Speaker 1: Nikki Guiser Podcast. Here's Nikki.
Speaker 2: Hello here, I am welcome to the show. It's Nicky Gazer Podcast. I am here in studio in Saint Louis in person with Brian Francie.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, this is the second or third time I'm here in this studio. For those of you watching at home on YouTube, the space does not feel anything like what it looks like on screen.
Speaker 1: Really, it's just does that mean?
Speaker 2: I mean behind the cameras is a mess. I mean it's like a hoarder's apartment. Like there's just so much shit, like anything we need to move out of the way.
Speaker 1: When we have company over, we just throw in here. You know. It's like a junk drawer of a room.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, Like this side is like Michael's crafts and that side is like Hurricane Helen. Yeah, I know, but it feels it's it's simultaneu bigger and smaller than you would think it would be. Oh, like you feel like it's when when I'm watching you on the screen, which I do twice a week. Yeah, I'm always like it feels like you're in like a gigantic room in my mind. Whoa yeah, And then you get in here and you're like, well, this is actually not It's kind of like anything you see, like if you had to mount Rushmore and you look at it and everything smaller. Oh, that's tiny.
Speaker 2: Everything smaller, Like every you know, whenever you do a late night show, whenever you go to a studio taping or something, everything's always smaller. And then sometimes people are bigger than you think they would be.
Speaker 3: Sometimes like Noah, taller.
Speaker 1: Taller, that's right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when I saw you for the first time two weeks ago, I was like, wow, she's much taller than I thought.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: People tell me I sometimes they say I'm taller, sometimes they say I'm shorter, sometimes they say I'm prettier.
Speaker 3: Is it I'm saying it that facetiously?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, you're much in person.
Speaker 3: That's not nice. That's not mean, it's weird.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I guess I take it as a compliment because it means like on TV, obviously I'm done up and really pretty. So when you're seeing me in person, I'm generally not. I'm doing either doing it myself or I'm not, and so that always I always do feel flattered by it. But I am a little bit like, huh, why wasn't I have that like a.
Speaker 3: Built in surprise to it that that type of compliment is like I thought you would be uglier. That's what it implies.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's a good point.
Speaker 3: Now that I'm seeing you surprised that you're prettier and pretty in person, I thought you'd be disgusting.
Speaker 1: I don't think it they're thinking.
Speaker 4: I think people when they meet Nikki in person, like you have that, like Jenna se Quah, there's like something about you that's like that like radiates, So when people see you, you're like captivating in person.
Speaker 2: That I've never heard that in my light head. Yes who yes, well, because I am.
Speaker 1: I am. Honestly.
Speaker 2: I got the darkest right hand ever got in my life last night because it was a teenager working at the place and she kind of didn't know what she was doing and it was just going on too light, and I was like, I can't beat her all night. So I was just, you know, like I feel bad for teenagers sometimes. Because I was reading this study about when people feel what is it when they It's called languishing.
Speaker 1: I didn't read something.
Speaker 2: I listened to a podcast about languish. It's not depression, but it's just like feeling like you don't have anything.
Speaker 3: That was very popular during COVID.
Speaker 1: Yes We're languishing. Yes.
Speaker 2: So I listened to this Hidden Brain podcast about it with Sean Garvvy Dentin, and I love his name.
Speaker 3: And so Harvey Dent is a villain from.
Speaker 1: Sean Garvey Denton. I think, is how that's quite a name. It's amazing.
Speaker 2: So he was talking to this expert about languishing and the guy was describing depression. It just sounded like depression, but he said that it really affects people in their twenties and then in their elderly age, because when you're young, no one really trusts you. Everyone's kind of rolling their eyes at you. You feel like you have so long to go for you can actually be taken seriously. And I kind of felt that last night. I was kind of judging this girl for being so young. She had like her homework out, like she was definitely like a high school student with like a high school sweatshirt on, and so I didn't I just as soon as we got in there, I well, first of all, she just kind of put me in there and didn't tell me the things that I know she does. I've never been there before. So first of all, she did not give me. It's thirty five dollars for your first time. I saw the sign. Later I paid fifty. She didn't give me the first time, even though she said, is this your first.
Speaker 1: Time here and entered all my information.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then she didn't put the lotion on my fingers. She didn't tell me to put like she she just assumed. She didn't assume I knew, because she didn't know.
Speaker 1: I knew, right, but I knew.
Speaker 2: So I got in there and I did everything, put the hairnut on, put the you know, lotion on my fingers, everything. And then she gets in there and she's and I'm like this poor seventeen year old girl who has to like look at my naked, elderly body. Like not so it's like a bad body, but it's like she shouldn't have to see naked people yet at her age, Like that's like something that you do when you learn a trade, you become a nurse, you kind of become immune to seeing naked.
Speaker 3: You need to be like a fifty something year old immigrant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure you could be, but I think you just I don't think teenagers should be looking.
Speaker 3: At old Nahould be scooping ice cream for the summer, yes.
Speaker 2: And putting it on, slapping on that thing and saying what do you want to and then ringing the bell and they sing for you.
Speaker 3: That's all right.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: They should be lazily putting together sandwiches.
Speaker 3: Should be high, yes, And they were like, I hope I get to eat some rocky road in the back while I look at pictures of the guy I'm crushing on.
Speaker 2: They should be barely taking your order as they look at their phone, and instead she was doing homework and then she wow came like I saw things out like I don't mind it when I see it because it's kind of adorable. And I'm like, oh my god, I can't believe she's just not on her phone. Whenever teenagers aren't on the phone, I'm blown away. When they're like talking to each other and laughing and giggling like like kind of nineties style, I'm just like, I can't believe it because I don't.
Speaker 1: Even do that shit anymore.
Speaker 3: No, God, it's sad.
Speaker 2: They never knew to do it, so where did they pick that up? So anyway, maybe they're just sick of it, maybe because there it's not novelty to them. They grew up with this.
Speaker 3: Maybe there's a part of them that's like, you know what, it feels good and is cool to not have my phone.
Speaker 1: That would be really great.
Speaker 3: But that's a little optimistic.
Speaker 1: It is, but it does happen.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you see teens like present and not on their phones and like talking to each other. So she came in and I was immediately like, can you go darker? I'm sorry, I needed darker. Like I was just like telling her what to do, and she was all for it. She was like, I want to get out of here too much, and so she doused me as I wanted to be doused. And then I got home and it was so dark. I'm the color of my dog. I mean, it's it's insane.
Speaker 1: I And I.
Speaker 2: Got this new tan remover though that like removes it. So I slapped that on today and like got some of it off. But I am darker than I've ever ever been.
Speaker 1: And she gets the spray tan for oh, we're being a thing today.
Speaker 2: Brian's in town to shoot a that you know, I do the Thursday night football thing this week. It's going to be on Friday, and because it's a really packed game.
Speaker 1: They didn't.
Speaker 2: They wanted us to maybe do a pre tape thing that they can just roll into the show instead of producing while we're there. And it saves us going to Kansas City on Friday right after Thanksgiving, Like we would have had to fly in on Thanksgiving. It would have been just I feel bad for all of them that have to give up their Thanksgiving. Yeah, thousands of dollars they're making. Is it less pressure? Like without it's like more pressure. It is way less fun. Like I was like, this sucks it really, it shucks pree tape because we have a new bit like before we were roasting the game, and it usually airs after the game, after even like most of the after show, So it's usually coming on at like eleven eleven thirty at night. So you can be a little bit more you know, out there.
Speaker 3: More toasty, as they say in the biz.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can be a you know how they say.
Speaker 2: That this is a day game Black Friday.
Speaker 1: Families are going to be at home.
Speaker 3: Families will gather around the television set waiting for Nicki's bit to pop up, And so she goes up there and says my vagina. Then they're gonna there's gonna be letters written into Amazon.
Speaker 1: Who said it's not gonna be good.
Speaker 3: I don't watch Amazon to hear some woman call Aaron Rodgers a cunt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can't do that in the daytime.
Speaker 2: Okay, the gold Dog is chewing on a cord and I don't really know what to do with it because it's so cute. You've ever seen talks of doing something dangerous, but it's so cute. You let it happens.
Speaker 1: Employee, you deserve, You want to get out. Hold on.
Speaker 3: GOLDI is real cute.
Speaker 4: Did you spend a lot of time with her this weekend? Were you with NICKI the whole weekend?
Speaker 1: BRIANO yesterday? So Sean and I were in It was really good.
Speaker 2: Alabama and Memphis. Yeah, Birmingham Memphis two of the best shows of my life.
Speaker 1: I think, honestly, I'm not even joking.
Speaker 3: It was so slid towards working out.
Speaker 2: It's really coming together as it's ending, it's coming together. Yeah, but it's really been These shows have been so fun. So yeah, Shawn and I flew into Saint Louis yesterday. Seawan is here, Brian's here, and then Bob Bob our friend who's a writer on the tn F Things Thursday Night Football tis.
Speaker 1: His last name gas Strone.
