Speaker 1: Welcome to Press Pass.
Speaker 2: It's Thursday, September twenty sixth, and today we heard from the Ravens coordinators. First up with special teams coordinator Chris Horton.
Speaker 3: Good to see everyone today. Just a little quick recap of last week. You know, I think the one thing I am pretty pleased about is like when you turn on the tape and we watch our guys play. Our guys are playing physical, our guys are playing hard, and we are we are having some success out on the field. I think the thing that the thing that we're continuing to strive for and the thing that we are continuing to chase is really like perfect execution. Because when the execution is not right in our phase of the game, you know, it's somewhat is it's noticeable, right, So so our thing, man, we come out here like every day, every Wednesday, every Thursday, every Friday, and then when we get to Sunday, Man, we want to we want to go out there and really play our best football. And that starts with our physicality and our effort, giving us an opportunity to have us usful play and then maximizing our execution when we're out on the field.
Speaker 1: Questions Chris from.
Speaker 4: The the one one side kick or with say is it just a matter of just catching the ball or is there something else when you talk about execution that could have helped them?
Speaker 3: You know, I think when you when you look at that play, we did a We did a great job of getting ourselves one, getting lined up, understanding that the type of kick that we that we were going to see, and then it's really just uh, you know, I explained with and I talked to him about this, you know, maybe a little bit more with understanding how that ball is going to come in, a little bit more with you would probably put yourself in front of the ball.
Speaker 1: Other than that, that's it.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's got to you know, we got to get ourselves out there and then we guys got to fill that ball. It wasn't anything that they did where I thought affected us on the play.
Speaker 1: It's just, uh, you know, we.
Speaker 3: Gotta we gotta fill that ball.
Speaker 5: Guess what if you're going out towards how you do want.
Speaker 1: It's in this game.
Speaker 6: Week prior with the.
Speaker 7: Raiders and Ers, how you go?
Speaker 1: No, I thought it was. I thought it was a lot better.
Speaker 3: Obviously, a ball ball location is something that we preach on a lot of you know, where the ball is and things like that. But but for us to go out there and limit Cavante Turp into zero yards return.
Speaker 1: That is a that is a great That is a great.
Speaker 3: Day for our for our punt coverage unit because we also because we know how dangerous of a returner he is. And again it starts, it starts with us one protecting the punt because Dalla has been a great rush team, us protecting the punt, and then everybody just selling out on the coverage and not allowing them to get any return yard. So from that standpoint, I thought Jordan did a great job. Even the ball that got hit in the middle of the field, you know, he puts enough hangtime on it's a five point three ball that gives our gunners an opportunity to get down the field and it allows the net to get down.
Speaker 1: There and coverage and force fair catch.
Speaker 3: So all in all, you know, I think he's he's getting better, but we still we're still chasing again, perfect execution every time we out there, and and and proper ball placements.
Speaker 8: In made clear with us if the missed kicks they are solely on him that he's just missing them and he's you know, they're all why everything else is executting exactly as you would hope?
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 5: Do you concur with that?
Speaker 9: I do you know?
Speaker 3: And uh, you know, no one knows better than than than Justin, right, Uh so with what Justin says and and and what Justin believes, that's probably one hundred percent accurate. And it's our job to just to keep encouraging him. Uh again, we trust him. We believe in him all right, because we know he's gonna get this thing figured out and then the ball will be going right where we want it to go. So we'll just keep sending him out there and that thing, uh, it'll get itself fixed.
Speaker 10: When you have a guy like Tuckle's been so good throughout his career and he's having the struggles he's having, now, do you know when to jump in and say something on No, when to jump in and coach him to you just trust that he'll figure.
Speaker 5: It out on his own.
