Speaker 1: What kind of a show you guys putting.
Speaker 2: On here today?
Speaker 1: You're not interested in armed Now we look, we're going to do this thing. We're going to have a conversation from Chicago. This is Film Spotting celebrating our twentieth year. I'm Josh Larson and I'm Adam Kempinar. Listen.
Speaker 3: If there's one surefire rule that I have learned in this business is that I don't know anything about human nature.
Speaker 1: I don't know anything about curiosity.
Speaker 2: That's not part of what I do.
Speaker 1: What I this is my business.
Speaker 2: And when I'm sorry to cut you off there, mister Hackman, but I think you actually might know a thing or two about curiosity in human nature.
Speaker 1: That is the late great Gene Hackman in nineteen seventy fours the Conversation. This week our top five Hackman scenes.
Speaker 2: Plus the film Spotting Madness, Best of the twenty first century so far, Sweet sixteen and more. It's all ahead.
Speaker 1: Can we just call him Pappy?
Speaker 2: On Film Spotting?
Speaker 1: Mama tell the roll out of it that she ran to the body station.
Speaker 4: When if Paba found out he began a shout, he started the investigation. It agives them.
Speaker 5: This episode is brought to you by Peloton break through the busiest time of year With the brand new Peloton Cross Training tread Plus powered by Peloton Iq. With real time guidance and endless ways to move, you can personalize your workouts and train with confidence, helping you reach your goals in less time. Let yourself run, lift, sculpt, push and go. Explore the new Peloton Cross Training Treadplus at Oneploton dot Com.
Speaker 2: Welcome to film Spotting. Later in the show, film Spotting Madness Best of the twenty first century so far, Josh, we started with sixty four. We are now down to sixteen. We will have Round two results and those sweet sixteen matchups. Voting is live right now as we speak at film spotting dot Net slash Madness. We're faced with matchups like Mad Max Fury Road versus Zodiac, So this round should be really easy. Again that's film Spotting dot Net slash Madness. Also later in the show, Josh, you have thoughts on a few new releases, including Michael Shannon's directing debut and Nicole Kidman in Holland not the country but the city in Michigan, which is a little town you know quite well.
Speaker 1: I mean, I thought I did, but apparently there's all sorts of nefarious stuff going on at them. I'm a bit concerned now.
Speaker 2: But first, Gene Hackman, the two time Oscar winner, died last month at ninety five. We knew immediately we owed Hackman a top five. It's been a few weeks. We've been doing some prep, some homework that paid off, I'd say for both of us.
Speaker 1: Josh, yeah, we knew immediately. And then how quickly were you daunted by the proact? Just knowing We did put this off for a little bit to do that homework. But still, you look at the filmography, you'd have to take a year to properly assess his entire career. But I feel good about the work we did. To your point, we saw some films for the first time, including one we'll get to that you and I both loved, watched a few things, and so I think we did our due diligence, and I think we will do Hackman's legacy justice with this.
Speaker 2: Let's hope. Let's go ahead and make that attempt. Now, how did you approach your Gene Hackman top five? And go ahead and tell us, when ready what your number five? Gene Hackman scene is.
Speaker 1: So started, you know, just doing the basic bio research. In one place I usually turn is Ephraim Katz's film Encyclopedia when a legend passes, and I love what he had there, just the first line character star of Hollywood films, not character actor, character star, and I thought, okay, that's perfect, right, Just that's Hackman right there. And so I had that in my mind and then thought, you know more, Okay, what does make him that distinction not just a character actor we love, not just your traditional star, but what combines those two qualities. And I really did come to what I feel is the quintessential Hackman character after doing a lot of this work, Adam, and to me, it is the self deluded cock of the walk. So in many of his movies, Hackman's roosters they can back it up, right. I think this is one thing we love about him is he barks and he bites. That's entertaining. But I think in his best performances, Hackman wears a shit eating grin and he has to actually eat the shit. That is what is fascinating about him and how he can play that line. And obviously he has ranged beyond this. There's definitely a heroic side to him as well. I do want to note over on my Facebook page heard from a former newspaper colleague, Niki Roller, and she shared this Gene has been a cinematic rock for me in his movies that probably lacked critical acclaim. I can and do appreciate his less mainstream efforts, but for me, I will remember him as an actor who taught leadership and sacrifice. I miss him already, and so I wanted to note that because I think that's true and a very good point about a lot of the roles he took. It's not where my list leaned, however, and I could have sprinkled some of that in. I could have gone for the Pope Prix represent his range route and one of my picks does that to a degree. But for me, most of them are variations on this Hackman rooster who gets called out for his crowing. That's kind of where I landed after reassessing things. So I'm going to start in a place like that with my number five pick, and it comes from that decade we associate most with Hackman. It's the seventies. This is Night Moves nineteen seventy five. Adam I was assigned this film in the only film appreciation class that my college offered, so of course I took the class, and that's where I first encountered it. Maybe something of a curious choice, especially if this is the only offering you have for all of cinema. But Night Moves is one we considered. I didn't remember all that much about it, some of the images, but I thought I got to give this one another look, you know, just the fact that my professor chose it to be so representative, and wow, is it a key text in this Hackman rooster theory. He plays Harry Moseby here, a former football star turned la private eye, and at the beginning of the movie he's hired by this aging movie actress to track down her promiscuous teen daughter played by Melanie Griffith, who, you know, talking seventies is kind of uncomfortably was uncomfortably on the edge of legality when this movie was made, So so take that aspect of it with a grain of salt. Now, Night Moves also, when you look at its time and its context, came out a year after Chinatown, and it's definitely in a similar noir mold. You have Harry here the Hackman character as a Jake Gettis type. I think this cocky detective who has a bit of a haughty side to him that ends up blinding him to what's really going on. And like Chinatown, Night Moves is partly about Harry coming to that self realization. So we get a hint of this. My favorite hint of this is in my pick my actual scene. This is a very quiet mid movie moment between Harry and Griffith's deli. This is after he's caught up with her in Florida. He's kind of assessed the situation of what's going on with her there, and he has convinced her to come home. He's rebuffed her advances. So they're having this quiet conversation and she offers him this compliment.
Speaker 2: I think people, you okay.
Speaker 1: Em an ace? Yeah, yeah, I'm an ace. I mean the line delivery alone tells you he doesn't fully believe it, but he's trying to sell it. His face though, if you can watch this scene, Hackman's face betrays that he doesn't really think of himself as okay, let alone anything like the good guy, you know, the heroic detective in this scenario. So I do think that that tension is where happens. Best characters lived between what they're selling to others into themselves what they actually are, and then how aware they are of the gap between the two. So I'm an ace from Night Moves is my number five.
Speaker 2: Night Moves was a film I didn't see for the first time, and I have only seen it once. I saw finally in twenty twenty that first month of COVID. You may recall, Josh that I was just trying to use some of that newfound free time to catch up with some blind spots, some films that I didn't really have a good explanation for why I had never seen. And it started with Dirty Harry, a film I'd seen many moments from multiple times but never actually watch the whole film from start to finish. And then I watch Lenny, the Bob Fosse movie. I realized I was watching films that had all been shot by Bruce Surtiz, and that then took me to Night Moves, which had always been on my radar as an Arthur Penn film and a Hackman film that I needed to see. But it was that accidental Sirtees marathon that finally forced me to watch it. This is what I wrote on letterboxed about it, and I just noticed this now as you were referencing your pick, Josh. The more I think about how utterly incapable of connection everyone in the movie is and how it disappoints as a noir, the more I recognize how such disillusionment and dissatisfaction is precisely the point also, Colin Gene Hackman, incapable of connection, disillusionment, dissatisfaction. These ideas may come up again throughout my list. Looking it over. The challenge for me, besides just having to consider, as you said, so many good scenes, so many good performances, characters, movies, the challenge was between the best scenes featuring Gene Hackman and the best Gene Hackman scenes right, because there are so many iconic examples to consider, And I started piecing together how the same characteristics that make Hackman such a commanding presence to watch as a good guy very often, they're the same traits that make him such a good villain or a good anti hero. There is a practicality to his characters often and a persistence to them. It can be admirable at times, but in other cases his characters are driven by an end justifies the means kind of philosophy that gets him into a little bit of trouble or maybe gets him into trouble with us as viewers. And to your point about his confidence, there is often that quiet confidence that can occasionally cross over into full blown arrogance where we are happy to see him get a bit of come uppance. And it's not just the the Hackman chuckle that can be merry or menacing, Josh, it's even just the twinkle in his eyes. So many scenes I realized I was considering, we're completely nonverbal, yeah, Hackman.
Speaker 1: That's a tough thing about this list and thinking about doing this show right is we're gonna share scenes, and I'm realizing for so many of these we're missing fifty percent of the magic.
Speaker 2: That's it. The magic is in his watching, his listening, his withholding, in his subtle reacting. Sometimes he's just perhaps playing an instrument I don't know, like a saxophone. The end of the conversation is a perfect example of this dilemma right all time great end scene extremely memorable. Is it a great Gene Hackman scene or is it a great scene featuring Gene Hackman. What about the car chase in The French Connection, maybe the greatest car chase in cinema, and Hackman's purely physical performance is part of why it's great. I'll say that, but is it the number one reason? Is it even the number two reason why it's great? Maybe I'd entertain the argument, but it is a discussion that we'd have to have. I did try to strike a balance where I was representing his most iconic characters and moments, but also reflecting his dramatic range and that judicious balance of calmness and quiet with those occasional explosions of anger or violence that we get with Gene Hackman. My number five is from The French Connection, and it's the end scene, and it's this line reading, in particular, Josh I saw him. I'm going to get him. I may not have the car chase here, but it felt wrong to have a top five Hackman list without Popeye Doyle on it.
Speaker 3: Popeyes here, if your hand on your heads.
Speaker 6: Get off the barn, get on the wall, Come on, move move.
Speaker 2: I rewatched this just a few days ago, and look, it's William Friedkin's film The Big Swings, like the car Chase the pure propulsive energy of it. It is by no means an actor's showcase. Fernando Ray is kind of fun as the bad guy I dig Roy Scheider, but there's nothing really memorable about his performance or his character Cloudy. If you took all of Hackman's lines in The French Connection and combine them, it probably wouldn't fill more than three to four pages of the screenplay. And yet try to imagine that movie working half as well as it does without the depth of Hackman's characterization. How Hackman renders and Friedkin captures behavior. Popeye Doyle doesn't say much, and he never says anything really about himself. He doesn't express his inner longings and emotions, but we know exactly who Popeye Doyle is and that propulsive energy that's driven by Popeye's obsession. Do we want to see the bad guys get busted because it's a crime thriller and we want that kind of resolution, Probably, but we really want that resolution because of Popeye's relentless and occasionally reckless pursuit, his absolute tunnel vision, which all culminates in that end scene, and freedkin staging of it is so great that final shootout in the old building, the emptiness of it, the eeriness of Don Ellis's score. It somehow feels like a manifestation of Popeye's deranged psyche and i'll use your word, delusional psyche. But the wonder of that scene is that final line, and Hackman's line reading he has just mistakenly shot an FBI agent trying to chase down the same drug dealer that he is, and when confronted with this fact, he's unfazed. He's undeterred, aldered, you shot muldered.
