Speaker 1: Hey, guys, welcome to another episode of Eating While Broke. I'm your host, Coleen Wit and today we have a very special guest actor, you like, the actor Mike Merrill's in the building.
Speaker 2: What what up?
Speaker 1: Though, He's going all the way down to his roots forget that. What do they call it when you have the voice training again?
Speaker 2: Vocal vocal? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I thought it was like, what do they call it when you have to speak? Not etiquette? That's not it.
Speaker 2: That's not the word I'm looking No, no at all that you actually is, right?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Okay? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Etiquette etquette? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Right, So we got Mike Merrill in the building. What are you going to have me eating today?
Speaker 2: So we're going to be eating a omelet with spinach, ox corella, cheese and ions, and then on the side we're gonna have some turkey bacon.
Speaker 1: All right. So right now, guys, it is noon, so we can call this AKA brunch. This is a broke bunch.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, so you was when you was broke? Yeah, because back then you gotta think eggs one as much as it is. You know what I'm saying. Spinach, you can get that great value bag about two three dollars back there. Then the turkey bacon I got it was it wasn't as much back then as well onions, you know, that's like, yeah, that's not a dollar.
Speaker 1: Before we started shooting, you shared some other dishes that you used to really eat when you was broke. I'm definitely curious. Can you give me a fast snippet into that light.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I think the broken meal that I've had, it's broke as a word.
Speaker 1: It is, yeah, broke word brokes. It's not brocus.
Speaker 2: It's a word today, the broken meal. That's the Detroit of me. You always make a word. So yeah. The most struggling meal that I've had was it's too peanut butter and jelly crackers. Okay you never heard of that.
Speaker 1: No, but I say it is that the white crackers, you know, the white you gotta do the yeah, yeah, you know yeah.
Speaker 2: And the other one was bob Evans biscuits sandwiches, the breakfast sanwiches. Yeah, so it come in the box at Walmart. You know. Now, you I was standing in Atlanta at this point, and I was trying my best not to go back to Detroit, you know, so that it put me in a position where I had to live on my car, you know. But I'm like, I can't start over. I gotta keep pushing.
Speaker 1: And what city were you in? L A? You were in Atlanta and you were damn that ain't even that.
Speaker 2: Wasn't even the struggle, you know what I mean, like come here and okay, I get it here.
Speaker 1: Here, you're out here.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Affordable, Yeah, yeah, and you were struggling eating, but yeah, so what you go in a one where you were like, I got three dollars. What's the best I could do to manage just three dollars?
Speaker 2: So I used to get those breakfast sandwiches they already pre made and everything, and I knew it wasn't healthy, but I had to do what I had to do. I would get those sandwiches, go to sevent eleven, heat it up in the morning, and then go up to La Fitness and work out. That's why I take my showers and stuff like that. Yeah, I had it all planned out. What's crazy is when I.
Speaker 1: Was I love hearing this and then watching you on straw. Oh yeah, you know what I'm saying, Like, I love Straw. You was over there relating to the whole script.
Speaker 2: I was on my last straw. I'm for real, man, it was, it was, it was. It was a time, man. I got to say, I was most mentally free at that time that I've ever been in my life because I ain't have to worry about no bills or nothing like that. All I had to worry about was my car note at that time. And then you had a car, not I had a car, And it's crazy how I ended up getting that car. I had a car before that, and it didn't it didn't pass the mission. Since I'm like, come on, lord, you know I ain't got no money for another car. And I can't ground around here dirty because then they're gonna take it, you know what I'm saying. So I'm like, yo, I gotta do what I gotta do. I call my granny. I'm like, Granny, I need some help, and she just helped me with that car, and she like, what you need by mine? Need you to pray for me? And I'm like, I'm about to take my car in to get a note. And I hate notes. Like now I had a car. Not I had to get a car note, okay, but the car I had I didn't have a car. Note, my granny helped me with that car.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so did you call her the second time?
Speaker 2: Call her again? I needed my granny again. My granny is my angel.
Speaker 1: Clearly was like super Granny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, she did them super prayers too, and they were.
Speaker 1: Calling her for prayers or were you calling her for yeah yeah, hell yeah, okay okay. So yeah, well every time you had to make a movie, he was like yes.
Speaker 2: Okay, because I didn't. So the thing was, I didn't know how to pray. I didn't know how to pray. Even when she would tell me certain things to say, I still couldn't put my words together to just pray. Like, I didn't know how to talk to God. So I had to figure out a way to get in connection with God like I felt him. I just didn't know how to talk to him. I talked to him through my actions and I listened to him.
Speaker 1: How would you talk to him through your actions?
Speaker 2: I would just do what he says, or I would do something and then he was like uh uh. I was like all right, you know what I'm saying, Like you would do something and he'll send a sign like yeah, don't do that. Yeah, So we would speak. I had a connection. I always had a connection with God, and I would speak to him through actions, and I learned how to actually hear his voice through my granny. Man. My granny would tell me like certain things like he would do or not let happen for you to bide to you know, what he wants you to do, because he already have the steps ordered for you. Okay, yeah, yeah, So I had to follow in that path. And this is conscious feeling. I always tell people this is conscious feeling that I get this gut feeling in this God. And you know, he'll tell me, Hey, so none of that, that's good, that's good, that's that's just sick. That's just nervousness. But that's good. They'll go ahead. You can do that. You can do that. But yeah, man, car situation right back to that. So yeah, the car situation. I had to end up getting a car note. Man, So I only had to worry at that time when I was letting on my car, I only had to worry about my car note. In my phone bill.
Speaker 1: Okay, how much was it?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Like three hundred was it the least?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Did you have good credit?
Speaker 2: I did it to buy Damn? My credit was messed up.
Speaker 1: Your credit was hope, hopefully you refinanced after a year. I don't know how good your financial Oh.
Speaker 2: You own it.
Speaker 1: You do the seven year payment plan. I love Awes bought a car and I was like, so you bought it, how how long was the payment? She gets She gets really mad because I'm all about financial literacy and like you better not have gone over four years. She'd be like, I did the longest plan.
Speaker 2: I think I got that car in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 1: Okay, was it brand new?
Speaker 2: Now? I had like twenty three thousand miles on.
Speaker 1: That's basically Brandon, that's basically yeah.
Speaker 2: So they had like twenty three thousand miles on it, and I wish, I guess I could put it up here on Yeah, it had like twenty three thousand miles on it.
Speaker 1: And.
Speaker 2: I just knew that I needed it, so I had to do it. Yeah, you know, Carvana. Shout out to Carvana. They made it so easy, like, hey, you can pay what you want type of thing you want almost almost almost like they made it affordable. Ok. Yeah, they go based off of your and they get your prow and stuff like that. Yeah, and they helped me out at that time I was very great. Take good. Yeah, I'm gonna need another, like three more eggs.
Speaker 1: For you, three more eggs for me? You do it that much?
Speaker 2: I got, I got muscles to feed.
Speaker 1: Okay, hold up, I got this. We got eggs in here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got muscles to feed. This is recovery right here.
Speaker 1: Just just notice though these eggs are.
Speaker 2: White eggs, Guys, white brown eggs costs more, right, And that's what I eat. Now, by the grace of God, you said, yeah, two more for you? Do you do you eat? How? How do you? How do you eat? How?
Speaker 1: Full sized person? Like a full sized person that's like from New York, not l A.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you probably want three?
Speaker 1: No? Two?
Speaker 2: All right too?
Speaker 1: Sorry, I don't have muscles to feed.
Speaker 2: Everybody got muscles to feed.
Speaker 1: I got. I'm working on it though. Like after I have I'm gonna I'm gonna get into the gem and and start saying no to sugar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got to Sugar is the worst for the body. The worst, I'm telling you right now is the worst. It's the worst. It's that's that's what whole cancer and the body and stuff like that, that's what causes cancer, causes mucus. You know I eat accord it to my blood type.
Speaker 1: How'd you get that test done? Did you get it done?
Speaker 2: The Vitamin Lady in Atlanta, she is a herbalist. And that's my camera right all right, bet because I keep put that she's the Vitamin Lady in Atlanta. She will do a blood test. She will prick your finger and then put it on this chart. And you know, it got like four circles and it's like a b a b oh, and it'll it'll tell like whatever blood clocks like, it'll like whatever one showed up for the blood clocks. That's the one that you know what you can't eat, what your blood type is. And then she'll test. She'll give you this chart, this food chart. No, she'll give you a food chart to show you everything to stay away from, like to avoid and everything that benefits your body. And I need that lady, Yeah.
Speaker 1: And anything can we get it? Can we get?
Speaker 2: Well? I would say it's a worth the trip. It's worth a trip. It's worth the trip.
