Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news. This is Bloomberg Business Wait inside from the reporters and editors who bring you America's most trusted business magazine, plus global business, finance and tech news. The Bloomberg Business Week Podcast with Carol Messer and Tim Stenebeck from Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: Sharees of Netflix, you know that they're dropping. They're down about eight point three percent, the most in two years. Sharer started tumbling last night, the trade continuing lower into today's trade, following a week forecast for revenue at the company and a warning that the streaming giant will stop reporting subscriber numbers in twenty twenty five. You saw that as soon as it crossed last night, You're like, that's a big deal.
Speaker 3: It's a really big deal. I mean, less data. That is not something that investors want, it's not something that analysts want. All of that really overshadowing an otherwise strong start to the year. It's best start to a year going all the way back to twenty twenty and a blockbuster gaining subscribers in the last period. But subscriber gains, Carol, the company said, will be lower in this period.
Speaker 2: All right, So let's get to the interview. He was a bear on Netflix for years until he wasn't with us as Michael Pactor, Managing Director and entertainment analyst at Wedbush Securities. He's out there in Long Beach, California. Michael, let's just go to it down more than eight percent, that's selloff justified in your view, it is.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think Tim said something that probably isn't right. As an analyst, I prefer no information. It actually allows it allows, it allows me to share my insights and investors actually value them more.
Speaker 3: Well said.
Speaker 4: And the truth is, you know, this stock was valued for twenty years on subscriber growth, and that's all people cared about. You know, if you kind of remember, and I know you guys were in great school, but the dot com boom, all we cared about was the number of email accounts or the number of users. And that's true of Netflix from nineteen ninety seven until effectively yesterday. And what the company is now doing is acknowledging that it's no longer a super high growth company, but it is remarkably profitable. And so you know, we have to transition to looking at them as a low growth company with lots and lots of profit, and I think that what investors are missing today is that the spend on content is likely going to be steady. State there's you know, if you're spending seventeen billion a year on content at two hundred and seventy million users, do you really need to spend ten percent more at three hundred million users? Like? No, they have plenty of content, So the leverage from even modest growth is going to be massive, and the cash flow number is going to get giant. So yes, I think it's worth seven twenty five. I think the sell off is overdone. But people are disappointed because they've they've been trained to value these guys based on subscriber growth.
Speaker 3: But Michael doesn't sound like you're that disappointed that you're not going to get those subscriber numbers anymore, because you're thinking that this company needs to be valued in a different way.
Speaker 4: That's exactly right. And you know, Harvard Business School wrote a case about my valuation of Netflix, and I've been saying this for ten years. It wasn't sustainable as a high growth, low profit company. It had to transition to a low growth, immensely profitable company. They started to do that in twenty twenty two, and that's when we upgraded May of twenty two. And you know I said it then and I'm saying that now. They just had to complete the transition and acknowledge this is how we should look at them. We don't look at Facebook as a high growth user company. We look at as a high growth profit company. We don't look at Google as you know, adding users. We don't care at all. We just cared that they find better ways to monetize. Netflix has done that. They found better ways to monetize. The two big things are the ad tier, which not only grows revenue through higher revenue per thousand ads I'm sorry for thousand views, but also allows them to bring in lower, lower income customers and also allows them to retain people who are churning out. And then the second is password crack down no sharing. That means I'm going to pay more when my kids move out. I'm going to buy my kids seven dollars ninety nine cent subscriptions rather than make them pay themselves at fifteen forty nine. So these two things at a lot of revenue, and that's where we should really start looking at and mean we should start thinking about Netflix, says growing revenue? Who cares how many users they have?
Speaker 2: Let me ask you something and forgive me because I'm going to go in a tangent. But Tim knows that kind of test it Apple. Do you feel the same way about Apple that maybe it's a lower growth company, but it still sells a whole heck of a lot of stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I don't cover Apple. My colleague Dan i'ves does, but yes, you know, you sell five hundred million or nine hundred million phones a year. Do you really care as long as all those people use every app and they're paying in the app store, like, you don't care at all. So you know, the app store revenue is the part that's really growing. In the warranty revenue and all the service income from those guys and all the accessories. So if you have nine hundred million phones out there, they have more. You can sell nine hundred million AirPods. So people start thinking about the basket size. So yes, Amazon, same thing. Do we know how many users Amazon has? We don't care. I mean I personally went from one item a month to three items a day Amazon, and we all are doing that, so we all get it. We understand that Amazon just starts to replace all physical retail and we don't care if there are more users. Same with Apple, we don't care if there are more users as long as those people buy more.