Speaker 1: Some of it is here. I saw it.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna get him.
Speaker 2: What I think is so incredible about that line, Josh, and what Hackman does with it is despite what I said before being true, he's completely deranged in this moment. He is manic, but he doesn't yell, he doesn't even really raise his voice. He somehow brings just a hint of humanity and even vulnerability to pop Eye to such an extent that you almost feel sorry for him in that moment rather than feeling potentially repulsed by it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it's because there's a crack of self awareness, perhaps for the first time in the movie. And yeah, I rewatched this as well for this list, just because it is one of those Hackman titles that comes up first and I wanted to find that scene. Spoiler, it's an honorable mention for me. Didn't make the top five, but I would have gone exactly where you went. Really, this is the moment. I thought about the busting up the bar scene earlier, but that's like the pure Hackman blood. That's like what we love to see, right, because you can't believe he's walking in and just immediately owning that place that he really shouldn't even be in. So I thought about that one, but you nailed why. This is the scene from the French Connection, and it is his glassy eyed non response to shooting the other agent that is terrifying. But I think you're right. Also allows us a peek into Popeye realizing for just a split second who he really is. And then again to your point, like he plows ahead anyway, he's not going to like pause and reassess and really consider the depths of his humanity. But there's that little glimmer that Hackman, even in this wild, you know, action driven movie, is able to carve out some space for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just think a lesser actor would have delivered that line as if it was being driven more by adrenaline, the adrenaline of the character in that scene and having to reckon with what he's just done. I think that reckoning is there. I think we are seeing the crack starting to come through, but he plays it so subtly, he plays it as if he really is processing it in that moment, and then yes, he does proceed.
Speaker 1: On all right. Number four. This is my Unforgiven pick, and I wasn't quite sure if this was going to make my list, you know, because I read we did a Sacred Cow review. I think Adam of Unforgiven a handful of years ago, so it was fairly fresh for me. I read what I originally wrote about the film, and you know, Hackman didn't come up a lot. So I was thinking to myself, Okay, why didn't I make a point? And maybe he did in our conversation. I didn't re listen to that, But why didn't he Why doesn't he stick in in my mind more than just the villain? So I did go through and watch basically every scene of his in the movie because they're all available online. Because this is one of those Hackman roles and Yeah, there is obviously so many layers there beyond the big bad guy of Unforgiven. That is, he lingers in our memory that way, because this is a movie full of tough, violent men, and Hackman's merciless sheriff little Bill here is maybe the scariest one, right, and there are so many intimidating scenes that attest to that. So that's what we have in our memory. But Steve Emily, writing on my Facebook page, he called out the slightly different scene that I'm going to go with, and this is little Bill's final moments after he's been shot by Clint Eastwood's William Money, and basically he's staring down the barrel of Money's gun here, I'll.
Speaker 2: Have to serve this.
Speaker 1: To die like this, I was filling the huff deserves, got nothing to do with it.
Speaker 2: I'll see you in hell, Money.
Speaker 1: Steve Emily again nailed exactly what makes this moment so key for me. He wrote, a man finally realizing that he's not the hero, and I love that because there is a version of Unforgiven where little Bill is the hero.
Speaker 2: Of course, and he certainly sees himself that way.
Speaker 1: That's it, that is it. He's trying to preserve the peace in this small town. Right, He's only implying employing violence because that's the world he lives in. This is the world of the movie. Certainly that's the version playing in little Bill's head. Because how about the phrase we get here, I was building a house. I mean to insert that there, great screenwriting, but also to be able to move from that to who little Bill really is. You know, we've seen his vindictiveness, his cruelty, his arbitrary application of the law, so we know differently. But this is a glimpse into his head, that one line, and then to switch this is the hackman's subtlety to switch from that openness. It's the same openness you were just talking about at the end of the French connection, that little crack, that little glimmer. Then he switches to I'll see you in Hell, and his face changing to match. That's when little Bill faces that truth when he makes that shift. So so yeah, so many good choices from Unforgiven, but I'll see You in Hell is going to be number four on my list.
Speaker 2: I'm realizing with that line, and that is the line of that scene, I was building a house. We could just do top five Gene Hackman line readings. That's what it really could be, this list instead of scenes, because there are so many good ones to choose from, and it says so much just by being so concise, this idea of building a house, as if he's trying to suggest to the world that I really am a good person. But also I'm not really this person like William Money is. I'm someone who is settled down. I've eschewed the outlaw kind of life. I'm listening to the citizen, the right kind of life. That's it and it doesn't matter. And as William Money says, deserve has nothing to do with it. It's so good. My number four is one where I'm going to pick up the vulnerability theme again. Long time since I've seen the movie The Conversation. I'll thank Joshua t ruth Over on the film spotting facebook page for reminding me of this scene where Hackman's Harry Call is talking to a woman he has met at a party. It's Meredith, played by Elizabeth McCrae. They're sharing what seems to be a very intimate moment together. They're alone in this big space, the space where he works effectively his office, but they're alone, They're up against a pillar, there is no space between them. She's certainly expressing romantic interest in him, and probably thinks that he's expressing romantic interest in her. Though what we realize is that he's completely hung up on Terry Gar's and Harry trusts no one. He confides in no one. He's unwilling to betray anything about who he really is. And yet in this moment, he he does feel at least safe enough to open up a little bits.
Speaker 1: You never really know when he was going to come to see.
Speaker 3: He just lived in a room alone and you knew nothing about him. And if you loved him, you're a patient with him. And even though he didn't dare ever tell you anything about himself personally, even though he may have want you, would you qut you would you go back to.
Speaker 2: How I know?
Speaker 1: How do you think it out? In't have no wife, not anyone.
Speaker 2: Here's one of those moments, joshuare. What you can't see just listening to the audio of that clip is the way Harry almost mutters before he says anything. It's like he's so uncomfortable and he's so reticent to speak that he has to almost test his lips out before he makes an actual sound, and that bravado certainly the bravado we associate with Little Bill and many other Hackman characters, it's completely stripped away with Harry Call. There is a cautiousness to the way he talks, There's a cautiousness to the way he holds himself. He not only doesn't fully trust her, he doesn't trust himself in mos like this, And the line here is you'd have no way of knowing his answer to her question, which actually doesn't really feel like an answer to her question. He doesn't say it matter of factly. He doesn't say it like he is answering her. There's enough disappointment in himself and self contempt that seeps in. It's as if he's saying, right, of course, how could you go back to him when you could never know he loved you. Hackman is just too understated to show us the light bulb going off, But that's effectively what's happening there. He Harry Call, is realizing something through this exchange, and he's realizing something profoundly sad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's all in the pauses, the nonverbal gestures that you're describing in this scene, and that is a great line too. That's a moment almost it's almost like he's come to this observation about humanity, humanity that applies to this situation. But that's what hitting him right there, but he doesn't deliver it that way. You know. It's it's like this, this just little a side of despair, resignation Hackman. Resignation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, a good word, but it's it's resignation and it's a realization of unfortunately hopelessness. There's there's a hopelessness with this character. This is something he is never going to be able to get over.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is, you know, a fitting theme for that film. I do have conversation as an honorable mention for me, a different moment, but maybe we'll get to that when we get to honorable mentions. My number three comes from Mississippi Burning Story about my daddy. This one was my homework. Actually it was a first time watch for me. Even though this was a nineteen eighty eight Oscar nominee. I remember it at that time when I would have been so into what was going on with the Oscars and somehow would have been in middle school and still didn't see this, but yeah. Hackman Best Actor nomination for this one as well. He plays an FBI agent alongside partner Willem Dafoe, assigned to investigate the disappearance of three civil rights activists in rural Mississippi. Is set in nineteen sixty four, and they're a bit of an odd couple. Dafoe is this younger, naive, hard charging idealist. Hackman's character, we learn, used to be a sheriff in the South, so he has a much better understanding of what they're actually up against here. And there's this point when Dafoe sort of rhetorically wonders where all this hatred he's encountering comes from, and then Hackman meanders into a story from his childhood about his father having poisoned a black neighbor's mule because the neighbor's farm was doing better than his father's.
Speaker 7: One time, we were driving down the road and we passed Monroe's place and we saw it was empty. He just packed up and the laft I guess gone up north or something. I looked over in my daddy's face, and I knew he'd done it.
Speaker 1: He saw that. I knew he's shame. I guess he was shamed.
Speaker 7: He looked at me and he said, if you any better than your son, who are you better than?
Speaker 1: I think that's an excuse. No, it's not an excuse to this story about Mandandy. Think of what Hackman is accomplishing here in just one folksy little yarn. The first thing, and you know the screen play has a lot to do with this, But the first thing, he's painting a sociological portrait of the racial and economic realities of the American South in the early twentieth century. Okay, so we're getting that in this indelible image and little story. He's also telling us everything we need to know about how his character came to be who he is and retains what attitudes he has that we've already picked up on. Then he's hinting at the self reflective qualities. Anderson also has right that he is not just eating up his family's history, but thinking about it and what that says about his own place in the dynamics of this case that they're investigating. So he's basically here sharing both where he came from, how he understands that he's not exactly part of that past, but still kind of is you know, he's not refuting this to the foe and totally like saying you're right and all these people are morons. He's trying, he's trying to wrestle with this reality in real time here and over on Blue Sky. Stephen Kotch put it this way. This scene is not only a thesis for the film, but Hackman delivers the story perfectly. An old man who was just so full of hate he didn't know being poor is what was killing him. That remains depressingly pression. So over all, I would say I was a little disappointed in Mississippi Burning, not just because it's you know, it has sort of the oscary stuff I expected, but this does in the way that the French connection keeps a bit of a distance from Popeye's vigilanteism, this Mississippi Burning kind of endorses that by the end, and it's all largely enacted by Hackman's character in the climax, and it's just this kind of bitterly ironic thing for a movie about civil rights and protecting civil rights, that to my mind, it ends up endorsing. You know, if you're on the right side of history, you can do it. So that was a little disturbing, but you know, Hackman overall, I will say, keeps the movie on its toes because here he is playing another character who's simmering in this sense of moral unease. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I do love that exchange. And this is a nod not just to Hackman, but to the editor of this scene. That moment when Defoe kind of challenges him back and says, oh, so that's the excuse, and he immediately responds and says, no, this is just a story about my daddy. Yeah, And it's as if he's acknowledging that I'm telling you this parable, because like a good parable, there is some larger meaning and depth to it. But let's not read into it too much. It is ultimately a story just about my daddy. And that's that little Hackman twinkle that comes through in that moment. Here's my unforgiven pick at number three. I'm going with the scene where we see the sadistic side of Little Bill really come out beating up Richard Harris's English Bob outside the barber shop. We've got to get some Hackman swagger in here. I've been talking about sadness and vulnerability, that devilish grin. We never see it with Harry Call, we barely see it with Popeye Doyle. But Little Bill is a devil who is sure enjoying his authority. And English Bob and his biographer arrive in town. They initially forego giving up their firearms when asked by one of Little Bill's deputies. That leads to this confrontation outside the barbershop, with a Little Bill holding court in front of the entire town, and that quiet confidence. Hackman plays him almost the whole time, with his hand on his hip, standing with a certain posture as if he's he's a little laid back about the whole thing. But we see how focused he is. We know that he's ready to strike if he has to. We certainly know that he's ready to draw his gun if he needs to. But he's steady, he's unflappable. He never raises his voice at all until.