Speaker 1: So after you listen to what you can and can't eat, did you feel the difference immediately?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So, so what she do is she'll give you the rundown about your body, certain things that you would feel like, you know, like she would tell me, like, I'm I'm a positive so you would feel these like like little prickly things at the at the tip of my fingers. She said that anxiety and me being like nervous to things and stuff like that. I'm so a we operate as an artist. Oh yeah, so we have to look at things from an artist perspective and not as something that is a challenge, you know, because we look at it as a challenge that new emotions start going and you're like, oh, you can get in our own way. Yeah. So now I've learned to turn it into excitement and bring it down.
Speaker 1: Okay, So if you get if you get the little spidy senses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's it's so crazy. My mom is apositans she would feel the same. It's like, oh, that's where that comes from.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So now what calms me is Luther is one of my favorite Okay, Oh yeah, Luther Boy, I love you, Luth the boy tell you I'm a nineties baby Detroit, Detroit. Say you're gonna be in love with me? He was, I don't know, go ahead and singing still in love, Still in love?
Speaker 1: Okay, you want to sing a little bit that got that? Okay, So go ahead and just take me back to what exactly was going on. At least during the Spinach Omelet season.
Speaker 2: So this is when I had got my first got my apartment. So I was living in my car, like I told you, and I was doing than uber, right, And I would wake up in my car every day and do lifting Uber and cash out immediately to do my you know, because you have to pay application fees and stuff like that. So I was I was danging my credit.
Speaker 1: To you had to pay application fees for what the apartments for apartments, yeah, so I was going to apartment, apartment, apartment, you know credit.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I was just trying everywhere. Yeah. So it was just like dang in me, man, And I'm like, I had to pay these application fees to do the application possibly for them just to tell me no and.
Speaker 1: Stuff like that to get a roommate situation, you know what.
Speaker 2: They weren't doing that like that in Atlanta at least I didn't know. Yeah, And yeah, I just didn't really know anybody that was really doing that like now here for sure, Just so you.
Speaker 1: Know, I've never seen someone make an omeline like this before.
Speaker 2: No, I don't want you to a little wait.
Speaker 1: Look, I don't want I don't want you to question yourself. You can tell. He was like, wait, am I doing this wrong? It's been a while.
Speaker 2: I was tripping a little bit. But also I haven't clicked on that electric still in a while. So I turned it down.
Speaker 1: Lois, do you want me to tell you why? I thought maybe it was different, because I think, yeah, I think usually people make the egg part and then they add the stuff later.
Speaker 2: So see, that's crazy. I took it back to the back. Then I used to put the cheese in here already because I'm like, I don't want to just in the inside. I went all around.
Speaker 1: Okay, I've never seen it. I'm excited.
Speaker 2: So that's that's where I went with it. That's wow, Okay, I usually wait.
Speaker 1: Oh you know what, dang, I forgot to record this part. Boom, Okay, we lie. I don't remember where we left off, all right, so you just for your listeners. He sees in the egg and a bowl, whipped it up with some monster added to it, a little thrown off because usually I see people do the egg directly into the pan and then add the ingredients. I'm not a huge omelet person, so I'm hoping I learned something here and I like it and I love spinach, so I need.
Speaker 2: That on deck. Okay, I'm gonna take this too. Okay, boom.
Speaker 1: But we were at part You got really excited because I guess you're making an old school classic omelet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because that's the way I used to do it. So it kind of took me back. See I'm still connected to.
Speaker 1: Exactly. That's good. So you're your apartment hunting, you're uber and lifting. Yeah, I'm guessing at some point someone accepts this application.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So yeah, it was Riverside. It was a Riverside Parkway apartments.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, you're really giving all these brands all is love? Okay, Yeah, I guess they looked out for you.
Speaker 2: They did. It got me off the street, you know.
Speaker 1: They were like, where do you currently live? You're like in my car.
Speaker 2: I ain't tell them none of that.
Speaker 1: What'd you tell them?
Speaker 2: I ain't telling them. No, I'm just trying to get an apartment.
Speaker 1: Because don't you have to put like your address and stuff for them to respond?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they looked out my mom put put her name down for me, so I have my ways, you know, but yeah, they approved me. I was paying like seven something a month. You hear that. That's good, great, seven something a month. Come on, now, okay, where are you paying that at?
Speaker 1: Nowhere? And you're and you're still ubering and lifting, but you know, you know one hundred percent you're going into acting at this time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, So I hadn't booked my first one yet. When I got the apartment, the light's on it. I ain't have enough to have the lights on yet, you know what I'm saying. So I had to thug it out a little bit. The air mattress.
Speaker 1: Okay, but how are you light an apartment at night? Were you like, it doesn't matter I'm ubering at night or something?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, you know I was working, so.
Speaker 1: Oh but I'm saying, what did you use in place of light? Flashlights?
Speaker 2: Wells and stuff like that. So then my mom helped me. She didn't even know she helped me, but she helped me with some bread, and on top of that, I had the money from lifting ruber.
Speaker 1: So how does she not know she helped you?
Speaker 2: Because I didn't want her to know everything that's going on, because my mama is like or protective mom, and she'll come in, well, Mike, how are you gonna how are you gonna do? You know what I'm saying? So what about your builds and this and that? And I'm like, I don't want her to panic and have to you know, think that she I'm good, Ma.
Speaker 1: So how did she end up lending you money without knowing that something was going on?
Speaker 3: I wasn't telling her I need some money. I just needed to look out for me, okay, because she can get nosed. My mom can get nosy. Okay, yeah, she can get nosy. So I didn't want her to know everything.
Speaker 1: She was like, Mom, can you shoot me two hundred today?
Speaker 2: That right was near that Friday? And I'm like, you know, if you can tell me something, then you know, look out for me.
Speaker 1: Okay. But he and she did it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, my mama could do She would do anything she can for me. Are you no. I'm a middle child, so my mom actually on my mom's side, it is me and my brother. I'm the oldest, and then my dad's side is my sister. We had I had two sisters, one passed away and then she's older than us. Okay, so that makes me the middle okay, okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then your parents still married.
Speaker 2: No, no, well, my my dad is currently still in prison. He's been in prison since ninety nine, you know, and it's like one of my my missions to get him out or whatever.
Speaker 1: And was it like a wrong full conviction type thing, KNDA, cause you said your mission to get him out. So it just makes me feel like, you know, the justice system could have possibly did something wrong or am.
Speaker 2: I Well no, he he you know, he did his crime. But you know, it's been twenty five years now, jeez, that's a long time. It's ninety nine nine, twenty years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is longer than that. It's like twenty six years.
Speaker 2: Twenty six years. So it's you know, it's time. You know, I want to get my dad out. I want to spend my life with him. Now I'm feeling like I'm getting to a point where you know, I can get that have that type of leverage to get him out. Yeah, you know, possibly. Yeah, I'll just pray on it.
Speaker 1: But do you do you visit him? Like how often are you talking to him? Like how active is he in your lifetime? Yesterday Okay, so you talk like on the regular every day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we talk in the regular. We talk almost every week now. Sometimes we take you know, free breaks and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Is your mom still committed to that?
Speaker 2: No? Okay, no, so yeah, no, no.
Speaker 1: No, but she encourages the relationship.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah for sure.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool.
Speaker 2: Sure they're like best budd still.
Speaker 1: You know there's still best budds.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, they have a good relationship, all right.
Speaker 1: So but basically you're brought up with single parent household.
Speaker 2: Yep, single mom. Okay, like straw.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know when you read the script from the movie, were you did you see relatability in it?
Speaker 2: You want to know what's crazy? I wasn't even thinking like that. I didn't even think like that until actually seen it. Like yeah, because I was thinking for work purposes at that time when I was reading the script and stuff, because I'm on the law enforcement side, So I wasn't thinking like that. But when I actually watched the movie, I'm like, oh, it's gonna touch a lot.
Speaker 1: Of I couldn't wait for it. I ain't gonna lie. I was count on the days for that movie to drop. I was like, single mom, Yes, how was the hardest job in the world. I don't think I would they did more you know stuff around it. But yeah, I thought that movie was incredible and for everyone that hasn't seen at the ending on that movie was literally like what the freak? There was one part though, I was thinking in the shower. Yes, I do all my thinking in the shower. It's really weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, no, no, wait did you hear No?
Speaker 1: No, I swear to God that.
Speaker 2: Every look I decompressed in the shower, I let it run on my neck and I just I just sit there, just like this, bro, and I let I let I think through the day. I pray in the shower. I think about my sister in the shower. Why, you know, loved ones and stuff. I don't know why my most vulnerable space in the shower. Yes, I don't.
Speaker 1: I've never met anyone that didn't. I don't. Usually don't even tell people because I think they probably kind of weird. I do all my thinking, processing thoughts, everything goes through the shower. No other place gets my mind going in the shower. But I was thinking about this one scene in straw There was a scene we'll circle back, but there was one scene that didn't fit in the movie where I was like, hm, why did they leave that. I'm trying to think I'll circle back to it, but I remember, I'll probably later take a show like this is the scene I was talking about. But there was one scene in the movie where I remember going, wait a minute, that scene didn't make it. Oh the scene where Taraji is in the school and some of they take the kid, which I kind of got like, you know, kid, where her head was at in the end, not trying to destroy the movie because I'm not going to destroy it for y'all, but the lady hands are a card. Remember she stressed out in the school. Lady hands are a card and says call me and they take the kid. I mean, there was parts that I thought later like, of course the kid. They must have known the kid had passed. I don't want to destroy it. I'm destroying it. There was that one seam where I was like, okay, but then I thought later like there was no one contacted said where is the kid during the whole thing, And I was like, oh that you all must have known in the police department from jump that the.
