Speaker 1: The Around the NFL podcast. Thanks Dan needs another nickname?
Speaker 2: From the Chris Wesley podcast Studio. It's Around the NFL. I am the old Zeusser, Daddy Rich, tug Boat, the old New blue Eyes VANSA sure that seems like enough personally.
Speaker 3: Danzas is the only one you didn't give to yourself.
Speaker 1: I kind of like that one. No, actually that's incorrect.
Speaker 2: Big Daddy Rich was from Wes based on the Chuck Daily book he read, So you're right, that you're right.
Speaker 4: I thought Wes also was in the game of trying to come up for monikers for you inside names.
Speaker 2: He enjoyed that he did. Yeah, he did, and we miss him. Colleen Wilson, Yeah, what's up? Greg Rosenthal? And that's Mark Sssler.
Speaker 1: What's up?
Speaker 3: Hello? Here she is, she's backs the Chris Westling podcast Studio.
Speaker 1: I gotta say I'm a little.
Speaker 5: Disappointed, not mad, just disappointed the listeners. Oh yeah, you asked for something.
Speaker 2: I made a request for new Connie theme music.
Speaker 3: What came in and where is it?
Speaker 2: I asked Eric Robert's our producer Eric, right before we started any new submissions over in the ATM podcast at gmail dot com.
Speaker 3: Eric I did not see any.
Speaker 5: Counterpoint.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I understand why you're a little mythed a little bit, but what if fits the kind of thing where when you go into your own you know, workspace or lab, if you're the listener, you're just spending the right amount of time.
Speaker 5: To get okay, something genius versus something to It's been a solid week.
Speaker 6: But also I feel like there needs to be a competition or there needs to be a prize to really drive.
Speaker 7: People to do it.
Speaker 1: You got one more?
Speaker 3: I don't. I personally like that one. The acapella one.
Speaker 1: Is play it again, Collie.
Speaker 5: The Queen, The Queen a lot of.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 6: Now I'm starting to feel uncomfortable and I'm like sweating so too much?
Speaker 7: This is maybe a lot.
Speaker 3: I think that's your sleeping pill weary enough.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: It's like, listen, I haven't been sleeping very well last couple of nights. I've been up and awake, like I wake at one am and I can't fall back asleep until five. So last night I took a Benadryll esque pill called hydroxyzine.
Speaker 1: Oh when did this ever go wrong? For people?
Speaker 6: And I'm still coming out of it, not gonna lie, but I did sleep last night, so that's good.
Speaker 1: You look awake, thank you. At the very at the very least.
Speaker 6: I did, like, I'm really high.
Speaker 4: I know that sleeping world, and I'll I remember a time. Then at the combine, I mistakenly took like multiple Bena drills that were sleep produce scene versus the one where it's like we're gonna correct you, but you won't fall asleep. It's like the second of eighteen press conferences. And I was like, I'm dying. I'm like, I cannot stay awake. I need someone to cart me away, call an ambulance to get me a gun.
Speaker 6: I didn't know that there's a non drowsy benadryl Oh yeah, really, huh?
Speaker 7: I went, or you know, that's great.
Speaker 2: I can't take any cough medicine without falling asleep instantly, like it's it's.
Speaker 1: It might as well be.
Speaker 7: This is great information to know.
Speaker 2: And I remember we went to the it's a rite of passage if you grew up in the Tri State area, you go to the Christmas Spectacular at Radio City Music Hall one with the Rockets.
Speaker 1: And I was like.
Speaker 2: Twelve, and I was not feeling well and the whole family went, my whole mom's side of the family. So there was like twenty five thirty. Oh my god, and I was like, Mom, I'm sick. I can't do this like Danny, you're going so put on the sweater and then she gives me the cough medicine. Within five minutes of the show, I was head tilted back, snoring loudly in radio music hall.
Speaker 3: They didn't let me back in.
Speaker 2: Until like the two thousand and twelve drafts. Good memories, good memories, good security. Don't like drugs, they're just either.
Speaker 7: But now we know how to drug you instantly. Yeah that is great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, all right today, how you doing, Greg?
Speaker 3: I'm doing great.
Speaker 2: It's just a little quiet today. What's going on? What's going on in that brain, that big old brain of Greg?
Speaker 1: Is it the box?
Speaker 3: I think we've maybe reached the point where there's there's two I'm sick of hearing myself what We've reached the point of shows where it's like I'm done with it.
Speaker 1: That's a problem.
Speaker 7: My god, it's just week four.
Speaker 1: That's a problem.
Speaker 7: What is this mini coffin you have here?
Speaker 2: You see the box? Is what you think it is? This is not like a baby coffin or anything. This is a box.
Speaker 3: God.
Speaker 1: Okay, well you're the one that called it a mini coffin. What do you think you put in? A mini coffin?
Speaker 4: Could be used for that, if it could be a times a need, but it's that's not what it's doing right now.
Speaker 2: This is a box. It's a wooden box. I don't know what is it. It's not oak?
Speaker 1: Why? I think it's pretty cheap?
Speaker 2: Would but inside the box is well, what's one of your favorite films?
Speaker 1: Mark Sessler from the nineteen nineties.
Speaker 4: Oh, I know you're referring to seven seven Brad Pitt, Morgan Freeman, Gwyneth Peltry vehicle.
Speaker 2: From that particular film.
Speaker 3: No, what's in a box?
Speaker 1: There's not good stuff in this box?
Speaker 7: Do we have to open it now?
Speaker 1: It's not it's not Gwyneth Palshrow's head. So I'm gonna tell you that right now.
Speaker 2: But there's there's some ominous things in this box. And also, just to be nice, I put some a couple of good things in the box. Oh, so you're gonna pull You're gonna pull things out of this box, and most of them will be terrible, and your job will to will be to react to it and try to almost rationalize and spin it. If you get something bad.
Speaker 3: I mean, if there's ever a show to check out on YouTube.
Speaker 1: Oh god, it's a mess.
Speaker 6: The production value here is off the So we're pulling things out of that tiny box.
Speaker 2: Right out of the box. Hand in the box, pull it out, all right. But before that, let's get to the previews. The prime time and a certain series of games is beginning. International games begin this week, believe it or not, Week four.
Speaker 1: Let's start though on Thursday night.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, good one looking forward to this one. The Detroit Lions two and one heading to Lambeau to face the two and one Packers, both teams Greggi'm gonna get Greggie back by talking ball. This will get your juices flown again. The Lions very nice.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is sort of an I haven't been I haven't been that quiet. It's just I didn't have much to contribute it to.
Speaker 2: Well, it was more like I asked kind of like a kind of an innocent question. But then you came back with I can't hear myself anymore, and I'm like, oh, well that was you know, it was?
Speaker 1: It was good.
Speaker 2: The Lions played very well I thought, especially on the defensive side of the ball in Week three against the Falcons and the Packers. We know, coming back from seventeen down in the fourth quarter at Lambeau really in Jordan Love's first stark Reggie being shorthanded the way they are, that is like the birth of a new like I'm not gonna say legend, because you chances to get three legendary quarterbacks in a row or beyond Neil you would think, but it's the birth of a great storyline and a great potential career for Jordan Love. So, two teams feeling good about themselves, two rivals squaring off with Al and Kirk on the call your thoughts.
Speaker 3: I'm excited that we might get to see something closer to what the Packers were supposed to be going into the season in this game. The buzz, the word is that Aaron Jones and Christian Watson are expected to play join us. We'll see, We'll see about David Bachtiari and Jaya Alexander Alexander and so there's other important people. Elton Jenkins there, their offensive lineman might be out too. But I think it's a great coaching matchup, because I have really noticed Matt Lafleur feelin himself. His two point conversion that he went for to make it a six point deficit last week on the first touchdown. I think a lot of people notice that that won them the game. That's an example of you know, the nerds with the analytics like winning the game, and yet that's never a big story. But when when you go for fourth and one and you get stuff, that's a big story. But I've seen the creativity in the play calls. You've seen some wide open receivers for Jordan Love. Jordan Love's actually been the least accurate quarterback in the entire NFL in terms of throwing uncatchable balls. And that doesn't he either throws amazing passes or he's kind of all over the place.
Speaker 2: He's fifty one for ninety six and it's a little over fifty percent.
Speaker 3: Right, and he makes great throws and I think he makes good decisions, so the accuracy hasn't killed him. But my point is, we got Luke Musgrave out there, a rookie titles and Fine Jaden Reid, Dontevian Wis, and we got guys running open against NFL defenses. That's Matt Lafleur. He's really thrown some great shot plays every week. And now he's going up against the Lions defense, which is coming off their best game of the season and Aaron Glenn, who I think did such a good job last week against Atlanta. I think is a fun low matchup.
