Speaker 1: I don't building money so because its.
Speaker 2: Trading day after.
Speaker 3: Hey, what's going on out there, y'all?
Speaker 2: There's a long welcome to the A, C and T stage.
Speaker 3: We dream in black. That'll makes some noise in AT and T.
Speaker 4: People want authenticity, People want want truth in music, and ultimately, as we can see by how much nineties music, how much eighties music is being sampled and winning, people really do want that feeling again.
Speaker 3: Rather than put all the.
Speaker 4: Pressure on us, okay, okay, to have this conversation, what we're gonna do, we want to do something special today. Normally we have a celebrity sit right here, a singer, songwriter, producers, stylist, choreographer. We have them sit right there and talk R and B with us based on their experiences. But today we're gonna get some people from the audience, yeah, to sit with us and talk R and B in terms of what you grew up on, your top five, your votron, your I ain't saying no names.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, we go.
Speaker 4: So we need to look out here and see who wants to be on.
Speaker 3: Podcast.
Speaker 2: You gotta come up here with some real information though, you real okay, right, I mean, we're gonna do two. We'll do one or two? Okay, one? Come on? What's your Kelly? Come on, Kelly, y'all make some noise.
Speaker 3: Bring Kelly, Kelly. Where you from?
Speaker 4: I am from Baltimore, Baltimore at Themore in the Builder, d m V.
Speaker 3: I'm DM, I'm d m V. I'm cheering with you, I know, cheering with you. Let's talk R and B. Kelly.
Speaker 5: Let's do it.
Speaker 3: What is your favorite time period for R and B?
Speaker 4: Nineties early.
Speaker 2: That's the Tank era.
Speaker 3: That's the day.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't want you now then I can't have it at all. If I got a big forward with it, I.
Speaker 5: Gotta I have y'all don't know Tank.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the intro early two thousands and why the early two thousands it just felt good.
Speaker 5: I mean I was in high school.
Speaker 4: But it felt you were in high school. I was, oh, stop it, I'm your uncle.
Speaker 5: You can be my.
Speaker 4: Uncle Tank, Uncle Tank. But I'm thirty five, you're thirty five. Okay, okay, So, as we have this conversation in terms of the differences from nineties R and B or two thousands R and but let's start with your two thousands R and B to what's being heard and played. Now, what do you feel other differences in your mind?
Speaker 6: I feel like the content is uh, it's trash. The content is trash.
Speaker 2: The content is trash.
Speaker 5: It's not love making. Were just gonna bone.
Speaker 2: We're gonna bang it out, just gonna bone.
Speaker 5: We're gonna bone. We don't need that.
Speaker 6: We like slow, take your time with me, and I'm gonna take my time with you. Hello, we don't want them, we don't want to rush. We need some Ford play, take your time, build.
Speaker 5: It up, it up.
Speaker 2: You got to have low.
Speaker 5: But tank. You had a song called close Close. You came a little quick.
Speaker 3: Huh huh.
Speaker 5: It was good. It came quick.
Speaker 4: It happens. We're not perfect here. We're not perfect here. Just give me time to hydrate. I'll be back. That's a very good point. Goes back to what we were saying earlier, like taking your time in music, creating it, but also taking your time with the experiences that create the music. You know what I mean. We're so much in a rush, We're so in a rush to close the deal. We're so in a rush to get to the end that we never get a chance to fall in love with the journey of of people, of meeting you, of saying hi, of taking you out on a date, of getting to know you, getting to know your past, getting to know your hurts, the things that you're healing from, and figuring out how I can help, how I can be of service to you before figuring out how to get something from you. Yeah, yeah, how to be of service to you before service you want to surface you?
Speaker 3: Ah, my mind.
Speaker 5: That's a word.
Speaker 2: I got a question since we are on the AT and T stage, if you could call any R and B singer, who would it be.
Speaker 5: Like right now?
Speaker 3: If you could call him?
Speaker 2: Like if it's just like if who you want to talk to?
Speaker 5: Give me Usher?
Speaker 2: Mmm, you're gonna call? What you're gonna say to Usher when you get on the phone. What're you gonna say to him?
Speaker 5: Thank you for the journey?