Speaker 3: It's not that he's got to he's got to so much figure it out on his own because he is He has Randy and he has Sam here with him, right, So, so when there is something that they might see Uh, he has another set of eyes on the kicks and things like that, so they kind of get him advice to kind of, you know, on some things that they're seeing. But but but ultimately, because he has been so successful and people aren't accustomed to this, like it's we we think that these things shouldn't happen, right, but but he is human and and and these things do happen. So just like he said, he's got to find himself. He's got to get himself back in his rhythm, and we all believe and have faith and know that that will get done.
Speaker 1: Next up is offensive coordinator Todd Monkin.
Speaker 5: Die as far as the obviously up against Dallas, what did you see in the execution from the offensive line this week? Then maybe the Creeds companies.
Speaker 11: Well, I thought we were just cleaner overalls and offense. We were cleaner. Not perfect by any means, but we were cleaner. And I thought we raised the floor on our perimeter blocking. I thought that made a big difference, you know, in terms of guys on the perimeter.
Speaker 7: Didn't matter what it was.
Speaker 11: It didn't matter if it was QB driven or if it was Derek, you know, breaking through the line of scrimmage and Nelson downfield. I just thought we took a real step in terms of, you know, where our guys were and where they got to this past week.
Speaker 8: To buy in from those guys, from your receivers and tell you us to block the way that they do, especially in the game where they're not getting you know, throw the ball fifteen times, and how you think you must take a lot of pride in that knowing everyone's going to buy in and say either it's fine today is maybe I'm not going to catch a bunch of ballerm.
Speaker 11: Gonna do with no that's been coaching skill guys my whole life. That's that's a hard deal. That's a hard that's a hard sell when you know a lot of their pride and and what they get paid to do is showcase their skill set.
Speaker 7: I don't care what position you play, you want to you want to touch the football.
Speaker 11: But it said a lot about those guys that in that moment, however long the game is for three hours, that it's about team. It's about what I can do right now to help the Ravens win. And that's been a staple this organization for years is then we can figure out afterwards, Hey, how can we get other guys involved? But at that moment, that's what that's what I control as an individual player, what's called to execute at the highest level, and that thinking it says a lot about those guys.
Speaker 12: Tody, this as challenge.
Speaker 13: Of build defensive ways that the three previous teams that they've competed against were. The other teams tend to throw the ball as the numbers more and they have a higher depth target airy yards.
Speaker 12: So this is an depopic so that it's different.
Speaker 3: In those reports.
Speaker 11: Well, again, our sample sizes three games and their sample size is one game eat, So I'm not saying that who we are now and who they are then each game presents different challenges of how we're going to attack them. There's certain aspects of Arizona that you take from. There's certain aspects of Miami you know that you like, and there's certain things that you know of what went on last week and then last year. So there's there's a number of things we'll take from that, but we certainly have to continue to build on what we've done so far and continue to play clean football.
Speaker 7: That that's what's when you turn on the tape, you want it to look like you want it to look like.
Speaker 11: And that's that's an easy statement, but when you're going against the best in the world, a little harder than it seems. But for our guys, we've had a great week of practice last week and we've already started this week with two great days.
Speaker 7: So I look forward to playing Sunday night, living.
Speaker 12: Those lines of records and such. Why did Mark Andrews play, you know, fewer snaps than stall.
Speaker 7: Oh, I don't know. I didn't even know he did.
Speaker 11: I mean, I you know, game plan wise, some of that comes into play. We were in a little bit more you personnel, I guess twenty two personnel, And when Charlie's in and Pat's in, that's only one of the other tight ends, so that that's gonna shrink that in the other games, we're in a lot of two minutes, we're in a lot of no huddle, there's a lot more throws, which is gonna you know, and we didn't.
Speaker 7: Have as many snaps. I mean all that's part of it.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 7: We we think a lot of Mark.
Speaker 11: We anticipated Mark having opportunities that just didn't Like all of our guys, they didn't get the opportunities they were open for other than maybe Charlie.
Speaker 12: And then John has talked about penalties and obviously they need to cut them out. Curious as a coach, for example, you guys had seven or eight offensive holding calls. Some of those are probably gonna be questionable. But as a coach, what do you do to try to eliminate all these things when.