Speaker 4: I think it's these two teams that for you, you know, this is just you kind of are into teams, so you're not you can't help it. The Lions a super bar fest for me for like a decade plus and the Packers sort of just the same thing. I'm now like at a peak interest in both teams, and even last year with like team of atl it's like, cool.
Speaker 5: I'm with you kind of.
Speaker 4: But now I'm like what I see in the last couple of weeks that was they won me over.
Speaker 5: No, It's like that's just true. It was like I can't fake it.
Speaker 2: You know, well, you you denied throughout the last half of last season that you were faking it.
Speaker 4: Well, the thing is like, I see where you're coming from. But now now I feel a little bit different, and I think it's like these are two teams that have they're going through major transfer and like Brad Holmes to me, like the Lions GM this draft class, Jamiir Gibbs, Jack Campbell, Sam Laporta, Brian Branch who looks like an absolute star. Last year was Aiden Hutchinson On the Green Bay Packers side, you got red like you mentioned Dobbs Musgrave. These are the only two teams in the league with rookies who have three hundred and fifty plus scrimmage yards already this season. They are incredibly I think for the Packers that's come through injuries, no doubt, without Watson, without Jones.
Speaker 5: But it's like you've got like.
Speaker 4: These young teams developing into into a completely changed NFC North. And I'm with you that love is a little inaccurate, But I also love that he's like not scared to just throw the ball down field and Golf's like actual metrics and statistics over the last like twenty games are insane.
Speaker 5: It's like it's kind of just working out for both teams.
Speaker 4: So this is a Thursday night game that year in years past, I would have snoozed through probably parts of it.
Speaker 5: I will be watching this time.
Speaker 6: I can't wait for this game? Are you kidding me? I mean, I know it's so early, but you look at the rest of the division. These two teams are I think going to be duking it out at the end of the year for the division title.
Speaker 3: I mean, the other two are zero to three, so they're a good start.
Speaker 6: So whoever wins this game will have, you know, sole possession whatever for the for the time being of the division. But I think it's interesting too looking at the Packers' schedule after they get basically one game in twenty three days, because after TNF they get that mini by then they don't play again until Monday night and then they get an actual buy So it's a team that's banged up right now. That offensive line, as you guys mentioned, like they could be without sixty percent of their starting offensive line, which isn't great. But hopefully they'll get Aaron Jones back and they'll get Christian Watson back for the first time the season. You can kind of really see what this offense could be because guys like Romeo Dobbs, like he looks really good. That toe drag swag that he had on along the sideline. I feel like that didn't get nearly enough pop as it should have, and then you talk about the young guys on on the Lion's side, Jamior Gibbs starting in place of David Montgomery and looking really good. I mean he is going up against this Packers run defense now that allowed over two hundred yards in the lost to Atlanta, So he could be in for a nice game. If David Montgomery is not able to go.
Speaker 3: Sounds like Montgomery will play in Taylor Decker, their right tackle as well, could be returning. Ohthough the Lions are probably down about five other starters. Both these teams have been really destroyed by injuries and winning anyways.
Speaker 7: This injury report is insane.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so many people. Everybody's heart right now.
Speaker 2: It feels like that the Lions offenses had, especially you know in the goff Era, has had a really nice floor. In fact, they can match a franchise record. If they score at least twenty points on Thursday, that would be the thirteenth consecutive game they've done that.
Speaker 1: That's very nice.
Speaker 2: Also nice is when you watch this defense and I know it's the Falcons and they have their issues right now, but they're just they're continek neewing to build off the way last year ended, and the pass rush is getting home now. And it's not even just Aiden Hutchinson. I think he had only his first sack two in week three?
Speaker 1: Did he have two?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, a lot of pressures, but they're they're consistent. The pressure is getting home. You saw how they shut down Bejon Robinson on the ground in that game as well, So it's like you're seeing just growth, continued growth on that side of things. You mentioned Brian Branch who's all over the field, another rookie. So if this is what the lines are going to be, I I feel differently about them now than I did a month ago, because the defense really is if it's going to continue to build here, I know the offense is going to be good, and if you put those two things together, this is like a ten or eleven win team.
Speaker 1: I kind of liked them in this game.
Speaker 4: I thought it was like to you know, what they did against the Falcons to allow forty four yards on the ground.
Speaker 5: I didn't expect that to happen.
Speaker 4: I thought that was the kind of thing that Atlanta could do week after week, But the two weeks before they only allowed ninety to the Chiefs eighty two in week two they've got a stout on defense. He actually only had I think two sacks going into last into week three, and it kind of exploded against the Falcons, and so it's like can you continue that?
Speaker 5: Like I think you can.
Speaker 4: And you mentioned like Taylor Decker being back that takes pin sewell and moves him back to his natural position. So the line starts to look the way that they envisioned it, and they're strong on both fronts. And like the way that their offensive line this is like the number four line versus the number one and like that.
Speaker 3: That should be interesting in terms of what.
Speaker 5: PFF score of like overall line grade four verse one.
Speaker 6: I like that also just quickly Rashaan Gary, I mean, he looked great last week and he got the game ball and he was crying in the locker room and.
Speaker 3: Had coming off in a cluh and uh gonna be a free agent this year. And they're they're Russian Hutch from the inside quite a bit too, Like they're a funding if they win on the road after ending the Packers season in Week eighteen in that Sunday night game last year, that that's a big you know, shit, changing out the guard in the division. I think they're one year ahead. I'm with you. I like the lines. I think they're one year ahea and they're sort of developing. The Packers are kind of like where the Lions were a year ago.
Speaker 4: By the way, those line metrics are actually the attractiveness of each group, so it's not.
Speaker 1: If we get both physically attractive. Got it?
Speaker 6: All?
Speaker 2: Right, Let's head to Sunday and it's not a primetime game, but it is the beginning of the London series. We will be in London, hope we mentioned that. I think we have What game are we at?
Speaker 3: We're at a third one Titans Ravens Ravens, how.
Speaker 2: And the very excited for that. The first game is Falcons Jaguars, or to use the way they talk, Jaguars from Wembley Stadium, and you have the Falcons humbled a little bit, come back to earth after that Lions game. You need more from the quarterback obviously there because everything else seems like it's ready to roll the Jaguars.
Speaker 1: What are they? What are they right now? Connie? What are the Jaguars?
Speaker 6: It's a great question because the offense they never found a rhythm last week. I don't know really where I am on Desmond Ritter. He was just under pressure the entire game. He was sacked seven times. It affected his accuracy, it affected everything. And they couldn't run the ball either. So the offensive line was having massive, massive problems. The play calling was weird. It was just not a great game for them. Obviously Bejean Robinson, as I mentioned, he got really bottled up last week. But the Falcons defense kind of looks interesting right now.
Speaker 7: And yeah, it's always such a mess.
Speaker 6: There's never a pass rush, and it's not like the pass rush is anything incredible right now because it's still kind of middling. But they have guys like Grady Jarreted on the inside and David Anyamata who are really getting to the quarterback and pressuring him a ton, whoever that quarterback is. But also defensively like Jesse Bates three interceptions in three games. That was such an amazing pick up for them in the offseason, and it's something they really needed.
Speaker 1: They're good enough.
Speaker 3: Like the whole point was, let's get this defense good enough and the running game can carry us. And I was pretty disappointed last week by just like the lack of will that really the Lions won that battle against them. And this is another team in Jacksonville where they're much better stopping the run than they're rushing the passer. They're one of the worst pass rush teams in the league. Trayvon Walker the Worms Tourney in Jacksonville, where all the fans who were hitting out at any analysts that pointed out that, like, maybe that wasn't such a great pick. Aiden Hutchinson looks a little better. Now they're at that point where like this is looking very troubling. They Devin Lloyd's been a bit of a bus too, and the first round pick. He's hurt now out of this game. But this is a defense. It's pretty good stop in the run, and so they ask you to throw the ball against them, essentially, and that's what the Lions were doing last week. And Desmond Ritter is not at the point that he can take what the defense gives him. Like the defense is playing in such a way that like we're gonna do everything we can to stop the run. Let's see if you can take advantage. And that's why Arthur Smith is letting Ridder throw the ball more, but instead he's throwing a bunch of hospital balls. He's taken miss sacks and he's making big time mistakes, which in his four games last year, the one thing he did well was not make huge mistakes at least, and he's doing that this year.