Speaker 2: I love what you're saying. It's interesting, but it's like a total rethink about how we value these companies, or certainly how we report on these companies. Do we get to that point? Is the analyst investment community going to go there at some point?
Speaker 4: Well, they're there on every one of the you know, the big top ten companies except for Netflix and probably for Tesla and probably for Nvidia, every other company Microsoft, Like, nobody thinks Microsoft is growing users. They just think Microsoft is growing the way they monetize users. Nobody thinks Amazon is growing users, or Apple or Google. So no, I think that every large tech company, every quarter trillion dollar company or bigger, we should start thinking about them as achieving steady state users but figuring out how to grow basket size. And that's where Netflix.
Speaker 1: Is right now.
Speaker 3: Okay, Michael, I want to talk about these different levers that that Netflix has to use to increase revenue. I want to talk prices here. I mean, how much room does Netflix have especially in markets where it's really fully penetrated, like the United States, to actually raise prices.
Speaker 4: Well, I think that you're going to see streaming competition kind of drop by the wayside. You know, let's see what the new owners of Paramount choose to do. Sony's not going to be able to suffer through through big losses on Paramount Plus, so I don't know yet. Disney is not going to take losses forever. They'll flail for a bit. But as Disney pulls ESPN onto a standalone streaming service, they're going to realize that's a huge mistake. Peacock is unsustainable. So truthfully, I'd say people will probably pay about twenty bucks a month. Where the average user on Netflix consumes sixty five hours a month of content that's worth twenty bucks. I mean, that just doesn't turn out to be very expensive thirty cents an hour, so I think twenty they can get to. I think on the ad tier they could probably get to something like six ads per hour at forty bucks per thousand, and that means you're talking about twenty dollars or so per month just in ad revenue. So I could see the average revenue going up and this passwords sharing crackdown also is going to take that number above twenty. So I think twenty dollars per user is at least in the US and Canada is pretty realistic. Cut that in half probably for Europe, and then cut it in half again for rest of the world. You know, so again twenty bucks here, ten bucks Europe, five bucks rest a world. But I think they're going to get there. I really do.
Speaker 2: In terms of addam, you obviously like it. You as we mentioned, your twelve month price target of seven to twenty five thirty percent upside roughly from where we are. What are the problems? What are the risks? Though? With the Netflix story, I mean, nothing's ever perfect, except of course my co host right other thise.
Speaker 4: They're arrogance is probably their biggest their biggest adversary. They don't seem to think that they need the analyst community. So probably half the people who cover the stock could not explain to you what I just explained. They don't have analyst days, you know. They sent out something for the upfront meetings and they told my team we can send one person. We said, can we send me and my co analysts? And they said nope, only one, they're jerks. They don't seem to have any interest in hearing journal views about anything they're doing, so their game strategy is just idiotic. And again a very large shareholder Netflix told them they should talk to me about games. I was copied on the email introduction and theyed, they just don't care, so they think they know everything. You can watch their earnings call. Look at Greg Peters and Ted Sarandos. They are the two smartest people ever born. Like watch the having the earnings interview. You can tell they are. They're the smartest people ever born. So they don't need to hear from other people. That's their biggest, biggest probley.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in some context too. I mean you have been covering gaming for years too, so perhaps that's why you know some people recommend that you should talk to those folks about games. I'm wondering if that changes just in the last thirty seconds that we have with you, Michael, Does that change at all now that increasingly you argue they're viewed as a value stock, will they start to open up a little more.
Speaker 4: I don't think so. I think your first point that they're becoming more opaque, this has been their formula for success. They have consistent we lowered the number of data points that they provide to investors for the last fifteen years. This is their DNA, So no, I don't think so, all.
Speaker 2: Right, So appreciate your time today, Michael, have a great week. And Michael Pacter, Managing director and entertainment analyst at Webush Securities, joining us from Long Beach, California'm looking at shares of Netflix tim Dad about nine percent here, so pretty much hovering near their lows of the session, down the most in about two years, so certainly one of the laggards we're seeing.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week podcast. Catch us Live weekday afternoons from two to five pm Eastern Listen on Apple car Play and then brought auto with a Bloomberg Business app or watch us Live on YouTube Listen.