Speaker 9: There's the pressure?
Speaker 12: How do you how do you try to some cut those things out?
Speaker 11: Well, the first thing you do is obviously they're not intentional, but you show them the tape, show them what they're calling, where their hands, where their body placement is, because that's a part of it.
Speaker 7: Did we get out of position? Right? Was it a call that put them out of position? You know?
Speaker 11: All those things are part of it, you know. And then just making sure that those things, like like anything that we do technique wise or schematically, as you try to get it corrected, as you've show them the film, what is body position, hand placement?
Speaker 7: What is it schematically? And how can we get it fixed?
Speaker 11: Because playing clean football, eliminating the penalties will allow us to not waste yards, if that makes sense.
Speaker 7: We've got a lot of yards.
Speaker 11: Okay, Now, how do we how do we turn that into functional directed yards and tournamented points, because that's really what it's about, you know, it's about scoring points.
Speaker 10: Are tough after the game Sunday and even when we spoke on yesterday about just continuing to score points even when you guys have the lead that you had on Sunday. When you're calling the game, especially this past Sunday, late in that game, how do you do you feel like you're calling it to kind of just keep the cloud going? Are you and do you feel like you're you were aggressive with the play calls in the back.
Speaker 5: End of the game.
Speaker 11: The only one that that that I would say wasn't nearly as aggressive as I wanted would have been the third down call before the field goal attempt. That one there was really okay, if we get it, if not, you know, it gets us to a four score game. Really is what what we were thinking. Sure, there's out of sixty calls, there's a number of calls I always wish like, Okay, would have done that different, would have done that different. That's just human. That's never going to change. Never, It's not the first or the last time. The next drive that we got it you know, we just didn't convert on third down. The next drive that we got it on third down, we did throw it. And then you know, to me, the other thing is trusting the players because like I told the guys, like the last play of the of the game, that sealed it. To me, that's not conservative in that call, because you're going to trust your players for ball, ball handling and security because you're not just handing the ball off, You're you're reading it, You're you're putting it in, and you gotta trust the players because you can't put the ball on the ground right. So to me, those are plays that do take that. And sure I don't disagree with Lamar. We want to keep the pedal down because you don't want to leave even the door open. So I'm not disagreeing there. And there are certain calls I wish we could have been a little bit more aggressive.
Speaker 5: You know, as you touch upon it, the Lamar's ball handling, how much do you think that is an advantage because other teams don't see it that all time.
Speaker 11: Well, I think it's an advantage and he embraces that. He does a great job with it. We had last year early in the season we weren't as clean, you know. I remember Detroit, We're up twenty eight, nothing going in to make it thirty five. We had exchange issue. Have forgotten that one, you know, even at that moment, you know, so you got to trust the guys, and Lamar is a big part of that. Our backs are a big part of that. Zay is a big part of that. Little Zay because he's a part of that. So those guys embracing ball security, and that's that's a big weapon, you know, for us to be able to utilize, and Lamar embraces that.
Speaker 14: The ability of your tight ends to block out on the form and we saw a number of those kind of blocks of Dallas. How big a difference is that made for what you're able to call as the coordinator.
Speaker 11: Oh, it makes a huge difference. It shrinks the number of plays you have to call. I mean the reality is is space down here creates space at the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 7: I mean, all you have to do is look at the very first drive, the very first drive.
Speaker 11: Nelson Aguilar gets pressed, he runs the corner off twenty five yards, he's off the screen. That's selfless. I mean, that's a credit to him. You can only say it so much, but that shows it. And then we got on the perimeter and Zay made a block and then the touchdown was Mark Anzay.
Speaker 7: So all of that is a big part of it.
Speaker 11: Derek's ron to start the second half, Nelson gets a block down field because you don't ever know, I mean, you don't want to waste opportunities to have to call more plays. Right, it happened to them, right, I mean you never know. I mean you never know. You might have am kicking a field goal, might get a turnover. So all of that plays into team football in terms of gaining the optimal amount.
