Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: We made it. We did it. We made it to a Wednesday. It's our one. It's already been a great day, unbelievable day. Yesterday went to the supermarket and I'm walking down an aisle and I see the strawberry Nesley's Quick.
Speaker 3: Is that what it's called? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I haven't had it in forty years? And I said, you know what, I'm going to have some strawberry Quick. So I started my day with strawberry Quick. I think that's what it's called. Yes, Paulie.
Speaker 4: Why do you think that is? Because I think we all have that stuff we loved as a kid. We can now afford it and buy it anytime we want. Well, we don't eat it or drink it.
Speaker 3: Why is this?
Speaker 2: I have no idea, no idea, but it just jumped out at me. Haven't had it in forty years? Had it this morning? And I said, you know what, I'm going to have a second glass. That's how good I feel today. Marvin, you're a big strawberry Quick guy, aren't you.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, And now that I can afford it, I never have it.
Speaker 3: Hit it on the head.
Speaker 2: Why I don't know. I don't know what that is like ovaltine. There's certain things. I just walked by the aisle and I was going, God, there's a cornicopia of things that I might want to have for breakfast, and I decided on Strawberry Quick.
Speaker 3: Yes, Paulin.
Speaker 4: When I was in high school, grade school, I used to go through a sleeve of ruffles, Remember the what was the one pringles in the can where you get your ham stuck. I walk by them all the time. I never get them.
Speaker 5: Why is it?
Speaker 3: I wish I had that kind of willpower.
Speaker 6: I'll get the regular and the pizza flavor and the sour keep red onion.
Speaker 3: I can't make up my mind.
Speaker 2: You're coming out with cannisters there under your arm or for nine bucks?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Who could pass that up and not pass it?
Speaker 2: Alrighty Jim Nance is going to join us coming up next hour, Hello friends, and Robert Griffin Junior the Third will stop by as well. Got the big game coming up on CBS. It'll be Baltimore and Buffalo, So Jim will be doing that job that game with Tony Romo. This first hour brought to you by tyrac dot com, the official tire Experts of the Dan Patrick Shall go to tyrack dot com slash Dan the Tire Decision Guide, full lineup of Firestone tires, special offers free roade hazard protection. It's tire rack dot Com The way tire buying should be. Stat of the Day is always brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. Good morning, if you're watching on Peacock or if you're listening on our radio affiliates numbering over four hundred around America. All's quiet or all is quiet on the coaching front, at least so far, And you have the possibility of Mike McCarthy interviewing with the Bears today, and then you have some of these other coaches who are still in the postseason who aren't afforded that luxury. Now, the Dallas Cowboys with Dion Sanders, that's going to get a lot of run. That's going to play out until Dallas hires a coach. I don't think it's going to be dion I think Jerry Jones did Dionna solid d On is in negotiations for a contract extension at Colorado. He would normally be getting that. But if there's the possibility of the Raiders or the Cowboys. Maybe he's able to make some more money there. Because if you listen or read what Dion had to say about his conversation with Jerry Jones, he sort of implied inferred that he was offered the job. Hey, you know, humbled by this, but I got unfinished business at Colorado. I don't think there was an offer here. It wasn't reported as an offer. Dion kind of took it and said, basically, yeah, I'm not going to take this job right now. I got unfinished business. Wait a minute, I didn't offer the job to you. Now, maybe he gets around to doing that, because you know, normally when you fire somebody, we always at least think the owner has an idea who he's going to bring in. I truly believe that the Craft family with the Patriots knew they were bringing in Mike Brable, and probably knew that in December. They probably knew that a month ago where it's like this is not working out. They would have brought in Mike Brable if they weren't already contractually binded with girod Mayo, because they wrote it into his contract that he would be the successor to Bill Belichick. Then I think they quickly realized he was not ready to be a head coach. And it goes back to what I've said many many times, not every great coordinator, good coordinator, deserves to be a head coach. Ben Johnson is the object of desire right now. I don't know what he's like. I've never heard him interviewed. I don't know what it's like when you're up there and you're answering questions, you just lost a tough game. I don't know what kind of culture is he able to be around Dan Campbell and go I'm going to have that same culture wherever I go.
Speaker 3: I don't know is.