Speaker 2: We're focusing a lot on the equity trade today, but really what we've talked so much about throughout the week, and the reason that we've seen some volatility creep in once again on the side of US stocks and certainly putting pressure we're seeing that in the week overall, is that what we've seen Tim overall this week when it comes to US rates.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, US rates have shot higher Carol in fact, yields on the tenure this week, moving to levels not seen this year all the way going back to November of twenty twenty two. So certainly has to do a little bit with the way that people are thinking about the path of the Federal Reserve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. So it's kind of like TikTok, TikTok, everybody, because that is the sound of the Federal Reserve basically resetting the clock when it comes to what they want to do with interest rate cuts, putting them off longer as we know. Chicago Fed Bank President Austin Goolsby among the latest too way in today saying the US Central Bank team needs some more time.
Speaker 3: Writing about all of this. In a week two when we heard from Fed Chair J Powell, who confirmed we are indeed, yes, higher for longer on rates. Is Bloomberg News Federal Reserve and Economics reporter Katerina Sariva in our Houston bureau. Katerina, a great piece that really ties together kind of everything that we heard this week with Powell, the moves on rates, we know, the drill, the FED data dependent and yet Fed Chair J. Powell is cementing the message this week that led to the reset of the clock cutting rates. As you write, why do you think there was a significant shift this week when we heard from a lot of FED speakers in recent weeks that yes, that data has indeed come in a little hotter than we like.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I think, you know, as they say, it ain't over to the fat ladies things. I think in this case, you know, people are really looking for that guidance from the top, and I think especially getting it from the chair is a clear indication that this is kind of you know, we're now seeing a shift and it's kind of has broad support. You know, we've, as you mentioned, heard it from various FED officials, but now also from the chair, and you know, importantly we also heard it from the Vice chair earlier this week, and you've heard similar sentiments from John Williams, the president of the New York FED. So that's kind of your FOMC troika as they like to call it. So you know, the leadership is saying it, the others are saying it. So so now we can be sure that this is kind of the path forward.
Speaker 2: It's like in a household, you know, depending upon parents, like one is sometimes more strict. So it's like, you know, well mom said this or dad said this, Like it just holds a different way.
Speaker 3: We know that.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying one sex or the other. Whowell this kiss Jay Powell is just I don't know, he's both, I guess right. But having said that, it was significant to have him kind of finally get on board with this idea that, yeah, maybe we are going to stay higher for longer. Having said that, I do feel like there's still a little bit of a drum beat among Fed officials Keterina that was still going to get a rate cut this year, and I feel like market folks that we talked to say, yeah, probably after the elections is kind of what we're thinking. Has a rate cut by the Fed and FED official has been ruled out completely?
Speaker 5: No, I don't think so at all. I think they very much would like to cut rates this year. And they're also concerned about, you know, what will start to happen on the labor market side of things if they keep rates you know, too high or high for a long time, so they're being very cautious. I think they would like to cut rates. I think you see you know, this reaction we're seeing in markets is maybe kind of a bit more extreme than where FED officials are, right. I think you're seeing now just two odds of two rate cuts this year. People push it, keeping pushing it out farther and farther. Some banks now saying that, you know, we might not get any rate cuts at all. But I think for the Fed, you know, the latest forecast we have from them is for three cuts that you know, we we'll have to see in June whether that holds up, but I think they want.
Speaker 2: To see a cut. A couple of things that struck me in your story, and this one in particular, because we're starting to hear from people saying, and we have actually for a while no rate cuts this year, and maybe we get a rate increase. You write in the story, FED officials are increasingly voicing concern high borrowing costs may not be doing enough work to rain and demand, increasing anxiety among investors in analys that the Central Bank may need to actually raise interest rates further. It's interesting how the narrative has changed. I feel, like Katerine, in such a short period of time, you know what guidance at all or commentary have we gotten really that we can kind of hang our hat on when it comes to FED officials about a rate increase.
Speaker 5: So first of all, it's not that many Fed officials that have kind of opened the door to this, but a few of them have maintained throughout this whole process, you know, from when they started holding rates in July, that another rate increase is not off the table. I mean, you've even heard Powell say this. So I think they want to keep options open. They've seen what can happen when they tie themselves down too much to one to one policy course, and it's not good. So they want to keep options open. But it's still a very kind of, you know, fringe idea, if you want to call it that. It's kind of the last option for them. So I think it's still pretty out there in terms of the chances for that, but they're keeping the door open.