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 6: For the timeline of just progression in your music journey. For giving us quality music even when people didn't support him for that short time period. I did some of them albums that weren't listened to as much because people didn't like him for whatever reason. That was quality music. Here I Stand was a quality album.
Speaker 2: Absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 5: Hard to Love was a quality album.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, okay, oh yeah, you know her are stuff Yeah, RelA I sugar one of iced tea.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: Okay, let's let's do something with you real quick. Let's do something. Everybody ready, We all gonna do this together.
Speaker 2: Toop five?
Speaker 3: Your top five?
Speaker 5: Top five?
Speaker 3: Your top five?
Speaker 2: What is it? R and B singers? R and B songs?
Speaker 4: Here we're gonna SUPR different all right? Your top five R and B singers.
Speaker 5: No particular order.
Speaker 6: I mean you are sitting next to me, so Tanks sure.
Speaker 2: Dixon yeah yeah.
Speaker 6: Uh, Avery will soon yes, And I'm a go Beyonce because I mean the queen.
Speaker 4: I'm in the hive. Top five R and B songs?
Speaker 5: Can we talk? Can you help me?
Speaker 2: By usher A?
Speaker 6: I gotta do the sex, love and pain intro?
Speaker 3: Mmm? This you do? You just singing? You just singing. I'm my apologies, thank you.
Speaker 2: H Oh.
Speaker 3: It's tough.
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 2: It's easy when you're watching it on TV on your phone.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: See I'll be talking about that. They taking so long. They should have They don't really watch the show.
Speaker 6: Beyonces four that just give me a whole album, Give me a whole album, underrated album?
Speaker 5: Shoot Chris Brown with you?
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, Yeah, I like what you're doing. I like what you're doing. Okay, can we do a vultron with her? Can we do a vultron? All right, we're making a vultron. Let's build it. We're making your super R and B singer. Who are you gonna get the vocal from the performance style, the styling and the passion of the artists to make your super artist?
Speaker 3: Who's vocal? Are you using.
Speaker 6: Donnie Hathaway?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Layla said, don't nobody sound like her daddy?
Speaker 5: Nobody, But that's what she said.
Speaker 4: She said, it's the pain in his voice, the performance style.
Speaker 2: So so he gonna have an apple hat on and he gonna be doing dance moves, jumping off, are getting stuck in on the little things like Chris, what.
Speaker 4: The apple is not gonna fall throughout the whole routine. It's not gonna happen. The styling of the artists, the drip of the artist.
Speaker 5: King On Dixon kind of fly.
Speaker 2: He always gotta fly, fit on.
Speaker 3: He had a furrown at the R and B Money Live.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he definitely had a big fly, okay.
Speaker 3: And the passion the heart of the artists, kim.
Speaker 2: Me Michael Michael Jackson's Passion.
Speaker 4: Chap Nude, Chap Nude, Chap Nude. Michael was always hot. Yeah, I think you. I think she was an amazing guest. I think you have to. I'll give it up a Kelly, please make some girl. That's that's gonna be a tough one to follow. Let's do one more. Somebody to know about this R and B music.
Speaker 2: I picked the first I picked the first guests. I picked the first guest, So I'm letting you pick the second guests.
Speaker 4: Well, come on there, since you know, come on, come on there, tambourine, Come.
Speaker 2: On see y'all should have brought y'all tambourine got you, that would have got you on stage. Oh she has her own mic? Oh this is great?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 2: The t Paine auto tuo?
Speaker 3: Mic?
Speaker 2: Is this the one?
Speaker 3: All right? And what is your name?
Speaker 5: My name is Zada, but they call me my lady. I'm my mom and Dad's baby. But I'm a full grown woman with it. Wow, I'm half of a century. What Meg the Stallion doing I was doing at ninety three? I still got Magan these Yeah, yeah, I know all my alphabets. Okay, you can't go through the alphabet without saying the letter JA. You heard me, and then you know if you got them guns, you're most definitely gonna need a T A n K.
Speaker 2: Ready when we Okay.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna be quiet. I'm gonna be quiet.
Speaker 4: No, No, do your do your thing, do your stuff. Every time I see you, I be when we.
