crew. It's the Bengals in Browns on Sunday, and our friend Addie Kinkobwallo will be on the sideline for CBS Aditi. The Bengals started zero three, but they've won two out of their last three. They've got that overtime loss to Baltimore in between. Does it look to you like the Bengals are hitting their stride.
Speaker 5: It certainly feels that way.
Speaker 6: I'll say that, Dan, you know this last outing, the defense in particular tackled well. I know that that's something that's leagued the Bengals. But let's be honest, we've seen bad tackling in the first month of the season ever since they changed the way the preseason works. You and I go back to when we had two days in training camp when the pads were on. Now we never see that. Guys don't play in the preseason, so most every team suffers from bad tackling. Now. I don't know if this is Mike Hilton calling that players only meeting last week. I don't know if it's him kind of lighting the fire under guys, but certainly knowing that the tackling is better and knowing that the defense was a little bit more on its p's and q's makes you feel a bit more confident with that side of the ball and the offense stend. Do you ever count out an offense that has Joe Barrow at the helm?
Speaker 1: I certainly don't. He does say that the ball still isn't spinning quite the way that he likes, but he leads the NFL in passer rating. He showed off his speed last week with that forty seven yard touchdown run. What stands out to you about his performance through six games?
Speaker 6: That's exactly it, right that he told the Sunday Night Football Crew last week that he thinks it might still be a full year before that risk is one hundred percent. We certainly see footage of him flexing his wrist that risk. And despite that, he is still able to ben the ball as well as he does, even if it's not up to his standards. And and the offense has helped, let's be honest, by a better defense too.
Speaker 1: So that defense got most of its defensive lineman back over the past couple of weeks. That group is finally healthy. What do you think of the potential of the Bengals defense with lou Anarumo calling shots.
Speaker 6: I think the health makes so much of a difference. And you're right, it all starts up front. And so when that whole line is healthy, when that line can help stop the run, that enables that back end to make more plays. And so again, I just it's so hard to assess, and it's especially been this season. You and I were talking about this before this first month of the season. For six weeks of this season has been so odd. The teams that have been underachieving, the teams that have seemingly been middling, the teams that have had sort of slow starts. And I think a piece of that for the Bengals is nobody's running away with anything right now. You look at the AFC North and yes, the Steelers are four and two, but they're making a change at quarterbacks, so who knows how that's going to work out. And obviously I still feel that the Ravens are currently the class of the division. But they start the season so well either so are they a couple bad plays from being caught? Really, you're talking about maybe five plays, and the Bengals record is what five and one?
Speaker 5: So it's just there's a reason.
Speaker 6: That coaches use that cliche that there's such a fine line between winning and losing, and there's still a lot of football left, a lot of football left.
Speaker 1: And then there are the Cleveland Browns. You're part of their preseason broadcast team. You know this team extremely well. Are you stunned that Cleveland is one in five?
Speaker 5: Yes? I am, Frankly I am.
Speaker 6: You know, I just said this to you that nobody plays in the preseason, And I'll tell you a funny story. So in the preseason, the way that the Browns allow us to do their broadcasts, we interview a lot of players during the broadcast, and each week we talked to one of the coordinators and Jim Schwartz is their defensive coordinator. You know that this defense was a top two defense all year last year. And one of our interviews or you know, we were going in the halftime and I said to coach Schortz, how do you build off of what you did last year? Or something along the lines, what's the next step off of what you established last year? And I'll tell you, Dan, you need to find the clip, because he basically bit off my head and said, forget about last year.
Speaker 5: Who knows what we are this year? Nobody's played in the preseason. I have no idea what we are.
Speaker 6: And I'm paraphrasing here, but it was essentially calling me silly for assuming that this team would pick up where it was last year.
Speaker 5: Well, he was right.
Speaker 6: I was wrong, clearly you So, Miles Garrett is still Miles Garrett.
Speaker 5: He is not one hundred percent healthy. But it's funny.
Speaker 6: I was talking to a player on the Eagles who just faced them last week, asking, hey, just give me some background.
Speaker 5: What did you see?