Speaker 2: Baby had passed, right They all, yeah.
Speaker 1: So, but when did the bank teller know the bank the bank manager. No, I'm ruining, poor Katie, Katie, ignore your ignore essus sitting here recording the whole thing. Check it sound. I'm not going to spoil it for her. But yeah, there was that one scene that I was a little confused about because in the school they gave her the card and I was like, hmm, mental health. But then when they did the playback, they didn't have the lady in the hallway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no they didn't.
Speaker 1: They had the school principal in the hallway. I got photographics and my photographics. Maybe are you are you messing with me right now?
Speaker 2: I can't tell that.
Speaker 1: I'm like, you should know, you tell me, Okay, okay, okay, But yeah, I thought that movie was incredible. I think everybody y'all did your thing. Y'all did y'all thing.
Speaker 2: Man, that thing. I'm so I am on cloud now with this thing right now. I want to.
Speaker 1: I want to, I want to. I want to, so just so you know, I know we're getting all over the place. You're very fun to hang out with. I don't know if it's like the destroying you. You're very very fun.
Speaker 2: Is genuine and authentic energy.
Speaker 1: Exactly the thing I wanted to. I want to end at Tyler, at Tyler Perry, So I need to I want to. I don't. I don't at Straw, I don't. I want to get all the in between without skipping to it. But I want to spend some time on Straw. But I want to know. Okay, your mom lends you this money, you're thugging it out, you're acting, what are you doing?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, so we was there before that moment. Actually I have So I have booked my first TV.
Speaker 1: Regular, first TV appearance, TV Parents are Regular, Okay.
Speaker 2: From my first booking. Yeah yeah, so I had booked the Bobby Brown Story, Okay, Okay, And man, when I tell you, I was going to set every day even if I didn't have to work, going to say every day and eat hilarious. That's that's that's during it yep. Okay, yeah, okay. I was still because I'm like, now I can get ahead. You see what I'm saying, because I booked it. So now I'm gonna have that money coming in. I'm doing this to get this.
Speaker 1: All for that money to get to you.
Speaker 2: It was like three weeks I think, like three weeks and then from then on I was like, yo, I got to stay on top of it.
Speaker 1: Now, did you? You saved you? You at that point you're financially literate, kind of like right a little.
Speaker 2: Bit, yeah, I want I want.
Speaker 1: Too bad yourself.
Speaker 2: I was pacing myself. Yeah. One thing I know how to do is budget. My mama taught me very well out to budget.
Speaker 1: Good. I like that.
Speaker 2: I love that coming from a place of poverty. Who you know how the budget?
Speaker 1: Maybe what part of Detroit are you from? Can you wrap your Detroit?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Frank Fred the East line on the east side of Detroit. Okay, but yes, And for the people that don't know exactly where that is is like like by warning charmers. So when I say warming and charmers and they're aware of Detroit, then they know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay? And then at what at what point we're gonna backcheck a little bit. At what point did you realize that you had to do acting to the point where you're gonna be homeless in Atlanta?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Man, this is this is is great? This is great? What's crazy? Ist? So the first time I wanted to try to act was So I seen Freshmans Bell there. That was one of my favorite TV shows back then, right, So huh, who didn't love that show? Oh, that was one of my favorite shows. So I was watching the episode where his dad didn't want him right and and you know, I just told you about my dad. So that was the first time I had cried from TV. Oh okay, that was my first time. Look at that.
Speaker 1: That looks great. That looks magical.
Speaker 2: Come on, now, get your man that can cook exactly.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you something. Men out there that is a man that can cook or like do his own laundry, And I like when a man was raised with a mom that was like, you still got to learn these like traits because if you have a family, you're gonna need to fill in.
Speaker 2: You still need to know how to cook. Now, yeah, that's just like.
Speaker 1: You got silent on the laundry part. Though I do my own laundry too, Okay.
Speaker 2: I'm good with that. I actually don't even use dragon sheets. I used wool wool balls. Wool balls. Put wool balls and you can get on Amazon. You gotta so you get this on Amazon and you can put like essential oils in it. Do it in there. With your clothes, clothes. You never have to buy dry sheets again. Boom, it's gonna take all the static and everything out your clothes, and your clothes can be found like peppermint oil or something like that.
Speaker 1: No way, yeah here first heard it.
Speaker 2: Here heard your mama. No, I want to thank me like like.
Speaker 1: That's like my favorite speech of all time. Yeah, okay, all right, all right, yeah I want mine made exactly like yours, though, like with a little monzarella and everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wanna do it. We're gonna do it.
Speaker 1: The struggle with way okay, So sorry to derail. When did you so you're you're crying during the Fresh principal air episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it touched me, you know, because I'm not going through exactly what he's going through.
Speaker 1: But you missed your dad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, made me think about my dad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't. You're gonna pad it dry or whatever.
Speaker 2: Avocado oil.
Speaker 1: So that's okay, Okay, why didn't test my blood type?
Speaker 2: You know? Yeah it's okay, you cat that smells good. You know.
Speaker 1: I forgot to stop the camera, but it's okay. The little overhead.
Speaker 2: Can Yeah, we're good. We gotta make yours too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did Stoppers is still.
Speaker 2: Still yes, you're still going, We're good.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, I seen that episode and it touched me, you know. So I'm like I was crying or whatnot. And it's so crazy. My mama sometimes don't even remembering that. She she and she was talking. She was like, you know, it's not real. They acting, Mike. It was so crazy. It's certain things that like.
Speaker 1: Why are you going so far away? Why are you going?
Speaker 2: The season right here? So like, yeah, where are you going?
Speaker 1: Did I say something about the person?
Speaker 2: Nah? Good?
Speaker 1: So so she's trying to convince you, like baby, it's okay.
Speaker 2: She's like, well no, she was just letting me know, like, you know, it's not real and it's you know, it's just acting or whatever. And to me, like me, I'm crying alone. I'm crying in my room about it. You know. It just made me think about my dad and I'm just like, yeah, I miss my dad and I feel you will you know what I'm saying. Because he hit he hit that one moment. He's like yeah, man, oh.
Speaker 1: That was terrible. Oh I love that you you just acted it out though, just now too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: So I'm like, all right, I want to take a shot at.
Speaker 1: Acting from that point on. How old were you?
Speaker 2: I was, I was twenty two, twenty three.
Speaker 1: Why did I think you were like twelve doing this? You were twenty you were okay, okay.
Speaker 2: Twenty two to twenty three, And I'm like, all right, let's try to take a shot at this. You know, everybody always say, hey, you have a great smile, You're going to be a model one day or guys, And I'm like, all right, well, it's fine, thank you.
Speaker 1: I'm very ship that I love me instead of teens. Know, if people are like, yo, I met this guy like I was his teeth.
Speaker 2: Like, so yeah, I'm like, well, and that's something I always was in the back of my mind too, Like, you know, people tell me all the time I have a great smile and stuff. I'm and I have nothing to use it for, but just the smiler people make their day. That's a good thing, right. But yeah, I mean, yeah, of course. But I was just to be thinking about how going to capitalize off this? Yeah, So then.
Speaker 1: Were you toying with any other ideas in the back of your head where you starting to wonder, like, hey, what it is? What am I going to be? Is that kind of what also sprought it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I definitely went through that realm trying to see what I want to do with my life. But yeah, and you told people?
Speaker 1: Did you tell people right away? Did you tell your mom? Who did you tell about? Like, Hey, I think this is what I want to do.
Speaker 2: Oh well no, I just hit the ground right. I'm just trying to do it by myself.
Speaker 1: You know, ye're twenty three. But now you're in Detroit trying to do it right. You know, you had to leave.
Speaker 2: So that's the thing. Detroit have a lot of scams. Detroit have a lot of scams out there. It's no real agency in Detroit. It's no real agency in Detroit. They will, boy, they will take your money. You don't supposed to pay an agent to get your jobs. You're supposed to get jobs. I mean, they supposed to work for you.
Speaker 1: And then they take a commission. Yeah, so you was paying them up front.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we was paying them up front for extra extra work. Bro. It was so crazy. It was so crazy.
Speaker 1: Every time you showed up, they was like, look at him. Here he go handing us his money.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. We're doing monologues and stuff in front of them for no reason.
Speaker 1: That's funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I got discouraged because it was like costing too much, hundreds of dollars. I ain't got.