Speaker 5: Cause it's your birthday, birthday. Hey tonight, that's Chris Brown Tank. You know, I know it's a chick on.
Speaker 3: He's singing that song to know.
Speaker 5: J Valentine to. You cannot go through the alphabet without saying the letter J.
Speaker 3: Okay, So tell us where you're from.
Speaker 5: I was born in New Orleans, raised in Mississippi, but I reside in Texas because of my husband pays the mortgage. Shout out to Yeah, I reside in Texas because my husband pays the mortgage. Shout out to them.
Speaker 2: Shout out to the husbands that pay the mortgages.
Speaker 5: In here, No, he's at home.
Speaker 2: Okay, are the ones that sent you here? Ones that said, she.
Speaker 5: He's a good man. He know, I likes I like, I like.
Speaker 3: Did you hear what she just said?
Speaker 4: You have to you got to look at the the underlining, the undertone of that she said, I live in Texas because my husband pays the mortgage. Let's pull back the layers on that. She's not gonna follow a man that's not properly leading.
Speaker 5: Correct.
Speaker 4: She felt safe enough and secure enough to go with that man to somewhere unfamiliar, somewhere strange, but she knew that her man was gonna protect her and keep her safe.
Speaker 1: Oh helllu it's not just the mortgage. It's not just the morge. It's not just the mortgage.
Speaker 5: It's not just the ma.
Speaker 2: It's just something that we all can understand.
Speaker 1: Yes, ah, But in the private times, it's the holding we play Tank, it's the communication we play Tank.
Speaker 5: He dressed up and all black. I said, baby, go be Tank. Xena got Tank, but I got you. But play when we I said us. I know we cannot, I said, I know my syllables.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 5: I'm just not my first time time.
Speaker 3: I love you.
Speaker 2: Yes, you don't remember.
Speaker 5: I saw you in Dallas. I was the one that walked down the middle with that hat on it, with the lace that.
Speaker 3: Remember.
Speaker 5: I got pictures of us in my phone. I got my own man. We speak every time, Tank, mister Barrell Reel.
Speaker 3: It's not what you think.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I'm married, married, we married.
Speaker 5: We Xena is a liberal. It's big libra energy, I know, big labor.
Speaker 4: Don't get her hype. Don't get her hype because I paid the mortgage.
Speaker 2: Don't get her hip.
Speaker 5: Cina got a good man, Yes, sir, So let's let.
Speaker 3: Me ask you a question. Yes, sir, well, I like your question for yes, I like your question.
Speaker 2: Which one was it? I didn't got caught up and everything that's I'm I expectator. Tell about to turn my chair and just watch the AT and T phone call? Yes, oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. Who would be your phone call? Your AT and T phone call? In R and B music, it would be Tang, it would be Tanke.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: So you're getting all your questions off right now, you're getting you getting it off. What you want to ask him?
Speaker 5: How do you handle how do you and Zena handle you being such an attractive performer because you can't perform, you can sing, you can act. We've seen all of those things. So how does she work through that? How does she manage?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 5: My man is handsome, he's attractive, he's fine, and not that you're using your body as a tool. It is Okay, that's up to you and how you tell the truth. But how do how does she manage that having an attraction husband?
Speaker 4: Well, and I'll just answer the question. I mean, it's there's so many layers to that, but I think it's up to me again to make her feel safe there you go. It's up to me to make sure that she knows she has the number one position, because we gotta know, like in this social media era, something can look like anything, right, and so you don't. You don't want your good to be even spoken of, and so you have to you have to be smart about.
Speaker 2: Where you go, what you're doing.
Speaker 4: Who you're seeing with, correct, what you're saying, correct all of those things. Because that's why I don't go nowhere because it gets back really fast. And in a world where misery loves company, right, they would to be able to send my wife, well, he can't be too much of your husband because he was.
Speaker 3: Just blah blah blah, and.
Speaker 4: Here's a picture of it, or here's a DM of it, or here's a text of it.
Speaker 2: So a lot of it starts with me.