Speaker 6: And his first line was ninety five is still ninety five? And when I said, but can you tell that he's not one hundred percent? And he said, who cares that he's not one hundred percent. He's still jumped over a guy and blocked a kick, so he's still making plays. Jay Okay, Jeremiah Usukuromoa is playing fantastic. He had a monster year last year. He is a sideline to sideline, unbelievably fast linebacker. He's playing really well.
Speaker 5: That back end that in.
Speaker 6: Theory, should be such a strength, has just been plagued by injuries. And so you think about Jamar Chase t Higgins, is Joe Burrow picking apart a secondary that likes to play man. There are opportunities right there, you know, but it's a shame. I wish that Denzel word was fully healthy. I hope he's on his way to getting healthy. Mj Emerson. You know, these are players that are fun to watch when they're in peak form. So of course that's the defense right there, and still it's still a good defense. The offense is just I mean, what do you say, what do you say? I mean, the can't score twenty points. They haven't scored twenty points all year. And what's dumbfounding to me is that Kevin Stefanski had an offensive staff in place from when he was hired, and his first season as head coach, he was Coach of the Year. That was the COVID year, and that offensive staff with Baker Mayfield as their quarterback or its quarterback, led the Browns to the playoffs in won a road playoff game when Kevin Stefanski was in his basement with COVID. That was that offensive staff. Then that same offensive staff last year, behind five different starting quarterbacks, earned a playoff berth and the Browns decided to completely rip up that offensive staff and completely remake their offense. They say it's an augmented passing game, but it's obviously a very very different passing game. And here you are six weeks in and nothing looks smooth, nothing looks efficient, nothing looks like it's looked the last few years. Deshaun Watson is clearly still not the player that he was at some point in Houston when people thought he was one of the bright young stars at the quarterback position. I will say this, Nick Chubb, who is everybody's favorite player, who is arguably one of the best running backs in the National Football League, in my opinion, the best running back in the National Football League when healthy. He's coming back and Dan, the city of Cleveland loves Snickchubb, loves, loves, loves loves Nick Chubb. When he runs out of the tunnel on Sunday, that building will come down with all that noise. And so, first of all, I never count out Nick Chubb. His first game back after destroying his knee at Georgia, he went for two hundred and twenty two yards. So maybe Kevin Stefanski will tell us he's on a pitch count, but I don't know that that ever works with Nick chub But even beyond that, I think the Browns are expecting, hoping for an emotional boost and emotional lift from the guy that really, actually, truly is the face of their franchise and embodies everything that they want to be. I can't tell you how many people I've been around who've said, if I had a roster full of Nick Chubbs, I'd never lose.
Speaker 1: I really don't root for the star players on the other teams and the AFC North, but I've got so much respect for Nick Chubb. After this week, I will be rooting for Nick Chubb going forward. Logan Wilson said this week it's the first time in his life that the team that he was about to play traded one of its best players that week. The Brown's obviously trading Amari Cooper. Why do you think they did that.
Speaker 6: I don't think that this is the fire sale that some people think from the outside. I don't think this is the Browns giving up on the season. This is just Amari Cooper was under this last year. This was the last year of his deal. He wasn't going to be re signed next year, and Brown general manager Andrew Berry was able to get more picks from the Bills.
Speaker 5: Then he gave up.
Speaker 6: To get Amari Cooper a couple of years ago from Dallas. And so I think when you can make a play like that, and remember the Browns haven't had a lot of picks because of everything they've given up for j Deshaun Watson, it seems to make some sense.
Speaker 5: I don't think there was another player in the NFL who had.
Speaker 6: More uncatchable targets than Amari Cooper did.
Speaker 5: So it's a deep, wide receiver room.
Speaker 6: You haven't seen everything that the Browns want to see by any means out of Jerry Judy or Elijah or Cedric Tillman, who's a very young talented guy. It's an opportunity for some other people to step up. And they're tight ends too. Don't forget about the tight ends. You know those are at least in Kevin Stefanski's previous offense. Those tight ends are very, very key.
Speaker 1: Final thing for add Kin Kabwala. If the Bengals are able to win this week and get to three and four, they've got back to back home games coming up after that, were that to happen, do you feel like they're right back in the thick of things.