Speaker 2: I met Bob gas Strone. All these people I know for so long. Brian I met in two thousand and ten, around then nine or ten, yeah, nine, Sean I met on MySpace in two thousand and five or six. And then Bob Gastrone I met in two thousand and four Fall.
Speaker 1: He was a blogger for not for Me college college.
Speaker 2: I was in Yeah, I would say my junior year of college fall, so yeah, that would have been fall two thousand and four.
Speaker 1: I met Bob.
Speaker 2: He was a blogger living in New York City, and he blogged for Best Week Ever for VH one, and they blog and he would blog for them, and I loved Best Week Ever. It was like my favorite show. And then I would read the blog and the blog was really funny. And then he had his own personal blog called my blog is Poop dot blogsplot dot com perfect, and my.
Speaker 1: Blog is Poop was so funny.
Speaker 2: He would just write these really amazing essays just about like being in your twenties in New York and just like the culture and to be the man. He wrote a whole essay about the onus where it's like it was before, like the whole thing of like you can't text them back, they haven't texted you. Like in a relationship, there's always someone with the onus. And he wrote this whole thing that was really like it got a lot of traction back then. What kind of viral about like relationships when they're starting out and even when they you know, throughout a relationship, someone's always got the onus, someone's in charge.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's like the hand in Seinfeld.
Speaker 1: Oh oh yeah, you got to have the hand.
Speaker 3: You gotta have the hand. Yes, So he this is more that was more about relationships. Bob's thing is more about friendships.
Speaker 2: It sounds no, it sounds like relationship relationship. Yeah, so he just ripped off SI.
Speaker 3: Well no, the hand is just back. Just to defend Bob. Hand is when you have the upper hand and you have you're holding something over somebody and so you have the power and onus means it sounds like you owe somebody something, you're responsible for delivering something to them.
Speaker 1: Burden is on you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, is a burden. Hand is power.
Speaker 2: I can't find any evidence of my blog is poop on I mean it literally, my blog is poop Bob Kestrone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was so obsessed with it.
Speaker 3: The internet does does? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well, isn't there like a website you can use the way back?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: I was looking in news.
Speaker 2: Okay, Oh, here I found it. I think my blog is poop? No, it's is it Gothamus?
Speaker 1: No, it's gone. It's really it's crazy because he wrote so much. I mean, he could have.
Speaker 2: Made a book for urban outfitters off of all the blog posts that he made, you know what I mean. And so I was a huge fan and on his blog he had his screen name for.
Speaker 1: A I M.
Speaker 2: So I threw him on my buddy list just to be like, I wonder if this guy that who's blog I follow? Who?
Speaker 3: I'm like your fan list?
Speaker 1: And so one day I was in college I got about.
Speaker 3: Your door open.
Speaker 1: It was late at night.
Speaker 2: I was like drunk and I heard and he only went on and I was just drunk enough to be like, I should let me just tell him I'm a fan, Like who, What's the worst that could happen? Because I think it was right after my friend had found uh Andy Blitz, who wrote for Conan. Yeah, she found him in the New York like online in the White pages in New York City and so we just called Andy Blitz and were like.
Speaker 1: We love you. You're a hider on Conan and.
Speaker 2: So I was like, yeah, this is and he seemed to like it. So we were like okay, people like when you reach out.
Speaker 3: Of course, especially back, this is not the days where you can just slide in to someone's DMS and ask them quick No.
Speaker 2: This was like you had a But it was also very easy to find people in a different kind of way.
Speaker 3: The fact that these the same boomers now who are all about like privacy and not giving my email to the Chase Bank insane. They had a published book printed out with their name, phone number, and address and it was in every phone book in the world.
Speaker 1: It's it's nuts.
Speaker 3: It's nuts.
Speaker 2: So I wrote to Bob and was like hey, and then we became friends on aim. And then I was planning a trip to New York City to go see Opie and Anthony show, which I was a fan of, and I this is such a nice Larentine nineties Jim Florentine was going to hook me up with like going to the Obien Anthony studios because I knew Jim.
Speaker 1: From doing stand up and man, were.
Speaker 3: You wearing Jenco jeans?
Speaker 2: And uh, this is you, guys, this is two thousand and four, it's us.
Speaker 3: Did you have frost on the chips?
Speaker 2: I forget like what I was definitely wearing, Like how was your Tama go.
Speaker 1: Long gone at this point? But we were yeah, we were like a decade.
Speaker 2: We were less than a decade out of Tomagotchi's tour was so long.
Speaker 3: This was more of a giga pet era.
Speaker 2: We were also going to see Dimitri Martin in New York. We were going to see his one man show. Like it was so early two thousands comedy, Like early two thousands comedy was.
Speaker 1: Popping the fuck off.
Speaker 2: You think it's big now, it was like the coolest thing ever, especially as someone who was in comedy.
Speaker 3: It was more for It was more for comedy too. Nowadays you're like popular if you're a politics comedian, and back then it's like you're popular just for being a weird comedian.
Speaker 2: It was all yeah, like the undergrounds, nothing undergund sternsive scene.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So when to New York, hung out with Bob, became instant friends. I was in like a sketch he used to do a thing called The Post Show. It was like early before YouTube. They had like a sketch video show like that you could watch online. Every week they would post like two sketches and they did it for years, and I was in a bunch of them. But that was my debut on the internet. Acting was in The Post Show. And I think it was June two thousand and five when out there, and then then Bob and I became friends. And then he moved to LA in two thousand and seven when I was already out there, and then we hung out there and then he ended up writing.
Speaker 1: It was headwriter on Not Safe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's where I met Bob.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so we've been friends for the whole time. He's an amazing person. And now he's writing on this and yeah, so we're they're all out here. We're shooting a thing today, like Christmas themed, and there's a house in Saint Louis we're renting that is just decorated for Christmas year round that people just shoot at.
Speaker 3: Oh cool, now, I think.
Speaker 1: That's what it is. So you buy this, it's like a set that you go to.
Speaker 3: There's a Yeah, there's a lot of places like that. I discovered this. This is like a thing that there's people who just like own properties and then they rented at to people to do shoots. I mean, obviously it's very popular in LA to do that, yeah and so, and they're usually like they look a certain way m hm. And you'd be surprised how frequently people need things like that, especially now.
Speaker 2: I believe there was one in Saint Louis. There's multiple ones in the most that Chris sent us, so Chris producing it here on the ground and then we are shooting it today and it's definitely harder than the roast because usually we just are roasting the game. And like, this is why I like this job is because there's no preparation, like you just have to do it and it is whatever it is. And this it is like if it's not good, it's like our fault and usually I can just blame it's like the timing, and it was this game was a very exciting and there wasn't a lot to do with this and this was just like we've had all the time to come up with the concept.
Speaker 1: We would all the time to write the jokes, and.
Speaker 3: To be fair, we didn't have all the time. It's still was like five days. Yes, you know it's still yeah, But I also think like that there's a lot of parameters here, and I think the bar should be a little bit lower because.
Speaker 1: Oh it's lower, it's lower. It a limbo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we're doing we're going under the bar. Yeah, And just to I just would like to sit into Brian's complement corner for a second for we're talking about Bob and everybody. This is everyone that's working on this is so funny and such good responsible workers, and oh my.
Speaker 2: God, I was like, I'm I told you guys last night. I was like, I'm like just like blown away at how hard you guys work. I just like, I have the best team. I love my whole team. That's a quote from I think you should leave, guy, But I really am like, I'm obsessed with how you guys are just such hard workers and like because there was a time like last night when I was staring at my computer screen and I was like, I can't think of any jokes.
Speaker 1: I don't want to do this anymore. I give up. I don't even care if it's trash. I literally give up. I don't care. I want to go to bed.
Speaker 2: I hate this and like no one else had that vibe and even though everyone was just as tired as I was, if not more. And it's just just good hard workers and so nice to have and everyone's so positive and there's no bad vibes like ever. No, and that's really rare to have no bad vibes. Yeah, no, like ego kind of things going on.
Speaker 3: It's just it's any ego he may have had was taken out of us over the last fifteen years of working in this business. That's that's what we get. Yeah, that's what happens. You get to a certain point where you're just like, ego just is so squashed.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, I did an Ny Graham test on Sean this weekend because I'm like, wait, can I.
Speaker 3: Get Okay I thought he was a three? Yeah, okay, what makes sense? Well, yeah, I'm very curious. I think we.
Speaker 2: Gotta go to break and I'll tell you what he's going to be, because I know the listeners are dying to know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this guy that conor. Okay a feeling, Oh yes, yes, I have a feeling he might he's either a six or nine.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll find out when we get back. So Sean is a three. I was at first he answered the questions and he was a one, and then we were reading it we were all.
Speaker 1: Like, no, you're not dude.
Speaker 3: You know who's a one, Chris Conny, You're a one? Yeah, Chris is not a one.
Speaker 1: Chris is the one.
Speaker 3: You are wrong.
Speaker 1: No, he did an extensive I don't think so.
Speaker 3: Why I think Chris is a seven.