Speaker 1: I guess you think I'm kicking you, Bob.
Speaker 6: So what I'm doing is, yeah, I'm pugging all of films down there in Candace, and I'm plugging all of films in Massaiah.
Speaker 1: Not a shame, I'm telling the right now, Horse Golf.
Speaker 2: We get an explosion of violence from him. That's similar to the showdown in Crimson Tide with Denzel Washington that a lot of people wrote in suggesting that he should consider for this list. Of course, that's strictly verbal, but it's another moment where a Hackman character finally just abandons professional courtesy. And how about that line as he's beating him, I guess you think I'm kicking you, Bob, And I said, he's holding court. He is. He's using English Bob and his loathing for English Bob, which is legitimate because of their past, to send a larger message to others who may be deciding to come to town. And my favorite touch one of those touches that you want to give the actor credit for that you feel like you have to assume it was something the act or chose to do, but of course it might have been in the script, it might have been something that Eastwood himself suggested. But after all that punching and kicking English Bob, Bloody Hackman just finally is so mad he throws his cowboy hat at him, and that act shows how little respect he has for him, but also shows that he's not quite as unflappable as he makes himself out to be. That's where we see that little sadistic street to little Bill come out. There is a look in his eye as he's yelling at the townspeople to leave that has that same hint of madness that we see in Popeye Doyle at the end of the French Connection. We're all looking at go Long, get out here. Who.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that throwing the hat makes it personal too, like he wouldn't do that if they didn't have that history. So it's a gesture that speaks to the character's past, which is so brilliant. But yeah, mostly this scene, it is that really frightening boiling over and also the smugness that's attendant to it. The beginning of the scene has that you were describing, has such a smugness, which I think is also a quality shared by so many of Hackman's great characters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it helps when you're probably fairly confident in your abilities as a sheriff and as a gun slinger, but when you also have like eight deputies around all the goods, right, it's really easy to be in confident. Right, more Hackman coming later in the show.
Speaker 1: Well, listening to us is the number one thing you can do to support an independently produced show like Film Spotting, But there are a couple of other things. If you'd like to help us out, you could take a minute to give us a rating or review on Apple Podcasts or Spotify. Doesn't matter if you're a first time listener or if you've been listening for twenty years. Every new review helps us reach new listeners. You could also support us by joining the Film Spotting Family. You can do it right over there at Film Spotting Family. We want to welcome new family plus member Darren in Connecticut. I've been following Darren for a while on letterbox as j Gunn five. The number five all one word. So welcome Darren. Good to see you join the family.
Speaker 2: Been a longtime listener. Familiar name certainly to me. Darren writes, when I saw The Wolf of Wall Street, I needed some help processing it, and boy did you too process it? Is that what we did. I was instantly hooked on how well you both reasoned through your arguments. I ultimately sided with Josh on this one. By the way, Now that was a parenthetical, and sometimes maybe parentheticals should just be left out. I don't know, and I read.
Speaker 1: It one thing we know is Darren did not vote for Wolf of Wall Street in Film spot Madness.
Speaker 2: He didn't favorite review or segment Top five things We've learned podcasting about the movies. That was a milestone celebration some year six p. Ninety four was the episode with our friend Dave Chen. What review we got wrong? It's kind of a cop out, but I'll say that you got both Come On, Come On, especially Twentieth Century Women wrong by failing to give either of them a featured review. Josh, this reminds me that we need to pencil in. We need to add to our list of top five suggestions for the future, top five movies that we didn't give a proper review to because they came out in that bizarre end of year limbo period when we're catching up with everything for awards. Maybe some films are not giving quite as much attention as we should because we're trying to fit in so much, and we take some time off around Thanksgiving and then we have the Top ten show and we just don't have all those normal reviews. What I'm saying, Darren is you're absolutely right. We did not give Come On, Come On or Twentieth Century Women their due, even though I liked both of those films.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I loved come On, come On, and I think Sam is maybe the biggest fan. Do I have this right of twenty second three fair women that I know? So?
Speaker 2: Yeah? His letterbox top four, Josh, this is unassailable. He says they change periodically. Currently it's focusing on four favorites celebrating their twentieth, fortieth, sixtieth, and eightieth anniversaries. Okay, so there's a method to his letterbox Madness, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Paris, Texas. And then as if he is trying to make both of us happy for siding with you on the Wolf of Wall Street, the Umbrellas of Sherboor, and my beloved Double Indemnity.
Speaker 1: Great group, but I love this method. I love giving yourself a way to rotate and not just an excuse to those an excuse. Yeah, let's just call it excuse.
Speaker 2: A favorite movie he revisited recently searching for Bobby Fisher ridiculously underrated. I can name a dozen top five lists this should be featured on. I like searching for Bobby Fisher. But I'm one of those people who I suppose ridiculously underrates it. It's fine, you've never seen it. Okay, a random film or filmmaker that Darren loves smooth Talk. This absolutely would have been the Golden Brick winner of nineteen eighty five. Will smooth Talk take your word for it, because clearly neither of us have seen it, he credits.
Speaker 1: I gotta just because this is in our this is our we're you know, eighties kids. Essentially, I gotta, Oh my gosh, smooth Talk have no recollection of the movie, but I know this VHS cover. It's treat Williams and Laura Dern hot pink eighties fine, right, purple around the edges.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Here here's the plot. A free spirited fifteen year old girl flirts with a dangerous stranger in the northern California suburbs and must prepare herself for the frightening and traumatic consequences. Directed by Joyce Chapra.
Speaker 2: Okay, I definitely saw that box in my local video store many times as well, Josh. I don't think I ever truly considered renting it, though.
Speaker 1: I mean this this. We might have to start a new series for titles like This Time Time Machine Reviews or something like once it just got lost, but we have some vague remembrance of let's finally watch them.
Speaker 2: Well, here's one we both have seen and love, a movie he credits with becoming a cinephile of Spike Lee's Do the Right Thing and his favorite book about movies or movie making. Darren says, before I discovered letterbox lists and film Spotting Madness, Ebert's The Great Movies gave me my cinematic homework. Thank you, Darren for joining the family and for all those years of listening. In addition to keeping us doing what we're doing, your support comes with perks. You get to listen early in ED Free, You get our weekly newsletter. You get exclusive opportunities and access to things like the Film Spotting Family Discord. You also get our monthly bonus shows we have. Now as people are hearing this, Josh dropped into our feed the March edition of Trivia Spotting and coming up in April, our Madness bracket winner will get to decide a topic that we will have to draft with that listener.
Speaker 1: Now, am I throwing a wrinkle into this? I mean, last time we assessed our brackets, I was close to winning the whole damn thing.
Speaker 2: So I win it?
Speaker 1: Then do I just pick the topic?
Speaker 2: I don't think it's gonna be a concer Josh, we'll get to that later. Things have changed, Oh, things have changed a little bit.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Film Spottingfamily dot com is where you can learn more.
Speaker 4: Hey, it's Brooklyn Adams and I'm partnering with Abercommedy to tell you about the newest drop from their Active brand, Your Personal Best YPB luggings are made with buttery soft fabrics that hug you in all the right places and common Abercomy's viral curve love fit designed to eliminate waste gap, paired with sports bras and super soft sweatshirts. It's active word that supports every part of my busy lifestyle and gives me my best but ever heading to the new year feeling your personal best? Shop Active by Abercrombie in the app, online and in stores. You have a.
Speaker 3: Neurological disorder preventing you from remembering exactly what happened in mine?
Speaker 1: Is that right?
Speaker 7: I've been recording these tapes for my daughter that helps keep me from zoning out. This condition of yours will slowly eat away at your cognitive capabilities.
Speaker 2: In addition to catching up with some Gene Hackman blind spots. Josh, you've been busy watching some other new releases of First Gazer. You just heard a little bit of a clip from that trailer. It's currently playing in limited release. It's the directing debut of Ryan J. Sloane, which might make it a good candidate for the Golden Brick Award. Here on film spotting neurological disorder a system for recording memories crime thriller, mister Sloane doesn't seem to be going out of his way to avoid comparisons to Memento, a film I adore, might I adore Gazer.
Speaker 1: I like to think you'll appreciate it. I mean, there's no doubt that it is leaning heavily on Memento. It is the touchstone. I do want to give it a nod and consideration for Golden Brick because even beyond that, it has enough of its own vision. It definitely has enough of its own atmosphere to create something that's you know, it's an unnerving lo fi neo noir that that I did appreciate. The screenplay written by the star Ariela Mestriami, who plays this mother who's basically suffering from this condition, and then yeah, it gets wrapped up in a missing person case, so everything becomes more complicated for her. There nods even you know, brief nods to the Shining, brief nods to the Exorcist, brief nods to Coronaberg's video drome. It kind of goes a lot of places, but I especially appreciated the locations here. This is set in New Jersey, but kind of like the off ramp New Jersey from the Expressway, a lot of warehouses and you know, convenience stores things like that. The sound design is very interesting as it's trying to put us in the headspace of Frankie, this main character. And I also liked the score, which to connect with our top five, the Hackman Top five. It's very heavy on the horns and made me think of a seventies detective movie, something like Night Moves actually, but then what's going on here also projects it into this grungy future. So yeah, I think Gayser is worthy of Golden Brick consideration and if it's playing near you folks should check it out.