Speaker 6: Win this week and of course you're right back in the thick of things. You know, every coach loves to say this. The goal is just to go Wan to know. The goal is to go Wan to know. You keep stacking those one and oh's, and you're in good shape.
Speaker 5: And as we keep.
Speaker 6: Saying, no one is running away with the AFC North right now, no one is necessarily looking.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the Chiefs, the Bills, you know, you have the class.
Speaker 6: Of the AFC in some ways, but it's also just about getting in the dance and nothing is insurmountable right now. The Bengals just need to continue because we saw it this past week, and continue to play better defense, and I think you'll see some good things. You know the talents there, and you know the coaching is there.
Speaker 1: Look forward to seeing you on the sideline this Sunday and really appreciate your time. Keep up the great work, Adidi, Thank.
Speaker 5: You and thanks so much for having me. It's always a pleasure.
Speaker 1: The Bengals Booth Podcast is brought to you by pay Corps, Proud to be the Bengals Official HR software provider, by Alta Fiber future proof Fiber Internet designed to elevate your home, business and community to a new level, and by Kettering Health the best care for the best fans. Kettering Health is the official healthcare provider of the Bengals. As add pointed out, the Browns offense has been abysmal this year. Not only haven't the Browns scored more than eighteen points in a game, but DeShawn Watson, who has still owed ninety two million bucks over the next two years, hasn't passed for two hundred yards in a single game this year, and at one point, the Browns offense failed to convert on twenty six consecutive third downs. Now, normally that might mean a change at quarterback and the Browns have former number one overall draft pick Jamis Winston waiting in the wings, but head coach Kevin Stefanski says he is sticking with Deshaun Watson.
Speaker 7: I think Deshaun gives us the best chance to win, continues to give us the best chance to win, and we need to play really good offensive football at his position and really at every position to be successful.
Speaker 8: On Sunday, Kevin, I know that we asked you this last week, but it seems to be that the prevailing narrative still seems to be that everyone thinks that Jimmy Haslam is forcing you to play Deshaun Watson. So I guess I just want to throw it out there again and ask how is this decision made and is there any truth.
Speaker 5: To that whatsoever.
Speaker 7: Well, as you know, Mary Kay, I don't get caught up in narratives, but we have a good dialogue with myself Andrew Ownership about all things that have to do with this team. They've been nothing but supportive and any decision when it comes to football is my decision.
Speaker 1: For more on the Browns, we turned to Zach Jackson, who covers the team for the Athletic He joined Lapping me this week on the Bengals Game Plan Show.
Speaker 4: What's that locker room like? I mean, what you're dealing with all kinds of crap? Really, what is it like in here on a day to day basis?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's quiet, Lap. You know what you do if you're them, is you find a positive. And you mentioned it. It's Chubb coming back, it's coming home after a three game road trip, right, it's that Miles Garrett is really good. It's the defense is really good. And you know, frankly, the defense has not been great, but which one is every single Sunday? You know, the defense has been good enough for this team to at least be five hundred, And it's been so bad that if they didn't just scored two touchdowns in some of these games, they'd be five hundred. So that's not to say that they're close to turn in the corner, because they're not. But we know when these teams get together, you know, strange things happen. We know that Miles Garrett taking over games is not a strange thing. It's a common thing. And you know, like maybe the trade of Amari Cooper is the start of a total teardown and an admission that this whole thing's a disaster, because right now it's a disaster. Or maybe it was just to send a little message that it's time to change and the guys here has to play better, which they do and we'll see. So I'm not ruling the Browns out this week, but I'm here to tell you guys, in total honesty, that it's worse than it looks from the outside, and there's a chance that it's going to be bad for a lot of times.
Speaker 1: Zach, why did they trade Amari Cooper?