Speaker 2: He going to go to the Raiders? How does that go with Tom Brady's game this weekend? He's got that game, He's got the Wyons game with the Commanders. What happens if they show Ben Johnson on the sideline? Is Tom Brady, minority owner of the Raiders, allowed to talk about Ben Johnson? Does he have any insight info which I would believe he would. I like how the NFL makes it seem like this isn't a conflict of interest. Seaton brought up something this morning. He said imagine if Jerry Jones was going to be the analyst for a game. He love that and he's looking for a head coach. Is there a conflict of interest there?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 7: See yeah, I mean like, could you imagine Robert Kraft immediately like, well, you know here, Jerrodmeo really not get it done. I think we're going to fire him at the end of the game. And that means we're open for business. But the NFL, you know, the NFL is bending over backwards to help Tom. It feels like or looking the other way. Conflict of interest, that is what it is.
Speaker 2: And then you go back in the way back machine to how they went after Tom, like you know, they were going after him in a big time, big way, like they were investigating him. Then this is like, you know, he's with Fox, He's gonna be calling the Super Bowl. Let's play nice, probably his last year as a broadcaster. No conflict of interest here? Yes, eaton?
Speaker 7: I love Like this is such a blatant conflict of interest that's right in our faces. That makes me wonder what are the other conflicts of interest that they're also like, Ah, don't worry about that, that's no big deal. Don't worry about it, because this one is right in our faces. Everybody could see it. There's probably a million more that are behind the scenes. They're like, I just wink at that, don't worry about that.
Speaker 5: That's fine.
Speaker 2: What about if it's a blowout. Let's say the lines are up like twenty one with I don't know, seven minutes to go. You got to fill a little time, and all of a sudden, you're gonna go, uh well, Ben Johnson's gonna get a job Tom somewhere. Yeah, he certainly seems like a good candidate to me. Anymore on that, Tom, No, that's all I have.
Speaker 7: Raiders are looking to hire a new coach sometime before the draft.
Speaker 3: That they wait, is that your Tom Brady?
Speaker 7: All of a sudden, he's got a hardcore accent where he talks about you know, the podcast for the I was talking about the draft on the podcast.
Speaker 3: WHOA what dude? Where did that accent come from? Now? Now I'm going to be listening for that.
Speaker 6: Yes, Todd or Brady goes the other way and pretends he's not interested. It's like I Ben, everybody's on this Ben Johnson bandwagon. I don't know when everyone doesn't reson. Then he swoops in at the last minute when everyone thinks that the Raiders aren't interested.
Speaker 3: It's the Ben wagon. I think it's I'm on the Ben wagon here.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Does he go out of his way to say, yeah, I don't know, I don't get it, you know, all right, gimme keep plays.
Speaker 3: I don't know if that works consisted. Some are just coordinators.
Speaker 6: They're not necessarily going to make great head coaches.
Speaker 4: I don't know, yes, yes, or Brady goes the other way. Sam Laporta catches like a pass on. Mean, I cannot wait to see him dial that up for Powers next year.
Speaker 3: I can't wait.
Speaker 4: Like he just puts it all out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, So that's no conflict of interest there with that game coming up this weekend with the Lions and the Commanders.
Speaker 3: See, now you're going to listen.
Speaker 2: Now we're going to read into How many times do you listen to a game where you're going to be reading into maybe an ulterior motive. Troy Aikman came out after the last game that he and Joe did and said something about the Cowboys job not being a good job or desirable. But Troy is not part of the Cowboys, or he's not part of another organization ripping the Cowboys. Tom Is He's got his fingerprints all over this. He's he's going to be making these changes. He's making these decisions, but he's also going to be broadcasting a game where maybe the number one candidate for the head coaching vacancies is going to be coaching eight seven seven three DP show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle it DP show you got Tyler sitting by. He'll take your phone calls coming up and has always stat of the day brought to you by Pennini America. The official trading cards of this program. By the way, I have the Morning DraftKings odds. These are the best Super Bowl matchup odds. It's overwhelming that they think it'll be the Chiefs and the Lions. Then it's the Chiefs and the Eagles, Ravens Lions. So Chiefs and Lions plus three seventy Chiefs Eagles and the Ravens Lions plus five hundred, and then they have the Bills and the Lions plus five fifty.
Speaker 3: So they're not.