Speaker 2: You also saw a film that I have wanted to see since hearing about it when it played the Chicago Film Festival back in October. It's the directing debut of Michael Shannon and stars Judy Greer, Tracy Letts, Alison Pill Alexander Scarsguard. Great cast. It's based on a play by Chicago playwright Brett Neveau, who, like Shannon, is an ensemble member of Chicago's Red Orchid Theater Company. Greer and scars Guard played the parents of a school shooter. Seems like harrowing stuff, Josh. It's new to theaters, but not new, as I said. Played at the Chicago Film Festival last year, premiered at Tribeca back in twenty twenty three. What did you make of it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was lucky because it's playing at the Gene Sisco Film Center and so they had a preview screening. Shannon was there for a Q and A afterwards, and it is herowing, but it's really focused on the experience of these parents, and Greer gives a very commanding performance and quiet way. She's excellent in it. Skysguard has a part that's a little could aved or into caricature. Basically, this dorkey midwesterner, you know, against type very much. So who throws himself into a prayer group at this new church to kind of, you know, just escape all of the awfulness of their situation. But he finds enough notes of conviction to keep them from being a caricature. So I think those two performances are very strong. And then also their son, he does show up at the end of the film, so it's not a spoiler to say that, but it's the first time you see him. He's played by Nation Hendrickson, you know, a new actor who is just incredible in this very long scene. So I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for Nation Hendrickson in future films, but this one, particularly for the performances Eric LaRue, is worth checking out as well.
Speaker 2: Two films, two recommendations. Let's see if we can continue the streak up. Next is Holland, directed by Mimi Cave, who made twenty twenty two's Fresh Nicole Kidman Stars. You know, anytime you read about a character having a seemingly perfect life, you know something is gonna go terribly wrong. She lives in Holland, Michigan. She's a teacher, and she stumbles onto a troubling secret about her husband, who's played by Matthew McFadden. She and coworker Gail Garcia Bernal investigate. You know, I already have a bias against this movie because the other town in the Midwest, I don't know, maybe the only other town in the entire country that is known for its unique dutchness. Josh is in Iowa. Pella, Iowa. Grew up just down the road from Pella. Used to love visiting my favorite spot in the world, Yarsma's Bakery. I don't know if there's a Yarsma's in Holland. Is there a good movie made about Holland?
Speaker 1: I mean, Pela Dowledge to Bulat, that's all. This is rough, unfortunately, And yeah, I know, you know, I've been to Holland countless times and have friends and you know, colleagues there. This doesn't matter at all. Oftentimes I will say accent work doesn't matter. I don't care. But I just have to note because I know I know Dutch Canadians who sort of sound vaguely like the people in this movie. I know a lot of characters in the Coen Brothers Fargo who sound like the people in this movie. I know no one in Alen, Michigan who sounds like this, So that's you know, neither here nor there, but was amusing. Ultimately, the problem is that this is a very lazy blue velvet riff, and it also is nowhere near interesting to your point, near as interesting as other Nicole Kidman interrogations of perfection, and poor Matthew McFadyen, who I love, you know, from Succession and so many other things. He's just he's the latest guy unable to satisfy Nicole Kidney two disastrous results for the characters and for the movie. I would say so, unless you're familiar with Holland and want to watch this as a curiosity, a definite skip.
Speaker 2: Okay. I say this with no offense to Matthew McFadden, but somehow I believe that more than I believed it with Antonio banderis fair enough. Gazer and Eric LaRue are currently out in limited release. Holland is available exclusively on Prime Video. If you agree or disagree with Josh's takes, or maybe if you know people or you grew up yourself around Holland, Michigan and you want to vouch for the ax at work, please you gotta leave us a voicemail, though you got to send us an audio note with that accent. You can do that feedback at film spotting dot Net. Next week on the show, it's your turn to skip town. Josh. You will be in Boulder, Colorado for a return to Ebert interrupt Us and I think to secure housing for Sundance twenty twenty seven. Good luck with that, you joke.
Speaker 1: But yeah, with Sundance moving to Boulder, I may have a few things in the works. Actually, Adam, thanks to thanks to knowing some folks from the last number of years, going to Boulder for Ebert interrupt Us, but it is right around the corner. April seven through ten, we are doing the Wizard of Oz, not only because it's a great movie, but because Cynthia Arrivo is going to give the keynote for the Conference on World Affairs, which is what Ebert interrupt Us is a part of. So would love to see film Spotting listeners there. We're gonna watch Wizard of Oz day one, then spend three days working through it. We're also having a film spotting meet up on Thursday, April ten. They're in Boulder. It's going to be at a new location, Boulder Social and you'll get all the details. You can also RSVP via the link in the show notes. If you are a film Spotting family member, just check that meetups channel in our discord and you'll find details there as well.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to hear all about how it goes. I know that you've been doing some homework for this, reading the book that The Wizard of Oz is based on, which is wonderful.
Speaker 1: I got to say, I don't know why I never read it, especially because I appreciate children's literature a lot, but this has been a delightful read. And yeah, part of the last minute cramming I'm doing for next week.
Speaker 2: Joining me next week filling in for Josh will be the one, the only Michael Phillips. And before I get to our programming, I want to take this opportunity to say thank you to our longtime production assistant Veronica Phillips. You have heard her name at the end of our show for over two years, and it really is one of those time as of flat circle things where with our pas, we typically try to have them on board for a year or so and then we cut them loose and we try to get some new blood in there. And I went back and looked at the calendar. At some point I was like, Veronica has been doing this for two years and she she never raised a fuss, always gave us great ideas for top fives and suggestions when we asked her to start forming lists for us or come up with ideas, and she was responsible for keeping the website updated. And we have finally said, Veronica, you can you can depart. You can go out into the world and do other film related work.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, you know, if it isn't broke, go fix it. Isn't that? Is that what they say? So Veronica just kept doing great work and we were happy to have her, but yeah, probably time to let her pursue other things. But thank you so much, Veronica for everything you did all this time.
Speaker 2: Indeed, thank you, and we want to welcome our new production assistant. Let me see if I can get this right, Sophie kempin Ower Kempinar, Sophie Kempinar, Josh.
Speaker 1: Are you sure it's not pronounced empirepentire? I have heard a lot of to get that one right. I know I've heard a lot.
Speaker 2: Of butcherings over the years, but I think I can say it correctly. Yeah, NEPO baby, Sophie kempenar and she calls herself that so she won't take too much offense. She is now on board as the film spotting pa and Josh it's already paying off. I'm gonna say she's done good work through a couple of weeks, not only with the website. Without her updating the Madness pages, Josh, it would not have been starting. Each round, would have been behind by hours. Let me just say that really.
Speaker 1: Unfair of you to throw her in.
Speaker 2: I know, during the.
Speaker 1: Weeks of Madness.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's what she started. She starts in March when film Spotting Madness is hitting its apex. And when we were on our vacation just a few weeks ago, my wife and I and Sophie, we met her. She's studying abroad. We were sitting at a cafe or something or at dinner and I said, you know, Michael's going to be filling in, and we don't really have a topic for this show. It seems like a good sacred cow option week. I throughout the idea of pride and Prejudice, knowing that she would be fully on board and want us to do that because she loves that film. If it's not in her letterbox top four, it's number five. Okay, that's how much she loves this film. And she gives me grief for the fact that when it was reviewed on Film Spotting back in two thousand and five when it was called Cinecast, Sam adored it and gave it five stars. I gave it a pass at three stars, even though Joe Wright would come along a few years later with Atonement and I would swoon for that film. So I've long felt like I owed Pride and Prejudice five a revisit, and since it is five, it's its twentieth anniversary. So I said, why not, let's do it. Let's talk about Pride and Prejudice. And I said, Sophie, what's a good You've seen this film a million times. What's a good top five for Michael Knight to do with it? And right off the tip of her tongue, she said, rain scenes. And it's kind of a miracle. We've never done rain scenes in the twenty year history of this show. But I don't think we have love it.
Speaker 1: I love specific top five, so that will be a good one. I do hope you have had this conversation with her Adam though that not every Top five can connect to pride and prejudice or before Sunrise right.
Speaker 2: Actually, I'm not sure she's aware of that. Okay, that'll be a tough conversation to have with our new PA. Also next week, finally, I know a few people out there have been waiting for it some ethys talk because I have seen that Baseball movie Michael I know has as well and has recommended it in the Chicago Tribune. And yes, it will be the film Spotting Madness Elite eight. So a lot to get to next week on the Show with Michael Phillips. If you'd like to keep up to date on future show plans, visit Filmspotting dot Net slash episodes.
Speaker 1: Quick note about our sister podcast, The Next Picture Show, looking at Cinema's present via its past. They have a new pairing out Steven Soderberg's Wonderful Black Bag. They're looking at in the context of nineteen thirty four's The Thin Man with William Powell and Myrna Lloyd, and this per perfect timing for me. I think it was just in the last year or so that I watched The Thin Man for the first time and have sense. Watched the second film in that series, of course, absolutely loved it, so I am primed. I'm actually midway through their conversation about the Thin Man. When I saw it roll in, I knew I had to dive in right away, So it didn't come to mind when I was watching Black Bag about that series. But makes a ton of sense to pair these two.
Speaker 2: I'm so disappointed because it does seem like such an inspired pairing that I'd love to listen to. But I still haven't had a chance to see Black Bag.
Speaker 1: Come on, man, you gotta get on it killing me. New episodes of the Next Picture Show drop every Tuesday and you can find them wherever you get your podcasts. This lasting, This is madness. This is absolute madness.
Speaker 6: This is madness, madness, madness.
Speaker 1: But this is absolute madness. I'm massisson.
Speaker 2: Why should you build such a thing?
Speaker 1: Mad news?
Speaker 2: Us spot off and this is film spotting Madness. Our annual bracket style movie elimination tournament. Sixty four movies. Only one survives. This year. We are covering the best films of the twenty first century. So far, we have your Round two results and the Sweet sixteen matchups. A reminder the Sweet sixteen. Polls are open right now. Vote before you forget. Open it on your phone, open it on your computer, however you're listening. Vote at filmspotting dot net slash Madness Round two. Josh meant thirty two films sixteen contests. We will not go through them all, but we did want to highlight a few close ones, a few upsets, maybe a few surprises along the way. Here are the ones that weren't close. I'll read these off to you, Josh, and then you can get into the upsets, the movies that had a pretty wide margin of victory, and the films that hit at least seventy percent or more of the vote total, winning seventy six percent to twenty four percent, it was not tough for mad Max's Fury Road to take down. Christopher Nolan's Oppenheimer Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind also easily defeated Edgar Wright's Shot of the Dead by that margin, seventy four percent to twenty six percent. No Country for Old Men beats Guillermo del Toro's Pans Labyrinth, and there goes your beloved Phantom thread Pta out of the tournament, officially at the hands of Parasite. These three all were seventy one to twenty nine percent victories. There will be Blood the number one overall seed over Denis Villeneuve's Arrival, David Lynch and Mulholland Drive still Alive, beating Celine Siama's Portrait of Lady on Fire. I thought that one might be tough to predict, might be pretty close. I was wrong, like I fear I have been or will be for much of this year's addition to film spotting Madness. And how about this, Christopher Nolan also out of the tournament, Fellowship of the Ring crushed in her stuff.