Speaker 4: I mean, of course, ultimately, she as a woman, as she walked into this, I was this before we got married, correct, So there has to be a certain level of acceptance of what I am before she even decides to partake, because it is a lot. But then once we're in there again, it's my job to make sure she feels safe.
Speaker 5: So the proper word is discernment. You're using discernment to make sure that she's safe. Yes, because we live in this world where people can change things around words, and a mere picture can be turned into I was with your man when it's really mirror a picture.
Speaker 3: Here's a question for you, Yes, sir, same question.
Speaker 4: What do you think the biggest difference for you between well, what's your favorite era of music?
Speaker 3: Let's start there in nineties, early two thousands.
Speaker 2: Argon further back.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I like the seventies and the eighties and the nineties. The reason for the seventies is because when you go back to a man leading and making a woman feel safe and provided for. I saw that with my father, and so no family is perfect, but in that home it was music playing. There was togetherness. We weren't hungry. We played together, he said, and watched us play together. We didn't know if there were hard times, but I remember my mother. She's from New Orleans, Louisiana. So I remember her playing Love and Happiness. I remember her playing I Love You. I remember Al Green. So I had this uncle from New Orleans, right, my uncle Billy. I remember him playing Rick James. I did not know Mary Jane. I thought that was a woman. I really thought it was a so until he passed away. And so they was doing Mary Jane in the back and not it. But we were in the front. So it's like, I remember Rick James, the Mary Jane Girls, Whitney Houston, Luther Vandross. Oh my love thoughts from you, it's not worth Winny was saying, baby, you give good love to me, so good take this hart of mine. Okay, But then we got up to like the two thoughts. Oh no, Lie, I love my husband. When we was having a hard time, we was really I was watching b E T and maybe I deserve I'm like, I'm gonna get you the I'm gonna get you. Never knew that I would have this day and see you several days because even ten years ago and at on the world too essence, I made my way up to the station because my goal is I'm gonna see and touch everybody that I enjoyed. He was in Afghanistan. He said, what do you want to do for Mother's Day? I'm not here. Take the children to six Flags, do the road to Essence Tank is gonna be their Seventh Street is gonna be there. And we had a good time. So my goal is he gives me the things that my dreams are different. It's music and laughter, and so every single time that I can get a chance, I get my chance appropriately because I'm married and that's somebody else's man, and I don't want what nobody else has. So my goal is if you're making something for us to enjoy. When you all are sitting and in the studio all night and doing things, I'm like, yeah, we're gonna go all night because you are entertaining us. We pay for entertainment. And when you all do those things, we're together at home, so you're giving up safe spaces at home where we don't really have to go out to the club. We can do what we do at home to you all's music. And that's the thing. Music is my strength. And I know that I just don't appreciate you all. We all standing up in here appreciate you all. Thank you I'm speaking for all of us with that because it pure. It brings my heart joy and sadness and excitement. And so the day that I leave this earth, I'm gonna be singing when we you know what. And the other part, I know I'm gonna be old because I'm gonna be saying this slow.
Speaker 3: I don't know if they're gonna have that selection in heaven, but.
Speaker 5: Just play it on the slides. Play it on the slides.
Speaker 4: Well, you answered so many, so many questions in that one amazing soliloquy. You went crazy. I want to go straight to top.
Speaker 1: Five, your top five, my top five.
Speaker 3: Top five R and B singers as a team.
Speaker 5: I love what you two are doing. So you're in there, Tank and Jay Valentine. I'm not just saying to get anything because I'm up here, but you're in rotation. I was at the Soul Train Musical War are sitting up from Okay, so you know I know what I'm talking about. You came out first, he came out second. That girl I told, ma'mna practice. I'm a performer at the house. So it's tanking. J Valentine, Trey Songs, Jamie Fox, Chris Brown. I think I could dance like Chris in my mind. I love Beyonce as well. I like men the most though. Five Okay, don't worry. Yeah, I don't wanna go crazy.
Speaker 3: Your top five sweat songs.
Speaker 5: Song, my top five R and B songs, Chris Brown, privacy, privacy, I don't give a f Chris Brown. It's when when we I most definitely like that. Oh, they don't really know, you know, you know. I don't think you're ready. I don't think you're ready. Yes and slow.
