Speaker 1: Welcome to the It Girl Podcast. I'm here with liv my friend Livey Duncan, the gorgeous, stunning Queen New York it Girl. So I just want to talk to you today about your fashion career and how you got your start. Were you always just this super fashionable girlly?
Speaker 2: I love you. I mean it's so funny.
Speaker 3: I try and think back to when it all started and when I got into it. I think I've always had a true maybe personal style through and through, but I mean it's changed over the years. I never thought I was going to go into fashion or be in the fashion industry. I wanted to. I wanted to go into biotech after college, but like I graduated when COVID hit, so I called every place I interned at and that was all like fashion assays, so like do you need part time?
Speaker 2: Do you need anything? Like? I just need work, I need to do something.
Speaker 3: And I think that then in that world kind of pushed me to get into it more. And then that was like the rise of TikTok and stuff. So then seeing other people and what they're wearing, it just like made me want to kind of go and go out of my comfort zone learn more about fashion again.
Speaker 1: What was your first job in fashion?
Speaker 2: I will job job first one. They all kind of mix.
Speaker 3: I think the first one I was at was for private designer kazy K, who did a lot of like D two C custom clothing but really cool. And then I was at Badging Mishika. I worked on the sales team and marketing team for them, which was cool because I interned for them. I did New York Fashion Week with them, like back in the day. It's so crazy to think about, like when you're applying to be a volunteer during fashion Week and the madness of that on that side versus now being on this side, us going to shows, but also being in house doing it and knowing these like interns are running around. It's just so crazy.
Speaker 1: I always think that every time I go to a New York Fashion Weeks show or event, I'm like, my hardest with you, interns, the hardest with.
Speaker 2: You, Like you're just getting yelled at, told what to do, and you just are terrified.
Speaker 3: You want to do the right thing, and I don't know, I just remember being chaos.
Speaker 1: No, it is pure chaos. So now you are a creative consultant, will you break down for us like what that means and just basically what that is and what you do for brands.
Speaker 3: Yes, after badgely working at Badgie Mishka, I went to work for a startup called Rodeo.
Speaker 2: Do you remember Rodeo Shot Rodeo. It was kind of coming up.
Speaker 1: I completely forgot that you worked there.
Speaker 2: I reached out to you about it.
Speaker 1: Yes we met because you worked there. I was, Yes, I completely I thought we met through a girl, but no, we met because you worked at Rodeo.
Speaker 2: I completely and I was like probably blowing you up, cold calling you and being like please handswer no, not too crazy, Okay, you guys. So I was.
Speaker 3: When I was working at Rodeo, I was doing the creator outreach and brand outreach, and we were a small team. It was a startup, so really it was like handsbur in every bucket. We did editorial photo shoots. We connected brands to creators in a way that today it's so much easier. I feel like with Shot, Mine all these other platforms, it's just like you're immediately connected. But then we were kind of pitching brands really funky creative collaboration ideas for or with different creators, and the creators weren't like the influencers so to say, I hate using that word, but interior designers travel agents, and it was just like a funky it was almost like an agency, now that I'm saying that out loud.
Speaker 2: It was so random, but.
Speaker 3: I kind of I spent the year with them and then transitioned out because I was getting so many brands calling me to help them come on for a project and consult with them in some way, whether that was a marketing plan or doing an editorial or styling something or just building a community around them in like a new way. So that is kind of how that started and shifted. And now I'm just like a consulting but I won't lie.
Speaker 2: I love working with startups, so I keep that kind of a joke. Like my nine to five.
Speaker 3: My consulting is working with a lot of different startup brands that are not centered even around fashion. So that's doing, like I said, marketing strategy, just like new ways for them to kind of get their ground and footing, especially if they're a European brand or from somewhere else in not New Ork. You for like, New York is such a hard market to try and tap into. So now it's kind of just like a crazy balancing thing of like getting to do that and then getting to do the creative stuff and editorials. But I love it because I like having the business side of stuff. I kind of miss that in terms of like corporate world.
Speaker 1: So to say, when a brand hires you as a creative consultant, what problem are they trying to solve? Is it that breaking into the New York market? Is that what you see is like the thing that people are coming to you for.
Speaker 3: Yes, sometimes, or I think the way I look at it is there's always a creative element to it. For them, it is truly like what do we even do if we don't have any ad dollars they're about to spend on marketing?
Speaker 2: How do we approach that?
Speaker 3: So I'll kind of build out like plan for them, and then if I get to and I'm lucky, I get to do the fun creative stuff like the editorials. Or it's working with like John Hardy for example, who I just shot a big thing with for Valentine's Say, which was so fun and I have to say it's probably my first campaign that I got to truly have full creative direction on, which was amazing. But that's different where someone will come be like, we have this product or this thing we have to launch, we want to give it to you.
Speaker 2: You do full creative direction, go crazy. What do you think is going to work?
Speaker 3: And then obviously I have to do a little research and look at stuff to be like, all right, what's trending, what's going to happen, what's going to like grab the attention and keep people entertained.
Speaker 2: So that's incredible that answer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's incredible. What do you think is the biggest mistake that brands make creatively right now?
Speaker 3: This is such a good question. It's like a big thing that people are talking about.