Speaker 3: So okay, keeping the door open. It's fringe. It's sort of an out there option the way that you describe the idea of potentially raising rates this year. Further, I wonder, though, what data you might have to see for you to start saying that that idea is no longer fringe, or we hear from more FED officials that Okay, we might need to open the door a little wider on this.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I mean, I think the inflation data is going to be you know, really hotly watched from now on, and I mean it has been already, but I think if we continue to see prints that are disappointing, that are just kind of flatlining or even going up from where we are right now, that's going to really increase concern of that. And then I think other demand activity, right if you see that using that we saw in the first few months of this year in financial market, so if you see uh, you know, the stock market going up again, maybe treasury yields falling a bit from from these higher levels now, uh, you know, that could cause concern. And then some of this consumer data, right, like the labor market strength, if that just continues unadult traded, if you see consumer spending and retail sales data that continue to come in really strong as it has the past month or so, you know, all of that will kind of add to this picture of the economy isn't slowing as we would like, and it's going to take more action from US, US being the Fed, not me, but it's you know that it would take more action from the FED to to really slow things down.
Speaker 3: Well, Katerina, we had Matt Bosler on our program yesterday and he pointed out in a great piece in Bloomberg Business Week about how increasingly we're starting to see a larger and larger portion of inflation data made up of rents going up, not necessarily across the country, but in certain hotspots around the United States. Given that the Fed's tools that it has, our Lunt instruments, how does it get that part in control when all it can do is you know, focus on this dual mandate.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, it's a really interesting question, and this is something that Chicago FED President Austin Goldsby has been talking about. How if you look at the kind of different big components of inflation, goods, services, and housing, the one that really hasn't slowed down much is housing inflation. And so that's concerning. But as Matt pointed out in his peace, that does have some kind of geographic differences, right You're seeing flowdowns in the south and in the West, but not in the Northeast. So I mean, I think for them, for the FED, what that means is just keeping rates higher for longer or potentially raising rates to try to slow it down. I mean, it is a very blunt instrument, and I think that's why at the beginning of this tightening cycle, people were really concerned that we were going to have to see a recession because demand was just so strong, and in things like the housing market, where you have so many other forces at play. Right we have a huge supply issue in this country, So it's really kind of tough to move that needle when you just have the reality of not enough housing for the number of people we have in this country. So I think if we don't see more progress on that front, it is going to kind of bring back some of those questions about, you know, are we really just going to have to break things a little bit or cause more pain to fully bring down inflation.
Speaker 2: Well, and Katerine, as you guys point out or you point out in your story, I mean the idea that that you know, the things that folks are worried about is that it takes so little to kind of stimulate the economy. Right now, I think we're all shocked, you know, as growth estimates can be being kicked higher here in the United states from the eye about global growth, and you know, we keep having folks on especially in the investment universe, are saying like the US is doing well compared to a lot of other markets, especially developed markets around the world, when you look at their economic outlook, so you know, better growth doesn't take lot, you know, much to stimulate. You've got to be worried about sparking inflation again. And that's kind of where the FED is, and I'm assuming at this point they're going to want to see two to three to four you know trend you know, trending lower when it comes to inflation before they're ready to really do something when cut rates. So that's already you're talking three or four months at least from now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that's right, and I think that's what we really aim to show in the piece, that the clock has been fully reset. Now we've had three months at least with the CPI of disappointing reads. We're likely to get another kind of flat maybe upprint in the PCE next week, so it really now the clocks reset. We need another probably three months or so of just yeah data that is where inflation is cooling and not just staying steady or rising.
Speaker 3: So, Katerina, let's go back in time a little bit to November December of this year when we saw what was referred to, I guess until yesterday or earlier this week as the first Powell pivot. Do you think that's something that maybe the FED chair regrets or perhaps could wishes he wouldn't have done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 5: It's I think it's so difficult to, you know, in hindsight go back and say that because the data were looking good, and I mean, to be fair to him, what he said at that point is that, you know, the next policy move is likely a cut, which I think still seems to be the case. And really he was working with what he had at that point, right, So it's tough.
Speaker 2: It's tough. It's going to be interesting May first that next FMC meeting, so certainly a focal point for us. Katerina, thank you so much. Katerina Sarrive, a Bloomberg News Federal Reserve and Economics reporter.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week podcast. Listen live each weekday starting at two pm Eastern applecar Play and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station, Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 2: We do want to get to some of the news that we've been following this week. Just yesterday at Columbia University here in New York calling on the NYPD to intervene on pro Palestinian protests, resulting in the arrest of more than one hundred people. This was according to the FT and also at New York City Mayor Eric Adams.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's all coming at a time, Carol, when institutions across the US and around the world are dealing with a heightened political climate amid protests over Israel's war in Gaza, and this challenge just one of the many challenges that leaders of academic institutions are dealing with. Others include the cost of education, how AI and other technologies will change the way teachers teach and students learn, and of course, how to prepare students for a rapidly changing world.