Speaker 1: Helper?
Speaker 3: Seven is dude?
Speaker 1: He fits number one.
Speaker 2: He fits ones like insanely, like more more than I think you do. Perfectionist, loves to be Uh what are all the things about one?
Speaker 3: The problem with assessing people by their personality traits is that that that's not that's the misnomer about the enneagram, okay, is that you're just looking at their.
Speaker 2: Traits ethical, strong sense of right and wrong. Chris is very black and white, like things are good or bad. There's several well organized, orderly and detail oriented, always striving to improve things, but fears making mistakes.
Speaker 1: I mean that is so Chris.
Speaker 2: How many times are we in calls with Chris where we are like done with the call and he goes, hey, I just wanted to like check is everyone cool with this? Like there's do we want to give it ten more minutes of thought to maybe even come up with anything more, which is what I love about him, because I was told in therapy that ones and threes are the most successful couples ever because threes just just like, let's just move ahead, let's do this. They're really confident, they want to get they are totally wanting to get approval from everyone, so they'll work hard and they are go getters. But ones are like, we need to perfect it, you need to practice, let's go over it, and and together they become power couples.
Speaker 3: Okay, can take this from movie. Okay, I want to take it from you. I will get into it in depth detail, discussion about it.
Speaker 2: I gotta get yeahs Sean is a three.
Speaker 1: Sure, Okay, he.
Speaker 3: Does it for the applause like Lady.
Speaker 2: Gaga, the applause, the applause, applause, and so he but I was like Sean when we would so when we do these whatever, I have a writing team. We usually just have a Google Doc and everyone just writes in it and neverone No one doesn't write their initials next to things.
Speaker 1: They don't write it.
Speaker 2: It's just there's no no one knows who's writing what, like unless you are active in the dock and you see someone writing the joke and it says their little name next to it. Yeah, if you just look into the dock and there's no evidence of who wrote what. Right, So when I choose jokes, I don't know who did what. I'm not I'm not going wow, Sean only got this many, Brian got this, like I'm not.
Speaker 1: I don't care. Everyone gets paid what they get paid, and then and then there's.
Speaker 3: Some people are having an off week and they don't write very many things, and it's just like, hey, I know that everyone here is contributing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I know that everyone gives as much as they can when they can.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like I've had off weeks before too, So I've never even faulted.
Speaker 1: I would never even look into it.
Speaker 2: If I suspected someone wasn't contributing enough, I wouldn't be like, oh, did they not work hard enough, I'm not going to pay them as much this week or something like that. It's just like, I just know everyone can give what they can when they everyone does their best.
Speaker 1: But I said to Sean as a.
Speaker 2: Three that would really irritate me if I knew Nikki was choosing my jokes, but she didn't know she was choosing my jokes. She didn't know that out of the you know, thirty jokes she did, ten of them were mine, which is like it would be an insane you know percentage. And he said that he he used to count jokes and like talk about it when he would he was a writer on Cordon James Gordon, and when he first got there, he would like pay attention to like he would count how many jokes he got in the monologue and he would like talk about it amongst other writers and not brag, but kind of like maybe passive aggressively bragg.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and someone.
Speaker 2: Who was like the original writer at Letterman who like founded the idea of the.
Speaker 3: Top ten list Johnny punchline. Yeah, Johnny, he invented the punchline.
Speaker 2: He called him out and was like, Sean, nobody likes a jelly bean counter, and so Sewn immediately got insecure about it. And then he he is lost that he doesn't care anymore. It really is like the thing that drives him to be a three has been beaten out of him and he doesn't of course, he counts how many he gets an in for himself and maybe and I go, do you tell your wife?
Speaker 1: Do you tell anyone? Like this week?
Speaker 2: I get this because I always I would not be okay with that.
Speaker 1: I just wouldn't.
Speaker 3: Well, that's why I question whether or not he's a three, because if someone told him you can't be a jelly being counter which means you can't get the applause that you are so desperately want, he wouldn't have gone with that. He would have fought against that in some way.
Speaker 1: Well, I would say that you can change.
Speaker 2: You don't have to change, but you could just like anything, like the way he's scared of flying, but he's flown so much that he's lost the fear. Yeah, he's lost that drive of that and he's let go of it, which I think is a healthy thing, because a well functioning three isn't obsessed with approval. A three can be well functioning and not be caught up in constant you know, validation.
Speaker 3: Then that don't they then grow to become they grow towards their health number or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe that's a good Maybe he's something else now, But I was really fast.
Speaker 1: I'm just fascinated by that.
Speaker 2: And then this weekend we got into another talk with Anya about like why she makes art, and I was explaining to Sean about any grahamam like, you know, like you and I, we do it because we want people to like us desperately, and we want love, and people liking us means we're loved, and that's like what mainly drives us. And I go for Anya like she's a I think A nine, And I go, what drives Anya is.
Speaker 1: She wants to connect with people.
Speaker 2: That's why she makes music, like and she goes, no, it's not And I go what She's like, No, no, No, it's because I just I want to I want to say something.
Speaker 1: I like, have something in me that I need to say. It is nothing.
Speaker 2: I don't care how it lands at all. It's not about connecting with people. It's not about like I need people to hear my truth. It's about me just needing to say it.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, what interesting.
Speaker 2: I It's so fascinating to me that two people can be drawn to do the same thing, become performers for completely different reasons.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well you can have a performer in any number.
Speaker 1: I know, and it's I just it doesn't make sense to me. Why would you perform?
Speaker 2: Why would you want to stand in front of people and perform for them. If your goal was to just say something like I know that sounds crazy. I think it's rebably twenty percent on a good day of what motivates me to write.
Speaker 3: What's confusing about it is she's saying say something, but not like express her individuality.
Speaker 1: She wants to just say something like say I I'm sorry you heard. Is that she wants to be heard and.
Speaker 2: No, it's like she had She wants to synthesize her feelings into a thing so that.
Speaker 1: It's like this is this.
Speaker 2: It's not even about other people validating it, Like she doesn't care about the other hearing it.
Speaker 3: That might make her four.
Speaker 2: Then she's not someone who writes music and then is like guys, listen to it right away, like on girls Chat, whereas I'm like I do anything and I'm like, guys, look what I did?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: Like it's not about her getting like either connecting with people. It's it's just about her making things, Like she would still be a songwriter if she lived alone in a closet, Like she would still be making music if there was no other people on this planet, and I would have no point. There would be literally zero point for me to make any art if there was no.
Speaker 1: Other people on this planet. Yeah, zero reason. Do you agree? What would would you be motivated to write?
Speaker 3: Would I be motivated to write if there were zero people on this planet?
Speaker 2: One?
Speaker 1: If there's no one?
Speaker 3: I's extreme.
Speaker 1: I know that, Like you'd be not motived.
Speaker 3: To do anything, probably like I got to get meat or something.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's just say like if you could not ever put it out?
Speaker 3: Yeah, if I had, if I was just writing like my own personal journals, and.
Speaker 1: You would still write.
Speaker 3: And then posthumously maybe it was released nobody.
Speaker 1: No, you don't get that.
Speaker 2: No, that's something that's still validation in the afterlife, or at least I know.
Speaker 1: But think about how many people there are who don't have their art out like you put but they could know, is what I'm saying. They could don't put creativity in a box. No, I'm not.
Speaker 2: I'm learning that there's other way. I It's just it's almost the way I feel about when people want kids, or when people want to go hiking, or people want to rock climb without.
Speaker 1: Or do anything. I just go.
Speaker 2: I can't imagine there's no world in which I would ever want to do that, And it's just fascinating to me that people can be so different and motivated by so many different things. Because I I could, I relate to hermit crabs more than I relate to someone who would write a song in a vacuum. I literally, I like, I would relate to serial killers way more.
Speaker 1: And by the way, there's threes. There's a lot of serious killers threes. It is like that's the book. Sean was reading the list of famous threes. He's like, this isn't good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, We're like, don't forget Kevin Spacey like.
Speaker 3: It's it's it's healthy and unhealthy in every numb Yeah. Sure, sure, for various reasons.
Speaker 1: But I just don't. I just don't get it.
Speaker 3: I think I create things. I think more and more as I get older, I'm creating things for the sake of survival. Like if I could, if I could just write something and nobody knew I wrote it, but I still I would get a million dollars. I would do it. Then if nobody knew I wrote it and I did and I just get a million dollars, I I would do it for me.
Speaker 2: I think that's why I do things now too, it's just like, because well, let me just offer this. Having money is a way of getting validated. Sure you have money and you look rich, people like you more and you are more protected. It's all about like survival. I just want to like survive.
Speaker 3: There's the survival aspect of it. The second aspect of it is vindication and justice where I view myself even if I even if people didn't know I wrote something, if I got if I wrote a cartoon like for Fox and it went on TV and people liked it but they didn't know I was there, or like the public didn't know, but I still got the money for it, I would feel I would still value that because at least I believe now a good thing is out there instead of a shitty thing, okay, and that makes the world makes more sense to me. Motivation is like doing that.