Speaker 2: Well, his body language stunk, his performance was up and down, and a lot of that was attributed to the fact that they can't get him the ball and the pass offense just thinks. He had been pouting since the summer over a contract issue. You know, some of it was brought on themselves. They didn't extend him. They acquired Jerry Judy for nothing and immediately extended Jerry Judy, who's never done anything in his career. When Amari wanted his money. They offered up Amari to the Niners and a trade in a pursuit of Brandon Ayukamuri didn't like that, but mostly it's because Amari spent five of the six games running routes and the ball wasn't coming near him most times. And the other day in the fourth quarter, watching through the best pass of the season and Amari caught it and it set up first and goal at the five in the last four minutes of the game, and they ended up kicking a field goal from the thirteen, which kind of sums up the season.
Speaker 4: So when you have a season like this, normally injury is somewhere in the storyline. The offensive line is beaten up, the back end defensively is beaten up. I mean, has that been a big contributing factor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the other line been a huge factor lap underperformance. That availability, bad luck with the injuries and having to mix and match things. You know, they bench the rookies enter the other day and then he's in there on the third play because the center got hurt and so the guy who replaced him had to go to center. So yeah, it's just been not good. Now. They did start running the ball in the second half the other day. I think the offensive line had something to do with that, But there's just been sequences where someone misses a block, Watson misses a pass, and then maybe he gets off a pass and it's dropped, or somebody else misses the block and he misses a read. I mean, it's it's been a lot of things. He has played awful. He has played awful by the standards of a rookie seventh rounder, let alone a guy with his contract. But it's not all been his fault. And you have a two time Coach of the Year whose team can't stop getting penalties and can't figure out a way to spark the quarterback, if quarterback who drops back and doesn't appear to know what he's seeing most of the time. So that's how you end up one five and staring at a future that looks pretty bleak because every dime of his contract is fully guaranteed. So they they this is the most expensive roster in NFL history, and even with its works, it still has Miles Garrett, Denzel Ward right, some other guys who were really good, had Amarty Cooper until yesterday at three o'clock. But going forward, I'm not sure they can spend their way out of this one, because this is this is the worst trade in the history of the NFL.
Speaker 4: So does does dun stay at center and Zinra come back and play at the guard position. And of the thirty one sacks accumulated, which is is it more on the quarterback holding the football, is the old line guilty or is in mix?
Speaker 2: It's been all of them up. I remember a sequence in Washington they threw a screen for a loss of seven. They had an unblocked head rusher. On the next play, Watson escape throws at it's dropped, and then on third down here comes to rush again and he has to throw it away before anybody could get open. So it's been all that. Yeah, I think post Sick might get back. I don't know that he's totally ruled out, but if it's not him, it'll be done at center. Dune's been around a long time and he's played all five positions in practice, but he never had to play center in a game until last week. And like I said, Zenner made a couple of starts they didn't go well. He's back in Jack Conklin's back. That's good for him. He's been through major knee injuries, as you know, been a really good player when he's been healthy, missed thirteen months. Really, if Chubb plays Sunday and he's going to barring something crazy, those two guys will have missed the exact amount of time because Conkland got hurt in last year's opener and Hubb got hurt we too, so you know, for better or worse, both have been off of injuries before. Both have been really good players. Nick Chubb is a really special player, and he's a player that's super popular with the fan base and everybody wants him to succeed. We don't know what he's going to be, We don't know what his snap count is going to be, here can be, but that's really the only thing that's going to bring the energy that in the defense on Sunday, because if the offense doesn't come out and score the first draft and they have one touchdown and their last twenty nine possessions, let me say that again, one touchdown and their last twenty nine possessions, and that stadium is going to turn as ugly as it's ever been.