Speaker 1: It is a brand like it is really their marketing is make or break right now in a crazy way. It literally because everything is so available and it's on our phones and it's on our Instagram and it's on our TikTok, and it's like, if you're not reaching the right people at the right time in the right way, people are very tricked to cancel brands and totally done with them or ignore them completely. Yeah, what issue do you feel like you're just constantly cleaning up?
Speaker 3: It's so hard because of trends like virality is such a crazy thing because it's in a moment, But then everyone else wants to jump on board and do the same thing to get the results. But then I think brands also lose that identity when they do so I don't know mistakes. I think there are a lot of mistakes you can make. I do love when brands do crazy out there creative campaigns, like I want you to knock my socks off. I want to be so like, wait, what the hell just happened? I need to watch this fifteen times, digest it and figure out what I just saw.
Speaker 1: I know, I'm extremely unimpressed by the trend following marketing campaigns. When I see that on Instagram and I'm like, I've seen six brands post this stupid thing to I'm literally like, you have no balls. Yeah, this is not fashion, this is not high fashion, this is not interesting, this is not creative. It just yeah, I think it's really disappointing.
Speaker 3: Like I kind of wish it'll be interesting to see the shift in creative direction around brands, because where it used to just be the creative director knew what the campaigns were, knew the marketing efforts, they had their pulse in touch on everything. Now, if we're handing it off to people, it's going to be different. Like I'm so curious to see like where that.
Speaker 2: Changes over that.
Speaker 1: And I feel like the brands used to tell us what's cool, and now the internet tells the brands what's cool.
Speaker 2: I have such a big thing. I have a huge draft on my subject. It bothers me I need to talk.
Speaker 1: About I'm like, I the creative director of the fashion houses should be telling me what's cool. The girls on or not even girls, just the people on Instagram or silly TikTok should not be dictating they they try to please the community in like an almost embarrassing way. You are pandering. Yes, they pander to that audience in such a way that it's like where's your creativity, where's your spirit? Where's where's your differential? Like what is different about you? So correct we're aligned on that well because it used to come from in house, like my.
Speaker 3: I feel like it's really tough to say these kind of things because I think the old fashion industry had so much toxicity within it. But when I say this, I don't I'm not referring to that. I kind of miss the og editors. Yeah, like the fashion category that came with being an editor, because to your point, they talked to the brands. The brands were telling us what it was, but they were just making it in a new way and had a different point of view on how to relay it that brands weren't doing.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: It's literally like we're giving a platform.
Speaker 3: Not to say that no one should be posting their personal style, but people take personal style and make it into a bigger deal than it is.
Speaker 2: And then it's like wait, and.
Speaker 1: Then everything looked the same and everyone was complaining because everything looked the same. And I was like, well, that's my problem right now, I'm telling brands what to do, so they're just all doing the same thing.
Speaker 2: I want to shop, I don't know where to shop because everything is everything is identifical, identical, but so much money too that I'm like what, I'm not what?
Speaker 1: They're all just the same. At what point do you think a brand realized is that they need an outside creative perspective And when do you think you come into play.
Speaker 3: Oh that's a great that's a great question. Maybe if your numbers, your views are down, analytics wise, do something to shake it up.
Speaker 2: It's it's I don't know. It's so hard because also our attention.
Speaker 1: Span hm hmmm.
Speaker 2: Like I had this idea that there's like a.
Speaker 3: Twenty four hour expiration on everything we consume. Whereas it used to be like we'll talk about fashion week for days, weeks, months, whatever.
Speaker 2: We're all like there's conversation around it.
Speaker 1: The discussion over Couture Fashion Week was over in literally a day or two.
Speaker 3: I I yeah, and I was like, I'm not even part of that conversation. I have not participating that, yeah, whatsoever. So I don't know if there's like a.
Speaker 1: True moment when they bring you in, yeah, like.
Speaker 3: If there's numbers that tell them, or like if I'm just trending on someone's feed and then they're like, let's do you feel like.
Speaker 1: You being so prominent on social media plays a big role in your business.
Speaker 3: In terms of doing the fun creative shoots. Yes, However, like nobody knows that I do a nine to five or like other things.
Speaker 1: I love that about you, Like, I think that is one of the most interesting things about you. I love that you're a business girl at the heart of it. I love that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's I need like some difference of it because also I get like it's boring.
Speaker 1: Stuck, and yes, it's stagnant and boring.
Speaker 2: And then there's a lot of pressure around it, which sometimes I I'll go ghost. I stop talking with my hand so much. I'm very tick. Like I'm like, wow, i go ghost on social media because.
Speaker 3: I start comparing myself to what other people are doing, and then I'm putting outfits together that I would never wear.
Speaker 2: I do that all the time, and I'm like, what am I doing?
Speaker 3: Sometimes it's cool and it works, I'm like, wow, I kind of like this, but other times I hate the force of it. And I'm sure you know too, Like if you have to do something, you have to get content out, it's better when you're posting constantly.
Speaker 2: The second you stop, you notice it.