Speaker 1: Wow? Yeah, really, cow, that's that's a shocker to me. All Right, we have some upsets generally here, Royal Tenenbaums over Lost in Translation, and that's I mean, these were ranked pretty closely right.
Speaker 2: In the sixteen Yeah, and if you had asked, I'll say, of course, it's easy for me to say now. But if you asked myself and Sam, I'm pretty sure we both predicted Royal ten and Bumps to beat Lost in Translation. So we knew this one was close technically an upset, but we had a feeling Wes Anderson might advance.
Speaker 1: And the percentages here sixty four percent for ten and Baums thirty six percent for lost in translation. How about Alfonso Quran's Children of Men versus Nolan's The Dark Knight. Now, these both had decisive first round wins. Children of Men one over Jonathan Glazers under the Skin and Dark Knight beat What We Do in the Shadows. This one was pretty close, fifty two percent to forty eight percent, and it was Children of Men beating The Dark Knight. So, as you said, Adam Nolan's out. He started with four films in this tournament. All four made it to the second round, so he had interstellar Memento Oppenheimer, The Dark Knight, and now all four are out.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, and it was close. Children of Men's in nineteen seed Dark Knight was the fourteenth seed. So again technically an upset, but not a shock that Children of Men won, as you noted, very close. But here we are. There's been some discussions amongst the selection committee about whether or not we did Christopher Nolan wrong. It's hard to say we did when he had four films in the tournament. But here we are after the second round, Josh, and none of these films are alive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean if he had four shots at it, right, think that's pretty pretty generous.
Speaker 2: Speaking of close victories, here Inglorious Bastards and Spirited Away that was only fifty six percent to forty four percent. But Miyazaki the twelve seed does defeat Quentin Tarantino and his twenty first seeded film. Oh, this one hurts, and it hurt to vote in Before Sunset, Richard Linklater's Before Sunset versus The Grand Budapest Hotel. Link Later was the eighteen seed. Wes Anderson's film was the fifteenth seed, and looking at this vote total, Josh over the course of the past week, Sunset it was very tight, but Sunset was in the lead, and at the end Wes Anderson took it fifty three to forty seven percent.
Speaker 1: That's a close one.
Speaker 2: Wes Anderson is one of two directors with two films in the Sweet sixteen. There's no Christopher Nolan, but there are two Anderson's, and there are two David Fincher's Zodiac and The Social Network. And here it is Moonlight versus Ex Makina. Two directing breakthroughs. Barry Jenkins Best Picture winner, Alex Garland's directing debut Our Cinderella, or now we call it Cindereva, because she's got the Glass Slipper and she's advancing. And if we know anything about Ava, we know that she will do anything to win. She's going to survive.
Speaker 1: And it she took out Moonlight.
Speaker 2: She took Light out Moonlight Josh by something like twenty eight votes. It was that close.
Speaker 1: She's scarier than I even thought.
Speaker 2: But she's terrifying and she advances that film from Alex Garland moves on. It is truly our Cinderella, the forty first seed moving on into the Sweet sixteen.
Speaker 5: So wow.
Speaker 2: We always look back at this point, the selection committee, myself Sam, we wonder what we might have done differently, how we're doing so far. Of course, the seeding can influence results, because the higher the seed, thequote unquote easier it should be for them to advance. But you also wonder if how things proceed validates your predictions, validates how you thought it would play out. And if you look at the Sweet sixteen, it is comprised of fourteen films that were among the Top sixteen, and the top thirteen seeds all advanced to the Sweet sixteen. So I think fourteen and fifteen are out and eighteen and nineteen are in. So good on the selection committee, or did we I suppose rig it in favor of those films, depends on your perspective. We are at the Sweet sixteen though. That means there's only eight matchups, Josh, and that means we can take them one by one. So let's do our usual routine. Give me, as I give you the title, tell me is it an easy one for you? Is it a tough one for you? Or is it a tough one to predict? Okay, first up, there will be blood. I think I said Paul Thomas A. Anderson was out. Paul Thomas Anderson is not out. Phantom Thread is out, the Master is out. There will be blood very much alive. Is the number one seed PT Anderson versus Wes Anderson the Royal Tenant bombs.
Speaker 1: Not easy, But I'm also not going to lose a ton of sleep over it, and I'm going ten and bombs personally me. I, you know, I like Phantom Thread is the one I was, my heart was attached to, and now that that's been ripped out, I'm gonna go with my west heart and follow him, so it's fun.
Speaker 2: This one is definitely tough. If you asked me to rank these two filmmakers, I think I would tend to say I'm more of a Paul Thomas Anderson fan than I am a Wes Anderson fan. And yet, maybe because of the preparation for this show and rewatching some scenes with Gene Hackman, The Royal Tenibombs is just a movie that means.
Speaker 1: More to me, just definitely recent and see bias coming into play.
Speaker 2: I love the Royal, I love there will be blood, but I really love The Royal ten and Bombs. It's my number one Anderson and for that reason, Wes Anderson I should specify. Of course, that's why I have it advancing. But it was really, really, really hard.
Speaker 1: I'll Master, You're number one pta the Master.
Speaker 2: It might actually be there will be blood. If I am being honest, I might have that lot. It's between the Master and there will be blood. That top spot so very difficult. Don't feel good about it, but I'm going with ten and Bombs as well. I think this one is incredibly hard. Two films about the dangers of technology Josh in The Sweet Sixteen, The Social Network versus our Cinderella two Robots Zuckerberg Zuckerberg versus Ava. How are you feeling about this one?
Speaker 1: Well, now that I'm doubly terrified of Ava, I will never vote against her again, right, But I also will vote for Xmokana because solely because I need I owe Social network a revisit. I don't think i've seen it since it came out, and my reservation at the time, though I was positive on it very much so for many reasons, but I remember being disappointed because, you know, I felt like it didn't have that much to say about social networking, and I wonder if I just missed what it had to say about it, and if a revisit might make me reconsider, But especially when it's paired up against something as prescient and you know, on topic in a way that I was hoping for, and that it pulled it through. On that end, I think I will still go with Xmokana.
Speaker 2: I know that you like to decide these matchups sometimes based on were they head to head previously or did you have to consider them for other lists, and which one did you rank higher. And it turns out that back in twenty twenty, when we did our top five, or maybe it was actually our top twenty films of the past decade. So from twenty ten to twenty nineteen, I did not put X Machina in my top twenty, even though I could see it fitting there. I could definitely see it fitting there. I did have the Social Network on that top twenty, and that was based on my rewatch of that film, Like you really liked it the first time, gave it a very positive review on the show. The second time, I felt even more. Why it's a movie, people kind of go crazy for that. It's a film people revere and I love Fincher as well, So even though it's really tough in recency bias here would put X Machina as the more likely candidate for me, I am going to default to what I ranked back in twenty twenty and give it to the Social.
Speaker 1: Network, all right, look out for EVA.
Speaker 2: I know, I'm scared mad Max Fury Road versus here's Fincher again, Zodiac.
Speaker 1: Yeah, another Fincher. I need to revisit, even though I like this even more than Social Network at the time, but come on, it's mad Max furyre Out.
Speaker 2: I know, and as much as I love Fincher and Zodiac, which I think I have is my number three Fincher and I do love Fincher, so three is very very high. I think I'm going mad Max. No Country for Old Men versus Spirited Away. This one for me is easy. As much as I appreciate Miyazaki and that film, I'm not going against another serial killer, not the Zodiac killer, but the killer played by Anton Shagor in that great film.
Speaker 1: So this was my hardest when I looked at what the pairings were, what the matchups were, and I have you know, if you look at your filmmaker rankings, it is my number five Miyazaki versus my number two Cohens. But this did make me ask think of something I want to ask you, And maybe I've asked this in previous Madness tournaments. But films that are not in the tournament okay, didn't make selection, committee didn't include them, but they're eligible, could have been in. Have they all been sent to the incinerator?
Speaker 2: Because let's not think about it.
Speaker 1: If not, I'm going to vote No Country and then console myself by watching twenty twenty three's The Boy and the Heron, which I actually like better. So just tell me, I can do that. You can do that, okay, can I'm voting No Country.
Speaker 2: Mulholland Drive, David Lynch's two thousand and one film versus the other Wes Anderson movie, the Grand Budapest Hotel. Is this an obvious one you're going with Wes Anderson.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is, say the caveat in you know, just rewatching Twin Peaks for the first time, the first run of the series, and you know, reading more about Lynch and thinking more about Lynch, I am positive, again similar to Zodiac, similar to Social Network. I appreciated Mohan Drive when it came out. I am positive I would get so much more out of it if I watch it now. So the essential question is would I get enough out of it to vote against the Grand Budapest Hotel. And I don't just think, yeah it is, But I also think, as much as my appreciation for Lynch has grown, it's sort of more the It's more an appreciation for others, deep emotional attachment and appreciation. It's like I get it, and I get what they're getting, whereas Grand Budapest Wes Anderson, I just get it. And so you know, it would be a bad faith vote to jump for Mulholland on my part at this point over Grand Budapest Hotel.
Speaker 2: So it took me a little while to fully get the Grand Budapest Hotel. But now that I do, I love it and it doesn't make me feel good at all to say I still love Mulholland Drive so much that it wasn't an incredibly tough choice for me. But I'm disappointed. I've disappointed that I had to vote against a film that I truly have come to really love now in that Wes Anderson movie. So I'm still going mull Holland Drive, and that might also be wishful thinking on my part because my bracket challenge depends wholly on mulhalland Drive still advancing. I think this is the only one for me that is truly hard to predict. As well, Josh, I think the Grand Budapest really has a shot. I think it could beat mulhalland Drive despite mulhalland Drive being the number three overall seed. I think in the tournament.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it seems like it's it's gathering steam. It's doing well.
Speaker 2: So get Out is up against the higher seeded in the mood for Love, And you've used the logic so far throughout this tournament that in the Mood for Love is gonna get your vote until it's up against another movie that you put in your top ten of all time back in twenty twenty two. Get Out, I don't think is on the so I'm assuming you're voting for wankar Wi.
Speaker 1: It is, But let me make a case for get Out for those people who are, you know, torn here in a way, get Out is the right title for this particular tournament. So again, this was where we talk about are we looking for movies that represent an era? You reference that list we did in twenty twenty about, you know, the best films of the last ten years or whatever it was. I know I weighed mine more towards titles that represented what happened in those ten years, because we live those ten years, and this is somewhat similar. So you could make an argument for get Out being a movie that better represents this century so far. But you know what, for me, in the Mood for Love represents all the centuries we've ever had. So that's my vote.