Speaker 1: Stuff like that, and you're doing the extra work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were just like sign up for eestion work and I'm like, Yo, this ain't ain't it you know, so I'll just forget it. I got discouraged and stop. So then my mom she used to look out for a friend, you know, her friend Jay McClain and Detroit used to tell her, Hey, to keep you this play for me, and my mom would do a favor, just do it out of the love, you know. She didn't want to take it serious and nothing. She's like, yeah, I do it? Why not? So then I was studying with her.
Speaker 1: Every night, right with your mom?
Speaker 2: Okay, I was studying with her every night.
Speaker 1: Before we get into how great your mom's performances, we gotta eat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so this is great.
Speaker 1: We're gonna pray. I like that.
Speaker 2: Okay, God, thank you for this fool we'd rather receive. Let it be nurishment to her body and images as we pray. Amen, there we go. Now you don't touch that.
Speaker 1: I want to.
Speaker 2: I want to try it that prayer.
Speaker 1: I want to see the middle. Okay, looks good. You know, look at that, guys, I feel bad for yours because mine has like the beautiful stretchy cheek, and I feel like yours was sitting.
Speaker 2: No, we're good. It's gonna be good regardless.
Speaker 1: Okay, look at his confidence. Are you hungry? That's the question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so I do minds like this sometimes too. I don't know why. It's like, you know, you come in and you just you able to just you know, take a piece and bite into it. I don't know. So I'm wanted them people. I have to have my food prepared before I actually eat.
Speaker 1: What do you mean prepared?
Speaker 2: Like ad you little my stuff and all of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you didn't even try to see what if your seasoning was perfect?
Speaker 2: Well, I already know it is. I've been I've been down and through that.
Speaker 1: Alright, I'm gonna rate this just so you know, a part of me feels like because you add the mansa like like a feta or some different type of cheese. But I don't know why you chose man.
Speaker 2: Then I used to do my mozarella.
Speaker 1: Oh back then, So what's upgraded. Since then, what do you usually put?
Speaker 2: I do vegan cheese. I don't even do cheese at all.
Speaker 1: Oh, oh, so you're really cheating today, I'm really cheating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm doing it for you.
Speaker 1: Okay, them, you put it on your whole thing? Wait? How does yours look so perfect?
Speaker 2: And mine looks like a five year old prepit prep it? But I have a perfection.
Speaker 1: I don't want to watch my Wait, y'all don't because mine looks like a little.
Speaker 2: Kyd first bite. You see how that looks?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you see what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you cut your it's perfectly Okay, I'm trying to get a good piece right here middle mm.
Speaker 2: Hmmm mm hmm mm hmmm mm hmmm mmm mm hmm.
Speaker 1: I get the onions.
Speaker 2: Now you see the onions.
Speaker 1: I got the onions.
Speaker 2: Now you see what I'm talking about?
Speaker 1: All right, I see it.
Speaker 2: You know you don't cook the you don't burn them.
Speaker 1: You want to know something that I did not get the onions before. I totally get it in the mozzarella. Really great.
Speaker 2: Really, hey, let them know, let them know I'm like that for real.
Speaker 1: You don't even need the sauce on this.
Speaker 2: Really it's just an addition.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you something. You killed this omelet. I absolutely love it. Great job you're feeling yourself right now.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: I would buy this.
Speaker 2: Now, that's what I'm talking about. Yo. You know what. I hate taking bacon on my hands. Hmmm, I hate taking bacon on my hands.
Speaker 1: You should, you know what. I'm thoroughly impressed with this omelet. Like I think I'm gonna start making omelets after this. So you know what, you gotta do it the way he did it, with the mozarella cheese mixed into the act and he's take the spinach on.
Speaker 2: The side because it's not a whole. It's not like a whole glob that just hit you. You know, it's mixed in there already, so you know it's the taste and flavor is already marinated in it.
Speaker 1: Do you usually use a white onion?
Speaker 2: Red onion? Now?
Speaker 1: Why is thatson? I just like red onions, you know this white onion? Yeah, it tastes great though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're more sweeter the white white well not the yellow onions.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, but why did you choose in the red one? Now?
Speaker 2: It's a it's a better it has more benefits. I can't think of it right now.
Speaker 1: You in this health conscious man.
Speaker 2: Oh no, it has more benefits eating the red onon. I can't remember right now, but at the time out of can't recommend ten out of ten.
Speaker 1: If you call me tomorrow for this week, you'll be like, how many times did you have a much? Would be like probably four different times. You know, when a dish is this good, I will go home and totally emulate it. And you don't need the sauce on this one. That's how good you did seasoning.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Have y'all heard that everything texture, from the onions to the spinach, to the mozarella to the seasoning. You killed it. Don't need sauce some so also it was good, but you didn't need it.
Speaker 2: I know this nice edition.
Speaker 1: You know you did a really great job. Okay, so take your last bite because I'm gonna start asking you about this. Mama's acting.
Speaker 2: All right, it was good, bro, I.
Speaker 1: Did not know you cooked like that, you know, but I'm gonna go home emulate, take all credit like you never existed. That's the way you gotta do it.
Speaker 2: This is actually my first meal, so that's why I'm like, you was.
Speaker 1: Like, let's get there. I'm hungry.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I'm gonna eat there.
Speaker 1: What were you thinking when they were like, hey you need to you know, do you want to do this show eating while broke where you come in and cook where you're like, oh, I'm about to be the shift.
Speaker 2: I'm open I'm open book. I'm open book.
Speaker 1: But were you excited cooking?
Speaker 2: I thought you was gonna cook with me? Oh? Yeah, you know how they usually like cook with him?
Speaker 1: What don't mean like you'd be like showing on the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like you showed me or something like that.
Speaker 1: You know what. Yeah? No, you know, I'm not good at multitasking. Like if you sent me a text and you were having a conversation, if someone was having a conversation, I'd be like, hold on, I can't do both. I'm like one focus. That's it.
Speaker 2: Let's see. I got you.
Speaker 1: Okay, So go ahead down this turkey baking. He's hungry, guys, We're gonna give him a second.
Speaker 2: Katie will edit this part last.
Speaker 1: I'm only saving mine for pictures because I know he's starving and he's gonna need to take some pictures later. Okay, So going to your mommy's monologue. She kills it as an actress.
Speaker 2: I was so inspired she she killed that monologue and she did it totally different than when we rehearsed.
Speaker 1: So I was just like, I haven't memorized too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was listening to her, so it was like, you know, I knew the monologue too, but.
Speaker 1: I love that you guys had this moment together too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, and this is.
Speaker 1: This is while you're pursuing acting, she.
Speaker 2: Gets this No, no, I remember I quit.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I didn't have that part. You quit after all the run around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I had got discouraged and I'm like, yeah, I'm not doing this no more. It's just too much. I've seen her in the stage play. I asked her her director right after, I mean, you know, the person over it. Right after the stage play was over, I said, can I be in your next stage play? And she was like yeah, And from there on I just didn't stop.
Speaker 1: Do you look at how God worked though that kind of and your mom steps up for this role that she doesn't even really want.
Speaker 2: She's just like, yeah, she's just doing it for fun. You know.
Speaker 1: Now, did that also spark anything in her to be like I kind of want to do this or no.
Speaker 2: She was like, hell, she got her corporate job, you know, working for the other state. It's like, I'm good with that, okay. Yeah, but me, I kind of I took a liking to it after that first one. I'm like, I see how the crowd respond, and I'm like.
Speaker 1: I love this type of energy.
Speaker 2: Like this, then you can open up to the crowd while you're doing your you know, if you like know your lines and stuff, you can like talk to the crowd a little bit, you know, with you know, in the midst of the story. But yeah, I had book my first le role in the stage play.
Speaker 1: Right after that, okay, and.
Speaker 2: It was the love that I received. I'm like, I gotta keep going.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: So and Detroit, you know, everybody box themselves in Detroit?
Speaker 1: What does that mean?
Speaker 2: So, like now it's a it's a lot of actors and Detroit that are two B stars and they do a lot of two B movies and stuff like that. But they don't have agents.
Speaker 1: They don't have so there's really no agents over there. No, Because when you said that, I was like, that's a bold statement. Okay, So there's no agents.
Speaker 2: There's no agents nothing like that over there, and they all do two B movies and stuff. So the thing is that they wanted to really take it serious. You have to go outside of Detroit, Chicago, Atlanta, New York, LA. You this, and yeah. I peeked it early, very early, and I'm like, I feel like I'm starting to get boxed in and I don't want most in the stage plays. I'm like, Okay, this is a pattern, this is a cycle. I don't want to get called in the cycle. Let me do a networking trip Atlanta networking?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what is the what? How? What is that even encompassed?
Speaker 2: I visited these cities to see how you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you you labeled it a networking trip.
Speaker 2: Yep, okay, Atlanta, New York, Chicago.
Speaker 1: Okay, you went to all these cities. Yeah, how are you paying for it?
Speaker 2: I was just paying for whatever I had at the time. What the jobs?
Speaker 1: Are you working?