Speaker 1: Zach Jackson is our guest. He covers the Browns for The Athletic. You can follow him on x at Akron Jackson let me follow up on Nick Chubb. In Week two last year, he told tour the ACL MCL PCL I think those are all of the cls that you have in the knee. From what you've heard, does he look like he's running as fast as ever? As you said, we don't know how many snaps he's going to get on Sunday, But from what coaches and teammates have said, how does he look?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he looks like Nick Chubb and there's been no brace or anything. You know, he's been doing the work. This is a guy that I've always called him the ultimate low maintenance superstar, right because he's just not in to anything but football, and he has always been an incredibly hard worker and an incredibly low key talent by his personality and by playing on some bad teams. You know. Frankly, I think they preserved his career intentionally with those years. The Kareem Hunt was really running with him. You know, at first they had to actually trade a guy to get him on the field. That's back when Hugh Jackson was the coach and things were really bleak. But man, they would love to have him, and like I said, he it will be an emotional boost because he has that kind of respect in the locker room, not earned, I mean, not given earned to him. So you know, I don't know. I think the second time around you might see more of Nick Chubb, but I think he'll be introduced as a starter on Sunday. I think he'll probably be the starter for the emotional boost. But if he gets any more than ten or twelve carries, I'll be surprised. And I think that's probably a key to the game. The Browns have to get the run other than the trambles. They have to do it. They have to help their defense that way. They have to help the offensive line settle in, and they have to help their quarterback by doing it. I think when they finally moved the ball over the last twenty or so minutes last week in Philly, it was because the run set up some other things and finally set up the one big pass. They only have two passes over thirty yards all year long.
Speaker 4: Wow, So Miles Garrett, are they moving them around as much as they have in the pastors? He pretty much settled in in one spot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean he starts in that spot. Lap they do move him around, But the major problem is this is an attack defense even without Miles Garrett, and they haven't had the lead to really let it loose. So he's been awesome. He blocked the field goal last week. He's had the multi sat games. You know, even when the other guy, Alex Right gets the winning safety in Jacksonville, it's Miles Rush, it's interrever Lawrence's head. You've seen him do it. You've seen him do it to Joe, You've seen him do it to other guys. This is the best version of Miles last year carried into this year. So you know what's going to happen. How will they move him around if they get a chance to play with a lead, if they get in the game, or the defense needs that one stop to preserve it. They just haven't been in that situation. You know, they've been they've been losing these games and they've been coming down to the end and they haven't done that. But he looks great and he's you know, he's going to haunt Joe's thoughts and Dan Pitcher's thoughts all week, and he does that to all those guys. He really does.
Speaker 1: My final question Zach asked to do with Deshaun Watson. We heard the comment earlier on this show from Kevin Stefanski where he said Deshaun gives us the best chance to win. He's just audio, so we couldn't see if there was a Pinocchio factor there with a nose growing. But what do you think happened to Deshaun Watson? What's your theory? Why has he gone from being one of the best quarterbacks in the league to arguably the worst.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's a lot of things. I think the time away, I'm not sure where his mind is in relation to football, and I'm not going to put any words in his mouth. We didn't know him before this, you know, he was never here. He played in Cleveland one time and initially didn't want to come in. The weather was a part of it because he played in like an early November, late October game and it was twenty degree like it is in January here, you know. But he is not a stylistic fit with Kevin Stefanski. He has not played enough to be confident here. But to me, he's just he has zero pocket presence. He doesn't process, and I just don't see a confident player. I just don't. I occasionally see good throws, I occasionally see the talent that we've seen. I mean, this is we watched him as a true freshman. It comes to the nation, did right, But I see a guy who's a shell of that, and these numbers are appallingly bad. Some of them are historically bad. I'm sure you haven't in front of you somewhere there. We're will in the booth on Sunday, and it matches the eye test, it really does, and we're really we've seen it. Like I said, I've seen stretches, I've seen throws, but training camp, practice and now to games like this has been three years. He's just not good anymore. And those numbers often don't tell the story, but in this case, right now, mid October twenty four, they do, And every dime is guaranteed for one hundred and seventy dollars seventy million dollars in cap commitments to this guy who's giving you no chance to win, and the head coach is saying with a straight face, he gives us our best chance to win, all right, thanks.
Speaker 1: To Zach Jackson. And that's going to do it for this episode of the Bengals Booth Podcast, brought to you by pay Core, proud to be the Bengals official HR software provider by Alta Fiber future Proof fiber Internet designed to elevate your home, business and community to a new level, and by Kettering Health the best care for the best fans. Kettering Health is the official healthcare provider of the Bengals. If you haven't done so already, please subscribe to this podcast and if you have a minute, give it a rating or share a comment that helps more Bengals fans find us. I'm Dan Hord and thank you for listening to the Bengals Booth podcast.