Speaker 2: Factoring in the Commanders or the Rams in this situation. And if you're betting the best odds, according to Vegas, will be the Chiefs and the Lions meeting in the Super Bowl.
Speaker 4: Yes, Paul, So as of today, Vegas likes the Eagles more than the Lions.
Speaker 3: They no, No, they have the Lions against the Chiefs.
Speaker 2: Oh, and then that's the Chiefs against Yeah, they have the Chiefs against the Eagles, got it, And then they had the raven No. They really like the Lions because they've got them facing the Chiefs and facing the Ravens and facing the Bills. So if I'm going to plan this, the Bills versus the Lions would be where I would go. Somebody's winning a Super Bowl here? Yeah, is that how they sell it? And welcome to the Super Bowl. Somebody has to win this game these and can you imagine the pain for one of these fan bases if Buffalo plays Detroit? Which fan base would hurt more if they lost this Super Bowl? Why I'm skewing negative eleven minutes in Dang. I started out great with Strawberry Quick, then I went to Brady conflict of interest, and now I'm talking about pain misery for a fan base.
Speaker 4: Yes, Paul, I think this is a good question, and my instant reaction was the Bills would have more pain. They've been expecting to get a Super Bowl for the past five years. They finally get there. They had the zero for four stretch. Lions never even had that stretch, and then you lose to the team that's never been there.
Speaker 2: But considering this is recency bias from you just lost in dramatic fashion last year for you're the Lions. So it's not like the Buffalo Bills back in the nineties when they're losing Super Bowls. It's this is the Lions team that's supposed to win the Super Bowl. Are we they're the favorites?
Speaker 4: Are we instituting the pain meter as of today?
Speaker 3: H sure? Yeah, Seaton, what's the pole question? I don't know.
Speaker 2: Do we want to start out with which fan base would suffer more? In a No, I can't do that.
Speaker 3: I can't do that today late, because that's what we're doing. By the way, if.
Speaker 2: You're going to be in New Orleans for the Super Bowl February fifth, at seven pm local time, I'll be at Tippatina's with Dan Levitard. It's Dan Interviews Dan, and we'll be there for ninety minutes, having a conversation, taking questions and saying hello to people. We still have some tickets, not a lot left, but information on the tickets can be found at Danpatrick dot com and across our social media platforms. Is that the pole question we're going with?
Speaker 3: Seed, It's definitely one of them. Wow, that's for sure.
Speaker 7: Which fan base would suffer more if they lost the Super Bowl? Buffalo Bill's Detroit Lions. That is a lot of fun we gonna also put up there. Tom Brady being an NFL broadcaster and owner is a massive conflict of interest or no big deal?
Speaker 2: Well, let's go round the room here, because I want to be fair to the topic here, Todd, do you think it's a conflict of interest that Brady is a minority owner while calling games?
Speaker 6: I think it's a conflict of interest. But if the phrase is massive conflict of interest, I would lean the other way. I think it's a conflict of interest. I don't think it's a massive conflict.
Speaker 7: With Okay, Seaton, Uh, okay, maybe we'll take out massive then I would say it is a massive conflict of interest. Okay, right then, especially more like the more that it's not exactly a new story, but the more that it sits with me, and the more that everybody's just kicking around head coaching candidates and all this stuff, and You're like.
Speaker 3: You got this dude doing kay? This is crazy. How in the world can you allow that to happen? Marvin? Conflict of interest?
Speaker 5: As much as I love minority owner in the NFL, now conflict of interest.
Speaker 3: No, it is oh, okay, okay, Pauly conflict of interest.
Speaker 4: It's the definition of con of interest. It's direct, it's not even like a layer removed. And what's worse is the NFL gave Tom special treatment to make it happen. They let him become a broadcaster and approved him becoming an owner, which they did not have to do in any way.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like I they could have kept him in the on deck circle before, you know. But I don't think the NFL wants him to get out of the broadcasting booth. I think that they want him there. I think Fox of course wants him there, and he's going to be doing the Super Bowl. But as I've said for the last couple of months, it feels like he's moving on to something else, and maybe he's won and done during these games and he gets to do a Super Bowl.
