Speaker 1: Hey, we have Pennsylvania's finest with us, the great Hall of Famer Jason Stark, joining us right now. Jason, great to have you on. Good to see you, and I can see the look on your face. To me, the look is I just took a deep breath and finished putting out my epic article about my thoughts on awards. So how do you feel now that you put quote penda paper and it's released to the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a relief to actually get that thing written. It's not a relief to actually read the comments because you guys know how this works. When you make picks. I feel like ninety nine percent of America disagrees with every pick. Like there's sniping about how could you leave how could you put this guy in the tenth slot in your al MVP. Right, So that's kind of the fun of it, the debate. But it's overwhelming how people react to every little picky. Why we do this.
Speaker 3: We won't react to your ninth and tenth pick. We're going to just react to the standard ones, but as soon because it's fresh. When the when the article came out, did you ever did you get any comments that you were like, dang it, How could I have forgotten that point even though it may not have swayed? Why you made the pick? Did anybody make any solid points? Or was it just like? How on earth could you not put Ellie Daya Cruz in here? Mom shot wrong?
Speaker 2: Yeah? All right, Well we're just going to talk about who won. I would say nobody has raised anything that I hadn't thought about, because I'll be honest, man, I give this so much thought. I really try to think about everything, so I'm ready for that stuff. And I don't even have an actual vote on al MVP. But it was hard to sleep for a few nights there just thinking it through because I really wanted to vote for cal Raleigh. I wanted to pick that guy. I couldn't get there. I thought I would, but when I really looked at it, I couldn't get there. And I feel awful about that part. So that's not a thought process situation. That's just purely my emotions as someone who appreciates something special, something historic, something great, but didn't vote for that guy who did that thing.
Speaker 3: Why couldn't you get there? And how close did you get there? Like what factors made you get that close? But why couldn't you quite get there.
Speaker 2: Well, I wasn't a catcher for a living. I'm thinking that's probably one of your criteria. But I actually went into the process thinking I'm going to pick cal Raleigh. I'm going to make sure I talk myself into cal Raleigh. And then I couldn't do it. See, when we talk about history, it's a lot easier to follow history when you're counting home runs. Cal Rawly has hit sixty home runs. We all know it. It's a special number in the history of the game. It's a special number in our lifetimes. We know what sixty homers means. But there are other ways to make history. And you know, are we numb to how good at baseball Aaron Judges. This is a guy with a two to ten OPS plus. He is literally twice as good as the average player in his sport. And when I started looking at the gap between Judge and the next best hitter in his league, this was staggering. Man on base he's sixty five points ahead. Slugging, he's almost ninety points ahead OPS one hundred and seventy seven points ahead of cal Raley. And I went back and this took a long time. I thought to myself, how often could anybody have done this? Like? Who has had this season? So I went back. This is the ninety fifth season of MVP voting. In all that time, Eric, only two guys have had that big margin over the next best player in their league. I'm thinking you've heard of them. Ted Williams is one, Barry Bonds is the other. Now that's a form of history we don't keep track of. But wow, right that.
Speaker 3: Is that is and that's what we're doing. We're comparing they're not. You're not comparing Aaron Judge to the average player or cal Raley to the average player. You're comparing them to cal Rally to Aaron Judge. But yeah, what that's exactly right. What is your decision because in your article you said, I'm not going to make my vote until the season is over. Cal gets to sixty three? What say you, mister Stark?
Speaker 2: Look, I had to write this column for today, and right now, this minute, I think I wouldn't change my mind. But stuff can always happen that changes my mind. Like I'll know it if I see it. I'll know what if I feel it. Right now, I think that I got this right. I can tell you that if cal Raley was in the National League and I was debating Raleigh versus o'tani or Schwoerber or Soto or whoever else you want to put as the main competition, I would have gone cal Raleigh in the National League. But I don't get to make that choice.
Speaker 1: Thought father, You and me grew up in Jersey. We liked to collect cards, but the way the process got was ridiculous. You open up a pack, there's a bunch of cards you don't care about. Then you want to get certain ones graded takes forever right, then you want to maybe sell one.
Speaker 4: It's such a to do. Arena club has been the solution for us.
Speaker 5: Arena club has been a solution for everybody. You go online, go to Arena Club and you check out what they have. Put a little cash down. You might get one of the best cards that you've ever seen in your life, and autograph card and guess what, if you don't like the card, easily you could sell it back and make a little cash. You never know what to expect. It's a cool way of doing it. You're gonna get a surprise every time. And if you're in the cards, this is something you really need to get.