Speaker 2: It's all Tank.
Speaker 5: It's all tank y'all though, it's all but I play it.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Build your Vultron, your super R and B artists. All right, this is what we're gonna do. Okay, we're gonna take the vocal from somebody, the performance style from somebody, the styling from somebody, and the passion of an artist to build one artist. So who would you get the vocal from one person to build your super R and B artists?
Speaker 5: Ooh, that's rough. I would have the vocals of Tank the performing no.
Speaker 1: Tank vocals vocals, Tank vocals, performance style, Chris Brown.
Speaker 2: I can do some of Chris Brown. Okay, styling the clothing, that's.
Speaker 5: Hard, because I'm gonna go back to you. It goes back to a person that can make you laugh and entertain and perform the cloth. That's what I'm saying. I like how you dress. I like how you dress. I like how Tank dresses.
Speaker 3: That I got two in there. I got two all right, and not a passion of the artists.
Speaker 5: The passion of the arts. Oh my god, it's so seeing. When I'm it's still Chris because he's up tempo, up tempo. He does something that makes you feel like you can do that. Like I'm like, I know I could do this left right like him, but it has to do. I don't know how else to do unless I go back old school. I do like Keith Sweat. There's something about Keith Sweat still because it's smooth and the vocals. But I'm still a more upbeat girl. I like you because you're smooth, you're funny, you're a performer, You're good on the eye. Chris is a great performer as well, and I like that Keith Sweat is smooth for my time. Keith Sweat, Chris Brown, and Tank, that's what I like.
Speaker 4: I love that I'm looking at Jay Dewey. Do we do your segment two. You think she got some for us?
Speaker 3: What is it?
Speaker 5: Give it to me?
Speaker 2: So right now, right now, we're going to a very important part of the show. Yeah, yeah, it's called I ain't saying no names? Will you give us a story? Funny? Are messed up? Are funny and messed up? Well? Maybe you know because you you go to concerts, you go to different things, You've seen some stuff. You tell us this story without saying nobody names. That's the only rule to the game.
Speaker 5: About a celebrity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, whatever you Okay, So.
Speaker 5: We went to a concert or the concert of Frankie. Okay, So we went to a concert and it was a group.
Speaker 2: They had on all white.
Speaker 5: They had on all white, and so you know, I was I was looking nice and I got on stage and I said, can my girls come to it? And they said yes, and they said We're going to go to the room and get dressed. And I'm like, I'm the shoulder after party, but you want to see my grandson? Like my grandson? He was like, what are you talking about that for? I was trying to like, I ain't that type of chick. But my friend said, I'll go to the room. I said, the next best thing to me is her, and they went. I said, I'm gonna wait on y'all outside. I started talking about my husband and it was like you love him. I was like, here the reason why I'm here, But I can't go up there with y'all. And I just waited for her outside and I'm like, oh, don throwing them and he that was them? She grown a single. That was them.
Speaker 2: Wasn't me?
Speaker 5: That was not me.
Speaker 1: I was waiting. I was in the car. I was I'm the driver with the music on. I was like, they up there playing when.
Speaker 3: We Oh, y'all make some noise?
Speaker 5: What thank you so much?
Speaker 2: At N T said they got some special for us.
Speaker 3: Man at and T.
Speaker 4: He said, they got some special for for y'all and for us. First of all, did you enjoy your first two guests from out of the They.
Speaker 3: Knew about that. R and B.
Speaker 4: They knew about that R and B. We want to do something now which kind of fits into the format of what we do. We try to get legendary, uh legendary musical icons to sit in this chair and give us some of their story, what they've been through, the challenges, the winds, the losses, all the nuances that make them.
Speaker 3: Who they are.
Speaker 4: And this, this brother that we got coming up here is has one of the greatest voices ever ever, one of the greatest songs ever, two of my favorite And I'm not gonna make the intro long because we need to get him on stage so that he can talk that talk. Ladies and gentlemen, come into the stage, please make some noise for Kenny Lottimore.
Speaker 2: Are you feeling Hey, Good to see you all. Essence It's nothing like Essence fest in the world nowhere. You see this beautiful? This is beautiful, a sea of beauty. What How many of y'all got married to a Kenny Lottimore song? Because it because if I ever get married, I'm definitely gonna are you sent the reception dancing where you have to be.