Speaker 2: And then I would say I don't want to discount the fact that I like when I like making stuff for people like me, because I feel I think about what I felt like as a kid, or as like if I wasn't an artist as a woman, like what I would want to consume. So when people enjoy me, it's usually like because they're like me, and I'm making it for others like me who have did the insecurities.
Speaker 1: Or need to be validated in that way.
Speaker 2: So it's all about validation for for It's it's it comes from a selfish place, I'm sure, but I do really like when I when you know there are people that connect with it, and yeah, that where I feel like I meet fans and I'm like, oh my god, we're we could be best friends or they go we're the same person or something like that. I guess that's innately selfish.
Speaker 3: But you're probably in this. You probably relate to anybody in your cluster.
Speaker 1: You're any threes, two.
Speaker 3: Threes, and fours are all in the I forgot which cluster there's you're not fear, you're not body, you're not gout your heart, foot you care about Yeah, yeah there's foot, anus and mouth. Think of the free clusters.
Speaker 2: I love doing these tests. And then just I just am so fascinated by just I just wanted to write a song because I just have a song my heart like that's so beautiful and like not not and and Anya like honestly could be she had like you know when she when she popped off with like when she was in the Twilight movie uh and had her you know music and Gray's Anatomy.
Speaker 1: She was on Jimmy Kimmel.
Speaker 2: She was like opening for big acts and she was on this trajectory and she was like this is too much, Like it's too much.
Speaker 1: I don't really like it.
Speaker 2: Like it was true, it was sensory overload. And she was just like, I just don't want it. Like with honest talent, I could be.
Speaker 1: Taylor s Left.
Speaker 2: I'm not joking you, like I don't have that talent, Like if I could have that musical kind of talent. I not to say that Anya squandered it or something like Anya has the best life that she.
Speaker 1: Wanted choice, yes, yes, but she it's like a movie.
Speaker 2: It's fascinating to me when you meet people who are so talented and they don't You're like, what, Like my sister is was always a like model pretty and always told that she should be a model.
Speaker 1: The fact that she never tried, Like.
Speaker 2: What a fucking way of a naturally live figure and angular bone structure, no acne skin texture that's perfect, No like hair that's shining like a horse's mane that's been groomed for you, like it's she is was perfect from head to toe and never was like I just don't want to make.
Speaker 1: Money off of this. I'm like, what a wist? Yeah, but also not because what a dumb life that is. In many ways, well, that's.
Speaker 3: How people feel about tall people when they don't play basketball. When you're in high school, if you're like six foot three and you're like not playing basketball, it's like, what do you do in man? Yeah, if you're a seven footer. There was my friend Rob Stern. Yeah, your friend Robstern. There was a guy he always talks about in high school or college who was seven feet tall, and everyone was like, what are you doing? Why are you not playing basketball? And just like I just don't like basketball.
Speaker 1: I just don't like it.
Speaker 3: One it's like you could the chances of entering the NBA, the chances of being a college scholarship if you're over seven foot tall is like seventy five percent. So you saying I just don't like basketball, saying you don't want a seventy five percent chance that your college is paid for, and then you have like a twenty five percent chance of at least at the time of getting not. Nowadays, everyone's a freak, but you had twenty five percent chance of getting into the NBA being seven feet.
Speaker 1: Or taller twenty million dollars a year.
Speaker 3: Or something, and it's like just to say I don't feel like it. It's like it's so shortsighted, because like you could you're gonna stop playing when you're twenty eight.
Speaker 2: But or you just don't like the game, like something like Andrea Augussy does not like tennis. He only played because he was his parents made him, and he was good at it, and reluctant like he's he hated that he was good at it.
Speaker 1: He hates tennis.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but now he's a billionaire and he can do whatever he wants for the rest of his miserable life.
Speaker 2: Heard Anna Gosteyer on Last Culture Says, and she was talking about how she was really good at violin and she could have been great, but she just didn't like violin even though she was really good at it.
Speaker 1: She just like put it down.
Speaker 2: It's just like I, truly ever was good at anything. I would have the only thing I was good at I did for a career, the first thing, like I would have jumped at all.
Speaker 1: All I was looking for was not enjoyment. It was not like, oh do I like this?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: It's am I good at it? And are people gonna?
Speaker 2: The only thing that makes me feel good is when people tell me I'm good.
Speaker 3: That's the great challenge of your life, yes, is to figure out things that give you that you find approval in just by being yourself.
Speaker 2: And that's why I was talking to Chris about the writing with you guys, and writing jokes and going over jokes and then trying them out and then going back and talking to you guys about it is my favorite. It's when I hear people talk about like I love the process, like I literally hate celebrities talking about like I don't know. It's just like getting into this character was my favorite part, Like sinking my teeth into this role, and just the camaraderie on set and like I just am always like rolling my eyes. It just seems like just a boiler plate like bullshit that people are just talking about in press interviews because they have to. You have to say you love your and you you love the you love the hard part of it. I literally my favorite thing is sitting around with us, like last night when we were going over Who's hot, Like who we all think is hot?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got way off track.
Speaker 3: You know, we were rolling down.
Speaker 2: Christ's kept trying to pull us back in, and I just like the cat's away. So he would go out to like walk Goldie and I'd be like, okay, wait, let's get back to like who's hot?
Speaker 1: Okay, Sidney Sweeney, what do you think?
Speaker 2: And then we got on a track of like we were talking about people and on Twitter, how funny Twitter was and twenty thirteen and who was big? And like where who is? Where are all those people that were huge on Twitter? We're just going off all these It's just so fun and then writing jokes and making ourselves laugh and that really I love that so much and it doesn't give me.
Speaker 1: I'm starting to enjoy something that.
Speaker 2: Isn't giving me the thing that like I'm not getting any I'm barely saying things. Sometimes I get a laugh, but I'm not like counting my laughs with you guys. Do they think I'm the best, Like I'm probably the least funny out of all of you, and like I still am having the best time. So I'm beginning to actually really enjoy that that part of like where I'm like, wow, I think I love this thing.
Speaker 1: That's kind of hard.
Speaker 3: Car with your three personality type.
Speaker 1: I like being around people.
Speaker 2: Maybe I love socializing, I love gossiping.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Leave that to the scientists.
Speaker 1: Leave it to them.
Speaker 2: Noah, what did Emily give you this weekend to tell me about or to ask me about?
Speaker 4: Okay, well, first of all, I want to hear about the tour this weekend because you had great shows. There's a bestie who wants to know what you thought of the audience in Memphis. Something happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, they were like the best audience of my life. I don't know, nothing happened. They were just so on board and there was just like a just sometimes like really like it's like a good date. Like it's maybe little awkward at the beginning, and then all of a sudden it just clicks and then you guys are like best friends. I've been doing this thing on stage though that I've always like, Usually on stage, I'm not like laughing a ton with my jokes and smiling a lot as I'm talking, like I'm in the joke, so I'm like.
Speaker 1: Feeling the way I would feel in the joke.
Speaker 2: I'm not like laughing at my own punchline because it's so funny, which, by the way, is a huge way that you like. Like everyone likes comedians that laugh at their own jokes. I fall for it, everyone enjoys it. But I always fight doing it because I just don't want to trick the audience into laughing for something else than they are actually laughing at. Right. That's why I don't look them in the eyes, because looking at audience members in the eyes forces them to laugh, because they put the feel put on the spot.
Speaker 1: That's why I don't laugh at my own jokes.
Speaker 2: That's why I don't have pauses in between jokes, because when there's a pause, audiences feel awkward and they start to applaud after a laugh, they'll just naturally do it.
Speaker 3: I don't like, not for me.
Speaker 2: I never want an audience to I was talking about this weekend in the car. I just don't want an audience. I want them to know what they're laughing at. I don't want to trick them subconsciously, because so often we are laughing at something and we don't know why we're laughing.
Speaker 3: Sometimes at a club like you do need to make eye contact with an audience if they're just like checked out.
Speaker 1: If they shall not do that, I would not.
Speaker 3: You wouldn't.
Speaker 1: Even my eyes won't let me.
Speaker 2: I blur my eyes and they will not unblur when I'm not saying, they just won't.
Speaker 3: But if the audience is like not even really like paying attention to you, or I guess it doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: You just pull you just pushed through. Yes it does.
Speaker 2: I bombed recently with an audience that there was no reaction bombing, and I did not. I did not flinch even once. I just kept going. I did not acknowledge it. I mean I acknowledge it a couple of times, but I just kept going. It was it was I it was like walking over hot coals. It really it felt that way. It was like, I can't stop too long. It's too painful, So just keep going because this is gonna be over eventually.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 1: This cannot last forever.
Speaker 3: Setlander, You'll die.
Speaker 2: I I would have it was. It was the most painful thing of my life.
Speaker 1: I was. It was like falling down airs for a whole hour.
Speaker 2: Is how I like this place for not naming yeahsious talking about it on Kimmel. I'm just I think I'm going to try to work out the story and talk about it on Kimmel a couple of week weeks in two weeks, and so I need a story for Kimmel. Nothing really crazy has happened in my life, except that, like so.