Speaker 7: Of yards that they're willing to give you.
Speaker 11: And when you don't do that, you're not getting the optimal amount of yards that you're looking for. And again that's a credit to those guys. And it made a bit a huge difference, not a big different, a huge difference.
Speaker 6: I think, just one downfield completion for for the Lamar so far of the season. Do you feel like defenses are defending you guys any differently because we haven't shown yet that you know, big playability or is it's still the same kind of thing.
Speaker 15: From week to wei.
Speaker 7: Well, I don't. I mean, I don't.
Speaker 11: Sometimes it's situationally, sometimes it's defense, sometimes it's we didn't complete it, you know all the above. Are we looking to throw the ball down the field like every team, Yes, of course so, but efficiency is big too. And again, the first two games we had thirty three snaps of two minutes. You're not really going to be that's not going to come up. Even though it did debate we did have a play of Kansas City that way. But we're certainly looking to do that and push it down the field, and when the opportunity rises, will do that a little bit.
Speaker 5: Front seven, it seems like they're a team that just they play those two safeties back and kind of trust these guys up front.
Speaker 11: They do a great job mixing up the front with it and subtle little things that make it difficult. You think you're gonna get I don't want to say it like a big run and it just like a vacuum kind of sucks.
Speaker 7: And it also it's a four yard game. It's a five yard game.
Speaker 11: You thought, Well, they do a good job of triggering their nickel, They do a good job of triggering their safeties.
Speaker 7: They do a good job with.
Speaker 11: Their run fits, so it feels like, oh wow, and Nelson, you look at it's a second and five and it wasn't second and two. I think they do a great, great job playing off each other. They've been doing that ever since coach has been there. I mean I was in Cleveland and twenty, you know, nineteen, and they did that. We played them then. So they do a great job. They do a great job playing off each other. They play hard, they're hard to attack.
Speaker 1: Now we're here from defensive coordinator Zach Orr.
Speaker 6: Uh Khalil secure catches pretty much everything Josh Allen throws. And what what makes their connections so uh so good?
Speaker 16: I think, uh, he just he's just where he's supposed to be at in the in the route concepts, and he makes plays for him. I mean, I remember a couple of years ago he made a big I wanna say it might have been a third down conversion against us here at home, and that's when we first found out about him, and you it's it's crazy to see how much his game has grown. Uh But I think that you could say that about the whole receiving corps.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 16: They they they they tough guys. They are where they supposed to be at in the route concepts. They make the plays when Josh gives him the opportunity and then they they're good rat guys. So, uh, we respect those guys obviously. We know, uh, Secure is the the lead and receiver and you know they're gonna try to find ways to give him the football, so we have to make sure that we're ready for that.
Speaker 1: Zach.
Speaker 2: Uh, you know, he completely passioned ten different guys last week. He's always been, you know, a heck of a quarterback. But do you see a kind of difference with him like this year maybe a different approach and than and so and what.
Speaker 1: Way I think?
Speaker 16: I mean, I think, yeah, he's he's a heck of a player. I just think that he's spreading the ball out more. You really don't understand. You really don't know where the ball is gonna go.
Speaker 1: Like all his.
Speaker 16: Receivers are you know, are liable to get the ball at any situation at any point in time, including the running backs, including the tight ends. So you know that's what makes them a tough offensive defend. Besides what he does, uh with his arm and his legs. So I think that you know, in in years past, you know, he actually had a Pro Bowl All Pro receiver who you kind of sometimes in certain situations lock in and key in on. Now these guys, you know, he's spreading the ballground I think even more.
Speaker 2: Zach.
Speaker 17: Obviously, the defense played very well for for three quarters in Dallas.
Speaker 5: What did you make of the fourth quarter?