Speaker 4: Yes, Paul, it's kind of like what Seton said, almost jokingly about Jerry Jones. Would they make him a broadcaster? If I were an NBA broadcast team, I would consider hiring someone like Mark Cuban to be on my staff. But the conflict would be he owns the Mavericks and you couldn't. But he's a star, he's a good guy, he talks well. If I'm a can the NBA do this? I don't think they could.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: I think he's now a minority owner with the Mavericks, so it would be identical if he was doing games. I think Mark sold a good portion of the Dallas Mavericks.
Speaker 3: I think so.
Speaker 2: All right, let me take a break. When we come back, Mike Tomlin has a lot to say, we'll react and look at the Steelers' issues after this Dan Patrick show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 8: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 3: You could catch us.
Speaker 8: Weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything, life, sports, relationships, what's.
Speaker 3: Going on in the world.
Speaker 8: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the store reason in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media.
Speaker 3: That's Covino and Rich coming up in an hour from now. Robert Griffin the Third will stop by as well.
Speaker 2: Whenever you read something about Jaden Daniels and they talk about big picture of Wow, this is unbelievable. The last time we saw a quarterback in Washington b like this, it was Robert Griffin. And then it's the cautionary tale of is he going to end up like RG three, who had this meteor was great right out of the gate, and then he got banged up because they'd eventually catch you. And I thought at times RG three didn't avoid contact, and the cautionary tale for Jade and Daniels. When you can avoid the big guy on the other side in a different colored uniform, you don't have to be a tough guy. We're okay with that, you know. Ever since Franco Harris ran out of bounds, remember how big a deal. Well, if you're old enough, Franco Harris of the Steelers, he ran out of bounds. It didn't take on contact, and oh my gosh, all of these old school running backs. Jim Brown like what are you doing running out? And Franco was like, I'm gonna live to see another play here, Like I'm okay, I got four Super Bowls. I want to preserve myself. I don't think we have a problem now. If you run out of bounds. But back then, oh my gosh, Franco Harris ran out of bounds. Running backs don't do that, uh they do. Now, watch little basketball. Last night, Yannis had thirty three, eleven and thirteen and the Bucks beat the King. So Janice has fifty triple doubles. There's seven active players with at least fifty triple doubles. Marvin, this is in your wheelhouse. So you have seven active players with at least fifty triple doubles.
Speaker 5: Go ahead, Jokie Yes, Westbrook, Yes, Lebron, Yes, DeMar Derozen.
Speaker 9: No.
Speaker 3: After the obvious ones, I'm kind of lost. No, this one's obvious, too, very obvious. Seton.
Speaker 2: Did you say hardin Woh that's a sneaky good one. Yep, bloop Marvin, Amu Green, Oh, Paul, that's my guess. Okay, very obvious. Oh yes, Marvin, forgive me, Luca, Yes, one more, one more. This one's the fun one. At least fifty triple doubles active player Yiannis Yannis noahs, nah, this guy just had a monster rebounding night.
Speaker 3: Monster.
Speaker 2: I can see I can see the wheels turning, that puzzled look that I always had when I was in class, like, uh, hope, they don't call on me.
Speaker 3: Marvin Bonus J did it, didn't He just have twenty eight rebounds in a game. Bonus coverage. Yeah, WHOA, Okay, you're in the Sabonis. Yeah. So I was watching a little bit of that last night. Got basketball coming up tonight.
Speaker 2: You got Spurs and the Grizzlies, My Rockets against the Nuggets, the Warriors against the Timberwolves. Mike Tomlin had his end of the season press conference and there were a lot of topics here, including this one. A reporter brought this up to Mike Tomlin, what's your.
Speaker 6: Message to any team that may reach out to the Steelers to gauge interest or availability and in your services.
Speaker 3: I have no message.
Speaker 4: Save your time, Yeah, Paul, I have no message, but I want to give this message to those teams. He just said, I have no message, followed up one second later with a message.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's like when somebody says I have nothing to say, and then they go on and say a hold on. Here is Mike talking about the criticism of what he has done in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 10: I understand the nature of what it is that we do. The attention and criticism that comes with it. As a matter of fact, I embrace it, to be quite honest with you. I enjoy the urgency that comes with what I do and what we do. I don't make excuses for failure.
Speaker 3: I own it.
Speaker 10: But I also feel like I'm capable, and so as long as I'm afforded an opportunity to do that, I will continue. But I certainly understand their frustrations, and probably more importantly than that.