Speaker 4: Into Right now, you can get twenty percent off your first slap pack or card purchase by going to arenaclub dot com, slash foul and use code foul like Todd Father is talking about. With those slap packs, every pack is a grail that's at least twenty x the price of the pack. Check it out.
Speaker 5: Interesting. I love all your answers. They're so intricate, and you have a smile on your face when you do it. It's just incredible. I kind of wish you can go down the line and ask, like other ballplayers what they thought to kind of not sway you one way or another, but the feel like this is what these ballplayers feel like. Now on contraria, another guy Christopher Sanchez, he's one in the nl CY Young No, what say you there?
Speaker 2: I think the answer is no. You know, I picked Paul Skins. And if you're asking me, is there a case for Christopher Sanchez? There is definitely a case. But what is it? Where would you look at Sanchez versus schemes and say the answer is Sanchez other than what Baseball Reference wins above replacement and that is essentially a tie. Last I looked they were separated by what was it a tenth of a point? On under a point? That's a tie. Look at everything else, e er strikeouts, strikeout, ray Whip. Tell me where Christopher Sanchez would get your vote over Paul Skins.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, no, I wanted to hear what you had to say to that. That's why I was being funny. You know, think about this debate.
Speaker 2: If Paul Skins pitched for a normal team, you know, he pitched for a team where he could actually win a game where he gave up more than one run that did not happen to him this year, what would he have been like eighteen and three. We wouldn't even blink twice. But because he's ten to ten, he's gonna be the first starting pitcher to ever win this award without having a winning record. But how exactly is that his fault?
Speaker 3: Felix Hernandez almost almost did it, But yeah he was. He was kind of in the same situation American League, Cy Young. Is it cut and dry or should we look a little bit deeper into the other two candidates? I really only think there's one. It's Scooble and Crochet with Todd's Yankee love to Max freed in the back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, Crochet is amazing. I love watching that guy. I mean, this is the first year where I've ever actually had a chance to talk to him, and I really I love the way he thinks about not just pitching, but being a number one that's really important to him. He really accepts that responsibility. But there's something about Tarrek scubel Man that just separates him from everybody else. And when I watch him, here's that thing. He's that rare guy in our sport who has no fear of the bat. He doesn't fear anyone or anything, and all he does is fill up the strike zone and nobody can hit him. You know, this is the most simple way to explain that he throws the highest percentage of pitches inside the strike zone of any starting pitcher in the sport, and yet the contact rate against pitches he throws in the strike zone is the lowest of any starting pitcher in the sport. Who does that? I can find anybody like, there's some Randy Johnson had some close calls, and Pedro had some close calls. But in the twenty I think it's twenty two years at sports Info Solutions has kept this. I couldn't find anyone with that higher percentage of pitches in the zone and that lower contact rate in the zone. He's amazing to me. And it all starts with that.
Speaker 1: Jason, give us something else that you really enjoyed writing about, award Wise within the article, tell me.
Speaker 2: Who the American League Manager of the Year is. I don't have an answer for you on that one. I've changed my mind seven times this month. What's What's what's the right answer?
Speaker 4: M guys? What do you think?
Speaker 1: Todd Kratz, Do you guys have an answer?
Speaker 5: I would say I would go I'm just drawing a blank here, but I go with the Mariners manager the way the way they Wilson.
Speaker 1: That's a good pick. And I think John Schneider is a good pick too with the Jays. Kratz, what do you think?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: You gotta go with your first ever roommate we snored together.
Speaker 5: This is why, this is why he can never vote on anything, because.
Speaker 2: It actually don't don't we think the answer is steven vote if they complete this comeback, and that would mean it would be the first year in the history of manager the year voting that the same two guys won two years in a row. I mean, I think that's where it would wind up. But it's impossible, always impossible. Manager of the Year never been more impossible than this.
Speaker 3: Wow, all right, we'll give it to us. You got one vote this year. You're n L m VP.
Speaker 2: I've got n L m VP, and you're not gonna get me to give this up. He's not allowed.