Speaker 1: But I do see myself losing my ability to think for myself in a really weird way. Yeah, And I'm like, whoa, I'm just mimicking things that I'm saying. I don't even know. I don't have an opinion. It's literally like nothing. I don't know. I don't know, do I I don't know if I like this, I don't know. Everyone's telling me it's cool. I don't know, and it really does like take away your ability to think for yourself or have a personal style. I feel like you're so good with that though, you have such a unique personal style.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: And I am like, I only want to have girls on that have cool personal style because I feel like it's hard these days just to do something different.
Speaker 2: It is hard.
Speaker 3: Well, that's like kind of what I mean too, Like I get stuck. I'm like, what do I wear every day? I'm like, am I going to pull out another nearly lowtent gene? Which I love and I wear all the time. But there's just a lot of pressure to always be in something new, something cool with this world that I don't know.
Speaker 1: I do think the ways being in something new, the overconsumption is like it's it's discussed, but I don't even think people realize it's how bad it is. Truly, it is constant, constantly having something new, having the newest thing it is. It's honestly disturbing.
Speaker 2: I think that should be a whole thing.
Speaker 3: No, it's wearing your clothes, like obviously we both rewar our stuff, but posting that.
Speaker 1: I've warn these fans three times this week, like say.
Speaker 2: I've wore this top four times, but you literally are pushed and pushed and pushed to have the fresh.
Speaker 1: Thing, the new thing, the new thing, the new thing, the new thing, always changing, always more content, always more, always more. So I like that you have a business outside of it, because then you can kind of take a.
Speaker 2: Step back exact.
Speaker 1: That's why I have this. I want to take a step back from I don't want my entire life and identity and revenue and everything to come from what I post on the internet because I just think it like creates this disturbing, mind melting thing within you.
Speaker 2: Also, like you're you want.
Speaker 3: I believe, like the most successful people who are online, you have a clear and concise point of view, the brands you work with, who you work with, And I think sometimes when people do that full time and don't have a separation or don't have other projects to do to kind of mix it up, it's like we all just know these are paid ads.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hope I'm not being too negative now negative at all.
Speaker 1: It's just it's I think it's important to talk about the what's realistic about it and what's really going on, because I don't think I think people hear influencer or whatever, and I think it needs to be just I think the negatives need to be discussed and they need to be told to people who maybe don't do this every day, just so they know what's really going on. I feel like pulling the curtain back is important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what do you think is like your biggest qualm or like thing?
Speaker 1: I The thing I just like the most about it is feeling like you have to care so much about numbers and views and it's just like gross to me. And then because New York is such a small, little like influencer community, like everyone competing with each I just do not like the female and female competition.
Speaker 2: It's intense.
Speaker 1: It's very intense, and some girls really enable it and drive it, and I don't like that. We can do more looking at this like a business and looking at it as what it is than looking at it as a popularity contest because that's just easy to find. I'm just like, that's easy. Can't like think about it in a more I don't know, cerebral way. And this could be something that enables so many It does enable so many women to have careers and jobs that they wouldn't have and stay at home moms to have their own income and all of that stuff. And I'm like, why don't we look at it that way and not my dad got me this job, or.
Speaker 2: Like just even the negativity of that. I don't want to be here. There's so many.
Speaker 3: Things like look, I get it. I've said that before, Like I'm exhausted towards the end of fashion week.
Speaker 2: We all are. But how lucky are we that we're doing that as our job?
Speaker 1: What is the best piece of it? Speaking of giving advice to women? But we love women, and most of the girls in New York are amazing, But.
Speaker 3: We actually have a really good inner crew of girls that we're so lucky.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, they're There's like twenty five girls that are like true girls, girls that are so sweet that everybody's friends and like.
Speaker 3: M like we have each other's backs, yes, fun, We like take pictures of each other and help each other get their content.
Speaker 1: Are excited to see each other at these pumps because I think it's just so rare. LA wasn't like that, LA like that at all? Did you live in La five years?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: I don't know that it was torture. I can't imagine that the girls were such bullies. It was really terrible. It was why I left. I was like, Okay, I'm not gonna I can't thrive in an environment like this.
Speaker 3: I think it happens everywhere that girls are like that, from when you're in middle school, high school, Like there's always that craziness. But considering how often we see each other and we're all together, like I'm so grateful that we have that good crew.
Speaker 1: No, there are some really amazing girls.
Speaker 2: Otherwise, Like, how do you not beat yourself up over it?
Speaker 1: Truly? And we can bond over it, like you said, we've talked about it at Lancha.
Speaker 2: You can.
Speaker 1: You can kind of be like, I'm not really feeling so great about myself today, and everybody kind of comes together in times like yeah me or I wasn't invited to this thing, and I just like really feel shitty because all of you guys were there, just that kind of vi of like it wasn't even that great. Don't worry girl, you didn't miss it, Yeah, like it was just another thing. Yeah, there are there are some really great girls in New York that do lift all of us up, and I am so grateful for that. But what is your best advice to women who want to work in fashion or something that you wish you knew when you started your fashion career.
Speaker 2: Okay, the first thing I'm going to say is to work hard, and like.
Speaker 1: Fashion knows no hours.