Speaker 4: Thank you for those of you all who may not have seen Kenny Latimore segment on the Army Money Podcast.
Speaker 3: First of all, thank you for coming. Yes, thank you for having me.
Speaker 4: I told a story where I died trying to sing his song for you at a wedding.
Speaker 3: It got to the.
Speaker 4: Point to where I just stopped singing the words and I just started a libbing.
Speaker 2: It's a lot of words though, stuff that was not in the.
Speaker 4: Music for you. It's some Wendy's and some Poppa doos anywhere you want to go.
Speaker 2: It's a lot of words in there. It's a lot of words. It's a lot of notes you have to control.
Speaker 4: You have to be vocally conditioned for the marathon to sing that song top two bottom, I've never done it.
Speaker 3: How do you do it?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 2: I guess it's the practice. Like the more you do something, you get better at it. Because I have to admit, when I start singing songs, especially if they're new, I go through exactly the same thing. I have to figure out where the placement is in my entire body so that I can keep producing the sound. So I mess it up and keep going and going and going until I find that place. Once I find that place, sometimes the live performance becomes something different. It becomes something that's original and its own thing. So is it not alone?
Speaker 4: Is it a thing that it took you a minute to process once you started singing it live on stage?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Absolutely, And then once you sing it over and over and over again as an artist, sometimes you don't want to do it the same way. You ever go to a concert and somebody is singing the song totally different than the way yes, or is it a different key or whatever. But then I learned that you guys want to hear it the way you know it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I had to go back and revisit it and say, Kenny, you need to find that placement again and find out how to breathe and how to get all those words out or where to take your breaks so that you can produce that.
Speaker 4: Sound Kenny, for the people here, where are you from and where were you groomed as the singer, songwriter, producer talent that.
Speaker 2: You are from Washington, DC DMV, I might have to find somebody from the Bay Area to come up here. And I'm the Bay by myself. The Bay Area is like the West Coast version of Deep Sea. To me, it really is culturally the diversity. Everything the music we listened to was exactly the same. But I'm also HU Howard University, so I studied from twelve years old. My mother discovered I could sing, and I was singing jazz stuff like I left my hat in the San Francisco at twelve on at twelve because that was the way that you learned how to enunciate. So if you ever wondered, wow, Kenny talks real proper and he's in. I learned how to enunciate and how to breathe and how to properly sing because I was a trained singer. Yeah, and I sang classical music and I would go out and I would do competitions and scholarship board stuff and just you know, things that were outside of the box.
Speaker 3: Of R and B.
Speaker 4: Give me a classical complimentative, what is a classical moment?
Speaker 2: Classical? Like this is Italian? Uh almost bell ben I started saying the MODI splend the soriso, this stella New York toy blue, which is Italian. But come on, yeah, yeah, come on, but it's I would do stuff like that, and it made me, as a kid, feel like, oh man, this is he didn't like it was really easy. Does anybody know what he was saying? I'm clearly lost.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: But it helped me to just gain my music saved my life because I was definthly shy. I was definitely shy growing up and singing classical singing, jazzy, all of this stuff made me feel like I had something to give and I had a voice. Yeah, so yeah, it gave me a place where I felt like my confidence was built to give musically. You've been giving us music Man for a long time, and we appreciate you for that. Thank you so much. Sure man, thank you for the podcast absolutely because it has given us an amazing platform to tell our stories where we didn't know, we didn't have it and people didn't want to what's the story behind the music? You know? And for for emerging black artists, for established black artists, because I know it started with probably more emerging artists, but now you've probably had everybody on on the on the podcast. Not yet, not yet. We we we getting there, get getting there. We're getting there.
Speaker 3: You will.