Speaker 2: I share it, okay, And then he talked about the quarterbacking situation, situation moving forward, because we keep talking about this. They haven't had a quarterback since Ben Roethlisberger. How much is Mike Tomlin to blame for that? He's in these conversations. Seems like a really powerful guy in the organization. I don't know when it comes to the topic of quarterbacks. Mike doesn't weigh in on this. But they've made some moves, they've drafted some players, and they are still looking for their quarterback. Here is Mike Tomlin about who is his quarterback.
Speaker 3: We don't have a.
Speaker 10: Quarterback under contract, and so we got some major discussions there. It was a really good experience with the three quarterbacks that were on our roster this year. We certainly are open to considering those guys, but there's a lot of work ahead of us, and the major work obviously starts first and foremost with just understanding what our options are, what the field looks like in terms of free agency, what the draft pool looks like, and then beginning the process in terms of decision making based on you know, known variables.
Speaker 2: You look at their draft history, at least recent draft history, it feels like just about every year they drafted a wide receiver in the second round. Does that sound about right, Paul, second or third round? It was always going to be a wide receiver. Even in that draft with Kenny Pickett. I think they drafted offensive line and then they drafted another quarterback. They drafted a couple of wide receivers, maybe a tight end in there, and it just didn't work out. And I just saw where this may not mean any to you. Deontay Johnson, he just got waved by the Texans. I think he's twenty five. I think a couple of years ago he had over one hundred catches maybe one o seven with the Steelers. He's out a football at least. He just got waived by a team in you know, that was in the postseason. In the postseason. Currently what happened. He was with the Steelers, and the Steelers have had a few of these wide receivers. Now, I know Antonio Brown and I still believe that hit by vontez Berfeck messed up Antonio Brown. Now is he a big personality?
Speaker 3: The Steelers?
Speaker 2: You know, for an organization that seems pretty I don't want to say boring, but they're conservative, they end up with these wide receivers who got big personalities like George Pickens. Is George Pickens a Steeler next year? I don't think so, Yes, PAULI.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you look at the Steelers semi recent history to Pickens second round and like you said, it feels like his career is teetering. A couple of years ago, Chase Claypool twenty twenty two, how'd that work out?
Speaker 3: Oh wow?
Speaker 4: And then they shafted the Bears on the way out and they traded.
Speaker 2: That was one of those And I remember talking to an NFL scout who's a friend and he was like, hey, Chase Claypool, you'll you'll be talking about him. And then when he got what traded to the Bears, and I said, are we still going to be talking about him? He goes yeah in a negative way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Paul.
Speaker 4: The Steelers took Deontay Johnson in the third round twenty nineteen.
Speaker 3: He's gone.
Speaker 4: They took James Washington in round two in twenty eighteen. He's out of football. Juju Smith Schuster, he did well for a while he was twenty seventeen, but now he's playing elsewhere. You can go back to Sammy Coates in twenty fifteen, Martavius Bryant in twenty fourteen. Oh, he was a thing for a little while out of Clempson. He sure was this first two years he was on his way. Yeah, a bad history.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they They've had a lot of receivers go in there.
Speaker 2: But okay, this still I have to put some of this on Mike Tomlin that you're part of the drafting process here. Mike's got control, or at least a good portion of that, so this this falls on him as well. Okay, you got to find your quarterback. We keep hearing about that. Got to find our quarterback. Okay, then find your quarterback. Why haven't you found your quarterback? What did he think of Kenny Pickett when they drafted him. Would they use a first round pick on Kenny Pickett? Does that sound right, Paul?
Speaker 4: Yeah, And a lot of people were surprised because they had mixed grades on him. And I think he was the twenty third pick of the draft.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, And it feels like the Steelers are always picking there, like the twenty third pick of the draft, the twenty six, twenty second and you know, take an offensive lineman. They always you know, they've done well with some defensive players there. But this is an organization that you've had quarterbacks before, and that just shows you, you know it is It is an inexact science to find your quarterback, and when you do, you hold on for dear life.
Speaker 3: Yes, Paully.
Speaker 4: The other thing about the Steelers they never stink. So they never have a top five, top ten draft pick. Rarely do they have one. They haven't had a draft pick, first round draft pick inside the top ten. You may have to go back to Ben Roethlisberger.