Speaker 2: Jobs? Or I was actually going with this modeling group. Okay, yeah, yeah, I was going with the modeling group, and I would just branch off and do my own thing when we're not doing like shows and stuff. Atlanta was the most responsive, so I'm like, I'm moving to Atlanta.
Speaker 1: Okay, after you did, yeah.
Speaker 2: The networking trip. So I'm like, yeah, I'm moving to Atlanta.
Speaker 1: Atlanta feels you told your mom you were doing you were going to these cities to like check them out.
Speaker 2: Well, like I said, I was with modeling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's how you were able. So you were leveraging it. So I got it, got it.
Speaker 2: Ye.
Speaker 1: So you're you're doing this and then you call back home and you say or you go back home and you're like, okay, Atlanta is it?
Speaker 2: Yep? That's just like how I did move in here.
Speaker 1: Okay, uh huh.
Speaker 2: So I had moved to Atlanta, and I know I needed some money to you know, because I ain't gonna get a job right away. So I did this show called Last Squad Standing on Oxygen Network and as a game show, you know, three cities that comes and you know, they do mental and physical challenges for one hundred thousand dollars. And while I was there, I was getting paid, you know, and I was there for like two months, made it all the way to the end. I actually won. I don't care. I actually won.
Speaker 1: You won?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And they didn't it ain't they didn't give it to me. Wait, yeah, they didn't They didn't give me one hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Was it a pilot? Well, how did they not give you one hundred thousand?
Speaker 2: Well, you sign things that say if yes, it's not fair.
Speaker 1: If you you signed, yeah, you signed something you.
Speaker 2: Say if this is not fair, you can't do anything.
Speaker 1: That's like in the that's.
Speaker 2: In the contract. Yeah, I mean the game show and all that stuff is done. Now Oxygen is all about reenacting shows and stuff now matter.
Speaker 1: So, but you you won. They didn't get the money.
Speaker 2: And they gave it to the other team. Yeah, they made the other team seem like they won, but everybody on the show knew that I won.
Speaker 1: Wait, what like re edited and everything?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they re edited. It's just like certain parts of certain times you will be talking and you're saying one thing, they'll take another part of another moment that you had and and piece it together. Damn, Like that was that's what you were saying. Ain't it crazy? That's how the reality shows and stuff goes after that, say that like, yeah, it's just crazy. I want I want to look my last quad. Then la standing Okay, yeah, so I did that to generate money so I was able to Sorry, about that. I was able to you know, maneuver and network and stuff like that. After I was done with that, I had booked my first web series, which was a Sidekick side Chick web series and Who's that as macarthy McCarthy Yeah, and ended up being popular. So that was my first booking. And then I'm like, all right, I need to give me an agent.
Speaker 1: I was about to ask, so when do you start getting an age?
Speaker 2: I started searching around for an agent as soon as I got back.
Speaker 1: And what does that entail? You're cold calling or sit again? What does it entail when you're searching for an agent?
Speaker 2: So you go to like networking events and stuff like that, and you kind of like, you know, workshops, and you kind of get the logist of how everything goes because sometimes you'll see like casting directors, agents and stuff that shows up and I'm like, okay. So I had started going to those type of events to reach out. And then also I was just googling agents agencies and I had got my first agency, so not with that one, but I got with another agency after that, and that's how I got my first booking, which was Bobby Brown's story.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a huge deal. Yeah, and you're telling your mom you keep who's this person that you're keeping updates and on the regular with all.
Speaker 2: These god my mom? Well god yeah?
Speaker 1: Is it only in case emergency?
Speaker 2: Yeah? My granny, my mom? Those are my two hearts.
Speaker 1: They're like on your text religious Okay, got it. Yeah, So you're booking this, you end up booking a serious regular. Is everything consistent?
Speaker 2: Well, it wasn't serious regular, No, but later.
Speaker 1: On you do book a serious regular, don't you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, while you're booking. Now, I'm going to fast track you during this period where you're booking. Is there any gaps or is there any bit of an anxiety of whether you will book another?
Speaker 2: I never had the more. I used to watch people and what they go through, and I was just I never made myself worried. I told myself that, well, God told me this, when you do it, when you go on this journey, don't worry, just do it, take risks, have that faith and just take that step, you know. So I tried my best not to worry about anything. I didn't connect. No, I didn't marry, like auditions and stuff like that, because when you do that, you put your your mind fuck yourself, you know what I'm saying, and that you can you can fall in a rabbit hole, okay. And I didn't want to do that because that's how you get depressed. And you know, I just didn't want to do that to myself because I used to watch other actors that used to do that and used to get pissed off and really yeah, very irritated and intimidated of other people and comparing themselves to it's like a rabbit hole and it's like, you know, it's a tornado full of this discouragement. And I didn't want to do that to myself. I don't want to chew myself better than that. So I'm like, God, got me, you know what I'm saying. If I don't get something, that just means that it ain't for me.
Speaker 1: Got it?
Speaker 2: And I literally every every time I do an audition or anything like that, if I didn't book it, it wasn't for me, oh okay, Or if things doesn't happen a way that I want them to. It's just like when my team, my managers, my team will tell y'all, I don't worry about nothing, or if something work, they no but else inacceptable. It could that shouldn't have been that way. I'm super school, you know, so you know that's how I am.
Speaker 1: I would be the person on the other end of the call like what they did? What we gotta address this?
Speaker 2: Right? Yeah? No, I'll be like, you know, oh yeah that was crazy. Yeah, that was crazy. I mean, but you know it's whatever, Okay.
Speaker 1: I like that. I like that attitude though. Yeah, but now what period was a gap that was like most notable to you? In between bookings?
Speaker 2: So I get a gap every year, really all actors do. I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 1: How long is the gap?
Speaker 2: It buries?
Speaker 1: Okay, but what was the longest one?
Speaker 2: That? Ten months?
Speaker 1: Ten months? And then at this point your financial literacy budget? Ye, you're mad? Now, like this is your budget? You don't go over it?
Speaker 2: Now, I know how to you know cap? I have a cap and I'm like, no, I know, this is everything that I have to This is the amount I have to pay for the whole year for rent, This is the amount I have to pay the whole year for my phone bill, you know, so forth, So I know how much I have to have to be able to survive.
Speaker 1: You know, Now, do you put yourself on payroll or like do you have a corporation and you put yourself on payroll. I tell everybody to do that. By the way, you can leverage more that way.
Speaker 2: Especially because her taxes come. Oh boy, we'll win, win and win a chicken dinner. So you're like an escort escort.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, you know your stuff.
Speaker 2: And that's the thing too. I learned that the business behind acting before actually wanted to book and how because no, how did I do it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So I would just literally be asking people like how does this work?
Speaker 1: How does that work?
Speaker 2: You know, and and and you know, going through this journey, I always wanted I was focusing on the money. So I was wanting to make sure I'm not getting played because you know.
Speaker 1: Well you also went through a little bit of trauma with Detroit, right because you got played. Oh yeah, so do you think that kind.
Speaker 2: Of Yeah, we just don't play about money any trait. Yeah, hey, they know, we just don't play about our money in the tray. So that's that. And I think the trait for that, because I think the trait, I think de trait for a lot of a lot of how I am it built the tough skin that I needed for this industry and built the I don't give a you know what I'm saying mentality, It built the the like if we don't know anything, we know numbers. That's that's us in the trade. If we don't know anything, we know numbers and we know what so much playing with us. Don't play with us, don't play with our money. You see what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be so you know, yeah, don't with us.
Speaker 2: Don't play with our money. We don't play about that, and we don't play about our loved ones. So yeah, so I wanted to know how how is my coins going to go? You know? So even like how I learned the system in Atlanta. Oh, y'all give the crumbs to Atlanta actors? Okay, cool? What they going? They got going over there in LA. But they got going to New York. Okay, that was where the big bucks are.
Speaker 1: It's crazy that you say that they give the crumbs to the Atlanta actors for sure, when now see we're Incent closer. Tyler Perry's there, and Tyler Perry's known for paying He came in.
Speaker 2: And changed the game when I was there, he he.
Speaker 1: He was he there yet?
Speaker 2: Or no, what's Tyler there? Yet. Yeah. Absolutely, but I didn't know about it at that time, you know what I'm saying, And it's now more than noticeable than any thing now because he built like he got. He made so many millionaires. Yeah damn yeah, he made people millionaires and I know I'm next.
Speaker 1: I would love to be in that squad. I was telling my crew, go to be to get in that circle. Good for life almost right.
Speaker 2: Honestly, that's the man that if he give you his word, okay, I like that, he's gonna stand on it ten tolls down and you're probably gonna get more than what you expected. That's how he is. That man is a very genuine and authentic guy like everybody. It's some people that be like scared of him or intimidated because he's a billionaire and stuff like that. Yeah, that man is a huge teddy bear. You heard I said, Tyler, He's a huge teddy bear. But he wanted to be treated like a human, like, you know, forget my money and what all this this power and the stuff that you think I have and all of that. That man is still humble. Okay, I like that, Like he'll be like, man, do you see this, Like look at this bro, like, I don't take this for granted, Like this, I just thank God so much because just years ago I was homeless. That's how he talked, like, look, I'm bro like shout.