Speaker 2: We have one of those leaders with us today. There's a lot on everybody's mind. Francisco Veloso is dean of INCIAD Business School, which is one of the top bizes schools in the world, located in France, one of my favorite cities, and Dimitri Cassanid's is Bloomberg new senior editor, both of them joining us here in our Bloomberg Interactive Growths.
Speaker 1: You can go just go.
Speaker 3: Spent a couple of years in.
Speaker 2: It might be a little late.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 2: Having said that, great to have both of you here with us. Francisco, thank you so much for being with us. We love kind of the business school reporting and coverage. It's such an important part of our world. We do have to start though, with kind of the general macro environment and politics on campus. You've certainly had to deal with it as a leader. What is kind of the role of heads of educational institutions in your view when it comes to protection of academic freedom, diversity of thought, freedom of speech. You know, a wise individual said to me one of our producers. The freedom to make mistakes, especially as students, happens in a safe environment dmic environment. That's where we learn and are enlightened. Help me make sense of the challenges you guys are dacing are facing in this geopolitical environment.
Speaker 7: Good afternoon, and thank you for the invitation to be here to contribute to these important conversations. You know, a lot going on in business schools. As you were saying, I think the key element is exactly what you mentioned about creating a safe, secure and supported environment for the community. And this has certainly been our focus at INSIODS and we have one of the most diverse student bodies that you can have. I mean, as we usually say at INSAIOD in your classroom, everybody is a minority, and that's really what it is. I mean, no nationality or ethnicity has more than ten to fifteen percent of the population. And that has been that We've worked very hard with our student body to create that environment for dialogue, for understanding, and our students are telling us that that is what's happening.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 7: I have been personally meeting with the students from different you know, sensitivities, different nationalities and asking them what's happening on campus and in our campus we're having a very positive and productive dialogue. That does not mean that there are no sometimes frictions and tensions, but not in a way that has led to difficulties. On the contrary, the community feels very supported and safe and that's where we are Heydan.
Speaker 3: I want to take a step back and just explain how in siat is different, because I think a lot of people who are listening perhaps are in the US and they're used to what happens in a two year MBA program here in the United States, but that's not what you get at in Siat.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 7: So in Siad has been the pioneer school with a one year MBA and so we've started that many years ago. And we're also a very global school. So we started in France in Fontainebleau, in the Chateau the Funtain Blow that's our heritage. But twenty years ago we opened a campus in Singapore, our Asia campus, and ten years ago we opened the campus in Abu Dabi and we have now a hub here in San Francisco. And so our school is extremely global. I mean a third of our activities at the moment are out of Singapore. And this is part of our ethos because the way we position ourselves is the business school for the world, and that is about the environment that we create at all levels and certainly as a student, as I was just mentioning, when you embark on our transformative journey, it's super intense in how you engage, but it's also super intense in this human dimentioned because of this very diverse space that you find and the fact that we do create this environment means that there is a lot of openness from the students to learn from the others because one of the things that they marvel from the beginning is that they enter that space and see, how can I possibly find something in common with such a diverse group, And after a day they find out that they have many more things in common than they thought. And this is an amazing discovery experience. Of course, on the top of the you know, amazing quality of our faculty, the high level delivery that we that that we do, and this is part of that learning experience that they that.
Speaker 2: They have well, And I'm wonder and Demita, I want to bring you into this because I do think about or in a world where technology can bring people closer, students closer from all over the globe. And there's some interesting reporting that you guys have all done, our Bloomberg News has done about kind of the role of AI in all of this.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, I think AI is really transforming so much. And it's interesting because we went from this place of being terrified when we were first being exposed to some of the more you know, kind of out there applications of it over the last two years, but you know in the ways that it'll be used to enable more flexibility and more students from far flung places to really engage in something to something as recently as what we reported on this week, which is the ways in which maybe something like AI will be brought to bear in how academic paper and research at business schools will be measured for purposes of accreditation to see whether or not to analyze whether or not the story we wrote about was a program that some folks at school in Philadelphia developed and it is a way to see, well, are you upholding and really you know, supporting sustainability measures as set out by the UN So it's really interesting the ways in which this particular innovations has a role to play. I think Francisco Plut probably has a lot more to say about that, because I know he's focused a lot specifically on technology and innovation. But before I throw it to him, the other interesting point that I don't know if you mentioned, but Singapore is a big campus of THEIRS and it's you know, it's almost as big and significant in size as what's happening in Fontainbleau. So that's a big direction for what's happening in B school educationals. Just to emphasis underscoore that, Well.