Speaker 2: Okay, these two quarterbacks aren't trade up worthy. I don't think if you're the Steelers, are you can you bring in somebody?
Speaker 4: Do you?
Speaker 9: You know?
Speaker 2: They might just bring back these quarterbacks as bridge quarterbacks again. But then what is Russ going to cost me? Because Russ has gotten accustomed to getting paid really really well. Denver picked up the tab last year, so what would he cost you? And is he going to be wanting a two or three year deal? So well, the Steelers, they might have a better than five hundred record again next year, but you got to win a postseason game. As great as Mike Tomlin has been, he'll be a Hall of Fame coach. But this is really inexcusable. Yeah, Pauline, they do have the brutal division. The Bengals should not be down. They were down a little bit this year, but you can't expect it. We talk about the NFC North being brutal. Steelers, it's uphild the entire season except for.
Speaker 3: The Browns games.
Speaker 2: And you know, Miles Garrett did come out and say, hey, the Browns aren't that far away. I don't know, like far away from who or what? No, you got, you're not that far away from the first pick in the draft. Do they take a quarterback?
Speaker 3: Don't you have to? They should bar them from taking quarterback. That should be like a league mandate.
Speaker 2: No, no, if you take one I'm you don't want to give a quarterback two thirty million dollars guaranteed. That's what they got to stay away from. But if you can get Shudor Sanders, would you take Shadoor Sanders if cam Ward goes number one or the other way around. Because Cleveland is going to need a quarterback, I don't. I don't think that Deshaun Watson plays next year. I don't think he plays again. I don't think so. So Tennessee is going to have the first pick. Tennessee needs a quarterback as well. But if I'm Tennessee, can you survive another year and maybe trade out of that. I always look at trading down. I think there are a lot of franchises who have done extremely well trading down, gathering picks and making sure you don't have just one really good player or you pin everything on that one player. A couple of phone calls Doug in North Carolina, Hi Doug, Welcome back, Hey Dan.
Speaker 9: I'm thinking about Chris Spillman today. If you're a Lions fan, you've come to terms with the fact that you're probably going to lose Ben Johnson and Aaron Glenn, and now it looks like you're going to lose Chris Spielman. Chris Bilman is the unsung hero in the turnaround of the Lions. He's largely responsible for hiring Brad Holmes and Dan Campbell, and two days ago he interviewed with the Jets to become their next GM. And I love Chris Filman. Not only was he a great player. Watched the interview he gave with you three years ago when he talks about losing his wife and falling in love again. He just comes across as a genuine and sincere guy, and you want him to You just want something better for him than the Jets. I know we're going to lose him, but I hope it's not to the Jets. It's like your best friend introducing you to the new girlfriend that you know is trouble. He's got a past. I hope he gets something better than that.
Speaker 2: Doug, again, thank you for the Oysters big hit. They were wonderful, and thank you again for that kind gesture.
Speaker 9: Sure absolutely, it's my pleasure.
Speaker 2: And we'll look forward to getting more of those next year. Of course, this should be a yearly basis, not just a one and done. Let's see Amber and Pasadena Good morning, Amber, good morning.
Speaker 11: Il was wondering if you can give a shout out to my dad. They recently lost their their house to the fires at Altadina. It left me nothing but the cats, and he can use a good picking up what's your father's name, Amber, Steve Hudson and Judy Hudson.
Speaker 2: Well, hopefully they have better things to do than listen to the show, but if he is listening and we can pick up your spirits in any way, you know, it's that we tried to be a diversion the best we can and certainly try to understand everything that people are going through. And as people say, oh, well you're still alive, but you lost a lot. When you lose, people say well you lost you lost your house. No, you lost a home, and there's a difference. All you can always rebuild. It's not that simple. And Amber, thank you. I can hear it in your voice. You know this is very, very emotional for people, and you can understand why when you see some of the overhead pictures and it's just an entire neighborhood. Neighborhoods just wiped out. If I said, hey, I'm going to show you a picture of Ukraine, and I said, no, it's not. It's you know, that's Pacific Palisades. Like you wouldn't believe that that happened, but it did. And Amber, thank you for calling in and a shout out to your parents getting the pets out, people who are taking pets, bringing people in, people are doing all this charitable work, raising money, wonderful things there. It's a long long road ahead. And I've said this before. My friend and his wife and two daughters, they got out. They actually drove to Vegas and they've been kind of hold up there and they said, there's no reason to go back anytime soon, that this is something that's going to be a couple of years in the making.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 2: And then what are you going back to? And then even you know, you have remorse from people who their house survived, that they're dealing with that and trying to in the best way they can be there to help people take people in. And there are a lot of people who have done that. And I'll go back to the first responders and the firefighters. You're heroes, true true heroes. Take a break, play the Day up.