Speaker 1: Out by the way, email Tyler, Hey, we shout our shot. But I think his team sent me back an email like not, I think this scheduling. We should try again. We should try again.
Speaker 2: He got a lot going one billionaire.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, we'd probably have to go to Atlanta to do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, facts, yeah.
Speaker 1: But okay, but at the time, you decide to leave Atlanta because you're starting to realize Atlanta actors actresses aren't getting their respect as far as dollars. So you go to LA.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I didn't like the cycle of what I was getting paid. I'm like, yo, first of all these roles and enough, I need you more and the money and enough anymore. And then I was asking out the actress that was coming from Lace. You get paid, bro, or you're learning this from LA they put you up. Okay, oh yeah, I'm like, you get a per diem? What is a per diem? I see what I'm saying. Oh yeah, per diemers. You know, while you're here, you get an allowance basically to eat and stuff like that. Besides set. I'm like, oh, they put you up, they fly you out, they give you a per diem. I like that. You know, I'm out how much you're getting paid? Oh wait, your your role is called a guest star. Oh and I'm doing a co star. But we same thing. You know what I'm saying, same amoundel lines and stuff. I'm like, okay, so I'm the last crab in a barrel.
Speaker 1: Okay, I see how your mind's thinking.
Speaker 2: You see what I'm saying. I'm like, okay, I'm already doing it. So why not get the treatment that they getting? Sound like I need to make that move to LA. So instead of making that move to l A, I'm like, let me get l A representation while I'm in Atlanta.
Speaker 1: Now does that cause a conflict the people?
Speaker 2: I don't care. I would say this Atlanta agents and stuff. This is not all of them, This is not all of them. But they get intimidated with l A representation. Okay, because LA representation knows a whole lot more. They have a whole lot more access and they're able to do things that people. And I mean, you know, Atlanta agents and stuff can't do. So even with like joining SAG, some agencies don't want you to join SAG because you're not going to be able to do non union projects. But who said I wanted to stay there? This is my career. I want to grow, Yeah, elevate. You know this is not to stay stuck in one lane or you know smart. Yeah, it's starting to feel like Detroit. So anytime it started to feel like Detroit, I got to know, not Detroit, but the system. Yeah. Box. Then I'm like, no, I like that.
Speaker 1: You focused on growth, like you about treading water or anything. So you come to help LA.
Speaker 2: So I booked. So I ended up getting a l A representation while I was in Atlanta. I booked all American. That's all American I was. I was in LA for like three months and then I'm like, I gotta come back here. This is it, this is it, and I'm seeing that paycheck. I said, oh, this is definitely, this is definitely it. I ain't got a taste. That's all I need is to taste. You give me a taste. I'm gonna take that and I'm gonna run with it.
Speaker 1: But now the LA taxes and the LA overhead did you also.
Speaker 2: Now that was the difference. I said, Oh, but they get hit over the head. I said, okay, I gotta paid this much, but I only got this much. Okay, that's for five thousand dollars gone. Yeah, you know. And then I'm like, okay, I need to see what I can do to get all my money.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's when you corporate.
Speaker 2: So then I started asking around. I said, escort, huh yeah, escort. Okay, boom, let's get that. So I got my escort and I started seeing how much I can get paid. I mean, I get all my money and stuff like that. And then, you know, write everything. You can't write every.
Speaker 1: You sound like me. I be every time I'm on the phone with some I'm like you to realize what you busher teeth today? We're writing that off too.
Speaker 2: You can write everything.
Speaker 1: Off, makeups, haircuts.
Speaker 2: The fact that I'm talking to you right now, I'm writing this.
Speaker 1: Off really.
Speaker 2: Meeting.
Speaker 1: Oh you're hilarious, but this is a business meeting. But what are you writing off the time?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're lying. I was like with the gas, the gas though, that is I could write the gas, but.
Speaker 1: That was hilarious because I swear to God for a second there, I was like, wait a minute, come on account.
Speaker 2: Some hours, but you know, have to pay money here then yes, yeah, if.
Speaker 1: You if you bought the ingredients. Someone asked me that thing, like they're like eating up broke supplies ingredients Like yeah, cause you imagine telling someone, hey, by the way, don't forget your tomatoes or whatever, Like it's so rude, Like now, you appreciate your time here. It's an honor to sit down in here, your story and all that. You so all right, So we're gonna so now you're in l A.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now now you're a gangster in LA. You're learning how to manage your money differently. You're moving like a businessman even though you're an actor, which I absolutely love. Yes, I think it makes you even bigger of a threat.
Speaker 2: Because people be surprised how much I know you know that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like I'm asking yeah, yeah, like make the money make sense?
Speaker 2: Right? Yeah? Yeah, now you book Straw.
Speaker 1: Well, we're gonna talk about Taraji for one second here. Taraji also talks about like I think I had seen a clip where she has something like she had wished that she had given someone I want to say she said Tyler and a clip the commissions for all the money that you know, these agents, oh Sherry, that they hadn't oh sorry misquotes, you know, all the money that these agents weren't really fighting for them and stuff like that. Now are you kind of like, are are you pushing back on agency managers or after hearing that because these guys have been in the game for a long time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, like I said, I always I always watch people and how they move. I'm a very spiritual guy, so I feel out things very well. I'm an EmPATH, so I know when something is not right, and when it's not right, I.
Speaker 1: Gotta go, Okay, what's an impath and.
Speaker 2: Path as a person that this can we take on things without even you know, yeah, like if you are sad right now, I'm going to feel your energy and I'm going to feel like how you feel without trying. Yeah, so it's we take.
Speaker 1: On energies so you'd be feeling out there.
Speaker 2: And yeah, so I watch people, movies and stuff like that. Like I said, my conscious feeling, which is God. They don't never steal me wrong, never ever since twenty sixteen when I started this.
Speaker 1: So just so you know, guys, you started in twenty sixteen. Like I think a lot of people when they see people, they're like, oh man, they just got it overnight, and it's like, no, Nope, not at all, ten years, not at all ten years. And then it's straw one of your biggest it's the biggest. This is the biggest, the biggest, the largest.
Speaker 2: At that.
Speaker 1: You got that call? Where was you at? Where were you at when you got the call?
Speaker 2: That's crazy. I was met up with a friend for lunch and they called me. My team called me and told me that I got the role. But I'm gonna tell you out that that's a problem. That's that's that's a testimony. Okay, let me finish what you was asking me real quick. So the agents thing I have not I haven't got to the point where Sherry is because I would just fill it out. I would, I wouldn't know before it gets to that point. And when you're not doing if you can't do what I can do, you gotta go. You see what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: But there's some people out there that like they're like, I'm not saying no names, but I know some people that are huge celebrities and they have management and I know for sure that they are whooping asked in the negotiations more than their managers are. Their allegiance to their managers is to me seems more important than the fact that they're actually doing the work and the better negotiators.
Speaker 2: Right. So see, this is why I love my team. My team come back and say, hey, this is what we got for you. What you want to do, you want to go back for more, let's do it. That's a team. We're actually a team and a family, you know.
Speaker 1: And that's how they'll ever talk off the ledge like I don't know if you can do that, he'll know, Okay.
Speaker 2: I like that. My managers are actually and Rag and that's who I have right now. And Shannon that's my publicist. And oh and my lawyer that's like my right hand man, Josh. He a Fox Rush child and we're all like a family honestly. Yeah, they like my road dogs. It don't you know. It don't feel like business, but it is, and that's how it should be. That's how I want my home to be because this is this is my home, you know. So yeah, I'm I actually let go of my agents before no no, no, no, here before this came out. Why the feeling came over me. You got a feeling and they are so there are beautiful spirits. It was nothing against them at all, but I told that feeling told me you gotta go, damn, and I did it. Right now I'm agency free, so I'm waiting right now to see what God do.
Speaker 1: Oh and that was before before.
Speaker 2: Four Star launched.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wow, before it launched.
Speaker 2: Yeah, before it had came out. Yeah. So yeah. I just always follow my conscience if it tells me to do it. If I'm feeling, if it, keep hey, do it. What are you waiting on? And do it? And it's like, you know, because I have a big heart, and when nobody has done me wrong, it's like, dag, how do I bring this to him?
Speaker 1: If I got that's it sounds like the.
Speaker 2: Because I had nothing against them, they had nothing against we, you know, to see them and it's hug them so tight to this day.
Speaker 1: But how do you explain it? Though I had this feeling, by the way, guys.
Speaker 2: I had no I just I just want to see what else is out there? Okay, okay, because I do, and the feeling that came over me, I just had to go.