Speaker 2: But that's the thing that we are very adamant about is that we want to bring everyone on. We want everyone, you know, to have their opportunity to come and tell their story the way they want to tell their story without all the extra clickbait stuff and all that. We don't we don't want. That's not what we're about. We're about showing love. Were about showing love to the journey, and we're about being informative so people can understand how they can sing a song like yours without messing up. What does it take you know what I mean, what does it take us, you know, for for the longest I mean obviously we all grew up before Google, Yes.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: We couldn't find that information the way that people can now just click click, you can click and find something. But what we found when we thought of doing the podcast was that, well, there's not enough information about what we do, what we really do, you know what I mean, what really goes into it? And we want to and we are hopefully putting a spotlight on those things. Yeah, yeah, and our job is to make it look easy. We were talking earlier about how to put something great together for you that the thought and the processing of putting something that you're going to remember together, it takes a lot more effort. Now, I was up there listening and you were saying how long did it take to make an album and things like that, and you were saying a year or so sometimes to do something great. Michael Jackson, It used to take two years or more to do Thriller. To have all of those great songs where you start to play the album and every single song is a single. It takes a lot of time to record those songs, See if they translate, see how they compete with the other songs. So all of that progression takes time, and a lot of that is not happening. So hearing those kind of stories, I think helps the next generation as they're creating, to know that it's okay. It's okay for it not to be perfect the first time, and it's okay that we're all like a process, a work in progress and process because I'm not the same person I wasn't ninety six, whenfore you came out?
Speaker 3: Or weekend in two.
Speaker 2: Thousand, that was in ninety six, wo or take a dose which was in you know, two thousand and twenty one, twenty two. As we grow and as we become who we are for you, we just try to take the time, take the time to make it right so that everything that you get is worthy of your dollar, of your time, and it's relevant for you. So we appreciate you being here all y'all that rocked with me specifically since the nineties. I appreciate you so much. Are you performing this weekend? Are you performing? I performed last night night? Yes, say thank you, thank you so much. I performed as a part of a radio broadcast. It's going to be broadcasting from Essence all this weekend on iHeartRadio. We performed yesterday.
Speaker 4: I want to highlight the fact that the gold for me and all of this conversation is that even before you became the Kenny Lattimore that we know on the radio and with the record deals and all of these things, you were ready.
Speaker 3: You were beyond ready.
Speaker 4: You had put in, as we call it, those ten twenty thousand hours oh man, yeah, perfecting your gifts.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, so that by.
Speaker 4: The time it was time to be ready, you were already ready. If you can just speak to that, just give us a little bit on how it felt, because a lot of artists come into this, especially nowadays. Yeah, they'll get some traction on ig or get some traction on TikTok, and then they're thrown into this thing that we call the music business and trying to perform and they're not ready.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they suffer because of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true, very true. So how about this whole concept dreaming black, right? Yeah, dreaming in black to me is believing something before you see it, see it before you see it. We are people of faith generally in our culture and being ready for those moments is about dreaming and Black. It's about dreaming and seeing that I think I'm going to be on this other side. So there's some things that I did as a kid, and I wasn't smart enough to know it was something spiritual. Again, I wasn't smart enough to know that this is what I was doing. But I remember taking speech class at Howard because I like, I'm gonna be famous one day. I want to be able to stand up here and speak and articulate my thoughts to you. Clearly, I'm going to take speech to prepare myself. That's a part of me dreaming in Black to me because it was preparatd the preparation, taking the voice lessons and learning how to sing different styles of music, adding to the narrative of the story. It's not always about the song. Sometimes people are interested in who you are. Sometimes who you are draws the people more than your art or what you think. Your gift is. Your gift makes room for you and it brings you before great people, great men and women. So what do you have to give? The more you're dreaming, the more that you prepare yourself. But you have to believe that you're going to be there. The more that you believe that you're going to be there, the more prepared you will be. And even if it's not always about a rigorous program in your spirit, you will have a settledness that you belong because there are a lot of people that are going to tell you that you don't belong here. Even at the height of your career and what you do, people are gonna still tell you that you don't belong here. It may be a critic that writes an article about you in a magazine or a show or something that comes out and somebody tries to disqualify you. That's why you got to keep dreaming in black, dreaming in black, dreaming in black, and then you can stand in the truth of that and you'll be prepared at all times.
Speaker 4: Wow, I want to do something different. Since you've done your top fives and all you've done those already, I want you to give me one artist that influenced you the most and why Okay, I.