Speaker 4: I guess like in another world, if the Desmond Ridder thing went really well, he's more like Jordan Love at this point. Imperfect, but there's like a lot of hope, and I think the hope is disappearing a little bit with Desmond Ridder, and it's like, I don't know that Tannehill trade concept still sits in my mind, is like maybe you course correct this as soon as possible, because there's a lot of talent on this team. They right now feel like if you can shut down the run and do what happened last week, you have no chance. And it's like they didn't seem very creative on offense to me a week ago. It's like everything I kind of liked about them when they went up against the Packers and what happened in week one vanished. And I think it's a chance for like a Jaguars team that's probably more practiced than any other lead team in the league at traveling to London and understanding how to do that and maximize it there for two weeks, which is a little strange. Like Doug Peterson, who I would I guarantee doesn't love the idea of staying in London for two weeks. None of these coaches actually do, no matter how nice it is for the.
Speaker 3: Fans like beautiful city.
Speaker 4: Like to go to London for two weeks to have to try to like he's already said, like we don't know how, like our film study is going to happen on a team wide basis in our hotel between week one and week two.
Speaker 5: So that just sits out there. But I think they're in general, like I.
Speaker 3: Mean they have Wi Fi over there, I can get.
Speaker 5: It's not a Wi Fi thing.
Speaker 4: It's more dislike up on the train going hotel versus team cam fishing. You got to like figure, yeah, but you don't have time to go fishing when you're trying to I mean, we don't have time to go for here.
Speaker 1: I know here is.
Speaker 2: A Desmond Redder stat the PFF because it happened again against the Lions. Or he's throwing the ball right to these teams and they're not catching the ball, and that's very fortunate because I think he's only credited with with what one interception so far this year? Had some fumbles her pff. He's had seven turnover worthy plays in three weeks.
Speaker 5: It's not gonna stay that lucky.
Speaker 2: Plus five is the ratio really to do it? And that leads the league, so he is. He's kind of surviving a little bit here by the rest of the team has played well and he's gotten pretty lucky. And I'm just wondering how much longer this is gonna last because because Arthur Smith, as we said, I haven't loved Arthur Smith away, he's been running this offense so far either, and I'm wondering when he takes the keys away from Ritter.
Speaker 1: And the problem with that is because you see this with other teams.
Speaker 2: If you go completely away from the quarterback, that makes your offense one dimensional, and then nobody wins that way either. You're kind of stuck in our league if your quarterback stinks, and who is their backup?
Speaker 1: Who is what does plan be?
Speaker 2: And that's when if I'm a Falcons fan, if this isn't gonna work out, I'm mad because this team was otherwise ready to make the leap, and you didn't really build in a backup plan.
Speaker 1: So I'm still early. I would be curious behind a kid. Okay, I wonder when we see him because.
Speaker 3: They're too long one, they're two and one, because they're.
Speaker 2: Still saying all the right things and he hasn't. Doesn't seem like riders lost the locker room. You hear all the guys saying, he's our dog. We're riding with him. But let's see what happens if this continues.
Speaker 7: Calvin Ridley Revenge Game.
Speaker 3: Ah yeah, I am very curious how Ridley comes out in this game. Ridley has been one of the biggest reasons why the Jaguars have lost these two games. I mean, he has beyond struggled four drops in the two games, a bunch of mental errors. The Jaguars are sort of the opposite of Atlanta, whereas like their quarterback's playing well. I think once you actually watch the games and everyone else is struggling, Like he's third in PFF grades and they're twenty seventh in offensive EPA like per past and third seems a little high to me, but I kind of get it. And Ridley seems in his head like Peterson had to talk to him. They're trying to like run the offense through him and maybe he's not totally ready for that. It's it's a weird situation. And now you got the game against Land. I do want to mention I had this book sent to me by Ben Isaacs, the American Football Revolution, Dan written fell in Love with the NFL.
Speaker 1: It's it's just a picture of us in the book.
Speaker 3: We're actually and it's the hardcover. We're actually mentioned in the book. But it reminds me because this game is at Wenley hold On.
Speaker 5: What does it say about us?
Speaker 7: What's about Mark?
Speaker 3: I think it's just like popular with how is this not book actually a book like you could read?
Speaker 2: You went out of your way to bring up the book, Greggy, And we're in the book to give Ben Isaacs about us. We're not even going to stop down. We're just gonna all sit here silently until Greg finds us in the book.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say how all the games used to be at Wembley and now this is the only one that.
Speaker 7: It's Trevor Lawrence's birthday too while they're over there.
Speaker 4: So this is where he got is like to your point, Greg on Lawrence because he has four touchdowns and three interceptions, over his last six games. But it's like a box score that lies because he is essentially like third in the league on big time throws.
Speaker 3: He's been fine, but his drop.
Speaker 4: Rate is second in the in the NFL. Calvin Ridley looked great in Week one. I thought it was like, this is gonna completely change their offense. And it's been a ton of drops. They've had that stuff in the end zone against the Chiefs, there was a sideline throw that went awry. It's like he's getting Trevor Lawrence has some bad luck with his white out so far.
Speaker 3: Like they're trying to integrate Ingram and Kirk, like didn't have any touches in the first half and then they're you know, sometimes the.
Speaker 1: Year right now. All right, So that's a good game.
Speaker 2: Shout out to everybody in England and surrounding territories. Should be a fun watch. And yes, we'll see you in a couple of weeks. One last thing, honey. Yeah, And this is not a Connie thing. This is more like our business type of thing. We throw around revenge game pretty liberally, and like what revenge Like, what did the Falcons do to Calvin Ridley? I mean he stepped away from the team for mental health issues. That's not something we're making fun of him joking about. But then he gambled on pro football and then got suspended for a year.
Speaker 1: And then they were like, we got.
Speaker 5: It's a gray area.
Speaker 1: We got to kind of move on here.
Speaker 7: This is a little all right, so we'll reboot it. We'll call it a connection game, all right.
Speaker 2: Doesn't have the same but I understand same juice. If anything, it could be. Nobody ever says that's a Falcons revenge game like on Ridley put us in a tough spot.
Speaker 7: That's true.
Speaker 5: Stree team against player.
Speaker 7: You guys, have you checked your passports?
Speaker 1: By the way, I am, I'm good. I know what you're saying.
Speaker 3: I just got from ten years.
Speaker 7: Yeah, if it's expired, because mine was, so.
Speaker 6: We went rama and I just just noticed it.
Speaker 1: And you're leaving next Monday. See, I was in the situation you got to do that.
Speaker 5: I realized it's very stressful.
Speaker 7: We're dealing with the State Department.
Speaker 1: You're dealing with the State Department.
Speaker 2: You're dealing dealing with a lot of bureaucracy, and you got to cut through red tape.
Speaker 1: Huh, And you gotta get on that airplane.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, I know.
Speaker 1: I don't wish that upon you.
Speaker 4: They get into that Colleen background check area, which he gets Murky.
Speaker 6: Were gon that they're going to find out about the traffic school and a speeding ticket.
Speaker 2: And why you left. You fled to Philadelphia for the other side of the country. He started, there's some on the limb.
Speaker 7: Yeah, some stories living in Mexico.
Speaker 1: Now I put it that way. Put it that way, all right.
Speaker 2: Next Sunday night football, Oh my god, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Remember and Greg is looking he searched.
Speaker 3: I haven't get about to give up.
Speaker 7: They have like an index or you look like you're really trying hard.
Speaker 3: I'm scared. I'm popping the pages. What more you can you do?
Speaker 2: Do you remember the recent film directed by Adam McKay Don't Look Up. Yeah, a little heavy handed, a lot of stars in it, some good moments.
Speaker 1: It's fine, Okay.
Speaker 4: I liked it more than other people. Yeah, I kind of did too, but it got railed by the like the a.
Speaker 2: Little bit, A little bit. I find it quite rewatchable. Check it out. However, the movie is about these two kind of low level astronomers who realize that there's a comet heading for Earth and then they're trying Greg gave up. I'm they are trying so hard to get people ready to understand what's about to happen, and especially their own government refuses to amplify the message you're trying to send and leading to the government and the President played by Meryl Streep and the Henchman played by Jonah Hill starting at catch race.
Speaker 1: Don't even look up, don't look up. Everything's fine.
Speaker 2: By the way, spoiler alert pause, it hits and the world ends.
Speaker 1: That's how it ends. Okay.
Speaker 2: That's how I feel as a Jets fan entering Sunday Night football that the Jets and I know they went out and they got Trevor Simeon now and everything is well and good.
Speaker 1: But it's not. They've been telling us.