Speaker 3: No hours, And you know, it's changed so much from when I was in house too, But I just remember the time I was kind of leaving that job and the interns I was having, I was like, this just would never fly back in the day, Like you sat, you were quiet, you waited till someone called on you. You did what you had to do, and you were the last in the office first, and like you just worked hard because that's all you had to vouch for you to get further or like higher up in a position or something.
Speaker 2: But I think work hard, get the experience.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: In turn, I tell everybody and like girls who DM me all the time, I'm like, get an internship anywhere.
Speaker 2: What do you want to do? You don't know.
Speaker 3: You just want to work in fashion, internet, every company under different things and figure out what it is because the industry rewards constant or concise.
Speaker 2: Point of views.
Speaker 3: Like clear, concise point of view, you will go further in life with that. I also think, and this is something I learned recently, like your taste is your currency, so develop it, protect it. And with that too, like know you're worth. It's like very hard to like put a number for what you do, but like you have to remember that your ideas will be used and taken, and it's like that's your footprint, that's your taste. So I guess those two things as being the biggest I'm trying to think of what else.
Speaker 2: No, that's great.
Speaker 1: Which you taste is great? Great, really great advice because you're right, and especially with the emergence of things like sub stack and everybody just wants to know more and more and more and more and more. And it's with first glance your Instagram page or your TikTok, what is your taste? What is your style level? What is your everything? So, no, that's that's incredible advice.
Speaker 2: What do you think we search it?
Speaker 1: Oh? I love it. I love it. It brings me so much joy.
Speaker 2: I need to follow yours. I didn't know you did good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love it. No, I really love it. I need to spend more time. It is like my the least amount of time I put towards anything, is that but it's the thing I love the most. I just think it enables you to have such a point of view and just talk to people who actually want to listen to you, because no one's on there that doesn't want to be. It's not Instagram getting force fed things. It's literally like if you subscribe, you get that newsletter, and I feel like I've learned so much about my friends and girls in New York that I know, even in passing, I'll read their subsct I'm like, wow, she's so she's such a beautiful writer, she's so interesting, she's so smart. I didn't realize this about her because you.
Speaker 2: Know, it's not like the same type of stuff you would get into you because on.
Speaker 1: Instagram and TikTok, you're kind of forced to make the same like it's a day. If you don't make what trend, it doesn't go anywhere. So it's like everyone's making the same thing. You think all these people are exactly same. Then you go on subsecond you're like, wait, WHOA, No, she actually is a poet or writes these beautiful essays. Well, like she's a really strong point of view at or like, whoa, she really knows what she's talking about she's like very well read. And when it comes to fashion, yeah, so that I love it, I think. And I just like giving women a space to write. I think it's like amazing. We don't really have that. It's like, yes, where else are we going to do that?
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. It's not happening on Instagram right now. No, it's not.
Speaker 1: Happening on it. You can't like if you write some big paragraph on Instagram, no one's going to read it totally. So I really like that. I am a I love subsets.
Speaker 3: I need to get into it more. I told you I have so many drafts about these things, but you're actually published. I know you're making me think I should do it.
Speaker 1: Look for it and they find you, and there's just like no negativity because your base, a lot of it is paid to paid content. No one's paying for content they don't want to see. No one is paying to follow a creator. They don't want to hear what they have to say. So it's and not to say like, oh it's a bunch of like sick of fants, but it's like they want to be there. So when I've I'm sure you have had this million times people on your TikTok answering going, why is my FYP showing me this? Who is this chick? I don't want to see this, like who are you and why are you on my page? And I'm like, yeah, I didn't as I'm asked to be put in front of you. But on substack they're asking to have your yes and people are the One thing I get the most DM wise is like, can you link this on subset? Can you write a substuck about this? Will you do a substec about this? Where does all those outfits from? Can you link them? And I'm like, dang, you guys are really like you want it, You're on it. Somebody on Instagram really gives that much of a shit if I give them the links, Like people in subsec will you write an article about this? Can you tell me everything that? Like I did a thing this morning, what's in my everything? In my makeup bag? It was heavily asked for and I was like, that's amazing, I really care what's in my makeup? I sure, I'll write you an article about what's in my makeup bag? Like they want it yea, And that is really really refreshing, as opposed to some algorithm like feeding it forcing you to watch it.
Speaker 3: Wait, that's so interesting, do you think? So you don't get it in your dms like people asking you about all your sad.
Speaker 1: Not not, I mean yes, but like the substack, the mote, they want to read it awesome, they want more, they want to like and they love like ketchups on like new releases. Because I'm sure you, like myself, are always shopping, always looking at what's new, always looking at what brands are doing. I try, I should be better like I am windows shopping at all times, just like you know what's I just want to know what's going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to know what.
Speaker 1: The designs are. I want to know what people are wearing. I want to know what they're putting out. I want to know the ads that they're using or I'm interested in that the creative side of it too, what's their strategy everything? And so people like when you kind of round that up for them.
Speaker 2: Because when people do it for me, not ever hours.
Speaker 1: To scroll on the internet, I do. So you know what's round.
Speaker 3: I'm scrolling like I scroll my TikTok right now, TikTok's messed up. I don't know what that's going on my feed is like people slipping on ice. I haven't seen fashion on my feed in a minute.