Speaker 1: Next, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 12: Wapp Oh my God.
Speaker 3: Of the day. This is no play of the day.
Speaker 4: Check this out Beltas Talks, Check five Gastar.
Speaker 1: Kid want to shift go by?
Speaker 8: See what time?
Speaker 10: Or John on.
Speaker 1: Septembe a long time.
Speaker 3: That's courtesy of Altitude Sports Network. That's your play of the day. Play of the Day brought to.
Speaker 2: You by Hottest Rookie's biggest superstars, the old time Greats. The only place to collect them all in any trading cards, official trading cards to the Dan Patrick Show, for instance, classics, autograph cards, memorabilia cards, rare inserts and more. Started continued collection out Candia America dot net. Anybody saw sat on the glass at a hockey game, like right there in that first row, Yes, Tom.
Speaker 4: I did it.
Speaker 3: A minor league game.
Speaker 6: Was a Hartford Wolfpack game, and my son was about two, and as soon as the players smashed into the he started hysterical crying and it was a disaster. The pr people came over and hand him a puck and stickers and like a little candy bar or something.
Speaker 3: And he just wanted to go home.
Speaker 5: And it was just a mess I thought he was old enough to go out to handle it.
Speaker 3: I look at these great seats and as soon as bang, that was the end of that. He is two.
Speaker 6: Yeah, maybe I jumped the gun.
Speaker 3: I'll be frightened by something.
Speaker 5: Wait until four or five at least.
Speaker 3: That was just a messy. But you were being a good dad. You got him great seats on the glass there. I thought it would be.
Speaker 6: Fine, but the public relationshpeople were really nice. They couldn't give him enough cards and all kinds of goodies.
Speaker 4: Yes, the only reason you bring anyone to sit against a glass at a hockey game is because you want to show off that you had that kind of access. The two year old's gonna cry and he doesn't realize that dad's cool yet. You gotta wait till.
Speaker 3: At least five mm. Okay, yeah, seating.
Speaker 7: I once went to a minor league hockey game and the tickets were given to me for free by a radio staate that I was working for at the time, and they're like, hey, we got you a suite. It's like up, it's awesome, it's super sick. I was like, hell, yeah, this is great. So I get there, went with the person I was with at the time. We were the only two people in the suite, and there was probably fifteen people in the entire arena, so we could have had any seat that we wanted, and instead of being right up on the glass, we were two thousand feet up or however, I don't know how many feet it is, but we were all the way up away from everybody. Couldn't really it would have been cool if there was like food and stuff in there, but we were the only two people.
Speaker 3: There was nobody in the entire arena. We could add any seat we wanted.
Speaker 2: My first hockey game NHL game was Rangers Islanders in the Garden. Ken Morrow scores the game winning goal. So the Islanders with that great championship, their Stanley Cup run, and you had Billy Smith there and I was behind the glass watching that, and a friend of mine was there with me, and he said, I'm gonna just let you know, not all hockey games are like this, because that game, to this day, I've never I don't think I've ever been to a sporting event that had that much tension attached to it. Then the Rangers and the Islanders in the garden and Kenny Morrow the US Olympian scored the game winning goal, and there are a lot of Hall of Famers in that matchup there.
Speaker 3: All right, we'll get phone calls coming up.
Speaker 2: I just saw this that the San Francisco Giants have a pitcher named Tyler Rogers. He became a father two weeks ago, and they just announced that over social media they have named their child and they have named him Nolan Ryan Rogers.
Speaker 6: Fabulous.
Speaker 9: I like it. I like it.
Speaker 2: You better bring some heap, That's all I'm gonna say. You imagine if he gets out there and he's a junk ball pitcher. Come on, you're named after Nolan Ryan. Nolan Ryan could probably still throw ninety if I gave him six weeks. How old is Nolan Ryan. Nolan Ryan's got to be late seventies something like that. I think I could probably if I gave him six weeks, Nolan Ryan could probably get up to.