Speaker 2: They've been telling us as Jets fans and telling football fans, everything's fine, don't worry about it. Zach's not the problem. We support Zach Wilson. Sunday is going to be fine. The Chiefs at home and a big Prime Times that's fine. The slow Star, that's fine. There is not an issue here.
Speaker 5: It's like a way to go Brownie.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So we're Leo here and we're Jen Lawrence, and we're trying to spread the gospel that no, not everything is fine at all. I am terrified about Jets Chiefs Sunday Night football because I do think this could be a potential disaster, asteroid level disaster for the Jets. I was texting with somebody who I respect more than anyone else when it comes to Jets history, Rich Semini of ESPN, just about what's been going on in the past week or so, and he kind of reminded me something that he wrote right the night of the Rogers injury. He said, the repercussions from the Rogers injury will be felt for years and will impact many lives. Sunday Night could be a rock bottom moment. That's what I'm scared about. And I'm not into Jet like misery porn. I don't want that. That's part of the thing that thinks about it. He just want to be positive. You wanted this year to be different. But everything is telling me, oh my god, duck and cover Sunday Night. And my brother Kevin has told me he got a free ticket to the game. Apparently back East, everybody's trying unload their tickets for this game and I was telling my brother, don't go to that game. Damn, don't do it, dude. It's it's gonna be really sad and really gnarly. That's my fear. I think a lot of people feel this way. Samiti also reported that he was told that there was a here's a quick rundown. Samini reports he was told that it was a hot topic in the locker room. Zach Wilson continued to start. Robert Sali repeatedly in press conferences threw his support behind Zach Wilson.
Speaker 1: Eric Roberts told me right before they started.
Speaker 2: In his media address today, he kind of pointed out it finally that Zach needs play better. We know Zach needs to play better. That's the first time you even really said that. Joe Namath, the most positive influence around the Jets forever, no matter how bad things are, Joe Namath, the most famous person around the Jets, finally broke bad and turned on the entire organization. In a interview on ESPN Radio, Michael Kay, here's just a quick portion.
Speaker 1: How can a coach make things better for Zack?
Speaker 2: How can a coach say the locker rooms together?
Speaker 1: How many teams have we been on are you telling me to earn some cats on the defensive side saying whoa man? I want the wrong with you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's not all harmony in the locker room, and if there is, they need.
Speaker 1: To get rid of the people.
Speaker 2: He's calling for Douglas and Solid to be fired and for the scorched Earth. Then you have Aaron Rodgers out in Malibu and we don't need it. Aaron doing the McAfee show and speaking of I would like to play you what Aaron Rodgers said, but we have a quick aside here.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and now it's time for the latest edition of the Media Landscape Report with host Dan Kansas.
Speaker 1: I would love to play you. Thank you, Eric.
Speaker 2: I would love to play you Aaron Rodgers on the Pat McAfee show.
Speaker 1: But it's essentially behind a paywall. Now.
Speaker 2: Oh, ESPN is charging a licensing fee for anything that comes out of that show.
Speaker 5: Yeh.
Speaker 2: You will not be hearing anything from the Pat mcaviee Show on this program going forward.
Speaker 1: And my take on.
Speaker 2: This is this is probably above McAfee and his people been on their show. Good, they do great. They started as like a grassroots show together. Now they're an ESPN isn't it good to have your show played on different formats throughout the country.
Speaker 4: I think it is above his head. It's like an ESPN NFL media issue.
Speaker 7: Charging and then not to make that money.
Speaker 4: Well, why are we not pained? Why are we where's the I mean, we're a multi billion dollar company. I asked the question what are we spending money on? Although I'm not supposed to ask that question, so I won't ask that question.
Speaker 1: And then there was a fun clip on Fox like we love you know, Terry Bradshaw. We love Terry Bradshaw, love him like he's He's like America's uncle. Right.
Speaker 2: He had an issue remembering Desmond Rider's name. Wanted to play that on this show, like one of the things I like about this show. So we talked about the media landscape in the NFL, not just the games. Can't play that either won't be cleared by Fox, And you know, I just want to say, you know, come on, that's why we have Terry on the show. He's he's kind of folksy and he stumbles sometimes, so let's have fun. Let's have fun together.
Speaker 7: Does some won't do Terry?
Speaker 1: That might be we might have to We've done it with Liev Schreiber.
Speaker 3: Right, I think the only repercussion is to never mention the Pat McFie show ever again. That'd be the only way to strike back. But Betty's making news.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't think it's Pat.
Speaker 3: I don't even thinks I'm saying. They're getting the pop anyways, without without the they're getting their cake and eating it too.
Speaker 1: All right, good up, good up.
Speaker 7: I'm worried about you on Sunday.
Speaker 2: Like I'm worried because I'm okay. It's like it's fine, Like I know what's coming, so you can't hurt me. It's gonna be miserable and it's gonna be ugly. And Aaron Rodgers from Malbus telling the Jets from three thousand miles away to grow up and not point fingers, and it's like, we'll see the Chiefs are gonna roll once again. And it just to me, it's just gonna be How bad can it get? I do think this is the last time Zach Wilson ever starts a game.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's what I think.
Speaker 3: It does. Goes to show how meaningless talk is and even human behavior before actual games. Because Hard Knocks is pretty convincing that he's like this new guy. He's more confident. Every Romo, every person that he sits down with, the coaches, they're all convinced he's playing with a new confidence. But then he gets out on the field and he doesn't play with the new confidence. He plays with no confidence. He just holds the ball forever. I know it's against Belichick, but like, none of that translated. All of it was just talk to fill airtime, and you don't really know until the ball snapped, and now he can.
Speaker 7: In short, everything is a lie.
Speaker 3: You know what, you know what I'm curious about, and let me know what you think, Dan, I don't want you to be offended by this. I do wonder if the Jets defense is good enough. They're definitely not good enough for this situation, but are they good enough in general? Like, what's the better defense in this game? Is it the Chiefs or the Jets? So far, the numbers would tell you, you know, the Chiefs in three games. The Jets have been good, but they're seventeenth in DVA. I think that's misleading. But even just yards per drive, points per drive, they haven't been great. The Cowboys have played three games. The Cowboys offense clearly played their best against the Jets. As a as a Patriots fan, when I've got a chance to watch that game, it's like, look, the Jets finished that game being special and that that was the one time all year I really thought, And they finished out the Bills game, So they've had moments, not like they've been bad, but before that, I was thinking, wow, this is the best. You know, the Patriots moved the ball pretty well, you know, yards per play over three hundred and fifty yards. They're a pretty limited offense to be in with. I was like, Okay, this is pretty positive. They're they're moving the ball better against the Jets, certainly than against the Dolphins. The Jets are built around their defense, and there's a lot of reasons how Zach Wilson the offense affects the defense. But that was the first half of that game. And they've just been good and they got to be great and they haven't been great.
Speaker 4: Sauce Gardner's not been last year, Sauce Gardner on in every way, it's been a little bit different. But I really and I know there's this like a momentum doesn't exist. I hear you, Patrick Cleband, but like, uh, the one thing. I think we've been saying this for weeks.
Speaker 3: Like it's so funny how Patrick's and everyone said, because I did a show with Adam Rank this week and he's said the exact same thing that you have said before, and he's like, I could hear Claybot in my head right now.
Speaker 4: But I think moment I disagree because I here's why I disagree, because like we've been talking about the Fisher in the locker room for a long time, and I think it's like you can take the hope out of a side of the ball, or they could be frustrated, or it's like does it affect like if you don't think you have a chance, Like do you spend a little bit less time watching film? Do you you kind of just hope you get through the season without injury. I mean, I trust these players care a ton, and they're not doing that yet. But if it's like your offense has scored ten or fewer points eleven times since twenty twenty one, the vast majority except for two of those have all been Zack Wilson's starts, and so it's like, I hate that this is happening to Zach Wilson, the person, the whole thing. It's like it's an organizational failure when you've spent more time with this player than anyone else, and you went in thinking that he could handle this. If anything happened to Aaron Rodgers at all, even if it was like two starts where you needed them, this was your self scouting, all right.
Speaker 2: And we all feel, I guess bad for Zach Wilson, but it's ultimately the organization.
Speaker 1: He should have never been back on them.
Speaker 2: He shouldn't be in this situation, and he is on the field and they won't give up. To answer your question, Greg, yeah, the defense has been good, more than great. I mean, they give up sixteen points to Josh Allen and the Bills, they give up fifteen points or thirteen points to the Patriots, or's a safety in there.
Speaker 1: So it's been good.