Speaker 3: Many crazy things, you need to you need to recalibrate your evaluator of what's crazy and what's not, because to a normal person in the world, you do a crazy thing almost every day what you're doing interview you for interview magazine.
Speaker 1: That's true. I did have Kara del You got.
Speaker 3: To recalibrate because it's it's almost.
Speaker 1: You're like and she was the one that the a canator could not get.
Speaker 3: By the way, the a canator let me down so many times. The acator can't get anybody anywhere. It's at a touch. The a canator is like, is like, it's like Joe Biden. It's it's over the hill. It used to be so good, it used to be so good. It's okay, It's there's so many times where I would go, hey, the a conator want to try it, and then people like whatever, and then I do it and be like in five tribes.
Speaker 2: There is there's stuff like that. Have you ever done the quiz from New York Times that came out literally twelve years ago that finds what region of like what city you're from in the US, just by answering what you call things.
Speaker 3: Oh cool, like your.
Speaker 2: Regional dialect, how you pronounce things, how you what you call things, and it will get it down to like the neighborhood you're from in the UN.
Speaker 1: It's nuts, you guys. Just type in New York Times dot com, dot com, my poop is blog.
Speaker 2: It's like it's like dialect regional quiz or something like that, and you will blow your friend's minds.
Speaker 3: It's like the best part versus versus coke.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: One of the one of the questions is what do you call it when it's raining outside when the sun is out? Oh, it's like the sunshower. Yeah, devil beats his wife. There's like a there's so many where you're like, what the fuck. There's always D or E none of the above.
Speaker 1: We don't have a name for that.
Speaker 3: So it's either they go A a sunshower, be the devil beats his wife and then skips the E.
Speaker 2: No, there's other ones, but the last one is always we don't have a name for this and you can easily answer that because there's a lot of reasons where they don't have names for it.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, I call it a sunshower.
Speaker 1: We didn't have a name for it in Saint Louis.
Speaker 2: I was never a thing like or what do you call when you go buy a traffic accident?
Speaker 1: And we should do the quiz. It's so we should do the quiz. It's really a fun question.
Speaker 3: When I go by a traffic accident, I call that the devil beats is what?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: No, you go buy a traffic accident and you like like look at it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're Oh. I think in my region people would say a rubbernecker.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: But in I would call it gawking.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: It's from twenty thirteen literally to December twenty four, first two thirte almost exactly eleven US dialect quiz. How y'all and you guys talk and this quiz Okay, this is a great quiz.
Speaker 3: This is great great for the pod play along. If you're can you play along?
Speaker 2: Can we can do a couple questions before we go to break or will you go to break and come back?
Speaker 1: Okay? A couple questions. Okay, what Noah, do you want to? Have you done it before?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Well I know about it because of you, but I haven't actually taken it.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I want to take it and we can find out where exactly you're from.
Speaker 3: And if you're a bestie, pull it up.
Speaker 2: You'll you grew up in a different country, but you moved here when when?
Speaker 1: How young? Seven? Seven? Okay, so yeah, you'll, this will work. Okay.
Speaker 2: How would you address a group of two or more people? You all use you lot, you guys, yuns, yins, you other y'all.
Speaker 1: I would say, guys, I think you guys? How do you pronounce a U N T? I'm just gonna I'm not gonna eat them all, just saying no. Stop saying, Oh, you gotta let her say it.
Speaker 3: We're doing it for her.
Speaker 1: Oh wait, we both.
Speaker 3: Okay, I thought we're doing it for me.
Speaker 1: I can't do it for both of you. I can okay, sorry, sorry, sorry, okay, Oh okay, wait, who should we do? Let's just do both of.
Speaker 3: Us, but we can't do well. I can do mine.
Speaker 4: I guess Brian and I are from the same region. So okay, Brian, I'm sending you this quiz.
Speaker 1: Hold on, okay, okay.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you guys are from the same region, so it's but no, it's like you will be okay, okay. How do you pronounce it? You said ant ant okay to sound like an ant. Yes, the bug. What do you call the area of grass in the middle of some streets A boulevard, a midway, a traffic island, an island, a neutral ground. I have no word for this, median or other.
Speaker 1: I have no word for the area of grass in the middle of some streets.
Speaker 3: This sucks because the quiz is not in the same order for as you it just.
Speaker 1: Because it figures it out as it goes.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's like the actor. I don't trust this ship at all.
Speaker 2: Now. What do you call the thing from which you might drink water in at a school? Bubbler, A water bubbler, a drinking fountain, a water fountain other.
Speaker 1: I'd probably say a water fountain.
Speaker 3: That's what I would say, a water fountain.
Speaker 2: What do you call a traffic situation in which several roads meet in a circle A rotary, a roundabout, a circle, a traffic circle, a traffic circus.
Speaker 1: I have no word for this. Or other roundabout.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would call it maybe a traffic circle around the really.
Speaker 2: A traffic circle, solding it a traffic circus because they obviously heard traffic circle.
Speaker 3: And heard it wrong.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: What do you call the long sandwich that contains cold cuts, lettuce and so on? A sub, A grinder, A HOGI A hero, A poor boy, a bomber, Italian sandwich, baguette, a sarnie.
Speaker 1: I have no word for this or other hero?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Hero?
Speaker 1: Whoa not sub? Okay?
Speaker 2: What do you call a sweet and carbonated beverage soda?
Speaker 3: Pop?
Speaker 1: Coke, tonic soft drink? Lemonade? Coke? Who calls it lemonade? Co cola? Fizzy drink? Dope? Other dope?
Speaker 3: There's gotta be like one small town in the Bayou that's like the devil beats his wife on the traffic circus and drink.
Speaker 1: Okay, what do you call it?
Speaker 3: I say soda soda?
Speaker 1: What do you call a small.
Speaker 2: Road parallel to the highway, A frontage road, a service road, an access road, a feeder road, a gateway. We have them, but I have no word for them. I've never even heard of this concept? Service road?
Speaker 3: Service road?
Speaker 2: What how do you pronounce the silt. Pronounce the word C A R A M.
Speaker 1: E L caramel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, caramel, I say caramel. Okay, A lot of people say caramel.
Speaker 2: What do you call the large wild cat native to the Americas?
Speaker 1: Okay, this is my favorite one?
Speaker 2: Mountain lion, cougar, puma, mountain cat, panther, catamount, mountain, mountain.
Speaker 1: Screamer, oh yeah, or painter, painter a mountain scream mountains.
Speaker 3: Okay, mountain lion.
Speaker 2: How do you pronounce the first syllable of L A W Y E R Lawlly?
Speaker 1: How do you say it?
Speaker 2: Say it lawyer? Okay, so rhymes with boy Lloyd lawyer. What is the distinction between dinner and supper? I'm not going to read that answer. What is the distinct Yeah, what's the difference between supper and dinner?
Speaker 3: I think dinner is a little bit later than supper.
Speaker 1: That's what I think too. Supper comes earlier than dinner.
Speaker 2: Okay, dinner takes place, O wait, Supper is an evening meal. Dinner is the main meal. Supper is an evening meal. Dinner is eaten earlier. Dinner takes place in a more formal setting than supper. There is no distinction. They both have the same meeting.
Speaker 1: I think I would say that one. They don't. There's no distinction, no distinction.
Speaker 3: I would say the first one that supper is like a little bit earlier.
Speaker 1: What so, do you have supper and dinner?
Speaker 3: You could or you have supper and you're like, oh, I can't have dinner because I already had supper.
Speaker 2: What the fuck? I cannot even believe that either. To me, they're interchangeable, changeable. It just means supper means you're like from the South or something.
Speaker 3: You Yeah, I think that's really the answer, really funny. The real answer is this there we don't say supper at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that thinks Yeah, Okay, how do you pronounce the words? Okay, m A r y Mary, m e r r y Mary, Mary, m a r r y.
Speaker 1: Mary.
Speaker 3: Wait what's that last word?
Speaker 1: They said? Are they're all all the same? Right? Yeah? It's Mary, Mary, Mary, Mary, Mary and Mary Mary.
Speaker 3: I think Mary and Mary are a little bit different. Mary and you have yourself a merry little Christmas and Mary had a little lamb.
Speaker 1: Mary, Mary and Mary.
Speaker 3: Mary had a little lamb. Have yourself Mary.
Speaker 1: I think were the same though.
Speaker 2: Okay, what do you call the small freshwater lobster often found in lakes and streams. Crawfish, crayfish, crawl crowfish, crownad, mudbug. I have no word for this creator.
Speaker 3: Why do they put that? They really want to fuck with us? I know it as a crawfish, Yeah, crawfish.
Speaker 2: What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining? Okay's hilarious sunshower. The wolf is giving birth, the devil is beating his wife, monkey's wedding, fox's wedding, pineapple, rain, liquid sun.
Speaker 1: I have no term or expression for this.
Speaker 3: With fun times?