Speaker 2: I think that's well said. I did just glance at the voting as we're recording this. We're only a couple hours into voting, so maybe one hundred or so votes in so far, and the one I thought would be the toughest to predict, the Grand Budafest Hotel versus Ball Hall and Drive, that's separated by two votes. Josh, and the others are within ten. So again very early. But some of these, like in the Mood for Love and Get Out, are close right now. Two more to share with you, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind versus Children of Men. I love children men, but a relatively easy pick for me to go. Eternal Sunshine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's where my heart wants to go. But here I'm going to air on the side of timeliness. As we've talked about, like this is such a relevant movie right now.
Speaker 2: Just isn't timeless? Love and heartbreak aren't timeless, Josh. That's what in the Mood for Love was for. So I'm taking care of that need now. I'm going with Children of Men. Speaking of timeliness, parasite, oh gosh, and the enduring saga that is lived throughout decades and will surely go on for centuries. Josh and the Lord of the Rings, the Fellowship of the Ring easy choice for me, and I do really like the Fellowship of the Ring, but I like Parasite better.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is can we start calling these the nonsense matchup? I'm still trying to think of a term where it's such different movies you can't conceive of why they're paired against each other. This is our nonsense matchup, and I get the other according to your logic, I get the other Lord of the Rings films the other two. So because I don't think they made the tournament, right, they haven't been knocked out. You guys went with Fellowship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they weren't voted out. We just chose to because we knew, based on previous Madness voting that that would be the winner between three.
Speaker 1: Well, then I'm going Parasite because I'll just watch two Towers in return.
Speaker 2: Again, all of your arbitrary reasoning. I love it. You can vote in those Madness sweet sixteen poles now Folls closed Tuesday April eighth. Tuesday April eighth at five pm Central time. All you need to know is that you should visit filmspotting dot net slash madness And for those of you who submitted brackets in our prediction challenge. You can go there to view the bracket and see how you're doing. Over eight hundred and twenty brackets, the most we've ever received as part of a film spotting Madness Prediction Challenge and at the top of the leader board. Josh, I'm just going to say this. If Ricky Kendall in the UK wins for the second year in a row, the selection committee will be conducting a proper investigation. So we will be heading across the pond and we will be looking into whatever is going on here. Because Ricky, he has this bracket name Uneasy Lies the head that wears the crown. He was the winner of last year's Madness Best of the nineteen fifties. He told us on the show he drafted with us that he had no strategy, he was kind of just winging it, and yet here he is in first place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think this is top priority forget top five ideas forget updating the website. You send Pa Sophie, who's over there.
Speaker 2: She's actually in the UK.
Speaker 1: She is boots on the ground and she needs to get to the bottom of this.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, So Ricky right now is in first place with a score of sixty two and points go up each round, so that score will get bigger as we get deeper into the tournament picks potential. The reason why Ricky's in first place is he has the potential in terms of the films that are still alive to get sixty two of the choices correct. That's why he's in first place, just ahead of how about this film spotting family member Ross Bratton, Oh, come country for old Ross is the bracket sixty two is the score for Ross picks potential, though slightly behind at sixty one, but can absolutely want this thing. And then another familiar name mentioned him last week, still in that top three, Oscary Vaneo in Finland. My predictions are going to make me almost famous. They might, They might. Oscary undred and eighty eight points and a sixty one picks potential number, so twenty eight points. That means fourteen of sixteen correct for Oscary in round two after getting all of the picks correct in round one. Speaking of all the picks correct, Ross was the only one of those three, Josh, and maybe the only one out of the entire tournament. I didn't thoroughly look who got all sixteen Round two matchups right, Wow, called them all. Yeah, Ricky got fifteen.
Speaker 1: I fully endorse out of the top three that two of them are non Americans. I think we're doing something yes here with film Spotty Madness.
Speaker 2: And that's if we're trying to do something for international relations here representing the United States. Congrats to all of our top finishers so far. We will see how it plays out. We'll see who gets that limited edition Film spotting Fest poster signed by Coganata and Ryan Johnson, and who gets to draft with us, the topic being the film related subject of their choice. Okay, do we have to talk about the internal bracket?
Speaker 1: Well, I didn't hear my name, so I'm a little confused here among the top three.
Speaker 2: Well, let's see how it comes out. Josh I remain in last place. I thought I was doing so well. I'm up from one hundred and forty fifth to being tied for ninety seventh. I got thirteen of sixteen right. In round two, I incorrectly picked The Dark Knight over Children of Men. I incorrectly picked tarantinover Miyazaki, and I incorrectly picked Moonlight over her not X Makta. I thought X Makota would already be out by now, so I'm up to ninety seventh, but I'm still decidedly in last place. Josh, you took a little bit of a tumble again eight hundred and twenty five brackets, so we should probably feel pretty good. But you are now tied for fifty fifth.
Speaker 1: Oh, after being what second? I was second? Right?
Speaker 2: Maybe because the second or fourth overall you were doing very well, but you are now tied for fifty fifth. You only got twelve of the sixteen, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as you were reading those results, I was well, I expressed my surprise at a handful of them, which spoke to my prediction bracket, I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you also incorrectly picked the Dark Knight over Children of Men. You also thought Moonlight would beat ex Machina. The Tree of Life did not defeat Zodiac, nor did inside Lewin Davis take down in the mood for love that one could hurt you.
Speaker 1: Josh. Yeah, see, and that's was the Adam pick. I kind of learned my I kind of learned my lesson the Tree and the Tree of Door. Me, why did I pick the Tree of Life? That was a heart pick? That? Wow? Yeah? Well yeah, picking up strategy each year. One of these years, I'll learn by one.
Speaker 2: Of these years. Okay, Mike Marrigan, he's in second place the film Spotting Madness Godfather thirteen of sixteen, right, he's in six teenth place. Not bad, did incorrectly pick Inglorious Bastards over Spirited Away before Sunset over Grand Budapest and The Dark Knight over Children of Men. But Josh supplanting you, and he was already high on the list to begin with, maybe even tied with you. I can't remember where we stood last week, but Sam was doing very well, and Sam continues to do very well fifteen of sixteen.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: In round two, Sam is tied for fourth.
Speaker 1: Holy wow. Forth overall, that's the best showing among the three of us this far into the tournament.
Speaker 2: Ever, Yeah, his only misstep in round two was picking her not ex Makna, but her over Moonlight. So Sam also has a chance to contend. And we encourage you one more time to go look at the round two full results and devote in the Sweet sixteen polls over at filmspotting dot net slash Madness.
Speaker 8: I'll tell you one thing, though, you got more grit, fire and guts than any woman I've ever met.
Speaker 1: What? What are you smiling about? Nothing? What's the funny? Nothing? These little expressions of yours.
Speaker 8: I don't know what you're talking about, but I'll take it as a compliment.
Speaker 1: You're true blue, Ethyl, you really are.
Speaker 2: We get back into our top five Gene Hackman scenes with that clip from The Royal Tenebaum's Hackman's Royal with Angelica Houston's ethel. We have made six picks so far, three each, Josh, we have two more left. The Royal Tenebombs has not come up until now. Surely we didn't overlook this film in this performance when considering our top five Gene Hackman scenes.
Speaker 1: Right, of course not. It's at number two, actually not number one. And okay, this was a journey for me, so bear with me. Bear with me, Adam, even though it's in the number two slot, and this is the pick I agonized over the most. It's the one I saved for last when putting my notes together, and I almost went with over when I logged Royal Tenenbaums on LETTERBROCKX my recent rewatch for this list. Eddie Allen chimed in with a comment and basically said, time for a cheat it's every time Hackman is on screen. Yeah right, It's so true. Every line reading he gets in this movie is a gem. And trying to whittle my options down, the only thing I could do was again this was later in all my homework, all my watching, all I could do was watch Royal Tenenbaums again through this Hackman Rooster lens and think about what scenes captured this quality. And it really struck me that ten in Boums written by Wes Anderson and Owen Wilson. From that title all the way down, you could see this movie as a tribute to Hackman's career of cocksure, self deluded, self inflated characters. I mean, Royal tenenbaum Is. He's a gentler little Bill In some ways, he's a more refined Harry Moseby. He's very much a variation on my number one pick, which I'm not gonna spoil here. So watching ten and Bounds through this lens, I narrowed it down to three three saints, And I'm just gonna give you a line for my two runners up so we can move along here. Call me Pappy. I know I'm gonna be the bad guy on this one. Those were my runners up could have easily gone with either one, but instead I went with another scene with Angelica Houston's Ethelene and it's Royals cancer confession. Yeah, in a ploy to move back into their home?
Speaker 2: Where is the doctor?
Speaker 8: Just wait a second now, Okay, listen, I'm not dying, but I need some time a month or so. Okay, I want to I want us to.
Speaker 1: Damn ethol, are you crazy? Maybe I am dying. So we've mentioned a couple of times doing this. List Adam about you know. The audio is good, the line delivery is good, but the physicality the gestures are equally important. So track down the scene and watch it beyond listening to it, because there are two bits of physical performance here. One is when Ethlene turns around after he says he's dying and approaches him to demand what are you talking about? He flinches, he like, he steps back, like she's gonna throw a punch at him. And the genius of it is not that she's being aggressive. It speaks more to her to his guilt than her aggression. Right, he already knows he's he's deserving of whatever is coming. Right then, after she breaks down in tears about it, I love how Royal looks around to see if anyone is watching why, because he's committing a crime. He's guilty, and he's got like, who's are there? Cops? Are the emotional cops around? Are the psychological cops seeing this? At the same time, there is so much tenderness to that little moment there on Royal's part. He's genuinely taken aback by her reaction, by the love that she's still expressing for him. He's sorry for her. And yet again, I mean, Hackman is just you know, doing so many backflips in these scenes. Yet again, this is where he could have committed to the lie, but he retracts it right and he decides, Okay, I'm going to drop this, and then another backflip lunging back in because what he still hasn't gotten what he wanted, so he's going to have to play that card again. So Royal Ton of Baums, you know, going back to Anderson and Wilson thinking about this in terms of Hackman's career, it is one of Wes Anderson's restoration comedies, so it's going to be different than his Hackman's Disillusion seventies work where these roosters almost always pay a price. Royal manages, despite himself, despite his self delusion, to find his way back into his family's life by the movie's end, and so I love this film. I'm almost talking to myself into moving it back up into the number one because it's the redemption of the Gene Hackman rooster. That is what Royal Tenant of Bombs is. Probably should be my number one, But I've got to hear at number two.