Speaker 2: But like the pass rush hasn't gotten home as much as I thought it would. And also it's like I don't think the coaching has been good for this team. I think that Hackets been a little bit lost in the woods with Wilson. They're not using guys like me Cale Hardman at all. They're not They're not getting they're running the ball too much early, like Tony Romo screaming passed the ball on first down.
Speaker 1: You got to mix things up, and I think.
Speaker 2: Solid like, let's mix in some blitzes, let's get after mac Jones a little bit. They're just leaning on that four men pass rush and the books out get the ball out quickly against the Jets pass rush.
Speaker 3: This is another gut yarded that is better at getting the ball out quickly now than anything.
Speaker 2: And then the Chief side, Yeah, I think they're set up really well. I think they the way they uh the schedule worked out for them last week is a cakewalk against the Bears. I think they get the Jets at a perfect time. Obviously, the biggest drama around them is Taylor Swift gonna be at MetLife Stadium.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't know what else like she will worry about.
Speaker 5: I think so do Travis Kelcey Jerseys.
Speaker 4: The sales on those rows four that tells you they have a whole new group of people that care about the Chiefs.
Speaker 5: Now, that's kind.
Speaker 2: I listened to the New Heights podcast today, You and so they and the world first time very good, excellent, have great chemistry.
Speaker 3: Our old producer, TD is their executive producer really kind of runs it.
Speaker 2: Really they actually, to TD's credit, I liked actually the production elements of it, the way they did camera cuts and everything was very very good. And Kelsey, uh told I talked about it like kind of jokingly, is this going to be a distraction. It absolutely is going to be a distraction of Travis Kelsey, he told me.
Speaker 1: He told me so.
Speaker 2: It's a parasocial relationships. Told us that paparazzi are staking him out outside his house now every time he leaves the house.
Speaker 7: Like, guys, I feel like this is a PR stunt.
Speaker 1: No, let's hold that thought. We're gonna get to that maybe a little bit.
Speaker 3: I do kind of I do quickly love this guest for the Chiefs offense who've been developing, and I don't think their issues are gone because they blew out the Bears. So when they have the ball, that to me is a very intriguing matchup because they're figuring out their receivers. But Mahomes has only taken one sack this year. It's like he's it's like he's Jordan's and he decided I'm going to turn in like I'm gonna work on this year not taking any sacks. I'm gonna be like Peyton Manning who just refused, didn't matter what is how I was off, just refuse to take a sack. And you got to see the run setting up the pass. He's been running more this year too, so it's been a little less different shaky tackle play too.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Oh my god, Jawan Taylor like the penalties. It's the region.
Speaker 1: He's got to figure that out. Are you okay?
Speaker 2: Because I know you said justin Herbert is Michael Jordan's now Greg's coming for.
Speaker 5: The completely a trait of Michael Jordan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was the whole thing. We're going to add one move to the arsenal. I don't know how people.
Speaker 4: Giving up on major requests that mattered to the people around them, and you just took that England book and tossed it to the side.
Speaker 5: I don't know why you can't find where.
Speaker 3: We can do it later later it's for the show. It's gonna be uh, I'll find it for next show. But it was it was a one line. It wasn't anything that sticking point with me.
Speaker 2: Our podcast has never been mentioned, and any published book before this is huge.
Speaker 3: Thank you to uh ben I. Isaac's way more pub than he was expecting.
Speaker 2: Finally, Monday Night Football, the Giants are back in prime time.
Speaker 5: Why are they doing this New York, New York thing at home to again.
Speaker 2: Ratings because they're trying to make the most money because they thought Aaron Rodgers was going against Noatrick Mahoe.
Speaker 5: You're right, like it's in.
Speaker 1: The Giants are big eyes.
Speaker 5: But failed destiny.
Speaker 2: Here we go Seattle at the g men, Connie, your thoughts on, Oh my.
Speaker 7: God, the Seahawks. They're so hurt right now.
Speaker 6: I mean they came into the game against Carolina down two starters already. I mean there were two starters left that game, Trey Brown and Dramonte Jones. With that hip injury, they were already down seven starters, like they had their outside linebacker Darrell Taylor.
Speaker 7: He didn't finish the game.
Speaker 6: But hopefully they get Rieke Woolen back at cornerback. That would be huge. If Jamal Adams makes his season debut, that would also be nice on Monday Night Football, and then they have the week five by so they get some time to kind of get a little healthier and hopefully that'll help them. But the thing for me on offense, for them, they need to improve on third down like it's been It's been so bad to watch this offense and Gino Smith operate that way. I mean three of twelve on third down. I know that they put up thirty seven points, but still that's like not going to hold up against better teams.
Speaker 4: I think this is a good matchup for them though, even though they are missing guys. You're the Giants have PFF thirty AETH rank defense. Our friend Kevon Thibodeau spin them a no show this season. They cannot rush the passer. They're they're banged up all over the place too, and it does help though. I mean, I think there's a chance you get Saquon Barkley, a chance, I would say probably not. But Andrew sounds like Andrew Thomas is coming back.
Speaker 1: Really, he's day to day.
Speaker 5: Day to day.
Speaker 3: I mean, they said he had a chance to play last right, but that.
Speaker 5: Sounded like that.
Speaker 6: He told Taylor Rooks that he's dealing with a high ankle sprain. Yeah, so I don't know.
Speaker 4: I have no idea, but any Andrew Thomas back would be big, Like they need that for their line it's been a shambles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Seattle's run defense is much improved, and I think that's something you're seeing one of the big difference between last year and this year. So even if Saquon plays, I don't think the ball they're moving the ball on the ground the Giants, Matt Rita is not gonna move the needle on that point. This game is not being played in Seattle, but I just want to give it a shout out because we've got a lot of Seahawks fans a listener to the show. Shout out to you guys, especially you guys at lumin Field eight. Yeah, false star penalties for the Panthers in the and that game.
Speaker 1: That was a special energy at that game watching it.
Speaker 2: They had the twenty thirteen Seahawks there and a bunch of those dudes are there and lead you to boom. And they're guys giving pregame speeches and all this stuff, and that reminded me. I got some flashbacks. I remember being at the opening kickoff game following the Super Bowl win. It was Packers Seahawks Thursday night, and I'd never seen a city so completely aligned with their team. Just walking through Seattle's a beautiful Thursday morning. I remember and just walking around had never been to Seattle before, and everyone's wearing Seahawks jerseys. Everybody's a member of the twelves. And when that building gets hyped up, that is you know, get a home game Seahawks, because I.
Speaker 1: Feel like you did dance.
Speaker 6: That was my favorite. One of my favorite cities to go to for Thursday night football was Seattle.
Speaker 7: That place.
Speaker 6: It really there and Arrowhead were really legitimately two of the loudest places where you feel your whole body almost like it feels like you're having an out of body experience, like your brain is vibrating when you're there because of like the speakers and everything. The music is so loud, like you can feel the building and ground underneath your feet actually shaking.
Speaker 2: Un Fortunately, this game is in the big sardine can in the metal well.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe yeah, that to show up a little for this one. There's a lot of transplants that would be nice. I want to see if they're defensive line, which really dominate against Carolina, but it was Carolina has some stain power because they were very quiet the first two weeks, very good in that game. John Reid kind of turned the clock back and and if Rik Willen is back. And then Devin Witherspon, who I mentioned was kind of the main character of the week before, and there was some good and a lot of bad. But man, there was a lot of good in his second week. He he is a dog out there. He's a very entertaining cornerback to watch. Jamal Adams might be returning for this game. And then you got Gino in the Ultimate revenge game. I mean, you want to talk revenge game. Oh, he finally gets a chance out of the storyline. Fiver six years on the bench, Let's let's put him in. He has a solid start, but oh no, the ownership can't bear for Eli Manning to sit out anymore. And they make what's his name with the funny haircut their head coach.
Speaker 1: Come on, I know it. I know it too.
Speaker 3: Ben ben Back the only man who believed it. You know, they made a bench you know, then they fired him and then they ended up sticking with Eli for a year and a half.
Speaker 1: Why are you talk about this, Gregg?
Speaker 3: Yeah, My point is Gino, it's got to go there against a defense that has two sacks in the season, no turnovers.
Speaker 1: Good and I know they're an underdog in this game.
Speaker 3: Gino Smith is down an underdog. Let's lock it up.
Speaker 2: Good luck good I like your locking with your heart, which is not You're usually more clinical than that. But why because you hate the Giants more than anything in the world. You wouldn't want, you know, Renaissance to be happening in Jersey. It's that's the way it worked out. Everything worked out, that's true.