Speaker 2: What sunshower? Sunshower? How do you pronounce the second syllable of p A j A m A s mos No pu jaw jaw pa jaw No, you don't.
Speaker 3: You don't do it that way. Say the word pajamas, say pajamas.
Speaker 1: How do you say it?
Speaker 3: Jamas?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: So it's either a picture with the word vowel in jam or with a vowel in palm.
Speaker 1: You say jamas. Okay.
Speaker 2: What do you call something that is across both streets from you at an intersection, or diagonally across from you in general, like something that's diagonal from you? Kitty corner, kid a corner, catter corner, catty corner, kitty cross.
Speaker 1: Kitty kitty womp?
Speaker 3: Who are who is that?
Speaker 1: I would use diagonal for this?
Speaker 3: I have us Are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: It's insane. The devil beats his wife. I would say diagonal or across the street.
Speaker 3: Okay, No, it's kitty corner.
Speaker 1: Do you pronounce co ot and c A U g h T the same coat and no cot? Oh?
Speaker 3: When when you're at a hotel and you an extra bed, oh.
Speaker 2: I say cat okay, and then they blank the criminal caught caught?
Speaker 1: She says some different, Yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: What do you call a traffic jam caused by driver slowing down to look at an accident on the or diversion on the side of the road.
Speaker 1: Rubberneck rubber necking.
Speaker 2: Rubber Necking is the activity the slowing down and glocking that causes the traffic jam. But I have no word for the traffic jam itself. Gaper's block, gaper's delay. Don't even think I'm done, looky lou, curiosity delay, dock block, I have no word cockblock it is.
Speaker 4: Rubber necking is the activity of trap that slows down the traffic.
Speaker 1: But I have no word for this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, first of all, that is the right answer, none of them. The thing couldn't be rubber necking. You couldn't call the accident rubber necking. I call it rubber necking the accident.
Speaker 1: Itself or the activity. Yes, that's what I'm saying. What do you call it? But what do you call?
Speaker 2: A traffic jam caused by driver slowing down? Is not called a rubber neck I call it.
Speaker 3: Rubber necking because it's the the you call the accident the rubber neck it's caused, it's the traffic, it's the traffic causes.
Speaker 2: What do you call a traffic jam cause okay, the traffic jam is called rubber ducking.
Speaker 3: I call it rubber deck because everyone is the reason there is a traffic jam is because people are slowing down to look at an accident and so their their next get real long and stretchy.
Speaker 1: Well, yes, sand what the comes from?
Speaker 2: But I don't think rubber right, I would call it a traffic jam.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you from rubber necking.
Speaker 3: Use twelve long island.
Speaker 1: Okay, how do you pronounce questions? Because break? Five more? Okay, six more?
Speaker 2: We can go to break coming back with six more questions after this, Okay, Noah, Question number twenty out of twenty five.
Speaker 1: How do you pronounce b e e n bin? Okay, like the vowel in sit bin.
Speaker 2: How do you what do you call a big road on which you drive relatively fast?
Speaker 1: Highway?
Speaker 2: Freeway, parkway, turnpike, expressway, through through way. A freeway is bigger than a highway. A freeway is free, a highway isn't. A freeway has limited access, no stoplights, no intersections, whereas a highway can have stoplights and intersections.
Speaker 1: I just call them all highways same.
Speaker 2: What do you call the sweet spread that is put on a cake for this interesting?
Speaker 1: Frosting or icing? Frosting?
Speaker 2: Icing, frosting and icing refer to different things both neither.
Speaker 1: I would say icing.
Speaker 2: Icing interesting. That would never Okay, we're getting close. What do you call the area of grass between the sidewalk and the road, the berm, the parking tree, lawn, terrace, curb strip, beltway, verge. I have no word for this. I have no word for this. I just call it a sidewalk, but it's it's the grass.
Speaker 1: I know. It's all the same to me.
Speaker 3: I had to look that up once because I want to know what it was called, And then I forgot what I because I didn't have a word for it either.
Speaker 1: I didn't either.
Speaker 2: That must be like a very specific neighborhood. What do you call if they If you answered that, what would you call a sale of unwanted items on your porch or in your yard?
Speaker 1: A yard sale?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Other ones are tag sale, garage sale, rummage sale, thrift sale, stoop sale, car ports sales, sidewalk sale, jumble sale, car boot sale, patio sale.
Speaker 4: Honestly, I think I would actually call it a garage sale, garage sale, okay.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yard sale or yeah, garage sale.
Speaker 1: Changeable garage sale growing up.
Speaker 4: But I've seen a lot of signs around here for yard sales, and I think that's think.
Speaker 1: Yard sales more west, like the West Western.
Speaker 2: What do you call the small gray bug that curls up into a ball when it's touched?
Speaker 1: This is the last question.
Speaker 2: A pill bug, a doodle bug, a potato bug, a rollipolia, so bug or sowbug. But basketball bug, twittle bug, roll up bug, wood louse, millipede, centipede. These all sound like little names.
Speaker 4: I get my dog A centipede, A centipede, the little gray bug.
Speaker 1: Do you know what I'm talking This is bug isn't anything.
Speaker 3: I don't know what that is.
Speaker 2: I have no idea what this creature is is probably the right answer for you. Oh you don't know what this little gray bug is that rolls up at a ball like like an marilla. No, no, no, no, it's like it has like an egxoskeleton kind.
Speaker 1: Of We we just had water bugs growing up and roaches, so I don't know. Okay, it's calculating it.
Speaker 2: Okay, Girley, you are from Yonkers, Newark, Patterson, Yonkers, New Jersey, No.
Speaker 1: Brooklyn, New York. But close enough, I guess.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I finished, and I got the I answered some questions a little bit differently. The thing in the middle I remember, I call an island. Definitely, the grass in the middle of the street is an island.
Speaker 1: I didn't see much of those growing up.
Speaker 3: So and then I selected that I don't use the word supper at all for the supper question. And I also got Yonkers, Patterson, new But no, it's not saying we're from Yonkers, it's saying we're from any of these locations.
Speaker 2: The heat of the map, it's like the map shows like red and then blue and then green like it's it nailed it in terms of where you're from, I.
Speaker 3: Mean a general repress.
Speaker 1: No, it's impressive like the geotagging guys.
Speaker 3: It's not as impressive as the Achnator.
Speaker 2: It's it when you were when you were with people that are from like a small town in Georgia or something like, it blows people's mind.
Speaker 1: They can get it.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, people in that region talk the same. So the fact that I wouldn't think that someone from Yonkers would talk very much different from someone from Long Island.
Speaker 2: Should have asked what you call a place where you get food.
Speaker 1: And buy your food?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the grocery store questions.
Speaker 1: She would have called it supermarket, super super market.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the other question you could ask.
Speaker 2: I can smell the word supermarket because it smells like a New York like you know where the deli section like that sour kind of meat and cold like yeah, thick, the cold meat smell is so gross. Yeah, but it's like perme's the whole place, because the supermarkets in New York are so small that they're not as spread out as ones, and is the meat department you can like not smell it when you're in the cereal.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I love how a whole food smells, and I think they designed it on purpose to smell a specific ways that when you go into whole foods. You know, my dad read this in a book about whole foods, that they make it smell a certain way so that when you go into a whole Foods you're like, oh, the whole foods and you get like that.
Speaker 1: It makes sense.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's all what like any kind of corporation that's like Starbucks, they're like, so it's all about like it's not even about the taste of the coffee.
Speaker 1: People go taste bad. It's like we know or you know famously.
Speaker 2: It's the way the cut feels in your hand. It's where the door feels when you open it, the way the music is, the color, it's it's the sounds of the foamers. Like they put thought into everything, like little sensory scene.
Speaker 3: Every corporations are evil, but you did this. Who invented this? Almost in like the modern era is well that's not what I was gonna say, But yeah, Abercrombie for but for a food place is subway. The smell of the bread bacons when you walk into a subway, that place stinks like place.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: It smells like my it smells like being in middle school high school.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that's exactly what they want.
Speaker 1: They got you.
Speaker 3: They got you in middle school.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: And there's just you know, it's like watching Seinfeld. It's just feels nostalidic. It feels like warm and yeah, oh god, I loved subway.
Speaker 1: I still I still do.
Speaker 2: Okay, final thought, we only have one episode this week. Let's get through some topics.
Speaker 3: So this, uh, yesterday or two days ago, I saw Wicked in theaters.
Speaker 1: And are you holding space?
Speaker 3: I'm holding space. Yeah, I want. I want to make sure that Cynthia Revo's well recognized. So let's just take a moment. No, I saw I saw Wicked last night or to night, and two things struck me. One is I was very heartened to see how many people went to the movie. It was like a pack theater and no shit, it's opening night. It's but this is not the case.
Speaker 2: But it's the biggest movie anticipation. We've been hearing about it for months and.
Speaker 3: Month with the advertising for Sure Tale.
Speaker 1: It's swift, It's swift, swifty, ish.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I'm both the same thing's happening for Gladiator too. I just hope that all of these like event movies kind of permeate, percolate throughout movies in general, and people remember that it's fun to go to the movie theater. And then people start to read.