Speaker 2: Like that, the greatest, greatest, greatest artist that influenced me with Stevie Wonder. Come on, give it up with Stevie Wonder. But when he sees Tank, he's gonna punch him in the face. I want to punch him in his face. Why hold up before I before I continue? Why is he gonna punch you in the Vince? You gotta beat with Stevie.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: But the reason why for me was I saw Stevie as a person that had no boundary. When he would sing just like I sang you an Italian song. He'd sing different languages, different styles, and he would always make it his own thing. And his voice never seemed like it had endless it was like endless range, right, But that was really I felt like, not only was he an incredible singer, but you're talking about a great a great producer, a great writer, a person that studies and dreams. Yes to this day, I know that Stevie Wonder's still dreaming about what's next, even with all of his accomplishments. This is not a journey that you go on where you arrive. Life is not a journey that you go on where you arrive. That's what keeps us dreaming. It's the dream that keeps us moving forward. And I've talked to Stevie where I can. He's like, Yeah, I want to write this kind of song next, and and you're thinking of a brother. You've done it all, what you don't step aside save some for us?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: But that that's my thing. I loved him so much because he seems to have no boundaries to his gift. I like how you just suddenly just poor Champagne on our podcast about how you talk to Stevie because I don't. I don't talk to Stevie. I don't. I don't, Stevie, if you're listening, I want to talk talk something. But he's an incredible He's an incredible person. So I'm thinking Stevie would come on the podcast. We're waiting Steve Stevie. Y'all make some noise if y'all want to see Stevie Wonder on the Army Money podcast Stories Man Motown. I can only imagine. I can only imagine another question. Give me one song that when that song used to come on.
Speaker 4: You, it just took you to a place where you wanted to be on stage singing that song.
Speaker 2: Wow, you know what it was.
Speaker 5: A chair is still a check.
Speaker 2: Even when there's no one.
Speaker 5: Sitting there.
Speaker 2: But a she.
Speaker 5: It's not a hot and a house is not a home when there's no one there.
Speaker 2: Told you're tired and no one there. You can't kid good night. Yeah. Now, Peter always made me. When I heard him sing, I was like, I want to do that. I'm trying to figure out how he just sang that with that music playing with no inears, no inears.
Speaker 4: Come on, man, come on man, listen one time, one time. I need you to celebrate real talent, real work, ethic.
Speaker 3: A real artist, a real one. Ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 2: I heard she said, I know that's right.
Speaker 3: Why did he act like that? Why does he acting like that?
Speaker 2: I thought he was about to say, get it sex. See, that's what I would have said. I ain't lying now, don't act like y'all. Don't be listening to it though. Come on, don't do that, don't do that. I get it, I can't get it nowhere.
Speaker 3: I'm thinking.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying, you know yet, Kenny Lotting more in Sexy Red, you can't know all right? All right?
Speaker 3: Whatever?
Speaker 2: Only me balance balance, balance.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, listen, I want you all to do this for me. First of all, dreaming black absolutely right. I want you to see yourself somewhere, and I want you to believe that nothing can stop you from getting to that place. And then, like Kenny said, I want you to take all the necessary steps to prepare yourself for that place that you know you're going to be in.
Speaker 3: Can y'all promise me that today?
Speaker 4: And then two, I want you to subscribe to the Army Money Podcast.
Speaker 2: Follow everywhere at the Real Tank at Jay Valentine.
Speaker 3: At the Army Money Podcast.
Speaker 4: Subscribe because what we want to do and what we're continuing to do is we just two young black men. They want to do it the right way. We're taking the positive road, which is the longer road, which is the steeper side of the mountain. But we're going to continue to chart that course no matter how long it takes because we want to be inspirational, we want to be uplifting. We want to be true leaders in our community. We want to we want to really encourage our young men to pay their mortgages, yes, mortgage. We want our women to feel safe and covered. We want our children to feel protected and be raised the right way. This is all that we represent. So on behalf of At and T Dreaming Black and the Army Money Podcast. My name is Tank, I'm Jay Valentine, and this has been the Army Money podcast, The Authority, Oh.
Speaker 2: No Things, Army. I want to be Money Money