Speaker 1: Okay, So that's a tough that's a tough End Bowl movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I'm mean you know that. That's what God just just like I got this whole team. I had let all of my people go at a point and that's the feeling that came over me. And I'll look at what I have now, I'm like, let me rebuild. I like the same feeling. Right. Boom. Got my manager. She is a fan of my work. What Vanessa Bell callaway daughter? Okay, you know what I'm saying. And then she's working. She was working with me on Vness. She's my mom on Black Hampton's. So I was like, oh, that's connection. That's Boom. Then I met my lawyer. He was at sundance and I think, what is the sundance? First someone introduced me to him, but he was so cool and you know, you're a New York nigga, So I'm like okay, so yeah, man, I met him and he's like like the homie. So I'm like, yo, you're taking the clients. He's like yeah, He's like yeah, let's talk. Let's talk. So now that's how I have my team now. So now I'm looking for agency that feel like home that we can invite into our home.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 2: I like that because this this is a we we got, we got a solid, a solid team. I like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's why you say you you'll definitely stop it before it gets to the level that Taraji and Cherry had to go.
Speaker 2: For sure, Okay, for sure?
Speaker 1: Good good. Now let's get into the day he was at lunch with your homie and you got the phone call.
Speaker 2: Oh so I got the phone call. So let me tell you this first, I had got the audition, and you remember the damn I don't want to give it a well, no, this ain't gonna give it away because they've.
Speaker 1: Seen it's back there, like I got it's in the trailer.
Speaker 2: It's the trailer. The guy that was in the bank that was waiting to cash his check. Yeah, he ended up you know, charging that her and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: That was original.
Speaker 2: That's what I auditioned for.
Speaker 1: No way, Yeah, oh heck yeah, I'm so glad, glad you got So.
Speaker 2: What happened was, I'm like, yo, I have an audition for a co star role or supporting role this small and I don't know how long. I'm like, I don't do this ship, you know what? I mean. So then I'm like, yeah, I'm like, you know what, it's Tyler.
Speaker 1: Perry.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I'm like, I'm missus Tyler Netflix. I'm gonna do it. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
Speaker 1: Yes, I like that, especially for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'm like, forget it. So then I did it, sent it in and I don't after I sent in an audition. That's it. I'm not it up. It's we're done. Yeah, yep, I'm not. I'm not thinking about it. Nothing like that one is the next one? Okay, yep, yep. So got the call. You're like, hey, I want to book Mike Tyler wanted to give him another role. Though this role have not been sent out of anybody or anything, right, Okay, Like it's an officer role. So I'm like okay, They're like, yeah, like you know, it's it's a leading role throughout the whole movie. You know, your assignment is the Janaiah, you know, which is the leader of the movie. You're going to be alongside another officer at this time. Officer right, all right, bet, I mean that makes me feel a little.
Speaker 1: Bit better, right, That's definitely great call.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I'm like, yeah, I'll do it right. So then I went back in. I told her, I'm like, yo, I got that, I got the I got the job. So we celebrated right then and there.
Speaker 1: That was crazy, you found out in that moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to office to officer Grimes went back in to my friend. We celebrated right then and there. So then I get to Atlanta.
Speaker 1: And they don't tell you how much or nothing. You don't know that.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, they told me at the time.
Speaker 1: So at the phone call. At the phone call, yeah, you was really celebrating that day the dark.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what do you? I mean, I ain't like that.
Speaker 1: Was it like that? Were you like that happy?
Speaker 2: I mean, I wasn't like you gotta think like this. I'm like, I'm happy I got the row.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I got it.
Speaker 2: So I was. I was excited. I was excited. But they still hill, we still have to pay him this. I'm like, I'm like, all right, it was a very low rate.
Speaker 1: Okay the tyler Okay, yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: It was. I ain't gonna lie, I'm gonna say it. It was five thousand the whole movie. I did a movie for five thousand dollars. That is so low. So then I get to Atlanta and they're like congratulations. I'm like, well, thank you. You already know I was coming away. You know what I'm saying. You already not get thank you, thank you, thank you. They're like no, they're like, do you know what he's saying, gratulations. I'm like no, They're like, they bumped you up again. They promoted you. I'm like, to what detective grimes now? So instead of officer, I am detective. So they promoted me again. So now this is my assignment. The officer attended to me before they go to the chief. Oh what I'm saying, It's like up. Yeah. So I didn't even know what the cast was at that time and they told me, and.
Speaker 1: Whoa, that's hilarious. So you didn't know, you didn't know.
Speaker 2: You didn't know. Guy Eric Majett, he's taking me on the tour around the campus and he's just saying, so he's been working with for Tyler for years, like since the beginning, and he was just saying how proud he was. I mean, he started telling me the cast and I'm like, oh my god. He's like, yeah, you're about to blow. He's like, that's about to be the one for you. He's like you ready. He's like you ready, I'm proud of you. And I'm like, dag.
Speaker 1: So the whole time you had no idea.
Speaker 2: I had no idea.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 2: It was possible that they was going to get certain people.
Speaker 1: But they didn't.
Speaker 2: But you didn't know confirmed cast. I ain't know that.
Speaker 1: But wait, they told you who the possibility was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I ain't gonna get that information, but yeah, the confirmed cast.
Speaker 1: I was like, dog, this is it that it's gonna be Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be nice. Right. So then, oh man, my first day on set, I had to do this what outside the outside the bank. That's the first scene when she walked up, and you know, I seen Tyler like welcome back, you know, because also everybody in the office when I did, I came to do my fitting and everything. It was like a family reunion because I did have and have nots with Tyler years ago right before that. And yeah, man, Tyler's seen me do the rehearsal and he like his monitors right here, he looked. He said, remind me of we need to talk before before I leave. All right, bet, you know we already have a relationship and anything from having.
Speaker 1: Were you nervous a little bit when he said that this is before you voked No, this is on set.
Speaker 2: So and then my boy Eric, they get the work for him. He was looking. He was like, he's like, Eric, yeah out there. He's like, I told you right. He's like, I'm gonna just say that that's not a bad thing. That's not a bad thing. I've been I've been here for a long time and I know what that means.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So then just to fast forward through a little bit, he's like, how much you're paying you? I was like five K he said, excuse me. He's like, I'm sorry a day. I was like nah, He's like, oh okay, Mike. He's like, first of all, I want to apologize. He's like, I'm not in charge of the department. I'm sorry. I will never pay you that. That's not what you're worth. He's like, you did amazing today. He started giving me my flowers and everything. He's like, I've been seeing this in you years ago when we did have some hap and I said I know he was going to be something special. He's like, you're a star. He's like, so I want to pay you like you're a star and he's like, you can let your team know that I'm going to pay this. And I say, oh shit, I ain't never seen that type of money.
Speaker 1: I said, what did you say that in front of him?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Oh, you have it together.
Speaker 2: I had, man, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Wait wait is it on the phone.
Speaker 2: Yes. I'm like, I'm holding it in. I'm holding it in. I'm like, god, man, I appreciate you so much. Bro. He's like yeah, He's like, happy birthday, so boom. So I called my mom birthday. Hell yeah, Mom. I called my mama instantly after that car She said what Mike. I'm like, yes, Mom, he said, gonna pay this. Why I'm on the phone with my mom. He texts me and say, actually, let him know that I'm going to give you this much. It was more made me a six figure man, nigga.
Speaker 1: No, I'm sorry over it.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh my god, bro. At this time, I'm like, Yo, that's a beautiful story. That is what we do it for right here, this is what you've been looking for. My Wow, look so much encourage me. So I'm like, i can't wait to go to set tomorrow. I'm about to kill this ship. Like you know what I'm saying that, Oh I hyped me up, and I'm like, oh, thank god for this man. Bro. This man had like when I'm telling you, man, when he said got your back, he got your back, bro. And he don't forget like he if he say, if you come to him, Hey, this happening. I needed this, all right, don't worry about it. Boom while I he makes it happen whatever it is, he makes it happen.
Speaker 1: We'll give an example on that story because you said this happened. I needed this, like an example.
Speaker 2: So basically, by the way, that story is incredible.
Speaker 1: I love the fact that he said, by the way, happy birthday too, he said, because.
Speaker 2: I see your birthday coming up. Happy birthday. It's like that's the pay bomb happy birthday here, that's on top of what you're worth.
Speaker 1: Wow. I love it all right, go on, don't get distracted.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So an example is like, hey, my overcost too much to get I'm just giving my overcost too much to get here, and they were supposed to give me a voucher. Are you able to handle this for me? I'm gonna get your car service instead of ober and you make it happen. Just like that. Wow. So that's that's a that's an example. The way what I'm talking about I can't really say because it's you know what I'm saying. But that's the example.
Speaker 1: Yeah, damn, I want to go work for time. Yeah, yeah, go online and Tyler Perry opening.
Speaker 2: Man, he.
Speaker 1: That's my nig yo. I love I love I love this for you though. I love this for you genuine like just hanging out with you for the last hour, maybe a little bit longer. Sorry, I love it. I love it for you where you're from, Detroit, where you represent, Like, I love this whole whole story for you. Thank you well deserved And just imagine if you would have been like, nah, I don't want to do that.
Speaker 2: That one was crazy.