Speaker 17: Why was it such a start contrast that you guys played so well and then had such difficulty lay.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I think it just comes down to execution, man, and we we just got to get better. And I think I gotta, you know, help those guys out even more. Just have a clear understanding of the situation and what we're trying to get accomplished in those situations. It's not a lack of guys wanting to or trying to, you know, we just we just come up short in in that area. And it's something that we're looking at hard, something that we're focusing on with the communication, with the with the tackling, you know, with the calls with me as well. So, uh, we all in this together. Uh we grinding to try to make it right. We know, we know we're capable of doing, but we have to do it for four quarters and we haven't done at the last two games. And you know, that's that's that's that's where we're at right now, and that's what that's what we're so motivated to to to get better at and to show that we can put a complete game together.
Speaker 8: In particular, in the middle of the field of fifteen to twenty yards they're with they're consistent hit.
Speaker 1: What was there was that?
Speaker 8: What would what would you describe out with that specific part.
Speaker 1: Cho is it?
Speaker 16: Yeah, man, I mean you know some of it. Some of it I would say, is you know, good good call on offense versus what what we're in as a defense. So sometimes that happens. You know, you make a call and they're in the okay, they're in a good play for that that coverage or that pressure. And then sometimes we just gotta play some we gotta play some techniques better, and we gotta coach some techniques better.
Speaker 14: You know.
Speaker 1: Obviously we talk about it.
Speaker 16: The middle of the field is the easiest part for the quarterbacks to complete the pass. So we want to pack the paint and we haven't done a good enough job of doing that this year. So like, uh, it goes in the same deal as filling finishing games. I think that goes hand in hand.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 16: We have to protect the middle of the field, make the quarterbacks throw the ball outside and you know, take our chances with.
Speaker 12: That good linebackers getting deep up.
Speaker 1: Uh, I think, I think so.
Speaker 16: I think it's a combination. Sometimes it's like that's and that's what we're trying to It's like right now we're lighting the match and it's it's stand lidded, it's getting a spark, but then it's blowing out. So sometimes you know, the backers we're getting we're getting deep enough and we're too deep in the back end, or we're not getting deep enough, you know, as as backers. So like I said, man, it's something it's a collective effort. It's not just you know, it's not just a linebackers. It's not just the DB's a lot of times it's it's the you know, the call as well. So we're all trying to collaborate and work together to make this thing right.
Speaker 9: Is it a.
Speaker 17: Challenge to not overcorrect because so many things are going well through three quarters to not dwell too much on that, but also you want to recognize you need to finish him.
Speaker 16: Yeah, definitely, you don't wanna, you don't want to overcorrect because most teams, they change, they make a little small adjustments here and there throughout the game, and you notice, you notice that, you know, we knew the adjustments that they were making, so you know, obviously we could have we could have done some things better. But as soon as you start overreacting, that's what you know, teams kind of want you to do.
Speaker 1: You start overacting that, and now you leave.
Speaker 16: Yourself vulnerable in another situation and you give up an explosive. So it's trying to find a happy medium of you know what, what's the problem, what's the issue, how they're trying to attack, and how we how we're gonna counter react to it.
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 6: Believe we look at the at the PFF stuff for certain guys, and I think one of the interesting it's like splits, I guess you want to call it, is Marcus Williams playing more in the box than than he ever has. Is that just you guys trying to figure out where he's best, where he's most unpredictable, and how would you kind of assess how he's done in.
Speaker 9: All these different sponsors.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I think that the one thing you you don't want to do as a defense is where they can just peg where the offense can peg where guys are at. If they know where guy's going to be at every single time, now they can scheme you up a whole bunch of different ways. So, uh, Marcus is a talented guy. He's been on the heck of a job for us this year. And uh, you know, all our guys in the back end can play in the box, they can play deep, So we let those guys do that.
Speaker 7: You played a lot of time against the Cowboys?
Speaker 5: Was that more reaction to what you anticipated from them?
Speaker 13: Was it more you wanted to get a guy like ourd Areas on the field.
Speaker 17: He obviously played well, and then what was the kind of the infidence for that?