Speaker 2: It's interesting and I'm glad you brought that because it's like that balance right between physical plant but also what technology could do. So come on in on that.
Speaker 7: I think that this is quite critical, as you said, And it's interesting the point that Dinna just made, because we did a recent survey with our alumni. We have you know, basically seventy thousand alums, and we asked them what do you think about AI, you know, Jena I in particular, how is that you know factoring in? And one thing that's very interesting is that, you know, over half of the respondents said that they're actually more excited than concerns and so this is about, you know, how is this something that you see as an opportunity or not?
Speaker 3: And about another forty.
Speaker 7: Percent said that, you know, they have some concerns, but mostly positive and only a very small small minority thought about this that being something that they're overly concerned. So in fact, I think people that feel empowered in their learning trajectory, in their in their in their professional trajectory. I think are seeing this as an interesting opportunity. That's one one aspect that I thought would be highlighted. Certainly we're seeing that from our alumni us.
Speaker 2: To hear the positive because we do right, we do get a lot of the horrors potentially exactly.
Speaker 7: And that's what I was That's why I was mentioning because I think it is important to say that you know that you know in this survey the majority felt actually very positive about the opportunities.
Speaker 8: It's interesting. I had a professor from another an institution from Columbia in a discussion recently and the point was really more, you know, to really get at the fear, you need to don't think about this as something that's going to come in and replace a job, a position. It's task based and as a task based tool that can transform things. It actually might make your job. It might eliminate your job, but it also might make your job.
Speaker 4: So your job.
Speaker 7: What we what we do with the classroom, if you're not looking at you know, I mean business schools really have a very important role to play in this discussion on different dimensions So first is of course, to help us all understand what's going on. I mean, this is a transformative technology that's affecting every sector, every business. We need to understand what's going on, what's working, not working, how are people using this technology in a productive way. And that's what a school like INSID can do, you know, through the cutting edge research. We have faculty that have been already looking at these even before Jenny I got to the stage that it has now globally, and this is something that we're bringing to the classroom and also bringing to our executive education. We have a very successful problem on transforming your business with AI, which is an example of bringing that to the executive population on a more immediate basis, but bringing that to the classroom, you know from the research, which is quite important so that people understand. The second one is make students feel comfortable about using these tools in the classroom as there is going through that learning journey. You know, take the example that Dinna mentioned just now. You know, in all that mentions, the university and the business schools has to be a safe environment to experiment to learn. If we're not bringing that to the way that we do things with the students, then we're not fulfilling our role as as a leading business.
Speaker 2: There's a place to make mistakes education and right kind of thing through things exactly.
Speaker 7: And the and the third thing that I think it's quite interesting is actually to think about how you can create new tools, new approach to education itself through these new tools, which is of course something very important because you know, inad we see ourselves as at the cutting edge of business education, so we also it also means we have to think about how do we use that to create different tools, different approaches in education itself.
Speaker 3: So can you talk a little bit about employment after INCID because no question, that is the reason why people go to business school. It's to get jobs that earn more money after going to school and then also potentially to pivot and switch careers in addition to lifelong networking. But what are the what are the companies the types of companies that are recruiting at the business school right now? Because I think a lot of people here in the US would say, okay, well, it's consulting companies are huge for schools in New York. Finance, of course is huge for schools in New York. Increasingly, tech in recent years obviously, But.
Speaker 7: But how does that look at INCAT In some dimensions it is not that different, right, I mean, consulting is a very important part of the outlook for the students that join that join us financed as well, but not to the same extent as as the schools in London or New York. That's not not to be not to be surprised. And tech is increasingly is increasingly important. The two aspects that that is also quite important for us is an increasing presence of entrepreneurship and the role of entrepreneurship. You know, Pitchbook last last September did a very interesting ranking of you know, what were the schools globally that we're generating more startups over the long run and and basically in SIAT came out for globally or m b A, which was very interesting. Then the other part that's quite substantive on the case of INCIAT is perhaps less on the industry we have a variety of industry, but more on the geography. The placement of our students is really global. I mean, for example, over the last few last few years, and this is in particular the number of you know, the Gulf countries overtook London as the most significant placement area for our graduates because the population that we get is extremely internationally, extremely mobile, so they look for opportunities in a global scale. And this is one of the things that is super interesting about our populations, how our students really look and say, Okay, maybe it's Singapore, maybe it's Malaysia, maybe it's the UEE, or maybe it's London or Paris, and it's in that dimensioned that I feel there is a very visible difference from some of the you know, perhaps US based business schools significance.