Speaker 3: Miles seventy seven years old.
Speaker 2: Seventy seven, Well, he could definitely throw his age, that's for sure. But time's running out of you know, being able to throw your age. But you know, he could live to be ninety, so he could probably come close to throwing ninety miles an hour. You know, we talk about people when they play golf. Can you shoot your age? You know, somebody is seventy four and they shoot a seventy four. That's a big deal for Nolan Ryan. I don't think if he's ninety, he's throwing ninety todd and.
Speaker 6: He may have some control issues at this point. He already walked a lot of batters in his primes.
Speaker 3: I can't imagine.
Speaker 4: Yes, Paul Tyler Rogers is the relief pitcher. He doesn't even throw sidearm. It's it's almost like a submarine pitch where his hand is almost scraping the tar.
Speaker 3: Really wild delivery.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like the name. I like the name Nolan Ryan, Rogers, Luke and Charlotte. Hey Luke, what's on your mind?
Speaker 3: Welcome back?
Speaker 9: Hey Dan.
Speaker 11: I've just had three quick things. First thing, Duck basketball, shout out big game and Purdue. Never been a Duck football fan, never been a football school. All in on basketball. That's my story and I'm sticking with it. Second thing, Dealers, I have a rough Steelers plan. I want to cut Russ pick up fields fifth year, and then I like club Nick the next year's draft. Who knows a feedal workout. Third thing, though, in my main point was I just saw a episode of I think you've had him on the show before, of a Joel Klatt show, who did like an hour of if he was college football commissioner, what would he do? And it's probably the most intelligent hour of football talk I've ever heard. I think he'd be a great guests to have on. I mean, he goes over the schedule, transfer portal calendar, playoff format, revenue sharing, it's just fantastic. I think it'd be great to have on to talk about it.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, thank you Luke for that heads up. Yeah, they're limiting the transfer portal window. I think the ten days, Like there's still this is a moving topic. This is fluid college football and everything that's going on, and it will continue this way for a while. And as I mentioned, it got a little press, which is not why I told you. I told you because you listen to the show. But you know we'll eventually get to a sixteen team format, and I was told that they will save this for the next media agreement that begins in twenty thirty two. I think we're going to have a fourteen team format and that will happen a lot sooner, probably in twenty twenty six, because in twenty twenty six the college football playoff off. They I guess the sec in the Big Ten have deferred formal decision making, uh, you know, the formal decision making process, and they'll probably wait. That's when the new agreement starts in twenty twenty six. That's probably when we're going to go to fourteen teams. Morgan in Maryland, Hi Morgan, Hi Dan, I had a favor.
Speaker 12: I was wondering if you could wish my husband Scotty a happy thirty fifth birthday. Even though he is a Steelers fan, he is an amazing husband and father, and I have to give him credit where credit is due. He's the one that introduced me to your show years ago, so I got to give him that as well.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, all right, Morgan, great to hear from you.
Speaker 2: How about a happy birthday for Scotty.
Speaker 3: Roots for a team that always has a winning record. Yes, Paul.
Speaker 4: If you guys were twenty two to twenty three years old and the girl you're dating was the fan of the rival team to your favorite team, any problem with that at twenty two?
Speaker 5: No, fritzy.
Speaker 6: She have to be pretty hot, because that would be difficult if she's like waiting for the Raiders and I'm like in my orange and blue, I have to really be enjoying what's going on there too.
Speaker 3: Well, what would she say about you? Yeah, I'm just saying I suppose that's I mean, I'm just saying, we got to look at both sides.
Speaker 6: She already to agree to be my girlfriend, and I'm not like some millionaire sub desisions, not off with my money.
Speaker 5: So it's to admit something else that i'd break to the table.
Speaker 3: Whoa, whoa, wait a minute, So let let's ride ring in it.
Speaker 5: That's what happens with body stuffs will happen?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no it isn't. No it doesn't. No, it doesn't. Jim Nance will join us on the program coming.
Speaker 6: Up, Family Show, Family Shown.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what are you doing? I don't update the pole results. Give you a new Pole question for Pole question for hour two