Speaker 16: Yes, it's a it's a combination of it's a combination of both. You know, we had to die package ready because you know the Cowboys they did They've shown you know, a lot of four wives on film. They spread the ball out and throw the ball.
Speaker 7: And it's a.
Speaker 16: Combination of of what they do and what we want to do on defense and getting different guys out there on the field like eighty Eddie Jackson. These guys are real good football players, so it'll be kind of you know, criminal to keep those guys on the sideline the whole time.
Speaker 1: But it it's a mixture of both.
Speaker 4: The second the last touchdown, you know, I think Rokon was maybe expecting Marlin to trail the guy over the middle and he was wide open. Do you think communication is an issue or do you think a couple of times where the communication wasn't perfect that the good quarterbacks capitalize.
Speaker 1: No, I don't.
Speaker 16: I don't think communication. I mean it's it's it's something we're striving for all the time. That's like one of our main things we talk about great communication because that's half the battle. Make sure everybody on the same page. And you know if you if you're not on the same page, you're not gonna really have a chance. But obviously when you have a misstep, shoot any quarterback in the league, specifically you know, the real good ones, they're gonna capitalize on that. You know, on that on that play right there, I'll take that one. I wouldn't put that on row Or or Marlin.
Speaker 13: Soach defenses have been, you know, trying to disguise more and more, especially with the last seasons. Do you think that there's a challenge of having too much of a disguise or trying to be to give off a facade of different defenses to it. Can it Can it be punishing for you or a negative?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 16: Sometimes if if you got, if you have, if you have, if you're doing way too much of it. You know, we always talk about never let your disguise, you know, take you away from your responsibility. So I think we do a heck of a job here mayoring our looks up so offenses don't know exactly what we're in, you know. The tough the challenge of that is these offenses and these quarterbacks, if they know what you're in, they're just gonna check the play and check to the beater of it. So you got you can't just give them the answer all the time pre snap. But there is some you know, there is some merit to getting where you got to get to and just and just playing ball and just out executing. Uh, the person across from.
Speaker 8: You, James Cook is really elevated their run game before you in the run game is Josh Allen, And then they would throw. But how it's that dynamic can affected your game planning for them.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I mean it's it's a lot more running runs with the running backs. I think James Cook has has elevated himself to one of the top backs in the league. He's explosive player. We knew about him a couple of years ago coming out of Georgia, and I think he's just matured in his you know, in his play with experience, his confidence is through the roof, and the talent has always been there. So he's definitely put it all together and he's somebody that we're gonna have to make sure that we have a handle on, not only in the run game, but in the past game as well, because I've seen a lot of explosive plays with him come out of the backfield, running forty yards down the field tracking the ball, which is which is very impressive. So you know, we got a lot of respect for what he's done so far this year. So it's something that we're gonna have to be ready for.
Speaker 13: Zach the Bill's offense is one of the best NFL in the red zone. Just how challenging he is to account for because as you mentioned, Josh Allen's spreading it out there work and then he's also somebody you have to account for the red zone loves to watch himself in there. What are the challenges of trying to solve that alsible?
Speaker 16: It's real challenging because whenever the whenever you got a quarterback who can throw the ball like he can, but also they have designed QB runs, that's an extra hat, so you have to account for that most times, just if you just call a regular defense, you don't have an extra hat for the quarterback on designed runs. We're not just talking about regular zone read runs. We're talking about like QB counter QB power, like real deal, you know, downhill runs. So that's what makes it challenging. So as soon as you put everybody in there stop to run, Well, he's still a quarterback, he can still throw the ball. So I think it comes down to us executing, us making us understanding, you know, where we got to be at and what plays they're trying to do in these certain situations, to make sure that we have everybody accounted for as well as him accounted for in the run game. So they definitely stretch you as a defense. But you know, I think we got guys that are up for the challenge and that that can handle it.
Speaker 2: In the locker room, we heard from rookie cornerback Nate Wiggins.