Speaker 2: A take on Instagram or on Redd at them, like movie theaters suck?
Speaker 1: Why does everyone The only reason people want.
Speaker 2: Everyone to go back to movie theaters is because it's more profitable, Like you can enjoy a movie at home in the same way you don't. Like everyone goes like you gotta go to the movies again, and they're really building it up, and it's like I'm like, oh my god, we all have bought into this. Like going to AMC theater, you get you experience the magic, and it's like, no, it's just people want you to spend more money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's not how I feel.
Speaker 2: I feel like theater's got louder. Also, they're so loud loud. Put you, guys, are the biggest hack I can ever offer you. I do it in my plotate's classes because sometimes it's the speaker is just too loud and piercing. Go to the bathroom. Get some tissue. Take off the littlest piece and stick it in your ear. Choose tissue paper sure protect your ears if your ears are hurting, to not let it happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, that's I'm so far gone.
Speaker 1: I understand that the theater, it's it's a you know.
Speaker 4: It's.
Speaker 3: The screen is superiors. And the best thing of all is you focus on the movie. It's there's no you don't take out your phone. You sit there and you're forced to watch the movie.
Speaker 2: But I've never heard someone say that they watched a movie at home and not didn't see the theater. And I go, well, you didn't really get to experience it like I don't.
Speaker 3: I shouldn't say that, especially in that voice.
Speaker 1: Although if someone listens to a book, I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't think they read a book as much as I still I will give you seventy five percent that you read.
Speaker 1: Up do you agree with it?
Speaker 3: To the audio book?
Speaker 1: I think audiobooks.
Speaker 2: When people say I read a book and they say audiobook, it's not like I don't respect you. I still think it's cool because you probably read more than I do, but you didn't read you're not absorbing it in the same way.
Speaker 1: There's got to be studies on this. There's no way it's the same.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're in there, nus.
Speaker 2: You're driving and listening to an audiobook where you can really focus.
Speaker 1: You're not listening.
Speaker 3: No, Yeah, you were in the army reserve. You didn't go to Afghanistan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what it feels like. It doesn't feel the same.
Speaker 2: But I did like the take of like just looking at these things that we're told or like that's the way it should be done. It's like, well, is someone making way more money by making us convinced that this is the way to take in this art?
Speaker 1: And the truth is yes, well.
Speaker 3: A different group of people are making money. People are still making money off of you if you're watching it at home.
Speaker 2: Not in the same way that they are making it. If you're streaming it, you're there. The margins on streaming are not even close. Where you can just buy a thing for buy a subscription for seven ninety is a fourteen ninety nine a month? Yeah, and then you have thousands of things to choose from. Is not the same margins as paying twenty five dollars for a ticket and then eight dollars for a bop cord.
Speaker 3: All that shit is bad though, all of that shit it's getting thousands of anything is bad for that's no, it's not.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying it's good, But it was just an interesting take that I was like, Oh, I have just been kind of conditioned to think that if you go to the theater that's the only way to truly enjoy the cinema. But it's like that's coming from people that are making money off of that way more money movie making.
Speaker 3: I'm not making money off of it, and I just enjoy going to movies.
Speaker 2: I understand that it is a better experience, but it's not like it's not like the world would fall apart if people stop going to the movie theater.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, no, there's no. I mean, I highly doubt that would happen. That would be crazy if the world's.
Speaker 1: Going out to do anything anymore.
Speaker 3: Like, No, did you read this stuff about gen z is not leaving their homes?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: Yeah, And we can talk to gen ZM about this, but they did. They just came out with this like big retro respective study about the generation gen Z and they're saying that they're the least social generation. And I for yeah, I think this was on maybe Tim's podcast where he was talking about this and how he was saying that that's not a bad thing that people are like not going to bars and not going to clubs.
Speaker 1: I saw that too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he's like, because people are an alcoholics.
Speaker 3: They realize the smart bars and clubs when in your twenties and wasting a decade of your life getting drunk is stupid.
Speaker 2: And yeah, money, wasting your money, money, not going out as much.
Speaker 3: I don't a few movies in the same way I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't view going out to see music at smaller venues like the only people that are making money doing like, you know, performing are people at the top. Yeah, in anything, there's no space for like just a touring band to do like a two hundred seat venue happening.
Speaker 4: In the last five minutes of the show, can we talk about Gracie Abrams speaking, Oh yeah, yeah, something happens.
Speaker 1: Wait hold on, I just want to hear Wicked.
Speaker 3: You loved it, right, loved Wicked it everybody and it was amazing except for one person who I would not call out on the podcast. But the movie was just as good as the musical. When it ended, I was like this is as good as I felt. I felt this way when I was in high school when I saw Avatar and I was like, I'm painting myself for the baby. No, when I was in high school and I saw Wicked on Broadway, my high school sent me to Broadway to go see Wicked.
Speaker 1: Why and Yeah, Ryan was.
Speaker 2: Like an amazing actor in high school and then he completely lost it.
Speaker 3: I'm not my skills.
Speaker 2: He literally was like one of the best actors and people were like, you were you were?
Speaker 3: I was plucked. Yeah, I was plucked by like these like these like theater people to uh like be groomed I guess, I don't know, not in a sexual way, but to be groomed for the theater. Eventually, Yeah, it all leads to that Hollywood. And then I played Alan and Equis and I was truly it was so frustrated because I was truly amazing, like I was in this Equas thing, and they were like older guys who were like telling me to take my clothes. They're older guys who were actors, and they were like, how do you access these emotions? How do you become this character? How do you see the horse? And I and I literally I would do the scenes and I would like have to leave the room because I was so emotionally drained after doing them. I really did you were like a real actor. I was like, I can't be near you. I can't be near you. I gotta go Okay, So can.
Speaker 2: You speak to the thing of like kids being like having emotions that you're just like, where did you get this from?
Speaker 1: Kid?
Speaker 2: Like you can speak to that, because like when you see kids being good actors, you're like, what the fuck?
Speaker 1: Like, where are you pulling this from?
Speaker 2: You have been You've let their kids that aren't from broken homes you certainly weren't.
Speaker 1: How could you act?
Speaker 3: Probably well, I was from a broken life. I mean I think I did pull it. Like there was a play I was in where my parents were getting divorced, and I obviously was able to access my own parents divorced to but I think it I think what ruined it for me because one because then I went to college and I and I started auditioning for the plays there and and I was I went in as a theater major and I was doing this audition and I remember the moment where I was like, I can't act. I can't act anymore. I was sitting in an audition and I was sitting across from the person, the director or whatever, and I was doing my scene and I was like, I feel I felt like I was like hitting on her my character, like I felt like my character wasn't hitting on this character. It wasn't like a sexual scene. I was like, you know, brother and sister or something. And the way I was like playing it read like I'm like hitting not on the character, like I'm hitting on the director in real life. It's what it felt like. And I was like, what the fuck am I doing? I'm like flirting with the director and through this scene.
Speaker 1: What do you think it was that made you?
Speaker 3: I think I know exactly what it ought me comedy, because I was I was jumping into improv. I was thinking about writing stand up at the time, and I was like, now' I've I've removed myself from being in stuff, and I'm now an observer and a commenter on things. And you can't act if you're not in it, and you feel disingenuous and lame when you're like, I'm actually sad, and it's like the comedian's mind judging it too much. Yeah, the comedians mind, it's like, you're not actually sad about this, this is all fake. You want to come in.
Speaker 2: There and be like, yeah, you're cynical, cynical, and you cannot be cynical as an actor. You need to be so bought in. Yeah, wow, that's interesting.
Speaker 3: One step between acting and stand up is improv, where you are acting but you know it's a and so one of the biggest mistakes you can make in improv is be what they call uh in certain regions is like a wallflower where you sit back on the back line and you just comment on what other people are doing. And that's like a bad improv skill to have because you need to be in the scene. But it's the comedians. Because that's why stand ups are so bad at improv is because the comedian the.
Speaker 2: States too embarrassed to put to make ourselves look stupid.
Speaker 1: By the way, yeah, and improv you need to look stupid.
Speaker 3: So much so much. Yes, And the stand ups, mind is just make fun of those stupid things.
Speaker 2: Yes, Okay, that is the difference. I'm so cringed out. I improv not because I when I watch it for myself to do it. When I watch it, I really admire it, Yeah, but for myself. But I think there's a part of me that also judges it, and I think that other people are gonna judge me.
Speaker 3: Well, that's one of the lamest art forms that's ever been invented.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 2: I think I I'm obsessed with it recently. I'm just like been watching a lot of it. Yeah, I'm so impressed. And Okay, so Wicket's great.
Speaker 3: Yes, Wick, it's amazing. And I just want to warn people because I did not know this going in. It's part one. In part two, oh, I know, it's fucking split up.