Speaker 1: Really, mine is literally just like girls making tea in the morning at success, like trying to like I'm trying to make myself have a good morning routine. So mine's literally just like peaceful music and girls in yoga pants. Literally all my TikTok gets.
Speaker 2: I literally I talk it on my phone. I'm like, please give me an interior design inspiration.
Speaker 1: That's another thing that choose on substack. The interior design on substack is incredible, and there are incredible interior designers who have substacks that will like find you the most beautifully curated pieces.
Speaker 2: You need to send me all these people.
Speaker 1: It's very element substack is very elevated. That's what I like about it. It's hard, sophisticated and elevated. Yeah, it's maybe to publish it is very like word pressy, Yeah it is. But once you kind of get it, I'm telling you some community you are will build on there, like it really will suck you in. I am I am always on substacks strong.
Speaker 2: See, That's how it was when I first got on it.
Speaker 3: But my stuff is photos and visuals, Like I don't I need to get on that side of it.
Speaker 2: There's who is it?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I'm gonna send her you But there is a girl, like you said, honing in on your taste. I can't remember her page right now, but her entire she's one of the most popular substackers there is. And her entire thing it's like a folder every month, I want to say, and you click it and then it's just like every image that has inspired her, and like they're just reference photos from the nineties and like incredible interior design that you wouldn't see. It's like it's like a magazine almost, like and it's just photos. She doesn't write anything, but it's just it's just elevated and sophisticated. And you're like, Okay, this is what like the upper echelon of people are looking at and wanting it. No, I have to I cannot remember her name right now, but I will send it to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: She I am like, God, you have such good taste. It's like Tumblr, but for the sheakst person you've ever seen in your life. Okay, love, And she's one of the top ones. And it's just because people want to know what she's looking at love, so I will send her here.
Speaker 2: Wait that's it.
Speaker 1: Sorry, you're going to subtect here.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, but that's interesting because like right now I'm like, oh, that's what dog ears is my substack.
Speaker 2: It's just photos. I've never done writing.
Speaker 1: This is the thing.
Speaker 3: But this is maybe a good piece of advice. You could do the same thing somebody else. Don't give up, Like, yeah, but.
Speaker 1: I do think you should write, if you have drafts, if you have something to say, I do think you should publish it because people really will say and you can write.
Speaker 2: Maybe say and people will read it. Maybe I'll publish it after this comes out.
Speaker 3: Yes is the beginning, Yes, please call points topics.
Speaker 1: You said that taste is your currency. How did you convert your taste into something that drives revenue for you?
Speaker 2: Ooh.
Speaker 3: I have always been a stickler about what I like.
Speaker 2: Like what I will do and what I will not do.
Speaker 3: I think in the beginning, you know, quitting the job, the startup os that and doing this, it was like I'll take anything I can get, I'll try and do anything and see what sticks. But I think staying true to who you are and like the deals you do and the things you put out. Kind of going back to I said before, it's very apparent when you're doing something that is in aligned with who you are or your style, and it's just like, okay, this is a matter, this is something that doesn't make sense. So I think staying true to yourself your like I, and that may come with saying no to deals even though there's good money. Like I didn't always do that obviously, in between jobs, I didn't.
Speaker 2: Really stay true to that.
Speaker 3: I took anything I could because I needed to make money. I couldn't afford to live in the city. It was chaos. But now I'm very strict on that. I think keeping and making your footprint. I just think saying true to you will help convert to revenue later, Like it doesn't happen right away, And it's still weird because sometimes I'll try out stuff and I'm sure you've done stuff, and you're like, wait, this isn't really catching on, or like that's something I really want to do, but there isn't always a way to relate that or change that into revenue.
Speaker 2: So that's incredibly fair.
Speaker 1: What are some ways that you hone your eye and your chase.
Speaker 3: My mood boared like crazy. I'm on Pinterest. Oh my god, I go want it more than I go on Instagram me too, Like.
Speaker 1: Everyone would think like Instagram's.
Speaker 2: I don't care about it.
Speaker 3: I like sharing the things I like and projects I work on, and like trying to catch up with my friends. But Instagram doesn't even give me my friends on my feet anyways, so I'm not going on No.
Speaker 1: Pinteress is like the gold standard.
Speaker 2: It's the best. But I also love buying magazines.
Speaker 3: I love flipping through old prints and getting my mood boards from there, and then physically making mood boards in my apartment. It's like everything I do. I look at Pinterests every day before I get dressed too.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: I love to think about, like what do I want to do? Do I want to try something new with a styaling trick? Do I want to do this that?
Speaker 2: Like I have a whole.
Speaker 3: Board on Pinterest right now for designs that I want to create, like a little line I want to do like things that I love.
Speaker 1: Going to ask you if you wanted to make your own line. That's my next question is would you ever want to start your own brand?
Speaker 2: One hundred percent I do.
Speaker 3: Some of the consulting I do is design consulting for companies or brands, but I would love to have something of my own one day. I'm actually I don't know if I can share this. I'm doing a little summer speak things into Oh, which I'm very excited about because I love bikinis, I love the summer, I love being out East. It's very mod talk focused, so I'm excited for that. But I would love to do a brand. I just don't know what I look like like right now. I would love to have a pattern maker or find someone who could produce small quantity, a few styles and just kind of see where it goes. But when I tell you, I cut my clothes every day. I've done it since I was a little girl. My mom's like, you cut and ruin everything. So I got to try and make it into something else. But I don't how to sew, so I need to learn to do that.