Speaker 3: Can you give us the top What what you see as the domineering traits of the guys that are in the top five for the n L m VP.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, I did write a lot about that show. Hey, Otani guy just amazing to me how good he is at so many things before we even get into the pitching part where he's got a higher strikeout rate than Paul Skein's. Okay, so there's that. But then when you start ticking through the other candidates, kylesh Schwarber, what's the metric that measures Kyle Schwarber. I'm always afraid that my fellow voters are hung up on wins above replacement when they vote, and that's all they look at. And so no DH is ever going to be that guy who blows you away in the winds above replacement column. And yet the value of Kyle Schwarber exceeds is wins above replacement, It exceeds fifty six homers. He's the man on that team, one of the best teams in the sport, and we should all keep that in mind. I looked long and hard about Juan Soto because he's having a year between the on base, the power, and all the stolen bases that only Barry Bonds has had. And I don't know exactly where he lands on the ballot, but it's going to be high no matter what happens to the Mets. And then Herald Perdomo is a guy. I think it's clear now. We don't talk talk about him enough. I know it's not true in this show, but if you ask me who's the most underrated player in baseball right now today as we're talking, I think he's the answer. So I'd probably start with those four guys. But it's never easy to vote of these awards. That's a great call.
Speaker 4: I agree with you.
Speaker 1: I think Perdomo's the most underrated player in the sport right now for what he's putting together. I got one more for you on the awards, and we'll finish with the clinching scenarios for you. I love that you do the LVP and the sayyuk. I know it's not always easy to put that together, but hey, we're analyzing the league, the good and the bad. I'll mostly leave it for people to actually check out the article. But can you'd give me one out of the four that you picked out?
Speaker 2: Yeah? The lvps were especially hard this year, and I could not settle on an American League Least Valuable Player. You know, I had a few that I did the work on, including reaching out to executives on their team, you know, because so of course they all talk me out of it. And then I made this incredible discovery that the starting center fielder in the All Star Game for the American League, jave Baiez, has been the worst offensive player in the American League since that day. This guy has walked one time since June twenty fourth guys, one time. He's got a fifty to two to one strikeout to walk ratio and a weighted runs created plus since the break. Are you ready? Of thirty two thirty two, the average player in his league is three times better than he's been in the second half. And I didn't want to pick on him, even though I've given him this award before. But when his team is in the midst of this epical collapse, picking Hobby Baiaz kind of makes him the symbol of that collapse. Not to say he's waiting for it, but that's how I got there.
Speaker 5: A lot of scenarios going on this weekend here, which one you more intrigued on? I mean, you know the Yankees and the Blue Jays. You know, whoever loses is gonna find his way to be the top team in the AL.
Speaker 2: You got the Tigers, you got the Red Sox.
Speaker 5: One of those teams could be essentially kicked to the curb if they lose two out of three and Houston wins. Talk to me about this weekend and what you think, man, this is this is gonna be a fun, fun weekend.
Speaker 2: Se you guys root for chaos? I do, yeah, big time. So I have an article on the athletics site just posted talking about the potential tiebreaker chaos, And so I did this just because I was confused myself. So I started writing down on every possible scenario, and then it came to me we could have a four way tie. There aren't four spots left, but the Guardians, the Tigers, the Red Sox, and the Astros could all wind up with the same record. And I thought I knew how everything worked, but I wasn't a hundred percent sure at a check with Major League Baseball on that. But like, think about it, couldn't you see the Astros sweeping the Angels in Anaheim? I could? Couldn't you see the Tigers and Guardians both winning two or three this weekend, which would mean the Red Sox would win one out of three. If that happens, they all have the same record. So you want to know how we'd sorted out. I figured it out. First thing we do, we would break the tie in the Al Central. The Guardians hold that tie breaker won the season series from the Tigers. And then we've got a three way tie with the Reds, Tigers, and Astros, but only for two spots, the two and three wild card spots. The Astros would go home. And I mean that's based on mutual head to head records against each other. But I'm going to give you a rule of thumb as we head into this weekend. This is tiebreakers in fifteen seconds in the American League, the Astros lose every possible tiebreaker in the National League, the Reds win every possible tiebreaker. I have a much longer article that explains every possibility here, but just keep that in your head because that'll help you sort this out.
Speaker 3: All right, quick answer from you on this one. Do you regret writing the article part way through the year about cal Raley and me being parallel players or has it really come to fruition like you thought it was going to.
Speaker 2: You know, I thought at the time it was almost impossible to separate you guys. I'm thinking now he may have done that about you. You still think you guys are bonded.
Speaker 3: I think we're still together. I think we have a lot in common. We both have big butts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Betted power threats.
Speaker 3: I love that. I love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a different award category Jason hasn't gotten yet. Maybe one day, Jason. This was awesome. Great to catch up with you. Glad you got the article out for the world to absorb and attack and do whatever they do. Enjoy the final weekend. I am with you. My favorite team in baseball is chaos, so this is perfect for us this weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love it, guys. Always fun to appear on foul territory