Speaker 2: How long is it? And that's why everyone's saying. This is why the girls are crying all the time. It's because they have put everything they have into it. And I'm just like, I don't really care. It's still a movie. Stop crying. I'm not trying to be a jerk. I love Arianna. I'm sure Cynthia rivo is. I know she's incredible. They're both amazing. This movie's gonna be just he's gonna sweep the award shows.
Speaker 1: It's it's amazing.
Speaker 2: But it's just a fucking movie. Let's stop crying about it. And I just think these girls are on press tours and they're tired and they're hungry, and then they they get a little there's a little chance of like that of something that moves up and they're just like they they weaken and they fall.
Speaker 3: Because they're crying a lot. Promoting the movies, Arianna and Cynthia. Yes, and isn't there some.
Speaker 2: Weird like yes, she held her finger in a clip that is so funny wow, because a woman asks her if that like that? A woman tells Cynthia Rivo that the song defined gravity. A lot of queer people have been holding space for it.
Speaker 1: It's like, this, what does that mean? It doesn't really make sense.
Speaker 2: Cynthia Rivo is acting like she's found out, you know what, Like like like she's like really, it's like it's very confusing, Like what is shocking about this? And she was like, well, I've just seen it a couple of times that queer people are holding space for it. It's so confused, dude. It's this clip is going viral because it's so confusing.
Speaker 3: It's about being yourself.
Speaker 2: Finally starts crying a little bit, crying, getting like teared up, and then Ariana like comforts her and just like grabs her finger instead of the hand, just grasps like so funny.
Speaker 1: It's just the funniest thing.
Speaker 2: I mean, like it's just I think they are just over they're so tired from doing press that nothing. We should take nothing they say seriously anymore, and we should let them be and we should make fun of them because they're in a vulnerable state with how much the press they've been doing. Like you can't you can't judge anything they're doing. But it was still really funny.
Speaker 3: This is what it takes to have a movie sweep the nation like this, unless you get the Barbenheimer thing where Oppenheimer didn't do this, But you have to, like you have to invest like literally like three hundred million dollars into just marketing in order for everyone in the country to actually watch them.
Speaker 2: And I'm going to go see it this week with dress. I'm really excited. I know I'm gonna fucking love it. I know nothing about it.
Speaker 3: You've never seen Wicked or heard of Wicked.
Speaker 2: I mean, I know I've heard of Wicked, but I did not know what it was about. I didn't know they were going to Witch College or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they go to which college.
Speaker 1: And I know the.
Speaker 2: I know that, and then I know popular, but I don't know any words from You know.
Speaker 3: That it's based on the Wizard of Oz. I found that out like two Day's Frank Baums, okay, Wizard of Oz.
Speaker 2: One of them's green, it's Glinda and Alphaba. I know that Bowen Yang is in it. I love Yang nothing else.
Speaker 3: They really leaned into bow and Yang being funny throughout the entire movie.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, they were like.
Speaker 3: He's the funny one, so whenever we have a moment that needs to be funny, it will be him delivering it.
Speaker 2: They don't give it and they don't give it any chance to anyone else. To be funny, is what you're saying.
Speaker 3: Ariana Grande gets to be character funny where she's like because her characters interesting. She makes character moves that are not jokes, but like funny. Anytime there's like a straight up joke, it comes from Bowen Yang.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, it's good and bad.
Speaker 3: It's good, been bad, Okay, Bowen Yang does a great job. But it's also like we get that he's the comedy relief here, and so like, if this character is reading a little bit untrue because every single thing he says is literally a punchline.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: So it's like good and bad. It's he's funny, he's great in it. Obviously he can sing. I didn't know that. Yeah, and he's hilarious as a writer. I'm looking at it and I'm like, can you flesh him out a little bit since he's not just the punchline.
Speaker 2: Guy, right, Yeah, but that's ipicking. And then yeah, just to cap us off, like the biggest thing of my weekend was Emily sent me a text on I think Friday night that just said oh my god. And I was like, busy doing something. But whenever she says oh my god, I know it's like something on it, someone's commented on something on Instagram, someone's following me now, someone DMed me. And it was a video of Gracie Abrams, who's like my favorite artist right now, saying really nice things about me and.
Speaker 3: Whoa no way, yes, it's what does she saying.
Speaker 2: I didn't repost it because I didn't want to, just like it's screen recorded from like a YouTube video, but so I didn't like want to brag about it, but I do to the besties.
Speaker 1: I have to, like I send it to my family.
Speaker 2: I sent it to Chris because everyone knows what Gracie Abrams means to me right now, and it was like, oh my god, this person that you're like legit obsessed with.
Speaker 3: Gracie Abrams is like, you're a Taylor Swift.
Speaker 1: I know, I know.
Speaker 4: And she's basically saying, like, what about Nicky Glazer says like, I'm I'm in I love it.
Speaker 1: It's so nice.
Speaker 2: I'm almost uncomfortable by it because it's just too nice. But it was extremely validating to just hear Instagram. I'll post it on the Instagram. Yes, we'll post on Instagram.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we saw that you commented on Nicki Glazer's rendition of it. I mean, I love her. She's so good. I really love her. I think she's a genius. And so to see her care at all about anything that I've ever done is huge for me. Yeah, it's a big deal, but it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just like you know, you it just for me to like have to love someone that, like everyone knows. Over the past few months, I've become utterly obsessed with her in a way that is similar to the way I felt about Taylor Swift and I've never even expected anything to come from Taylor Swift about me in my life and never expected to and and I would never expect it from Gracey either. Like I just like love artists unabashedly. I'm not waiting for when are they gonna There was an interview I did recently where they go, whose phone call are you dying for?
Speaker 1: Who's phone?
Speaker 2: Who are you waiting for that phone call from? And I'm like, no one. Yeah, I don't expect anyone to be like, wow, we love I'm never like, when does that person get up notice me or acknowledge me?
Speaker 3: My father?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, I said Chris, because I had told him I was depressed the night before and he was like, do you want me to call you?
Speaker 1: And I go no, I'm just said what I want to call? And I'm like, that's who I'm waiting to call. I'm like, I said no, but it meant.
Speaker 2: But anyway, she said really nice things, and it was just a feeling I've never felt before of having someone that you like are just crazed over, Like I couldn't be more a bigger fan of Gracy Abrams right now and out of anyone in the world, like obviously Taylor Swift is my the OG, but like I'm in the very nascent stages of that kind of adoration for Gracy Abrams. I think she's that kind of artist. And so it just it's felt really good, nice thing, and I send it to everyone in my life that I love who loves me, because I'm like, this.
Speaker 1: Is a really special moment in my life.
Speaker 2: And and it was nice because if this would have happened a month ago, people wouldn't have known my Gracy obsession. But it has amplified so intensely over the last month. Even Chris I was like, we haven't been together for the past couple of months, but if you would have been around me, I'm listening to her NonStop. I have everything memorized. And he was like, I just got tears in my eyes. This is amazing. He keeps talking about it's really sweet.
Speaker 1: So thank you, Grazy.
Speaker 3: I love her, And that's where you're thankful for. Yes is Thanksgiving? Maybe today even listening to.
Speaker 1: Yes, Happy Thanksgiving?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Happy Thanksgiving.
Speaker 2: I'll say what my plates instructor said this morning, enjoy eating this holiday season. Don't be obsessed with your body, give yourself grace. Let yourself, do hold let yourself enjoy things, and do not let any comments about your body get you down. Anyone who comments on you is projecting and they're worried about their own self and they're jealous, or they are they deeply hate themselves.
Speaker 3: To somebody to the internet. When the Internet says, don't like to this holiday season, don't forget whatever you put in your body, your body remembers, and I'm just like, what fuck you?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: You like it's saying, don't don't binge during Christmas, or don't bing don't eat a bunch of candy and stuff during Halloween because Thanksgiving you.
Speaker 1: Have a couple more Christmases left. Yeah, Like, maybe have a good guy. Yeah, Christmas is the best.
Speaker 2: Holidays are the best time of year. It just like as a joyous time. Let that joy in. You might hate it because it reminds you of bad times in your family, but like, let it in a little bit and and love yourself this Christmas. Be your own family this Christmas. If your own family sucks, like, yeah, let the holiday spirit. And we don't know how many more of these we have and that we get in lives. We're not guaranteed even this one, so enjoy it. Eat is what you want. I had a cookie last night and I never have cookies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had several cookies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so have your cookies.
Speaker 3: I ate a cookie and then Chris bought more cookies and I was like, oh my god, and I ate those too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so eat your cookies.
Speaker 2: Let's have fun and uh, don't be cu and we'll see you next week, next year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll see you next year and before that too. Bye.
Speaker 2: The Nicki Glazer Podcast is a production by Will Ferrell's Big Money Players and iHeart Podcasts. Created and hosted by me Nikki Glazer, co hosted by Brian Frangie Executive produced by Will Ferrell, Hans Sonny and Noah Avior edited it engineered by Lean and Loaf, video production Mark Canton and music by Anya Marina. You can now watch full episodes of the Nicki Glazer podcast on YouTube, follow at Nikki Glazer Pod and subscribe to our channel