Speaker 5: You see you've got me right.
Speaker 12: So it's a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 7: Just start to see that happened.
Speaker 5: Uh, Yeah, I was driving and uh.
Speaker 18: At eighteen would have cut me out of the world.
Speaker 2: Be part of it.
Speaker 6: That was scary?
Speaker 18: Uh is that situation that was scary and it was always scared to get them carson A sixteen?
Speaker 12: Where did where did it happened? Was at six eighty five? Yeah, I really don't remember.
Speaker 18: It's right. I was close to my partner, like two insay from my apartment.
Speaker 8: Be able to get back from that another on the field as quickly as you were. I mean, it's gotta be satisfying, easier to put that behind you the right when you get back on the field.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 18: Once I h once I knew I can get back on the side, I knew I was one hundred percent. That was Uh, everybody was happy, and that was everybody.
Speaker 8: Said last week, A lot of you, a lot of potentials.
Speaker 7: How you forced to fumble a big play and make a few plays on you? What are your big takeaways from that stress?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 18: I just gotta keep working. Keep Uh that my first first role uh professional game, Like just like playing plays, so I just gotta keep uh keep working. I think it was a London experience, so like I just get better from better from.
Speaker 10: Nothing from not from that for they ever weeks of challenge.
Speaker 7: What are you see from Josh Allen and getting him the way he's.
Speaker 18: Been playing, especially since you Yeah, h uh he a great quarterback. Uh, a great quarterback.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 18: He loved to run.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 18: I mean he gonna throw a deep so I mean we gotta cover uh and we just gotta uh pursue him. And you know he uh he l loves get out of the pocket and he loved to run, So we just gotta pursue him.
Speaker 14: If you got a lot of wide receivers to learn from better than ceedee lamb, what is going through your head when you line up op opposite of him?
Speaker 18: Uh, it's just my mindset. Uh, it's going to the game every week. I just gotta shut or to receive it down. Uh, no matter who it is. Uh Uh I think I can guard anybody in this league.
Speaker 17: Uh.
Speaker 18: I don't think nobody can run pass me. And that's what I take. I'm comfort is and that's where I'll go into the game.
Speaker 14: You're obviously known for your speed. You can keep up with anybody in press coverage. You know, they were kind of getting those slants. Was it kind of a lesson with you that, Hey, I'm really fast, I can run with them, but I gotta be physical at the line.
Speaker 18: Yeah, that's my That was the listen for Nigga and just a bit Fish goes on screen.
Speaker 12: We're freeing solid to what career?
Speaker 7: What's your what are your most please website far consternas of.
Speaker 18: Just being able just to go out there and repeat, all right, I always do it, man I The uh my comforting level just just mines. I think that that man I do.
Speaker 1: We also talked to offensive guard Daniel.
Speaker 8: Yeah, when you look at what the challenges this week, bos front seven is really impressive and they're gonna sit back.
Speaker 1: In two deep and so you can you know, kind of had to handle that.
Speaker 7: How do you feel about it?
Speaker 15: For me, I'm just gonna trust my technique, trust my coaching, and trust each other and work and get the job done.
Speaker 14: Like what do you see ahead Oliver their defensive lineman.
Speaker 15: He's really explosive, really good player, and uh yeah, it's a really good player, gonna be a good challenge and for me is trust my technique, trust one being coached, and get the job done.
Speaker 14: Does this feel this week feel differently for you mentally than last week? Did?
Speaker 17: Uh?
Speaker 15: Definitely just want to keep getting better and just having a lot more confidence in myself and just keep going, keep stacking.
Speaker 1: We also heard from cornerback Brandon Stevens, h.
Speaker 16: What do you see out of Josh Allen and just kind of that offense rolling in.
Speaker 9: Here for something that Yeah, man, they you know, good good offense obviously you know good quarterback as well.
Speaker 1: But you know it's.
Speaker 9: Honestly it's not about to inSpot us uh, and you know how we go out there execute.