Speaker 5: OOKI is more Jetsanks than Giants.
Speaker 7: I almost forgot that he was on the Giants for that one.
Speaker 1: Greg is very big on that one star.
Speaker 3: Well, that start was kind of crazy. I mean, not that he was amazing, but he didn't like ball out ownership made the like essentially ended the coach's career by saying, you have to play Eli. I understand it, use all the time stunk right, But the talk radio guys were like. The talk radio guys were like, how dare you do this? I'm going to make you play Eli And then they fired the Coach.
Speaker 5: Show for a number of episode in a row.
Speaker 4: We got into like arguments as a group over the whole Eli Manning thing. And you and I think that you were not seeing it from this the viewpoint of the typical New York fan that had a relationship with Eli Manning and the organization that was like so loyal to miss pretty much a New York thing.
Speaker 2: I thought that was that And this is diffic and the saxt important figure in the history of Giants football, Eli Manning.
Speaker 1: You view him as like West was similar.
Speaker 2: It's like there was nothing personal about There was no it was just the data points and the study of the film says that he's not a very good quarterback, but he was so much more to that team and the idea of benching him and ending his consecutive game star streak for a at that point, Gino was, you know, a journeyman that didn't sit right with the fans or ownership.
Speaker 3: And in fairness, they actually played last year. We did this whole story line. Then the Seahawks rolled and Gino went out of his way to say exactly what you said the opposite, that he was treated great, that that Macadow believed in him, and he was he loved his time.
Speaker 1: Are continuing this narrative.
Speaker 2: This is how the by the way, this is how the game has won for you, Greg and you get the lock because man Ken Walker and Zach Sharbonay, one guy's breaking ankles.
Speaker 1: The other the guy's breaking sternams. That's a nice combo.
Speaker 5: That's nice.
Speaker 1: That poor Franklin kid still tumbling through the universe.
Speaker 2: All right, speaking of the box, let's take a break and then we will look what's.
Speaker 3: In the box?
Speaker 2: All Right, we're back again. Uh, this is giving a lot of consternation. There's a lot of trepidation. There's a lot of dations here. What's in the box? And you, guys, we're gonna pass the box around. You're gonna take something out of the box, and your job is kind of just talk your talk yourself through it.
Speaker 1: If it's a positive thing, if it's a happy thing in.
Speaker 2: The box, we could talk about that obviously, and that's great, but you might get something really terrible in the box?
Speaker 5: Are we Is it like a charades thing where we're not telling you what it is or no, you're.
Speaker 1: Gonna share it with us.
Speaker 2: And then your job our job, because I think it's important to try to be positive people in the world. We're making a large audience. Try to spin it, okay if you can.
Speaker 3: Okay, Mark Sessler about that the first person on this very new thing I'm excited.
Speaker 1: What's in a box? Alright?
Speaker 3: You read from seven?
Speaker 5: Is it?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Is that Mills?
Speaker 1: All right? From the sequel eight? Nailed it?
Speaker 5: Hey, you here is playing halftime at Super Bowl? Who usher? Oh okay, hmmm.
Speaker 4: I'll spin it in the sense that, like, yeah, this is totally appropriate individual to play the halftime. I'm not a huge usher person on any level, so it's not like I'm super disappointed that he's playing for someone else. Every time I've been to the Super Bowl, I think Wes and I sort of held hands in the concept of like, eh, maybe paying attention to this or not. But I started to learn more and more that the halftime show was incredible.
Speaker 1: But you were holding hands not paying it.
Speaker 5: On the topic of.
Speaker 4: Like like like you know, like I because you would go Dan, you go out, and like I always watch pay close attention to it to matter to you, I would say, I can't claim as much intrinsic interest in some of the guests. This would be on the like Beyonce was amazing, so come surprise me like I want and now I'm gonna give more attention to it, and uh to go in totally open mind. You know how many super Bowls you get to go to and so I'm all for it.
Speaker 6: Usure played a huge role in my life growing up. I love us H G R R, A, Y M O and d M. Come on, you remember that song? I can no, I don't now, baby, tell me what you want to do with me?
Speaker 7: Mob on Ava?
Speaker 3: You know what did you did? You figure skate to this? Why was he such a big part of your life?
Speaker 6: Because I always listened to him. But he's also a really good performer. I will say that, like, even if he has not dropped a song, a new song, while you do well in this she puts on a great show. So I have no doubts about that.
Speaker 3: You said you're a fit, you're a legit fan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I liked it.
Speaker 3: I'm saying so when I brought this up because Emica, my betrothed betrothed is going to the super Bowl this year.
Speaker 5: For truth, it's betrothed, betrothed.
Speaker 3: You never said that, Troth. It's good to say, be Troth.
Speaker 5: It's his wife. He can say it as he wants to.
Speaker 3: Good to say new words out loud for the first time at this advanced stage. I definitely never said that. Uh, she was excited about this now. It wasn't like Beyonce or Rihanna or anything where she would have gone nuts and was you know, a little jealous that she wasn't there for the Rihanna year and it was her dad. It's been quite a while. I don't think she's been to a super Bowl since the New York one. But Usher, it was kind of like, Okay, that works good. Yeah, it's like check in the box. And what you said is like as pop stars go, and I'm not really one to judge, but from people I trust. If you're just talking dancing skills from a man who sings as a lead pop star, very nice, all time, great, right.
Speaker 7: At the top, right near to surprise people.
Speaker 2: Okay, good, you kind of got me sold. I think I think we have now moved. And it was kind of a little bit of a a sin. I thought that it took so long to start incorporating hip hop and R and B action into the halftime show until they totally exhausted the classic rock genre. I think now what they're doing is they are going through the essentially classic hip hop.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, doctor Dre two years ago.
Speaker 1: But that was awesome, I.
Speaker 3: Think to a certain audience.
Speaker 2: The one thing I'll say about Usher as we slide the box to Greg is we will get Little John on stage.
Speaker 5: And I'm gonna do Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's the anchor of the whole set.
Speaker 4: So he's also like seven or eight people in these acts anyway, So if it's if you're upset with Usher, there'll be seven or eight other people to please you.
Speaker 7: We'll take that rewinded back.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but I'm wondering because, like you know, during super Bowl week and leading up to the super Bowl, we always play the songs on the shows, and I just like don't know how many songs are PG and to play hard?
Speaker 2: Yeah, shadowy League figures on the third floor. Why they were so reticent to go down this road?
Speaker 3: Right? Because you gotta you gotta play I can't wait. You gotta play Love in the club. But hey, some wild things going on?
Speaker 1: Wild?
Speaker 7: Okay, what's in the box?
Speaker 1: What's in the box?
Speaker 3: All right? What's good?
Speaker 1: Box?
Speaker 3: The Browns are allowing zero or negative yards on fifty three point seven percent of their plays. That is a totally preposterous stat It's almost hard to believe. I guess incomplete passes count as that, so that helps make it make sense. A little, but their level of dominance through three weeks, and yeah, there's no need to spin this rivals any three week stretch in terms of EPA, p P and whatnot that basically any defense has ever had. Certainly to start the season, I think it's the best since ninety nine, and just basically any three week stretch, it's hard to beat how the Browns are playing defense right now. And that's why I'm interested this week. That we'll get into it Thursday, but a better competition, I think in terms of the team they're playing.
Speaker 4: And I mean just to think of how dark times have been on that defense in general, and I can't really remember unless you go back to the Bill Belichick era decades ago in Cleveland, any players on that side of the ball having fun. In fact, the last couple of years, it was like a lot of grumbling about the coordinator, the scheme, you've got talent not being used correctly. And my mind goes to this play from Sunday against the Titans where the Titans, as Miles Garrett is moving around the field and he's moving all over the place. Now on that defense under Jim Schwartz, that they're just rotating two tight ends who were like dozy doing from one side of the formation to the.
Speaker 5: Next to try to cover Miles Garrett.
Speaker 4: And finally it just ended in a delay of game or something like that, and Jim Schwartz on the sideline is just sitting there chuckling his head off.
Speaker 7: Lapping and like Rabel, it's like rubbing his eye.
Speaker 4: This has not happened in Cleveland in a long time, so you don't have to spin it too hard.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Tom Schwartz is like, I think, the perfect coordinator for that defense.
Speaker 7: Miles Garrett looks so good.
Speaker 6: But that play and then after they came back, Miles Garrett ended up getting the sack anyway, on that play.
Speaker 7: It was great.
Speaker 3: Isn't it your turn Schwartz for president?