Speaker 1: But I love that. It's giving Brat's movie.
Speaker 2: It's chaos. I'm like pinning stuff. My mom's like, you can see the pin I'm like, but.
Speaker 1: If I put a bow on it, like, the more I can throw off chaos. Chaos, I feel like that's just inherent to being a creative. Though It's like you're always I'm not super creative, but I feel like you guys are always just ripping things apart and cutting things up.
Speaker 3: My best friends, ruining stuff. I realized all my carpets with paint when I was doing.
Speaker 1: Painting things, and yes, and my gen things and turning things into things that weren't playing. Yeah, and I'm like, wait, did that have grommets on it last time I saw you? So yeah, I feel like that's I would love to see your brand. So you want to sweak that into existence?
Speaker 2: You want to have a brand on day one day.
Speaker 1: I love that. I'm maybe everythinking like co tour or like I ready to wear I mean.
Speaker 3: Dial ready to wear, Oh, like I was thinking about it all started because of I mean, Scapareley is one of my favorite brands of all time.
Speaker 1: You're you're scapareally coded for sure.
Speaker 3: But I like, I want to wear that funky stuff to dinner with friends, Like I want the silhouettes.
Speaker 2: And things like that. But I can't afford that either. So that's one thing.
Speaker 1: I mean, no one can, No one can, But like I love the style their stars and the crazy structure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's like that perfect mix of art, fashion and in terrors, which like for me, if I were to actually make a brand, I think it would have to be some type of multi dimensional house that includes art, fashion and lifestylear interiors, because I love interior design. I don't really ever tell anybody that I'm an artist and I have that whole side of things.
Speaker 1: But Cynthia Rally has furniture and it's unbelievable. What yes, exactly, exactly, Yes, she does furniture and it's phenomenal. I think it's better than the clothes.
Speaker 2: What I have to No, it's phenomenal. I need furniture.
Speaker 1: Her whole story is decorated in her own.
Speaker 2: I was just gonna ask, is that so cute? Girl?
Speaker 1: You said you're an artist, you love interiors, you have all these things. I feel like that all plays into your personal style because it's it's bold and experimental and you go there and you do things that other girls aren't doing, which is what I love about your style. How would you describe your personal style in three words?
Speaker 3: Does one of those questions that I actually have written in my notes, or like when someone's like who's your ideal dinner party guests.
Speaker 2: I think about this all the time because it's so hard.
Speaker 3: I think there is a masculine element to it, with like suiting, tailoring, the baggie always in a trouser.
Speaker 1: I die for a trouser. I want to be in a pant.
Speaker 2: Always, always. It's so much more comfortable than it's.
Speaker 1: Really trying to put me in dresses for events and I'm like, I want to pant. Thank you, Yeah, unless the dress is like a very specific look. Uh uh No, I want to pant. It's straw.
Speaker 2: I always want to pant, and like a blazer but down like showy boobs, a little yeah moment, but like pant always comfortable.
Speaker 3: Maybe I like I cannot If I'm uncomfortable, I make it everybody's problem. Like I dress for comfort every time I get dressed, So maybe comfort ease.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's so hard to say, because.
Speaker 1: Like, where are you shopping? Where are the places you like to shop? Are you a big vintage girl? I'm getting into it.
Speaker 3: I've always loved finding that random piece. It's always happened randomly. I never like sought out going to store trying to do the vegiting. Every time I do, I don't find anything. But I think that that's also huge trend right now of mixing the vintage and modern stuff together. Maybe that goes back to a point of everyone's doing the same thing that we need.
Speaker 1: I mean, I feel like vintage is now like not even a little overdone. Yeah, it's like everyone's the all vintage. Yeah, no it's But I think a lot of the old silhouettes too. For me, are is my style? Like I'm either in it like I'm saying a trouser, a baggy pant and some low wait, low neck something up here, or I'm in a Maxi dress like I live in a Maxi dress and a slip silk dress.
Speaker 2: So for vintage, I love it. Let me think of one other world?
Speaker 1: Are there like go to spots in New York that you love for shopping.
Speaker 3: I used to keep this this is when I need like phone a friend and called Maggie Clamscow because she would go every Friday to a new spot and find these stores and like hole in the walls.
Speaker 1: She better read an article about this. I need to know.
Speaker 2: She used to post them on her stories, and.
Speaker 1: I can find places to go that I can never I'm at the same place as every other chicks at like I'm the basic bitch in line with the same people. I'm like, I don't know, this is what you guys said was cool.
Speaker 2: I don't know. That's kind of how I feel.
Speaker 3: Or I'm online shopping, yeah, I haven't chopped since so long, though, Like I don't know the close spots in the city. I know that there is this woman who I did gate keep forever, who I got all my vintage slip dresses from, who is Lower east Side.