Speaker 2: Rewatching that scene today, I'm willing to maybe give you, Josh that that's the best Gene Hackman scene in the film, that's the best performance scene in the film. But I did go in a different direction and I saved it for number one. I had to put it at number one. So we'll see you're stand how we do here with these final two choices. I think we're going to overlap in terms of film titles, just in a different order. And I'm going to go back to a vulnerable Gene Hackman. I'm going to go to a scene where he is fighting, as he often is, fighting against that vulnerability and where some real, real emotion ultimately does come through. It is from the pen ultimate scene in the movie that was homework for both of us to prepare for this list. It was the biggest blind spot for me on the list. A movie I've always wanted to see, Jerry Schatzburg's nineteen seventy three film Scarecrow, starring Hackman and al Pacino. The penultimate scene. We are going to spoil this movie if you haven't seen it and you really want to see it, especially after you are going to hear both of us praise it, or maybe you won't because you're going to fast forward. That's fine, We are okay with that, but we cannot avoid talking about the ending of this film. And to go back to Tenenbaumbs for a second, I didn't put I know you have Chassy on my list. It's an honorable mention. I've got another Tenenbom's choice at number one, as I alluded to. But the only Hackman scene that really does break my heart more than that one is this scene. This movie is about this unlikely friendship that develops between Hackman's Max and Pacino's Lion. Lion is. He's goofy, he's naive, he's sentimental, all things that Max isn't. Max is a hardnecks con he's quick tempered. He is someone who never backs down from anyone and never really seems For most of this film's running time, Josh never seems afraid of anything. But late in the film, there's a beating that occurs. Lion is hurt really badly and it traumatizes him, and that's followed by a conversation with the mother of the child that he's never met that compounds that trauma and Lion ends up hospitalized and catatonic on a gurney in a hallway. And this is where we see Max really crack. He cannot process that Lion won't be going with him to Pittsburgh, following through on all the plans that they have made on their journeys together. He can't process that Lion likely will never be the same again, that they may never actually interact with each other or engage with each other at all like they previously did. And he is fully initially in this denial stage, you hear him say to no one really at this point, he's talking to himself, he's talking to the room, he's talking to the cosmos. He says, he's just fooling around. He's just fooling around, as if Lyon is playing another gag. It's a joke, and he's trying to convince himself that it's true that he's going to snap out of this somehow, or he is play acting. But then you see it. You see it in Hackman's face as the camera tracks with him from talking to the doctor over to the bed. You see the recognition. And Josh, it's so funny. You mentioned in that tenembomb scene, how when there is that burst of emotion from Angelica Houston, how he looks around a little bit like like is anyone noticing this? And it's almost like, I wonder if it's a psychological gesture on the part of Hackman, because he does something similar in this scene, where as it's dawning on him what the reality is and what it's going to be moving forward, the closer he gets to Lion on that journey, he stops. He takes a moment, and he stops, and he looks back at the nurses station, and no one's paying attention to him, but he stops and looks at the nurses station almost like he's he's laying having to fully face the truth, or someone's gonna stop him, or something will happen, and he is this big presence. A lot is made of Hackman in his size as Max throughout the entire film, and of course his stature is so much greater than lions than Pacino's, but that just amplifies why it's then so crushing when Max finally does break down.
Speaker 1: Him.
Speaker 7: We would think a lot the way would think a lot.
Speaker 8: Right, we can make it work. An we.
Speaker 7: Can, we make it work. I just can't make it a little anymore.
Speaker 1: Come on, thank God.
Speaker 2: The way he shakes him, the way he tries to rouse him, just refusing to accept again that denial, refusing to accept that his friend is now like this and probably is going to stay this way. How he admonishes the skinny little bastard as he calls him to wake up. That denial then moves into anger, and then he goes through all the stages, then moves into depression. And then we have Hackman just intermingling all of those emotions. And here's the line, because again we've had so many great examples throughout this list of lines, I just can't make it alone anymore. When he admits to himself in the world, this character who has always been on his own now can't make it without Lyon and Shatsburgh even stretches out the journey down the hallway. He makes it seem like it takes him forever to get down the hallway. It's like the long emotional journey that Max's is going through, and we see the full range of hackman emotion, but we still see that restraint. I just think Hackman might be Josh and this scene really cements it for me. He might be the consummate film actor. He knows exactly how to pitch a performance for the camera. He is never too big, he is never too small. He's never anything but completely honest. And that scene just devastated me watching Scarecrow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's incredible. It's the it's the cracking open of Max, which you know is something he's resisted the entire film long. There's also a little line in there where he references, I'm going to go back to that payphone and find out what find out what she said? What I love about that? And maybe Hackman just brought that in on his own. Maybe it's it was part of the script by Gary Michael White, but it reveals, you know, we're getting into the details here, which might be difficult for people who haven't seen this, but that scene is played at the payphone where Pacino's character denies the reality of what he heard and lies to Max and tries to paint a rosy picture, and in the moment Max pretty much buys it right so he can get along with what he wants. But calling it back in the scene you've picked shows that Max knew what was happening then, and he's blaming himself for not confronting it then because it might have in some way prevented where they're at now. It's just all of these layers again going on that he's able to play in a single scene. So yeah, great pick Scarecrow. I mean, man, this was the discovery, right this is doing this list was worth it for Scarecrow because yeah, I knew about it as well and had hoped at some point to get to it. But it's not really discussed among the masterpieces of the nineteen seventies, right, but it is. It's hard now that I've seen it to imagine that decade without a movie like Scarecrow. It's just a time when there was studio in security and there was you know, openness to idiosyncratic storytelling, unconventional leading men. We're getting here. It's such a seventies movie in that way. And at the same time, watching Max struck me as the ultimate embody of this quintessential Hackman character. He's a cajoler, he's a storyteller, big talker with big plans here, you know, to open that car wash in Pittsburgh. But you know it's all upfront, we know it in the audience. Think about the way he ostentatiously chomps on I don't know if it's a full cigar or it's something like that all the time. Also, notice how often he has trouble lighting it. He can hardly ever get the thing. Let how about his ratty notebook that contains his business plans. These are all expressions of self delusion, right, He's another self deluded cock of the walk here. And I'm gonna spoil even more. I'm gonna go all the way to the end for my pick, Adam. And I think this scene captures from what I saw previously and doing this homework, this capture is better than anything else the quintessential Hackman. To your point, if you haven't seen Scarcrow, you don't want the union spoiled skip ahead. It's not really a plot spoiler, but really you should get to experience and this within the flow of the film for the first time. But basically, at this point, because of the scene we just discussed, Pacino's character Lion has been tragically left behind. Max is still trying to get to Pittsburgh right pursue this dream. So Max is at the ticket counter at this train station and he's counting out the twenty seven dollars and ninety five cents he needs for the fair one bill at a time, basically, and of course he falls short. And what does he do. He just starts counting again, because you know, he's Max. He can will those extra bills into existence, and it's not working. So the teller asks him to step aside for the next customer, and we see him in the side of the frame while this woman's buying her ticket. He pulls off his boot, kind of cuts open the heel, pulls out this ten dollars bill and what does he do hands it to the woman at the counter with that shit eating grin. He has hit rock bottom. He's literally down to his last time. But you know what, Max thinks He's won that moment he thinks he's won, and it's this tragic ending because of that, and I think, you know, we get a sense of it because after she gives him the ticket, or he's waiting for it to process, he starts smacking his boot on the counter kind of to get my senses to get the heel back in place. Maybe I'm not entirely sure.
Speaker 2: No, that's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it's like it's just emphasizing his desperation, and yet Hackman brilliantly plays this as a triumphant moment for Max. So when I think when I think of Gene Hackman from now on, this scene might be the one that comes to mind first. So that's why I had to put it at number one.
Speaker 2: It's that desperation. It also just so matches that character that even in that moment, this moment ultimately of tragedy and of some sadness, he he's still going to be himself. He cannot be anything but who he is, and his nature is going to come through, and he does not care how uncouth that may appear, how distracting that might be to the tell, how much it might bother anybody else nearby. He's got to get that heel back on. He's going to do whatever he needs to do. That's who Max is. And that's such a great articulation of that seed and that grin in particular, seeing that that grin from Hackman there, from that character Max in that moment after the scene I just described at least sends you out, I suppose, on the only ray of hope that you can possibly have.
Speaker 1: Maybe, I mean yeah, I mean he's got to keep moving forward.
Speaker 2: I guess right, right, Okay, so Royal Tenant Bombs is at number one for me. The question is what scene is it going to be? And Sam should just go ahead and start queuing up me and Julio. I'm not talking about dance lessons.
Speaker 7: I'm talking about putting a brick through the other guy's windshield.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about taking it out and chopping it up.
Speaker 5: What do you mean?
Speaker 2: A mostly physical scene from Hackman right, little to no dialogue throughout this entire sequence, and it's just one of my favorite movie montages ever where you realize that as much of a scoundrel as Royal is, unlike his children and his grandchildren, he knows how to have a good time and he genuinely wants to give his grandsons a day where they can forget about the rough year that they have had.
Speaker 1: It.
Speaker 2: Maybe, no, it is inappropriate. The activities they engage in are inappropriate on so many levels. But it's the only way talk about being true to your nature. It is the only way Royal knows how to express his love. And that's what he does with them. That's what he does. And it's not an explosion of anger or violence, but an explosion of joy that yell as they run toward the swimming pool together and jump in the exuberance of that the pure child behavior. It's impossible for me anyway to watch that sequence and not have the same huge smile on my face the entire time that Hackman wears throughout the scene. And I'll extend it beyond me and Julio to when the music stops and Stiller's Chaz takes him into the closet, the gaming closet, to reprimand him for the inappropriateness of the day. You stay away from my children, Do you understand?
Speaker 1: My god it i haven't been in here for years.
Speaker 2: Hey are you listening to me?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 6: I am.
Speaker 2: I think you're having a nervous breakdown.
Speaker 1: I don't think you recovered from Rachel's death.
Speaker 2: This is a different kind of shouting from Hackman, one that isn't about putting Chaz in his place. He actually finally plays a bit of the parent. He is trying to get through to his son. Despite his selfishness that you can't deny, despite his lack of responsibility and his lack of accountability, he does see something true in his son. He is correct to note that Chaz will not face the fact that he hasn't fully processed his wife's death, and he calls him out on it in that moment. And just to have that be the closing of that scene, Josh, this scene that is that childlike joy that has you smiling, and then have such an honest emotional moment between those two characters. That's that's part of the wonder of the film. The Royal Tenet moms.