Speaker 5: I mean, we know he's got coordinator of the year.
Speaker 3: He's got he's got Mark feel and a fletter connection to the nineties.
Speaker 7: Okay, great, what's in the box?
Speaker 1: You could take the girl out a Philo.
Speaker 6: Vance Joseph's Sunday night meeting with Sean Peyton.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, it's spin a blondie.
Speaker 7: You know what?
Speaker 6: Sometimes the what is it, the strongest steel goes through the hottest fire, and this is a come to Jesus moment, and it's nice that it happened this early in the season for these two. Having some quality time together will hopefully help them kind of get through some of the blocks that they're having. But allowing seventy points for Vance Joseph, it's not great.
Speaker 1: Forget about Zach Wilson feeling bad for him.
Speaker 2: Did you see some of those sideline shots of Vance Joseph as that game was going on.
Speaker 3: It's ugly.
Speaker 7: How do you spend that positive?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because it's not just seventy against the Dolphins and ruining in Sean Payton's mind his return to the sideline and embarrassing him, I mean thirty two points in the last three quarters against the Commanders. Also in retrospect, great, that's pretty tough when you're giving up a monster lead to the Commanders. I do think Sean Payton will be like extra icy because he's making him look bad.
Speaker 4: It's a really weird situation because this doesn't happen that much in the NFL at all, where like he was a failed Broncos head coach, negative memories and energy around that regime and that time you come back as a defensive coordinator was kind of like touted like, hey, this is great, like it's great to be back here, and it's like, no, you like four or five years later went back and dated like an x and realizing like a couple of weeks in, like, oh, I completely remember why I walked away from this whole situation. Now you're stuck in the middle of it. Greg called Sean Payton's career over after the failed on side kick to open Week one, and you know what, it's pretty good about what Greg said. Not for Sean Payton, but for Greg.
Speaker 2: I thought it was over when Kevin James played him in a bio pick. It was like, it's kind of there's no coming back from that.
Speaker 3: I thought it was over when John Elway passed them Josh Allen, that was a big.
Speaker 1: Tough ye by the way, they get just like you, John.
Speaker 2: Come on, they get the Bears at Soldier Field, they don't win that game. Oh and then they don't beat in a Trevor Simeon revenge game the Jets in Week five.
Speaker 1: Then they go to listen to the next three games.
Speaker 3: No, no, it's a path to two and three. Though, to be fair, that's who you'd kind of are a schedule.
Speaker 2: On the flip side, Yeah, they could go on five at Kansas on a short week. There's in a football home against Green Bay, home against Kansas City again, god bye week at Buffalo, they could get gnarly, that's all.
Speaker 5: But Daniel Hackett is eleven and I think.
Speaker 1: Vance Joseph could be the guy who pays for it.
Speaker 5: If Yeah, but think you want to be a part of it.
Speaker 2: You got to win one of these next two games. You have to or we're talking that way.
Speaker 3: Those ultimately you can't bears the awkward.
Speaker 5: That flight home was quiet for everyone.
Speaker 3: And you know, I saw one of the ESPN shows are the big splash headline like who's the Who's that? Blame? Sean Payton or Russell Wilson, And I'm.
Speaker 7: Like everybody, Russell Wilson didn't play that.
Speaker 3: I was like, actually, I think Russ had his best game in a while. I mean, it is a problem that he's like one of the highest paid quarterbacks in the league and everything they gave up for him, and you're just hoping he's a better than Yeah, this is not about.
Speaker 5: Us, Harvey, just keep pointing the finger at Russell Wilson.
Speaker 1: What was that Russ let's go.
Speaker 3: Let's ride baby.
Speaker 1: All right, here we go.
Speaker 3: Oh, what's in the box?
Speaker 1: All right, this one?
Speaker 2: Actually I have the right to pass one, and I will pass it.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, you have the right to yes, the right when you make up the games, he can do whatever you want.
Speaker 6: Current biological status of Tank the dog, Well, where is Tank?
Speaker 7: Tank? I don't need to hear from Bridget right now. That's that's for certain.
Speaker 3: So Tank the dog again is the one that, Yes, if.
Speaker 6: You're not familiar, Tank is the one that attacked me on Day the dog.
Speaker 7: Of course, Bridget's worried about the dog.
Speaker 1: You I forgot about that.
Speaker 6: You know what, I will never Tank has left his mark on me forever, and these scars they will fade, but they will always be there. And I actually have no idea if Tank is alive or what is his current biological status.
Speaker 7: He's with Bridget, maybe you're.
Speaker 3: Your friend with his owner or former owner.
Speaker 7: It's John's family.
Speaker 3: So you haven't followed that conversation.
Speaker 6: I have not asked about Tank, and Tank has not asked about me, so we just keep it that way. It's I don't know if you've hung out with Italians, but you just if there's an issue, you just lock.
Speaker 3: It away, bottle it up.
Speaker 1: It's over there now.
Speaker 3: I mean, because if I'm you and I find out four years from now, oh yeah, you know, Barb, Barb and Joe aren't coming tonight, but they had to stay home. They didn't want to be awkward because you know, they're they're watching Tank who's still there. I'd feel I'd feel a little way about how how many many feels about this.
Speaker 1: Forgetting the whole story from Colleen, and it's her personal life.
Speaker 2: She doesn't need to share the whole story, right if she truly doesn't know what's going on, that's a diplomatic play.
Speaker 1: It's your husband's family. It's a tough spot.
Speaker 7: I'm bowing out.
Speaker 1: Yep, it's a toughie. It was a tough Christmas, it was. But I think, you know, yes.
Speaker 7: I don't. I actually have no idea.
Speaker 1: He gone would be good, that'd be good.
Speaker 3: No for you, not for you.
Speaker 2: Terrible situation. I don't know why Bridget seems to make light of it. She's a Roman unplugged that ring, you know.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's very unbringing.
Speaker 3: One of those AI women that just don't like other women in the room.
Speaker 1: Yes, right.
Speaker 2: Uh, you know what, as Taylor said, like we all can wear our crowns, all right, Bridget put that in their system.
Speaker 4: I mean, this is not as one related one that I pulled out of the box.
Speaker 5: Why am I getting these strange ones?
Speaker 4: I don't know race for the GOP nomination ahead of the twenty twenty four presidential election. Spin this positively. It is possible. God, it is possible that.
Speaker 1: It was a tough bull.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like the don't look up situation, It's possible that some sort of interstellar debris that you know that sounds small would actually be like the half the size of Earth lands directly on the United States of America and.
Speaker 5: We don't have to deal with any of it.
Speaker 4: I might not get there, like you don't have to deal with what seems like a very murky, unattractive Nettlesoen problem. We've led decent lives up to now, and then bang it's over and we're all in some sort of like cosmic dream land and we don't kind of a best case scenario, That's how I'd spin it positively, is like another like world event that would take place, right, we don't have to go through.
Speaker 3: All this as it's coming to the ground. No one's worried about, Like, how come we couldn't get the tenth guy on the stage. Well he didn't have enough you know, percentage votes.
Speaker 6: It's like, shut up, we got moderating one of those debates.
Speaker 2: How about how about a little overhauled the electoral college?
Speaker 3: Yeah, what feels about that? That one is overnew But there's insane.
Speaker 1: Pin in that. Let's save that for the government podcast. There's a lot in this box.
Speaker 3: Panthers are winless and own their first round pick this isle. Say that again, the Panthers are winless and they don't own their first round.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a pretty dark pick like this. Oh God, speaking of the Bears. By the way, there's a chance the Bears pick one too. Yeah, own that pick. So Adam Rank might be in the tank right now, Adam tank, but he'll be flying if they pick one too.
Speaker 1: Well, they just need other people to pick them.
Speaker 5: See what they do with it.
Speaker 3: Well there, Yeah, there's a chance that the top four picks could be Cardinals Bears because the Cardinals own The Texans pick sloppy. Now, the Texans, I think might be too good for that.
Speaker 1: CJ.
Speaker 3: Stroud won't let it happen, but it's a tough situation, classic tough. I think it's a it's something we're supposed to spend positive though.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, so looking at their schedule here, because.
Speaker 3: When Andy Dalton comes out there and I don't see a lot of wins, no, looks a lot better than your number one overall draftic and the number two overall draft pick is balling out. Like, none of that feels good. But this was always gonna take time, I guess, would be my answer to that, Like, there was not many scenarios where Bryce Young was going to play extremely well with this group of receivers. It was a two year process. They were in a rough start this entire regime. The confusing part, though, was part of the regime was there before Scott Fitter of the GM. And that's where it always gets murky. I always say, start your GM and coach together.