Speaker 2: I feel like a lot of the reporting is a lot more on the Mid East and the money and the innovation and spending that they are doing right now.
Speaker 8: So for instance, I mean here in the US, one of the sort of tensions and pressure points in the past year or two, though on the jobs front has been contraction to some degree. I mean, those are still definitely the leading industries, but there's still a lot of fear and a lot of concern about what we see happening with the consulting jobs, with the finance jobs, certainly with the tech jobs. The layoffs have been continuing. It wasn't just the story for twenty twenty three. It was also for twenty twenty four to what extent has that affected your students coming out? And you know, we did a story less Spring and it was affecting our schools and graduates at the highest levels of the ranking, like Harvard grads all the way on down, who were graduating without jobs and feeling very nervous.
Speaker 2: And we just have about forty five seconds.
Speaker 7: Yes, and it is also having some impact because of course there's less opportunities on these and so which means that our students are finding also other opportunities as well because we're seeing just less jobs available in those industries. So they're doing these two dimensions. One is the geographical element, so perhaps they're interested in consulting, and they say, okay, if you want consulting, you may have a good opportunity in the Middle East, but not in London, for example, or in New York. The other part is to look at other industries and for example, a big push that we've had over the last few years to for example, to look at sustainability and to look at the energy transition. You know, we're also very much supporting our graduates to explore these other aspects of the role that business schools can have to explore these new opportunities in terms of, for example, energy, transition, sustainability and all of these elements that are picking up around the globe, and where we feel that we are training our graduates to lead on that and very much interested to be and to continue to be at.
Speaker 2: The forefront of this interesting time. To be leading a top business school, it's got to be fun. Dean Francisco Valo, So the NCID Business School joining us here in studio along with our own Dimitry Cancanini, senior editor at Bloomberg News, thanks to book. This is Bloomberg, Marc.
Speaker 4: A journal.
Speaker 6: Now about you let me drive, no no, no, no, Honry please Grave, I want to drive, which a good question.
Speaker 1: This is the drive to the globe. Well on Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, everybody, just about eighteen minutes left in today's trading session, getting ready to wrap up the Friday trade. Also the week overall, a week where we know it's a trend line, not great one for the S and P five hundred. We would be down three weeks in a row. Haven't seen this in some time, but it's okay. If you're trying to be a bear in this market, but if you've got some bullish overtones in your portfolio, that makes it a little bit more tricky.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Worth also noting that the yield on the tenure hit its highest since November over the FED reset. This idea that the Fed's resetting the clock and on cuts and reevaluating the trajectory of price growth. And we've got a great guest to help us, you know, get an idea of really what's going on and makes sense of rates plused equities as well. Janet Rilling is senior portfolio manager and head of the plus fixed income team at all Spring Global Investments. She joins us from a Wisconsin Janet, how are you.
Speaker 6: I'm good.
Speaker 9: Good afternoon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good afternoon to you as well. I do want to start with what happened with yields this week, because we certainly saw a reset from the Federal Reserve and I think that expectation is certainly playing out when it comes to the rates market.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 9: So this is really the data dependency playing out, right. The fedist told us they're going to be data dependent, and when we see the data change, they're going to change. So what have we seen happen. We've seen stronger growth than expectations, a more robust job market, but most importantly elevated inflation, and that's what's caused them to make a change in their view. They've been communicating a more hawkish tone. How well, earlier this week indicated a shift in that view, and that certainly has resonated in the fixed income markets.
Speaker 2: All right, speaking of shifts and tones, we're just watching shares of Nvidia right now extending. They're dropped to ten percent right now as we speak, So their racing about two hundred and twelve billion dollars in market care have value when it comes to end video. So again, this has been one of the standout performers, best performing name in the S and P five one hundred last year. It was another top performer already this year. I mean the stock perspective everybody, it's up about fifty three percent this year. But we are definitely seeing a very different tone in today's trade.
Speaker 3: Video goes down, also, stocks.
Speaker 2: Go up, stocks go down. But it's interesting. I'm just going to pull up real quickly on the Bloomberg A GP chart and in terms of the trend line, like you've seen a little bit of a roll over here, certainly if you go back to when it peaked kind of back in late March. So you've definitely seen a move down and definitely a move down lower in today again extending the drop to ten percent. So we talked about corrections.