Speaker 2: It's aw coffmin Okay, wow. She is like I don't even know I explain this. It's almost I don't want to say she's a hoarder. But there are a thousand poly bag dresses and you go in there and she's like all these bins of like kristind you or Teddy's like little bra and anddie sets that are so cute and they're like thirty five dollars.
Speaker 1: So it's amazing and a good today, good gift to give somebody. Wow.
Speaker 2: But then you tell her like what you look or wanting what you're looking for, like a I'm always like I want to lace dress, this this blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: She literally like this, she like patterns to like like colors, and she like pulls out She's like yes, no, like she doesn't let me touch it.
Speaker 2: She just like goes through it all and then it's amazing pieces. Oh my gosh, a good movie.
Speaker 1: No, that's a fantastic New York shout out. And she sounds like anick girl herself. She's we love a hoarding creative, a girl that's awesome, that's iconic. Yeah, I love that, Okay, love her. I will be going there immediately. Do you feel like your style has changed as your career has changed.
Speaker 3: Only in the sense I can maybe afford more expensive pieces nowadays.
Speaker 2: I felt that girly, But otherwise now I think I've kind of.
Speaker 1: Stuck to your personal Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think there's always an element of my core style in an outfit, Like if I'm doing something different.
Speaker 1: Is there a style you'll never wear no matter how trendy it is? Like? Is there some never never wear no goes for you?
Speaker 2: Yes? What are those boots like the like hoob.
Speaker 1: Margella, the tabbies.
Speaker 3: Yes, I can't do it. I don't like the look on me. I think other people rocket that's like a hot take. No one has said no. One likes when I say that.
Speaker 2: I don't like that. I don't like crocs. Yeah, you'll never catch me in a crock. The tabby is that.
Speaker 1: Someone asked me the other day. She was like, what what is your take on? Like what do you feel? Do I do it? Do I not do it? And I was like, look, I think if you do it, you're the coolest girl ever. Like you are a fashion girl. You are going there, you are bold. Do you get in it? It? Jella like your ass. But if you think they're ugly, you're also right, Like I'm like you're I'm like, you'll be high fashion. But I'm like, do I think anyone is going to get it? If you're not in like New York or Paris or London or something like, No, I'm gonna get it. You're on the way. She's dressed like you. She lives in California, And I was like, not in main like LA. Even in LA, I think that's pushing it because I feel like they're very like basic. Yeah, everyone's looks the same. So I was like, in California, do I think anyone's gonna appreciate it? Or like it. No, But do I think you'll be such a bad ass for wearing them?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes, but they are like dress for you, Yeah, dress for your thing. I'm like, I don't do it, But when I see a girl in it, I'm like, that girl is confident and that girl knows herself and I love that d So yeah, I'm with you, and I'm like, I get it.
Speaker 2: But no, yeah, I'm saying I don't know. They just like I can't get on that track.
Speaker 1: Is there anything twenty twenty six trending wise with style that you're just absolutely loving, Like these weird A just gonna say the Napoleon Napoleon military jacket jacket that's my favorite trend of twenty me too, because I've always loved it.
Speaker 3: I literally have jackets from my mom from twenty years ago that I've just kept and I love them.
Speaker 2: I can't find them now, which is driving me crazy. But I love the look. I'm so here for it. I feel like it's kind of with boho trend sheet that's going on, but within Boho intro right now is having I think could come back. I'm loving everything they're doing, obviously, Chloe. Everyone's on the clothes.
Speaker 1: Has always been incredible, and I feel so underrated. It's so so underrating.
Speaker 3: I feel like I just talked to you about this the other day, but it wasn't you. Someone else said that so underrated. They don't get enough press or coverage.
Speaker 2: They've always remained, they've always kept their brand image when they've never ventured off based on trends and stuff, but they just kind of didn't get the same reporting or coverage. I feel like over the last few years, if you.
Speaker 1: Find an etropiece and a vendage short literally doesn't matter where it's from, it's not only stunning, but it looks exactly like what they're making right.
Speaker 2: Now, correct exactly and it's different and it's expensive, but it's well made.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, Metro girl for.
Speaker 3: Life, loving it like vintage, Like we're saying vintages back. I think vintage watches. I don't know if that's just very niche and what I'm going down a rabbit hole on, but vintage watches, yeahs are gonna be cool. Bit I feel like big bags are going to be a thing, or they are a thing. Everyone's carrying the Hobo's back. Thank god, I.
Speaker 2: Want that freaking Botega Hobo.
Speaker 1: The big Bige mask, I want it so bad. And that Gucci Oneman that's swayed Gucci one. Oh my god, that's my dream bag. Gorgeous, it's insane.
Speaker 2: The one that they have the fur into, which I don't know if it comes in fur.
Speaker 1: But I believe in it was in the show. I bet it's phenomenal, so good. I love a big bag. I'm not a bag girl. I never have a bag. I will give my phone to anybody in a place. If you are carrying a mini bag, you're not a working woman. You cannot tell me you don't need to carry stuff all day. I'm like, I have shit I got to take with me. Yes, I'm going to work, and then if I'm going out, I'm just going to change my shoes. I gotta change my outfit. It's like I got all these things I need. I have a folder in my purse at all times, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, I need a big bag, need a toe, Yes, I just grab it towards toe, but I'm here for if it's coming back big like Selene that yeah bag, that's yes, he on it. Morgan Stewart posted it and I.