Speaker 6: What's the biggest thing with with Josh?
Speaker 12: You know, kind of like Lamar, I mean the plays never really over. Yeah, what what's the biggest thing about defending a guy who can get outside the pockets still have the ability to throw the field.
Speaker 9: Yeah, well, I mean he's got the got the arms right, know how to knows how to you know, extend plays, you know, one place break down and they they've done a good time with that, you know, creating big plays. You know when things break down.
Speaker 14: I know a lot of people were talking about the fourth quarter, but for three quarters, you for stack into a lot of really difficult throwers, had really take coverage on them. Even though you know, I'm sure you didn't feel great coming out of the game how it finished. Did you feel like it was a step forward for the secondary in Dallas?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Kind of.
Speaker 9: You know, we we were showing there, you know, three quarters, and then the fourth quarter we kind of, you know, almost let it get away from us. But you know, we just got to get the player style of the ball, you know, all the way you know through fourth quarters, right, I knew every game is different, but when you look at the the ones you have played and the way the offense is attacking the middle of the field with kind of that short success.
Speaker 11: In between the numbers, how you how can you defend that.
Speaker 8: Or or shore that up a little bit that offenses can't make those.
Speaker 7: Plays in the middle.
Speaker 9: Just playing out style of the ball. I I'm not quite sure what plays you you know you're talking about, but uh to simple answer, we just gotta play our soil of the ball and eliminate you know, uh, exposive plays and you know, l you know, eliminating the short throws, turning into exposive plays.
Speaker 3: When you watch the Bills and see what they're they're doing, the drash out like no interceptions, just kind of what stands out and said something that they're doing, it allows it to have that type of success.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Uh, you know, like I said, they they know how to extend plays and you know when plays break down, you know lad and late in the play. You know, they did a good job of you know, getting open, getting into his vision and you know, making that throw downfield.
Speaker 10: The Brandy Black has been a big part of their offense. Is open field tackling.
Speaker 11: Been in emphasis at all.
Speaker 9: So nah, I mean, we we know what we have to do. We know that, you know, we got we gotta stable tackle, We gotta you know, make tight covers, you know, on their receivers and just make it hard for the receivers and the quarterback.
Speaker 14: It's the first few games, you know, you knew they were gonna go to DeVante Adams.
Speaker 12: You knew they're gonna throw the ceedee lamb.
Speaker 14: You know, the Bills suddenly have one guy over a hundred receiving yards so far with so many weapons and the way they spread the ball around. Is Is that a harder just different challenge?
Speaker 12: What does it feel different from the earlier game?
Speaker 15: Nah?
Speaker 9: Not really, you know it's I we we try not to focus on you know, players, We try to focus on ourselves, man.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 9: And that's that's what I try to do. It doesn't matter who I'm going against. You know, I'm trying to, you know, make make it as tight as possible to you know, c you know, complete the pass and so you know that that's my goal, that's our goal, and that's how we approach every week.
Speaker 12: Last one of the UK Rade Require episode.
Speaker 16: You as a kid walking up.
Speaker 14: When you see that, what goes.
Speaker 13: Through your mind?
Speaker 4: You like your life from you out?
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's crazy. It's Uh. It was actually my dad that said that in that video.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 9: I think I was about eight years old, and you know, as a kid when he's saying that, he's just like, yeah, whatever, you know what I mean. But it's it's it's crazy cause he's been he's been holding onto that video for for that long however many years it's been. I think it was eighteen years and he he sent it to me, uh, a couple of days before the game. That was my first time like seeing it ever and so, uh, you know, it gave me goosebumps, uh to you know, to finally be you know, to be able to play you you know, in my hometown against the Cowboys. So it was it was definitely surreal for me.
Speaker 1: Was you Dad there? Yeah?
Speaker 9: Absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Press Past podcast. Make sure you listen to this feed and the Lounge feed. Thanks for listening, and tune in again tomorrow