Speaker 3: Well, likely we'll see it move fall or closed below carrold it's fifty day moving average for the first time going all the way back to November.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so this is why we care about what's going on. These are names that have been really propelling some of the momentum in the markets all right back to though it's also been propelling and changing the momentum. And is that move up in rates Going back to Jenner Rilling, who's over at all Spring Global Investments, she's head of a plus fixed income team. So I am curious, Janet, we've talked about the changing narrative from the Federal Reserve and the changing narrative around US Treasury rates and what we've seen along the Treasury curve. When is it that you guys pull the levers for your investors saying you know, now it's time to kind of change our strategy on the fixed income side.
Speaker 8: Of things.
Speaker 2: Is now the time or did you do it already? I don't know a month ago. I'm just curious.
Speaker 9: Yeah, we're certainly a team that's active in rates positioning. Last year we had a long duration position on given our expectations that we were at the terminal rate by the Fed. We did neutralize that coming into this year, So that puts us in a good position to be opportunistic with the changes and rates. Earlier this week we saw the two year briefly go above five percent, and I would say that was a point we thought it was worth nibbling a little bit. So we are watching closely and watching for an opportunity to add a duration. If there's continued upward pressure here.
Speaker 3: On rates, what would what would prompt you to add to the portfolio right now? What would prompt you to buy? What do you need to see on the rates curve?
Speaker 9: Yeah, well, part of it is just outright levels. If we start getting above five percent on the two year, that's looking pretty attractive to us. While the Fed has turned a bit more hawkish, we are not expecting them to raise rates, particularly in the next several quarters. So a two year above five percent seems like good value to us where we can start collecting that yield and there's not the pressure of it going up much further.
Speaker 2: But when you say about adding duration, how far out in the curve are you willing to go and does it make sense? I'm just thinking for investor especially, you know, I don't guess if they are thinking about you know, almost five percent on the ten year if we go back there. I mean, how many are saying, you know, this isn't a bad shift in my money and a way to kind of lock in an expected return if you will, with maybe less risk that we might see the equity side of things or some other investments.
Speaker 9: We are more constructive on the front end. So a place we are overweight is the five year. More in the ten year space we're more neutral, and as we go out further in the thirty year, we do have an underweight position because we think the range of outcomes there is much wider. You have issues with if inflation does accelerate further, but the long end will be hit a bit further. And certainly there are some technical pressures related to funding for the government for the ongoing deficits that we are running.
Speaker 2: What do you think we could top out are where could we go above on the ten year.
Speaker 9: Well, certainly earlier ear late last year we hit five percent, so certainly we could retest that five percent area, but our base case puts it probably a bit below five percent. I mean currently today we're at four sixty one. I think we hit about a four sixty four earlier in the week. I mean, there's certainly room for it to move up some from here, but given our outlook, we would think that five percent would be a good place to start, adding.
Speaker 3: Sorry, five percent on the two year of.
Speaker 2: The ten ten on the ten years.
Speaker 3: I mean, do you that's interesting because we've spoken to a lot of folks who said, you know, within this cycle, we think we're not going to hit the hit five again. We think that the peak happened back in October.
Speaker 2: What say you, but you think it'll be below five percent, You'll think it's more like.
Speaker 9: Yeah, our base cases below. My point was, if we do retouch five percent, that could be a buying opportunity.
Speaker 2: Okay, beyond the US Treasury curve. Where else in fixed in come do you find the best opportunities right now in this environment?
Speaker 9: Yeah, we think it's a good time to be diversified in your exposures. So we run a corplus strategy where we can use a lot of the global fixed income sectors. So we do have an allocation to investment grade corporate credit. It's more of a neutral allocation, but we think it's a good place to be, particularly the triple be part of the investment grade credit space. You get a bit higher yields there, and with the strength we've seen in the US economy, we think that those companies will be stable and able to continue to service their debt well. In terms of high yield here, we're at the lower end of our range in terms of our allocation. We've kept some dry powder in the event that we get more of a risk off trade, and certainly this week, with what we've seen in the treasury market, we have seen high yield spreads widen, so that opportunity could be coming in the next couple of weeks. The fundamentals are quite good in the high yield market, but of course valuations reflect a lot of that.
Speaker 3: Right now, Hey, Janet, we're gonna have to leave it there. Thank you so much for joining us this afternoon. That's Janet Reelings, Senior portfolio manager, and head of the plus fixed Income team over at all Spring Global Investment.
Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Business Week Podcast, Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcast. Listen live weekday afternoons from two to five pm Eastern on Bloomberg dot com, the iHeartRadio app tune In, and the Bloomberg Business App. You can also watch us live every weekday on YouTube and always on the Bloomberg terminal