Speaker 2: Three yeah, three weeks before thereby home against Minnesota. No gimme in Minnesota is a you know, dead animal walking game.
Speaker 3: Sure, but another winless team.
Speaker 2: You got a chance, right, but a team that easily could be three and oh if they had last year's luck. So they're not helpless at Detroit, tough at Miami, good night nurse. So you gotta win this week. Gotta win it, Gotta find a way.
Speaker 4: I could spin it positive for Frank Reich. Not fun if you go winless. But the owner is still paying like seven more years of Matt Rule's contracts. So uh, probably tough to get fired, so you'd live to see another season.
Speaker 3: I worry about Frank right because it does feel like, first of all, he's lost a lot of games in a row. Just you think about how the way the Colts ended. Yeah, and he always used to have so much energy, and it does feel like the light is a little out right now that it's it's just.
Speaker 5: A little tough for Tim say that though, like we're not there, We're not I died this with Bruce arians.
Speaker 3: No no, no no, I just no, no no no. I don't mean. I just mean, like the hootspa, the energy, Like I think it's wearing on him.
Speaker 1: He's got a big job. It's losing he has a huge like.
Speaker 7: Not a young guy either wants to make it through the seasons.
Speaker 3: Like someone around the building. You know, it's like you're scheduled for like ten shows. Maybe you don't have as much energy for that ten show. Frankreik's been through a lot of these games now without a break. He could have used the break.
Speaker 7: Maybe he took a hydroxyzeen last night.
Speaker 1: Just don't take two.
Speaker 7: Oh my god, I can only take a half.
Speaker 3: Art is a tiny box box.
Speaker 7: Okay.
Speaker 6: Taylor Swift is literally too famous to find enduring love at the stage of her life. So I would say, I know I have to spin this positive, but I have to say first that I don't truly believe any of this. I don't believe that Travis and her are dating.
Speaker 5: I feel like Michael Gift, Michael Scott Gift.
Speaker 6: It's a complete pr move. I just it feels like too much all at once. So I'm onto you, Taylor, Uh, But like, I don't know, I have no idea. Imagine trying to have a normal relationship when you are Taylor Swift and you're going on these international tours and everyone everyone loves you and worships the ground you walk on. Then how do you pivot into a personal relationship with someone.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's it's uneven to begin with that he's a fan going to the show and giving her the bracelets that's starting the relationship, even though he's a cute, great person in his own right, it's just starting with an imbalance that eventually might be The.
Speaker 1: Balances are never good at all.
Speaker 4: What is her balance like doing like a like a more romantic, still living, younger Michael Jackson, Like what, No, but maybe someone that there's always an imbalance though, yeah, she always is, that's the point. But he can handle it though, Like if it's real, Okay, if it's real. It's like Travis Kelcey isn't sitting around pouting about the fact that she's more renowned than he is, Like she's like her, Yeah all right, but.
Speaker 7: I mean it's not a bash.
Speaker 4: She also, I would say, like having watched like documentaries about her and stuff like behind the scenes, she seems like pretty down to earth to me, seems very nice asking her in her own fame, thinking she's so much better than Travis.
Speaker 3: She did produce those documentaries. It's just I do love he's worth point.
Speaker 5: I mean, all right, but I love.
Speaker 6: When like sports, when sports bros. Though, when like entertainment veers into sports, or like when new kind of appears in and people are in a different lane. I kind of love that for like the announcers and everything else, this is fun.
Speaker 4: Do you think that Travis Kelsey's mom, though, like who cares about her son as a son, not a famous football player, right, and they're very tight, that she would unless it was like, this is so good for you and everyone else, like they're hanging out and like they were. It seemed that kind of seemed real to me a little bit, right. Do you think the mom would be like, I'm really cool with my son having a fake relationship.
Speaker 7: Unless she's in on it.
Speaker 5: I mean that's saying like.
Speaker 4: That so exciting for her too, just a little next level if the mom is just like, but but you know what we're dealing with, like alter famous individuals, So.
Speaker 1: That's so fun for the mom.
Speaker 2: For Donna, like she's sitting watching her son and yeah, the most famous person in the world is next to her like that with her.
Speaker 4: Like, I don't know, I kind of maybe there's this part of me that wants to believe that it can be real and that yet I see where coming from with them.
Speaker 7: Maybe I should be lesson.
Speaker 5: No, I don't think I.
Speaker 4: Think you it's a healthy cynicism is fair in this situation, this one kind of is a repeat of conversation we ended up having.
Speaker 2: But I got just in Fields official Jersey Owners NFL shop retail price one nine ninety nine.
Speaker 1: That's pretty big investment. That would be work.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't buy.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't hold on that purchase.
Speaker 3: Mac Jones, it's looking like the QB two in that draft glass. Kyle Shannon was right, it's depressing.
Speaker 1: Uh this one. I like this one, but maybe we'll save it for Thursday. Wow, I kind of get going here.
Speaker 5: Okay, Oh we could do some box entries to fans.
Speaker 7: Just reading the rest of what he wrote in the box.
Speaker 1: Here you go. This is for you, Kylie. Also what I gave you a go and you've had a couple of toughies.
Speaker 5: I got an election question.
Speaker 6: According to Pro Football Focus, Jalen Carter is the highest greatest interior defensive lineman, third highest graded defender overall.
Speaker 7: He looks so good.
Speaker 6: The Eagles losing Javon Hargrave felt like such a terrible thing because he played so well for them last season.
Speaker 7: And he goes to the forty.
Speaker 6: Nine ers who were already still could be stacked defense and yes, but Howie Rosevean goes out and is able to draft Jalen Carter and the way that he started his rookie season, he looks incredible.
Speaker 5: I think Dan nailed it on Sunday.
Speaker 4: Why how were we At what point did we stop letting the Eagles just do this to the rest of.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, just start copying that they do.
Speaker 5: Do it before them. You got to do it before they get the chance.
Speaker 3: It's also a position that usually takes a while to get going, and he only played like twenty something snaps, so like they're able to rotate him in. But he's playing at a level where he'll get considered for it's very early, but for the Pro Bowl and whatnot, which has a rookie defensive tackle just doesn't happen unless you're Aaron Donald.
Speaker 2: And it should be said because we get on Seattle and other teams that passed on Carter here, like he had some very real issues going on off the field, and they'll run up to the draft that you know, understandably, some teams were nervous about it and didn't know what it meant for the bigger picture of this prospect that they were bringing in.
Speaker 1: And we still don't. We don't know what Jamen I.
Speaker 3: Think they were more nervous that he was not putting all he could into the pre draft process because he seemed understandably affected by that.
Speaker 2: But also some bad decision making that led to the incident in which people died. It was like a really tragic situation. And then and see to bring up Seattle again here, but they've made kind of a killing on banking on guys that have had issues and taking chances, and the Eagles took a kind of a calculated risk and so far it's like the biggest move of the draft.
Speaker 5: Seems like up Seattle's like Avenue too.
Speaker 2: That's why everyone said he was going there. It was like it made so much sense.
Speaker 3: And they needed it.
Speaker 7: But they needed it makes Howie Roseman look great.
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 1: That was what was in the box. I enjoyed that. I think we're good, we have fun.
Speaker 2: Anything else, Colleen, I want to get a shout out slash plug in for Connie. What speaking of the media minute, Amazon's doing fine.
Speaker 1: I want Connie.
Speaker 2: I want Connie on Thursday Night football, Amazon. That's what I want. But I don't get that. But what you do get is Connie an NFL network. So halftime pregame but not half pre game host show.
Speaker 7: Uh huh. It's actually super fun.
Speaker 6: We have MJD on the show and Michael Robinson, and then on site we have Mike Garafolo and Steve Smith and their maniac what a gang, and we have a great time.
Speaker 7: It's a really fun. Hang.
Speaker 1: Did you hear the end of the Sunday show when I made Steve Smith laugh?
Speaker 7: And then I have not I have not finished the Sunday show yet.
Speaker 1: Just I just wheeled around Greg right behind me.
Speaker 7: Huh.
Speaker 1: Bang gave my thumbs up.
Speaker 4: You're certain to hear about it from Steve Smith the next time that you and he, I.
Speaker 1: Will ask you about it.
Speaker 7: I will ask him on Thursday.
Speaker 2: I had him rolling. All right, anything else, let's go. We'll be back Thursday. Get out of here with NFL Plus, new NFL plus production coming up. There's they also two pods, the preview app and the tn F recap.
Speaker 1: How about that. We're doing our job. Eat the call.