Speaker 1: Was like, girl, she's on it. She's so good, she is really on it. I think it's because she can just afford things that no one else can. So it's not even like.
Speaker 2: But she has taste.
Speaker 1: She does have taste, but it's like she's buying the twelve thousand dollar jacket. I'm my god, I didn't even know they made that. Yeah, I've never seen that. Nobody offers. She's getting the thing that you're like, Oh my god, I didn't even know that existed in this world.
Speaker 2: Totally, and I love it. She's so good.
Speaker 3: Trying to think there's any other things. I'm kind of over the belts, the craziness of belts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, I like a sleek.
Speaker 2: Like a sleek one belt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like a like a cape moss all black, a little tiny skinny belt ninety supermodel live. That's more me than the big chunky belt, yes, or like triple belt that everyone's doing.
Speaker 2: That's what I mean, Like, I can't, I need we need to.
Speaker 1: I'm not. I'm also just not. I'm a maximalist in some ways, but I'm not a maximalist in the like success, I want a jingle jingle, jingle, jingle, and then my neck is jingling on my arms are jing belts on. And I have a skirt on top of a skirt that's just not.
Speaker 2: Me personally, same not me.
Speaker 3: Although I usually this, like the first time I haven't had a crazy stack on those jingle a little.
Speaker 2: But it's a certain girl, yeah, I think, And it's cool but not free. I think it's I think it's making its way out. Actually with that too. The last thing last in I will say is suiting. Yes, I'm so here for it, but I think we keep seeing all these runway shows with all the women wearing suiting, especially y s l love and ties, so I'm like bringing on, Yeah, no, I'm I want.
Speaker 1: Everybody at the Wiesel beauty party the other night was wearing a suit or like a tie, which is very why I sell. But I also was like yes to women dressed like yeah, I love this, Like I really like I love the tie trend, or we would.
Speaker 3: Look sick in one of those like the full the boxy, the shoulder and lighten like the due bearing.
Speaker 1: War ViBe's she's into a suit, Oh yeah she is. She always has a tie on it. I love that. I'm like, you have your own show. You should be wearing a suit and tie. Yes, like duh okay, last question, so no, I love it. Who do you think is the ultimately girl and why does she inspire you?
Speaker 2: Bailey?
Speaker 3: Since you started You're serious, I'm not even kidding. Since the first video you put out, I have asked myself this question.
Speaker 2: Maybe once we love like Roman Empire.
Speaker 1: And it can be five people. It doesn't have to be a celebrity, just know it can be whatever you want.
Speaker 3: Definitely a culmination. I think it's do you know the Attico girls?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: And Georgia, who is incredible, Yes, love my gosh, one of my favorite brands.
Speaker 3: If I could take those two and Laurie and Marcy Hirschlaver, that is probably Jingle totally, the queens of the Queen of Stacking and Jingling. They are so rad and I feel like those two are those four like put together is probably a mix of everything I like to wear in that look. But then Ralf Lauren as a whole, not like one specific but just that vibe.
Speaker 1: Ralf Lauren is a nick girl.
Speaker 2: Let it be known so, and right now they're like popping off. I get inspo all the time, though, like and it's mine, doesn't usually come from people. It comes from the art and interiors. But like a Zoe Kravitz moment.
Speaker 1: She no one ever says her, and I'm like, where's the love for Zoe Kravitz. Her style is beyond.
Speaker 2: But it's as a stylist.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Which then I'm like, Who's I gotta figure out who the stylist is. She's Rad Miley Cyrus love the latex white tank top chanel like Rad Rad. So it's a mex I would say those right now.
Speaker 1: Ultra cool girls though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you like the ultra cool girl, and like I like a point of view or like laid down, laid back cash. But like when Zoe Kravitz is walking around in her little like Adida shorts in a little click clack shoe like rad.
Speaker 1: I loved her T shirt Adidas short high heel up. I love it save And she's just like in her ballet flats, walking around looking like the coolest girl alone. And I feel like it's it's an attitude and an energy that's that itck girl energy of like, yes, I'm wearing a T shirt, jeans and ballet flats, but I'm the coolest girl in this room.
Speaker 2: Yeah, It's like the white tank top theory.
Speaker 1: Yep, yeah, perfect. I'm actually almost worried to I'm all about the white tank top. I'm in a white tank top daily because I'm like, just cool.
Speaker 2: It's cool, it's cool, and you know it's.
Speaker 1: Gonna wear matches, everything goes with everything.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm sabulous.
Speaker 1: Get us our white tank top immediately. Ladies, you need five thousand of them. Okay, thank you so much. It was such a pleasure having you. Can you tell everyone where they can find you on social media?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Livvy Duncan on Instagram, Livvy R. Duncan on TikTok, and dog Ears on substack.
Speaker 1: Your substack is going to have a real This is kind of the.
Speaker 2: Substack and I kind of get home and start writing.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to read it and published and we are or I am at Bailey t Taylor and at A Girl the series on Instagram. Stay tuned next week for another A Girl. Thank you girl,