Speaker 1: That one.
Speaker 2: It's crazy you say that. We watched six Triple A. He told me he's pray, you know, because he prayed for me, me to me, Tiana Sherry. He prayed for all of us, you know, and you know we had lunch and everything with him at his crib. So he he told me face to face. He was like, I'm proud of you, Mike. He's like, and I'm glad you didn't leave with ego because if you would alleged yourself with ego, you wouldn't even be here. Wow. He's like, don't ever leave with ego. He's like, because you see where your faith got you. Yeah, he said, now you're here, it's time. He's like, and I appreciate you. He's like, that says a lot of how much love you have for my work and our connection because you didn't have to do that, you know. And he's like, keep leading with faith. He's like, your time. He's like, you, this is it. He's like, so get ready. He's like, watch the people you have around you. Oh, he said, keep your head up, stay focused, grind, stay sharp. So stay ready. You don't have to get ready, and just just just to stay to stay in the moment, you know. And he gave me those gems man, and I broke.
Speaker 1: Did you really?
Speaker 2: I was crying, dog. I was crying dog because it's like, you know this man. I'm like, man, this man is a billionaire and he's so he just got a big heart. You have a big heart, man. And he showed me like how I'm gonna be when I become a billionaire. You gotta treat people good. He treat people damn good man. Yeah, I'm getting more real though, man, he solid.
Speaker 1: I love this whole story. By the way, Straw was absolutely incredible. The whole casted amazing. And I was telling you earlier how Ashley versa shout outs to her. Let me just tell you something. She's so lovable, like, and I think she's naturally funny. I was like, low key, like you should be a comedian too, and she was like a girl shut up. Like she was just so quick with it and I'd be like, yo, say it again, and she'd be like, no, it's just rolled and it's out there and I can't remember it, like you know. But she was just really funny and like her personality was just so just like she got a different personality like I was, and her like, oh for you, like I love you, Like he was just so cool. Like just her personality was the definitely like you like love her. But her sense of humor was just crazy.
Speaker 2: And she's vulnerable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's vulnerable. She's vulnerable, but that sense of humor on her is so natural that it was like you could tell it was effortless. It was just like her her clap backs were like Yo, did you notice that she's funny though, Yes she's hilarious, right, I'm not tripping interfused together. I was like, yo, yo, she's ship, and I was, I have to better really really yo she I thought she was funny. But I love how people are going in on Tesla on the straw like they really, like they really really Yeah, she's trended like I could. I'm like, yeah, I hate Tesla. I went on right before you showed up here because I had to approve all these like evil comments to her. And it was funny because I was like, why are they saying, like I have to prove all these comments? I never had this so many, and it's like they're just going in like just hating poor Tesla, you know, And I'm like, yo, she gonna be at an airport or grocery store and they'd be like, should check testa.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's probably going through it everywhere.
Speaker 1: I mean, if I was her mate, I'd be like you got the check, like you know, with her all day. But she's funny. But I'm glad you got to experience that another person's her. You know, I'm watching her for a long time. I've always thought she was able. Never there was never us movie.
Speaker 2: Never I think that I would be sharing a set with her. Yeah, like what, I didn't have a desire for acting. Wow, until you know the moments, I'm like, this is not something I just wanted to do. It was because of disconnected. It's because I wanted to make people feel how Will made me feel. I do this to do give people a positive impact.
Speaker 1: And I thought you were about to cry a little bit.
Speaker 2: I'm trying not to because yeah, so's mm hmm. I love to affect people a positive I mean positively, you know, and make a positive impact on people people's lives. You notice some of the story and stuff that we do on screen, it fulfills people's hearts. And that's what I want to do, is like, if you have a problem in real life, on the screen, we're solving that problem. You know. We're giving people that courage that you know, that motivation and inspiration to just keep going with life. And that's what this movie is about, you know, just to you're not alone.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, and you saw that. I mean everything when I say the premise of the movie, I like, never retain anything when it comes to like the days of movie drops, Like I'm one of those people like surprising know my middle name still, you know. But when I saw and heard about the movie and the premise like oh, single mom whatever, I was.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Literally, I don't know why. I was just I was just so excited to see a role where this mom is just going through hell.
Speaker 2: Yeah you know what I'm saying, Yeah, because I mean, think about everybody go through that. But it's very good to just hit on black women, particularly, you know, because when do we get enough? You know? And it just shows like how trauma is just real. Some people go blind of trauma, don't notice trauma, you know, but it shows that. For me, I'll say, you need to come to peace with trauma before it takes over you.
Speaker 1: And that's that you don't watch that movie, that's that's what you see. And you know when you look back, like I said, I have my moments, but I think back movie was so great by the way, you know what I'm thinking about. But you saw the little pieces where you saw there was trauma. Like the way she was acting, You're.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, you know why she acting like she was in the trauma last straw. She's tired, Yeah, she's tired. And you know, when you're a good person and used to trying to be study, trying to be positive and positive, and you're just trying to push, You're trying to do all that you can, and people just keep poking the bear, keep poking the bear. Why you keep poking me? It's just like Janiyah said, what would.
Speaker 1: You do that? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Why would you do that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Like I'm a good person. I'm not I'm not robbing the bank yet, I'm not sure. I'm not like she said, like, you know, she's not doing nothing wrong.
Speaker 1: So Robby just five and twenty one dollars?
Speaker 2: Yeah, why is this happening?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I thought that was incredible. Loved it on every level. All the acting, Yeah, it was just incredible. It was a hard fleet body of work though complete even how like all the roles were tied together, the just everything about the whole movie.
Speaker 2: But yeah, perfect. Yeah, honestly, man.
Speaker 1: I hated that the last part where it ended. I was like, you guys could have given us two more minutes though.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you know, I mean I don't know. I love how ending.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but now did you when you watch the movie, like how do you watch from like objective? And this is my last question. We were completely over Braden's probably mad. I don't know. I don't know who's mad back there. But when you watch, you watch from objective, I could have done it better? Or do you watch from enjoyment?
Speaker 2: So an actor always watch from an objective?
Speaker 1: Damn that okay?
Speaker 2: First, because we're trying to see how to get better where we need to improve. I can actually say I body this character.
Speaker 1: Yeah you did, Yeah you did.
Speaker 2: I bodied this character. Man, I'm like, yo, I did my thing. And I always focus on the small things, which is listening? Did he actually listen in that scene? Did you actually listen to the whole movie? Did? What were you doing while they were talking? What would you do in real life? Would you shake your head? Would you hey? Would you cut them off for a real quill? It's certain things were doing that wasn't in the script. And that's the thing, like you have to live in the moment, you know. I don't prep much because I want to see what happens when I'm in the moment, you know. So I have my things like beforehand, but I don't like the I don't like the study too much because I don't want to be married to anything, you know, because that's how you get your head in the clusterfucked.
Speaker 1: And you know, is Tyler strict with that.
Speaker 2: He wants you to bring your own creativity.
Speaker 1: That just so you know, I don't I'm not huge, I don't know anything like about acting. But I started to notice over time the more movies I watched comparative to like say, people that are just starting out, you know, you see, like the my first film, I always say, like, the real acting is in the silence, not the you.
Speaker 2: Know, I have silence in this movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's that's what I've noticed. Like it's like if they can act in the silence, Like if I can feel what you're feeling in the silence, that's how I know. But if you got to tell me I'm sad today in this way and I'm like, yo, you did, no.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, its silence. I thank God for my silence in this movie too, because it shows how season I am as an actor. And that's what I want agents to see that you knowing that I'm an agency free, agency free. So yeah, yeah, because nuances is very important as an actor. Okay, because you know everybody focus on their their dialogue. What are you doing besides that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm telling you, I noticed it, and I don't know anything about acting, but I literally was like, Yo, it's it's how they are in their silence, like the looks of the breathing or something. It's like you could feel it. And I just recently like thought about it, like I don't know recently, but I started to go, wait a minute, it's not what they're saying. It's like just even the slightest movement or.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, you know, like yeah, whatever, it all matters. Yeah, it all matters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, where can everybody keep up with everything? Mike Merrill?
Speaker 2: Y'all can find me on social media platforms at m I K E, M E R R I L L Underscore Mike Merrill.
Speaker 1: Yes, and if y'all want to have the best breakfast, one of the best breakfasts you'll ever eat and healthy, healthy, right, it's healthy.
Speaker 2: One more thing too. I have another movie that is premiering at a BFF American Black Film Festival, and it's called Love Offside. It's a love romance. Yeah. Okay, So if y'all going to be in Miami from the eleventh to the fifteenth, my movie premiere is on the thirteenth or four o'clock in Miami at ABFF Wow Night. And I shot that in Jamaica. Ooh, it's a Jamaica movie.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, did you learn any Jamaican recipes?
Speaker 2: Yes? Well, Kanda, Kanda.
Speaker 1: All right, thanks for tuning in. Piece y'all. For more eating while broke from iHeartRadio and The Black Effect, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. Six