Speaker 1: For me, well you get you get one of the great Hackman chuckles at the end of the closets too. But yeah, it makes you wonder. You know, neither of us are at that point yet with grandchildren. But is that when you like actually start to be a good parent, Maybe when you see what your kids are doing wrong with their kids. That's right, Like, oh, oh, this is what I should have done it. I'm gonna tell you. Yeah, it's you know, what you're describing is how pleasurable it is to watch Gene Hackman on screen. And I don't know how many of our picks have delved necessarily into that, but I'm glad we've ended up here because whether he was being scary or insecure, there was still a certain pleasure in watching him. It's a great point, and maybe never more so than Here's. This is just where the pleasure comes out front and foremost.
Speaker 2: Those are our top five Gene Heckman scenes. We've already said how hard this was to whittle it down. You've referenced a few honorable mentions. I'm pretty sure I have at least five. I want to highlight here, Josh, which picks do you want to maybe highlight again? Which ones haven't come up yet?
Speaker 1: Yeah, let me go back to the conversation, because I don't want to give that film, that great Copla masterpiece, a short shrift, but it is for me, the honorable mention pick would be the finale tearing up the apartment. Then sitting in the mess. And you know, there's some very good conversation about this in the discord for film spotting family members when people were talking about some good conversation about exactly what you were talking about, Adam, like, is this what makes this a good Hackman?
Speaker 2: Why is it still a good hacking?
Speaker 1: And you know, for those who listened to a couple of shows Ago and Roxanna Hadadi guest hosted alongside me, she had a great story about watching the conversation with her dad and how that ending didn't immediately work for him, but then he found his way to it through Hackman's performance. So go back and listen to that if you haven't heard that yet. And also one more note here on this scene from the conversation comes from the friend of the show, fellow critic Aaron Newarth on My Larson on Film facebook page. He wrote this about it. Outmatched, outwitted, frustrated, alone, defeated with only one last resort, Jazz going from the paranoia fuel destruction of his home to sitting in his mess as he plays his sex. Harry coll knows that despite his efforts, he's failed again. The final scene is tremendous Ackman's best performance the conversation so strong case there from Aaron A couple more real quick here mentioned the French connection. My pick would have been the one you went with Adam in the climactic action sequence. I did watch as part of homework just because I've always wanted to see it. Sam Raimi's The Quick and the Dead. He's doing more of a stock villain here, kind of a riff on the richer role he had in Unforgiven, But you know what, he gets a great chuckle off with Keith David that is worth watching The Quick and the Dead alone. And then so many people mentioned young Frankenstein. I think that and his lex Luthor in the Superman films just showed it was a great reminder of his ability to do straight comedy, so I wanted to give a nod to those performances as well well.
Speaker 2: Speaking of comedy, here's three movies, three scenes that haven't come up yet, Josh. That really pained me to leave out. Another bit of homework for me was finally catching up with Mike Nichols the bird Cage and Nice. The scene that I love the most with Hackman is the one that allows me to live in this fantasy world, Josh, where ultra conservative, nightmare Republican senators can also reveal empathy and show that they actually have a human side to them. It's when they're sitting before dinner, I think, having some champagne, sitting across from each other, getting to know each other, and someone asks how was the trip, because they drove down from Ohio I believe, down to South Florida, to South Beach so they could meet the family of the man that their daughter is going to marry. And someone says, how's the trip, and he says, nice trip, very nice, And then Hackman delivers this beautiful monologue that highlights all of the differences between the states and the multitude of colors that he experienced. And the irony should not be lost on any viewer that this man who seems so rigid in his thinking and seems so oblivious or willfully oblivious to the differences that actually make America so great, is articulating it there as if it is something that he feels so deep in his heart. And Hackman here again, he just does it at the right pitch, Josh, where there's no music swelling underneath. He doesn't play it like there's music swelling underneath. He's not delivering some sermon. He's not winking at us and saying, oh, look, he's not such a bad guy after all. He just is evoking this memory of the trip and what struck him as he drove, and it's surprising to us. And I think it's a beautiful moment in the bird cage that Hackman makes special.
Speaker 8: We decided to drive down to see the seasons change. But it's just so magical to me to come from the north where it's cold.
Speaker 2: To the south where it's warm.
Speaker 8: See the tremendous differences from region to region in this incredible country of ours, the.
Speaker 6: Hills, the mountains, talk about your purple mountains, majesty, just fantastic.
Speaker 1: He's a great storyteller when movies give him the chance to just kind of spin a yarn or an experience like that.
Speaker 2: Right, how about his lex Luthor? So many options from Superman and Superman two. I'm gonna go with Superman two. In the White House, when he plops his feet up on the desk with the cigar, claims to want Australia. He starts out the scene being subservient and obsequious, towards General Zod and by the end it's as if Lex has been in charge the entire time. Pure Hackman charm, actually a devious charm. In that moment, I wish we had lessure for president. I know, hoosiers hoosiers, I play coach stays. I love that line. It's one of the more iconic scenes. Yeah, I'm not going with the pregame speech. This is the rewatch in the moment, Josh, where I was really cued into how many great scenes Hackman has, as we noted, where he doesn't say a word. Watch the journey Norman Dale goes on. Over the course of that entire sequence where the town is trying to vote him out, he has a really hard time expressing himself. He doesn't make a very eloquent speech. He certainly doesn't ask for forgiveness, and in fact he does the opposite. He says, I apologize for nothing, and he sits down and he knows what his fate is going to be. And the rest of that scene, for the next three four five minutes, Jimmy Chitwood shows up, different people go up and speak. It all plays out just in reaction shots on Hackman's face and you can see the entire arc of a character in that scene just by watching his facial reactions. Love it so.
Speaker 1: Glad you called out Hoosier's I've not seen it since it came out, which would have been I realized just doing research and looking at dates and stuff. Hoosiers came out I think the same year I played on my first official school basketball team. Really, so it would have like set my expectations for what this experience.
Speaker 2: Would be like. Of course I did invoke it earlier. I've had a rough year. Dad. I know you have Chassy from the Royal Tenebombs Mississippi Burning talk about scenes that are dark, where there's that little bit of sadistic thrust to them, but you noted this where you also liked that the character you're having fun with the characters righteousness and vindictiveness because he's taking it out on Ku Klux Klan members. The razor interrogation scene with Brad Dorf's character is a fun, a fung gene Hackman scene, despite how violent and intimidating it is. And I know there are so many more we could mention, but maybe as a nod to producer Sam who loves get Shorty as much as any person on the planet. Now, I don't know he didn't lobby for any scenes, and I don't know if any of Hackman's scenes as Harry's in are among Sam's favorite in the movie. But I rewatched a few today and the phone call scene with Dennis Farina's Ray Bones where he tells him to use his ething imagination and he starts taking on the personality and persona of Travolta's Chili Palmer. That that is a fun Gene Hackman. See that entire performance is fun. That movie is great. So I wanted to give a nod to get.
Speaker 1: Shorty, Where's Chili Palmer? Where's Leo de Vau? Where's my money? Ray? Look at me? What? Look at me? Ray? Did you just say look at you? Look at me? Ray? I'll tell you what, Harry, why don't you take him?
Speaker 2: Look at this again? Those are our top five Gene Hackman or ten Gene Hackman scenes. We would love to hear your picks or any other comments about the show, and I'll just go ahead and say it. Yes, we have both seen and enjoyed Bonnie and Clyde. You can email us feedback at Filmspotting dot net.
Speaker 1: If you want to connect with us on social media, you can find Adam and the show on Instagram and Facebook. He's at film Spotting. You can also find me at Larson on film. We are independently produced and listener supported. You can support the show by joining the film Spotting Family at film Spotting family dot com. You can listen early and ad free. You also get a weekly newsletter, monthly bonus shows, and access to the entire show archive. For show t shirts or even better film Spotting festposters, go to film spotting dot net slash shop.
Speaker 2: Some more Hackman talk in those film Spotting archives. We talked about the Royal Tenebombs for its fifteenth anniversary back on episode five eighty nine. Wow, that was a long time ag Young Frankenstein in memory of Gene Wilder. We talked about that on episode six oh two and going way back even pre Josh Larsen part of our New Hollywood Marathon, we talked about Bonnie and Clyde. I don't know how much time we devoted to Gene Hackman. That was episode two fifty three out Knew this weekend in limited release. Eric LaRue, directed by Michael Shannon, recommended by Josh earlier in the show The Friend, starring Naomi Watts and Bill Murray, also Anne Dowd and Constant Swoo. That's from directors David Siegel and Scott McGhee, who made What Mazie Knew and The Deep End. The Ballad of Wallace Island, a movie I really want to catch up with. A movie about an eccentric lottery winner who hires his favorite musician to perform a private gig, also invited the musician's ex bandmate and ex girlfriend played by Kerrie Mulligan. That's based on an award winning short film from two thousand and seven, Freaky Tales. Josh, did you know that Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck have a new film?
Speaker 1: I only know because producer Sam highlighted this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, Four interconnected tales set in Oakland, California, circa nineteen eighty seven, featuring punks and skinheads, a rat battle, and an NBA All Star. The Luckiest Man in America is out. This stars Paul Walter Hauser as Michael Larson, an unemployed ice cream truck driver who, in nineteen eighty four true story, went on the game show Pressed Your Luck and could not Lose. Walter Goggins and David Strathern co star A Nice Indian Boy, the story of Navine who brings his fiance Jay played by Jonathan groth Holme, to his traditional Indian family. VI It and Mom is also playing at the Gene Sisco Film Center in Chicago, a queer love story largely set in a coal mine. Our friends Robert Daniels and Mariah Gates were positive. Robert called it hypnotic. Mariah Gates called it ethereal and hunting. Okay, I'm sold out wide. Josh taking anybody to a Minecraft movie and he nieces or nephews. I've got a couple of kids who want to see it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you should do that. Unfortunately, I'll be out of town.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Unfortunately. I know you're really bummed. Jack Black, Jason Momoa, and Oscar nominee Danielle Brooks star directed by Jared Hess, who made Napoleon, Dynamite and Nacho Leebray. Next week on the show, it is Joe Wright's Pride and Prejudice at twenty with Michael Phillips. We'll share our top five rain scenes. We'll talk a little bit about ephus, and we will share the Film Spotting Madness Elite eight matchups.
Speaker 1: Film Spotting is produced by Golden Joe Disso and Sam van Holgren. Without Sam and Golden Joe, this show wouldn't go. Our production assistant is Sophie Kempenar and special thanks to everyone at wb eazy Chicago. More information is available at wbeazy dot org. For film Spotting, I'm Josh Larson.
Speaker 2: And I'm Adam Kempinar. Thanks for listening.
Speaker 4: This conversation can serve no purpose anymore.
Speaker 2: The Barn film Spotting is listeners supported. Join the film Spotting Family at Filmspottingfamily dot com and get access to ad free episodes, monthly bonus shows, our weekly newsletter, and, for the first time, all in one place, the entire film Spotting archive going back to two thousand and five. That's a Film Spotting Family dot com panicly